The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: pmcd9 on September 30, 2010, 06:49:41 pm

Title: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 30, 2010, 06:49:41 pm
We all have one, a family member or close friend who clogs our inbox with bullshit emails.  Forwarded emails filled with the most hateful, right wing, racist, sexist, homophobic, inaccurate, inane crap you can imagine.  You are loathe to mark their email address as spam though because occasionally they send you something that isn't forwarded and is of interest to you.

I'd like for this thread to be a kinda catalog of some of the more outrageous or unintentionally funny things that have landed in your email by your crazy _______.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 30, 2010, 06:51:36 pm
I'll get the ball rolling...

Here's a joke that my racist uncle sent me today.

Quote
Two black guys are at a bar talking, one says to the other, " you ever notice after you have sex with a white woman that your eyes burn, your nose burns and you get all teary-eyed?"

The second black guy says, "yeah, all  the time."

The other says, "why is that?"
 
The second says, "I think it's the pepper spray."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 30, 2010, 08:18:11 pm
Q: whats your favorite black metal band?
A: living colour
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on October 01, 2010, 02:29:55 pm
I had a meeting with a volunteer I manage, and I raised a concern about a joke he made about a woman he is helping out.  He is serving as a mentor to her son, so his job entails being respectful, non judgmental and supportive to the boy and his family, but he had made a disrespectful joke about the boy's mom's revolving door of boyfriends (she has dated two men in three years... not a revolving door).  When I raised this concern with him, he apologized and said he didn't mean it, that he respects the boy's mom and knows she loves the son and wants the best for him, which was good, but then a few minutes later he said "but you know, this was something I said in a group of women, and women, when they're in groups, don't listen."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 01, 2010, 03:29:08 pm
Zing!


What a tone-deaf fuckhead.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on October 01, 2010, 04:44:54 pm
Privatly, I call him "a tool"  he is the definition of being a tool about things.  His heart is in the right place though.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on October 01, 2010, 05:00:41 pm
... women, when they're in groups, don't listen."

That's totally unfair.

Women never listen.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on October 02, 2010, 04:53:54 am
What's that?  I wasn't listening.

Recently a dude was trying to mack on me while I was running a table at a volunteer recruitment fair and therefore was a captive audience.  He bragged extensively about competing as a body builder, while casually mentioning he hit his son and got in trouble with the law for this, as I tried to remain polite,  I think I tried to end the conversation 3 or 4 times before he finally left when other people approached me to hear about my program.  After they left he came back and said, while raising his eyebrows suggestively and making goo-goo eyes at me " I'm going to go eat some oatmeal."  Me: "Enjoy."  Him:  "Have you had breakfast?"  Me: "Yes.  (long pause, much eyebrows from body builder dude) Enjoy your oatmeal." 

Oatmeal?  Oatmeal?  Is that what sexy times is for a roided out creepy dude? 

 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 02, 2010, 05:10:10 am
Oh man, people are still macking?

Seriously though, bodybuilders are fucked up. I'm totally biased though, because a bodybuilder broke my sister's heart, and I could just kill the fucker.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 02, 2010, 05:11:19 am
As long there are stupid men who aren't old yet, there will be macking.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 02, 2010, 05:40:42 am
As long there are stupid men who aren't old yet, there will be macking.

What, old men can't mack?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 02, 2010, 05:46:06 am
You don't START macking when you're old.

If someone is crazy enough to be macking at 70, he was at 20.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: lprkn on October 03, 2010, 04:19:19 pm
My dad sent me this:

"Obama is politically motivated by one thing, the imposition of his destructive social agenda. He holds disdain for the military, was forced into the role of Commander-in-Chief and has little interest in involving himself in the detail of wartime decision making. He is approaching these duties like a woman who sees a penis in her kitchen. He leaps onto a chair, broom in hand, and has no idea what to do but shriek in horror. He would rather be buns up in a San Francisco bath house than in a room full of military leaders making the tough decisions. He is the enemy within.

 

Spanky Hammond

LtCol USMC (Ret)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on October 05, 2010, 08:22:29 pm
"He is approaching these duties like a woman who sees a penis in her kitchen. He leaps onto a chair, broom in hand, and has no idea what to do but shriek in horror."

Sad.

Sometimes I wonder if there is hope for your beautiful country.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 05, 2010, 08:38:50 pm
Probably not.

Rome had to fall and they left some nice roads and postal routes for everyone to keep using.

The business bastards have too much power to rile up the idiots and they're closing down our schools so that there'll be more idiots to rile.

The full retreat into a rump state might not happen in my lifetime but... a few generations.

May we not bring down lovely Canada with us as we go.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on October 05, 2010, 10:00:25 pm
I always thought macking was what the British called snogging - Public Displays of Affection, in other words.  What the dude in SS's tale was doing is "hitting on" her.  I reserve the right to be in the uncultured minority on the point however.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 06, 2010, 06:26:18 am
I've heard both uses, but more often I think macking means "hitting on."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on October 06, 2010, 09:12:21 am
I always thought macking was what the British called snogging - Public Displays of Affection, in other words.  What the dude in SS's tale was doing is "hitting on" her.  I reserve the right to be in the uncultured minority on the point however.

I stand with my countryman on this one.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: robot_god on October 06, 2010, 09:38:31 am
Over here (where it matters), it is synonymous with "running yo game."  You would say something like, "I'm gon mack it to this broad."  Also a mack is a noun as referenced in this classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1D9wWxd2w
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on October 06, 2010, 02:15:27 pm
Wait...shit...if I got that in an email I'd totally think it would fit in this thread...shit.

Shit my self says
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 06, 2010, 06:09:26 pm
I volunteer in an adult literacy/GED class. The supervisor loudly proclaims her amazement at the low reading levels of some of the students and wonders how they got to wherever they are in life. She thinks that this is out of earshot of the students, but it often is not.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 06, 2010, 06:13:31 pm
I volunteer in an adult literacy/GED class. The supervisor loudly proclaims her amazement at the low reading levels of some of the students and wonders how they got to wherever they are in life. She thinks that this is out of earshot of the students, but it often is not.

We need more shame based learning.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on October 06, 2010, 10:19:32 pm
We need more shame based learning.
Hove some dignity.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 07, 2010, 01:41:18 am
recently my mom sent me an email about how anyone can achieve anything they want in America, and if they don't they aren't trying hard enough, and called out her best friend for deciding to not go to college. Then she compared this woman to my dad's success, which... they are not at all in the same circumstances, never were, these stories are completely different.

she also has really abrasive opinions about illegal immigrants. This is hard, because anti-immigrant sentiment is one of the things that makes me so mad that I start feeling sick to my stomach.
She talks about how she became a legal citizen, it isn't that hard, etc, as if she didn't have any advantages going into the whole process.

...I also kind of think, sometimes, that she would be one of those customers who would yell at me in order to get her way.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 07, 2010, 02:05:08 am
There's another reason that it's good to have the job you have, so you don't grow up to be one of those people. If it runs in your family, even more important you get inoculated against it. The Technical Staff has never had a job like that, and although he certainly doesn't yell at people, he makes no effort to be nice to them, to say thank you or anything, and I always have to watch how he tips. He has no empathy for them.

OK, I feel fortunate that this is the latest email my mom forwarded:

Quote
In 1986, Peter Davies was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University .

On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully. He got down on one knee, inspected the elephants foot, and found a large piece of wood deeply embedded in it. As carefully and as gently as he could, Peter worked the wood out with his knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its foot.

The elephant turned to face the man, and with a rather curious look on its face, stared at him for several tense moments. Peter stood frozen, thinking of nothing else but being trampled. Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned, and walked away. Peter never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.

Twenty years later, Peter was walking through the Chicago Zoo with his teenaged son. As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to near where Peter and his son Cameron were standing. The large bull elephant stared at Peter, lifted its front foot off the ground, then put it down. The elephant did that several times then trumpeted loudly, all the while staring at the man.

Remembering the encounter in 1986, Peter could not help wondering if this was the same elephant. Peter summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing, and made his way into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder. The elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Peter legs and slammed him against the railing, killing him instantly.

Probably wasn't the same fuck*ng elephant.

This is for everyone who sends me those heart-warming bullshit stories.
 

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 07, 2010, 02:28:39 am
I've gotten that one from my uncle too.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on October 07, 2010, 02:48:31 am
Wombat your mum is awesome.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 07, 2010, 02:15:33 pm
As I mentioned elsewhere, my mother recently told me, "You need to watch more television so you know what it's like in the world."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 07, 2010, 03:04:47 pm
As I mentioned elsewhere, my mother recently told me, "You need to watch more television so you know what it's like in the world."

she's talking about pop culture, right?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 07, 2010, 03:14:21 pm
No, she was trying to explain to me how Dangerous things are, and why I should not travel alone.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 07, 2010, 04:04:48 pm
my mother recently told me, "You need to watch more television so you know what it's like in the world."

She means she wants you to watch the 6 o'clock news or as someone on this board dubbed it "The Fear Show."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 07, 2010, 04:08:37 pm
She also brought up some cases of women who have been abducted, which further exploration reveals were on some of the more popular crime shows. "But they could happen!"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 07, 2010, 04:22:36 pm
maybe wear a fake mustache when you travel alone, so abductors wont know that youre a lady?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 07, 2010, 04:26:15 pm
You are about ten thousand times more likely to die in a car crash, and she is worrying about you travelling because you might get abducted?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 07, 2010, 04:33:33 pm
Yeah, see, this is why it's funny!

She is just worried about my safety, it's not really her fault she's been brainwashed by the mainstream news media. Regardless, I am more or less and adult and she is, contrary to popular opinion, not the boss of me.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 07, 2010, 10:54:29 pm
About a year ago, a co-worker of mine forwarded the email about the Bush cabinet's education/work experience vs. that of leading dem/lib celebrities. (http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/smarter.asp) So I went through it and took some notes and read up about the specifics, and sort of refuted it point by point. He never really responded, but then again this is the guy who posted a note on FB this week about how he wanted to gun liberals down in the street with his shotgun. So that's pretty fun.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 07, 2010, 11:11:17 pm
wombat-- I am pretty sure she has had jobs like this (I forget the specific list of crappy jobs she had in high school/after college) but she has explained to me that sometimes, being a pain in the ass is the only way to get your way.

in re: technical staff... for some reason I am extremely forgiving of men who are not-particularly-polite at the grocery store. If they do something like throw the money on the counter distractedly, or not answer when I ask how they are, I do not really take it personally. I actually do this for most people, but for some reason men get an extra "I don't know what I'm doing, I am bad at grocery shopping" allowance.

I'm hoping this job will help me take things less personally in general, but I'm not holding my breath.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 07, 2010, 11:21:18 pm
No, she was trying to explain to me how Dangerous things are, and why I should not travel alone.

Well she's right. Do you not watch Law & Order: SVU? It's a dangerous world out there for women/children/gay men.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 07, 2010, 11:27:59 pm
wombat-- I am pretty sure she has had jobs like this (I forget the specific list of crappy jobs she had in high school/after college) but she has explained to me that sometimes, being a pain in the ass is the only way to get your way.

The problem with this argument is that many people conclude that being a pain in the ass is the ONLY way to get your way. Which is the opposite of true. Possibly the worst way to get your way is to start out being a pain in the ass before even finding out whether you're going to have a problem getting your way.

It is nice that you would give the Tech Staff a pass for being bad at grocery shopping. I was considerably less charitable after having to work all weekend and coming home to find no food in the house for the rest of the week. It did not even occur to him to take action on this. Apparently he thinks that the groceries appear by magic.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 07, 2010, 11:51:38 pm
oh, that isn't being bad at grocery shopping, that is being a pain.

I'm talking more... if he went to the grocery store and bought really stupid combinations of things. or put all the food in the cart in such a way that the bread, eggs, etc. were all crushed.

The more I think about this, I think I just give men permission to be grumpy/unfriendly. I will try to extend similar forgiveness to women in the future.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 08, 2010, 12:00:14 am
[[sings]]
...everybody get together try to love one another right now
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2010, 08:05:02 am
Thoughts about healthcare from Maxine care of my Uncle.

Quote
Let me get this straight.  We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn't read it but exempts themselves from it, to be signed by a president who also smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke.

What the hell could possibly go wrong?

The joke at the heart of all Maxine cartoons is that it didn't matter what crazy assed nonsense came out of her mouth it's (allegedly) funny because she's a cranky old lady, all cynical and jaded.  A lot of it has to do with the deliver, I think.  In this instance, and in several other Maxine missives I've seen in recent times she has been recast as the voice of reason against whatever the right wing is opposed to.  Of course, this being a forwarded email it likely as not has nothing to do with Maxine. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2010, 01:45:17 pm
Thanks to a comment Paul made several years back about responded to his mom with Snopes links, I now commonly respond to forwards of false information was such, usually explaining what Snopes is and how one might consider checking their site before forwarding false emails, and cutting and pasting a few lines from the Snopes post disproving what ever the false claim is into my response.

I once had a coworker forward the drinking cold water causes cancer/the right way to eat fruit (http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/fruit.asp) to our entire office, which was full of new age ignoramuses who instantly started freaking out about the cold water thing, including one coworker who's husband has cancer.  I checked Snopes, it was fake and responded as such.  She sent out a friendly retraction email to all our coworkers, plus to her friend who had also forwarded it to his entire office as well as to her.  His response to her, which she forwarded to me, was pretty bizarre.  It was something along the lines of "why would you believe her over me?  Do you think she's smarter than ME?  Is she a doctor?  This email was written by a doctor!" The version forwarded had a fake doctor's name at the end, which when googled only brought up hits related to the hoax. Odd that he took it so personally since it's not like he wrote the thing himself.  Even worse was that he took the so-called doctor as an authority just because someone signed the email with a fake name with Dr. in front of it.  I responded as such, and he responded with the wonderful "some people have too much time on their hands" response, to which I responded "It took me less than 5 minutes to check the authenticity of the forwarded email.  Think of the amount of time and effort wasted for each person who believes they must eat fruit only at certain times and certain ways because of this message, and think of anyone who believe the information and no longer enjoys a nice cold drink of water out of fear."  He finally surrendered after that, but I was still astounded that he held so firmly to believing the email that he felt the need to defend it. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2010, 02:39:07 pm
Thoughts about healthcare from Maxine care of my Uncle. [snip]

My BFF's ten-year-old daughter's reading teacher used mandatory healthcare as an example of a "bad law" in class. BFF is horrified and is going to call the school on Monday to complain. WTF, teacher?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 10, 2010, 10:05:34 pm
Every time I have disabused someone of their wrongheaded notions through the use of Snopes (and this used to happen a lot, before I got tired of being attacked for it) I have been thoroughly flabbergasted by their need to defend whatever it is to the death. People invest a lot of themselves in this stuff, and if they've been taken in (especially if it feeds into their own confirmation bias) they get really shitty about it. I tried to explain to our very, very sweet and inoffensive Admin at the print shop in college that Mrs. Fields wasn't charging $250 for her recipe, and would probably not give it away for $25000, given it's how she makes her living. She would not give an inch, and got sort of heated about it. I ended up giving up.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 11, 2010, 10:16:47 pm
This gem just came in from my uncle.

The email was titled Soooooooooo True!

Quote
I Am the Democratic Liberal-Progressive's Worst Nightmare.
I am an White, Conservative, Tax-Paying, American Veteran, Gun Owning Biker.
I am a Master leatherworker. I work hard and long hours with my hands to earn a living.

I believe in God and the freedom of religion, but I don't push it on others.
I ride Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and drive American-made cars, and I believe in American products and buy them whenever I can.

I believe the money I make belongs to me and not some liberal governmental functionary, Democratic or Republican, that wants to share it with others who don't work!

I'm in touch with my feelings and I like it that way!

I think owning a gun doesn't make you a killer; it makes you a smart American.

I think being a minority does not make you noble or victimized, and does not entitle you to anything. Get over it!

I believe that if you are selling me a Big Mac or any other item, you should do it in English. I believe there should be no other language option.

I believe everyone has a right to pray to his or her God if, when and where they want to.
   
My heroes are Malcolm Forbes, Bill Gates, John Wayne, Babe Ruth, Roy Rogers, and Willie G. Davidson, who makes the awesome Harley Davidson Motorcycles.

I don't hate the rich. I don't pity the poor.

I know wrestling is fake and I don't waste my time watching or arguing about it.

I've never owned a slave, nor was a slave. I haven't burned any witches or been persecuted by the Turks, and neither have you!

I believe if you don't like the way things are here, go back to where you came from and change your own country!

This is AMERICA ...We like it the way it is and more so the way it was ...so stop trying to change it to look like Russia or China, or other socialist countries!

If you were born here and don't like it... you are free to move to any Socialist country that will have you.  (And take Barack Hussein Obama and his group with you.)   Massachusetts started the ball rolling.  Keep it going.

I believe it is time to really clean house, starting with the White House, the seat of our biggest problems.

I want to know which church is it, exactly, where the Reverend Jesse Jackson preaches, where he gets his money, and why he is always part of the problem and not the solution.

Can I get an AMEN on that one?

I also think the cops have the right to pull you over if you're breaking the law, regardless of what color you are, but not just because you happen to ride a bike.

And, no, I don't mind having my face shown on my driver's license.

I think it's good....  And I'm proud that 'God' is written on my money..

I think if you are too stupid to know how a ballot works, I don't want you deciding who should be running the most powerful nation in the world for the next four years.

I dislike those people standing in the intersections trying to sell me stuff or trying to guilt me into making 'donations' to their cause....  Get a job and do your part to support yourself and your family!

I believe that it doesn't take a village to raise a child, it takes two parents....

I believe 'illegal' is illegal no matter what the lawyers think!

I believe the American flag should be the only one allowed in AMERICA !

If this makes me a BAD American, then yes, I'm a BAD American.

If you are a BAD American too, please forward this to everyone you know....

We want our country back!   My Country.....

I hope this offends all illegal aliens.

My great, great, great, great grandfather watched and bled as his friends died in the Revolution & the War of 1812. 
My great, great, great grandfather watched as his friends died in the Mexican American War,
My great, great grandfather watched as his friends & brothers died in the Civil War,
My great grandfather watched as his friends died in the Spanish-American War,
My grandfather watched as his friends died in WW I,
My father watched as his friends died in WW II,

I watched as my friends died in  Vietnam, Panama & Desert Storm.

My son watched & bled as his friends  have died in Afghanistan and Iraq .
None of them died for the Mexican Flag. Everyone died for the American flag.

Texas high school students raised a Mexican flag on a school flag pole, other students took it down. Guess who was expelled...the students who took it down.

California  high school students were sent home on Cinco de Mayo, because they wore T-shirts with the American flag printed on them.

Enough is enough

This message needs to be viewed by every American; and every American needs to stand up for America .

We've bent over to appease the America-haters long enough. I'm taking a stand.

I'm standing up because the hundreds of thousands who died fighting in wars for this country, and for the American flag.

If you agree, stand up with me. If you disagree, please let me know.  I will gladly remove you from my e-mail list.

And shame on anyone who tries to make this a racist message.

AMERICANS, stop giving away Your RIGHTS !

Let me make this clear! THIS IS MY COUNTRY !

This statement DOES NOT mean I'm against immigration !

YOU ARE WELCOME HERE, IN MY COUNTRY, welcome to come legally:

1. Get  a sponsor !

2. Learn the LANGUAGE, as immigrants have in the past !

3. Live by OUR rules !

4. Get a job !

5. Pay YOUR Taxes !

6. No Social Security until you have earned it and Paid for it !

7. NOW find a place to lay your head !

If you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone, then YOU'RE  PART OF THE PROBLEM !

We've gone so far the other way . . .  bent over backwards not to offend anyone.

I don't care if you are offended.

Why doesn't anyone care if I am offended?

WAKE UP America ! ! !
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 11, 2010, 10:43:09 pm
I hope that no one ever died for a flag.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 12, 2010, 12:12:47 am
Quote
I believe the American flag should be the only one allowed in AMERICA !

I demand that all state flags be taken down. Especially the flags of those crazy secession-talking states Alaska and Texas.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on October 12, 2010, 12:43:53 am
does like nobody know that ben franklin thought an instituted national language would be counter to the goals he and his bros were laying out.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 12, 2010, 01:53:21 am
does like nobody know that ben franklin thought an instituted national language would be counter to the goals he and his bros were laying out.

I was going to ask what folks here thought about this issue, but I didn't want to be held responsible for the outcome. But now that you've brought it up...

I heard recently that a lot of conservatives aren't too fond of Thomas Jefferson, and it wouldn't surprise me if Ben has his share of haters in certain circles.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 12, 2010, 01:56:15 am
What do they think of Thomas Paine?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 12, 2010, 02:30:00 am
They were all golden gooses that sometimes shit a rotten egg, is what I'm saying.

do you ever know how to trim the fat.  you get a can for the rad idea-butchery.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 12, 2010, 02:40:06 am
As far as the flag goes, in my opinion, the flag's a wonderful thing but the idea of suppressing First Amendent rights to protect a symbol of that very type of freedom is, like, a mind-bending example of how far people will go to try and twist the American ideals into some kind of watered-down reused-coffee-grounds twice-baked fascism.

I don't know how much more you can miss the point of this currently-shaky experiment.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 12, 2010, 03:00:40 am
Unc is on a roll today...

Quote
Isn't this depressing?
 
Current European tax rates:

United Kingdom
Income Tax: 50%
VAT: 17.5% TOTAL: 67.5%

France
Income Tax: 40%
VAT: 19.6% TOTAL: 59.6%

Greece
Income Tax: 40%
VAT: 25% TOTAL: 65%

Spain
Income Tax: 45%
VAT: 16% TOTAL: 61%

Portugal
Income Tax: 42%
VAT: 20% TOTAL: 62%

Sweden
Income Tax: 55%
VAT: 25% TOTAL: 80%

Norway
Income Tax: 54.3%
VAT: 25% TOTAL: 79.3%

Netherlands
Income Tax: 52%
VAT: 19% TOTAL: 71%

Denmark
Income Tax: 58%
VAT: 25% TOTAL: 83%

Finland
Income Tax: 53%
VAT: 22% TOTAL: 75%

If youve started to wonder what the real costs of socialism are going to be,
once the full program in these United States hits your wallet, take a look
at the table. As you digest these mind-boggling figures, keep in mind that
in spite of these astronomical tax rates, these countries are still not
financing their social welfare programs exclusively from tax revenues! They
are deeply mired in public debt of gargantuan proportions. Greece has
reached the point where its debt is so huge it is in imminent danger of
defaulting. That is the reason the European economic community has
intervened to bail them out. If youre following the financial news, you
know Spain and Portugal are right behind Greece .

The United States is now heading right down the same path. The VAT tax in
the table is the national sales tax that Europeans pay. Stay tuned because
that is exactly what you can expect to see the administration proposing
after the fall elections. The initial percentage in the United States isnt
going to be anywhere near the outrageous numbers you now see in Europe .
Guess what, the current outrageous numbers in Europe didnt start out as
outrageous either. They started out as minisculeright around the 1% or 2%
where they will start out in the United States . Magically however, they
ran up over the years to where they are now. Expect the same thing here.

It is the notion that with hard work and perseverance, anybody can get ahead
economically here. Do you think that can ever happen with tax rates between
60% and 80%? Think again. With the government taking that percentage of
your money, your life will be exactly like life in Europe . You will never
be able to buy a home. You will never buy a car. You will never send your
children to college. Lets not shuffle the battle cry of the socialists
under the rug either. Its always the same cry. Equalize income. Spread
the wealth to the poor (whoever they are). Level the economic playing
field. Accomplish that and everything will be rosy.

