The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on April 05, 2006, 12:37:11 am

Title: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 05, 2006, 12:37:11 am
Dammit all to hell, I just ordered 4 Bonnie "Prince" Billy disc from Amazon.com and forgot to update my address first.  Now i've got all that great music headed to Houston and I need it here.  I need it.

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: CortJstr on April 05, 2006, 12:46:54 am
I've been aquiring back-catalog stuff from Spoon and Sleater-Kinney. And on a whim I decided to check out The Eyeliners and Sloan neither of which I'd ever heard before. I'm thinking I like.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 05, 2006, 12:54:19 am
I've just rediscovered a couple Smiths albums I hadn't heard in a while, so that's good fun.


But mainly I've been listening to a lot of late 80's to mid 90's hip hop.  I'm particularly fond of Nas (hence my sig) right now.  I'm pretty much of the opinion that Illmatic is one of the best albums of all time.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 05, 2006, 12:57:16 am
That's why we puff lye.

Lots of Sait Etienne for me, lately.  New Calexico and BtS next week, though!  They will rule my computer, ipod and car stereo for, like, days.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: misterqueue on April 05, 2006, 12:58:24 am
I'm particularly fond of Nas (hence my sig) right now.  I'm pretty much of the opinion that Illmatic is one of the best albums of all time.

Wrong.  That honor is currently held by Aesop Rock's album "Float". (See also "Labor")

Though sometimes it's held by Blonde Redhead's "Misery Is a Butterfly".  Hrm.. and Pinback.

Dammit.  Today, I have been delving into my past and listening to Massive Attack.  I think the last time I heard this a stripper was using it as her music somewhere in Portland, OR.  I only went there for the cheap dinner and the coworkers mostly though (mostly.)
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 05, 2006, 01:01:39 am
Wrong.  That honor is currently held by Aesop Rock's album "Float". (See also "Labor")

Well I did also say "one of" the best albums of all time, there's more than room for two "one of" the best albums.  And besides, we all know the best album ever is The Soft Bulletin.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: V-Adore on April 05, 2006, 01:46:40 am
I've been spending an excessive amount of time lately listening to Illinois. Especially "Casimir Pulaski Day." I'm not sure whether I should be ashamed of myself or not.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on April 05, 2006, 02:28:16 am
Casimir Pulaski day is beautiful.

I gave my burned copy of that album to a friend who's going to U Chicago, so... that's my next music purchase.

after the new flaming lips cd.

right now, I am listening to: Black Flag (The First Four Years), In a Priest-Driven Ambulance, Some random ska/reggae songs that I put on a cd...

I am hell of depressed, because I listened to Nevermind for the first time in several months yesterday... and I couldn't get into it at all.
Nirvana has been my favorite band since I was probably 13. And listening to it, it just sounded... commercial. And I hate myself for thinking that.

Also, I made a playlist on iTunes of all the unplayed songs I have-- which is very very many (right now, several thousand). I have put them in order of track length, and I"m going from shortest to longest.

Right now, I'm up to 50 seconds long. But that's not really true, because there are some shorter songs that it skipped because I have them unchecked.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on April 05, 2006, 03:34:34 am
I'm mostly being disappointed with music by artists who used to be relevant.  The new Morrissey: shite.  The new Flaming Lips: blah.  The new Prince: blech.  New Strokes: too limp to stroke.  Franz Ferdinand's second album?  Assassinated.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: robot_god on April 05, 2006, 04:31:56 am
Well, the last week at Virgin Megastore I bought Eric Dolphy - Out There, reissued from 1960, and Hiromi - Spiral, released this January.  Hiromi is this young Japanese girl that plays jazz piano, but her songs have sort of a progressive rock feel, very written out, odd time signatures and whatnot, she plays with a drummer and electric bass.

And the last stuff I downloaded was some Henry Mancini compilations and I have this 90% Ornette Coleman torrent going right now that will probably never get completed.

And today I played through David Gilmour's self-titled solo album from '78.

Hmm, I haven't heard that new album he just released.  Anyone?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Hobot on April 05, 2006, 04:43:12 am
My new playlist of recently-acquired music includes the following artists: Bell Orchestre, Faunts, Function (Ensemble), Gregor Samsa, Khoiba, Margot & the Nuclear So and So's, Metal Hearts, Mugison, Saxon Shore, Swords, and Valley of the Giants.  If you enjoy ambient indie music, you may enjoy some of the aforementioned bands.  Khoiba, in particular, gets my recommendation.

Per usual, I will suggest listening to Denali, the lead singer of which has, quite possibly, the most beautiful voice in the history of the world.  Download "Gunner" and see if you don't agree.*




*If you don't agree, you can FUCK OFF.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AugustWest on April 05, 2006, 05:08:48 am
Well, the last week at Virgin Megastore I bought Eric Dolphy - Out There, reissued from 1960, and Hiromi - Spiral, released this January.  Hiromi is this young Japanese girl that plays jazz piano, but her songs have sort of a progressive rock feel, very written out, odd time signatures and whatnot, she plays with a drummer and electric bass.

And the last stuff I downloaded was some Henry Mancini compilations and I have this 90% Ornette Coleman torrent going right now that will probably never get completed.

And today I played through David Gilmour's self-titled solo album from '78.

Hmm, I haven't heard that new album he just released.  Anyone?

Wow.  Virtually all of the time I read these music threads with little or no comprehension.  You kids today and your crazy hepcat music! 

But this post.  This post I can actually relate/respond to.

Eric Dolphy - Out There is a wonderful album, as I recall.  It's been a long time since I've listened to it, but I'll think you'll find it a keeper.  see also Copenhagen Concert.

Ornette Coleman.  Cannot go wrong with Ornette.  It's amazing how his music from 40 years ago still sounds fresh and alive.

I have both of the old David Gilmour solo albums on vinyl (as well as Rick Wright solo project...)  Gilmour's are good.  Again, it's been a while since I've listened to them since they're on vinyl and it's a major effort to listen to my vinyl.  Have not heard the new one.

How can you not like Mancini?  The guy is a master of the hook.

What have I been listening to?  I downloaded a bunch of Marty Robbins, which is great.  I'm probably going to expand my Procul Harem holdings tomorrow, because I haven't heard anything I don't like yet.  And because of this thread, I'll make it a point to listen to some Ornette tomorrow, and maybe some Freddy Hubbard too.  And some Jimmy Smith.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: robot_god on April 05, 2006, 07:22:37 am
Yeah, yesterday was the first time I listened to Out There and from the first seconds, my brain melted out of my fuckin' head.  And Ron Carter is on cello and Dolphy also plays friggin' bass clarinet and flute.  Holy shit.

I liked the Rich Wright solo, but there were things about it I did not like as well.

I have downloaded the Nick Mason solo album but I'm saving that one.  Perhaps this is going to lead to dissapointment.  No, I shouldn't say that, I have faith in Nick Mason.

There are still about three Floyd albums that I have kept myself hearing to be discovered later.



Tomorrow, I still have the first half of Miles' Big Fun in the car, gotta let that one finish.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Drygioni on April 05, 2006, 01:13:20 pm
Virgin is doing some hella crazy price cuts these days on the oldies, so I've been getting loads of musical goodness on a farmboy's wages. I bought Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division, and if there was ever an album that would make we want to dress in black it's certainly that one. On the other hand, i've discovered the Pogues have so much more to them than 'the Best Christmas Song Ever.'

Hunky Dory era David Bowie is also pretty awesome, as is Iggy Pop. And then of course there's the greatness of punk. Gotta love those Buzzcocks. And Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds are surprisingly good. And of course there's the eternal goodness of Talking Heads. And second wave Ska.

Am I supposed to be talking about recent releases here? Belle and Sebastian's new album is pretty good, in a T-Rex kind of way.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 05, 2006, 01:40:58 pm
Am I supposed to be talking about recent releases here?

Not necessarily.  The (New for 2006) is referring to new thread for talking about music.  Talking about older music is encouraged.

Can no one feel my pain that 4 Bonnie "Prince" Billy albums are mouldering in a mailbox 1500 miles from me.  Horror!!!

~Paul


Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Gimpson on April 05, 2006, 02:35:23 pm
Hmm, I haven't heard that new album he just released.  Anyone?

I like it.  It sounds rather Division Bell like, and I don't think that's a terrible thing. 

I've only listened to the new Flaming Lips once, and there were a few songs I enjoyed ("The Sound of Failure", particularly), but it hasn't grabbed me yet. 

I still find myself listening to Air's Moon Safari on a daily basis.  It's perfect work music.  I'm just now getting around to listening to Beck's Guero, and I'm enjoying it too. 
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 05, 2006, 02:58:01 pm
I'm particularly fond of Nas (hence my sig) right now.  I'm pretty much of the opinion that Illmatic is one of the best albums of all time.

If my i-pod is to be believed, Superwolf is the best by a long shot.  It's really cool to know how many times you've listened to a particular song. 

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 05, 2006, 03:00:58 pm
Heavy rotation:
Neko Case "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood"
New Pornographers "Twin Cinema"
American Analog Set "Set Free"
Josh Rouse "Nashville"
Pernice Brothers "Yours Mine & Ours"
Spoon "Gimme Fiction"
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: smick on April 05, 2006, 03:18:30 pm
Right now I'm listening to some of the stuff off of the upcoming Gnarls Barkley album.

I've also been listening to the last two Frank Black albums (One More Hit For the Show, and Snake Oil).  Before that I picked up Minus 5's Gun Album.   

I'm kind of musically retarded I guess.  Short of Judy's post and Mancini, I don't know much about what you folks are listening to.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 05, 2006, 03:23:02 pm
Heavy rotation:
Neko Case "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood"
New Pornographers "Twin Cinema"
American Analog Set "Set Free"
Josh Rouse "Nashville"
Pernice Brothers "Yours Mine & Ours"
Spoon "Gimme Fiction"

On this list I only have the Neko Case (Thank You Jorge) and it's headed up the chart fast.  I've got one Pernice Brothers song (Crestfallen) that I got off a comp.  I love that song.  I really need to get into this band.  Based on the company it's keeping I'm thinking I need to get into every band on this list.

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: V-Adore on April 05, 2006, 03:51:53 pm
I bought the Neko Case over break but haven't listened to it yet. Perhaps tonight this should change... on the other hand, I also have two old CDs I bought used on the logic that nostalgia for music I listened to in middle school + super-cheapness = win.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: CortJstr on April 05, 2006, 03:58:45 pm
On this list I only have the Neko Case (Thank You Jorge) and it's headed up the chart fast.  I've got one Pernice Brothers song (Crestfallen) that I got off a comp.  I love that song.  I really need to get into this band.  Based on the company it's keeping I'm thinking I need to get into every band on this list.

IMO Gimme Fiction is Spoon's best album. I'm sure somebody will tell me I'm crazy (looking at Q) but I think I like every song on there.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on April 05, 2006, 04:17:14 pm
I've had two Spoon albums sitting on my iPod and I haven't listened to either of them yet.  I'll have to remember to check them out one of these days.

People keep telling me to listen to Coldplay, and I keep telling them that they sound like a less-interesting Radiohead.  But do they listen?  No.

Neko Case (I used to have a Neko Case for my Strat but I sold it) was on one of the late-night talk shows last week.  She was pretty good.  I don't get people who think she's hot, though, what with the big schnozz and manly jaw.  On the other hand, she does have the prettiest little adam's apple I've ever seen on a girl.

I really am liking David Gay's "White Ladder" album, although I got a bunch of his other stuff and don't like it nearly as much.  I felt that way about Dave Matthews' Band, too.  I liked "Under the Table and Dreaming" but everything else just feels like more of the same to me.

