The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: nDed on July 17, 2007, 09:34:10 am

Title: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on July 17, 2007, 09:34:10 am
(First off, I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a previous thread like this. But if there is, please feel free to pwn my n00b ass.)

So yeah, I guess this thread is to be used by internet people to inform other internet people about video games that are awesome but, for one reason or another, seem to have fallen under the radar for most. Basically this is a recommendations thread, just write a short description of the game, one or two screenshots and maybe some (legal) tips on how to acquire said game if it is not widely available.

My first recommendation is Giants: Citizen Kabuto by Planet Moon Studios. The fact that Planet Moon is founded by people who used to work for Shiny (who were responsible for Earthworm Jim) should give most an idea of what to expect. The game doesn't take itself very seriously, which becomes evident when you realize that the game's main characters, the Meccaryns, basically amount to a bunch of Cockney guys on holiday. Other playable characters include Delphi the Sea Reaper (kind of like evil merpeople?) and the titular giant Citizen Kabuto (well, sort of). Gameplay is pretty much standard third person shooter fare with some RTS base building thrown in. Each character plays diiferently, of course, with the Meccaryns focusing on long range weaponry and squad tactics while Delphi mainly relies on sword and sorcery. Predictably, Kabuto's missions mostly involve eating people and destroying land formations, which is pretty fun. When it was first released, Giants was considered fairly cutting edge in terms of graphics, and I think it still manages to look pleasing despite probably having a lower polygon count than most PS2 games.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/nDed03/aaa.png) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/nDed03/aaa1.png) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/nDed03/aaa2.png)

Availability: Last I checked this game could be found in stores such as CompUSA in the bargain software rack, usually packaged with another game and priced at around $10. There was also a special version packaged with some Geforce 3 video cards that included slightly improved graphical effects and textures, but those are pretty rare.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: side_show on July 17, 2007, 12:50:02 pm
Underappreciated videogame?  I'd say Tetris.  It's so good.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: CortJstr on July 17, 2007, 01:19:04 pm
I'm an Earthbound man, myself. Say "fuzzy pickles!"
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: linnea on July 17, 2007, 02:46:04 pm
The video games I have are already fully appreciated: Tekken, Dance Dance Revolution, Katamari Damacy.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: V-Adore on July 17, 2007, 03:04:34 pm
I'm an Earthbound man, myself. Say "fuzzy pickles!"
Damn, beaten to the punch.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: CortJstr on July 17, 2007, 03:14:48 pm
I'm an Earthbound man, myself. Say "fuzzy pickles!"

Damn, beaten to the punch.

Oh man, is so awesome. All fighting Master Belch. All scaring away ghosts with a band that is clearly The Blues Brothers. Oh, and that reminds me. The Mr. Saturn font is my favorite font ever. BOING!
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Gimpson on July 17, 2007, 03:58:36 pm
I'm too poor/cheap to either keep my PC up to gaming standards or to have anything other than a last-gen console.  That said, I recently found a PalmOS NES emulator and put it on my phone and have been going through a lot of the old Nintendo games I played in junior high to see how they hold up.  I'm really enjoying playing Bionic Commando (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionic_Commando) right now. 
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on July 17, 2007, 04:49:07 pm
Oh man, Earthbound. I'm still waiting for the Mother 3 fan translation (http://www.mother3.org/) to finish already.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Nabubrush on July 17, 2007, 05:50:18 pm
Legend of Kage

What?
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Ben-San on July 17, 2007, 08:36:49 pm
Currently I'm playing Star Ocean: Second Story for the Playstation again. I love games with craft skills and SOSS has a bunch of good ones - in addition to the obvious cooking and smithing and so forth, there's also forgery, writing, art, musical composition and performance.. and then the party members can combine their craft abilities for super craft combos like Orchestra, Publishing, and so forth. Also late in the game there's an Iron Chef competition.

If you get obsessive with the crafting stuff it makes the main body of the game very easy, though, because you've smithed a sword that shoots out a dozen little comets with every swing and sandwiches that fully restore your HP and paintings that transform all your enemies into treasure and so forth.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: V-Adore on July 17, 2007, 08:42:47 pm
Oh man, is so awesome. All fighting Master Belch. All scaring away ghosts with a band that is clearly The Blues Brothers. Oh, and that reminds me. The Mr. Saturn font is my favorite font ever. BOING!

The Mr. Saturn font is great in a language you can read well, but, as I learned while playing through EB in Japanese, it is hell on wheels in a language you read poorly. Even at the slowest text-speed setting, I just kinda gave up on the Saturn-font-hiragana.

Also, a protip for localizers: making the two lead dudes wear a green suit and a red suit and removing "Brothers" from the band name does not make the characters any less obviously the Blues Brothers. It's a hack about on the level of changing alcohol references to coffee references: your ass is covered, but nobody is fooled.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: CortJstr on July 17, 2007, 08:56:27 pm
The Mr. Saturn font is great in a language you can read well, but, as I learned while playing through EB in Japanese, it is hell on wheels in a language you read poorly. Even at the slowest text-speed setting, I just kinda gave up on the Saturn-font-hiragana.

Also, a protip for localizers: making the two lead dudes wear a green suit and a red suit and removing "Brothers" from the band name does not make the characters any less obviously the Blues Brothers. It's a hack about on the level of changing alcohol references to coffee references: your ass is covered, but nobody is fooled.

Does Mach Pizza have a slogan? Does anybody remember what it is?

Am I the other person who wonders what kind of video game uber-mascot would result from cross-breeding a Mr. Saturn with a moogle?
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Nabubrush on July 17, 2007, 09:06:17 pm
I thought this was still an English-language site.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: pmcd9 on July 17, 2007, 10:02:27 pm
Asteroids
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on July 17, 2007, 11:26:01 pm
Am I the other person who wonders what kind of video game uber-mascot would result from cross-breeding a Mr. Saturn with a moogle?

