The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: AugustWest on August 10, 2010, 01:37:23 pm

Title: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on August 10, 2010, 01:37:23 pm
We doing football this year?

Who wants to be Commish?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 10, 2010, 02:12:35 pm
a.  Hells yes.

b.  Not me, matey.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on August 10, 2010, 02:49:11 pm
I won it so I'll run it.

Like Al Davis on a vodka and benzedrine Vegas run

OH HELLS YES!!!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on August 10, 2010, 03:00:20 pm
Yinz can count me in.  This year I won't let the damn machine pick my players.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on August 10, 2010, 09:03:14 pm
Not committing, mind, but am interested in looking at how this thing works.  What's the address?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on August 11, 2010, 02:04:47 am
A couple comments/requests:

I'm about 90% sure I'll be on the road or away from a computer the afternoon of Sept. 3.  How tied are you to that date and time?

Only 1 IR slot?

I like the 3 individual defensive players.  Cool addition.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 11, 2010, 01:32:50 pm
What's the address?

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on August 11, 2010, 03:20:00 pm
I like noon PST of any day between now and then.

Noon PST is fine w/ me.  But I (like all the rest of my fellow state employees) am being furloughed on 9/3, which is also the Friday before Labor Day.  So we're headed to STL a day earlier. 
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on August 11, 2010, 08:51:33 pm
So in.

I'm not a fan of 2 DEF/2 QB in a league of 8-10 (if we get that many).  With 6 teams off in weeks 8 and 9, there's a good chance you can get stuck without two options.  Only 1 of those positions means everyone can carry two if they want, and have a choice to make every week.  RB is different because so many teams play two regularly, so it's possible to have enough options there.

I'm also concerned about having 9 positions to fill and only 6 bench spots.  I hesitate to increase the bench because it's better when more starters are either playing or available, so I'd lean towards reducing the number of positions (cutting TE, DL, LB, and/or DB).

How does the IR slot work?  And is it possible to change how the can't-cut list works?  I remember some people getting owned by that last time.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on August 27, 2010, 02:09:24 pm
We've only got 4 players.  C'mon folks!  We need at least a couple more.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on August 27, 2010, 03:07:16 pm
is there like an autodraft thing? i can't afford the time for a new hobby but if it can be mainly hands-off i'll join in

ninja edit: with zero expectations of winning, of course
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on August 27, 2010, 03:10:05 pm
I'm in as the Habaneros.  I may edit that if something more awesome springs to mind.  I think the radchili password influenced my choice.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on August 27, 2010, 05:08:47 pm
The Terror Mosque has joined the fray.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on August 27, 2010, 06:36:32 pm
Atlanta Autopilots will take the field whenever their programming instructs.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 30, 2010, 12:51:53 pm
That gets us up to 7.  Boy howdy do we need one more team.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on August 30, 2010, 07:57:18 pm
We really kinda need one more person to try out the fun and joy of fantasy football, folks, or the rest of us will not be allowed to play by The Man.

I'm looking at you, Wombat!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: wombat on August 30, 2010, 10:56:32 pm
I'm looking at you, Wombat!

If you are, you are a silly person!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 31, 2010, 12:47:24 am
I just don't wanna sign up for a fantasy team and end up not paying any attention because my life is a trainwreck again.

I have figured out my own pattern, you see.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on August 31, 2010, 04:01:18 am
Shit, I think I busted this at the last minute. 10 would be good, though . . . . heh heh heh . . . . ok, I'm sorry for fuck*ng it up.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on August 31, 2010, 04:15:14 am
My daughter will play if we need a 10th player.  If nobody has signed up by noon or so tomorrow, I'll get her set up to play.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on August 31, 2010, 04:47:03 am
She won't do anything rude like win, will she?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on August 31, 2010, 05:06:32 am
Shit, I think I busted this at the last minute. 10 would be good, though . . . . heh heh heh . . . . ok, I'm sorry for fuck*ng it up.

Are you Buck Naked?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on August 31, 2010, 01:07:04 pm
She won't do anything rude like win, will she?

Not on purpose.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on August 31, 2010, 05:19:54 pm
Fuck it - let 'em join. We're going to be screwed otherwise.

Paul, I am, of course, the Venomous Monkeys.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on August 31, 2010, 06:41:36 pm
We have ten!

I'm trying not to think depraved thoughts about Teen Girl Squad.

That's my daughter!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on August 31, 2010, 06:55:50 pm
don't worry woodrow i'm sure my incompetence will at least guarantee you won't be in last place
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on August 31, 2010, 07:10:59 pm
I'm on autopilot because I have no idea who is who.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on August 31, 2010, 08:01:38 pm
Ah well, good luck everybody! Maybe this year I figure out the DirecTV fantasy player tracker doohickey.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on August 31, 2010, 08:07:19 pm
I get Purple Jesus my first week?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on August 31, 2010, 08:09:43 pm
so i'm looking at the matchup schedule and i have a bye week every week but week one. wtf is up with that.


edit: oh. it's fuck*ng with me.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on September 01, 2010, 07:09:18 pm
I have a team with Cowboys and Patriots on it.  This is what I hate about fake internet football.

Also I apparently draft solely on upside.

This should be interesting.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on September 01, 2010, 08:23:03 pm
How does one maneuver their teams?  Apparently there is a drag and drop feature, but I don't know what I am dragging or where to drop it.

Also, you can trade players?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 01, 2010, 08:41:21 pm
To move players within your team:  Grab the blue block on the left for the player you want to move, then drag it down to where you want to move him (e.g. the bench).  Players who you can legally swap for him will light up yellow, and then when you drop it there it'll automatically move that guy to the other spot.  Click "Submit Changes" at the bottom when you're done.

To pick up free agents:  click Players: Add up near the top under My Team.  It'll walk you through finding who's available, and once you've picked someone, deciding who to drop from your roster.  Note that certain guys (the big stars/top ranked players) may not be cut from your roster, they're marked as such.

To make trades with other teams:  click Players: trade near the top under My Team.  Find the team you want to trade with, then the player you want to trade.  It'll walk you through marking who you want to offer.  The other team will then get a notification, and they can accept or decline (and then counter-offer, if desired).

Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on September 02, 2010, 08:59:11 pm
Used to be you could switch to classic style to where you didn't have to drag and drop. Not sure if it's still an option. I gotta say, the more I look at my team the happier I am with it. This probably bodes pretty ill. Also, Paul, you can trade as well as add free agents, but in my experience most people just add folks as oppose to try to come up with some Herschel Walker-type monstrosity. Plus trades get voted on, if I recall.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 03, 2010, 01:58:27 pm
Yeah, when a trade comes up, you get an e-mail allowing you to vote on it (non-votes are considered "yes").  The key here is "Vote on whether you think this trade is fair," not "Do you want to shoot this trade down just because you don't like it."  If someone having a shitty year starts trading away all their best players to one team for crap, vote that shit down.  Doesn't come up too much, fortunately.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on September 03, 2010, 02:42:01 pm
You vote on all trades, not just your own?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 03, 2010, 02:55:11 pm
Yup.  You don't HAVE to vote, though, if you think it's an OK trade or you just don't give a shit, don't bother clicking through.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on September 03, 2010, 04:06:15 pm
You vote on all trades, not just your own?

You pretty much just vote on your own by virtue of submitting the request. As was mentioned earlier, mostly you're just voting to make sure someone who is out of the playoffs isn't dumping his best players to get his friend an advantage. The only other issue would maybe be someone trying to trade TO for Brees or something, to take advantage of someone who doesn't know much about football.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 03, 2010, 04:32:37 pm
I've never been much of a trader.  If there's a real obvious need-for-need situation (I have four good relief pitchers but no outfielders!  You have five good outfielders but no relief pitchers!  Let's talk!), then fine.  But too often I feel like I'm being taken for a ride.

The league I used to be in had two guys who were wheeler-dealers, who loved making the deals for their own sake.  One of them in particular was really persistent, e-mailing me and IMing me daily when he wanted to make a deal.  He would spend a lot of time talking about how great the guy he wanted to trade to me was, how it would be good for my team.  Which always led to the question, "If this guy is so great, then why do YOU want to make this deal?"  He rarely had a good answer for that.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on September 13, 2010, 01:47:28 pm
Arian Foster delivered a third of my point total this week by himself. I drafted him in the 10th round. So there's that.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on September 14, 2010, 03:05:00 pm
I think I'm 2-2 to start the season. Fuck the Chefs.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: miles on September 15, 2010, 01:28:09 am
But did you see that punt return (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmXRGoAbRws)?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on September 15, 2010, 01:58:55 am
I saw lots of horrible things in that game. That was but one of them.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on September 15, 2010, 04:48:33 pm
Its just the inevitable outcome of having Norv Turner as head coach.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on September 16, 2010, 02:30:27 am
I don't think Norv is the only problem. The Bolts have had so many problems in the front office since, well, forever. I think, Ash, you have it exactly right. I also think that the window may have alread closed - we should have made a few moves when we had Gates and Tomlinson in their prime. I think our troubles drafting in the secondary kind of screwed us, and then we sort of used up Tomlinson and didn't have the greatest O-line, and now I'm depressed.

Gee, thanks guys!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on September 16, 2010, 02:42:47 am
Quote from: Solana Beach Sun (whatever the fuck that is)
The San Diego Chargers placed veteran long snapper David Binn on "Reserve-Injured" on Wednesday due to a hamstring injury. The longest-tenured Charger will miss the rest of the season. Binn played in 256 of the last 257 regular-season games San Diego has played and all 12 of its playoff games dating back to his rookie season in 1994.

Dammit! This guy's been like a rock! Hell, he dated Pamela Anderson and that didn't take him out!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on September 20, 2010, 03:21:11 am
How can a quarterback named Manning earn negative fantasy points?

Edit:  Nevermind.  Last minute TD kept that sign of the Apocalypse sealed.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on September 21, 2010, 03:21:41 am
All I need for a win is for Colston to catch like 5 90-yard touchdown passes.  In the next six minutes.

Yep, it's fantasy football, all right...
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 01, 2010, 01:35:56 am
My squad seems to be shaping up ok. It's gratifying to have the team do well after a live draft.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 01, 2010, 02:24:20 am
Results of idle research: I think this (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200011050sea.htm) is the box score from the first NFL game I attended in person (I might have gone to one before this). Check out the first downs and total yards. I don't understand why this happens.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 01, 2010, 02:52:08 am
The first NFL game I ever attended, my brother got pneumonia and ended up in the hospital.

Ah, Buffalo.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 01, 2010, 04:37:03 am
The NFL is the only one of the big 4 that I have not seen a game in person.  Went to at least 5 games at OU and probably 25 at OSU so that probably counts.  Especially OU.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on October 01, 2010, 08:25:06 am
What's the big 4, NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 01, 2010, 10:11:52 am
What's the big 4, NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL?

That would be it.  During the trip for my first MLB game my little league baseball team played pool baseball with Joe Carter.  We were both from Oklahoma City.  It is probably the only picture I have. 

I went to my only NBA game to yell stuff at Gilbert Arenas.  It was before the whole gun thing, and I was yelling good things.  It was super icy in OKC and maybe 2000 people were there tops.

I went to my only NHL game randomly because of free tickets.  It was hella sweet- way cooler than I thought it would be.  I was offered some free Denver Broncos tickets around the same time but didn't go.


Dayum, we all know about the Joe Carter home run, but here are two pretty kick ass trivia facts about him, from wiki:

Carter has the unique honour of being the first person to score a run in a World Series outside of the United States (Game 3, 1992 World Series) and the last person to do so (Game 6, 1993 World Series), a distinction that will remain in place until Toronto wins the American League pennant again (in 1993 there were two Canadian teams, but the Montreal Expos never reached a World Series and exist today as the Washington Nationals). He is also the only player ever to both record the final out in one World Series, and get a series-clinching walk-off hit in another.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 01, 2010, 01:00:21 pm
I believe this is the first (or maybe second) NFL game I attended:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199611100was.htm

Truly redonkulous.  Redskins up by 14 in the 4th, Cardinals tie it.  Both teams missed field goals in OT before the Cardinals finally hit one.  Boomer Esiason all throwin' for 500 yards.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on October 01, 2010, 01:32:10 pm
I've been to several NFL games and multiple MLB games.  I don't have much interest in hockey, so an NHL game is unlikely.  Haven't been to an NBA game, but been to lots of college basketball.  Oddly enough, I did go to a couple of ABA games as a kid. Go Colonels!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 01, 2010, 03:23:35 pm
Yeah, but Alex Van Pelt. I work with a guy who played corner against Vince Young in high school. He admits that VY burned him pretty badly.

It's somewhat charitable to consider the NHL still part of the big four, and I like hockey more than base or basketball. I've seen ten or fifteen NHL games and one NBA game. Also some semipro hockey and college FB. I'd like to go to an NHL game in the next few seasons. I'm not sure how ugly they get - I was surprised at how chippy it got in the stands for SD - Sea on Sunday.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: CortJstr on October 01, 2010, 03:29:45 pm
A few years ago a group of soccer supporters went to a Caps game. Apparently the other hockey fans were quite annoyed and how they kept standing and cheering and whatnot. From this I gather one watches hockey while sitting quietly in the manner of an opera or Japanese wrestling.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 01, 2010, 03:49:48 pm
It's more the standing part.  Caps fans are plenty loud, but the expectation is that you're sitting down until something big happens (i.e. a goal or a fight).

