The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: robot_god on April 08, 2006, 09:51:08 pm

Title: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: robot_god on April 08, 2006, 09:51:08 pm
Please choose only one vegetable.  Do not choose potato.

Spinach
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: misterqueue on April 08, 2006, 09:55:43 pm
Snow Peas!
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: jough on April 08, 2006, 10:05:42 pm
Baby corn.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: wombat on April 08, 2006, 10:52:41 pm
Broccoli.  But where's the poll with the comedic final option?
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 08, 2006, 10:54:32 pm
Tacos.  No I mean broccoli.

Broccoli rocks.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Hobot on April 08, 2006, 11:09:55 pm
Artichoke!  (Nature's grenade).
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 08, 2006, 11:10:42 pm
Tomatos of course

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: wombat on April 08, 2006, 11:17:47 pm
Wait, tomatoes count?  Can I change my vote?
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: misterqueue on April 08, 2006, 11:18:30 pm
TOMATOES ARE FRUITS PEOPLE.


Otherwise I'd have picked Red Bell Peppers.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: CortJstr on April 08, 2006, 11:35:45 pm
Snow peas are tempting but I think I'm going to go for carrots.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: swinehund on April 08, 2006, 11:52:06 pm
Parsley.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AugustWest on April 09, 2006, 02:05:39 am
Eggplant. 

Wait, that's technically a berry, isn't it? OK then, Asparagus.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Mite on April 09, 2006, 02:27:16 am
I'm gonna be all dull and say carrots. But c'mon man, they're basically my favorite snack.

Snap peas are a close second.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Ben-San on April 09, 2006, 02:35:28 am
Broccoli for meals, carrots for snacking. Simple tastes, I guess.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: miles on April 09, 2006, 06:29:49 am
TOMATOES ARE FRUITS PEOPLE.

Not according to the US Supreme Court they're not.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Doc on April 09, 2006, 01:30:58 pm
If you can get peas (this applies to beans and snowpeas to a lesser extent) straight from the vine and eat them out of the pod you will know joy. Cooking most vegetables just ruins them in my opinion, but if we are talking about eating at a meal and not randomly from a plant then I guess lettuce is pretty good so long as it's all cold and crispy.
Obviously if we were to include tomatoes they would win over everything, but as we all know they are no vegetable and therefore of no consequence to this discussion.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2006, 01:31:22 pm
Really, we can't go with the botanical definition.  Then people can't even choose squash.  I don't think this is the intent of the original question.

My definition - Vegetables:  Things you wouldn't eat except that you know they are good for you.  That includes everything already mentioned except tomatoes and baby corn. 
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: side_show on April 09, 2006, 03:24:55 pm
onions.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: misterqueue on April 09, 2006, 03:26:16 pm
onions.

Great Googly Moogly, thank you for reminding me.

I change my vote to Garlic.  I change it 100 times.  The reasons for this should be clear; it's fuck*ng garlic.  I mean.. come on!
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2006, 04:11:19 pm
No, no, garlic doesn't count.  You'd eat garlic even if was BAD for you.  That's like counting chocolate as a vegetable because it is made from pods that grow on trees.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: side_show on April 09, 2006, 04:14:32 pm
But there a lots of vegetables that I'd eat even if they were bad for me: asparagus, corn, squash, carrots, and naturally, onions.

Also, is avocado a vegetable?  It is very fatty, but it is the "good" fat, and also delicious.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: misterqueue on April 09, 2006, 04:16:02 pm
No, no, garlic doesn't count.  You'd eat garlic even if was BAD for you.  That's like counting chocolate as a vegetable because it is made from pods that grow on trees.

Listen.  Garlic is the answer.  I don't care what the question is at all.  Garlic.


Who won the Heismann trophy in 1923?   Garlic.
What countries fought in the Crimean War?  Garlic.
Where are my #####?  Garlic.

I will have no more of these wrong answers people.  I think I have made my case.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Hobot on April 09, 2006, 04:22:00 pm
But there a lots of vegetables that I'd eat even if they were bad for me: asparagus, corn, squash, carrots, and naturally, onions.

Also, is avocado a vegetable?  It is very fatty, but it is the "good" fat, and also delicious.

I am terrified of onions.  Like a recovering alcoholic who can taste alcohol even when it has been cooked out of food, I can detect onions in anything (except I was never addicted to them, so this comparison is basically inaccurate).

Avocado is, however, exceedingly delicious.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: swinehund on April 09, 2006, 04:25:44 pm
My definition - Vegetables:  Things you wouldn't eat except that you know they are good for you.  That includes everything already mentioned except tomatoes and baby corn. 

