The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: arkabee on February 04, 2006, 07:33:53 pm

Title: the band i hate the most
Post by: arkabee on February 04, 2006, 07:33:53 pm
i hate nickelback.

i hate them, i hate them, i hate them.

Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: V-Adore on February 04, 2006, 07:54:41 pm
Nickelback are extremely hatable.

The problem is that, with me, the bands I hate are usually ones that do music that I'm vaguely interested in but that still irritates me to death. Like, for example, I like some Five Iron Frenzy tracks, but overall I sort of want to smack those guys through a wall. Is this irrational?

Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: arkabee on February 04, 2006, 07:57:57 pm
Nickelback are extremely hatable.

The problem is that, with me, the bands I hate are usually ones that do music that I'm vaguely interested in but that still irritates me to death. Like, for example, I like some Five Iron Frenzy tracks, but overall I sort of want to smack those guys through a wall. Is this irrational?

v-adore, i don't know.  i keep seeing the word "nickelback" in the quote pane, and it just makes me seethe.


sssseeeeeeetttthhhheeeee.

i rationality is subjective, you are sane.

is it wrong for me to have dreams that nickelback are forced to pay back their debt to society by cutting out their own tounges?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: V-Adore on February 04, 2006, 07:59:18 pm
is it wrong for me to have dreams that nickelback are forced to pay back their debt to society by cutting out their own tounges?

In strictest, most objective terms?

No. This is right and good, and possibly the only thing Nickelback could ever do to repay the karmic debt before them.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: starlight on February 04, 2006, 08:17:26 pm
I once made fun of a Nickelback video.. I called it "pausing to riot" 'cause the guy stood there staring at a clock or something then turned around and threw a table... I don't know either.

A friend of mine said they bought two Nickelback albums... I clearly made fun of them, but felt bad since it made me feel a bit pretentious, but yes...

I must say I hate them, too beyond they're fun to make fun of....

Really, Dave Matthews Band makes me seethe more though since they aren't even as fun to make fun of; they just bore me and I hate their fans.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 04, 2006, 09:02:03 pm
I don't know how popular of an opinion this will be around here, but I cannot fuck*ng stand Bright Eyes. I have never heard more gratingly whiny music in my life.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Golfhaus on February 04, 2006, 09:36:03 pm
You would probably appreciate this (http://www.thewebshite.net/nickelback.htm), then. The thesis is that Nickelback has only ever written one song and they simply change a chord and a lyric and pass it off as a second song. The two songs do merge fairly well.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: miles on February 04, 2006, 10:24:49 pm
Really, Dave Matthews Band makes me seethe more though since they aren't even as fun to make fun of; they just bore me and I hate their fans.

Me too, but if I recall correctly, we have a fan or two on the board.  I don't think you can really pigeonhole the band's following, so I can't say that I hate their fans.  In fact, a few of my good friends and some close relatives are fans.  But the band's music does more than just bore me.  His voice, the lame sax, and the lazy song-writing all add up to that overall phony mellow vibe which makes me want to stuff AIDS-tipped heroin syringes into my ears.  Same with Jack Johnson.

Oh, and Nickleback.

I used to obsess over bands that I hate, and would intentionally listen to certain songs because they would fill me with so much rage.  It was kind of therapeutic.  Then I got real help, and I'm not as bothered anymore.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: misterqueue on February 04, 2006, 10:38:04 pm
Yeah, me too.  I used to have lists and lists of bands I hated for various reasons and would turn into an unreasonable mutant when people professed to actually liking them.  Now, well, now I just chalk that person up to someone I don't want a mix cd from and move on with my life.  It has gotten much easier.


Nickelback sucks though, that's for sure.

My Chemical Romance does too.

Oh and Good Charlotte.

Anyone who got their retarded pseudo-fame from American Idol sucks.

Green Day sucks, don't kid yourself you know it's true.

P.O.D. sucks fatter ones than I can imagine.

Dammit.. you've made me revert back Ark!  All that therapy for naught!
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: starlight on February 04, 2006, 10:48:25 pm
Me too, but if I recall correctly, we have a fan or two on the board.  I don't think you can really pigeonhole the band's following, so I can't say that I hate their fans.  In fact, a few of my good friends and some close relatives are fans.  But the band's music does more than just bore me.  His voice, the lame sax, and the lazy song-writing all add up to that overall phony mellow vibe which makes me want to stuff AIDS-tipped heroin syringes into my ears.  Same with Jack Johnson.

Well, I mostly mean the typical fans.  the ones who wear the puka shell necklaces.  I knew some like that.  also, one fan retaliated by calling me names when I mentioned disliking the band; I didn't say so in a bad manner either.. just said they weren't my thing.  I guess the unreasonable ones I try to turn away from in general.  people who just think they have a few good tunes are fine by me even if I wouldn't stay in the same room while they're listening to it.

---

Anyway, there's plenty of other bands I dislike (*****_roll_call -- I once was obsessed with Bright Eyes, but now I cannot stand him which is sad since I own almost all of the albums except the two newest.  it is good to sing along to when I have bad sinuses though), but dmb turned to hate due to some unreasonable fans.. heh.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Golfhaus on February 04, 2006, 11:10:32 pm
Me too, but if I recall correctly, we have a fan or two on the board.  I don't think you can really pigeonhole the band's following, so I can't say that I hate their fans.  In fact, a few of my good friends and some close relatives are fans.  But the band's music does more than just bore me.  His voice, the lame sax, and the lazy song-writing all add up to that overall phony mellow vibe which makes me want to stuff AIDS-tipped heroin syringes into my ears.  Same with Jack Johnson.

I am one of those DMB fans, although I accept that their most recent material hasn't been as palatable as their earlier stuff. I don't have an explanation for it, except that maybe the novelty of a full-time sax and fiddle player in a band wore off. Dunno, really. But I still like their songs more than I do anything that gets regular airplay on MTV (when they do in fact lower themselves to showing a video or two).

Quote from: misterqueue
Some stuff

My Chemical Romance, Good Charlotte, I agree with you. Cookie cutter bands for cookie cutter kids. I mostly agree with you on the American Idol partici#####, although I do confess to liking Kelly Clarkson the further and further away she gets from Idolesque stuff. It's no coincidence, I'm sure, that my opinion of her started rising when she stopped referring to her time on the show in her official biographies. Green Day, eh. I like them as long as I'm not around anyone still pretending they're a punk band. P.O.D., feh. Fuck 'em. True story about P.O.D. - my sister and her friend Tiffany really liked their first single. Then my sister was in the mall, and walked by an advertising placard in Heaven & Earth for their CD. Her first response was to say, "Oh... NO." She called Tiffany, discussed the revelation that they were a Christian Band, and stopped liking them at that point. "Alive" was a good song for them as long as it was about some girl, but once they realized it was about Jesus... that was the end of that.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: misterqueue on February 04, 2006, 11:16:12 pm
"Alive" was a good song for them as long as it was about some girl, but once they realized it was about Jesus... that was the end of that.

Hey that goes well with my tattoo actually.


But really it's not just the fact that they're Xians.  I'm cool with that, I mean be what you want to be, but this whole "We won't say it on MTV but we'll say it on the Gospel channel" BS amounts to chicanery and smacks of fakey belief systems to me.  That's my .02 though, I could be wrong.

I guess my hatred of Green Day comes from the fact that a lot of people I know like them thinking they can be punk and still like such a "safe" band. 
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Hobot on February 04, 2006, 11:49:55 pm
I hate Dave Matthews Band.  I hate Guster.  I hate Jack Johnson.  I hate O.A.R.  I hate Phish.  I hate the Greatful Dead.  I HATE ALL JAM BANDS.

I also hate U2.  I am sorry, TOAMB; I had to say it.  I HATE U2.

And Creed is God-awful (pun intended).
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: V-Adore on February 05, 2006, 12:00:29 am
Thanks, Hobot; you've revived that one stupid brain cell dedicated to that terrible, terrible, motherfuck*ng awful Creed song about the lead singer's wife getting pregnant (and him singing about the son he's going to have -- what if it's a girl, dipshit?), "With Arms Wide Open." (It may have been called "With Eyes Wide Open"; I've blessedly forgotten.) It fills that valuable musical 'what if?' of "What if 'Danny's Song' was pseudo-Jesoid and incalculably worse?" and for a while it was on the radio ALL THE TIME.

Hate. Hate hate HATE.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: antioch on February 05, 2006, 01:31:06 am
 For me this is as hard as "what is your favorite band?" A band can deffinitely leave a bad taste in my mouth, and that can lead to a burning cancre. The seed of distaste can be sewn into my tounge (I think I read that this happened once with an herb plant and a monk!). A band may act like they're above playing a small show even if they are in fact runty (or astonishingly well-built) dudes from highschool. Or a band may antagonize the crowd more than is funny ("I wanna see you assholes dance!" reply: "I wanna see the next band play!"). A band can get nasty because they don't get a perfect sound set-up at a club. Sometimes, a band will charge you $7 for their 5-song, glitchy demo cd(R). Or they'll say "We LOVE you!" or "We LOVE ALL OUR FANS!" And of course some bands put out albums full of super-compressed, dry, boring love songs (I gotta get the playlist from my dentist's office in order to be specific on this point). This is getting me all riled.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: sunnystar on February 05, 2006, 02:11:29 am
I don't know where to begin with this topic. It could get nasty...

Nickelback: DOES suck. Never were good. And their 15 seconds of fame pretty much proved that.
DMB: older stuff. Their new CD was not as good. And they played it for a month straight when I was working at Barnes and Noble. That'll pretty much turn me off to anything.
Bright Eyes: so emo it's almost too sad, yet they have one of the BEST christmas CD's out that I've ever heard in my life! And that's the honest goddamn truth! :sigh:
Jack Johnson: can't say anything bad about him. I've loved him since before he became so freakin' college mainstream. That's why I used to hate DMB so much! Also, if you DO like Jack Johnson, check out his friend Donavon Frankenreiter.

