The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: linnea on July 15, 2006, 10:04:24 pm

Title: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on July 15, 2006, 10:04:24 pm
So I am trying to grow my hair out. All my friends and ladies that I work with are recommending that I don't wash my hair every day. I am torn. My hair looks super-nizzasty when I don't wash it every day. What do you people think?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: pmcd9 on July 15, 2006, 10:06:37 pm
Wash your hair.  Do you want to go around with smelly hair?  Also, there should be a poll.

~Paul
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on July 15, 2006, 10:24:33 pm
Houston, we have a poll. I was going to not wash my hair today to give my friends' hypothesis that only washing it every other day is better for it, but I just broke down and washed it in the shower. It just seems weird to take a shower and not wash it.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Ben-San on July 15, 2006, 10:31:11 pm
I have kinda long hair (for a dude, at least) and I wash it most days. Something some people suggest is to not use conditioner every time you wash it. I dunno what the effect of this is.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Hobot on July 15, 2006, 10:58:33 pm
Here (http://www.goaskalice.com/0555.html) are some good suggestions regarding how frequently you should wash your hair.  I have heard that it is not really necessary to wash it every day if your hair does not tend to be oily, or if you don't exercise vigorously on a daily basis.  But, since you mentioned that your hair becomes "super-nizzasty" (quotation marks not meant to imply derision; only for the sake of accuracy) if you do not wash it daily, it sounds like you should continue to do so every day.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: pmcd9 on July 15, 2006, 11:02:17 pm
The poll is good.  Better would be a video of you washing your hair.

~Paul
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Drygioni on July 15, 2006, 11:18:12 pm
Linnea! I know it can get smelly with all that sweat and grime, but washing it everyday just seems excessive!
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: pmcd9 on July 15, 2006, 11:33:57 pm
Linnea! I know it can get smelly with all that sweat and grime, but washing it everyday just seems excessive!

Kinda like brushing your teeth eh Judy.

~Paul
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on July 15, 2006, 11:42:05 pm
I wash my hair every day, and never use conditioner.  If I use conditioner, no matter  how well I wash it out, my hair turns gross after a few hours.  I do try to give my hair a break now and then, and give it a day or two off and wear a hat to dew rag, but basically, if I don't wash my hair it is not suitable for public presentation.  I had super long hair for years, and still had to wash it basically everyday - except that it was long enough to pile on top of my head to conceal the greasy roots sometime, and now that I have short hair, it's even more nessisary.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on July 15, 2006, 11:52:28 pm
What, is this an Alaska thing?  It's too cold to get your hair wet every day?

People didn't used to wash their hair every day.  The Technical Staff remembers that when he was very wee, there was a commercial for Prell shampoo that touted its ability to keep your hair cleaner for more days.  A week even I think.  But somehow this changed. I think a lot of it is that now people have hairstyles that need to be washed every day to look right.  (And all the shampoos say they are 'gentle enough to use every day.')

If you have long straight hair that you can sleep on and still look normal in the morning, AND it's not oily, you can be old-fashioned and not wash it every day.  But like Smells I had to wash it every day even when it was long, which was part of the reason I gave up keeping it long.

So, um, how do your friends and co-workers look, actually?  Are you sure you want to take hair advice from them?

Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on July 15, 2006, 11:55:59 pm
So, um, how do your friends and co-workers look, actually?  Are you sure you want to take hair advice from them?

Even more importantly, do you want to take hair advice from us?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jough on July 15, 2006, 11:59:12 pm
I have great hair, and I tend to wash it every day.  Well, I need to wash it every day. Working from home means sometimes not even getting fully dressed some days (although that is about to change this week as I take a non-bohemian job for the first time in five years) but yeah, I pretty much shower at least once a day in the summer because if it gets above 72F I sweat and my hair gets a little frizzy.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: CortJstr on July 16, 2006, 12:26:07 am
The poll is good.  Better would be a video of you washing your hair.

~Paul

Hot!

I wash mine unless I've overslept. I have been told by hair-cutting people that I should never use conditioner.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on July 16, 2006, 12:33:13 am
The poll is good.  Better would be a video of you washing your hair.

~Paul
Hot!

Creepy!


When my hair was very short, I didn't ever use conditioner. This was helped by the fact that I'm a total sucker for Aveda products and use a lot of product to style my hair.

I just hate having greasy roots. I don't know how to get around that without shampooing every day. I like my hair SHINY, dammit. I hate days when I oversleep and don't have time for a shower. On those sad days, I always end up coming home over lunchtime and washing my hair in the kitchen sink. There is something totally refreshing about washing your hair in the sink. I love it.

Most of the people that I know who don't wash it every day have very long hair. They also do stuff like use heated styling tools on it, which I do not do (save blowdrying it). Their hair is also not shiny. However, one of my sisters does not wash her hair every day, and her hair always looks fabulous. My other sister washes her hair every day and it looks fabulous. I think that as long as I take care of it and remember to eat protein every day (yuck) then I should be okay.

I was vegetarian/vegan for many years and my hair always looked like shit compared to my omniverous sisters. However, now that I make smoothies with protein powder and try to eat subsistence-caught giraffe, my hair looks great.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Mite on July 16, 2006, 12:42:13 am
I've found that the less you wash your hair, the less you need to wash your hair. I used to be an every-dayer, and my hair would get disgusting if I didn't. But I lose my dye job really quickly if I wash it that much, so I just started stretching out the time I could go. When it's short, I can go about 5 or 6 days without washing it. Now that it's growing out, my bangs can get greasy from me constantly pushing them out of my eyes, so this gets cut down to more like every 3 or 4 days. I just rinse everything really well. Sweat's water soluble after all. And your hair will ramp up oil production if you just strip it all off all the time.

And I absolutely do not smell. At least I don't think I do. If you ever meet me in person, and I smell, please tell me. Thank you.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on July 16, 2006, 12:53:18 am
(although that is about to change this week as I take a non-bohemian job for the first time in five years)

THREAD, I am pointing a gun at your head and demanding that you take me to a story about Jough's new job or I will shoot.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Doc on July 16, 2006, 12:56:10 am
I wash my hair generally five days out of 7 (there are 2 days a week I generally don't sleep at home and at the persons place I am at I can never find the shampoo) I know generally after two days without washing my hair is noticably greasy though not terribly so. I never use conditioner as it makes my hair go completely limp and then it won't stay out of my eyes.
Now that I think on it though when I was younger I remember we only used to wash our hair every second day.
But I'm really for people washing their filthy bodies every single day.

Then again I know my main lady doesn't wash hers everyday, particularly after a dye job and she does fine.

I think this (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2865.msg70289.html#msg70289) is about the most he's said about it Womby.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jough on July 16, 2006, 01:05:12 am
I'll have more to tell this week when I choose between hopefully three offers.  That is, if my #1 choice of an employer gets back to me soon.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: AugustWest on July 16, 2006, 02:19:43 am
Wash my hair every time I take a shower, which is usually 6 days out of 7.  I have rather oily skin and hair and if I don't I'm uncomfortable and feel skeezy.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Hobot on July 16, 2006, 02:36:33 am
When my hair was very short, I didn't ever use conditioner. This was helped by the fact that I'm a total sucker for Aveda products and use a lot of product to style my hair.

I just hate having greasy roots. I don't know how to get around that without shampooing every day. I like my hair SHINY, dammit. I hate days when I oversleep and don't have time for a shower. On those sad days, I always end up coming home over lunchtime and washing my hair in the kitchen sink. There is something totally refreshing about washing your hair in the sink. I love it.

Most of the people that I know who don't wash it every day have very long hair. They also do stuff like use heated styling tools on it, which I do not do (save blowdrying it). Their hair is also not shiny. However, one of my sisters does not wash her hair every day, and her hair always looks fabulous. My other sister washes her hair every day and it looks fabulous. I think that as long as I take care of it and remember to eat protein every day (yuck) then I should be okay.

I was vegetarian/vegan for many years and my hair always looked like shit compared to my omniverous sisters. However, now that I make smoothies with protein powder and try to eat subsistence-caught giraffe, my hair looks great.

It's crazy how much this post applies to me.

I am a sucker for Redken products, which I believe keep my very long hair in good shape.  My hair is shiny and healthy and all that good stuff, despite the fact that I don't wash it every day (rather, every other day); in fact, it is safe to say that I have excellent hair.  I am consistently complimented on it by my hair stylist, as well as by friends, acquaintances, and even a random guy on the street one day (which was endearingly weird).  I never blow-dry it (because I am afraid of hair dryers; they are loud and get terrifyingly tangled in my hair) and rarely use a straightening iron on it, which keeps it from getting damaged.  Oh, and I'm also a vegan.

SUMMARY: expensive products + not washing it every day + not using heated styling tools + veganism = fantastic long hair.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on July 16, 2006, 03:50:20 am
I am having a great image of you turning on a hairdryer and just freaking out and your hair flying all over...
and then you're like NO. STOP. and you turn it off.

I am not sure why my mental image was so elaborate.

Yeah, my hair is super-greezy if I don't wash it every day. Also: right now it is So Long. And my hair is the thickest hair ever, so it is basically a ball on top of my head. it is horrible. It is at the point where I fantasize about shaving it all off (or, at least, most of it.)

(a slightly more clever way to express) My Mom's Opinion About Shaving My Head: "Daniel, quite frankly, you're too skinny to shave your head. Everyone would be looking for the number on your arm."

Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on July 16, 2006, 06:17:11 am
Hobot, I think that you just have Good Hair Genes.

Some people can grow their hair long and it looks smooth and fantastic. Some people like me just can't grow long hair and have it look pretty. I did get my hair trimmed on Friday after work and I'm pretty happy with it now. When I'm not on call I will cook up a batch of henna (http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/catzoom.html?mv_arg=Hair%20Hennas&expand=Haircare) and slather it on my head. It is such a soothing ritual.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: slink on July 16, 2006, 10:37:07 am
(a slightly more clever way to express) My Mom's Opinion About Shaving My Head: "Daniel, quite frankly, you're too skinny to shave your head. Everyone would be looking for the number on your arm."

I think with me it's a cross between that, and that people would be looking for the scars where my brain surgery happened. I've never had the healthiest complexion, as well as being the skinniest person on earth. I also have a fear I have an odd shaped head, though I'm probably imagining it having never seen it.

As for hair, I tend to wash it most days, though sometimes every other day. That is, it still tends to get washed every day, but the shampoo might be left out. I have incredibly frizzy hair unless I give it a touch of product straight after washing it. I don't even go near conditioner as it makes my hair even frizzier. Due to the frizz, and since I'm going to grow it out again, I might try dreading it first, just to see how that works out.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on July 16, 2006, 06:46:58 pm
a girl I work with has a solution to the hair issue: she has shaved her head.

actually, this is the completely awesome story:

"honey I just -love- you hair! Where do you get it done?"
(I'm thinking: what? her hair is so hideous!)
"well, um, ma'am... you know. just a place."
"but where? who styled it?"
"well... the store. it's a wig."
"oh, sug (as in: sugar), I'm so sorry!" *awkwardly walks away*

a few minutes later, she took off the wig, showing us that she had shaved her head into a semi-mohawk. the wig was just for work.

I should get her a card that says "I'm sorry that *blank*" and I'll fill in the blank with "I thought you had lost your hair due to Disease or Chemo."

but yes. Today I overslept and didn't get a chance to shower, and my hair is pretty gross.

The funny part: yesterday while reading this thread, I thought "gee, people oversleep and can't shower? I've never overslept -that- much!"
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: V-Adore on July 16, 2006, 08:40:10 pm
I have certainly not showered due to oversleeping in the past. Honestly, washing my hair more is one of my resolutions as I begin graduate school; I'm currently an every-other-day washer, but I hope that every day might make things better. Conditioner may also be indicated, as some of my teenage oily-hair issues seem to be working themselves out.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: CortJstr on July 16, 2006, 10:27:25 pm
I haven't skipped showering entirely due to over-sleep since college. Although I do occasionally hop in, hit the problem areas with soap, wet my hair enough to comb it, and get the hell out.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on July 17, 2006, 02:01:00 pm
After proudly stating that I wash my hair every day here, I then went without washing it Saturday and Sunday, having last washed it on Friday.  But it's been so greasy that I've simply worn a hat out everywhere I've gone.  But today ends it! 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: misterqueue on July 17, 2006, 02:15:59 pm
After proudly stating that I wash my hair every day here, I then went without washing it Saturday and Sunday, having last washed it on Friday.  But it's been so greasy that I've simply worn a hat out everywhere I've gone.  But today ends it! 

Wear a hat! Don't forget to wear a hat! (http://www.homestarrunner.com/dween_kidsbook.html)
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on July 17, 2006, 02:26:10 pm
Lovely.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Turbo Ninja on July 17, 2006, 02:59:38 pm
You might also try switching up your shampoos.  I use Head & Shoulders in tandem with American Crew.  H&S takes care of the harsh cleaning two or three times a week and the AC provides a balancing gentler, more nourishing clean.  The results are less frizzy and puffy than if I used just H&S or AC exclusively.   I've also decided that boutique hair products are better than megamart brands.

I only use conditioner if I'm planning on using "product" such as pomade to style my hairdo (this only happens once or twice a month).
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 25, 2006, 06:03:01 am
I usually wash my hair about once a week, but that is the number of showers I take as well.  My hair is an afro though that looks better un-washed.  By better I mean more insane.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on July 25, 2006, 07:04:25 am
man, the mental picture I have for you is my favorite.

kind of a baseball player type with a mustache. and there's all this cocaine caked in the 'stache. and he has an afro. and he's all grimy. and he smells like 1000000 cigarettes. and he's wearing a baseball uniform. intense.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 25, 2006, 07:14:54 am
Man that mental picture is pretty close, but I will not ruin it by fixing the parts that are wrong.


