The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: dejavroom on October 21, 2013, 04:11:55 pm

Title: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on October 21, 2013, 04:11:55 pm
If not we do now.

-----------------------------------------
I'll kickstart the thread talking about a very famous and successfull post-punk/new wave band in Brazil, straight outta the 80's, who of course by now are aging, respectable rich men. The band was called Tităs ("Titans"), and they were known for their fiery political/artistic lyrical prowess (the frontman left after a while and became a bona fide figure in the Săo Paulo literary scene with books and shit, actually).

One of their most famous songs is "Bichos Escrotos" ("Disgusting Animals") [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diJMzgpbrI4 ], a lyrical morsel of which we bring to your attention:


"Spotted leopard / Striped zebra / Fluffy bunny: GO FUCK YOURSELVES!"
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Look, it's a "random" thread.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on October 21, 2013, 04:55:32 pm
Made my afternoon, it did.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 21, 2013, 09:29:52 pm
That line you quote reminds me of the great, late and lamented Gilda Radner bit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKxjBsO-Bvk).

That was awesome. Love love love Gilda. Had never seen that before. Thank you for the link.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 25, 2013, 03:42:00 am
A friend of mine posted this link (http://www.bodymindandsoulhouston.com/pages/readers.htm#gish) to her "intuitive guidance sessions." I was nicely told otherwise when I caller her a Fortune Teller. But c'mon, I'm not wrong am I?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 25, 2013, 05:46:55 am
$40 for 30 minutes of talking about my dreams and desires? I'd rather pay less money and just have Ash punch me in the face while telling me to unfuck myself and focus. I think I'd get more out of that.

But no, she sounds less like a fortune teller and more like a wacky kind of motivational coach who will end every session with 'Follow your dreams and you will be happy'. One of her colleagues claims to "go into the blue prints or soul design using light codes, vibration energy and channeled guidance to create shifts". Now that sounds like a party.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on October 25, 2013, 12:51:03 pm
Lonely, anxious people will pay good money to have someone listen to them and give them gentle reassurance. 

It's kind of like being a prostitute, only with less bodily fluids.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on October 25, 2013, 03:07:52 pm
It's kind of like being a prostitute, only with less bodily fluids.
Other than tears, oh - so many tears!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 25, 2013, 04:00:28 pm
anxious people

Oh man, you hit the nail on the head. She posted the link in the comments of a friend who posted "I need to go back to school. What should I be when I grow up?"
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on October 25, 2013, 04:53:55 pm
Lonely, anxious people will pay good money to have someone

Please watch this video. It is a good... video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpZbu7J7UL4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpZbu7J7UL4)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on October 25, 2013, 05:49:07 pm
Back to random nom nom. No explanations, no background info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efAgr7LKNO0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efAgr7LKNO0)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 28, 2013, 09:27:21 pm
Is there a word for a man who must raise a child that is not genetically his? I thought it was cuckold, but that isn't right.
In this story, two men were in a duel and the loser of the duel had a wife and unborn child so the winner feels duty bound to support the wife and raise the child. I'm missing a word to describe the position the dude is in.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 28, 2013, 09:38:32 pm
Good Guy? Role Model? Brother's keeper?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: miles on October 28, 2013, 11:43:16 pm
It would probably also depend on the man's relationship to the widow.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 30, 2013, 02:12:00 am
This is about as Random as it gets. God's Own Dick (http://gawker.com/christian-science-church-looks-like-a-giant-dick-from-s-1454084292?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow) perhaps?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on October 30, 2013, 03:40:24 am
This one (http://www.theonion.com/articles/27yearold-lies-about-every-single-aspect-of-his-li,34382/) hit a little close to home.

I have told my parents constantly over the past 3 years that my schedule is really unpredictable, but they were SURE it would be fine if they booked their flight to visit me a day earlier than we had discussed. Surprise, they get here tomorrow at noon and I have work until 9pm. That is going to be a frustrating shift.

I know that I am melodramatic about things, but in this case they are wrong to assume I am blowing things out of proportion. I asked for thursday and friday off, and they booked their flight for wednesday and were upset when I told them I wouldn't be free.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on October 30, 2013, 06:29:37 am
This is about as Random as it gets. God's Own Dick (http://gawker.com/christian-science-church-looks-like-a-giant-dick-from-s-1454084292?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow) perhaps?
The Lord works in mysterious ways.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 01, 2013, 03:59:09 pm
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/31/inside-china-nuclear-submarines-capable-of-widespr/
Quote
"Chinese calculations for nuclear attacks on the U.S. are chillingly macabre.

“Because the Midwest states of the U.S. are sparsely populated, in order to increase the lethality, [our] nuclear attacks should mainly target the key cities on the West Coast of the United States, such as Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego”

Sleep tight, Ash!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on November 01, 2013, 04:05:01 pm
I know that I am melodramatic about things, but in this case they are wrong to assume I am blowing things out of proportion. I asked for thursday and friday off, and they booked their flight for wednesday and were upset when I told them I wouldn't be free.

Please dopeslap your parents for me. Thanks.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on November 01, 2013, 06:27:49 pm
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/31/inside-china-nuclear-submarines-capable-of-widespr/
Sleep tight, Ash!
I presume we have similar plans for nuclear strikes on China, and wouldn't waste much time turning the Gobi into glass either, with all the low hanging fruit on their eastern coasts.  Hopefully they are happy draining our pockets of cash, and won't feel the need to kill the golden goose.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on November 01, 2013, 08:42:53 pm
Grew up next to the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Depository (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Weapons_Station_Seal_Beach) back when they stockpiled nuclear devices and made my bones with being radioactive dust when the balloon goes up long ago.

I misread. Thought you said you had radioactive bones.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 04, 2013, 06:34:19 pm
I misread. Thought you said you had radioactive boners.

FTFY
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on November 04, 2013, 07:45:42 pm
FTFY

Now that's some rad chiles.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on November 04, 2013, 08:37:07 pm
The Hulk!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on November 09, 2013, 04:40:10 pm
They forgot the milk. (http://www.quirky.com/shop/619-Egg-Minder-Smart-Egg-Tray)
Title: Solving a Problem that Doesn't Exist
Post by: pmcd9 on November 09, 2013, 09:35:29 pm
They forgot the milk. (http://www.quirky.com/shop/619-Egg-Minder-Smart-Egg-Tray)

I've been meaning to talk about these sorts of things that are becoming popular in today's world. This is a perfect example of someone solving a problem that doesn't exist. This might even be a better example than the one I've had in mind for awhile, the butter bell. A banana hanger is another good one.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 11, 2013, 02:24:00 pm
Not to mention the banana slicer. The reviews are priceless. http://www.amazon.com/Hutzler-571-Banana-Slicer/dp/B0047E0EII
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on November 12, 2013, 07:13:05 am
The reviews for banana hammock (http://amzn.com/B00BMVLHE4)  do not disappoint.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on November 12, 2013, 06:30:21 pm
(http://i.imgur.com/qUXCKiY.jpg)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on November 17, 2013, 04:55:33 pm
FAUSTUS. Stay, Mephistophilis, and tell me, what good will my soul
do thy lord?

MEPHIST. Enlarge his kingdom.

FAUSTUS. Is that the reason why79 he tempts us thus?

MEPHIST. Solamen miseris socios habuisse doloris.80
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on November 20, 2013, 01:51:28 am
Maybe if she tried harder to take their perspective and listen, Nicki would learn that bitches ARE shit and they ARE saying something. One hundred motherfuckers COULD tell her something.

(that hook is the truest earworm the world has ever known.)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on November 20, 2013, 07:57:14 am
This article (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/20/us/in-neighborhoods-like-north-st-louis-gunfire-still-rules-the-night.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0) is mostly about the neighborhood where my internship was.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on November 21, 2013, 04:43:09 pm
“Do not meddle in the affairs of bards, for you are silly and would make a funny song.”
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on December 03, 2013, 02:29:47 am
(http://www.lememe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/mona-lisa-hairdude.jpg)

NO
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 03, 2013, 04:26:24 am
...Mona Hipsta?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Choop on December 03, 2013, 04:36:13 am
"Ugh. Only my mom still calls me Mona, and only when she's pissed. Daddy and the rest of the family have called me Lisa since I was like six. All my friends call me Lis, like lease a car? You know? So what are you doing, like, making a reality show or something? Oh shit, I'm late for my shrink. Anyway this was fun, give Leo your number for me. Gotta go!"
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on December 06, 2013, 04:05:51 am
Energy dissipation doesn't affect only biological systems. It is enmeshed in the system. The Universe is winding down, and if you are in the spacetime continuum (whether you are a biological brain, a hard drive filled with digital brains that were uploaded, a recently painted wall or the Monalisa) sooner or later you'll get fucked. So wise the fuck up to the contingencies at hand.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 06, 2013, 04:19:39 am
I heard a terrible band tonight while visiting my hometown. It was just a bad thing. Live music——has it always been such a grab bag? I had excellent chicken wings and beers though. If you are ever in Canada, drink some Picaroons. I live in the hometown of that beer, and it's a real treat, even if the local music is shit.

Anyway, I have had myriad libations, so it's time for bed.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on December 06, 2013, 10:59:31 am
(https://24.media.tumblr.com/b0bf24080e02ad81439d9749312c3087/tumblr_muqop4nrh21rz7tjto1_500.jpg)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on December 06, 2013, 02:40:12 pm
(http://24.media.tumblr.com/76c50e68492b17722bc0abd45c7a1f96/tumblr_mxe39o2QUH1qzryvmo1_500.jpg)

http://www.colorsmagazine.com/blog/article/twilight-of-the-yahoo-yahoo-boys (http://www.colorsmagazine.com/blog/article/twilight-of-the-yahoo-yahoo-boys)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on December 06, 2013, 03:39:05 pm
http://www.mit.edu/~ruchill/lazycurator.submit.html (http://www.mit.edu/~ruchill/lazycurator.submit.html)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on December 06, 2013, 06:25:28 pm
(http://24.media.tumblr.com/76c50e68492b17722bc0abd45c7a1f96/tumblr_mxe39o2QUH1qzryvmo1_500.jpg)

http://www.colorsmagazine.com/blog/article/twilight-of-the-yahoo-yahoo-boys (http://www.colorsmagazine.com/blog/article/twilight-of-the-yahoo-yahoo-boys)
The real news here is that we have discovered who is keeping Blackberry in business.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 06, 2013, 06:52:02 pm
"here let me bing that for you on my blackberry brand blackberry"
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on December 07, 2013, 05:59:47 pm
"Violence of the Lambs": One of the best pieces I've read all year: http://www.gq.com/news-politics/big-issues/200802/john-jeremiah-sullivan-violence-lambs-future-human-race (http://www.gq.com/news-politics/big-issues/200802/john-jeremiah-sullivan-violence-lambs-future-human-race)

"In America, where animals have perhaps a freer recourse to weapons, at least four people have been shot by their dogs in the past two years."

"The jogger in southeastern North Carolina who witnesses saw get surrounded on the boardwalk by a squadron of oversize male hermit crabs, which approached him, kung fu style, with that one bulging claw forward, and appeared to attempt to drive him off a pier."

But there's so much more.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 08, 2013, 04:48:20 am
so uh I haven’t been mallward in quite some time & I would like to go buy some items. However, I'm wondering if the youths of public places are still into wearing those 3D glasses with the lenses popped out like it's a thing.
I figure if Ima break this semi-eremitic seclusion of mine any time soon I don't really wanna deal with that nonsense at the same time as Xmas music.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 08, 2013, 05:08:18 am
(https://31.media.tumblr.com/c51d4091a45d5c16e4f7aaadcba0693d/tumblr_mxgmescQxv1qabj53o1_500.jpg)

Randomly amused as fuck by this.

Oh yeah, that gave me a chuckle as well.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 08, 2013, 05:22:36 am
oh mister dan, how I wish I meant this:

(http://img.jafaloo.com/2011/10/3dglass.jpg)

and not this shit:

(http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l70qqrraRm1qbvx79.jpg)

It was a bafflingly for-real thing, and I hope I don't have to correct myself to the present tense.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on December 08, 2013, 12:52:15 pm
There's just no end to fuckery. Most likely the old fad will have faded, to be replaced by another, more annoying, fad.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on December 08, 2013, 02:10:41 pm
(http://25.media.tumblr.com/1f77c77f73cec74d436b20d82e23e6ba/tumblr_mxhqfy3A7C1qzryvmo1_1280.jpg)

somebody goofed.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on December 08, 2013, 04:45:19 pm
People at work always ask if my glasses are "real." Yeah, i need them to see.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 08, 2013, 05:36:56 pm
People at work always ask if my glasses are "real." Yeah, i need them to see.
They're telling you they think you're a hipster.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 08, 2013, 05:38:31 pm
(https://31.media.tumblr.com/c51d4091a45d5c16e4f7aaadcba0693d/tumblr_mxgmescQxv1qabj53o1_500.jpg)

Randomly amused as fuck by this.

Hahaha.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on December 08, 2013, 06:53:27 pm
All of my hipster friends have real glasses. The only people I know with fake glasses are black ladies at my job.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on December 09, 2013, 08:03:19 pm
It seems to be a thing among some of the younger Vietnamese, Korean, and Chinese folks at my workplace.  Mostly designer frames with non-prescription lenses (occasionally explained as being for lab safety), but one guy doesn't even bother with lenses at all.  Also, skinny jeans and shaggy hair.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: doomglobe on December 11, 2013, 08:38:05 pm
I have a few 'Tităs' songs on various mixes... I always liked them but was never sure how they got there or where from. Now I know. Thanks Obama.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on December 12, 2013, 03:22:42 am
This (http://www.lememe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/radiohead-chan.jpg)

=

this:
(http://achewood.com/comic.php?date=06292004)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 12, 2013, 06:09:28 am
It seems to be a thing among some of the younger Vietnamese, Korean, and Chinese folks at my workplace.  Mostly designer frames with non-prescription lenses (occasionally explained as being for lab safety), but one guy doesn't even bother with lenses at all.  Also, skinny jeans and shaggy hair.

