Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What about it, boys (and girls) of summer?  (Read 7213 times)

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Homosexuals the Gorilla
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1306
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What about it, boys (and girls) of summer?
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2015, 12:28:14 pm »

In other baseball news:

No one cares about your fantasy team. But: when Sergio Romo was credited with a hold late yesterday, it resulted in my losing the championship in my other league, where I was going for back-to-back titles. Curse you, Sergio.

Max Scherzer sure did throw a no-hitter on Saturday! That was awesome! There was a certain amount of shit-talking from Mets fans (nice no-hitter! enjoy watching the playoffs from home!), which I kind of expected and am OK with. But there was some guy on Twitter, his bio said he's a Tigers fan, who was going on and on about how Max didn't come through for the team when it mattered, this wasn't a real Mets line-up, it doesn't matter because you missed the playoffs. Kind of sad. My FB and Twitter feeds are full of floods, people getting shot, police brutality, and my own country bombing a fuck*ng hospital and trying to act like it's no big deal. And you want to tell me I shouldn't be happy that a pitcher for my favorite team threw a no-hitter? Sheesh.

I shall be rooting for Toronto and whoever wins the NL wild card game in this playoff.
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2015, 05:43:30 pm »

Yeah, I don't want to say I'm happy that Williams got fired, but it beats the alternative. I wish he just hadn't sucked so much as a manager. I hope they replace him with someone who knows how to manage a pitching staff, say Bud Black.

My endorsing Toronto is further proof that I'm over my Phillies fandom. I have a thing for long-suffering fan bases, they seem like a fun team, and I have a good friend in Toronto who's enjoying their run tremendously.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 604
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2015, 11:51:49 pm »

Well we're all pretty excited about the Astros here in Houston. First time in the post season in a decade. I like Jim Brewer's Take.
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2015, 12:52:18 pm »

I always have sympathy with long-suffering fan bases, so I think the Astros' run has been great. My only caveat: it's easy to think "Even if they get knocked out early, this team is just starting its run and they'll be back in the playoffs next year, probably for several years." Ideally, yes, but you never know what's going to happen, and the metaphorical bus could just as easily drive off a metaphorical cliff next season. For your sake, I hope not.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2015, 07:59:14 am »

I always have sympathy with long-suffering fan bases, so I think the Astros' run has been great. My only caveat: it's easy to think "Even if they get knocked out early, this team is just starting its run and they'll be back in the playoffs next year, probably for several years." Ideally, yes, but you never know what's going to happen, and the metaphorical bus could just as easily drive off a metaphorical cliff next season. For your sake, I hope not.

No, the bus won't drive off a cliff, just all of the players will get off the bus. Unless it's the bus that takes them to New York, Los Angeles, or Boston. Because that's what happens to plucky overachieving teams these days. There are no dynasties in low rent towns like Houston. Basically the entire league is a farm club for the rich teams like the Yankees is what I am saying.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2016, 01:59:31 am »

No, the bus won't drive off a cliff, just all of the players will get off the bus. Unless it's the bus that takes them to New York, Los Angeles, or Boston. Because that's what happens to plucky overachieving teams these days. There are no dynasties in low rent towns like Houston. Basically the entire league is a farm club for the rich teams like the Yankees is what I am saying.

I have a friend who's son was drafted by the Yankees and he'll be leaving for his first professional training camp in a couple of weeks. She posted a photo of him in his uniform.

Here's the comment I didn't leave.

"New York Yankees. The best team in the history of Major League Baseball. 27 World Championships, wow. Although, to be fair, I really don't know how good they are at developing young talent for themselves. Honestly they mostly build their team by poaching the best players from other teams once they've already proven themselves. You can do that when you have so much more money than every other team.

This is not a knock against your son, of course. I'm just saying, at the Major League level the Yankees players are the best of the best, but most of them didn't start out as Yankees.

Look forward to seeing him playing in the World Series. By the way, where have they assigned him?"

For some reason I'm worried that this might offend some people.

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2016, 02:24:47 am »

They did develop Jeter, Posada, and Mariano Rivera on their own. Andy Pettite came up with them too.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2016, 10:06:02 pm »

They did develop Jeter, Posada, and Mariano Rivera on their own. Andy Pettite came up with them too.

I'm sure that many of their players are homegrown, but there can be no doubt that they poach players from the rest of the league at will.

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2016, 03:04:26 pm »

So when are we drafting? Or are we holding out for a couple more teams first?

iron_felix

• Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2016, 05:57:06 am »

If you all haven't drafted yet I'd like to get back into this.  I'll need to make a new account; my old one seems to be trapped in Yahoo! Purgatory after so many years of disuse.

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2016, 12:57:44 pm »

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2016, 07:15:28 pm »

Yet another American double standard: We don't like punk athletes like Harper who are flashy and obnoxious! Act like you've been there before! Don't show anyone up! Just win! Behave like...

Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs. Who are SOOOOO BORING omg.

KeithHernandez

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2016, 09:27:53 pm »

Odd despair inspiring Angel Fact of the day: Pujols is signed through 2021. Trout is signed through 2020. THE FUCKS.

Haha, that's stupid.
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 763
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2016, 02:29:25 am »

it will still be far far better than this Pujols deal.

As a St Louis sports fan, here's hoping the Rams deal works out just as well.
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2016, 01:24:05 pm »

A while back I posted about Hardball Passport, a site which allows you to track baseball games you've been to.

The good news is that the site's been redesigned, and relaunched as Sports Passport (sportspassport.com), with all their previous sites under one roof. So you can put in MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, minor league baseball, NCAA football and men's hoops, and they even added MLS.

The bad news: their old hosting company abruptly turned everything off and shut their doors, and unfortunately the Passport guys didn't have an off-site backup of the old site's database. Meaning that anyone wanting to go to the new site has to enter all their shit AGAIN.

Also, at the moment they only go back to 1990 for most sports, and only 2012 for minor league games. But presumably that'll be improved over time.

I got all my MLB games re-entered, except for the seven pre-1990 games, which I'm itching to do because that's where the awesome "Hall of Famers Seen" mostly come from. Got a bunch of hockey and soccer games still to jam in there. http://sportspassport.com/traveler/carlosdelvaca/stats
I am also the "mayor" of Nationals Park, and will take over RFK Stadium once I enter the DC United games.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up