I had Caps season tickets for two years, during their LAST good phase (when they won two division titles and traded for Jaromir Jagr).  Don't go all that often any more, but at least once a season.  Been to a handful of NFL and NBA games.  I actually think one is better off watching a football game at home, in terms of actually seeing what's going on in the game, not to mention not freezing your ass of in December and not having to pay $8 for a beer.  But there is something about the overall spectacle of a live NFL game with 80,000 of your closest friends that makes it worth doing every once in a while.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on October 01, 2010, 03:54:15 pm
i ain't payin two hundred a seat to watch the falcons do anything.

growing up in ohio in the eighties, i got to see the reds post-machine and the bengals' one good season with boomer. the browns and indians were across the state so they were the enemy. still: reds? bengals? ugh. this is why i'm not so much a sports fan.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 01, 2010, 04:36:29 pm
I've seen a mess of MLB games at Shea and Citi and The Big A and Dodger Stadium, of course, and a few NFL games in Buffalo and that's really it in the terms of the major league games.

I doubt I could fit in the seats at Fenway and I doubt I could spend nine innings in fuck*ng Yankee Stadium without leaving on a fuck*ng stretcher.

I love the hell out of live minor league hockey, in person watching dudes from farms in Alberta just wailing on each other over and over again trying to get called up as an enforcer, but the NHL bores me... probably mostly because it is almost as bad of a television sport as soccer and since they're in the majors already, they don't fight nearly as much.

The NBA... eh. Eh. I just can't generate much more feeling about the NBA than "meh".

I did rush the field after the one Big East Championship 'Cuse won while McNabb was there, winning on a last-second touchdown. That was fun as hell.

I was bigger than a lot of the opposing team's players and a lot of them were crying, which was... weird.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 01, 2010, 05:21:55 pm
There used to be an ECHL team in the Maryland 'burbs (they since moved to Mississippi or someplace like that where they don't naturally have ice, ever).  I organized a couple of group outings to their games with the promise "If there isn't a fight, I will personally refund the cost of your ticket."  I never had to pay.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on October 01, 2010, 05:31:20 pm
I have seen an ECHL game.  That was pretty fun, even though I no nothing about hockey.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on October 01, 2010, 10:12:42 pm
I was in Pittsburgh to play the Pitt Panthers and I broke curfew to have a cabby take me down to Three Rivers Stadium. There was no game or event that night so I scaled a fence or two and avoided the office side and...found myself the field. I ran around on what I thought was the TarTan (it was Astro by then)Turf and took pictures of my feet on the endzone logo until some dude yelled at me to get the hell out. I asked him which way was the quickest and he actually told me, and nice enough too. I asked him how often he had to boot someone and he said "Tonight?" which answered my question.

Did I ever tell y'all about the time I put a curse on the Buffalo Bills?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on October 01, 2010, 10:37:18 pm
I've seen maybe 100 Oilers games in person and at least that many Astros games.  I've also seen the Rangers play a few times in Arlington and I saw  St. Louis game once.  I've seen a ton of Rockets games even though I like basketball the least of the big three sports. 

Houston doesn't have a NHL team, but they had the Aeros back in the 70s with Gordie Howe and his two sons.  Saw them play a bunch.  I don't know what league they were in, but it wasn't the NHL.  I remember they played against the Winnipeg Jets and Edmonton Oilers before they joined the NHL. The Aeros folded instead of trying to join the NHL.  My memory is foggy on this, but it seems like they had a season ticket drive and they had to sell some certain amount of season tickets to get into the NHL, maybe 8000 seats, and they failed.  Anyway, I saw them play a few times, that was a lot of fun.

Now there is another Houston Aeros team which I saw play once with free tickets.  I didn't enjoy it as much as I did when I was a kid. 

Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 01, 2010, 11:50:37 pm
Quote from: pmcd9
Houston doesn't have a NHL team, but they had the Aeros back in the 70s with Gordie Howe and his two sons.  Saw them play a bunch.  I don't know what league they were in, but it wasn't the NHL.  I remember they played against the Winnipeg Jets and Edmonton Oilers before they joined the NHL.

World Hockey Association. WHA.

(I love me some defunct sports team history.)
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 02, 2010, 07:24:49 pm
I used to watch the Anchorage Aces play a lot. They actually played pretty good hockey. I missed the year of the NHL lockout, when Scotty Gomez came back and played with them. I've heard it was like watching an adult play against Pee-Wees.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on October 04, 2010, 04:51:52 pm
All I need to get a record of 3-1 is for Miami's Defense to score 54 fantasy points.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 04, 2010, 07:10:03 pm
Hell, the Giants probably scored that last night, yeah?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on October 04, 2010, 07:40:38 pm
Just out of curiousity, does anybody know what it means when a player's score is in blue and has an asterisk by it? 
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 04, 2010, 07:54:58 pm
It means that guy got points for something atypical of the position.  A good example is if an offensive player makes a tackle after a turnover, he gets 1 point for that.

If you go to your matchup page, you should be able to click on the score for anyone who is so starred, and it'll tell you what the extra points came from.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on October 04, 2010, 09:09:24 pm
Dear The Eagles -

     Do you think you could possibly wait to let your QB of record get killed in the fourth quarter next time?  Thanks!  XOXO


(And yes I know Vick did it himself, it's just... gah.)
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 04, 2010, 09:44:37 pm
I'd just like to point out that Eli Manning's total of -3.75 fantasy points this week is the perfect example of how I hate quarterbacks who may look somewhat competent but do the little things that make them a big bag of team-dragging suck.

I know you played and all, but I ain't never see competence from Eli Manning.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 04, 2010, 10:43:47 pm
Ah, the "game manager".
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on October 04, 2010, 11:11:03 pm
I got Roddy White on my fantasy team.  His accomplishment in the SF game is a classic example of the inner conflict that besets fantasy players - what if one of your players has a career night against your favourite (RL) team?

On that topic, goddamnit Clements, how could you not cover the ball when you get hung up in traffic on an interception return?  All you guys had to do was sit on it for 90 seconds and you would have won. 
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on October 05, 2010, 12:36:38 am
It means that guy got points for something atypical of the position.  A good example is if an offensive player makes a tackle after a turnover, he gets 1 point for that.

If you go to your matchup page, you should be able to click on the score for anyone who is so starred, and it'll tell you what the extra points came from.

Ah.  Thank you, that makes perfect sense.  I tried clicking on it on the "My Team" page and it just went back to My Team.  Which wasn't helpful at all. 

I had five of them to look at, so I was wondering what was up.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 05, 2010, 04:17:23 am
I'd like to interject fuck Eli Manning.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 05, 2010, 04:18:09 am
Also, some people don't know (or don't care) that the bye weeks have started.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on October 05, 2010, 07:22:37 pm
I'd like to interject fuck Eli Manning.
Why, the Chargers got rid of him in rare example of foresight.  That should be a crown jewel in the GM's crown. (or head of player personnel - whatever).

Or is that more "grudge fuck"?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 05, 2010, 09:30:51 pm
Haters gonna hate.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 14, 2010, 01:59:02 am
Tangentially related to a discussion of Eli Manning: Shawne Merriman has played his last game as a San Diego Charger.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 14, 2010, 01:52:45 pm
In my other league (also on Yahoo), I lost last week by 8 one-hundredths of a point.  That's .08.  What the fuck is that, half a yard?  I blame Brett Favre.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 14, 2010, 01:55:31 pm
At this point, everything bad in football is Favre's fault. Fuck THAT guy.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 14, 2010, 01:57:20 pm
Seriously.  Does Cort's insult generator have "dong photographer" on it?  It should.  If he hadn't fumbled handing off to Purple Jesus a couple times (I have AP on that team too), he'd have gained two more yards and I'd have won.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: CortJstr on October 14, 2010, 03:02:13 pm
Seriously.  Does Cort's insult generator have "dong photographer" on it?  It should.  If he hadn't fumbled handing off to Purple Jesus a couple times (I have AP on that team too), he'd have gained two more yards and I'd have won.

The insult generator in question: http://i.imgur.com/V6ibh.jpg?ref=nf
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 14, 2010, 03:25:00 pm
Truly, reality television is a "skank forger".
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 14, 2010, 04:06:10 pm
Truly, reality television is a "skank forger".

Those aren't forged skanks, they're real skanks.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: CortJstr on October 14, 2010, 04:14:50 pm
Those aren't forged skanks, they're real skanks.

They've been smelted and forged. Possibly even tempered.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on October 14, 2010, 04:34:43 pm
But rarely sharpened.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 14, 2010, 05:12:56 pm
Certainly endrunkened, though.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on October 14, 2010, 05:16:54 pm
the fuck am i supposed to do with one defensive back on my team on a bye week.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 14, 2010, 05:31:44 pm
the fuck am i supposed to do with one defensive back on my team on a bye week.

Yeah, I hadn't anticipated how byes and individual defensive players would sort of cobble things up. Not a fan of that.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 14, 2010, 06:04:04 pm
the fuck am i supposed to do with one defensive back on my team on a bye week.

It's called "go pick up another one, and waive some deadweight lump."  Doesn't have to be at the same position.  You have Matt Leinart, for instance, jettison that loser.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 14, 2010, 06:19:04 pm
drop-forged full-tang skank
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 14, 2010, 06:37:10 pm
drop-forged full-tang skank

No thanks on the skank tang, if it's all the same to you.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on October 14, 2010, 06:59:11 pm
It's called "go pick up another one, and waive some deadweight lump."  Doesn't have to be at the same position.  You have Matt Leinart, for instance, jettison that loser.

operative clarification emboldened. thanks for the tip.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 14, 2010, 07:50:24 pm
operative clarification emboldened. thanks for the tip.

Didn't realize you didn't know that. Sorry.

Still, I'm not sold on three different individual defensive positions with the small number of bench spots, especially with two actually DEF spots.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 15, 2010, 01:05:54 am
Yeah, I kinda like either team defense or individual players, not both.

Also, I'm going to Colts-Redskins on Sunday night, which puts me in the old "do I root for the home team, or for my fantasy player?" conundrum.  But it's free and I'll probably be drunk as shit, so whatever.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 15, 2010, 02:57:49 am
You are actually attending the game? Root for Peyton to get Pollarded.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on October 17, 2010, 06:52:45 pm
of course matt cassel has a great day when i bench him for roethlisberger's return. of course.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 18, 2010, 12:36:35 am
I'm losing to a guy whose record is 1-4 and is starting a WR on a bye. Granted, that WR plays for Carolina, so he's sort of always on a bye, but still.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on October 18, 2010, 03:49:41 am
roethlisberger had as big a day as drew brees, but matt cassel had even more fantasy points than that. no telling what my other qb is going to do. didn't help that i had 2 (two!) players on MY team that were on THEIR benches. and not my bench.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 18, 2010, 04:27:20 am
My opponent also started at least one guy on IR.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on October 19, 2010, 03:34:53 am
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice my other qb is vince young. of course he got hurt in the first quarter.

go autopilots!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on October 19, 2010, 10:31:10 am
Yeah, the no-room-on-bench-for-defense-players thing kind of sucks, but I made a huge upgrade at LB this week.  On the other hand, though, I dropped Justin Tuck the week before he and every other Giant DL got 3 sacks.

Also upon review of tonight's game, I kind of feel bad about having Chris Johnson and the Tennessee D.  It felt like cheating.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on October 19, 2010, 02:47:00 pm
This may have been my worst week ever for playing fantasy football, and my first league had all its stats compiled longhand on legal pads.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on October 25, 2010, 03:10:39 am
so i guess i have to hope for tony romo to get injured on like the first cowboys possession and justin tuck to get a bunch of penalties, plus ahmad bradshaw with a massive game tomorrow. clever trick there, august, with both defensive lines in the arizona/seattle game.

i *WILL* win at least one more matchup this season. the odds of me only having one win are super-low, aren't they?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 25, 2010, 02:17:15 pm
Why oh why can't I save some points from week to week?  I have delivered unto Paul a major crushing (it helps that he left four players on the bye week in his starting lineup, but I doubt that would have mattered).  I only need about 150 of these 250 points right now, would like to save the extra 100 for later pls.

Also, fuck the Denver Broncos.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on October 25, 2010, 04:07:29 pm
Why oh why can't I save some points from week to week?  I have delivered unto Paul a major crushing (it helps that he left four players on the bye week in his starting lineup, but I doubt that would have mattered).  I only need about 150 of these 250 points right now, would like to save the extra 100 for later pls.

Facing me is like a bye week.  I've decided, as a sociological experiment to see how well my team does without making a single move all season.  I'm observing and learning how to play the game.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on October 25, 2010, 05:12:45 pm
Facing me is like a bye week. 

Great, so I lost to my bye week last week.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on October 25, 2010, 05:28:51 pm
clever trick there, august, with both defensive lines in the arizona/seattle game.


Yabbut your Washington defense scored the same alone as the two of them put together.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 25, 2010, 05:59:20 pm
Yabbut your Washington defense scored the same alone as the two of them put together.