Q, you know I love you and have to pretty much agree with you in everything you say, yet...
I am hopelessly addicted to American Idol like it's a drug. Although, yes, the only good one that I can stand after the fact is Kelly Clarkson...I'd be a lesbian for her because she's so HOT! And I really like Clay Aiken because he's so cute and gay and I like gay boys... Also, I can't entirely say that I hate Green Day, although, same as with DMB, their new stuff is lackluster and I will stick with their old stuff that was cool in middle school.

I think that's it, but I'm sure I'll have more opinions if this thread keeps going. Oh, music, I love you and hate you!

p/s/ Someone mentioned Five Iron Frenzy, which is funny, because I used to LOVE them when I was younger. Now, although I have their old old CD's, I'll pass. But I even saw them in concert once. They dressed like Star Trek characters. I was insanely amused by that for weeks.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on February 05, 2006, 02:18:38 am
The world is awash in shitty music.  Do yourself a favor and stop caring about it.  Remember that the world is also filled with beautiful music.

~Paul
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: sunnystar on February 05, 2006, 02:21:15 am
The world is awash in shitty music.  Do yourself a favor and stop caring about it.  Remember that the world is also filled with beautiful music.

~Paul

Paul, that was beautiful and poetic and happy...which is why you're wonderful I'm sure...yet aren't there shitty musicians and their music that you so despise that you want spend as much time as I did putting a HUGE post on this thread?! COME ON! I KNOW YOU WANT TO! :)
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: misterqueue on February 05, 2006, 02:23:13 am
Paul is too kind and too zen for that.  I cannot see him getting so worked up over such petty things.  This is why he would make a better court judge than I.

Also, sunny, you're forgiven, but mostly because you said you loved me; and that goes a long way.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: sunnystar on February 05, 2006, 02:37:14 am
Paul is too kind and too zen for that.  I cannot see him getting so worked up over such petty things.  This is why he would make a better court judge than I.

Also, sunny, you're forgiven, but mostly because you said you loved me; and that goes a long way.

It is true, Q, he is too nice for this thread. :sigh: What can ya do? But thanks for forgiving my sorry ass. You probably wouldn't if you knew some of the other music I like to listen to....but we'll leave it at that....
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on February 05, 2006, 02:41:45 am
Paul, that was beautiful and poetic and happy...which is why you're wonderful I'm sure...yet aren't there shitty musicians and their music that you so despise that you want spend as much time as I did putting a HUGE post on this thread?! COME ON! I KNOW YOU WANT TO! :)

One downside of turning off the radio is it makes it extremely more difficult to find good new music (not that they are any help in that department).  the upside is i'm not subjected to a bunch of crappy music that sucks.  I've heard Nickleback before, they suck, yeah, that's pretty clear to me, but I just don't give a shit.  No one is locking me in a room and forcing me to listen to them.

My i-pod is in shuffle mode.  The battery is almost dead right now, which means i've logged a lot of songs.  Let's see, 231 (of 6728) as of this writing and so far it's been 100% Nickleback free music listening.

Ooh, Naked Eye just came on, I fuck*ng love that song.

~Paul

I too love American Idol
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Limmo on February 05, 2006, 03:10:30 am
Naked Eye by Luscious Jackson?  That song is basically like treasure.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: slink on February 05, 2006, 03:27:10 am
OK, painful as it is, since it means hearing them, but to prove just how bad they are - http://www.thewebshite.net/nickelback.htm (http://www.thewebshite.net/nickelback.htm).

I agree, they are one of the very worst things around, I think because they seem to believe they are true musicians.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Golfhaus on February 05, 2006, 03:31:19 am
But really it's not just the fact that they're Xians.  I'm cool with that, I mean be what you want to be, but this whole "We won't say it on MTV but we'll say it on the Gospel channel" BS amounts to chicanery and smacks of fakey belief systems to me.  That's my .02 though, I could be wrong.

I think that's what did them in for my sister, too. That they were just another band, and all of a sudden... what are they doing in Heaven & Earth?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Golfhaus on February 05, 2006, 03:34:14 am
OK, painful as it is, since it means hearing them, but to prove just how bad they are - http://www.thewebshite.net/nickelback.htm (http://www.thewebshite.net/nickelback.htm).

Wow, where have I seen THAT link before?  :P

(hint: try page 1 of this topic)
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on February 05, 2006, 03:35:20 am
Naked Eye by Luscious Jackson?

Naked Eye by The Who actually.  Interestingly though, and I didn't even think about it until I read your post, but while I was listening to Naked Eye by The Who Naked Eye by Luscious Jackson was in the deck getting ripped.  That's what's known as a coicidence.  Now I have two Naked Eyes and they both kick ass.

Up to song 237 now, still no Nickleback.  Ooh Day Tripper (Jimi Hendrix), fuck yeah!!!

Now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to eat some taro pancakes with coconut syrup.

~Paul
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: arkabee on February 05, 2006, 06:27:10 am
i'm so very, very sorry that i have caused psychological relapses in people on the internet.
unfortunately,
i seem to have that effect.

regardless,
paul,
i agree.

my problem with nickelback is not my normal "oh, i hate this band, they suck."

--
ok, i went and sat in a corner and breathed for about 5 minutes to calm down.
merely typing their name causes,
problems.

no,
my problem with them is that i _really_ hate them.

whenever the newest song comes on the radio,
my hand clenches and i draw the resultant fist back.

this is not good,
i work with people,
in public places,
places i have no control over the radio at.

"hi, i'm here to fix your computer"
"PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T HIT ME!!!!"
"huh-what?! oh, sorry, could you turn the radio off?"

see, this is a Problem.

i tried sticking lit cigarettes into my ears,
before arriving at customer sites,
to lessen the chance of me hearing Them.

alas,
i have developed a Mutant Power that allows me to hear the song even without working ears.

it's quite disturbing.

i,
i,
i...

sadly,
i would make out with all of the backstreet boys if nickelback would just go to the motherfuck*ng cornfield.

Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 05, 2006, 06:56:13 am
Hating stuff is fun! It's what the internet is basically for.

FACT: Al Gore invented the internet in 1983 to bitch about how much he hated Kajagoogoo.

I hate a lot more deserving bands than Bright Eyes...I will admit the guy is talented but I just can't tolerate him.

Maroon 5 is one of the worst bands performing today. My rule of thumb is any music you can image being played at a middle school dance sucks, and Maroon 5 is the embodiment of this philosophy.

The Black Eyed Peas released a song called Let's Get Retarded. Then they made it their mission statement. My Humps is the Manos:Hands of Fate of music.

I know it's cliched to say "if I ever hear song X again, I'm going to..." but if I ever here that Fallout Boy song they are playing every 10 minutes on the radio again, I am going to personally urinate on Clear Channel corporate headquarters (although I should probably do that anyways).

This is a wonderful thread!
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: V-Adore on February 05, 2006, 07:52:51 am
The Black Eyed Peas are also wretched, but one cultural artifact has started to undo the damage of "My Humps," in my opinion: The "Mary Worth" version. (http://accordionguy.blogware.com/Photos/2006/01/mary_worth_does_my_humps.gif)
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: antioch on February 05, 2006, 08:13:39 am
My Humps is the Manos:Hands of Fate of music.

 Wait, what? Is (shudder) My Humps like hasty, thoughtless free-sax backed by casio?

That Mary Worth thing is hilarious. I didn't know there was a popular song with lyrics like that. And I thought Milkshake was bad. Milkshake is the Beatles and Green Day on earth compared to that.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: misterqueue on February 05, 2006, 11:50:44 am
It may be because I'm still at fuck*ng work and have been here overnight for the past 6 fuck*ng hours, but man that Mary Worth cartoon made me laugh so hard I teared up a little bit. 

There's a sentence I never thought I'd say.

fuck*ng Mary Worth, now there's some hate right there.

Fuck 50 cent too, can he even open his damned jaw?  Is that even possible for him?

Fuck Moby.  It's not about his veganism or anything else other than the fact that he's a corporate whore who attempts to be an "outsider" at the same time.  How many songs did you sell this last minute Moby?  Did you sell them to companies that go against your eco-friendly stance?  I bet you fuck*ng did, sucker of Satan's Cock!  BLRGWGUUUERRHH  </Bill Hicks>

Seriously folks, this is what you get for me still being awake; you have to share this pain.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: CortJstr on February 05, 2006, 03:14:14 pm
Wait, so you're telling me that the Black Eyed Peas aren't a band that Best Buy made up for those commercials? When was anybody going to tell me this?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: side_show on February 05, 2006, 04:15:49 pm
No, no, no, people.  You can't truly hate Nickelback unless you lived in Canada when they first made it big here.  See, we had a period where Nickelback was the only music played on every radio station in our entire country.  Their success spawned so many other horrible bands out there that sounded exactly like Nickelback.  The only Nickelback clone that I can remember right now is Three Days Grace, and they were exactly like Nickelback except that their lead singer didn't look like Jesus.  We had to suffer through a year of Nickelback, then their album was released in the U.S. and there was a resurgence.  Fuck you Nickelback.  You suck.  You suck!  Oh, I hate them so much.

Ditto to Creed, but they're such an easy mark...

