Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348083 times)

0 Members and 194 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8805 on: December 28, 2010, 06:59:41 pm »

Yeah, it's -70 (F) with wind chill. Pretty bad, but not the worst ever. The worst I've ever had to actually go outside and work in was -55 (F) ambient, -100 (F) + (or minus?) with the wind chill. The worst part is when you are really, really fuck*ng cold and your extremities hurt and you know you have no option but to stay out for a few more minutes before you can go in, or you realize that you can stay out a few more, or have to go back out in a bit for a longer amount of time.

We have these runs of pipe that we have to hammer up for semi-permanent installations to move fluids or gas. Back when I spent lots of time outside doing manual labor stuff, we were knocking one of them up (the connections are threaded, but tightened by hitting them with sledges) and a big chunk of metal split off and flew up and struck me right in the mouth, and my lower lip sort of exploded. That sucked, but there was nothing for it but to finish up. I also once had someone set down a chunk of iron weighing about 250 lbs (a valve assembly) on the tip of one of my fingers, splitting it open. I knew it was all fucked, but I just left the glove on and finished up, because what are you going to do? There ain't no fixing it, and I knew if I took my glove off I was done for the day.

Fortunately any more they let you stop and take breaks whenever you need, for pretty much as long as it takes. It's a much more forgiving place to work nowadays (hey, thanks for being reasonable once I move inside you bastards).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8806 on: December 28, 2010, 07:06:01 pm »

And, of course, I only have to do this half the time, and I don't handle much of the shoveling duties. And we got lobster for xmas, did I mention that?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8807 on: December 28, 2010, 10:49:36 pm »

Yeah, shit can work catastrophically not right abruptly in the cold.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8808 on: December 29, 2010, 01:32:07 am »

The heat sucks sometimes, but the cold will straight up murder you.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8809 on: December 29, 2010, 02:38:10 am »

Fuck that kind of cold.  Fuck it in the eye.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8810 on: December 29, 2010, 02:50:43 am »

Heat only kills old people. Cold don't give a fuck.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8811 on: December 29, 2010, 02:58:13 am »

Cold don't give a fuck, for sure. But heat kills old people, dogs and babies, which is pretty damn low.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8812 on: December 29, 2010, 03:04:37 am »

Well, you know me. I ain't gonna be a baby again, and I'll never be a dog, so . . .
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8813 on: December 29, 2010, 03:08:46 am »

Well, you know me. I ain't gonna be a baby again, and I'll never be a dog, so . . .

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8814 on: December 29, 2010, 03:36:05 am »

I'll always take cold over heat because at least you can rug up against cold but if it's over 40C with 80 percent humidity and you don't have air-con all you can do is sweat it out and wait for death. I've never lived anywhere it snowed though.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8815 on: December 29, 2010, 03:39:47 am »

I find that, for me, the really extreme cold can be more damaging than the warmest places I've been (though I'm only talking 100 - 110 degrees or so). Quite frankly, where I work now no one should have to be, but it's where the resource is.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8816 on: December 29, 2010, 05:50:41 am »

Both can kill, but -100 will do it faster than +100.

This is why I like San Diego.  I ain't gonna die from exposure in the process of going to or executing my job.

Also, good Mexican food.

Edit: Today I'm gonna pack my suitcase and get ready to fly back there.  I'll miss my family but I am currently missing a quiet place to sleep and a house where my things don't move once I've put them down somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 06:01:36 am by Lister »
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8817 on: December 29, 2010, 01:36:40 pm »

Once I read an ad for a zookeeper job in Santa Barbara that said "must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions" and I was all, how would they even do that? I mean, I guess you could bring in a snow machine in the winter, but what technology could make it 95 degrees and 100% humidity outdoors in an unenclosed space?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8818 on: December 29, 2010, 02:58:34 pm »

I sure don't think of Santa Barbara as being all weather conditions. I mean, I guess they don't mean raining HCl, but still.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8819 on: December 29, 2010, 05:12:08 pm »

A fee!

Today I'm gonna try and do my job in spite of the fact practically everyone I work with is on vacation until Jan 5th.  Lots of sending emails and voice-mails off into the abyss.  I don't like being unproductive.  There was a time in my life where I like getting paid to do little or nothing, but that time is in the past.  At least I have an actual, work related meeting with someone over lunch at this rad, working class lunch counter.  If I can be productive and eat a clubhouse sandwich at the same time, it is truly a sign that things are awesome.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 878   Go Up