Its time to take a really hard look at reality. Greece is a perfect
example. Despite the socialism system that has ruled this country for
decades, with a 65% tax rate, they are drowning in public debt, would have
defaulted without hundreds of billions in bailout money, and still. . .20%
of their population lives in poverty. What has all that socialism money
bought, besides ultimate power for the politicians running the show? Do you
think these people are "free"? They're not. They are slaves to their
economic "system."

This is where we are going unless we throw the present Congress and Obama
out.

Instead of spreading the wealth around, spread this around. It might wake
some people up.
--
IN GOD WE TRUST
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on October 12, 2010, 03:24:29 am
Those poor carless, homeless, uneducated Europeans.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 12, 2010, 04:15:06 am
I love how emails like that have so many bizarre non-sequiturs.

it reminds me of Basil Marceaux. (http://politics.freesitenow.com/basilmarceauxforgovernor/)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on October 12, 2010, 07:49:44 am
Whenever I read something about US politics it seems that the person writing is almost always convinced that if the other guy wins it will literally mean the end of the world. There's just a level of drama that we don't get in politics over here. But I guess I read more entertaining/fringy stuff about other countries politics than I do about my own.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 12, 2010, 12:38:16 pm
Whenever I read something about US politics it seems that the person writing is almost always convinced that if the other guy wins it will literally mean the end of the world.

the loudest asshole gets the most attention.  the fringe-y drama queens are the loudest because why else would people care about thier ideas?  like that stereotypical homeless guy with the sandwich board that reads, "the end is near" on one side and, "repent ye" on the other.  if he just stood there quietly, passers by would have an easier time paying him no mind.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on October 12, 2010, 01:28:47 pm
I'm quite glad that patriots have...at least for the symbolism and shared belief it indicates, if not the physical entity.

But yeah, nice rabble-rousing in that one.

Semantics, Ash, semantics.  You guys are making the exactly same point.

I'm glad patriots have died for what the flag symbolizes.  I despise when "patriots" conflate the piece of cloth with what it symbolizes.  It makes my blood boil when cynics intentionally confuse the symbol and the symbolized.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on October 12, 2010, 01:43:14 pm
"the end is near" on one side and, "repent ye" on the other.  if he just stood there quietly, passers by would have an easier time paying him no mind.

A friend and I were thrilled when we actually saw a guy with that sign (or at least the 'the end is near' half) in the valley (downtown sort of area) one day and then were incredibly disappointed when it turned out the other side of his sign was about a local record store having a closing down sale. What a cynical age we live in.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on October 12, 2010, 05:22:48 pm
I'm always up for some antics.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 12, 2010, 06:24:24 pm
shit my self says:

when my GF's parents were here, I blurted out a racist joke.

umm.

or rather, I started to say it, covered my mouth in horror, and then my girlfriend finished my sentence as if it were not an embarrassing thing to say.

"shit my girlfriend tolerates."

this was before someone suggested ethiopian food and her dad made a classic joke response.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 12, 2010, 06:48:08 pm
There's a classic response to the suggestion of Ethiopian food?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 12, 2010, 06:59:55 pm
Yeah, the classic response is something along the lines of jovially questioning the entire notion of a national cuisine in a country known almost only for famine.

As opposed to the the truth, of course, that it is a thriving varied and generally disgusting cuisine.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on October 12, 2010, 07:07:25 pm
I like everything about Ethiopian food except the bread. I also dislike Red Lobster's biscuits and Chik-Fil-A's sandwiches (fuck*ng pickles).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 12, 2010, 08:15:17 pm
I just order my Chick-Fil-A without the pickle. Not a problem. (I don't feel bad about this because I worked at Chick-Fil-A in college so I know for a fact that roughly 1/3 of the population doesn't like pickles, and leaving them off is no big deal).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on October 12, 2010, 08:31:16 pm
I just order my Chick-Fil-A without the pickle. Not a problem. (I don't feel bad about this because I worked at Chick-Fil-A in college so I know for a fact that roughly 1/3 of the population doesn't like pickles, and leaving them off is no big deal).

The only Chick-Fil-A I've been to was in college and they just slid sandwiches and stuff down the chutes. You couldn't order you could only choose from what was in the chutes. Of course now I only eat Chick-Fil-A on Sundays.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on October 12, 2010, 09:54:11 pm
the biscuits are red lobster's only redeeming facet. re:chikfila i'll take those pickles you don't want, and add some mayo. mmmmmmm.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 12, 2010, 10:33:24 pm
Dude, everybody knows the mayo goes on the waffle fries.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on October 12, 2010, 10:47:50 pm
after nearly choking to death on a waffle fry, i opt for two sandwiches instead of a sandwich and those horrifying jagged discs of death
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 12, 2010, 11:06:30 pm
Man, my uncle keeps knocking them out of the park.

This one was titled Dallas Solution.  While it's true that Dallas will tow and impound any car that fails to show proof of insurance if pulled over (http://www.dallascityhall.com/police/towing.html), it's kind of a stretch to say that this is a nefarious scheme to rid the city of illegal immigrants.  More likely it's simply a desperate money grab by yet another city suffering from staggering municipal debt.  And of course, it's even worse to boast in an email that you are pleased that this is taking place.

Quote
Get 'em off the road WITHOUT making 'em show proof of nationality. Wonder how the ACLU or the Justice Department will get around this one.

Dallas TX's solution to Illegals...Brilliant!!!!
 
Recently, in the City of Dallas, Texas, they passed an ordinance that if you are pulled over by law enforcement and not able to provide proof of insurance, your car will be towed right away. Afterwards, to retrieve your car after being impounded, you must require proof of insurance to have your car released. This has made it easy for the City of Dallas to remove uninsured cars that are typically driven by mostly illegals. Shortly after "No insurance" ordinance was passed, the Dallas impound lots began to fill up quickly and was full after nine days. Most of the impounded cars were driven by illegals. Not only must you provide proof of insurance to have your car released, you have to pay for the cost of the tow, a $350 fine, and charged $20 for every day their car is kept in the lot. I would suggest other cities across the nation to follow what Dallas , Texas is doing. Not only is it getting uninsured drivers off the road, but it is taking away vehicles driven by illegals that have no insurance.
 
Brings a tear to my eye!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 12, 2010, 11:39:45 pm
Mayo on fries?

Are Southerners secretly French-Canadian?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 13, 2010, 12:31:54 am
oh man, the pickles are ESSENTIAL to chik-fil-a sandwiches.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 13, 2010, 12:54:27 am
Mayo on fries?

Are Southerners secretly French-Canadian?

You guys keep mistaking me for a "Southerner" just because I live here.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on October 13, 2010, 01:23:02 am
with fast food i don't bother with anything on fries. giraffe & chips? malt vinegar. always. pub food? mayo hell yeah
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on October 13, 2010, 01:38:48 am
Mayo on fries?

Are Southerners secretly French-Canadian?

Cheese curds and gravy on fries is French Canadian.  Mayo on fries is Belgian/Flemish/Other European. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 13, 2010, 02:16:28 am
Quote from: Choop
giraffe & chips? malt vinegar. always.

the filter that keeps on giving
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 13, 2010, 02:29:32 am
Man, my uncle keeps knocking them out of the park.

This one was titled Dallas Solution.  While it's true that Dallas will tow and impound any car that fails to show proof of insurance if pulled over (http://www.dallascityhall.com/police/towing.html), it's kind of a stretch to say that this is a nefarious scheme to rid the city of illegal immigrants.  More likely it's simply a desperate money grab by yet another city suffering from staggering municipal debt.  And of course, it's even worse to boast in an email that you are pleased that this is taking place.


Driving without proof of insurance is not cool. What's the problem with enforcing that? Is it that the fine is a bit too stiff, and the chances of getting caught are too low?

I think it's funny that this instance of the government forcing folks to buy insurance is considered fantastic, while in a certain other arena it's not.

When I visited my dad's house today, he was listening to Rush Limbaugh and writing a letter to the local board of elections. For real.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 13, 2010, 02:50:05 am
Well, no one is forced to drive. I think that's the difference.

Most places just issue a ticket and require you to show up in court or otherwise show that you had insurance at the time. There is a hefty fine if can not produce proof in court.

A tow and large fine simply for lack of proof at the moment seems heavy handed. What if you hadn't got around to putting the new card in your car yet? What if you thought you had it, but it couldn't find it when you were pulled over?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 13, 2010, 03:23:52 am
Man, my uncle keeps knocking them out of the park.

This one was titled Dallas Solution.

First thing I assumed was Mannlicher-Carcano.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 13, 2010, 03:24:31 am
after nearly choking to death on a waffle fry, i opt for two sandwiches instead of a sandwich and those horrifying jagged discs of death

Hell yeah, two sandwiches (with pickles) and a side of coleslaw. And sweet tea.

Cheese curds and gravy on fries is French Canadian.  Mayo on fries is Belgian/Flemish/Other European. 

They do it in Germany too. Is it all of Europe?

There's a really good Belgian fries place in Salt Lake. Like probably the best fries in the western United States. You can get mayo but also other really good sauces, and if you don't like any of the sauces the fries stand on their own.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 13, 2010, 04:24:04 am
I saw this posted on Facebook and actually thought it was pretty funny.

Quote
Regarding the mosque near ground zero, I say let them build it. But across the street, we should put a topless bar, called "You Mecca Me Hot". Next to that, a gay bar called "The Turban Cowboy" and next to that, a pork-rib restaurant called "Iraq o' Ribs" And a check cashing center called... "Iran out of money."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 13, 2010, 04:27:37 am
What, no "Ramadan Inn" joke?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 13, 2010, 01:13:46 pm
And of course, it's even worse to boast in an email that you are pleased that this is taking place.

Right up until they impound HIS car because he lost his insurance card or some other technicality.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 13, 2010, 02:30:43 pm
Just for the record, I am in favor of having insurance coverage on my vehicles and I am pro enforcement of laws that require such.  Hey, if there were less uninsured motorist collisions it might lower my rates.

Where that email goes wrong is asserting that this law was designed specifically to punish illegal aliens and gloating over it's (alleged) success.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 13, 2010, 02:53:06 pm
I saw this posted on Facebook and actually thought it was pretty funny.


I saw something similar and thought, "Oh. They've been to New York then."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on October 13, 2010, 03:00:49 pm
The problem is that mandatory auto insurance requirements are a bitch to enforce.  It's very easy to circumvent having to provide proof of insurance when you register you car -- there are tons of places that will sign you up for a fairly modest initial payment, then drop your coverage when you don't make a second payment.  So if all you need is an insurance card for the day you're going to register your vehicle -- no problem.

Ironic that we'd be having this discussion today.  I just heard from daughter Lucy, who was involved in a hit and run fender bender a couple hours ago.  Sigh.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 13, 2010, 03:05:25 pm
did I tell you guys that a couple weeks ago, I damaged someone's car for the first time ever, and it happened to be the day after my registration expired? I had just left the DMV to go get some paperwork I forgot at home. Pulling over to run into the bank, I scraped the shit out of this guy's back fender trying to parallel park. Then he came out of the business we were in front of, and told me "whatever, man, I'm not too worried about it."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 13, 2010, 04:24:27 pm
The problem is that mandatory auto insurance requirements are a bitch to enforce.  It's very easy to circumvent having to provide proof of insurance when you register you car -- there are tons of places that will sign you up for a fairly modest initial payment, then drop your coverage when you don't make a second payment.  So if all you need is an insurance card for the day you're going to register your vehicle -- no problem.

Ironic that we'd be having this discussion today.  I just heard from daughter Lucy, who was involved in a hit and run fender bender a couple hours ago.  Sigh.

I'm sorry this happened.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 13, 2010, 06:31:54 pm
Ash, the remedy for poor insurance compliance is higher fines. IIRC, in Illinois the fine is $500 (more than I paid for yearly above-minimum liability coverage). You also must prove that you have purchased insurance or face suspension of your license, etc.

Car impounding is heavy-handed because storage fees quickly rack up. If you can't come up with money quickly, then you'll likely lose your car.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 13, 2010, 07:29:27 pm
I wish that the powers that be would be more willing to de-car or incarcerate folks that did fucked up things on the road (no insurance, no license, no registration, DUI/DWI, driving while texting, etc). We are too willing to keep letting people drive when they demonstrably have no business doing so. We try not to let people randomly discharge firearms into crowds, and yet we are really pretty lax about letting people pilot multi-ton death machines around with very little attention actually on the task at hand.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on October 13, 2010, 10:22:55 pm
we are really pretty lax about letting people pilot multi-ton death machines around with very little attention actually on the task at hand.
This.

I'm studying for my motorcycle driver's license now.  The book essentially calls motorists oblivious jack-offs.  It boggles my mind that we allow this state of affairs to be business-as-usual.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 13, 2010, 10:28:30 pm
so, sometimes I look at/send text messages when my car is stopped at a red light. My friends yell at me for this. Am I the bad guy here?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 13, 2010, 10:30:35 pm
Dude, the fine out here is $1K plus court fees (translate that to an end bill of ~$1700 or a week in the pokey if you got more time than money) and it ain't working.
In that case, I'd agree that impounding might be the only solution.

I agree that it doesn't have much to do with immigration status.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 13, 2010, 10:38:52 pm
so, sometimes I look at/send text messages when my car is stopped at a red light. My friends yell at me for this. Am I the bad guy here?

Yes. Anything involving a cellphone is an In Park Only thing, just like cookies are a sometimes food.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 13, 2010, 11:11:46 pm
so, sometimes I look at/send text messages when my car is stopped at a red light. My friends yell at me for this. Am I the bad guy here?

I do it too. I know it's wrong, but I do it anyway, because I can't quite imagine any situation where it would cause an accident. Worst-case scenario, I miss the green light...and only that if there's nobody behind me to honk 0.5 seconds after the light has changed.

So help me become a better driver -- why should I not send a quick text at a red light?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 13, 2010, 11:20:25 pm
So help me become a better driver -- why should I not send a quick text at a red light?

I would say only:
a) the delay at the red light thing, which you addressed, and
b) you should still be paying attention to your surroundings even if your vehicle has stopped. You should try to be ready to take action if things go to shit around you. Many people do not do this, though.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 13, 2010, 11:23:59 pm
Mainly because of all the crazy shit other people can do despite there being a red light.

A lot of the jobs in my working life have either been all driving or half driving and... so many of the accidents I've seen happen with someone blowing a red light or cheating some kind of fuck*ng weird illegal turn or doing something else ridiculous that ends up impacting someone legally idling at the red but couldn't react fast enough to correct. Or, hell, being first at a red and not reacting when the driver behind them goes Pavlovian and guns their engine at the flick of green and they get rammed.

Unless it is like three in the morning or on an empty highway, I basically drive with an intense defensive paranoia that is not unwarranted for a machine that could kill with one wrong move.

But it serves me pretty well.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 13, 2010, 11:27:54 pm
I have on a couple of occasions pulled out of someone's way before they nailed me. However, I have also once not been paying attention and gotten tagged when I could have avoided it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 13, 2010, 11:28:18 pm
PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE. That's the main thing.

When I was a kid a teacher told me to pay attention, I guess I took it to heart.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 14, 2010, 01:32:21 am
damn, I am constantly impressed by my brother and sister. They are both turning into like... really assertive, good-at-arguing people who call people out on their shit, and get what they want/deserve.

my sister posted this really angry thing on facebook about some "multiculturalism" thing they had at her school, and my brother's best friend posted a weird, "in my official capacity"-style apology letter in response. On her facebook. "I know the issue is personal for you and your family, and hope this particular incident did not tarnish the spirit with which the rest of Community Day was planned and carried out" was choice phrase.

weirddd.

now I want to know what this guy said about immigrants that made my sister so pissed off.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2010, 03:03:47 am
now I want to know what this guy said about immigrants that made my sister so pissed off.

I mean really, fuck*ng immigrants, all driving around without insurance.  There ought to be a law.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on October 14, 2010, 04:03:28 am
I mean really, fuck*ng immigrants, all driving around without insurance.  There ought to be a law.

Can for completing the circle of bigotry, Paul.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2010, 04:19:39 am
Uncle sends a lot of ones that are similar to this.

Quote
***** Bartender

A guy goes into a bar, and there's a ***** bartender.
 
The ***** says, "What will you have?"  The guy says, "Martini."
 
The ***** brings back the best martini ever and says to the man,
"So what's your IQ?"  The guy says, "158".
 
The ***** then proceeds to talk about physics, space exploration and medical technology.
The guy finishes his drink and leaves, but he is curious, so he goes back into the bar.

The ***** bartender says, What will you have?" The guy says, "Martini".
Again, the ***** makes a fabulous martini, gives it to the man and says,
"What's your IQ?" The guy says, "100."
 
The ***** then starts to talk about NASCAR, Budweiser and John Deere tractors.
The guy leaves, but finds it very interesting, so he thinks he will try it one more time.
He goes back into the bar.
 
The ***** says, "What will you have?" The guy says, "Martini", and
the ***** brings him another great martini. The ***** again says, "What's
your IQ?" The guy says, "Uh, about 60."
 
The ***** leans in real close and says, "So, you people still happy you voted for Obama?"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 14, 2010, 12:42:35 pm
That is a very different kind of joke when you forget the filters and assume that Paul censored out an offensive racial slur from the original text.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on October 14, 2010, 01:35:00 pm
Yeah, that's how I read it at first. I also got mixed up about whose IQ was changing. So it took me a while to understand where the joke was.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 14, 2010, 01:50:43 pm
So help me become a better driver -- why should I not send a quick text at a red light?

Besides what others have said, I'd say "Because it might not always be that quick."

Oh, the light is red, I'll just shoot a quick text.  type type type... wait, screwed that up, backspace... type some more... oh, the light is green, I'm accelerating, just gotta... GAH!  sideswiped a parked car!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 14, 2010, 03:34:16 pm
the picture of her bumper swooping into the space 6" in front of my front wheel is still imprinted on that part of the brain that retains images in 3x magnification, slow motion and high def.

That part of the brain is your amygdala. It stores your emotionally charged memories and has much better detail than your hippocampus which stores your other memories. The amygdala is where PTSD comes from and because it also processes your sense of smell, it makes smell memories more powerful than others.

*) The more you know!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 14, 2010, 03:36:29 pm
It's weird, I think I'd seen the word "amygdala" maybe... four times in the last thirty years and the last few weeks I've been seeing it all the time.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 14, 2010, 03:52:48 pm
Ash, the remedy for poor insurance compliance is higher fines.

This is a common misconception in our nation. That low-probability high-penalty enforcement will act as a deterrent. The sociology I read points to reasonable penalties that you are WAY more likely to run into. Why can't insurance companies feed the DMV database with a "yes" or "no" on who does and does not have liability coverage? This would bring universal enforcement.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on October 14, 2010, 04:01:59 pm
Why can't insurance companies feed the DMV database with a "yes" or "no" on who does and does not have liability coverage? This would bring universal enforcement.

How?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on October 14, 2010, 04:47:29 pm
If we had an Insurance Commisioner with any balls this would be a moving issue.


No, it probably wouldn't.

OK, so you've managed to implement a system where every auto insurer admitted to write coverage in your state must participate in this database.  Then what?  How does that keep uninsured drivers off the roads?

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2010, 04:48:57 pm
How?

The technology to do something like this already exist.  Roast Beef could whip out a program in an afternoon.  

Same thing goes for medical records.  It's not the technology that is holding up this train.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on October 14, 2010, 04:59:12 pm
The technology to do something like this already exist.  

I understand that we can create the database.  My question is how does having this information solve the problem?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2010, 05:05:03 pm
I understand that we can create the database.  My question is how does having this information solve the problem?

I think it solves the problem of them improperly impounding the car of someone who actually has insurance, but can't find that damn piece of paper. 

It also solves the problem of someone paying for 1 week of insurance and then canceling the policy when they get the proof card and driving the rest of the year with proof, but no actual insurance to back it up.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on October 14, 2010, 05:20:49 pm
the obvious answer is a single-payer car insurance system.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on October 14, 2010, 06:28:34 pm
Roast Beef could whip out a program in an afternoon.

Hello Ray

You do NOT need to buy insurance

Would you like to also make some delicious hashbrowns? (y/n)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 14, 2010, 06:34:11 pm
I think about that program a lot when people are buying eggs and milk.

...

that's all.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 14, 2010, 07:05:57 pm
As soon as they go off roll the gestapo shows up and beats the fine out of them on their doorstep.

Either that or you start sending fine and suspension notices via mail and warn that non-compliance will result in a bench warrant with your name on it so you better avoid all LEO contact forever or you're going to the pokey.


The second one -- you start fining them for every month they're out of compliance, and mail them their court date. You make it more expensive to skip insurance, and you make it very difficult to avoid getting caught.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on October 14, 2010, 07:11:06 pm
In my province, we have a single, government mandated public auto insurance provider.  Despite all the possible shit that could be wrong with that scenario, I have had good experiences.

When my Escape hybrid was rear-ended at a red light all expenses were covered by my insurance, including the massive repair bill, the lost wages due to my injury, all the physiotherapy until I felt I had recovered, plus all the medication, plus a loaner vehicle for a month while the repairs were being made to the hybrid, plus my mileage to and from medical and physio appointments.  No expense was spared.  I had the rock-bottom basic insurance available.  Of all of it, only the loaner vehicle was provided due to it being the other guy's fault.

PS - yes Geiko commercials are even more fun when they have nothing to do with your life in any way, shape or form.


Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on October 14, 2010, 07:18:06 pm
YOU CRAZY SOCIALIST THE GUMMIT CANT RUN NOTHIN RIGHT
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 14, 2010, 07:31:54 pm
In my province, we have a single, government mandated public auto insurance provider.  Despite all the possible shit that could be wrong with that scenario, I have had good experiences.

When my Escape hybrid was rear-ended at a red light all expenses were covered by my insurance, including the massive repair bill, the lost wages due to my injury, all the physiotherapy until I felt I had recovered, plus all the medication, plus a loaner vehicle for a month while the repairs were being made to the hybrid, plus my mileage to and from medical and physio appointments.  No expense was spared.  I had the rock-bottom basic insurance available.  Of all of it, only the loaner vehicle was provided due to it being the other guy's fault.

PS - yes Geiko commercials are even more fun when they have nothing to do with your life in any way, shape or form.


If Canada ever annexes part of the US, I hope the new border runs all the way to my house.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on October 14, 2010, 07:44:53 pm
My husband and I often get a chuckle out of Fox news.  "Look!  They're actually scared of him!  Hee hee!  Isn't that quaint?" etc.  For a Canadian like me, seeing an American's fear of socialism is like when you see someone in a public place show fear toward a puppy.  I'm all like "wha?"   
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 14, 2010, 07:47:08 pm
My husband and I often get a chuckle out of Fox news.  "Look!  They're actually scared of him!  Hee hee!  Isn't that quaint?" etc.  For a Canadian like me, seeing an American's fear of socialism is like when you see someone in a public place show fear toward a puppy.  I'm all like "wha?"   

But the claws! The razor-sharp teeth! The Kenyan birth certificate!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on October 14, 2010, 08:08:48 pm
the sad thing is, i think the fear is real for some people. not the fear of government takeover of their lives, but the fear that they won't magically hit it rich at some point in the future. there's like this cultural disease we've got where people bank on being rich in a few years - and if the industries that make the most money suddenly can't make money any more, how's a person supposed to get rich? nevermind that those industries prey on ignorance and loopholes to pirate as much profit as they can before they get caught.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 14, 2010, 08:17:50 pm
Boom. Choop nails it.

We've all been convinced that one shouldn't share even if they're fucked because what happens if they get theirs?

Stockholm Syndrome. An underclass of Uncle Toms, perhaps.

Even though... almost no one gets theirs unless their grandparents had it already.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 14, 2010, 10:37:56 pm
I guess you oughta just paint me red and call me Nadezhada Krupskaya, 'cause one of my life goals is to strike it rich explicitly so I have more to share.