I hate The Pussy Cat Dolls.  Fuck that shit.  That song "Don't Cha?" - it the the epitome of garbage.  I miss the days where silicone injected whores were relegated to the pages of magazines.  Video killed the radio star, people.  Video killed the radio star.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: slink on February 05, 2006, 05:17:09 pm
I'm loving the fact that, while I know what all of the awful things mentioned in this thread are, I haven't experienced their atrocioussness since I left that job. How fuck*ng awesome is that. Nothing to do with any of these nasty pop culture things in weeks! How I love my sheltered lifestyle...
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: side_show on February 05, 2006, 05:20:43 pm
Yay!  Slink is happy in his new life, and with the wise choice he made!  You need to sit back, and have a tiny little drink from a tiny little can!
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: theinevitable on February 05, 2006, 05:25:07 pm
I think I might lose cans for this. but I cannot live a lie.
I own a nickelback cd. I was 13, and I hadn't listened to much music, and that was the result.
I repent wholeheartedly.


The saddest moment in my life was when I looked back, and remembered my uncle commenting "whose record is this? I like nickelback".
Because he is in his late thirties, and should know better.
He saw the Clash live. I'm waiting for the next time I see him to harass him, because I realized: Growing up in LA in the 80s, + liking punk rock, + surfer = (I hope) having seen some good bands.

Also, all of my friends hate Bright Eyes, and I do not like him. Partially because every girl I know (including my girlfriend) cannot see a picture of him without moaning, sighing, and faking (or... not faking?) orgasms.

EDIT: OH god, I almost forgot: pmcd9 (I still want to say your name is paul. is it paul? I think people call you paul.)
does your version of Day tripper end after like half the song, or is it the whole thing? if it is the whole song: where did you find it? Is it on a live album? I just found it somewhere floating in the internet, and it was incomplete.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Golfhaus on February 05, 2006, 05:49:37 pm
I think I might lose cans for this. but I cannot live a lie.
I own a nickelback cd. I was 13, and I hadn't listened to much music, and that was the result.
I repent wholeheartedly.

That's okay... I stopped buying CD's about eight years ago pretty much cold turkey when Fanning made the earth spin the other way. Someone who tried to determine my musical tastes by looking at my CD collection would think I was a might weird.

I own CD's by Billy Ray Cyrus, Trio, and Right Said Fred.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: arkabee on February 05, 2006, 05:51:38 pm
No, no, no, people.  You can't truly hate Nickelback unless

i was going to try and finish reading your post,
but i could not resist the Urge
and i ripped my eyeballs out of their sockets and set them on fire.

i have no eyeballs,
i hate that band.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: side_show on February 05, 2006, 06:10:22 pm
theinevitable - yes, he is indeed Paul - Paul, the mustachioed man.


There is no need to apologize for things you did before you were old enough to know better.

Indeed, if you want to talk "deeply embarrassing things we liked when we were young," the first cassette I ever purchased with my own money was the first self-titled Richard Marx  (http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/richardmarx/photos/collection/imageSize/medium/image/1) album in 1987.  It fills me with such deep shame.  Look at that mullet! Look at him!  Ha, ha, haaaa!  Stupid little nine year old me.  I even went on to buy his next album "Repeat Offender."  How's that for a self-revealing album title?  I was 10ish at the time and Indeed I Should Have Know Better (if anyone gets this joke, I'm sorry.  So very sorry.  For you.  And for me).  

If I saw Richard Marx on the street, I'd have to punch him in the face for somehow having seduced me into enjoying his suckiness.  Fuck you Richard Marx.  Fuck yoooooou.

Also, ark, even though I know you can't read this, I'm sorry I blinded you.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: lprkn on February 05, 2006, 07:29:09 pm
You can't truly hate Nickelback unless you lived in Canada when they first made it big here.

Yes I can.

Yet another reason to invade Canada.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on February 05, 2006, 09:02:10 pm
I guess I hate Coldplay more than Nickleback because I was Fooled by Coldplay (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,540.0.html).  I encourage you all to re-read that entire thread, it's classic TOUAMB and possibly our finest hour as a messageboard.

~Paul
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: side_show on February 05, 2006, 10:46:38 pm
Yes I can.

Yet another reason to invade Canada.

Hi Leprekaun!

See, you can't invade a country that wouldn't/can't put up a fight.  That's basically tourism.  (As you are new here, let me make you aware that I do not like my country to be made fun of.  It's gotten really old really fast for me.  As you noted in another thread that you have a USMC tat on you man boob, so I'm sure you don't like your country being made fun of either, so I hope you understand.)

Anyway, sure you can, and will hate Nickelback, no matter what country you're from.  It's not an exclusive club.  The door is open.  Hate Nickelback.  Please.  I just wanted to point out that I had to suffer a whole extra year of having to avoid the radio and hating those damn suck-tits. 

Also, I would like to apologize to the rest of the would, on behalf of my country, for Celine Dion.  I'm really, really sorry.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 05, 2006, 10:55:52 pm
Hi Leprekaun!

See, you can't invade a country that wouldn't/can't put up a fight.  That's basically tourism. (As you are new here, let me make you aware that I do not like my country to be made fun of.  It's gotten really old really fast for me.  As you noted in another thread that you have a USMC tat on you man boob, so I'm sure you don't like your country being made fun of either, so I hope you understand.)

Anyway, sure you can, and will hate Nickelback, no matter what country you're from.  It's not an exclusive club.  The door is open.  Hate Nickelback.  Please.  I just wanted to point out that I had to suffer a whole extra year of having to avoid the radio and hating those damn suck-tits. 

Also, I would like to apologize to the rest of the would, on behalf of my country, for Celine Dion.  I'm really, really sorry.

You know, that reminds me. My heart is still going on. To this very day.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: miles on February 05, 2006, 10:59:33 pm
Also, I would like to apologize to the rest of the would, on behalf of my country, for Celine Dion.  I'm really, really sorry.

Don't beat yourself up over it.  Neil Young alone more than makes up for it.  Not to mention The New Pornographers and The Band.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: side_show on February 05, 2006, 11:12:24 pm
You know, that reminds me. My heart is still going on. To this very day.

Ahhhhhgh!  Noooo!  I'm sorry rrc.  I'm so sorry.

miles - did I ever tell you my sister spilled coffee on Neil Young?  It's true.

Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: CortJstr on February 05, 2006, 11:36:19 pm
I just wanted to point out that I had to suffer a whole extra year of having to avoid the radio and hating those damn suck-tits.

I can't wrap my head around the concept that "suck-tits" is being used here as a negative.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: misterqueue on February 05, 2006, 11:37:10 pm
I believe you mean wrap your mouth around, not head.

Hope this helps.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: sunnystar on February 06, 2006, 12:49:49 am

There is no need to apologize for things you did before you were old enough to know better.


So, does that mean that even though I still listen to them today and own all their CD's, including the newest one released last year, that I don't have to apologize for liking and listening to and enjoying Hanson?!

Oh wait...what am I saying?...
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: miles on February 06, 2006, 01:13:44 am
miles - did I ever tell you my sister spilled coffee on Neil Young?  It's true.

I think you've mentioned it before, but I'm sure the newbies will appreciate a storytelling session.

Gather 'round, children, for another one of Smells' tales.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 06, 2006, 02:44:19 am
Nickelback does pretty well suk teh coq, but for my money there's nothing worse than Limp Bizkit.  "Yeah sucka hands down, tell me whatchoo gonna do now?"  What the FUCK is that?  Is that supposed to sound tough?  Cuz you sound like a little bitch.  The whole "They just don't get it" response to everything made me want to slap Fred Durst, and when he did "Behind Blue Eyes" I wanted to hit him with a shovel.

I own the first DMB album, and quite liked it when it came out, though I can't say I've listened to it for a while.  Haven't been interested in them since.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: CortJstr on February 06, 2006, 03:04:42 am
I took So. Much. Shit. in 98 for hating Limp Bizkit. I was a social outcast for pointing out their fantastic levels of suck. Did they release a non-shitty cover when I wasn't paying attention or something?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on February 06, 2006, 04:16:15 am
Did they release a non-shitty cover when I wasn't paying attention or something?

They did a cover, I wouldn't call it a non-shitty cover, It's a non shitty song, but in their hands...

~Paul

Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 06, 2006, 04:33:33 am
I'm just happy that rap rock is over and dead and never, ever returning.

But that reminds me, I forgot Insane Clown Posse. They might actually be the worst group ever, and not a single one of their fans qualifies as a multi-celled organism. That is not a generalization, it is a fact.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: miles on February 06, 2006, 04:41:12 am
I have never heard an Insane Clown Posse song.  Never.  And I think I even have a couple songs on my hard drive.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: lprkn on February 06, 2006, 05:15:46 am
As you are new here, let me make you aware that I do not like my country to be made fun of.

No offense was meant, and I hope none was taken. And I can take just as much ribbing about my father/mother(brother?)land as the next person, so don't worry about that.

Hey, I took Canadian Politics last semester, so I know all kinds of things about Canada. Do you know they don't have a president?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: theinevitable on February 06, 2006, 05:25:50 am
whoa whoa whoa, you did not just diss on the ICP! I be gettin' all up ins you with the juggalo action! Just 'cause you old, don't mean you can't understand our extreme young music!







But seriously folks, they are a bad band. I agree with what has been said reguarding this. The thing above would have been funnier if I'd tried to Intellectualize it, but... I cannot. They cannot be made to sound in any way worthwhile, to anyone.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: arkabee on February 06, 2006, 05:26:50 am
Do you know they don't have a president?

i was tempted to look that fact up on the internet,
but i couldn't,

because

NICKELBACK STOLE MY EYES

i was so sad i could not verify the presidential status of canananananda,
that i wept.

only,

my tears were blood,
and came from my ears.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on February 06, 2006, 05:39:17 am
i'm so very, very sorry that i have caused psychological relapses in people on the internet.
unfortunately,
i seem to have that effect.

regardless,
paul,
i agree.

my problem with nickelback is not my normal "oh, i hate this band, they suck."

