The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: wombat on November 07, 2009, 02:04:08 pm

Title: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on November 07, 2009, 02:04:08 pm
Onstad on facebook:
Quote
I am opening a food cart called, "Good-Ass Sandwich." That is the exact title. What is your own personal favorite "good-ass sandwich"?

My answer: Grilled cheese- extra sharp cheddar, decent bread of the sort that comes in a sliced loaf in a plastic bag, and for God's sake use BUTTER, and SPREAD it on the outside of the slices, do NOT melt it in the pan. It makes it a totally different thing.

I also lately found that aged gruyere is awesome in this, even with a much cruder whole-grain bread than I usually prefer. This makes sense I guess, it is the sort of cheese you make fondue out of, so it is born to be melted.

What is yours?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on November 07, 2009, 02:21:41 pm
Paper-thin, deli-sliced, brown-sugar ham piled high with just the right amount of swiss on seeded rye, grilled. No toppings. Crunchy kettle chips on the side.

Mmmm.

Agreed re: butter on the bread, not in the pan.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 07, 2009, 03:10:01 pm
Cuz if there's one thing white people like, it's expensive sandwiches (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/11/63-expensive-sandwiches/).

Mine is just about the same as jay-ell's.  I can't decide if I like a soft rye better, or that Jewish rye. 

I also like a really, truly kick-ass Italian hoagie, on really good bread with good salami, capicola ham, and sharp provolone cheese.  No Subway commodity-grade ingredients, please.  Such as at Taylor Gourmet (http://www.taylorgourmet.com/) or John's Roast Pork. (http://www.johnsroastpork.com/)  I love me some cheesesteaks too, but that's almost its own genre.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: rowboat on November 07, 2009, 04:00:20 pm
I don't expect it to catch on yet (the advanced flavor is still too much for many of today's primitive palates), but my own personal life was changed for the better when I invented "Pigs in Hell."

Whip up some French toast (use Texas toast - don't fuck around). Scramble the leftover eggs. Fry up some decent bacon. Stick the scrambled eggs and bacon between the pieces of French toast, add a ton of black pepper and as much sriracha as you can stand. It's important to make sure it's a hellish amount, otherwise you have to call it something else. Enjoy with a nice brown ale (this ain't no average morning - why treat it like one?)

Some day folks will understand. Till then, here's your glimpse into the future of flavor. You're welcome.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 07, 2009, 04:23:52 pm
build mostly from bottom to top. a diagram:

ciabbatta (top)
drizzle of balsamic (apply to top)
basil pesto (apply to top)
basil leaves
provolone
mortadella
roasted red pepper
provolone
prosciutto
artichoke hearts
provolone
hot capicolla
basil leaves
goat cheese
black olive pesto
black pepper
sea salt
drizzle of olive oil
ciabbatta (bottom)

wrap tightly in plastic, put in the fridge under a weight, cut and eat the next day.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on November 07, 2009, 04:39:49 pm
It's important to make sure it's a hellish amount, otherwise you have to call it something else.

What? I like the idea of trying this without the hot sauce, but I feel I have to know its name first.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: rowboat on November 07, 2009, 05:21:55 pm
What? I like the idea of trying this without the hot sauce, but I feel I have to know its name first.
Without any? Hmm. Not sure about that idea, but you could use just a few dots and call it "Pigs in Heat." But if you ask me you're missing out.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on November 07, 2009, 05:22:42 pm
I've posted this before but in college I basically lived on The Samson:

12" sub roll, roast beef, turkey, LTM, russian dressing, muenster, and mild cheddar (or american). Put in a sandwich toaster just long enough for the cheese to melt and the meat to get a little warm but not to really toast the bread.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: R2DTrousers on November 07, 2009, 06:27:51 pm
The key to a good-ass sandwich is the hyphen. The hyphen can absolutely make-or-break the whole deal. Other than that, maybe just a crusty baguette with plenty of bits of a roast-the-previous-day chicken, with salt and pepper.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 07, 2009, 06:40:39 pm
1. High-quality roast beef with grainy mustard, lettuce, tomato, thin-sliced onion, and creamy hossradish on a ciabatta or french bread.

2.  Leftover white meat turkey with just a swipe of mayo, salt and pepper, lettuce, and a touch of regular mustard on white bread.  So much better than it should be.

3.  Does a patty melt count?  If so, that's my favorite good-ass sandwich. 

Edited to add:  While I don't usually enjoy mixing my sweets and my savories, there's a fontina, ham, and pear sandwich to murder your grandmother for at a truly amazing little restaurant,  Hell's Kitchen (http://www.hellskitcheninc.com/), here in Minnesota.  (Nothing to do with the usually charming and personable G. Ramsey, btw.)  It's so good it was named among the best in America by the Sterns in their "Road Food Sandwiches" book.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on November 07, 2009, 07:10:48 pm
I've posted this before but in college I basically lived on The Samson:

12" sub roll, roast beef, turkey, LTM, russian dressing, muenster, and mild cheddar (or american). Put in a sandwich toaster just long enough for the cheese to melt and the meat to get a little warm but not to really toast the bread.

LTM sounds like a vegetable that is trying to become something else.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on November 07, 2009, 09:21:19 pm
I realize reading this thread that one thing I like about my good-ass sandwich is that it contains ingredients that I am likely to have when I have nothing in the house.

I mean, sure, of course I like a sandwich on a fresh crusty baguette (which I have to go to a special store to get and eat the same day) or with roasted red peppers that I make from scratch (and have to figure out yet again which button turns the smoke alarm off)  or an Italian sandwich from Taylor Gourmet (which is a special trip to a place nowhere vaguely near any other part of the city that I ever have to go to).  But it's amazing to have basically nothing to eat in the house, and realize that I can make this totally kick-ass grilled cheese sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on November 07, 2009, 09:23:55 pm
(and have to figure out yet again which button turns the smoke alarm off)

This reminds of of an excellent concept product I saw online. It's a smoke alarm that's wirelessly connected to your kitchen timer. So while the timer is running the smoke alarm is automatically turned off.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 08, 2009, 03:45:37 am
smoked turkey on a kaiser roll with lettuce, L, T, M, and pickle chips.  cheap and easy.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on November 08, 2009, 01:13:58 pm
This reminds of of an excellent concept product I saw online. It's a smoke alarm that's wirelessly connected to your kitchen timer. So while the timer is running the smoke alarm is automatically turned off.

I need this!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on November 08, 2009, 07:26:28 pm
Paper-thin, deli-sliced, brown-sugar ham piled high with just the right amount of swiss on seeded rye, grilled. No toppings. Crunchy kettle chips on the side.

Mmmm.

Agreed re: butter on the bread, not in the pan.

Guess what I bought the ingredients for last night?

Sandwich heaven awaits.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 08, 2009, 08:14:40 pm
I like so many different sandwiches in so many different ways. Hm.
Lately, beef bologna or kosher salami on rye with mustard and cheddar. Cooked on our panini press. (it sounds extravagant, but I use it for basically every meal. If it helps we don't own a normal toaster?)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 08, 2009, 09:49:11 pm
ive been obsesse3d with quesadillas for the past year.  i heat up the ol' cast iron skillet and lay a tortilla in there.  then i sprinkle shredded mozzy or queso blanco on it.  then i put in a hand full of diced ham or pepperoni.  then i sprinkle more cheese and add a tortilla on top of that.  i turn it when the bottom layer of cheese is melty.  its done when the other side is melty and its usually the perfect amount of crispy by that point.  then i cram it in my face.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 08, 2009, 10:12:22 pm
Oh man, that sounds good, GK.  I have to try the queso blanco and ham.  It strikes me as being good with roasted chicken, too, and some guac on top.  Oh, yeaaaahhhh.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 08, 2009, 11:09:36 pm
I have ingredients.  I think it's time to sandwich it up.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on November 08, 2009, 11:13:35 pm
Oh yeah, I started making quesadillas at home when I realized that they are in fact basically a grilled cheese sandwich. A grilled cheese sandwich that is really good with refried black beans and avocado and salsa.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 08, 2009, 11:21:16 pm
Incidentally they are both very good with chips.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 08, 2009, 11:45:11 pm
I also make quesadillas on the panini thing.
I am not super into guac, but it always makes me think about how my grandmother says that when they moved here (1963 or so?) they could not find an avocado anywhere in the US.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 09, 2009, 12:07:28 am
Yeah, avacado was invented in the 50s, but it didn't really catch on until the 70s.  I think it was the popularity of avacado furniture and countertops that spurred it to popularity.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: smick on November 09, 2009, 05:01:38 am
It is best if you just assume I disagree with you.


DO you see me? I am looking at you disapprovingly.

Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 09, 2009, 08:36:43 pm
I also make quesadillas on the panini thing.
I am not super into guac, but it always makes me think about how my grandmother says that when they moved here (1963 or so?) they could not find an avocado anywhere in the US.

your grandmother lived somewhere that wasnt St. Louis, or somewhere that wasnt the US?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: TedStriker on November 09, 2009, 09:29:31 pm
My lunch today definitely qualified as a good-ass sandwich: lightly toasted cibatta spread liberally with olive oil and balsalmic, topped with baby spinach, mozzarela (the big honkin' kind) and roma tomatoes.  I meant to put bacon on this too, for obvious reasons, but ran out of time. 

I also make a mean jerk pork hoagie with sriracha mayo and fresh jalapeno and cucumber.  It's like Caribbean banh mi or something.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on November 09, 2009, 09:32:06 pm
your grandmother lived somewhere that wasnt St. Louis, or somewhere that wasnt the US?

Inev's grandmother is from South America. (Chile, IIRC.)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Turbo Ninja on November 09, 2009, 09:34:52 pm
If I'm feeling cheap and the lady isn't around to watch me eat:

Isaly's chopped ham (or similar "chipped chopped ham" product), sliced as thin as the deli guy has the patience for.  Store-brand kaiser roll OR mass-produced "honey wheat" bread, a'la Home Pride.  Pre-sliced swiss cheese.  Stadium mustard if you live in northern Ohio, other vinegary spicy brown mustard if you live somewhere else.

Put a slice of cheese on the bottom bun/bread.  Pile the chopped ham on the cheese in a quantity that makes you think twice.  :)-face of mustard on top of the ham.  Second slice of cheese on top of that, then top bun/bread.  Microwave for 50 seconds.  Enjoy with cold pickle spear.


Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 09, 2009, 09:40:04 pm
Inev's grandmother is from South America. (Chile, IIRC.)

sweet.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 09, 2009, 09:46:58 pm
My lunch today definitely qualified as a good-ass sandwich: lightly toasted cibatta spread liberally with olive oil and balsalmic, topped with baby spinach, mozzarela (the big honkin' kind) and roma tomatoes.  I meant to put bacon on this too, for obvious reasons, but ran out of time. 
Oh my.  Oh my oh my.

I also make a mean jerk pork hoagie with sriracha mayo and fresh jalapeno and cucumber.  It's like Caribbean banh mi or something.

OH MY.  You're killing me here.  You win the good-ass sandwiches award in my book.  You got a single twin brother or anything?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 09, 2009, 09:49:26 pm
My sandwich life was changed when it was so obviously pointed out that I should mix spices with the sauces in this sandwich thread:
http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4446.0.html
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: smick on November 09, 2009, 10:39:13 pm
It is best if you just assume I disagree with you.


DO you see me? I am looking at you disapprovingly.



So... I just saw this post of mine, and thought it was from an old thread.   Nope!  Turns out it was last night.   I vaguely remember posting it, and I have no idea of the relevance of it, or whom I'm talking to.   Perhaps I'm shouting at the specters that were haunting my beer soaked mind last night.   There was certainly a lot of beer yesterday.

One thing is for sure, I was disagreeable.


(And for history sake: much better at typing drunk than Judy was.)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on November 09, 2009, 10:47:41 pm
My sandwich life was changed when it was so obviously pointed out that I should mix spices with the sauces in this sandwich thread:
http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4446.0.html

That thread now has a post about giraffe based sandwiches. I welcome our new overlords.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 09, 2009, 11:11:28 pm
I hope not giraffe placenta sandwiches.  I hope.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 09, 2009, 11:16:10 pm
JL remembers correctly.

I have gotten really into making quesadillas with things that should not be in quesadillas.

Like, bologna.

In Berkeley I got really into Cuban sandwiches. What a great idea for a sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 09, 2009, 11:41:52 pm
mmm made with real cubans
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on November 09, 2009, 11:52:23 pm
That thread now has a post about giraffe based sandwiches. I welcome our new overlords.

But...you are our new overlords!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: rowboat on November 10, 2009, 12:30:29 am
In Berkeley I got really into Cuban sandwiches. What a great idea for a sandwich.
I was pretty harshly disillusioned recently when a Cuban sandwich which I ate at this bakery which was owned and operated by young, white hippy-types turned out to be pound-for-pound superior to the Cubans I get from the place down the street from me which are made by actual Cubans. It was a little depressing somehow.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: rowboat on November 10, 2009, 12:31:44 am
By the way, this spell check suggests "potpies" in place of "hippy-types." I like that.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 10, 2009, 01:01:05 am
mmm made with real cubans

such as mark cuban?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 02:01:42 am
I was pretty harshly disillusioned recently when a Cuban sandwich which I ate at this bakery which was owned and operated by young, white hippy-types turned out to be pound-for-pound superior to the Cubans I get from the place down the street from me which are made by actual Cubans. It was a little depressing somehow.

I got disappointed when I discovered a cuban was just a grilled ham sandwich with a fancy name.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on November 10, 2009, 02:05:45 am
I got disappointed when I discovered a cuban was just a grilled ham sandwich with a fancy name.

Doesn't it have roasted pork too? I usually just get a roasted pork sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 02:09:26 am
Not the ones I've had.  sliced ham, a white cheese on a grilled bread.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 10, 2009, 02:10:50 am
I am open to the possibility that what really distinguishes the Cuban sandwich for me is that it has pickles. I really like pickles, but I always combine them with things they do not go with, and end up with shitty sandwiches.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 02:13:35 am
We have pickles in America.  None of these ingredients are exclusive to Cuba.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on November 10, 2009, 02:22:38 am
I present two menus, one from Chicago and one from Seattle.

http://cafecitochicago.com/taxonomy/term/2

http://www.lacasadelmojito.com/food.html

You are closer to Cuba, though, than either place, so I won't press it any further.

Whatever you call it, it is tasty. I don't know if I've ever seen one in Salt Lake.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 10, 2009, 02:37:19 am
I mean, what would be an exclusive ingredient to Cuba. I do not get the problem here.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: rowboat on November 10, 2009, 02:50:13 am
Doesn't it have roasted pork too?
Yes. A Cuban that doesn't have this is not a Cuban.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 03:36:00 am
I'll have to try again, maybe it had roast pork and I didn't notice. It might have got lost among all the other ingredients.

There's no problem really I just see this happening all the time.  I blame the advent of the Food Network or something that touts something as exotic when it's really not. 

I always have to make the same joke, what's the difference between a  grilled ham and roast pork sandwich and a cuban sandwich?  Oh about $3

What's the difference between a doughnut and a beignet?  etc...

The inference here is that because it's exotic it's somehow more valuable.

I won't begrudge Cuba their sandwich anymore though.  It is indeed tasty. 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2009, 04:56:25 am
the secret to a great cuban sandwich is in the bread, that awesome cuban bread baked with a palm frond.

it's the only way i can eat ham.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 10, 2009, 05:24:14 am
Not the ones I've had.  sliced ham, a white cheese on a grilled bread.

Good god, what kind of places do you frequent that would try to flim-flam you with this travesty?  I cry FOUL, good sir.  That which you described does not even count as a mockery of a Cuban sandwich. 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 10, 2009, 06:05:01 am
Now I am fantasizing about the brazilian steak sandwiches I got in Berkeley. They took like 15 minutes and the guy felt bad, so he gave us mango smoothies.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 06:13:34 am
Good god, what kind of places do you frequent that would try to flim-flam you with this travesty?  I cry FOUL, good sir.  That which you described does not even count as a mockery of a Cuban sandwich. 

What, I ask is wrong with the sandwich I described?  More importantly, how does it differ from the cuban other than the possible omission of the roast pork?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2009, 07:30:13 am
roast pork, mustard, pickles, cuban bread - oh and it's supposed to be swiss cheese.

what you described sounds like a lazy sunday snack
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 10, 2009, 02:35:35 pm
There's no problem really I just see this happening all the time.  I blame the advent of the Food Network or something that touts something as exotic when it's really not. 

Arguments about the true nature of the Cuban sandwich aside, this is kind of true.  There was an amateur cooking competition show on Food Network a while back, Ultimate Recipe Showdown I think it was called.  And in the roast chicken episode, snotty-ass Andrew Knowlton was raving about this woman's Peruvian-style roast chicken with fried yuca.  "Really original," he said.  And I shouted at the TV, "I could take you to a half-dozen places within 30 minutes drive of here that serve the same thing!!"  Not that Peruvian chicken isn't awesome, because it is.  But just because YOU haven't had it before doesn't make it "original."

Speaking of exotic-sounding sandwiches, I'd like a banh mi right about now.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2009, 03:06:07 pm
That's pretty funny. I guess there is a way in which "original" can mean "the first person to think of entering this kind of thing in a recipe competition."

Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: rowboat on November 10, 2009, 04:17:32 pm
What, I ask is wrong with the sandwich I described?
Nothing except the likelihood that you were charged for something you weren't getting.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on November 10, 2009, 04:22:29 pm
What, I ask is wrong with the sandwich I described?  More importantly, how does it differ from the cuban other than the possible omission of the roast pork?

How does a Reuben differ from a corned beef sandwich other than from the addition of kraut and thousand island dressing?

How does a glass of tomato juice differ from a bloody mary other than from the addition of hella vodak?

How do I differ from the rest of you schmoes other than from the addition gargantuan quantities of industrial strength awesome?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2009, 04:25:06 pm
sheesh august is it that time of the year again when you start to turn into cowboy barney stinson man i just am NOT prepared for that again
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 04:40:11 pm
Anyway, fuck a Cuban sandwich, there's a lot better sandwiches to eat.

I think I've talked about my boyhood sandwich (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/sets/72157603368540413/) here before.  I don't eat a muffuletta much anymore because nobody I've found round these parts can make it as good as Fertitta's.

A sandwich I like to make sometimes Is a variant of the Reuben.  Instead of corned beef I use turkey and instead of sauerkraut I use coleslaw.  I got the idea from Carshon's Deli (http://www.carshonsdeli.com/index.php) in Fort Worth.  It's their Ruthie sandwich, but I omit the corned beef altogether usually.  So good!

I had a fantastic BLT the other night.  Simple and perfect.

And I don't know why anyone would denigrate a lazy Sunday snack because really dems de best eatings of all.

You know it's really hard to go wrong with a sandwich.  There are just so many right combinations.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on November 10, 2009, 04:51:22 pm
Mmmmm, boyhood sandwich. 

My mind is going places y'all probably would rather not visualize on this one.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2009, 04:53:14 pm
There is nothing better than a simple perfect BLT.

Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: rowboat on November 10, 2009, 05:12:48 pm
my boyhood sandwich (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/sets/72157603368540413/)
Dude! I'm at work, here! A little warning please!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 10, 2009, 05:56:18 pm
I mean, what would be an exclusive ingredient to Cuba. I do not get the problem here.

yucky tostones
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 10, 2009, 06:05:05 pm
Anyway, fuck a Cuban sandwich, there's a lot better sandwiches to eat.

Dude, there's way better food to fuck than a sandwich.  Philip Roth swears by (oh my god my memory is failing me.  Was it a pumpkin?  A salami?  Or was he the sweat sock with lotion? Ugh, I've gotten old; I'm forgetting my classic American literature.)  And of course apple pie.

I don't eat a muffuletta much anymore because nobody I've found round these parts can make it as good as Fertitta's.

There was an actual restaurant in St. Paul called Muffalettas; they made fantastic...wait for it...muffalettas.  They have closed, unfortunately.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 10, 2009, 06:05:40 pm
i might be getting sacreligious here, but i enjoy the following mass produced sammiches:

(http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0007790035438_LG.jpg)

double whopper
(http://www.burgerking.co.uk/files/images/product/dblWhopperCheese.gif)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 06:18:35 pm
In honor of this thread I had a good ass sandwich (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4092666785/) for lunch today.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Turbo Ninja on November 10, 2009, 06:21:06 pm
Paul, that egg is gorgeous to the point of looking fake.  I believe that is a sandwich I would enjoy to eat.

Only way to improve on a BLT: Mayo on one slice of bread, peanut butter on the other.  It makes for some truly wonderful eating.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 06:44:42 pm
Paul, that egg is gorgeous to the point of looking fake.  I believe that is a sandwich I would enjoy to eat.

That is actually the second egg I cooked.  On the first one the oil was too hot and it got a little crusty.  It was tasty, but I thought "this is for TOUAMB I can't take a picture of a crusty egg."  So I cooked a second one, the one you saw.

Only way to improve on a BLT: Mayo on one slice of bread, peanut butter on the other.  It makes for some truly wonderful eating.

I'm going to have to take your word for it as that doesn't sound like my idea of wonderful.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 10, 2009, 06:57:27 pm
I got really into whoppers for a while, and then I had one that was really really bad at laguardia airport.

I want a really good sandwich, but there is a law (or something) on this campus where you can only get horrible sandwiches. It's a damn shame. 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 10, 2009, 07:01:20 pm
That is actually the second egg I cooked.  On the first one the oil was too hot and it got a little crusty.  It was tasty, but I thought "this is for TOUAMB I can't take a picture of a crusty egg."  So I cooked a second one, the one you saw.

dedication, much?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2009, 07:02:39 pm
Only way to improve on a BLT: Mayo on one slice of bread, peanut butter on the other.  It makes for some truly wonderful eating.

PB and mayo even in the same sentence makes me a little queasy, much less the same sandwich. But I understand the problem that this sandwich is trying to solve. Personally I would approach this by having half a BLT and half a PB and bacon sandwich.

Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2009, 07:03:20 pm
dedication, much?

This is why not just any crappy half-assed noob can make it here.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 10, 2009, 07:15:11 pm
In honor of this thread I had a good ass sandwich (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4092666785/) for lunch today.
Are those really MisterQueue's pictures? Why is he so good at taking pictures?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 07:23:54 pm
This is why not just any crappy half-assed noob can make it here.

That is my new signature!

Are those really MisterQueue's pictures? Why is he so good at taking pictures?

Why are you asking me?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 10, 2009, 07:26:42 pm
This is why not just any crappy half-assed noob can make it here.
As for myself, I am a crappy full-assed noob.  If I can make it here, I'll make it anywhere...
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2009, 07:29:00 pm
i had a muffaletta once, didn't impress me. it was olives and bologna on too much bread


</meta>
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 07:30:28 pm
As for myself, I am a crappy full-assed noob.  If I can make it here, I'll make it anywhere...

Tell me more about this full ass of yours.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 07:31:37 pm
i had a muffaletta once, didn't impress me. it was olives and bologna on too much bread

Maybe you got your muffaletta the same place I got my Cuban.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: smick on November 10, 2009, 07:38:27 pm
Tell me more about this full ass of yours.


Whoa whoa hoooowhoa.  Whoa.