I actually really like The Killers.  I thought their album was pretty good.  I don't care how cheesy they are live.  The album was a regular rotation of mine last summer, and I still listen to like, three tracks from it regularly (they're in an iPod playlist).

I still think Harvey Danger's "Flagpole Sitta" is good, though, so don't mind me.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: wombat on April 05, 2006, 04:27:11 pm

Neko Case (I used to have a Neko Case for my Strat but I sold it)


No, no, a Neko Case is what you keep your Hello Kitty collection in.  (I can't stop thinking this because 'neko' is Japanese for 'cat'.)
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: V-Adore on April 05, 2006, 04:28:12 pm
I still think Harvey Danger's "Flagpole Sitta" is good, though, so don't mind me.


Man, don't let anybody mock you for that. Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone? owned. Owned owned owned!

(Seriously. I like it a lot... of course, half my CD collection is still one-hit wonders from the 1996-2000 range. I'm somewhat predictable.)
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 05, 2006, 04:33:38 pm
Derek and the Dominoes Live at the Fillmore.  Nobody Knows you When You're Down and Out.

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Mantonio on April 05, 2006, 04:49:42 pm
I recently bought Gary Numan & The Tubeway Army's "Replicas" and about a dozen or so New Order songs. I also decided to see if Belle and Sebastian really are as good as everybody says they are, so I bought "Dear Catastrophe Waitress." My verdict is that "Step into my office, baby" makes me want to find a secratary to have sex with.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 05, 2006, 05:49:07 pm
I bought the Neko Case over break but haven't listened to it yet. Perhaps tonight this should change...

yes it should.  Now.  NOW NOW NOW!

I think "Kill the Moonlight" is better than "Gimme Fiction," but it's close.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on April 05, 2006, 06:54:28 pm
I also decided to see if Belle and Sebastian really are as good as everybody says they are, so I bought "Dear Catastrophe Waitress." My verdict is that "Step into my office, baby" makes me want to find a secratary to have sex with.

Indeed.  That one's a particularly strange album for B&S - not really representative of their oeuvre.

Yeah, I used the word "oeuvre," motherfucker.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Hobot on April 05, 2006, 08:35:07 pm
Not necessarily.  The (New for 2006) is referring to new thread for talking about music.  Talking about older music is encouraged.

Can no one feel my pain that 4 Bonnie "Prince" Billy albums are mouldering in a mailbox 1500 miles from me.  Horror!!!

~Paul

I misinterpreted this as a thread for music that one has only begun listening to as of 2006.  My bad. 

With this in mind, I have combed through my last.fm charts to bring you the following Hits from Hobot (Not Including the Artists I Mentioned Previously): Radiohead (obviously), Forget Cassettes, Denali (big surprise), Múm, Béla Fleck & the Flecktones, Broken Social Scene, Mogwai, The Album Leaf, Hammock, Iron & Wine, Stars, Carissa's Wierd, Four Tet, Sufjan Stevens, Simon & Garfunkel, Pink Floyd, The Silk Road Ensemble & Yo-Yo Ma, Boards of Canada, God Is an Astronaut, Autechre, Sneaker Pimps, M83, The Decemberists, Neutral Milk Hotel, Pinback, Chopin (classy), Ambulette (the lead singer of Denali's new band), Blonde Redhead, Portishead, and Exit Music (the new Radiohead cover album).

I didn't list particular albums because I tend to listen to everything that I have from a single artist at once.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on April 05, 2006, 08:43:32 pm
Exit Music (the new Radiohead cover album).

Is this one as awful s most tribute albums, or is it worse?

Speaking of Radiohead covers, though, I highly recommend Christopher O'Reilly's album of piano arrangements of Radiohead songs.  They're good "work music" too. 

Also, someone above mentioned Air's "Moon Safari" as a good work album, and that is my favourite work album of all time - I spent my last semester in college pretty much listening to that album while I wrote my papers.  Then I built version 1.0 of Plagiarist.com listening to pretty much that, U2's "All that You Can't Leave Behind", and Radiohead's "Kid A."

Oh yeah, and at Hobot's recommendation (prodding?  cajoling?) I joined last.fm (http://last.fm/user/jough/).  Now YOU TOO can see what Jough is listening to all day.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: BatzRadio on April 05, 2006, 08:44:15 pm
Even though it ain't out yet - and even though what's out may be unmixed - TV on the Radio just keeps sending me right back to Cookie Mountain and I keep enjoying the everliving hell out of it.

Also I'm shocked and amazed that there's already been two great hip-hop albums out this year so far (Ghostface Killah's giraffescale and Kool Keith's Project Polaroid). After 2004 and 2005 I started to write good hip-hop off as a passing thing.

I'm also liking this thing that's out from Citay (Piano Magic/fuck*ng Champs side project).

I think getting Sirius is spoiling my appreciation of new more popular music though. Although this week S-26 started playing this new Camera Obscura song that is really neat and keen.

As far as older stuff, I got a Robert Pollard/Mac McCaughan album a few weeks ago that's much better than the 'forkers gave it credit for being.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on April 05, 2006, 09:05:34 pm
Wombat-- I always think: Cat case? Cat Power. Chan Marshall. That time I watched her sing War Pigs with the Flamings Lips! black sabbath! *on and on forever*
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 05, 2006, 09:51:39 pm
Cat Power. Chan Marshall. That time I watched her sing War Pigs with the Flamings Lips! black sabbath! *on and on forever*

Yeah I talked about that here at one point.  That Flaming Lips show was bizarre and wonderfully awesome.

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on April 06, 2006, 12:26:40 am
I loved that a lot.
that was when I started really liking them.

my parents erased it off of our Tivo thing. they said "but it was so old!"
I was not happy. But... whatever. I guess they needed that space to record House or whatever (of course, I love house, so, I cannot complain.)
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 06, 2006, 12:32:52 am
I recently bought Gary Numan & The Tubeway Army's "Replicas"

That's a really good album.  I think I've downloaded it several times, but still haven't purchased it.  I almost did a couple weeks ago, but I finally came face to face with Serge Gainsbourg's Cannabis, so I opted for that instead.  It was a bit expensive.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 06, 2006, 01:35:33 am
Gnarls Barkley

I like the single, 'Crazy,' which I downloaded sometime before I decided not to download anything illegally anymore.  How is the rest of the material?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Mite on April 06, 2006, 03:21:48 pm
I've been po', so we haven't had much new music lately. But here's what I've been digging on:
Spoon's Gimme Fiction - I agree, every song is great.
Giant Panda's Fly School Reunion - Very early-90sish, funny as hell too.
KleenexGirlWonder's After Mathematics - Old, but lots of fun.

I'll cut anybody who knocks Harvey Danger. Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone is good, and King James Version is even better. Their new album is ok, but I've only listened to it once. And the band the lead singer went on to join, The Long Winters, is spectacular. Buy When I Pretend to Fall now!

But it's not like I have a huge crush on Sean Nelson or anything, especially not one that I've nurtured since about 11th grade. He's a real sweetie, and I hung out with him at a Stephen Malkmus show once!</fangirl>
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: smick on April 06, 2006, 03:24:47 pm
I like the single, 'Crazy,' which I downloaded sometime before I decided not to download anything illegally anymore.  How is the rest of the material?

It's good stuff.  What I picked up (from a torrent) seems to be stuff from the upcoming album, but not all of it.    I never had much exposure to Cee-Lo before.   I've been listening to it on repeat for a couple days, which is a pretty big statement from me.

I had to torrent it though, because I kept going to their myspace page to listen to the 4 songs that are up there.   Myspace makes me feel dirty inside.   More so than stealing music off the internet, so I made an exception.

So far, the shiners seem to be "Crazy" which is apparently getting to be like the crazy frog song in England, and "Just a Thought" which is, I think, my current favorite.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2006, 03:37:08 pm
I like the single, 'Crazy,' which I downloaded sometime before I decided not to download anything illegally anymore.  How is the rest of the material?

I'm a big Willie Nelson fan.  Awesome songwriter.

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 07, 2006, 02:43:19 am
Yeah, but do you prefer his version over Patsy Cline's interpretation?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 07, 2006, 04:05:10 am
Yeah, but do you prefer his version over Patsy Cline's interpretation?

At the moment Willie.  I have a rendition from a bootleg recorded at Red Rocks early last fall and it's so sublime and beautiful.  Shivers.  But the definitive version is totally Patsy.

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AugustWest on April 07, 2006, 04:25:26 am
Not to take anything away from Willie as a songwriter, but wow, what a voice.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Gimpson on April 07, 2006, 05:50:56 pm
Oh yeah, and at Hobot's recommendation (prodding?  cajoling?) I joined last.fm (http://last.fm/user/jough/).  Now YOU TOO can see what Jough is listening to all day.

I was totally enjoying last.fm until my computer at work got reimaged and I could no longer run winamp.  Now I listen to music mainly on an ipod and haven't had the time to get itunes to submit stats properly.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: CortJstr on April 07, 2006, 06:05:45 pm
I was totally enjoying last.fm until my computer at work got reimaged and I could no longer run winamp.  Now I listen to music mainly on an ipod and haven't had the time to get itunes to submit stats properly.

I have to listen to my iPod at work too. This is why my "last played" graphic only changes at night.

The problem is that for Windows there are 3 iTunes plugins and they all have different quirks.

Audiopod is a Java application that you have to run after plugging in the iPod but before running iTunes as it looks at the iPod itself. This means you can't have iTunes auto-open and that you need another plugin to report actual iTunes listens.

JScrob is probably the most popular. It submits based on your Recently Played list. The main disadvantage is that a song can't appear more than once in Recently Played so if Last.fm is down repeat listens won't be reported when it comes back up.

iSproggler is a separate app that runs in the system tray. Whenever you eject your iPod it looks at your iTunes xml file. It has an option to even submit multiple plays from the iPod but this is buggy so I keep it turned off. It caches/submits songs played in iTunes normally. This is also the only one of the 3 that reports MBIDs. Unfortunately this is probably the hardest to install and setup since most people don't even know iTunes has an xml file let alone where they keep it. A couple people have had it not install or run for no discernable reason.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 07, 2006, 06:25:52 pm
Speaking of Radiohead covers, though, I highly recommend Christopher O'Reilly's album of piano arrangements of Radiohead songs.  They're good "work music" too.

Yeah, that's some good shit.  Christopher O'Reilly host a show on NPR called From the Top which features young performers.  It's a really good show.  He's played some Radiohead on there before.

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 07, 2006, 07:58:14 pm
Is there a plug-in for my car stereo?  Cuz that's where I listen to music the most.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on April 07, 2006, 08:07:25 pm
And then sometime yesterday last.fm just stopped updating everything but my most recently played tracks.

Oh well.  I really don't know what I'll actually use last.fm for, other than letting other people look at what I'm listening to, for whatever need that fulfills in their lives.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Gimpson on April 07, 2006, 08:08:13 pm
Is there a plug-in for my car stereo?  Cuz that's where I listen to music the most.

Speaking of which, now that I'm hooked on my ipod, I'm bothered that I can't listen in my car.  Does anybody have any experience with any of the ipod radio transmitters?  I've heard that they don't work well, but there are so many of them out there I have to think that there's at least one that works well. 
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Gimpson on April 07, 2006, 08:10:36 pm
Oh well.  I really don't know what I'll actually use last.fm for, other than letting other people look at what I'm listening to, for whatever need that fulfills in their lives.

I found listening to their friends radio station pretty enjoyable.  I heard some stuff that I wasn't familiar with, and it was all pretty decent.   Also, I am a stats junkie.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on April 07, 2006, 08:10:37 pm
We've discussed this, although I'm too lazy to look it up.

If you live in a city, forget about radio transmitters.  They'll never work, and the radio station that keeps buzzing through your songs will annoy you to no end.