I, um, like vegetables. If this is the definition I may have to repeal my answer and replace it with chewable multivitamins.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: misterqueue on April 09, 2006, 04:31:20 pm
If this is the definition I may have to repeal my answer and replace it with chewable multivitamins.

But Pebbles is nutritious AND delicious!*




*Dear readre, you may make that as creepy in your imagination as you feel mentally prepared to deal with.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: side_show on April 09, 2006, 04:35:34 pm
Turns out  avocado (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado) is a fruit kids.  Also, I was investigating why you never see cashews for sale in their shells like other nuts, and it turns out cashews  are seeds,  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew) and that the seed shells are a potent skin irritant.  huh.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: acoxcae on April 09, 2006, 04:47:24 pm
The winner here, barring garlic for being a spice and tomatoes for being fruits, is clearly sugar snap peas.  Snappy, slightly sweet, crunch and tenderness in the same edible pod.  Delicious.

Also, onion is basically a spice also.  Have you ever had an onion-based side dish?  No.

Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2006, 05:28:20 pm
But there a lots of vegetables that I'd eat even if they were bad for me: asparagus, corn, squash, carrots, and naturally, onions.

Also, is avocado a vegetable?  It is very fatty, but it is the "good" fat, and also delicious.

Hmm, avocado is a vegetable but it's cheating, like tomatoes, I think.

But seriously, you would eat carrots if they were bad for you?
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: acoxcae on April 09, 2006, 05:34:52 pm
Hmm, avocado is a vegetable but it's cheating, like tomatoes, I think.

But seriously, you would eat carrots if they were bad for you?

I'm pretty sure avocado is a fruit.  In fact, I'm positive.  But it *seems* like a vegetable, since it's green and not sweet-tasting.  But carrots, they're a vegetable, and even if I knew that eating just 10 would kill me dead instantly, I would see how far I got on that tenth carrot before I started getting woozy.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: CortJstr on April 09, 2006, 05:39:42 pm
Also, onion is basically a spice also.  Have you ever had an onion-based side dish?  No.

What about onion rings and/or bloomin' onions?

A *burger without raw diced onion is not a burger but is in fact a crime against humanity.

Q, I'm sorry but garlic is disqualified for being a necessity for survival. Like water or oral sex.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: jough on April 09, 2006, 05:50:14 pm
Also, onion is basically a spice also.  Have you ever had an onion-based side dish?  No.

No, no one has ever eaten onion rings, bloomin' onions, or roasted up some onions and peppers to go along with their sausages.  Also, no one cooks up those little pearl onions and serves them as a side-dish with a little butter.

Onions are a main course, a side dish, and even a fuck*ng dessert. They are so good I'd eat them even if they weren't good for me (and I really have no idea how good for you onions or green bell peppers are, but I eat them at least once a week, and there are few dishes that one can make in the Continental style to which I've grown accustomed that don't include onions.  I must, of course, not use garlic very often, due to being a participant in society, but you can cook the stink out of onions, and they are delicious and add much body and flavour to many sauces and dishes.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2006, 05:58:22 pm
This has been a very educational thread.  I now understand why so very many dishes cooked by other people are ruined by the addition of so many damn nasty carrots. 
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: acoxcae on April 09, 2006, 06:16:49 pm
No, no one has ever eaten onion rings, bloomin' onions, or roasted up some onions and peppers to go along with their sausages.  Also, no one cooks up those little pearl onions and serves them as a side-dish with a little butter.

Onion rings!  Of course! Foiled again.  However, bloomin' onions are just a modified onion ring, and I wouldn't consider the peppers and onions with sausages a side dish, I'd call them a seasoning - delicious as it might be.  Don't get me wrong, I love onions in all their forms and preparations, it's just that for some reason, I don't consider them to really be a "vegetable."  Also, eating garlic does not preclude you from entering society - I go through a head or two of garlic a week most weeks, and if society needs me, a corresponding quantity of mints, gum, or toothpaste.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: jough on April 09, 2006, 06:30:36 pm
The garlic smell actually comes out through your skin if you eat a lot of it.  Yes, there's soap, but the next time you sweat - more garlic!

But of course your SO is a member here, so I'm sure she can attest to your stinkiness or otherwise.

Also, my favourite veggie side dish is sauteed onions and peppers.  A little salt and pepper. Heaven.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: side_show on April 09, 2006, 06:37:28 pm
Also, a tasty side dish is creamed onion, and also I have had a tasty onion pie, and of course the delicious French onion soup is also a wonder of foodiness.  And also do not forget green onions, which my SO enjoys unaccompanied straight from the garden.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Gimpson on April 09, 2006, 06:43:57 pm
I have to go with Brussels Sprouts, but only because I'm on the side that doesn't include onions as acceptable for this discussion.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: sunnystar on April 09, 2006, 06:50:45 pm
The garlic smell actually comes out through your skin if you eat a lot of it.  Yes, there's soap, but the next time you sweat - more garlic!