Aren't there such as places for this kinda internet sexchats?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 10, 2009, 07:43:19 pm
This is why not just any crappy half-assed noob can make it here.

i feel dumb because i cant tell if this is a compliment or an insult.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 10, 2009, 07:48:16 pm
There's a reason for this. It is neither. Wombat is contrasting Paul's awesome thoroughness with a hypothetical half-assed noobs half-assedness. Paul is setting the bar high.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on November 10, 2009, 07:56:09 pm
Are those really MisterQueue's pictures? Why is he so good at taking pictures?

Because he sold his soul to George Eastman.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 10, 2009, 07:57:31 pm
Tell me more about this full ass of yours.
Easier just to show ya.  (http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx346/bluemoon1972/DSCN0862.jpg) 

You HAD to ask.  Now what has been seen cannot be unseen.  Etc.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on November 10, 2009, 07:57:36 pm
In honor of this thread I had a good ass sandwich (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4092666785/) for lunch today.

Nice.  I enjoy many variations of this sandwich.  Fried egg + fried bologna is awful tasty.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on November 10, 2009, 07:58:23 pm
You HAD to ask.  Now what has been seen cannot be unseen.  Etc.

Canned for the can.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2009, 08:00:17 pm
for my money sometimes you just can't beat a fresh egg salad sandwich, where the eggs are cooked perfectly

unfortunately too often they're overdone and the egg salad is all smellin of sulfur which just ruins it
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 08:06:49 pm
Easier just to show ya.  (http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx346/bluemoon1972/DSCN0862.jpg) 

You HAD to ask.  Now what has been seen cannot be unseen.  Etc.

I'd can your can, but I just canned you for something else.  Nice can.

This is at your office?  Did you just now get up from your desk and take a picture of your ass at my request?  Guess who just moved into the lead in the best new noob category?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 10, 2009, 08:15:30 pm
I'd can your can, but I just canned you for something else.  Nice can.
Thanks!
This is at your office?  Did you just now get up from your desk and take a picture of your ass at my request?  Guess who just moved into the lead in the best new noob category?
Yep, yep, and me?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: smick on November 10, 2009, 08:17:57 pm
Don't leave your husband for Paul.

He is someone on the internet.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 10, 2009, 08:22:25 pm
Don't leave your husband for Paul.

He is someone on the internet.

Paul is my husband.  I thought people would have figured that out by now.

(no he isn't.)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on November 10, 2009, 08:32:28 pm
Paul is my husband. 

I love your giraffesticks.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2009, 08:33:45 pm
what are you a gay giraffe
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on November 10, 2009, 08:33:52 pm
Easier just to show ya.  (http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx346/bluemoon1972/DSCN0862.jpg) 

You HAD to ask.  Now what has been seen cannot be unseen.  Etc.

This appears to be a black moon. Your username is misleading.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 10, 2009, 08:36:10 pm
Quote
what are you a gay giraffe

This made me laugh so damn hard, OUT LOUD.

People ran in to hear what was so funny, and... you can't explain this joke to anyone, ever.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 10, 2009, 08:43:25 pm
This appears to be a black moon. Your username is misleading.

And this made ME laugh out loud, alerting coworkers to the internet viewing in progress!  Can.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on November 10, 2009, 08:58:21 pm
what are you a gay giraffe

ARGH!  Hoisted by me own petard!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 10, 2009, 09:34:26 pm
what are you a gay giraffe

*the noob smiles politely and nods, hoping that someone will come along and pity-enlighten her.*
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: smick on November 10, 2009, 09:43:34 pm
Kanye West is a Gay Giraffe.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on November 10, 2009, 09:44:17 pm
*the noob smiles politely and nods, hoping that someone will come along and pity-enlighten her.*

It's a South Park reference from last season. When you say "giraffe sticks" out loud it sounds like "giraffe dicks"
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 10, 2009, 09:55:08 pm
*the noob smiles politely and nods, hoping that someone will come along and pity-enlighten her.*
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/224088

Now that i think about it, I cant even remember the last time I had f¡sh sticks.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: TedStriker on November 10, 2009, 10:51:03 pm
Paul, if you haven't seen the good ass fried egg sandwich at Max's on Washington (http://www.maxswinedive.com/content_files/pdf/MAX's%20Dinner%20Menu%204-23-09.pdf) (yes, the douchebag "dive" place with the valet parking), it really is almost worth braving the nonsense.  Three fried eggs along with bacon simmered in homeade salsa.  Yeah, it's over-priced, but there are some days when you should pay a steak premium for sandwich goodness.  Wait for such a day.

/hyper-local bullshit
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2009, 11:18:42 pm
i present to you the king of all burgers, the apex of the sandwich, the inspiration for every disgusting amalgamation of sandwich materials since bacon hit the internet, available at your own local Vortex, the Cardiac Arrest:

(http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1834/doublecardiacarrestburgam8.png)

double meat.
double cheese.
double bacon.
two fried eggs.
extra mayo.

stuffed between two grilled cheese sandwiches.

impossible to eat, impossible to resist, impossible to handle, impossible to stay clean if even alive.

and no, they don't put your picture on the wall or your name in the book. eating the whole thing is nothing special. it's something delicious, and that is enough.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 10, 2009, 11:41:50 pm
(http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/rugbyjersey/sammich.jpg)
Everyone felt like shit for the rest of the day after this breakfast of two cheeseburgers, bacon, eggs, and two grilled cheese sandwiches. Thank you Big Momma's in the outer banks, where you do get your picture on the wall for eating this thing.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: R2DTrousers on November 10, 2009, 11:42:30 pm
i present to you ... the Cardiac Arrest

Looks nice apart from that fuck*ng green thing. WTF is that?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on November 10, 2009, 11:57:01 pm
the OBX

What're you, every late 90's SUV?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 11, 2009, 12:10:08 am
sorry artoo i didn't mean to scare you with that modest leaf of lettuce

What're you, every late 90's SUV?
this dr pepper is delicious have some
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on November 11, 2009, 12:18:36 am
i present to you the king of all burgers, the apex of the sandwich, the inspiration for every disgusting amalgamation of sandwich materials since bacon hit the internet, available at your own local Vortex, the Cardiac Arrest:

(http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1834/doublecardiacarrestburgam8.png)

double meat.
double cheese.
double bacon.
two fried eggs.
extra mayo.

stuffed between two grilled cheese sandwiches.

impossible to eat, impossible to resist, impossible to handle, impossible to stay clean if even alive.

and no, they don't put your picture on the wall or your name in the book. eating the whole thing is nothing special. it's something delicious, and that is enough.

Sorry, that amalgamation has crossed the line from "sandwich" to "heap of assorted foodstuffs".
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 11, 2009, 02:13:00 am
Everyone felt like shit for the rest of the day after this breakfast of two cheeseburgers, bacon, eggs, and two grilled cheese sandwiches. Thank you Big Momma's in the outer banks, where you do get your picture on the wall for eating this thing.

Oh snap.  Where exactly?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 11, 2009, 02:17:07 am
Oh snap.  Where exactly?
Big Mama's Breakfast, Seafood, Ice Cream & Yogurt
1152 Ocean Trail, Corolla, NC 27927, USA
street address:   1152 Ocean Trail
ZIP/postal code:   27927
city:   Corolla
district:   Currituck
state/province:   NC
country:   USA
latitude, longitude:   

36.379978, -75.831311
36.379978   -75.831311

N36° 22.7987', W075° 49.8787'
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 11, 2009, 02:36:26 am
"Corolla" would have been fine, but I appreciate the effort.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 11, 2009, 02:44:11 am
NORTH CAROLINA!

yeahhhhhh.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 11, 2009, 02:48:05 am
"Corolla" would have been fine, but I appreciate the effort.
You DID say 'exactly'.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 11, 2009, 12:24:25 pm
Subway's  Good Ass Sandwiches (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/108119/the-accidental-hero.html?mod=career-selfemployment) are doing well in a sagging economy.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 11, 2009, 05:52:59 pm
I really liked Subway, as it is the only food option on campus other than dining halls, and then one day I walked in and just Couldn't Handle It.

I am way more into Jimmy John's, the Italian Night Club is my favorite.

Also lately I am craving a Chik-Fil-A sandwich. With a lemonade. I might have to drive out to Kirkwood to get one.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Lister on November 12, 2009, 05:37:29 am
I have to make a pilgrimage to Chick-fil-A once a month or so.  The closest one to me is downtown, so basically I can only get sweetea on Saturdays.

I'm disappointed that Chick-fil-A is the only restaurant I know that serves Diet Dr. Pepper, and yet I would never order it there.

The Sandwich I Can No Longer Make For Fear Of Cardiovascular Revolt goes like this:

Spread butter on either a sesame-seeded bun or two slices of Texas Toast, and grill/toast.  Place a slice of cheese on each bread-unit so it can be melting while the rest of the sammich is prepared.

Put two hot dogs in a skillet with some oil to get an extra-good crisp on the outside.  Grill until crisp all around, then split vertically (leaving the two halves connected) and crisp the exposed surfaces.

Place hot dogs, cut side down, side-by-side on top of the lower bread-unit and cheese slice.

Crack two eggs in the now-vacated skillet and proceed to cook to sunny-side up status.  When complete, place on top of the hot dogs and cover with the remaining cheese/bread piece.

Slice diagonally, and use the egg yolk as a dipping sauce when available.

Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 12, 2009, 06:08:49 am
all these sammich ideas are rad because we can mix and match any of the specific details mentioned based on personal taste and local availability.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 12, 2009, 06:19:51 am
yeah, definitely going to Chik-Fil-A this weekend.
I'm getting my hopes stupidly high that they will have Cheerwine there.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on November 12, 2009, 03:03:49 pm
yeah, definitely going to Chik-Fil-A this weekend.
I'm getting my hopes stupidly high that they will have Cheerwine there.

Cook-Out serves Cheerwine. AFAIK, no Chik-fil-a stores do.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 12, 2009, 03:07:09 pm
Cook-Out serves Cheerwine. AFAIK, no Chik-fil-a stores do.

We have none of the above here in the great white north.  I've at least HEARD of Chik-fil-a, but the terms "Cheerwine" and "Cook-Out" are completely unfamiliar.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on November 12, 2009, 03:10:47 pm
We have none of the above here in the great white north.  I've at least HEARD of Chik-fil-a, but the terms "Cheerwine" and "Cook-Out" are completely unfamiliar.

I know. I grew up in Ohio. Sweet Tea, Cheerwine, and Cook-Out were completely foreign concepts to me when I moved here.

Heck, they didn't have Krispy Kreme in Toledo until about 5 years ago. The got a KK and a Tim Horton's the same year. It was epic.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 12, 2009, 03:11:11 pm
I think the one near my house in charlotte has Cheerwine. But yeah, I figured I was probably getting my hopes stupidly high ("maybe they fly it into St Louis in a special cheerwine plane, or like, maybe they just drop it out of the plane with a tiny parachute for each can...")
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 12, 2009, 03:16:36 pm
I don't know if this qualifies as a good ass sandwich, but I've been eating a lot of hamburgers (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/sets/72157622562348398/) lately.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: TedStriker on November 12, 2009, 03:49:01 pm
Cann'd for Hubcap Grill. That's an honest Nice Pete burger if I've ever had one.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: smick on November 12, 2009, 04:05:23 pm
I woke up to do some work at 5a, then went back to sleep.

While waiting for the work to complete, I read this thread.  I then proceeded to dream about Cheerwine.  I had gotten all messed up on it, assuming "It's a softdrink".   I was then irrevocably drunk and needing to go to work.

Also in re: Chik-Fil-A.   I'm a northerner all my life, but I spent some time in the Southeast.  During that time, I also played World of Warcraft.  So, if you're in the intersection of being from the South, and playing World of Warcraft on this Venn diagram, maybe you'll find this image funny.  Maybe?

(http://insubordinate.net/temp/endwater_stridr_fil_a.jpg)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 12, 2009, 07:14:08 pm
Some of their advertisements rely on REALLY BIZARRE RACIAL STEREOTYPING OF ASIANS and the joke that this shop owner doesn't know that it isn't alcoholic.

Also, have I told you guys about how something that happened to me almost became a cheerwine ad? They went with the weird one about the Asian guy instead, and another one about chasing off Yankees who try to take Cheerwine across the Mason Dixon line.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 12, 2009, 08:41:51 pm
Also, have I told you guys about how something that happened to me almost became a cheerwine ad?

Even if you did, it's new to me! 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on November 12, 2009, 10:39:54 pm
Even if you did, it's new to me! 

Newbies: The next best thing to an Alzheimer's patient.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 13, 2009, 03:25:13 am
Newbies: The next best thing to an Alzheimer's patient.

 >:(  you can take that Scrabble game and shove it, lady. 

I keed, wanna play?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 14, 2009, 05:22:07 pm
Cuban Sandwich.  Now with Roast Pork (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4103556920/).
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 14, 2009, 10:37:06 pm
Cuban Sandwich.  Now with Roast Pork (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4103556920/).

Hooray for you!  Was it good (-ass)?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 14, 2009, 11:48:24 pm
It was good-ass..
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 15, 2009, 09:33:42 pm
They did not have cheerwine. We drove around st louis for 2 hours trying to find it (the first one we found on Google Maps was in a terrifying mall in north st louis that looked abandoned. We did not enter.)

That damn sandwich and lemonade... I almost died of happiness.

The cheerwine story:

In high school I really loved cheerwine, and developed a taste for cheerwine from glass bottles (the stuff in glass bottles is made with real sugar, it tastes really good). At this music venue I used to go to they wouldn't let you bring in any drinks, so I went out to drink my cheerwine in the parking lot. A security guard sees me and gets a gleam in his eye and walks up. "What'cha drinking there."
"oh... it's Cheerwine! *shows bottle*"
and he said something like, Oh! i love cheerwine!

and my dad knows a guy whose family owns cheerwine, and told him that story, and he was like "oh! that would be a great commercial!"
but then they made the weird one with the Asian man instead.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on November 15, 2009, 09:58:20 pm
I'll stick to Ale-81. (http://ale8one.com/)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 15, 2009, 10:45:55 pm
I'll stick to Ale-81. (http://ale8one.com/)

I would drink that product simply for the fact that it's somehow managed to remain independent after more than 80 years.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 16, 2009, 12:27:57 am
my favorite carolina soft drink is Dr. Enuf (http://www.drenuf.com/)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 16, 2009, 02:42:08 am
Round these parts we have FrosTop  (http://www.frostop.com/text/welcome.html)root beer.  It's magnificent.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Mr Trout on November 16, 2009, 03:44:40 am
I think my favorite soft drink would have to be Chinotto (http://www.amazon.com/San-Pellegrino-Chinotto-pack-bottles/dp/B0001FR0BQ). I've never been able to find it outside of this one little Italian market though. It kind of makes it more special that way though, so whenever I buy some I really savor it.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on November 16, 2009, 03:49:42 am
I was always a fan of Switch. It's carbonated fruit juice with no sugar added. But no place sells it any more. Izze is similar but has more of a seltzer taste to it.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 16, 2009, 04:04:26 am
Round these parts we have FrosTop  (http://www.frostop.com/text/welcome.html)root beer.  It's magnificent.

Too bad they were closed (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2070889785/).
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 16, 2009, 02:34:55 pm
Too bad they were closed (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2070889785/).

Dang, I wish we had a Frostop stand here.  We just have bottles of the stuff available in the stores.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jacques_schitt on November 17, 2009, 03:58:09 am
I am envious of you Americans and your endless sandwich and soft drink choices.

I have two good-ass sandwiches.

1.  Bagel, not toasted, split and both sides spread thickly with cream cheese, bottom half piled with smoked salmon, then plenty of wafer thin slices of red onion, a dollop of hossradish cream, a tablespoon of capers.

2.  Thick slice of buttered multi-grain bread, lettuce, homemade mayo, cold Wiener schnitzel (This is crucial - it must be cold, or the lettuce will soften and the butter will melt.  This is not good-ass.), salt and pepper, top with second slice of buttered multi-grain.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 17, 2009, 04:58:33 am
I have two good-ass sandwiches.

1.  Bagel, not toasted, split and both sides spread thickly with cream cheese, bottom half piled with smoked salmon, then plenty of wafer thin slices of red onion, a dollop of hossradish      cream, a tablespoon of capers.

2.  Thick slice of buttered multi-grain bread, lettuce, homemade mayo, cold Wiener schnitzel (This is crucial - it must be cold, or the lettuce will soften and the butter will melt.  This is not good-ass.), salt and pepper, top with second slice of buttered multi-grain.

Those both are indeed good ass sandwiches.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on November 17, 2009, 05:22:25 am
1.  Bagel, not toasted, split and both sides spread thickly with cream cheese, bottom half piled with smoked salmon, then plenty of wafer thin slices of red onion, a dollop of hossradish cream, a tablespoon of capers.

This must be consumed by me, and soon. This is a damn Good-Ass sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 17, 2009, 06:22:36 am
jalapeno bagel, toasted and buttered, with two slices of bacon, an over-hard egg, and a slice of tomato
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on November 17, 2009, 02:11:58 pm
Choop, man, I love you, but jalapeno bagel is a concept that makes me want to claw my own tongue out.

The problem with JS's number 1 good-ass sandwich is that you can get a bagel anywhere nowadays but a good bagel almost nowhere. They are just round bread. If not round bread containing sacrileges like jalapeno or blueberry.

Yes, I am a traditionalist. You gotta problem with that?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: TedStriker on November 17, 2009, 03:56:44 pm
Adventures in sandwiching continued apace this weekend in Houston.  An LSU frat boy is the unlikely brains behind a hole in the wall po-boy joint (http://bbscajuncafe.com/) in one of my favorite neighborhoods; the usual Cajun staples (fried shrimp, oysters, etc) are all superb, but on Sunday I was feeling a little more...good-ass. Enter the Heart Attack: strips of corn-battered fried catgiraffe, topped with sauteed peppers and onions, lettuce y tomato, a pinkish remmoulade, and two over-medium fried eggs topped with queso, wedged into a cracklingly good French baguette.

If you're not salivating right now, then...well, damn, dude, I've done everything I can.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 17, 2009, 03:58:53 pm
I am so damn mad, because my roommate always complains about bagels in St Louis, and I always thought he was just being a jerk.

Now I have had bagels from brooklyn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagel_Bakers_Local_338), and I can never go back to bagels that are just round bread.

I just don't get why people can't make their bagels more like good bagels. Softer and puffier. So good.
I always imagined it was some hard-to-describe difference... not "they are completely different in texture."



Another good-ass sandwich I had recently was a roast beef sandwich with cheddar, mustard and mayo, on dutch crunch roll. This was in San Francisco, and I ate it on a bench in a park in Chinatown. It was very satisfying, and for some reason I think about this sandwich a lot.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on November 17, 2009, 04:14:02 pm
I just don't get why people can't make their bagels more like good bagels. Softer and puffier. So good.
I always imagined it was some hard-to-describe difference... not "they are completely different in texture."

Supposedly the key is NY city water. This is the same reason that even crappy Sbarro pizza in NY is better than the best pizza anywhere else.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 17, 2009, 04:15:37 pm
but I don't see how that makes sense! How can water make that big of a difference! and why hasn't someone made a billion dollars by figuring out how to replicated it!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on November 17, 2009, 04:18:27 pm
catgiraffe

I CAN HAS ACACIA LEEVES???
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on November 17, 2009, 04:26:15 pm
but I don't see how that makes sense! How can water make that big of a difference! and why hasn't someone made a billion dollars by figuring out how to replicated it!

I dunno but that's the prevailing theory. That crappy Food Detectives show on Food Network tried to test it in a double-blind experiment. They flew water in from NY, LA, and Chicago and had 3 identical pizzas made by some famous NY pizza chef. All four judges correctly identified the one made with NY water.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 17, 2009, 05:21:40 pm
oh, poor wombles. it must suck for you, being all food prescriptivist in a world of food descriptivists.

does it matter if i've had a jalapeno bagel from h&h at broadway and 80th?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on November 17, 2009, 05:31:56 pm
does it matter if i've had a jalapeno bagel from h&h at broadway and 80th?

No, that makes it WORSE. The barbarians have invaded.

And inev, the reason no one has made a million dollars figuring out how to make NY bagels elsewhere is because there isn't a market for it because most people don't have the sense to prefer NY bagels. They are too chewy for the average American, who is a person who is too lazy to chew the crust of good crusty bread, or cut their meat off the bone, or cook a vegetable from scratch. Oh god, don't get me started. I just found out that you can buy microwavable pasta for people who are too lazy to boil water, and I haven't yet recovered.

Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 17, 2009, 05:49:00 pm
why can't a bagel have jalapeno.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: rowboat on November 17, 2009, 06:10:08 pm
Round these parts we have FrosTop  (http://www.frostop.com/text/welcome.html)root beer.  It's magnificent.
When I lived in New Orleans there was a Frostop just down the street from my apartment. They had the ten-foot-tall mug of root beer out front and all that. I left about a year before Katrina. My then-roommates stayed behind and fought through it. When the rain stopped they must've taken over a hundred pictures around town. One of them was of the huge Frostop mug broken and lying across Claiborne Ave. I didn't go there too often or anything, but somehow that was the picture that impacted me the most. For some reason that was the image that drove home the realness of it all.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on November 17, 2009, 11:56:27 pm
I once heard a Jewish guy on NPR describing eating a bagel as the Tribe's version of penance, and New York style bagels have made more sense to me since.  There needs to be an element of suffering in the experience, or its not really a bagel.

Also, lox is required. 

CUNT lox is anathema.

I'm not fond of the sweet ones as a rule, but other than that pretty much anything goes.  Bacon, cheese & egg are delicious, and spiced sausage patties are a good alternative. 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jacques_schitt on November 18, 2009, 12:31:11 am
In Australia, we don't have a huge tradition of bagel-eating.  Bagels are more of a novelty for the wider community here.  In fact, the closest most non-Jewish Australians have probably come to eating a bagel would be dipping a Burns & Ricker Garlic-flavoured Bagel Chip into their French onion dip.

I was lucky enough as a youngster to try a proper boiled bagel at a kosher bakery in a suburb of Melbourne with a large Jewish population.  It was plain, with a chewy texture and a hint of sweetness.  You can imagine my disappointment when I tried to replicate the experience years later at a cafe advertising bagels on the menu, and was served a roll made from regular bread dough shaped into a ring.  This is what passes as an authentic bagel here.  You can get lucky sometimes when a sandwich bar goes to the trouble of buying in boiled bagels, but that's the exception to the rule here. 

As for adding flavourings......DON"T MUCK WITH THE BAGEL!  I even have issues with the addition of poppy seeds, but that's probably unwarranted.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 18, 2009, 01:45:28 am
Ash, you are leading a sinful life.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 18, 2009, 02:31:47 am
Supposedly the key is NY city water. This is the same reason that even crappy Sbarro pizza in NY is better than the best pizza anywhere else.

Actually I think it's the Kool-Aid they put in the water.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 18, 2009, 03:22:08 am
I do my bagels as follows:

Garlic bagel with CUNT cream cheese.