What works best are those cassette adapters, unless of course you have a CD player and no cassette in your car.

A lot of newer head units have line-in jacks that work well, too, and there are other iPod car products.  You could probably buy one per day and not run out of new ones to buy for well over a year.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 07, 2006, 08:27:57 pm
We've discussed this, although I'm too lazy to look it up.

It started Here (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1368.msg57485.html#msg57485) and ended with me hitting a deer (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2667.msg60088.html#msg60088).

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 07, 2006, 09:05:29 pm
I finally got the so-called iPlug installed in my car stereo.  Can listen to the MP3 player in the car now.  Pretty cool.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: CortJstr on April 07, 2006, 10:26:13 pm
And then sometime yesterday last.fm just stopped updating everything but my most recently played tracks.

Oh well.  I really don't know what I'll actually use last.fm for, other than letting other people look at what I'm listening to, for whatever need that fulfills in their lives.

In the forum there's an admin post saying there's a backup while they get a new server up and online. Submissions are being recorded but charts are behind in updating. As always, subscribers get priority.

As for Jough's iPod -> car ideas I agree. The easiest and cheapest option is to use an old cassette adapter leftover from an old discman. Or you get get a special adapter from Belkin that plugs into your lighter to charge at the same time.

Next up would be a car stereo with a line-in jack.

Finally a stereo with full iPod support. I got one of these and honestly I'd wish I'd gone the line-in route instead. Unless you get the super top-of-the-line touch-screen faces the interface is just going to be clunky which defeats part of the purpose of an iPod. Plus now I'm locked it since I can't exactly plug a Diamond Rio into it.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: CortJstr on April 08, 2006, 06:46:58 pm
I found listening to their friends radio station pretty enjoyable.  I heard some stuff that I wasn't familiar with, and it was all pretty decent.   Also, I am a stats junkie.

Have you tried any of the last.fm scripts for Greasemonkey (assuming you use Firefox)?
Last.fm play statistics! (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/2252) will display tracks/week /hour and /day in any users sidebar.
Last.fm Chart Changes (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/1982) will show the changes for each entry on your weekly and overall charts.
And Last.fm Percentage (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/2365) will show what percentage of your overall plays each artist/track makes up to one decimal place. Although I had to edit that last one, because otherwise it rounds anything under 0.1% up to 0.1 so I made it ignore anything under 0.5%
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Thee on April 10, 2006, 08:14:41 pm
I didn't bother to read the 6 or whatever pages of what people are listening to because it's all crap anyway.


Neil Young's "Are You Passionate?" is in heavy rotation right now.  SO cheesy and yet so earnest at the same time.  I think Neil has something wrong in his head.

Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline.

New Coat of Paint, which is a Tom Waits tribute.  Has Screamin' Jay Hawkins on it.  There is no devil, only god when he's drunk.

And Blood Brothers - "Crimes"

just to prove I am still with it
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: robot_god on April 10, 2006, 10:11:31 pm
Greatest music I discovered only last week:  Derek Trucks Band.

I downloaded the lastest release, Songlines.  I always thought he was just a blues player, but the album has all sorts of interesting things going on.  Instrumental guitar rock, spiritual/soul, world music influences.  Good album.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 11, 2006, 01:02:49 am
So I got the new Built to Spill record in the mail today, and I couldn't be more pleased.  Obvious highlights are 'Goin' Against Your Mind' and 'Conventional Wisdom' (the two new songs featured on the band's myspace site (http://www.myspace.com/builttospill)), but I'm excited to finally get a decent recording of long-time personal favorite 'Just a Habit,' so that may be the highlight for me.  'Wherever You Go' seems to me a decent nod to Neil Young and 'Gone' is quickly growing on me.

It's not my favorite BtS record--not even close--but I like it better than Ancient Melodies of the Future, and it's a nice addition to Doug's discography.  And it's just so fuck*ng nice to get a new one after five long years.  Really excited for the upcoming tour.

Neil Young's "Are You Passionate?" is in heavy rotation right now.  SO cheesy and yet so earnest at the same time.  I think Neil has something wrong in his head.

Clearly.  I saw him on The Daily Show not too long ago, and I was biting my nails the entire time.  He did OK though.  And have you seen "The Last Waltz," that Scorsese concert film about The Band?  His performance of 'Helpless' is gorgeous, but he has these crazy stares and facial expressions which create an unsettling stage presence.  I think it somehow added to the performance.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2006, 03:40:54 am
Neil Young's "Are You Passionate?" is in heavy rotation right now.  SO cheesy and yet so earnest at the same time.  I think Neil has something wrong in his head.

Clearly.  I saw him on The Daily Show not too long ago, and I was biting my nails the entire time.  He did OK though.  And have you seen "The Last Waltz," that Scorsese concert film about The Band?  His performance of 'Helpless' is gorgeous, but he has these crazy stares and facial expressions which create an unsettling stage presence.  I think it somehow added to the performance.

Prarie Wind, his latest, is fuck*ng great.  He goes deep.  It was recorded between the time he was diagnosed with an aA-CAPrism and the time he had his surgery.  I haven't heard are you passionate yet, but I think i'm going to Amazon.com right fuck*ng now.  What is it, his 50th. album? or something, and he's still cranking out gold.

~Paul

Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AugustWest on April 11, 2006, 05:42:29 am
What Paul said.

Also, The Last Waltz is the greatest concert movie evar.  If you have not seen it, rent it, or at least listen to the soundtrack.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on April 11, 2006, 06:37:35 am
Agreed.

Stop Making Sense is really good too.  As is Morrissey, Live in Dallas.

I'm just saying.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Emmoh on April 11, 2006, 05:20:15 pm
I've been pretending I'm a lot older than I am, all listening to Over The Edge by The Wipers (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=&sql=10:wsua6j3h7190), Zen Arcade by Husker Du (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fs8gtq2ztu4a), and Jettison by Naked Raygun (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:83420rjac48n).

Oh and The Meadowlands by The Wrens (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:eefnzfo3ehpk), because that's something I do a lot of regardless of how old I'm feeling.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Drygioni on April 11, 2006, 07:13:34 pm
Stop Making Sense is really good too.

Without a doubt the most fantastic concert movie ever. Seriously people, watch this. You will be skipping after watching this film.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on April 11, 2006, 08:49:01 pm
wow, I hated Stop Making Sense so much. it really upset me to watch it. I couldn't stand it.
dang.

Emmoh-- Yay to your music.

a while ago, I was at a concert where an awesome local band opened for The Wrens. I asked my then-girlfriend if she wanted to stay to see them, and she replied "no, they suck."

I assumed they were just some shitty local band. Damn.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Emmoh on April 11, 2006, 09:06:48 pm
then-girlfriend

This is important. This means that she's gone and I don't have to insist that you get rid of her.

In fairness, if you listen to the Wrens once, they don't exactly sink their "talons" into you, after a few listens, though, you suddenly realize they're basically the best band ever...or at least out of New Jersey...right now...






Also, I just realized that I was mixing up Stop Making Sense (which I have never seen) and True Stories (which I have), and am no longer thoroughly confused as to what everyone was talking about.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: lprkn on April 11, 2006, 09:57:36 pm
I'm listening to Monster Magnet and I can't stop.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on April 11, 2006, 10:13:52 pm
yeah.
man, there are so many good bands that I have missed due to ignorance. even if you don't count the ones that came through when I was in 3rd grade or so.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2006, 10:27:06 pm
I'm listening to Monster Magnet and I can't stop.

Have you tried Clutch?

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: lprkn on April 12, 2006, 01:16:48 am
Paul: Clutch's Apostle.

I have indeed Paul. They are an intriguing group, although I haven't listened to them lately. I did hear 'Burning Beard' though, and liked it.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2006, 01:21:13 am
Paul: Clutch's Apostle.

Oh no, i'm just a follower.  The Apostle is our missing friend Arkabee.  Where are you Arkabee?

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on April 12, 2006, 01:32:29 am
oh goodness, do any of you people like Slint?
because Spiderland is ruling my ass. This album is part of the reason I got such a good impression from Wash U-- I went into a record store. I realized I only had 10 $. I looked at two albums-- a neutral milk hotel album, and Spiderland. I finally chose spiderland. I walked outside, and a girl busking right outside the store was playing "in the aeroplane over the sea".

I know that is a stupid reason to like a college, but that stuck with me. that isn't the main reason, or even one of the major reasons...but it's a good story to tell.

also, my english teacher's highschool friend owns the record store. (I forget the name of it. it's the really cool and awesome one on the Loop, for any of you St. Louis-ians.

Anyway. Slint-- love 'em or hate 'em?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 12, 2006, 01:35:53 am
Love 'em.  So does Bozack, if I recall correctly.  Where is he?

Anyway, they rock live, too.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Hobot on April 12, 2006, 01:38:50 am
oh goodness, do any of you people like Slint?
because Spiderland is ruling my ass. This album is part of the reason I got such a good impression from Wash U-- I went into a record store. I realized I only had 10 $. I looked at two albums-- a neutral milk hotel album, and Spiderland. I finally chose spiderland. I walked outside, and a girl busking right outside the store was playing "in the aeroplane over the sea".

I know that is a stupid reason to like a college, but that stuck with me. that isn't the main reason, or even one of the major reasons...but it's a good story to tell.

also, my english teacher's highschool friend owns the record store. (I forget the name of it. it's the really cool and awesome one on the Loop, for any of you St. Louis-ians.

Anyway. Slint-- love 'em or hate 'em?

Don't know of 'em.  But I like your story.

Also, "In the Aeroplane over the Sea" is a wonderful song.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2006, 01:40:10 am
Anyway. Slint-- love 'em or hate 'em?

I gotta explore this band really soon.  I had never heard of Slint until David Pajo hooked up with Billy Corgan in Zwan.  All the press I read was ridiculously high praise.  After hearing Zwan I was left scratching my head.  Then later I got Joya which has Pajo on it and that album is basically like treasure.  About the same time I got a mixdisc (thank you Bozack) which had Papa M on it.  Again, treasure.  So what the fuck am I waiting on.  Damn, gotta head back to Amazon.com.  So is Spiderland the one to get I take it?

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: V-Adore on April 12, 2006, 01:50:17 am
Update re: "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood":

I have started listening to it, and now I can't stop.

Neko Case's voice is remarkable. I think I've said as much before, but it still stands!
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: misterqueue on April 12, 2006, 01:52:06 am
oh goodness, do any of you people like Slint?
because Spiderland is ruling my ass. This album is part of the reason I got such a good impression from Wash U-- I went into a record store. I realized I only had 10 $. I looked at two albums-- a neutral milk hotel album, and Spiderland. I finally chose spiderland. I walked outside, and a girl busking right outside the store was playing "in the aeroplane over the sea".

I know that is a stupid reason to like a college, but that stuck with me. that isn't the main reason, or even one of the major reasons...but it's a good story to tell.

also, my english teacher's highschool friend owns the record store. (I forget the name of it. it's the really cool and awesome one on the Loop, for any of you St. Louis-ians.

Anyway. Slint-- love 'em or hate 'em?

Vintage Vinyl.  It's the best record store here though the Loop basically sucks.

In the Aeroplane over the Sea rocks so hard I can't even tell you.

I like Slint.... so much so that I even got the time Pinback referenced them in AFK.  Um.. that is all.  BLEEP

(Also Euclid records is pretty swank too)
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on April 12, 2006, 02:01:04 am
the review on the record review site explains it like this:

"It's always a pleasure to review a classic album. When you consider that most albums are made by chimpanzees, it's always a treat to run across one that successfully channels an evocative mood through cerebral time signatures, strange made-up guitar chords, sympathetic instrumental interplay and innovative, harrowing melodies. I'm thinking specifically of The Eagles' Greatest Hits '71-'75, but many feel it would be inappropriate to devote the better half of this Slint review page to yet more praise for the Strandlund/Tempchin-penned "Already Gone" or the Tempchin-penned "Peaceful Easy Feeling," no matter how deserved such accolades might be (and ARE, although anyone with two ears could tell you that Tempchin contributed 200% more than Strandlund while receiving only 2/3rds the credit). Thus, I recur.