--
ok, i went and sat in a corner and breathed for about 5 minutes to calm down.
merely typing their name causes,
problems.

no,
my problem with them is that i _really_ hate them.

whenever the newest song comes on the radio,
my hand clenches and i draw the resultant fist back.

this is not good,
i work with people,
in public places,
places i have no control over the radio at.

"hi, i'm here to fix your computer"
"PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T HIT ME!!!!"
"huh-what?! oh, sorry, could you turn the radio off?"

see, this is a Problem.

i tried sticking lit cigarettes into my ears,
before arriving at customer sites,
to lessen the chance of me hearing Them.

alas,
i have developed a Mutant Power that allows me to hear the song even without working ears.

it's quite disturbing.

i,
i,
i...

sadly,
i would make out with all of the backstreet boys if nickelback would just go to the motherfuck*ng cornfield.



From reading this I'd say that you only have one choice, you must learn to love Nickelback.  It's easy, just repeat after me, I (state your name) love Nickelback.  See, I told you it would be easy.

~Paul
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: lprkn on February 06, 2006, 05:47:09 am
Welcome to 1984.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Lister on February 06, 2006, 07:18:18 am
I hate Nickelback.  And Insane Clown Posse and Creed and Limp Bizkit.  Rockin' The Suburbs (You better look out, because I'm gonna say fuck!) basically states the reasons why.

I'm going to toss out a different band here: System Of A Down.  I don't get them.  They make the same song over and over, only they whine about new things in each one.  I think this is called originality?  My perception is that people who agree with the statements they make (and repeat five times in what they call a "chorus") sometimes think that the music is worth listening to and they don't notice that they all sound alike (they do).  I heard a deejay here defend them in comparison with Creed, and I didn't understand how they were different, but he seemed to think there was a big one.  Do you know this difference?

Early Dave Matthews Band was something I liked a lot, because they came from jazz backgrounds and I played jazz at the time and I could hear it in them and that was neat.  Remember Two Things is still one of my favorite albums.  As they got bigger they left the jazz behind.  They were one of those bands that I kept buying new CDs for a while out of tradition's sake, but really by Crash they weren't the band I liked at the beginning.  I haven't even bothered finding out what their new stuff sounds like, but like all Bands You Liked In College, there's a soft spot in there.

But back to the hatred: Puff Daddy or whatever the hell he calls himself now (Diddy?).  This man has millions of dollars because he took old, good songs, and recorded himself saying "Uh huh, yeah" and another drum track.  This man tampered with Zeppelin.  This man pays another man to follow him around, carry his three cellphones, and answer them for him.  If his friend (who had some talent) hadn't been shot, this man would still be a nobody.  See also: Will Smith.

Also rage-inducing, but not to the point of prose: Master P.  Ashlee Simpson.  Fiona "Get this girl a sandwich STAT!" Apple.  The Cherry Poppin' Daddies.  BritneyMandyJessicaItGirlWhoCan'tSingButLookAtHerTittiesOfThisWeek.  Toby Keith.

My embarassing early album: Bryan Adams - Waking Up The Neighbours.  I was young and had not heard a lot of music that wasn't pop.  I am sorry.  I learned my lesson and I will know better in the Future.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 06, 2006, 07:29:56 am
My embarassing early album: Bryan Adams - Waking Up The Neighbours.  I was young and had not heard a lot of music that wasn't pop.  I am sorry.  I learned my lesson and I will know better in the Future.

Let's just go ahead and toss that on the "Things Canada Needs to Apologize About" pile while we're at it.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: CortJstr on February 06, 2006, 02:40:02 pm
I admit to being a Good Charlotte fan before they got signed. They're local so I was exposed to them a few times early on. I don't blame them though since all their early songs boil down to "fuck we're poor. I hope we can sell out at some point because this whole working 2 shitty jobs thing is pretty craptacular." Also, the band members themselves never once claimed to be "punk" yet the most common criticism against them is, "they're not punk!"
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: V-Adore on February 06, 2006, 03:11:54 pm
Deep shame of my life: I know a guy who likes ICP. He also likes a band called "Fozzy" which, as far as I can tell, is some professional wrestler or another's Ozzy Osbourne cover band. I'm really not sure this dude counts as a non-protist.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: CortJstr on February 06, 2006, 03:41:12 pm
Fozzy is the band of Chris Jericho (see also, our "ass clown"discussion) and they perform original (if crappy) songs. He recently left WWE to focus more on his music career, has been on VH1's nostagia shows a number of times and I believe has a show on XM/Sirius.

He was the first Undisputed World Heavyweight Champion and one of his catchphrases was that he was a "huuuuuuuuuge rock star."
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Golfhaus on February 06, 2006, 07:37:31 pm
Fozzy is the band of Chris Jericho (see also, our "ass clown"discussion) and they perform original (if crappy) songs. He recently left WWE to focus more on his music career, has been on VH1's nostagia shows a number of times and I believe has a show on XM/Sirius.

He was the first Undisputed World Heavyweight Champion and one of his catchphrases was that he was a "huuuuuuuuuge rock star."

Jericho left WWE? To focus on Fozzy? I was at the RAW show where they performed live; some other wrestler came and broke it up. We all joked that 20 years down the line no one would remember what WWE was but everyone would be in awe that we saw Fozzy BEFORE they made it big.

But yeah, Y2J not being a regular is just one more reason to not get back into wrestling.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: wombat on February 06, 2006, 08:13:13 pm
Deep shame of my life: I know a guy who likes ICP.

I have not been tempted to look up music from any of these bands until now.  They're so bad you're ashamed to just know someone else who likes them?  That's pretty awesome.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: theinevitable on February 06, 2006, 09:02:24 pm
You know, that's the style with kids these days. All daring their friends to buy the cd. All posting on TOUAMB "Hey man, the cd is in my house." All racing to be the first person to try to listen to it.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: V-Adore on February 06, 2006, 09:21:57 pm
I have not been tempted to look up music from any of these bands until now.  They're so bad you're ashamed to just know someone else who likes them?  That's pretty awesome.

Yes. Dear god, yes. Like mentioned above, fans of ICP might very well be disqualified from being multicellular life. They're that bad.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: CortJstr on February 06, 2006, 10:53:27 pm
Jericho left WWE? To focus on Fozzy? I was at the RAW show where they performed live; some other wrestler came and broke it up. We all joked that 20 years down the line no one would remember what WWE was but everyone would be in awe that we saw Fozzy BEFORE they made it big.

But yeah, Y2J not being a regular is just one more reason to not get back into wrestling.

Yeah. He was basically worn out from years of travelling and being stuck in the mid-card so he legit left after losing to Cena in a "loser gets fired" match. In an interview he said he might come back after having some time to rest if there's a storyline for him but he knows where his bread is buttered and will only come back to WWE.

Although just to fuck with people he's done a bunch of shit on his site like putting up an ani-gif of him doing the Y2J pose in front of the TNA logo and posting a countdown timer to TNA's Bound for Glory PPV. And TNA has been name dropping him like fricken crazy.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Jeepers on February 07, 2006, 04:07:04 am
Not at all a scientifically representative sample, but that guy who just went on the homo-stab run-n'-gun rampage a few days ago, who later got into a gunfight with police where he killed a cop and one civilian..... you guessed it...

he was a juggalo.

One of the news agencies linked to his myspace page, where he could be seen wearing ICP clothes and went by the name of Jake Jeckyl (I think that was the name)

I have nothing against the band, other than they are crap dudes and their music is terrible, but they have got the worst lowlife scumbags for fans.

Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: arkabee on February 07, 2006, 04:28:49 am
this thread is wonderful,
and i feel like i'm getting to know each and everyone of your more,
and that is beautiful,
and all,
but

I HATE NICKELBACK

it's the topic at hand.

Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: AugustWest on February 07, 2006, 04:41:49 am
I don't get it.  What is it about the fifth member of the defensive backfield that you hate so much?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: miles on February 07, 2006, 05:41:52 am
Tee hee (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29421).

Edit:  OK, so I did have some ICP on my hard drive.  Seriously.  Long story.  And I just listened to it.  It's not like it's the kind of music that pisses me off, I just don't get why anyone would ever actually listen to it.

Anyway, I just freed up 60mb on my hard drive.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 07, 2006, 03:41:48 pm
I also hate U2.  I am sorry, TOAMB; I had to say it.  I HATE U2.

Does TOUAMB love U2 or something? Where have I been? I'm with you on this one, U2 can eat a large one and does so on the regular while performing I'm sure.

I can't really think of many bands that I hate really though. I'm in the same basket as Paul, I don't listen to the radio much (ever?) except for NRP. I mostly stick to my PSP and all the songs I've crammed in there. I stick to what I know and like. Every once in a while I hear something I really like and I go and buy it up, there by adding it to my songs. But I'm not an adventurer as far as music goes.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 07, 2006, 04:10:36 pm
I like U2.  Not as much as I did round about 1988, but still.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: wombat on February 07, 2006, 04:47:18 pm
I like U2.  Not as much as I did round about 1988, but still.

I used to be crazy about U2 but then either they lost it or I finished graduate school. Maybe a little of both.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Golfhaus on February 07, 2006, 10:25:58 pm
U2 is one of three artists (Pink Floyd and Bruce Springsteen being the others) I would spend upwards of $100 to see. Everyone else, I'd rather split that up and see a few shows of other bands.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Lister on February 07, 2006, 10:59:24 pm
Oh yeah, since we're hating bands, I feel like I should mention Your Band Sucks (http://www.somethingawful.com/yourbandsucks/).  Generalized hate, but very good in certain instances.  I particularly like the hate mail columns.