I am such as a bagel heathen, which makes sense, as I grew up in one of the polar opposites of New York City and then moved to another place that is the polar opposite in a different way.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Ben-San on November 18, 2009, 09:15:25 pm
In Australia, we don't have a huge tradition of bagel-eating.  Bagels are more of a novelty for the wider community here.  In fact, the closest most non-Jewish Australians have probably come to eating a bagel would be dipping a Burns & Ricker Garlic-flavoured Bagel Chip into their French onion dip.

I was lucky enough as a youngster to try a proper boiled bagel at a kosher bakery in a suburb of Melbourne with a large Jewish population.  It was plain, with a chewy texture and a hint of sweetness.  You can imagine my disappointment when I tried to replicate the experience years later at a cafe advertising bagels on the menu, and was served a roll made from regular bread dough shaped into a ring.  This is what passes as an authentic bagel here.  You can get lucky sometimes when a sandwich bar goes to the trouble of buying in boiled bagels, but that's the exception to the rule here. 

As for adding flavourings......DON"T MUCK WITH THE BAGEL!  I even have issues with the addition of poppy seeds, but that's probably unwarranted.

Canned for bagel-related Truths. While both poppyseed and onion bagels have traditional grounding, I prefer a plain straightforward bagel for regular consumption. However, the onion bagel is the world's perfect substrate for a chicken-salad sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 20, 2009, 05:02:03 pm
I just went shopping and bought nothing but sandwich makins.  I spent 40 dollars.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Mr Trout on November 20, 2009, 05:06:44 pm
That is going to be a truly epic sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on November 20, 2009, 05:12:58 pm
Truly a dagwood for the ages
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on November 21, 2009, 12:24:41 am
Just had: bologna, munster cheese, and Dijon mustard on rye. The mustard and munster added a lot.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 21, 2009, 04:26:54 am
Oh no, it's not for one sandwich this is gonna be sandwiches for a week or more.  It's been a long time since I had a sandwich based diet.  I got turkey breast, cooked ham, wieners and loaf.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 22, 2009, 03:52:02 am
strange sammich fixins:

olive loaf
pimento loaf
cheese loaf
macaroni and cheese loaf
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 22, 2009, 03:55:34 am
Loaf it baby!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 27, 2009, 10:50:54 pm
turkey.
mustard.
yeast roll.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 28, 2009, 12:03:46 am
turkey.
mustard. Mayo
yeast roll.

FTFY
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 28, 2009, 12:46:07 am
well paul if you're gonna put mayo on it, you best gussy up that blandwich with some black pepper and maybe a pickle and cheese.

i just wish we hadn't run out of gravy. i might have to fake some gravy for an open-mouthed turkey&dressing sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 28, 2009, 01:06:36 am
blandwich

I like that... a lot.  And I am knocking myself in the head all V8 style, I could have had gravy.

Oh well, I'm making leftover turkey spaghetti.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on November 28, 2009, 01:09:05 am
Open face sandwiches with gravy were the reason turkey was invented
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 29, 2009, 05:20:58 am
well paul if you're gonna put mayo on it, you best gussy up that blandwich with some black pepper and maybe a pickle and cheese.

i just wish we hadn't run out of gravy. i might have to fake some gravy for an open-mouthed turkey&dressing sandwich.
Open-mouthed sandwiches can bite you back.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: lprkn on November 29, 2009, 06:55:17 am
Or give you sloppy...make-outs.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 29, 2009, 05:11:52 pm
Oh well, I'm making leftover turkey spaghetti.

THE BEST.  No one believes me when I extol the virtues of turkey spaghetti!  Delish.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on November 30, 2009, 03:13:51 am
Its kind of amazing that we have a 14 page thread on sandwiches.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on November 30, 2009, 03:17:49 am
SANDWICHES!!! 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 30, 2009, 04:05:55 am
good-ass sandwiches cannot be beat.

a friend of mine makes a good-ass banh mi, with pork meatballs. it is a hell of a production to create but omgnum is it worth it.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on November 30, 2009, 04:08:00 am
a friend of mine makes a good-ass banh mi, with pork meatballs. it is a hell of a production to create but omgnum is it worth it.

Sounds amazing. Are the pork meatballs handmade and everything?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on November 30, 2009, 04:08:34 am
everything is from scratch
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 11, 2010, 08:57:42 pm
Hey AW, where the hell are you again?  Kentucky, sure, but where?

You don't have to answer that, but what I'm asking is, do you know from Lexington?  If so, tell this guy where to get a good-ass sandwich.
http://www.tylercowensethnicdiningguide.com/2010/03/lexington_kentucky_bleg.php
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on March 11, 2010, 09:04:21 pm
Hey AW, where the hell are you again?  Kentucky, sure, but where?

You don't have to answer that, but what I'm asking is, do you know from Lexington?  If so, tell this guy where to get a good-ass sandwich.
http://www.tylercowensethnicdiningguide.com/2010/03/lexington_kentucky_bleg.php

Yeah, I actually saw that. I'm not far from Lexington -- only about 30 miles from work -- but I don't spend any time there.  I was interested in seeing the response so I could try the places out myself.

I do know there are some good sushi places in Lexington.  There's a fairly large Japanese contingent in the area owing to the Toyota plant in Georgetown.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on March 11, 2010, 09:28:58 pm
Fuck Lexington, you want a good ass sandwich you go to Louisville (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3304429604/).
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on March 11, 2010, 09:53:12 pm
You know what is also a good-ass sandwich?  When the higher-ups at your work have a meeting, and they order in incredible food, and there's a bunch left over that they put in the lunch room.  I have often eaten a good-ass sandwich due to such causes.  Free = good.  A tasty new flavour combination I would never think to order = good.  The leavings are often the non-standard food stuffs people wont eat due to familiarity and habit, and I am nothing if not a culinary adventurer  I once had a curried chicken salad sandwich with mother-fuckin cashews in it due to such a circumstance.  It was so fine, I almost cried.  I ate so many sandwich halfs that day. 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on March 11, 2010, 10:00:12 pm
I'm sure I would never choose that sandwich either of my own volition, but it does sound quite tasty.  A rather toothsome delicacy.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on March 12, 2010, 04:54:41 am
Arguments about the true nature of the Cuban sandwich aside, this is kind of true.  There was an amateur cooking competition show on Food Network a while back, Ultimate Recipe Showdown I think it was called.  And in the roast chicken episode, snotty-ass Andrew Knowlton was raving about this woman's Peruvian-style roast chicken with fried yuca.  "Really original," he said.  And I shouted at the TV, "I could take you to a half-dozen places within 30 minutes drive of here that serve the same thing!!"  Not that Peruvian chicken isn't awesome, because it is.  But just because YOU haven't had it before doesn't make it "original."

Speaking of exotic-sounding sandwiches, I'd like a banh mi right about now.

So I was reading this thread from the beginning for some sandwich ideas, but now all I want is some chicharron and fried yuca. Looks like I'll be making a trip down to Provo this weekend, because there is a really good Salvadoran place down there. It's now one of only three reasons that I'll visit Provo for.

And a banh mi would totally rule right now too. But I'll make do with a chicken salad sandwich, and it will be good. Earlier today I had a really decent falafel sandwich, so I've met my exotic-ish sandwich quota for the week.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 12, 2010, 05:30:51 am
Oh man, there is this place in Denver that makes amazing falafels.

So good.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on March 12, 2010, 03:28:07 pm
Oh man, The Falafel Place is a local joint that rocks the hell out of falafels, to the point where there is no reason to go anywhere else for a falafel, unless you want to be disappointed.  One of the owners, Ami, is basically like Gordan Ramsey, if Gordan Ramsey was Israeli.  The dude makes killer food, and he yells at customers and staff alike, but always in an well intended way.  It's like lunch and a show.  Also, to my surprise this restaurant has  over 330 groupies, (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=212833282468) to which I've added myself.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on July 09, 2010, 11:02:25 pm
onion roll, asiago cheese, lots of mayo, "american BBQ" chicken breast, dil pickle spear, 2% milk.

YES.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 10, 2010, 12:35:39 am
How is the milk applied?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 10, 2010, 12:44:11 am
How is the milk applied?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on July 10, 2010, 01:18:21 am
oh.

the pickle is on the side, and the milk is in a tall, cold glass.

I should have gotten pickle slices, but it was a spear.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 10, 2010, 02:02:02 am
I like to wear a little milk when I'm eating a sammich.

I eat almost entirely vegan, so that rules out most of the good-ass sandwiches.

I've made barbecued seitan sandwiches twice in the last week or so--including for my mom's birthday. It is kind of a pain, especially since I was making the seitan, but very tasty.

Basically the seitan is fried once, then soaked in barbecue sauce, then fried again.  Then put on a hoagie-type bun with veganaise, lettuce, and more barbecue sauce.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 12, 2010, 03:36:54 pm
I am seriously jonesing for a Philly cheesesteak.  It sucks because I am trying to bring lunch from home all this week, both to save money and to use up food we have in the house.  But, dammit.  Cheesesteak.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on July 12, 2010, 07:36:05 pm
I think I'm going to go make a grilled cheese sandwich RIGHT NOW, all knucklehead-days style, with gooey processed American cheese and pasty store-bought honey wheat bread and MARGARINE instead of butter, the kind that comes in a plastic tub.

And it's gonna be GRELICIOUS

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Edit: It went like this:

Done yet? Nope. Done yet? Nope. Done yet? Nope. Sure, son, I'd be glad to get you some juice. [Smoke starts pouring from the frying pan] FUCK FUCK FUCK!

Oh, yeah. That's a classic.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on July 12, 2010, 08:43:17 pm
Were you using a classing grill?  I have one that is about 90 years old with no edges to catch the goo, so unattended the cheese actually evacuates the sandwich and gushes all over the counter.  I can end up with a smoking, blackish wafer of bread with trace essences of cheese if I leave the thing unattended.

Also, Jorge, seitan is something I used to really enjoy in my vegan days, but I never tried it in a sandwich.  Does the stuff you make have that stringy chicken-like texture?  Also good for a vegan sammich - hot grilled portabello with hella baba ganoush between a hearty multi grain bread, with sun-dried tomatoes diced and mix with veganaise all up in there and some crisp lettuce to bring it home.  I'd throw on some goat cheese being a non-vegan, but it's good without from what I recall of my vegan days.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on July 12, 2010, 08:54:09 pm
I have a panini press (no toaster oven, but a panini press...) and I sometimes forget my sandwich, only to find two pieces of bread, surrounded by melted cheese.

also if I put too much mustard/mayo, the meat slides right out of the sandwich and onto the griddle part as well.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on July 12, 2010, 08:59:18 pm
Were you using a classing grill?  I have one that is about 90 years old with no edges to catch the goo, so unattended the cheese actually evacuates the sandwich and gushes all over the counter.  I can end up with a smoking, blackish wafer of bread with trace essences of cheese if I leave the thing unattended.


Nah, just a regular fry pan. I do have a ceramic stove that is completely nuclear, I only had the thing set to five and it went from "the butter's just starting to melt" to "charcoal-coated" in the amount of time it took me to re-fill my son's Buzz Lightyear cup with apple juice. I've been here 10 months and I'm still not quite used to it.

I really miss my old range; when we re-model the kitchen in 10 years (that's the soonest I can imagine being able to afford it) I really want to have gas again. Electric just doesn't feel right to me, even though it's what I grew up with -- I like the nuance of cooking with a flame.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on July 12, 2010, 09:00:16 pm
okay the trick to a really good pulled pork sandwich is to sauce the pork in a bowl and then put a giant knot of sauced pork on the bun, with an extra dash of sauce between that pork bundle and a huge scoop of cole slaw. add pickles if you want.

to make the pork just get a bottle of mojo sauce and a pork shoulder and crock-pot that bastard with the whole bottle for like six hours.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 12, 2010, 11:50:46 pm
Also, Jorge, seitan is something I used to really enjoy in my vegan days, but I never tried it in a sandwich.  Does the stuff you make have that stringy chicken-like texture?  Also good for a vegan sammich - hot grilled portabello with hella baba ganoush between a hearty multi grain bread, with sun-dried tomatoes diced and mix with veganaise all up in there and some crisp lettuce to bring it home.  I'd throw on some goat cheese being a non-vegan, but it's good without from what I recall of my vegan days.
The portabello sounds good (and easy). I will look into that.

The seitan recipe comes out more steaky than chicken-like.

In fact, today I made "cheese steak" sandwiches. The recipe was here http://www.mercyforanimals.org/vegkit08web.pdf (page 23)
Except that I used Daiya cheese, which is tapioca-based. The soy cheese is kind of nasty.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on July 13, 2010, 12:44:06 am
okay the trick to a really good pulled pork sandwich is to sauce the pork in a bowl and then put a giant knot of sauced pork on the bun, with an extra dash of sauce between that pork bundle and a huge scoop of cole slaw. add pickles if you want.

to make the pork just get a bottle of mojo sauce and a pork shoulder and crock-pot that bastard with the whole bottle for like six hours.

I just got hell of big compliments today on my pork shoulder.  I cooked three boston butts for one our paralegals for a birthday party.  14 hours over charcoal and hickory, baby!  Brined the night before.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on July 13, 2010, 01:27:55 am
August gets a can for pork done right.

Amen.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on July 13, 2010, 01:57:36 am
well sure yeah if you're gonna smoke pork then yup you done it right, the not-even-a-recipe i recapped in a sentence is the easy way out for when you're planning to spend the day on the town
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Mr Trout on July 13, 2010, 02:42:01 am
Dammit I wish I had any space outside for a grill. Thems the cost of city living I guess.

Slow cooker needs to be my next cooking-related purchase. I used to have one, but I think I lost it in a breakup.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on July 13, 2010, 05:22:13 pm
Grill on the roof?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on July 13, 2010, 06:37:11 pm
OK, enough with these sandwiches that need to be grilled and fried and panini'd and brined the night before. Anyone can make a good ass sandwich that way. I need a sandwich that I can put in a plastic bag and it won't make me want to cry when I eat it two hours later. Who's up for that challenge?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on July 13, 2010, 07:12:12 pm
Not so much a recipe as a tip from AB -- If sogginess is a problem, use an oil-based spread (ie mayo, butter/margarine).  This protects the bread from the moisture in the stuffings.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on July 13, 2010, 07:26:05 pm
NO NO NO you're doing it wrong.

build the sandwich in parallel from the outside in, excepting condiments: mayo (and salt and pepper) on one side, mustard on the other. meat on both sides, seasoned by the condiments. cheese on both sides, then garden between. join and devour. extra points for a center slice of bread with mayo and mustard opposite the ends.

for pb&j just peeb up both pieces of bread before you jay.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 13, 2010, 07:29:31 pm
(you save your pickle brine and do up your own eggs RIGHT)

'round these parts, folks make their own brine for pickled eggs and they add beets, as well.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Doc on July 14, 2010, 02:30:16 am
My daily sandwich for a while now has been: 9-grain bread, tasty cheese, lettuce (whatever I've got but not iceberg), tomato, roast beef or ham and Branston pickle (http://www.britishdelights.com/branston.asp). It is this last ingredient that makes it a true culinary treat, I've had a friend who ate a sandwich composed of the pickle and nothing else and she was well satiated.

The order is to put the pickle directly on the bread (which seems like madness from a soggy point of view but is necessary to properly disperse it's flavour and it's not that soggy anyway) then meat, tomato, lettuce and cheese. This ensures the tomato (the most dangerously soggy element) is surrounded by the waterproof layers of meat and cheese and will not destroy my delicious bread.
Is so good.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 14, 2010, 02:40:01 am
Oat nut bread or some other multigrain with a lot of chunkity texture. Don't skimp on the mayo, we'll all be dead soon either way.

The best deli turkey you can get your hands on. Lettuce, red onions. Sharpest cheddar cheese in a twenty-mile radius, if it can etch glass that means it is good cheddar cheese.

Mung bean sprouts if available. Avocado if it is good and fresh, mediocre avocado ain't worth it.

I guess you could slip in some bacon, if that's your thing, but I'd consider it sort of gilding the lilly.

Slap it together. Eat. Eat like three of them. Salt and vinegar chips on the side if your diet allows them.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on July 14, 2010, 02:46:10 am
I am scared to eat salt and vinegar chips ever since the time I ate so many that I got blisters on my lips.

they're so damn good, though.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on July 14, 2010, 02:50:08 am
Do you have Salt and Pepper chips in the US?  If find that they are a wonderful foil to the burnt lips of the Salt and Vinegar variety, and go well with almost any sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 14, 2010, 03:10:27 am
An acceptable-if-rare substitute for salt-and-vinegar chips would be ketchup-flavoured chips.

Or, like, REALLY REALLY THICK crinkle cut chips with ketchup drizzled all over them, preferably from a diner-style squirt bottle. Thickness to hold up to the weight of the 'chup.*

Some kind of vinegar-y chip to accompany.

*(Heinz, of course.)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on July 14, 2010, 03:20:26 am
Pickled eggs in beet juice and ketchup flavored chips. So you guys' strategy is instead of coming up with a sandwich I will want to eat, to destroy my appetite completely so I don't want a sandwich at all.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 14, 2010, 03:24:11 am
There's a chip vendor--Herr's, I think?--that has cheddar and hossradish chips now.  Holy CRAP.  They are good.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 14, 2010, 03:29:01 am
There's a chip vendor--Herr's, I think?--that has cheddar and hossradish chips now.  Holy CRAP.  They are good.

hell and fuck yes!  herrs kettle cooked chips are the shit.  there is an excellent mesquite BBQ flavor that fuckin rocks, too.  also, grandma gibbles kettle cooked chips.

oh man, i need to quit thinking about junk foods.  i have gained too much weight since i got laid off last year.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 14, 2010, 03:33:32 am
Actually, wombala, I could see a salad where sliced beet-pickled eggs and ketchup-chips were interesting co-garnishes.

Sort of a meta-take on a chef's salad with some grilled chopped chicken instead of ham. Relatively bitter greens, some radish, some carrot, some cheese.

Nice bitey balsamic vingy thingie on top. Chips as the stand-in for the crouton.

Sorta an uber-version of the early MacDonalds attempts at having a salad on the menu.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on July 14, 2010, 12:41:27 pm
Actually, wombala, I could see a salad where sliced beet-pickled eggs and ketchup-chips were interesting co-garnishes.

Sort of a meta-take on a chef's salad with some grilled chopped chicken instead of ham. Relatively bitter greens, some radish, some carrot, some cheese.

Nice bitey balsamic vingy thingie on top. Chips as the stand-in for the crouton.

Sorta an uber-version of the early MacDonalds attempts at having a salad on the menu.

Thanks. Now I think I'll have to fast for the whole day.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on July 14, 2010, 01:33:53 pm
Oh god, beet-pickled eggs are the absolute worst part about Easter. My mom made them every year and always put them in the same container with the same non-air-tight lid so after a day everything in the fridge tasted like beet-pickled eggs. This was even worse than the traditional sauerkraut dinner on New Year's day because that stank only lasted for one day. Beet-pickled eggs are around for at least a week. So nasty.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on July 14, 2010, 01:59:56 pm
Pedro used to call "salt and vinegar" flavored chips, "douche chips."

I am completely addicted to the Parmesan and Garlic kettle chips from Target.

That is all.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on July 14, 2010, 06:21:18 pm
When pickling eggs, do you hardboil them first, or does the pickling process make a raw egg firm and edible?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 14, 2010, 06:26:39 pm
You hardboil 'em first, yes.

I don't want to imagine the kind of chemicals it would take to hardboil an egg without any heat.

Pour some of that on some turtles, you'd end up with ninjas of some kind.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on July 15, 2010, 03:48:24 pm
Alls you need to make curds & whey is milk and vinegar.  The curds keep longer than raw milk.  Point being, it doesn't take powerful chemicals to preserve foodstuff.  Dehydrating and denaturing the proteins, with heat, acid, base, or salt are the fundamental ideas behind pickling, fermenting, corning, jerking, etc.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Doc on July 15, 2010, 03:50:41 pm
Yeah, you can definitely use acids to basically achieve the same effect as frying an egg so I don't see why leeching a raw egg in vinegar for long enough wouldn't have the same effect.
I don't know if you'd want the egg afterwards though.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on July 15, 2010, 10:16:55 pm
I barely like them cooked - so yeah, I'm in agreement.

Anyone mentioning balut gets smacked.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on July 16, 2010, 02:45:19 pm
cute, vaguely related side story:

I was over at my friend's house and her little boy and my dog where having fun, as my friend and I stepped inside the house.  Then the boy and dog joined us and the boy had something gooey on his hands, which he held out to my dog, and the dog sort of cringed.  There was sulfurous odor.  "What's on your hands?" my friend asks her son.  "The Easter Bunny!" he replies.  "What" she asks "What's on your hands?"  "The Easter Bunny!"  Me:  "Eggs?  Did you find eggs that fell from a nest?"  "Yeah!"  he says with a laugh.  This was followed by an intense session of hand washing by mom and child.  The boy comes out of the room, and I say "I bet you never though the Easter bunny would leave you fart-scented eggs!" (which he finds hilarious).
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on September 03, 2010, 03:20:36 am
Made good-ass sandwiches tonight. A variation on the BLT -- here's how to build it, from the top down:

Sliced bread of choice, toasted (I used honey wheat)
Fresh spinach
salt and pepper to taste
Tomato, marinated for 30 minutes in a mixture of olive oil, dried basil, and dried parsley (I ate mine without)
Hot crispy bacon
fresh mozzarella, sliced
Sliced bread of choice, toasted

What I should have done is put the mozzarella on and stuck it back in the oven for 90 seconds after the initial toasting; my sandwich lacked the all-important meltiness factor. But it was still a good-ass sandwich, even without the tomato (which I'm sure is the centerpiece of the 'wich for those who can stand them).

I was inspired by the cover recipe on August 2007's Bon Appetit, which I discovered recently when I unboxed my collection of back issues and shelved them in my dining room. The original recipe (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Crispy-Pancetta-Burrata-and-Tomato-Sandwiches-239108) requires some ingredients that are hard to find, not in the budget, or both, so I made this "poor man's" version and it turned out fantastic.

A+, would cook again.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 03, 2010, 01:53:14 pm
I was inspired by the cover recipe on August 2007's Bon Appetit, which I discovered recently when I unboxed my collection of back issues and shelved them in my dining room. The original recipe (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Crispy-Pancetta-Burrata-and-Tomato-Sandwiches-239108) requires some ingredients that are hard to find, not in the budget, or both, so I made this "poor man's" version and it turned out fantastic.

They can be a bit over the top at times with the budget.  I actually made this good-ass sandwich (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spanish-Grilled-Cheese-Sandwiches-with-Manchego-and-Jamon-Serrano-351554), but with both the ham and the cheese going for $14/pound and up, it damn well better be.  I also made this one (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Manchego-Cheese-and-Garlic-Dogs-353786), in which you put $14/pound imported Spanish cheese on HOT DOGS (I think it was from the same hunk of cheese as the serrano ham sandwiches).
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: TripperDay on September 16, 2010, 10:22:26 pm
How long are sun-dried tomatoes good for? I've had some for almost a year (opened and refrigerated) and I'm thinking about a meatloaf and sun dried tomato sandwich with extra meatloaf glaze for moisture and sandwich condiment.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on September 16, 2010, 10:31:46 pm
This is your place to go for all such questions:
http://www.stilltasty.com/ (http://www.stilltasty.com/)

They are a bit discouraging on your particular issue, I am afraid.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on September 16, 2010, 10:36:14 pm
This is your place to go for all such questions:
http://www.stilltasty.com/ (http://www.stilltasty.com/)

They are a bit discouraging on your particular issue, I am afraid.