Nobody knows how Slint got good all of a sudden; it's one of the great unanswerable rock mysteries. You'd might as well ask a member of Queen whether Freddie Mercury was gay or not. It's simply something that we'll never know, and perhaps were never meant to know. But good they did, and get they were. The six lengthy tracks on Spiderland envelope the listener in a cold, damp blanket of desolate loneliness. Like music created by a bunch of emotionally numb yet incredibly talented people isolated in a cabin in the woods, these rainy, hopeless vignettes of sorrow, loss and fatigue paint the same suicidal portrait as the work of legendary Texas recluse Jandek -- but Slint can actually play their instruments! Also they're not completely insane.

Through the replacement of only one member (the bass player, who went on to form King Kong), the entire thinking mode of the band has changed. Although most of the vocals are still spoken word (except for one really poor excuse for singing that you kinda just have to deal with in life today, with terrorism), there is no confusion of intent or lack of purpose. The songs are built upon stark, emotionally bleak guitar hooks, occasionally interspersed with fleeting moments of hope (the 7/4-timed harmonics-driven riff that starts and closes "Breadcrumb Trail"), sick mental hospital creepiness (the unbalanced 5/4 hook that drives "Nosferatu Man") and mesmerizing atonal bass chords ("GOOD MORNING, CAPTAIN"!!!! "GOOD" fuck*ng "MORNING, CAPTAIN!" HAVE YOU FKCING HEARD THIS SONG??? IT'S FDKAKCING INMAZINGBLE!!!! I THINK IT WAS IN KIDS, A MOVIE THAT SUCKED!!!!). The guitar tones are smarter, fuller, and less stupid & immature. The band moves together as a unit, with never a moment wasted. Moments of math-rock (check out the noisy break in "Nosferatu Man," where the dude somehow sneaks two microsecond harmonics between careening blocks of chords - not once, but EVERY time they play it!), expanses of misery-ridden acoustic strumming, haunting late-Swans-style arpeggiated hooks, and finely-timed blasts of distorted blast-chords all play a role in this merciless defeat of the human spirit (that RULES!!!!!)."

anyway. i really love it.

I don't find it boring. some people, however, find it mind-numbingly boring.

also: I can't get into Pinback. I don't know. My crazy uncle (ie: my one "cool" relative who likes punk rock and such) gave me their cd two Christmases ago.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: misterqueue on April 12, 2006, 02:10:16 am

also: I can't get into Pinback. I don't know. My crazy uncle (ie: my one "cool" relative who likes punk rock and such) gave me their cd two Christmases ago.

Which one?  Is it the right one and furthermore why don't you drop by the channel sometime so you can properly be exposed to these things in REAL TIME!
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Hobot on April 12, 2006, 02:24:47 am
Which one?  Is it the right one and furthermore why don't you drop by the channel sometime so you can properly be exposed to these things in REAL TIME!

I second that motion.  Come play with us, theinevitable!  (For ever and ever...)
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AugustWest on April 12, 2006, 03:03:32 am
I am very happy that Vintage Vinyl is still around.  Half my record collection is from there.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2006, 03:06:05 am
I recieved a mixdisc some years ago from one of the denizens of this board.  It's entitled 239,000 miles from the Cure.  Which one of you fine people sent this disc to me?  There is no identifying marks and I can't remember.  I need to know.

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: V-Adore on April 12, 2006, 03:20:44 am
I recieved a mixdisc some years ago from one of the denizens of this board.  It's entitled 239,000 miles from the Cure.  Which one of you fine people sent this disc to me?  There is no identifying marks and I can't remember.  I need to know.

~Paul

I believe that was sjlimmer's mix-CD. (Apologies to whoever made it if it wasn't...) A fine disk it was!
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 12, 2006, 03:32:26 am
Update re: "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood":

I have started listening to it, and now I can't stop.

Neko Case's voice is remarkable. I think I've said as much before, but it still stands!

Yeah, it's great.  What a voice!  I'm really disappointed she hasn't been touring with The New Pornographers.  I saw them twice this tour and she wasn't at either show.

Paul:  She'll be in Park City in June.  I don't know if I'll make it, because of family obligations, but I'm gonna try.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2006, 05:29:33 pm
Paul:  She'll be in Park City in June.  I don't know if I'll make it, because of family obligations, but I'm gonna try.

And it's on a Saturday, Huzzah!  What can you tell me about this venue, I'm guessing there will be advanced tickets for a show of this magnitude.

She obviously doesn't like Houston.  I see she's playing Austin yet again, and Dallas, but not Houston. 

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: arkabee on April 12, 2006, 06:11:05 pm
Oh no, i'm just a follower.  The Apostle is our missing friend Arkabee.  Where are you Arkabee?


don't fight the crime, if you can't do the time.


finally got the other 3 American label Johnny Cash albums,
been listening to them.
great music to do yard work too.

just picked up the new Sleater Kinney cd,
most excellent.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2006, 06:29:54 pm
I believe that was sjlimmer's mix-CD. (Apologies to whoever made it if it wasn't...) A fine disk it was!

Can anyone corroborate this?

~Paul

Edit:  Not that it was a fine disk, that part I know, but was it sjlimmer?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2006, 06:36:04 pm
finally got the other 3 American label Johnny Cash albums, been listening to them. great music to do yard work too.

I have two of the four, I and IV to be precise and they are both great albums.  Gotta get the other two eventually.  I also lucked into a 4 disc box set of JC.  fuck*ng awesome.

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2006, 06:45:18 pm
Yes it was, I still have it in the vehicle rotation. Limmo had the Todd Van cover art, The Mayor had the Bean cover art, you had Fractured Fairytales and SJLimmer had the 239.000 Earth/Moon cover.

Actually, all your disks, even El Guano's, are still in vehicle rotation for me.

Thank you.  Yes, I am wanting to put the originators name on the label so I can remember who I am grateful towards while I am listening to it.  The only cd's I brought from Houston are those mixdisc and I am only now getting around to ripping them so I can get them on my i-pod.  Yes, all of the mixdisc I got from this board are frikkin' awesome.  But you left out Starlight and Bozack (my personal favs), August West, Andalucia and V.  Dunston and Slink promised, but never delivered.  I'm still waiting Slink.

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: V-Adore on April 12, 2006, 07:09:45 pm
I think it may be time to have another large-scale swap. I know I've been pondering some interesting ideas concerning anxiety and automatons that I think would make a great CD...
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on April 12, 2006, 09:18:04 pm
I am very happy that Vintage Vinyl is still around.  Half my record collection is from there.

Isn't that the place John Cusack owned in High Fidelity?

ALSO: I've found that there's a store like that in every big town, and the people that own it/work there always seem to have the *best* taste in music.  I have never been let down by their recommendations of old bands I'd never heard.

Last time: Love.  Before that: Uncle Tupelo.

Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 13, 2006, 05:02:42 am
There was a place in the U district of Seattle called Bedazzled that closed down a couple years ago.  The guy never let me get away without relieving me of at least 40 bucks.  The guy was obnoxious as hell too.  But it was always good stuff.  He introduced me to Serge Gainsbourg, in fact.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 13, 2006, 05:26:51 am
And it's on a Saturday, Huzzah!  What can you tell me about this venue, I'm guessing there will be advanced tickets for a show of this magnitude.

Suede is a decent place.  I saw Sigur Ros (who apparently will be in Salt Lake next month) there a few years ago, and Robin Tunney was in attendance.  And, you know, if it's good enough for Robin Tunney, it's good enough for you.  Tickets will most likely be sold in advance, but I can't figure out where yet.  Maybe they haven't gone on sale yet.  I'm trying to weasel my way out of this thing I kinda have to go to, but we'll see.

Also, Dinosaur Jr is this Sunday, and I still can't decide if I should go.  I want to, but I have to get up early the next morning.

Whoa!  Sigur Ros is $28, and on a Sunday.  Fuck no.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: linnea on April 14, 2006, 02:12:02 am

Last time: Love.  Before that: Uncle Tupelo.


dammit jough, my love for you runs deep. Uncle Tupelo?? I LOVE them! Although I like Jeff Tweedy's Wilco, (Jeff Tweedy and Jay Farrar were in Uncle Tupelo before they broke up) my heart still belongs to Jay Farrar's Son Volt. I have been listening to Okemah and the Melody of Riot ever since it was released in July 2005. "Bandages and Scars" is probably my favorite song of all time.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on April 14, 2006, 05:12:51 am
dammit jough, my love for you runs deep. Uncle Tupelo?? I LOVE them!

I was actually introduced to them in a roundabout way.  First the Jayhawks (Tomorror the Green Grass - an album I lost to an ex and now can't find to download anywhere - I may break down and buy the CD), then the Roots, then Uncle Tupelo, and from them: Laurie & John.

I could never really get Wilco at ALL.  I keep trying to listen to YHF because it is so acclaimed, but it just sounds like one unmelodic song to me.  I just can't hear it.

Anyway, 1,000 cans for you for loving Uncle Tupelo.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Mite on April 14, 2006, 11:10:17 am
Yeah, I've been loving the Uncle Tupelo/Sun Volt/Wilco for a long time now. Have you listened to Redbird (http://www.younghunter.com/redbird.html), Linnea? A friend of mine who also is an alt-country dork just got me into them.

And Jough - try one of their older albums, maybe? I like Being There a lot. To be honest, I don't even own YHF - I was broke when it came out, and I just never got around to buying it.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on April 14, 2006, 03:13:28 pm
And 19 cans to Mite for also liking Uncle Tupelo.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 14, 2006, 03:15:07 pm
I would be up for another CD swap.  You'd be getting my 2005 year-end disc, which I've posted about elsewhere.  Cover art equal to 2003's "Me and the Bean," mentioned earlier in this thread.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Honeycombhideout on April 22, 2006, 01:12:20 pm
I am new, but, if you are interested, I am listening to the soundtrack Miles Davis did for Louis Malles's's 1950s film Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud (Lift to the Scaffold or Elevator to the Gallows in English-type words) and Neko Case's new album Fox Confessor Brings The Flood-- both of which are very good for listening.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: V-Adore on April 22, 2006, 03:40:46 pm
I am new, but, if you are interested, I am listening to the soundtrack Miles Davis did for Louis Malles's's 1950s film Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud (Lift to the Scaffold or Elevator to the Gallows in English-type words) and Neko Case's new album Fox Confessor Brings The Flood-- both of which are very good for listening.

Good heavens, yes, Neko Case is lovely. Her lyrics occasionally make me confused, but God, that voice. I could listen to tax regulations being sung in that voice and all would be glorious.

... I should go listen to Fox Confessor again.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on April 22, 2006, 05:41:36 pm
vintage vinyl was disappointing.

I could not remember what I wanted to buy. I ended up getting two CD's by a local (ie: From Charlotte) band. I have not been able to find them in charlotte. They were like 7 $ each. I was saddened by this. Probably the first time I've left a record store without having spent a large portion of my cash.

Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 23, 2006, 04:27:34 am
Right now I'm listening to some of the stuff off of the upcoming Gnarls Barkley album.

It's being streamed on the group's Myspace (http://www.myspace.com/gnarlsbarkley) page right now.  So far I like it.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 23, 2006, 04:38:42 am
Also I'm shocked and amazed that there's already been two great hip-hop albums out this year so far (Ghostface Killah's giraffescale and Kool Keith's Project Polaroid). After 2004 and 2005 I started to write good hip-hop off as a passing thing.