But of course your SO is a member here, so I'm sure she can attest to your stinkiness or otherwise.

Also, my favourite veggie side dish is sauteed onions and peppers.  A little salt and pepper. Heaven.


I have to say that we do eat garlic, but neither of us stink. Alex certainly doesn't. And we have friends who keep us entertained during the weeks and weekends who have never once mentioned a garlicky smell when around us. :)
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: sunnystar on April 09, 2006, 06:53:05 pm
Best vegetables = carrots (uncooked), cucumbers, snow peas, corn, squash of any kind, and, in agreeing with Jough, onions and peppers -YUM!
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: CortJstr on April 09, 2006, 06:57:50 pm
This has been a very educational thread.  I now understand why so very many dishes cooked by other people are ruined by the addition of so many damn nasty carrots. 

Steamed carrots are my restaurant side-dish of choice. Oh sure, the garlic mashed potatoes are good but they should really be called "garlic butter and cream (processed in a kitchen that uses potatoes)". Now brocoli is not even a food, it's merely a space consuming packing material the for some reason the FDA refuses to ban from chinese take-out.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2006, 07:01:41 pm
Now brocoli is not even a food, it's merely a space consuming packing material the for some reason the FDA refuses to ban from chinese take-out.

See, now this is exactly what I thought carrots were.  I had no idea some people actually ate them, like, on purpose.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 09, 2006, 08:08:10 pm
Also, onion is basically a spice also.  Have you ever had an onion-based side dish?  No.

Yes.  Onion Rings.

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 09, 2006, 10:34:31 pm
See, now this is exactly what I thought carrots were.  I had no idea some people actually ate them, like, on purpose.

I once ate some, entirely on accident!
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: swinehund on April 09, 2006, 10:41:34 pm
But Pebbles is nutritious AND delicious!*

I actually have grown-up ones, like with molybdenum. Pebbles definitely tasted better.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: misterqueue on April 09, 2006, 10:42:12 pm
Pebbles definitely tasted better.

Really that just needed to be quoted again.  I am sorry about this.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AugustWest on April 09, 2006, 11:10:01 pm
Eatin' Pebbles?  Ain't that what BamBam does?
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: side_show on April 09, 2006, 11:56:09 pm
To my total disappointment, baby carrots have totally disappeared from store shelves locally over the past couple of years.  We used to buy the humourosly named Bunny Love brand baby carrots all the time - sweet, delicious and an easy, healthy snack.  I used to go around at the book shop I used to work at offering people some of my Bunny Love.  Everyone enjoyed this (including me) and it was known through out the store that no one could turn down my Bunny Love.  Then the supply of Bunny Love inexplicably started to dwindle, and eventually stopped all together, to be replaced by several different brands of baby-cut carrots - which are not baby carrots at all, but adult carrots, peeled and/or whittled down to look like baby carrots, but lacking the sweetness of actual baby carrots.

Also, during my CPR training it was noted by the paramedic that the the number one choking hazard amongst adults in Canada is the baby carrot.  So maybe Wombat is on to something.  It's easy to perform the Heimlich in these cases though.  (For children it's still ballons, which is almost impossible to save a child from because the exploded part the the balloon that is inhaled totally blocks the ability to perform CPR.  Lesson learned: Do not have balloons around small children.)
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: wombat on April 10, 2006, 12:15:56 am
Ha!  The evil carrot.  I knew it.  I'll bet no one ever chokes on avocados!
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Hobot on April 10, 2006, 12:24:28 am
Ha!  The evil carrot.  I knew it.  I'll bet no one ever chokes on avocados!

Guacamole is the silent killer.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: CortJstr on April 10, 2006, 12:42:41 am
I can see why a food item that shares it's name with a porn star could be popular.

I like guacamole but way too many restaurants have started doing that lame tableside preparation thing. Yes I get to say how spicy it should be or how much onion I want but the flavors have no time to mingle so it always ends up tasting like suck.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Mite on April 10, 2006, 01:46:42 am
I had a 5 pound sack of bunny love in my fridge not a week ago. They're plentiful here, at least, but only at the weird farmers market. I can ship you some if you need a hit.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on April 10, 2006, 01:59:24 am
Does zucchini count? I vote for that. Is so good!