A Mr. Saturn with a bat-winged torso?

Edit: Or perhaps an incipient soup of malformed organs and translucent bones?

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/nDed03/blobgiraffe.jpg)
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Nabubrush on July 20, 2007, 09:04:29 am
Too soon!
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: side_show on July 20, 2007, 02:25:28 pm
Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  WTF?! 
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: linnea on July 20, 2007, 03:08:19 pm
What the fuck is that thing? A teratoma that has been fashioned by the pathologist to form some type of animal with eyes?

Ew, dude. Totally uncalled for. Post a link next time with a "gross, NSFW" warning instead of putting the image in your post.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: dejavroom on July 20, 2007, 03:15:57 pm
It's a deep ocean giraffe, IIRC (with a silly name to boot, because science can be fun). I'm not usually a "face" person, but this one does linger...
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: CortJstr on July 20, 2007, 03:19:59 pm
It does look disturbingly like a Mr. Saturn fetus, though. And based on a quick Google image search (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Mr.+Saturn&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2) he's not the first person to notice this resemblance.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: wombat on July 20, 2007, 06:21:27 pm
What the fuck is that thing? A teratoma that has been fashioned by the pathologist to form some type of animal with eyes?

Ew, dude. Totally uncalled for. Post a link next time with a "gross, NSFW" warning instead of putting the image in your post.

I thought it was kind of cute.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: V-Adore on July 20, 2007, 07:39:32 pm
My impression was a mixture between "ewwww" and "... that's sort of cute," too. I mean, you can't blame a deep-sea giraffe for being ugly. That's just Their Way.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: side_show on July 20, 2007, 07:57:27 pm
There was a child born a few weeks to a month ago without any bones.  It was on the morning news, and my SO and I both shuddered when we heard the story.  He was born alive, in apparently one of the few cases of this happening, and news story that informed me of this indicated the family was awaiting their son's inevitable death.  For some reason, the child in that story is what I thought of when I saw that pic, and thought it was a photo of one of those types of kids.  Hence my horrified reaction.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: V-Adore on July 21, 2007, 12:13:26 am
There was a child born a few weeks to a month ago without any bones.  It was on the morning news, and my SO and I both shuddered when we heard the story.  He was born alive, in apparently one of the few cases of this happening, and news story that informed me of this indicated the family was awaiting their son's inevitable death.  For some reason, the child in that story is what I thought of when I saw that pic, and thought it was a photo of one of those types of kids.  Hence my horrified reaction.
Okay, that's understandable. There is something spine-chilling about the concept of a child being born entirely without bones; I know my mother talked about teaching a girl who was somehow born without functional elbows, and that weirded me out pretty badly. Even within the subcategory of "birth defects that are so bad that the baby will be stillborn or nearly so," birth without bones is eerie.

So... uh... in conclusion, Earthbound was a great game.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: robot_god on July 21, 2007, 12:35:47 am
Anyone ever get the Gutsy Bat?
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on July 21, 2007, 05:22:52 am
It's called a blobgiraffe, for future reference.

Uhhh, so has anyone ever played the No One Lives Forever games?
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on July 21, 2007, 06:35:42 am
NOLF2 is the bizeldy nDed.

I still install it now and then and try to wrangle someone into a co-op mission.

Damnit, now I need to go find that cd.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: melack on July 21, 2007, 06:27:17 pm
Deux Ex.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Limmo on July 21, 2007, 06:38:02 pm
Star Wars: Rebellion.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Ben-San on July 21, 2007, 09:55:12 pm
I downloadedlegally purchased a bundle of "the best SNES games" and have been poking around. Some of it is bringing forth nostalgia, some of it is new to me. Mostly I'm relearning that I'm really, really bad at scrolling shooters and always have been.

Anyway, I spent the last couple of hours playing Super Mario Picross. Picross is pretty fun and relaxing. I can do Picross and will not be killed by a bird.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Lister on July 21, 2007, 11:48:45 pm
Master of Orion II.  Anything with Tim Schaefer involved (Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Psychonauts).
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: theinevitable on July 22, 2007, 12:52:23 am
master of orion-- awesome.

going back and playing old videogames has made me remember that... I basically suck at video games. On many levels.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on July 22, 2007, 02:02:55 am
Seconding Grim Fandango and Psychonauts (awesome). I still haven't played Full Throttle, but I'm sure it's great. Also, all 3 Discworld games are up for download at Home of the Underdogs (http://www.the-underdogs.info). I think they may even have the voice packs.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: V-Adore on July 22, 2007, 03:07:28 am
If we're going to nominate old-school adventure games, can I suggest Loom? That game was damn fun to fail at as a giant group, back in my college days. We, as an entire group of about a dozen highly intelligent 20-year-olds, had to download a walkthrough to get past the twisty wind and the first island.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Ben-San on July 22, 2007, 04:53:35 am
It is because of Loom that I habitually whistle or hum E-C-E-D quietly before the elevator opens.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on July 22, 2007, 07:20:19 am
Yeah Grim Fandango and Psychonaughts definitely (though I've only played the demo of the latter it grips me with intensity and I'll surely buy it off steam one of these days).

Deus Ex though, I don't think you can argue for that being under-rated. Among relatively hardcore gamers it's recognised as one of the best fps's ever.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on July 22, 2007, 03:18:21 pm
Mafia is probably a better gangster simulation than the officially licensed Godfather game. I'm not sure if it really qualifies as under-appreciated, but I don't know many people who have played it. The PC version is probably the best and easiest to find, I have not heard good things about the console ports.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: CortJstr on July 23, 2007, 08:06:50 pm
Anyone ever get the Gutsy Bat?

Nope. It didn't help that the guide that came with the game told you the wrong place to get the bat to begin with.