Also, I've thought about it, and I hate Aaron Carter.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: antioch on February 08, 2006, 04:46:32 am
 The hate mail column is deffinitely the best thing about Your Band Sucks. I read it and think, "ha, ha! These people spent like 30 minutes defending something on the internet because they have their tastes tied to their egos!" And then I cup my face in my hands and wail. 
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Hobot on February 08, 2006, 05:48:10 pm
The good doctor Thorpe expresses the exact reason for my distate for Jack Johnson (and John Mayer) better than I ever could.  Plus, he uses the word "homunculus":

Quote
But, Jesus, whose brilliant idea was it to give record deals to those smarmy date-rapist semi-jocks who play their acoustic guitars under the big oak tree in front of the dorms? It seems that rather than reviving the revolutionary spirit of folk music, the industry has finally decided to cash in on the buying power of a major college-age demographic: the infuriating hemp-necklaced Abercrombie-clad faux-surfer bastards who are always raising their hands in your Spanish class and asking how to say “four twenty” as a means of pandering for high-fives to the retarded clones they consider friends. Who else but these idiotic, cultureless half-wits would be caught dead listening to somebody as unabashedly un-cool as Jack Johnson, or worse yet, the giraffe-faced Dave Matthews homunculus John Mayer?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: wombat on February 08, 2006, 06:33:24 pm
Mmm, one so rarely reads the word 'homunculus' in rock criticism.  Also I have to quote him on U2:

Quote
While Bono was once just the leader of a post-punk band with political pretensions, he now seems to view himself as the ambassador between rock and roll and the real world. The problem is, rock and roll does not need an ambassador to the real world, nor does it want one.

Yeah, it is just as well not to like U2 anymore.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: lprkn on February 08, 2006, 06:38:04 pm
Seems like the major reason people don't like Johnson/Mayer/etc is because of the type of person that likes that music. But I still don't like those guys, and for pretty much the same reasons above.

In fact, I'm not sure that I can't identify the fans as a major part of my reason for not liking a particular genre. Although if you only accept genres, per se, then you're either
a) listening to a lot of crap
b) missing out on a lot of good stuff
c) both (most likely)
d) a moron (most most likely)
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: AugustWest on February 08, 2006, 07:36:01 pm
I've haven't had much of response to this thread, mainly because these days I have trouble working up the sort of visceral response to musical groups that is evidenced here.  I just don't love 'em or hate 'em like I used to.  It's kind of sad, really.

Anyhow, back in the day I detested U2.  I've learned to sort of tolerate them.  I never will understand what is supposed to be so great about them.

Also, I used to really hate Johnny Cougar, mainly because he started out calling himself Johnny Cougar, then changed it to John Cougar, then to John "Cougar" Mellencamp, then John Mellencamp.  That always smacked of the most cynical sort of marketing to me, as did his earlier songs.  I was forced to appreciate some elements of his later work.  Then, not long ago, I heard a radio interview with him and he struck me as a very funny, down to earth sort of guy.  So who knows...

That's not to say that I don't have contempt for a lot of so-called "musicians".  I just can't get worked up about it (either way) like I used to. 
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: V-Adore on February 08, 2006, 07:47:26 pm
I kind of like John Mayer. Like, not a lot, but I do. Do I have to go to the Cornfield/watch my TC index plummet now?

I am sorry. I will listen to the New Pornographers until I am a better person.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: theinevitable on February 08, 2006, 09:26:05 pm
egh. John Mayer is not the worst of all possible pop-people. I mean, he apparently secretly rips at guitar... one of my friends said he saw Mayer on some late-night Blues Tribute thing, and he was actually a really good guitarist.

That said, I don't like him that much. But I don't think he's worthy of utter hatred.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Golfhaus on February 08, 2006, 11:35:44 pm
John Mayer appeared on Chapelle's Show to play music that made white people want to dance.

That's all I needed. He's aight in my book.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on February 09, 2006, 01:37:54 am
one of my friends said he saw Mayer on some late-night Blues Tribute thing, and he was actually a really good guitarist.

I've heard that Kenny G can play the ever lovin' shit out of the saxaphone.

~Paul

Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: jough on February 09, 2006, 04:59:17 pm
I really like U2.  Bono is of course a silly self-important Irishman, but he's good people.  He just wants to help.

Their lyrics have grown more inane with each album ("Hello, Hello. [hola]  I'm at a place called 'Vertigo'.  It's everything I wish I didn't know, except you give me something I can feel.  Feeeeee-eeeeee-eel.") but that's because of their increasing disconnect with humanity.

John Mayer I've never liked, but I don't hate him.  That "Your Body is an Amusement Park" song was pretty lame, but the nigga can really play guitar.  He was onstage with Buddy Guy at some PBS Blues thing and was just wailing.

Anyway, I'd love to hear him make a blues album.  Otherwise he's not worth mocking.  I always thought he not only sounded like Dave Matthews but also did a DM impression while he was performing, with the same awkward mannerisms and pretentious shivering, etc.

I really like JC Mellencamp's "American Fool" album with those two big hits.  Everything else is kinda "blah" to me.  My friends and I used to sing "S.U.C.K. in the U.S.A." when that particular song was on the radio when we were in elementary school.  But otherwise he's good people.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on February 09, 2006, 05:03:51 pm
My friends and I used to sing "S.U.C.K. in the U.S.A." when that particular song was on the radio when we were in elementary school.

I used to sing along to that song with I love Seka in the USA.

~Paul

Because I love Seka

Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Hobot on February 09, 2006, 06:28:07 pm
John Mayer appeared on Chapelle's Show to play music that made white people want to dance.

That's all I needed. He's aight in my book.

Oh, I'm sure he's an okay guy (his appearance on the aforementioned episode of "Chappelle's Show" and in a self-deprecating skit on his own show on MTV helped me realise that he's pretty funny and not a complete moron), I just hate his music and his fans.

Another band I hate: The Mars Volta.  I don't care if it makes me lose indie points; I listen to plenty of other stuff that I can be stuck up about.  I just can't stand the singer's whiney fuck*ng voice.

Yet another band I dislike (not enough to hate, though; I just don't care that much): The Fiery Furnaces.  "Blueberry Boat" was crap.  It's like if someone who was having a seizure was capable of playing "music," that's the album they would record.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: misterqueue on February 09, 2006, 06:35:46 pm


Another band I hate: The Mars Volta.  I don't care if it makes me lose indie points; I listen to plenty of other stuff that I can be stuck up about.  I just can't stand the singer's whiney fuck*ng voice.


I hear you there.  I don't so much hate them because they suck, but I hate them because they do nothing for me WHILE TAKING AN AWESOME BAND NAME AWAY FROM SOME OTHER HYPOTHETICAL BAND!

See also Lusk, Bunnygrunt, &c
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on February 09, 2006, 07:34:14 pm
Yet another band I dislike (not enough to hate, though; I just don't care that much): The Fiery Furnaces.  "Blueberry Boat" was crap.  It's like if someone who was having a seizure was capable of playing "music," that's the album they would record.

Man that sounds like an album I would love.

~Paul
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: robot_god on February 09, 2006, 10:12:59 pm
This person is not a band, but Beyoncé makes me want to hurt myself and the people I love.

I want to produce a Beyoncé song.  It would have only one note sung in a very simple rythm with drums that accent only the downbeats.  The lyrics would contain the word "stank" many times.  BIGGEST HIT OF THE SUMMER.  Then, I would commit seppuku.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: V-Adore on February 09, 2006, 10:17:27 pm
Yet another band I dislike (not enough to hate, though; I just don't care that much): The Fiery Furnaces.  "Blueberry Boat" was crap.  It's like if someone who was having a seizure was capable of playing "music," that's the album they would record.

This, sadly, reminds me of a mixtape I recently received as part of a mixtape swap on campus: a friend of mine's "experiment," in which he made an entire mix of Sondheim songs interspersed with indie-rock songs he thought possessed some element of "Sondheimanity." It had the incandescent joy of "oh, boy, some show tune that makes no sense out of context, from a show I've never seen/heard of" with the predictably huge amount of pretentiousness. Its last track was "Chris Michaels," which I believe is from Blueberry Boat and sounds like "indie rock band decided to do a song on the theme of 'vague high-school-oid soap-opera' and didn't actually bother to write any lyrics before hitting the studio, resulting in much rambling and something like eight minutes of rambling." (The mix also contains The Decemberists' "Mariner's Revenge Song," about which I remain ambivalent.)
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: misterqueue on February 09, 2006, 10:19:44 pm
(The mix also contains The Decemberists' "Mariner's Revenge Song," about which I remain ambivalent.)

Is it even possible to be ambivalent about that song?

I was pretty sure that song was confirmed as "basically like treasure" by a super committee somewhere in the bowels of the Earth.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: V-Adore on February 09, 2006, 10:24:58 pm
Is it even possible to be ambivalent about that song?

I was pretty sure that song was confirmed as "basically like treasure" by a super committee somewhere in the bowels of the Earth.

See, I'm ambivalent about it because it's the exact sort of music that I really feel like I should hate -- overlong, over-weird over-self-aware "concept" stuff -- and it's about whaling, which reminds me strongly of Herman Melville, which reminds me of Billy Budd, which a bad high-school English teacher taught and inadvertently convinced me to hate and fear it, like a caveman hates and fears a smilodon. And yet... and yet... "The Mariner's Revenge Song" is basically like treasure. How do I cut this Gordian knot?

Maybe I listen to it again. That's an idea.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on February 09, 2006, 10:26:38 pm
I was pretty sure that song was confirmed as "basically like treasure" by a super committee somewhere in the bowels of the Earth.

I believe I was on that committe.