Glasses with no lenses still provide some protection, to a narrow band of skin around the eyes. It's better than nothing.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on December 12, 2013, 02:09:14 pm
Guy with mucho excelento sense of humor lures paedophiles into believing he's a 14-year old girl. www.shortandhappy.com/amber/chatlogs.htm (http://www.shortandhappy.com/amber/chatlogs.htm) In the offchance that someone around here didn't know about this (it's internet pre-cambrian stuff).
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: doomglobe on December 14, 2013, 07:53:20 am
that was k thor jensen i BELIEVE. I AM TYP;ING WITH GLOVES ON AS AN EXPERIMENT SP ACCIDENTALLY hit caps lock and onlhy just realized it was pk to turn it back off and thawt wluld not be cheating.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Choop on December 14, 2013, 09:17:22 am
deleted -- wow, sorry about that. i posted at 5.17am, completely hammered. it was rude and mean and not even funny. i'm sorry.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on December 17, 2013, 01:31:16 am
(http://25.media.tumblr.com/439ddf6b774fa4cf2e98a7a38d8eaee8/tumblr_mny5qmL6pL1rbin8so1_500.jpg)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on January 02, 2014, 01:25:54 pm
"Keanu Reeves" sounds like "What a horrible year" in Portuguese.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 02, 2014, 07:56:19 pm
I've been watching a lot of British television lately and I've noticed a particular accent that is when a British actor pretends to be an American.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 02, 2014, 07:57:03 pm
"Keanu Reeves" sounds like "What a horrible year" in Portuguese.

It does in English too.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 02, 2014, 07:57:26 pm
(http://25.media.tumblr.com/439ddf6b774fa4cf2e98a7a38d8eaee8/tumblr_mny5qmL6pL1rbin8so1_500.jpg)

I'm a virtuoso!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: doomglobe on January 04, 2014, 10:03:13 pm
deleted -- wow, sorry about that. i posted at 5.17am, completely hammered. it was rude and mean and not even funny. i'm sorry.

how could something rude AND mean not also be funny?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Choop on January 04, 2014, 11:03:41 pm
you just gonna have to trust me on that one bro
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on January 06, 2014, 07:05:51 pm
You're doing it wrong (http://citycyclops.tumblr.com/image/49137473469).
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on January 06, 2014, 07:09:05 pm
Please, assman is so vulgar. I prefer Booty Dude.

(is "booty daddy" better?)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on January 06, 2014, 11:38:57 pm
Butt Pirate?  Or is that something else...
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 07, 2014, 08:16:47 am
Bottom Feeder.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 07, 2014, 01:52:36 pm
Dear everybody on Facebook,

Yes, it's cold. We get it.

Thanks,
CDV
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on January 07, 2014, 07:59:25 pm
It
It is? Where (http://www.weather.com/weather/today/92861)?



Fuck off.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 07, 2014, 08:48:23 pm
Fuck off.

Word
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2014, 12:08:00 am
Wow, so you're telling me that where you grew up in (Minneapolis/Chicago/Boston/NYC) they are much better about plowing streets? The one time a year it snows heavily here, we don't do as good of a job plowing as they do in (Minneapolis/Chicago/Boston/NYC)? Amazing! Wow, you're right, we sure are some big fuckups. We should definitely invest a lot of money in a fleet of plows that we'll use twice a year.

Even worse are the fuck*ng yankees complaining about this in Charlotte. Wow, you're right, I'll bet places where it snows more than once a year ARE better at plowing.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2014, 12:49:14 am
I'm sure! I think I will really love to hate either LA or Bay Area people (laid back? yuppies? snotty hipsters?). I could also really hate Boston people (that accent? drivers? rude northeastern attitude?).
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2014, 02:14:57 am
I don't have cable so I've been waiting for Inev to come to Netflix.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 08, 2014, 04:40:34 am
back home its like 7/-5 and snowy.  meanwhile its about 40 and cloudy here in oregon.  im not sorry.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2014, 01:22:50 pm
I could also really hate Boston people (that accent? drivers? rude northeastern attitude?).

Maybe I lived there so long everything just came to seem normal but the Boston area doesn't seem such a rich vein to mine. I think we need to root for Inev in California.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2014, 06:09:55 pm
As a southerner with Northern roots, the Northeast is mysterious to me. Everything is so close together, and old (for the US), and the people are famously rude. This scares me. My friends from Boston and NYC all seem very sophisticated and grown up. Or rather, they did at 18. My roommate is from Boston, and he says he feels like when he is walking down the street in Boston he always has his guard up. He is amazed that when he is in St Louis people so rarely yell at him. Whereas coming from suburban Charlotte, I am amazed at how often people here yell at me.

I am worried, because I only feel really good about my MIT application. I did that one last, and made big changes to my essay that made it a lot better. The one I sent to Berkeley/UCLA/UNC might have been a little bit of a mess. I tried to talk about too many different things and it got very disjointed.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 08, 2014, 06:34:28 pm
and the people are famously rude.

Maaaaaaaaaan, FUCK you.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2014, 06:45:42 pm
I am worried, because I only feel really good about my MIT application.

Well if you are forced to get a degree from MIT, I think this is not exactly what you would call a problem.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on January 08, 2014, 11:21:36 pm
My coworkers daughter just got accepted to MIT and Caltech.  He himself graduated from Caltech, but he's trying not to sway her one way or the other.  Either way, he says, "My bank account is hosed"
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on January 09, 2014, 04:27:52 am
(http://i.imgur.com/QqGZplZ.jpg?1)

Don't worry, you can laugh at us when we catch fire.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 09, 2014, 04:31:50 am
The worst is past here in Houston. It's gonna be nice tomorrow.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 09, 2014, 04:48:13 pm
(http://i.imgur.com/QqGZplZ.jpg?1)

Don't worry, you can laugh at us when we catch fire.

its like 40 degrees here near portland.  thats not bad.  its like, early spring chilliness, AFAIC.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 10, 2014, 04:00:08 pm
There's no way to tell a particular FB friend "You post WAY too many frickin' selfies!" without sounding like a dick, is there?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Choop on January 10, 2014, 04:13:50 pm
just like there's no way to tell a particular FB friend "you post WAY too many upworthy links" without sounding like a dick.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on January 10, 2014, 04:19:22 pm
Facebook has become a really nice place to be after I unfollowed 90% of my "friends". A bit uneventful, maybe, but *that's actually a good thing*.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 10, 2014, 05:06:51 pm
I've unfollowed quite a number of people lately. All of the worst offenders are gone. There is still work to do though.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 10, 2014, 05:13:28 pm
There's no way to tell a particular FB friend "You post WAY too many frickin' selfies!" without sounding like a dick, is there?

You think you got it bad.

There's no way to tell a particular FB friend "You post WAY too many links to random Liza Minnelli and/or Davey Jones ephemera" without sounding like a dick, is there?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 10, 2014, 05:40:35 pm
Man, I just spent the last 15 min. running down my wall, straight up looking for people to unfollow. FB life is getting better.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on January 10, 2014, 05:42:35 pm
ALSO: my superpower is to take even the most innocuous and innocent of comments and make them come off kinda aggro and dick-ish.
And yet the Asset Bar orphans still keep wandering in here and finding you loafered up and sporting a zippered sweater.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 10, 2014, 06:00:44 pm
You think you got it bad.

If I showed you her picture, you'd agree with me. This ain't the former NFL cheerleader friend I'm complaining about, OK, quite the opposite.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 10, 2014, 07:11:55 pm
If I showed you her picture, you'd agree with me. This ain't the former NFL cheerleader friend I'm complaining about, OK, quite the opposite.

Okay you win. The Liza Minnelli/Davey Jones lady that I just unfollowed also takes lots of selfies, but she's fairly good looking.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 14, 2014, 03:09:34 pm
Can YOU conquer the Honey Tunnel? (http://www.xratedrun.com/)

I have a couple of friends that just might be interested in that.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on January 14, 2014, 08:39:28 pm
Goddam, the husky is a big puddle of lazy.

SUPPLY YOUR OWN HEADLINES:
Sigh, why can't I just wake up with the water in me?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on January 22, 2014, 01:09:39 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5KvJjI21i0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5KvJjI21i0)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on January 23, 2014, 11:07:04 pm
That isn't a giant cleaver the girl in the back row is wielding, is it?
Because - castration anxiety.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 27, 2014, 07:38:57 pm
You wanna know what kind of weekend it was?

Courtesy of our old friend Nabu, who has forsaken us for Facebook, it was a Black Sabbath weekend. He posted this (http://youtu.be/wdZBU7pqKJA) incredible show from 1975. Black Sabbath weekend drew to a close with Ozzy babbling incoherently on the Grammys.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on January 27, 2014, 09:10:07 pm
IT WAS THIS KIND OF WEEKEND!
What did the crapper do to get put on timeout?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on January 28, 2014, 04:23:59 am
It's been my experience that juvenile humor is lost on wives when decor is involved.  Plan B could be dynamiting it somewhere remote though.
That does not look like a low-flow toilet.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on January 29, 2014, 12:06:49 pm
(https://31.media.tumblr.com/f854c2c0f34b57ed1893511fd3391222/tumblr_n05wao8N5v1qzryvmo1_500.jpg)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 29, 2014, 11:37:00 pm
When did the crack of dawn become the butt crack of dawn? Can we stop saying that now, please?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on January 30, 2014, 12:24:11 am
I know my family gets it from my aunt. Circa the early 90s.

I must have become a lot more uptight in college, because I never noticed how many weird vulgar things like that my parents say until recently.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: CortJstr on January 30, 2014, 03:26:22 pm
When did the crack of dawn become the butt crack of dawn? Can we stop saying that now, please?

I've always heard this as "ass crack of dawn." I first heard it in the 90s, usually in reference to something fun. "We're going to this fun festival but we have to leave at the ass crack of dawn because it starts at 9 and it'll take us a couple hours to get there."
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 06, 2014, 01:14:08 am
I'm giving you a tiny can to pass on to your son.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on February 06, 2014, 02:29:55 am
Did he get his little brother to do the child size footprints leading to it, because that is inspired stuff right there
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on February 06, 2014, 11:20:20 am
Quote
Did he get his little brother to do the child size footprints leading to it, because that is inspired stuff right there

Oh yeeshh.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 06, 2014, 05:35:31 pm
A thing I have always wanted to do: When the Mormon missionaries show up at the door, invite them in, and pull chairs into the middle of the floor for them. As they are talking, get out the duct tape and start marking a pentagram on the floor around the chairs. If they ask what I'm doing, say "This? Oh, nothing, don't worry about it. Please, continue, it's very interesting." If that doesn't send them screaming out of the house, when the pentagram's done say "Could you hang on a minute? I need to get some candles. And some... other things."
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 06, 2014, 07:14:12 pm
That's brilliant, Mayor.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 13, 2014, 11:35:08 pm
[[drool]]
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on February 14, 2014, 03:09:19 pm
Capybaras that look like Rafa Nadal. (http://capybarasthatlooklikerafaelnadal.tumblr.com/)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on February 14, 2014, 03:42:06 pm
I don't know who that guy is but it's brilliant anyway.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on February 27, 2014, 07:36:26 pm
The juxtaposing of authoritarian symbols with punk is making me dizzy.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 27, 2014, 08:31:09 pm
Black Flag cop car!

Black Flag cop car!

(https://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6rd7lwXrb1qzqc6po1_500.jpg)

OHHH MY HEART'S A'S'PLODING FOR THIS BLACK FLAG COP CAR!

Is this your photo? Go find the person who owns this car and tell them about artcars.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: nDed on February 27, 2014, 11:02:22 pm
Liar Town, USA. (http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/) NSFW.

(http://i.imgur.com/cJZSDhv.png)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Choop on March 11, 2014, 04:54:01 pm
jesus that looks just like my neighbor
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 11, 2014, 05:34:16 pm
jesus that looks just like my neighbor

Your neighbor's great grand daughter perhaps?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on March 11, 2014, 05:40:06 pm
Looks like she has a brick wedged in her head.  Hard core.
I guess back in the day they hadn't though of including a height chart in mug shots.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: colmore on March 11, 2014, 08:22:00 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZu097wb8wU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZu097wb8wU)

Jazz should always be that much fun.  I miss New York.


Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 13, 2014, 11:05:33 pm
You jam econo Ash?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 14, 2014, 04:59:47 am
I don't know what the hell y'all are talking about.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 14, 2014, 05:39:26 am
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HmKGusadv08
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on March 21, 2014, 02:26:25 am
HOLY FUCK-BALLS (http://www.beattheblerch.com/)

I really have to think about this.

This may be where I take on my buddy who's been giving me shit about gutting it up and running a half.

If that weren't like, across a continent from me, I could be innerested.

What would this be like if Onstad did it?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 21, 2014, 02:35:06 am
What would this be like if Onstad did it?

Probably something like this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01112006).
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Choop on March 21, 2014, 03:53:35 am
jesus achewood was good in naughty-six
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2014, 06:47:19 pm
Did Pam lose a bunch of weight?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Choop on March 24, 2014, 06:57:39 pm
i'm really enjoying this season. it isn't that she dropped weight, she picked up a habit. the last episode was maybe the best of the season, it really felt like they hit the groove.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2014, 08:41:15 pm
The following is a snippet of a phone conversation I just had...

"Let me speak to your automotive department, please."

"Do you mean the tire and lube area?"

"Sure."

"We don't have one of those."
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on March 24, 2014, 08:55:23 pm
That conversation feels very familiar to me, somehow.

I have a lot of strange arguments with customers about where the "restaurant" is. If I tell them where they can get hot food made to order, they come back and complain that it wasn't a restaurant, it was a takeout counter. If I tell them we don't have a restaurant, but we have a takeout counter, they say "that's what I meant!" like I'm being a smartass pedant.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2014, 10:13:52 pm
Here's the entire conversation...

"Hello, Height's Wal-Mart. How may I help you?"

"Let me speak to your automotive department, please."

"Do you mean the tire and lube area?"

"Sure."

"We don't have one of those. It's just have an automotive department."

(sarcastically) "Okay, let's try that then."

"Hold please."

Wait... Wait... Wait... phone disconnects.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on March 25, 2014, 03:49:26 pm
^coconut crabs are scary dudes. they'll steal your basketballs and joust with your cats. Thank hoss they largely chill in southeast asia.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on March 25, 2014, 05:44:22 pm
I wonder if they taste good.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2014, 05:46:59 pm
There was a survival show where this dude lived on a desert island for 60 days and he ate one of those things. He was happy to have it, but then he'd been eating mainly sticks for the past week so yeah.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on March 25, 2014, 06:57:25 pm
Quote
...gets his first taste after a night of clubbing with Tahitian transsexuals, but the recipe...
That is not a phrase one sees often.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on March 25, 2014, 09:58:46 pm
It's a moral imperative.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 26, 2014, 04:14:23 am
You must!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 01, 2014, 07:26:55 pm
Best April Fools gag ever.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: dejavroom on April 07, 2014, 02:20:29 pm
jonrafman.com/betamale/ (http://jonrafman.com/betamale/)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on April 07, 2014, 02:32:40 pm
jonrafman.com/betamale/ (http://jonrafman.com/betamale/)

Well, that was disturbing.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 07, 2014, 05:44:29 pm
Well, that was disturbing.