Guess who had DeAngelo Hall and his 4 INTs in the line-up!  Me (I did).

I was also the beneficiary of Darren McFadden's monster day, so I guess I shouldn't be too upset with Denver in that regard.  But I made it through six weeks of the suicide pool only to pick Denver this week, so fuck them.  (I bet a lot of people crashed & burned with the Saints this week, too.)
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on October 25, 2010, 06:57:37 pm
I won a match?

Okay, I'll admit I haven't a clue how this works.  Even after it was explained to me, I still can't figure out how to change my roster and the rules pages are as impenetrable as the bible and possible longer.

Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 25, 2010, 07:54:55 pm
I won a match?

Okay, I'll admit I haven't a clue how this works.  Even after it was explained to me, I still can't figure out how to change my roster and the rules pages are as impenetrable as the bible and possible longer.

Indeed, you are 2-4, soon to be 2-5.

OK, let me try to 'splain this.

On your roster page, you have the active positions (QB, RB, team DEF, etc.) and six bench (BN) positions.  If you are using the drag & drop interface, you drag the little blue box for the bench player and drop it on the box for the guy in the line-up you are replacing.  These must be position for position; that is, you can only place your active QB with another QB.  (The exception is the W/R/T position, which can be a WR, RB, or TE at your option.)  The player you are replacing goes to your bench and is still in your possession.

Reasons for substituting:  starting player is on a bye week, starting player is injured enough to miss a week (but not out for the season), you think the bench player has a better match-up.

Now, what if you need to sub out your QB but don't have a QB to replace him with?  That's where waiver wire pickups come in.  When you're looking at your roster page, up near the top is "Players:  Add."  That'll give you a list of all available players.  You can use the "position" drop-down to filter on the position you're looking for, and the different columns to sort by stats ("Actual rankings" is useful, as are % owned, total fantasy points, and in some cases yards gained, receptions, what have you.  The default ranking is "projected ranking" which is completely useless at this point in the season). 

When you find the guy you want, click the green plus sign to pick him up, but then you will be asked who you want to let go.  This does NOT have to match the position--you can pick up a QB, and drop any player you wish to make room for him.  The player you drop will go back into the pool, and any other team can pick him up.  So before you drop a guy, you'd best be sure you won't want him back later.  Certain guys you are not allowed to cut; they tend to be the big stars (mine are Manning, Peterson, and Antonio Gates) so you don't want to drop them anyway.

All waiver wire claims are subject to the waiver wire pecking order from Monday to Wednesday.  That is, if you try to pick up a guy on Monday or Tuesday, it won't be processed right away.  If more than one team tries to claim the same guy, on Wednesday morning he'll go to whichever team has the better waiver order priority (which is visible in the standings table, but I have no idea how it's determined).  From Wednesday through Sunday, it's open season, and whoever you pick up will go on your roster immediately.

Reasons for picking up a guy off the waiver wire:  starting player is on the bye week and you have no one available on your bench.  Starting player is injured and out for the season.  You have realized the guy you have sucks and is irredeemable, and there has to be someone better out there.  You have heard of some great new player who's come out of nowhere and you want to pick him up.

Does that help?  Other questions?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on October 25, 2010, 08:15:51 pm
Yes, you've answered the big question.  I thought the blue box was the active players and I didn't understand how to change that. 

Edit:  Okay, actually that didn't work for me.  The only place it's allowing me to drag any player is into the "empty" spot and then it will only allow me to drag that player back to it's original spot.  I'm doing something wrong obviously, but I have to go right now.  I'll look at this when I get back home tonight.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on October 25, 2010, 08:57:27 pm
If Eli Manning and Brandon Jacobs can team up for more points than Lister's TE, I might win tonight.  We're neck and neck in points at the moment - no thanks to Donovan McNabb's choke performance.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on October 26, 2010, 12:54:56 am
I think you're pretty safe, Jay.  Witten's best would be about a 10-12 point day, and between Manning and Jacobs you've easily got that covered as long as they are not actually dead*.

I just hope I lose by more than the 5 points I would've had if I'd noticed that Malcom Floyd was out this week.

*this can happen!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on October 26, 2010, 12:57:34 am
And, checking on this after posting, I see that you're now ahead of me despite Manning's -2 points.

I might go watch this game just for the novelty of not being at work during it.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on October 26, 2010, 02:40:59 am
Hooray!  Tony Romo's collarbone is broken!  My season is over!

Hoo fuck*ng ray!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on October 26, 2010, 03:04:41 am
oh god i'm sorry august i didn't mean it i didn't know that would happen
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on October 26, 2010, 03:47:05 am
What's the big idea puttin' the hex on my QB?  You some kinda ju-ju man?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 26, 2010, 01:08:40 pm
Edit:  Okay, actually that didn't work for me.  The only place it's allowing me to drag any player is into the "empty" spot and then it will only allow me to drag that player back to it's original spot.  I'm doing something wrong obviously, but I have to go right now.  I'll look at this when I get back home tonight.

If you are having trouble with the drag & drop interface, try the "classic" interface (there's radio buttons at the bottom of your roster for that).  That will give each player a drop-down menu showing which positions he's eligible for.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on October 26, 2010, 02:50:56 pm
if i hexed him it'd be the first and only time it ever worked, and i didn't really want it to work THAT well :x
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on October 26, 2010, 04:37:50 pm
I think you're pretty safe, Jay.  Witten's best would be about a 10-12 point day, and between Manning and Jacobs you've easily got that covered as long as they are not actually dead*.
Eli has previously contributed negative points to my total, and Jacobs is splitting time with Bradshaw, so in my view this was far from a done deal.  Combine that with the opening quarter to this game and I was watching my chances slip away.  In a catch up game the RB gets few touches, and the QB takes sack after sack and throws high risk balls.  Witten on the other hand is money in the bank.  Had he not fumbled he would have been close to 18 points, and that was with Kitna throwing to him for most of the game.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2010, 07:28:25 pm
Which one of you poor fuckers has Randy Moss? Who do you want to see hire him?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on November 01, 2010, 07:32:23 pm
Randy Moss serves primarily as a way to get lesser receivers the ball - assuming he's in an offense that can actually get the ball to receivers.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2010, 07:33:47 pm
Well, right now he primarily serves french fries or some shit.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on November 01, 2010, 07:47:05 pm
randy moss's owner? yep, that would be me. (._. )

so, not like it matters, or anything. it isn't like he's on the do-not-drop list. huh? oh, he is? oh, okay then.


dude's been underperforming the whole season, regardless of team. yesterday projected 8.05 pts, reached 0.92. my qbs teamed up for 6.03 pts yesterday. team defenses? 10 pts combined. maybe the odds aren't against me finishing the season with a single win, i dunno. to win this week i need kevin walter to get over 62.8 points on his own. maybe next year i'll have a better chance.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on November 01, 2010, 09:34:42 pm
Oh holy crap.  Serves me right for not reading the news this morning.  Maybe the Raiders will pick him up.

(jaydub dies laughing)
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2010, 03:00:48 am
It was looking like I might just pull it off, and then Squab threw a TD. Oh well. Maybe the Colts will go with the popular "only field goals from here on out" option.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on November 02, 2010, 03:59:54 am
It was looking like I might just pull it off, and then Squab threw a TD. Oh well. Maybe the Colts will go with the popular "only field goals from here on out" option.

I hadn't seen Monday Night Football since it moved to cable.  Those announcers were hella annoying.  I'm not exactly a  big Texans fan, but I really didn't want to listen to them stroking Manning's cock for 3 hours.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2010, 04:03:24 am
I call THESE GUYS the the bungees, because they make me want to jump off a bridge.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on November 02, 2010, 05:49:43 pm
to win this week i need kevin walter to get over 62.8 points on his own.
/me cuts
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2010, 06:03:02 pm
Actually, I did. I noticed yesterday that Squab's pick damn near won it for me. Then I was worried when he threw his TD, and then Arian Foster (nice name) did come roaring back. Viniateri helped, too, but I wasn't expecting that what with Big Baby Head and all.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on November 02, 2010, 11:13:46 pm
Squab (boyo, I like that) turned the ball over and took enough sacks to net me less than three points.
I can't think of him with any other name now.  I was watching the thing on tape delay last night while reading Touamb and read Paul's comment about stroking Manning's cock right as Gruden started lionizing him.  It was one of those moments where I wanted to explain to my wife what I was laughing about - but the telling would require so much backstory that the funny wouldn't translate.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: miles on November 03, 2010, 04:00:48 am
Personally, I wouldn't mind more game sound and less booth chatter but I predict they better have some dude with a finger hovering over the cut button unless America is ready for some guy telling another dude he's gonna pluck his ears off and wipe his girlfriends pussy with them after the game.

I mean, just for an example.

Oh, totally. I was thinking about this a couple weeks ago. I frequently want to mute the sound because those fucks can be so irritating but I still want to hear the game. They should have like a separate channel for people who don't give a fuck what two or three schmoes have to say but still want to hear the crowd, coaches and players, and who don't mind, or in my case would totally love, some colorful language. I guess they couldn't get away with it on the major networks, but the cable and satellite companies could offer a package or something.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 07, 2010, 11:30:18 pm
Pats lose to Browns. You suppose that bugs Belichick more because he used to coach there?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on November 08, 2010, 04:01:02 am
is this points lead of mine a trick or something. let's be realistic here.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 08, 2010, 04:06:12 am
I've got a pretty snappy lead as well.

Seriously, though - how fuck*ng terrible is Dallas? I'm shocked.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on November 08, 2010, 04:26:31 am
well remember romo is out with his collarbone (again, not my fault, i swear)
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on November 08, 2010, 04:27:04 am
I think it's possible for me to come back against the Autopilots, but depending on a WR, RB, and LB to beat a QB and a K by like 20 points is kind of a losing proposition.

And yeah, Dallas is exactly this bad.  What scares me is the similarities to the Chargers.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 08, 2010, 04:34:47 am
I think it's possible for me to come back against the Autopilots, but depending on a WR, RB, and LB to beat a QB and a K by like 20 points is kind of a losing proposition.

And yeah, Dallas is exactly this bad.  What scares me is the similarities to the Chargers.

Oh no you di'int.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on November 08, 2010, 04:35:58 am
yeah but remember lister, it's my autopilots you're up against. last week that qb and k combined for 5 points, your wr rb and lb combined for over 40. see? my points lead is a trick to give me undeserved confidence.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on November 08, 2010, 04:39:24 am
I've got a pretty snappy lead as well.

Seriously, though - how fuck*ng terrible is Dallas? I'm shocked.
Thank God for Peyton Hillis.

Also, WTF, the Raiders are sorta kinda in contention?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on November 08, 2010, 04:42:37 am
I am expecting the worst in every case right now.  Even though I just looked up flights to Tempe.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 08, 2010, 04:43:11 am
Thank God for Peyton Hillis.

Also, WTF, the Raiders are sorta kinda in contention?

After all the talking heads shitting on the AFC West, it would be funny if it was a dogfight to the very end.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 08, 2010, 07:36:24 pm
This is why things are going so swimmingly for the Bolts:

Quote from: Peter King, that idiot
In his first eight years as Charger special-teams coach, Steve Crosby had one long snapper for the 128 games he coached: David Binn. In the first six games of this year, Crosby had five. Detailing them:
Week 1 -- David Binn. Placed on IR after one game (hamstring).
Week 1 -- James Dearth Placed on IR after two days in camp (broken foot).
Weeks 2-3 -- Ryan Neill. Placed on IR after two games (knee).
Weeks 4-5 -- Ethan Albright. Released. "He was 40 years old,'' said Crosby; 39, actually.
Weeks 6-9 -- Mike Windt Active for four games.
I asked Crosby how Dearth got hurt. "Damned if I know,'' he said. "He was at practice, his foot hurt, he got it examined, and it was broken.''
The Chargers, 4-5, have allowed touchdowns on punt and kickoff returns, have had a kicker injured slipping on artificial turf indoors, have had four punts blocked and a fifth (Sunday at Houston) deflected, and, arguably, have lost four games this year directly attributable to special-teams gaffes.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on November 08, 2010, 07:55:57 pm
Quote from: Peter King, that idiot
Week 1 -- David Binn. Placed on IR after one game (hamstring).
IR for a hamstring?  What, did a marauding Visigoth slash it with an axe?  Admittedly for a guy who needs to fire the ball 8 yards back between his legs and straighten up in an instant to block, healthy hamstrings are vital.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 08, 2010, 08:03:37 pm
All I really know about David Binn is that he played in the Super Bowl for the Chargers (remember that?) so he's been on the team for-fuck*ng-ever. His hamstring probably just got old. He also dated Pam Anderson, so maybe that contributed.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on November 09, 2010, 02:56:47 am
fuckin nailbiter ain't it lister
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 09, 2010, 04:37:42 am
Man my team got sideways this week.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on November 09, 2010, 04:48:00 am
i don't even know your team's name. and of course, my 20pt lead was completely washed away. no second victory for me.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on November 09, 2010, 06:36:41 am
fuckin nailbiter ain't it lister

I just got home from work.  Tough beat, man.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 09, 2010, 02:42:41 pm
My team is, as always, the Venomous Monkeys.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 09, 2010, 03:04:33 pm
Well, my team is going well.  This has come to be my "real" team, and the other league I'm in my "afterthought" team.  That team had two players go to "doubtful" and not play, and I didn't bother to log in and check Sunday morning.  So of course I lost by 15 points.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 09, 2010, 03:09:17 pm
I'm doing better in this league than my other one. In my other one, I keep putting TO on the bench when he decides to play, even though I felt so smart for snapping him up when nobody wanted him. He's only the #3 WR in history, riding the pine.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on November 09, 2010, 04:17:38 pm
I was recently had a conversation about The Texans (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5093173321/).  I said "hey, remember a couple of weeks ago when everybody thought the Texans were really good?"  Sheepishly "yeah, I sorta remember that."
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 09, 2010, 09:13:30 pm
Texans are ok. They still have the RB of the year. It's just that SD is finally getting up on step.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on November 09, 2010, 11:38:07 pm
Man my team got sideways this week.
? sideways sounds bad, but you got like the 3rd higest points you've had all season. sideways = good now?