I also meant to say two showers a week, but for some reason I said one.  In reality it is 2-3.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Thee on July 31, 2006, 06:40:48 pm
Me being in a clique of filthy college DJ hipsters with ornate and senseless hair have gotten into contests of how long we can go without washing our hair.  A month, usually.  Sometimes longer.  Usually longer.  Hair before music, as we always say.  I hope it grosses all of you out.  Heroin-chic, as they say.

Someone mentioned gentleness and that is it.  I now forego shampoo, and use some fancy detergent-free Wen conditioner that cleans without the harsh stripping of oils that normal shampoo does, which I absolutely cannot stand.  Agitates the scalp.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on July 31, 2006, 06:48:37 pm
The truth is, that I lied before. 

I do not wash my hair every day. 

I would like to think I wash my hair every day, but in fact, for the summer months, when I am not publically employed, it can be 2 pm before I even consider getting out of my pj's - like today.  It is only when I am in the public eye that I wash my hair daily.  Right now, if I must be out in public, I usually just toss on a hat so no one can see the oily mess that is my hair.

I'm sorry that I lied to you. 

I hope none of you felt pressure to live up to my false standard of daily hair washing. 

I am so sorry.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on August 01, 2006, 02:43:40 am
Sometimes I wash my hair several times a day. Like when I load it with henna. Also, pretty much the only way I can coax myself out of bed is by promising myself a hot shower immediately. Then, if I go outside hiking, or if I go work out, I will almost always take another shower and wash my hair again. My landlord charges $1.75 to wash and $1.75 to dry, so I figure it's cheaper for me to wash my person each night before going to bed rather than fork out more quarters to wash my sheets more often than once a week. If I am too tired to wash up before bed, I just put a towel over my pillow and call it good.

Dang, I hope that isn't as weird and Howard Hughes-ish as it sounds.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jough on August 01, 2006, 04:11:16 am
Only if you keep little moist towelettes on your person so you can clean your hands after touching someone else.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on August 01, 2006, 05:59:34 am
I originally understood it as your landlord charging you to wash and dry yourself.

that would be pretty awesome, and horrible.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on August 01, 2006, 06:25:14 am
I originally understood it as your landlord charging you to wash and dry yourself.

that would be pretty awesome, and horrible.

It KILLS ME to pay those prices for laundry. All the other places I have lived had washer/dryer units in the apartment. I was used to doing a load of laundry every day if I wanted. I could come home from working out, wash my workout clothes in hot water and extra detergent, and have them dry and ready for the next day. Since I can't bring myself to wear dirty clothes to the gym, and I only have 3 sports bras, I typically only work out 3 times a week because I don't want to spend the extra money to do more laundry. The obvious answer would be to buy 5 sets of workout gear (#####, since I wont' wear shorts), but I don't have that kind of money. It infuriates me. I just want to save up enough to buy a goddamn house that has its own fuck*ng washer and dryer.

I basically spend more on laundry than I do on petrol for my fuck*ng car. And gasoline here is $3.60 a gallon! It makes me FURIOUS just to think about how much money I give my landlord!

Whoa, take a deep breath there. Okay. I'm better now.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on August 01, 2006, 07:21:55 am
...is there a laundromat?

those prices seemed reasonable to me, and then I realized that I spent like 1.00$ doing laundry the time I went to a laundromat (or rather, the laundry room in the basement of a college dorm.)
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jough on August 01, 2006, 03:05:11 pm
RP: Can't you just get oil like, out of the ground up there? 

It's not quite $3.60/gal here yet, but I'm sure it will be soon.

It won't be long now before petrol costs more per gallon than bottled water or Fourbucks coffee.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on August 02, 2006, 03:56:03 am
RP: Can't you just get oil like, out of the ground up there? 

It's not quite $3.60/gal here yet, but I'm sure it will be soon.

It won't be long now before petrol costs more per gallon than bottled water or Fourbucks coffee.

No, the free cash money straight outta the ground is only in ANWR, or so the GOP keeps telling us. All we have here is tundra, foxes, and a million stray cats.  And no, there's no laundromat. We have an island with a population less than my high school, we're lucky to have a grocery store. And 12 miles to the west is an active volcano, but nobody's figured out how to harness geothermal power here. We had some dudes from Iceland come out, but somehow it got all political. I don't know.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: pmcd9 on August 06, 2006, 08:15:31 pm
Jough, the get the oil out of the ground in AK, but they refine it in Texas.

I slept in a bed for the first time in a week last night, but I have washed my hair everyday.

~Paul
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jough on August 06, 2006, 10:20:32 pm
And they refine oil from Texas in Philadelphia.  Go figure.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 05, 2006, 01:30:10 am
The gas we get is refined here fom oil that is from Indonesia. We don't get American or OPEC oil here. Gas is $3.12 a gallon today (Labor day)
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jough on September 05, 2006, 03:13:23 am
It's around $2.90 in Philly.  It's a bit cheaper in South Jersey.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on September 05, 2006, 03:15:02 am
96.5 cents a litre here, but was $1.12 for most of summer.  Sucks.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: AugustWest on September 05, 2006, 03:37:22 am
$2.36/gal here.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: slink on September 05, 2006, 04:43:30 am
$8.56/gal here.

Thank you, and good night!

Ugh, and that after spending about six hundred bucks taxing, MOT'ing and repairing my car. I wish I didn't need the fuck*ng thing sometimes.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on September 05, 2006, 05:09:05 am
Walking is now my primary means of transport! I am like what would happen if we forgot how to make the wheel!
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on September 05, 2006, 05:45:05 am
$8.56/gal here.

Thank you, and good night!

Ugh, and that after spending about six hundred bucks taxing, MOT'ing and repairing my car. I wish I didn't need the fuck*ng thing sometimes.


Holy fuckin' hell, slink! Where the fuck do you live that petrol costs that goddamn much -- a place whose government doesn't subsidize your oil? I heard that it costs like $8 a litre in the UK (and there are about 3.785 litres per US gallon). Crazy.

Also, with the hair-washing I have found that I need more detangling products as my hair gets longer. It has been forever, or at least 4 or 5 years since my hair was long enough to pull into a ponytail. I think I'll keep growing it out.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: slink on September 05, 2006, 11:59:23 am
Holy fuckin' hell, slink! Where the fuck do you live that petrol costs that goddamn much -- a place whose government doesn't subsidize your oil? I heard that it costs like $8 a litre in the UK (and there are about 3.785 litres per US gallon). Crazy.

No, it's at least only $8 a gallon here, but we buy it by the litre. If we priced it by the gallon we'd have riots happening. As is we occasionally have truckers blockading fuel depots in protest at the ever rising prices. And at least I think Norway is more expensive than here, not that that's really any kind of consolation! It's still pretty much the cheapest liquid here too.

As for the topic, I still don't know whta I'm doing with my hair. Washing it yes, but it's getting to a frustrating length and I can't decide whether to just leave it be, dread it or cut it all off again. I need something for warmth in winter, I'm missing that subcutaneous fat.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Hobot on September 05, 2006, 12:17:44 pm
Holy fuckin' hell, slink! Where the fuck do you live that petrol costs that goddamn much -- a place whose government doesn't subsidize your oil? I heard that it costs like $8 a litre in the UK (and there are about 3.785 litres per US gallon). Crazy.

Finish that tank, kids; there are oil-starved people in Europe.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Drygioni on September 05, 2006, 03:26:56 pm
To be fair, in the UK we really don't need much petrol. You can get from A to B in most places on a single full tank, depending on the size of your car. As an aside, I love the fact that Britain is so comparatively small. There is really quite a lot to see and do, and yet it is all within a distance smaller than the average US state. Exquisite.

On the news they sometimes have reports on rising prices in America which seem paltry to us, but that's rationalised with distance. Unless you're one of those wankers who live and work all year in the city yet commute with an SUV. To be fair, we get a lot of those; Chelsea tractors is pretty much the standard colloquial.

Christ, in my area of the country there's a ton of rich families who merely live 5 miles from the nearest town and think that gives them an excuse to drive one of those petrol guzzling bitches of vehicles. They never take them off-road, and get pretty angry if you quiz them about why they have such a vehicle. Standard excuse is that they have kids, but people carriers are better for that! What the hell people.

Basically, fuck people who own SUV's for stupid reasons.

Man, now this is completely off-topic, and I have nothing to say about hair. Sorry.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: CortJstr on September 05, 2006, 04:15:38 pm
Sometimes I really really wish I was a cop just so I could pull over people driving Humvees on roads like I-66 where no trucks are allowed. They have such an insanely high GVW that they are considered trucks but none of the real cops ever call them on it. I'd also pull over the fucktards who drive in the rain with their headlights off. No matter how sunny it is they have to be on. It's not that difficult of a rule.

Judy: "people carriers"?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Drygioni on September 05, 2006, 04:21:37 pm
Judy: "people carriers"?

(http://www.best4cars.co.uk/images/cars/Renault%20Espace%202006.jpg)

Maybe you call them MPVs?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on September 05, 2006, 04:36:45 pm
"Van" or "minivan."

my mom drives an SUV. But she is buying a Hybrid to replace it. Her excuse (for the SUV) is that driving a minivan is basically like driving Shit. I do not understand this, as driving her SUV (land cruiser) was fuck*ng impossible. I can attest. I do not want to imagine what an even larger vehicle would feel like.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on September 06, 2006, 12:49:15 am
I scoffed at people who owned SUVs when I lived in Colorado, because Colorado has one of the highest SUV per capita rates in the nation. There were only a few occasions where even my Buick couldn't handle mountain driving. I could understand if you lived in the rural parts of the Colorado mountains, but come on.

Living where I do in rural Alaska, everybody has a truck. The people who don't...well, they cannot get anywhere during the winter. Most of the people who have regular passenger vehicles drive a truck in the winter. I have a 1986 1/2 Nissan Pathfinder, the oldest vehicle I've ever owned, and I love it. I have to admit that when I do move back to Colorado, I've been spoilt by the 4WD and I would probably buy another SUV or truck as my next vehicle. Yes, I am a hypocrite!
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on September 06, 2006, 01:05:11 am
What confuses me is that people say they need these huge cars because they have kids, but aren't families smaller than they used to be?  Why have cars gotten bigger?

But -- Hair!  I got a really great haircut. This hardly ever happens. I have great conversations with my hairdresser, but I hate my hair.  But right now it is is good!
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: CortJstr on September 06, 2006, 01:31:03 am
But -- Hair!  I got a really great haircut. This hardly ever happens. I have great conversations with my hairdresser, but I hate my hair.  But right now it is is good!

I hate having the talk to the hairdresser. The worst is places where they want to massage your head before they wash it. That's just horrible.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on September 06, 2006, 01:43:25 am
I have had the same person cut my hair for years now, so it is easy.  She has been following the whole saga of whether I will ever get a job and so on, so we don't lack for conversation.  I highly recommend having the same person cut your hair all the time if only because it is less of a pain than talking to a new stranger in a ridiculously awkward situation like that.

Although come to think of it, it would be nice if my life were settled enough for a while that I had nothing to talk to the hairdresser about. 

Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on September 06, 2006, 01:55:38 am
I hate having the talk to the hairdresser. The worst is places where they want to massage your head before they wash it. That's just horrible.

I must respectfully disagree and state that the scalp massage is the best part. I love Aveda salons because they almost always massage your scalp and hair with fragrant oil, and then wash your hair. They are also against animal testing.

Also, if you don't talk to the hairdresser, they are less likely to give you a haircut that you like. Then again...I have curly hair that is several different textures (smooth towards the front of my head, but coarser towards the back) so I have to have someone who not only understands the human head (heh... that reminds me of Ray's admonishment that you cannot pay too much for a haircut (http://=http://achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=07182005&allnav). However, I must disagree with Ray and state that for me personally, having the right haircut is a starting point, the rest of the foundation of the Pyramid of Good Hair is built on product: shampoo/conditioner, and styling product.

When my hair was shorter, product was essential for keeping my hair shiny. Now, however, the detangling part is more important. I switch between two shampoos/conditioners: Aveda Black Malva and Garnier Fructis Sleek/Shine. I can't towel-dry my hair without tangling it, so I just wrap it turban style in a towel for a few minutes, then apply Ojon Conditioning Shine Serum which smells goddamned heavenly, and then I blow it dry. Once it's dry, I take a tiny amount of Aveda Self Control, liquefy it in my hands, and distribute to the ends and back of my hair. It's a hair wax/pomade that helps smooth out coarse hair and keep it from frizzing up. Those two products cost a shitload, but they are so worth it. My next purchase is going to be Ojon deep conditioner, which is like fifty bucks but if the shine serum is any indication, it'll be worth its weight in gold.

Then I'm done. I get a haircut at the Aveda salon about every 6 weeks. If my hair gets really dry, I use a deep conditioner (either by Aveda or Garnier Fructis). I pin my hair back to keep it off my face or use a scarf or headband, and I'm set for the day.

I love the scalp massage because it's so relaxing and luxurious. I love having someone else wash my hair. Totally worth the $50 haircut.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on September 06, 2006, 02:20:16 am
There are two kinds of people in the world, those who find a massage relaxing and those who are totally creeped out by having a stranger touch them. I can barely stand to have my hair washed - if they tried to massage me with oil I'd probably run screaming into the street. But then, relaxing has never been one of my talents.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: AugustWest on September 06, 2006, 03:05:01 am
I cut my own hair; I've never noticed whether I hold a conversation with myself at the same time.  I can say for sure that no oil is involved.  Other than that which lubricates the clippers.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Choop on September 06, 2006, 03:29:13 am
Linnea's link, fixed: 3rd question (http://achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=07182005)
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on September 06, 2006, 03:58:51 am
Linnea's link, fixed: 3rd question (http://achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=07182005)
Damn! Thanks, Choop. A fine job CJing. A tiny can of Dr. Pepper to you, good sir.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on September 06, 2006, 09:55:42 pm
I cut my own hair; I've never noticed whether I hold a conversation with myself at the same time.