Yikes!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on April 07, 2014, 06:03:40 pm
I was ok, if creeped out, until the vacuuming furry walked onscreen.  Is this hikikomuri?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 26, 2014, 05:14:39 am
Cliven Bundy is like a train wreck that just keeps wrecking. I'm talking of course about the Nevada cattle rancher who has been stiffing the government for decades on grazing fees to have his cattle graze on public land. And when the Feds came to seize his cattle he brought an armed militia to chase them away. Yesterday he made a terribly racist remark. Today his apology made it so much worse.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 02, 2014, 04:11:34 pm
She died happy.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Choop on May 03, 2014, 08:56:29 pm
Dinner Porn (http://www.soshiok.com/content/hungry-dinner-porn)

it might be neat to have like a weekly cooking show this way, but i can't imagine just eating for a camera.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on May 05, 2014, 05:02:17 pm
So, this time I grabbed a guy by the nuts:
Vernon Davis does not approve:
(http://i.imgur.com/A40sZix.gif)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 12, 2014, 01:57:02 pm
Any interaction with Neko Case is kind #hawt.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 15, 2014, 04:49:45 am
Is it weird that Neko Case yelling at me on Twitter was kinda #HAWT.

What's all this, then?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 15, 2014, 02:25:38 pm
https://twitter.com/AndyHoodward/status/462325458059526144
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 15, 2014, 05:47:40 pm
Cool! I was close enough to touch her (http://youtu.be/vk1Fmzc-ykA) once. Miles was there too, but he hung in the back.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on May 15, 2014, 06:49:51 pm
SSS = Shoot, Shovel, & Shut up?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 16, 2014, 02:16:15 pm
OH SNAP JOUGH JUST GOT CALLED OUT. #3.
http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2014/05/donald-sterling-slippery-slope.html
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2014, 03:17:55 am
Your dreams can become reality
(http://i.imgur.com/knWBLtP.jpg)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 26, 2014, 02:42:22 pm
Same shopping center as this place, right?

(http://www.bsideblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/harmacy-sarah-foy.jpg)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 28, 2014, 10:53:22 pm
Good Lord!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on May 29, 2014, 09:00:39 pm
That is the only reasonable reaction.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on May 29, 2014, 09:09:24 pm
Yeah. I tried to think of a response but Paul said it all.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 30, 2014, 04:40:31 am
Did I lay down some wisdom? That happens so rarely these days.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 16, 2014, 08:12:57 pm
Cathy... have Henry Rollins' retarded baby, Cathy.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: doomglobe on June 18, 2014, 07:17:50 am
Those look like axe handle blisters. Or maybe a sledge hammer? Were you doing work?


What a great excuse though. "I was whackin', I swear!"
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on June 18, 2014, 09:04:03 pm
Its often better to wait until the job is done before you take an actual look.  Especially if someone's watching.  They might prioritize things differently.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 24, 2014, 08:52:22 pm
During some recent Ash post, the phrase I thought but didn't post for some dumb-ass reason was "[Ash's last name] by birth, Spud by the grace of God."
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on July 25, 2014, 06:07:26 am
Sweet Sticker!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on July 25, 2014, 01:56:22 pm
Sweet Sticker!

Yes.  Yes it is.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on August 02, 2014, 01:22:36 am
I feel like Ash must have this posted on a wall somewhere.
(http://33.media.tumblr.com/550225434a69a44dc5cbe014faf98b8b/tumblr_my6sxpinpg1qz5hh4o1_500.jpg)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on August 02, 2014, 06:31:41 am
I just realized that Aioli is foodie douchespeak for mayonnaise.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on August 02, 2014, 12:11:32 pm
To be fair, aioli is mayo with a shit-ton of garlic in it, and it's probably not a bad idea to have a different word for that.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on August 20, 2014, 01:19:26 pm
Reloading road flares now, are you?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on August 21, 2014, 05:04:53 am
Reloading road flares now, are you?

I was all like, well that's never crossed my mind, but sure why not, but then I was like now wait a minute, that's not possible. You tricked me counselor.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on August 26, 2014, 05:20:44 am
My old roommate (the one that went to Wombat's old school) wrote this fantastic thing (http://bklynr.com/the-sorry-state-of-brooklyns-libraries/) at some point in the past and I just now read it. It's about Brooklyn, but I think it captures a lot of what I think about urban issues in general. Theoretically about public libraries, it really addresses the question of who a city ought to serve. I am also a big fan of this publication, started by a friend of his, the purpose of which is basically "write in-depth articles about Brooklyn that do not mention trendy cafes or hip bands. And pay the writers."
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on August 26, 2014, 11:33:35 am
That reminds me that I have been wishing I could find someone else who would appreciate this thing I stumbled upon. Inev, don't you watch anime?
http://likeagiraffeinwater.com/category/weekly-review-of-transit-place-and-culture-in-anime/ (http://likeagiraffeinwater.com/category/weekly-review-of-transit-place-and-culture-in-anime/)

edit: Ugh. De-filterify that link as needed.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on August 26, 2014, 04:31:08 pm
whaaaat this is great!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on August 26, 2014, 04:47:27 pm
It is pretty amazing. I am glad that it actually doesn't tempt me to watch the anime, because it's going to take enough time just to read all the blog entries. But I feel like this is a perfect extraction of just the things I would like in those anime, without me having to sit through them.

The non-anime posts are good too, but maybe you need to have been there... You should go to Tokyo, it would be very educational. Do you write a thesis in the program you're in? Surely you can think of a topic that you could research there.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on August 26, 2014, 08:31:18 pm
No thesis. We have to do two "studio" classes which are big group projects for real clients (usually local municipalities that need help with some kind of planning issue), but no thesis. I will definitely try to get to Tokyo, several of my friends went last year and rave about it.

When I moved in my roommate surveyed my stuff and asked if I'm "one of those people who is really into Japanese stuff." Oh nooooo.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on August 26, 2014, 11:11:05 pm
Maybe after graduation I can get a fancy NYC real estate job and fly to Tokyo for fun.

The gagging sensation I felt when reading the Real Estate section of the NYT might suggest I don't have it in me.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on August 27, 2014, 12:27:16 am
When I moved in my roommate surveyed my stuff and asked if I'm "one of those people who is really into Japanese stuff."

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Is this one of those people who said it was normal for bugs to get in the window screens?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on September 03, 2014, 03:54:16 am
Today I am reading about Austria, because I met an Austrian woman yesterday and was very confused. Somehow this whole time I thought Austria was like Bavaria or Prussia, just another part of Germany. I am not an ignorant person about geography, I just thought that they never became independent again after WWII? I follow international news, follow the EU, and have not heard a single mention of Austria in a modern context. How is their economy doing? Did they have problems during the recession, when EU countries were mentioned on the news constantly?
Maybe I recently slid into a different parallel timeline, and in my original timeline Austria didn't exist anymore.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on September 03, 2014, 11:59:53 am
I think this is a normal thing to happen to an educated American because we just don't learn much about the outside world in school and you end up with weird gaps in your knowledge. I like to think so anyway because something similar happened to me the first time I heard of Russia invading Afghanistan. This seemed inexplicable because I had totally the wrong idea of where Afghanistan is - I thought it was in Africa somewhere maybe? Instead of having, like, a common border.

I know that story dates me - given more recent history everyone should know where Afghanistan is - but that wasn't true at the time.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on September 03, 2014, 12:59:41 pm
Dude, Winter Olympics in 1964 and 1976?  Julie Andrews prancing through the promontories?  Arnold Schwarzenegger?  Those disgusting little sausages that come in cans?  Nothing?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on September 03, 2014, 03:14:36 pm
Dude, Winter Olympics in 1964 and 1976? 

I don't think Inev was even alive in 1976.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on September 03, 2014, 03:22:34 pm
I don't think Inev was even alive in 1976.

Hassenpfeffer.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on September 03, 2014, 06:12:54 pm
Quote
Dude, Winter Olympics in 1964 and 1976?  Julie Andrews prancing through the promontories?  Arnold Schwarzenegger?  Those disgusting little sausages that come in cans?  Nothing?

I wasn't even alive in 1987, much less 1976.

But yeah, none of those things (except the olympics) preclude Austria being a part of Germany. I knew it WAS a country before WWII, but I thought it wasn't anymore.

Now I'm vaguely remembering that a friend went to Vienna and I looked up where it was and maybe had a similar realization. But clearly it didn't stick. I also had to memorize every country in Asia, Africa, Europe, and South America in middle school, but those all kind of blended together after a while.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on September 03, 2014, 10:38:24 pm
I'm still not sure who is sovereign, who is autonomous, and who is history in the Balkans.  I don't know that any of them know either...
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on September 03, 2014, 11:28:37 pm
There are definitely parts of the world where memorizing them in middle school is sure to be a big waste of time.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 04, 2014, 12:13:02 am
No more Iraq, no more Syria. Replace both with IS.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on September 04, 2014, 02:03:52 am
I would be willing to bet I have a pretty good grasp on where most countries are that aren't in Africa. And I definitely won't forget Austria now.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 04, 2014, 05:59:34 am
I have a pretty good idea if somewhat vague idea of where most countries are. In Africa I think I could probably find Egypt and South Africa and that's about it.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on September 05, 2014, 04:59:17 pm
Cameroon is in the armpit of Africa, which seems like an unfortunate term since my impression is that they generally have their ducks in a row.  Somalia is another easy one, because its on that pointy bit aiming at India.
Djibouti.
Its just fun to say.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on September 18, 2014, 05:54:07 am
This (http://www.drumbot.com/projects/sequence/) is the online drum machine I've always wanted. Ability to save the file, ability to create different patterns and move them around on a grid to repeat them, ability to change "resolution" (1/4 notes, 1/8, 1/16). So cool.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on September 20, 2014, 07:04:56 pm
I'm trying to choose a website to start learning how to read Japanese again. I think I found the right one. (http://kanjidamage.com/kanji/31-white-%E7%99%BD)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on December 01, 2014, 06:16:13 pm
I'm trying to choose a website to start learning how to read Japanese again. I think I found the right one. (http://kanjidamage.com/kanji/31-white-%E7%99%BD)
I clicked through there to WWWJDIC (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C).  Wow, that place looks like a rabbit-hole...
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on December 09, 2014, 06:13:14 pm
This is sort of trippy. (http://entire.spacebar.org/)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 09, 2014, 10:03:45 pm
This is sort of trippy. (http://entire.spacebar.org/)
More like infuriating.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on December 10, 2014, 10:15:55 pm
Aww.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 12, 2014, 01:08:54 am
Here you go Inev: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2014/12/are-anthropologists-better-than-you-think.html

Most of the best economists I follow would agree with this argument and do their best to do "anthropological type field work" to get a better understanding of what happens with real people as opposed to on a chalkboard. They also give the best presentations. 
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on December 17, 2014, 09:19:50 pm
I think a lot about a phrase I read in a book I read on Buddhism-- "once ego enters into it, even the most enlightened activity can become spiritual trash." Always disappointing how many people I know find a way to make national tragedies about them in the sort of way that article talks about. Look at me, being a hero and talking about how sad I am about Michael Brown. Look at these pictures of me protesting.
Does being a good person count if you don't post a facebook status about it?

There is obviously a right way to do those things. Some of my friends are involved in the protests in STL and are definitely doing it the right way. But yeesh. And then there's me, on the other hand, who gets so worried about that side of things that I don't do anything. Which is not very helpful either.

I think I learned a lot about this kind of subtle shitty stuff at my old job. So much of that second-guessing of, "huh, that guy is always pretty friendly when I help him, why did he cuss my coworker out. Maybe he's having a bad day, but maybe..."
I hated that job and it definitely made me have a much less charitable view of humanity. But I definitely got a much nicer reaction from a lot of people than some of my african-american or female coworkers. Also had my share of stressed-out days where I wasn't as friendly as I could have been, and looked back later and wondered "hm, why did I react to that particular person in that way." Also, of course, places where an innocent mistake got the worst possible reaction from someone who clearly thought "oh great, another white asshole fuck*ng with me." Which is totally understandable, because I also saw coworkers take totally shitty attitudes with people of color.
On a purely selgiraffe level I would like this to get better just so people can give each other the benefit of the doubt.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 18, 2014, 10:58:02 pm
rail liquor

Is that anything like bum wine (http://www.bumwine.com/)?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 19, 2014, 12:08:13 am
Is that anything like bum wine (http://www.bumwine.com/)?

The speed rail is house liquors kept at the bartender's quick disposal for making mixed drinks. It is the liquor that does not earn a place behind the bartender.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on December 19, 2014, 01:07:01 am
a/k/a "well liquor".
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 26, 2014, 07:52:30 am
So you don't drink it while sitting beside the railroad tracks?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 08, 2015, 05:23:14 pm
Or the next few weeks, if the hosss have their way.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on January 15, 2015, 05:40:47 pm
Mr Crane has an excellent slogan, but they really need a cute Japanese character mascot.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on January 15, 2015, 08:32:28 pm
Maybe a chibi version of a cranefly wearing a hard hat.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on January 15, 2015, 08:54:32 pm
Mr Crane has an excellent slogan, but they really need a cute Japanese character mascot.

(http://web.blogads.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/41m9mopN5gL._SL500_AA300_.jpeg)

This guy will banish your crane problems to the land of wind and ghosts!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 21, 2015, 12:01:48 am
I saw an entertaining documentary about where our shit goes (http://youtu.be/QV9x79_WYbk).
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on January 21, 2015, 04:34:33 am
I saw an entertaining documentary about where our shit goes (http://youtu.be/QV9x79_WYbk).

That was good.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on January 22, 2015, 02:38:22 am
If you like the rotating pyramid, watch starting here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTca2nrIn4U#t=239) and WAIT TIL YOU SEE IT.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 22, 2015, 03:45:47 am
I don't know what is happening at all, but I could watch that for hours.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 24, 2015, 03:08:14 pm
Missing Pugboat. Looking at you, wombat.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on January 24, 2015, 03:50:51 pm
(http://www.dogster.com/files/post_images/47099afe676d64251658669fcbdf6548.jpg)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 27, 2015, 11:26:26 pm
This season of Archer has firmly lodged "gaping dickhole" in my vocabulary and I am better for it.