I'm confused about all the carrot hate going on. I love carrots. The baby carrots can be eaten right out of the bag and the larger dirty carrots are easily cleaned, pealed and eaten ala Bugs Bunny. Chopped carrots on a salad , cooked carrots and peas, mmmm carrots.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 10, 2006, 02:54:11 am
There are hardly any vegetables I don't like.

Onions are a vegetable. Also I concur with those who define vegetables in the usage context rather than the botanical.

No one has mentioned burdock root or salsify yet? The foodie discussions are not so much fun since Choop stopped coming by.

I like some baby spinach gently wilted with some prosciutto or pancetta and a tiny bit of olive oil and dressed with just the slightest kiss of balsamic vinegar. A whisper of freshly grated parmesan cheese is also good instead of the vinegar (or with it, but that's a lot of competing flavor)

Yummy. This would also be good with broccolini or broccoli rabe, which are really good if you haven't tried them.


Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Lister on April 10, 2006, 03:56:30 am
My favorite is tomatoes, but those are fruits.  Next: garlic, bell peppers, then onions. I eat one of these things every day, but since they don't seem to be/count as vegetables for this discussion, I have a needlessly complexified answer:

Alone?  Raw?*  Carrots.

In a salad or as part of an italian recipe?  Spinach.  Can't stand it alone, though, not even creamed.




*The dirty parts of my mind continue this, but I shan't indulge their whims in public.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 10, 2006, 04:12:42 am
My favorite is tomatoes, but those are fruits.

Tomatos are so awesome they are both a fruit and a vegetable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetables).

Deal with it bitches.  Eat Tomatos More Frequently.

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: theinevitable on April 10, 2006, 04:37:27 am
the best vegetable?
basically one that is going away from my body at an angle. like a tangent, and it is never coming back.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AugustWest on April 10, 2006, 04:46:33 am
Terri Schiavo?
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: wombat on April 10, 2006, 12:38:13 pm

I like some baby spinach gently wilted with some prosciutto or pancetta and a tiny bit of olive oil and dressed with just the slightest kiss of balsamic vinegar. A whisper of freshly grated parmesan cheese is also good instead of the vinegar (or with it, but that's a lot of competing flavor)


Can I come live with you?  Please?

Do you really cook burdock root?  This is surely because you are practically in Japan. 
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Hobot on April 10, 2006, 02:41:17 pm
I can't believe no one is feeling the artichoke love.  However, I agree with those who have expounded upon the deliciousness of baby carrots, and would like to add that celery with peanut butter is also quite good.  It's full of cellulose, you know!
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 10, 2006, 02:54:14 pm
I can't believe no one is feeling the artichoke love.  However, I agree with those who have expounded upon the deliciousness of baby carrots, and would like to add that celery with peanut butter is also quite good.  It's full of cellulose, you know!

The artichoke only realizes it's full potential when dipped in butter.  The tomatoe needs no such help to achieve deliciousness.

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AugustWest on April 10, 2006, 02:58:56 pm
The artichoke only realizes it's full potential when dipped in butter.  The tomatoe needs no such help to achieve deliciousness.

~Paul

Au contraire!  Artichoke leaves are delicious with a multitude of sauces (curried mayo, anyone) or on their own.  And artichoke hearts are easily worth the work it takes to reach them.

Know something else I love?  Turnips.  The roots and the greens.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 10, 2006, 03:27:36 pm
Au contraire!  Artichoke leaves are delicious with a multitude of sauces (curried mayo, anyone) or on their own.  And artichoke hearts are easily worth the work it takes to reach them.

C'mon, the artichoke is a one note symphony and you know it.

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 10, 2006, 03:53:07 pm
Asparagus.

Did you know:  If you chop a lot of garlic and have the smell on your hands, you can get rid of it by rubbing coffee grounds on your hands.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: CortJstr on April 10, 2006, 04:13:38 pm
Asparagus was a tempting answer but it's affects on odors and whatnot where it counts* eliminated it from contention. But some grilled asparagus with a medium rare 14oz steak is still condensed and purified awesome.



*I'm talkin' Down Town!
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Hobot on April 10, 2006, 04:26:34 pm
*I'm talkin' Down Town!

Thank you, Star Jones.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: robot_god on April 10, 2006, 04:40:49 pm
Thank you, Star Jones.

I saw a clip of her on The Soup (formerly Talk Soup) this weekend and her head looked like skin was pulled tightly around a malformed skeleton's skull.  I mean, I've seen some alien-lookin' people, but she was just out-of-hand.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: CortJstr on April 10, 2006, 04:54:32 pm
Thank you, Star Jones.