I find myself imagining you doing a running narration while you cut your hair, and somehow not noticing that you're doing a running narration.  This is wonderful thing to imagine.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Lister on September 07, 2006, 04:37:29 am
I go to a cheap place.  When there is someone available they say hi and then they cut my hair.  I give them a $20, and say 'keep the change' and walk out feeling like a big shot.

When I am going outside, I wash my hair and the rest of me.  Other times I do not.  Outside and non-washed me do not happen together.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 11, 2006, 07:18:26 pm
What confuses me is that people say they need these huge cars because they have kids, but aren't families smaller than they used to be?  Why have cars gotten bigger?

It's not the families themselves, it's the volume of crap you bring with you.  A big goddamn stroller, a huge fuck*ng diaper bag, and a billion jillion accessories that our parents sure as hell didn't have, but now we just can't fuck*ng live without.  Or our kids will DIE.

Not that I'm bitter about this or anything.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on September 12, 2006, 01:10:12 am
...accessories that our parents sure as hell didn't have, but now we just can't fuck*ng live without.  Or our kids will DIE.

Hey, what is that accessory that keeps babies from dying?  I have a lot of friends who are either pregnant, recent parents, or tryin' so I'm thinking I should buy a couple.

If there is an item so upfront in marketing that they claim to specifically protect your baby from death... we'll I don't know if they evil, or geniuses or both.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on September 12, 2006, 01:28:59 am
Actually apparently there are a ton of products like that.  I was surprised to find when I visited my sister that she has special clamps to keep the toilet seats closed.  I didn't know we had a big problem with toddlers drowning in toilet bowls.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on September 12, 2006, 02:24:35 am
Actually apparently there are a ton of products like that.  I was surprised to find when I visited my sister that she has special clamps to keep the toilet seats closed.  I didn't know we had a big problem with toddlers drowning in toilet bowls.

Oh Jesus, that's going to be me in a few years when I have my Suri look-alike*. I am probably too nervous to ever have chlidren. I'm always afraid they're going to break or something. Thank God that all of the kids I've dealt with in my EMS career so far have been conscious. EMS is one situation where I'm grateful to have a screaming child, because it means they at least have an airway. It's the limp, blue children that freak you the hell out.

I was holding a friend's baby at EMS training the other night, and they all joked that I was going to be like another lady in our town, who is Supermom and is there at every little cough and sniffle that her baby emits. I can't help it, they're little and fragile!



*I decided that I didn't really care about having kids -- until I saw a photo of Suri. I fuck*ng hate Tom Cruise and his weird-ass religion and his bizarre antics, but when I saw her little face I was like, "WTF! She looks like she should be my daughter! How did they end up with a child with hair like mine??"
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on September 12, 2006, 02:30:21 am
*I decided that I didn't really care about having kids -- until I saw a photo of Suri. I fuck*ng hate Tom Cruise and his weird-ass religion and his bizarre antics, but when I saw her little face I was like, "WTF! She looks like she should be my daughter! How did they end up with a child with hair like mine??"

Well, with all those rumours floating around, it is possible that someone extracted and egg from you and grew her in a tube somewhere.   Since apparently Katie was just hiding a beach ball under her shirt, and you know Tom's c*ck shrivels when it comes within two feet of a pu$$y.  So what I am saying is that they stole your baby.  Go get her and change the name to something that's not so stupid ass stupid, okay? 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Doc on September 12, 2006, 07:14:01 am
Actually there is this wonderful little concoction I buy from the local salon made from fresh goat cheese curds mixed with purified bile from three and a half week old baby pomeranian puppies, it smells like lavendar and brings my natural shine out a treat.

My normal haircut costs about 10 to 15 bucks and I get it cut about once every three months or so. Last year I got it shaved to I went more like six months, I'd do it again but I have a giant scar across my head and my girlfriend intimated that if I once again had a haircut that made me look like a skin head she would cease providing companionship for the duration of the offending 'do. My brother who regularly spends 70+ dollars on his hair and buys all sorts of gels and mousses (Moussi?) finds this state of affairs disgusting as well as the fact that I have what is apparently a perfect part while he doesn't. My hair goes sideways down the middle, I assume this is because I leave it alone without fuck*ng with it so gravity does the rest while he fights gravity and nature at every turn.
It's getting long enough that I need to cut it again soon but I don't like my hair at medium length because it makes me look look 12.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Doc on September 12, 2006, 09:03:27 am
Also: Suri is obviously that baby the Raelian's cloned a few years back, the scientologists just stole her.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 12, 2006, 01:27:44 pm
Ooh, Catie del Vaca was a spectacular barfer for her first few months.  One night she got me in a perfect diagonal line across my dark blue t-shirt.  It looked like I was wearing a sash.

Yeah, we had one of those toilet-seat-holder-closers. The dumbest thing we own, in my opinion, is this big padded thingy you can put in the seat of a grocery cart (http://shop.nurturecenter.com/flseshcaseco.html), then put your kid in it.

Because a grocery cart seat is SO fuck*ng FILTHY OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on September 12, 2006, 04:52:08 pm
dude, as someone who has worked in a supermarket... those carts are fuck*ng gross.

that's just me, though. i would also say that rancid meat is not something you should buy, but, whatever.

(I had a dream last night that they were trying to make me come to work during times when I have classes. In the dream, the distance from here to Charlotte was not the issue-- the issue was that I had a class then. I ended up lying and telling them my mom wouldn't let me come to work.)
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 12, 2006, 04:54:15 pm
But they mark down the prices on rancid meat so much!  How do you suggest I feed my family on this budget?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: V-Adore on September 12, 2006, 09:28:25 pm
See, my gut instinct on the toilet-lid-holder-closer is that it's the kind of thing you buy with the excuse that it will SAVE YOUR BABY'S LIFE, but in fact it just makes the baby less irritating. Like those baby-fences -- while I'm sure that those have kept some toddlers from going fatally ass-over-teakettle down the stairs, for every life saved I'm sure there are ten babies who were just safely kept away from Mommy-and-or-Daddy's study so work could get done. I doubt many toddlers are drowning in toilets, but I'm sure many toddlers have figured out that you can bang toilet lids together to make a noise and have embarked on this hobby with vigor.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 12, 2006, 09:32:04 pm
Gotta disagree with you on that.  When they're first learning to walk, most kids would be more than happy to fall down a flight of stairs (or climb halfway up, then fall back down) if not blocked by a gate.

That's for the stairs, anyway.  We do put a gate up between the family room and kitchen from time to time, so's we can actually cook dinner.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on September 13, 2006, 12:40:31 am
the thing I don't understand about the Rancid Meat issue: meat is not strictly essential. The only reason we eat it in the amount we do is that is tasty as hell. So... why buy large quantities of rancid meat? if it smells so bad that I nearly vomit, can it really taste that good?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on September 13, 2006, 12:44:23 am
See, my gut instinct on the toilet-lid-holder-closer is that it's the kind of thing you buy with the excuse that it will SAVE YOUR BABY'S LIFE, but in fact it just makes the baby less irritating.

This reminds me of how everyone used to have those "Baby on board" stickers on their car, and I could never figure out why - like if I had to make a split second decision about which of two cars to crash into, I would decide to spare your baby's life?  But then I realized that they were really basically a warning sign that the driver of that car was totally distracted and sleep-deprived and it would be safer to give it a wide berth.


Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on September 13, 2006, 05:10:46 am
Those fences are great but I better not let Spouse catch me putting pets and toddler in the laundry room and fencing them all in again.

Who'm I kidding? This time I'll give Asherbaby a tin measuring cup to bang on the fence and take pictures while the cats look all indignant.

Hahaha, the cats all indignant from being locked away like vandals with the toddler? That gave me the best mental picture. I totally imagined Lennybruce giving me a sour-as-hell death glare while mini-Somebody nice/Suri pounds on the babygate with a half-cup measuring cup.

Actually there is this wonderful little concoction I buy from the local salon made from fresh goat cheese curds mixed with purified bile from three and a half week old baby pomeranian puppies, it smells like lavendar and brings my natural shine out a treat.

Dude, now you're just making fun of my ridiculous hair products. Insufferable, I do declare.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: pmcd9 on September 13, 2006, 05:13:34 am
Wouldn't the fence basically need to be a complete door to contain a cat?

I got a visit from the neighbors cat last night.  He didn't stay long.

~Paul
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Doc on September 13, 2006, 06:01:15 am
I am sorry Linnea, it was more making fun of the industry in general than you, I think wanting to make your hair look nice is pretty rad. I also think there are people out there who think coffee beans are better because a cat pooped them out so I am sure there is a hair care equivalent.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: kellichou on September 14, 2006, 06:29:33 am
My update on the hair-washin' debate:  I am a happy girl now that I've found a dark-tinted hair powder to shake on my roots.  See, in the last few years my hair has seemed to change suddenly from sad dry scalp all the time to uber-greasy scalp.  WTF?  (note:  my doctor says the greasiness is nothing to worry about).

I got sick of washing my hair every single day to avoid greasy roots, so sometimes, to last longer between washings, I'll shake on this brown hair powder called "Hair Fix" that I got off eBay.  Some lady in CA sells it.  It smells nice (3.5 week old Pomeranian puppy bile and all, grin), and really controls the oil slick that is my head.  Bumble & Bumble also makes an aerosol spray hair powder, but $40 for 4 oz?  No thank you.  Overpriced bastards.  The Hair Fix is $20 for 3 oz.  And besides absorbing oil and smelling nice, it's volumizing!  Woot!  And it's in a flip-top container.

I tried to use baby powder, but on almost black hair, white baby powder just won't cut it.

My goal, of course, is to figure out how to make tinted hair powder myself, so I won't have to pay $20 for 3 oz., because I am cheap like that.  But we shall see. 

The only down side to using this hair powder is that when I scratch my head, I get the powder under my nails.  Gross.  And I guess I have this weird fear that medical personnel will take one [close] look at my scalp and think that I am the filthiest person alive.  But that is only paranoia.

"Hair Fix."  It's a beautiful thing.



Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: slink on September 14, 2006, 06:54:39 am
"Hair Fix."  It's a beautiful thing.

Hmm. Is there some sort of opposite that works? I have really light, frizzy, but thick hair. So it just likes to stick out at random angles, but not even in a cool way. It has to be the most frustrating hair ever, but I am enjoying having it longer than an inch and a half for the first time in a couple of years. It used to be beyond shoulder length, but got on my nerves too much. It would curl up but not ringlety and self-contained, just... a bit of a mess.
So anyway, if there's some magical way people might know of to make it behave slightly, make it a bit oily so it weighs itself down?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 15, 2006, 03:55:37 am
Hmm. Is there some sort of opposite that works? I have really light, frizzy, but thick hair. So it just likes to stick out at random angles, but not even in a cool way. It has to be the most frustrating hair ever, but I am enjoying having it longer than an inch and a half for the first time in a couple of years. It used to be beyond shoulder length, but got on my nerves too much. It would curl up but not ringlety and self-contained, just... a bit of a mess.
So anyway, if there's some magical way people might know of to make it behave slightly, make it a bit oily so it weighs itself down?

You basically described my hair, but it also sticks up.  People are always asking me if I got a perm because it is just like loads of curly hair going in all directions.  My advice:  Grow it out and let it do what it wants.  Well, at least that is what I do.  Oh yeah, don't grow it to long, only til it is like 3 to 5 inchs long maybe.  My hair also does this thing where it stops growing after it gets about that long.  It is kind of convenient I guess, but not if you want to grow it out a bit more.  Also, when I shave it, it only takes like 2 weeks to get to normal length before it stops growing.  (My) Hair is weird.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on September 15, 2006, 05:27:19 am
ok, here's one for you:

if I were to grow some kind of facial hair, and I want to keep it looking un-gross... do I wash it with soap, as is my custom (since it is on my face) or do I use shampoo? I'm sure this is a stupid question.

and to answer the Inevitable question, I am cursed with a pretty good growth of facial hair for a boy my age. it will not be one of those patchy gross beards that teenage boys grow-- it is Even. and I have a beard trimmer.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2006, 05:37:31 am
If it's short, I just wash it when I wash my face (with soap).  When I've had longer beards I would occasionally throw a little conditioner on it to make it more controllable.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on September 15, 2006, 06:12:19 am
yeah, I am going to keep it short and neat. I do not want it to be a thing where I look like any sort of hobo.

basically my beard-spiration is this beard (http://www.afterelton.com/movies/2006/photos/little%20miss%20sunshine/carell.jpg). Roughly. That... short and neat beard. I could not find a picture of this kind of beard anywhere else, so, sorry steve carrell.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 15, 2006, 06:18:01 am
Ooh, Catie del Vaca was a spectacular barfer for her first few months.  One night she got me in a perfect diagonal line across my dark blue t-shirt.  It looked like I was wearing a sash.

Yeah, we had one of those toilet-seat-holder-closers. The dumbest thing we own, in my opinion, is this big padded thingy you can put in the seat of a grocery cart (http://shop.nurturecenter.com/flseshcaseco.html), then put your kid in it.

Because a grocery cart seat is SO fuck*ng FILTHY OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Still not as stupid as a "wipe warmer".

for God's sake.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 15, 2006, 02:52:34 pm
Still not as stupid as a "wipe warmer".

for God's sake.

I hear that.  Criminy, hold it between your hands for a bit, it'll be fine.  Unless you live in a fuckin' igloo, you do not need a wipe warmer.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: robot_god on September 16, 2006, 10:33:22 pm
I've been using a great shampoo/conditioner set that my mother picked up awhile ago:  it's Herbal Essences's Hello Hydration blue bottles which are scented with orchid and coconut milk.  I like coconut a lot so I think it's the best.  Coconut is very polarizing.


Essences's.  Essences's.  Essences's.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on September 17, 2006, 02:17:03 am
I've been using a great shampoo/conditioner set that my mother picked up awhile ago:  it's Herbal Essences's Hello Hydration blue bottles which are scented with orchid and coconut milk.  I like coconut a lot so I think it's the best.  Coconut is very polarizing.