Oh boy! Hope it makes Netflix soon.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on February 15, 2015, 08:35:26 pm
This album (http://imgur.com/a/CvEvO) is mind-blowing. All the pictures included on the Voyager probe that we launched into space in the 70s. Teared up a little thinking about all that exists here and how beautiful our home is.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 19, 2015, 06:21:10 am
This album (http://imgur.com/a/CvEvO) is mind-blowing. All the pictures included on the Voyager probe that we launched into space in the 70s. Teared up a little thinking about all that exists here and how beautiful our home is.
Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJoMDq4AyLc   Top Gear's U-2 flight. I wept inside knowing I will likely not live long enough to wear to see something like that in person.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on February 26, 2015, 05:34:01 am
So you may know that Spanish has two different words for "to be." One, estar, is used for a temporary state like being wet or at school or driving a car. The other one, ser, is used for permanent things. So today I had a sentence that said "ella es lista." I know that word! My grandma always says "Estas listo?" Are you ready! So: She is ready.

But no! This is "ser," not "estar." The state of being always ready? "She is clever." Whoa. I like it.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 03, 2015, 05:49:03 pm
Stupid yet interesting thing: an acquaintance of mine who is a self-stylized social media guru has a Klout score of 56.
I tweet about baseball and post things on Facebook every once in a while. My Klout score is 52. Seems like there should be a bigger gap, there.

Acknowledged: Klout scores are fuck*ng dumb.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 03, 2015, 07:29:11 pm
Yeah, I'm with Drew on Minecraft. Why my kids like to watch videos of other people playing the game is beyond me.

Too bad Kinja isn't included in Klout. I've got a 200-star post in the Curt Schilling vs. Twitter discussion on Deadspin right now.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on March 11, 2015, 12:33:48 pm
I don't have anything to say, I'm just posting BECAUSE I CAN.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on March 11, 2015, 04:06:27 pm
I've been using this dying mechanism (http://gawker.com/5978737/why-do-assholes-love-watches) as an asshole litmus test for a while.

I quit wearing watches 6 or 7 years ago, but I agree wholeheartedly with the article. 

I used to collect mechanical watches, but only those I could get for less than about $30.  Mostly Timexes from the 60's and 70's.  I think they're fuck*ng cool because they cost about $20 brand new and for the most part still keep excellent time.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on March 11, 2015, 05:04:32 pm
My dad gave me his cool (possibly really nice?) watch from the 80s, but it doesn't work and I don't wear watches.

I think a lot about getting one of those cheap casio digital ones so I can check the time in class a little more subtly.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 20, 2015, 04:28:34 pm
Good for you man. Should we start calling you Wombat II?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2015, 04:07:08 am
Dude, I already gave you a can.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 26, 2015, 02:57:52 pm
I want to have a band called Five Forks, which is an actual place in Pennsylvania.

The we could go on tour with The Knife and Spoon.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 26, 2015, 11:56:50 pm
One green room here in Denver is just filled with food/band puns on the wall...pad Thai segall, tex mex pistols, gram parsnips...idk there were more good ones, I just took a pic of pad Thai segall and those are the others in the pic (we added dough la tengo).  Right in the middle real big someone wrote the cranberries...this reminded me of that.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on March 30, 2015, 04:57:50 pm
Today there is 4.2% less of me.
For a dude of your magnitude, I'm guessing that ran about 8-10 lbs.  Which seems considerable.  Breast reduction?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on March 30, 2015, 07:21:36 pm
Castrated?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on April 02, 2015, 07:56:18 pm

Really, it's all one big massive mind-trip. I've had to go from "I'm this and I do this to I'm that and I do that because of not being as stubborn/stupid.

Yeah.  Yeah.  It is kind of a self-image bender though.  I mean, I have those moments where I'm like "Am I really a guy who (does X)" or "Am I really a dude who eats Y?" So yeah, done that, guess I hope to keep on doing it. 
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on April 03, 2015, 08:58:32 pm
Years of self-discipline are paying off for you then.  A surprising number of people can't make that strategy work.  I'm in a fat shedding mode too, although my end point is in the 170ish range.  I haven't bothered weighing myself in a couple weeks though, so I don't know whether I'm being smug for unfounded reasons. I seem to be maintaining strength though, so that's good.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 17, 2015, 08:17:40 pm
That was an epic hack! Congratulations on your problem solving abilities.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on April 26, 2015, 07:39:34 pm
I am really curious about what my roommate does every morning when she leaves. First of all, she lets the door slam every time she enters and exits the apartment. Which is funny, considering that is one of the things she complains about our building-mates doing. But more importantly, it seems like she leaves, comes back, leaves, comes again, leaves again. Every morning the door slams 4 or 5 times. What is going on here?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on April 30, 2015, 03:35:45 pm
I spend the last 15 minutes before I leave in the morning wandering from room to room trying to decide if I have everything.  This cuts down on outside door opening/closing cycles.  I have 90% of my stuff together the night before, but that final 10% can be key.  Today I cut the ritual short and discovered later that I left my wallet at home :/
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on May 11, 2015, 03:51:48 pm
That's the backup train to hell.  666A was in the shop.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on May 11, 2015, 08:47:59 pm
I have been poking around in this Coding Python For Maroons (http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkCSpy/thinkCSpy.pdf) book and trying to do some simple coding stuff. Just to find something to tickle that other part of my brain. I am trying not to worry that my major hobby seems to be learning cool things and then forgetting them.

I decided I wanted to try to make a program that would print out the fibonacci sequence. Should be easy, right? I tried a bunch of different ways and couldn't get it to work. Even when I just wrote out the steps in English and tried to translate them.
Weird, I remember doing this in my high school programming class no problem. So I looked up solutions online (cheating, I know) and every solution blew my mind (http://en.literateprograms.org/Fibonacci_numbers_%28Python%29) in some small or large way (functions can run themselves recursively? You can assign multiple variables in one line instead of sequentially? "Dictionaries?"). Computers are cool as hell.

More importantly, the concept of a "dictionary" in python made me finally understand this GIS database thing I struggled with all day Saturday for my last assignment. I usually think I am a "learn by doing" type but all the examples we did in class did not help me the way a few sentences did just now. I am going to claim the professor used an example that was not very helpful. Knowing her, the example was the way it was because of some quirky feature GIS had in 1985 that she still abides by.

Whenever I tell my roommate what I am up to, he tells me that it all sounds interesting but it sure isn't urban planning. I think I'm OK with that. I had a nice conversation at my last job interview about how a lot of the really interesting stuff is in the weird subtopics that get lumped into Urban Planning programs because they don't belong anywhere else. The interviewer agreed and said don't worry, you're going in the right direction.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 21, 2015, 12:03:40 pm
That looks creepy as fuck.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on May 21, 2015, 05:47:33 pm
All serving out plastic pizzas that clip onto the table. All making you wear yellow hand-gloves. Bed is hard and sheets don't fold down, you just lie on your back on top of the bed to sleep.

(Plastic pizza piece, for illustration. I had this kit as a kid!
(http://letsbuilditagain.com/instructions/6350/001.jpg)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2015, 03:08:52 am
Somebody posted this blast from the past on reddit. Wasn't this someone's avatar on here?

(http://i.imgur.com/0i25SXQ.gif)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Sub_Topical on May 25, 2015, 01:47:25 pm
Yeah, I remember that asshole!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2015, 04:05:00 pm
Wait, have you just been lurking the board for 5 years waiting for someone to post your picture?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on May 25, 2015, 05:59:37 pm
I guess that's one way to look at it.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on May 25, 2015, 06:52:13 pm
Nothing to lose one's head about.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on May 26, 2015, 05:39:02 pm
I've recently made an accommodation with myself in regards to death.

I've decided that the worst it could be is, after some period or tearing pain and fear, is...nothing. Like when you get put under anesthesia and your lights go out and the system shuts completely down.

Except, like, forever.

My accommodation with myself is, if that's how it goes, I prolly shouldn't waste my shit over it because I have much much better things to do with my time at this gig than sweat out whether there's an encore or not.

So, yeah. When the existential going gets tough, the tough go solipsist, or some such.

On of the few things we know for certain about this life is that it's finite.  No matter what you think happens next, you must take advantage of the precious time you have here.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 28, 2015, 02:20:33 pm
Someone famous--Roger Ebert, maybe?--said something to the effect of, "I have no memory of the time before I was born. I suspect death will be similar."
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on June 08, 2015, 02:02:10 am
The art exhibit I went to see in Princeton today had a ton of photos from this collection (https://www.flickr.com/photos/usnationalarchives/collections/72157620729903309/), paid for by the EPA to represent the state of the country in the early 70s. Some great ones in there.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on June 08, 2015, 03:05:36 pm
I had a dream that after I posted that, Paul responded pointing out that he took a ton of the pictures in that collection. When I woke up I had to double-check to make sure it was a dream. (And yes, even in the dream I knew you are too young to have been a professional photographer back then).
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 08, 2015, 07:11:57 pm
One of my FB friends works at Bath & Body Works.

She will often refer to it in her posts as BBW. "Hey BBW fans!"

Hee hee ha ha ha ha.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on June 08, 2015, 10:29:36 pm
Suddenly realizing that all of my judgments of how insane my roommate are were coming from a dude (me) who slept until almost noon every day while she works 2 jobs and also goes to school. Going to try to judge her as a person a little less. Definitely still judging her actions, though. Her actions are stupid as hell.

(I don't know how many hours she actually works at those jobs, but usually she was getting home from 1 job and about to leave for the next while I was sitting in my pajama ##### eating breakfast)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on June 09, 2015, 01:28:12 am
It would be interesting to be on the messageboard where she told her side of that story.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on June 09, 2015, 12:04:34 pm
Well I have heard her sides of stories, and it is a lot of everyone else being a "stupid bitch" and her yelling at people who deserve it.

But what am I saying, she's a figment of your figment, get her to join the board.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on June 09, 2015, 08:54:24 pm
Well you know,  that she is a crazy person and that she works really hard are not mutually exclusive possiblities.

(https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtKO9Oy0xI6-HkWhEVWEIKxOCN7XPceEPwotxsmtqeFQRWhHZj5GUX9Vo)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on June 11, 2015, 02:07:51 am
Oh, absolutely.

Today my boss at my internship saw me looking at this really frustrating NYC government website that lets you look up active building permits, and he said "oh, I should introduce you to this guy I met, he made some kind of computer program to take the data on this website and show it on an online map." Which is exactly what I was thinking I should make! Well, I know by the end of the programming textbook I'm working through I will know how to scrape the data off the page, but how to put that into a form GIS can read and then put that online is a mystery. Maybe that's the next book.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on June 12, 2015, 04:29:46 pm
For any Mac users, this program (http://spectacleapp.com/) is making my window management dreams come true. After using Windows 7 at school I was really envious of the ability to make a window take up exactly half the screen with the click of a button. So I downloaded this thing and now I can just hit cmd-option-left and cmd-option-right and get two windows side by side, or up and down, or whatever. Perfect for a task I do constantly-- looking at something in one window (a scan of something, a pdf, instruction on how to do something) and typing/interacting in another. Today I am doing a python web apps tutorial with the terminal on the bottom half of the screen and the instructions on top and it is PERFECT.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on June 12, 2015, 06:19:45 pm
Yeah, at school I use the Windows 7 function that does this plus dual monitors, but at home I only have my pathetic 17 inch laptop screen. Ditto at work, where I have to bring my laptop if I don't want to share a desktop with 4 other people.

(Note that students at state school have better computer resources than state employees who do that thing professionally)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on June 13, 2015, 08:02:52 am
I had a dream that after I posted that, Paul responded pointing out that he took a ton of the pictures in that collection. When I woke up I had to double-check to make sure it was a dream. (And yes, even in the dream I knew you are too young to have been a professional photographer back then).

Ha ha, yes, I was quite young in the early 70s. I do however have a very acute sense of what that time looked like. I'm not very good at articulating it, but I know it when I see it.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on June 15, 2015, 11:18:18 pm
Found this cool website that posts programming challenges, and once you complete the challenge it shows you everyone else's solutions. It's amazing spending half an hour working on a stupid puzzle and then seeing people who solved it in a single line or in a really clever way. Also good to scroll to the bottom and see the other people who did it in super convoluted ways, like me.

(Weirdest are the people who solve things in a way that is very knowledgable but not very clever. For "make a program that tells you whether any given number is prime," the top solution is a guy who made a 1 liner that checks if the number is divisible by any smaller number greater than 1. Further down is a guy with like 20 lines of math using functions I have never heard of... maybe it's a way so that with really huge numbers you don't have to test every single number to know the answer?)

Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on July 17, 2015, 01:07:23 pm
Dammit Todd! (http://geekologie.com/2015/07/we-should-party-sometime-squirrel-breaks.php)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 17, 2015, 09:05:47 pm
Something has changed on Google Drive (formerly Docs) and now I can't get it to do any of the things I want. First it kept making copies of my files in our shared folder at work, now the "manage versions" option is mysteriously missing on the one file I want to modify. When I delete the accidental copies it only deletes them for me, since it's a shared folder, so I think everyone else is seeing those 5 copies of "in progress school district data" that I somehow made.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2015, 05:37:31 pm
I need to Get My Life In Order before an event occurs where I am using my personal computer at work and someone sees a naked lady. I used to have such good discipline about hiding the good stuff where it wouldn't accidentally appear, but at some point things got lax.

(that folder is called "let's be honest, you know what this is" because I am an Adult... but things escape, somehow)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on August 07, 2015, 05:49:53 pm
(that folder is called "let's be honest, you know what this is" because I am an Adult... but things escape, somehow)

I call that folder 'Plain Brown Wrapper.'
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2015, 05:57:40 pm
In general, there are just constantly things popping up on my computer. Not like "pop-ups", but text messages and emails and stuff. I remember that very early after I got my iphone I had to figure out how to stop it from displaying the content of messages when it was locked, because my dad picked up my phone and handed it to me and there was a message about drugs on the screen. Still not sure if he saw that.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on September 03, 2015, 04:25:10 am
I know this is part of the human condition or whatever, but why don't people trying to convince me of things ever use historical facts or examples, instead of just stating their opinion in a stern voice? Am I the only person convinced by evidence? I have heard a lot of people say that land use zoning is stupid, or bad, or pointless, but none of them ever said things like:

This book commented that planners from highly regulated foreign countries cannot believe it when they learn how restrictive and complicated zoning is in the US. Ugh. Land of the free.

