Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 59   Go Down

Author Topic: I had a dream....  (Read 132563 times)

0 Members and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #825 on: December 21, 2013, 12:50:04 am »

But if all the historians were to disappear tomorrow then in 30 years would the artists know about the past masters and be able to build on what they'd done etc etc? I think collecting and preserving knowledge is a pretty important pursuit and saying that it doesn't produce anything just because you can't turn it into something right this moment doesn't make it without value.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #826 on: December 21, 2013, 01:03:15 am »

Trading and taking a cut is not "producing." But my point is not that what you do is bad-- it is that whether someone's job is "producing" is a bad way of evaluating that job. I produce lattes at my job and I  don't think my job is better than being a historian. I think being a historian is probably better for the world than producing lattes or comics or paintings. But I still want to live in a world with those things.
Do not reduce what I do to "taking a cut" off trades. Not all of us are out to change the world or produce works of art. Most of us are out to get income to fund our other proclivities. When I was in high school I thought locksmithing and blacksmithing were rad so I gave them a shot. I wasn't good at either, but I was good at seeing the patterns in markets. I do what I'm good at, it pays well, and I can sleep at night. When I said linguistics was a masturbatory profession I meant that people who call themselves linguists or historians are really spending their days doing things that only benefit themselves and other linguists with no outward benefit. I could be wrong. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the lives of linguists and historians because I'm too busy working.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #827 on: December 21, 2013, 01:28:01 am »

Well to a large extent linguists and historians are just doing the same thing you're doing, but eliminating the middleman. They're being paid directly to indulge their own proclivities.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #828 on: December 21, 2013, 01:34:10 am »

yo somebody needs to remember a dream or something, this thread got aggro and i'm bored of it
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #829 on: December 21, 2013, 02:08:53 am »

This thing a friend said on Facebook is true of most of my dreams.
Quote
"believe in your dreams" is a confusing thing to tell people. I dream all kinds of weird things that if I believed in them I would live in CONSTANT TERROR! And I would believe that I forgot to wear ##### to work.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #830 on: January 02, 2014, 05:45:15 pm »

I was wandering around some kind of fancy hipster mall looking for either a raincoat or jeans to spend my christmas money on. They had lots of awesome clothes, but no raincoats. Then I stumbled into a section that was just beautiful women trying on exciting underwear. I walked through there and saw lots of bodies and also two ladies having a play-fight with giant dildos. Next came the two competing burger-and-milkshake joints, across the hall from each other. I was trying to decide which place looked better when I woke up.

While I was home I had a dream that a lady in sexy workout attire approached me, and her mouth opened and one of those double-voices they give the devil in movies1 came out, and she said something like "I'VE GOT YOU NOW" and reached out at me and I grabbed her by the throat and started bashing her against the pavement.

I do not feel great about how often I have dreams about fighting beautiful women. I do not believe dreams mean anything but none of my friends have those dreams.

1-- you know, where you can hear her normal voice but also a terrifying distorted second voice that is very deep and roaring
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #831 on: January 02, 2014, 07:52:20 pm »

I had a dream that a lady in sexy workout attire approached me, and her mouth opened and one of those double-voices they give the devil in movies1 came out, and she said something like "I'VE GOT YOU NOW"

All Shall Love Me and Dispair
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #832 on: March 11, 2014, 11:34:02 pm »

My wife was giving birth. She was a hot Asian lady. I saw the baby and burst into tears of happiness and couldn't breathe. I was overcome with love, and announced I was getting a tattoo of the little guy's name immediately. What are we naming him? "New Vegas. Like, as in Fallout:New Vegas." Are you sure, honey? Yes.

Ok, maybe I can just get his initials.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #833 on: March 12, 2014, 06:45:37 am »

This is JL's fault.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #834 on: March 12, 2014, 12:37:01 pm »

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #835 on: March 12, 2014, 06:58:10 pm »

<3
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #836 on: March 15, 2014, 09:42:52 pm »

Side story (IRL, not a dream) a dude I know got his baby's DOB tattooed beside his eye in Roman numerals. To me this is a mistake. Even if it's your kid's birth date, and you will love that kid forever, do not get a face tattoo. It is just never a good idea in my books.  It makes me sad, even though I guess it is a beautiful gesture.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #837 on: March 16, 2014, 04:06:04 am »

yet another thing that only the maori can really pull off
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #838 on: March 17, 2014, 12:24:17 am »

yet another thing that only the maori can really pull off

Yeah, that and haka.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #839 on: March 17, 2014, 12:43:58 am »

Why Roman numerals?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 59   Go Up