Second the Ghostface album, but I haven't heard the new Kool Keith record.  Looks like he's releasing two albums this month?

Anyway, I agree, more or less, about 2005, but Madvillainy was released in 2004, which is one of my favorite albums of any genre.  Ghostface's album that year wasn't bad either.  But Madvillainy alone was enough to make it a good year.  Think I'll listen to it tonight.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AugustWest on April 23, 2006, 05:37:42 am
I just dropped about $15 on AllofMP3.  I have a bunch of Eno, Eno+Fripp, John Prine, Arlo Guthrie, Theolonius Monk, Procul Harum and Roberta Flack waiting for me on Monday.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on April 23, 2006, 05:51:00 am
I've been picking up 80s rock chicks on AllOfMP3 lately.  This week it's Pat Benatar and Joan Jett. 
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 23, 2006, 06:20:26 am
All I can say is, we just got the new Adrian Belew "Side Three" and it totally punishes.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AugustWest on April 23, 2006, 02:21:03 pm
Adrian Belew!  Another excellent musician originally from Kentucky.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 23, 2006, 02:35:48 pm
I just dropped about $15 on AllofMP3.  I have a bunch of Eno, Eno+Fripp, John Prine, Arlo Guthrie, Theolonius Monk, Procul Harum and Roberta Flack waiting for me on Monday.

I've been trying to pay them so I can download some songs but they won't take my money.  Has this happened to anyone else?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AugustWest on April 23, 2006, 02:49:58 pm
I have trouble using one of my Visas to fund my account, because my bank's security service doesn't like the fact that it's a Russian site.  But my other one works.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 23, 2006, 03:11:07 pm
I'll have to try my other one then.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on April 23, 2006, 04:01:15 pm
The first time I paid them since they switched to ChronoPay I had my card flagged and got a call from my bank.  I told them it was okay, and that I actually made the charge, and since then it's worked fine.  With the other card I have I never had any problems.

A lot of banks just flag ANY transaction to Russia, now, just assuming that it is fraudulent.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 25, 2006, 03:33:33 am
I haven't heard are you passionate yet, but I think i'm going to Amazon.com right fuck*ng now.

Ok, so I go to amazon.com and when I get there I realize I don't have Ragged Glory or American Stars and Bars so I bought them instead.  Hell yeah, Neil Young in the House.  Also, the Slint arrived today.

I wonder when the new NY album will be out?

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 25, 2006, 03:49:56 am
Ok, so I go to amazon.com and when I get there I realize I don't have Ragged Glory or American Stars and Bars so I bought them instead.  Hell yeah, Neil Young in the House.  Also, the Slint arrived today.

I wonder when the new NY album will be out?

How are the two Neil albums you just purchased?  I've been particularly tempted by American Stars and Bars, because it was reissued with On the Beach (among others), which is fantastic.

Also, anyone else annoyed by the titles of some of the songs (especially 'Let's Impeach the President') on the new album?  I mean, it's not like you always have to be subtle when writing about politics, but you also don't have to mushroom stamp me with your viewpoint (even though the idea is a tempting one...).

From this site (http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2006-04-22T020411Z_01_N21295317_RTRUKOC_0_UK-LEISURE-YOUNG.xml&archived=False):

"Starting April 28, fans can log onto Young's Web site, www.neilyoung.com, and listen to the 10-track collection in its entirety, free of charge, said Bill Bentley, a spokesman for Warner Music Group's Reprise Records.

"The album will first become commercially available as a digital download beginning May 2, "and we plan to get it into retail stores as soon after that as we can get them manufactured," Bentley said."
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 25, 2006, 05:00:58 pm
Also, anyone else annoyed by the titles of some of the songs (especially 'Let's Impeach the President') on the new album?  I mean, it's not like you always have to be subtle when writing about politics, but you also don't have to mushroom stamp me with your viewpoint (even though the idea is a tempting one...).

This is actually a problem I've noticed with the crap that passes for political music these days.  I mean, compare guys like Dylan and Guthrie and their well crafted songs with lyrics that didn't beat you over the head with the agenda, it was just part of the song, to Conor Oberst (tiny little man) screaming about "TEXAS OIL WAR BUSH TEXAS YEAH HATE TEXAS OIL."  I mean, even a lot of political punk musicians find a way to avoid just throwing out "we're badassess you're The Man" bullshit, Richard Hell comes to mind, and Jello Biafra to a lesser extent.  But come on, who is really impressed by the political message of "American Idiot".  Give me a break.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on April 25, 2006, 07:59:14 pm
oh, this reminds me. There is a kid in one of my classes. He is like, uber-libertarian or something. He listens to Green Day. I want to make him listen to good music.

Who can think of some good punk rock, that is kind of accessible, that isn't "liberal"? Generally anti-government, anti-hippy, anti-elitist stuff would probably be good. I can't really think of anything.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Drygioni on April 25, 2006, 08:00:12 pm
oh, this reminds me. There is a kid in one of my classes. He is like, uber-libertarian or something. He listens to Green Day. I want to make him listen to good music.

Who can think of some good punk rock, that is kind of accessible, that isn't "liberal"? Generally anti-government, anti-hippy, anti-elitist stuff would probably be good. I can't really think of anything.

The Clash! I'm pretty sure they fit all that.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 25, 2006, 08:18:33 pm
oh, this reminds me. There is a kid in one of my classes. He is like, uber-libertarian or something. He listens to Green Day. I want to make him listen to good music.

Who can think of some good punk rock, that is kind of accessible, that isn't "liberal"? Generally anti-government, anti-hippy, anti-elitist stuff would probably be good. I can't really think of anything.

Tell him to listen to RAP.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Mite on April 25, 2006, 09:57:19 pm
Tell him to listen to RAP.
Hells yes. I Wanna Kill Sam, anybody?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening To (New for 2006)
Post by: Drastic Action on April 26, 2006, 07:09:56 am
Toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many 'o's.

Ok, I'm done.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: lprkn on April 26, 2006, 03:38:09 pm
A can for you, becuase you made me laugh.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 26, 2006, 04:01:02 pm
How are the two Neil albums you just purchased?  I've been particularly tempted by American Stars and Bars, because it was reissued with On the Beach (among others), which is fantastic.

American Stars and Bars = Awesome.  It's actually more of a folky album, but it's got the massive Like a Hurricane on it.

Ragged Glory, i'll have to get back to you on that one.  I listened to it last night, but I was doing something else and didn't really take it in.  It rocks hard, I can tell you that much.

But man, why you gotta send me back to amazon.com for On the Beach?  Haven't I spent enough already?  I keep putting off getting that one because it's such depressing (albiet awesome) album.

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 26, 2006, 07:28:32 pm
Second listen to Ragged Glory is damn good.  Damn good indeed.

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: BatzRadio on April 26, 2006, 09:51:39 pm
Second the Ghostface album, but I haven't heard the new Kool Keith record.  Looks like he's releasing two albums this month?

Anyway, I agree, more or less, about 2005, but Madvillainy was released in 2004, which is one of my favorite albums of any genre.  Ghostface's album that year wasn't bad either.  But Madvillainy alone was enough to make it a good year.  Think I'll listen to it tonight.

I always forget that Madvillainy was in 2004, I guess because the leak was in '03.

But yeah, Keith's got Project Polaroid and Mr. Nogatco (Nogatco Rd.) this month alone. Plus he's got a Return of Dr. Octagon album coming later in the year. This isn't the same as that bad fan-compiled Dr. Octagon II from 2004 though.

Thing about Keith though, I suspect that he's gotten hungry to make amazing stuff again thanks to MF Doom's growing success. Hopefully this means they'll be doing an album together down the road now that Keith's back in the mood to do good weird shit.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: starlight on April 27, 2006, 04:46:50 am
Hm... this week it's the new Elf Power, 'Back to the Web', the new Mountain Goats EP, 'Babylon Springs', and some post rock stuff I was sent...

I still am enamored with Birdmonster though.  it needs to be imported onto my iTunes list.. for now, I just drag out the disc.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 28, 2006, 04:04:57 am
But man, why you gotta send me back to amazon.com for On the Beach?  Haven't I spent enough already?  I keep putting off getting that one because it's such depressing (albiet awesome) album.

It is a damned good album.  I love love love the last track.  'Ambulance Blues,' I think it's called.

How are you liking the Slint?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 28, 2006, 01:51:38 pm
How are you liking the Slint?

First impression, it's a bit lethargic.  I've got so much awesome new music to listen to right now it's not been given a real proper listen yet.  I think I'll give it a spin right now (just for you).

Summer in the Southeast (Bonnie 'Prince' Billy) is probably his best album ever (IMHO).

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on April 28, 2006, 11:48:09 pm
Summer in the Southeast (Bonnie 'Prince' Billy) is probably his best album ever (IMHO).

I still haven't purchased this one, which, considering that the two times I've seen him with backing band are two of the best shows I've ever seen, is a bit strange.  I'll have to pick it up when I feel I can spend the money.  Maybe I can unload a few CDs at the local record shop.  I've purchased too many CDs and books lately.

First impression, it's a bit lethargic.  I've got so much awesome new music to listen to right now it's not been given a real proper listen yet.  I think I'll give it a spin right now (just for you).

I guess because Slint fans push this album so hard on others this is probably a common reaction.  That's probaby a good way to describe the album, anyway.  But yeah, give it some more listens.  There's nothing else in rock like it.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 28, 2006, 11:53:42 pm
I'll have to pick it [Summer in the Southeast] up when I feel I can spend the money.  Maybe I can unload a few CDs at the local record shop.  I've purchased too many CDs and books lately.

Or... You can make a trade with your neighbor.

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on May 03, 2006, 04:55:55 am
But yeah, Keith's got Project Polaroid and Mr. Nogatco (Nogatco Rd.) this month alone. Plus he's got a Return of Dr. Octagon album coming later in the year. This isn't the same as that bad fan-compiled Dr. Octagon II from 2004 though.

Thing about Keith though, I suspect that he's gotten hungry to make amazing stuff again thanks to MF Doom's growing success. Hopefully this means they'll be doing an album together down the road now that Keith's back in the mood to do good weird shit.

OK, so I picked up Nogatco Rd. tonight.  I still haven't found Project Polaroid.  Nogatco feels pretty much like the Kool Keith stuff I like (Black Elvis, Dr. Octagon), and I'm excited for the Return.  Does Project Polaroid have the same thing going for it?

I saw MF Doom and Kool Keith at Coachella a couple years ago.  I imagine that MF Doom has really been influenced by Kool Keith, though Doom's far more talented.  I'd love to heard a collaboration between the two (aside from the merely decent track on the second Viktor Vaughan album).

Oh yeah, speaking of 2005 in hip-hop, what did you think of the Further Adventures of Lord Quas?  I like it OK, but not nearly as much as the Unseen.  The Unseen stayed in my car stereo for weeks when I first bought it, but I've probably only listened to Further Adventures once or twice all the way through.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 03, 2006, 09:18:43 pm
Recently I have been listening to a lot of stuff I has amazed with in high-school. 

Lots of Lou Reed/ Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan, Flaming Lips and the Stone Roses.  I don't know how one can listen to anything else at this point.  Also, the Talking Heads and the Clash are getting hell of spins on my record player.  I am also having a reggae revival with the help of Lee "Scratch" Perry and Linton Kwesi Johnson.  I just now got around to listening to the Libertines and think it is alright.

As for new albums, I hate the new Neil Young and love the new Belle and Sebastian.  The new Flaming Lips is trash, but I didn't like Yoshimi either.  The new Super Furry Animals is also pretty bad.  I am looking forward to the new Sonic Youth, and they are coming to a town near me. 