~Paul
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: misterqueue on February 09, 2006, 10:33:48 pm
Why did you have to bring up the Mariner's Revenge V?  Now I have to listen to it repeatedly! WHY V?  WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on February 09, 2006, 10:40:09 pm
Why did you have to bring up the Mariner's Revenge V?  Now I have to listen to it repeatedly! WHY V?  WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

That is not a bad thing.  I listened to that whole album non stop for about a month.  Thanks Starlight.

~Paul
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: arkabee on February 09, 2006, 10:44:55 pm
they played Mars Volta on the radio.

the other day, i realized that station had it's format changed to "Classic Rock".

it's call letters are WQAK,

when it was a "rock" station in a "college" town,
they called it "the quake".
meh.  whatever.

now.

heh.

you have to understand,
when i heard this on the radio,
i thought i was a _joke_.
then i heard it the next week,
and the next, etc.

anyways,
now.
heh
now they call it "WQAK the Quack!"

i. swear. to. god.

they reformatted a "new rock" station to "classic rock" and now they call it "the quack".

no shit.


ya, so, MArs Volta.  i can't even remember the song,
except i remember that everytime i heard it,
i was like,
"who is this?",
and then the dj would say "mars volta",
and i'd be all "wtf?  why is this on the radio?  i own all the Babyland cd's and even _i_ think this is crap"


oh,
and i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks that the Fiery Furnaces are not good to listen to.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: CortJstr on February 09, 2006, 10:51:14 pm
I have yet to encounter a 5+ minute Decemberists song that doesn't bore me 2 minutes in.

Now July, July! There's a song. Also, The Apology Song
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Hobot on February 10, 2006, 02:18:14 am
I have yet to encounter a 5+ minute Decemberists song that doesn't bore me 2 minutes in.

Now July, July! There's a song. Also, The Apology Song

"Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect" is, to paraphrase SomethingAwful, like the saints peeing liquid gold into your ears.

And, though not the veritable embodiment of perfection that "Here I Dreamt" is, I also enjoy considerably the songs "The Engine Driver" and "California One / Youth and Beauty Brigade" (the latter of which is fuck*ng awesome live).
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on February 10, 2006, 03:32:09 am
Colin Meloy did lose points with me when I found out he was from Portland.  I figured he was from, oh I don't know, Portsmouth maybe.

~Paul
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: theinevitable on February 10, 2006, 03:38:22 am
man...I  kind of like the mars volta.
not enough to defend them, but...
there are much better bands to hate.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 10, 2006, 04:58:00 pm
John Mayer appeared on Chapelle's Show to play music that made white people want to dance.

That's all I needed. He's aight in my book.

He also did the theme to "Diffrent Strokes" with Chappelle singing and ?uestlove on the drums.  Quality.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: LCB on February 14, 2006, 03:01:35 am
I think that Dr. David Thorpe more or less explained why I can't stand Mars Volta, it's crappy-prog rock run through a loathsome-indie-hipster filter.

And if we started in on the sheer number of so-called "indie" bands I hated we'd be here all night.

A quote from the good Dr. that had me laughing

Quote
There are a thousand indie labels churning out the same clamorous bullshit, and ten thousand indie bands stabbing at their guitar pickups with screwdrivers to get them to make that perfect irritating hum.

Collectively, I hate pretty much every emo band out there now. I don't care if they are so-called "mall emo", "emo pop" etc. or like, truly small label indie bands with INTEGRITY MAN WHOVE BEEN DOING THE SCENE BEFORE ALL THESE POSERS MAN, I hate them all. I hate their stupid twee, cloying names like The Promise Ring, Sunny Day Real Estate, Texas is the Reason or worst of all Ashes to Autumn...or is it Autumn to Ashes? I don't care, either way it's retarded beyond belief. I despise their bands with the stupid haircuts and dye jobs and second-hand store wardrobes which probably had more thought put into them than say, the lyrics. It got to the point where I threatend friends with violence if I ended up going to another club or musical event where I'd have to hear some mopey shitbags in oh-so-ironic faded (cartoon character/product logo/summer camp) T-shirts sing a song about still being in love with that chick from college but she left long ago and you asked her to a dance once and she said no and man life is kind of gray and dreary and on and on and on...my bold, iconoclastic stance on such issues has cost me many friends. Ah, such is the price of being a genius, ah ha ha ha.

sigh.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 14, 2006, 04:48:29 am
I think that Dr. David Thorpe more or less explained why I can't stand Mars Volta, it's crappy-prog rock run through a loathsome-indie-hipster filter.

And if we started in on the sheer number of so-called "indie" bands I hated we'd be here all night.

A quote from the good Dr. that had me laughing

Collectively, I hate pretty much every emo band out there now. I don't care if they are so-called "mall emo", "emo pop" etc. or like, truly small label indie bands with INTEGRITY MAN WHOVE BEEN DOING THE SCENE BEFORE ALL THESE POSERS MAN, I hate them all. I hate their stupid twee, cloying names like The Promise Ring, Sunny Day Real Estate, Texas is the Reason or worst of all Ashes to Autumn...or is it Autumn to Ashes? I don't care, either way it's retarded beyond belief. I despise their bands with the stupid haircuts and dye jobs and second-hand store wardrobes which probably had more thought put into them than say, the lyrics. It got to the point where I threatend friends with violence if I ended up going to another club or musical event where I'd have to hear some mopey shitbags in oh-so-ironic faded (cartoon character/product logo/summer camp) T-shirts sing a song about still being in love with that chick from college but she left long ago and you asked her to a dance once and she said no and man life is kind of gray and dreary and on and on and on...my bold, iconoclastic stance on such issues has cost me many friends. Ah, such is the price of being a genius, ah ha ha ha.

sigh.

Marry me!

Indie/Emo band names I hate:

Bright Eyes
Death Cab for Cutie
As I Lay Dying
My Chemical Romance
The Futureheads

(at this point I am looking at things under emo/indie on a torrent site for terrible names):

Saturday Looks Good to Me
Hawethorne Heights
Story of the Year (this one might be the winner)
Day at the Fair (they keep getting worse...can you picture someone saying 'my favorite band is Day at the Fair!'?)

OK, I need to stop before my brain blows a fuse.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on February 14, 2006, 05:06:52 am
Marry me!

Indie/Emo band names I hate:

Bright Eyes
Death Cab for Cutie
As I Lay Dying
My Chemical Romance
The Futureheads

(at this point I am looking at things under emo/indie on a torrent site for terrible names):

Saturday Looks Good to Me
Hawethorne Heights
Story of the Year (this one might be the winner)
Day at the Fair (they keep getting worse...can you picture someone saying 'my favorite band is Day at the Fair!'?)

OK, I need to stop before my brain blows a fuse.

Yet you listen to Nine Inch Naiils.

~Paul
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: theinevitable on February 14, 2006, 05:09:27 am
Twee is not the same as emo in the majority of ways!? Twee is a proud and upstanding genre!

I'm still trying to find the point where post-hardcore became emo and started sucking hard. Fugazi is awesome. Drive like Jehu is awesome. Rites of Spring is Awesome. Slint is awesome. (I guess maybe these should be are? I mean the band, as a unit, is awesome, so...). How is it that the bands influenced by bands I really like are all horrible? What got broken in between? HOW CAN THE MUSIC I LOVE RESULT IN SUCH SHITTY MUSIC?

I think emo is on the way out. There will be a brief upsurge of pseudo-indie pop bands, which will hopefully die out pretty quickly. And then "indie rock" can go back to being about... indepenent rock. you know... music that is rock music, and the bands are not on major labels.

As... I think it was the guy in Mudhoney? Mark Arm?... said: "it used to be that if I saw someone wearing thrift-store clothes with dyed green hair, I could assume they were cool, liked good music, and were... authentic. What possible reason could there be for dressing like this unless you really liked it? Now every kid in seattle looks like that, and there's no way to tell the good ones from the bad."

But... I guess that's incredibly superficial. Damn. I just want to be able to know that people like my favorite bands for real, not just because it will make them "cool". Paradoxically: this is because that would make it more cool to like those bands.

So I guess, what I"m saying is, basically I'm a horrible pretentious teenager, who likes to ask people if they enjoy obscure Independent bands.


Edit: Come on, nine inch nails? it is silly to like nine inch nails.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 14, 2006, 06:48:49 am
You guys made me cry...maybe I should go listen to Day at the Fair. :'(
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: theinevitable on February 14, 2006, 12:13:01 pm
*punches in kidney*
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: V-Adore on February 14, 2006, 01:44:55 pm
Yeah, that's it! Shuffle off and listen to your Day at the Fair and your Bright Eyes and your Sad Holiday Because My Girlfriend Left Me Five Years Ago And I Haven't Left the Salvation Army Sense, Waaah!!

I somehow managed to have a Brand New song ("Jude Law and a Semester Abroad," and if that title isn't just the twee-est thing?) stuck in my head for the entirety of Sunday, as I was attempting to leave Cornell by any means possible. I previously sort of cautiously liked Brand New, in the same way I liked caramel corn (delicious in small quantities, but will spoil your day if overconsumed), but now I ust can't wash the smarmy, smarmy taste out of my mouth. So, you know, like bad caramel corn. ... I think it's about time to take this analogy out into the street and shoot it.

...Actually, never mind, I like caramel corn significantly more than I like Brand New. But it's a qualitatively similar sort of appreciation, is all. Right.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: side_show on February 14, 2006, 02:25:21 pm
At the bus stop today was a poster for "Johnny Furious and the Uppercuts," with a photo of some very surly looking men staring threateningly toward the viewer.  I'm sure they're terrible, but the poster looke funny.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: sunnystar on February 15, 2006, 01:14:56 pm
At the bus stop today was a poster for "Johnny Furious and the Uppercuts," with a photo of some very surly looking men staring threateningly toward the viewer.  I'm sure they're terrible, but the poster looke funny.