Wait, does she seriously say that? I just assumed this was standard Simpsons mockery.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Hobot on April 10, 2006, 04:59:13 pm
Wait, does she seriously say that? I just assumed this was standard Simpsons mockery.

I have no idea; I was referring to the "Simpsons" bit.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: side_show on April 10, 2006, 06:28:53 pm
Terri Schiavo?

Zing!

Like the tomato: may or may not be a vegetable, depending on who you talk to.

This is why I love this board.  Tomatoes and Terry Schiavo, figures of controversy in the same discussion.   Rock!
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 10, 2006, 06:59:23 pm
Asparagus.

Did you know:  If you chop a lot of garlic and have the smell on your hands, you can get rid of it by rubbing coffee grounds on your hands.

Now i know what to do if I can't get the smell of coffee off my hands.

Also, Wombat, I keep inviting you and you keep not coming.



Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: miles on April 11, 2006, 12:40:36 am
Can I choose sweet potato?  I love sweet potatoes.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: wombat on April 11, 2006, 01:12:03 am
Also, Wombat, I keep inviting you and you keep not coming.


Because you don't have a clear enough plan for what we do when I refuse to go home. Adopt me? Have me arrested? Poison dart gun full of anesthetic and drive me to the airport fast before it wears off?  Will airlines even accept an unconscious passenger?

And what about the burdock root?
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: lprkn on April 11, 2006, 02:16:39 am
I don't know if it's a vegetable, but rhubarb for the win!

I also think that vegetables should be renamed vagetables. More people would eat vagetables.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: swinehund on April 11, 2006, 03:53:39 am
I also think that vegetables should be renamed vagetables. More people would eat vagetables.

I expect only the vagitarians like those.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Doc on April 11, 2006, 08:39:35 am
I had a 5 pound sack of bunny love in my fridge not a week ago.

Mite I know you not but you have brought joy (and a sig) to my life.

Man you guys have some freaky tastes when it comes to vegetables, maybe it's just because my parents idea of cooking just about every vegetable is to boil it for about half an hour (and then mash it if it is a root vegetable) but I find it hard to get my love on for anything that isn't green and crispy.
Carrots basically make me think of eating moist sawdust.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Mite on April 11, 2006, 11:06:11 am
Anytime, deary, anytime. Woohoo! I'm a sig!

I also come from a place where we boil vegetables until they can do no harm to anyone. I'm enjoying the south, because here they boil them to death with a ham hock, or bacon, or a whole pig or something. Changes the dynamic a bit.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Lister on April 11, 2006, 12:38:12 pm
Collard greens.  Ham hocks.  Yum.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: CortJstr on April 11, 2006, 02:26:25 pm
Carrots basically make me think of eating moist sawdust.

If it's no longer crispy then it's not a carrot anymore. It's just babyfood at that point. This is way carrots can only be eaten raw or steamed.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: side_show on April 11, 2006, 03:34:00 pm
I don't know if it's a vegetable, but rhubarb for the win!

I also think that vegetables should be renamed vagetables. More people would eat vagetables.

See, I am a rhubarb anti-fan.  Both the SO and I sneered at the abandoned rhubarb patch near my house.  It was agreed that it is something used only by old ladies.  This was confirmed when my mom tried to steal rhubarb from said patch and made a disgusting pie thing that we had to drowned in ice cream to eat without cringing.  Anything that requires such insane amounts of sugar to be edible should not be eaten.  Bleh.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2006, 04:10:59 pm
Paul tries Rhubarb Pie (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/MN_PARADE_05/IMAGES/PAUL/1024/DSCN7050-E-1024.jpg)
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Drygioni on April 11, 2006, 04:33:57 pm
Paul looks shocked and upset.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2006, 05:02:03 pm
Paul looks shocked and upset.

That's the look of tart and sweet competing to explode my head.

Take Two (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/MN_PARADE_05/IMAGES/PAUL/1024/DSCN7051-E-1024.jpg)

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: lprkn on April 11, 2006, 08:10:28 pm
I like how the lady with the blue ribbons on her head is in exactly the same pose in both pictures.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2006, 08:31:22 pm
I like how the lady with the blue ribbons on her head is in exactly the same pose in both pictures.

Huh, so she is.  That's my super cool friend Mina (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/ART_CAR_PARADE_2004/IMAGES/MAIN_SQUEEZE/E500/DSCN9205-E500.jpg).  She is half Japanese, she's totally into Harry Potter, (her car is a hippogriff (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/MN_PARADE_05/IMAGES/ASST_1/1024/DSCN6750-E-1024.jpg)) and to bring this back on topic, she's a vegetarian.