Essences's.  Essences's.  Essences's.

This is part of a line of products where a gay man screams at women for various reasons to get "HAIRAPY!!"  A gay man (even if he is from Sex In The City) screaming at me does not entice me to buy a product.  This is an advertising tactic that just doesn't work for me.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: V-Adore on September 17, 2006, 02:28:07 am
Wait, the Herbal Essences stuff is the source of those Hairapy advertisements? I am concerned. Previously I had been enjoying the new formulation, but now I feel like I'm aiding and abetting a damn bad ad campaign. Le sigh.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on September 17, 2006, 02:57:04 am
Wait, the Herbal Essences stuff is the source of those Hairapy advertisements? I am concerned. Previously I had been enjoying the new formulation, but now I feel like I'm aiding and abetting a damn bad ad campaign. Le sigh.

I hate paying for stupidity, and I can't help but feel like a jackass whenever I even think of buying a product such as Mentos, so I don't buy them. Isn't it ironic that assholish overpaid advertising execs would spend money on a campaign that make people cringe to buy their effing product? I have not seen the dreaded Hairapy adverts, but they sound atrocious. Why do advertisers think that we're stupid? It's obnoxious.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Doc on September 17, 2006, 03:13:56 am
Why do advertisers think that we're stupid?

Based on current evidence it's because they are.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on September 17, 2006, 03:34:56 am
also: because many are. Many people buy these products. Advertising is Successful.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Doc on September 17, 2006, 04:20:22 am
Everyone is stupid except us.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on September 17, 2006, 07:21:05 am
yeah, for real.

The saddest thing: I still always assume that people are smart. I never believe that people fall for shitty advertising, pyramid schemes, etc. and then I realize that if they do fall for them... they can't be as smart as I think. Damn.

that, and the rancid meat thing. goddamn, that bothers me a lot.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: AugustWest on September 17, 2006, 04:50:05 pm
By definition, half of the population has an IQ of less than 100.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: pmcd9 on September 17, 2006, 05:58:21 pm
I feel that way about religion.  I can't understand how so many otherwise intelligent people fail to see through religion.  It seems so obviously false to me, yet...

I've bought Prell on Jough's recommendation, but I think it smells like bubblegum.

~Paul
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jough on September 18, 2006, 12:20:28 am
Hey, I never recommended it.  I just said it's like dish detergent and always leaves my hair clean.  I get compliments on my hair from people.  Girls like to touch it.  Men wish they had my hair.  Small boys feel fear when they look at it.  Dogs and rabbits run away from it.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: pmcd9 on September 18, 2006, 05:14:51 am
Getting my hair clean is the principal reason I shampoo it so if you say it gets your hair clean, that sounds like a recommendation to me.

I didn't say that bubblegum was a bad thing for your hair to smell like.

~Paul
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jough on September 18, 2006, 06:02:29 am
My hair smells like the styling mousse that I put in it after I get it clean, which is to say, like alcohol and something fruity. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: V-Adore on September 18, 2006, 05:28:58 pm
My hair smells like the styling mousse that I put in it after I get it clean, which is to say, like alcohol and something fruity. 

I'd like you to know that I now picture you using Peppermint Honcho(tm) brand styling products -- "For When Your Hair Needs To Smell Like A Coconut Rum Drink."
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Doc on September 18, 2006, 10:59:26 pm
Thanks for that V, I was trying to come up with a similar crack but just couldn't do it without involving Jough being served at a gay bar with a little umbrella and that seemed to be going too far.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on October 06, 2006, 07:28:38 am
Okay, going back to the washing hair debate.

Now that my hair is shoulder-length, I have realized that washing my hair every day has an extra bonus: Avoiding Tangling.

When I was younger, having tangly hair was the bane of my existence. I'm Sicilian and Irish, and I have the misfortune of having hair that is different textures. My Irish heritage gave me some hair that is sleek and straight. The Sicilian hair that I have is coarse, wavy, and thick. Also, my hair and skin gets really dry because of medication that I take and a thyroid condition. My hair used to get tangled and then break, and then I had to deal with obnoxious split ends. Actually, it wouldn't just get tangled, it would spitefully roll into knots so terrible that I would end up ripping out clumps of hair and cry as I brushed my dry, dull, frizzy, nizzasty hair. Then I would be jealous of girls who had nice hair.

My goal is shiny, conditioned, and no tangles. I am a total sucker for hair products and I probably spend far too much on them. I am sure that I have mentioned the actual products that I use (Aveda Black Malva Shampoo/Conditioner, Garnier Sleek/Shine Shampoo/Conditioner, Ojon Restorative Treatment, Ojon Conditioning Shine Serum, and Aveda Self-Control finishing wax) so I won't go into detail here other than to say that I've found my favorite combination. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jough on October 06, 2006, 03:21:54 pm
Doc, what the hell is it with you and imagining me in a gay bar?

Is there something you want to tell us?

It... OKAY.  This is a safe place...
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: slink on October 06, 2006, 03:33:02 pm
Okay, going back to the washing hair debate.

I have finally found the solution to my hair debacle. It's very much gotten to a length again where it being frizzy was just, a total nightmare. That said, I have recently discovered the wonder that is shea butter. I had this handwash made form it that smells like heaven, and was thoroughly taken by that. A friend then got me this shampoo with it in that again, kinda smells of heaven (she's now determined to steal it I think).
An internets search brought it up as a recommendation amidst all the mayo/egg/olive oil ones (which I've never dared try), and indeed, the tiniest bit massaged into my hair after I wash it and it's totally frizzless and manageable, without making my hair look at all oily. And, I no longer have to use gel or anything, which I always hated. It's really cheap as well, as it's just pure shea butter direct from a soap-maker's.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on October 06, 2006, 04:30:55 pm
Let me just say first off that I can't believe i spent half an hour reading this whole thread while my kid ate lunch and threw cheese-filled Ritz Bitz all over the kitchen. 

Second, the product Thee mentioned about seven pages back called Wen (http://www.chazdeanstudio.com/) is awesome.  With a crazy wild toddler I just don't get the chance to shower daily, unless I take him in the shower with me, which can be a fun game but isn't always efficient.  Then again, I don't necessarily leave the house every day, either.  So I make a point of showering at least every other day and I get a nice long hot bath every Saturday night.  I use this Wen stuff every day, even if I've showered, because it replaces conditioner and gel, and makes my hair shiny.  Plus it smells nice.  I got the sweet almond mint kind. 

I don't blow-dry or use a lot of product because I have a great stylist.  Basically I go in and she makes me pretty.  I have not told her how to cut my hair since the first time I went in.  She just puts her hands on my hair and can tell what will work and what won't.  I've been going to her for four years and I always get compliments.  She knows that I like no-fuss hair so she sticks with styles that work with my hair texture (super-thick and wavy), not against it. 

Finally, Pedro has shaved his head twice and he pulls it off pretty well since he's got a big round Charlie Brown head.  It's kind of sexy for a while but I like him best with regular hair and a goatee. 

Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on October 06, 2006, 08:25:16 pm
That Wen guy's website is the weirdest looking site I have ever seen. What's with all the weird typefaces? (http://www.chazdean.com/wenusage.html)  But the products sound so delicious that I am kind of tempted.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Doc on October 07, 2006, 01:21:41 am
Doc, what the hell is it with you and imagining me in a gay bar?

Is there something you want to tell us?

It... OKAY.  This is a safe place...

There is some rule in my head that if you smell like coconut rum you should be served in a gay bar, or on a beach in the caribbean. Not saying you should be served to me but if one thing led to another...

Actually my experience of gay bars doesn't live up to this stereotype. There is only one prominent gay club in brisbane (not much of a party town) which I frequent often because of cheap drinks (and good floor shows at midnight) and I haven't seen someone drink a coconut rum drink with an umbrella once, why can't people live up to their stereotypes damnit!

I just had an idea for a new drink, I hope I remember it when I wake up.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on October 07, 2006, 03:14:25 am
That Wen guy's website is the weirdest looking site I have ever seen. What's with all the weird typefaces? (http://www.chazdean.com/wenusage.html)  But the products sound so delicious that I am kind of tempted.

Yeah, he appears to be a strange, sad man.  "That was WEN (R) I decided..." 

I buys my smelly hair goops on the tee vee. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on October 07, 2006, 06:56:26 am
Yeah, he appears to be a strange, sad man.  "That was WEN (R) I decided..." 

I buys my smelly hair goops on the tee vee. 

OOOH! I love trying new stuff. I might have to buy some of that. I am tempted to get the Fig scent because I have dry, curly hair. JL, you say that the sweet almond mint is good? I am not a fan of almond, so I might have to get a different kind... does it have a strong almond scent? Hmm. I can't decide.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on October 07, 2006, 03:46:12 pm
OK, maybe I am crazy, but I just spent almost 40 dollars (including shipping) for 16 oz of that almond Wen stuff.  I mean, if it works, think of all the time I will save reading shampoo labels trying to avoid that sodium laurel stuff that makes my scalp itchy, right?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on October 07, 2006, 03:51:33 pm
Please report back to us if it works for you.  I have psoriasis on one part of my scalp and oily everywhere else, so I seriously want to know if the stuff works.  I'm so skeptical that it will actually clean your hair.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on October 09, 2006, 02:23:55 pm
does it have a strong almond scent?

No.  The mint has the stronger personality.  The almond just sort of keeps the mint from being overwhelming, from feeling like you doused your head in Scope. 

I should add that I have only used their styling creme, which is awesome.  I haven't used their non-shampoo.  My mother bought the stuff for me off QVC (she's addicted to that network) and she only bought me the styling stuff.  I didn't realize until I actually looked at the label after my last post.  So I guess every second day I'm just dirty. 

I think I might order some of that dry shampoo, though, if Wommie likes it. 

You could order the "Travel set" which includes a six-ounce bottle of each of the four flavours to see which works best and which scent you like.  It's $45.  Apparently you can buy this stuff by the gallon, too, which terrifies me because although I have use it every day since February, my 16 ounce bottle of styling creme is still more than half full.  (Maybe the cleansing conditioner gets used up faster, and I do have short hair, but this seems to justify the exorbitant price.) 

I'd suggest, though, that you make any purchases from QVC.com.  They have an "introductory price" deal, so you can save a couple of bucks.  (Sorry, wommie, I just saw it today.) 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on October 09, 2006, 07:42:50 pm
That's OK, I have never bought something off the TV, even the TV station's website, and maybe it would be better not to start down that slippery slope.

I will definitely report back.  I don't know when it will arrive but it certainly ought to be soon considering what they charged for shipping.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2006, 03:35:27 am
PS. I failed to mention earlier that before I discovered Wen I used Tigi Bed Head After-Party to smooth my daily frizz, and it works very nearly as well as Wen's styling creme for about 1/3 the price, plus you can get it at Target. 

Plus the container (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=83553&catid=32542&brand=12690&trx=PLST-0-BRAND&trxp1=32542&trxp2=83553&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND&cmbProdBrandFilter=12690) looks like a vibrator. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2006, 03:38:32 am
I don't know how long it's going to last, and I sure as hell don't want to jinx it, but damn it sure is nice to have you back posting on a regular basis JL!
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Doc on October 10, 2006, 05:10:08 am
That really does look like a vibrator doesn't it? The bright pinkness just adds to it, it's like they were trying.
Odd.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on October 10, 2006, 05:26:07 am
That really does look like a vibrator doesn't it? The bright pinkness just adds to it, it's like they were trying.
Odd.

That is really weird! Plus they market it as "The Perfect Party Favor". Too many euphemisms for me to handle, man. It's a ***** toy and a hair product all at the same time!
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2006, 07:09:12 am
Plus the container (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=83553&catid=32542&brand=12690&trx=PLST-0-BRAND&trxp1=32542&trxp2=83553&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND&cmbProdBrandFilter=12690) looks like a vibrator. 

Yeah, see, I was recently eying up this very product in a busy salon, and behind me was what appeared to be a tired looking Chinese family clearly waiting to get their three fussy and hyper kids' hair cut.  I was holding this very product when the father said something to the mother that made both of them laugh, and I instantly felt dirty, then I looked at them, and they were looking at me holding it, and stopped laughing and looked quickly away when I turned.  I sort of thought I had an overly active imagination to think what I thought had happend had... really happened, but clearly I'm not the only one who thinks the bottle looks a little reminiscent of a sex toy.  Infact, all Bed Head products look like futuristic versions of things they are not.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2006, 12:48:19 pm
That is really weird! Plus they market it as "The Perfect Party Favor". Too many euphemisms for me to handle, man. It's a ***** toy and a hair product all at the same time!

From the makers of Shimmer floor wax/dessert topping.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2006, 12:54:07 pm
Oddly, this hair product looks more like a sex toy than my new sex toy (http://www.rabbitvibrators.com/images/Sally-Seal-Vibrator.jpg). 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Doc on October 10, 2006, 01:05:27 pm
Oddly, this hair product looks more like a sex toy than my new sex toy (http://www.rabbitvibrators.com/images/Sally-Seal-Vibrator.jpg). 

Too much information or not enough....

Dare I ask whether seal noises are involved?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2006, 01:13:16 pm
Oh!  Cute!
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2006, 01:18:06 pm
Too much information or not enough....

Dare I ask whether seal noises are involved?

Jeez, I've been gone waaaay too long if there's a TMI factor on this board. 

As to the seal noises, I guess that depends on who's playing.  They're not intrinsic to the toy, if that's what you're asking...
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jough on October 10, 2006, 01:26:35 pm
JL, I find it disturbing that you get off with something that looks like a child's toy.

Disturbing in just the right way... ;)
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: slink on October 10, 2006, 01:40:56 pm
As to the seal noises, I guess that depends on who's playing.

Lord, god, I think I would have to break up with someone their orgasm noises were anything remotely like a seal. I'm certainly not one of those people who thinks you have to keep a straight face during sex, but laughing at one's partner isn't necessarily a good thing.