Mario's Picross was fun. I've found some good Picross games online but they tend to be way harder and require more guessing.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Nabubrush on July 24, 2007, 02:07:34 am
I have a copy of Mafia, and I had high hopes for it. I never could get it off the ground. I remember a console game for the original Nintendo (I believe) in which you were a knight battling other knights, and there was some jousting, and I think there may have been a significant strategy component. I can never remember the name of that game, but it was a kick in the #####.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on July 24, 2007, 03:40:05 am
I have a copy of Mafia, and I had high hopes for it. I never could get it off the ground. I remember a console game for the original Nintendo (I believe) in which you were a knight battling other knights, and there was some jousting, and I think there may have been a significant strategy component. I can never remember the name of that game, but it was a kick in the ******.

So I'm assuming you didn't like Mafia much? Also, did this game about knights involve ostriches in any way (sorry, couldn't resist)?
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: theinevitable on July 24, 2007, 04:22:47 am
I always wanted Mafia back when it was semi-new. I always knew, though, that it seemed like it would be hard.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: arkabee on July 24, 2007, 07:15:49 pm
the marathon series was always underloved.

Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Nabubrush on July 24, 2007, 08:37:26 pm
the marathon series was always underloved.



I rocked Marathon so hard when I first got my PowerPC 7?00 (can't remember the number). I loved the hell out of that game. Trust Ark to bring it up - good call!
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: arkabee on July 24, 2007, 09:05:39 pm
I rocked Marathon so hard when I first got my PowerPC 7?00 (can't remember the number). I loved the hell out of that game. Trust Ark to bring it up - good call!

there's a pc port floating around.

Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on July 24, 2007, 09:16:39 pm
source.bungie.org
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: V-Adore on July 24, 2007, 09:16:58 pm
This thread just reminds me of how much I want to play Lunatic Fringe. For a game that was a screen saver, that was gold.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: theinevitable on July 25, 2007, 12:32:22 am
I don't know if this is/was underappreciated, but lately my brother and I have been playing a lot of Rise of Nations. such good game.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Nabubrush on July 25, 2007, 02:47:15 am
source.bungie.org

Oh the IT guys are going to be pissed about this. Ah well, your fault.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on July 25, 2007, 02:37:34 pm
Why would they be pissed?
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Nabubrush on July 25, 2007, 06:51:17 pm
Why would they be pissed?

Because every time I load software on this computer (which I am more or less expressly forbidden to do) it gets fucked up.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on July 25, 2007, 07:23:41 pm
This is a valid concern.

You don't have your own computer? I can't imagine Aleph One would have very high system requirements.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: arkabee on July 25, 2007, 09:26:22 pm
i was guessing:

expected outcome to statement-> hilarity ensues!!

possible alternative,

nabu, just send them the link and tell them to set up a lan game.

Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: theinevitable on July 25, 2007, 09:45:32 pm
Mafia is... pretty awesome. I like it.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on July 26, 2007, 07:06:02 am
Any true IT guys should be able to install Marathon for you from their copy.
Or quake at the very least.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Nabubrush on July 27, 2007, 03:36:55 am
Any true IT guys should be able to install Marathon for you from their copy.
Or quake at the very least.

Sure, they could. They are too busy playing WoW on their 60 inch plasma screen, the fuckers.

Note to IT guys piggybacking my computer right now and watching me type: please do not destroy my entire computer existence. I need this job.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: theinevitable on July 27, 2007, 05:18:53 am
um, so, I am pretty bad at Mafia.
I am supposed to beat these guys up with bats. But I keep accidentally hitting the guy that is on my side? he steps into my way. and then by the time I get to the guys at the end that you're supposed to shoot... both of us are half dead.

basically, it is hard to hit someone with a bat in this game.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on August 04, 2007, 01:47:29 am
Would anyone like to exchange Wii friend codes? The Mii parade feature intrigues me.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on August 04, 2007, 02:48:41 am
I think this was done somewhere else but I didn't have an internet connected wii at that point so, yes, this is a good plan nDed.
I'm: 3168 7461 1902 4606
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: melack on August 04, 2007, 04:38:24 am
I downloaded the trial version of Marathon: Durandal on Xbox Live Arcade yesterday. Nope! As a console lifer, I have the slimmest of appreciations for old-school PC shooters, let alone old-school Mac shooters.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: AugustWest on August 04, 2007, 04:43:56 am
Does anybody remember Kingdom of Kroz?

How about Imhotep?
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Golfhaus on August 04, 2007, 05:29:26 pm
I think this was done somewhere else but I didn't have an internet connected wii at that point so, yes, this is a good plan nDed.
I'm: 3168 7461 1902 4606

Couldn't they have formatted that a little differently? Seriously, I glanced at that and thought OH FUCK SOMEONE'S GOT THEIR CREDIT CARD OUT THERE.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: troublecat on August 05, 2007, 09:07:41 pm
Harvest Moon.

I know, I know.

There's a bajillion sequels to it, so it can't be *that* underappreciated, but everyone I ask about it seems to hate it.

I think there's something to be said about a game where you start playing, and think, "This has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever played;" then you look up, and eight hours have gone by in what seems to be an instant, all while you've been taking care of your little farm and trying to woo the pink-haired girl.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Nabubrush on August 05, 2007, 09:49:37 pm
We could all learn a lot from the judicious and discerning way troublecat chooses to post.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: melack on August 06, 2007, 06:51:21 pm
True. You can't beat that 2:1 post to tiny can ratio.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: theinevitable on August 06, 2007, 08:05:11 pm
well, it certainly beats my (simplify simplify)

35:1643 Cans:posts ratio. (damn, that is one tough ratio.)

man, maybe I can take a lesson from this.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 06, 2007, 08:17:50 pm
well, it certainly beats my (simplify simplify)

35:1643 Cans:posts ratio. (damn, that is one tough ratio.)

man, maybe I can take a lesson from this.

the lesson is: the cans dont mean anything
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: pmcd9 on August 06, 2007, 09:25:14 pm
the lesson is: the cans dont mean anything

You get a can for that sir.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: side_show on August 07, 2007, 05:30:43 am
Harvest Moon.