Now THAT'S a bad band name! But I can picture the poster perfectly and that makes laugh out loud.

Of course, the poster in my head is probably far different than the actual poster...oh imagination...
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: side_show on February 15, 2006, 11:36:38 pm
I was at the bus stop again today, and it was actually Dr. Furious... I was wrong.

Also there's a quote from someone I've never heard of that says "very tasty..."  which is... strange.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: sunnystar on February 15, 2006, 11:41:45 pm
I was at the bus stop again today, and it was actually Dr. Furious... I was wrong.

Also there's a quote from someone I've never heard of that says "very tasty..."  which is... strange.

The "Dr." part actually makes that name even better! Haha! Although I'm disturbed by the fact that someone finds him and his uppercuts tasty...Disturbed with a capital D...
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: misterqueue on February 15, 2006, 11:43:17 pm
I am reminded of the fighting monkey on the Simpsons "Furious George" which is one of my favorite monikers of all time.

I do not recall Furious George being described as tasty though.  Just furious... hell of such as furious.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: side_show on February 15, 2006, 11:58:49 pm
The Simpsons actualy lifted Furious George from Evan Dorkin's mini FUN! strips.  There are so many Furious George strips.  I would scan them if I owned a scanner and had knowledge of computers.  Bascially the theme of the strips is that Furious George is... Furious.  Even better than the Furious George strips are the Myron the Living Voodoo Doll strips, which always shows the living voodoo doll having something horrible happen to it, followed by Myron, always horribly injured in the same way as the doll has just been, saying "I must find that doll!" 
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: misterqueue on February 16, 2006, 12:00:49 am
You know, being that I have a Dorkin avatar and that I am in possession of those strips I really should've made that connection long before.

Thank you smells, you have once again enriched my existence.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: wombat on February 16, 2006, 12:43:11 am
I have always wondered where Q's avatar comes from and keep forgetting to ask.  Proving once again that there is always a reason to keep checking these threads that mean absolutely nothing to me.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: misterqueue on February 16, 2006, 12:56:01 am
I have always wondered where Q's avatar comes from and keep forgetting to ask.  Proving once again that there is always a reason to keep checking these threads that mean absolutely nothing to me.

This (http://home.columbus.rr.com/darynbrian/Fun%20With%20Milk%20And%20Cheese%20big.jpg) might help womby.

Though I'm sure Rheumatron will be by soon for the mocking of you.

[fixed the link—Cort]
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: wombat on February 16, 2006, 01:17:48 am
Oh c'mon Rheumatron!  I'm supposed to know about a comic that is printed on sheets made of dead trees?  I am too modern and up to date for such quaintness.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on February 16, 2006, 02:42:25 am
The Simpsons actualy lifted Furious George from Evan Dorkin's mini FUN! strips.  There are so many Furious George strips.  I would scan them if I owned a scanner and had knowledge of computers.  Bascially the theme of the strips is that Furious George is... Furious.  Even better than the Furious George strips are the Myron the Living Voodoo Doll strips, which always shows the living voodoo doll having something horrible happen to it, followed by Myron, always horribly injured in the same way as the doll has just been, saying "I must find that doll!" 

I love Milk and Cheese and Myron is pretty cool too, but I don't recall Furious George.  It's been quite awhile since i've read them.  I seem to recall his music reviews being particularly side splitting.

~Paul
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: LCB on February 16, 2006, 03:49:04 am
At the bus stop today was a poster for "Johnny Furious and the Uppercuts," with a photo of some very surly looking men staring threateningly toward the viewer.  I'm sure they're terrible, but the poster looked funny.

I once got to confirm a band's terribleness as judged by their flyer pic. Some band calling itself "NectarInc." The pale green flyer announced their presence at a show, a pic of four surly looking skinny dorks posing near some train tracks with their arms at their sides or folded in front of their chests, the lead a guy with a big puffy hairdo, big black plastic framed glasses and Green Lantern T-shirt. Another guy was wearing a big sweater and had his hair all spiked up. At the club, they were dressed pretty much the same, were even wormier looking in person and their crap was the usual sort of mumbly mope-rock with droning guitar and listless drumming. The followup was yet another bunch of dorks calling themselves "Sons of El Santo" who dressed pretty much the same except they played boring upbeat indie pop and "novelty" songs (ugh) with droning guitar and gratuitious use of a violin.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: AugustWest on February 16, 2006, 05:36:40 am
Brick wall pictures. (http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/hall_detail.php?dd_keyid=89)
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: side_show on February 17, 2006, 03:27:38 pm
Thanks Aug - this site rocks.  I laughed, then realized that I am  a bad person.[url] (http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/hall_detail.php?dd_keyid=97)
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: AugustWest on February 17, 2006, 03:56:17 pm
Smells!

I was starting to get worried about you.  Everything OK?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: side_show on February 17, 2006, 04:48:56 pm
I don't know yet... I'm meeting with the doc this afternoon about my test results.  I just barely slept last night.  It's dead at the office today because half the city's closed down from the ball crushing cold, so I thought I'd be naughty and post from work.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's a minor thing... we'll see.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: jough on February 17, 2006, 05:18:19 pm
I am crossing everything that it is possible to cross for you, Smells.  We all are.  You're our MVP.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Nabubrush on March 07, 2006, 08:49:42 pm
Colin Meloy did lose points with me when I found out he was from Portland.  I figured he was from, oh I don't know, Portsmouth maybe.

~Paul

Colin Meloy lost points with me when I realized that he and his band both sucked.

He gained points with me when I realized he was from Portland, like all good-hearted people.

Edit: Sorry, this basically made me look like I don't give a fuck. side_show, I am pulling for you, and invoking various and sundry deities.

Also, I hate CCR.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: slink on March 16, 2006, 08:40:00 pm
Well. I'll officially state so here, I hate Belle and Sebastian.
I have avoided ever saying so, since so many of you seem to like them. I just never have.

BUT, I just got an album that makes me like one of them.
Isobel Campbell has done an album with Mark Lanegan, who as you all know is one of my favourite artists ever... It's kind of like Simon and Garfunkel, if one of them was a woman (I think one of them might have been actually) and the other had the voice of a  middle aged ex heroin addict. It's not my favourite Lanegan work, but it's most certainly my favourite anything with anyone from Belle and Sebastian. There shades of Nick Cave's better works in there too.

Balld of the Broken Seas for those who are interested.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 16, 2006, 10:05:26 pm
I was about to post an "anyone heard from Slink" post.

Good to see you, Slink.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on March 16, 2006, 10:27:34 pm
I was about to post an "anyone heard from Slink" post.

He only posted so we would notice the link to his myspace page.  Very clever...

Also, whats up with this...
(http://www.ottawamodifieddeath.net/images/ottawa-modified-death.gif)

~Paul
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 16, 2006, 11:38:19 pm
OMD makes me think of Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark.

just sayin' is all.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: slink on March 16, 2006, 11:59:10 pm
He only posted so we would notice the link to his myspace page.  Very clever...

Also, whats up with this...

Damn you!

I admit I have been semi pimping my myspace site, although things are still so out of date or unrelated to my projects that you know... And the picture, well, what the hey?  All from a stoned idea my mate had. Unfortunately doesn't really work on LCD screens. I'm sure for my first magazine article I will do it properly. Or pay someone else to. Really it's all just a test of how many ears people can stand!
I just have too many sites to put together at the moment.

Anyway, off to the 'Dam tomorrow... Hey all for the now. See you when I sober up.

edit: Orchestral Who in the Whatnow?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: jough on March 16, 2006, 11:59:37 pm
Yes, everyone has a myspace page (http://myspace.com/wordfront), and everyone wants to be your friend.  It's a utopia!
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 17, 2006, 11:07:45 pm

edit: Orchestral Who in the Whatnow?

OMD (http://www.omd.uk.com/)

Best remembered (by me)  for "If You Leave" from the Pretty in Pink soundtrack (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002GD2/ref=pd_lpo_k2a_1_img/102-1021342-8908960?%5Fencoding=UTF8)
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: dejavroom on March 18, 2006, 03:08:46 pm
Don't even get me started. Pavement and Weezer from the top of my head, with all my heart. And yep the myspace utopia: My band is there, too (http://myspace.com/emilytries). Don't waste your time hating it, though,  it's a defunct project as of 2006, and good riddance.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: jough on March 18, 2006, 05:09:42 pm
Quote from: MySpace at dejavroom's band page
Profile Views: 16

Man, what's the point of making a myspace page if you're not going to tell anyone about it? 

I have actually found some good new music via MySpace, but more from people's stupid profile songs than from actual featured music on there.

Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: dejavroom on March 18, 2006, 05:52:59 pm
Haha, I don't know, really. The page started all dynamic and pro-active with me blogging everyday, then I got lazy and switched to my more normal half-assed attitude. What sucks? My social networking skills (they suck).
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: antioch on March 19, 2006, 08:11:05 am
Sometimes people do this thing where they upload old, out-of-print music by bands they are not in. I've only really searched for stuff on the hardcore front so far, but maybe these will be interesting:
 
Siege (http://www.myspace.com/siegehardcore) (their top 8 has alot of classic 80s and early 90s hardcore and thrash stuff, too.)


Honeywell/Volume 11 (http://www.myspace.com/eletrikkoolaid) (genre-usurping spazz from circa 94, California)
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Mantonio on March 20, 2006, 04:46:40 pm
Yes, everyone has a myspace page (http://myspace.com/wordfront), and everyone wants to be your friend.  It's a utopia!

I have a myspace page (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=18570148).
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: theinevitable on March 20, 2006, 05:08:48 pm
my myspace page is too good fo' you suckers.

which is why I have a link to it under my name.

be my friend goddamnit
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: jough on March 20, 2006, 05:42:57 pm
I have a myspace page (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=18570148).