That said, I've never heard a seal cum...
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2006, 01:46:36 pm
All right, have it your way. (https://www.thurberhouse.org/store/images/30_l.jpg)
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Doc on October 10, 2006, 01:51:27 pm
Don't worry JL I was always leaning towards not enough, you're just new to me so I wanted to leave myself an out.
Of course now I figure you do make seal noises.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2006, 02:17:59 pm
Actually, I usually just scream "BONE BONE BONE" thorugh the whole thing. 

And afterwards I say, "More like, you're welcome!" 

I swear I didn't mean to hijack this thread with my vibrator-picture-posting.  Do we need a seal sex noises thread? 

Holy moses do I ever hope not. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2006, 03:20:41 pm
Giraffe placenta just found a new best friend: seal sex noises.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2006, 03:23:54 pm
:: hangs head in shame ::
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jough on October 10, 2006, 03:28:13 pm
So glad to have you back, JL  :-\
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2006, 04:13:49 pm
I think what throws me off about that most is that I associate candy-pinkness of that tone with more... anatomically correct sex toys? Vibrators shaped like cartoon animals should be, like, bright lavender, in my opinion.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Drygioni on October 10, 2006, 04:46:02 pm
JL, if I was your bairn I'd be one proud son. If only all kids could have a mother who has done a Show and Tell on her seal-emblazoned vibrator.

Speaking from a professional point of view, is the seal's position along the phallus adjustable for women of all shapes and sizes?

Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on October 10, 2006, 07:22:43 pm
Judy... you want your mom to show you her sex toys?

...hell of oedipal.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2006, 09:50:28 pm
I think what throws me off about that most is that I associate candy-pinkness of that tone with more... anatomically correct sex toys? Vibrators shaped like cartoon animals should be, like, bright lavender, in my opinion.

I agree.  I was seriously disappointed that they were out of the turquoise variety. 

Speaking from a professional point of view, is the seal's position along the phallus adjustable for women of all shapes and sizes?

No.  But the tail does gyrate.  It has a separate control from the nose-vibration function.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on October 13, 2006, 06:03:17 pm
::Grabs thread with both hands, yanks it back on topic::

Wombat, did you recieve your hair product yet?  Does it work? 

We're dying to know.  I'm half tempted to go ahead and place an order now, but I promised myself I'd wait for your review. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on October 13, 2006, 07:23:40 pm
I just got it - I have only used it a couple of times, so I am still thinking about it.  It's weird to wash your hair with something that doesn't lather - I think it takes longer (even if you don't follow their absurdly complicated instructions) because it's harder to be sure you've got it spread out everywhere.  It certainly does clean my hair - I was actually a little dubious about that - and it does not make my head itchy.

But does it make my hair astonishingly more beautiful?  Not immediately.  It is not a magical effect that has instantly changed my life or anything.

Still, I think I have to use it longer to decide if it is worth using anyway.  I mean, there are so many different varibles that go into whether any given day is a good or bad hair day.  And I have to figure out whether to also use it as a 'leave-in conditioner' or not. And I don't like my most recent haircut that much, so... many variables.

It sure smells nice though. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on October 14, 2006, 12:26:52 am
Hm.  So are you supposed to use this stuff in the shower, or does it get smeared it on your dry head, or do you have the option?  Something in your post made it sound like you were using it in the shower, but I'm not sure what.

I have really short hair right now so I imagine it won't be too hard to spread around, even without absurdly complicated instructions.  Does it moisten your hair and help you smush it into a style, or will it make unruly hair simply unruly plus clean?  I imagine (based on my experience with their styling creme) that it works as a "cleanse as you style" type of product but you never know.  Also, what if I have styling products in my hair?  Does it magically remove that too, or is it designed more for dealing with scalp oil and dirt? 

Maybe you should wash half your head with Wen and the other half with your regular shampoo and see how that goes. 

After that, could you do me a favor and rub this makeup into your eyes, and tell me if it stings? 

Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on October 14, 2006, 12:59:04 am

You use it like a shampoo, except it doesn't lather, and then you can put more on and leave it in. The instructions are here:
http://www.chazdean.com/wenusage.html (http://www.chazdean.com/wenusage.html)

I guess they are pretty much just instructions for washing your hair, but they seem awfully nitpicky.

So far I don't think I like the effect of leaving it in - my hair feels soft, but I have very fine hair and it seems like the least bit of anything weighs it down and makes it look limper without having any real effect on the parts that are unruly.  And since I don't spend a lot of time running my fingers through my own hair, I am more concerned with how it looks than how it feels.

I except that really you are supposed to use this stuff to clean and then the stuff that you already have to style.  I mean, if only because why wouldn't they want to sell you two things if they could instead of only selling you one?


Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: AugustWest on October 14, 2006, 04:40:56 am
I think I'm growing hell of ovaries just reading this thread.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2006, 04:51:08 am
August shoots and he scores.

~Paul
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jough on October 14, 2006, 01:05:14 pm
August's ovaries FTW.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on October 14, 2006, 09:40:17 pm
I think I'm growing hell of ovaries just reading this thread.

"Unnngh...." *Pop!* "unnngh...." *Pop!* ..."AWestina want hair product!  AWestina want hair product!  Raagh!"
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: V-Adore on October 14, 2006, 09:43:17 pm
"Unnngh...." *Pop!* "unnngh...." *Pop!* ..."AWestina want hair product!  AWestina want hair product!  Raagh!"

So growing ovaries also makes you turn into the Hulk?

"Don't make me think about hair products. You wouldn't like me when I'm thinking about hair products."
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: CortJstr on October 15, 2006, 01:27:10 am
August's ovaries FTW.

FTW? Fuck The World?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: V-Adore on October 15, 2006, 01:36:50 am
FTW? Fuck The World?

"For the Win," actually. God bless bizarro gameroid slang.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on October 16, 2006, 07:24:21 pm
So growing ovaries also makes you turn into the Hulk?


If I were to suddenly have a pair of testicles spontaneously grow, or an additional pair of ovaries, I imagine the hormonal bath surging through my system would cause me to fly into an animalistic rage... and possibly turn green.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: CortJstr on October 16, 2006, 08:39:50 pm

If I were to suddenly have a pair of testicles spontaneously grow, or an additional pair of ovaries, I imagine the hormonal bath surging through my system would cause me to fly into an animalistic rage... and possibly turn green.


Or maybe just make you incredibly horny.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 18, 2006, 02:44:13 pm

If I were to suddenly have a pair of testicles spontaneously grow, or an additional pair of ovaries, I imagine the hormonal bath surging through my system would cause me to fly into an animalistic rage... and possibly turn green.


Everyone knows an unused bozack turns blue.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on October 26, 2006, 03:40:11 am
Anyway, I just ordered some of the Wen stuff in "Fig". My hair has been looking crappy and dry lately, so maybe changing it up will help. I will post updates when I actually receive the stuff.

I say that because I ordered a 500-gm jar of Marmite on eBay from Jolly Old England on October 5th (heh, I almost wrote "kg"... that would be a heavenly amount of Marmite). Unfortunately it hasn't showed up yet. I hope that my Wen hair stuff doesn't fall in the same black hole.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on October 31, 2006, 09:31:37 pm
Okay, I received the Wen Fig conditioning cleanser yesterday. For the Fig, save your money.

Man, for $37 I would have hoped for a LOT more. I expected a sweet, delicious creme that smelled like ripe figs. Unfortunately...The scent on this stuff is horrifying. Cloying cherry and awful menthol. It's like covering your head in a combination of Bonne Belle Lip Smackers and Vicks Vapo-Rub. Awful.

My hair looks...well, it looks like I ain't washed it in a couple of days. It's dull and definitely not shiny, and it's not anywhere close to detangled.  I guess I'll give it a week 'cos I paid so effing much for it, and I really expected this product to be luxurious and awesome. I'm hella sad about this one! I thought this product would be a shoo-in because Chaz Dean bills it as being perfect for "ethnic" or dry hair. My hair is dry plus it falls into the "ethnic" or coarse/curly category (at least the Sicilian parts of my hair do... the Irish parts are smooth and soft).  Dammit, Chaz. Somebody nice is not happy with this one.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on October 31, 2006, 09:55:41 pm
Man.  Sucks. 

I was really hoping for a miracle product here, especially since I adore Chaz's styling creme. 

Mom says she tried a sulfate-free shampoo one time (Soyagen, I think?) and it didn't lather either, and she didn't like that, plus it left her hair greasy. 

Ah, well.  Back to the drawing board.  Guess I'll stick with Aussie a little while longer. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Drygioni on October 31, 2006, 09:58:20 pm
Guess I'll stick with Aussie a little while longer. 

Do you use the Kangaroo Paw Flower one? It smells fuck*ng heavenly.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on October 31, 2006, 11:17:30 pm
You have to work really hard to wash your hair with that stuff because it doesn't lather.  If I spend a lot of time on it, it looks OK.  But if I don't, I also have the feeling that it looks like I haven't washed my hair lately.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on November 01, 2006, 04:26:36 am
Do you use the Kangaroo Paw Flower one? It smells fuck*ng heavenly.

Most often -- assuming you mean the Dual Personality one, they may make more than one with Kangaroo Paw Flower extract.  I also use their hairspray on such occasions as I find it necessary to spray my hair, because it's the only hairspray I've found that doesn't smell like alcohol.  It's scented with australian thyme. 

Basically, my head smells like a botanic garden when I leave the house. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Va on November 11, 2006, 12:28:59 am
I used to always wash my hair every day because it generally was very oily within 18 hours of being washed.  After doing some reading here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/) I decided to stop washing my hair everyday.  When I stopped washing every day, my scalp oil production adjusted very quickly.  I now wash my hair only about once per week (if that), and I freshen it in each shower with conditioner.  Conditioner has surfactants in it that will gently clean the hair a bit, but they take longer to work, so you need to leave the conditioner on your hair for at least 3 minutes.  Use the cheapest conditioner you like the smell of (V05's Free Me Freesia is my favorite, check your local dollar store).

I find that now that my scalp has adjusted oil production to a more reasonable level, my hair almost never looks greasy, nor smells bad, but it is very shiny, my curls look a whole lot better, and my hair color fades much more slowly.  I'm finding lately that my hair actually looks better the day after I shower than the day of my shower.

I decided to apply this same logic to the skin on the rest of my body, and I stopped using soap in every shower.  The oiliness of my facial skin, which had been very bad, calmed down just like my scalp had, very quickly.  Acne problems on various parts of my body cleared up almost completely.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on November 11, 2006, 12:38:41 am
that's weird, the soap thing worked the opposite way for me. My skin/acne/etc has all gotten much better since I've started being more consistent about using soap. I was corrupted by someone being all "don't use soap all the time! it's better!" before.

but, whatever works for you, I suppose...
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: AugustWest on November 11, 2006, 01:43:03 am
Hey Va!  Nice to see you.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Va on November 11, 2006, 02:35:04 am
Howdy.  I'm pregnant again, due in late February.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: AugustWest on November 11, 2006, 03:21:40 am
Congratulations!
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: V-Adore on November 11, 2006, 04:21:25 am
Congrats! Best wishes to you and yours, and may the new baby be as lovely as Lydia was/is.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on November 21, 2006, 02:29:39 pm
Resurrecting the Wen review:  Today I used it again and followed the directions very carefully.  My hair looks quite nice.  However, I think the conclusion is that this product may really only be appropriate for the celebrity endorsers, who don't have to get to work early in the morning and can justify standing around in the shower for 3-5 minutes to condition their hair.  I don't know about you, but I don't usually have the time.

Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 21, 2006, 11:02:31 pm
I don't know your shower technique, but when I conditioned I washed my hair, put in conditioner, washed my body and then rinsed the conditioner.  I am off to do this now, with out the conditioner part.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on November 21, 2006, 11:22:29 pm
That is of course the rational procedure which I generally follow, but apparently I am not usually so dirty that it takes me 3-5 minutes to wash.  This is a demanding hair product, requiring that you stand around doing nothing and wasting hot water to get its full effect.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on November 22, 2006, 03:31:48 am
Damn, wombat! Even in the Marine Corps you get three minutes to shit, shower, and shave. How in the hell are you in and out of the shower in less than 3-5 minutes? Washing my face, using frilly shower gel with a girly shower puff, and shaving takes at least 3 minutes. I'm a fan of long showers.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on November 22, 2006, 12:21:19 pm
Yeah, but the stuff has to sit on your hair for the whole five minutes, it seems.  Even if I shower for five minutes, you have to subtract the parts where I am washing the hair - slowly because the stuff doesn't lather - and when I am rinsing it, also slowly because it seems hard to tell when it's all gone.

And perhaps this is too much information, but I don't shave at times of year when all the hairy parts are covered up by clothes. I suppose I can save the Wen for the summer, then.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on November 22, 2006, 08:07:53 pm
By the way, I am tickled to know that there is one task in my life that I perform up to Marine Corps standards.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: CortJstr on November 23, 2006, 04:19:00 am
Damn, wombat! Even in the Marine Corps you get three minutes to shit, shower, and shave. How in the hell are you in and out of the shower in less than 3-5 minutes? Washing my face, using frilly shower gel with a girly shower puff, and shaving takes at least 3 minutes. I'm a fan of long showers.

It takes me that long to find my place in the book, let alone actually acomplish anything. And my showers tend to fill the time available. If I wake up 10 minutes earlier, I'll just stand in the shower for an extra 10 minutes trying to get the water to help me wake up. That plus listening to traffice and weather on the 8's.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jough on November 23, 2006, 01:22:54 pm
There's no way you can shit, shower, and shave in under 5 minutes and do all three effectively.

Men in the Marines would be constipated, unclean, and partially shaven, I guess. That doesn't sound right.

Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on November 23, 2006, 04:44:01 pm
I can confirm, my friend in the Air Force had 3 minutes to do all three during basic training.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on November 23, 2006, 05:05:48 pm
Now I understand why they have to have such short haircuts!
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on November 23, 2006, 05:51:22 pm
Now I understand why they have to have such short haircuts!