I know, I know.

There's a bajillion sequels to it, so it can't be *that* underappreciated, but everyone I ask about it seems to hate it.

I think there's something to be said about a game where you start playing, and think, "This has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever played;" then you look up, and eight hours have gone by in what seems to be an instant, all while you've been taking care of your little farm and trying to woo the pink-haired girl.

Oh man, what platform did you play Harvest Moon on?  I played it on our game cube until it just seemed that nothing was happening, then gave up... does your kid ever grow up?  Get married?  I wanted to know, but just wasn't willing to invest the time.  I put so much time into milking cows and bringing the chickens in and out.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: AugustWest on August 07, 2007, 07:23:20 pm
I put so much time into milking cows and bringing the chickens in and out.

And watering.  Don't forget watering.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: smick on August 07, 2007, 08:38:34 pm
I cut the heck out of some hay. 
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Ben-San on August 07, 2007, 10:02:46 pm
Harvest Moon.

I know, I know.

There's a bajillion sequels to it, so it can't be *that* underappreciated, but everyone I ask about it seems to hate it.

I think there's something to be said about a game where you start playing, and think, "This has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever played;" then you look up, and eight hours have gone by in what seems to be an instant, all while you've been taking care of your little farm and trying to woo the pink-haired girl.

I am a Harvest Moon fan but I kind of get a little too much into it. I've played most of the console variations but not so much ever since I was playing HM: A Wonderful Life and realized I was spending time each game-day just standing in the virtual house, watching my little virtual dude's virtual wife sleep in the morning light. It depressed the hell out of me and I haven't played much Harvest Moon since. (Although I have Magical Melody and what I've played of it was pretty good.)
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: troublecat on August 07, 2007, 10:06:48 pm
Oh man, what platform did you play Harvest Moon on?  I played it on our game cube until it just seemed that nothing was happening, then gave up... does your kid ever grow up?  Get married?  I wanted to know, but just wasn't willing to invest the time.  I put so much time into milking cows and bringing the chickens in and out.

I have two GameCube versions (A Wonderful Life and Another Wonderful Life), but I haven't played them yet.  I've played it on SNES and GBA (Friends of Mineral Town), and both of those versions allow you to get married and have kids (they stay small on the SNES version, but they grow up a little bit in the GBA version).  The main character, as far as I can tell, doesn't seem to age any.  I could just be unobservant, though.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Ben-San on August 07, 2007, 10:17:27 pm
I have two GameCube versions (A Wonderful Life and Another Wonderful Life), but I haven't played them yet.  I've played it on SNES and GBA (Friends of Mineral Town), and both of those versions allow you to get married and have kids (they stay small on the SNES version, but they grow up a little bit in the GBA version).  The main character, as far as I can tell, doesn't seem to age any.  I could just be unobservant, though.

In A Wonderful Life, your child will grow to preadolescence or so, I believe. Your main character and supporting cast will also age, although aging will not affect the main character's capabilities. His hair will gradually start to gray (although the game ends before it goes entirely gray), his face will become more lined, and his lucky bandana will become sun-faded as I recall. Other characters his age undergo similar changes, a few of the older characters in town die, and the children in town grow into adolescence.

Most Harvest Moons don't implement this sort of thing, but most of them either end or go into a time-stasis after a few years anyway.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on August 08, 2007, 07:30:00 am
I think this was done somewhere else but I didn't have an internet connected wii at that point so, yes, this is a good plan nDed.
I'm: 3168 7461 1902 4606

Mine is: 4174 3162 0882 1152

Sorry for the slow response, I am currently in the process of "moving." Anyways, does anyone else have a mysterious "???" block in their Wii system memory?
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: side_show on August 08, 2007, 09:06:42 am
In A Wonderful Life, your child will grow to preadolescence or so, I believe. Your main character and supporting cast will also age, although aging will not affect the main character's capabilities. His hair will gradually start to gray (although the game ends before it goes entirely gray), his face will become more lined, and his lucky bandana will become sun-faded as I recall. Other characters his age undergo similar changes, a few of the older characters in town die, and the children in town grow into adolescence.

Most Harvest Moons don't implement this sort of thing, but most of them either end or go into a time-stasis after a few years anyway.

Oh god.. see I thought I was working toward getting my son married off, or at least getting him to work on the farm.  Also, the old guy's sweet wife died before I quit playing A Wonderful Life.  I kept giving him his favorite food to cheer him up, but he was mostly depressed.  If things just go on like this, I'm pretty glad I stopped.  I really thought I was working toward something.

Also, yeah... all that hay.  Cuddling and washing the cows was pretty cute though.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Ben-San on August 08, 2007, 09:17:25 am
Oh god.. see I thought I was working toward getting my son married off, or at least getting him to work on the farm.  Also, the old guy's sweet wife died before I quit playing A Wonderful Life.  I kept giving him his favorite food to cheer him up, but he was mostly depressed.  If things just go on like this, I'm pretty glad I stopped.  I really thought I was working toward something.

Also, yeah... all that hay.  Cuddling and washing the cows was pretty cute though.


EDIT: Blargh I'm an idiot and thought I had finished playing through A Wonderful Life but had in fact gotten confused with another Harvest Moon and I suck. Checking GameFAQs, the son actually does grow to adulthood and will inherit the farm if his interests develop in that direction.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Nabubrush on August 08, 2007, 04:01:22 pm
Cuddling . . . the cows was pretty cute though.

They sold this game to children?
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: theinevitable on August 08, 2007, 08:07:16 pm
so, um, I want to play these cute games you are talking about. Unfortunately the last nintendy system we have is the 64.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: linnea on August 08, 2007, 08:21:11 pm
so, um, I want to play these cute games you are talking about. Unfortunately the last nintendy system we have is the 64.