First of all, great profile photo.

Secondly: 11 friends, dude?  You're either really really picky or you're just not trying.  There are so many friend-whores on MySpace that it's pretty easy to get hundreds of "friends" without even trying.

Last week I was adding pornstars.  Now I'm doing stand-up comics and shitty bands from Ohio.

Ah, viral marketing is a cruel mistress.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Nabubrush on March 20, 2006, 11:08:44 pm
I'd like to applaud Mantonio for being selective. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: wombat on March 21, 2006, 12:24:06 am
my myspace page

Have you never read the entire Achewood main page?

Quote
Get Out of Here
Achewood is not for readers under 18 years of age.

Go to your room, theinevitable!
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Mantonio on March 21, 2006, 12:32:36 am
I'd like to applaud Mantonio for being selective. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it.

Well, I find Myspace (and Friendster) useful for keeping in touch with physically distant friends and family. That's not to say I'm averse to "friending" people from the internet - especially if I'm already familiar with them from other forums - i.e. TOUAMB or soc.history.what-if. Theoretically, I can also see myself using such a website for dating purposes. How successful I'd be in such a pursuit is another question.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: theinevitable on March 21, 2006, 01:12:24 am
wombat: oh my god, I did not see that.

bye guys. It's been a good run. I'll be back in May when I turn 18.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2006, 02:30:22 am
We'll keep the light on for you.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: colmore on March 21, 2006, 01:11:47 pm
message music of any kind.

it's fine for your lyrics to believe in something, but if the point of your band is to convince me that jesus or veganism or whatever is a good idea, rather than to make music, you're going to suck, because inevitably you'll start thinking "oh if we do this, then more people will hear our message" and then BAM! pop-punk album.

also world music bites.  not real world music, mind you, actual folk music is infinitely interesting, but the kind of music made by people who stopped having new ideas in 1982 and decided that black women and an obscure instrument would be an ok replacement for creativity.

in the end though, i have to agree with the first page of this thread.  nickelback are a really colon-clearing band.  what's wrong with people?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: slink on March 21, 2006, 06:20:23 pm
While wandering around the 'Dam the past few days, noticed a poster for Bon Jovi in the city, which was bad enough (he's on my top 100 people/bands to hate for sure) only he was supported by...
Nickelback!

Needless to say, I didn't go. I compared Rembrandt to Caravaggio while baked instead.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on March 21, 2006, 07:15:49 pm
While wandering around the 'Dam the past few days, noticed a poster for Bon Jovi in the city, which was bad enough (he's on my top 100 people/bands to hate for sure) only he was supported by...
Nickelback!

Bon Jovi are King of the Hair Metal bands.  Not exactly high praise, but it's something.  Nickleback are just shit, they ain't nothin'.

~Paul
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Mantonio on March 21, 2006, 08:43:01 pm
Bon Jovi are King of the Hair Metal bands.  Not exactly high praise, but it's something.  Nickleback are just shit, they ain't nothin'.

~Paul

Yea, at least Hair Metal has camp value, which is something Nickleback lacks. Have I said I do not like Nickleback? If not, I'd like to to say so now. The Hell I'll listen to Nickleback.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2006, 09:32:33 pm
Hey Slink - was Scott Stapp on the bill? Because I hate him.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Emmoh on March 22, 2006, 03:34:26 pm
I would like to think I'm a big enough boy now to not let a kiddie group like Fallout Boy bother me much.

But I'm not. My hate for them is transcendental. I've invented a new form of hate exclusively for them.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2006, 04:56:05 pm
Also, Slink - do you ever check your messages? Or should I assume that you don't wish to address my question? Or perhaps it did not go through?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: lprkn on March 22, 2006, 05:23:24 pm
Last week I was adding pornstars.  Now I'm doing stand-up comics and shitty bands from Ohio.

Let's see, so you added pornstars, but you did stand-comics and shitty bands from Ohio?

So you did you just go to Ohio and have the stand-up comics come to you, or what?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: slink on March 22, 2006, 06:08:33 pm
Hey Slink - was Scott Stapp on the bill? Because I hate him.

Ummm. Not that I saw, but by god he does look despisable!
And I didn't reply because I hate you so.

It's the new forum,  and because I haven't exactly used it enough...
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: BatzRadio on March 23, 2006, 11:38:05 pm
I'm in agreeance on previously expressed hatred of Nickelback, Bright Eyes, Insane Clown Posse, Good Charlotte, and most bands of a similar brand. I also think the jam bands are no fun at all.

But to take aim at a few bands that haven't been smacked around yet...

Eels - The songs are very middling. And a couple have sounded like they were crafted just to go into commercials. But I think what really gets to me is E himself. He just seems like the ultimate poseur in so many ways - not just as it relates to indie rock, but as to his whole self-presentation. I can only think of the phrase "manufactured weirdness". And lots of folks buy into it.

To quote Jeff Lebowski, I hate The Fuckin' Eagles.

although not the eagles of death metal. They can live.

And finally, I must apologize to my Jewish friends...

SORRY JEWS. MATISYAHU SUCKS.

Ya'll are still totally my doggs, and will stay that way if the Beasties make a better album than that horrid To the 5 Boroughs record.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Nabubrush on March 24, 2006, 12:29:52 am
I don't mean to be too much of a cock, but there really wasn't any reason to make that line so small.

Also, I hate CCR, Jefferson Anything, The Velvet Underground, and Dave Matthieu's Band. Plus the whole Rob Thomas thing and all sorts of stuff like that, but who doesn't?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: BatzRadio on March 24, 2006, 12:46:58 am
I don't mean to be too much of a cock, but there really wasn't any reason to make that line so small.

It's okay. I understand. You drink a lot and being a bit of a cock is just part of that.

You are fo'given.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: theinevitable on March 24, 2006, 12:47:29 am
But... but...
I love CCR, Jefferson Anything, And especially the Velvet Underground.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Nabubrush on March 24, 2006, 12:55:17 am
But... but...
I love CCR, Jefferson Anything, And especially the Velvet Underground.

And that's OK. Really. Many, many people do. I just don't happen to be one of them.

We are both good people.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: LCB on March 24, 2006, 01:28:22 am
Yeah, jam bands. Some pack of beardy, dreadlocked dorks gets together with their guitars and a drum and maybe bongos and they give themselves a 'whimisical' name like, hypotetically, Banana Logic Collective or Deep Galactic Funk or SoulPopsicle. WHOO, jam band achieved. I'm reminded of all the times I went to a venue where a shit-tastic jam band was playing.

In one case, it was this band with a name that followed the [color][fruit][term for a group of people] naming formula, five guys up on stools. Guitar player, bass...noodler, really. A guy who alternated between a tambourine and a bongo. Some dork with a synth and another with a flute. A damned flute. All they played sounded like that background music for the Weather Channel's Local on the 8s, only with bongos and a meekly played bass guitar. At least no one had a banjo.

PS hows the old joke go,

Q:"What did one jam band fan say to the other after they ran out of pot?"
A: "Dude, this music SUCKS."
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2006, 02:30:27 am
Also, I hate CCR, Jefferson Anything, The Velvet Underground, and Dave Matthieu's Band. Plus the whole Rob Thomas thing and all sorts of stuff like that, but who doesn't?

CCR is great but i'm so sick of them.  Even years later I don't want to hear it again.  Jefferson Airplane fills me with glee, Jefferson Starship pretty good for an AOR band, Starship, uh no.  The Velvet Underground is don't really get what the big deal is about.  Dave Mathews is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.  Rob Thomas..  A Scott Stapp by any other name would still suck so hard.

~Paul
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: theinevitable on March 24, 2006, 02:54:58 am
my friend who is an ex-jam-band person has this to say: the best jam bands are the bands that didn't try to be "jam bands". The Grateful Dead didn't try to jam-- they just tried to integrate jazz. Phish started out as some kind of prog-rock.

Phish are great. I'm sorry, but they are. Trey Anastacio is a fantastic guitarist. a genius. I am not a hippy.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: misterqueue on March 24, 2006, 03:01:40 am
Phish are great. I'm sorry, but they are. BLAH BLAH BLAH  I am not a hippy.


Hippy.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: theinevitable on March 24, 2006, 09:23:50 pm
no, see, what I said was this: I am not a hippy.

it's ok, everyone makes mistakes sometimes.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Nabubrush on March 24, 2006, 10:35:12 pm
Queue never met a snappy retort he didn't like.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: misterqueue on March 24, 2006, 10:45:32 pm
Queue never met a snappy retort he didn't like.

This is true.  I even dated one...  twice.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Hobot on March 24, 2006, 11:14:06 pm
This is true.  I even dated one...  twice.

Both times, she left him for a clever jibe.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: misterqueue on March 24, 2006, 11:19:31 pm
I knew she didn't have the taste for a Witty Bon Mot like me.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: Nabubrush on March 25, 2006, 12:23:11 am
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: wombat on March 25, 2006, 12:25:51 am
Nabu have I told you lately how glad I am that you are back?
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2006, 12:27:33 am
Nabu have I told you lately how glad I am that you are back?

I was going to say something like this.  Thank you Wombat for saving me the trouble.

~Paul
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: wombat on March 25, 2006, 12:53:36 am
But don't worry Nabu, Paul does not mean it in a Maximum Cuddles kind of way.
Title: Re: the band i hate the most
Post by: arkabee on April 12, 2006, 06:03:45 pm
holy crap i hate me some Creed and Creed-related ear feces,
but Nickelback is still making me want to go collect dried leaves
and other sundry kindling materials to start a small fire to stoke
into a larger fire to use to heat pointed pieces of metal to
red hottedness with which to cauterize my auditorial nerve endings
with.