I'm doing better in this league than my other one.
fuck i hope so, seven-and-two.


what kills me is that i'm in 8th place in both pts for and pts against, but 10th in win/loss. four of my games have been relatively close, four have been blowouts, and the only one i won is against whoever's "buck naked." who is that?

just so i'm set on everything, this is the last week for trades, and then we have seven more weeks of just bench-juggling?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2010, 12:04:37 am
I should have clarified that we got sideways on someone else, as opposed to the other way around.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2010, 04:47:07 am
As a bonus, I had quite forgotten about this great penalty call (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xag52o_ben-dreith-best-referee-announcemen_sport).

Also, I know I've shared this here, but it's always good to remember that Jim Rome is a douche (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8).
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2010, 05:04:07 am
Jim Rome defines smarm.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 10, 2010, 05:45:41 am
Phil Hendrie's Jim Rome impression was fuck*ng amazing.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2010, 02:54:07 pm
Phil Hendrie's Jim Rome impression was fuck*ng amazing.

Is this available for the home viewer that you know of? I would like to partake in this.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on November 10, 2010, 11:30:33 pm
Well that (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-merriman) didn't last long.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 11, 2010, 02:45:06 am
Get that man some HGH, stat.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on November 14, 2010, 07:09:24 pm
I give Merriman 5 years post-retirement to be taken for all of his savings by some dubious "investment."

What I'm saying is I don't think the man is very bright.  I base this on his "I won't get ACL surgery" decision, his "I will take banned substances" decision, and his "I will let Tila Tequila in my house" decision.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 15, 2010, 02:52:47 am
I read recently that 75% of all NFL players are broke or have serious financial difficulties within three years of retirement.

Basically Merriman would do good if he lasts five years.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 15, 2010, 02:55:52 pm
I thought I was in good shape going into Sunday night, then I realized my opponent still had Tom Brady going.  And Mr. Brady proceeded to go OFF with four TDs.  Peyton Manning, on the other hand, pretty well did nothing.  So it goes.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on November 15, 2010, 03:09:22 pm
now i know what it must feel like to be the detroit lions
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on November 15, 2010, 06:32:25 pm
I thought I was being attentive by picking up Pennington since Henne got benched and he was my bye week fill in for Brees.

Then Pennington got hurt after two throws and 19 yards.

Henne filled back in and had a nice game.

Then Henne got hurt too.  Tyler Thigpen finished the game.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on November 15, 2010, 08:07:31 pm
After this week there will be no Flippers at my QB slot, I tell you what.

Insert "hanging Chad" joke here...
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 15, 2010, 09:30:30 pm
I thought I was being attentive by picking up Pennington since Henne got benched and he was my bye week fill in for Brees.

Then Pennington got hurt after two throws and 19 yards.

Henne filled back in and had a nice game.

I did that with the Lions (King vs. Stanton), so you can see how much I know. The bad thing is that I won some games going to King this year.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on November 16, 2010, 12:07:04 am
Why is Yahoo telling me to drop my PK?  As far as I can tell, he's doing fine; apparently some couple-thousand fantasy teams dropped him today.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 16, 2010, 12:22:43 am
Why is Yahoo telling me to drop my PK?  As far as I can tell, he's doing fine; apparently some couple-thousand fantasy teams dropped him today.

Is it that poor fucker who missed three last night? They're probably anticipating him getting the hook.

Edit: One reason why things are tight for me this week

Quote from: Yahoo
Cribbs, who dislocated all of the toes on his right foot except for his big toe Sunday, might be ready for Week 11's game in Jacksonville, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on November 16, 2010, 01:17:07 am
I didn't have the stomach to sit through my DVR recording of Dallas whipping the Giants, but the box score shows him making both of the attempts he was put on the field for.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 16, 2010, 08:59:38 am
I didn't have the stomach to sit through my DVR recording of Dallas whipping the Giants, but the box score shows him making both of the attempts he was put on the field for.

Nah, I thought you were talking about Nick Folk for the Jets. (Or, as my lovely and genteel wife has taken to calling him, Dick Fuck.)
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 16, 2010, 04:06:46 pm
Ye gods, 58 FP for that Vick character.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on November 16, 2010, 09:39:18 pm
Nick Folk was money for me last year.  Dallas couldn't finish drives, so he was kicking field goals left and right.  Now I guess its wide left and wide right.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 17, 2010, 05:09:16 pm
I wish I had the Bears defense this week. The sky is the limit against Tyler Thigpen.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 22, 2010, 01:09:51 am
Surprise, surprise. My opponent did indeed have the Bears defense, and as such enjoys a move into first place. Congrats, Lister.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on November 22, 2010, 03:35:09 am
Today's bad decision: Starting the Rams' Defense and resting the Bucs'
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on November 22, 2010, 05:14:53 am
welp, this was my best week ever. from last to tied for last. at least i broke my streak of six losses.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on November 22, 2010, 03:19:30 pm
none for myself nor for paul, our matchup is done
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 22, 2010, 03:59:54 pm
I don't have anyone either.

In my family league I'm going up against my middle brother (in first place). I'm up by 37 and he has Denver's kicker. Ha ha (/Nelson).
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 22, 2010, 04:19:45 pm
And, for your moment of NFL history, there's this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM).
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on November 22, 2010, 06:01:43 pm
And, for your moment of NFL history, there's this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM).

That reminds me.  I need to get a flu shot.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on November 23, 2010, 12:12:04 am
Man knows how to throw a punch. Wonder what Rapey said to him.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 23, 2010, 12:36:56 am
And, for your moment of NFL history, there's this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM).

He had a nice chat with Allen Iverson. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Tn0L0t4rQ)
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on November 27, 2010, 02:08:45 am
Damnit, I was supposed to start Deion Branch in place of Percy Harvin and got distracted by Thanksgiving.  Hope Harvin scores more than 24. 
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 28, 2010, 12:59:43 am
Hey, I'm shocked that Merriman is on IR and out for the season.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 28, 2010, 01:01:19 am
Also, so you say McDaniels used to work for Belichick (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Broncos-McDaniels-fined-100K-total-for-illegal?urn=nfl-289649)?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 28, 2010, 09:55:52 pm
I hate the freakin' "Questionable" injury status.  Antonio Gates is gonna cost me another one.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 29, 2010, 04:32:08 am
Manninglicious. That guy can't play us for some reason.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on November 29, 2010, 07:41:17 pm
Agk, I hate game-day decisions on players who play on Sunday night.  Got nothing from Malcom Floyd and didn't find out he was out until it was too late to sub for him.

It was a brief, but sweet run at the top of the league.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on November 29, 2010, 07:54:30 pm
I hate the freakin' "Questionable" injury status.  Antonio Gates is gonna cost me another one.

Right.  Antonio Gates.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on November 29, 2010, 08:08:16 pm
Manninglicious. That guy can't play us for some reason.
That was the opposite of the Monday night game a few weeks back (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,5738.msg162811.html#msg162811).  You'd think the strategy the Chargers defense was using (hit the quarterback on every play) would be a "no-duh", but I'm pretty sure everyone tries that.  Why did the Chargers succeed where others fail?  Towards the end of the game, Manning was looking like a deer in the headlights - flinching and throwing wildly.  Amazing.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 29, 2010, 09:14:55 pm
I liked the little bit they were showing with Peyton flinching before the hammer comes down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm17QlAt3Vk).
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on November 30, 2010, 05:15:14 am
I'll not tempt the Fates by gloating overmuch, but there was no way I was thinking I'd escape with a win holding a 10 point lead with Patrick Willis and Larry Fitzgerald up.  Gotta love the Niners' running game.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 30, 2010, 02:08:42 pm
Right.  Antonio Gates.

Yeah, at 250-108 I can't exactly pin this one on one guy, can I.  Hellooooooooo .500!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on November 30, 2010, 02:50:21 pm
Careful with Vince Jackson there, Mayor - I think he got hurt in practice.

In my other league, I have Frank Gore, and it says he's undroppable, with a broken hip. Hopefully that will change.

Also, I appear to be beginning a late-season swoon.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on November 30, 2010, 02:59:50 pm
who's "Buck Naked" again? looks like i might have a third win this season if he leaves stafford and two IR players on his roster.

maybe i shouldn't say anything.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 30, 2010, 04:19:20 pm
I believe Vincent Jackson got hurt during the first series.  So technically, he did play, but put up a nice big goose egg.  Yay!

Yeah, it sometimes takes them a day or two to change "can't cut" status on a guy with a season-ending injury, but they'll get to it.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on November 30, 2010, 05:34:41 pm
Buck's team has been a zombie for a few weeks.  I padded my wins in wk11 against a roster with 3 inactives.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on November 30, 2010, 09:13:56 pm

In my other league, I have Frank Gore, and it says he's undroppable, with a broken hip. Hopefully that will change.


Yeah, tell me about it.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on December 01, 2010, 05:58:03 pm

In my other league, I have Frank Gore, and it says he's undroppable, with a broken hip. Hopefully that will change.


He's on IR now.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 01, 2010, 06:03:50 pm
Yep, and also on the scrap heap.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on December 01, 2010, 06:15:27 pm
Yep, and also on the scrap heap.

Yeah, I just went ahead swapped him for Westbrook.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 01, 2010, 06:18:59 pm
I got Tolbert for him. I'm such a homer.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on December 01, 2010, 06:31:23 pm
I got Tolbert for him. I'm such a homer.
So'm I.  That's why I've got Justin Smith for DL.  Tolbert makes sense though.  Chargers have a good running game and use it quite a bit.  If they can get ahead in the score they'll grind the game down with runs.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 01, 2010, 06:37:26 pm
Did we cover A. Johnson's beat down of Finnegan? That's been a subject of much derision around the water cooler here. How many folks in the NFL do you think would pay $25k and no suspension to punch ol' Cort multiple times?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on December 01, 2010, 07:02:40 pm
I got Tolbert for him. I'm such a homer.

I already had Tolbert.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 01, 2010, 07:39:04 pm
Also used to be the long ball guys (WRs and DBs both) were pretty much the only players who talked real obvious shit, and then only if they were good. Finnegan isn't that great (yeah, yeah, pro-bowler, but not really) and it looks to me like he got his mouth shut for him.

However, I think the league made a mistake not suspending them both. I'm not convinced the NFL handles this kind of stuff (violence between players) very well. They don't really have the institutionalized, unwritten rules that the NHL has.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 01, 2010, 10:10:30 pm
Did we cover A. Johnson's beat down of Finnegan? That's been a subject of much derision around the water cooler here. How many folks in the NFL do you think would pay $25k and no suspension to punch ol' Cort multiple times?

From a Houston sports columnist:
Quote
"Text from NFL player: If Dre passed a hat around the league, he could pay his fine and have money left over for a new car."
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 02, 2010, 03:08:46 am
I wonder what will happen next time Finnegan decides to step to one of these WRs that has 5" and 40 lbs on him.

"$25k? Don't mind if I do!"
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on December 03, 2010, 01:33:35 am
Damn, picked up Quintin Mikell just for today's game, but Yahoo already froze him to the bench.  I had at least 5mins to kickoff!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on December 05, 2010, 09:34:45 pm
Bad day to start Eli and bench Brandon Jacobs :/
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on December 05, 2010, 10:02:47 pm
fuck me in the eye, i'm barely beating the zombie with five zero-point players
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2010, 12:21:40 am
I don't remember which league it was, but I got beat by a zombie player this year too. I manage to do it once a year.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on December 06, 2010, 01:57:59 am
GODDAMNIT. GOD DAMN IT.

edit: /me shoots his tv

my qb gets sacked twice and int'd once in the first half. my zombie matchup opponent has the defense that's done this. HE HAS FIVE PLAYERS THAT DIDN'T PLAY. and he's now got 21 points on me, with another half to go. how many points can benjarvusgreenellis score tomorrow? like eighty?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2010, 04:18:04 am
I was playing against a zombie, too, and as a bonus it had Favre.

Who is Terror Mosque, anyway?