Anyone listen to Minus the Bear or Apples in Stereo?  I am thinking about buying some stuff by them, but wouldn't mind some recommendations.  I really like Neutral Milk Hotel and Olivia Tremor Control, but don't know if that means I would like them.


Also, the band from my hometown- also the Flaming Lips hometown- called the Starlight Mints just released a record.  I have heard it like a year ago, as they own a venue that I frequent alot and kind of know the members.  I don't really remember that much about it, but the may be a band to check out if you like stuff like Spoon.  I was really just posting this to see if they are popular elsewhere?  I mean, they are popular here and have been around for like 5 years, but not crazy popular.  Then again, Oklahoma has a shit music scene.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Mite on May 03, 2006, 11:28:02 pm
The new Flaming Lips is trash, but I didn't like Yoshimi either.  The new Super Furry Animals is also pretty bad.

You take that back! What are you, a commie? What, I bet "you like their old stuff," right? Kids.

Quote
Also, the band from my hometown- also the Flaming Lips hometown- called the Starlight Mints just released a record.  I have heard it like a year ago, as they own a venue that I frequent alot and kind of know the members.  I don't really remember that much about it, but the may be a band to check out if you like stuff like Spoon.  I was really just posting this to see if they are popular elsewhere?  I mean, they are popular here and have been around for like 5 years, but not crazy popular.  Then again, Oklahoma has a shit music scene.

I dig the mints quite a bit (incidentally, my man's sitting next to me wearing a t-shirt from one of their shows as we speak). Didn't know they had a new album. And yeah, Spoon rocks, though you'll probably hate them in a couple of years when they get popular, too.

Sorry, I just took a final, and now I have a bug up my ass. I'll feel better in a couple of drinks. Carry on.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 03, 2006, 11:56:23 pm
You take that back! What are you, a commie? What, I bet "you like their old stuff," right? Kids.

I dig the mints quite a bit (incidentally, my man's sitting next to me wearing a t-shirt from one of their shows as we speak). Didn't know they had a new album. And yeah, Spoon rocks, though you'll probably hate them in a couple of years when they get popular, too.


I don't know if you are talking about the Flaming Lips or SFA, but, yes, their old stuff is sooooo much better.  I can maybe, maybe, see how someone could like Yoshimi, but can you really say it is better than The Soft Bulletin?  No, nobody can.  Also, In a Priest Driven Ambulance, Clouds Taste Metallic, and Hit to Death in the Future Head are miles ahead of Yoshimi.  If you are talking about SFA then the same thing applies.  Also, I am not really a kid and live just to the south of OKC.  I have been listening to them since before Yoshimi, and almost everybody I know who has agrees that Yoshimi is not that good.  Sorry, I don't really listen to bands because they are cool, I listen to good albums.

Also, one of my friends sisters went to German Camp with members of Spoon and has this sweet demo they gave her, from like the mid 90's.  I guess what I am trying to say is that Spoon got as popular as they are going to get after they released Kill the Moonlight.  I LOVE that record, but, also, dislike their new record.  As someone earlier mentioned, there have been many, many, disapointing releases by mid major/ indie bands in the last couple of years. 

Wilco
SFA
Beta Band
Flaming Lips
Spoon
Morrissey
Franz Ferdinand
and more that I don't want to type.

All bands that I love that have released pretty poor records in the last couple of years.  It has nothing to do with being cool though.  For instance, I hated Belle & Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress, but love The Life Pursuit.  It doesn't matter how popular they are, but how good of a record that they make.

And, yes, I would consider myself a Communist.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on May 04, 2006, 12:04:53 am
yeah, I moderately liked Yoshime... and didn't really like The New One at all. WHich is hell of disappointing, because I got sooo excited about going to the store and buying it. I paid for it partially in quarters, because I had scratched together the last of my money.

maybe it will grow on me. At least they're back to fuzzy guitars and such!

"There you Are" is the greatest song. oh goodness, it is so good.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 04, 2006, 12:14:39 am

"There you Are" is the greatest song. oh goodness, it is so good.

Yea, that, "Five Stop Mother Superior Rain" and "Hold Your Head" are probably my favorite pre- Soft Bulletin Lips songs.  Soft Bulletin has its own category for greatness.  See, Yoshimi is alright if it is like a first record from some random band, but not the follow up to a band that had not released a bad album since the 80's (I actually like those too, but some don't) and who's last 4 or 5 albums are all amazing.  Then Yoshimi is very disappointing and not really worth playing, as I have so many better albums to choose from.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 04, 2006, 12:30:55 am
Yoshimi, I liked, because it had *****s.  Plus "Do you realize" alone was worth the purchase.  I'll agree with you about their earlier stuff being better, but I really enjoy At War With The Mystics.  It is, in a way, a return to some of their older style.  They do the whole voice-dropped-an-octave now and then which always makes me smile, and the bass line in "It Overtakes Me" is absolutely punishing.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on May 04, 2006, 03:33:06 am
See, I think "Buggin'" is just about the most perfect Flaming Lips song ever.

I don't really like their new album either, and I really liked Yoshimi, but only honestly as background music.  You can work with it on.

The last two Morrissey albums have been awful.  The lyrics, for which Moz has been known, are trite and cringe-inducing.

I really liked Dear Catastrophe Waitress and I'm kinda meh about the Life Pursuit.  I really hated Fold Your Hands... and still think of Sinister and Arab Strap as a single album, since they came out like four months apart.

The second Franz Ferdinand was just like the first, and I kinda liked that Fallen song, but otherwise I haven't really been back to listen to it much.

Wilco, like Steely Dan, I just could never get into.  I don't "get" Wilco.  All of the songs sound the same, and they just drone on.  There is basically no melody to any of their songs, and I must say that I have a predilection against songs that I cannot sing along to (unless they're like, instrumental or something, in which case I do not have that problem).

Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on May 04, 2006, 04:09:43 am
I love Yohshimi.  Ego Tripping is good enough to be a Paul McCartney single.

I hooked up with a guy at work and we've been trading disc like mad.  I've acquired lots and lots of stuff.  The Smiths, Moz, Bjork, Early REM, Brian Eno, Portishead, They Might Be Giants. Bob Dylan and much more.  Lots of stuff i've never heard of.

I'm letting it sink in slowly via i-pod shuffle.  Mostly i'm listening to Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Neil Young, and Neko Case.

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: misterqueue on May 04, 2006, 04:12:42 am
Mmm.. Bjork.. my secret long time obsession.

However if you like the Bjork I suggest Broadcast, Metric, and of course, Blonde Redhead.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 04, 2006, 04:36:07 am
I love early R.E.M.  Also, for the Flaming Lips fans out there, especially The Soft Bulletin, you should check out the Super Furry Animals.  They have recorded some songs together and are kind of similiar (Kind of).  Is there someway I can like put a sample song somewhere for people to download, or something?

Brian Eno and Dylan are awesome as well.  Eno produced Remain in Light by the Talking Heads if you somehow haven't heard that.  I don't know, maybe you didn't know that.


If you have Strangeways, Here We Come by the Smiths just listen to the first song on the album and you'll be a fan.

See, I think "Buggin'" is just about the most perfect Flaming Lips song ever.


I really liked Dear Catastrophe Waitress and I'm kinda meh about the Life Pursuit.  I really hated Fold Your Hands... and still think of Sinister and Arab Strap as a single album, since they came out like four months apart.


First of all, it is either Buggin' or The Gash, but, yeah, they are pretty much perfect songs for any bands standards.  I didn't really dislike yoshimi, it is just not great, but the new one is especially boring, to me. 

Piazza, New York Catcher was the only song I liked off of Dear Catastrophe, for obvious reasons.  I really just quoted this part to say I mainly like Sinister, Arab Strap and Tigermilk by Belle and Sebastian, but never knew if I liked Sinister or Arab Strap better.  I had no idea that they were released so close together, but that is a hell of a way to look at it.


And You are the Quarry has a couple decent songs, but more in like a kind of pretentious asshole way, not in a good song way.  If that makes sense.  Everytime a band/ artist takes him or herself to seriously it ends up in a shit record.  Which is my main problem with the new Neil Young.  It rocks, but it is like the lyrics are written by a 15 year old who thinks he fuck*ng knows everything.  It kind of makes me dislike Neil Young in general, but I can't go that far.  I mean the man made Deja Vu and After the Goldrush.

Edit: I kind of need to rephrase that.  About Young:  Take your art seriously, but don't tell the listener what to think.  If you are going to anyway, don't write like an angsty teenager.  It makes you seem like a person who takes himself very seriously, but not his art.  Which is the complete opposite way a cool musician should be (see the Flaming Lips).

And

First of the Gang to Die off of You are the Quarry is great.  Best song since the Smiths.

Jesus, I have a 12 page paper due in 12 hours, it is now midnight and I haven't started it, but I can post like 2 pages worth of crap about music.  This paper is even about music, I just hate doing stuff I perceive as work.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Mite on May 04, 2006, 11:12:13 am
Sorry I got on your case, Keith. I'm still a little confused about loving The Soft Bulletin but hating Yoshimi, as in my head they are almost the same album, but that's cool. The hipsters who listen to Pitchfork instead of oh, say, actual music have just gotten on my last nerve.

Incidentally, I think that's the closest I've ever gotten to flaming someone in the history of the internet. No wonder my post count at the Straight Dope message board is insignificant.

About the new Neil Young - I heard a little bit of it on NPR yesterday, and it didn't catch my attention much. I'm sorry he didn't feel like there were any young musicians raising a fuss about the president. Either a) he doesn't listen to many young musicians (Radiohead and Green Day even get airplay!) or b) the president don't care what no long haired punks have to say about him, anyway, so why bother. It sorta made me a little pissy. Of course, it hasn't taken much, the last couple of days.

Iron and Wine and Calexico's album In the Reins came out last year, and it's beautiful. I've been listening to it over and over and over.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 04, 2006, 11:29:44 am

Yea, I stopped reading pitchfork about a month after Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco came out.  I really dislike hipsters as well.  I am just saying I find Yoshimi boring.  The Soft Bulletin is so much more complex and lyrically challenging.  I guess I dislike straight forward cliche lyrics, and I perceive Yoshimi to be that way.  Although the lyrics aren't really cliche at all, are they?  I don't know, I can understand how you like it, I guess it just got stale with me really quick, but I can still listen to Soft Bulletin twice a week or so.  That is how I define a good album.  The only thing I would disagree with you on is that they are the same album. 

I really hate coming off badly, but sometimes expressing opinions on things that are based on opinions alone on the internet can be hard to do without coming off poorly.

Sorry if I came off like an asshole as well.  I have been writing a paper for like 8 hours straight over Caetano Veloso.  Who knew it was so hard to write a 12 page paper over the person that started Tropicalia?  Well, I know now.  If I quit fuck*ng around and reading this message board I would be done by now, but as it is I pulled an all nighter.  Awesome study habits.  If anyone wants to check out some awesome music though, I couldn't recommend Caetano Veloso or Os Mutantes more, especially if you don't care whether or not you can understand the lyrics.

I have been reading some of these music threads and people here probably have the best taste in music of any message board I have ever been to.  There was some talk of listing your top bands in a previous thread, could we start a new thread dedicated to that?  Maybe like have some samples if there is any place that host it that someone knows about?

I am buying the new Starlight Mints today though, I'll tell you if I like it if you would like.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on May 04, 2006, 01:25:10 pm
I agree that The First of the Gang to Die was the best song on You Are the Quarry, but it's certainly not solo-moz's best (that would be something from Your Arsenal, and which song it is would change nearly every time I'd try to pick one).