When my Pa was in basic training at Camp Pendleton and then Vietnam, they also had to tie their socks around their ankles to wash them at the same time as they were showering.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on November 26, 2006, 09:45:19 pm
Aside to Va:

Welcome back, and congrats!  Your avatar pic is adorable, Lyd's grown so much!  I guess P has too, though. 

I think the difference between inev and Va re: the minimal shampoo and soap thing is ten years and a c*ck.  By which I mean, age and gender have a lot to do with your skin, so what works for one isn't likely to work for the other. 

Also, I would like to note that I consider a cool ten minute shower to be "long and luxurious" while Pedro considers the same to be "cruel and unusual punishment."  My dad, who has never been in the military, regularly takes showers that last (literally) ninety seconds, two minutes tops.  I don't know why other than some unknown childhood trauma involving my excessively frugal grandmother and the water bill. 

But, I have passed the point of "checking in" and have entered into the arena of "procrastinating on my homework," so I'd best bid you all adieu. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on December 04, 2006, 03:44:19 pm
Back on topic:

Now my hair is officially down to my shoulders. I have noticed that even using my expensive-ass Aveda Sap Moss (http://www.aveda.com/templates/products/product_search.tmpl?KEYWORDS=sap+moss) shampoo and conditioner, which is supposed to be super-moisturising, has left my hair very dry.

I have moved to a new stage in my hair's life. I am now washing it every other day. On "off" days I wear a headband or some other disguise-atory measure to conceal any perceived unwashedness that I have.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on January 23, 2007, 03:16:55 am
Okay, I got lazy and didn't read all 13 pages. So if I'm repeating suggestions other people have made, deal. ;)

This suggestion from my uber hairdresser best friend who works at the most chi-chi spa in town:

Wash your hair every other day, but give it a good rinse, at least, in the shower. Alternatively, if you can't stand this, wash it every day, but dab some conditioner on the ends before you shampoo. Then shampoo, concentrating on the scalp only. The suds from your scalp as you rinse will rinse out most of the conditioner on the ends. Then condition as usual.

I've found this to work really well for me. Keeps my hair moisturized but not greasy. The hair near the scalp tends to be oilier than the hair at the ends anyway, so essentially what you're doing with the rinse-only option is distributing the oil down the hair shaft; and with option #2, you're sort of balancing it out by greasing up the ends and washing the scalp.

Hope that helps.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on January 23, 2007, 03:35:46 am
ok, just as long as we're on personal hygiene type stuff: how does every day vs. every-other-day washing work for skin? It's hard for me to tell, because I don't know how quickly that effects your skin. IE: I, lately, have been taking a shower every other day. This seems to be making my skin better (I suffer from some acne. luckily not much on my face, but, still.) However, I am not sure whether my current improving skin is the result of constant washing last week, or last month, or what.

Basically, what I'm saying is-- when changing cleaning regimens for skin, how quickly does it take effect? Does what I do today effect me tomorrow, or only a week/month from now?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on January 23, 2007, 04:17:34 am
ok, just as long as we're on personal hygiene type stuff: how does every day vs. every-other-day washing work for skin? It's hard for me to tell, because I don't know how quickly that effects your skin. IE: I, lately, have been taking a shower every other day. This seems to be making my skin better (I suffer from some acne. luckily not much on my face, but, still.) However, I am not sure whether my current improving skin is the result of constant washing last week, or last month, or what.

Basically, what I'm saying is-- when changing cleaning regimens for skin, how quickly does it take effect? Does what I do today effect me tomorrow, or only a week/month from now?

Do whatever works for your skin. If it calms your skin to only wash every other day, then by all means do it. Some people have skin that is sensitive to even such basic stuff as water. Mammals have sebum glands in their skin to help protect it (and our fur/hair/whatever), and constantly washing it strips it away. I remember when I was 13 and plagued with oily skin, and I got a bar of Neutrogena for acne-prone skin and washed my face like... 5 times in one day. I've never felt pain like that in my life. My face hurt SO bad. Kellichou touched my face and I freaked out because it felt like she was grinding sandpaper against my skin. That awful little lesson taught me that you CAN wash your face too much.

and muse, good suggestion. At first I was like, "WTF, quit exaggerating..." and then I looked down and realized that this thread did indeed have thirteen pages.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on January 23, 2007, 01:24:37 pm
Once a dermatologist prescribed a cream for my face and said to put it on twice a day, and I said, "Oh, does that mean you shouldn't wash your face more than twice a day?" and she said "No one knows."

Of course I should also mention that I didn't think she was very bright and I decided that some people go into dermatology because they didn't do very well in medical school and wanted a speciality where they were unlikely to kill someone.  But it seemed to me it was safe to conclude, there is no one official answer to that question that works for everyone.  If there was I think she would have at least known that much.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on January 23, 2007, 08:44:54 pm
Back to the topic of hair styling goop, I found a miracle product that has replaced my beloved Wen styling creme. 

Bed Head Manipulator. 

It's very gooey in your hand, but it adds texture and control to my wavy hair without being stiff.  Sorry I sound like a pantene commercial. 

Has anyone else tried this stuff? 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on January 23, 2007, 09:16:26 pm
I think I would be too embarassed to buy a product with that name.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on January 23, 2007, 09:27:59 pm
Now that my hair is long, my liquid gold product o' choice is this brown paste made from a certain type of palm nut oil (http://www.ojonhaircare.com/products/OJT0001) -- I'm certain I've raved about this stuff in this thread before. It has a smoky, rich, woodsy scent (although some haters have described it as "wet ashtray", I adore it). You melt some in your hands and apply it to dry hair until your hair is saturated. Then you let it sit (mine stays on my hair overnight and I just cover my pillow with a towel), and wash it out the next day. Of course, it is a rich oil and I have thick, unruly Sicilian hair, so I apply a little bit before and after blowdrying. It is SO good. I still have some Aveda Self Control paste left, which I'll continue to use, but I think that my hair needs moisture and not wax. I also got some Ojon Moisturizing Styling Cream that is being shipped to me. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Choop on January 23, 2007, 10:27:21 pm
I want to market an aftershave/scalp lotion called Good Head.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on January 24, 2007, 01:31:59 am
There's already a liquid on the market called Good Head, but it's not an aftershave...

Please don't make me provide a link. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on January 24, 2007, 01:40:04 am
I am afraid to look it up.

...but I'm not really sure what that liquid would be for.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on January 24, 2007, 02:06:19 am
Dammit, people. 

http://www.babeland.com/page/TIB/PROD/under-30/09910 (http://www.babeland.com/page/TIB/PROD/under-30/09910)

Click at your own risk. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on January 24, 2007, 02:39:42 am
Oh Internet, why does every topic end up being about sex?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on January 24, 2007, 02:50:45 am
Oh Internet, why does every topic end up being about sex?

Did you have this problem while I was away?  Because to hear Jough tell it (via iChat), it's just me. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on January 24, 2007, 02:59:22 am
I would say he's pulling your leg, although you may be the only one who has more than once linked to the sort of things sold by Babeland.

Also, did you read the ingredient list on that product? Yuck. I'd expect it to be made of stuff that sounded more edible.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on January 24, 2007, 03:00:59 am
Babeland is the place I go to look for such things because they are classy. 

Classy in the way that you expect when you know that it is owned by two very butch lesbians. 

I never have to worry about being confronted with a picture of...something...unsavory. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on January 24, 2007, 03:03:42 am
egh, i was expecting it to be more exciting than that.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on January 24, 2007, 05:47:10 am
I guess that on the internet it all comes down to sex or death. Weird.

DAMMIT! THIS THREAD IS ABOUT HAIR-WASHING! NOT WEIRD FLAVOURED GEL FOR SEXUAL PURPOSES!

*twitch*
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 24, 2007, 07:02:49 am
Quote from: linnea
THIS THREAD IS ABOUT HAIR-WASHING! NOT WEIRD FLAVOURED GEL FOR SEXUAL PURPOSES!

Be careful what you wish for. Soon will come the time that someone shows up who is into hair-washing FOR sexual purposes.

All fetish like. All watchin' Herbal Essences ads instead of normal porn. All crackin' open new Prell to get in the mood.

Just be thankful that said person isn't me, a-cuz I'd get all verbose and unruly about it.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: AugustWest on January 24, 2007, 02:33:14 pm
All watchin' Herbal Essences ads instead of normal porn.

Say.  Those are pretty hawt.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on January 24, 2007, 04:28:05 pm
Choop started it.

Anyway, the point is, has anyone else tried Manipulator?  I like that I can put it on my hair when it's wet, sleep on it, and then in the morning, all I have to do is spritz my head with water and fluff it a little to fix the bed hair. 

I don't like that the stuff appears, in the jar, to be composed primarily of radioactive material.  Seriously, that shade of teal doesn't occur in nature. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Choop on January 24, 2007, 05:38:12 pm
Damn. Didn't know the name was taken.

It figures, though. A hair salon I go to was about to change its name. I nominated "Trim." They found a salon in NYC or LA named that, so they didn't go for it.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 24, 2007, 05:44:23 pm
Quote from: Choopernickel
Damn. Didn't know the name was taken.

In one of the many scripts in the back of my mind that I'll probably never get to, a satire about a forbidden straight romance at an all-gay magnet high school, I would definitely want the female lead's father (to be played by John Waters, natch) to own a vintage clothing store named "Buy Curious" but... I am sure that by the time I got around to writing it, I would find a store actually named that and get all depressed and... never write the story based purely on the loss of that one throwaway gag.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on January 30, 2007, 02:04:05 am
<-- has used Manipulator. Fears it.

It just seems so... unnatural. Which I suppose is part of the point of hair product. But most products at least bear a passing resemblance to things in nature, like aloe vera gel...or butter. But the Manipulator is this sort of uber goo. I think I read up on the ingredients and found it to be essentially glue. But maybe that was all a dream.

These days I just wash it, get it out of my eyes, and let it do its thing. I miss the hair I had before I got older and it got all wack and kinky. And not in the fun way.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: AugustWest on January 30, 2007, 04:11:22 am
I'm letting my hair grow longer these days.  I'm cutting it to 1/2 inch instead of 1/4.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on January 30, 2007, 05:21:21 am
I'm letting my hair grow longer these days.  I'm cutting it to 1/2 inch instead of 1/4.

YOU GOD DAMNED HIPPY!
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on February 07, 2007, 02:32:06 pm
I have decided to grow my hair out.  Usually this decision lasts about two months.  The last time I got a hair cut was early November, so I'm a month up on the norm, but I did get it cut super short last time.
 
I got so mad at it the other day.  I hate that inbetween stage when it's clearly not a style, and pieces of it stick out and others lay flat in the most unflattering way.  I swear my hair looked like Beethovan yesterday, and that was after I'd invested some serious time working on making it not look like a mullet.  It's either Beethovan or a mullet, or todays look - the hair clip/messy look.  I was thinking of going in for a shape-up type trim, but usually when I get to that point, I end up changing my mind and getting it all cut off again.  What I am saying is I have no hair growing will power.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jaydub on February 07, 2007, 04:47:24 pm
Maybe get into hats for a few months?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on February 07, 2007, 09:41:07 pm
side_show-- you have described the state of my facial hair.
It seems to take a really long time to get to the point where it looks like A Beard, rather than "that kid hasn't shaved in a while."
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on February 07, 2007, 09:41:34 pm
You must get your haircut nicely when you are growing it out. It took me a long time to learn this, because it seemed so counterproductive to cut my hair when I wanted it longer. But if you feel like you look horrible for the long time it takes to grow it you will never stick with it.

I would like someone else to benefit from this lesson because I have sworn I will never grow my hair long again. Although then you might wonder why I have kept all those fancy barrettes and things instead of finding them a good home.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on February 08, 2007, 03:05:00 am
I have decided to grow my hair out.  Usually this decision lasts about two months.  The last time I got a hair cut was early November, so I'm a month up on the norm, but I did get it cut super short last time.
 
I got so mad at it the other day.  I hate that inbetween stage when it's clearly not a style, and pieces of it stick out and others lay flat in the most unflattering way.  I swear my hair looked like Beethovan yesterday, and that was after I'd invested some serious time working on making it not look like a mullet.  It's either Beethovan or a mullet, or todays look - the hair clip/messy look.  I was thinking of going in for a shape-up type trim, but usually when I get to that point, I end up changing my mind and getting it all cut off again.  What I am saying is I have no hair growing will power.

I agree with omba, trims are important and so are PRODUCTS. They will change how you feel about your hair. Anway, i'm a little wasted because kellichou sent me a 1-litre bottle of Appleton V/X rum...goddamn, that stuff is delicious. It's like liquid candy.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Bjorn the Destroyer on February 08, 2007, 05:20:08 am
I'm party to the "shampoo every day, conditioner maybe twice a week, plus 'Color Silk' oil before brushing". It keeps my tresses vibrant.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Choop on February 08, 2007, 05:22:16 am
I can't wash my hair every day, it dries out and my dandruff flames up, even using dandruff shampoo.

I don't like adding products to my hair, but i have to condition it lately because it's so long it collects static if static looks at it.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Nabubrush on March 05, 2007, 03:08:25 am
I wash my hair every day at work, since I'm around other people and their delicate sensibilities. When I'm home, I basically wash up once every three days or so. However, I do was my face every day, because you just kinda have to do that or you will have problems. It's kind of a little corner of Europe at the Nabu household.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Teatime on March 15, 2007, 06:18:17 am
Oh man this trimming/products thing seems so obvious now that it has been read, but I've always tried to grow my hair out, grown agitated, then cropped it short. This is a Bad Call because I am sure I look better with sort-of-bangs.