Edit: The Terror Mosque was Paul.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on December 06, 2010, 04:30:09 am
i don't know what happened here but i'm back in the lead for now
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on December 06, 2010, 04:57:08 am
My two QB's combined for -5 points this week.  Thanks guys!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on December 06, 2010, 05:49:28 am
i don't know what happened here but i'm back in the lead for now
let's just say my 7 game win streak is looking shaky, unless Sanchez thows 5 TDs to the tight end and LT gets lost on the way to the stadium.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2010, 06:23:18 am
I'm sorry I'm a zombie.  I never could figure out how to maneuver players and kinda got frustrated and gave up.  I promise I'll do something this week.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2010, 12:46:41 am
Broncos paying three head coaches simultaneously (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-mcdanielsfired).
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on December 07, 2010, 01:17:12 am
Shanahan, McDaniels, and the new guy?  How long are they going to be paying Shanahan for?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2010, 02:58:32 am
Shanahan, McDaniels, and the new guy?  How long are they going to be paying Shanahan for?

Maybe longer than the Redskins end up paying him!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 07, 2010, 03:01:24 pm
Two weeks to go in the regular season.  No playoff spots locked up yet.  Buck Naked, Atlanta Autopilots, and Terror Mosque are all out of playoff contention.  Seven teams battling for four spots.

The Lab Rats, Venemous Monkeys, and the Habeneros are all in good shape at 9-4.  They can all clinch playoff spots with a win. 
A Dude's Stew is holding down the #4 spot at 8-5, and control their own destiny.  Win out and they're in.
Banana Town, Space Fuzz, and Teen Girl Squad are all on the outside at 7-6.  They need to win and get help.

Banana Town vs. Lab Rats and Space Fuzz vs. Habeneros are therefore big matchups this week.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2010, 03:02:45 pm
I'm not going to go back and check the numbers. I know Weis sucked at Notre Dame, and Mangini's been uneven, but McDaniels started ok. Of course, Belichick Started shitty at Cleveland and didn't do great for the Jets. One problem is that all coaches at any level (ie coordinators) seem to think they can be head coaches, either at prestigious FB schools or in the NFL, and that may not be the case.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2010, 09:52:10 pm
Quote from: New York Jets NT Sione Pouha, about the beatdown at the hands of NE
This humble pie tastes like a car tire and it goes down like peanut butter, that’s how it feels. Sunday can’t come soon enough.

Sione Pouha (http://www.nfl.com/players/sionepouha/profile?id=POU433355) majored in behavior science at Utah. I would have thought such an expressive phrase (although a somewhat scarmbled mataphor) would have come from an English major. Fun facts: He did his LDS mission in Pittsburgh, and created a beverage marketed (online and in California) as a "relaxation drink"
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on December 13, 2010, 01:15:27 am
Sione Pouha (http://www.nfl.com/players/sionepouha/profile?id=POU433355) majored in behavior science at Utah. I would have thought such an expressive phrase (although a somewhat scarmbled mataphor) would have come from an English major. Fun facts: He did his LDS mission in Pittsburgh, and created a beverage marketed (online and in California) as a "relaxation drink"
It didn't get much better for Sione and crew today.  Sanchez earned me -9.3 points.  I guess the questions about his effectiveness are going to get some new legs.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on December 13, 2010, 06:15:59 am
God damn it, Rogers, if you're going to be a hero and not slide, at least do it in the fourth quarter.

Also: Holy crap, the metrodome roof (http://imgnook.com/mcxo.gif). (Warning - 7 Mb .gif)

Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on December 13, 2010, 03:36:35 pm
So, does that make it easier for them to get the new stadium they've been wanting?

[or send them out here to LA if not?]

lol rite
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 13, 2010, 03:48:17 pm
OK, so long as the SIX guys I have going tonight don't collectively put up negative points, I'll have a W and still be in this thing.

Normally I would post something elaborating on what fantasy matchups hinge on the Monday night game, but with TWO games tonight, there's too much.  So we'll review tomorrow after the dust settles.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on December 14, 2010, 05:20:12 am
i know i'm completely out of the running, but i was really surprised at how close our matchup was this week nabu. stupid matt cassell getting hurt means i trade for a kyoobee who posts negative 7. thanks, matt
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on December 14, 2010, 05:48:23 am
Squab!

After that 4th Q comeback, that was one hell of an egg to lay.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 14, 2010, 02:49:42 pm
Your TOUAMB league review going into the final week of the season:

The Venomous Monkeys and Habaneros won this week to secure playoff spots.  Jockeying for seeding still remains.

The Lab Rats lost, A Dude's Stew won, they're both 9-5.  They can each clinch a berth with a win (or losses by both 8-6 teams, see below).

Banana Town and Teen Girl Squad both won to get to 8-6.  They need to win this week, have either or both of the 9-5 teams lose, and then prevail on total points.  TGS is about 400 points back of all three of the other teams, though, so they may be SOL regardless.

Space Fuzz lost to drop to 7-7, and they are mathematically eliminorted. Sorry, Egg Man.

Key games this week, then:
Banana Town vs. Habaneros, who hopefully will rest their starters like the Colts do.
Lab Rats vs. TGS
A Dude's Stew vs. Autopilots, which should be a win for the Stew, but stranger things have happened.

Good luck, all.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on December 14, 2010, 03:24:35 pm
ouch, mayor
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 14, 2010, 04:27:11 pm
ouch, mayor

Don't get me wrong, I'll be rooting for you more than anybody, but you are 3-11.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on December 14, 2010, 04:30:50 pm
you want to help then give me a good qb
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on December 14, 2010, 08:15:15 pm
Trades are over as of 2 weeks ago.  Watch the waiver wire for drops and see if you can find some good matchups for whatever's available week to week.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 16, 2010, 12:40:57 pm
Sans Diego and Francisco play today at Qualcomm. The Chargers are 7-6, and the '9ers are 5-8. The teams are one game out of first place in their respective divisions.

That . . . is not good.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on December 16, 2010, 03:54:43 pm
Turner looks like the poster boy for death by hypertensive crisis.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 16, 2010, 03:56:21 pm
Round our house we call him Craggle Rock.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 17, 2010, 01:28:22 am
Sans Diego and Francisco play today at Qualcomm. The Chargers are 7-6, and the '9ers are 5-8. The teams are one game out of first place in their respective divisions.

That . . . is not good.

Love Rich Eisen trying (not very hard) to sell it that this game is worth watching to anyone other than die-hard fans. Dude, when a 5-8 team is one game out of first, that's fuck*ng awful, and you shouldn't be showing the game. This kinda shit almost makes me feel like they should adopt the seeding thing. NFC West shouldn't send a team to the playoffs this year. Sorry, fuckers - you suck!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on December 17, 2010, 05:28:13 am
and turn the nfl into the bcs?

how about different divisions all equal size realigned every year with names like division eight or eisenhower division
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 17, 2010, 01:54:19 pm
fuck*ng Vincent Jackson.  Worthless for two weeks, so I put you on the bench, and THEN you catch three touchdowns.

Oh, and Antonio Gates didn't play.  I am so screwed.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 17, 2010, 04:29:32 pm
and turn the nfl into the bcs?

how about different divisions all equal size realigned every year with names like division eight or eisenhower division

No, the NFL is sort of like the BCS now - all AQ divisions, and the playoffs have to take a team from each one, no matter how bad they actually are.

ACC & Big East? Sure you get a bowl game! You all suck? No problem. = NFC West? Sure you send a team to the playoffs!

They ought to have lower leagues. I'll admit my ignorance of it, but my understanding is that in the UK, or perhaps all of Europe, if your team sucks they don't get to play with the big boys anymore. That would increase the sting a bit. Of course, heads would roll way more often than they do know, and of course the owners would never go for it. But that would be glorious. You win 2 games or less? You are non-competitive. Go to the 'B' league.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: CortJstr on December 17, 2010, 04:43:36 pm
No, the NFL is sort of like the BCS now - all AQ divisions, and the playoffs have to take a team from each one, no matter how bad they actually are.

ACC & Big East? Sure you get a bowl game! You all suck? No problem. = NFC West? Sure you send a team to the playoffs!

They ought to have lower leagues. I'll admit my ignorance of it, but my understanding is that in the UK, or perhaps all of Europe, if your team sucks they don't get to play with the big boys anymore. That would increase the sting a bit. Of course, heads would roll way more often than they do know, and of course the owners would never go for it. But that would be glorious. You win 2 games or less? You are non-competitive. Go to the 'B' league.

I believe you mean relegation. It could work in MLB. The bottom two MLB teams would be demoted to AAA at the end of the season, while the top two AAA teams would be promoted to the majors. The same would happen between AAA and AA and so on.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 17, 2010, 04:57:30 pm
I believe you mean relegation. It could work in MLB. The bottom two MLB teams would be demoted to AAA at the end of the season, while the top two AAA teams would be promoted to the majors. The same would happen between AAA and AA and so on.

They would just have to blow up the whole minor league affiliation to big-league teams thing first, and make every team in the country an independent entity.  No problem!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 17, 2010, 05:01:27 pm
I believe you mean relegation. It could work in MLB. The bottom two MLB teams would be demoted to AAA at the end of the season, while the top two AAA teams would be promoted to the majors. The same would happen between AAA and AA and so on.

Yeah, that's it. They should take the Panthers and make them an Arena League team.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 17, 2010, 05:10:19 pm
So the Chargers were without Gates, Crayton, and Floyd yesterday. Three of their top four receivers. They kept talking about how Rivers has thrown to 17 different receivers this year, and I'm thinking yeah, little dinks and dunks, some guys who who targeted twice, whatever. But 11 of them are in double-digits for receptions, and 10 of them have scored. In contrast: New England - 12 players, 6 double-digits, 6 scored. Atlanta - 13 players, 8 double-digits, 9 scored. If the Pats had a game and Welker, Branch and Gronkowski were out, would they be worried?

I guess the whole thing is skewed because their leader from last year just came back, and maybe I'm talking myself into something, but they did look pretty good yesterday.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 17, 2010, 05:47:08 pm
Recently they keep talking about what a good head coach/attractive head coaching candidate Ron Rivera is.

Guess what, fuckheads? The only reason the Chargers do so well is that Norv is a good off. coordinator and Rivera is a good def. coordinator. They should have both those guys, and then have an actual head coach. Why is it so hard for people to understand that just because someone is a good coordinator does not necessarily make them a good head coach? Cam Cameron, anyone? Turner? Wade? McDaniels? There is no end to this list. Weis? If Rivera leaves this year and is a bust at head coach I am going to be pissed.

Not everyone can do every job.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 17, 2010, 05:48:01 pm
On a happier note, McNabb has been benched for Grossman. Ha ha, enjoy your firing, Shanny!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 17, 2010, 07:45:44 pm
Playoff Machine (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine)!

Not related to George Michael's Sports Machine. Well, related, I guess. Have fun! Although they keep saying the Bolts have a good chance, they sure didn't seem to be in it with many of the scenarios I plugged in.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: CortJstr on December 17, 2010, 08:11:39 pm
They would just have to blow up the whole minor league affiliation to big-league teams thing first, and make every team in the country an independent entity.  No problem!

They're not now?

Playoff Machine (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine)!

Not related to George Michael's Sports Machine. Well, related, I guess. Have fun! Although they keep saying the Bolts have a good chance, they sure didn't seem to be in it with many of the scenarios I plugged in.

Wait, so people outside of DC have heard of George Michael's Sports Machine? Man, that show was popular considering it aired at like 12:30am Monday morning or something.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on December 17, 2010, 09:16:42 pm
It was syndicated, I think.  I used to watch it.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on December 18, 2010, 12:49:11 am
I sure remember the Sports Machine.  I also remember the disappointment when I realized that it was all a prop and he only pushed one button.

Also relevant: SNL's skit - the George F. Will Sports Machine.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: CortJstr on December 18, 2010, 12:58:36 am
Huh. I always though George Michael was just a local sports dude with a 2nd TV show other than the news. Like Gordon Peterson with Inside Washington but with sports instead of congress.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on December 18, 2010, 12:59:52 am
I thought he was the lead singer to Wham!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 18, 2010, 01:00:24 am
I loved the damn Sports Machine.

It was, like, 11:30PM Sundays on the Utica NBC.

It was made obsolete by Sportscentre in the same way that Weekend Update has been made unnecessary by The Daily Show (seriously, SNL, let it go) but...

In its time, I loved the fuckin' Sports Machine.

I distinctly remember them making a video called "The Mookie Mash" to the tune of "The Monster Mash" when Mookie Wilson went on a brief home run tear upon being traded to the Jays.

And you can't get much more up my alley than a parody of a novelty song about Mookie Wilson.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 18, 2010, 01:56:14 am
I watched it every week up in Alaska. Of course, we didn't have cable and there wasn't an internet, must have been the mid-80s or so . . . basically George Michael was the only place to get what he provided.

Quote from: Wiki
Two movies, 8 Seconds and The Rookie, were inspired by stories featured on The Sports Machine. Michael made a cameo appearance in the former, as well as in The Silence of the Lambs and Tin Cup. The Sports Machine was also featured in There's Something About Mary.

I may not be paying close enough attention in general. I did not realize he was in Silence of the Lambs. Did everyone else know all of these things?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 19, 2010, 01:41:28 pm
They're not now?