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: swinehund on April 11, 2006, 08:37:52 pm
her car is a hippogriff (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/MN_PARADE_05/IMAGES/ASST_1/1024/DSCN6750-E-1024.jpg)

That car is pretty impressive. I am not normally impressed by cars.

What is sad: we are vaguely thinking of getting a car, for the first time ever (after learning how to drive, neither my husband or I ever have). I have never thought about getting a car seriously before. Of course the first things we're looking for are safety, good fuel efficiency, and low maintenance costs. After that, one of the first things that I could barely help thinking was what colour the ground effects should be.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2006, 08:50:22 pm
That car is pretty impressive. I am not normally impressed by cars.

Oh yeah, you are new here, so you've not seen my car (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DRAGONFIRE/DSCN8999-E-1024.jpg).

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2006, 08:52:02 pm
I'm not surprised at the reaction to the rhubarb incident since we established long ago that the denizens here are pie and baseball hating hooligans (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,408.0.html).

That was great Ash, i've not seen that before.  That was posted during my exile.  Thanks for the reminder.

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: wombat on April 11, 2006, 08:59:44 pm

What is sad: we are vaguely thinking of getting a car, for the first time ever (after learning how to drive, neither my husband or I ever have). I have never thought about getting a car seriously before. Of course the first things we're looking for are safety, good fuel efficiency, and low maintenance costs. After that, one of the first things that I could barely help thinking was what colour the ground effects should be.

On car shopping. (http://www.comics.com/comics/frazz/archive/images/frazz2091597060411.gif)
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: swinehund on April 11, 2006, 09:09:10 pm
On car shopping. (http://www.comics.com/comics/frazz/archive/images/frazz2091597060411.gif)

Yes, I appreciate that. Unfortunately, the subway does not go to the awesome hiking spots or the ferry docks very readily. It's only become appealing after moving to Vancouver which has so much awesome stuff to do that is just outside of the city. I really do not ever want to be car-dependent, that's part of why we've avoided it for so long. Also ironic is that part of the appeal of a car is being able to go to somewhere to run long distances. Rental or a car-share program are other options.

Paul: the fire is a very nice touch, particularly because the car does not seem so much the type to spout fire.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on April 11, 2006, 09:33:38 pm
Car Buying!! (the short answer)

safety + good fuel efficiency +  low maintenance costs = Honda or Toyota
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2006, 09:35:06 pm
Not Having a Car = Does Not Compute.

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 11, 2006, 09:38:46 pm
I'm not surprised at the reaction to the rhubarb incident since we established long ago that the denizens here are pie and baseball hating hooligans (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,408.0.html).

But y'all like veg's and someone(s) gave the onion enough love so good on y'all.

ALSO: Corn right off the stalk and hand stripped in the field is OK, too.

How did we not wind up with a thread where you give a little more detail to the relevation that you paid professional baseball? I mean, the stuff we've learned about you in the past year! I'm looking forward to your autobiography.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: swinehund on April 11, 2006, 09:49:05 pm
Not Having a Car = Does Not Compute.

Growing up, my access to car transport was erratic at best, and then I've always lived somewhere with decent bus service. Also when I was 8 my uncle died in a motorcycle accident, at 10 my mom nearly died from being hit by a car. Not much love for them.

Hobo Frenzy: I think we've decided on the Corolla if this happens, with all the optional safety features.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 11, 2006, 10:48:50 pm
E10 Gas is the law in Hawaii now, but the Ethanol producers on the island can't meet the demand yet.

Could an engine run on 100% Ethanol? And could we keep drunks from siphoning our gas if one could?

Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: swinehund on April 11, 2006, 11:21:01 pm
Iogen (http://www.iogen.ca/) is a pilot project to make fuel ethanol from straw and other waste cellulose, leaving the vegetables for us to eat. They break down the cellulose enzymatically into sugar, which is where the majority of sugar is in the plant. It would also allow the option to pick crops just for cellulose production rather than having to use food crops, so possibly requiring less fertilizer in the long run. Not that they'd go that route for quite a while.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on April 11, 2006, 11:46:55 pm
BIO-DIESEL! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel)
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 12, 2006, 12:24:51 am
There's a biodiesel co-op here in Hawaii. You can actually have drums of fuel delivered to your house, since it can't explode or burn at normal temperatures. The cost is pretty low per gallon and the mileage is good. Some places may also give you a tax break for using an eco-friendly fossil-fuel alternative. Also, oddly enough, here in Hawaii Biodiesel is actually cheaper than petrodiesel. And gas.

I almost went that route last year. Driving around leaving water vapor and the pleasant smell of french fries in my wake seems appealing.