I cannot imagine having more than two cars or a house with six bathrooms. (Too many toilets to clean, ugh.) They say money changes people, so I dunno, but I sort of have all the material goods I need, I just would like to have them paid for.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 14, 2010, 10:58:49 pm
I only have one car. I do have a urinal in my bathroom, though. That's sort of extravagant.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 14, 2010, 11:04:08 pm
When I say "more than two cars," I mean for my family unit. We as a couple own two, but my former neighbor at one point had four cars between him and his wife.

I guess at some point the kids will want cars, too, but that's so far off I can't even begin to think about it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 14, 2010, 11:12:03 pm
The sad thing is that we bought the car in March of '07 and it just rolled over 10k miles.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2010, 11:24:43 pm
I've got three cars and I'd really like to get rid of at least one of them. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 14, 2010, 11:25:31 pm
Probably not the one that belches flames, though.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2010, 11:26:15 pm
Probably not the one that belches flames, though.

No, probably not.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 16, 2010, 02:57:07 am
Quote
For a Canadian like me, seeing an American's fear of socialism is like when you see someone in a public place show fear toward a puppy.

So... you're saying Obama is a socialist.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 19, 2010, 07:58:55 am
I just got a forwarded email telling me that Bill Gates was going to give $500 for each person I forward the email to.  Wow, I haven't seen that one in quite some time.

This email was sent to me by a client.  I must say, this does not fill me with confidence.  I hope the job doesn't turn into this (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 19, 2010, 12:12:46 pm
Paul, you do read this blog, I hope:
http://clientsfromhell.net/ (http://clientsfromhell.net/)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 19, 2010, 05:00:12 pm
Yes, I love that blog.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on October 21, 2010, 09:30:07 pm
A coworker today was insistant that  the whole Oprah, Tommy Hilfiger rumour (http://www.snopes.com/racial/business/hilfiger.asp) was true, and was even adamant that she had seen this fictional episode of Oprah.  She said she used to be a huge fan of Hilfiger's clothing, but stopped shopping there years ago due to his apparent racism.  On the other hand, I had seen the real episode of Oprah (Hilfiger's only appearance on the show, debunking the rumour himself, with Oprah), and told her so, which she didn't believe, so to Snopes again I went, and forwarded the link.  Even then she skimmed the article, reading the "example" portion aloud (quite loud, to the whole office), not realizing until part way through that the article was one debunking the story...  It was a pretty rad win for me, as this coworker is an opinionated loud mouth. 

Not sure why I went so far to defend Hilfiger.  I don't like his clothes at all.  I also don't like loud mouthed know it alls who don't actually know anything either though.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 21, 2010, 09:55:41 pm
I knew someone in the 90's who seemed to like Hilfiger clothes especially because of that rumor.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 21, 2010, 10:29:45 pm
My mom forwarded me a ridiculous, unbelievable story today about an obscure and bizarre threat, to which she added the link to Snopes saying that it was true. So I can't complain.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 21, 2010, 11:05:03 pm
I've gotten ones before that were defiant they were telling the truth and offering up the snopes link as proof.  Only to find that what the snopes link actually says is, yeah it's kinda sorta true, but totally distorted and taken way out of context.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 21, 2010, 11:20:03 pm
This one was one of those rare totally true ones. I have trained my mother well, it seems.

Not, of course, that the thing was actually any kind of a likely risk, mind you, but it had happened.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on October 22, 2010, 01:49:13 am
In case you haven't seen it this (http://www.snopes.com/lost/lost.asp#false) is the best Snopes page ever.

Followed closely by this one (http://www.snopes.com/lost/false.asp).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 22, 2010, 01:58:19 am
In case you haven't seen it this (http://www.snopes.com/lost/lost.asp#false) is the best Snopes page ever.

Followed closely by this one (http://www.snopes.com/lost/false.asp).

Dude that giraffehook hurt the fuck out of my mouth.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 26, 2010, 03:49:04 am
Quote
AARP FALL FROM GRACE!!

I found this very interesting reading, so let's keep it going if you agree.  It only takes a few days on the Internet and this will have reached 75% of the public in the U.S.A.   Seniors need to stand up for what is right, not what the politicians want or big Corporations want.

This letter was sent to Mr. Rand who is the Executive Director of AARP.

THIS LADY NOT ONLY HAS A GRASP OF 'THE SITUATION' BUT AN INCREDIBLE COMMAND OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!


Dear Mr. Rand,   

       Recently you sent us a letter encouraging us to renew our lapsed membership in AARP by the requested date. I know it is not what you were looking for, but this is the most honest response I can give you. Our gap in coverage is merely a microscopic symptom of the real problem, a deepening lack of faith. 

       While we have proudly maintained our membership for several years and have long admired the AARP goals and principles, regrettably, we can no longer endorse it's abdication of our values. Your letter specifically stated that we can count on AARP to speak up for our rights, yet the voice we hear is not ours. Your offer of being kept up to date on important issues through DIVIDED WE FAIL presents neither an impartial view nor the one we have come to embrace. We do believe that when two parties agree all the time on everything presented to them, one is probably not necessary. But, when the opinions and long term goals are diametrically opposed, the divorce is imminent. This is the philosophy which spawned our 200 years of government.     

         Once upon a time, we looked forward to being part of the senior demographic. We also looked to AARP to provide certain benefits and give our voice a power we could not possibly hope to achieve on our own. AARP gave us a sense of belonging which we no longer enjoy. The Socialist politics practiced by the Obama administration and empowered by AARP serves only to raise the blood pressure my medical insurance strives to contain. Clearly a conflict of interest there! 

        We do not understand the AARP posture, feel greatly betrayed by the guiding forces that we expected to map out our senior years and leave your ranks with a great sense of regret. We mitigate that disappointment with the relief of knowing that we are not contributing to the problem anymore by renewing our membership. There are numerous other organizations which offer discounts without threatening our way of life or offending our sensibilities.     

       This Presidential Administration scares the living daylights out of us. Not just for ourselves, but for our proud and bloodstained heritage. But even more importantly for our children and grandchildren. Washington has rendered Soylent Green a prophetic cautionary tale rather than a nonfiction scare tactic. I have never in my life endorsed any militant or radical groups, yet now I find myself listening to them. I don't have to agree with them to appreciate the fear which birthed their existence. Their borderline insanity presents little more than a balance to the voice of the Socialist mind set in power. Perhaps I became American by a great stroke of luck in some cosmic uterine lottery, but in my adulthood I CHOOSE to embrace it and nurture the freedoms it represents as well as the responsibilities it requires.     

        Your website generously offers us the opportunity to receive all communication in Spanish. ARE YOU KIDDING??? Someone has broken into our 'house', invaded our home without our invitation or consent.. The President has insisted we keep the perpetrator in comfort and learn the perp language so we can communicate our reluctant welcome to them. 

     I DON'T choose to welcome them.

     I DON'T choose to support them.   

     I DON'T choose to educate them.   

     I DON'T choose to medicate them, pay for their food or clothing. 

     American home invaders get arrested.   

     Please explain to me why foreign lawbreakers can enjoy privileges on American soil that Americans do not get?   

     Why do some immigrants have to play the game to be welcomed and others only have to break & enter to be welcomed? 

     We travel for a living. Walt hauls hosss all over this great country, averaging over 10,000 miles a month when he is out there. He meets more people than a politician on caffeine overdose. Of all the many good folks he enjoyed on this last 10,000 miles, this trip yielded only ONE supporter of the current administration. One of us is out of touch with mainstream America . Since our poll is conducted without funding, I have more faith in it than one which is power driven.     

     We have decided to forward this to everyone on our mailing list, and will encourage them to do the same. With several hundred in my address book, I have every faith that the eventual exponential factor will make a credible statement to you.   

      I am disappointed.     

      I am scared. 

      I am MAD, and I'm NOT gonna take it anymore!

                  Walt & Cyndy, Miller Farms Equine Transport

 PLEASE KEEP  THIS  MOVING  FORWARD

Wait... what was that bit about Soylent Green?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 26, 2010, 04:13:19 am
that was the part that stuck out to me, too.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 26, 2010, 05:14:54 pm
Hasn't the AARP's lobbying arm always focused on socialist benefits for seniors?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on October 26, 2010, 05:57:11 pm
I'm intrigued by their delight in mentioning a bloodstained heritage.  A dramatic flourish gone awry?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on October 26, 2010, 06:10:59 pm
Because we didn't have any illegal immigrants until January 2009.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on October 27, 2010, 03:12:32 am
I kind of liked the blood-pressure line.

I probably would have chosen something other than a spanish language option as the first thing I specifically complained about though, seems kind of petty.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 27, 2010, 05:18:02 am
wait, spanish-language-option is the number one thing people will complain about, ever.

I don't get it either.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on October 27, 2010, 05:46:31 am
DER TERK URR JERBZ
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on October 27, 2010, 09:04:01 am
wait, spanish-language-option is the number one thing people will complain about, ever.

Really? Obviously it's a total non-issue around here due to lack of Spaniards.
Not that I don't live in a country full of racist hicks, I'm pretty sure if there was a move to change all road signs to also read mandarin or something there'd be issues. It seems especially banal a complaint for websites, it's not as if you even have to see it unless you deliberately seek it out.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on October 27, 2010, 02:50:28 pm
and that's the thing: nobody's removing the english-language road signs; they're adding spanish-language signs to live in tandem with the english ones that are already there and aren't going anywhere. nobody's forcing anybody to learn to speak spanish. i'm just glad i didn't waste my high school language lessons on french or german.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2010, 03:24:53 pm
The example of road signs reminds me of an interesting thing, which is that in Japan, I was surprised to find English along with Japanese on street signs, subway signs, etc.

Unlike the US, which is a country full of people descended from immigrants, Japan has always been inhospitable to immigrants, even legal ones, but they have no problem with the idea of having more than one language on stuff. And they're not irrationally afraid of English becoming more dominant than their language - it already is. Still, this has not destroyed their country - they have no problem keeping their own culture pretty damn distinct.

In comparison it's weird that people in the world's dominant country, speaking the language that is basically the worldwide common tongue, are so afraid of being taken over by this terrifying invading language. We are so isolated, and life is so easy for us already speaking the dominant language and not having to learn another, that we don't realize that multilingualism is the norm in most other parts of the world.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on October 27, 2010, 03:57:56 pm
i think some fucked up shit just did happen in your last sentence there ash
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2010, 04:52:30 pm
i think some fucked up shit just did happen in your last sentence there ash

you mean he showed for a minute that he has a heart?

Also: Holy shit Vietnamese. I wouldn't even know where to begin, says the PhD in linguistics. I'm impressed.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 27, 2010, 04:55:11 pm
When you put ideology on a pedestal and cut the connect to real people making do some fucked up shit can happen in your brain.

saved
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on October 27, 2010, 04:59:28 pm
When you put ideology on a pedestal and cut the connect to real people making do some fucked up shit can happen in your brain.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on October 27, 2010, 05:08:10 pm
okay fine then what is wrong with me that i cannot parse that sentence and from it derive meaning?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on October 27, 2010, 05:24:33 pm
Punctuation.

When you put ideology on a pedestal, and cut the connect to real people making-do, some fucked up shit can happen in your brain.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 27, 2010, 05:56:51 pm
Quote
Well, boys and girls, today the fox is guarding the hen house. The wolves will be herding the sheep!
 
 Obama appointed two devout Muslims to homeland security posts.
 
 Obama and Janet Napolitano appointed Arif Alikhan, a devout Muslim, as Assistant Secretary for Policy Development. DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano swore-in Kareem Shora, a devout Muslim, who was born in Damascus, Syria, as ADC National Executive Director as a member of the Homeland Security Advisory Council (HSAC).
 
 NOTE: Has anyone ever heard a new government official being identified as a devout Catholic, a devout Jew or a devout Protestant...?
 Just wondering.
 
 Devout Muslims being appointed to critical Homeland Security positions? Doesn't this make you feel safer already?? That should make our home land much safer, huh!?
 
 Was it not "Devout Muslim men" that flew planes into U.S. buildings 9 years ago? Was it not a Devout Muslim who killed 13 at Fort Hood ?
 
Please forward this important information to any who cares about the future of our Country.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on October 27, 2010, 06:08:25 pm


Sooo, what you're saying is only atheists should be appointed to government positions?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 27, 2010, 06:09:38 pm
In comparison it's weird that people in the world's dominant country, speaking the language that is basically the worldwide common tongue, are so afraid of being taken over by this terrifying invading language. We are so isolated, and life is so easy for us already speaking the dominant language and not having to learn another, that we don't realize that multilingualism is the norm in most other parts of the world.

Because in Japan, English has a generally positive connotation (it's the language of Western businessmen and educated Japanese), whereas in the US, Spanish has a negative connotation (it's the language of migrant workers and illegal immigrants). It's not xenophobia or isolationism so much as racism and classism, IMHO.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 27, 2010, 06:10:33 pm
Sooo, what you're saying is only atheists should be appointed to government positions?

devout atheists
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2010, 06:30:03 pm
Because in Japan, English has a generally positive connotation (it's the language of Western businessmen and educated Japanese), whereas in the US, Spanish has a negative connotation (it's the language of migrant workers and illegal immigrants). It's not xenophobia or isolationism so much as racism and classism, IMHO.

Japan's only one example, though, and not the best, since not many people in Japan actually speak English all that well despite the fact that they all study it in school. I only thought of it because of the mention of road signs. But there are many countries where nearly everyone speaks more than one language. It would hardly be the end of American English if Spanish were more broadly used.

Of course, it probably won't be, anyway. Last I looked, Spanish speakers are just like every past wave of immigrants: by the second and definitely third generation they've lost their language and are monolingual English speakers.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 27, 2010, 07:20:17 pm

In comparison it's weird that people in the world's dominant country, speaking the language that is basically the worldwide common tongue, are so afraid of being taken over by this terrifying invading language. We are so isolated, and life is so easy for us already speaking the dominant language and not having to learn another, that we don't realize that multilingualism is the norm in most other parts of the world.

The only way a fucktard like Palin stands a chance of holding public office at a national level is for her to gain supporters because of their irrational fear of some terrible thing or other threatening to destroy the ways of life of Real Americans. A fear they likely developed from taking too seriously comments from blowhards like Glenn Beck and politicians like Palin. Right now spanish-speaking immigrants are convenient targets.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 27, 2010, 08:22:46 pm
"fucktard" is basically the perfect word for Sarah Palin.

If I didn't know that it predated her inexplicable fame, I would think it was invented specifically to describe her.

Well-done.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 27, 2010, 08:37:37 pm
"fucktard" is basically the perfect word for Sarah Palin.

If I didn't know that it predated her inexplicable fame, I would think it was invented specifically to describe her.

Perhaps a new filter is in order?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on October 28, 2010, 05:40:10 am
I was surprised to find the street sign thing in China as well, given they are if anything more isolationist than Japan. On the other hand they also love foreign money and I did visit post-olympics.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 28, 2010, 02:53:04 pm
Quote
TRUTHS FOR MATURE ADULTS

    1. A best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.

    2. Nothing is more upsetting than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

    3. I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

    4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.

    5. How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

    6. Was learning cursive really necessary?

    7. Map Quest really needs to start directions on # 5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.

    8. Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.

    9. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.

    10. Bad decisions make good stories.

    11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know you just aren't going to do anything productive the rest of the day.

    12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blue Ray? I don't want to have to restart my collection again.

    13. I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report that I swear I did not make any changes to.

    14. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.

    15. I think the freezer deserves a light as well.

    16. I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

    17. I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

    18. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

    19. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?

    20. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers and sisters!

    21. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. #####? ##### never get dirty, and you can wear them forever

    22. Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is.

    23. Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the Donkey - but I'd bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time!

    24. The first testicular guard, the "Cup," was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took 100 years for men to realize that their brain is also important.

As I was reading this I was thinking that I would post this to show that sometimes my uncle sends things that aren't rabid right wing nonsense.  I was going to point out that He'll probably not have to worry about replacing his blue (sp) ray collection because blu ray is probably the last physical medium for delivering movies.  But at his age he's doing pretty good with the digital communications (rabid right wing emails notwithstanding).  But then I got to 17.  Geez!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 28, 2010, 03:07:59 pm
It's funny 'cause it's true!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2010, 03:49:03 pm
NOTE: Has anyone ever heard a new government official being identified as a devout Catholic, a devout Jew or a devout Protestant...?
 Just wondering.

The amusing thing is that the writer of this screed is the one who is attempting to demonize people by calling them "devout muslims" and then is turning around and disingenuously saying "who, me?"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 28, 2010, 06:06:07 pm
Quote from: Asherdan
#17 seems stupid but I woulda used that feature for a recent work trip out to the San Fernando/Pacoima area.

I have clearly not come to terms with My Situation because this statement fills me only with nostalgia.

"Oh man, that reminds me of that public health clinic where a good quarter of the patients looked armed that I had to go to after nightfall... good times... good times."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2010, 06:08:05 pm
I have clearly not come to terms with My Situation

You don't say.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 28, 2010, 07:13:29 pm
Can'd for snarkasm!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2010, 08:30:57 pm
I almost didn't post that, thinking it unkind. I believe my wife may be rubbing off on me.

Ho ho! Rubbing off! (One of you would have gone there.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on October 29, 2010, 10:53:05 am
(One of you would have gone there.)

I'm sure she did.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 04, 2010, 10:19:02 pm
Quote
My grandfather’s generation watched as friends died in WWII and Korea, my father’s generation watched as friends died in Vietnam, and my generation watches as friends die Iraq and Afghanistan.

None of them died for the Mexican Flag.

Everyone  died for the U.S. flag.

Just this week, in Texas, a student raised a Mexican flag  on a school flag pole; another student took it  down. Guess who was expelled...the kid who took  it down.

Kids in high school in California were sent home on Cinco de Mayo  because they wore T-shirts with the American  flag printed on them.

Enough is  enough.

The below e-mail message needs to  be viewed by every American; and every American  needs to stand up for America.

We've bent  over to appease the America-haters long  enough.

I'm taking a stand.

I'm  standing up because the hundreds of thousands  who died fighting in wars for this country, and  for the US. flag, that can’t stand  up.

And shame on anyone who tries to make  this a racist message.
A  Map Of My Country:

Let  me make this perfectly  clear!

(Image of North America with Mexico labeled "Yours" and United States labeled "Not Yours")

THIS  IS MY COUNTRY!

And,  because I make This  statement

DOES  NOT Mean I'm against immigration!!!

YOU  ARE WELCOME HERE, IN MY COUNTRY!

Welcome!  To come through legally:

1.  Get a sponsor!

2.  Get a place to lay your  head!

3.Get  a job!

4.Live  By OUR  Rules!

5.Pay YOUR Taxes!

And

6.Learn  the language  like  every immigrant has  in the past!!!

AND

7.Please  don't demand that we hand over our lifetime

savings of  Social  Security Funds  to you.

If  you don't want to forward this for fear of  offending someone...

Then  YOU’RE PART OF THE  PROBLEM!

When  will  AMERICANS STOP  giving away  THEIR RIGHTS???

We've  gone so far the other  way...

bent  over backwards not to offend anyone. 

But  it seems no one cares about  the

AMERICAN  CITIZEN who's  being offended!

WAKE  UP America !!!

If  You agree.... Pass this  on.

If  You don't agree.. Delete  It!!!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 04, 2010, 10:35:56 pm
The last bit is great - they all say "if you agree, tell people, if you don't, shut the fuck up" (slight paraphrase).

These people do realize that migrants, especially illegals, end up paying into the system and taking little or nothing out, right?

Also, as best as I can remember, I've never watched as a friend of mine died. That would be sorta fucked.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on November 04, 2010, 10:52:31 pm
For what its worth, one of my celebrated ancestors stowed away on a cargo ship to escape the British police who were hunting him down in Cork.  He also got paid to take the place of some rich kid in the Union army.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 04, 2010, 10:55:42 pm
Fuck Tha Police.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on November 04, 2010, 11:57:00 pm
My immigrant ancestors didn't learn the fuck*ng language, actually. Their kids did, thanks to free public schools, but my dad could barely talk to one of his grandmothers because she only spoke Polish.

And she did come here legally, but back in 1914, that basically meant, "Get together some cash, get on a boat, and hope they don't misspell your name too badly at Ellis Island." None of this "get a sponsor" shit or whatever.

Another interesting tale from that side of the family -- my great-grandfather and his brother came over in the early 1910s -- family lore says they were trying to avoid being drafted into the Polish army --- and they both served in WWI (drafted into the the US Army). They both survived and were granted citizenship alongside their discharge papers.

Things aren't that simple now, I guess.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on November 05, 2010, 12:11:13 am
one of my great granddads bolted out of austria to escape a murder charge. damn skippy he wasn't legal.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 05, 2010, 12:22:31 am
Quote
They both survived and were granted citizenship alongside their discharge papers.

How is this not a policy everyone can agree on.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 05, 2010, 03:47:29 am
Get out of my country!!!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on November 05, 2010, 05:11:40 am
My eye was drawn to:

Quote
We've  gone so far the other  way...

bent  over backwards not to offend anyone. 

Don't get me wrong America is a wonderful country and Americans are by and large wonderful people and I can point to lots of other countries with deeply ingrained nationalism and casual racism, but trying desperately not to offend anyone is not something that I think this specific person has ever tried to do.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 05, 2010, 01:22:55 pm
Then there's this posted on Facebook this morning from a staunchly liberal friend.

Quote
I had a weird thing happen teaching my Industrail Revolution History lesson yesterday.  We were discussing event during that time period and the Mexican-American War came up.  Students asked, "Who won?" and I said, "The US." and several responded, "AH mannnnn!" with dissapointment.  I was shocked and asked, aren't you proud to be American?  They said, "NO, I'm MEXICAN."

This led to a lenthy discussion about being Mexican American is still AMERICAN. And I went on to explain that MANY MANY Hispanics/Mexicans (we had to define Hispanic) fought with Texans in 1836 at the Alamo and in the 1840's with the US.  I really don't think they got it.  I have heard people complain about this kind of attitude but had never in all these years of teaching actually expereienced it.  It was really weird and dissapointing.

I really thought that people in Arizona were over reacting to the immigrant problem, but with a couple experiences like this I can see why people would feel that way.  I mean seriously, even when I am visiting another country I show their history and culture respect. I didn't go to Argentina and start spouting off about the Falklands and how England kicked their butts.  Obviously the parents of these kids who are a getting a fairly decent education from ME, are not teaching their children to appreciate this great country that is helping support them.  I don't blame the kids, they just refect what parents are teaching.   I am not against immigrants, but if you come here to enjoy the benefits of our culture then you should show some appreciation.  And if you don't, well then it should come as no surpize when people start questioning your reasons for being here.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 05, 2010, 01:47:37 pm
Your teacher friend has an issue with spelling.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 05, 2010, 01:54:57 pm
I was thinking about this sort of stuff all day yesterday, amidst the blare of Fox News from every available TV. I really wish this shit wasn't actually happening.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on November 05, 2010, 02:42:28 pm
I was recently taking in a Canadian news program that was discussing the large amount of anti-Islamic sentiment used in the pre-election rhetoric in the US.  There were plenty of clips from Fox and elsewhere, where politicians were constantly speaking of some concept of an American as a person devoid of any cultural or spiritual background beyond the generic anglo-Christian.  It brought me back to my Canadian high school social studies class, where we were taught the analogy that the US functions like a melting pot, whereas Canada functions like a tossed salad.   It got me wondering if the US is on the cusp of and identity crisis - I mean if you bring in socialized medicine and consider treating the experiences of new Americans as valid, you're not a melting pot anymore.  If a country is semi-comfortable with voting in a president who's entire family line doesn't go back to the Mayflower, is it a melting pot anymore?  More than ever, I think the US is on the cusp of sweeping change.  I mean, two years into the country's first black president - this is the infancy of a change.