Heh! Nintendy gets a tiny can. A guy that I know has a similar affliction, he likes to call Colorado "Coloraddy" and Alaska "Alasky".
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: troublecat on August 08, 2007, 08:30:33 pm
so, um, I want to play these cute games you are talking about. Unfortunately the last nintendy system we have is the 64.

"Nintendy."

I love that.

There's a Harvest Moon for N64 ( http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/game.cmf?gameid=11785 ), but it's a pretty uncommon find (and pricey).
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on August 08, 2007, 09:36:11 pm
All this Harvest Moon talk reminded me of this:
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/nDed03/ach4-1.gif)
from bigzam.com
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Ben-San on August 10, 2007, 08:20:22 pm
I recently got hold of Way Of The Samurai in a game trade with a friend. It's a neat PS2 game that basically amounts to "we thought it would be really cool to be able to play through Yojimbo". Basically you play as a samurai in the Meiji era (1878 specifically) who has come to a small village being torn between the corrupt noble family that's traditionally ruled it and an arrogant band of swordsmen planning to overthrow the government. The game takes place over three days and you pretty much have free run of the town; you can change the outcome of the plot in a bunch of ways depending on where you go, what you do, and so forth - you can join one faction or the other, you can stay neutral and watch things unfold, and of course you can play both sides against each other Yojimbo-style.

The gameplay is pretty good with an emphasis on the swordfighting system, as might be expected. There are also about 40 different swords with different movesets, most of which belong to the named characters; when a character dies, you can take his sword (carrying up to three) and when you start a new playthrough you can take a sword that you had in your inventory when you finished a previous playthrough.

..anyway, I watched Yojimbo again not too long ago and had the urge to find another copy of this game. So I'm pleased that I've done so.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: AugustWest on August 10, 2007, 09:19:46 pm
I rented that once.  Pretty decent.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on August 11, 2007, 02:23:14 am
Way of the Samurai was a non-terrible game. I hear there are two sequels and a Wild West themed spin-off. When the video game industry grows out of the World War II phase I'm hoping Spaghetti Westerns are next.

Here is a thing that I did with a can of spray-paint:
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/nDed03/GC_WHITE1.jpg)
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: side_show on August 11, 2007, 03:40:53 am
Today I saw a game called Chili Con Carnage.  I don't know what it's about, or even remember what system its for... I think a handheld?... anyway, I am appreciating the name of this game.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on August 11, 2007, 03:45:19 am
A cursory Google search tells me that it is about shooting Mexicans. But it's okay because the player character is also Mexican so it's not racist or anything.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Nabubrush on August 14, 2007, 03:18:12 am
I'm enjoying kicking some Diablo again for the first time in since forever. Did anyone play Postal? I had a demo - I enjoyed it (but I'm a sick fuck) but my computer wasn't very happy. Too labor intensive for my little gray box.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on August 14, 2007, 03:25:05 am
Postal 1 or 2? 1 I didn't care for much but I played it years ago and can't remember it that well. The demo for 2 was fun.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Dexter on August 17, 2007, 05:34:18 am
Here is a thing that I did with a can of spray-paint:
(image of Wii and spraypainted-white GameCube controller removed because it's just a few posts above this one and I don't really see the point of including it a second time)
Man, now I'm gonna have to spraypaint my GameCube controller white.

Or maybe spraypaint the Wii black!  Depending on how warranty-voidy and Wii-disassemble-y I'm feeling.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: troublecat on August 17, 2007, 01:43:04 pm
Oh man, am I the only one who thinks the Wii is kind of overloved?

I bought one back in February, thinking "This is going to be the greatest thing EVAR!"  Fast forward about a month, and it's collecting dust.

It might just be the lack of games, though.  The only thing that I'm really interested in that I don't already have is Cooking Mama, and I don't think that I'm $50 worth of interested (even though I love the DS version muchly).
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: gloomba on August 17, 2007, 02:31:33 pm
I think the Wii has a pretty decent amount of interesting stuff on the way before the end of the year (Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Zack and Wiki, Endless Ocean, MySims (maybe), Puzzle Quest, Guitar Hero III, Harvest Moon, Trauma Center 2, Metroid Prime 3).  But yeah, it is in a bit of a drought right now.  Still, the console itself is deservedly loved, I would say.  I was skeptical about the controller, and certainly there are a lot of games that don't use it very effectively, but when it's done right it's really spoiled me for traditional controls.  And I'm having fun with the virtual console, the Miis (although at this point the novelty has worn off since I've made pretty much everyone I know (plus I wish they were actually used in games more often)), and even the other channels, which I didn't think I'd have much use for but have ended up spending a surprising amount of time with.

That said, I seem to be the only person in the world who didn't fall in love with Wii Sports.  It's okay, but not deep enough to make me want to come back and keep playing it.  Zelda was fun, but I wasn't really sold on the controller until I played Trauma Center.

Oh, and talking about underappreciated video games -- if anyone hasn't played Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (or its American equivalent Elite Beat Agents) for the DS, you really should.  I don't know if it's underappreciated since all the critics love it, but I haven't encountered many people who have actually played it.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on August 17, 2007, 03:16:00 pm
Don't forget the new NiGHTS game for the Wii, though that's a little further away. But yeah, there haven't been very many Wii games worth buying lately. For the most part publishers just seem to be adding waggle to existing games and putting them out as quickly as possible, though I'm hoping once the rush to get a slice of the fat Wii money cake subsides there will be more thought put into the controls in future games. And I'm still waiting for all the light gun games to show up, which is weird because it would seem to me that that sort of game would be perfect for the Wii.

Lack of Wii games aside, I think the Virtual Console feature is pretty f'ing great. What would make it even better is if they could find a way to get Saturn games to run on the Wii. I'm hankering for some NiGHTS and Guardian Heroes.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on August 17, 2007, 03:17:00 pm
I agree the Wii doesn't have enough good games but it's the old nintendo problem: Would you buy a 250 dollar system to play Zelda? And I always will.
Though RE4 is brilliant if you've never played it in the original incarnation and there are plenty of games like strikers which I've been told I need to play.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (or its American equivalent Elite Beat Agents) for the DS

This.
I got EBA and even though the songs aren't really to my taste they really grew on me.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: gloomba on August 17, 2007, 03:31:03 pm
Though RE4 is brilliant if you've never played it in the original incarnation and there are plenty of games like strikers which I've been told I need to play.

