Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 94   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh no you dint!  (Read 240347 times)

0 Members and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #930 on: June 29, 2014, 05:06:33 pm »

I really hope I can grow up to be chill and wise instead of mean and angry like that famous guy.
He should just eat his square bagel and shut the fuck up is what you are saying?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #931 on: June 29, 2014, 07:30:32 pm »

I did not click that link but anyone who is given a square bagel has reason to be angry.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #932 on: June 30, 2014, 08:12:58 am »

I think getting mad about a bagel is the epitome of childish futility. I get it, he's a comedian, he's being funny, but I don't aspire to be a comedian, I just want to one day be a human with a less toxic emotional life. Getting mad about bagels or what bands people like or how people like their coffee is never going to lead to anything but suffering. I agree that that advertisement is infuriating. I wish I could live in a world where everything didn't cater to morons but it ain't happening.

I retyped this 20 times trying to make it sound less preachy and I can't figure it out. Sorry.

Let me know if any of you guys know the one weird trick to know how dumb literally everything/everyone in the world is without getting so mad that you make yourself miserable. I have figured out that part of it is finding a way to do things for their own sake.
As the wise birthday boy has said, the reward for work is more work.

The good news is, looks like there might be good bagels near my new house. There are not bagels in St Louis except the grocery store kind.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #933 on: June 30, 2014, 12:25:19 pm »

This weekend in New Jersey someone gave me the wrong kind of jelly doughnuts, but I didn't get mad. I politely asked for the right one and explained that I had come all the way from Maryland for jelly doughnuts. I like to believe that there is a way to return the wrong jelly doughnut without being a dick to strangers.

You have every right to expect good bagels in that part of New Jersey. If they also have the right kind of jelly doughnuts, the ones that are rectangular and have granulated and not powdered sugar on them, I may have to come visit you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #934 on: June 30, 2014, 02:03:07 pm »

Let me know if any of you guys know the one weird trick to know how dumb literally everything/everyone in the world is without getting so mad that you make yourself miserable.

As for this - on the one hand I feel like I have to warn you that in one sense this will only get worse. The more years I have been alive, the more things I have become well-informed about, so the more things make me want to scream when someone says or does something stupid in those areas.

On the other hand I think lately I am managing to cultivate the self-discipline to just step away. Last week there were three things in two days that made me want to write an angry letter to the Washington Post, and I didn't. Today, I was about to unfollow an editor at Slate whose tweets generally give me one of two angry reactions: A, that is interesting but they should have hired me to write it because I would have done a better job and why can't I ever get a gig writing for a place that actually makes their writers famous or B, they should have hired me to write that because what they ended up with is bullshit. But then I decided not to unfollow her because it is good practice for stepping away and not engaging with something that makes me mad.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #935 on: June 30, 2014, 02:24:50 pm »

As for this - on the one hand I feel like I have to warn you that in one sense this will only get worse. The more years I have been alive, the more things I have become well-informed about, so the more things make me want to scream when someone says or does something stupid in those areas.

On the other hand I think lately I am managing to cultivate the self-discipline to just step away. Last week there were three things in two days that made me want to write an angry letter to the Washington Post, and I didn't. Today, I was about to unfollow an editor at Slate whose tweets generally give me one of two angry reactions: A, that is interesting but they should have hired me to write it because I would have done a better job and why can't I ever get a gig writing for a place that actually makes their writers famous or B, they should have hired me to write that because what they ended up with is bullshit. But then I decided not to unfollow her because it is good practice for stepping away and not engaging with something that makes me mad.

Amen! The more I learn to do this, the happier I am.  I've become a lot more consciously selective about what I'm willing to get emotionally involved with. Can I change the situation?  No?  Not much point in burning new holes in my stomach over it then.  Yoga and the dang ol' Serenity Prayer.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #936 on: June 30, 2014, 04:46:46 pm »

Yeah, can I change the situation or influence it in any way? That's what I am trying to think about. In my experience writing to the newspaper is usually futile, because even if they print a letter, it's so dissociated from the original article that it doesn't correct the information for the people who read it. Comments on the internet are at least there with the article, but it's easy to see which are the places where they will get drowned in a sea of idiotic comments. The time spent there is unlikely to have any useful effect.

On the other hand, there are cases where I can communicate directly with the author and I feel like I have a chance of making sure that they don't continue to pass on misinformation. That's worth it. There are sites and people who post on Facebook where comment threads are sometimes actually interesting discussions with only a few ignorant people who might be educable. That's worth it. There are cases where I can put it on a list of things to write about elsewhere to inform a different set of readers of the correct information. That's worth it and even a possible moneymaking proposition. Otherwise I try to move on.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #937 on: June 30, 2014, 05:06:24 pm »

Yeah, it's generally worthwhile posting things here because the audience quality is so good.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #938 on: June 30, 2014, 06:20:44 pm »

Wombat, one thing you've failed to consider is that the powers that be actually like those ill informed post because they are red meat to their fans as well as the detractors. They don't care if it's accurate.  It's very cynical and calculated. If they hired you they would get well informed and reasonable writing, but that just doesn't sell in today's market.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:26:02 pm by pmcd9 »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #939 on: June 30, 2014, 07:46:21 pm »

The kind of sites you're talking about I don't even read, because that's step number -1 to stepping away from things that make you mad.

The kind of stuff I'm talking about is mostly the kind of writing you get when you hire a generalist instead of someone who knows a beat. It means well, but is crazy superficial, or uses people as sources who they'd know has an axe to grind if they knew the topic, or repeats common wisdom that has little or no factual support... that sort of thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #940 on: July 02, 2014, 07:01:33 am »

the older and more experienced I get, the weirder infatuation is. Still very powerful, but damn, I definitely know better than to have this intense of a crush on someone I am about to move very far away from. And I know that part of this infatuation is because I am freaked out and anticipating loneliness in my new home.

ughhhh she's sending me cool anime videos though, that's unfair. My asexual and uncool interests aren't supposed to interact with my "hip" and romantic interests like this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #941 on: July 03, 2014, 02:40:36 am »

I had not previously considered an intersection between 'anime' and 'asexual' existed.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #942 on: July 09, 2014, 12:28:06 pm »

I am sorry if I am a terrible person but I am turning off the radio when there is news about the middle east. I am too old. I have been hearing news about conflict in the middle east my whole life now. So it isn't news. Tell me if something different happens - that will be news. If people in the middle east STOP killing each other, that would be news. If the world is falling apart in a NEW way, that would be news. It's very simple: Bombings in Israel etc - not news. Zombie apocalypse - news. Isn't that simple enough?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #943 on: July 09, 2014, 02:17:42 pm »

I am sorry if I am a terrible person but I am turning off the radio when there is news about the middle east. I am too old. I have been hearing news about conflict in the middle east my whole life now. So it isn't news. Tell me if something different happens - that will be news. If people in the middle east STOP killing each other, that would be news. If the world is falling apart in a NEW way, that would be news. It's very simple: Bombings in Israel etc - not news. Zombie apocalypse - news. Isn't that simple enough?

Oh my yes.

When did I get so jaded.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #944 on: July 09, 2014, 04:22:43 pm »

Ways I make myself feel less worried about moving: I set up a "freak out fund" in my bank account. $2 a day will be moved to a separate little digital envelope, and after a few months of that I will have what it takes to fly to St Louis for a long weekend. Or New Year's Eve or something! Nice.

I made a list of everything I need to get done before I leave and it is freaking me out. One thing at a time, self.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 94   Go Up