Well, they're typically independent as business entities, but the big league club supplies the players.  The Nats will call players up from their triple-A affiliate at Syracuse throughout the season as players on the big league club get hurt or play shitty or whatever.  Occasionally from the double-A team in Harrisburg if someone's ready for a big jump.  Then you have high-A Potomac, low-A Hagerstown, the short-season NY-Penn league team, and the rookie league team in Florida.  It's like a big ladder that young guys have to work their way up after being drafted.

So if you blew up the affiliation system, and every single minor league team in the country was on their own in terms of acquiring players... that would be a freakin' mess.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 19, 2010, 08:13:23 pm
The New York - Penn League is where my internet name comes from, in fact.

There are a few independent minor leagues, actually, but it is much harder to actually work your way into the majors through them.

Even if you get plucked out of the independent leagues, it usually just puts you into the higher affiliated minors to work your way through that again.

The progression through the affiliated minors (Rookie leagues - shortseason A - fullseason A - AA - AAA - majors) is generally the way to go.

In the low minors, even into the Eighties there were very rarely teams that are independent for one year or two while they were looking for affiliation if they were profitable enough to survive without an affiliation for a time but even then, they generally field teams of players contracted into major league systems that were just loaned to them for the season. It is almost unheard of these days, though.

Also, these days it is common for the major league team to own one or two of its minor league teams outright, generally a low-minors team that is geographically close to the parent club, for the purposes of cross-promotion and for ease of using the minor league teams for rehabilitation assignments for returning major leaguers from injury.

If your major league star needs to play in four or five games to get back into playing shape, why not own the single-A team an hour away from your city and keep the profits from the increased attendance to see the major league player in the minor league park, you know? Why not keep the profits from locals who don't wanna pay major league prices  but wanna see pro baseball?

The Mets do this by owning their Brooklyn shortseason-A team, the Yankees do this with their Staten Island team, I think that the Red Sox own their Lowell, Mass team... I think that the Angels might own their Rancho Cucamonga team... and so on like that.

It is a little bit cynical but it maximizes the profits  associated to owning a functional monopoly on high-level professional baseball.

I personally believe they're slitting their own throats because part of what developed baseball fans in smaller markets was minor league baseball in more rural markets but... I'm just Cassandra on this topic.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on December 21, 2010, 04:54:06 am
Baseball would NEVER sacrifice long-term health for short-term profit.  That's just crazy talk.  It'd be like starting World Series games at 9 PM, having 5-day stretches with no games during the playoffs, or focusing their national coverage on two teams that in the same division so no one's familiar with other teams.

Also, Favre is playing.  WTF.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on December 21, 2010, 05:58:42 am
Also, Favre is playing.  WTF.
Not for long.  Ouch.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on December 21, 2010, 06:32:27 am
Atlanta Autopilots 160.38
A Dude's Stew 159.58

(lol?)
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 21, 2010, 06:54:31 am
Is anyone else rooting HARD for a team to make the playoffs outta the NFC West with a losing record?

Am I the only sick fuck who has always wanted to see this?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 21, 2010, 02:16:01 pm
End regular season.  Lister's Lab Rats won to clinch third place.  A Dude's Stew lost, but back into the playoffs anyway as both Banana Town and Space Fuzz fall.

Your semi-finals, then:
Venomous Monkeys (Nabu) vs. A Dude's Stew (Asherdan)
Habaneros (jaydub) vs. Lister's Lab Rats (Lister)

There's also the consolation bracket for 5-8, but really, who gives a shit?

Good luck evry'buddy.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 21, 2010, 03:16:08 pm
Is anyone else rooting HARD for a team to make the playoffs outta the NFC West with a losing record?

Am I the only sick fuck who has always wanted to see this?

Nope. Me too. I want to see an 11-5 team have to go on the road to play a 7-9 team, and just brutalize them in from of the hometown fans.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on December 21, 2010, 03:24:40 pm
wait am i in the running for fifth place? how the eff did that happen. i mean, i'm happy i'm not in last place any more, but really? fighting for fifth? wow.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 21, 2010, 03:29:22 pm
Hell, I want to see a 7-9 team go on a tear and get to the Super Bowl, if not win it outright.  Just so we can have absolute media spasms about how the NFL playoff system is broken and how to fix it.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 21, 2010, 04:13:38 pm
And we can hear, again, how the Oakland Raiders won it all as a wild card team.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 21, 2010, 04:21:47 pm
Ryan Leaf to pen three autobiographies (http://www.kfbb.com/sports/local/CMRs-Leaf-to-pen-autobiography-112212124.html).

Maybe, Ryan, that could be just one book. Or, better, a pamphlet. Or, better still, some graffiti on the back of the Great Falls bus station.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 21, 2010, 07:43:28 pm
A law in all pro sports where if you don't have a winning percentage over .500, your playoff spot is vacated and the playoffs are re-seeded accordingly would be AWESOME.

Of course, I'm the guy who believes that baseball, hockey and baseball all need to contract to 24 teams and the NFL expand to 40 teams.

I got weird ideas.

But I'd be an INTERESTING Commissioner of All Sports, anyway.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 21, 2010, 08:03:26 pm
My radical idea to fix the NBA:  The first three quarters of most NBA games are complete bullshit, right?  It's played at half- to three-quarter speed, and then in the fourth they finally get serious.  My idea:  instead of a single, four-quarter game, play a best of five set where each game is 12 minutes.  Like a volleyball match.  (OT of each individual game would only be one, maybe two minutes.)  W-L in the standings would be based on sets, while individual game records would be the first tiebreaker.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 21, 2010, 08:42:07 pm
Oh man.

I guess that the free-throw-shooting-contests at the end of all NBA and major college basketball games bore me so much that I reflexively didn't write it.

If there was some way to have that not happen, I could enjoy basketball a LOT more.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on December 22, 2010, 03:18:01 am
Is anyone else rooting HARD for a team to make the playoffs outta the NFC West with a losing record?
Well, yeah - but I'm a Niner's fan so the record weirdness isn't my principal reason.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 26, 2010, 01:50:51 am
So, anyone have Arizona's defense this week?

Merry Christmas! Kitna wants 30,000 passing yard before he retires and he's whipping the damn thing everywhere.

Pick-sixes for everyone!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 26, 2010, 04:46:15 am
Kitna is going to be just the most garbagey QB in a list of good ones. 4 sacks and two pick-sixes in like 20 minutes.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 26, 2010, 04:47:52 am
Also, when you only have one good player on your team, you should try to get the ball to him.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on December 26, 2010, 06:05:40 pm
i had arizona's d but dropped them and picked up tampa, wish i'd done so a few weeks ago. sure i might not have a chance at winning the league but damned if imma quit just because of that
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 26, 2010, 11:54:09 pm
No need for me to pull for the Raiders next week, so that's a relief.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on December 27, 2010, 01:05:59 am
Eliminated by the Bengals.  Apt for this season, though.  In fake internet football news, it's a real shame that a D that produced 4 points would've been my best choice this week.  I'm still hoping for a bailout game by Vick on Tuesday now.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 27, 2010, 01:35:08 am
I am not as much into football as you all are?

But the Terri-Bowl between two teams with losing records for the NFC West next week just continues to amuse me.

Oh man.

Oh man.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 27, 2010, 04:11:27 am
I'm curious to see if Norval suffers the ax. I am sort of leaning toward it happening, but I'm wondering how the lockout will affect things. Do you want to pay your lame duck coach to dick around for an extra year, not actually coaching games? Or do you want to get the guy of the future in and have him have an extra year to build your program? I'm not sure how much more time Norval has on his contract, though.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 27, 2010, 04:53:34 am
Thought for the day: According to Steve Young's wiki page, he will continue receiving large payments until 2027 from the annuity purchased for him by the USFL's Los Angeles Express.
Quote
The league ceased operations in 1986 after losing most of its claims in an antitrust suit against the NFL. As of 2010, Young continues to receive his annuity. Payments started at $200,000 per year in 1990 and will continue to increase annually. In 2027, the final year of the contract, Young will receive $3.173 million.[1]
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 27, 2010, 05:03:42 am
That'll buy a whole lot of...

Special Mormon underwear.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on December 27, 2010, 06:16:45 am
The Texans have been finding interesting ways to lose each week.  They have been starting slow and playing catch up only to lose it at the end.  Today they got out to a quick start and then died in the second half and lost it at the end.  Very entertaining games every week.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 27, 2010, 02:06:44 pm
Thanks to the uncharacteristically wussy people of Philadelphia, the semi-finals will be strung out until Tuesday.

The Monkeys are 16 up on the Stew.  The Stew is still very much alive, with three players still to go, not least of all Drew Brees.  The Monkeys have just one defensive player left, and if I were Nabu I'd be very nervous about this.

The Habaneros are 37 up on the Lab Rats, which is a wider cushion, but still not safe.  Lister has three players left, jaydub two.  This one could very well come down to what Michael Vick does for Lister and the Eagles on Tuesday afternoon.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 27, 2010, 02:40:51 pm
Yeah, my whole week did not go well.

Who the fuck is signing those checks for Steve Young?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on December 27, 2010, 05:37:43 pm

Who the fuck is signing those checks for Steve Young?

An insurance company.

My darling daughter already has me beat and she has SIX players left. 

I suck.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 27, 2010, 05:45:28 pm
I can't imagine what the premiums would be to underwrite any portion of a company in competition with the NFL - although I guess they must have figured that football is popular enough that the pie is big enough to share? Plus this was 25 years ago or so. Just seems like you've got to know that's going to be a rough go.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on December 27, 2010, 05:54:23 pm
I can't imagine what the premiums would be to underwrite any portion of a company in competition with the NFL - although I guess they must have figured that football is popular enough that the pie is big enough to share? Plus this was 25 years ago or so. Just seems like you've got to know that's going to be a rough go.

No, it was an annuity.  The USFL (or whatever team owner it was) paid some insurance company a lump sum 25 years ago, equal to the present value of the stream of payments he has received and will continue to receive until 2027.  Well, not equal exactly because the insurance company needs to make a profit on the deal.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on December 27, 2010, 06:48:55 pm
Herschel Walker beat the Express on a late TD run [/size]


Herschel Walker Cuyler Them Dogs Is Hell Don't They (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7RT5M44AVM)
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 27, 2010, 09:00:57 pm
SQUIDBILLIES FOR THE BLOCK!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 27, 2010, 09:40:00 pm
Here's an item relevant to our Lambeau Leap discussion.  Apparently it's a thing the league typically turns a blind eye to, but don't overdo it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Video-Chiefs-get-penalized-for-overdoing-the-La?urn=nfl-300605
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 27, 2010, 09:51:32 pm
That's awesome. "Only one man is permitted to jump into the stands."
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 27, 2010, 10:31:50 pm
That's still not as bad as the "All Football Games Must Be Delayed On Flimsy Pretenses If It Increases The Chances of Favre Playing A Marquee Television Game" rule.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on December 28, 2010, 07:27:38 am
The Habaneros are 37 up on the Lab Rats, which is a wider cushion, but still not safe.  Lister has three players left, jaydub two.  This one could very well come down to what Michael Vick does for Lister and the Eagles on Tuesday afternoon.
The gap widened a bit with the Monday Night game.  Lister's Saints players did exactly squat, while Roddy White turned in a pretty good performance for a guy listed as "Questionable" on the injury report.  Tomorrow I see if my lead plus the contributions of Quintin Mikels (sp?) is enough to hold off Michael Vick. 
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 28, 2010, 12:29:38 pm
Right, not even Michael Vick can score 44 points, right?  Except when he put up 58 on the Redskins in November.

In the other semi-final, Brees and Moore weren't exactly spectacular, but good enough to give the Stew a 5-point lead on the Monkeys.  Asherdan has Vikings' tight end Visanthe "how did it look?" (http://deadspin.com/5104415/visanthe-shiancoe-becomes-a-big-bright-shining-star) Shiancoe going this afternoon, while Nabu has Vikings D-lineman Jared Allen.  Were I betting on this, my money's on the Stew, but stranger things have happened.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 28, 2010, 03:40:15 pm
Yeah, I'd have been better off if Brees hadn't thrown that TD there towards the end. I wouldn't want all my eggs in a TE's basket (sorry about reinforcing the image of Shiancoe's basket for y'all) but then again Jared Allen won't be catching Vick, so it's almost certainly over for me.

I went into the postseason in first place in both my leagues, and I'm fixing to get knocked out in the first round in both of them. Maybe I should have rested my starters. I do have Vick in my other league, but I'm down like 50, so I don't know.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 29, 2010, 12:23:23 am
Former Fighting Irish player Dan Quinn's Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Quinn_(fighter)). Didn't know where else to put this. I especially like:

Quote from: obviously Pat Quinn
While attending the school, he was involved in a bitter feud with evil Hall of Fame coach Lou Holtz and genetic miscreant starter, Frank Stamms. Quinn alleged that Holtz assaulted players, engaged in illegal point shaving by not allowing him more time on the field to make "spectacular fuck*ng plays."

and

Quote from: again, the nutjob himself
Quinn went on hiatus from MMA for four years, during which time he discovered the secret of cold fusion with stevia, the violin and prison, all in that order.