But really, ditto the above list for things like racism, sexism, etc. I am on your side once you give me some facts. In these cases I have been provided facts and now I am on your side. But why didn't anyone tell me those facts to begin with? Like, maybe a step before yelling at me about them?

Also realizing that people in my current department have really weird ideas about what certain words mean. You would think "culture" is a swear word. Ditto "social control." Today my teacher (not a professor, she is a professional planner) told us how mad it made her when someone told her that what she calls "case studies" are just fancy stories that don't prove anything. She tells a lot of anecdotes that are 100% hindsight bias about how it was OBVIOUS to ANYONE WITH A BRAIN that her brilliant plan would work, and all those naysayers were a bunch of idiots. Please ignore all the failed urban design projects all over the country, you should trust the professional immediately when they make big plans and bigger claims.

(she did tell a story today that cracked me up-- she and her partners showed a computer rendering with their park in bright green, and all of the surrounding buildings just as white silhouettes (http://mithun.com/images/projects/Aerial_Masthead.jpg). The crowd was mad that they were proposing all the buildings be painted white, and demanded that they note that the buildings should be various colors.)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on September 03, 2015, 05:09:27 am
Better post:

Just now this script I was running to figure out what music files were duplicated between two locations on my computer crashed, with a message something like "out of storage space." Yes, I did Something Wrong and created a 203 GB text file. It is too big to open so I can't figure out what I did.

Update: >, which I meant to type, is "send output to this file." >>, which I typed, is "append output to this file." So as it created the output it was repeatedly adding the same info over and over. It added the first file, then the first file and the second file, then the first three files, then the first four files... until it was 213 gigabytes.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 03, 2015, 01:28:01 pm
I know this is part of the human condition or whatever, but why don't people trying to convince me of things ever use historical facts or examples, instead of just stating their opinion in a stern voice?

Proof through vigorous assertion!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 04, 2015, 09:22:03 pm
I know this is part of the human condition or whatever, but why don't people trying to convince me of things ever use historical facts or examples, instead of just stating their opinion in a stern voice? Am I the only person convinced by evidence? I have heard a lot of people say that land use zoning is stupid, or bad, or pointless, but none of them ever said things like:
  • no other country has zoning like the US
  • there is not very much evidence it accomplishes any of the things it is supposed to accomplish
  • here is a list of pleasant places to live that developed naturally in countries that do not have zoning
  • the US has fallen behind its peers in many of the measurements of things zoning is supposed to help, despite those peers not having zoning, or having much simpler/less intrusive zoning

This book commented that planners from highly regulated foreign countries cannot believe it when they learn how restrictive and complicated zoning is in the US. Ugh. Land of the free.

But really, ditto the above list for things like racism, sexism, etc. I am on your side once you give me some facts. In these cases I have been provided facts and now I am on your side. But why didn't anyone tell me those facts to begin with? Like, maybe a step before yelling at me about them?

There's no zoning in Houston and it's a clusterfuck! It wasn't so much of a problem before because it was so spread out here. Over the last 20 years or so they've been filling in all of those open spaces. What's best for the community... who cares! What's best for the developers bottom line is what matters.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on September 04, 2015, 09:32:33 pm
Further into the book, it seems like the deal is this. In other countries they do not have such strong property rights. So they can have a loosey-goosey zoning system and if someone starts to build something real bad they can say "hey, no, you, stop." In the US that would get your city sued for unfair treatment, "taking" of property, etc. But zoning has been ruled constitutional, so they just make the zoning cover every possible bad thing, and use it as a tool to do whatever they want. Sure, we can't afford to build public housing, but we can use zoning to incentivize people to build cheap housing! etc.

The UK has the craziest system (from a US constitutional view), you have to apply to the planning board if you want to build anything at all. There isn't any "right" to build. France/Germany/others seem to have a system somewhere in between-- Paris for example has 4 or 5 types of zones, but the majority of the city is zoned as "general urban area." No country except the US has zones where you are only allowed to build detached single-family houses. It is nuts. The NYC zoning code is 3,000 pages long.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on September 06, 2015, 01:56:00 pm
Those contrasts among countries make my brain hurt. Like we are supposed to be the country where everyone is free to do fuck-all, but we have 3000 page long zoning codes. And while it seems like actually it would be a good idea to have zoning codes to protect regular people from big companies doing fuck-all, it rarely seems to actually work that way.

Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on September 06, 2015, 02:40:33 pm
Ah, but see, the most important right is the right to have your property values go up. So it makes total sense.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on September 16, 2015, 04:20:00 am
A stupid text adventure I created (http://www.philome.la/DBstandsfor/hamchat---a-place-for-hams-and-by-hams/play). It's called HamChat, and in it you explore a chatroom for horny hams. I made this for a party my friend had a few years ago where everyone made games using this engine-- puzzle games, RPGs, weird shit like my Ham game-- and we took turns playing them.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on September 17, 2015, 05:42:56 pm
Yeah, making that game was the perfect investment vs payoff balance. I made it in about 25 minutes but got so many friends to crack up with it.

Last night I finished making a program to keep score in this board game my roommates and I have been playing. It turned out strangely complicated. This is the reverse: it was very satisfying and educational to make, but to the user it seems like a program that is equivalent to writing out the scores on a piece of paper. Good practice for understanding how to store data, although I think I probably did it in an overly complicated way.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 22, 2015, 06:31:17 pm
No no no, you see, the problem is you only got ten.

I will always be able to recite the first verse of that song at warp speed.

https://vimeo.com/72540087
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on September 27, 2015, 06:08:52 am
Come on chochachos, no posts since the board reset? do you think you're gonna break it?

Since then I've been drunk twice and read a few hundred pages of stupid legal cases, spent a few hours configuring text editors and window managers, talked to friends for hours, and ridden my bike for the first time in months. Nothing!?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on September 28, 2015, 08:11:53 pm
Didn't the barn just go up?  There's already enough hoss shit in there to attract flies?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on October 09, 2015, 04:08:37 pm
Mushroom mushroom
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on October 09, 2015, 04:26:26 pm
It was a snaaaaaaaake...
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on October 29, 2015, 06:58:14 pm
Are (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-173) you (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-087) aware (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-j) of (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-j) the (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-682) SCP? (http://www.scp-wiki.net/top-rated-pages)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on November 02, 2015, 07:36:21 am
Are (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-173) you (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-087) aware (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-j) of (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-j) the (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-682) SCP? (http://www.scp-wiki.net/top-rated-pages)

I don't know what to make of all that.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on November 09, 2015, 07:27:09 pm
That's disconcerting.  I guess it's good I live where I do, otherwise I couldn't afford to be there.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on November 18, 2015, 07:23:06 am
Truly great phrase I learned just now: one stage in the growth of a mushroom involves being wrapped in "the Universal Veil."

damn, now I need to get a lot better at guitar so I can start a metal band with this name.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on November 20, 2015, 06:52:51 pm
I had spent a couple minutes wondering how someone who had such good fortune could blow it like he did - then I realized he was probably a pedo creeper even before he got famous.  It must have been a thrill for him to be able to finally afford to make his nightmarish fantasies reality.  Pity it took us so long to twig to him.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on November 20, 2015, 07:22:44 pm
Did I ever tell you guys about my nightmare where I realized I was a pedo? I think in the end I decided to kill myself.

Rough stuff.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on November 24, 2015, 03:55:54 am
I lost 21.5 lbs and won $146.28 for doing it.  Woot!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 29, 2015, 04:58:38 pm
I just told a co-worker that "[MegaLo Corp] doesn't love you and you're foolish to give them any part of your life they don't pay for" and she looked at me like I kicked her dog and stamped through her flower beds.

Truth. The company is not your friend, especially if it's a publicly-held company, and they will fuck you over in a heartbeat if it helps their bottom line.

Rumor at our company is that they're considering doing away with separate vacation/floating/sick time. They're going to dump it all in one bucket called "paid time off." They claim that we're the only company in our sector who has not already gone to this model. And I'm sure it will be spun as giving employees "greater flexibility."

What they won't mention is that if they do this, they will no longer be obligated to pay out your vacation balance if/when you leave, like they do now. Any time off you have saved up at the end there just vanishes.

I am fond of saying "All our competitors do it" is not a reason to do something. It's the reason you think you can do it and get away with it.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on November 29, 2015, 10:16:06 pm
I am being driven insane by people using the word "gift" as a verb.

What should I gift my family for Christmas?

I was gifted this homemade hat by my mom.


My beliefs are in conflict with the fact that this usage makes me want to rudely correct people.

Evidence that I am not imagining things, and this is very recent. (http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/reddit-ngram/?keyword=was%20gifted&start=20071015&end=20150831&smoothing=30)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on November 29, 2015, 10:40:49 pm
It annoys me too but you and I both know that A, English does this all the time, and B, correcting people won't stop language change, it will just make people consider you a dick.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on December 01, 2015, 06:15:51 am
Today 4 friends of mine share a birthday. none of them know each other. I do not believe in horoscopes or whatever that stuff is, but I would definitely describe all four of them as deeply kind, but socially off-putting. None of them are jerks, just socially clueless in a way that some people misinterpret. The kind of friend who says one really nice thing to you, once, and it sticks with you because it means more coming from a guy like that.

This is a coincidence, but it is a coincidence that made me think about similarities between some disparate guys from different life eras. Cool.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: robocop on December 01, 2015, 06:46:40 am
I finished the last drop of whiskey this evening. I looked at the empty bottle and decided that it would be my last. I've sipped on a double of whiskey (several wee drams) nearly every evening for a decade. It's an odd habit. It costs money, and it has weakened my appreciation for the fine fine liquid. No buzz or drift or any such thing, just a slight warmth while I write. I've only skipped it for the occasional travel day or bottle of Pliny the Elder. It became about having it in my hand, about having always had it in my hand. There is a strong history of addiction in my family, and I've grown weirdly concerned about my daily sip suddenly growing into something else. And so I leave this habit behind like so many others. It's just a shame that Kentucky Ryes are just now making their comeback.

Instead, I will enjoy a fine whiskey on the rare. I will appreciate it more, methinks. Now to keep some fine fine fresh brewed iced tea around for that tumbler-in-hand fixation.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on December 09, 2015, 05:27:00 am
This girl I couldn't stand on my freshman floor in college now works for Comcast Customer Service. Poetry.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on December 10, 2015, 04:46:29 pm
I'd say you've had enough. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on December 21, 2015, 04:54:05 pm
My brother (who works for an environmentalist group in Iowa) went to see Trump speak with some of his coworkers. The organizers saw a group of 20-somethings in matching t-shirts and smelled trouble. Official guy came over and said "the Trump campaign can't be responsible for what the crowd does" if they started protesting.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on December 28, 2015, 04:27:55 pm
I didn't realize that temperature was allowed to happen in California.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on December 28, 2015, 09:19:47 pm
My friend in Orange County claimed it was literally too windy for her to go outside. But it's hard to tell with you southern Californians, you are so unused to having weather than sometimes you are kind of overdramatic about it.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 29, 2015, 12:42:16 am
Haha, yeah...some people out here are freaking out!  It is pretty windy, but...yeah, go anywhere else?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on December 29, 2015, 10:25:36 pm
Love the raccoons going to sleep on the comfy porch furniture. Sensible animals.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on January 02, 2016, 12:52:18 am
(http://i.imgur.com/GqRTEkD.png)

me
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on January 03, 2016, 07:06:36 am
Today at a concert there was a girl wearing an army jacket with this hairstyle. (http://f.tqn.com/y/diyfashion/1/L/a/5/0/-/Leia-Hoth-Hair.jpg) I never knew that was what I wanted in life until that moment.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on January 04, 2016, 02:41:27 am
Today at a concert there was a girl wearing an army jacket with this hairstyle. (http://f.tqn.com/y/diyfashion/1/L/a/5/0/-/Leia-Hoth-Hair.jpg) I never knew that was what I wanted in life until that moment.

She's probably your long lost sister.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on January 04, 2016, 04:01:51 am
MFW (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSWiMoO8zNE)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 07, 2016, 01:42:42 am
Dang AW, let the boy have his fun!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on January 21, 2016, 11:52:11 pm
Speaking of the fuck*ng iPhone, couldn't get internet via the hotspot when I tried it for the first time today. Can't face it today but number one job of blizzard prep tomorrow is calling Apple and/or Verizon to try to get it working.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on January 24, 2016, 05:49:08 pm
I am eternally bewildered by how people decide who to vote for. And I don't mean people who like Trump or whatever-- talking to friends and classmates about whether they like Bernie or Hillary is so confusing.

I think I have an overall mental deficiency (that sounds dramatic) about making certain kinds of judgment calls. I do not really feel like I have the information I need to say who is a "better leader," who did better in the debates, or who will be better at making deals or whatever. I can't even imagine what information would help me make that call. So I pick based on what legislation they've voted for and what their positions are.

This is not some kind of sarcastic post, I just really cannot follow what people are talking about when they debate this stuff. Even my really smart friends who know more about politics than me.

More mystifying: people who constantly bring up Bernie's (past) gun control votes. Really, that's your one dealbreaker? That he's worse than Hill on one issue? What about the many issues he's better than her on (even according to the people who have made this point to me)? Can you really complain that someone is too idealistic out of one side of your mouth, and get mad when they compromise with the other?

(I think either of them will be a fine prez.)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on January 25, 2016, 10:26:34 pm
Given that 90% of them are just parrotting what their favorite talking head or blogger said, I tend to think that most people are in the same boat.  There's a couple politicians I'd vote for president in a heartbeat, because I know they're smart, have the best of intentions, aren't in anyone's pocket, and I know them personally.  Unfortunately they're local city officials who'd never get a crack at the big time because of all the pigs already at that trough.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 25, 2016, 10:46:05 pm
Dear guy in the orange Mustang with Texas plates: I hope you learned something today about driving in the snow. As in, don't do it if you don't absolutely have to.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: miles on January 29, 2016, 03:40:41 am
This kinda reminded me of Paul: https://vimeo.com/153238734

What with the Houston connection and images of the Mexican or Tex-Mex or whatever you call it food.

No idea if you're a ZZ Top fan though.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2016, 08:18:44 pm
No idea if you're a ZZ Top fan though.