If that isn't worth a can, well . . .

Well, too bad, cause it's getting a can all the same.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on September 17, 2010, 12:28:58 am
They are a bit discouraging on your particular issue, I am afraid.

That's a shame, because that sandwich sounds super tasty. Visiting the grandparents tonight, crossing my fingers that meatloaf is on the menu.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on September 17, 2010, 05:57:21 am
For bacon bits it's 13 years (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3225268577/).
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on October 21, 2010, 06:52:59 pm
wheat bread, honey-roasted turkey (only 2 slices), 3 slices of Gouda, mayo, pickles.

It is mostly a gouda and pickle sandwich, and it is so good.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on July 06, 2011, 12:58:16 am
So my new goal is to only go out to lunch a maximum of once a week, and I just bought a bunch of sandwich stuff. Just really basic shit, nothing fancier than this grainy honey garlic mustard (that I already had), but I just had one and homemade sandwiches are so good. So I say we get some more sandwich ideas posted here.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on July 06, 2011, 01:13:35 am
Fuckin' Muenster and smoky Gouda, goddamn right.

We get this like 12- or 15- grain bread or some shit like that sometimes. I really like it, but my wife thinks it's too sweet. It is kinda sweet. It works for some stuff. It's made by "Dave's Killer Bread" - do you guys get that? He's kind of overstating the case with the name, though - he did a bunch of time for a pile of felonies (mostly drug raps and armed robbery), but he never killed anyone.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 06, 2011, 01:16:47 am
"dave's ex-con bread"
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on July 06, 2011, 01:22:35 am
Have I mentioned a chicken salad made with a grainy mustard, dill relish, some mayo and a hard boiled egg chopped up in it? Put it on some of your favourite grainy/crunchy bread and some dill havarti. Or Muenster. Or smokey Gouda.

Have a bunch a little dill pickles on the side.

This is basically my standby chicken salad recipe, minus the egg and cheese, and instead of the relish I usually dice some pickles and sometimes some jalapenos and mix it in. Also sometimes a favorite hot sauce. But I am going to try it with the egg, that's a good idea. And maybe the cheese.

We have Dave's Killer Bread out here but not everywhere. I've liked what I've had.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on July 06, 2011, 07:12:03 pm
I woman I dated for a couple years once sang in a band Dave played in. She said he was a really nice guy and a talented guitarist.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on July 06, 2011, 08:51:13 pm
There seems to be a interconnection between ex-cons and bakers for some reason.  That is a thing here too.  I always figured that it was because most of the larger bakeries in the city are nestled right in the same area as the missions, shelters and sex trade areas of the city.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 06, 2011, 09:50:56 pm
Oh man, that is totally why in places were there isn't a huge drug trade you ALWAYS buy cocaine from waiters.  I bet at least 75% of waiters at cool places either have cocaine on them or could get it within a day.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on July 07, 2011, 02:18:28 am
Oh man, that is totally why in places were there isn't a huge drug trade you ALWAYS buy cocaine from waiters.  I bet at least 75% of waiters at cool places either have cocaine on them or could get it within a day.

If by day you mean fifteen minutes.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on July 07, 2011, 02:33:42 am
Maybe things have changed since I waited tables (in 1998-99), or maybe it's regional, but I wouldn't have counted on my table-waiting buddies for coke. Weed, X, or acid, sure, but either I was too sheltered to know what was really going on or coke is (was?) too expensive for the average wait staff in my town. 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on July 07, 2011, 05:52:29 am
I have always heard that waiters do coke, but my friends who are waiters do not seem to do coke.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 07, 2011, 03:33:31 pm
Back to the topic of good-ass sandwiches, yesterday I got lunch from the "Rolling Ficelle" truck in DC.  A ficelle is like a baguette, only skinnier. I got one with roast beef, some kinda cheese, lettuce and tomato, and a hossyradish sauce.  That was a good-ass sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on July 07, 2011, 03:41:56 pm
I'm sure it's not pronounced that way, but when I read "ficelle"  I thought fecal-y, which was a turn off for me.  Same as Quizno's which is a sub chain, I always thought queasy-no's and didn't eat there for years.  Turned out they are actually alright for a chain restaurant. 

In other news: this thread always makes me hungry for a quality sandwich, and in my local, there just aren't any good deli's in the immediate vacinity.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on July 07, 2011, 05:13:10 pm
When I was in Chicago recently, I had my previous Best Sandwich Of All Time for the second time.

This time... egh. Not that impressive. I don't know what changed. They moved locations and now it is all this really douchey Trendy Organic Techno feel that I hate.

But something was definitely way off about the sandwich. Last time the elements were in perfect harmony:

Serrano ham
Manchego Cheese
some kind of sweet fruit spread
fennel
pretzel bread
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on July 07, 2011, 05:45:29 pm
Back to the topic of drugs and the food service industry, I bet waiters do a lot more meth than coke these days?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on July 07, 2011, 05:56:40 pm
That's probably true. When I was waiting tables, LSD was more popular around here, but I think it's been replaced by meth.

Pot is still a perennial favorite, but that's barely even a drug.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 07, 2011, 06:17:16 pm
I'm sure it's not pronounced that way, but when I read "ficelle"  I thought fecal-y, which was a turn off for me.

I don't think you're the only one. At the bottom of the menu on the truck, it says "It's pronounced 'fi-SELL.'"
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on July 07, 2011, 06:28:55 pm
Quote
Pot is still a perennial favorite, but that's barely even a drug.

I want them to do anti-drug campaigns with this message.

"hey guys, you're teenagers. Use pot and drink alcohol in moderation, OK? None of that other stuff."
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on July 07, 2011, 08:22:16 pm
I don't think you're the only one. At the bottom of the menu on the truck, it says "It's pronounced 'fi-SELL.'"

That's pretty funny.  There's only so many times a day one could tolerate having someone ask for "a fecal," and I like imagining the person who put that little note up had reach said limit several times.

In the realm of over asked questions that make one feel icky: back in the day, when working at the sculpture garden of eroticized pre-teen adolescents (http://www.manitobaphotos.com/mol.htm) there was only so many times I could diplomatically answer questions about why there are so many sculptures of erotocized pre-teen girls without basically wanting to shrivel up inside.  
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: smick on July 07, 2011, 09:10:43 pm
There seems to be a interconnection between ex-cons and bakers for some reason.  That is a thing here too.  I always figured that it was because most of the larger bakeries in the city are nestled right in the same area as the missions, shelters and sex trade areas of the city.

It's because a dude who can walk into any kitchen in the world and make his own damn staff of life is COMPLETELY RAW.

(In Dave's instance, it was a family business.   Also, I cannot eat any other bullshit sandwich slice bread.   Dave has ruined me.)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 07, 2011, 10:09:03 pm
I don't have Dave's, but is Rudi's everywhere?  It is pretty boss.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on July 07, 2011, 10:32:53 pm
That's probably true. When I was waiting tables, LSD was more popular around here, but I think it's been replaced by meth.

Pot is still a perennial favorite, but that's barely even a drug.

I think coke lends itself to waiting tables a little more than some of that other stuff - at least it would for me. The few times I tried to work on acid, shit got complicated, and even the last few times I tried to work after getting stoned it was kind of a bitch (but then again, I was doing very number-intensive shit).
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on July 07, 2011, 10:47:38 pm
Meth would work, and it's cheap, and fuck*ng everywhere. Yet, it's one of the few drugs I've never tried.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on July 07, 2011, 11:03:32 pm
After a recovering meth addict showed me a video of a point of meth being left on a steak over night and eating right through the steak, I decided meth is on my never, ever, never list. 

My theory - you should be able to sprinkle what ever you plan to consume over a piece of meat and have it not burn a hole right through it.  That seems like a reasonable idea to me.

We had two youth we support at my work OD in as many weeks.  One is doing okay, although she is experiencing some drastic consequences, while the other is in a coma with no brain activity.  14 years old and brain dead.  That's garbage.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 07, 2011, 11:49:32 pm
After a recovering meth addict showed me a video of a point of meth being left on a steak over night and eating right through the steak, I decided meth is on my never, ever, never list. 

My theory - you should be able to sprinkle what ever you plan to consume over a piece of meat and have it not burn a hole right through it.  That seems like a reasonable idea to me.

We had two youth we support at my work OD in as many weeks.  One is doing okay, although she is experiencing some drastic consequences, while the other is in a coma with no brain activity.  14 years old and brain dead.  That's garbage.

the thing about that is we are made of meat.  also, those billboards that show a lady aging 40 years in a matter of months of meth use scared me sufficiently.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 08, 2011, 03:16:14 am
I have never tried uppers because I am DAMN SURE I would get addicted even faster than most.

I'd have a stretch of a few months where I would be prolific and confident and thin and it would basically be the best me I've ever been.

And then I would quickly start dying.

I have looked in this crystal ball.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 08, 2011, 05:42:57 am
Be the best you you can be!  It is better to burn out.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on July 08, 2011, 02:10:28 pm
Sure. Go ahead and blow out young. Anything after 30 is garbage time anyways.

More Social Security left for us.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on July 08, 2011, 02:25:37 pm
More Social Security left for us.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! You keep telling yourself that!

Meth wasn't as compelling for me as other drugs have been. I got into it and it never really had the draw that the other stuff I came across did. Opium, on the other hand - well, it's a good thing I never knew of a steady source for that.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on July 08, 2011, 02:29:02 pm
That's the deal - having access makes all the difference.  These days, I would have to basically contact a stranger if I wanted to go down that road.  It's not my deal anymore - I'm more into spending my spare cash in expensive sushi these days.  Total DINK.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on July 08, 2011, 02:36:30 pm
That's the deal - having access makes all the difference.  These days, I would have to basically contact a stranger if I wanted to go down that road.  It's not my deal anymore - I'm more into spending my spare cash in expensive sushi these days.  Total DINK.

Well, sushi and shale.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on July 08, 2011, 03:25:30 pm
I don't even like being drunk any more, I like to be in better control of my faculties than that, thanks.

Back in my ill-spent youth I was OK with tokin' but I was too scared to try anything else. That probably worked out well for me, since I tend to get hooked on things I enjoy (video games, knitting, message boards, etc.)

Thanks, DARE!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on July 08, 2011, 04:48:28 pm
That's the deal - having access makes all the difference.  These days, I would have to basically contact a stranger if I wanted to go down that road.  It's not my deal anymore - I'm more into spending my spare cash in expensive sushi these days.  Total DINK.

Shouldn't that be DINKY?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on July 08, 2011, 04:50:35 pm
Shouldn't that be DINKY?

Double-income, no-kid, yurt?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on July 08, 2011, 05:20:13 pm
my lady and I spend a lot of time talking about how we love getting high, and don't know where to get pot from.

Although, I think I am OK with a lifestyle where I never have to directly exchange money for drugs. Occasional sharing with friends is OK. Does that make me a moocher?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on July 08, 2011, 05:38:09 pm
my lady and I spend a lot of time talking about how we love getting high, and don't know where to get pot from.

Although, I think I am OK with a lifestyle where I never have to directly exchange money for drugs. Occasional sharing with friends is OK. Does that make me a moocher?

Yes. And I am ok with a lifestyle where I never have to exchange money for anything.

More on point, I had a chicken salad sandwich today (on Oroweat double fiber bread). It was good, but I think it should have had a bit more red onion.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 08, 2011, 07:51:38 pm
dude!  youre using a dell...
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on July 08, 2011, 08:03:47 pm
This crispy pork shoulder confit sandwich I just ate was pretty bleh.

This place used to have a meatloaf sandwich with coca cola glaze that made me want to die it was so good. Discontinued for the summer. My parents declared their club sandwich to be the best sandwich they had ever eaten. They also started talking about how there isn't anywhere like this in Charlotte.

My parents so frequently put me in the position of feeling like a douchebag. There is no way to say "there are, just not in the places you hang out" without feeling a little weird. And why? It is not a shock or an insult that my parents do not spend their time looking for weird hipster coffee shops.


My old Dell made me hate Dell, but maybe I would feel differently if there were a staff of people assigned to fixing it when it broke, like your job probably has.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on July 08, 2011, 09:18:19 pm
The Ash-style meatloaf sandwich sounds great. Theirs was served with greens with some sort of vinegary dressing that I really like.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on July 08, 2011, 09:22:53 pm
My parents so frequently put me in the position of feeling like a douchebag. There is no way to say "there are, just not in the places you hang out" without feeling a little weird. And why? It is not a shock or an insult that my parents do not spend their time looking for weird hipster coffee shops.

If you can say "yes there is, you should try Bob's Hipster Sandwich Joint on Main Street, they have a sandwich just like this" and sound excited like you are sharing a great thing, that's cool. But if all you can say is something vague about how they have to look harder, then better to shut up

Damn, you all make me want to go to the good hipster sandwich shop for dinner but it's too long a drive in the current state of downpour.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on July 08, 2011, 09:27:47 pm
I just woke up from a 20-minute power nap with ideas for menu items I want to serve when I open Mama's Diner & Laundromat near campus.

I blame this thread.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on July 08, 2011, 11:27:02 pm
Damn, you all make me want to go to the good hipster sandwich shop for dinner but it's too long a drive in the current state of downpour.

Oh man I love me a good drive in the rain. fuck*ng desert.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on July 09, 2011, 01:13:23 am
I was in Buffalo NY in a driving, pounding rainstorm trying to drive to a hotel, and I thought I was going to die. I'd never experienced rain like that before. Serious rain is crazy.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on July 09, 2011, 02:02:47 am
I ordered a falafel and small smoothie from this fuck*ng hipster organic place today for lunch.  Twenty dollars!  I thought, well so long as it tastes good I'll be okay with it.  Nope.  It was dry and flavourless.  Fuck that shit.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 09, 2011, 02:47:41 am
Weather in the northern parts of NY ain't nothing to fuck with, 'Bu.

The Earth up there is so bored it is trying to kill itself with weather and if the people go too, it don't care.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on July 09, 2011, 04:29:24 am
I ordered a falafel and small smoothie from this fuck*ng hipster organic place today for lunch.  Twenty dollars!  I thought, well so long as  it tastes good I'll be okay with it.  Nope.  It was try and flavourless.  Fuck that shit.

Falafel just doesn't do it for me.  It's like eating a hush puppy sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 09, 2011, 05:25:41 am
i feel sorry for the people youll be around once those ingredients get activated.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 09, 2011, 06:05:34 am
I don't even like being drunk any more, I like to be in better control of my faculties than that, thanks.

I'm sorry, but I just have to say something.  I do drugs mainly because some of them, my favorites at least, leave you in better control of your facilities, at least while high (cocaine) or keep your facilities similar but make everything better (cannabis).  Opioids kinda do, but in a way that is safer (and much, much better than) alcohol.  Mainly you just sit around and watch movies about climbing or doze, not go get in car wrecks or something.  Psychedelics do, but in a way were you kind of know what is happening, at least after the first time.  And anyways, it is way more rewarding than alcohol.  Everyone should take 5 grams of shrooms with a few people they are close with in desolate nature once a year.  It is a great way to evaluate where you stand in the world and figure out if you're on the right track.  When I take acid I usually just walk around town and visualize myself walking as if in a movie.

Anyways, I don't really like alcohol either, it is too numbing.  But I do like things that show you a new perspective on the world or help you relax in a fairly harmless way.  Alcohol doesn't do that for me, so I generally don't use it, but y'all can, that's cool.


Anyways, back to sandwiches...

I ordered a falafel and small smoothie from this fuck*ng hipster organic place today for lunch.  Twenty dollars!  I thought, well so long as  it tastes good I'll be okay with it.  Nope.  It was try and flavourless.  Fuck that shit.

Man, I get the best falafel in the world for $3.75.  It is awesome and no one is every really there.  The girl there knows me (us) well and we don't even have to order.

As a vegan it is important to know the best falafel place in town.  They also have delicious hummus, but that cost like $4.50, so I usually don't get it.  It's not that I am always broke, well, I wasn't in the past, but I feel it unreasonable for an appetizer to cost more than my meal.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on July 09, 2011, 12:03:38 pm
I ordered a falafel and small smoothie from this fuck*ng hipster organic place today for lunch.  Twenty dollars! 

WTF. Was in fried in panda oil or something? Was it one of those deals where the chickpeas were consumed by a small mammal and shitted out and collected by hand? That's fuck*ng insane.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on July 09, 2011, 12:38:21 pm
I know.  The worst part is that during the lunch, after realizing how bad the food was,  I checked my voice mail and had a work-related message that was devastating.  So I'm eating shitty, ridiculously over priced food and listening to a voice message about someone's life being basically destroyed.  The implications of the message were that I would have several calls to make, including breaking really bad news to someone.  Honestly, if I hadn't checked my voice mail I would probably have at least asked from some dressing for my salad, but at that point I just needed to finish up and get somewhere private to make the sad phone calls. 

Even worse perhaps is that there is a great falafel place about a 10 minute drive from where I was that would have charge me a quarter of the price, and the only reason I didn't go there was that they only take cash and I didn't have any on me and didn't want to make the extra stop.  Of course I didn't know the place I stopped was so expensive or shitty.  Oh well, lesson learned.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on July 09, 2011, 02:39:53 pm
As a vegan it is important to know the best falafel place in town.

When my vegan friend lived in the U-District of Seattle, which is basically a vegan mecca, we'd always go out for falafel when I'd visit. I always thought that if for some reason I became vegan I'd eat falafel at least 4 days a week. And peanut butter the other 3 days.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on July 09, 2011, 03:32:01 pm
Maybe I've never had good falafel.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on July 09, 2011, 03:48:45 pm

[Stuff about drugs]


Keith, I get this. I do. I have smoked enough pot to know that drugs =/= alcohol and they all have different kinds of effects. I mean, hell, I've been pretty fucked up on prescription hydrocodone fairly recently (it doesn't take much for me). But you of all people must understand that the same drugs have different effects on different people, and even the mild stuff that is supposed to give you a nice mellow makes me feel ways that I don't particularly care for.

I'm glad you found some stuff that works for you and you're able to manage your recreational drug use in a healthy way. But it's really not for everyone; some people don't like roller coasters, and I don't like being chemically altered.

I don't even take my prescription painkillers for migraines unless they last more than 48 hours, because I'd rather be in pain than be high. It just doesn't feel good anymore. It used to, certainly, but after I had my second kid, my body chemistry changed, and most things just make me feel sick.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on July 09, 2011, 05:18:13 pm
I'm sorry, but I just have to say something.  I do drugs mainly because some of them, my favorites at least, leave you in better control of your facilities, at least while high (cocaine) or keep your facilities similar but make everything better (cannabis).  Opioids kinda do, but in a way that is safer (and much, much better than) alcohol.  Mainly you just sit around and watch movies about climbing or doze, not go get in car wrecks or something.  Psychedelics do, but in a way were you kind of know what is happening, at least after the first time.  And anyways, it is way more rewarding than alcohol.  Everyone should take 5 grams of shrooms with a few people they are close with in desolate nature once a year.  It is a great way to evaluate where you stand in the world and figure out if you're on the right track.  When I take acid I usually just walk around town and visualize myself walking as if in a movie.

Anyways, I don't really like alcohol either, it is too numbing.  But I do like things that show you a new perspective on the world or help you relax in a fairly harmless way.  Alcohol doesn't do that for me, so I generally don't use it, but y'all can, that's cool.

Keith, I would really love to discuss this sort of thing with you some time, but I am not going to do it on a public forum.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on July 11, 2011, 02:42:45 pm
Yeah, we went down this road before. Keith, I'd like to say here that I appreciate that you pick your spots when discussing this stuff.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on July 12, 2011, 03:17:43 am
I will also agree that this is the sort of thing I will not agree with in public.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on July 12, 2011, 04:04:33 pm
I had a roast beef sandwich yesterday, but it wasn't great.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on July 12, 2011, 04:58:41 pm
I will be preparing an awesome sandwich for lunch today:  broiled wild atlantic salmon salmon, sliced avocado, field greens, honey dijon in a whole wheat pita.  I will also likely add almonds or walnuts if there are some in the cupboard.  I am looking forward to this.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 12, 2011, 07:01:13 pm
Are burritos sandwiches?  Pizza?   

I say yes to both.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on July 12, 2011, 08:05:34 pm
No and no. To be a sandwich, you have to have something *sandwiched* between two other things.

Non-traditional sandwiches: Oreo (sandwich) cookies, ice cream sandwiches, quesedillas, burgers, bagels with fillling. Pitas count, but only if they're split and the stuff is stuffed inside. None of this "pita wrap" garbage.

Things that are not sandwiches: Pizza, burritos, tacos, gyros, or anything else where the bread or bread substitute is wrapped around the filling.

My conundrum: Hot Pockets. Sandwiches, wraps, or just plain disgusting?

What about hot dogs, brats on a bun, etc? Are those "sandwiched" in the bun, or are they "wrapped" in it? Or should they be in an altogether different category, since the meatstuffs are cylindrical in nature? Need the filling be relatively flat to constitute a sandwich?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 12, 2011, 08:06:22 pm
Are burritos sandwiches?  Pizza?   

Are you nuts?  Absolutely not.

I ate here today.  It was awesome. A "flatbread wrap" does walk a line between a sandwich and not a sandwich.
http://www.eatsauca.com/

(JL posted ahead of me.)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on July 12, 2011, 09:48:03 pm
I think a hotdog is nestled in the bun.

I've been having a lot of run of the mill good ass sandwiches lately.  Either sliced ham or turkey on white bread with mayo sharp cheddar and tomatoes.  Occasionally I will squirt a little Goulden's spicy brown mustard on.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 12, 2011, 09:52:07 pm
No and no. To be a sandwich, you have to have something *sandwiched* between two other things.

Non-traditional sandwiches: Oreo (sandwich) cookies, ice cream sandwiches, quesedillas, burgers, bagels with fillling. Pitas count, but only if they're split and the stuff is stuffed inside. None of this "pita wrap" garbage.

Things that are not sandwiches: Pizza, burritos, tacos, gyros, or anything else where the bread or bread substitute is wrapped around the filling.

My conundrum: Hot Pockets. Sandwiches, wraps, or just plain disgusting?

What about hot dogs, brats on a bun, etc? Are those "sandwiched" in the bun, or are they "wrapped" in it? Or should they be in an altogether different category, since the meatstuffs are cylindrical in nature? Need the filling be relatively flat to constitute a sandwich?

Are you nuts?  Absolutely not.

I ate here today.  It was awesome. A "flatbread wrap" does walk a line between a sandwich and not a sandwich.
http://www.eatsauca.com/

(JL posted ahead of me.)

But, it is just different regions take on the same idea.  "hey lets make some delicious shit I can walk around and eat without getting dirty"
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on July 12, 2011, 09:52:34 pm
No and no. To be a sandwich, you have to have something *sandwiched* between two other things.

Then how can there be such a thing as an open-faced sandwich?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on July 12, 2011, 09:55:29 pm
But, it is just different regions take on the same idea.  "hey lets make some delicious shit I can walk around and eat without getting dirty"

Keith, do you know the difference between a taco and a tostada?