The interesting thing pointed out by yee olde CBC was that while the majority of the anti-Islamic sentiment came from the right, that the left never really put forward a strong opposition to the sentiment.  There was even a suggestion by one commentator that Obama's camp has decided to scrap a planned visit to a mosque while he's in Indonesia out of concern for the public image he would put forward if he were to wear the required, mosque-appropriate garb.  It's sort of astounding to me that there's so much silence around this.  When is anyone in a position of power going to nut up and take a public stand against intolerance?  Maybe I'm expecting too much, being from a country who's national broadcaster that puts out over the top socially-conscious-to-the-point-of-silly (http://www.cbc.ca/littlemosque/) content.  That sort of blatant intolerance doesn't really fly north of the border.  We're much more polite and apologetic about our bigotry up here... Wait... is that... better?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 05, 2010, 02:53:38 pm
Watched a thing last night (http://www.alan.com/2010/06/21/rep-steve-king-wouldnt-be-surprised-if-obama-keeps-bringing-small-quantities-of-muslims-into-this-country/) where somebody asked Congressman Steve King of Iowa about "Obama bringing small quantities of Muslims into this country", and he said "I wouldn’t be surprised that that is the real factual basis".

Seriously?

Between that and Obama's $200 million/day trip to India, I just don't know any more.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 05, 2010, 04:06:00 pm
Watched a thing last night (http://www.alan.com/2010/06/21/rep-steve-king-wouldnt-be-surprised-if-obama-keeps-bringing-small-quantities-of-muslims-into-this-country/) where somebody asked Congressman Steve King of Iowa about "Obama bringing small quantities of Muslims into this country", and he said "I wouldn’t be surprised that that is the real factual basis".

They let you bring in as many Muslims as you like now, so long as each one is less than three ounces.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on November 05, 2010, 10:42:30 pm
They let you bring in as many Muslims as you like now, so long as each one is less than three ounces.

Ha ha!  Canned.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on November 05, 2010, 11:31:27 pm
Quote
We were discussing event during that time period and the Mexican-American War came up.  Students asked, "Who won?"

Who do you think, genius?

This interaction never happened. I call bullshit.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on November 05, 2010, 11:45:06 pm
obviously, since we wound up with texas, mexico won.

ZING! 9jk paul)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 06, 2010, 12:01:22 am
I'm glad y'all are so smart that you figured this out.

But this is not bullshit.  It's not propaganda.  My friend is not lying to me or you by proxy.

I'm sure you geniuses were all well versed in every aspect of American history when you were 10 years old, but I'm inclined to believe it entirely possible for these kids to not have a fuck*ng clue who won a little known war from over 100 years ago.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on November 06, 2010, 12:31:01 am
Hey man, you didn't tell us they were 10!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on November 06, 2010, 01:05:09 am
Why did I think they were college students?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 06, 2010, 01:51:53 am
I want to know more about 9jk, and what it has to do with Paul)

I do like how that's kind of like :)-Paul, though.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on November 06, 2010, 02:14:29 am
derp, i missed the shift key
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 06, 2010, 02:53:46 am
in high school my girlfriend asked me "the north won the civill war, right?"

after I answered, she said "yeah, I was... I was pretty sure."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 06, 2010, 02:55:23 am
in high school my girlfriend asked me "the north won the civill war, right?"

after I answered, she said "yeah, I was... I was pretty sure."

Or did they??
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 06, 2010, 07:01:59 pm
Current political trends suggest that the North's win was sadly temporary and that, by the early 1980s, the Confederacy's long hard slog toward dismantling the Union's political process through generations of co-opting from the inside were well on their way to completion.

Patient buggers, those Rebs, I'll give them that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2010, 10:59:27 pm
I just want to add that this was done in comic sans in about a 40 point font size.

Quote
The Fix

There recently was an article in the St. Petersburg , Fl. Times. The Business Section asked readers for ideas on: "How Would You Fix the Economy?" I think this guy nailed it!

Dear Mr. President,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing America 's economy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.  You can call it the "Patriotic Retirement Plan":  There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new AMERICAN Car. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.

It can't get any easier than that!!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes...

Mr. President,

while you're at it, make Congress retire on Social Security and Medicare. I'll bet both programs would be fixed pronto!  If you think this would work, please forward to everyone you know.  If not, please disregard.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on November 10, 2010, 11:24:29 pm
A million won't go far towards supporting a 50-year old in California if he's supposed to buy a house with it too.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2010, 11:59:23 pm
true, but CA, Miami, and the NYC region are all outliers in that regard.

damn. see, i *know* this is a crackpot scheme that would never work, but i can't shake that it appeals to me on some base, thoughtless level.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 11, 2010, 12:06:45 am
Yeah, I'm not real crazy about any plan that has as it's main plank putting people out to pasture. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: robot_god on November 11, 2010, 12:40:13 am
It's such a great plan, and it would only cost 40 million!  Oh wait, but one thing:

40,000,000 x $1,000,000=

$40,000,000,000,000.00

Um, actually it would cost forty quadrillion.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 11, 2010, 12:46:50 am
Well, as was already pointed out, one million isn't enough money for a start.  And it would cost $40,000,000,000,000.  What is that 40 trillion?  So most of those 40 million that you put out to pasture are going to continue working.  Except now they will be doing it under the table and won't be paying back into the system that is now an additional 40 trillion in debt. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 11, 2010, 12:53:30 am
You're all forgetting the "P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes..." part. Once each Senator and Representative pays the $74,766,355,140 in taxes they owe, this plan will be completely paid for.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 26, 2010, 07:16:56 pm
my grandpa just sent out an email (in Spanish) yelling at my entire extended family for not calling him on thanksgiving.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on November 27, 2010, 12:41:45 am
That your grandpa could send an email as a tool to make "old person gripes" makes me feel really old. 

My beloved grandma died before desktop computers were things commonly in a home.  All my grandparents were gone before hotmail was a thing.  I doubt any of them ever saw or touched a desktop computer. 

The only comfort I take is that your grandpa at least wanted you to use "old" technology to communicate.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 27, 2010, 01:09:49 am
My Mom basically does not use computers, and my grandparents never touched a computer, and may never have even seen one.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 27, 2010, 01:27:13 am
Grampa using email to send old person gripes is inspiring! I wonder what amazing new technology will be invented in time for us to send old person gripes with?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 27, 2010, 01:37:47 am
I am insanely proud of my dad in this regard, actually:

He goes on a local right-wing politics message board and trolls people as a communist.

To be fair, he used to do the thing on the CB radio when I was a kid but still.

Dude is adapting with the times admirably.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on November 27, 2010, 01:54:12 am
My mom is afraid of computers - the fear was of the "if I do the wrong thing it will somehow self destruct and possibly blow up" ilk.  I kept trying to assure her that even the worst mistakes when using a computer can be undone or corrected, but with her illness, the fear and anxiety there was pretty strong.

The last time I had any real contact with my parents, which was several years ago, they basically didn't understand computers either, even though they had one.  I remember at one point turning it on to check my email, and all this virus porn popped up, and my mom was all "just ignore that - I don't know what it is, but it shows up every time we turn it on."  I'm talking about 20+ windows of porno popping up at start up, and the same windows re popping  up over again, multiple times after closing them out.

I'm all "your computer has a virus."

"No. It's just pictures that come up."

"Yes.  That is what a virus is.  Unwanted stuff that comes up without your control and slows your computer down is a virus."

"I thought a virus was something that made your computer not work?"

"Do you consider your computer to be working properly if several pages of unwanted hardcore porn slow your computer down and pop up every time you turn it on or attempt to use it?"

"No!"

"How long has this been happening?"

"Oh I don't know - a few months.  It can't be a virus.  We have anti virus."

I checked, and sure enough they did have some anit-virus software - which had never been turned on or updated in the many years since they bought the computer.  The software was beyond fixing whatever virus they had, and my mom was so upset that they had to pay a hundred bucks to have the virus cleared up that she mostly avoided the computer entirely after that.

The sad thing was that my dad also didn't realize it was virus, even though he was a university professor at the time and the one who at least understood the basics of email usage.  My dad figured out how to use ebay with my help though, which says something.  When he figured out ebay, my mom asked me teach her to buy something on ebay too, and she accidentally clicked "buy it now" on an Elton John CD, and got scared and didn't want to ever try again.   

Oh my god.  I have a lot of clarity on this because it's in the past, but thinking back on this, I haven't been this frustrated about my mom's anxiety disorder in a long time...  It's sad how your own fear can become a prison.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 27, 2010, 03:48:33 am
(S)he accidentally clicked "buy it now" on an Elton John CD, and got scared and didn't want to ever try again.   

Was it the one with "I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues"? Because I can understand that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 29, 2010, 08:29:51 pm
The great Attack on Christmas straw man has reared it's ugly head once again this year.

Quote
Be brave say Merry Christmas

Twas the month before Christmas
When all through our land, Not a Christian
was praying
Nor taking a stand

See the PC Police had taken away,
The reason for Christmas - no one could say.

The children were
told by their schools not to sing, About Shepherds
and Wise Men and Angels and things.

It might hurt people's feelings, the teachers would say
'December 25th is just a ' Holiday '

Yet the shoppers were ready with cash, checks and credit
Pushing folks down to the floor just to get it!

CDs from Madonna, an X BOX, an I-pod
Something was changing, something quite odd!

Retailers promoted Ramadan and Kwanzaa
In hopes to sell books by Franken & Fonda.

As Targets were hanging their trees upside down
At Lowe's the word Christmas - was nowhere to be found.
At K-Mart and Staples and Penny's and Sears

You won't hear the word Christmas; it won't touch your ears.
Inclusive, sensitive, Di-ver-si-ty
Are words that were used to intimidate me.

Now Daschle, Now Darden, Now Sharpton, Wolf Blitzen
On Boxer, on Rather, on Kerry, on Clinton!

At the top of the Senate, there arose such a clatter
To eliminate Jesus, in all public matter.

And we spoke not a word, as they took away our faith
Forbidden to speak of salvation and grace

The true Gift of Christmas was exchanged and discarded
The reason for the season, stopped before it started.

So as you celebrate 'Winter Break' under your 'Dream Tree'
Sipping your Starbucks, listen to me.

Choose your words carefully, choose what you say
Shout MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Not Happy Holiday

Please, all Christians join together and wish everyone you meet during the holidays A MERRY CHRISTMAS

Christ is The Reason for the Christ-mas Season!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on November 29, 2010, 08:43:24 pm
You know, to the extent something like that is encouraging Christians to respect and follow their own traditions, I don't have a problem with it.

It's the butthurt that they aren't allowed to use the government and other institutions to promote their religion that burns me up.  Look, dumbass.  Nobody's posting soldiers at the front door of your church keeping you from worshiping the way you think proper.  No commissars are kicking down your front door and ripping down your Christmas decorations.  The government's not burning Bibles.

You don't have the right to inflict your religion on anybody else, much less everybody else.  You have the right to say and think what you want.  Retailers have the right to say and think what they want (and if that means staying neutral so they don't offend a significant portion of their potential customer base, so be it.)  And the government is required by the Constitution (which you so-called conservatives claim to revere so much -- at least until following it produces a result you don't like) to stay neutral.

What kind of God do these people worship?  Apparently one who needs support from the federal government and major retailers.

Bah.  Humbug.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 29, 2010, 09:11:19 pm
I like the random injection of supposed left-wingers here and there, like no one else is marketing their books or other media during the holidays.

Also, Madonna still puts out CDs?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 29, 2010, 09:47:00 pm
Also, Madonna still puts out CDs?

That's just to show you how old and tired this meme is.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 29, 2010, 10:30:51 pm
I'd pay more attention if they'd send around this video instead.
Fuck you if you don't like Christmas. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysfQjKKi70&feature=youtu.be)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on November 29, 2010, 10:33:40 pm
Quote
Now Daschle, Now Darden, Now Sharpton, Wolf Blitzen
On Boxer, on Rather, on Kerry, on Clinton!

I thought that was a pretty clever construction.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on November 29, 2010, 11:08:57 pm
Well based on the hyphenation on "Christ-mas" this year the Catholic churches are going to be absolutely jammed and the churches of the various other christian sects will be deserted. C'mon people, let's put the "mass" back in christmas.

Back when I was a bell-ringer for the Salvation Army I went out of my way to say "happy holidays" to anybody that wished me a "merry christmas"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 29, 2010, 11:09:29 pm
I have an obsession with the idea that a customer is going to yell at me for saying happy holidays.

My store apparently thinks only Christians shop here. Not even a consolation menorah.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 30, 2010, 12:00:13 am
"Cyber Monday used to be special, now it's all about the consumerism." - J. Rowland
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on November 30, 2010, 02:36:29 am
I mean, sure, the majority of people in a given american store probably are celebrating christmas, but there are other holidays going on at the same time. Why is acknowledging that such a big deal?

Edit: Just remembered I'm staying with my Nana in the lead up to christmas so I'll have to hear again about how 'They' made the local supermarket take down their christmas decorations. Because when I was more religious what I really wanted was my faith to be tackily exploited by retailers so they could make more money.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 30, 2010, 02:50:07 am
Because if you're mostly in charge but you're not entirely in charge of everything all the time, you're actually the most persecuted minority of all time.

So says The Fox News and let us never forget that The Fox News is Australia's fault. This is an important thing to remember.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on November 30, 2010, 04:04:27 am
So says The Fox News and let us never forget that The Fox News is Australia's fault. This is an important thing to remember.

Thanks Australia.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on November 30, 2010, 06:44:11 am
Y'all welcome.

I like to think of Rupert as part of a long term plan to topple all the other western societies one by one and render them completely dysfunctional. First the UK with page three girls, then America with Fox news. Soon we shall rise and then who'll be in the southern hemisphere?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 30, 2010, 12:34:57 pm
Y'all welcome.

I like to think of Rupert as part of a long term plan to topple all the other western societies one by one and render them completely dysfunctional. First the UK with page three girls, then America with Fox news. Soon we shall rise and then who'll be in the southern hemisphere?

youre going to turn all your maps and globes upside down?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 30, 2010, 03:47:40 pm
First the UK with page three girls, then America with Fox news.

Jesus did we ever get the short end on that deal.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on December 01, 2010, 02:18:23 am
youre going to turn all your maps and globes upside down?

Not exactly upside down. Uluru is the new North Pole is basically what's going to happen.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 02, 2010, 04:24:10 am
Shit Thomas Friedman says:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/01/opinion/01friedman.html?_r=1&src=ISMR_AP_LO_MST_FB

Nothing particularly wrong with this, but the style reminded me of an email forward.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on December 02, 2010, 04:27:18 am
Shit Laura Schlessinger says (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Schlesinger#Use_of_racial_epithet).

Seriously, black guys use it all the time? How does an adult use the "he started it" defense with a straight face?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2010, 01:26:05 am
I really like how they've actually included a link to the Snopes page that debunks their claims.  That one had me scratching my heads, but I guess they figured most people wouldn't click.  Regardless, it's mighty neighborly of them and very convenient for me.

Quote
Dhimmitude -- What does it mean?
Obama used it in the health care bill.
 
Now isn't this interesting? It was used in the health care law.
 
Every day there's another revelation of what Obama and his fellow Democrats are doing to our country.
 
Dhimmitude -- I had never heard the word until now. Type it into Google and start reading. Pretty interesting. It's on page 107 of the healthcare bill. I looked this up on Google and yep, it exists. It is a REAL word. Amish and others are excluded, including muslims. I think I could become Amish a whole lot easier than muslim.
 
Word of the Day: Dhimmitude
 
Dhimmitude is the Muslim system of controlling non-muslim populations conquered through jihad. Specifically, it is the TAXING of non-muslims in exchange for tolerating their presence AND as a coercive means of converting conquered remnants to Islam.
 
ObamaCare allows the establishment of Dhimmitude and Sharia muslim diktat in the United States. Muslims are specifically exempted from the government mandate to purchase insurance, and also from the penalty tax for being uninsured. Islam considers insurance to be "gambling", "risk-taking", and "usury" and is thus banned. Muslims are specifically granted exemption based on this.
 
How convenient. So I, as a Christian, will have crippling IRS liens placed against all of my assets, including real estate, cattle, and even accounts receivables, and will face hard prison time because I refuse to buy insurance or pay the penalty tax. Meanwhile, Louis Farrakhan will have no such penalty and will have 100% of his health needs paid for by the de facto government insurance. Non-muslims will be paying a tax to subsidize muslims. Period. This is Dhimmitude.
 
Dhimmitude serves two purposes: It enriches the muslim masters AND serves to drive conversions to Islam. In this case, the incentive to convert to Islam will be taken up by those in the inner-cities as well as the godless Generation X, Y, and Z types who have no moral anchor. If you don't believe in Christ to begin with, it is no problem whatsoever to sell Him for 30 pieces of silver. "Sure, I'll be a muslim if it means free health insurance and no taxes. Where do I sign, bro?"
 
I recommend sending this post to your contacts. This is desperately important and people need to know about it -- quickly!

 

To check it out on Snopes click here: Health Insurance Exemptions (http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/exemptions.asp).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on December 03, 2010, 06:59:32 am
man ALL them healthcare companies are owned by muslims, damn.

i've worked with muslims and never met one who turned down the hmo plan
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2010, 12:14:30 am
This one sure covers a lot of ground.

Quote
Robert A. Hall is the actor who plays the coroner on CSI if you watch that show.

This should be required reading for every man, woman and child in the  United States of America ..

"I'm 63 and Im Tired"
by Robert A. Hall

I'm 63.  Except for one semester in college when jobs were scarce and a six-month period when I was between jobs, but job-hunting every day, I've worked, hard, since I was 18. Despite some health cha llenges, I still put in 50-hour weeks, and haven't called in sick in seven or eight years. I make a good salary, but I didn't inherit my job or my income, and I worked to get where I am. Given the economy, there's no retirement in sight, and I'm tired. Very tired. 

I'm tired of being told that I have to "spread the wealth" to people who don't have my work ethic. I'm tired of being told the government will take the money I earned, by force if necessary, and give it to people too lazy to earn it. 

I'm tired of being told that I have to pay more taxes to "keep people in their homes."  Sure, if they lost their jobs or got sick, I'm willing to help. But if they bought McMansions at three times the price of our paid-off, $250,000 condo, on one-third of my salary, then let the left-wing Congress-critters who passed Fannie and Freddie and the Commu nity Reinvestment Act that created the bubble help them with their own money. 

I'm tired of being told how bad  America  is by left-wing millionaires like Michael Moore, George Soros and Hollywood Entertainers who live in luxury because of the opportunities  America  offers. In thirty years, if they get their way, the  United States  will have the economy of  Zimbabwe , the freedom of the press of  China , the crime and violence of  Mexico , the tolerance for Christian people of  Iran , and the freedom of speech of  Venezuela ..

I'm tired of being told that Islam is a "Religion of Peace," when every day I can read dozens of stories of Muslim men killing their sisters, wives and daughters for their family "honor"; of Muslims rioting over some slight offense; of Muslims murdering Christian and Jews because they aren't "believers"; of Muslims burning schools for girls; of Muslims stoning teenage rape victims to death for "adultery"; of Muslims mutilating the genitals of little girls; all in the name of Allah, because the Qur'an and Shari'a law tells them to. 

I'm tired of being told that "race doesn't matter" in the post-racial world of Obama, when it's all that matters in affirmative action jobs, lower college admission and graduation standards for minorities (harming them the most), government contract set-asides, tolerance for the ghetto culture of violence and fatherless children that hurts minorities more than anyone, and in the appoint ment of U.S. Senators from Illinois. 

I think it's very cool that we have a black president and that a black child is doing her homework at the desk where  Lincoln  wrote the Emancipation Proclamation. I just wish the black president was Condi Rice, or someone who believes more in freedom and the individual and less arrogantly of an all-knowing government. 

I'm tired of a news media that thinks Bush's fundraising and inaugural expenses were obscene, but that think Obama's, at triple the cost, were wonderful; that thinks Bush exercising daily was a waste of presidential time, but Obama exercising is a great example for the public to control weight and stress; that picked over every line of Bush's military records, but never demanded that Kerry release his; that slammed Palin, with two years as governor, for being too inexperienced for VP, but touted Obama with three years as senator as potentially the best president ever. Wonder why people are dropping their subscriptions or switching to Fox News?  Get a clue. I didn't vote for Bush in 2000, but the media and Kerry drove me to his camp in 2004. 

I'm tired of being told that out of "tolerance for other cultures" we must let  Saudi Arabia  use our oil money to fund mosques and mandrassa Islamic schools to preach hate in  America , while no American group is allowed to fund a church, synagogue or religious school in  Saudi Arabia  to teach love and tolerance. 

I'm tired of being told I must lower my living standard to fight global warming, which no one is allowed to debate. My wife and I live in a two-bedroom apartment and carpool together five miles to our jobs. We also own a  three-bedroom condo where our daughter and granddaughter live. Our carbon footprint is about 5% of Al Gore's, and if you're greener than Gore, you're green enough. 

I'm tired of being told that drug addicts have a disease, and I must help support and treat them, and pay for the damage they do. Did a giant germ rush out of a dark alley, grab them, and stuff white powder up their noses while they tried to fight it off? I don't think Gay people choose to be Gay, but I damn sure think druggies chose to take drugs. And I'm tired of harassment from cool people treating me like a freak when I tell them I never tried marijuana. 

I'm tired of illegal al iens being called "undocumented workers," especially the ones who aren't working, but are living on welfare or crime. What's next?  Calling drug dealers, "Undocumented Pharmacists"?  And, no,  I'm not against Hispanics. Most of them are Catholic, and it's been a few hundred years since Catholics wanted to kill me for my religion.  I'm willing to fast track for citizenship any Hispanic person, who can speak English, doesn't have a criminal record and who is self-supporting without family on welfare, or who serves honorably for three years in our military.... Those are the citizens we need.

I'm tired of latte liberals and journalists, who would never wear the uniform of the Republic themselves, or let their entitlement-handicapped kids near a recruiting station, trashing our military. They and their kids can sit at home, never having to make split-second decisions under life and death circumstances, and bad mout h better people than themselves. Do bad things happen in war?  You bet. Do our troops sometimes misbehave?  Sure. Does this compare with the atrocities that were the policy of our enemies for the last fifty years and still are?  Not even close.  So here's the deal. I'll let myself be subjected to all the humiliation and abuse that was heaped on terrorists at Abu Ghraib or Gitmo, and the critics can let themselves be subject to captivity by the Muslims, who tortured and beheaded Daniel Pearl in Pakistan, or the Muslims who tortured and murdered Marine Lt. Col. William Higgins in Lebanon, or the Muslims who ran the blood-spattered Al Qaeda torture rooms our troops found in Iraq, or the Muslims who cut off the heads of schoolgirls in Indonesia, because the girls were Christian. Then we'll compare notes. British and American soldiers are the only troops in history that civilians came to for help and handouts, instead of hiding from in fear. 

I'm tired of people telling me that their party has a corner on virtue and the other party has a corner on corruption. Read the papers; bums are bipartisan. And I'm tired of people telling me we need bipartisanship. I live in   Illinois  , where the "Illinois Combine" of Democrats has worked to loot the public for years. Not to mention the tax cheats in Obama's cabinet. 

I'm tired of hearing wealthy athletes, entertainers and politicians of both parties talking about innocent mistakes, stupid mistakes or youthful mistakes, when we all know they think their only mistake was getting caught. I'm tired of people with a sense of entitlement, rich o r poor. 

Speaking of poor, I'm tired of hearing people with air-conditioned homes, color TVs and two cars called poor. The majority of Americans didn't have that in 1970, but we didn't know we were "poor." The poverty pimps have to keep changing the definition of poor to keep the dollars flowing. 

I'm real tired of people who don't take responsibility for their lives and actions. I'm tired of hearing them blame the government, or discrimination or big-whatever for their problems. 