Solid work, Mr. Quinn.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on December 29, 2010, 05:44:01 am
Oh man.  That didn't turn out very well.  I recorded the game but I don't think I want to watch it.

While there's a long list of woulda-coulda-shoulda's, apparently T.O. was the one player making up for my other streaky WRs.  Welker did his patented team-first disappearing act, and Colston had about a 20-yard TD annulled by a false start.  Jacoby Ford won this year's "standout special teamer in a losing cause" award*.

Chris Johnson?  That commercial with the eggs and the watermelon, over and over and over.  I'm now kind of rooting for Jeff giraffeer to be fired so that the team's policy of spending no money** will take its full effect on the field.  Also, this is an awesome word filter edit.

*Also known as "The Cribbs"

**Unless it's on someone who can't handle the pressure of being an NFL quarterback!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on December 29, 2010, 07:55:35 am
It's amazing to me that Jeff giraffeer has lasted so long.  A lifetime of watching Bud Adams meddle with the team and then fire one good coach after another when his meddling's didn't work out.  I haven't paid much attention to what's going on in Tennessee, but I assumed that someone else is running the team nowadays.  Adams must be 90 years old.  Edit:  He's 83.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 29, 2010, 02:34:47 pm
Oh hells yes.  Nabu had a glimmer of hope when Jared Allen scooped up a fumble, but in the end Asherdan gets juuuuuust enough out of Shiancoe to win by the aforementioned 68 one-hundredths of a point.  Nabu continues the fine TOUAMB fantasy sports tradition of the #1 regular season team getting knocked out in the first round of the playoffs.

Vick's disappointing evening means the Habeneros win convincingly over Lister's Lab Rats.  I'm sure a lot of fantasy football owners nationwide are cursing Michael Vick this morning.  After all he did for you, people!

So it's A Dude's Stew (Asherdan) vs. Habaneros (jaydub) for the champeenship.  Good luck, gentlemen.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on December 29, 2010, 02:53:34 pm
thought i had a chance at glory (fifth! after being last!), but my guys snatched defeat from the jaws of victory just like they like to do
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 29, 2010, 02:57:07 pm
Yeah, the Jared Allen fumble came too little, too late. However, last night was a fine example of what they always say the value of playing fantasy football is - being interested in games and players that you normally wouldn't be. Like I learned last night that Jared Allen is a showboating, overpursuing showboaty-overpursuer. For a guy who gets a lot of good press, he's very Ray Lewis-like in getting to the pile late or running off the screen and out of the play. To be fair to him, by the end they were basically triple-teaming him and daring other players to fuck up Mike Vick's shit. And they did.

Also, fuck giraffeer. The guy is done. He needs to be fired. His guys aren't playing for him anymore. I think it'll happen, because he isn't a VY fan and Adams is. And Jehu I hope we don't end up with Gruden.

Interesting (to me) point I recently read: Shanny has been nothing without Elway and is a mediocre coach at best who just lucked into getting a HOFer to make his bones with. I won't disagree.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on December 31, 2010, 11:41:49 pm
what
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on January 01, 2011, 12:54:45 am
Also, fuck giraffeer. The guy is done. He needs to be fired. His guys aren't playing for him anymore. I think it'll happen, because he isn't a VY fan and Adams is. And Jehu I hope we don't end up with Gruden.
You're a Titans fan?  I knew you carried the torch for the Chargers.  If Norval gets the axe, what would you think of Chucky at the helm there?  At least we wouldn't hear his witticisms on Monday Night anymore.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2011, 01:00:30 am
I should have added a carriage return there. That was what I meant - I might have to take a year or two off if we get Gruden, although he's proven he can win it all whilst capitalizing on another coach's hard work, so maybe . . . .

Seriously, though - I thought I lost last week, and now I'm in the championship? I'm not complaining, but did they re-score and decide Jared Allen's calf-roping sack dance was worth five points or something?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on January 01, 2011, 05:41:18 am
I guess a 0.68 margin of victory is shaky before the stat corrections go out.  I thought my matchups against Ash's team were more winnable.
Intersting move starting KC and Oakland's defenses.  Expecting that game to be a snore?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 01, 2011, 01:15:37 pm
Th' hell?  They must have adjusted something.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2011, 06:21:36 pm
You're a Titans fan?  I knew you carried the torch for the Chargers.  If Norval gets the axe, what would you think of Chucky at the helm there?  At least we wouldn't hear his witticisms on Monday Night anymore.

Somehow, looking back and my response, I still didn't make it clear. Chargers only, no splitting the fanship. I was just commenting on the Titans, and that led into my abject terror at getting Gruden. I guess they're giving Norval and AJ another year, though. This way they can fire them five games into the season next year (barring a lockout) and next year will be in the shitter, too.

Speaking of that, is Marty's 14-2 the best season a coach ever got fired after? What's the next best - is it even 8-8?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on January 02, 2011, 09:49:31 am
Hmm, I'd thought the Bucs fired Dungy after the '99 loss in the NFC championship, but it turns out he was fired after a 9-7 2001 season.  This is a surprisingly difficult question to google.

Also I made roster changes today for no real reason.  Simpson, eh?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on January 02, 2011, 07:17:33 pm
Brady started?  On behalf of my TE (and Nabu's benching of Brady) I'm delighted but mystified.  Hope he  doesn't take a helmet to the knee.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 02, 2011, 11:06:55 pm
Yeah, I got screwed there, and despite SD's handing Denver a beating (so far), Phil doesn't have much to do with it. Then again, Sanchez seems to have taken the day off as well, so who knows. Strange day, strange season.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on January 03, 2011, 01:15:09 am
Yeah, I'm hoping St Louis gets behind by a bunch, then starts flinging to Amendola.  A bunch of my starters apparently played, but generated 0 points.  I wasn't expecting much from Sanchez, but still...
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: miles on January 03, 2011, 01:43:03 am
Yeah, I'm hoping St Louis gets behind by a bunch

And stays there. I want another shot at the Saints next week. I don't care what happens after that.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 03, 2011, 03:02:54 am
Kolb = <5>
Woodhead = <.5>
Pollard = 0

However

Fitzy = 21
Foster = 41
Jennings (the Jax one) = 22
Oak D = 31

Strange. Most of my benchings were good, other than Tawmmy.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: miles on January 03, 2011, 04:30:03 am
Huh. I didn't really expect Seattle to win. Wow.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 03, 2011, 04:30:33 am
So. Funny.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: miles on January 03, 2011, 04:40:12 am
What will be funnier is if Seattle beats the defending champions on Saturday.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 03, 2011, 04:50:16 am
I think Seattle will find that to be a bit of a challenge. Also, in unrelated news, I hate Pete Carroll.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on January 03, 2011, 04:50:39 am
Wow, both of those teams sucked pretty badly.  
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 03, 2011, 04:58:36 am
Quote from: Nabubrush
I think Seattle will find that to be a bit of a challenge. Also, in unrelated news, I hate Pete Carroll.

If it makes you feel any better, he probably got the Seahawks paid less than the Trojans in a usual season.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: miles on January 03, 2011, 05:29:13 am
If it makes you feel any better, he probably got the Seahawks paid less than the Trojans in a usual season.

Can!

I think Seattle will find that to be a bit of a challenge.

Totally. But hey, they beat Chicago. It could happen. Anyway, I obviously gave up hope for any real post-season glory earlier this year, basically after we lost to New York. Oh hell, it was really after Denver beat us. Also because I am from Seattle. At this point I just want to win to shut Saints fans up (my friends in particular) until September. They're worse than Red Sox fans.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on January 03, 2011, 05:48:36 am
ain't no fan worse than a giants fan
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 03, 2011, 06:13:41 am
At this point I just want to win to shut Saints fans up (my friends in particular) until September. They're worse than Red Sox fans.

You are a good person and I like you, but this is crazy talk right here.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 03, 2011, 06:17:30 am
If it makes you feel any better, he probably got the Seahawks paid less than the Trojans in a usual season.

My problem with him is that he made me feel sympathy for USC, which sucks by itself, by indulging in all his shenanigans and then running off to leave them holding the bag. A lot of people took it in the shorts so he could bail for Seattle. I hope nothing but bad things for him.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: miles on January 03, 2011, 06:18:30 am
Heh.

(http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5124/5318663315_e0379ec7d6.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cromni/5318663315/)

You are a good person and I like you, but this is crazy talk right here.

Yeah, you right.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 03, 2011, 06:49:36 am
The fun thing about Red Sox fans is how their team spends enough money as the second richest team in the game, putting third place way off in the distance, but they somehow manage to have an insane inferiority complex anyway. That's gotta take some fuckin' mental gymnastics.

That's what's great about cheering for the Mets.

"Yeah, we're supposed to be rich but our team is owned by assholes so... lets not take this TOO seriously. Lets have some laughs with this."
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on January 03, 2011, 07:02:26 am
At this point I just want to win to shut Saints fans up (my friends in particular) until September. They're worse than Red Sox fans.

The Saints fans I've met are just exuberantly for their team.  They aren't assholes about it.  Hey, they had an awesome team last year, let them have their fun.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 03, 2011, 02:28:26 pm
Congrats to Nabu, who went from the disappointment of narrowly losing the semi-final to the champeenship in something like 72 hours.  Jaydub takes second, Lister third.  Condolences to Asherdan, who on the flip side of Nabu's run, went from a spot in the championship game to no trophy at all in relatively short order.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 03, 2011, 02:56:27 pm
That's what's great about cheering for the Mets.

"Yeah, we're supposed to be rich but our team is owned by assholes so... lets not take this TOO seriously. Lets have some laughs with this."

Me too - the Chargers have (and have had) such a fantastic team on paper, but are sort of epically mismanaged where it counts. We probably should have three rings or so by now. Have to laugh to keep from crying.

I had lots of time for the Sox fans (my brother is one) when they broke the "curse" but now I just want them to shut the fuck up.

Related: both my bosses are Lions fans from way back. It's like they won the Super Bowl this year for them.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 03, 2011, 02:57:09 pm
Also, thanks to all for another fun season! And thanks to Arian Foster for being my tragically-named sleeper.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 03, 2011, 04:09:05 pm
I got a letter from the commissioner of the NFL today!
Quote from: Roger Goodell
With one of the most exciting regular seasons now completed and the playoffs about to begin, let me first thank you and all NFL fans for your incredible support. Many fans have been asking me where we stand on signing a new collective bargaining agreement with the players union. Let me update you and be clear at the outset:

I know we can and will reach an agreement.

My goal as Commissioner now is to help our teams and players find a solution that is fair to everyone and ensures that football becomes more popular, accessible, and fun. We want the next decade to be the best yet for our fans, and I’m ready to work day and night to make that happen.

We've come a long way. Compare where we are today with 10 years ago. From player accountability to player safety, more and better television coverage, upgrading the in-stadium experience, innovations like the RedZone channel, the Draft in prime time and playing the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl, we are focused on doing what’s best for the players, teams, and fans. My priority is and always will be the game and the fans who love our game.

The NFL is great because fans care deeply about it. Economic conditions, however, have changed dramatically inside and outside the NFL since 2006 when we negotiated the last CBA. A 10 percent unemployment rate hurts us all. Fans have limited budgets and rightly want the most for their money. I get it.

Yes, NFL players deserve to be paid well. Unfortunately, economic realities are forcing everyone to make tough choices and the NFL is no different.

These are not easy negotiations, but the outcome can be positive. If both sides give a little, everyone, including fans, will get a lot and the game will improve through innovation.

Even in difficult economic times, a new CBA presents us with the opportunity to secure the future of our game. You may ask how will the NFL look under this vision?

A significant change would be to resolve fan complaints about preseason by modifying our 20-game format. Fans tell us they don’t like the quality of the preseason games, and we’re listening. An enhanced season of 18 regular season and two preseason games would not add a single game for the players collectively, but would give fans more meaningful, high-quality football.

Our emphasis on player health and safety is absolutely essential to the future of our game. We are strictly enforcing rules that protect players from unnecessarily dangerous play, especially involving hits to the head. We are changing the “play through it” culture to a “player-first” culture to ensure that if a player has a head injury, he doesn’t play again until his health is certain. We are also addressing the potential wear-and-tear on players in the way they train in-season and off-season.

It’s not just the health of players that concerns us. We must ensure the health of the league. That includes a new system that properly compensates proven veterans and retired players by shifting some of the outrageous sums paid to many unproven rookies. Earlier this year, Sports Illustrated published a list of the 50 highest-paid American athletes that included five 2009 NFL rookies. Every other athlete on the list was a proven veteran. In 2009, NFL clubs contracted $1.2 billion to 256 drafted rookies with $585 million guaranteed before they had stepped on an NFL field.

Don’t get me wrong: top draft choices will continue to be highly paid. All we’re asking for is a return to common sense in paying our rookies. Other leagues have done this and we can too.

These improvements and more will lead to better football, plain and simple. A forward looking CBA that is fair to players and clubs will lead to a great future for the NFL and our fans.

My job is to represent the game — the fans, teams, players, coaches and business partners. Protecting the integrity of the game and ensuring it thrives is a responsibility I take very seriously.