No longer.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on March 15, 2007, 01:37:43 pm
I've still not trimmed my hair.  It's beyond Beethovan length and is now in the parts-lay-flat/parts-stick-up stage.  It's really ugly.  If I don't wash and style it daily it looks extremely stupid.  I've been thinking that I should let it grow until the top is long enough to be turned into a mop-top shag-style with a wedge cut in the back.  That sort of a cut will lend itself better to growing out further.  Right now it's sort of pre-mullet, once it gets intolerably close to mullitude, it'll be time for a clean up.  I'm in hyper-ultra money saving mode right now, so I'm waiting until the point where I can tolerate no more.  Feeling ugly most days is really not good though. Also I have a small forehead, so bangs are not my friend - with my short "boy" cut this wasn't an issue because it was too short to do anything but stick strait up from my head.  Now that it's longer, I keep the front chunk clipped off the face.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Nabubrush on March 15, 2007, 01:50:36 pm
It's kind of hard to look at your avatar and imagine you look anything short of adorable at all times. But that might just be me.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: slink on March 15, 2007, 02:25:14 pm
It's kind of hard to look at your avatar and imagine you look anything short of adorable at all times. But that might just be me.

Seconded, though add a handful of vaguely startled.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Golfhaus on March 15, 2007, 02:53:26 pm
My hair right now is ridiculous. It's about a month past needs-to-be-cut. I'm tucking hair behind my ears to get it out of the way. It never looks like it's been combed because it's naturally curly, and as soon as it dries it starts to do its own thing. I have a place I go to in Virginia, but of course I've been in Charlotte the last three weeks - work has kept me from going back. I'm so looking forward to dropping a pound or so of hair - and at just the right time, now that it's warming up.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: slink on March 15, 2007, 04:12:52 pm
I'm past the point of it needing cutting as well, although I kind of told myself I was going to grow it out again (which I had done to shoulder length before cutting it post christmas). That said, I have given up being the last bastion of hope and pride in my family... I have grown a beard. I got bored of shaving somewhere in January, and have since decided it wasn't worth all the trouble to remain the only naked chinned male member of my family. Thing is, with beard I probably look better and that tiny bit more respectable with shorter hair, I just miss having hair I can hide behind, even in my less mysanthropic old age (which, strangely has me complaining about people more, just in a more grown up and despairing manner).
Also, I am tempted to grow my beard out dwarf-core style for a world music festival I am attending this summer, just so as to fit in.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on March 15, 2007, 04:27:21 pm
So slink, do you shampoo your beard?  Face hair is facinating to me.  If I were a man, I'd grow a tiny, comical mustache with the ends long and tightly curled - a mini-Paul.  As a woman, anything that doesn't belong on my face gets yanked out.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jaydub on March 15, 2007, 04:32:19 pm
I like having facial hair, and would prefer not to shave so much - but if you can think of a combination of Mel Gibson's and Saddam Hussein's beards, that's what mine looks like.  Furiously wild and with sharply contrasting gray and dark brown.  It also makes my head look even more enormous.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Nabubrush on March 15, 2007, 04:46:09 pm
My facial hair, in its full luxuriant glory, looks roughly like Prince's.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: slink on March 15, 2007, 04:51:08 pm
My facial hair, in its full luxuriant glory, looks roughly like Prince's.

Like Prince's what? Ah, I jest...

Indeed, Smells, I plan to try some alternate beardage at some point, though am on mustache and goatee at the moment. I always planned, despite wanting to stay bare faced, to try a Zappa beard at some point, but have kind of skipped right past it. As for shampooing, indeed I do mostly, slather a little shea butter shampoo on it in the hopes of making it slightly less bristly, or at least minimally so, though I'm at least safe in the knowledge that I can eat without causing beard atrocities. That was another reason I always wanted to avoid them... Curse those beard atrocities!
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Teatime on March 15, 2007, 05:54:53 pm
Sometimes I wish that a Clark Gable moustache still caused the ladies to fawn hopelessly over a man, as it the only sort of facial hair I can pull off. As is, I am exclusively stubbly or clean-shaven.

For people with curly hair, does this ever irritate you? I've always wished my hair curled somewhat.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 15, 2007, 06:48:26 pm
I have curly hair, but not really in a good way, I guess.  I mean, I like it, but I can really only pull off two (Actually three):  Buzz Cut, Jew Fro and the butch Lesbian style that happens in the middle of those two.  Also, I rip out my hair, so the fro turns into a really curly mullet, which is when I shave it.  It was been a really good schedule recently, with me shaving it around St. Patricks day the last two years.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: V-Adore on March 15, 2007, 07:25:15 pm
My hair is also a couple months past needs-to-be-cut, and I'm not sure what to do with it. My current plan is to get an appointment at a salon I've been informed of via the Old-Lady Network around here and just tell the stylist to do anything; after all, they filmed Steel Magnolias, the greatest hairdressing movie ever, here. What could go wrong?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on March 15, 2007, 07:39:23 pm
my plan is similar. "hey man, I have been buzzing it for like 6 months. Now it is getting long, and I just want a trim... make it look OK, please."
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Sub_Topical on March 15, 2007, 08:00:35 pm
I guess this is the time and place to share that I've had the same haircut since I went to a real barber at age 7. Short all around with just enough left on top to part it over to the left. I'ma about 6 weeks overdue for a trim up and when I go to the clip joint the old dudes will get pissed when I say 'Gimme a Hitler Youth'. So I won't.

But I'll think it real friggin' loud.

This has been the way I've thought of my hair ever since high school when I was hanging out at school the day after a shearing and a buddy rolled up and announced "Damn, sticking with the Hitler Youth look, 'eh!".

Talk about things that follow you...
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jaydub on March 15, 2007, 09:06:46 pm
I go with a haircut that most people call "Marine Whitewalls", that I then let grow out until my head starts looking too enormous.  Usually this means about 4 months, which appears to be the length of time required for a stylist to forget who you are.  Every time I go in, the conversation runs something like:

S: What would you like?
Me: Clipper cut around the edges, with a 0 guard. Finger length across the top with shears.
S: A 0?  Are you sure?  That's very short.
Me: Yes.  I get it every time.
S: Has it been a long time since you got it cut?
Me: About 4 months
S: Really?  Your hair must grow really fast.

It's almost like a Monty python skit to me now, in how often I've heard it.  Less funny though.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 15, 2007, 10:08:17 pm
My hair is now obscenely long because someone bet me that if I did nothing but wash it over the Christmas break it'd go into dreadlocks. I tried to dissuade them from throwing their money away, but it failed. I could've had it cut since, but it's so much cheaper at home that I just can't bring myself to do it.

Also it makes me feel like a noble lion.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 15, 2007, 11:22:41 pm
Also it makes me feel like a noble lion.

Hell of such as meow.

Edited to actually provide the link, which I went and dug out.  Good times.  Be sure to read the next four or five as well.
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12202004
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: V-Adore on March 16, 2007, 06:57:53 am
Hell of such as meow.

Edited to actually provide the link, which I went and dug out.  Good times.  Be sure to read the next four or five as well.
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12202004

Cornelius... dogg... We got maaaaaaaanes...
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Nabubrush on March 16, 2007, 01:48:07 pm
That was a great arc.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: slink on March 16, 2007, 01:52:59 pm
That was a great arc.

Damn straight, one I'd completely forgotten about too.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on April 07, 2007, 01:43:17 am
Ugh, I think I need to get my thyroid tested again because a lot of my hair is falling out. Well, not like clumps, but I notice that I'm losing a lot of it and it's worrisome.

Also, my hair is getting wretchedly dry, even though I only wash it every other day. I'm using that expensive-ass Ojon deep conditioning twice or three times a week, plus I use a small amount of my blow-dried hair, plus I use a moisturising shampoo (Aveda Sap Moss), the Ultra Hydrating Ojon conditioner, Oscar Blandi Jamine hair serum, Aveda hair wax, Moisturizing Ojon Styling Cream, and Ojon Glossing Mist.

That's a crapload of products. I shouldn't have to be using that much, but I want long hair, dammit!

Hmm. Some of the thyroid symptoms are shown in: dry hair, dry skin, hair falling out, depression. Hmmmmmm.  I just got bloodwork done like 6 months ago, but maybe I should ask the clinic about it again. :(
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: slink on April 07, 2007, 02:47:05 am
That's a crapload of products. I shouldn't have to be using that much, but I want long hair, dammit!

I swear, all you need to use is shea butter. The stuff is god's own moisturiser. It's the only thing that has even remotely helped my hair, which is too damn frizzy to behave, and naturally curly. A tiny bit of shea butter and it just makes it like normal (nay, good) hair.
That and it's a brilliant moisturiser for anything else, chapped lips and the like.

Geeez, could I be gayer?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Doc on April 07, 2007, 06:05:01 am
Geeez, could I be gayer?
Well you could like dudes.
I can't remember you mentioning that previously but I could be wrong.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: slink on April 07, 2007, 10:07:12 am
Well you could like dudes.
I can't remember you mentioning that previously but I could be wrong.

Dudes are cool, unless you're thinking that way...
Can't say I was trying the great message board outing.

Now, good hair on the other hand!
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Doc on April 07, 2007, 10:17:13 am
Just trying to help, when someone stands up and wants to be gayer than they already are I'm the man with the ideas to make it happen.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: slink on April 07, 2007, 07:00:04 pm
Just trying to help, when someone stands up and wants to be gayer than they already are I'm the man with the ideas to make it happen.

Oh hey, if you can come up with a way to make me gayer... Other than watching Robin Williams trash The Birdcage. (That said, as I young'un I use to rather love Torchsong Trilogy and Tales of the City, maybe my mother was trying to make me gay...)

My friend kept calling me 'GAY' in an amusing voice, after I kept talking about cooking, gardening, cleaning, hair... She had decided it really was the thing to say. Then I made some comment about wanting a new car, and how if I got rich I'd probably have to buy a few. She was confused as to why, and when I told her I could take them to open track days and race and such she was all, 'GA... wait... STRAIGHT', and decided she had found her new insult for me.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on April 07, 2007, 07:12:57 pm
I swear, all you need to use is shea butter. The stuff is god's own moisturiser. It's the only thing that has even remotely helped my hair, which is too damn frizzy to behave, and naturally curly. A tiny bit of shea butter and it just makes it like normal (nay, good) hair.
That and it's a brilliant moisturiser for anything else, chapped lips and the like.

Geeez, could I be gayer?

I love shea butter. It is extremely awesome. For some reason, though, it makes my hair tangly. I use shea butter everywhere else, though. It's awesome.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: pmcd9 on April 07, 2007, 09:59:36 pm
Shea Butter is gonna be my porn name.  I am God's own moisturizer.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: kellichou on April 15, 2007, 09:20:22 pm
RE:  losing hair in the shower

Ok, so I was mega-stressed over, say, the past YEAR about excessive hair loss.  Full disclosure:  I am a first-year teacher.  A thyroid test showed complete normalcy.  My doctor was a jerk and just snapped, "it's stress, you can't do anything about it."

Enter my goddess-like hairdresser.  She asked me at my last haircut, "do you lose a lot of hair in the shower?"  I said, "Hell yes!  I lose giant fistfuls, and my doctor blew me off when I asked her about it!  What can I do?"

She replied sagely, "Your scalp was ridiculously stiff when I washed your hair just now.  I couldn't even MOVE it, and your scalp is supposed to have a certain amount of give, so it slides around.  Massage your scalp every night, to loosen up those muscles until your scalp slides around a little, like it's supposed to.  Better yet, get your boyfriend to massage your scalp FOR YOU."

But seriously.  Before I get in the shower and at random times throughout the day, I'll massage my scalp with the pads of my fingers.  And LET ME TELL YOU, I lose pre-teaching levels of hair in the shower now (that is, HARDLY ANY TO SPEAK OF).  Victory is MINE.  Thank you, Ms. Goddess Hairdresser!  Now I just need to get my boyfriend to give me scalp massages.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Beatrice on August 28, 2007, 04:33:54 am
indeed. all the best things for your hair your body already makes.  if you're eating well those oils will be available, and working them out of your scalp and getting that skin and such loose and lubricated will do wonders. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Nabubrush on August 28, 2007, 04:55:21 pm
It's Beatrice!

(I always think of Frank Zappa when you post.)
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: linnea on August 29, 2007, 12:10:03 am
One of my favored girly pasttimes is obviously thinking about my hair. I love to buy the hairstyle magazines and peruse them. I will clip out hairstyles that I like. Bea, your avatar is small so I can't really see your face, but your hair and face look familiar. Did your photo get shipped off to one of those maggies by your hairdresser? Or did you clip something out of Sophisticate's Hairstyle like I do?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Nabubrush on August 29, 2007, 01:46:42 am
Beatrice, don't you owe us posting of that picture in a larger size in the picture thread?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on August 29, 2007, 01:13:06 pm
One of my favorite non-girly save-times is to not think about my hair.  It is thick, wavy, and full, and it's impossible to deal with.  (When I had my hair braided, the Gambian woman who did it said, "Where you get dis hair?  I tink you black on de inside.")  I've been going to a stylist for seven years who expects nothing of me.  I walk in, sit down, and she makes me pretty.  She is aware that if she cuts my hair such that I have to blow-dry, tease, straighten, or otherwise mess with it, I will not do these things and instead walk around looking like a recent graduate of clown college.  So she takes care to give me styles that work with my hair type, and which require little more daily preparation than a shower (or a brief moistening), a little product, and a quick finger-comb. 

Unfortunately, she has moved her business into her home -- understandably so, since she has a little boy who is almost one -- and for the last year I have been driving thirty minutes each way to pay $40 for a haircut.  Now, $40 might not sound like much for a haircut, but to me that's quite a bit for what basically amounts to a "guy haircut."  And my son is mortally terrified of the hair dryer, so I can't take him with me.  I have to find babysitting for an hour and a half in order to drive there, get cut, and come back.  I'm just not going to be able to do that with two kids.  I'm going to miss her, but I've finally decided I need to let her go. 