I actually hadn't ever played ANY of the RE games, except for a very brief go at the Gamecube remake of the first one, during which time the controls and the fact that you have to have an item to save frustrated me so much that I gave up.  I finally decided to try RE4 for Wii since everyone was raving about it and how perfect the control scheme was and it was only $30, and I have to admit it's pretty good.  Unfortunately I'm still pretty bad at it and I seem to have got myself stuck at the part where you and what's-his-name try to defend a cabin from hordes of villagers while Ashley hides in a cupboard.

I've been considering Strikers as well, but I'm conflicted about it because I find most sports games so boring.  On the other hand I really liked Mario Tennis -- but even Mario couldn't get me to enjoy golf, so soccer seems like it could go either way.

Quote
I got EBA and even though the songs aren't really to my taste they really grew on me.

Ditto.  I was turned off at first, but it turns out the lameness of the songs doesn't stop them from being fun to play.  That said, I enjoy the songs in Ouendan considerably more.  But some of the note charts (or whatever you call them) are a little more awkward.  I should really get around to importing Ouendan 2.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on August 17, 2007, 03:45:54 pm
I haven't played Ouendan. I might try to get my hands on 2 but I always shy away from imports because I'm afraid I wouldn't know whats going on. I understand that strikers has only a passing relationship to the 'foots balls'.

The trick to the cabin is to let them bunch up and then loose an incendiary grenade on them.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Ben-San on August 17, 2007, 07:26:30 pm
I got to play a little Super Mario Strikers with friends. I don't like "real" sports games but it's pretty fun. I'm not sure how much fun it'd be single-player, though; we had four players at all times.

(Boos are cheap little bastards, incidentally.)
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: jough on August 18, 2007, 02:44:31 am
The Wii is finally readily available in the Chicago area, and I was thinking of getting one earlier this week when I remembered that I barely have enough time to do the things I already need or want to do.

Still, the thought of playing a new Zelda game is appealing to me...
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on August 18, 2007, 03:05:32 am
Zelda is truly delicious, but I know what you mean about buying games and then never having time to play them.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: gloomba on August 18, 2007, 03:08:37 am
The Wii is finally readily available in the Chicago area, and I was thinking of getting one earlier this week when I remembered that I barely have enough time to do the things I already need or want to do.

Then you're in luck, because most of the current Wii games can be played through in less than an hour!

Oh, but I kid the Wii.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: jough on August 18, 2007, 04:02:29 am
Also, someone said something about Bioshock being like electronic crack and also being available for the PC on Tuesday?

I may have to get me some of that.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on August 18, 2007, 04:05:52 am
Having played the demo this is my assumption also.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 18, 2007, 11:49:48 am
Anyone else play castles and conquest? this thread  got me rehooked on hours of 256 color graphics and plots that theme around Alimarch the Magnificent.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on August 18, 2007, 01:50:49 pm
Bioshock is available on Steam, if you're into that sort of thing. I'd rather have a physical copy, but this game will probably fly off the shelves with all the publicity it's getting. I'm hoping my PC upgrades have not been in vain.

System Shock whuh?
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: gloomba on August 18, 2007, 02:04:15 pm
I haven't played Ouendan. I might try to get my hands on 2 but I always shy away from imports because I'm afraid I wouldn't know whats going on.

Ouendan is quite import-friendly.  The menus are easily navigable without knowing any Japanese (the interface is pretty much the same as EBA's, and all the menu options have little icons indicating what they are).  You won't be able to read the text in the little manga cutscenes, but it's pretty easy to figure it out from context (and if not, that only makes it more amusing).  There's also a translation guide available on GameFAQs.

Basically there's no excuse not to get it, is what I'm saying.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on August 18, 2007, 02:36:20 pm
Bioshock is available on Steam

Yeah I saw this, and normally it would be my purchase method of choice but I don't think my PC will be able to make it looks as pretty as my 360.

Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Ben-San on August 19, 2007, 05:27:56 am
I am playing a whole lot of Persona 3 right now. Persona 2 definitely counts as a great underappreciated game and even though 3 is very different I enjoy it a whole lot.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: jay-ell on August 20, 2007, 03:09:43 am
I think the Wii has a pretty decent amount of interesting stuff on the way before the end of the year

Three words:

Guitar.  Hero.  Three. 
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on August 20, 2007, 05:05:06 am
Three words:

Guitar.  Hero.  Three. 

Yeah  but the old developers (harmonix) aren't working on it anymore, they sold it to activision and have started a new franchise called rock band. Previews indicate it looks like guitar hero turned up to 11.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: gloomba on August 20, 2007, 12:00:35 pm
Since you guys were talking about Harvest Moon a couple of pages back, I wanted to mention that I picked up Rune Factory (the latest incarnation of the Harvest Moon franchise) for the DS a couple of days ago and have quickly become addicted.  The big change is that instead of cows, chickens, sheep, and whatnot, your livestock consists of monsters that you can capture from several different caves.  Each cave also has its own climate, so you can use them to grow crops out of season, if you're willing to fight your way in to water them.  The combination of farming and fighting monsters is a little bit strange, but it kind of works.  It's a nice change of pace when you get bored with the harvesting.

It also has an elaborate intro video with a ridiculous, unintelligible theme song.

The jury's still out, but this may be my favorite Harvest Moon yet.  That said, it takes a certain mentality to enjoy Harvest Moon, and if you're not of that mentality this probably won't change your mind.

