Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 94   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh no you dint!  (Read 240298 times)

0 Members and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1245 on: January 18, 2015, 01:34:16 pm »

Speaking of That Too...

We're going out to visit the old carpenter uncle and such this weekend and that always means evenings are for visiting and sipping.

Unfortunately, old carpenters have taste-buds (and tastes) as hard as their hands. To avoid drinking from a plastic 1.75L jug of Kessler (also known as "bathing in kerosene") I found this at my local BevMo!. I'm looking forward to trying it out and also sharing the 'secret knowledge' of what a goddam whistle pig really is.

That stuff's made in Vermont.  Vermont.

You don't see us dabbling in maple syrup do you?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1246 on: January 18, 2015, 04:47:53 pm »

OK, I need outside adult opinions on this. My roommate is going UP THE WALL about how "loud" our upstairs neighbors are. By this, she means that they walk around "really loudly" in their apartment, walk up and down the stairs "really loudly," and possibly slam doors/allow self-closing doors to slam early in the morning. She says that yesterday at 7am they were doing calisthenics or something. She wants to write them a note telling them they need to be more considerate.

My opinion about stuff like this is usually that, you know, they get to walk around their apartment whenever they want. The noise of walking is not a nuisance noise that we get to complain about. But I am a pushover. Thoughts?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1247 on: January 19, 2015, 04:10:04 pm »

To be fair, people differ greatly in their sensitivity to noise and it's easy for people who aren't bothered to tell people who literally can't get any sleep that they are making a big fuss.

Are there really calisthenics at 7 am? I think it's fair for HER to say something to them about that. But if mere walking bothers her, she needs to move to a top floor apartment. Either way I don't see any reason you need to be involved.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1248 on: January 19, 2015, 04:41:30 pm »

Yeah, I think the mistake I was making here was thinking I need to be involved at all. Although I would prefer her not to antagonize people in our building.

I almost never hear them. But her room is by the front entrance. This is what happens when you find an apartment that is mysteriously a hundred bucks or more cheaper than anything else in town.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1249 on: January 19, 2015, 06:16:21 pm »

Yeah, different rooms could also be a very different experience. She could have a legitimate issue, unlike all the other things she sounds like she is apparently a lunatic about. Still not your problem.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1250 on: January 19, 2015, 09:17:08 pm »

Her complaint is invalid and you should tell her so and try to dissuade her from going to the neighbors or worse the landlord with this bullshit. If she insist you should definitely distance yourself from her on this issue, perhaps even telling the neighbors yourself that you don't agree with her and tried to tell her she was being unreasonable.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1251 on: January 19, 2015, 10:49:15 pm »

I think it is reasonable to be annoyed by people doing "calisthenics" on the floor above you at 7am on a sunday, but I do not trust her to define what "calisthenics" are and what is a reasonable amount of noise. I also see a lot of space between being annoyed and thinking it is their problem that she is annoyed.

My sister got to meet this lady, and her opinion was that she is completely nuts. That was reassuring.

She is also a great example of a Type I dealt with a lot in my grocery job. I think it taught me not to be like them. The type who thinks they are incredibly sensitive/conscientious, and that they therefore have the right to get mad/try to punish people who they think are insensitive or not conscientious. The trick there is that each of these dicks have a slightly different idea of what is appropriate behavior. How fuck*ng DARE you double-bag my heavy items.

Trying very hard to be good and nice without being self-righteous is a tough path. To repeat my favorite phrase from a Buddhist essay I read, once ego enters into it, even the most enlightened activity becomes trash.

(yeah that's right I am enlightened as hell, all 11,001 posts of me)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:57:36 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1252 on: January 21, 2015, 06:45:22 pm »

Someone on this board will be pleased to learn that my eldest daughter was cast as "Wombat Woman" in her school's production of "Adventures of a Comic Book Artist."

Her super power is burrowing.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1253 on: January 21, 2015, 08:30:39 pm »

Photos please!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1254 on: January 21, 2015, 09:56:16 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1255 on: January 21, 2015, 10:07:15 pm »

It'll be a couple of months, but will do.

Also, the character is described as "snarky and sarcastic." They picked her for that part for a reason.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1256 on: January 23, 2015, 03:48:35 pm »

TIL: I walk an 8 minute mile. As part of my new year's resolution to "walk more" I got off a stop early from the train and hoofed it to work. I learned two things. The pace of the city is like the NJ Parkway. If you're not doing 80, you are slowing people down. If you aren't walking an 8 minute mile, you are slowing people down. Second, if you are not moving at all, say standing on a corner, you are probably breaking the law. Sidewalks in the city are ways of transport. If you are not transporting, you are either a drug dealer, prostitute, a counterfeit hawker, a cop, a guy selling loosies, or a homeless person. There is no legitimate reason to be not moving and standing in NYC.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1257 on: January 23, 2015, 05:21:03 pm »

That sounds about right.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1258 on: January 23, 2015, 05:54:38 pm »

Today I am looking for spring jobs and summer jobs. And realizing that none of my classes this semester seem very interesting. Oops. I was hoping Historic Preservation would be interesting, but the professor is a grumpy old man who asks questions and then interrupts when people try to answer. Hopefully the other classes will at least teach me useful stuff.
I really should try to find a job on campus, at least for the spring. Bleh. This summer and next year I can do real internships, once I have skills to put on my resume.

In re: A-Cap's statement, I don't know how any non-native dealt with NYC in the days before phone GPS. Just carrying around maps all the time? No way. I went in with my sister this week to get dumplings and window shop, and she was teasing me a lot about how much I try to act like I know where I'm going. Those dumplings were great, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #1259 on: January 23, 2015, 06:33:01 pm »

Most of NYC is dead easy to get around - it's a grid and the streets are numbered. What's so hard?

Wait till you go to Tokyo. Even natives get lost in Tokyo.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 94   Go Up