Yes, I'm damn tired. But I'm also glad to be 63. Because, mostly, I'm not going to have to see the world these people are making. I'm just sorry for my granddaughter. 

Robert  A. Hall is a Marine  Vietnam  veteran who served five terms in the  Massachusetts    State   Senate.

There is no way this will be widely publicized, unless each of us sends it on!
This is your chance to make a difference.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on December 24, 2010, 12:24:47 am
So I guess it's real and correctly attributed (http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/imtired.asp) except for the part where Robert A. Hall is not the actor from CSI, which I learned after spending 5 seconds on the internet.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on December 24, 2010, 12:34:44 am
Don't worry too much about the world you're leaving for your granddaughter, Bob - the House majority is fixing to shut down any serious work being done to address climate change, so she'll be too busy working the sandbags to worry about how the country is going downhill.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2010, 12:53:25 am
I didn't even think to check the attribution. 

It did cross my mind that it's a common tactic of right wingers poo poo anything said by lefty entertainers such as Sean Penn, etc. simply because they are entertainers.  This one has the gall to attack "left-wing Hollywood millionaire entertainers" while claiming to actually be written by a Hollywood entertainer.  Of course it's alright to have an opinion if you are a right winger I guess. 

Nevermind that the rights greatest hero of all spent many years in the entertainment industry.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on December 24, 2010, 01:05:12 am
63 and can't retire yet? Sounds like someone hasn't been boot-strappy enough.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 24, 2010, 01:09:27 am
today I heard, second-hand, my co-worker's rant about how our other co-worker is not "really" Jewish because she is black.
He didn't say "she's black," but he was pointing out all of these cultural things that have nothing to do with religion and everything to do with culture/ethnicity/whatever.

And not in like, a nuanced way that took full account of the range of things "Jewish" can mean or anything like that.

I wish I had been there so I could have pointed out that there are plenty of people who would say he isn't a real Jew either, what with the working on the Sabbath and eating cheeseburgers and all.
(or, you know, thought that real hard while silently judging.)

Especially when there are so many other, valid reasons to say that this girl is a pain in the ass.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 24, 2010, 02:16:33 am
I love how this guy rails against social programs but makes no mention of the million dollar bombs we use to blow up caves half way around the world. Social programs at least theoretically lead to a healthier economy. Blowing up third world cave dwellings and taking over countries have no impact direct or indirect on the domestic economy.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on December 24, 2010, 02:35:55 am
Well, someone must be supporting their family by building those million dollar bombs, right?

I'm so disappointed that the author isn't both a war veteran five term state senator and an actor on CSI. You know I love a good career change story.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 24, 2010, 02:50:37 am
Quote
Robert A. Hall is the actor who plays the coroner on CSI if you watch that show.
I don't watch that show. Therefore, he isn't the actor who plays the coroner on CSI. I don't think we needed a snopes page to figure that out.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on December 24, 2010, 09:36:48 pm
Quote
Robert A. Hall is the actor who plays the coroner on CSI if you watch that show.
I don't watch that show. Therefore, he isn't the actor who plays the coroner on CSI. I don't think we needed a snopes page to figure that out.
Fucking nice work, there!

today I heard, second-hand, my co-worker's rant about how our other co-worker is not "really" Jewish because she is black.

But . . . but . . . Sammy Davis Jr.!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 25, 2010, 11:01:34 pm
my dumb uncle gave my aunt a dumb present. she was clearly disappointed. my grandmother turns to me (directly next to my uncle) and says "never give your wife a present like that. See her reaction? She doesn't like it. She is disappointed. Never do that."

also, we were trying to sing a silly Christmas song with their son (five years old) and he told us he couldn't sing it, because some of the words are not real words. his mother smiled approvingly.

way to raise a grumpy little nerd, guys.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on December 25, 2010, 11:31:34 pm
Was it a vacuum?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 26, 2010, 01:25:10 am
One year my dad gave my mother headphones for their anniversary.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 26, 2010, 05:42:51 am
Quote
It just hit me !!
 
My dog sleeps about 20 hours a day. She has her food prepared for her.
She can eat whenever she wants, 24/7/365.
Her meals are provided at no cost to her.
She visits the Dr. once a year for her checkup, and again during the year if any medical needs arise.
For this she pays nothing, and nothing is required of her.
She lives in a nice neighborhood in a house that is much larger than she needs, but she is not required to do any upkeep.
If she makes a mess, someone else cleans it up.
She has her choice of luxurious places to sleep. She receives these accommodations absolutely free.
She is living like a queen, and has absolutely no expenses whatsoever.
All of her costs are picked up by others who go out and earn a living every day.
 
I was just thinking about all this, and suddenly it hit me like a brick in the head,
 
My dog is a Democrat!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on December 26, 2010, 05:51:16 am
Sounds more like the monarchy, am I right.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 26, 2010, 06:10:48 am
Sounds more like anyone who owns significant shares of News Corp who own Fox News and...

Ohhhhhhhhh shiiiiiittttt...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 26, 2010, 06:22:29 am
actually, if we are applying political labels here, you are the democrat and your dog is a non-voting benefactor of your policies.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on December 26, 2010, 03:45:16 pm
Sometimes a dog is just a dog.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 26, 2010, 06:19:54 pm
dogs provide clean up if you drop something tasty on the floor by accident or on purpose.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on December 26, 2010, 11:15:26 pm
dogs provide clean up if you drop something tasty on the floor by accident or on purpose.

Dogs pretty much love you unless you do something really, really shitty. And you usually have to do it a lot. So the other side of this dynamic lines up pretty well with republicans, anyway.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on December 27, 2010, 02:55:02 pm
I know it's moot, but all I was thinking when reading that, before getting to the Democrat whammy, is that really, dogs do have several responsibilities.  Dogs have to be loyal and well behaved.  We expect them to not bite, shit or piss in our homes.  We expect them to be quiet.  We ask them to do tasks like provide security or carry things.  My dog is a lot less parasitic than my cats.  Seriously.  If someone wants to write an example of a creature that gets away with everything and brings little to the table, cats make a better point.  D-.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on December 27, 2010, 03:20:21 pm
Youall are right. That is not even a good analogy, on so many levels.

I am capable of being amused by someone who is cleverly insulting my own political leanings. What's depressing about that is not so much that it's wrong, it's that it's not even remotely amusing about it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 28, 2010, 06:06:22 pm
Well, this is a juicy one...

Quote
Senator Alan Simpson Calls Seniors 'Greediest Generation'..

This person is PISSED!!!!  Wish I were the one that sent this to the beloved Senator!!!!  There isn't a word that is false and I am believing that many Americans are beginning to think along these same lines......
         
 From a man in Montana....who - like the rest of us - has just about had enough

 Hey Alan,

Let’s get a few things straight…

1.      As a career politician, you have been on the public dole for FIFTY YEARS…
2.      I have been paying Social Security taxes for 48 YEARS (since I was 15 years old. I am now 63)…
3.      My Social Security payments, and those of millions of other Americans, were safely tucked away in an interest bearing account for decades until you political pukes decided to raid the account and give OUR money to a bunch of zero ambition losers in return for votes, thus bankrupting the system and turning Social Security into a Ponzi scheme that would have made Bernie Madoff proud…
4.      Recently, just like Lucy & Charlie Brown, you and your ilk pulled the proverbial football away from millions of American seniors nearing retirement and moved the goalposts for full retirement from age 65 to age 67. NOW, you and your shill commission is proposing to move the goalposts YET AGAIN…
5.      I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying into Medicare from Day One, and now you morons propose to change the rules of the game. Why? Because you idiots mismanaged other parts of the economy to such an extent that you need to steal money from Medicare to pay the bills…
6.      I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying income taxes our entire lives, and now you propose to increase our taxes yet again. Why? Because you incompetent bastards spent our money so profligately that you just kept on spending even after you ran out of money. Now, you come to the American taxpayers and say you need more to pay of YOUR debt…

To add insult to injury, you label us “greedy” for calling “bullshit” on your incompetence. Well, Captain Bullshit, I have a few questions for YOU…

1.      How much money have you earned from the American taxpayers during your pathetic 50-year political career?
2.      At what age did you retire from your pathetic political career, and how much are you receiving in annual retirement benefits from the American taxpayers?
3.      How much do you pay for YOUR government provided health insurance?
4.      What cuts in YOUR retirement and health care benefits are you proposing in your disgusting deficit reduction proposal, or, as usual, have you exempted yourself and your political cronies?

It is you, Captain Bullshit, and your political co-conspirators who are “greedy”. It is you and they who have bankrupted America and stolen the American dream from millions of loyal, patriotic taxpayers. And for what? Votes. That’s right, sir. You and yours have bankrupted America for the sole purpose of advancing your pathetic political careers.. You know it, we know it, and you know that we know it.

And you can take that to the bank, you miserable son of a bitch.

Always say what you mean  ! !
always mean what you say  ! !
NEVER    COMPROMISE .........
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on December 28, 2010, 06:19:26 pm
Damn that Alan Simpson!  It's all his fault!

You know what I love?  The writer rails on and on about overspending, but dollars to donuts they supported the Iraq war.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on December 28, 2010, 06:48:51 pm
Fuckers giving OUR social security to a bunch of zero-ambition losers.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on December 29, 2010, 12:47:29 am
The never compromise at the end makes me want to read it in Rorschach's voice.

Also, why is the framing device for these letters always 'Look what this other guy wrote'? Why not 'Look at the letter I sent that asshole senator!'
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 29, 2010, 01:21:12 am
Fuckers giving OUR social security to a bunch of zero-ambition losers.

This guy lacks any kind of fundamental understanding how social security works. Social security payments are a pyramid scheme, not some kind of fuck*ng 401k. My social security payments today pay the social security checks to my grandparents. Yes, my grandparents, who rail against big government all day long but live but collect social security, use VA Healthcare and Medicare. They don't get by without their grandkids paying taxes. The first generation to receive social security hit the lottery and we've all been paying for it ever since. Another ill informed angry e-mail chain letter from a disconnected old person.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on December 29, 2010, 02:52:05 am
I would say there's every chance this is something dreamed up by an operative to actually stir up angry oldsters.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 29, 2010, 03:22:26 am
You're right, that would make a lot of sense.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on December 30, 2010, 06:19:27 pm
I just got this email which was forwarded to about 400 staff in child protection services.  I Snopesed it then called the local police department mentioned to verify it as false before issuing a agency wide retraction 

I’m sure you’ve all seen this one or one like it before.  This one's been circulating for years, and I' previously saw a version of it that didn't include local details.

My question is, who is the douche who gets the original email, then “helpfully” changes the details so it has a local flavour?  And what possesses them to do so?  Who ever it was in this case used the correct phone number for the local police professional standards unit, but used and address of an office building that they aren’t located in.


Quote
This was passed on to me by a friends who is a lawyer, so I believe it is a useful alert.  - John

Warning from the Winnipeg Police:

On a Friday night some people parked in a public parking lot. As they drove away they noticed a sticker on the rear window of their car. When they took
it off after they got home, it was a receipt for gas. Luckily their friend had told them earlier not to stop as it could be someone waiting for them to
get out of the car.

This warning was recently aired by the Winnipeg City Police on a CJOB Talk Show.

WARNING FROM CITY POLICE .... BEWARE OF A PAPER ON THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE .... IT'S A NEW WAY OF CARJACKING. (NOT A JOKE)

Heads up everyone .... Husbands, wives, kids, everyone!!! Please, keep this circulating ... You walk across the parking lot unlock your car and get
inside. You start the engine and shift into reverse. When you look into the rear view mirror to back out of your parking space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window. So, you shift into Park, unlock your doors, and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view. When you reach the back of your car, that is when the carjackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your
car and take off. They practically mow you down as they speed off in your car. And guess what ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car. So now that the carjacker(s) have your car, your home address, your money, and your keys, your home and your whole identity are now compromised!  BEWARE OF THIS

NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED!

If you see a piece of paper stuck to your back window lock your doors and just drive away. Remove the paper later and be thankful that you read this e-mail.

I hope you will forward it to friends and family, especially to women. A purse contains all kinds of personal information and identification documents and you certainly do NOT want this to fall into the wrong hands.

Be safe!

Jennifer Dutchyshen S849
Winnipeg Police Service
Professional Standards Unit
10th flr - 457 Main Street
986-6079



Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 30, 2010, 06:58:02 pm
I've seen variations on that.  Lots of email warnings against stuff that either never happened or didn't happen in any way like it's being described. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on December 30, 2010, 11:21:25 pm
Was it a vacuum?

Somewhat late to the party, here, but one year (before I was part of the family), my father-in-law apparently gave my mother-in-law a mop and some buckets. She wept.

My family's worst story was about the time when my parents were newlyweds and my mom subtly hinted that she'd like "something nice to wear to bed" for Christmas. My dad got her one-piece pink flannel pajamas, complete with feet and a butt-flap. I'm pretty sure she still has them. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 31, 2010, 12:11:23 am
Was the buttflap a... hint?

Of Certain Desires?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 31, 2010, 03:38:25 am
i didnt know they made pink union suits....
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on December 31, 2010, 03:58:20 am
Was the buttflap a... hint?

Of Certain Desires?

NO.

END OF DISCUSSION.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on December 31, 2010, 04:13:36 am
bone bone bone
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on December 31, 2010, 04:11:51 pm
NO.

END OF DISCUSSION.

So you're pretty happy that we are constantly talking about your family and all the sex that they have?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 31, 2010, 09:37:51 pm
I love this sex life of Jayell's parents meme we have.  Are there any other tell tale clues to their sex life you want to have us explore for you?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2011, 05:35:51 pm
I'm actually not finding any fault with this one.  I'm always suspicious of quotes on the internet.  They are often mis-attributed or sneakily altered to change their meaning. I haven't fact checked this.

Quote
Thomas Jefferson was a very remarkable man who started learning very early in life and never stopped.

At 5, began studying under his cousin's tutor.

At 9, studied Latin, Greek and French.

At 14, studied classical literature and additional languages.

At 16, entered the College of William and Mary.

At 19, studied Law for 5 years starting under George Wythe.

At 23, started his own law practice.

At 25, was elected to the Virginia House of Burgesses.

At 31, wrote the widely circulated "Summary View of the Rights of British America" and retired from his law practice.

At 32, was a Delegate to the Second Continental Congress.

At 33, wrote the Declaration of Independence .

At 33, took three years to revise Virginia ’s legal code and wrote a Public Education bill and a statute for Religious Freedom.

At 36, was elected the second Governor of Virginia succeeding Patrick Henry.

At 40, served in Congress for two years.

At 41, was the American minister to France and negotiated commercial treaties with European nations along with Ben Franklin and John Adams.

At 46, served as the first Secretary of State under George Washington.

At 53, served as Vice President and was elected president of the American Philosophical Society.

At 55, drafted the Kentucky Resolutions and became the active head of Republican Party.

At 57, was elected the third president of the United States .

At 60, obtained the Louisiana Purchase doubling the nation’s size.

At 61, was elected to a second term as President.

At 65, retired to Monticello .

 At 80, helped President Monroe shape the Monroe Doctrine.

 At 81, almost single-handedly created the University of Virginia and served as its first president.

 At 83, died on the 50th anniversary of the Signing of the Declaration of Independence along with John Adams

Thomas Jefferson knew because he himself studied the previous failed attempts at government.  He understood actual history, the nature of God, his laws and the nature of man.  That happens to be way more than what most understand today.  Jefferson really knew his stuff.  A voice from the past to lead us in the future:

John F. Kennedy held a dinner in the white House for a group of the brightest minds in the nation at that time. He made this statement: "This is perhaps the assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in the White House with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe ."
        Thomas Jefferson

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
        Thomas Jefferson

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes.  A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."
        Thomas Jefferson

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
        Thomas Jefferson

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
        Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
        Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
        Thomas Jefferson

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
        Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
        Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:  "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.  If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

I wish we could get this out to everyone!!!

I'm doing my part.  Please do yours......
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2011, 07:58:02 pm
I don't think there is anything in there to "disprove," but there are lots of TJ quotes these people would hate.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on January 08, 2011, 08:16:15 pm
Yeah, that's some cherry-picking, to be sure.

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity."

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear."

"I concur with you strictly in your opinion of the comparative merits of atheism and demonism, and really see nothing but the latter in the being worshipped by many who think themselves Christians."



There's a million more. Don't want to turn this into school.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on January 08, 2011, 08:56:45 pm
Quote
At 55, drafted the Kentucky Resolutions and became the active head of Republican Party.

This is a little misleading.  It was actually called the Democratic-Republican party and later evolved into the modern Democratic party, to the extent that Democrats (at least in this state) celebrate Jefferson-Jackson Day with political rallies.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on January 08, 2011, 10:05:55 pm
He understood actual history, the nature of God, his laws and the nature of man.

http://www.sullivan-county.com/id3/jefferson_deist.htm
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 08, 2011, 10:12:41 pm
You know how these arguements go.

It's always Yahweh or the highway.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 09, 2011, 12:20:58 am
Holy Christ, they are literally terrorists.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 09, 2011, 04:39:19 am
day of disappointment:

1. my sister tagged her only Jewish friend as "someone smart" in one of those "tag your friends as one of these anime characters/weird symbols/:) face" whatever things. The symbol for "someone smart" is a book next to a star of David. She made a comment about it being a "Jew star." WTF.
2. my coworker expressed the belief that ice is water and salt.
3. my coworker didn't know what Scurvy was. (this one I can forgive)
4. a third coworker tried to log into our computer system and gave up in rage/frustration when it told him his password had to be at least 7 characters long.
5. when the shooting in Arizona and possible storylines came up, another coworker drew a comparison to how Palin's daughter did well in Dancing with the Stars, and that was so unfair.

I withdraw my former statement about the arizona shootings, as further reading shows that I may be drawing premature conclusions based on headlines. The danger of sneaking peeks at your smartphone at work.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on January 09, 2011, 05:24:05 am
2. my coworker expressed the belief that ice is water and salt.

Interesting. Sixth graders at my elementary school had to complete a "rural skills" project, basically where you made something by hand. The teacher who started it apparently had learned of a teenager who didn't know that orange juice was made out of oranges, and wanted to make sure that students leaving his school would know shit like that. Who knows if that story is true, but I guess I can get that a person who was raised in a shitty household on a shitty diet with poor access to learning materials might not know what orange juice is. It's not like it's explicitly taught in school, right? Or maybe it is, and they just never paid attention because they had such a shitty life. But it's amazing to me that someone who lives in a climate that produces ice naturally, and with access to water and electricity, doesn't know exactly what ice is by the time they are old enough to hold a job.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 09, 2011, 05:57:52 am
Dan, I don't know that it was so premature.

The murderer's youtube account was littered with strange ramblings about currency policy, the gold standard and government mind-control... all pretty common tropes of the fringe Teabag right.

It's kind of obvious that the psychotic was not clear-headed enough to be a direct operative of that movement, true.

However, the idea that he was indirectly inspired by all the hate speech in the media ether still seems quite possible. Still seems probable.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 09, 2011, 06:35:15 am
oh christ, I forgot the other thing for my list:

-"oh, cool, this wine is pretty good. Good choice. My parents drink it a lot."
"yeah, we figured, we're eating tacos for dinner, so Chilean wine was a good choice."
WHAT.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 09, 2011, 06:37:09 am
Because the taco seasoning had Chile powder in it!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 09, 2011, 06:41:40 am
by that logic, the catholic church should start using blue nun for communion, from now on.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: lprkn on January 09, 2011, 10:48:01 pm
Quote
stuff TJ said

Yeah, quoting any of the founding fathers to support a particular political position is problematic. Most of them were so prolific that you could probably find something to support just about any position. Kind of like those religious groups that take one verse or passage and decide to base their whole positon around it.

This kind of shit is character assassination. These people are being resurrected as mouthpieces of whatever wingnut wants lend their position some semblance of credibility.

It's not just limited to the founders, either. Ronald Reagan is running a close second to Lincoln as the conservative political hero, even though benefits payments and the national deficit exploded when he was president.

I blame our education system to a large extent: people are obviously lacking in basic critical thinking skills and rudimentary knowledge of American history and political culture if they fall for this crap.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on January 10, 2011, 02:27:31 am
The Palin target thing was pretty reprehensible.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 10, 2011, 06:01:51 am
friend I haven't talked to in a while:
1. responds to "oh, actually ****** just dumped me" with the story of how his cell-phone died this morning and he is so sad.
2. asks me if I'm working at a grocery store as some sort of preparation for future anthropology research.
once I explain "no, I work here so I can have food and a house," he asks
3. wait, but, why a grocery store? do you like grocery stores a lot?
4. why don't you just get a different job? You have a college degree! (I get this one a lot, but... not usually from people who graduated at the same time as me.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 10, 2011, 06:09:37 am
Quote from: theinevitable
asks me if I'm working at a grocery store as some sort of preparation for future anthropology research.

Will you concede that this dude is a hipster?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 10, 2011, 06:51:13 am
no, he isn't at all.

he is a neurotic asian gay man who lives with his parents and works at a library. he is so far from whatever a hipster is.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on January 10, 2011, 07:01:26 am
yeah mike he doesn't even have a mustache
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 10, 2011, 07:32:33 am
The assumption that you got a job amoungst "the normals" only to observe them as an experiment is the most hipster thing in the universe, though.

There is more hipster in that kneejerk assumption than twenty-five ironic tattoos could possibly muster.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 10, 2011, 07:39:17 am
wait, no. that is not what is going on at all. you just want to think that everyone I know is a "hipster." You are a troll.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 10, 2011, 04:10:40 pm
The assumption that you got a job amoungst "the normals" only to observe them as an experiment is the most hipster thing in the universe, though.

I could pretend to be a regular, dumb kid.  Study my classmates.  See what makes 'em tick. (http://www.snpp.com/episodes/7G02)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 10, 2011, 06:34:55 pm
Can't quote the actual email because it was an embedded image, so I'll link to a PDF (http://www.skidawayrepublicanclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/National_Motto_Letter_to_President.pdf). Apparently E pluribus unum is not the national motto.

On a similar note, who was the asshole that shouted out "Except for Obama" over and over when they got to the part about only natural born citizens being eligible for the office of president when Congress was reading the constitution last week?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: lprkn on January 10, 2011, 09:55:07 pm
Quote from: elected officials with too much time on their hands
As Ronald Reagan once said...

See: my previous point.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 21, 2011, 12:19:33 am
Just to reiterate, these emails come from my 70 something year old uncle.

Quote
The smell of rain

At the end of this story, it gives you two options.. I think you will figure out what option I chose.

A cold March wind danced around the dead of night in Dallas as the doctor walked into the small hospital room of Diana Blessing. She was still groggy from surgery.  Her husband, David , held her hand as they braced themselves for the latest news.  That afternoon of March 10, 1991, complications had forced Diana, only 24-weeks pregnant, to undergo an emergency Caesarean to deliver couple's new daughter, Dana Lu Blessing.

At 12 inches long and weighing only one pound nine ounces, they already knew she was perilously premature.  Still, the doctor's soft words dropped like bombs.  'I don't think she's going to make it,' he said, as kindly as he could.  'There's only a 10-percent chance she will live through the night, and even then, if by some slim chance she does make it, her future could be a very cruel one'

Numb with disbelief, David and Diana listened as the doctor described the devastating problems Dana would likely face if she survived. She would never walk, she would never talk, she would probably be blind, and she would certainly be prone to other catastrophic conditions from cerebral palsy to complete mental retardation, and on and on.

'No! No!' was all Diana could say.  She and David, with their 5-year-old son Dustin, had long dreamed of the day they would have a daughter to become a family of four.  Now, within a matter of hours, that dream was slipping away.