Back to the subject at hand: I am eagerly awaiting Guitar Hero III.  I would be eagerly awaiting Rock Band, but we probably won't get a Wii version any time soon, and I'm not really willing to buy another console, especially when both my options come from companies of which I'm not very fond.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on August 20, 2007, 02:21:11 pm
Yeah  but the old developers (harmonix) aren't working on it anymore, they sold it to activision and have started a new franchise called rock band. Previews indicate it looks like guitar hero turned up to 11.

What, Rock Band or GH3? Rock Band is way too expensive for me, and it's for a console I don't even own so that's even more money on top. I'll probably have to talk to three of my friends into pitching in 50 bucks, which might actually be the point.

Uhhh, I once five-starred Jordan on GH2 pretty much on accident.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: jay-ell on August 20, 2007, 02:24:09 pm
I'm just saying, never having been a Sony gamer, I'm thrilled to pieces that I'm finally going to get a chance to play GH without annoying the staff at Best Buy.  I don't care if it's a low-res re-release of the original game...the fact that it's coming to Wii at all is simply marvelous.   
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on August 20, 2007, 02:32:15 pm
I'm just saying, never having been a Sony gamer, I'm thrilled to pieces that I'm finally going to get a chance to play GH without annoying the staff at Best Buy.  I don't care if it's a low-res re-release of the original game...the fact that it's coming to Wii at all is simply marvelous.   

I actually wouldn't mind a re-release of the original Guitar Hero for the Wii as long as they fix the hammer-ons, etc. It would be nice if they could figure out downloadable songs for the Wii, but I'm not sure if the internal storage or SD cards could handle it
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on August 21, 2007, 06:35:43 am
GH is the one they sold, they're working on rock band now.

And I agree, I don't really want to buy rock band, I'm just not sure if Guitar hero 3 will be as good as the previous ones now (I'm another non-sony person who's been hanging out to own it, though I guess I could get a 360 version now if I wanted).
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: theinevitable on August 21, 2007, 02:50:42 pm
um, all I know is that I really, really, really, really want Mass Effect.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on August 21, 2007, 07:34:47 pm
I can't wait for the rushed PC port that is about 3 years too late and has horrible performance issues.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: jay-ell on August 22, 2007, 12:13:52 am
Has anyone mentioned Freedom Force yet? 
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on August 22, 2007, 04:24:53 am
Man-Bot = Emo

I was thinking about getting the second one, but apparently some versions have Starforce which is basically like herpes for your computer.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: jough on August 22, 2007, 04:26:20 am
Played Bioshock today.  Besides the fact that I'm still getting used to the clumsy 360 controller, this game is basically LIQUID JESUS IN A WAFFLECONE.

It's probably not underappreciated, though.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on August 22, 2007, 04:52:26 am
Played Bioshock today.  Besides the fact that I'm still getting used to the clumsy 360 controller, this game is basically LIQUID JESUS IN A WAFFLECONE.

It's probably not underappreciated, though.

I am tempted to buy it on Steam and put my brother's new GeForce 8800 through its paces. I'm at college right now though, and stuck with a crappy laptop (craptop) until Thanksgiving. I've been thinking about getting a 360 eventually, but I'm a little wary of it because of how often these things apparently get bricked. Are the current models any more stable than the early ones?

Maybe we should make a new thread for popular games, or convert this thread into general video game appreciation.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: theinevitable on August 22, 2007, 05:00:12 am
I like the concept of Bioshock, but I cannot handle things that are scary.
And I mean, things that would scare a little kid count as scary.

so, yeah.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Dexter on August 22, 2007, 05:06:16 am
Played Bioshock today.  Besides the fact that I'm still getting used to the clumsy 360 controller, this game is basically LIQUID JESUS IN A WAFFLECONE.

It's probably not underappreciated, though.
It may not be widely underappreciated, but I sure didn't appreciate it!

I fired up Steam and downloaded the demo today and played it for about 30 minutes.  I was not especially impressed; it felt to me like just another FPS.  An extremely nice-looking FPS, with a somewhat unusual (for an FPS) setting, but an FPS nonetheless.  I will grant that my impression may have been colored to a certain extent by my somewhat-inadequate PC, on which Bioshock ran poorly at worst and just barely acceptably at edit: worst best (d'oh) (probably due to the fact that, according to this thing (http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10181/) I stumbled across, it's deep in the no-man's-land between the minimum and recommended requirements), but regardless of whether my assessment of Bioshock as "just another FPS" is fair or not, I ain't droppin' half a Benjamin on a game that runs like crap for me.  (And I don't own an Xbox 360, and even if I did, no way in hell am I playing an FPS with a console controller.)
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: melack on August 22, 2007, 05:14:57 am
I tried to buy Bioshock at Gamestop today but those motherfuckers were sold out -- unless I reserved a copy! Which I did not. After just the first four minutes of the demo, I knew this game is going to be incredible. Of course, when I went to play my 360 tonight, I see all my friends are playing Bioshock. Fuck those guys.

In the end things weren't so bad, because I downloaded the demo for Skate, which looks absolutely awesome. It's going to be compared to Tony Hawk by everyone and their mother for the simple reason that you ride a skateboard in both games. But the similarities really end there. Skate is about ten times more realistic, with totally different control scheme. I really enjoy it, but then again I'm a skater, and I have an appreciation for the little things like balance and positioning your board in anticipation of a grind. I don't need ten million point combos where you gap from building to goddamned building.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Nabubrush on August 22, 2007, 05:23:45 am
I like Bonestorm, and Chumscrubber.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: jay-ell on August 22, 2007, 01:53:37 pm
I liked Ghostmaster.  It was quirky. 
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: melack on August 22, 2007, 02:06:14 pm
Okay, so I was playing the beta for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare yeterday when I thought of a SPECTACULARLY AWFUL joke. Here's how it goes:

Quote
Two guys are playing Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Both are on the same team, but one of them blatantly teamkills the other one. The guy who gets killed says, "Hey, man! I'm on your team here! Don't you know the difference between the good guys and the bad guys?!"