Then how can there be such a thing as an open-faced sandwich?

You take a sandwich and you open it up.  It's pretty simple if you think about it.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on July 12, 2011, 10:15:41 pm
JL, what if you have blind-bake two pizza crusts, turn one upside-down, then put normal pizza stuff in between them? Is that a pizza sandwich?

Then how can there be such a thing as an open-faced sandwich?

That reminds me of these two comics:
http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2010/5/16/how-to-suffer-for-your-beliefs.html
http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2010/5/23/how-to-agree-on-a-definition.html
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 12, 2011, 10:19:59 pm
Are burritos sandwiches?  Pizza?

(http://timesonline.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/03/20/baconcheesepizzaburger.jpg)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: smick on July 12, 2011, 10:25:22 pm
My conundrum: Hot Pockets. Sandwiches, wraps, or just plain disgusting?

They're firmly in the turnover, pierogi or dumpling family.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on July 12, 2011, 11:56:02 pm
JL, what if you have blind-bake two pizza crusts, turn one upside-down, then put normal pizza stuff in between them? Is that a pizza sandwich?

I believe that would be more like a calzone.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on July 13, 2011, 12:31:59 am

That reminds me of these two comics:
http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2010/5/16/how-to-suffer-for-your-beliefs.html
http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2010/5/23/how-to-agree-on-a-definition.html

Mmm, bready meat pile!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on July 13, 2011, 12:32:35 am
I believe that would be more like a calzone.

That would be nothing like a calzone, actually.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on July 13, 2011, 02:56:18 am
That would be nothing like a calzone, actually.

Can item a be more like item b, and still nothing like it?

I think it can.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on July 13, 2011, 03:59:43 am
You take a sandwich and you open it up.  It's pretty simple if you think about it.

Agreed. It's a sandwich that has been modified from it's pure sandwich form; hence the required modifier.

I believe that would be more like a calzone.

This is what I thought, too. Paul and I are on the wavelength.

They do make a pizza like this, I can't remember which pizza chain does it, but it's basically a pizza on top of another pizza, and it has a special name. I think that it is sandwich-like in its stuffedness, but still not a sandwich because (a) it's a pizza and (b) it's not intended to be picked up whole and eaten by a single person.

They're firmly in the turnover, pierogi or dumpling family.

Yes! Turnovers. Excellent.

But, it is just different regions take on the same idea.  "hey lets make some delicious shit I can walk around and eat without getting dirty"

Yes, that's true. But we have different names for those regional foods -- "wraps" and the like. You don't call a bowl of Pad Thai "spaghetti" just because they both have noodles and sauce, do you?

I think a hotdog is nestled in the bun.

This is gold. Nestled! I love it. But what do we call that category of food? Nests? "Hot dog or sausage on a bun" is awful unwieldy.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Doc on July 13, 2011, 04:07:19 am
still not a sandwich because (a) it's a pizza and (b) it's not intended to be picked up whole and eaten by a single person.

But you wouldn't pick up and eat a 10 foot sub by yourself, you'd cut it up and share it with your friends (we would hope) does that stop it being a sandwich?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on July 13, 2011, 04:17:43 am
But you wouldn't pick up and eat a 10 foot sub by yourself, you'd cut it up and share it with your friends (we would hope) does that stop it being a sandwich?

I knew that was going to come up. Because it's a sandwich to begin with, not a pizza that's been half-assedly sandwich-ized, that's why.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on July 13, 2011, 08:04:27 am
That would be nothing like a calzone, actually.

Are New Yorkers crazy serious about calzones, too?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on August 03, 2011, 08:06:27 pm
I like how this started with "let's talk about delicious sandwiches" and is now at "Philistine".
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on August 03, 2011, 08:44:24 pm
I like how this started with "let's talk about delicious sandwiches" and is now at "Philistine".

Look, I'm just saying, if you put beans in your soft taco it's a burrito.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on August 03, 2011, 08:58:54 pm
Corollary to "you can put your socks in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits".
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on August 05, 2011, 03:07:55 pm
It is on a lovely summer Friday afternoon that I find myself questioning if there is any way I can find to convince myself it is reasonable to take a half-hour drive from my office to get the best Shawarma available.  That would total an hour of driving if you count the return trip, all for the best quality pita and meat combo.  How far would you go for the best lunch?  How much time would you spend?  I think there is a correlation between the quality of the food and one's williness to go to significant effort to obtain it.  I recently had a discussion with a friend who is moving to Quebec about how I am seriously condiring a future road trip to visit him, but on as an excuse to go to this one place that serves the perfect poutine....

In regard to today's lunch quandry - the thought I am having is that I have two meetings in the area of the pita place on Tuesday and that I need to be grown up and wait til then.  Then again, I just ate a bag of Cheezies at my desk for "breakfast" so adult decision making doesn't seem to be an issue for me today.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 05, 2011, 04:32:08 pm
cold-salad-days are what make special-lunch-days special.  thats also a metaphor for life, in general.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 05, 2011, 07:18:12 pm
I would totally go a half-hour each way for a sufficiently good sandwich. In fact, I have already done this. If I am working in the city, and I don't have much on the agenda, I will schlep up to the good-ass Philly-style hoagie place.  Because it is awesome.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on August 05, 2011, 07:44:30 pm
Well, I opted for the "work through lunch so I can leave an hour early" route instead.  No sandwich today at all.  It has been a super productive day though - and I'm off in 45mins.  W00t.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on August 05, 2011, 09:15:35 pm
I've been seriously considering driving 10 hours (RT) to get my boyhood sandwich (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/sets/72157603368540413/) so, you know, I believe in the power of a good ass sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on August 06, 2011, 04:41:31 am
Of course it's home of the Muffy.  Of course it is.  Because it is clearly a perfect place.  Therefore: home of the Muffy.  I hate olives though, so... I would just order something else, which is sort of a sin at such a place, but on the list of things I hope never to eat, olives are pretty close to human flesh on the scale of bleh for me.

Also, it's interesting to see a big bag of pre-packaged potato chips served at a restaurant.  That's something I've never seem in my neck of the woods.  It's fries all the way typically.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 06, 2011, 05:04:24 am
I'mma have to vote against olives too.

Vile little buggers.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 06, 2011, 05:05:56 am
im with them.  olives are satans poop.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on August 06, 2011, 05:09:51 am
Yeah, having chewed on my own fingers enough times, I know that human flesh is more palatable than olives to me, the only thing that places it higher on the threshold is the ethical issues really.  When it comes to olives - appearance, texture, flavour and odour all disgust me.  I don't know that there are any other foods that hit the wrong notes for me on all four categories.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on August 06, 2011, 06:43:41 am
I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.  You're wrong.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on August 06, 2011, 01:04:58 pm
Are all you haters talking mostly black olives? I don't hate black olives but generally won't eat them plain.

But there are better olives out there! Don't give up!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on August 06, 2011, 03:41:56 pm
Olives rock!

That is all.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on August 06, 2011, 06:24:09 pm
Plus, what food is better to stick on all ten fingers and then slorp them off one at a time? Try that with a dang corn kernel I dares you.

bugles?

(i'm a fan of the olive, so long as they aren't from a jar - or worse, a can)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on August 10, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
Olives are awesome:

(http://community.landofwineandfood.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/duskyziggy/martini_5F00_up_5F00_olives.jpg)

QED.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on August 10, 2011, 07:10:20 pm
So I did end up at the lunch place I was talking about across town on Tuesday.  It's a shawarma place and just as I pulled up, the place looked deserted and I thought "oh no! Are they closed for Ramadan?"  Thankfully no.  I sort of wanted the shawarma to be not as good as I remembered, that way I would feel less inclined to make such a trip, but sadly it was still the best lunch around.  Tender, moist chicken breast, sauce prefect, veggies fresh, little home made pickles...  Damn I wish it wasn't so good.   The only other shawarma place in the city is walking distance from my place, and it's good... just not great.  Not "drive an hour just to eat it" great.  Damn I wish that shawarma wasn't so good.

It was a little weird eating at a shawarma place during Ramadan (in my mind, not because of anything the staff did).  I know that pretty much all of the staff are practicing muslims, and that means they're fasting while preparing and serving food.  To me, tasting food while making it is a basic precept of good cookery most times, but in this case, they've been making it for years, so what I was served was pretty much flawless.  I was thinking that really, in many cases the cooking staff doesn't actually eat the food they prepare regardless of circumstance (although they might taste it to adjust seasoning).  Still though, I was glad to see a sign indicating they close early during Ramadan.  For me it would be torture to be around such fantastic food and not be able to eat it, and then to have to wait even longer to get to where your family is feasting it up.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on August 15, 2011, 03:58:43 am
my lady and I spend a lot of time talking about how we love getting high, and don't know where to get pot from.

I missed this first time around. This is kind of mind-blowing to me. You're in your early to mid 20s, right? Live in a pretty decent town, hang out with musicians and the like, and you can't find weed?

Anyway, this week I am going to eat a sandwich every day for lunch. At least two of the days will be this sandwich place near work I don't go to nearly often enough. And tomorrow after work I'm going to find some Dave's Killer Bread and fixins. Sandwich week.

Also, yesterday I had a meatloaf sandwich at my favorite little diner nearby and it was really good. It had this really good chili sauce.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on August 15, 2011, 04:23:36 pm
Current favorite addition to a sandwich: fresh, ripe avocado slices.  Ideally paired with lettuce and tomato on grilled salmon, but also welcome on any other form of seafood or chicken.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on August 16, 2011, 12:03:10 am
Dave's murderous bread!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on August 16, 2011, 12:18:24 am
I really want to try that Dave's bread.  I don't think they have it here.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on August 16, 2011, 12:22:02 am
Come to Portland. I have a spare room and you won't pay for a drink the whole time. Plus you can play the Les Paul + Marshall combo. (Open offer to all y'all.)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on August 16, 2011, 01:41:55 am
I really want to try that Dave's bread.  I don't think they have it here.

Apparently you can't get it east of the Intermountain West. I'd invite you back to Utah but you'd be crazy to pass up on that Portland invitation. Plus it's, you know, Utah.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on August 16, 2011, 08:34:18 am
Seriously - any of you feel like traveling, you'd just be paying for gas or a plane ticket.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 16, 2011, 11:01:26 am
Seriously - any of you feel like traveling, you'd just be paying for gas or a plane ticket.

if i could afford it, and i was done with school(one more week), i totally would take you up.  im interested in scouting places of habitation and doing CoL research and shit.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on August 16, 2011, 01:33:40 pm
Come to Portland. I have a spare room and you won't pay for a drink the whole time. Plus you can play the Les Paul + Marshall combo. (Open offer to all y'all.)

I would love to assault your Les Paul while eating a killer sandwich.

Apparently you can't get it east of the Intermountain West. I'd invite you back to Utah but you'd be crazy to pass up on that Portland invitation. Plus it's, you know, Utah.

As you know, Utah is on the way to Portland, if traveling by car.  So I take it you have the Dave's bread in your area?  Do you also have a Les Paul and a Marshall?

If the good lord is willing I will be heading that way next June.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on August 16, 2011, 03:38:32 pm
Someday we're going to do this, but not this year. The kids make it tough, as does our complete lack of money for anything discretionary.

We keep saying that, some year, we're going to do PAX in Seattle, which would put us within day-trip distance to Portland, but that'll likely be a while. Not 'til the kids are old enough to go with us, and probably a few years after that, since we'll probably let them cut their teeth on PAX East in Boston first.

But when we go, we'll take a whole week (or more) and visit Pedro's cousins in Utah, maybe go to Vegas (I've never been), etc. No reason not to stop by Portland for a night or two. That would be rad.

'Til then, though, Nabu, you're just going to have to come East.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on August 16, 2011, 05:19:53 pm
That's going to happen, but it's not looking good this year for upheaval-related reasons.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on August 16, 2011, 07:22:20 pm
I've been eating a lot of turkey sandwiches this week.  I roasted a turkey.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on August 16, 2011, 07:29:27 pm
I would love to assault your Les Paul while eating a killer sandwich.

Images of Paul using a sandwich as some horrible guitar pick were instantly evoked by this post.  Hella mayo/grainy mustard smeared on the guitar, bits of shredded lettuce and mangled tomato and meat bits hanging off the strings.  Paul's mouth half open with a partially chewed bite falling out, a demonic expression in his eyes.  Also the look I imagine on Nabu's face is not good- he's horrified and enraged, but also frozen with shock.

Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on August 16, 2011, 07:32:02 pm
I had that look just from reading your post.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on August 16, 2011, 07:32:20 pm
Vivid!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on August 16, 2011, 07:46:19 pm
The thing is, I know Paul would only do such a thing if you asked him to.  It's not the sort of cruel injustice he would enact on a beautiful instrument or fine sandwich unless the act was consensual by all parties.  If it was consensual though - Paul is all about pleasing.  That's what I think anyway.  Seven-kinky!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on August 17, 2011, 12:27:17 am
As you know, Utah is on the way to Portland, if traveling by car.  So I take it you have the Dave's bread in your area?

Yes. Smaller selection, but yes.

Quote
Do you also have a Les Paul and a Marshall?

No. I have a Peavey Predator and a barely working tiny Peavey amp. I know, I know. But the guitar has a really cool Built to Spill sticker!

I've been eating a lot of turkey sandwiches this week.  I roasted a turkey.

I love chicken salad sandwiches, but for the ease of it, and because it's cheaper than buying a roasted chicken for the most part, I use canned chicken. But I'm gonna roast a chicken sometime soon, and make roasted chicken salad. I will be roasting a chicken for the first time in my life. I know, I know.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 17, 2011, 12:51:35 pm
I've been eating a lot of turkey sandwiches this week.  I roasted a turkey.

I did a turkey on the grill a couple weeks ago, but it was disappointing--I followed a different recipe than usual, and it didn't call for adding wood chips, so it didn't have that smoky flavor that turkey picks up so well.  I have one more turkey in the freezer, and on Labor Day weekend I intend to smoke the hell out of it.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on August 17, 2011, 12:58:47 pm
Paul is all about pleasing.

Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 18, 2011, 02:05:36 pm
i call it The Pain-in-the-Ass Breakfast Sandwich:

i scramble and fry an egg(because thats how i prefer my eggs.  you can fry yours in the way of your people.).  when its done, set it aside.  then, i prepare to make a regular grilled cheese(butter the bread and have cheese ready).  then, while the pan is still good and warm, i lay a slice of bread, butterside-down.  next i lay a slice of cheese, the egg, another slice of cheese, and the last bread, butter side-up.  after all that BS, i fry it up like a basic grilled cheese. 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on October 18, 2011, 02:39:49 pm
That sounds grelicious. I might try that tomorrow morning.

I have been forcing myself to eat breakfast, even though I hate it. The most I can manage is one egg and one slice of toast with a glass of milk. Lately I have been bribing myself to eat by swapping white cow's milk for chocolate almond milk, and putting the egg in a nest.

Y'all know what I mean, right?

(http://everythingeggs.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/food-network-mag-april-101.jpg?w=213&h=270)

One morning, instead of an egg in a nest, I scrambled it with some chives and rolled it in a tortilla with some sour cream and shredded mexican cheese. Not a sandwich, but still yummy.

Maybe we need a breakfast thread up in here?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on October 18, 2011, 02:50:06 pm
coffee, oj, english muffin, canteloupe w/ salt. easy, healthy-ish, tasty.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on October 18, 2011, 03:00:47 pm
chives!

There are certain foods that my store does not have that it should have. People LOVE chives! Come on.

Yesterday I finally had the right sandwich from St Louis's favorite deli, Blues City Deli. I think it may have even made me enjoy provel cheese. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provel_cheese)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on October 18, 2011, 03:12:14 pm
Probably the worst thing you can do to sabotage healthy eating habits is skip breakfast. Skipping meals in general is bad, but breakfast in particular. I am not crazy about most breakfast foods, but you know, there isn't a law. If you don't want to eat eggs for breakfast, the chickens aren't going to picket your house. If you want to eat a turkey sandwich for breakfast, no one is going to arrest you.

But, JL, one egg and toast and milk is plenty, why do you think you should be forcing yourself to eat more? Breakfast should not be skipped but it doesn't have to be a five course banquet either.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on October 18, 2011, 03:13:26 pm
The smell of food makes me nauseated unless I've been awake for a couple of hours. And by then it's lunch time.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on October 18, 2011, 03:37:22 pm
These days I eat a lot of cereal. Alternating between Cracklin' Oat Bran and various sugar cereals my mom wouldn't let me have. I also frequently eat breakfast for dinner. Or just breakfast sausages as the meat with normal dinner foods.

Oh, and the sandwich I had yesterday was the "Benton Park Po' Boy:" ham, turkey, roast beef, provel, pickle, onion, pepperoncini, sweet red pepper sauce. With a Cheerwine. The sweet red pepper sauce is really good.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on October 18, 2011, 04:09:37 pm
The smell of food makes me nauseated unless I've been awake for a couple of hours. And by then it's lunch time.

Yup.

When I'm at work, I gotta wait a little while and have coffee (and if I'm on nights, I get to eat spaghetti for breakfast oh boy). At home I wait like six hours. It isn't good.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on October 18, 2011, 04:47:17 pm
But, JL, one egg and toast and milk is plenty, why do you think you should be forcing yourself to eat more? Breakfast should not be skipped but it doesn't have to be a five course banquet either.


No, see. That is the amount I am forcing myself to eat. To me, that is a big breakfast. I would be perfectly happy with the milk by itself, or nothing at all. And I wait an hour after I get up to eat, that's the only way I can eat anything at all. I do love eggs, though; I'm more likely to eat breakfast if I have a quiet house, a fresh carton of eggs, and time to peruse facebook while I sop up yolks with my toast. But I would usually prefer to not eat anything until lunchtime.

However, skipping breakfast makes me do bad things, like scarf an entire bag of mini marshmallows at 11 AM.

Bad things.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on October 18, 2011, 05:13:41 pm
Yup. My standard egg-toast-and-milk is 270 calories, I shoot for a 300 calorie lunch and then have about a 200 calorie snack when my son gets home from school. That leaves me 500 - 800 calories for supper and bedtime snack combined; we eat at 6 PM because of the kids and it's by far my biggest meal of the day. I'm too busy to eat a large amount at once before then. And I have something small and tasty (popcorn, these days) as a relax & reward type of dealie after the kids are in bed.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on October 18, 2011, 05:46:13 pm
This (http://balancedbites.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/quakerOatmealSquares.jpg)
This, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEXzx-TINc) or in  a pinch
This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheerios)
... straight outta the box on the way to work.  Washed down with Diet Mountain Dew.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on October 18, 2011, 06:34:59 pm
(http://everythingeggs.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/food-network-mag-april-101.jpg?w=213&h=270)

Titty Toast (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/236084961/)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on October 18, 2011, 06:51:48 pm
Yes. I think we've talked about my no food after seven or so rule before. Wombles had a nice affirming science link for it the last time I brought it up.

Science!
http://snackerrific.com/snack-science-bedtime-snacks-really-are-more-fattening/1723 (http://snackerrific.com/snack-science-bedtime-snacks-really-are-more-fattening/1723)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 18, 2011, 07:14:17 pm
Titty Toast (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/236084961/)

It's called Tits in Toast yo.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on October 18, 2011, 07:20:35 pm
dang, my largest meal of the day is inevitably at 11pm. And then I eat ice cream.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on October 18, 2011, 07:40:13 pm
dang, my largest meal of the day is inevitably at 11pm. And then I eat ice cream.

That must be why you are so fat.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on October 18, 2011, 07:59:35 pm
yeah. None of my skinny jeans fit anymore. Which is a problem, because I am not exactly making New Jeans money right now. My girlfriend borrowed my one pair of non-skinny jeans, and said she will give them back once she has washed them.

So clearly the solution is to lose weight so my jeans fit.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on October 18, 2011, 08:07:43 pm
That'll happen on its own if you get just a little bit poorer.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on October 18, 2011, 08:20:24 pm
yeah. None of my skinny jeans fit anymore. Which is a problem, because I am not exactly making New Jeans money right now. My girlfriend borrowed my one pair of non-skinny jeans, and said she will give them back once she has washed them.

So clearly the solution is to lose weight so my jeans fit.

Standard reminder: the point of jeans is to be cheap and durable. I've never spent more than $30 on a pair, and that's only because I get the fancy red-tab ones not the cheaper ones they have at Target.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on October 18, 2011, 08:29:22 pm
Spoken like a dude whose ass does not bring all the hipster girls to the yard in his skinny levis.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on October 18, 2011, 08:38:28 pm
I bought my most-expensive-ever pair of jeans recently, they were $35 at Old Navy. I usually wait 'til they go on sale for $20 but I lost some weight and literally had not a single pair of jeans that fit, so it was a denim emergency.

They make my ass look fantastic.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 18, 2011, 09:39:59 pm
I don't own jeans. I don't own a single article of denim clothing.

I zipped myself up in my jeans when I was two or three and have had an aversion to the feel of denim ever since.

IT IS SLACKS ALL THE WAY DOWN.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on October 19, 2011, 01:07:05 am
i scramble and fry an egg

I'm confused by this. How do you scramble and fry an egg? Or is this just the same as saying you scramble an egg, but my people combine the two actions into one word?

and putting the egg in a nest.

Aww yeah, I love egg in a nest! I grew up calling it a cowboy hat because that's what my cousins called it. My favorite local diner (http://leftforkgrill.ipower.com/breakfast.html) calls it Eggs in a Hole. That's boring. Now titty toast, that's something I could get on board with.

There are certain foods that my store does not have that it should have. People LOVE chives! Come on.

What kind of grocery store doesn't sell chives?

My breakfast: coffee and colgate.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 19, 2011, 01:15:31 am
I'm confused by this. How do you scramble and fry an egg? Or is this just the same as saying you scramble an egg, but my people combine the two actions into one word?

i improperly worded that, im sure.  i dont rite so good.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on October 19, 2011, 01:17:56 am
No, I seriously am not sure. I know the proper term for boiling an egg, but anything else I'm just guessing at.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on October 19, 2011, 01:55:25 am
my favorite way to cook an egg is to crack two in the pan, let 'em sizzle a bit while you salt & pepper, then break the yolks and mix it all up like you're scrambling, then just stop and let it gel into a single blob that'll flip.

i call it a framblet due to it being a fried scrambled omelet. super easy, super tasty. just top it with cholula and you're golden.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on October 19, 2011, 04:45:16 am
I'm all about a shirred egg.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 19, 2011, 06:18:42 am
This is a sammich thread and I do declare, I say I do declare bacon guacamole venison lettuce to be the supreme sammich. Bambi and that yappy thing from animal farm all together on a crispy sourdough.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on October 19, 2011, 12:24:44 pm
This is a sammich thread and I do declare, I say I do declare bacon guacamole venison lettuce to be the supreme sammich. Bambi and that yappy thing from animal farm all together on a crispy sourdough.

That does sound rather good.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on October 23, 2011, 03:10:52 am
Avocado, in any form, on a sammich, is always good.  The concept of venison and bacon together is something I've never tried, but I can just totally see how guac and bacon would add a nice touch of richness to the lean nature of venison.   This sandwich has my vote too.