This is about more than a labor agreement. It’s about the future of the NFL. We have to improve and will be relentless in our quest. The commitment to our fans is to make the NFL experience even better in the years ahead. With a responsible CBA, we will fulfill that vision.

Happy New Year and enjoy the playoffs.

– Roger Goodell
So, wait - 18 games of real football is the same for star players as 16 games and two pre-season? Um, no. That innovation will shorten careers significantly. I will buy the whole "not paying rookies an arm and a leg" thing, but those are going to have to be short contracts. And what about a 7-9 team making the playoffs? I don't see that mentioned as something to look at.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: CortJstr on January 03, 2011, 05:08:25 pm
"ensures that football becomes more popular, accessible, and fun."

Eliminate the TV time-out and we'll talk. Until then kindly fuck off.

Or switch to the MLS system where center field front row tickets cost $30 with no service fees. Either way.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 04, 2011, 04:09:40 am
Bolts give their special teams coach the hook (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/01/03/chargers.crosby.ap/index.html?xid=si_nfl).
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 04, 2011, 10:43:52 pm
So, Jim Tomsula is the (interim?) coach of the 49ers. He got the win the other day. Last week he had this to say:

Quote from: Jim Tomsula, a guy who ought to fit right in
I'm a football coach. I'm Jim Nobody from Nowhere. I keep my spoon in my soup. I don't eat anybody else's soup. I just do my job.

Are we sure this isn't Singletary in disguise?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on January 04, 2011, 11:23:41 pm
He head coached in NFL Europe.  Now he's the D-line coach for the Niners.  Supposedly the way this is supposed to go is the owner will hire a general manager, who will then determine who he wants as a head coach.  When that guy (the coach) comes in, he'll look at the staff in place and decide who stays and who goes.  On the one hand, this was a nice feather in the cap for Jim Nobody.  On the other hand, the incoming administration might decide he's too big for his britches and give him the heave-ho (which, given the stoutness of the Niners against the run would be a mistake IMO).  I'm sure Tomsula has already done that calculus and his statements are to indicate he's perfectly happy with his current (D-Line) role and won't make waves for whoever's next.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 05, 2011, 04:29:28 am
But . . . but . . . he doesn't eat anybody else's soup!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 05, 2011, 03:29:51 pm
Are we sure this isn't Singletary in disguise?

I'm not a doctor! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGfueEHj1Ks&feature=player_embedded)
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on January 06, 2011, 08:07:06 pm
out of curiosity, i checked and found that i only kept three players from the first game through the last, and one i'd dropped for a game and picked back up after a supreme letdown by the jagoff i grabbed to replace him for the week he was injured:

matt cassell*
adrian wilson
ahmad bradshaw

*that guy i dropped

i made a LOT of changes and almost all were for the better. maybe next year i'll be a contender - but i won't hold my breath.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: miles on January 09, 2011, 01:07:31 am
Yes yes yes fuckity yes!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 09, 2011, 01:53:03 am
Pete Carroll's "Win Slightly Less Than Half The Time" motivational speeches finally paying off.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: miles on January 09, 2011, 02:15:23 am
I watched it with my friends who are huge Saints fans, and I could only give them about five seconds worth of shit before I felt bad. Poor guys, first team to lose in the post season to a team with a losing regular season record. I am owed a 12 pack though, and I made that bet when we were down 10-0.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 10, 2011, 02:31:43 am
I'm pulling for Balt vs Atl or Balt vs GB, I guess. As long as the NFC wins it all I'll be cool.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 19, 2011, 04:39:37 pm
So that didn't quite shake out. I'm going to pull for Chicago, actually (even with Cuttlegiraffe) because of Mom. Please dear God let the Jets not win it all.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 20, 2011, 12:44:57 am
And once again, the filter abides.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: miles on January 20, 2011, 02:15:03 am
For some reason I kind of like the Bears, and was only upset for about 20 minutes after they beat the Seahawks on Sunday. If it can't be Seattle, let it be Chicago (but yeah Cutler makes it hard to pull for them, the fucker). If Pittsburgh wins it all I'm going to murder someone.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on January 20, 2011, 06:48:14 pm
Why are we supposed to hate Pittsburgh?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: miles on January 21, 2011, 12:38:23 am
I don't care what y'all think of Pittsburgh, but Super Bowl 40 still smarts a bit for me.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 21, 2011, 05:07:51 pm
I officially give a rat's ass who wins the Super Bowl now.  Don't like any of them.  I guess if I was forced to choose I'd pick the Jets, because I find Rex Ryan's style to be entertaining compared to the boring platitudes that we usually get from athlete interviews.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: jaydub on January 21, 2011, 08:37:06 pm
I don't care what y'all think of Pittsburgh, but Super Bowl 40 still smarts a bit for me.
A friend of mine has his 40th birthday on that day.  Naturally he's throwing a bash :)
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 21, 2011, 11:43:44 pm
Pittsburgh has enough for right now, is my issue. Well, plus Ben is rapey, which isn't cool. Plus I hate Hines Ward. Plus the fans that I know (that I work with) deserve a smack in the mouth. Other than that, I'm down.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on January 22, 2011, 04:07:35 am
Rothlesberger raped somebody?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on January 22, 2011, 04:47:30 am
he was charged with sexual assault (again) and the charges were dropped (again) but this time he was penalized by the league so as to miss the first four games of the season. the only good qb i drafted.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 22, 2011, 07:10:11 am
To be fair, Sanchez was accused of rape during his college days as well.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 22, 2011, 04:17:35 pm
To be fair, Sanchez was accused of rape during his college days as well.

I don't like him any better.

My QB is a paragon of virtue, when it comes to not raping people. He's an enormous asshole, but he doesn't rape anyone.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: miles on January 22, 2011, 05:57:03 pm
Heh (http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/jay-cutler-proves-naysayers-wrong-by-defeating-shi,18898/).

Quote from: The Onion
CHICAGO—Silencing once and for all the multitude of critics who said he did not have what it took to be a postseason quarterback, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler led the Bears to the NFC Championship Game last Sunday by defeating the 8-10 Seattle Seahawks, by far the worst team ever to make the playoffs. "I think I've demonstrated what I'm truly capable of when I'm playing to my strengths," said Cutler, who threw for two touchdowns against Seattle's godawful 27th-ranked defense and had a four-game interception streak snapped only because Seahawks safety Jordan Babineaux inexplicably muffed a pass thrown at the goal line. "People got to see my true potential today." Cutler will play his first postseason game against an opponent with a winning record Sunday.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 23, 2011, 11:50:36 pm
Packers struggled against Caleb Hanie? I predict a long Super Bowl for them.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: miles on January 24, 2011, 03:46:34 am
I'm happy for you dude, but I can't think of a Super Bowl I could be less interested in. I mean, it would be kind of nice to see the Steelers lose, and I guess I'll cheer the Packers on for one day, but I honestly do not give a fuck. I barely even dislike the Steelers. I like Tomlin and pulled for them when Dennis Dixon was starting. And it'd be nice to see Aaron Rodgers not win a Super Bowl. Basically the only way I'll end up caring is if Dixon gets to start, but isn't he injured anyway?

Oh well, I'm clearly in the minority (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview08/columns/story?id=3530077) (if this 2 and 1/2 year old article is true anymore, but judging by how many Steelers and Packers fans there are in Utah alone by my own count, it seems right).
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 24, 2011, 03:53:35 am
Could be better, could be worse. It's gonna be a long off-season.

Fuck it: let's go Red Wings!
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 24, 2011, 03:39:13 pm
A looooooooot of people from my hometown are Steelers fans, so my FB feed is all "Go Steelers!" an' shit. 

My hometown is actually closer to Baltimore, Washington, AND Philly than Pittsburgh, so I think these people are deluded, but that's just my opinion.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 24, 2011, 06:40:02 pm
Philadelphia: 0 rings
Baltimore: 1 ring*
Washington: 3 rings

Pittsburgh: 6 rings

Hmm.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 24, 2011, 07:15:56 pm
Well, yeah.  It's easier to cheer for a winner, of course.  When I was a kid it was the Terry Bradshaw Steelers all winning Super Bowls, so it's no wonder so many of my peers are on their bandwagon.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: CortJstr on January 24, 2011, 07:55:59 pm
Philadelphia: 0 rings
Baltimore: 1 ring*
Washington: 3 rings

Pittsburgh: 6 rings

Hmm.

Why the asterisk?
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 24, 2011, 08:14:50 pm
FTFY

Indeed.  "Wow, thanks Mean Joe!"

I'm sure Nabu can and will answer, but I'm guessing it's something to do with the theft of teams to and from Baltimore.  Baltimore actually has two Super Bowl titles, but only one of them belonged to the Baltimore team that was there when I was a kid, and that team is now in Indianapolis.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on January 24, 2011, 09:09:35 pm
The Houston Oilers were in the same division as the Steelers and therefore their constant whipping boys.  The Oilers greatest moment was losing to the Steelers in the AFC Championship game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979%E2%80%9380_NFL_playoffs#AFC_Championship:_Pittsburgh_Steelers_27.2C_Houston_Oilers_13).  I firmly believe that  the Oilers were the second best team in the NFL that year.  But the Steelers were one of the best teams in history (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/football/teams/greatest.html) (they're listed #7).

I've always admired the Steelers.    I admire their accomplishments on the field and I admire their loyalty to their staff..  They are a class organization.

PS - It was a catch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgSqto3FBcc#t=7m43s).  Also, I want Bum Phhillips coat.

But these days, if I'm a fan of any team it would be the Packers because they have something that the Steelers or Oilers never had and no other NFL team will ever have again, public ownership (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers#Public_Company).  The Green Bay Packers really are Green Bay's team.  Also, I'm a big fan of Clay Mathews who's uncle Bruce played 18 seasons for the Oilers.

And if we're picking winners I think the Packers have the better team this year and will likely win the game.  Aaron Rogers is on fire!


Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 24, 2011, 09:35:33 pm
Yeah, Balt - Indy - Cleve - Balt - Cleve, whatever.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 24, 2011, 09:36:35 pm
Also, my team was originally an LA team and I am having a tough time stomaching the idea that they might go back, so I don't know where that leaves us.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Choop on January 24, 2011, 09:39:54 pm
that... won't be a problem.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 24, 2011, 09:42:57 pm
that... won't be a problem.
I'ma let you finish, but I won't underestimate the NFL's desire to find a way to separate all those consumers from their lucre, no matter how many times it's failed in the past.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 25, 2011, 02:57:28 am
FTFY
Nice call. I saw a poll on ESPN (mobile) asking if Mr. Rapey or Bradshaw was the better quarterback. I know it's hard to compare players across generations, but it seems pretty hard to make the case for the skullet. Nevertheless, he was winning by a 3-1 margin.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: AugustWest on January 25, 2011, 04:27:38 am

PS - It was a catch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgSqto3FBcc#t=7m43s).  Also, I want Bum Phhillips coat.


Oh HELLS yes.  And the hat.  And the fuck*ng glassses.

My problem with this Super Bowl is that I have vague, semi-positive feelings toward both teams.  I sort of like them both and at right about the same level for each.  Not sure who I'm rooting for, if anybody.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on January 25, 2011, 06:40:38 am
There are accusations and there are accusations, and basically the only reason Ben skated on these charges is because of colossal ineptitude on the part of the investigating officers along with some good ol' plausibly deniable assistance from the club owner.  "The police didn't tell us we shouldn't erase the surveillance tapes or clean the crime scene with bleach!  Whoops, our bad."

I hate it because I really like the Steelers.  I like the owners, I like their style, I like Mike Tomlin and Hines Ward.  I want to cheer for them.  But what Ben did to that girl is reprehensible and I can't cheer for his "redemption" to come after ten whole months of not being accused of sexual assault.

Fortunately, the Packers are my favoritest NFC team and I love Aaron Rodgers for being a class act in every way.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on January 25, 2011, 03:55:00 pm
Yes. Pulling for the NFC hard this year. I have a hard time rooting for colossal fuckheads on teams I like. Fortunately it hasn't happened too much. Yeah, my QB is a douchebag, but he hasn't done anything actionable. Closest I've come is Todd Bertuzzi playing for the Wings, and I can't endorse him. He punched Steve Moore hard enough in the back of the head to end his career. Granted, you play hockey and dish it out, you know you're going to get it coming back, but still.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Nabubrush on March 04, 2011, 03:14:58 am
Is it best to start a new thread once the Super Bowl is over? I don't know. If so, maybe someone can split this, but:

The Chargers just signed Bob "I never drank milk as a kid" Sanders. Is it possible that we might get four games out of him, maybe? Like it'll matter, with no football this year, but still.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: Lister on March 07, 2011, 12:27:04 am
I see two options with Bob Sanders.

1: He plays early and maybe the Chargers win some games before mid-October.  He gets hurt just as the rest of the team remembers that they can play football, too.

2: He gets hurt in pre-season and returns just in time for the standard mad scramble to beat out whoever's ahead of the Chargers in the division.

Either way ends on a stretcher in someone else's building in the divisional round of the playoffs.
Title: Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
Post by: pmcd9 on March 07, 2011, 12:42:51 am
So what do we title this new thread.  In order to make the season longer we've got to shorten it with a strike.