The other guy replies, "Ohhh.... I thought we were playing Call of Duty 4: Postmodern Warfare."
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on August 23, 2007, 10:20:45 am
Now that's comedy, I hope Onstad is taking notes. Cans aplenty for Melack.


I have Bioshock, and a tiny Big Daddy figurine.
Well specifically my flatmate does but since we're playing it on my 360 it's much of a muchness.
So far I find it delicious. I hope this state of affairs continues.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: melack on August 24, 2007, 04:31:21 am
Dropped by Best Buy today -- BioShock's still sold out. I guess I'll order it from Amazon.  Searching every store in the greater San Francisco area doesn't sound too fun.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on August 24, 2007, 07:59:53 am
Searching every store in the greater San Francisco area doesn't sound too fun.

That's the first quest.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: jough on August 24, 2007, 05:38:14 pm
Yeah, you get 10 achievement points just for being able to buy the game the first week.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: melack on August 24, 2007, 07:22:23 pm
I was offered a free copy of the PC version of Bioshock the day of release, too. That's what makes this whole quest so painful. Sometimes I wish I weren't a Mac guy.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on August 24, 2007, 07:47:55 pm
Why didn't you just take it?
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: melack on August 24, 2007, 09:11:31 pm
Because there were three copies to go around the office, and I would have felt like a huge dick if I deprived someone else of an awesome game if I had just taken it and traded it for store credit.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on August 24, 2007, 10:11:22 pm
You could have sold it to a friend at a discount though. Hell, you could just give it to them and maybe you could hassle them into letting you play it every once in a while.

But yeah, I'm assuming people at your office would know you took one without even owning a PC so that was probably the prudent thing to do. I'm just kind of annoyed that I'll miss the Bioshock bandwagon because I currently don't have access to a PC or a 360.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Nabubrush on August 24, 2007, 10:31:37 pm
Conversely, you could have taken all three of them, and gave everyone a poke in the eye for good measure. You probably did the right thing.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: theinevitable on August 25, 2007, 04:34:35 am
I played it for a short period of time and then wussed out. Then I watched this other kid play it for a while. The napalm gun is cool.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on August 25, 2007, 09:48:55 am
Can anyone give me an idea of how long Bioshock is? I just got past the submarine and I'm worried that things seem to be buiding to a head a bit quickly.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: gloomba on August 25, 2007, 01:28:12 pm
I saw some dude commenting on a blog complaining that he finished it in six hours, but that was followed by a ton of other people saying there's no way he beat it in six hours.  What I take away from this is that it probably actually takes longer than six hours, but that your fears of things building to a head a bit quickly may be well-founded.

Of course this is all hearsay, as I haven't played it.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: melack on August 25, 2007, 03:16:11 pm
From what I understand, Bioshock is about 20 hours on average. That's great for an FPS, but considering there's no multiplayer, it makes sense.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: jough on August 25, 2007, 05:49:13 pm
Well, it took me about eight hours to get to the submarine, but I'm not playing it in any hurry to beat it, you know?

I like to take my time, explore, and I still haven't figured out a way to beat the Big Daddies without dying a bunch of times and just getting my three or four shots in each life before being revitalized again.

Great game, and I'm getting used to the controller, although resource management (i.e. the game giving me fuck*ng chores to do] is a pain in the ass.  I want friggin' ammo a' plenty.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: melack on August 25, 2007, 06:07:32 pm
Are you playing on medium difficulty? I'd imagine there would be more ammo on easy, but since the bad guys go down much quicker, it's not like you get to use all of it.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on August 26, 2007, 09:58:15 am
still haven't figured out a way to beat the Big Daddies without dying a bunch of times and just getting my three or four shots in each life before being revitalized again.

Zap em then machine gun fire to the head at a distance for a while, anti-armour if you've got it. Electric shotgun shells work nicely too.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on October 22, 2007, 10:33:35 pm
Sorry to float this bloated corpse of a thread back to the surface, but I hear Tim Schafer's and Double Fine are working on a new game and I just have to tell someone. Apparently it's called Brütal Legend (note decorative umlauts) and Jack Black is attached to the project somehow. From what I can tell it's mostly about heavy metal and killing demons, though I'm sure we can expect a certain amount of wit and humor as well.

Links:
Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%BCtal_Legend)
Trailer (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2WYH2sFCGvE)

Also, does anyone have Team Fortress 2 on PC? I'm not very much into online multi-player shootin', but I got TF2 as part of the Orange Box and have heard good things about it so I would like to try it out with people who are probably not jerks.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Lister on October 23, 2007, 06:51:18 am
Double Fine has the best news page in the history of game company news pages (http://www.doublefine.com/news.php).  Seriously, read the archives even if you don't care about Psychonauts.  You should care, of course, but just in case you don't, you can still read the news.  Which is funny and good.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on October 23, 2007, 08:20:49 am
Wow, Hivemind. My housemate just got psychonaughts at my urging and I decided to look up double fine to see if they were making anything new just last night. I hadn't seen the trailer though.

I have TF2 but since I'm down under the lag might make things unpleasant. My experiences have been pretty good so far, the classes are so distinct that everyone knows what they have to do and pretty much does it. My steam username is Decarabas though if you want to add me.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: nDed on October 23, 2007, 09:53:16 am
My steam username is Decarabas though if you want to add me.

I did a SteamID search on this name but came up with nothing. Maybe this is your username for logging in? SteamIDs are separate from your login details now, I think, which is probably good because my Steam username is kind of embarassing.

My SteamID is nded03, by the way, but you'll probably encounter my brother is using the account because my laptop can't play any games newer than the original Half-Life.
Title: Re: Underappreciated Videogames
Post by: Doc on October 23, 2007, 11:52:08 am
I have a steamID now under Decarabas but I wasn't able to find you. Can exchange e-mails in pm if you like since you can search that way too.