I know what you mean about Yoshimi being dull - I mean, it's meant to be such as a soundtrack to a never-made Anime film, right?  Is that the idea?  I find it pleasant background music.  And I like that one part about not letting the automatons eat me.

That Piazza song from the penultimate Belle et Sebastian is probably the only song I didn't like from DCW.  Go figure.

I haven't heard the Starlight Mints, so I'll have to check them out.  I also like early R.E.M.   Strangeways, though, is not the Smith's best album (that would be The Queen is Dead) and now that I think about it, it's probably their worst album.  Which is to say, it's still very good.

I also like early Warner Bros. R.E.M.  I think from Green through New Adventures in Hi-Fi are about as good as pop music gets (barring the lapses of things like Radio Song or Ignoreland).

Also, Keith, are you familiar with the Velvet Underground?  They are the best band ever.  Just thought you should know.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 04, 2006, 01:38:38 pm
Recently I have been listening to a lot of stuff I has amazed with in high-school. 

Lots of Lou Reed/ Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan, Flaming Lips and the Stone Roses.  I don't know how one can listen to anything else at this point.  Also, the Talking Heads and the Clash are getting hell of spins on my record player.

Word. 

Honestly, I haven't listened to much solo Moz.  My friend burnt me a copy of Your Arsenal, but I have never gotten around to listening to it.  I really just loved Marr and Rourke

My favorite Smiths album is The Smiths, but Strangeways is my second favorite.  I was just telling him to listen to the first song on the album.  I forgot what it is called... A rush and a push and the land is ours or something.  I don't know, Queen is Dead is awesome too.  I like them all equally, except Meat is Murder.  And the two compilations are awesome as well.

Yea, R.E.M. was pretty much awesome until they started releasing crap albums (the last three, all after new adventures). 


The Starlight Mints are okay, I wouldn't put that much effort or money into getting it.  If you can download it easily it might be worth it.  They are from my town and I was just seeing if anyone else had any experience with them. 

Sorry about bringing up the Lips again, I was just responding to Mite.  That is the same reason I brought up the Starlight Mints as well.

Edit: I made a top 25 bands thread, which placed VU at 7.  Ah, anyday it could be as high as 2 (nothing can ever beat Dylan between 63 and 68, for personal reasons) or as low as 15.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Drygioni on May 04, 2006, 03:20:32 pm
I love early R.E.M.  Also, for the Flaming Lips fans out there, especially The Soft Bulletin, you should check out the Super Furry Animals.  They have recorded some songs together and are kind of similiar (Kind of).  Is there someway I can like put a sample song somewhere for people to download, or something?

Super Furry Animals are certainly awesome. Some of their songs are just perfect: Slow Life is just fantastic. Fantastic fantastic. I'm not so sure on the Flaming Lips comparison, but any band that drives around Britain in a massive tank cannot be bad.

Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 04, 2006, 04:01:12 pm
I'm not so sure on the Flaming Lips comparison, but any band that drives around Britain in a massive tank cannot be bad.


The comparison is almost deeper than music, although I think their music is fairly comparable. 

SFA Drives around in a huge tank.  The Flaming Lips run around in a big crowd surfing ball.  The aesthetics are the same I guess.

Both are like neo-psychedelic and started out kind of the same.  Really though, if you like the Flaming Lips you will probably like SFA, unless you just like the Lips cause they are cool.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: V-Adore on May 04, 2006, 06:44:01 pm
I also like early Warner Bros. R.E.M.  I think from Green through New Adventures in Hi-Fi are about as good as pop music gets (barring the lapses of things like Radio Song or Ignoreland).

I'm the only person on the face of the earth who likes Radio Song, aren't I?

Ah, well. Ignoreland we can agree sort of sucked, in the sense that it was still better than most other music.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on May 04, 2006, 07:15:05 pm
Oh, c'mon.  You liked the idiotic KRS-1 on that too?

Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 04, 2006, 07:20:49 pm
Because this is highly tangential to this thread, was I the only person who never noticed that "Blue Flowers" samples Yoshi's voice? 

That's so fuck*ng cool.

Anyway carry on with your discussion, don't mind me.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: V-Adore on May 04, 2006, 08:31:10 pm
Oh, c'mon.  You liked the idiotic KRS-1 on that too?

I wouldn't say I liked it, but it didn't bug me that badly, and the rest of the song was good. So there!
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: wombat on May 04, 2006, 08:55:15 pm
My MP3 player is haunted by KRS-1.  It came with some music already loaded, and no matter what I do, I can't delete some of it  - I think Jimi Hendrix refused to go away, too.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on May 04, 2006, 09:03:16 pm
Why would you want Jimi Hendrix to go away?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AugustWest on May 04, 2006, 09:04:37 pm
Why would you want Jimi Hendrix to go away?
Yeah?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: pmcd9 on May 04, 2006, 09:19:52 pm
Hendrix go away, WTF?

~Paul
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on May 04, 2006, 09:21:12 pm
yeah! What's your problem? Don't like Hendrix? Well do you know what I don't like? *shoves* huh wombat? huh?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: misterqueue on May 04, 2006, 09:22:53 pm
I'll bite...

I wouldn't mind if Hendrix went far far away from me.  Where I can say "Oh yes, he was innovative.  Can I listen to something recent and pleasing now?"
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 04, 2006, 09:26:34 pm
I'll bite...

I wouldn't mind if Hendrix went far far away from me.  Where I can say "Oh yes, he was innovative.  Can I listen to something recent and pleasing now?"

I was going to make this same point, but then I didn't want to start a conflict.  But then you went and did it for me, so yeah.  I don't really like Hendrix all that much either.  It may come from a distaste for "hippy music" in general, but his stuff is tighter and better than most hippy music.  It's probably because he's got that "musician music" vibe going, like "I want to make music that you will like only if you care a whole lot about the guitar and the things I am doing to it."  This phenomenon has been discussed recently, I believe, so I won't talk about it.  But yeah, I didn't think he was as great as all that, and the only people I've met who have been really into him have been total dicks, hippies or both. 
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: CortJstr on May 04, 2006, 10:04:38 pm
the only people I've met who have been really into him have been total dicks, hippies or both. 

But then, I repeat myself.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 05, 2006, 07:51:19 pm
I'm the only person on the face of the earth who likes Radio Song, aren't I?

Ah, well. Ignoreland we can agree sort of sucked, in the sense that it was still better than most other music.

No, it's a fine song.  And I love "Ignoreland."

"Early R.E.M." = stuff on IRS.  I have all of them and they are all superlative.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: miles on May 07, 2006, 02:41:23 am
I am also having a reggae revival with the help of Lee "Scratch" Perry and Linton Kwesi Johnson.

I just (in the last 2 months) picked up Bob Marley's Soul Rebels, which was produced by Perry.  It's excellent.  Also plan to pick up the Arkology compilation.  What I've heard of it is good.  I'm looking for a copy of Madlib's reggae mix too.  Reggae's good, but there's so much of it out there that's worthless.  Like any genre, I guess, but because I don't know much about it I don't really know what else to check out.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on May 08, 2006, 12:23:21 am
Goodness, I am on a rockabilly/early rock kick and I have none to listen to.

what makes me sad is this: I downloaded a ton of "rockabilly," and it makes me think that the rockabilly that I imagine does not really exist.

Songs that fit:
"That's All Right (Mama)"
"Johnny B Goode" (of course)
"Stickshifts and Safety Belts" (it's actually fairly recent. it's by Cake.)
"I ain't got you" by the Yardbirds
and, I know this is more country than rockabilly, but I love the lead guitar-- Burning House of Love by X.

any suggestions?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 08, 2006, 12:33:50 am
I just (in the last 2 months) picked up Bob Marley's Soul Rebels, which was produced by Perry.  It's excellent.  Also plan to pick up the Arkology compilation.  What I've heard of it is good.  I'm looking for a copy of Madlib's reggae mix too.  Reggae's good, but there's so much of it out there that's worthless.  Like any genre, I guess, but because I don't know much about it I don't really know what else to check out.

I've got the Arkology box set and I couldn't recommend it more.  I need to get some more, but you should really pick that up.  The cd book (it is like 30 pages) is fuck*ng awesome, too.  If you have never heard of Kwesi Johnson you should maybe think about getting one of his compilations as well.  I have a couple of his albums and a greatest hits called Independant Intavenshan: The Island Anthology that is really awesome. 


and, I know this is more country than rockabilly, but I love the lead guitar-- Burning House of Love by X.


I saw this band called the Sons and Daughters that kick ass, and my friend told me they were like X.  Thanks for reminding me.

You may want to check out something from like Joe Ely, who was like country and rockabilly depending on the time, but he toured with the Clash.  Then the obvious Buddy Holly/ Roy Orbison.  I don't really listen to rockabilly, I don't know why I am giving advice.  Elvis Costello early is kind of a throw back to that, but you probably already know about that too.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on May 08, 2006, 04:26:05 am
today is Robert Johnson's birthday!

yay for him!
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on May 08, 2006, 05:40:26 am
I've wanted to ask this for a while now, so here goes. Are there any Misfits fans on the board? (Danzig Misfits only please)
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Mite on May 08, 2006, 10:28:04 am
For those looking for rockabilly, may I recommend Southern Culture on the Skids, BR-549, and Old Crow Medicine Show (though the latter is more bluegrass). To a lesser extent, you may also like the Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash and the Drive-By Truckers.

And yes, I do find out about a lot of very good new music from Prairie Home Companion, thank you very much. Garrison's got good taste.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on May 08, 2006, 11:18:27 am
I've wanted to ask this for a while now, so here goes. Are there any Misfits fans on the board? (Danzig Misfits only please)

Original Fiend Club Member here, son.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on May 08, 2006, 11:23:55 am
Mite -- are you serious?

Southern Culture on the Skids are Rockabilly?

maybe I'm remembering an incorrect band name, but I always assumed they were a shitty local band. I'm pretty sure they play around here constantly.

I will have to look this up.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Mite on May 08, 2006, 11:33:23 am
Dude, they're awesome. Get Dirt Track Date, it's funny and good music.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on May 08, 2006, 12:13:02 pm
Original Fiend Club Member here, son.

Ha, that's so awesome! I'm not old enough to be an original member but I got a tie pin with the crimson ghost on it in the Box set. Fuck yeah, this is more reason to like you jough. Did you ever see them live?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AugustWest on May 08, 2006, 02:11:25 pm
BR-549,

You gotta like this band just for the name.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: jough on May 08, 2006, 02:16:11 pm
Ha, that's so awesome! I'm not old enough to be an original member but I got a tie pin with the crimson ghost on it in the Box set. Fuck yeah, this is more reason to like you jough. Did you ever see them live?

Dude, I was 8 when they broke up.

I did see Danzig during their first tour back in... '89?, but my friends and I went only to hate them.  And hate them we did (although I gotta admit love for Mother and Twist of Cain, but begrudgingly).

Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on May 08, 2006, 08:01:02 pm
have I told you guys about my uncle who saw The Clash, with The Specials and The (English) Beat opening?

I probably have, but that still pisses me off. he totally wasn't into it. he just went because his friends were going.

I am afraid to ask what other amazing bands he saw. Growing up in LA in the 80's... his friends were all into X and The Minutemen and Black Flag. Damn.

I'm not actually that into The Clash, but it's the principle of the thing!
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Drygioni on May 08, 2006, 08:05:38 pm
have I told you guys about my uncle who saw The Clash, with The Specials and The (English) Beat opening?

I probably have, but that still pisses me off. he totally wasn't into it. he just went because his friends were going.

I am afraid to ask what other amazing bands he saw. Growing up in LA in the 80's... his friends were all into X and The Minutemen and Black Flag. Damn.

I'm not actually that into The Clash, but it's the principle of the thing!