Since the hubby's injury, I've been coming home at lunch to make him and I sandwiches everyday, and I've got to say, eating a sandwich with whole grain bread, supplemented with a generous portion of veg toppings including lettuce, tomato, cucumber and green pepper, along with a little slice of cheese plus which ever meat I've gotten from the deli that week has noticeably altered my digestive system for the better.  I used to eat a light breakfast and basically not eat lunch or grab random junk food and most days I'd have chronic heart burn, but somehow the addition of a hearty sandwich a day has balanced things out really well.  I've never been much of a sandwich girl before now.  I mean, I'd have the occasional sandwich, but not a daily, on the regular lunch.  Now that I've taken this turn toward nourishing my body and his, I'm really liking the ritual of it too.   
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 31, 2011, 12:42:01 am
i am not currently eating this sandwich, but it intrigues me:

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/inmyskittelz/hamsammich.jpg)

(courtesy of scanwiches (http://scanwiches.com/).)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on October 31, 2011, 12:46:47 am
I object to the whole concept of making a sandwich on a croissant.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 31, 2011, 01:00:56 am
I object to the whole concept of making a sandwich on a croissant.

you are a grown-ass woman.  use whatever bread your heart desires.

also, [cough]sandwich nazi[/cough]
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 31, 2011, 04:04:21 am
"Ham Apples!" sounds like a good fake swear.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on October 31, 2011, 07:52:11 am
I object to the whole concept of making a sandwich on a croissant.

I second that motion. 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 31, 2011, 11:39:05 am
do you guys even object to croissant breakfast sandwiches?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on October 31, 2011, 12:02:06 pm
I like croissant sandwiches, but in the way I like bagel sandwiches. They are a bit subversive, which appeals to me.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on October 31, 2011, 04:38:50 pm
I love both of those. They are delicious.

Unfortunately, Croissants are a lot more expensive than normal bread.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on October 31, 2011, 04:45:44 pm
do you guys even object to croissant breakfast sandwiches?

Yes! Because if an establishment wishes to offer ham and cheese croissants they should go to the trouble of doing it properly and baking the croissant with the ham and cheese inside. It is much tastier that way.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 31, 2011, 07:17:12 pm
To me, the breakfast sandwich is less a proper sandwich and more a handheld egg conveyance so... the rules are different.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on October 31, 2011, 09:29:01 pm
oh man, I hope some day in the future I can learn my grandmother's recipe for Chilean Sopaipillas. (http://www.squidoo.com/chilean-sopaipillas) It is traditional (at least, in my family) to make little ham and cheese sandwiches with them. Delicious. I do not think she uses pumpkin, she uses some other type of squash.

Considering my mom can't cook them, despite being an accomplished cook who has been eating these all her life, maybe they will take some practice. But then again, I get the impression my mom could cook the Sistine Chapel and my grandma would say "the perspective looks kind of weird, maybe it'll be better next time."
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 21, 2012, 09:11:40 am
another complicated-assed, yet good-assed breakfast sandwich (http://spoonforkbacon.com/2012/01/baked-egg-boats/)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on January 21, 2012, 03:46:35 pm
another complicated-assed, yet good-assed breakfast sandwich (http://spoonforkbacon.com/2012/01/baked-egg-boats/)

Shit just got real. I want those right now.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on January 21, 2012, 03:48:38 pm
Also, terrible site but what about these babies (http://www.bearskitchen.com/flaounes.htm)?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on January 21, 2012, 07:34:59 pm
Gimme dat egg boat.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on January 21, 2012, 07:37:49 pm
Heavily spiced pork chops, onions, fried eggs on rye with mayo.

So, so good.

I cooked the onions in the grease from the porkchop for extry deliciousness.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on January 21, 2012, 09:48:12 pm
Today I was suppose to get a sandwich with: crispy chicken breast, sauteed onion, ripe tomato, cheddar and mozzarella, bacon, lettuce and mayo on a cheese and onion bun.  They forgot the sauteed onion.  Is it wrong that although the sandwich was tasty that I was totally distractedly disappointing due to the one missing ingredient?  The restaurant was way too busy for me to bother asking for it to be corrected.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on February 09, 2012, 04:58:48 pm
Yesterday, I had a burger. The buns were two grilled cheese sandwiches, one with grilled onions and cheddar, and the other with jalapenos and pepper jack. It was worth it.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on February 09, 2012, 05:21:55 pm
Ouch.

Yesterday I had a hand made Northern Pike sandwich with cilantro remoulade, ripe tomatoes, crispy onions, lettuce and pickle.  So damn fine.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on February 09, 2012, 05:40:35 pm
Ouch.

Yesterday I had a hand made Northern Pike sandwich with cilantro remoulade, ripe tomatoes, crispy onions, lettuce and pickle.  So damn fine.

I'm calling bullshit on that sandwich.  Where are you gonna get vine ripe tomatoes in Winnipeg in February?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on February 09, 2012, 07:12:20 pm
They're grown in a hot house my friend.  That is were all our vine ripe tomatoes come from for half the year.  (To be clear, they are not good as a from-the-garden tomato.)    
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on February 10, 2012, 02:30:12 am
From a truck or a boat?

Having grown up on "ripe" tomatoes that traveled by truck or boat to a similar climate, I can tell you they are a delicious hybrid of cardboard and styrofoam.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on February 11, 2012, 07:03:22 am
Word.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on February 12, 2012, 12:32:38 am
Oh without a doubt.  I once briefly considered the 100 mile diet, but then I thought about living any lengthy period of my life without avocado and, no, I'm not gonna do that.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on February 13, 2012, 03:46:56 pm
Oh without a doubt.  I once briefly considered the 100 mile diet, but then I thought about living any lengthy period of my life without avocado and, no, I'm not gonna do that.

I . . . would have some difficulty with that diet. Mmmm! Snow and lichen!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on February 13, 2012, 04:51:56 pm
C'mon, there's gotta be some caribou that wander past at least once a year, right?  Plus mushroom-addled unicyclists when you're at home.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on February 15, 2012, 05:11:48 am
C'mon, there's gotta be some caribou that wander past at least once a year, right?  Plus mushroom-addled unicyclists when you're at home.

Buncha whiners ruined it for us wanting to kill those caribou.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on February 15, 2012, 04:13:51 pm
The 100 mile diet encourages eating food available within a 100 mile radius, not things that are just naturally occuring within that radius!  Cows, hogs and eggs are all farmed within that radius.  I'm interested in it from a ecological and grow-local persepective.  I never took on the challenge, but for the past two years I've grown enough potoatoes to last me almost all year.  It's hard to grow food for the whole year unless you like canned goods though, and I'm so not a fan of canned food and have no interest or time to can my own food.

On a more related topic, does anyone here get sick of sandwiches?  I hit a wall every once and a while and don't want to eat sandwiches at all.  I've recently hit that wall, so I'm off sandwiches for a while.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2012, 04:21:03 pm
On a more related topic, does anyone here get sick of sandwiches?  I hit a wall every once and a while and don't want to eat sandwiches at all.  I've recently hit that wall, so I'm off sandwiches for a while.

I hate eating sandwiches at home. I feel like I eat them at work for lunch all the time so whenever I have one at home it just feels redundant and wrong.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on February 15, 2012, 04:48:39 pm
I have been sick of sandwiches for years.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on February 15, 2012, 05:38:29 pm
I tend to struggle with making lunches to eat when not eating sandwiches, which unfortunatly leads to visits to the drive thru, and I want to avoid that as much as possible.

Here's some ideas I've come up with for non-sandwich lunches to avoid boredom:

carrots and celary and pita squares with hummus
salads - especially with nuts and other things added
Pitas stuffed with things
Left-overs

Any other suggestions?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on February 16, 2012, 02:17:18 am
I bring leftovers a lot. Tonight my plan is to make a big stir-fry and freeze little sandwich-sized portions for future lunches.

My coworkers might not love me on the days I eat black beans and rice for lunch. But that shit is delicious. I finally mastered my recipe, increasing my number of "can easily cook without recipe or planning" dishes to... two. My Mexican friend told me that his mom's secret is to add a tbsp of soy sauce. It salts the beans, and also gives them a pleasant savory flavor.
Maybe I should buy some epazote (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphania_ambrosioides) so I can eat it more often without getting banned from sleeping indoors.

Word of the day: Carminative. A carminative reduces the musical qualities of foods like beans.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on February 16, 2012, 02:58:55 am
The 100 mile diet encourages eating food available within a 100 mile radius, not things that are just naturally occuring within that radius!  Cows, hogs and eggs are all farmed within that radius.

I'm pretty sure they're not down with stuff that gets shipped in, though - and nothing grows here.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on February 16, 2012, 06:44:45 am
Actually, my sis had a hand in creating a version of the Canada's Food Guide that included options from the traditional Inuit diet, and it is possible.  There was a lot of weird little plant bits that I'd never heard of.  Dried green mossy bits.  Raw whale blubber was a thing...  Possible and desirable are two different things.  It was pretty neat to see a little picture of three cubes labeled "whale blubber" all drawn up in that standardized style the government uses for visual depictions, as a simple line drawing in black and white, with and equals sign and an explanation of it's equivalent on the food pyramid.  This version doesn't include the blubber, but does have some traditional diet things like sea weed, dandelion greens, berries, dried fruit, big wild game and ptarmigan. (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/myguide-monguide/index-eng.php)  It's come a long way from back when I was a kid.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on February 16, 2012, 08:47:32 am
I think in my country they are more cool with people eating wildlife in this biome if they are from here naturally, if you are picking up what I am laying down. I would certainly be willing to try it if it were an option. Right now, though, there is too much snow outside to get to foodstuffs in any way I know how to practice.

I do try to eat local when I am back home. It costs more but it is worth it to me.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on February 16, 2012, 03:09:43 pm
One of the nice things about living in my part of the country is that local food is usually also cheaper. We eat a lot of pork. Harris Teeter (our regional grocery chain) is really good about sourcing produce locally when it's in season, which is more convenient than going to the farmer's market.

And of course I am taking a stab at growing some of my own again this year. I had to order more carrot and snap pea seeds because a penis got into my shed and gnawed through the plastic baggie I had last year's leftovers in. Those are actually going in the ground in about 2 weeks.

Oh! Also I am sprouting mung beans in my kitchen. I have been watching the process with my kids and giving them lessons in Science. It's amazing how fast they grow.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on February 16, 2012, 04:42:43 pm
I had to order more carrot and snap pea seeds because a c*ck got into my shed and gnawed through the plastic baggie I had last year's leftovers in.

I've heard you really have to keep an eye on them things, but they aren't as bad as pu$$y dentata.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 16, 2012, 05:31:49 pm
pu$$y dentata.

that is my most frightening thought.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on February 16, 2012, 05:40:33 pm
Is pu$$y dentata barbed?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on February 16, 2012, 05:57:07 pm
Is pu$$y dentata barbed?

It better be if you want to take it giraffeing.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on February 17, 2012, 06:09:10 am
Sometimes I have a fear that I'm going to come here one day and every other word is going to be filtered.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on March 21, 2012, 02:59:51 am
There is a place here now where an entire section of the menu is devoted to grilled cheese. You can get a sandwich/soup/salad combo, pick 2 for $10 or pick 3 for $12, something like that. I had a spinach salad and a good-ass sandwich: brie, bacon, and apple chutney, grilled on buttery texas toast.

A+++ Would Nosh Again.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2012, 05:36:36 am
I am pretty sure I mentioned the deal about the double-burger with grilled-cheese sandwiches for buns.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 10, 2012, 11:38:29 am
i had an easter leftovers sangwich that was some sliced ham and (easter)egg salad on pumpernickel/rye bread.  happy breakfast to me.  my room is going to be a sulfurous poo-gas clam-bake when my guts begin to activate it.  hopefully i am asleep by then.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on April 10, 2012, 01:59:55 pm
Mmmm.  I have an easter ham sandwich for lunch today too.  Also easter potato salad and the last deviled egg.

The ham was great.  I took a spiral sliced ham from the K-Roger and smoked it over charcoal and hickory for four hours instead of heating it in the oven.  Tastyness!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on April 10, 2012, 02:48:34 pm
i had too much ham on a trip to south america a few years back and cannot eat it since, but that sounds pretty tasty auggie. yum, smoke!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on April 10, 2012, 07:11:48 pm
i had too much ham on a trip to south america a few years back and cannot eat it since!


If it tasted anything like this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3581869695/) I think I could eat it literally everyday.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on April 10, 2012, 07:26:17 pm
planning an expedition to local banh mi place. I love these sandwiches, but my American gut wants them to be about twice as big.

In Chicago we went to a place that advertised "vegan banh mi," and luckily The Lady was advised by a local that by "vegan" they mean "vegetable banh-mi, cooked in pork fat." Yikes. She got the one that our local friend guaranteed was actually vegetarian, and says the tofu tasted exactly like pork. So who knows what was going on there.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on April 26, 2012, 03:32:22 am
Have I shared the recipe for BSTMs before? Bacon, spinach, tomato, fresh mozzerella, grilled like a grilled cheese. It can also be made with prosciutto instead of bacon, if you're fancy, in which case it (obviously) becomes a PSTM. We had it for dinner tonight with some mediocre sweet potato fries, but the standout this time was the spinach. It was fresh from the local produce co-op (nothing like getting a box of veggies with the dirt still on 'em) and it was just so crisp and bitey I hardly noticed the bacon.

Fantastic.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 26, 2012, 01:25:27 pm
Have I shared the recipe for BSTMs before? Bacon, spinach, tomato, fresh mozzerella, grilled like a grilled cheese. It can also be made with prosciutto instead of bacon, if you're fancy, in which case it (obviously) becomes a PSTM. We had it for dinner tonight with some mediocre sweet potato fries, but the standout this time was the spinach. It was fresh from the local produce co-op (nothing like getting a box of veggies with the dirt still on 'em) and it was just so crisp and bitey I hardly noticed the bacon.

Fantastic.

DO WANT
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on April 26, 2012, 05:48:25 pm
planning an expedition to local banh mi place. I love these sandwiches, but my American gut wants them to be about twice as big.
So order two. Aren't they like two dollars each?

In Chicago we went to a place that advertised "vegan banh mi," and luckily The Lady was advised by a local that by "vegan" they mean "vegetable banh-mi, cooked in pork fat." Yikes. She got the one that our local friend guaranteed was actually vegetarian, and says the tofu tasted exactly like pork. So who knows what was going on there.
Sometimes it's because the vegetarian person no longer has a clue what pork tastes like. And sometimes... is it evil to want to laugh if they actually ate pork without knowing?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on April 26, 2012, 06:11:03 pm
at the local Banh Mi place they are like 7$. Boo to that.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on April 26, 2012, 11:21:20 pm
There is something offensively precious to me about the idea of a vegan banh mi.  It should not be allowed.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on April 27, 2012, 12:58:14 am
I just want to understand why it was called "vegan" if it was made with pork. What do they think that word means?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on April 27, 2012, 01:38:53 am
Maybe the pigs volunteered?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: smick on April 27, 2012, 05:38:16 am
(http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pnKObAvS3Pw/Tw4lxJeDXiI/AAAAAAAAAmc/JrKWnADRNFc/s1600/cop-out-nope.gif)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on April 27, 2012, 12:25:19 pm
Maybe the pigs volunteered?

I don't have a cute graphic, but I did give you a can.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: smick on April 27, 2012, 06:36:22 pm
Reminds me of something a coworker would always say.   

"That's the difference between bacon and eggs.   The chicken was involved, but the pig was committed."
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on April 28, 2012, 06:38:54 am
at the local Banh Mi place they are like 7$. Boo to that.

I thought that sounded super expensive, and all this Banh Mie talk got me hungry so when I saw that Banh Mie food truck (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/6974484304/in/photostream) I had to make a u turn.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on April 28, 2012, 11:24:01 am
Cock sauce. Heh. Took me a minute. I was all, does Paul's flickr have hilarious filters too?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on April 28, 2012, 11:38:36 am
The cute guy who handed Paul his sandwich totally looks like he is ready for makeouts.  "I made you this.  Wanna kiss?"" *bats eyelashes*
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on April 28, 2012, 03:04:36 pm
Cock sauce. Heh. Took me a minute. I was all, does Paul's flickr have hilarious filters too?

Is that not the common slang? I thought that term was widely acknowledged.

The cute guy who handed Paul his sandwich totally looks like he is ready for makeouts.  "I made you this.  Wanna kiss?"" *bats eyelashes*

When I told him I wanted to take his picture he took a second to fix his hair and straighten his clothes.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on April 29, 2012, 12:05:42 am
That guy is fricking adorable and my wife concurs.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on April 30, 2012, 07:48:50 pm
Oh, yeah. I would tap that.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on April 30, 2012, 08:37:26 pm
If someone makes you a really good sandwich, is it also assumed that they can satiate your other appetites?  Discuss.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on May 02, 2012, 05:34:09 am
I think y'all are missing the point. The pretty sandwich maker is incidental to the story.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on May 02, 2012, 12:07:00 pm
Once you put a story out there, you can't control what people find meaningful in it. They don't care about the author's intentions.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on May 02, 2012, 12:20:36 pm
The point of the story is you got a nice Banh Mi, the gravy is that the guy who handed it to you is a cutie.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on May 02, 2012, 04:39:42 pm
Once you put a story out there, you can't control what people find meaningful in it. They don't care about the author's intentions.

QFT.

The point of the story is you got a nice Banh Mi, the gravy is that the guy who handed it to you is a cutie.

This too.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on May 09, 2012, 06:11:06 pm
Ham, swiss, and fresh whole basil leaves, grilled and melty.

Yessss. It absolutely has to be ham and swiss; the salty/savory blend perfectly counterbalances the sweet basil. Prosciutto would probably work, too.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on May 09, 2012, 06:52:44 pm
About to go get an awesome BBQ sandwich, since I have to pick up some of their sauce to bring to the GF's family as an offering. Pulled pork, sauce, bun... nothing better.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on May 10, 2012, 04:09:37 am
Ham, swiss, and fresh whole basil leaves, grilled and melty.

Yessss. It absolutely has to be ham and swiss; the salty/savory blend perfectly counterbalances the sweet basil. Prosciutto would probably work, too.

Oh man, I don't use basil nearly enough. It would make so many things better.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on May 10, 2012, 04:35:36 am
I'm going to have a fairly crap cheeseburger on Friday.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on May 10, 2012, 04:42:15 pm
Seriously, why would you be planning this, then. I would be trying to wiggle off that hook already.



1) The missus signed up for Weight Watchers online tracking.
2) ????????
3) I'm going to have a fairly crap cheeseburger on Friday.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on May 10, 2012, 05:15:28 pm
1) The missus signed up for Weight Watchers online tracking.
2) ????????
3) I'm going to have a fairly crap cheeseburger on Friday.

WW is good, actually -- I was very successful with them a number of years back (lost 35 lbs, got knocked up, lost 35 lbs again, got knocked up again) and still use the same principles I learned from that experience. But there is no reason to be eating crap cheeseburgers. There are plenty of low-calorie, healthy foods that taste good; you don't need to rely on pale imitations of high-fat, overly processed junk food. Hit me up for recipes if you're so inclined.

Unless you mean, you have been craving a crap cheeseburger because you are tired of eating salads with the wife, and Friday is an opportunity to get one. In which case, gruffle the shit out of that, yo.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on May 10, 2012, 05:28:57 pm
WW is good, actually -- I was very successful with them a number of years back (lost 35 lbs, got knocked up, lost 35 lbs again, got knocked up again) and still use the same principles I learned from that experience. But there is no reason to be eating crap cheeseburgers. There are plenty of low-calorie, healthy foods that taste good; you don't need to rely on pale imitations of high-fat, overly processed junk food. Hit me up for recipes if you're so inclined.

Unless you mean, you have been craving a crap cheeseburger because you are tired of eating salads with the wife, and Friday is an opportunity to get one. In which case, gruffle the shit out of that, yo.

Bing.

They give you points, and then like special reward points, right? And I'm at work, so my special reward points, if used, with pretty much necessarily go toward some crappy version of what I actually want. The other thing is that since I'm in an institutional setting, it's difficult to know what the hell is going on with the food they prepare. I've got this cool scanner to figure out stuff with bar codes on it, but as for the giant pan full of turkey-a'la-king? No one knows.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 10, 2012, 06:20:52 pm
I've been doing WW for a few months, and it's working well--down about 20 lbs so far. But yeah, in Nabu's situation that's a pain in the ass. I already annoy the crap out of my wife by asking her a zillion questions about how she prepared dinner and then figuring out points before I'll sit down to eat (though she can't argue with the results). There are some foods and restaurants where you pretty much just can't eat because you don't know what the hell you're getting.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on May 10, 2012, 06:25:10 pm
I was talking about it with a buddy from New Orleans this morning. He said his company has these big feasts for clients and stuff like that, and he was watching one of their engineers make etouffee. The dude had this big pot and he was getting the shrimp together and fixing to make the roue and he just unwrapped like eight pounds of butter and dropped them in. Yeah, yeah, he's making enough for thirty people, but that's still a whacking big glass of butter to drain.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on May 10, 2012, 06:57:01 pm
I've been doing WW for a few months, and it's working well--down about 20 lbs so far. But yeah, in Nabu's situation that's a pain in the ass. I already annoy the crap out of my wife by asking her a zillion questions about how she prepared dinner and then figuring out points before I'll sit down to eat (though she can't argue with the results). There are some foods and restaurants where you pretty much just can't eat because you don't know what the hell you're getting.

Yeah, doing WW the first time really cut down on our eating out. We didn't have kids at the time, so that was kind of a big deal.

Does Mrs. del Vaca know about SparkRecipes (http://www.sparkrecipes.com/)? You can enter all the ingredients and get a ballpark nutritional count for any given recipe. You can save them for future use, too -- WW had something very much like it when I was signed up (5 years ago) but SparkRecipes is free. So when we're watching our calories, I can tell Pedro, "Your dinner tonight is 640 calories per serving, but if you want an extra piece of bread those are 100 each." It's time-consuming to enter the recipes, but if she has a set rotation of family favorites (like I do), you can just enter the things you eat most frequently and estimate the rest.

I use Spark a lot -- I print my usual rotation of meals from the Spark interface so that my three-ring-binder everyday recipes includes nutrition info right at the top of every page. I've actually switched to Spark's nutritional tracking program, too, because they have a nice web interface, an iPhone app, and a recipe calculator that are all free to use. But it requires a little more discipline than WW, because the Points system really does make it easier to keep a running total in your head throughout the day.

I need to get back to tracking. I've put on some pounds lately and I'm not very happy about it.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 10, 2012, 08:34:56 pm
Over time you figure out places that you can successfully eat out, though. I go for the shrimp salad at Baja Fresh probably once a week, because it's good, it's only 11 points even with the tortilla chips, and because I actually feel like I'm eating at Baja Fresh. (Unlike, say, getting the low-cal menu items at IHOP--that makes me completely miserable because everyone else is having pancakes with syrup, and I'm eating a plain-ass omlette with turkey bacon, and I feel like I'm completely wasting my time and money. Fuck that noise.) Corner Bakery is a good option too.