I have an appointment today with someone at my mom's salon for $10 less that is 5 minutes from my house.  I have no idea what I'm going to tell this person to do with my hair.  I'm not used to having to make these kinds of decisions.  Because of my hair's texture, a lot of things that would look really cute are simply outside the realm of possibility for me -- even if I were willing to straighten and blow-dry every day, I'll never have fine enough hair to pull off a bob or anything like that.  I do have to my advantage the fact that my hair is really healthy -- I dyed it earlier this year with semipermanent dye but that's mostly grown/washed out now, and not heat-treating or over-washing helps keep it moist and strong.  But I know so little about hair (and even less about fashion) that I don't know how to explain to a new stylist (a) what I am and am not willing to do to my head in a 24-hour period and (b) what I like to look like when I leave the house. 

Any suggestions, oh ye goddesses (and gods) of super hair? 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: theinevitable on August 29, 2007, 02:11:32 pm
BOY-CUT!
BOY-CUT!
BOY-CUT!

(but seriously, most people don't go for this, don't. probably.)
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on August 29, 2007, 02:21:01 pm
I'm thinking of something like this (http://www.hairstylesdesign.com/gallery/fiche.php?id=75), but apparently this hairstyle requires the wearer to become unbelievably pallid and squint under several layers of mascara. 

I don't know if I'm down with that. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on August 29, 2007, 03:16:08 pm
I'm thinking of something like this (http://www.hairstylesdesign.com/gallery/fiche.php?id=75), but apparently this hairstyle requires the wearer to become unbelievably pallid and squint under several layers of mascara. 

I don't know if I'm down with that. 

I got that hair cut once and (if your hair grows at any speed at all) it will turn into a fem-mullet really fast.  I swear it looked good for only a week, and my hair doesn't even grow that fast. 

I am a big fan of the Audrey Hepburn cut (http://historiologicalnotes.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/audrey_hepburn.jpg) (aka the gamine crop).  She had super-thick hair like you.  I've had this cut a number of times and really like it - it's very wash and wear friendly, but can be punked/sexied up with some styling products and tousling.  But maybe this is too short for you?  I love it.

I'm getting my hair cut soon.  I've been growing it out and actually had a dream last night where a total stranger told me my hair looked like a mess.  I usually go to a hair school and pay $6.  Sometimes I got to a salon near my place though.  Since I've been growing it out for such a long time, I think it's best to play it safe and go to a professional.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: mavies on August 29, 2007, 04:30:08 pm
Short hair! I find it can be immeasurably sexy on some girls. JLDunston, I have no idea what you look like, but am highly recommending either of the cuts just mentioned. Pallid and overly eye-painted or otherwise, that is some good-looking hair. But then, if a mullet is the price to pay, maybe not. My mother had something of a mullet for a time, and we never let her forget it. That Audrey Hepburn one looks awful fine. I find hair that needs no work to look good looks even better as a result.

My hair's been pretty long for a years now. When it was properly long, halfway down my back, I had to wash it pretty much every day else it'd look well scruffy. Now it's much shorter and more manageable, it looks alright for a few days. I still try to shower every day though, living in a desert tends to make one sweat a bit excessively. Herbal Essences shampoo & conditioner makes it lovely and shiny and pretty-smelling. True, no one ever comes within smelling range, but it's nice to know just in case of the unlikely event of my having close human contact with someone who aint a family member.

A couple of my friends think I'm gay. Just 'cuz I try to keep myself relatively well-dressed and groomed, am rather bitchy regarding other peoples appearance and like not shy about complimenting other guys.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on August 29, 2007, 06:18:42 pm
I'm thinking of something like this (http://www.hairstylesdesign.com/gallery/fiche.php?id=75), but apparently this hairstyle requires the wearer to become unbelievably pallid and squint under several layers of mascara. 

I don't know if I'm down with that. 

This looks to me like the kind of haircut that only looks good in professional photographs immediately after much fussing and styling, and in real life would look like you forgot to brush your hair.

But don't listen to me, I know nothing about looking like a girl.

Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Nabubrush on August 29, 2007, 08:07:02 pm
A couple of my friends think I'm gay. Just 'cuz I try to keep myself relatively well-dressed and groomed, am rather bitchy regarding other peoples appearance and like not shy about complimenting other guys.

Dude, I totally hear you. A couple of my friends think I'm gay just because I go down on men from time to time.

BOY-CUT!
BOY-CUT!
BOY-CUT!

(but seriously, most people don't go for this, don't. probably.)

My wife had seriously short, spiked hair all the time I was courting her and well into our marriage. She finally decided to try growing it out again and she kept telling me how shitty it looked and I told her to just relax, it'd be ok. Now she's happy as a clam at high tide. One thing to consider is thta if you get it cute really short, you may be somewhat committed to short hair because of this. However, you may not particularly give a shit about how it looks when you are growing it back out.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: mavies on August 30, 2007, 08:01:21 am
Dude, I totally hear you. A couple of my friends think I'm gay just because I go down on men from time to time.

That happened to me once. They told me it was an enlarged clitoris. Good Times?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: CortJstr on August 30, 2007, 01:12:12 pm
That happened to me once. They told me it was an enlarged clitoris. Good Times?

Wait, so you're Sean "X-Pac" Waltman? Or were you just going down on Chyna randomly? Either way, ew.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on August 30, 2007, 03:56:24 pm
I ended up going with something in between the two hairstyles -- a little shorter than the pic I posted but a little more layered than the gamine crop.  It's actually not quite as short as it was when I was in college, which incidentally also coincided with the time in my life when most of the people I knew casually thought I was a lesbian.  Just because my hair was cut like a boy's (#2 guard in the back, a little longer on top) and I came to class in a daily uniform of combat boots, torn Levi 505s, a wife-beater and (weather permitting) a flannel shirt.  And most of the people I hung out with were lesbians.  And I liked to make out with girls sometimes.  Oddly, I didn't come to think of myself as bi until after I was married and I read a survey that said that only 20% of women have same-sex attractions at some point in their lives.  I figured it was a thing everyone had, but most people just didn't act on it for various reasons.  A little more research into the subject assured me that no, most women just aren't that into girls.  Go figure. 

Point here is, I like the new 'do very much.  It has the option of being either domestic or dykey, depending how much product I decide to use.  I like being able to make that choice on a day-to-day basis.  Pics to be posted soon -- as soon as I can borrow a digital camera.  I'll post them in the picture thread so as not to cross-contaminate this one. 

Now, let's talk about hot men giving each other blowjobs some more. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jaydub on August 30, 2007, 04:01:59 pm
Now, let's talk about hot men giving each other blowjobs some more. 
(http://news.google.com/news?q=larry+craig&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&imgefp=sbo2Itysx_0J&imgurl=www.ktvu.com/2007/0828/13988535_240X180.jpg) approves.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Nabubrush on August 30, 2007, 04:09:11 pm
That guy used to work for me.

We should probably have a super-secret section of the board for this, like the mod area. Age verification and all.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: CortJstr on August 30, 2007, 04:15:55 pm
That guy used to work for me.

We should probably have a super-secret section of the board for this, like the mod area. Age verification and all.

TOUAMB: After Dark.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: smick on August 30, 2007, 05:11:28 pm
Can it have it's own Karma as well?  Furious looking dongs.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Nabubrush on August 30, 2007, 05:13:18 pm
The people have spoken* and clearly this is an idea whose time has come.

*Which is to say, CJ, smick, and I - and really only I endorsed it.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: CortJstr on August 30, 2007, 05:26:50 pm
Can it have it's own Karma as well?  Furious looking dongs.

I think tubes of K-Y or Astroglide would be an appropriate replacement for TCoDP.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on August 30, 2007, 05:29:13 pm
On the one hand, this seems like kind of a neat idea. 

On the other hand, isn't that what PM & chat are for? 

On the other other hand, we already have a VIP section from a long time ago that nobody posts in and a lot of people got inadvertently left off of. 

PM me for access (if you don't have it already) and we can try this there.  But honestly, I can't imagine having conversations there that are any worse than the one's we've had out in the open.  I've been on message boards devoted entirely to sex and most of the conversations there were less personal than these -- if occasionally more graphic.  We are a pretty raunchy little corner of the internet, but I guess if it helps keep the "upper house" a little cleaner (for the benefit of people who actually want to read a thread about, for instance, Achewood) it doesn't bother me to put it under wraps a bit. 

Also, while Astroglide is infinitely superior, I don't think there's a way to make a special kind of karma for just one section of the board.  It would have to be a whole new database category, and I don't think jough (in his infinite laziness) is going to be willing to hard-code it in just for shits and giggles.  JMHO. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on August 30, 2007, 05:34:11 pm
Wait, are we actually acknowledging the existence of these secret places?  I thought it was all hush, hush...

Anyway, the old VIP room was basically used to court both Bozak and I into becoming mods.  No one ever really posted there much, and it was almost immediately after that that Bozak left us forever.  I suppose this was my fault for insisting he wax his back.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: CortJstr on August 30, 2007, 05:40:33 pm
Wait, are we actually acknowledging the existence of these secret places?  I thought it was all hush, hush...

Anyway, the old VIP room was basically used to court both Bozak and I into becoming mods.  No one ever really posted there much, and it was almost immediately after that that Bozak left us forever.  I suppose this was my fault for insisting he wax his back.

JL, I'm pretty sure we're kidding about After Dark. Aren't we?

You though all what was hush-hush? What are you even talking about? I know nothing of these things.

Actually my first thought was, "there's a VIP section? Damn, I must really suck to have not heard about it until now. Is it because I never go the IRC channel?"
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: smick on August 30, 2007, 05:47:14 pm
Actually my first thought was, "there's a VIP section? Damn, I must really suck to have not heard about it until now. Is it because I never go the IRC channel?"

See, and I thought it was because I'm ALWAYS in the IRC channel... so alone... always.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: side_show on August 30, 2007, 05:47:40 pm
There... there is no VIP room.  What are you talking about?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Nabubrush on August 30, 2007, 05:48:51 pm
But honestly, I can't imagine having conversations there that are any worse than the one's we've had out in the open.  I've been on message boards devoted entirely to sex and most of the conversations there were less personal than these -- if occasionally more graphic.  We are a pretty raunchy little corner of the internet, but I guess if it helps keep the "upper house" a little cleaner (for the benefit of people who actually want to read a thread about, for instance, Achewood) it doesn't bother me to put it under wraps a bit. 
Sometimes I just feel a tiny twinge when I expose the young people to what goes on in my head. It doesn't stop me, obviously, but I worry about people getting scarrred.
Also, while Astroglide is infinitely superior,
Well, it's certainly superior to Dr. Pepper as a lube. And you can only use Coca-Cola as a post-coitus spermicide.*

*Young people, do not try this. It does not work. Protect yourself.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: smick on August 30, 2007, 05:55:15 pm
I think tubes of K-Y or Astroglide would be an appropriate replacement for TCoDP.

Uh, I got some K-Y issues (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3838.msg97591.html#msg97591) I haven't come to closure with yet.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: wombat on August 30, 2007, 05:57:14 pm
There's still an IRC channel?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on August 30, 2007, 08:37:39 pm
I get the feeling some people are kidding and some people are not.  My point is that -- shared hallucinations aside -- there is already sort of a thing like this in place, so the people who are not kidding can avail themselves of that if there is a demand for that sort of thing. 

Whether there is or not is not for me to decide.  I am merely administrating here. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 30, 2007, 09:03:24 pm
I get the feeling some people are kidding and some people are not.  My point is that -- shared hallucinations aside -- there is already sort of a thing like this in place, so the people who are not kidding can avail themselves of that if there is a demand for that sort of thing. 

Whether there is or not is not for me to decide.  I am merely administrating here. 

Theres a secret board where touamb members talk about male on male blowjobs? What? I... I... I think Im lost, nothing to see here. Happy easter.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 30, 2007, 09:08:51 pm
Oh... oh my, I had no idea.
http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,555.0.html (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,555.0.html)
(http://mywebpage.netscape.com/zartan00001/suckindick.jpg)
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Nabubrush on August 30, 2007, 09:18:26 pm
Not that I really need another place to talk about cocksucking, but I probably ought to get an invite.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 30, 2007, 09:25:45 pm
Not that I really need another place to talk about cocksucking, but I probably ought to get an invite.
I remember when there was a time that I would go weeks without any mention of cocksucking and ballblowing and man-on-man-on-goat-on-italian rimjob foot movies. Then Al Gore invented the internet.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jaydub on August 30, 2007, 11:49:53 pm
I'm feeling very sad that Slink and Jough's contributions are no longer visible.  Maybe they could be recovered?
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Nabubrush on August 31, 2007, 01:41:00 am
I remember when there was a time that I would go weeks without any mention of cocksucking and ballblowing and man-on-man-on-goat-on-italian rimjob foot movies. Then Al Gore invented the internet.

Let us not mention those dark times again.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on August 31, 2007, 02:05:18 am
Oh... oh my, I had no idea.
http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,555.0.html (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,555.0.html)
(http://mywebpage.netscape.com/zartan00001/suckindick.jpg)


That takes me back to the pre-baby days.  Back when I had time to play around with photoshop. 

I guess if I'd continued with the proscribed activity I wouldn't keep getting knocked up and would have more time to goof around on the 'net. 

Ah, well.  You take it as it comes. 

Yeah, I meant that the way it sounded. 
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 31, 2007, 03:03:11 am
suckin' dick bought this donut (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3510.0.html)
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 02, 2007, 08:15:47 am
http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2007/11/30/dirt_on_clean/index1.html


Don't bathe.
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 20, 2009, 01:09:12 am
And:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102062969
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: pmcd9 on March 21, 2009, 10:34:03 pm
http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2007/11/30/dirt_on_clean/index1.html


Don't bathe.

Fuck that shit!!!
Title: Re: The washing hair debate
Post by: jay-ell on March 21, 2009, 11:36:48 pm
I think the key is to wash the body but leave the hair alone. 

Either way, my hair is 2 inches long and I have naturally oily skin.  I think I'll stick to my every-other-day schedule, thanks.