So, instead, I drive an SUV that gets 17 mpg. The road to hell and all that.

Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on April 12, 2006, 01:12:09 pm
Holy shit, just another reason to love Hawaii and be envious of Hawaiians! That is so cool that you can get Bio-Diesel AD.

I want a diesel for good gas mileage reasons and the great low end torque. And if Bio-D was readily available I would run it in a heart beat! That's it!! I need to move to Hawaii! I don't care if the native people hate me, I don't care if I have to live in poverty because I can't make expensive house payments, I don't care about 40+ days of rain. I want to be surrounded by beaches that I can easily drive to with my Volkswagen TDi that runs on Bio Diesel. Also surfing looks hell of fun. You with me Wombat? You ready to take a boat to Hawaii?

Vegetables will power me and my car someday!!
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: arkabee on April 12, 2006, 09:42:11 pm
Tomatos are so awesome they are both a fruit and a vegetable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetables).

Deal with it bitches.  Eat Tomatos More Frequently.

~Paul


tomatos are the bomb diggity.

paul, what does ETMF mean other than eating tomatos more frequently?
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Drygioni on April 12, 2006, 09:50:54 pm
Quote
Vegetable is also used as a literary term for any plant: vegetable matter, vegetable kingdom. It comes from Latin vegetabilis (animated) and from vegetare (enliven) in reference to the process of a plant growing.

That's quite interesting, considering the modern uses of the words 'vegetate' and when referring to humans as 'vegetables'. Use of language always changes, people. It must be accepted.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2006, 10:24:40 pm

tomatos are the bomb diggity.

paul, what does ETMF mean other than eating tomatos more frequently?


I'm glad you asked.  I wrote about that here (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1003.msg18856.html#msg18856) a long time ago.  I was just thinking about that post yesterday because I lost 100 cans (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2506.msg62177.html#msg62177) for making a joke (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2719.msg61874.html#msg61874) at G.O.D.'s expense.  I remember when I posted my ETMF story G.O.D. Made a similar albiet meaner joke (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1003.msg18859.html#msg18859) at my expense.  But I don't obsess over the TCODP, they're meaningless to me.

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: jough on April 13, 2006, 05:50:57 am
Okay, so Paul, you've been waiting for the opportune time to use that line for the past two years?

I'm dumbstruck by your unwavering perspicacity.  You have your cans back, plus a few to grow on.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 13, 2006, 01:01:59 pm
Okay, so Paul, you've been waiting for the opportune time to use that line for the past two years?

I'm dumbstruck by your unwavering perspicacity.  You have your cans back, plus a few to grow on.

Actually no, I just noticed that post of yours while researching my reply to Ark and thus decided to craft my response like I did, but I can totally see why victims groups play the martyr card, it totally works.  I had to google up perspicacity, I don't believe i've ever encountered that word before.

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: wombat on April 13, 2006, 01:46:33 pm
Education!

And hey, how about those vegetables!
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: linnea on April 15, 2006, 01:47:52 am
My favorite vegetable is artichokes (it's been said before, but they are fuck*ng rad), with asparagus and snap peas running very close 2nd and 3rd. I try to eat vegetables, but their desirability somehow pales when compared to sugar and other simple carbohydrates.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Hobot on April 15, 2006, 03:46:48 am
Linnea feels the artichoke love!


Hang on, that didn't sound right.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 15, 2006, 04:07:34 am
Hobot, i've been meaning to show you this (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN8897_8_9_901-E-S-1024.jpg) for sometime.  That's the art project my friend Drew did for his part in the Art Crawl a couple of months ago.  It's the Louis Vitaco and it reminds me of your avatar somehow.

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Hobot on April 15, 2006, 05:21:23 am
My visage has also been rumoured to appear on grilled cheese sandwiches. 

Perhaps I should start my own line of designer foodstuffs.  My only fear is that no one would want said edibles, because they would be vegan, and therefore terribly unappealing.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 15, 2006, 05:41:23 am
The Louis Vitaco was vegan and quite delicious.  Well wait, i'm not sure about that.  There may have been animal products in the tortilla itself.

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 16, 2006, 12:00:09 am
The Louis Vitaco was vegan and quite delicious.  Well wait, i'm not sure about that.  There may have been animal products in the tortilla itself.

~Paul

Dude made a taco with no cheese or meat?
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 16, 2006, 01:59:00 am
Oh yeah, cheese, no meat.  Avacado.

Not vegan, sorry.