But as those first days passed, a new agony set in for David and Diana. Because Dana 's underdeveloped nervous system was essentially 'raw', the lightest kiss or caress only intensified her discomfort, so they couldn't even cradle their tiny baby girl against their chests to offer the strength of their love.  All they could do, as Dana struggled alone beneath the ultraviolet light in the tangle of tubes and wires, was to pray that God would stay close to their precious little girl. 

There was never a moment when Dana suddenly grew stronger.  But as the weeks went by, she did slowly gain an ounce of weight here and an ounce of strength there.  At last, when Dana turned two months old. her parents were able to hold her in their arms for the very first time.  And two months later, though doctors continued to gently but grimly warn that her chances of surviving, much less living any kind of normal life, were next to zero, Dana went home from the hospital, just as her mother had predicted.

Five years later, when Dana was a petite but feisty young girl with glittering gray eyes and an unquenchable zest for life.  She showed no signs whatsoever of any mental or physical impairment. Simply, she was everything a little girl can be and more. But that happy ending is far from the end of her story.

One blistering afternoon in the summer of 1996 near her home in Irving , Texas , Dana was sitting in her mother's lap in the bleachers of a local ball park where her brother Dustin's baseball team was practicing.  As always, Dana was chattering non-stop with her mother and several other adults sitting nearby, when she suddenly fell silent. Hugging her arms across her chest, little Dana asked, 'Do you smell that?'  Smelling the air and detecting the approach of a thunderstorm, Diana replied, 'Yes, it smells like rain.'  Dana closed her eyes and again asked, 'Do you smell that?'  Once again, her mother replied, 'Yes, I think we're about to get wet. It smells like rain.'

Still caught in the moment, Dana shook her head, patted her thin shoulders with her small hands and loudly announced,
'No, it smells like Him.  It smells like God when you lay your head on His chest.'  Tears blurred Diana's eyes as Dana happily hopped down to play with the other children.

Before the rains came, her daughter's words confirmed what Diana and all the members of the extended Blessing family had known, at least in their hearts, all along.  During those long days and nights of her first two months of her life, when her nerves were too sensitive for them to touch her, God was holding Dana on His chest and it is His loving scent that she remembers so well.

You now have 1 of 2 choices. You can either pass this on and let other people catch the chills like you did or you can delete this and act like it didn't touch your heart like it did mine.

IT'S YOUR CALL!

'I can do all things in Him who strengthens me.'

This morning when the Lord opened a window to Heaven, He saw me, and He asked: 'My child, what is your greatest wish for today?' I responded:  'Lord please, take care of the person who is reading this message, their family and their special friends. They deserve it and I love them very much' The love of God is like the ocean, you can see its beginning, but not its end..

________________________

This message works on the day you receive it. Let us see if it is true.
ANGELS EXIST but some times, since they don't all have wings, we call them FRIENDS.
________________________

Pass this on to your true friends. Something good will happen to you at 11:00 in the morning; something that you have been waiting to hear.

This is not a joke; someone will call you by phone or will speak to you about something that you were waiting to hear.

Do not break this prayer; send it to a minimum of 5 people
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on January 21, 2011, 01:51:55 am
Ash, I remember December 2004 -- I was expecting Pearce at the time, and hearing your story back then just broke my heart. I didn't know your second go-round was so terrifying, though. Glad it worked out.

We had a minute or two with Pearce's birth where he wasn't looking so good (he came out bright purple but squalling) and while that experience can't teach me a single thing about what you went through it at least helps me imagine. And when I read a story like this, I kind of look at it and think, "It's nice that your kid made it, but you're not any more special than the people whose kids don't."

I mean, what's the point supposed to be? That if you give a million people million-to-one odds, eventually somebody's going to beat them?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 21, 2011, 04:55:14 am
I mean, what's the point supposed to be? That if you give a million people million-to-one odds, eventually somebody's going to beat them?

A million babies died while this kid was laying on God's chest for 2 months.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on January 21, 2011, 05:37:33 am
my brother didn't breathe his first three minutes out of the womb. born at home on my parents' bed to a midwife's hands, somehow that kid basically defied nature.

(he was born at home because i was born at a hospital on a day when the nurses were more interested in watching something epic on a soap opera)

but seriously, david/diana/dana/dustin? and their last name is blessing. come on.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on January 21, 2011, 01:50:25 pm
I went to middle school with a kid named David Blessing -- he grew up to be a pastor. So that part, at least, is moderately believable.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on January 21, 2011, 08:50:22 pm
People do funny things with names.  There was a family whose boys attended my high school: Myron, Byron, Shyron and Dyron.  Another one named their kids Christopher, Christina, and Chrystal (only Chrystal goes by Chris). Closer to home, my kids are both Kappa Mu (Kaitlin Morgan and Cameron Matthew).  We won't even get into what happens with twins...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on January 21, 2011, 11:02:07 pm
And some people have the audacity to name their kids after character traits they value. Charity, Faith, Hero...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on January 21, 2011, 11:35:29 pm
Family down the road from me when I was living in Juneau had kids named Brick, Tim Burr, and Skiff.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on January 22, 2011, 11:48:59 am
I'm going to say what I always think when I hear a story like this: Miracle, hell, a bunch of people worked their asses off around the clock to keep that kid alive but everyone goes and gives God all the credit because a simpler story gives people the warm and fuzzies.
I don't normally say that sort of thing out loud because its churlish, but I feel I'm in a safe place here.

Ash's story is a straight up miracle though. Any divine entity would surely want him raising as many kids as possible out of sheer curiousity at what would happen to them.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on January 22, 2011, 04:58:49 pm
when i used to believe in god he was always more of a star trek villain of the week than a benevolent bestower of life and virtue
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on January 22, 2011, 05:11:46 pm
And to cross-pollinate from the NFL thread:

My favorite player this year is Steve Johnson (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/32565/whirl-interrupted-steve-johnson-drops-ball), as he's the only player I know of who has ever thrown down the (sort of) contrapositive to all the athletes who say jesus delivered the win for their teams.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on January 22, 2011, 05:55:43 pm
I can't find it anywhere on the internet, but one of my favorite Onion headlines is: Basketball Star Blames God for Defeat
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on January 23, 2011, 04:30:29 am
That's a good thing you are doing.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on January 23, 2011, 08:18:18 am
I can't find it anywhere on the internet, but one of my favorite Onion headlines is: Basketball Star Blames God for Defeat

Years and years ago now a popular tv comedian here won the national 'best tv person' type award and thanked Satan, lord of Darkness.

We have funded a program of the NICU team going on five years now, in conjunction with the Girl Scouts. They decorate and deliver custom blankets for the infants to help soften and personalize what is basically times of hell for the parents. It's the least we could do. Special, special people and it's a good thing to mention.

It is. And did God ever give people custom blankets? Hell no.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on January 23, 2011, 03:48:58 pm
It is. And did God ever give people custom blankets? Hell no.

We used to give the indians custom blankets; that didn't work out very well for them.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on January 23, 2011, 10:57:03 pm
I didn't even think twice; I did that for you.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 28, 2011, 08:03:21 am
Quote
TEXANS CAN CONTRIBUTE A LOT TO THIS EFFORT!

Plant a pig

Please donate to your local "Plant A Pig Foundation" today. Not tax deductible, but well worth the effort. In Spain , at Seville some local people found a way to stop the construction of another mosque in their town. They buried a pig on the site, making sure this would be known by the local press. Islamic rules forbid erecting a Mosque on "pig soiled ground". The Muslims had to cancel the project...this land had been sold to them by government officials... No protests were needed by the local people ... and it worked!! Not dummies …. the Spaniards. They found a solution !!! No protests needed!

In Texas they have an over abundance of feral pigs. They could send them all over the country and just plant them everywhere!  Another way would be to capture a lot of the Feral Pigs roaming all over south Texas and run them through a Mosque already built.  After all…contaminated soil would surely drift and they could create new job programs by having soil testers to determine where contaminated soil existed.  Of course, high on the mountain tops of the Rockies or othermountain ranges they might find some uncontaminated soil, but then…building a mosque there would pose some problems…Americans…put on your thinking caps and let’s find a solution to this problem of a spreading menace to the American way of life!  If pigs are the answer…let’s do it!                   

Your Committee for the Betterment of America

Let’s keep this going….send it on!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 28, 2011, 02:35:35 pm
Worse yet, they didn't even use the 5000 funnier pig-related puns you could deploy for such a concept.

"Plant a Pig"? Really?

Not even "Hamerican Pride"?

Not even "drawing a Bacon-Dixon Line"?

Not even "you're snoutta here"?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on January 28, 2011, 02:41:04 pm
Real Americans desecrate houses of worship and actively seek to prevent others from exercising their freedom of religion!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on January 28, 2011, 02:50:58 pm
Shame on you, AW. You know that religious freedom only applies to Mormons and Scientologists.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 28, 2011, 04:31:29 pm
Cans for everyone.  "You're snouta here." heh heh...

I didn't fact check this one.  It's probably not even true.

Edit: Yes it's true that opponents of the Seville Mosque have put pig remains on a proposed site. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on January 28, 2011, 06:01:17 pm
Here's an article about the Texas pig problem.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/A-Plague-of-Pigs-in-Texas.html (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/A-Plague-of-Pigs-in-Texas.html)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on January 28, 2011, 06:10:05 pm
Being from an aboriginal community, it's hard for me to imagine wild pigs or any other delicious or useful animal running loose as a problem.  I guess I had never considered the location of legal hunting though.  That's more because I get to enjoy the benefits of other people's hunting without doing the work myself, so the practicalities are lost on me.  Dar Williams sings a song called "Oh Canada Girls"  where the lyrics about my fair country go " Where we left so much land to itself/That everyone had her own mountain" and I think about that a lot.  There's just so much space here.  The vastness... gosh... it takes my breath away all the time and I live here.  I've seen a herd of a couple hundred wild elks in the mountains of Banff National Park, and it brought a tear to my eye.  Such beautiful animals, living the lives they should.  If I could choose the way my future meat lived, I'd choose that life for sure.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on January 28, 2011, 06:29:35 pm
Leaving aside the stuff we all know is incredibly wrong in that thing...

Let's talk about Texas and their pig problem. I hear about this all the time, feral pigs are creating all sorts of shitty agricultural problems and they also tend to push other wildlife out as they move through an area.

Texas doesn't have much for public land. For example, if I want to chase pig in California there's about 9 jillion public land spots I can access just in Fresno and Ventura counties. Not the same kind of situation in Texas where public land is much scarcer. The great proportion of private land access is through annual leases which have been going on an upward trend for a decade now. The end result is, the 'free' reduction of what is now a plague animal through public hunting is depressed by the high land access cost. An addendum to the land/lease issue that depresses game pressure is landowner liability and an unwillingness on the part of many to assume possible liability for people to engage in an activity that intrinsically carries some not insignificant risks to person and property.

It'll be interesting to see how the Southern and Mid-Western states now affected will manage this animal as it expands its range and reaches past nuisance status in more and more areas. As far as Texas, I'm in a "you want your private property, you bear the freight of managing your nuisance animal population."

BTW, feral or wild pig is delicious, much leaner and denser so you gotta watch your cooking style. I had to back out of a get together this April over at this place (http://www.wildernesshuntinglodge.com/index.html) in Tennessee due to conflicts, dang it. I'm gonna book out to Ft. Hunter-Liggett (http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/giraffehunt/hunting.asp) instead.

So what you're saying is that Texas has a pig problem because they don't have enough publicly owned land socialism?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on January 28, 2011, 06:37:01 pm
Quiet down you shit-stirrer,


Heh heh.  Busted.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 28, 2011, 06:48:20 pm
I'd love to kill a feral pig.  I don't have the proper equipment for such a task.  I doubt my single shot 20 ga. is sufficient.  Maybe I could borrow a rifle from my uncle. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on January 28, 2011, 08:06:14 pm
I'd love to kill a feral pig.  I don't have the proper equipment for such a task.  I doubt my single shot 20 ga. is sufficient.  Maybe I could borrow a rifle from my uncle. 

In keeping with the writer of your feral-pig post, you should get one of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Browning_machine_gun). 20 gauge? What are you, some kinda commie?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 28, 2011, 10:07:27 pm
Oh hell yes.  Shoot them pigs, cook 'em and eat 'em.  Even I would get into hunting if I had wild pigs readily available.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: lprkn on January 28, 2011, 11:04:19 pm
In keeping with the writer of your feral-pig post, you should get one of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Browning_machine_gun). 20 gauge? What are you, some kinda commie?

That is basically the perfect heavy machine gun. I'm pretty sure it has the longest continuous service life of any weapon in the US arsenal (besides the Marines' non-commissioned officers' sword, that is). It's a big bastard, but it is also a lot of fun to shoot.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 28, 2011, 11:19:45 pm
In keeping with the writer of your feral-pig post, you should get one of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Browning_machine_gun). 20 gauge? What are you, some kinda commie?

Hah...  When I wrote that I forgot we were talking about shit my uncle says.  I was actually talking about a different uncle.  The uncle that sends out the silly emails (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3069145378/) is a duck hunter so he's probably got the gun for the job.  But the other uncle (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2556905858/) has hundreds of guns.  Most were given to him by the manufacturer to review.  The one's he liked he kept. He used to be a sports writer you see, mostly wrote for Guns & Ammo, but he's now retired.  He's hunted all over the world.  He's also written several books (http://www.amazon.com/John-Wootters/e/B001K874XM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1).  Of course he's a right winger too, but he doesn't send out silly emails.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 29, 2011, 12:08:24 am
Quiet down you shit-stirrer, I clearly put in on the property owners to manage their game issues.
It's the tragedy of the privates.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on January 29, 2011, 12:22:40 am
Send in BobbyI, wallpaper the fuck*ng state in bacon.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on January 29, 2011, 12:47:01 am
That is basically the perfect heavy machine gun. I'm pretty sure it has the longest continuous service life of any weapon in the US arsenal (besides the Marines' non-commissioned officers' sword, that is). It's a big bastard, but it is also a lot of fun to shoot.

I suspect that gun might leave the pigs mostly cooked, as well.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on January 29, 2011, 01:20:03 am
(http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1898/952failownedmeatoriginf.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on January 29, 2011, 05:48:16 am
Well, that's true in the sense that typically the animal is already dead by the time a store will do any processing.

Shame on you, AW. You know that religious freedom only applies to Mormons and Scientologists.

We're still smarting from having to give up our extra wives to gain statehood.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 29, 2011, 07:03:32 am
"Two More Senators, Three Less Wives" would be a hard sell, yeah.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 03, 2011, 08:23:51 pm
This one's a doozy.  I almost didn't post it because it's so blatantly racist.

Quote
..........................why Arizona did the right thing!!

It's easy to dismiss individual programs that

benefit non-citizens until they're put together and this picture emerges. Someone did a lot of research to put together all of this data. Often these programs are buried within other programs making them difficult to find.

A Real Eye Opener ... WHY is the USA BANKRUPT?

Informative, and mind boggling!

You think the war in Iraq   was costing us too much?  Read this:

We have been hammered with the propaganda that it was the Iraq  war and the war on terror that is bankrupting us. I now find that to be RIDICULOUS. I hope the following 14 reasons are forwarded over and over again until they are read so many times that the reader gets sick of reading them. I also have included the URL's for verification of all the following  facts...

1. $11 Billion to $22 billion is spent on welfare to illegal aliens each year by state governments.

Verify at: http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServer?pagename=iic_immigrationissuecenters7fd8 <http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServer?pagename=iic_immigrationissuecenters7fd8>

2. $22 Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance programs such as food stamps, WIC, and free school lunches for illegal aliens.

Verify at: http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.HTML <http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.HTML>

3. $2.5 Billion dollars a year is spent on Medicaid for illegal aliens.

Verify at: http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.HTML <http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.HTML>

4. $12 Billion dollars a year is spent on primary and secondary school education for children here illegally and they cannot speak a word of English!

Verify at: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt..0.HTML <http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt..0.HTML>

5. $17 Billion dollars a year is spent for education for the American-born children of illegal aliens, known as anchor babies.

Verify at http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML <http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML>

6. $3 Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens.

Verify at: http://transcripts.cnn.com/%20TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML <http://transcripts.cnn.com/%20TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML>

http://transcripts.cnn.com/%20TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML <http://transcripts.cnn.com/%20TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML><http://transcripts.cnn.com/%20TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML <http://transcripts.cnn.com/%20TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML> >

7. 30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal aliens.

Verify at: http://transcripts.CNN.com/TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML <http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML>
<http://transcripts/ <http://transcripts/> .." href="http://cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML%3E" target=_blank>cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML%3E <" href="http://cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML%3E" target=_blank>;; " href="http://cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML%3E" target=_blank> " href="http://cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML%3E" target=_blank>

8." href="http://cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML%3E" target=_blank> 
$90 Billion Dollars a year is spent on illegal aliens for Welfare & social services by the American taxpayers.

Verify at: http://premium.cnn.com/TRANSCIPTS/0610/29/ldt.01.HTML <http://premium.cnn.com/TRANSCIPTS/0610/29/ldt.01.HTML>

9. $200 Billion dollars a year in suppressed American wages are caused by the illegal aliens.

Verify at: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSC RI  PTS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML <http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSC%20RI%20PTS/0604/01/ldt.01.HTML>

10. The illegal aliens in the United States have a crime rate that's two and a half times that of white non-illegal aliens. In particular, their children are going to make a huge additional crime problem in the U.S.

Verify at: http://transcripts.cnn..com/TRANscriptS/0606/12/ldt..01.HTML <http://transcripts.cnn..com/TRANscriptS/0606/12/ldt..01.HTML>

;Â " href="http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0606/12/ldt..01.HTML%3E;%C2%A0" target=_blank>

11.;Â " href="http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANscriptS/0606/12/ldt..01.HTML%3E;%C2%A0" target=_blank> 
During the year of 2005, there were 4 to 10 MILLION illegal aliens that crossed our Southern Border, also, as many as 19,500 illegal aliens from Terrorist Countries. Millions of pounds of drugs, cocaine, meth, heroin and marijuana, crossed into the US   from the Southern border.

Verify at: Homeland Security  Report:

12. The National policy Institute estimated that the total cost of mass deportation would be between $206 and $230 billion or an average cost of between $41 and $46 billion annually over a five year period.

Verify at: http://www.nationalpolicyinstitute..org/PDF/deportation.PDF <http://www.nationalpolicyinstitute..org/PDF/deportationPDF>

13. In 2006, illegal aliens sent home $45 BILLION in remittances to their countries of origin.

Verify at: http://www/. <http://www/..rense.com/general75/niht.htm>  rense.com/general75/niht.htm <http://www/..rense.com/general75/niht.htm> ;Â " href="http://www.rense.com/general75/niht.htm%3E;%C2%A0" target=_blank>

14.;Â " href="http://www.rense.com/general75/niht.htm%3E;%C2%A0" target=_blank> 
The Dark Side of Illegal Immigration: Nearly One million sex crimes committed by Illegal Immigrants In The United States .

Verify at:  http: // www.drdsk.com/articleshtml <http://www.drdsk.com/articleshtml> 
<;Ã, " href="http://www.drdsk.com/articleshtml%3E;%C3%82%C2%A0" target=_blank>%;Ã, " href="http://www.drdsk.com/articleshtml%3E;%C3%82%C2%A0" target=_blank> 20w.drdsk.com/articleshtml
" href="http://20w.drdsk.com/articleshtml%3E" target=_blank>

The total cost is a whopping " href="http://20w.drdsk.com/articleshtml%3E" target=_blank>
$ 338.3 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR AND IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, HAVING TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING THIS AMOUNT OF MONEY; IT IS $338,300,000,000.00 WHICH WOULD BE ENOUGH TO STIMULATE THE ECONOMY FOR THE CITIZENS OF THIS COUNTRY.  Are  we THAT Stupid? YES, FOR LETTING THOSE IN THE U.S. CONGRESS GET AWAY WITH LETTING THIS HAPPEN YEAR AFTER YEAR!!!!!

If this doesn't bother you, then just delete the message.  If, on the other hand, it does raise the hair on the back of your neck, I hope you forward it to every legal resident in the United States .
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 03, 2011, 11:51:18 pm
American-born children of illegal immigrants, also known as fuck*ng AMERICAN CITIZENS.

I did like how it implied that that 338billion should be spent by the government to stimulate the economy.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 04, 2011, 01:09:00 am
I wonder what the breakdown is in percentage per capita of taxes going into the system from illegals vs. benefits coming out of the system for illegals (leaving the issue of their children alone for, as you say, we call those people citizens).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on February 04, 2011, 01:41:19 am
Surely including that 200 billion in 'suppressed wages' is incorrect. I think what he's trying to say is that they are saving small business owners 200 billion a year. Which means America is benefitting to the tune of something like 62 Billion dollars.

Also, this site (http://costofwar.com/en/) tells me the war in Iraq is currently running at about 700 trillion so.... yeah. Going to say that's still one of the main reasons the US is 'bankrupt'.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on February 04, 2011, 01:45:53 am
Quote
If this doesn't bother you, then just delete the message.  If, on the other hand, it does raise the hair on the back of your neck, I hope you forward it to every legal resident in the United States .

Also, Paul, you're totally busted for letting me read this. I'm going to get the word out now to all my non-US citizen friends, we know you're onto us and shit is going to get real.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on February 04, 2011, 02:39:40 am
I think the next person who uses the term "anchor baby" in front of me is going to find his neck firmly anchored to the floor by the heel of my boot.

I think that is about the third-worst ethnic slur I've ever heard, right behind the "n" word and the "k" word. And yet you hear it on the five o'clock news without comment. At least most other ethnic slurs, as horrifyingly racist as they are, aren't usually specifically directed at children.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 04, 2011, 04:19:29 am
Quote from: some absolute shitcock
If this doesn't bother you, then just delete the message.  If, on the other hand, it does raise the hair on the back of your neck, I hope you forward it to every legal resident in the United States .

I have a better way to play it:

If this doesn't bother me, then I will work to contravene everything you believe in and stand for, with all the resources I can afford to bring into play.

I was going to address the second sentence, but I realized that it was too fuck*ng blindingly stupid and I couldn't do it justice. Jesus fuck.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on February 04, 2011, 04:58:23 am
Also, this site (http://costofwar.com/en/) tells me the war in Iraq is currently running at about 700 trillion so.... yeah. Going to say that's still one of the main reasons the US is 'bankrupt'.

Is this one of those things where you guys say large numbers differently? I'm reading that as 700 billion. The US national debt is "only" 14 trillion dollars. I tried to imagine 700 trillion dollars and my brain is now bleeding.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on February 04, 2011, 01:15:09 pm
Ah, yeah. Thousand, million, billion, trillion.
At least, I hope that's how we do it around here, that's how I do it anyway. You'd be surprised how infrequently billion vs. trillion comes up.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 04, 2011, 06:17:52 pm
You'd be surprised how infrequently billion vs. trillion comes up.

When you're discussing how fucked up the US economy is, it comes up rather a lot.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on February 04, 2011, 09:42:44 pm
I think the next person who uses the term "anchor baby" in front of me is going to find his neck firmly anchored to the floor by the heel of my boot.

I think that is about the third-worst ethnic slur I've ever heard, right behind the "n" word and the "k" word. And yet you hear it on the five o'clock news without comment. At least most other ethnic slurs, as horrifyingly racist as they are, aren't usually specifically directed at children.

My childhood nickname featured the k word. I don't think anybody was aware it was a slur.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 05, 2011, 01:20:58 am
I think the next person who uses the term "anchor baby" in front of me is going to find his neck firmly anchored to the floor by the heel of my boot.

Wow.  Never heard that term until you posted it here.  Pretty disgusting.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2011, 11:16:14 pm
It's funny because they want to see Obama assassinated.

Quote
Obama is in his White House bed

 One night, Obama is tossing restlessly in his White House bed. He awakens to see George Washington standing by him. Barak asks him, "George, what's the best thing I can do to help the country?"