Haven't used Spark Recipes yet, but I'll check it out. The missus is NOT doing WW, so she's not quite as concerned with content, but she'll usually give me the recipe (if she's working off of one) or just remember or write down the details, and I'll hammer it out one way or another.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on May 10, 2012, 08:57:20 pm
I need to start using that site. My problem is that even when I cook something kind of healthy, I eat basically the whole pot. Cuz, you know... It's healthy!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on May 10, 2012, 10:08:03 pm
I like Spark a lot.  I'll occasionally track food for a while to see if I'm getting balanced macronutrients, keep an eye on sodium, etc.  Mostly I keep track of fitness minutes on it though.

Academically, the topic of weight loss interests me, and I discovered something along the way that goes a long way to explaining what's going on when people go through the cycle of diet/gain/diet/gain; namely that a good couple pounds of lean body mass is the short term energy storage molecule glycogen - and that each gram of glycogen requires 3 grams of water to store.  Your body will preferentially work through that glycogen before dipping into long term fat stores, so you can drop 5-10 pounds without losing an ounce of fat.  Once your calorie restriction ends or exercise level drops the glycogen stores zip back up, bringing along their associated water - and this process happens in a hurry.  The net result is that the beginning of a diet, when those first pounds come off, sets you up with an unrealistic expectation about what will happen with the next couple weeks!  Also, dieting to lose 5 pounds is a chump's game.  If you want to lose 5 pounds of fat, you need to diet down 15 pounds (or so) so that when you come off the diet the return to homeostasis of your glycogen stores will leave you with the net loss you were aiming for.

Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on May 11, 2012, 01:28:56 am
shit, but what if I really just want to eat slightly healthier and bike more so I stop developing a gut? Is that also a mook's game? I think if I lost 15 lbs I would be back into "underweight" territory. But right now I'm... a skinny dude with a big belly.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on May 11, 2012, 04:29:16 am
Get some muscle mass.  Everything is easier if you increase the amount of lean mass on your frame.  Bonus: you need to eat a lot more while you're gaining.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on May 11, 2012, 01:08:03 pm
That is some Science. Thanks for bringin' it.

I would really just like to get to the point where I can wear a swimsuit without being embarrassed again. (This isn't as hard as it sounds; my standards are low.) I carry my weight in my stomach, and I have long thin legs and skinny little bird arms. (Not to be braggy about my legs, but they are without a doubt my best feature.) So most of the time I can dress myself to conceal the spare tire, but in a swimsuit there's just no hope.

I am reasonably fit when it comes to strength -- I can lift and carry my 70-lb daughter if she cooperates -- but I also inherited my dad's unfortunate genetic characteristic of not gaining a lot of muscle mass, even from lifting weights. "Sinewy," is what I'd call it. When I took two consecutive semesters of strength training for my PE credits in college, I was in pretty good condition and could lift a lot more than you'd expect based on my size. I think I weighed 120 and I could bench 90 and squat 200, or something like that. Maybe that's not impressive, but it was a marked improvement from where I started. The thing is, my arms and legs never got any bigger and I never gained weight from working out.

So, JayDub the Science Guy, does this mean that I'm doomed in terms of trying to lose fat by gaining muscle? Or is it that my muscles, such as they are, are more densely packed and will burn more energy regardless of their actual size and weight?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on May 12, 2012, 05:13:50 am
Genes have something to do with the ease of gaining muscle size - but not as much as some might say (in my opinion).  The majority of "hardgainers" are people who are trying to simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat.  Gaining muscle mass requires an excess of calories above baseline, and sufficient stimulus to convince your body that your life requires it.  Your body operates on a pretty straight forward energy budget, and it will do everything it takes to have enough energy to run your brain, stay warm, and make babies.  Beyond that, it tries to keep your physique sufficient to survive what a "typical" day demands.  Exercise is your strategy to convince your body that it is worth spending valuable energy to build (metabolically) expensive tissue like muscle, and you have to keep at it long enough for your body to recognize that the state you want is now "typical" and that it needs to adapt to it.
This person (http://www.leighpeele.com/) is a voice I've come to trust in understanding how diet, exercise, and social pressures interact with body image and health.  She is one of the voices on the Fitcast  (http://thefitcast.com/)podcast - they have a huge archive of good stuff going back 5 years or so. 
The main strike you have in quickly gaining muscle is having 2 X chromosomes.   On the other hand, you strike me as a person who can commit to and execute a long term plan, and perseverance is the name of this game.  In brief, the strategy is to lose enough weight through diet and do enough gradually increasing levels of exercise to position yourself for a successful program of weight training.  You then train hard, eat well, and rest enough to get a good boost of body weight through muscle mass.  You then establish a long term lifestyle of exercise and moderate eating to keep your physique where you want it.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on May 12, 2012, 03:31:47 pm
Yeah, except that the problem is time. Right now I am lucky to be able to get 30 minutes 3x/week for any kind of exercise, and even that is going to be more than I can manage starting Monday when I have either one or both kids out of school continuously until mid-August.

So limiting my calorie intake is much, much easier than finding the time to exercise regularly, at least for the next year and change until my youngest goes to Kindergarten. But it sounds like you're saying that it's worthwhile to spend a year essentially "dieting" to get down to a weight/size where I'm happy, and then increasing exercise to build muscle and make it easier to maintain that size. Does that sound right?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on May 12, 2012, 04:06:11 pm
It's a beaut, Clark!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on May 12, 2012, 04:18:10 pm
Also, along the same lines, "beauty, clark!" (http://youtu.be/xsKZiIX-ij0?t=39s)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on May 12, 2012, 04:41:44 pm
If you know someone who has not seen that film, you have a solemn duty to rectify the situation.

"No point in steering now."

"Fleshy-headed mutant - are you friendly?"
"No way, eh. Radiation has made me an enemy of civilization."
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Nabubrush on May 12, 2012, 10:41:24 pm
I'm going to have to watch it again this time home. I am giddy with excitement!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on May 13, 2012, 05:20:21 am
But it sounds like you're saying that it's worthwhile to spend a year essentially "dieting" to get down to a weight/size where I'm happy, and then increasing exercise to build muscle and make it easier to maintain that size. Does that sound right?
Yes, this is my understanding.  You will still want some sort of exercise just to maintain good health and get the mental health rewards it brings.  Naturally chasing after 2 active kids will provide some of that, but something you do voluntarily (like the run/walk thing we were talking about a few weeks back) will help quite a bit.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on May 23, 2012, 07:45:07 am
Ham, swiss, and fresh whole basil leaves, grilled and melty.

Yessss. It absolutely has to be ham and swiss; the salty/savory blend perfectly counterbalances the sweet basil. Prosciutto would probably work, too.

This would be perfect if you added tomatoes to the mix.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 23, 2012, 01:49:33 pm
This would be perfect if you added tomatoes to the mix.

I am making this good-ass sammich at some point this weekend, which is pretty close to what yinz have come up with.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Ultimate-Grilled-Cheese-Sandwich-236199
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on May 23, 2012, 05:50:30 pm
This would be perfect if you added tomatoes to the mix.

That advice never surprises me coming from you, Paul. But as we've discussed numerous times before, I cannot abide fresh tomatoes. I know that this depresses you, and for that I apologize.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on May 23, 2012, 05:58:39 pm
To balance things out, today I had a sandwich made of five-spice chicken (left over from dinner) with avocado, nice ripe tomato and organic spring-mix greens on whole wheat with mayo.

This is probably my first sandwich after being off sandwiches for quite a while, and I thought "I want to eat this for lunch tomorrow too."
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on May 23, 2012, 06:23:00 pm
That sounds like a winning chicken sandwich.

I have been making the same old, same old sandwiches (turkey, chicken, etc.) but Spouse has started bringing in these packs of dill havarti and muenster cheeses that just kick the piss out of old boring cheddar, colby, jack or...shudder...american.

ALSO: sweet pickles make a nice condiment change-up, if you can't abide them try a nice butter-garlic dill.

Muenster is what I buy 99% of the time when I get lunchmeat. Unless pepper-jack is on sale or something.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on May 23, 2012, 06:28:55 pm
I'm not always interested in cheese on sandwiches.  It really depends. 

Question:  when people say American Cheese, do they mean processed cheese slices, like Kraft Singles? 

PS:  I don't like pickles on anything - burgers or sandwiches.  I will eat dill pickles on the side, but only if they are the crunchy kind.  None of those limp Bicks.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on May 23, 2012, 06:57:25 pm
Aged Swiss for me baby, every time.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on May 23, 2012, 06:58:32 pm

Except smoked. Screw that smoking stuff.


Wait, what?  Do I understand you correctly to say that you do not like smoked meats?

Are you some sort of space alien or something?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on May 23, 2012, 07:01:35 pm
I like American cheese on my ham and cheese, because it is my Childhood Sandwich. Normally I go for something more exciting. But I only like White American Cheese from the deli counter, not Kraft cheese.

Today as a post-birthday treat I got a Torta from my favorite Mexican place. They keep getting more and more fancy, and I do not know how I feel about that.

Yesterday my birthday dinner was a spicy tuna melt with pickles on an onion roll. Delicious.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on May 23, 2012, 07:33:27 pm

Question:  when people say American Cheese, do they mean processed cheese slices, like Kraft Singles? 


Yes, pretty much. You can get it from a deli here in the states, but...why? It's crappy processed goo.

Ash, when I buy lunch meat, I buy lunch meat. I will make the odd sandwich out of leftovers if I have them around, but I love a good sandwich and I don't cook ham very often so I will usually get deli stuff. Plus, I prefer wisp-thin slices piled high, and I just don't have the equipment to achieve that here at home.

Lately I have been eating a lot of bologna. Chaos Girl loves it and it's cheap as the day is long, I just slap it on some honey wheat with a schmear of mayo and we're set. It's not elegant, but it works.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on May 23, 2012, 08:36:22 pm
To balance things out, today I had a sandwich made of five-spice chicken (left over from dinner) with avocado, nice ripe tomato and organic spring-mix greens on whole wheat with mayo.

See, she gets it.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on May 23, 2012, 10:36:23 pm
Processed lunch meats are teh gross. Processed cheeze are teh gross.

I prefer left overs like chicken, roast, steak, ham etc. most times prepared sliced lunch meats are typically not my thing.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on May 24, 2012, 05:16:59 pm
When I was poor I ate a lot of loaf.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on May 24, 2012, 07:32:25 pm
As a child, I had a really confusing conversation with Sister McSweeny once about mock chicken (http://www.lafleur.com/en/products/deli-products/mock-chicken-meat-loaf-round/) when I forgot to bring my lunch to school.  She asked me what I usually ate (so that she could go to the convent, which was next door, to make me something), I said a "mock chicken sandwich" and she had never heard of it.  Now I hate lunch meat all together, but that was the penultimate processed sandwich loaf if there ever was one.  

Today I had the same sandwich as yesterday.  It wasn't as good.  I get bored with food so easily.  
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on May 24, 2012, 10:32:11 pm
Mel's post sent me off on a hyperlink quest to identify something I saw on grocery store shelves a while back: Potted Meat Food Product.  Anything with such vague descriptors in the name is suspect (see also: Velveeta - Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product).  I knew it would end in horror, and was not disappointed.  There are 3 purveyors of potted meat, each with their own recipe

Armour Star: Mechanically separated chicken, beef tripe, water, salt (plus additives)

Hormel: Beef tripe, mechanically separated chicken, beef hearts, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, meat broth, salt (plus additives)

Libby's: Mechanically separated chicken, pork skin, partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, salt (plus additives)

"partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue" - there's a phrase worth more than the substance it describes...
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on May 24, 2012, 10:40:35 pm
Potted Meat is cat food.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on May 24, 2012, 11:42:25 pm
I wish I could have found a link to a mock chicken that looked more like the mock chicken of my childhood.  It was a square loaf with a mysterious orange rind.  Back then, I thought it was just a type of chicken.  Certainly as a child, I didn't know the meaning of the world "mock" apart from it being a term to describe certain turtle necks and lunch meats.  Sister McSweeney was sweet enough to not point out I was eating poor people food.  Most of my classmates were very affluent and were certainly eating real meat.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on May 25, 2012, 12:19:46 am
Potted Meat Food Product.

Obligatory Steve, Don't Eat It link (http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2012, 12:53:14 am
Today I went to my favorite BBQ place and tried the barbequed turkey breast. Not my favorite so far.

the cashier there is one of my customers, and she always gives me the employee discount. This time she threw in HALF A RACK OF RIBS FOR FREE in case I didn't like the turkey. One day I am going to take that girl and her boyfriend out and get them drunk.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on May 25, 2012, 03:04:28 am
Man, potted meat...even dicing that up, frying it and rolling it into an omelet smothered with tabasco can't save that for me.

Vienna sausages or spam, sure! But potted meat is straight out.

Dice? Fry? You can dice potted meat. You certainly can't fry it. It just turns to liquid. You're only option with that shit is spread it on a slice of white bread and slather enough mayo on it to cover the taste.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on May 25, 2012, 04:35:27 am
This is the first I've ever heard of mock chicken. My favorite is that pork is listed as the first ingredient. Why not just call it pork?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 25, 2012, 12:02:52 pm
re: mock chicken: maybe thats what canada calls "chicken roll"?

(http://www.meathub.com/v/vspfiles/photos/100022-2T.jpg)

i think a more apt term would be "chicken bologna", but thats just me.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on May 25, 2012, 12:43:48 pm
No, we have chicken loaf and chicken bologna here.  Mock chicken is distinctly different, or at least it was to my little kid palate.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 20, 2012, 05:52:53 am
When making banh mi, I sometimes put a small amount of potted meat into the mayo/sriracha mixture and try not to think too hard about it.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 20, 2012, 10:36:29 am
Burger for breakfast. Burger+sunny up egg+pepper jelly+thick bacon and once juicy ass slice of tomato. Welcome to America, my friend.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 20, 2012, 11:28:54 am
I'm going to sleep!

The only sandwich I have eaten in months, not very regularly- Wheat bread, tomato, onion, avocado, spicy mustard, pickle, sprouts.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Doc on June 20, 2012, 12:16:07 pm
Lunch today (and for the next few days) is the what is left in my fridge sandwich:
Home made bread (not quite risen properly), butter lettuce, lots of mustard. Things may get more exciting if the avocados I bought half a week ago decide to ripen any time soon.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on June 20, 2012, 12:30:43 pm
The only sandwich I have eaten in months, not very regularly- Wheat bread, tomato, onion, avocado, spicy mustard, pickle, sprouts.

If I had a sandwich shop I would call this the "vegan tragedy."

Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on June 20, 2012, 03:52:59 pm
I was going to mention that Keith's sandwich recipe is very similar to one I like, but that it's missing the slice of cream cheese.   But then that wouldn't be vegan. 
I could never be vegan.  Not being able to eat dairy is one thing that keeps me from the Paleo diet (also beer is forbidden, and that is just a ridiculous omission).
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on June 20, 2012, 04:05:01 pm
If I had a sandwich shop I would call this the "vegan tragedy."



If I believed in such things I would say this is a thousand can post.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 20, 2012, 04:14:37 pm
I am still turned off to sandwiches, and today I will be eating a tasty vegan lunch that involves fresh diced tomato, onion, green pepper and cashews tossed with a bit of lime juice, fresh cracked pepper and whole wheat couscous.  

Tonight it's all about the bison though.  Do burgers count as sandwiches?  Have we debated this?  I'm actually on the side of no, but I'd be open to calling it a subcategory.  

Tonight:  Local bison meat burgers, grilled, coated in emmentaler, spring mix greens, tomato, caramelized onions, chipotle aiolie all cuddled in between these super-flat whole grain buns.  I love these buns. (http://reviews.presidentschoice.ca/6584/F18771/reviews.htm) If you have anything like them where you are, I suggest them for burgers if you really want to taste the meat.  

Side note:  the store I got the emmentaler at had it labelled at "German Swiss Cheese."  I assumed by the label that it would taste like emmentaler and it does, exactly.  I guess you can't really call it emmentaler unless it's made in the region, but it's straight up weird to call it German Swiss... WTF is that about?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on June 20, 2012, 05:04:57 pm
it's straight up weird to call it German Swiss... WTF is that about?

My no doubt incorrect guess would be that it's to distinguish it from that snooty French Swiss cheese, and the harder-to-find Italian Swiss and Romansh Swiss variants.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 20, 2012, 05:08:13 pm
Tonight it's all about the bison though.  Do burgers count as sandwiches?  Have we debated this?  I'm actually on the side of no, but I'd be open to calling it a subcategory.  

Why would a burger not count as a sandwich?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 20, 2012, 05:21:10 pm
What about Burritos?  Falafel?  I say yes (they are sandwiches) to both.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on June 20, 2012, 05:34:21 pm
I agree Keith.  Sandwichness is defined by the sloppy contents being contained by something bread-y for convenient eating without silverware.  Burgers, pitas, burritos, wraps, and even those Vietnamese cold roll things would all be sandwiches.
Now a fried spring roll - I think that's something else.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on June 20, 2012, 05:47:14 pm
Whaaaat.

I am working on figuring out the correct metaphor for how insane that is. Are sushi rolls a kind of sandwich?

Hove some dignity.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 20, 2012, 05:58:35 pm
A sandwich has bread with some kind of filling. Not a bun, not a tortilla or a wrap or a pita.

Then what the hell do I call pulled pork in a bun?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on June 20, 2012, 06:07:23 pm
a bun is bread. a sandwich on a bun is still a sandwich. a tortilla is not bread. nori and soy paper are not bread. pita is a bread, but this is where it gets tricky. if the pita is stuffed, that might count as a sandwich; if it's wrapped, definitely not. most of the time a pita is wrapped, not stuffed, and therefore not a sandwich.

i think the delimiter should be that if there's bread interior in contact with the fixings, it's a sandwich. also, it needs to be edible without being cooked after assembly.

today i'm going to have a sandwich for lunch. turkey, mayo, mustard, s&p on wheat toast; nothing special until i slice up the banana pepper from our patio garden and lay that in the middle. simple, clean, good-ass.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on June 20, 2012, 06:34:30 pm
I think a hamburger in a bun is a sandwich because there are two pieces of bread around it. One on top and one on bottom.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 20, 2012, 06:36:00 pm
Hey,  check it out. (http://www.neatorama.com/2011/10/11/what-exactly-is-a-sandwich/)

I was going to agree with Ash, but like the note in the article - is a grilled cheese sandwich not a sandwich?

Also, returning to my non-sandwich lunch, I ended up not having a vegan lunch because I realized I had an open carton of chicken broth, so I made the couscous with that, and also, I had a big glass of chocolate milk afterward.

Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on June 20, 2012, 06:39:11 pm
If you have to ask if it qualifies as a sandwich, it's not a sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on June 20, 2012, 06:54:25 pm
Tortilla = pita = bread = bun

The key is convenience.  Function.  Sandwiches are meal delivery packets that allow you to eat without utensils or getting your fingers dirty.  Sushi rolls don't qualify, because by design they are eaten with chopsticks.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on June 20, 2012, 07:07:57 pm
a grilled cheese is a sandwich. it is a cheese sandwich that has been cooked (though rarely, if ever, actually grilled).
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on June 20, 2012, 07:13:00 pm
no, you are supposed to eat Sushi with your hands. so by your definition they are sandwiches. LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE WROUGHT.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on June 20, 2012, 07:17:15 pm
seaweed =/= bread
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 20, 2012, 07:30:51 pm
Wraps, rolls and sushi are not sandwiches, but they belong in the same category of convenience food.

seaweed =/= bread

No, but the rice serves a similar purpose to bread in sandwiches. Onigiri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onigiri) is essentially the Japanese equivalent of the sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on June 20, 2012, 07:35:12 pm
a tortilla is not bread either.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on June 20, 2012, 08:07:03 pm
I think we need to add "what is a sandwich" to The List with "pubes, removal of" and "prescriptivism vs. descriptivism"
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 20, 2012, 08:16:08 pm
Tortilla = pita = bread = bun.

For real.  Also, you can get those "hand sushis" or some shit.  I have never ordered or seen one, but I have made sushi rolls, and it seems like it is just an uncut sushi roll, so that may be a sandwich.  I wouldn't consider eating sushi without massive soy sauce and wasabi, so for me it could never be a sandwich.  If you are eating those hand rolls without sauce all the time then I think sushi would be a sandwich for you.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 20, 2012, 08:29:29 pm
Tacos?  Definitely a sandwich!

Also, I need to get a job!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 20, 2012, 08:35:05 pm
No! Tacos are not a sandwich!  A pita is not a sandwich, and sushi is most certainly not a sandwich.  What the fuck are you all thinking?  Walk up to your local Middle Eastern, Mexican or Japanese restaurant and go a head and ask for a sandwich and get the puzzled look you deserve for believing nonsense about food stuffs!

I am throwing down as a sandwich conservative:  Only leavened bread with something between is a sandwich! 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 20, 2012, 08:41:21 pm
Also, I need to get a job!

I hear food taxonomy is the big, up and coming thing.

I am throwing down as a sandwich conservative:  Only leavened bread with something between is a sandwich! 

So you agree that burgers are sandwiches?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 20, 2012, 08:49:17 pm
Troublemaking heathen, you just called it a burger your ownself.

C'mon dogg, 'burger' is just short for 'hamburg steak sandwich'. Hamburgers don't stop being sandwiches just because people don't want to say words.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on June 20, 2012, 09:07:51 pm
I am willing to give "burger" a subcategory of "sandwich" in the same way that the platypus is allowed to be called a mammal. Here's why: If you slap some boneless breaded chicken on a bun and give it lettuce, tomato, and mayo, is it a chicken burger? No. It's a chicken sandwich, even though the only difference between that and a burger is what kind of animal you killed.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 20, 2012, 09:08:10 pm
Why do you keep trying to give it another name when it has a perfectly good one of it's own?

I'm not! I'm just saying I think burgers are a type of sandwich, like how squares are a type of rectangle.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on June 20, 2012, 09:11:35 pm
I don't think a hamburger is a sandwich, it's like calling a burrito a taco. And the rest of the stuff mentioned so far is absolutely not a sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on June 20, 2012, 09:14:40 pm
Burgers are sandwiches. A turkey burger is called that because it is turkey prepared in the Burger method-- ground up and formed into a patty.

also, just remembered something fucked up. In France they call a Gyro a "Sandwich Grec."

Paul, I would say that it's like calling a Burrito a "wrap."
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on June 20, 2012, 09:17:20 pm
Hm, actually, now that I think about it again...

If you put grilled chicken breast on a bun, it's a chicken sandwich. But if you grind the chicken, form it into a patty, grill it up and THEN put it on a bun, it's a chickenburger. So I think the key is that the meat has to be ground and pattified. That's what makes a (beef, chicken, turkey, veggie) burger a burger.

I'm on your side, Ash. I don't think a burger is a sandwich, precisely. But if we can get tacos and wraps out of the equation, I might be willing to stop splitting hairs on burgers.

Inev -- simulpost!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 20, 2012, 09:31:40 pm
Look peeps, sliced bread defines a sandwich as what it is.  That's why people say shit like croissant-wich.  It is off kilter if a sandwich like filling appears on something other than sliced bread.  In fact when I was a kid if we had leftover hamburger patties, and we put them on bread, we called them a hamburger sandwich.