Are you asking me if I'm a ZZ Top fan? To use my best Houston parlance Fuckin' A Straight I love ZZ Top! Also, that video is bad ass. I have wanted to eat that meal for the better part of my life.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on February 11, 2016, 06:25:00 am
Every night when I set the timer on the alarm app on my phone, it gives me a little quiz-- did I drink lots of coffee today, eat right before bed, was I stressed, etc.

This moment is my moment of thankfulness for the night. Because I think about what qualified as a "stressful day" when I worked at the grocery store and felt like my life was going nowhere. And I never, ever click "stressful day" once I have thought about that for a split second.

Once I start this second job maybe I will be actually stressed and overwhelmed for a few months, but the grocery store job feeling was... a whole other thing.

(This app, SleepCycle, is great-- you put the phone next to you in bed, and tell it when you want to wake up. If you roll over or move around or otherwise jiggle the phone within 30 minutes of your wakeup time, it starts ringing to tell you "OK bud, you're awake now, better just go ahead and get out of bed.")
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on February 15, 2016, 02:23:11 am
My sister tweeted this recently:

Quote
I don't need a sugar daddy... a grilled-cheese parent would be great though
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 16, 2016, 11:09:46 pm
FUCK YEAH (http://picosong.com/2xtH/)

Cherlene/Cheryl/Carol screams this out of my phone with every email or text I receive and I don't think it will ever stop being funny to me and annoying to everyone around me.

This will be my new litmus test for strangers.

Tunt-tastic!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on February 17, 2016, 06:13:45 pm
It's interesting how being exposed to something, and then forgetting it for a while, and then returning to it seems to be the things that makes you love it. I drank espresso every day for 2 years at my coffee job and while I was learning to appreciate it, it was more of an intellectual appreciation than a "wow this is delicious" thing. Since I moved out to Jersey I have pretty much exclusively drank coffee from a crappy coffee machine at home, and then last week I went to a fancy place in the city and drank a real espresso with a tiny amount of milk. Holy crap! So good.

(on the other hand, seeing how busy the coffee shop was and how stressed the employees seemed made me glad that I worked in a shop in downtown St Louis, and not on Wall Street.)

The same thing happens with music. I listened to the Tame Impala album when it came out, wasn't super into it but listened through a few times. Then at the end of 2015 I listened to it again and realized I really really liked it, and I haven't stopped listening since.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2016, 06:59:20 am
The same thing happens with music. I listened to the Tame Impala album when it came out, wasn't super into it but listened through a few times. Then at the end of 2015 I listened to it again and realized I really really liked it, and I haven't stopped listening since.

On a similar note I'm realizing that I really dig Gorillaz.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on February 19, 2016, 04:19:52 am
Word.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on March 21, 2016, 04:35:49 pm
Well done.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 21, 2016, 08:14:16 pm
Good show Ash.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on March 24, 2016, 01:52:56 am
My boss marked that something I had written "obviously can't be right." It is right, I triple checked it, and all I can think of is that she forgets how long ago 1990 is.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2016, 04:03:00 am
Christ, for most of your life the most likely scenario is you get yourself killed either by accident or on purpose.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2016, 02:45:06 am
Christ, for most of your life the most likely scenario is you get yourself killed either by accident or on purpose.

I think I've definitely beat the odds because I've had more than a few narrow escapes.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on March 25, 2016, 05:07:07 pm
I like how homicide drops abruptly off the list in the 45+ range.  Too wise to take easy offense now, maybe?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: miles on March 25, 2016, 05:23:16 pm
I like how homicide drops abruptly off the list in the 45+ range.  Too wise to take easy offense now, maybe?

There might be something to that. I'm still in my 30s, but each year I find it harder to get offended. I don't know how people live that way. Christ, I don't know how I lived that way.

10 years ago I would have been up in arms about this election. Now I'm just like, well, whatever happens hopefully no one fucks anything up too badly.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on March 25, 2016, 05:48:31 pm
That's because they're boiling us frogs slooow...
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: miles on March 26, 2016, 03:40:52 am
There might be something to that. I'm still in my 30s, but each year I find it harder to get offended. I don't know how people live that way. Christ, I don't know how I lived that way.

10 years ago I would have been up in arms about this election. Now I'm just like, well, whatever happens hopefully no one fucks anything up too badly.

I was thinking, this probably isn't a very good example of what I'm trying to get at. I don't think it's bad to get worked up over politics, I still have political opinions, and I think a Trump administration and a Sanders administration would turn out differently. How different though depends on many factors.

But I just don't get worked up like I used to, about anything. Probably equal parts learning by example and just having less energy.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 26, 2016, 05:08:40 am
That's because they're boiling us frogs slooow...

Truly!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 26, 2016, 05:09:36 am
But I just don't get worked up like I used to, about anything. Probably equal parts learning by example and just having less energy.

Maybe you're just all dead inside.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: miles on March 26, 2016, 05:11:47 am
Maybe you're just all dead inside.

I haven't totally ruled that out. Drugs and stuff take their toll.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 26, 2016, 07:44:30 am
I haven't totally ruled that out. Drugs and stuff take their toll.

Don't I know it!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on March 30, 2016, 02:27:51 am
This
(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CelQRR_W4AATExv.jpg)

makes me laugh so hard every time I think about it. I can't stop.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 30, 2016, 06:30:26 am
Dudes got some serious blues, man.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on April 25, 2016, 04:57:55 am
"I'm about to be done with this paper," the student said, before spending another 12 hours working on it.

...2 of the 3 things I needed to finish this weekend have barely been started. Oops!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 25, 2016, 08:48:18 pm
Soldier on. It's your last campaign.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on April 27, 2016, 12:59:49 am
I turned in the big paper. I did the big presentation and I pulled off the thing I am great at-- it seemed like I had done a lot of research and not formatted my presentation well. When the reality is that I didn't do very much research OR organize my presentation well.

I talked to the professor whose thing I didn't do. He made the "do you know how fuck*ng old I am? You think I am touched by your mortal concerns?" face and said he doesn't care and to send it to him before graduation.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on April 27, 2016, 01:43:25 am
Ha. Yeah, whatever you think is your unique snowflake of a problem, he has heard it all before. There are no new excuses for late papers.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on April 27, 2016, 02:33:46 am
It wasn't that he does not care about the excuse, it is that he does not care that I missed the deadline. Which is nice. I did not really make an excuse, i just told him that I mismanaged my time and didn't complete it.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on April 27, 2016, 12:30:37 pm
It wasn't that he does not care about the excuse, it is that he does not care that I missed the deadline. Which is nice. I did not really make an excuse, i just told him that I mismanaged my time and didn't complete it.

The old brutal honesty ploy, eh?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on April 27, 2016, 02:52:31 pm
He's heard that one before too.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on April 27, 2016, 07:06:08 pm
Is that brutal honesty? I just assume people aren't interested in excuses when I didn't get something done.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on April 27, 2016, 07:22:16 pm
In my experience, they just want to know when it is that you will complete it.  Anything else is just emotional upset being vented.  I learned this from my mom, along with the distinction between an excuse and an explanation.  Excuses just make people mad (because it's an attempt to avoid responsibility), and an unsolicited explanation is a waste of time.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on May 01, 2016, 01:38:51 am
Have been aggravated all day about a data thing that was not working. Also discovered a big mistake I made at my internship that will result in a lot of extra work.

But then I got so annoyed that I googled exactly what I needed ("FAR2 Zip Code Populations 2010") and found a file that had it. And it was put out by the government so I can assume it is as accurate as I could get by trying to figure it out myself.
Now I feel so much better. Google is a wonder.

(FAR2 Zip Codes are zip codes that are more than an hour away from a municipality with 50k people or more, when driving the speed limit. There are more places that are that remote than I ever would have imagined.)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on May 07, 2016, 04:11:07 pm
Ever since moving up here I have been in search of My Beer. In St Louis I would just ask "Do you have any Schlafly beers on tap" and get whatever they had. Nice and easy. Going to the grocery store? See what Schalfly beer is in season and grab a six pack to take to the party.

Here in the northeast I have never found my ideal. Local breweries are crazy expensive (practically everything is $10 for a six pack at the liquor store near me) and never that satisfying.

But then:
(http://media.philly.com/images/Narragansettsixpack2600.jpg)

On the other hand, a lifestyle where I only drank once every few weeks was OK for the last two years. There was one semester where I partied a lot but this year was bland aside from one debacle. Which was fine.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 09, 2016, 03:42:56 am
Around for over a century. Not a part of the craft brew revolution.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 09, 2016, 07:16:49 am
Once I started drinking miller lite I started liking beer again.

Sometimes nowadays I'll grab a coors.  Sometimes a Pacifico.  But...well, I have a brand.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on May 09, 2016, 04:58:55 pm
If it's a choice between B/M/C and Pacifico, then the Mexican lager is what goes in my cart every time.  Learned about it from my mom many moons ago when I was at the store with her and she asked me to get her a 12-pack of beer.  I grabbed Corona, and when I brought it to her she said - "Don't they have Pacifico?"
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2016, 08:28:18 pm
I know research was harder before the internet, but bibliographies must have been a lot easier when everything was on paper in front of you.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2016, 10:23:11 pm
Actually I take that back, because now I am imagining re-typing all of the entries because I messed up the alphabetical order.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on May 25, 2016, 11:20:57 pm
Yeah, no, nothing was easier before the internet. Bibliographies in particular not only don't have to be retyped, I don't even have to type them in the first place. I type part of the reference into Google, find where someone else used the same source and used the right format, and copy-paste the whole thing.

You know how old I am? I was alive when you had to actually physically go to the library to find out if they had a particular book.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on May 26, 2016, 02:13:31 am
God, bibliographies and footnotes on a typewriter.  Holy shit but things are better in this modern day and age.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 26, 2016, 02:18:14 am
God, bibliographies and footnotes on a typewriter.  Holy shit but things are better in this modern day and age.

Counterpoint: there were so much fewer people in every damn field and subfield even just twenty years ago, you had the time to do all of that and not have to worry that ten other more hard-working researchers would publish on the exact same topic that you were working on before you got a chance to dot every i in your bibliography, and as a result leave you without any career prospects by the time you were thirty, you lazy asshole.

Why yes, I am bitter.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on May 26, 2016, 10:57:28 am
Actually we did worry about that twenty years ago. Not only that, sometimes we had to wait several weeks for the interlibrary loan before we found out for sure whether that paper had scooped us, instead of just being able to download it from the internet.

But, sorry, that sucks.

Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 07, 2016, 11:40:41 am
man, this lifestyle where I take a shower before bed because I feel sticky and then wake up 8 hours later drenched in sweat and shower again is for the dogs.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on July 07, 2016, 09:56:10 pm
The Eastern Seaboard in the summer lifestyle?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 07, 2016, 10:19:52 pm
I set up my air conditioner. Hopefully I can eliminate some of those showers.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 08, 2016, 02:58:10 pm
Yes.

In my parents' house growing up it was 100% sealed and air conditioned all day every day and it always kind of bothered me. But waking up swampy is for the birds when you are a grown up with places to be. Bedrooms need AC at least sometimes, and cooking in a kitchen without AC tests my resolve. I need to learn some cold recipes.

I'm catsitting in my friends' really fancy apartment in NYC, so this morning I made myself espresso and ate croissants and salami for breakfast with a little yogurt cup on the side. Sat eating it and looking out the window at the crowds below. This is the life. I can handle being sweaty when I'm spending my time reclining in the lap of luxury.

(this is more of a perspective thing than an actual luxury thing, it's just a hiply decorated studio apartment in a fancy-ass neighborhood)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on July 09, 2016, 01:43:14 am
In my parents' house growing up it was 100% sealed and air conditioned all day every day and it always kind of bothered me.

This drives me mad. When it's a lovely 72 degrees out and I hear a neighbor's AC cycle on, I want to scream. But when it's a day like today in the 90s and a billion percent humidity, I seriously wonder how people even lived before.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 11, 2016, 01:03:32 pm
We just got back from our week at the beach. Normally if the weather is decent, especially at night, we like to turn off the AC and open the windows. But it was hot and sweaty all week--one night it was actively raining and it was still 82 and humid out. Every time I opened a window, I immediately closed it again. Bleah.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 11, 2016, 08:01:09 pm
Smooth move, inev:

A woman in my program offered to let me stay at her place for the month of August when she will be out of town. She said she had already written off that month's rent and wasn't concerned about it. That seemed a little unfair to me, so I offered to pay half plus utilities.

...and half her rent, plus utilities, is more than my current total rent. So I will be paying ~$500 to sleep in her apartment and store my possessions in my uncle's basement.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on July 11, 2016, 08:52:12 pm
That seems like one of the most Inev things ever.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 11, 2016, 09:35:42 pm
It could be more inev if she were offering for me to stay there while she was in town, and then I insisted on paying to sleep on their couch so it wouldn't "be weird"

just keeping the creative juices flowing.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 11, 2016, 10:01:41 pm
As long as I find a job within that month I am happy. Also, the other roommate is my only good friend in NJ, and the apartment is nice and has a great kitchen. That will be fun.

Also over the weekend I may have found the neighborhood I want to live in in Brooklyn if I get an NYC job. It isn't ruined by hipsters yet... the better for me to ruin it. Oops. I promise I won't open a coffee shop or petition for a Whole Foods.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on July 16, 2016, 02:52:43 am
Wombles, some of these figments you play hella rough.

Dang!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 20, 2016, 04:59:29 pm
A guy named Dan who lives in Queens called into my favorite podcast (The Best Show) and said he thinks we should let Pandas go extinct and focus on other animals. Wombat, are you working on a second draft of me!?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on July 20, 2016, 05:08:17 pm
Nah, I wouldn't make you live in Queens. I guess maybe Queens is the new Brooklyn but back in the day it was just not cool and I can't get over it.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 20, 2016, 10:36:25 pm
It still seems not that "cool." But parts close to Manhattan are cheaper than equivalent distances in Brooklyn so people are moving there. I went to Woodside/Sunnyside and Jackson Heights on my birthday and nowhere seemed "hip." Jackson Heights is totally nuts and diverse and full of every kind of food, though. And supposedly Ridgewood is hip, being right next to Bushwick.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 21, 2016, 08:06:47 pm
Really surprising: I'm reading The Power Broker and this section was all about how much disdain a lot of the Democratic establishment in New York State had for FDR when he was running for Governor. They thought he was a fancy-##### with no substance, not very smart, not very politically savvy. They agreed on him as the candidate because they wanted someone who would charm upstate Protestants who voted against recent candidates that were NYC-centered and Catholic (Al Smith).
Kind of weird to read when I grew up thinking of him as one of the best presidents.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 25, 2016, 12:25:34 am
Oh damn you guys. Philadelphia is the best. Like an enormous St. Louis with more attitude. How do I find a damn job in Philly.