"Set an honest and honorable example, just as I did," Washington advises, then fades away.

The next night, Obama is astir again, and sees the ghost of Thomas Jefferson moving through the darkened bedroom.Obama calls out, "Tom, please! What is the best thing I could do to help the country?"

"Respect the Constitution, like I did," Jefferson advises, and dims from sight.

Barak isn't sleeping well the third night when he sees another figure moving in the shadows. It is Abraham Lincoln's ghost. "Abe, what is the best thing I can do right now, to help the country?" Obama pleads.

Abe replies: "Go see a play".
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on February 08, 2011, 12:02:09 am
I haven't watched it yet, but apparently he handled the "do you know everyone hates you how does that make you feel" question from O'Reilly pretty well? And Bush is all "A BLOO BLA BLOO BLOO Kanye hurt my feelings!"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2011, 12:46:38 am
I haven't watched it yet, but apparently he handled the "do you know everyone hates you how does that make you feel" question from O'Reilly pretty well?

Yeah, Obama laughed right in his face a couple of times. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 08, 2011, 03:24:14 am
"Pistachios are the best peanut."
"what?"
"pistachios are my favorite kind of peanut."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2011, 04:21:14 pm
Well I've been wanting to include some of his jokey/sentimental emails to show that he's not always a rabid crazy go nuts right winger, so put that one in that category if you prefer.

However, given his track record of bile filled emails including ones that have more directly wished for the death of the President, I would say that I'm not too far off the mark with my comment.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 09, 2011, 01:01:00 am
Today, I accidentally "retweeted" a thing this douche I know posted about Egypt news making him bored.

I meant to respond with a mean joke about how everyone we know tweeting about world news  is more interesting than him tweeting, all day everyday, about skinny jeans and being hungover.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 09, 2011, 02:25:25 am
So without comment it comes off sounding like you like his post.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 09, 2011, 03:34:49 am
yes. I then tweeted something that made me seem like a grandma. "OH NO HOW DO I UNDO THAT IS NOT WHAT I MEANT TO DO."

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 09, 2011, 03:36:06 am
You get a pity can of DP for the embarrassment.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 09, 2011, 03:07:45 pm
I would love that. What I don't love is him complaining about "white people" caring about Egypt, as if he is superior for only caring about how hungover he is. (and being brown.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on February 09, 2011, 06:12:29 pm
I would love that. What I don't love is him complaining about "white people" caring about Egypt, as if he is superior for only caring about how hungover he is. (and being brown.)

Sounds like a guy on FB who bitches at me every time I talk about gay marriage. He thinks only people who are gay and/or married are allowed to have an opinion on that topic.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 14, 2011, 11:32:10 am
It's a joke.
Quote
A friend of mine just started his own business.
He is making landmines that look like prayer rugs.
It's doing well.
He says Prophets are going through the roof.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on February 14, 2011, 02:33:25 pm
That one's kind of funny, but I'm a sucker for a pun.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 16, 2011, 01:50:59 am
This one came to me in email form, but it's the same exact text and pictures as this page (http://www.letalouise.com/captain-judith-campbell-and-crew/).

Are people actually still shocked and or surprised to see women in positions of authority or was that just for effect to drive the cockpit/box office joke home?

I guess the only thing offensive about this one other than the sexism is the fact that it's probably made up.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 16, 2011, 02:03:39 am
And here's one of the funny one's I've been promising.

Quote
A cowboy, who just moved to Wyoming from Texas, walks into a bar and orders three mugs of draught beer. He sits in the back of the room, drinking a sip out of each one in turn. When he finishes them, he comes back to the bar and orders three more.  The bartender approaches and tells the cowboy, 'You know, a mug goes  flat after I draw it.  It would taste better if you bought one at a  time.' The cowboy replies, 'Well, you see, I have two brothers. One is in Arizona , the other is in Colorado .. When we all left our home in  Texas , we promised that we'd drink this way to remember the days when  we drank together. So I'm drinking one beer for each of my brothers and  one for myself.'  The bartender admits that this is a nice custom, and leaves it there.

The cowboy becomes a regular in the bar, and always drinks the same way. He orders three mugs and drinks them in turn. One day, he comes in and only orders two mugs.  All the regulars take notice and fall silent. When he comes back to the bar for the second round, the bartender says, 'I don't want to intrude on your grief, but I  wanted to offer my condolences on your loss.' The cowboy looks quite puzzled for a moment, then a light dawns in his eyes and he laughs. 'Oh, no, everybody's just fine, ' he explains, 'It's just that my wife and I joined the Baptist Church and I had to quit drinking.' 'Hasn't affected my brothers though."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on February 16, 2011, 02:37:15 am
Quote from: Paul's Link
Whatever you give a women, she will make greater. If you give her sperm, she’ll give you a baby. If you give her a house, she’ll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she’ll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she’ll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of s**t!

Okay, now *that* is funny.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 16, 2011, 08:35:45 pm
Oooooh, you just killed Beethoven!

So what is he saying here, that the right wingers were too hard on Bill Clinton?

Quote
2 TOUGH QUESTIONS.... INTERESTING
 
 
Question 1:
If you knew a woman who was pregnant, who had 8 kids already, three who were deaf, two who were blind, one mentally retarded, and she had syphilis, would you recommend that she have an abortion?

Read the next question before looking at the response for this one.

Question 2:
It is time to elect a new world leader, and only your vote counts. Here are the facts about the three candidates.
 
Candidate A:
Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologists. He's had two mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 Martinis a day.

Candidate B:
He was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in college and drinks a quart of whisky every evening.

Candidate C:
He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks an occasional beer and never committed adultery.

Which of these candidates would be our choice?

Decide first... No peeking, and then scroll down for the response.

 
Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Candidate B is Winston Churchill.
Candidate C is Adolf Hitler.
 
And, by the way, on your answer to the abortion question:  If you said YES, you just killed Beethoven.
 
Pretty interesting isn't it?
Makes a person think before judging someone.

Remember:

Amateurs ... Built the ark.
Professionals ... Built the Titanic
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 17, 2011, 07:05:43 am
Damn, I had no idea Winston Churchill and I had so much in common.  I would have chosen him.

Also, Tea Baggers don't know the whole Hitler was a vegetarian against smoking thing?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on February 17, 2011, 07:24:53 am
Candidate A:
Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologists. He's had two mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 Martinis a day.

...

Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt.

So my first thought after reading Candidate A's description was "huh, I didn't know Reagan was a chain smoker." I guess it's just the whole astrology connection.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on February 17, 2011, 08:16:16 am
I think it's a thing that in wartime who you want in office is the exact opposite of who you want the rest of the time.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 17, 2011, 07:20:02 pm
Shit my ash says.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on February 17, 2011, 08:21:51 pm
Good line, buddy!

Will it help explain if I added that Clinton had it as well but neither of the Bush clan or Carter had it?

BTW, Obama...pending. But I don't like the trend signs.

Hmm.  Fair enough. 

I'd say that both Nixon and Johnson had it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on February 17, 2011, 08:55:18 pm
I doubt it.  They had very different styles -- Ike's lent itself much more to the presidency.

Grant was a man of action.  His strength as a general was that he understood that he had to destroy the other side's army in order to win the war.

Ike was a supreme administrator and master of logistics.  He was diplomatic enough to manage both Montgomery and Patton at the same time.  Those are the skills that made him an effective president. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 18, 2011, 01:59:23 am
I would totally vote for either Ash or Aug for president.

and not just because I hope you'd give me a job.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2011, 07:16:03 pm
Since the last few I've posted have been pretty tame and/or funny here's one that is blatantly racist.

Quote
This morning I went to sign my dogs up for welfare.  At first the lady said, "Dogs are not eligible to draw welfare." So I explained to her that my dogs are mixed in color, unemployed, lazy, can't speak English and have no clue who their Daddys are. 

They expect me to feed them, provide them with housing and medical care.

So she looked in her policy book to see what it takes to qualify.

My dogs get their first checks Fridayl

Isn't this is a great country?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 20, 2011, 08:49:07 pm
(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2707/4291874710_7804e168ba_b.jpg)
Apparently this boy was the son of someone meeting with Pres. Obama, and he wondered if their hair felt the same.



Paul, I have had multiple people on food stamps complain that their dog food is not covered by food stamps. Did not think the nicest things when that happened.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 20, 2011, 09:04:06 pm
The one thing that bothers me when people panhandle is when they are wearing complicated makeup.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on February 20, 2011, 09:10:55 pm
Shit my uncle said yesterday:

Asians (yes, Asians) developed high fructose corn syrup to kill us.

I wasn't even bugged about the whole conspiracy theory thing. I love that shit, nothing is more entertaining than that shit. But seriously, Asians? At least be specific dude. It's safe to assume he's thinking of East Asia, but maybe he doesn't know that there are many different countries in that region, many of which would never collaborate, not even to kill Americans. Or would they...

THE WORLD IS AGAINST US

Edit: maybe he got it from this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysine_price-fixing_conspiracy Never mind totally thinking of something else
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on February 20, 2011, 10:24:52 pm
I was going to say I was pretty sure that no Asians were to blame for HFCS but I couldn't find the book I read about it in. Silly me, I forgot about the Internet. OK, there are some Japanese involved at some point, but they don't see to be the main culprits, really.

Quote
HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP
"In 1967 new Japanese enzyme technology brought about a revolution in corn syrup development. High fructose corn syrup was made by a more complete hydrolysis of glucose to fructose. IsoSweet, a high fructose corn syrup developed by [A.E. Staley Manufacturing Company], was approximately 92 percent as sweet as sugar."
---Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, Andrew F. Smith editor, [Oxford University Press:New York] 2004, Volume 1 (p. 346)

"...the premium is high-fructose corn syrup, first commercialized in 1967 by the Clinton Corn Processing Co. of Clinton, Iowa, which patented Isomerose (named for the enzyme xylose isomerase, which converts glucose to fructose). By 1972, the company had increased the sweetness from 14 to 42 percent fructose, to make it equivalent to ordinary sugar. As sugar prices rose, food and beverage industrialists began to replace more and more sucrose with "Isosweet." Within four years, production of the supersweet syrup jumped from two hundred thousand to two and a half billion pounds a year, and within the decade it had become a major component of all major soft drinks. Today, HFCS can be made 25 percent sweeter than sugar...and in crystalline form is an important rival to saccharin in the sugar-substitute industry."
---The Story of Corn (p. 273-274)
http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcandy.html#hfcs (http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcandy.html#hfcs)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on February 20, 2011, 11:40:57 pm
I'm sure the Japanese were super eager to make money off of all those corn fields they have.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 21, 2011, 12:57:55 am
now they call it corn sugar.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on February 21, 2011, 01:04:55 am
I'm sure the Japanese were super eager to make money off of all those corn fields they have.

I know, right?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on February 21, 2011, 02:48:19 am
It was invented by a joint venture of three Asian companies: the Calgirr Company, Alchel Daniers Midland and Mon San To.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 21, 2011, 03:58:14 am
It was invented by a joint venture of three Asian companies: the Calgirr Company, Alchel Daniers Midland and Mon San To.
I'm a little surprised by this.

And wouldn't it be Midrand?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 21, 2011, 05:23:19 am
And wouldn't it be Midrand?

exactry.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on February 21, 2011, 05:38:50 am
So all this time it's actually been Corn Sylup?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 21, 2011, 02:22:34 pm
Velly sullearist.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on February 21, 2011, 02:33:31 pm
I'm a little surprised by this.


Just trying to think like a corporate bigwig.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 21, 2011, 02:44:11 pm
So all this time it's actually been Corn Sylup?

Well, Coln Sylup.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 04, 2011, 06:35:11 pm
Of course he actually attached a power point slideshow to the email.  Hey, I just got an email from 1998.  Hilarious.  I normally don't open these because they are always the same over processed photos that are supposed to make you go Wow! accompanied by some treacly message.  But this one intrigued me because of the title 'Digital Editing.' and the remark in the email that "This is something we all need to learn to do!" 

So anyway, it looks like they have brought the powerpoint experience (http://www.scribd.com/doc/3209176/Digital-Editing) to the internet for the digitally challenged.  Awesome!

I only bring this to your attention because I got fooled.  As I was watching the slideshow I started formulating my reply.  I almost never reply to these bs emails, but I wanted to comment on the "something we need to learn remark."  Dude, I KNOW how to do this, I was gonna brag to my uncle.  Maybe even link him to some of my work.

Then I got to the last couple of slides.  WTF, all of that was just a set up for a lame ass Hillary Clinton joke? *heavy sigh*
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 04, 2011, 07:55:02 pm
When I searched for that slideshow I found several versions.  All the same except the last two panels were changed.  I saw at least 2 with George Bush before I found the one with Hillary Clinton. 

I don't think I need to reinvent that wheel.  Wait, were you talking about something else?  Did something specific happen in '02?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 04, 2011, 08:33:58 pm
There were three goats, you know.  The first one was Goat A.  The second one was Goat B. 

Ash is talking about that third goat.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 04, 2011, 08:41:47 pm
SEND THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS

WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO SMILE

Sounds like left-wing, commie bullshit to me.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on March 04, 2011, 08:41:57 pm
they're talking about a goat, see?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 04, 2011, 09:21:08 pm
(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/5083300168_beb813af01.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 04, 2011, 09:23:42 pm
Looking back on how Paul and Wombat's dog have both become memes, I'm actually shocked that Paul's "GOOD LORD" pic didn't catch on.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on March 04, 2011, 10:10:00 pm
at first i misread that. "Paul and Wombat have a dog? how is that-- oooohhhhhhh"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 05, 2011, 02:45:12 pm
Indeed, this world needs more goatse references (but not actual links to it).
Here is an amusing conversation Bobby and I had a few years ago. (http://www.bigfool.com/foolblog/archive/2008_01.htm#001006)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 08, 2011, 06:37:03 am
I wonder if the guy with goatse tattooed on his chest got it done at Dago's.

I saw an Enquirer this evening at the grocery store, and the cover had a blurb about Obama being pissed about not being invited to the royal wedding. This is funny to me because all the shit that used to go in that paper is now on the internet for free - how does their business model work? Or is it the other way around, and they know anyone who would read them can't use a computer, so they can just take all the "shit my ________ says" and just paste it up and send it off to the printer?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 08, 2011, 06:53:24 am
If you gotta have a fuck*ng goatse tattoo, you gotta have it over your navel.

It's a law.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on March 08, 2011, 10:28:56 am
What if you had it on the insides of your buttocks so you had to pull them apart to make it fully visible? Add a level of recursion there.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 08, 2011, 06:20:37 pm
The navel as asshole tattoo is played out. It's tired. The armpit as lady-bits is pretty tired, too.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 08, 2011, 06:43:43 pm
What if you got it on your face?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 08, 2011, 07:19:05 pm
It wouldn't look any good unless you walked around with your mouth wide open all the time.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 11, 2011, 09:21:36 pm
These are starting to get redundant so I'm probably gonna stop posting them unless something really juicy comes along.

Quote
Welcome to the 21st Century:

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land."

Nearly 75 years ago, (when welfare was introduced) Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land."

Today, the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

I was so depressed last night thinking about Health Care Plans, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, savings, Social Security, retirement funds, and everything...

I called a Suicide Hotline.  I had to press 1 for English.

I was connected to a call center...in Pakistan.  I told them I was suicidal. They got excited and asked if I could drive a truck!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 11, 2011, 09:27:55 pm
In soviet Canada, phone line is answered by Canadian.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 11, 2011, 10:14:10 pm
That call center jab is right on actually.  I had to call the help line of the server for a clients website and the dude was Indian/Pakatanian and I think he was speaking English, but I couldn't understand a word of it.  I finally had to hang up in frustration because I couldn't understand what he was saying.  From the few words I could make out I'm pretty sure he wasn't understanding me either.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on March 12, 2011, 02:04:31 pm
Quote from: crazy email
Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land."

Nearly 75 years ago, (when welfare was introduced) Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land."

Today, the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

Terrible. Not even funny.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 13, 2011, 02:06:51 am
That call center jab is right on actually.  I had to call the help line of the server for a clients website and the dude was Indian/Pakatanian and I think he was speaking English, but I couldn't understand a word of it.  I finally had to hang up in frustration because I couldn't understand what he was saying.  From the few words I could make out I'm pretty sure he wasn't understanding me either.

Winnipeg used to be North America's main home of call centres.   I know I mentioned it before here, but they used to tell us to be evasive and say we were located "North of Minneapolis" if asked and to not correct people when they said they were glad to be speaking to an American.  It was the easiest job to get back in the day.  Get minimum wage to sit at a desk surfing web comics while high?  Sure, why not.  The AT&T/Fed Ex call centre is where I met my husband, and I worked for a Publisher's Clearing House/Skoal/Krispy Kreme call centre briefly, as well as a Mastercard one.  The AT&T/Fed Ex call centre was the size of four football fields when I worked there.  All those call centres slowly trained their replacement centres in the Philippines or India and the local ones have since closed.  I remember my friend who was a manager for Fed-ex's call centre got to go to the Philippines to teach the workers there about American intonation and sarcasm.  It's actually pretty hard to discern if someone is being disingenuous in tone when the language their speaking isn't your mother tongue.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2011, 02:32:47 am
a Publisher's Clearing House/Skoal/Krispy Kreme call centre

Do you mean every time you answered the phone it might be any one of the three? That would be kind of mind bending.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 13, 2011, 02:42:52 am
Actually, it was for more than the three - there was actually about six or seven companies, I just can't recall the rest.  One was a dairy company, another was a contact lens recall refund line.  The multiple companies is what made it particularly stressful.  There was computer system that would tell you who the caller was calling for and would bring up the appropriate screen for whatever company the caller was calling for.  It was pretty horrible.  I basically quit one day after training. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: lprkn on March 13, 2011, 03:51:54 am
I'm just trying to figure out why anybody would need to call a Krispy Kreme or Skoal help line.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 13, 2011, 04:05:07 am
The two main reasons people called the Krispy Kreme line was:  1) mostly to rave about how good the donuts were and 2) to ask about how to get a Krispy Kreme wedding cake.  The people who wanted the cakes were typically apologetic and shameful, which was a nice touch.

The two main reasons people called the Skoal line was 1) because they were 18 or older and had read the add about calling for a free sample of Skoal Berry Blend and 2) because they were under 18 and had read about calling for a free sample of Skoal Berry Blend.  I had to disappoint a handful of not-so-smart underage kids that first day, and it helped me make the decision to quit all the faster. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 17, 2011, 05:12:53 pm
Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land."

Nearly 75 years ago, (when welfare was introduced) Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land."

Today, the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

Terrible. Not even funny.

Also ridiculously old.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 19, 2011, 04:23:43 pm
my grandfather sent me a link to this pleasant sounding, meaningless BS (http://skepticblog.org/2011/03/15/egypt-watson-and-the-future-of-civilization/?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d84c555f3a41d8a%2C0) and then sent me an email making sure I got the facebook link. Having a really hard time not being a little shit about it, because I am hungover and grumpy about needing to go to work.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 19, 2011, 06:25:17 pm
I work at a call center with about 1000 other 'mericans. A subset of calls are handled in India, but my employer will supposedly end the contract with that call center this year.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 21, 2011, 05:51:26 pm
this guy said he wasn't buying meat or beef for a while because he is afraid of the cows eating grass that has radiation on it, from Japan.

I almost said "it's really cute that you think cows eat grass" but I restrained myself.

also yesterday I told a coworker "you need to chill the FUCK out" but I don't think he heard me. Probably good?
He was losing his shit about a customer making a reasonable request, in front of the customer. It was extremely ridiculous. Then he demanded to be transferred to a different department, as if he doesn't have a primo job.
Man, 60-something white dudes who work at grocery stores suck a lot. They all act like they are owed something for being old and having a shitty job.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2011, 07:06:17 pm
Man, 60-something white dudes who work at grocery stores suck a lot. They all act like they are owed something for being old and having a shitty job.

We bought a jigsaw at Home Depot last time I was home and holy crap was that old geezer pissed of. Same deal. I'm all for being shitty about the job, but not in front of the customer.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2011, 05:54:26 am
Okay, this one was short and sweet.

Quote
Solution to the problem in Libya:  They want a new Muslim leader.  I say, give them ours.
         
Solves 2 problems.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 25, 2011, 01:26:29 pm
Well, it's somewhat witty and not seventeen pages long, so there's that.

Did you get it from Donald Trump?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 25, 2011, 01:52:03 pm
Apparently our "Muslim" president is furthering the international Muslim conspiracy by not only continuing to bomb the shit out of the same Muslim countries that Bush did, but also by bombing entirely new Muslim countries!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 25, 2011, 04:03:27 pm
Apparently our "Muslim" president is furthering the international Muslim conspiracy by not only continuing to bomb the shit out of the same Muslim countries that Bush did, but also by bombing entirely new Muslim countries!

"You're doing it wrong!"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 02, 2011, 12:21:38 pm
Okay, that was pretty funny.  It was probably aided by the fact that I was expecting it to turn political so the punchline was a real surprise, but still..

Quote
A guy is driving around the back woods of Montana and he sees a sign in front of a broken down shanty-style house:  'Talking Dog For Sale '  He rings the bell and the owner appears and tells him the dog is in the backyard.

The guy goes into the backyard and sees a nice looking Labrador retriever sitting there. 'You talk?' he asks. 'Yep,' the Lab replies. After the guy recovers from the shock of hearing a dog talk, he says 'So, what's your story?' The Lab looks up and says, 'Well, I discovered that I could talk when I was pretty young. I wanted to help the government, so I told the CIA. In no time at all they had me jetting from country to country, sitting in rooms with spies and world leaders, because no one figured a dog would be eavesdropping.' 'I was one of their most valuable spies for eight years running. But the jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger so I decided to settle down.. I signed up for a job at the airport to do some undercover security, wandering near suspicious characters and listening in. I uncovered some incredible dealings and was awarded a batch of medals.' 'I got married, had a mess of puppies, and now I'm just retired..'

The guy is amazed. He goes back in and asks the owner what he wants for the dog. 'Ten dollars,' the guy says. 'Ten dollars?  This dog is amazing! Why on earth are you selling him so cheap?' 'Because he's a liar. He never did any of that shit.'
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 02, 2011, 04:41:53 pm
That is pretty good.  Here's a similar one I heard.

A ventriloquist is driving to his next gig when his car breaks down.  He walks to a nearby farmhouse, and uses their phone to call for a tow.  While he's waiting, he asks the farmer if he can have a look around the farm.  The farmer says sure, and gives him the tour.

When they get to the stable, the ventriloquist decides to have some fun with the farmer.  "How you hosss doin'?  How's life here?"
"Oh, not bad," they say.  "We get enough to eat, and don't have to work too hard.  It gets cold in here at night, though.  We could use some more blankets."
The farmer looks surprised, because his hosss have never talked before, but he doesn't say anything.  They walk to the pig pen next, and the ventriloquist says "Hey pigs, how's life here on the farm?"
"Pretty good," say the pigs.  "We could always use more slop, though."
The farmer looks even more bewildered.  Next they approach the sheep pasture.  And the farmer says, "Now, just so you know, them sheep are liars."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 15, 2011, 09:30:17 pm
My coworker told me that the reason I can't find a job doing any of the things i want to do is because Obama wants to hurt the economy, not start programs that will help it.

Kind of funny to think that there is someone who thinks Democrats are against huge, expensive economic programs that benefit inner cities and minorities.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 16, 2011, 02:52:58 pm
I first saw that Colt ad in this Cracked bit (http://www.cracked.com/article_18928_the-12-most-unintentionally-disturbing-christmas-ads.html). You might find some stuff in here entertaining.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 17, 2011, 12:13:40 am
That last one...I kinda hope it's not a real ad, y'know?


Having done extensive research in archives of popular magazines from the 1930s, 40s, and 50s, I can assure you that even if that last one isn't real, there are plenty of real ones out there just like it and much, much worse.