H...h...bastard. I am sorry I insulted your uncle but holy hell! I would do anything to see The Clash AND The Specials at one gig. I would join the Army. I would spy on my friends. I would do anything Q wanted me to, even involving broom handles and treacle.

It completely sucks liking older bands. At least buying up their entire back catalogues is cheap-ish. Actually, while we're here, what is the average cost of a new/old CD in America?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 08, 2006, 08:12:45 pm
Actually, while we're here, what is the average cost of a new/old CD in America?

TOO DAMN MUCH.  The entire American recording industry is completely fucked anyway.  I mean, when a trade group is going around suing its customers because they're too greedy to lower the damn price of a cd it cost them 5 bucks to make things are pretty bad.

The RIAA killed my father and burned my house down and raped a litter of puppies in front of my little sister is what I'm saying here I guess.

Edit: in case you actually wanted to know it can be anywhere from 15 to 25 bucks.

Further edit: not to mention that what you get for that ridiculous amount of money is usually a poorly compressed, DRM-y computer destroying abortion.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on May 08, 2006, 08:17:03 pm
used CDs are cheap(er)!

yayyy used CDs! now, if only I could find any of the CDs I want...
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: misterqueue on May 08, 2006, 08:22:44 pm
I would do anything Q wanted me to, even involving broom handles and treacle.

I prefer to make it truly horrific... Marmite!
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 08, 2006, 08:24:25 pm
I prefer to make it truly horrific... Marmite!

Well, might as well complete the theme and include Bovril.

And while I'm on yucky things from the UK, what's the deal with Weetabix and why would you EVER put prawns on a pizza?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Drygioni on May 08, 2006, 08:27:10 pm
I prefer to make it truly horrific... Marmite!

But... I like Marmite! Truly, we are a match made in Heaven. (Or at least the seedy back alleys of Adult Heaven.)

Well, might as well complete the theme and include Bovril.

And while I'm on yucky things from the UK, what's the deal with Weetabix and why would you EVER put prawns on a pizza?

Bovril is delicious! When spread on buttered toast and eaten as a breakfast snack, there is nothing nicer. Nothing. Weetabix is similarly heavenly when mashed into a sort of gloopy wheaty milky mess, and then mixed with runny honey.

Erm, can't defend the prawns on pizza.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: misterqueue on May 08, 2006, 08:28:55 pm
Good gravy AD Bovril?  I mean I'm a sick fuck but even I have my limits.


Though apparently Judy doesn't.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 08, 2006, 08:34:45 pm
Well, it's a well know fact that the main reason Britain went about the world building an empire was because they were looking for something good to eat.

There's only so much you can do with roasted meat, boiled vegetables and duck sinkers.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Drygioni on May 08, 2006, 08:37:59 pm
Watch it, sunshines. Anymore of this cheek and I swear I'll start defending giraffe and chips. (Somehow..) I'll also go into gruesome detail of Full English Brekkers, something that will cause your healthy little foody hearts to fail out of merely imagining the fat involved.

You've been warned.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: misterqueue on May 08, 2006, 08:39:56 pm
Well, it's a well know fact that the main reason Britain went about the world building an empire was because they were looking for something good to eat.

There's only so much you can do with roasted meat, boiled vegetables and duck sinkers.

I dunno.. a good pasty could suffice, but yes; I suspect it would get old.


I can see it now..
"'lo guv, anyfing t'eat?"
"Nah, just a chippy sandwich and some bread pudding"
"bollocks to that.  They got curry in India as I hear it."
"Bugger off!"
"S'trewth!"
"Right then, I'm off." *Grabs a gun and conquers India through the cunning use of flags*
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Drygioni on May 08, 2006, 08:50:40 pm
I dunno.. a good pasty could suffice, but yes; I suspect it would get old.


I can see it now..
"'lo guv, anyfing t'eat?"
"Nah, just a chippy sandwich and some bread pudding"
"bollocks to that.  They got curry in India as I hear it."
"Bugger off!"
"S'trewth!"
"Right then, I'm off." *Grabs a gun and conquers India through the cunning use of flags*

So you're telling me we DIDN'T invent curry? Bugger!
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 08, 2006, 09:35:32 pm
H...h...bastard. I am sorry I insulted your uncle but holy hell! I would do anything to see The Clash AND The Specials at one gig. I would join the Army.

But it's up to you not to heed the call up.

And, CD's here are usually 10-15 for old bands 15-25 for current bands.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 08, 2006, 10:40:11 pm
But... I like Marmite! Truly, we are a match made in Heaven. (Or at least the seedy back alleys of Adult Heaven.)

Bovril is delicious! When spread on buttered toast and eaten as a breakfast snack, there is nothing nicer. Nothing. Weetabix is similarly heavenly when mashed into a sort of gloopy wheaty milky mess, and then mixed with runny honey.


So do they sell the Bovril that's actually 'Beef Extract" anymore or is it just a Beef-flavored yeast paste now? And can you tell the difference between the old Bovril and the new Bovril?
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Roger on May 09, 2006, 12:21:49 am
So do they sell the Bovril that's actually 'Beef Extract" anymore or is it just a Beef-flavored yeast paste now? And can you tell the difference between the old Bovril and the new Bovril?

And while you're at it, could you also explain to us what the hell is this ad all about?
(http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tiber/Vict5.jpg)

[You people got me started on this whole Victorian thing, now I can't get over it.]
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: misterqueue on May 09, 2006, 12:27:47 am
[You people got me started on this whole Victorian thing, now I can't get over it.]

Don't blame us.. blame Hobot!
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on May 09, 2006, 12:32:20 am
I love giraffe and chips.

how can you not like giraffe and chips?

I have never had Curry. this is my deep, dark, secret. Every time I am about to try it, I chicken out.

can someone suggest a type of curry to try? They all have names which mean nothing to me.

right now my curry experience is limited to Currywurst.


(don't thank me! thank anarchy!)
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 09, 2006, 12:39:54 am
It's hard to answer a question as broad as 'what sort of curry should I try' since curry is really different depending on which national cuisine you may be trying.

That said, I think a good 'gateway curry' that should be easily accessible to you is a Thai curry. Try a nice thai red curry. It has the sweetness of coconut milk and the pleasant tang of curry without a spicy bite. Thai food also often features a really nice basil curry.

If you like spicy food, go for the Evil Jungle Prince. I've found this in almost every Thai restaurant I've been in.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: swinehund on May 09, 2006, 12:53:58 am
Everyone loves Aloo Gobi, at least if they like potatoes and cauliflower. At least, this has been my experience, though I've had some pretty weak Aloo Gobi too. Channa masala (chickpea) is also pretty popular, as is Saag Paneer (minced spinach with fresh cheese) though the cheese is pretty squeaky and might freak you out if you're not expecting it. I mean, it depends on what kind of stuff you'd like outside of curry too.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: misterqueue on May 09, 2006, 12:55:13 am
Curry Schmurry... Garlic Naan is the sign that there is something worthwhile in the world. 

Seriously.. Garlic Naan.  All day long.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 09, 2006, 01:02:58 am
Crazy foodies.  No one knows what you're talking about!
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on May 09, 2006, 01:06:03 am
it makes me so mad that there isn't a single worthwhile Thai place in this city.

a couple weeks ago, I finally went to the place that's been voted "best thai in charlotte"
it was horrible.
horrible.


All I know is, the greatest single meal I have ever eaten was the Pad Thai at "Taste of Thai" in Ithaca New York. (maybe part of it is that I was there with some of the best friends I've ever had, but that's neither here nor there)
the ultimate pad thai is sweet and spicy at the same time, with the way the flavors blend together combining with a "mushy" texture to create culinary perfection.
I am bad at describing food. it was incredible.

but yes, Red Thai curry sounds good-- not too spicy, a little sweet...
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 09, 2006, 01:18:11 am
The indian recommendations are good, too. Aloo Ghobi is very good. So is Panak Paneer (but you better like spinach!)

If you live in a crap-restaurant kind of place, either get to the nearest big city (Chicago was awesome) or make your own curry.
Curry Recipes A-go-go (http://www.curryfrenzy.com/curry/html/curry-recipes.asp)
(this site seems only to have Indian curry - there's lots of good Thai and Japanese and I imagine SW Chinese curries too)

I just remembered I posted a recipe on this board for curried duck. It's a laotian recipe. It works well with Beef too but you have to make an adjustment. I think I posted the adjustment too.


Garlic naan is good too but bread ain't curry, Q. I personally like the naan with the onion seeds on it.
IF you need it, here's a link to a garlic naan recipe. I haven't tried it so I can't vouch.
Garlic Naan (http://www.curryfrenzy.com/curry/recipes/Garlic-Nan-Bread.html)

EDIT: Here is the Link to the Lao Duck Curry (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2263.msg47554.html#msg47554)

Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: misterqueue on May 09, 2006, 01:25:10 am


Garlic naan is good too but bread ain't curry, Q. I personally like the naan with the onion seeds on it.
IF you need it, here's a link to a garlic naan recipe. I haven't tried it so I can't vouch.
Garlic Naan (http://www.curryfrenzy.com/curry/recipes/Garlic-Nan-Bread.html)


That's why I said curry schmurry... besides you need something to dip into the leftover curry mixture once all your chickpeas or what have you is done for.

Cort says no cilantro on the Garlic Naan but I say "Hell Yes cilantro!  Also basil... maybe"
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 09, 2006, 01:34:47 am
I'm kind of a purist so I'll go with Cort. Cort might one of those people genetically predisposed to hate cilantro. Certain people taste soap when they taste cilantro, others don't. It's a weird deal.

But, Damn Right on the sopping tip. When I eat full-on Indian, I don't use any utensils, just the bread. (until the Gulab Jamun comes out, anyway) That's why chappatis and the big, teardrop shaped naans are so flat and flexible. There's lots of good roti out there.



Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: wombat on May 09, 2006, 01:35:33 am

If you like spicy food, go for the Evil Jungle Prince. I've found this in almost every Thai restaurant I've been in.


No!  I have eaten truckloads of Thai food in my life and I never seen this on a menu.  Now my life is incomplete!
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on May 09, 2006, 01:37:08 am
I love how I get cravings for food I have never had.
but something about the dense nature of these foods is making me really hungry.
you know, how all the flavors are blended together, but distinct at the same time?
that kills me.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: CortJstr on May 09, 2006, 01:45:16 am
I'm kind of a purist so I'll go with Cort. Cort might one of those people genetically predisposed to hate cilantro. Certain people taste soap when they taste cilantro, others don't. It's a weird deal.

Exactly. If there's any at all in my food I notice it immediately and flinch.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: misterqueue on May 09, 2006, 01:47:17 am
Also way to go off-topic.  Apparently we are all listening to our Stomachs in 2006!
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: theinevitable on May 09, 2006, 02:18:08 am
I am so good at introducing topics which will distract us from the important, main topic.

what are your favorite wandering threads? the best sub-topics?

(not really.)
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 09, 2006, 03:05:10 am
I am so good at introducing topics which will distract us from the important, main topic.

what are your favorite wandering threads? the best sub-topics?

(not really.)

My favorite sub topics deal with

Oh, I see what you have done, BUT WHYYYYYYYYYY??????
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: Hobot on May 09, 2006, 03:08:55 am
Pad Thai is my favourite food ever.  I obviously don't care a lot about food (because I am vegan; clearly if food were important to me I would not deprive myself in such a way, or at least this is how I see it), but pad Thai is so delicious that it could probably bring about world peace.

In terms of Indian food, I, too, would recommend channa masala as a good gateway curry.  It is insanely good.
Title: Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
Post by: AugustWest on May 09, 2006, 03:11:26 am
LOCK'D

When we get meta-posts about derailing the topic from Thai food in the music thread, it's time DAMMIT.