Turns out my levers can be set to two different settings, and the people who sold it to me had it set in the middle. I also skipped ahead to adjusting the whole alignment, I should have made sure it wasn't just a cable that was too loose. It looks like everything is alright now, but I know what to twist if I discover I messed things up.
Really having trouble deciding when to ask that nice girl out again. I feel like "the ball is in my court" but I don't want to overdo it too early. Which is my usual error. I have a funny brain condition where when I like someone I want to talk to them and spend time with them, and apparently I am only attracted to women who are the opposite. She was definitely doing an intense Romantic Interest Face during our whole conversation the other night. Too bad she'll eventually realize I've exhausted my knowledge of labor politics after that one conversation.