~Paul
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 17, 2006, 06:00:26 pm
Still sounds kind of yucky. Guacamole already goes on a taco.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: side_show on April 18, 2006, 03:03:24 am
Tonight's dinner was a celebration of tasty vegetables: green pepper, tomato, purple onion, and avocado, all diced and sauteed in extra virgin olive oil with three cloves of garlic, oregano, hot red pepper flakes and a medley of squid, octopus, shrimp, oysters, with whole wheat pasta spirals and just a dusting of grated Parmesan.  It was beautiful.

Both my SO and I were talking about avocado specifically, and how both of us first enjoyed avocado only in adulthood.  For me it was a lunch at a University prof's house, and for him it was from me cooking him dinner at some point.  I suppose it's that we're both prairie folk, with meat & potato parents, but it's hard to imagine a life without avocado now.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Mite on April 18, 2006, 11:51:41 am
I agree about the avacados, side_show. Once I was in college I had to go back and convince my mother that guacamole doesn't contain mayo!
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: robot_god on April 18, 2006, 12:40:06 pm
I believe I am obligated to foward this to this board.

http://www.stuffonmycat.com/ (http://www.stuffonmycat.com/)
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Mite on April 18, 2006, 03:17:30 pm
I believe I am obligated to foward this to this board.

http://www.stuffonmycat.com/ (http://www.stuffonmycat.com/)
Every time anyone links to that site, I'm required to blow 20 minutes there. Now if only my cat would hold still, I could complete my magnum opus!
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: pmcd9 on April 18, 2006, 03:22:32 pm
Still sounds kind of yucky. Guacamole already goes on a taco.

Guacamole and avacado aren't the same thing, you of all people should know this.  The Louis Vitaco was delicious, not yucky.

~Paul

Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Hobot on April 18, 2006, 03:51:44 pm
Delicious salad-cat (http://www.stuffonmycat.com/media/2/20060417-Amelia.jpg).
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 18, 2006, 05:48:39 pm
Delicious salad-cat (http://www.stuffonmycat.com/media/2/20060417-Amelia.jpg).

All I can say to that cat is "Have some dignity for God's sake".
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: acoxcae on April 18, 2006, 07:51:20 pm
Hove

Fixed that for you.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: weareas1 on April 20, 2006, 07:44:47 am
The garlic.  Without it, life would cease to have any purpose.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 20, 2006, 07:26:17 pm
Garlic is standing right on the line between 'plant item used for flavoring" and 'vegetable'.



In my mind, a vegetable is something you can prepare and eat and tell people "I'm having -------ed vegetable with my porkchops.

Like, say, steamed carrots, or braised broccoli. I can't think of a dish where garlic is the central ingredient (although there are garlic soups out there). It's like chives that way.

Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: Ben-San on April 20, 2006, 10:16:23 pm
What about dudes who eat roasted garlic on bread?
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 20, 2006, 10:43:20 pm
What about the dude that's eating butter and bread?

Dude's eating bread. With some garlic on it. The main part is the bread.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: robot_god on April 20, 2006, 11:13:09 pm
Man, I could eat buttered bread all day.  The most indulgent of meals.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: CortJstr on April 20, 2006, 11:15:33 pm
Man, I could eat buttered bread all day.  The most indulgent of meals.

It was my birthday, asshole.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: wombat on April 21, 2006, 12:21:49 am
What about dudes who eat roasted garlic on bread?

And what about the ladies?
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: misterqueue on April 21, 2006, 12:22:48 am
And what about the ladies?

I will be taking care of them thank you very much.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 21, 2006, 01:20:58 am
I will be taking care of them thank you very much.

I wonder which vegetable he will be using?
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: miles on April 21, 2006, 05:29:51 am
Ewww.  But you get a can because I didn't expect it from you.

Not that you haven't shown a certain degree of sick-fuckery before, but I guess it's been a while.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: robot_god on April 21, 2006, 08:37:16 am
Man, I could eat buttered bread all day.  The most indulgent of meals.

omgggg, I am eating buttered bread right now.  God, damn, it's so good.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: wombat on April 21, 2006, 12:39:51 pm
Ewww.  But you get a can because I didn't expect it from you.

Not that you haven't shown a certain degree of sick-fuckery before, but I guess it's been a while.

Hey!  AlohaDawg was a sick fuck since certain other sick fucks were just a twinkle in some sick fuck's eye.  Don't you underestimate him.
Title: Re: Choose the best vegetable
Post by: smick on May 03, 2006, 03:46:26 pm
The Louis Vitaco was delicious, not yucky.

"Rise from the grave!"

I had to resurrect this thread for the Louis Vuitton Jaffa Cake (http://www.pimpmysnack.com/project.php?projectID=62&pageID=2).   The picture at the bottom has a Jaffa Cake in it for size comparison.