"Move to NYC without a full-time job and just see what works out" is insane, but doing the same in Philly could make sense. Rents there are comparable to central New Jersey. Hmm.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on July 25, 2016, 02:08:58 am
I don't know if this matters, but Philly sports fans have a reputation as being the absolute worst people in the world.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 25, 2016, 04:15:34 pm
I've heard that. I generally try to avoid crazy sports fans anywhere I go.

I just reached out to a few friends in Philly to let them know I'm on the lookout for a sublet there. Even if I can't find a job there, I need a place to stay at the end of August. Might even look for a part time gig, but not falling back into the "I'll work at this grocery store for a few months" trap again. Although, um, funds are low. I have like $1k coming to me from my security deposit on my place in NJ, I think. It seems impossible that it was that much but I distinctly remember wondering if it was the biggest check I'd ever written.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 26, 2016, 05:29:55 pm
"Philadelphia offers east coast weather and San Francisco pee smell at practically Midwestern prices. The quintessential American city."
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on July 26, 2016, 05:53:22 pm
"Philadelphia offers east coast weather and San Francisco pee smell at practically Midwestern prices. The quintessential American city."

Is that from their tourism bureau?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on July 26, 2016, 06:03:56 pm
I wouldn't be surprised, but it was some guy on Twitter.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on July 26, 2016, 09:15:37 pm
Man, my family doesn't even go into SF anymore.  I do, on occasion, but I have way lower standards I guess.  My wife can't admire the architecture and views when she has her hand over her mouth on account of stenches.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on July 28, 2016, 04:00:48 pm
That had better be a part of his inauguration act speech
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on July 28, 2016, 07:33:52 pm
Hey Inev, read this book for me and tell me if it's good. It's kind of like a book about the recent history of zoos for people who are more interested in urban planning?
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Renewal-Flight-Animal-Quadrant-ebook/dp/B00V4426IU/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr= (https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Renewal-Flight-Animal-Quadrant-ebook/dp/B00V4426IU/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on August 03, 2016, 04:32:53 pm
Learned a cool animal behavior/psychology word today. "Subsitize."

Subsitizing is when you look at something and know how many there are without actually counting. Research has found that a lot of animals can do this to a point, like birds that notice if one of their eggs is missing, or toddlers who can't count to 4 but notice you ate one of their chicken nuggets.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on August 04, 2016, 01:41:07 am
Learned a cool animal behavior/psychology word today. "Subsitize."

Subsitizing is when you look at something and know how many there are without actually counting. Research has found that a lot of animals can do this to a point, like birds that notice if one of their eggs is missing, or toddlers who can't count to 4 but notice you ate one of their chicken nuggets.

It's "subitize (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subitizing)", not "subsitize".

Is there a word for when you know that a word is misspelled, but don't know the correct spelling?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on August 04, 2016, 03:58:03 am
what a shame, I figured the red underline was because it wanted me to type Subsidize.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on August 04, 2016, 12:57:15 pm
It's "subitize (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subitizing)", not "subsitize".

Is there a word for when you know that a word is misspelled, but don't know the correct spelling?

If there isn't there should be.  Somebody dig up Rich Hall.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Asherdan on August 04, 2016, 05:53:13 pm
Inev, (http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on August 06, 2016, 02:12:46 am
This is an all-time great. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vN_PEmeKb0)

We're not in... Australia
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on August 16, 2016, 02:51:28 pm
This "Philly Affordable Housing" group I joined is like one big Onstad joke.

Hi, I'm Quori, me and my partner Khenya are looking for a bedroom in a communal space, no more than $400 a month. We also have 2 cats, and they are truly *loving spirits* but do not get along with other cats/animals. I'm a skateboard artisan and Khenya tie dies t-shirts. 420 friendly a must. our true home is at Burning Man every summer. (picture of man in white yachting cap ?? and woman with shaved head)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 16, 2016, 03:13:34 pm
Patton Oswalt tweeted this out yesterday. Apparently he and I are both 12 years old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55XtHV_vwcY
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on August 24, 2016, 08:05:43 am
This is an all-time great. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vN_PEmeKb0)

We're not in... Australia

fuck*ng awesome!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on November 04, 2016, 07:54:37 am
The last line of this Wikipedia article. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampshire_pig)

Hey-O!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on November 07, 2016, 11:34:46 pm
Mmm, good carcass quality
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on November 08, 2016, 05:32:59 am
That article has been edited.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 22, 2016, 06:55:50 pm
Holy SHIT. I demand a recording of Brak singing "TV Party" this instant.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on December 07, 2016, 11:34:09 pm
Those are some faulty working dog genes on display.  Hopefully spayed/neutered.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 10, 2016, 01:18:32 am
That's a very satisfying thread.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 17, 2016, 09:59:11 am
The older I get the more I realize I don't know shit about shit and if I'm lucky I'll live long enough to progress to not knowing jack about squat.

That's a very unusual attitude. In my experience as most people age become more and more out of touch yet somehow think they know more than others.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 26, 2017, 08:41:45 pm
My lips are dry as hell.  I just switched back to hand rolled cigarettes and blamed that.  This is a thing with the weather though?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 27, 2017, 08:56:48 pm
Hahaha.  Fuckin' awesome.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 02, 2017, 08:30:17 pm
Quote from: Asherdan link=topic=6534.msg210721#msg210721 date=1486055881[url=http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/brown-note/
brown note[/url]

Good Lord! Wait, was this the secret chord of King David?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on February 02, 2017, 08:56:22 pm
I think maybe you're squeezing to hard on that barre chord.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on February 18, 2017, 08:08:22 pm
A thing that is driving me crazy: the (at least) 3 different things people mean when they talk about "rights"

1. a legal right. "congress shall make no law..."
Even if, say, a constitutional right is being violated, this right still legally exists. You can appeal to it, like "you are violating my rights."

2. a practical right. "black people gained the right to vote with the Voting Rights Act."
Sure, technically black men got the "right" to vote after the end of the civil war, and black women with the 19th amendment-- but repression was significant enough that this was only a right on paper.

3. a thing I really think people should have. "Health care is a human right."
This is a strong way of saying "in my opinion this is really important." I don't see how this is ever an argument for... anything.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on February 20, 2017, 07:22:04 pm
This greeted me at work. Probably not a good sign:

(https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16730322_1325855464151223_6879892216067856448_n.jpg?oh=3d4af4647454e874125faa7b36958ed8&oe=5945D722)
In an epic failure of engineering, the 100+ person building I work in has only one bathroom (well, two, but lawsuits - also they clean both the mens' and womens' simultaneously, so there is no emergency recourse).  Everyone gets testy when it's cleaning time.  And slippery floors be damned, I'm going through the caution tape once the chemical clouds dissipate.
Extra bonus, of the 4 sink basins for washing up, only one hasn't had the faucet completely blocked by hard water deposits.  Not everyone waits in line to wash their hands anymore.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on March 04, 2017, 08:25:30 pm
Come on people, apparently Jough rebooted the board while his wife was in the middle of giving birth, and you're not positing anything?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 05, 2017, 04:05:08 am
It takes a minute to gear back up after the board has been down for almost a week.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 06, 2017, 02:43:34 pm
I am boring and have nothing interesting to say.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 06, 2017, 03:49:54 pm
I've been playing a lot of dominos at the abandoned zoo.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on March 06, 2017, 07:56:42 pm
Is that what you kids are calling it these days.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on March 06, 2017, 08:40:05 pm
Lacrosse season is in full swing, so I'm in hot water with the Mrs because it's "lacrosse, lacrosse, lacrosse" as far as she's concerned.  My team this year is more talented on average, but very small.  We started preseason with 10 (and it takes 10 on the field to play a game!), then lost one to hockey playoffs, and a second to a basketball injury.  I've been on the kids to recruit friends, and we've gotten 3 more since then.  Supposedly some of the other coaches are going to hold "Try lacrosse" lunchtime clinics at the local middle schools, and we'll do a couple free weekend ones too.  If I can round up 2 or three more new recruits, and my hurt and hockey-distracted ones come back and contribute, then I could have a decent team halfway through the season.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 07, 2017, 12:55:36 am
I've been playing a lot of dominos at the abandoned zoo.

I think this statement requires a little more parsing.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 07, 2017, 12:57:37 am
My dad died. That's been taking me out of things.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 07, 2017, 08:26:51 pm
I'm sorry Paul, I'll send you good thoughts.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 08, 2017, 09:53:24 pm
I'm sorry Paul, I'll send you good thoughts.

Thanks, man!
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 10, 2017, 02:05:59 am
It's been two weeks and I'm still thinking of him in the present tense.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on March 13, 2017, 07:14:25 pm
Take it up with the President.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2017, 11:14:58 pm
This is not the politics thread, but yeah, Trump eats taco salads (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChtuyP0VEAQZlY1.jpg), literally the lamest form of Mexican food, he takes his steak well done AND with ketchup (http://www.eater.com/2017/2/28/14753248/trump-steak-well-done-ketchup-personality), he loves KFC (http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2734850.1470111613!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/kfc2n-4-web.jpg), he eats pizza with a fork (https://i.imgur.com/kMejNxo.jpg), also, in that picture it looks like he's hitting on Sarah Palin and she's creeped out, he apparently eats pizza crust first sometimes (https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-05/23/12/campaign_images/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane03/donald-trump-has-endorsed-eating-pizza-backwards-2-31814-1464022467-2_dblbig.jpg), he loves McDonald's and all fast food restaurants (http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/02/mind-boggling-reason-donald-trump-loves-mcdonalds) because he thinks they are cleaner. It must have been a real blow for him when Andrew Pudzner withdrew his name as Labor Secretary.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 16, 2017, 10:43:43 pm
Probably speed heads aren't who you want to talk to about food?  At least he's not just having like 4 mountain dews and a pack of hi-chews?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on March 17, 2017, 11:40:43 pm
Had an Aussie friend that ate tacos with a knife and fork.  Thought it was ridiculous to eat something with your hands that falls apart.  I chose to pick other battles.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on March 31, 2017, 04:02:28 am
Had an Aussie friend that ate tacos with a knife and fork.  Thought it was ridiculous to eat something with your hands that falls apart.  I chose to pick other battles.

You know...
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 31, 2017, 12:46:35 pm
Had an Aussie friend that ate tacos with a knife and fork.

(https://frinkiac.com/meme/S06E16/800699.jpg?b64lines=IFlPVSBDQUxMIFRIQVQgQSBLTklGRT8gCiBUSElTIElTIEEgS05JRkUuCg==)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2017, 08:40:02 pm
Had an Aussie friend that ate tacos with a knife and fork.  Thought it was ridiculous to eat something with your hands that falls apart.  I chose to pick other battles.

Wise.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on April 09, 2017, 02:13:52 pm
So, my nuclear family still have a family cell phone plan, and I just send my parents the money every month for my bill. We had a grandfathered-in unlimited data plan for a long time but this year my dad did the math and said we'd never used all the data, and it would be way cheaper to go to a smaller plan. I pointed out that it seems likely that phones will only use more data over time, and also that once we leave the unlimited plan we can't get it back. No, that doesn't make sense Dan.

Now my brother and I moved to new cities we don't know how to get around and my sister got a car, and our plan runs out of data every single month due to google maps usage. Yeesh.

Yes, I am a 28 year old man with a job still on the family phone plan. I guess that is the punchline here.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2017, 07:54:42 pm
Yeah, that's infuriating, but get your own damn phone plan.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on April 19, 2017, 09:46:26 pm
How many times did y'all move before you "settled down?" I mean between cities/states, not apartments or neighborhoods. A friend from STL posted today that she is moving to NYC which is very exciting, but also means she is leaving behind her BF of several years. Based on conversations with other people I know this was a really hard decision for her but a job opportunity came up that she felt like she couldn't turn down after years of stagnation at a small firm. I also know that many of my friends have had similar experiences-- having to choose between a relationship and a job. I know one guy whose GF moved back to St Louis to be with him and she's still waiting tables over a year later.

I wonder how much this keeps people in my generation single and miserable. Personally I know that it has been really hard for me to move for grad school and then again for my current job... I'm really slow to make friends and it's painful to be back at square one yet again at almost 29 years old. In New York I have tons of acquaintances, but nobody I'd call without hesitation.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on April 19, 2017, 11:01:16 pm
This doesn't sound unique to your generation.

I moved to Boston for college, dropped out and went to another college there, moved to Amherst for grad school and had a long distance relationship which lasted through a one year job in Toronto, then we broke up, then I moved to DC, then we got back together.

Also while I'm probably worse at this than many people, I think it's hard for everyone to make new friends after college. Even after 20 years here, my very best friends are people who live elsewhere (from high school and grad school) and my good friends here don't live very close - probably my best friend here lives in Baltimore so it's really not practical to do much of anything together.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 20, 2017, 02:02:37 pm
I stayed in Lancaster for a year after college, then moved to New Mexico for about a year and a half. Then I moved to DC, and while I've been varying distances from the District itself I've basically been here ever since.

Agreed on the difficulty of making friends as you get older. What generates friendships is sharing common experiences. In high school and college you're placed into classes and living situations with random people and it's easy to do stuff together. Many of my best friends in DC were people I lived in group houses with. Others were from sports teams--soccer, softball. My best new friends of the past couple years are the guys from the band, which makes sense--we get together for practice almost weekly, play gigs, drink beer.
It doesn't quite translate to work, especially as you get older. When you're in your 20s and still going out a lot it can be easy to socialize with co-workers the same age if you're cool with that. But I know as I've gotten older, I've largely (though not entirely) kept work and personal life separated.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on April 20, 2017, 04:40:02 pm
Right, shared experiences, and those happen without any effort at school - you're sharing the experience of school. After that you need to actually DO something to have experiences with other people.  Friends at work is complicated and they often don't translate to friends after you leave that job, so you can't rely just on that.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 20, 2017, 06:38:27 pm
While adult friends are tough, I think adult couple friends are the ultimate white elephant.