The History of the Sandwich (http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodsandwiches.html)

Quote
The bread-enclosed convenience food known as the "sandwich" is attributed to John Montagu, fourth Earl of Sandwich (1718-1792), a British statesman and notorious profligate and gambler, who is said to be the inventor of this type of food so that he would not have to leave his gaming table to take supper. In fact, Montague was not the inventor of the sandwich; rather, during his excursions in the Eastern Mediterranean, he saw grilled pita breads and small canapes and sandwiches served by the Greeks and Turks during their mezes, and copied the concept for its obvious convenience.
 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 20, 2012, 09:54:33 pm
I guess Arby's sells roast beef burgers?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on June 20, 2012, 10:04:12 pm
This is some wack-ass shit. What about when I put turkey breast, pickles, mustard, mayo, and munster on an onion roll? That is a "bunwich" or a "sliced deli-meat burger?" NO! That shit is a sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 20, 2012, 10:15:02 pm
If I cut the top and bottom crust off of my burger, does it become a sandwich?

If we let corporate America name shit, this is what we'll get (http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalfemme57/5817493196/in/pool-87755518@N00/).

This (http://www.kfc.com/doubledown/) is what we get when that happens, actually

Edit: I think I'm just gonna agree to disagree. You just name it any old way you want dear and the good lord God will provide.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on June 20, 2012, 10:18:43 pm
education where she gives you a slap and tells you to eat your damn free sandwich and wrap? yes.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 20, 2012, 10:21:01 pm
No!  A bun is a bun.

Also the idea of Ash shouting and pointing at a computer made me lol.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on June 20, 2012, 10:25:25 pm
This is some wack-ass shit. What about when I put turkey breast, pickles, mustard, mayo, and munster on an onion roll? That is a "bunwich" or a "sliced deli-meat burger?" NO! That shit is a sandwich.

This is a sandwich. Anyone in any New York deli will agree. And think you are fuck*ng insane for asking.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 20, 2012, 10:45:10 pm
Quote from: jay-ell
If you have to ask if it qualifies as a sandwich, it's not a sandwich.

The Baseball Hall of Fame is like this.

Pretty much, if you have to ask, you do not belong.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 20, 2012, 11:57:33 pm
I eat middle eastern food basically constantly, both places I go to (one hella authentic, one Americanized) call what I get the falafel sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 21, 2012, 12:12:07 am
And I eat Middle Eastern food from a Lebanese family resto so often they know my order before I ask for it. I also frequent an Isralie place and a pita bakery/ Shwarma place. They never call it a sandwich.  Not ever.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 21, 2012, 12:14:20 am
I'ma open up the container at my desk and yell "SURPRISE" at it. No one will check on me because they are used to me yelling wild shit all the time.
Or they just assumed you opened your #####.

Are we calling this a sandwich?
(http://www.microwaverecipescookbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Dosa1.jpg)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on June 21, 2012, 12:19:51 am
Made carnitas, only to realize I don't have any tortillas or beans in the house. What do you call it if you eat Carnitas and salsa and shredded cheese in a hot dog bun?

An abomination?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 21, 2012, 12:29:58 am
(http://www.microwaverecipescookbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Dosa1.jpg)

That's a wrap, folks.

What do you call it if you eat Carnitas and salsa and shredded cheese in a hot dog bun?

I think you call it poor planning.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on June 21, 2012, 12:36:37 am
FOOD FIGHT

I looked up the menu of the Lebanese place where we eat at least once a week, and all of these are listed under "Sandwiches"

Falafel
with radish, parsley, green onion, tomatoes & tahini    
Shawarma
beef and lamb with lettuce & tahini    
Chicken Shawarma
with garlic sauce & lettuce    
pulled chicken with cheese & garlic sauce    
Kafta
grilled ground beef & lamb with hommos, radish & onion    

mmmm now I'm hungry, damn you all.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 21, 2012, 12:40:14 am
And I eat Middle Eastern food from a Lebanese family resto so often they know my order before I ask for it. I also frequent an Isralie place and a pita bakery/ Shwarma place. They never call it a sandwich.  Not ever.

If we are trying to compare dicks on this I can call a place and they know by my number who I am and what I want.  That is the traditional place, it is Syrian if thats important.  I've casually dated a girl that works there.

They call it a sandwich.  My dick is bigger than yers.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 21, 2012, 12:42:09 am
I'm sorry, but the way restaurants describe their food in the assimilation machine that is America is not an indicator of anything.

Also, yes, I also want a falafel and/or shawarma now.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 21, 2012, 12:48:19 am
Yeah, the fact that they call it that isn't really a deciding factor in my thinking.

And, yeah, me too. 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 21, 2012, 01:14:48 am
This reminds me, if any of you find yourself in Canada, we've got a thing up here called a donair, its a bastardized version of the gyro, and I highly suggest avoiding eating one if you like gyros.  So gross.  It's like a gyro pita, but instead of tzatziki you get "sweet sauce" which is exactly as it sounds (gross and sweet and bleccch) and you get beef instead of beef/lamb, and it's much blander.  I'm glad I was introduced to real gyros before trying a donair, because I would never imagine that two things could look so very similar but be on opposite ends of the enjoyability scale for me. 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 21, 2012, 01:30:17 am
Canadian donair sounds whack, but I think gyros are actually derivative of Turkish doner kebabs.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on June 21, 2012, 01:39:05 am
I'm reading something that says the sauce on your Canadian donair is made of sweetened condensed milk. On the bright side now my appetite is totally spoiled and I'm not hungry anymore.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 21, 2012, 02:52:19 am
Oh man, I just looked up a bunch of recipes for donair sweet sauce and you're right.  That explains the level of gross.  I had no idea.

The first time I had a donair, it was in a food court at a place that was just called Donairs, and I asked what it was and the lady said it was a gyro, not that it was like a gyro, but that it is a gyro.  I had a couple bites and thought the tzatziki sauce had gone bad and threw the whole works in the garbage.  I ordered it again at a more reputable place and realized it was supposed to taste that bad.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 21, 2012, 03:33:08 am
I just want to add that arguing about sandwiches is wonderful and was a ray of sunshine in an otherwise bleak workday.  I'm talking new born baby in detox sad, father murdered by single punch sad, grandma dealing crack instead of caring of small children in her care sad, mother of five committing suicide sad, finding out a girl I tried to help has ended up in the sex trade sad.  It has been a horrible horrible work week over the past five days I have returned since our grandma's funeral.  I'm kind of at my limit.  Thankfully I have tomorrow off.

I was thinking about this:  there are hamburger buns, and there are other buns. As I drooled over much earlier in this thread, a bahn mi is certainly a sandwich, and it is on a special Vietnamese crusty roll.  I still insist that a burger is not a sandwich but I will concede that a sandwich can be on sliced bread or a bun or roll.  When I think about my grandma making bread, she used the same recipe for both bread and buns, the only difference in her baking was size and final crust ratio. 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on June 21, 2012, 04:59:56 am
Why would a burger not count as a sandwich?

Because it's a burger.

Jesus people. If someone asked you if you wanted a sandwich, and you said yes, and they asked what kind, and you said surprise me, and they brought you a burger, you would say or think something like "but I agreed to a sandwich, not a burger." Maybe you'd be delighted, but a part of you would be wondering why they didn't just offer you a burger. I guarantee it.

The Baseball Hall of Fame is like this.

Pretty much, if you have to ask, you do not belong.

If you have to ask, you're streets behind.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on June 21, 2012, 05:43:56 am
Because it's a burger.

Jesus people. If someone asked you if you wanted a sandwich, and you said yes, and they asked what kind, and you said surprise me, and they brought you a burger, you would say or think something like "but I agreed to a sandwich, not a burger." Maybe you'd be delighted, but a part of you would be wondering why they didn't just offer you a burger. I guarantee it.

holy shit, i think you might have turned me there. BUT -- and this is a pretty massive but, as big as my own ass -- only if the exact same ruling applies to the rest: taco, burrito, sushi handroll, wraps, shawarma, the lot of it.

who was it some other time this came up with the calzone? because that shit is right out
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on June 21, 2012, 06:04:14 am
Quote
Jesus people. If someone asked you if you wanted a sandwich, and you said yes, and they asked what kind, and you said surprise me, and they brought you a burger, you would say or think something like "but I agreed to a sandwich, not a burger." Maybe you'd be delighted, but a part of you would be wondering why they didn't just offer you a burger. I guarantee it.
\

Yeah, but I would feel the same way if someone asked "do you want a sandwich" and brought out a Banh Mi. Because it is a very particular sub-type of sandwich which is not necessarily conjured up by the word "sandwich."

Do you like rock music? Ok, here's some rock music. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie2heQ_373g&feature=player_detailpage#t=83s) What? You're surprised that this is what I played you? I guess that means it isn't rock music.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on June 21, 2012, 07:06:18 am
Golly! Defining the sandwich is a complicated thing.

I had a donor sandwich thing a couple of weeks ago and tried to make a crack about the Donner party, but it went nowhere.

What about the ice cream sandwich?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 21, 2012, 10:50:42 am
http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/01/bacon-guacamole-grilled-cheese-sandwich.html
(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2az7lj3scTc/Tyh2XYtnZBI/AAAAAAAANu8/npTstl8FqWI/s800/Bacon%2BGuacamole%2BGrilled%2BCheese%2BSandwich%2B500%2B1953.jpg) Good morning.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on June 21, 2012, 12:16:33 pm
Inev, you have been in linguistics classes more recently than me. You know that thing they talk about in semantics about word meaning, how categories like this have canonical examples and more peripheral ones, and this is just how word meaning works? Or is that a psycholinguistics thing?  Someone needs to explain that here but this week I am too busy trying to juggle two or three other careers and I don't have time to dig back deep enough to remember how to explain it.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on June 21, 2012, 01:15:43 pm
\

Yeah, but I would feel the same way if someone asked "do you want a sandwich" and brought out a Banh Mi. Because it is a very particular sub-type of sandwich which is not necessarily conjured up by the word "sandwich."

Do you like rock music? Ok, here's some rock music. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie2heQ_373g&feature=player_detailpage#t=83s) What? You're surprised that this is what I played you? I guess that means it isn't rock music.

No, I'm not at all surprised you played this, and I don't think anyone else is.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on June 21, 2012, 02:40:14 pm
If you ask someone to picture a bird, I guarantee the bird they will be picturing is not an ostrich. But guess what? AN OSTRICH IS STILL A BIRD.

So yes, things on buns are still sandwiches. Also, I feel compelled to point out that no one here has yet gotten their pastrami in a twisty roll about the open-faced sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 21, 2012, 03:48:12 pm
http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/01/bacon-guacamole-grilled-cheese-sandwich.html
(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2az7lj3scTc/Tyh2XYtnZBI/AAAAAAAANu8/npTstl8FqWI/s800/Bacon%2BGuacamole%2BGrilled%2BCheese%2BSandwich%2B500%2B1953.jpg) Good morning.

This sandwich is so pornographic that it's NSFW.  Also:  want.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on June 21, 2012, 03:50:31 pm
This sandwich is so pornographic that it's NSFW.  Also:  want.
QFT.  I'm getting ready to go into the lab, with 3 hours and 15 minutes to lunch - and that's the image to go with me.  Its going to be a long morning.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 21, 2012, 03:51:40 pm
Also, I feel compelled to point out that no one here has yet gotten their pastrami in a twisty roll about the open-faced sandwich.

I'm leaning towards classifying them with bruschetta and crostini in the food-on-bread category, and not with true sandwiches. "Open-faced sandwich" is just a convenient way to describe something that's not really a sandwich in a sandwich dominated culture.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 21, 2012, 03:59:36 pm
The open faced sandwich, by name, describes that there is less bread, but that bread is present, so I am comfortable including it as a sandwich.  When I make such a thing though, I call it a melt.  I keep it on the sidelines of sandwich-hood,  I maintain a firm distinction.

Let's be careful here though:  pizza is not a sandwich, even if it's a panzarotti or calzone.

Also, now I'm super conflicted:  I have the day off, and often such days mean I go on a mission to eat the perfect lunch.  I was originally going to drive 30 minutes across town for the best damn Shawarma, but now that sandwich AC posted is messing with me and I'm thinking all sorts of dirty thoughts about melted cheese.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on June 21, 2012, 04:05:50 pm
Oh! Burgers vs. melts. As in, ground beef with swiss cheese on rye bread (instead of a bun) is known as a patty melt. I would argue that a melt is a type of sandwich, whether it is served open-faced or closed.

Story time: My dad likes to tell about how he would sometimes go to McDonald's with his Polish-born, Catholic grandmother on Fridays, which at the time were meatless for Catholics even outside of Lent.

My great-grandmother would order a cheeseburger, sit down at the table, unwrap it, and then say, "Ach! I always forget that there's meat in these." Then she'd heave a long sigh, consider her options, and say, "Well, it's more of a sin to waste it." And then she'd eat it. With gusto.

Every time.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on June 21, 2012, 04:12:29 pm
Let's be careful here though:  pizza is not a sandwich, even if it's a panzarotti or calzone.

This sentence makes no sense. A calzone is not a type of pizza.

FOOD FIGHT
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on June 21, 2012, 04:13:43 pm
If you ask someone to picture a bird, I guarantee the bird they will be picturing is not an ostrich. But guess what? AN OSTRICH IS STILL A BIRD.

So yes, things on buns are still sandwiches.

This is exactly the point I am trying to get Inev to explain from some old class notes so I don't have to.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 21, 2012, 04:40:48 pm
This sentence makes no sense. A calzone is not a type of pizza.

FOOD FIGHT

I really know nothing of calzones apart from the fact the store-brand pizza pops at the grocery store I frequent are called calzones and that Wikipedia calls calzones "folded pizza." I've certainly never had an authentic calzone because whenever I go to an authentic Italian restaurant I am a straight-up past whore. 
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 21, 2012, 04:47:56 pm
This is exactly the point I am trying to get Inev to explain from some old class notes so I don't have to.

Yeah, that's my thinking. Technically, a burger is a sandwich. But no one in their right mind CALLS it a sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on June 21, 2012, 04:49:29 pm
If I weren't on my way out the door and the search there wasn't so bad I'd find the Basic Instructions comic about open-face sandwiches. Somebody else, look into that until I get back.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on June 21, 2012, 05:21:06 pm
If I weren't on my way out the door and the search there wasn't so bad I'd find the Basic Instructions comic about open-face sandwiches. Somebody else, look into that until I get back.

Here it is: http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2010/5/23/how-to-agree-on-a-definition.html
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on June 21, 2012, 05:35:04 pm
I really know nothing of calzones apart from the fact the store-brand pizza pops at the grocery store I frequent are called calzones and that Wikipedia calls calzones "folded pizza."

What is the world coming to?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jaydub on June 21, 2012, 06:02:03 pm
Let's be careful here though:  pizza is not a sandwich, even if it's a panzarotti or calzone.
Paraphrasing Babbage, I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could compare a pizza with a sandwich.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: AugustWest on June 21, 2012, 06:05:58 pm
SHUT UP! Shut up, all of you.

God, I've never wanted to eat a sandwich less in my life!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 21, 2012, 06:45:03 pm
If you ask someone to picture a bird, I guarantee the bird they will be picturing is not an ostrich. But guess what? AN OSTRICH IS STILL A BIRD.

So yes, things on buns are still sandwiches. Also, I feel compelled to point out that no one here has yet gotten their pastrami in a twisty roll about the open-faced sandwich.
I was once assaulted by an ostrich. 3 years later I killed one and threw it on a grill. My ex's father said "You're one sick fuck" for that. PS its delicious.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on June 21, 2012, 06:56:56 pm
Yes. Ostrich is delicious. Like a turkey mated with a cow.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: pmcd9 on June 21, 2012, 07:17:51 pm
Where do we stand on the ice cream sandwich?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on June 21, 2012, 07:46:57 pm
SHUT UP! Shut up, all of you.

God, I've never wanted to eat a sandwich less in my life!

Really? I've been thinking about an egg salad on rye all day. I ordered one and it was delicious.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on June 21, 2012, 07:58:20 pm
Where do we stand on the ice cream sandwich?

Of course that is a sandwich. I swear to God if anyone argues the other way I will lock this thread so hard.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 21, 2012, 11:16:22 pm
Of course that is a sandwich. I swear to God if anyone argues the other way I will lock this thread so hard.

Only if a choco taco counts as a taco (it does).
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on June 22, 2012, 12:05:22 am
Guess what I had for supper, bitches?

A fish stick sandwich burrito! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guWo9YW_HLo)

Just to piss you off!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on June 22, 2012, 12:07:35 am
Here it is: http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2010/5/23/how-to-agree-on-a-definition.html

Enjoy your tiny can.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: miles on June 22, 2012, 02:45:11 am
This sentence makes no sense. A calzone is not a type of pizza.

FOOD FIGHT

Hey that reminds me, is pizza still pizza if you put pineapple and canadian bacon on top and dip it in ranch?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: theinevitable on June 22, 2012, 02:49:36 am
I want to take a picture of the monstrosity that my store calls a "fruit pizza." It is a big fruit danish. It is not even close to a pizza.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on June 22, 2012, 03:15:54 am
Hey that reminds me, is pizza still pizza if you put pineapple and canadian bacon on top and dip it in ranch?

is it dough spread thin with sauce and cheese? then it's pizza. (and yes, thick crust dough is spread thin compared to any loaf of bread, so fuck you for objecting to that)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: jay-ell on June 22, 2012, 04:05:29 am
Our local CiCi's sometimes has what they call "macaroni and cheese" pizza. Pizza crust, rotini, and copious cheese -- no sauce. It's disgusting to look at but oddly tasty, as long as you have an insulin syringe handy.

Also: I call it a "fish stick sandwich burrito" so that my kid will eat it, but really it's just a simple breaded fish taco.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 22, 2012, 04:11:21 am
Wow choop, it ain't even friday.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Choop on June 22, 2012, 05:26:44 am
JL, you sure it ain't a cheese sauce on that?

nDed, it was a quarter til Friday so fuck you for THAT

good god i gotta get outta town for a couple days
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: lprkn on June 22, 2012, 11:01:17 am
Only if a choco taco counts as a taco (it does).

Young guy at work, eating a choco taco: "Mmmmm, choco taco, the most magical of tacos."
Everybody else: "Perhaps a distant second, but nice thought."
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 22, 2012, 02:25:57 pm
I was once assaulted by an ostrich. 3 years later I killed one and threw it on a grill. My ex's father said "You're one sick fuck" for that. PS its delicious.

My wife's late grandmother was apparently attacked by a chicken when she was a small child, and developed a life-long aversion to eating chicken as a result. That makes no sense to me. I'd be all "I am going to eat as many of you fuckers as I possibly can."
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on June 22, 2012, 02:42:55 pm
My wife's late grandmother was apparently attacked by a chicken when she was a small child, and developed a life-long aversion to eating chicken as a result. That makes no sense to me. I'd be all "I am going to eat as many of you fuckers as I possibly can."

Did she fear attack by zombie chicken breast?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 22, 2012, 02:47:11 pm
Here is a thing I love : Sushi Pizza! (http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/332/1437842/160481/winnipeg-sushi-cushi-sushi-pizza-photo)  It's not even kind of a sandwich or a pizza for that matter.  It's a thin, round tempura coated disc of sushi rice, cut into triangle "slices," topped with raw diced tuna, salmon, avocado and roe tossed in sushi mayo,  drizzled with teryaki sauce and topped with deep fried grated carrots.  You eat it with your hands.  It is good.

edit: tags - choop
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on June 22, 2012, 04:01:10 pm
This interesting article
http://www.el-hai.com/blog/2012/6/21/13-weeks-eating-nothing-but-white-castle-hamburgers-in-the-n.html
reminded me of the fact that there was a time when the name of the dish was "hamburger sandwich."
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: CortJstr on June 22, 2012, 04:23:57 pm
Mmm-mmm, steamed hams!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 22, 2012, 04:35:44 pm
A proper burger's no worse for you than a plate of steak and mash, in my mind. It's the fries and soda/milkshake you got to watch out for.

Sushi Pizza! (http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/332/1437842/160481/winnipeg-sushi-cushi-sushi-pizza-photo)

Are you one of those people who don't actually like sushi but are just desperate for some kind of avocado/mayo/teriyaki sauce delivery system?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on June 22, 2012, 05:45:53 pm
This interesting article
http://www.el-hai.com/blog/2012/6/21/13-weeks-eating-nothing-but-white-castle-hamburgers-in-the-n.html
reminded me of the fact that there was a time when the name of the dish was "hamburger sandwich."

Fun fact: the "White Castle restaurant, Minneapolis" pictured in that article is actually the White Castle Jewelry store and has been for some time: http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2010/02/lyndale_white_c.php
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 22, 2012, 08:05:31 pm
Mmm-mmm, steamed hams!

Since when are you from upstate New York?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 22, 2012, 08:11:07 pm
Not all of upstate calls 'em that, though.

Mostly just those crafty Albanians.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 22, 2012, 08:42:04 pm
Are you one of those people who don't actually like sushi but are just desperate for some kind of avocado/mayo/teriyaki sauce delivery system?

No.  No.  I love straight raw tuna, raw salmon, raw scallop if the mood strikes...  I do love me some avocado though.  I heard on one of the original Iron Chef episodes that good tuna is best cooked on the tongue, and I think that's true.  I like to get some fatty tuna sashimi and just let the fat of the giraffe melt on my tongue.  Oh, man now I want sushi for dinner.  Also, this is a good time to seqway into a clip of several of my favorite things all mashed together:  sushi, corgi, kittens and Japan. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqg5nvS5w6A&feature=watch_response)
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on June 22, 2012, 08:55:03 pm
Hey Smells, what happened to that trip to Japan you were talking about? I'm going in September. Meet me in Tokyo!
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: nDed on June 22, 2012, 09:04:52 pm
Oh good. I have a friend who likes to roll each and every piece of sushi in a small bowl of teriyaki sauce for "even coverage." Watching the dude eat nigiri is heart breaking.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 22, 2012, 09:08:08 pm
That is more or less it with me.

I don't like most seafood but vegetable sushi is a hell of an excuse to eat avocados and wasabi and I am fuck*ng THERE.

I AM COMPLETELY THERE. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO BE ANY MORE THERE THAN THAT PLACE.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 22, 2012, 09:22:51 pm
Hey Smells, what happened to that trip to Japan you were talking about? I'm going in September. Meet me in Tokyo!

We are still hoping to go in September too!  We were waiting to see how/if I take well to being knocked up and also waiting to see about hubby's physical recovery as well as him possibly making a career change, which is still totally up in the air.  He had a recent backslide health wise, but is going okay again.  We'll still go if I'm pregnant so long as I'm not feeling like crap.  We'll likely only decide in late Aug/early Septemeber depending on both our physical states.  We were thinking of the end of September to line up with our anniversary and my birthday.  When are you going?  Why are you going?
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: wombat on June 22, 2012, 09:29:38 pm
I might miss you then, I am going the first two weeks. "Why" is just because. I have been swearing every year since my first trip there that this is the year I am going to go back, and this year my passport expired and I realized that meant it had been ten years.  So I got off my ass and bought a plane ticket. I guess I could still chicken out but it would cost me money.
Title: Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
Post by: side_show on June 22, 2012, 10:14:29 pm
Well I'm glad you're going.  I feel pretty sure we'll go too, but who knows what hormones and life will bring between now and then.