Truth. One of my best friends from high school is married to Mrs. del Vaca's cousin, and they have two girls about the same age as ours. They live in Cali. At one point, he lost his job, had some interviews, and was facing down a choice of staying there (preferable to them) vs. moving to Maryland, which isn't exactly around the corner but a hell of a lot closer than CA. They ended up staying there, which I know was better for them for many reasons, but damn if the missus and I weren't desperately hoping they'd come back east. "We could share a beach house every summer!"
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 20, 2017, 06:39:03 pm
Right, shared experiences, and those happen without any effort at school - you're sharing the experience of school binge drinking.

FTFY
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on April 21, 2017, 02:06:30 am
Yeah. I guess I thought it was a generational thing because everyone my dad grew up with and his entire extended family still live in Boston. My mom's family are scattered, but they're immigrants and never really stayed put when they were growing up.

I like a few of my coworkers but we are definitely not going to become friends. That's the thing, everyone says "LOL it's so hard to make friends in your 20s" but everyone I meet clearly already has friends.

I met one person who seems to be in the same boat as me. She has a long-distance boyfriend and I think (?) that we were both vibing hard and decided to keep our distance a little. But damn, she is great and lives on my block.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 21, 2017, 07:26:42 pm
In other news: no, I'm not crying because of Patton Oswalt's posts, YOU'RE crying.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 27, 2017, 01:31:03 am
In other news: no, I'm not crying because of Patton Oswalt's posts, YOU'RE crying.

Is this something new or is it about his wife?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 27, 2017, 01:12:17 pm
Is this something new or is it about his wife?

The latter. One year after.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on May 03, 2017, 11:45:42 am
Here's an interesting article about an old-school internet community that is still hanging on. Even old-schooler than us.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/05/echo-growing-old-online/524577/ (https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/05/echo-growing-old-online/524577/)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on May 06, 2017, 03:02:38 pm
Here's an interesting article about an old-school internet community that is still hanging on. Even old-schooler than us.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/05/echo-growing-old-online/524577/ (https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/05/echo-growing-old-online/524577/)

Good article.  Sounds pretty familiar.  Sort of heart-warming, really.  Do we need to make a pact that we'll come hang out at each other's deathbeds?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on May 06, 2017, 03:46:22 pm
It might be the only way some of us will ever meet each other.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Doc on May 07, 2017, 03:47:20 am
Ideally we should all meet at Onstad's deathbed.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on May 07, 2017, 01:13:25 pm
But what if all the people in those Facebook groups are there too? We might not even be able to find each other in the crowd.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 08, 2017, 12:58:29 pm
But what if all the people in those Facebook groups are there too? We might not even be able to find each other in the crowd.

They'll all be yelling at Paul, so we can just meet there.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 22, 2017, 04:23:58 am
They'll all be yelling at Paul, so we can just meet there.

I'll be like a beacon.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on May 23, 2017, 12:08:48 am
What is the right way to respond to this?

My friend's BF is involved in the same lefty political club as me, and also does a lot of stuff related to Judaism and social justice (peace between Israel/Palestine, interfaith dialogue, whatever). He constantly sends me email/facebook invites to this stuff... and I am not Jewish. I think it would be very weird for me to show up to these events. Do I just say... dude... I'm not Jewish? Or just keep ignoring the invites?

Now that I think about it, this could be a plot for me to meet some leftist jewish women.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 23, 2017, 03:43:52 am
Now that I think about it, this could be a plot for me to meet some leftist jewish women.

Jewish guys going with non Jewish women is such a common thing they have a name for it. They don't have a word for Jewish women going with non Jewish men*. I wonder why this is?

*I don't know if this is actually true.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on May 23, 2017, 03:55:35 am
I don't think they have a word, and it's kind of for a reason-- the tradition is that you are Jewish as long as you come from a Jewish womb. So if a Jewish woman gets with a goyish guy that's kind of fine. But if you're a Jewish dude and you go out chasing shiksas, your kids are NOT JEWISH and it's a SHONDA.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on May 23, 2017, 04:20:49 pm
If he's interested in interfaith dialogue, how's that going to happen unless he invites people who aren't Jewish?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on May 23, 2017, 09:03:52 pm
That was a bad example. The things he invites me to are like "JEWS FOR JUSTICE IN PALESTINE"
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 28, 2017, 11:56:44 pm
My best friend is a Jew who's married to a Catholic. Both of his kids are technically Jewish. There's some paperwork involved.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: jaydub on July 06, 2017, 05:40:35 pm
If the Y axis is {"people who piss me off" / "all people"}, it would actually mean you're doing better this year.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on July 17, 2017, 06:15:11 pm
So I am having the... oddest, shall we say, experience with a job I interviewed for.

I got an email from the HR person last week saying she wanted to "touch base." We agreed on a 12.45 Friday call. At 11 am the phone rang and I saw her number so I picked up. She apologized for calling "a little early" but I said if she would just give me a minute, yes I had time to talk. I was in the middle of five things, I had to at least crate the dog and save a file and go upstairs to my office so we could talk quietly. When I got there - I swear it was not more than a minute - she was gone. Assuming we'd been cut off, I called back, but got voicemail. I also emailed to apologize and said I was still available.

No response, so I assumed she was going to call at the previously arranged time, so I made sure I was at my desk at that time. Nothing. I didn't hear anything till an email four hours later where she explained that she'd been working in a conference room which was why she didn't get my call. Which didn't explain why she didn't call again? And she said she would follow up Monday to arrange a time to talk.

It's 2 on Monday now and no word from her.  I don't know how to interpret this. I haven't interviewed for an actual job in so long I don't know what's normal, but this seems strange. If they are calling with an offer, this seems so disorganized at best, it seems like it would not be a good way to convince someone to work for their organization, don't you think? But could she really be calling to tell me no? These days people don't even bother to email to tell you you didn't get the job. In that context, setting up a phone call to tell me I didn't get it - and dragging it out this long - would be a cruel trick, like sending someone a fat envelope with a college rejection.

I am bewildered. I'd really just like to know what's going on so I can get on with my life. I have the email for the editor who interviewed me and will probably follow up with him tomorrow if I don't hear from her, but I am not sure what to say. If she hadn't contacted me I could just say I was wondering if he knew when they would make a decision. But now, I can't just not mention it, but am not sure what to say.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on July 19, 2017, 11:11:11 pm
OMG. So this is the news she was trying to avoid delivering...  This extremely major media company went through the entire process of interviewing and deciding who they wanted to offer this remote position to, BEFORE checking whether they could legally hire someone who lives in Maryland. Which they can't.

They still want me to freelance for them, which is great, except now I'm back to being on tenterhooks to see what happens with the health care bill and whether I will just have to expect to die of not having health insurance when the Tech Staff retires soon.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Doc on July 20, 2017, 05:48:30 am
People are kind of self centred shits. Corporations too.

Is it worth asking why you can't legally hire someone from another state? Is there state based segregation there that we don't know about?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on July 20, 2017, 11:18:02 am
It has something to do with their tax status in different states and maybe other things, she started to use the word "liability" but I don't know the details because I cut her off, not being interested in their excuses. I have seen other remote jobs advertising that they could only hire people living in certain states, so it's a thing. What's not a thing is not realizing that you have this problem BEFORE you try to hire people. And I am not mentioning any names (yet) (I don't want to make them mad, because I may still work for them on a freelance basis) but this is NOT some fly by night company, I can 100% guarantee everyone knows their name.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 20, 2017, 12:33:19 pm
It isn't necessarily that they CAN'T hire someone in Maryland, it could be that it would require jumping through hoops and it would be a hassle so they don't WANT to. Not the same thing.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on July 20, 2017, 01:31:10 pm
Whatever it is, it's something they really should have figured out BEFORE the editorial side decided to put me through the interview process and really before they posted the ad. Because if you're correct, I assume there really is a difference of opinion here - editorial wants to hire me and HR doesn't want to deal with the hoops. If they just decided they didn't want to hire me, they would not have to make up such a bizarre story.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on July 20, 2017, 05:44:56 pm
It's entirely bizarre. I'm waiting to see if they really contact me about working freelance and whether I can get more of the story from the editorial side. Because seriously, I have never had a job interview process in my life where they talked so much like this was a done deal, and if they just changed their minds, fine, it happens, but why not just a polite form rejection email like normal?

The more I think about the "can't" the more mysterious it seems. On the one hand, Major Newspaper Company acquired Major Website fairly recently so maybe they don't have prior experience with remote hires. On the other hand, Major Newspaper has a DC bureau and it's hard to believe some of those people don't live in the Maryland suburbs.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on August 14, 2017, 07:08:02 pm
Oh yeah. So sad.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on August 15, 2017, 06:36:59 pm
OK, more than sad. What the fuck is the matter with people who call someone who has lost their dog and lie about seeing it? That is just plain evil.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on August 16, 2017, 02:57:13 pm
Beef's dream? (http://i.imgur.com/GkWVChw.gifv)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on August 29, 2017, 10:16:30 pm
Aw crap. Lileks said on Twitter they found the dog's remains.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on August 30, 2017, 01:31:26 pm
I didn't see that. Should I not look for it? I'm not feeling particularly... resilient, at the moment.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on August 30, 2017, 03:35:26 pm
Aw crap. Sorry.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on August 30, 2017, 05:59:08 pm
Oh man. Why do we care so much? Why does it have to be so hard? fuck*ng dogs.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: miles on August 30, 2017, 11:24:57 pm
Oh man. Why do we care so much? Why does it have to be so hard? fuck*ng dogs.

I read his tweets this morning and one of them ended with "hug your pup." Which I did, both of them, right away.

But seriously,  fuck*ng dogs.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on August 31, 2017, 12:09:25 am
Not reading, not reading, not reading.  Hugging, hugging, hugging.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on September 06, 2017, 04:49:27 am
So I've given myself plantar fasciitis by walking around all day every day in flat shoes. Fuck.

Ordered some orthopedic inserts for my work shoes, started doing stretching exercises.

My dad mailed me this little rubber cylinder that you roll your arch on to stretch it...

My friends, it feels better than sex.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on September 06, 2017, 11:59:33 am
Freeze a little bottle of water and roll your foot on it, the ice is supposed to help also.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: AugustWest on September 06, 2017, 01:14:20 pm
I have these (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PJTXT0/ref=asc_df_B000PJTXT05157134/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395009&creativeASIN=B000PJTXT0&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167137526383&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18041137415929660971&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014329&hvtargid=pla-307480575966) and these. (https://www.amazon.com/Yamuna-Body-Rolling-Foot-Saver/dp/B0006IJ9SU/ref=pd_bxgy_200_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0006IJ9SU&pd_rd_r=1SQM0WWC3QA4DW869AMR&pd_rd_w=o7pjG&pd_rd_wg=EpNZY&psc=1&refRID=1SQM0WWC3QA4DW869AMR)  Pretty pricey for little plastic half-balls, but thankfully they were a gift.  They hurt like hell/work great.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on September 10, 2017, 02:42:44 pm
Thanks for the tips! The roller thing stopped feeling good after a few days, I wonder what that means?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on September 29, 2017, 04:25:16 pm
Lileks got a new pup.
http://lileks.com/bleats/archive/17/0917/092917.html (http://lileks.com/bleats/archive/17/0917/092917.html)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on September 29, 2017, 10:20:11 pm
I'm a little concerned about his choice honestly. Another hound mix possibly with the same urge to run away... I've become very dubious about these transport programs that bring dogs from the rural South to be adopted in cities - they are not necessarily suited to urban life. And that puppy is past the critical socialization period.

But, don't let me spoil it. It'll probably be fine, overthinking these things is basically my job.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on September 30, 2017, 10:36:47 pm
I have a weird little succulent that I can't identify. It had one weird (frond? branch? what is this part called?) that grew off in an ugly direction and I cut it off. Now the thing is freaking out. All of the (whatever they are called) which used to point towards the sun are now pointing in different directions and seem to move randomly day by day. I've traumatized my little friend...
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on October 01, 2017, 04:59:52 pm
well. great. I finally hatched a plan to go to Chile for a week and now it might fall through. My grandparents are moving to the US so if this trip doesn't work out I'll never get to be there with them.

Lately I keep thinking "I wasted my 20s." I would like to stop thinking that. In the end I am set up in a career, living in a city I love, and I made a lot of great friends. But I wish I could have skipped some of the anxiety and misery. And gone to Chile.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on October 01, 2017, 05:28:55 pm
Lately I keep thinking "I wasted my 20s." I would like to stop thinking that. In the end I am set up in a career, living in a city I love, and I made a lot of great friends. But I wish I could have skipped some of the anxiety and misery. And gone to Chile.

Count your blessings. Everyone gets the anxiety and misery, not everyone manages the other parts.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 02, 2017, 01:57:08 am
My car just stopped working (I live in the Los Angeles suburbs- also not working=dead for good) and I don't even have an apartment.  But also like I know who I'm gonna marry.  Idk, fuck it dude?  Everything happens at different times for different people- just keep trying. 
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on October 02, 2017, 02:47:48 am
Thanks kh, thanks wombat.

I just wish I could have chilled out a little.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: wombat on October 02, 2017, 04:51:56 pm
I wish that about every decade of my life so far.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on October 02, 2017, 10:16:25 pm
That's kind of reassuring and kind of not!

It looks like I can (tentatively) go to Chile. Good.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: theinevitable on October 04, 2017, 12:53:14 am
I'm going. i even found a weird direct flight. Time to go into spanish practice overdrive.
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 04, 2017, 05:35:21 pm
(http://www.bigfool.com/huuugs/yay.png)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 28, 2018, 01:10:59 pm
Ash! Did you quit the tweeters?
I was going to tweet this at you this morning, but couldn't find you.
(http://www.bigfool.com/boop.jpg)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 28, 2018, 01:23:03 pm
imagine that is rotated 90 degrees
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 28, 2018, 03:35:38 pm
My youngest draws approximately 75 hosss per day, and as a result has gotten pretty good at it. Only kid in 6th grade at her school to have TWO pieces selected for the pyramid art show... and they were both of hosss.

Last Sunday we were at the barn and I managed to boop 7 of the 8 hoss noses there. Moe refused to come over when I called him, and I didn't bother going to get treetz to get his attention. (I can finally name them all from memory: Charm, Gracie, Noelle, Boston, Casey, Bailey, Huey, and Moe. The last four are a herd group and they remind me of the Pac Man ghosts.)
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 28, 2018, 06:29:49 pm
BTW, have younse's noticed that the 'Stad kid we used to get toddler updates on is now a hossy person?

Why no I haven't. Which social media is this on?
Title: Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 11, 2019, 04:13:50 pm
https://twitter.com/helen/status/1094477092845105152