You know you picked the right field when you come home from a long day at the library riled up and pissed off.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2011, 05:57:33 am
today, my mom had a really good idea. I should probably look for anthropologists who are looking for assistants. I had never had that idea! What a great idea.

man, sarcasm is so low-down and mean and unproductive. It just get frustrating to be given the same bad advice again and again and again.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 18, 2011, 06:04:22 am
Maybe you could start your own anthropological firm. Hang a shingle.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2011, 12:49:55 pm
today, my mom had a really good idea. I should probably look for anthropologists who are looking for assistants. I had never had that idea! What a great idea.

And then you could work your way up to being a professor!

(When I was working as a research assistant and told my mom I was applying to graduate school she actually asked why I couldn't do that. But she never went to college, she had an excuse to be ignorant of that sort of detail.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 18, 2011, 03:56:25 pm
The nerve of some people.


For some reason I feel like this is aimed at you, inev.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 19, 2011, 04:24:15 am
she also told my younger brother that I turned down a job I was offered. I can't figure out where she could have gotten that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 19, 2011, 10:28:47 am
parents just dont understand.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 19, 2011, 03:55:53 pm
yesterday a lady called my coworker a "motherfuck*ng faggot" and I had this unbelievable urge to go off on her. She said this, walked away from him, and was going on and on about how he "thought he was more of a woman than me." No fuck*ng idea what that meant.

later everyone was asking him why he didn't call a manager over to have her ejected from the store. It is funny how grown-ups have ways of handling conflict other than the only options I see when in that situation:
1. tell this woman that she is human garbage, get the fuck out of this store you seeping cunt.
2. say nothing and feel like a coward.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 19, 2011, 04:46:30 pm
later everyone was asking him why he didn't call a manager over to have her ejected from the store. It is funny how grown-ups have ways of handling conflict other than the only options I see when in that situation:
1. tell this woman that she is human garbage, get the fuck out of this store you seeping cunt.
2. say nothing and feel like a coward.

Yes: the grownup way of doing this is to call a manager to tell the customer some equivalent of #1. This is because you will get fired for doing it and s/he will not.

Of course, it depends on the job. I once said something to a customer that made her storm out without buying anything, with the store owner standing right there next to me. But this woman had pissed us both off so much that my boss was basically all "yes! good riddance!"

But basically I think a very important life lesson is to know when to kick the problem upstairs.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 19, 2011, 06:37:14 pm
Indeed.  Whoever said "The customer is always right" was an idiot.  Because sometimes the customer is an asshole with an overbearing sense of entitlement. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 19, 2011, 09:55:07 pm
Indeed.  Whoever said "The customer is always right" was an idiot.  Because sometimes the customer is an asshole with an overbearing sense of entitlement. 

When people say the customer is always right, they mean the customer's money is always right.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 19, 2011, 11:19:41 pm
My boss doesn't believe either of those. There are many times when someone says they will never come back and spend money again and she couldn't be more pleased. It's a big part of why I am still there despite wondering whether those two afternoons a week wouldn't be better spent looking for writing work. And another part is how much I learn about how bizarre people can be.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 20, 2011, 04:30:25 am
How true or false is this?

Quote
CARBON TRADING.....WHAT CARBON TRADING?

Professor Ian Plimer could not have said it better! If you've read his book you will agree, this is a good summary.

Are you sitting down?

Okay.  The volcanic eruption in Iceland, since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet, all of you.

Of course you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress, that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow, and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans, and all animal life.

I know, it's very disheartening to realize that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of: driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery bags, sitting up till midnight to finish your kid's "The Green Revolution" science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home instead of abroad, nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing all of your 50 cents light bulbs with $10.00 light bulbs...well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the drain in just four days.

The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in - yes - FOUR DAYS ONLY by that volcano in Iceland, has totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, -- CARBON.  And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet spewing out this crud, I mean carbon, any one time - EVERY DAY.

I don't really want to overload you with too much reality, but when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in its entire YEARS on earth.  Yes folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over one year.

Of course I shouldn't spoil this touchy-feely tree-hugging moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic activity and the well-recognized 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keep happening, despite our efforts to affect climate change.

And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud but the bush fire season across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years.  And these bush fires happens every year, and been with us since dinosaur days. It is part of nature to get rid of dying old vegetation to enable the re-generation of new growth.
In parts of the world, government has imposed, and other governments are talking about imposing, a whopping carbon tax on you on the basis of ''human-caused'' climate change scenario.

Isn't it interesting how they don't mention ''Global Warming'' any more, but just ''Climate Change'' - you know why?  It's because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming scientists got caught with their ##### down.

And just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme (that whopping new tax) imposed on you, that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer.  It won't stop any volcanoes from erupting, that's for sure.

But hey, RELAX, we have survived and evolved since the dinosaurs extinctions and other world calamities. This global warming hysteria will soon pass to make way for new ones.

Give the world a hug and have a nice day!

PS: Hmmm, I wonder if Iceland is buying carbon offsets like Al Gore does? I'd like to sell them carbon credits to pay for the beer party I am planning to have on the weekend...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 20, 2011, 04:56:58 am
"beer party." This wasn't written by a human.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on April 20, 2011, 05:27:36 am
(http://imgsrv.gocomics.com/dim/?fh=039cf8a00ba4b03f044e33001172e789)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on April 20, 2011, 08:50:45 am
Choop has the right of it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 20, 2011, 04:11:54 pm
yeah, it has never been clear to me what people's theory is of WHY these scientists are inventing the idea of climate change.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 20, 2011, 05:13:42 pm
yeah, it has never been clear to me what people's theory is of WHY these scientists are inventing the idea of climate change.

Why, it's the millions of dollars in research grant money that has corrupted these scientists.

Pay no attention to the trillions of dollars flowing to our transnational energy company overlords behind the curtain.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 20, 2011, 05:31:57 pm
Energy industry note: There's a jillion dollars worth of clean/green energy projects sitting shelved. What do you think it will take to shake them into activity? Take a one-word guess, daddy-O's.

commercial viability
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 20, 2011, 05:33:24 pm
Ain't no side wearing the white hat in this deal, that's a known issue going in.


I ain't never seen anybody wearing a pure white hat anywhere, but I've damn sure seen some that are a lot blacker than others.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 20, 2011, 06:11:38 pm
You're free to think that, but Joe Science ain't dropping 28 billion to bring a shale extracting plant on line in northern Alberta and looking at a thirty year ROI.

Yeah, but there's an ROI.  No R, no I. And you can rest assured that they will make sure there's a big fuckin' R by any means necessary. Also, Joe Science ain't got 28 billion to invest.   Joe Science, like virtually all the rest of us Joes, has nothing but his blood, sweat, toil and tears to invest.  People make this their life's work.  $28 billion is how many hours profit?

Quote
Implementation and development time, people. You can't have this in your lifetime, but your grand-kiddies ought to see some fruit from it.

The momentum is already there, many regional and international players have already spec'd out non-petro based projects. But this shit takes decades not years to implement. When we were discussing the Japan nuclear issue and someone linked to the China pebble-bed reactor design did anyone do a little follow up on when it began and where it is on the delivery spectrum now? That sucker has been in development for near a decade.

I'm not saying that the pressure for change in how we produce our energy needs should reduce. Much as in our personal life, their are benefits of economy in doing so to the point that it is worthwhile and necessary.

But engaging in the forced histrionics of climate change is no longer needed now that the initial inertia has been overcome. In fact, that pressure point setting an artificially early deadline is counterproductive, as it will only increase resistance to change from a practicality of implementation standpoint.

Short version: Fuck You climate, we'll do it anyways.

I don't really disagree with much you've said here, but it has nothing much to do with whether or not energy companies behave ethically.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 20, 2011, 06:36:13 pm
The world don't run on ethics. Last I heard Ethics was 0 for several thousands of years.

Clearly then we should begin to rape and pillage.

Quote
You wanna get something done or do you want people (businesses, institutions, governments) to act the way you think they should? Because you can chivvy them into one of those while the other, well, we're still waiting...

'Course, it could be argued that the big mono-blocks you're hating on are acting ethically in pursuing the necessary means to protect and promote their leadership, employees and investors. Those are people too, right?

What is the difference, ethically, between a large business concern promoting the interests of it's active parties (people) and a public employees union? I don't see one.

So what you're suggesting is that every group's mission is equally acceptable and admirable?  What the difference between the Nazi party (Godwin'd!!!) and the Roman Catholic Church?  They're both promoting the interests of their active parties, aren't they?  And don't we have to consider the methods employed to promote those interests?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 20, 2011, 07:05:34 pm
I don't care what a group's mission is particularly (in a personal sense I might, but not in a policy sense), since we have referees in place to blow the whistle on them and mark off the penalty yards when they step in it. Now, if you're unhappy with their influence on the referees and think the playing field is being tilted in their favour because of that...again, they represent the interest of how many millions of people?

How many millions more people's interests are they trampling on?

You can't argue that it's ok that the companies are amoral because we have referees to rein them in AND that it's ok that they choose and co-opt those very same refs.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 20, 2011, 07:23:12 pm
The problem with this:

Energy company F isn't accountable to me but D-48th District sure as heck is.

Is this:

Quote
Now, if you're unhappy with their influence on the referees and think the playing field is being tilted in their favour because of that

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 20, 2011, 07:47:01 pm
Is there a difference between any entity promoting the interests of its members?  How many millions of people do you have to represent before it's OK to act amorally?  Is anything the Chinese government does automatically OK because they represent more people than anybody else?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 20, 2011, 09:05:50 pm
Near as I can tell, the Chinese government doesn't represent anyone other than their party cronies.  They're in power because they've held all the cards in their country since 1949, and you'll get disappeared, shot, or shipped to the boonies if you say otherwise.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 20, 2011, 09:48:53 pm
How true or false is this?

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/index.php
Quote
Volcanoes contribute about 110 million tons of carbon dioxide per year while man's activities contribute about 10 billion tons per year.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 20, 2011, 10:17:31 pm
Man am I ever not going to get involved in this little discussion.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 20, 2011, 10:53:45 pm
Man am I ever not going to get involved in this little discussion.

Man, I started this shit and I don't even want to get involved.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 21, 2011, 01:20:48 am
And I'm bored with it too!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 21, 2011, 02:01:51 am
Given that efforts to reduce carbon output probably have not yet done much, it does seem possible that a particularly intense volcano could off-set them.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 21, 2011, 02:22:19 am
I lived in Pasadena from '85 to '88. My dad still lives there. It's definitely much better now, but that's not because of a carbon output reduction so far as I know.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 21, 2011, 03:14:50 am
Those would be the sulfur and nitric oxide reductions enforced by the State of California.  True that they have next to nothing to do with greenhouse emissions, but they are similarly inconvenient to the market, but well worth the effort.  I too have noticed a big improvement in air quality in my various trips through So-Cal, and while I'm a pretty big fan of the free market, I'm not sorry to see Big Government succeed in this case.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 21, 2011, 08:36:21 pm
Actually, I will say that it's odd to work with people who actively reject the idea that humans have any impact on the earth, its atmosphere, or its denizens. To which I say "hey fuck it, I don't have any kids so when yours are breathing through gill filters it ain't no skin off my ass".
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 21, 2011, 10:33:14 pm
I say fuck it because my belief is that there are just too many people (and growing by the second (http://galen.metapath.org/popclk.html)), and no matter how much conservatism there is we are gonna run this poor old planet into the ground in the short run.  There's just no way we are ever going to become willing to make the kind of sacrifices that must be made in order to prevent a cataclysm.  We are gonna drive our SUV's full speed right off the edge of the cliff.

Barring the event of nuclear war, which could happen at any time, I'd say we have about a century of continued slow decline until this place starts to resemble a Mad Max movie.  My hope is that we (I) can escape this planet before the collapse.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 21, 2011, 10:59:17 pm
Asher's point that regulations and incentives can improve things is a good one. Turning the global warming truck around is a pretty daunting task, but there are other environmental success stories. I understand that the highways used to be covered with litter, but fines and changing social attitudes have made littering taboo.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 22, 2011, 01:28:43 am
The only source I have for the idea that everything will be fine if we do it real slow-like to avoid pissing off neanderthals is this one Ash guy on the Internet.

Actually, on second read he is saying that of you ram legislation down people's throats for their own good, they will get used to it. I like that idea.

Shit my Dan says: tobacco should be illegal.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on April 22, 2011, 01:42:39 am
Shit my Dan says: tobacco should be illegal.

you get pot legalized across the country and i'll be happy to let you take away my tobacco. until then, back the fuck off.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 22, 2011, 05:44:46 pm
The Tea Party doesn't get bigger because of things that are actually happening - the Tea Party gets bigger because of bullshit propaganda and spin that Big Business packages nicely for Ultra-Right-Wingers to dispense on Fox News. (For instance, the birther movement, among about a billion other things.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 22, 2011, 08:23:57 pm
See what I mean about avoidable consequences with poor outcomes? When you shove too hard and mis-read a portion of the public you actually set back your agenda, whether it is a good fuck*ng idea or not.

So what you are saying is we need to find a better way to reach the dumfuck majority in this country.  I wonder how we can go about this?  Do you think we could convince Larry the Cable Guy to start talking about fuel efficient vehicles?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 22, 2011, 09:37:19 pm
Please, my miggroid. Six million illegal immigrants and PEU's wagging the political dowg are a non-issue dream in California?

The issues are there, but I agree most of the packaging stinks badly.

They package it as illegals (and don't even get me started with how much they actually bring to the table as opposed to taking away from it) but that's a prettier up way of saying "fuck the brown and black people". The core Tea Partiers would just as soon see an America that is pure white as the driven snow.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 22, 2011, 11:06:06 pm
The core Tea Partiers would just as soon see an America that is pure white as the driven snow.

Except for their black lungs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4619709148/).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on April 22, 2011, 11:58:30 pm
As a side note, from a harm reduction perspective, electronic cigarettes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxZjGUiaIS0) are pretty interesting.  It gets me thinking that rather than people continuing to lose their shit over smoking, that that energy could be redirected into making smoking less harmful.  I find someone smoking a cigarette disgusting, but I could care less if they were smoking an e-cigarette around me.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 23, 2011, 01:02:00 am
I know this doesn't help, but I think borders are pretty fuck*ng stupid.  That is where I stand on illegal immigration.

I don't have a passport out of principle.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on April 23, 2011, 02:09:17 am
As a side note, from a harm reduction perspective, electronic cigarettes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxZjGUiaIS0) are pretty interesting.  It gets me thinking that rather than people continuing to lose their shit over smoking, that that energy could be redirected into making smoking less harmful.  I find someone smoking a cigarette disgusting, but I could care less if they were smoking an e-cigarette around me.

They should be good but for some reason they just won't catch on. I think they misjudge the reason people smoke, physical addiction is a big part but I think the social aspects are why people find it hardest to quit. Puffing on some fruity space age thing instead of bumming one off your mates just doesn't feel right, I'd imagine.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 23, 2011, 02:21:10 am
Educate me. I see it as neutral at best with rotten side effects.

Personally, I'm at the '87/'88 version amnesty point just to clear this shit off the table.

Sorry - having a sorta bad day. I hate traveling and went off on you on a subject that angers me a lot, and you didn't deserve it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on April 23, 2011, 05:20:28 am
no illegals = no good burritos, way less home depot hires. that backyard ain't gonna clean itself. i'm all for amnesty - i think if somebody's lived here for five, six years, plans to stay here and send cash home, doesn't matter where they're from, let 'em stay. most of 'em are from between here and columbia, they can get here in a week by truck. ain't like we can stop the flow, but it wouldn't suck to get a handle on it. other than australia, is there a country founded anywhere close to this on immigration?

here come some maps of global population density, with indeterminate relative scales. first, a comment: think you don't have enough room to live? check out central europe, western china, bangladesh versus pretty much all of the u.s. i'm on a third of an acre with just my wife; that could (would?) house 16 people comfortably without building up 1 (http://www.pambhm.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/6-world-map-population-density.png) 2 (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_z9pk2QhSxmc/TNjV-LbCqaI/AAAAAAAAABM/bjgI6V1oexY/s1600/g-gpw-population-map.gif) 3 (http://earthtrends.wri.org/text/map_lg.php?mid=192) 4 (http://www.fao.org/docrep/009/a0310e/A0310E06.htm)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 23, 2011, 09:00:44 am
Quote
you get pot legalized across the country and i'll be happy to let you take away my tobacco.

Yes, this is my fantasy. A world in which drugs are illegal or legal based on (!!!) how bad they are for you. Where the FDA tests out fun drugs the same way they regulate foods. This won't happen, and I guess I'd rather invest my mental energy in "pot should be legal" than "tobacco should be illegal."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 23, 2011, 09:12:32 am
Say what you want about tobacco, but if you want to start making more shit illegal you have to start with alcohol, not tobacco.  And, yeah, absolutely everything should be legal. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 23, 2011, 04:14:54 pm
It's so absurd that the most dangerous drugs are legal and the others aren't that even children know it doesn't make sense.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 23, 2011, 07:17:50 pm
Nabu's comment falls right in line with my earlier concept of generational change and momentum building on issues.

Maybe since it came from him, dear readers, we will avoid some of the sneering douche-cock posts and actually realize that today we can see an horizon where there will be state managed dispensaries/vendors when in 1969 you could get 10 years in the pokey for getting caught giving your friend a marijuana cigarette in most places.

BTW, Spouse got a set up through a relative to have a Vancouver local spend a day touring around with her to depart local knowledge. Nice lady, she can no longer enter the US or it's possessions because forty years ago she got caught in the states getting on a plane with a personal sized amount of pot and declared part of the undesirable list and has stayed there.

The fun thing about it all is that the prohibitions are left over from shit like farm subsidies and other back-scratching and mattress-stuffing bullshit. If the weed lobby was smart enough to spread some money around (but of course the politicos couldn't hardly be caught taken cash from them) they might make some headway. Hard to find some folks to lobby for making hoss legal, though.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 24, 2011, 04:30:38 pm
yesterday there was a big argument in my family about whether it is "snobby" to not like Harry Potter. Weird weird weird.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 24, 2011, 07:55:20 pm
This is where we've come to as a nation.  If you don't like something that is popular it's not because you have good taste it's because you are a snob.

Harry Potter is a tough one though.  The first book was very good.  I enjoyed it immensely.  But it went downhill fast.  Every subsequent  book was worse than the one that came before it.  I made it through the 6th one before I threw in the towel.  I've got the 7th book sitting right next to me on the desk that a friend loaned me a couple of months ago, but I haven't managed to crack it open yet.

I like the movies though.  The last one is the only one I haven't seen yet and will be the only one I didn't see in the theater.  It's a catch 22 because I don't want to watch it before I read the book and I really don't want to read the book.  Ha ha...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 24, 2011, 08:09:19 pm
Never read them. Watched a bit of two of the movies (perhaps five minutes each).

I wonder if people would consider me a snob for not liking Dean Koontz? Because he writes like a teenager.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 24, 2011, 11:00:36 pm
Oh boy, is this ever a juicy one.

Quote
BUCHANAN TO OBAMA
Finally............It is Said Publicly.    I have never seen the white side explained better! Pat Buchanan had the guts to say it, and it's about time.

By  Patrick J.  Buchanan

Barack says we need to have a  conversation about race in America .. Fair enough. But this time, it has to be a two-way conversation.. White America needs to be heard from,  not just lectured to.... This time, the Silent Majority needs to have its  convictions, grievances and demands heard. And among them are  these:

First,     America has  been the best country on earth for black folks. It was here that  600,000 black people, brought from Africa in slave ships, grew into a  community of 40 million, were introduced to Christian salvation, and  reached the greatest levels of freedom and prosperity blacks have ever  known.. Wright ought to go down on his knees and thank God he is an  American.

Second, no people anywhere has done more to lift up blacks than white Americans.  Untold trillions have been spent since the ' 60s on welfare, food stamps, rent supplements, Section 8 housing, Pell grants, student loans,  legal services, Medicaid, Earned Income Tax Credits and poverty programs designed to bring the African-American community into the mainstream.  Governments, businesses and colleges have engaged in discrimination against white folks -- with affirmative action, contract set-asides and quotas -- to advance black applicants over white applicants.  Churches, foundations, civic groups, schools and individuals all over America have donated their time and money to support soup kitchens, adult education, day care, retirement and nursing homes for blacks.
We hear the  grievances. Where is the gratitude??

Barack talks about new 'ladders of opportunity' for blacks. Let him go to Altoona   and Johnstown , and ask the white kids in Catholic schools how many were visited lately by Ivy League recruiters handing out scholarships for 'deserving' white kids. Is white America really responsible for the fact that the crime and incarceration rates for African-Americans are seven times those of whiteAmerica?  Is it really white America's  fault that illegitimacy in the African-American community has hit 70 percent and the black dropout rate from high schools in some cities has reached 50 percent?

Is that the fault of white America or, first and foremost, a failure of the black community itself?

As for racism, its ugliest manifestation is in interracial crime, and especially interracial crimes of violence. Is Barack Obama aware that while white criminals choose black victims 3 percent of the time, black criminals choose white victims 45 percent of the time?

Is Barack aware  that black-on-white rapes are 100 times more common than the reverse, that black-on-white robberies were 139 times as common in the first  three years of this decade as the reverse?

We have all heard ad nauseam from the Rev. Al  about Tawana Brawley, the Duke rape case and Jena.  And all turned out to be hoaxes. But, about the epidemic of black assaults on whites that are real, we hear nothing.
 
Sorry, Barack, some of us have heard it all before, about 40 years and 40 trillion tax dollars ago. This needs to be passed around  because, this is a message everyone needs to hear!!! 
 
OK...........

will you pass it on ?

YES. I did but will you?

Because I'm for a better America 

I am
Not racist,
Not violent,
Just not silent anymore
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 25, 2011, 12:14:08 am
I mean, yeah. I just said, you know, I think those books are fine, but they are not the best books ever written, or even the best children's or fantasy books ever written. This made my family very upset.

Then my mom was trying to explain how those books are so brilliant and clever and it was making me embarrassed because I am a jerk.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on April 25, 2011, 03:47:28 am
I think there are some good parts about those books, I also think some parts are #####-on-head retarded.
From the first book Quidditch bugged the crap out of me. The rules are created specifically so Harry can be the hero every game.
But I stopped reading them entirely because the main character is an irritating, whinging, self-indulgent weight around everyone else's neck. Also because I stopped dating the girl who was really into them. So I've read up to Book Six, which ends with Snape being a complete bad ass (and everyone forgetting all over again that he's saved their asses multiple times and just assuming he's evil). I figure I can fill in the gaps myself. Mainly with Snape riding a goddamn Gryphon and saving the goddamn day again.

As for Paul's latest, it's really hard for me to get past this line:
Quote
It was here that  600,000 black people, brought from Africa in slave ships, grew into a  community of 40 million, were introduced to Christian salvation, and  reached the greatest levels of freedom and prosperity blacks have ever  known.. Wright ought to go down on his knees and thank God he is an  American.

Really? Painting slavery as awesome? Really?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 25, 2011, 04:47:23 am
As for Paul's latest, it's really hard for me to get past this line:
Really? Painting slavery as awesome? Really?

To play devil's advocate here I'm guessing that the logic is that if they hadn't been brought to America they would be living in some shithole in Africa or dying in some genocidal war.  Also, they wouldn't know Jesus.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on April 25, 2011, 04:53:04 am
Really? Painting slavery as awesome? Really?

Well, yeah. How else would those ungrateful whiners have been saved from eternal damnation? Edit: What Paul said.

This is good too:

Quote
I have never seen the white side explained better! Pat Buchanan had the guts to say it, and it's about time.

As a white male I am so goddamn tired of being underrepresented in government, business and media. When's my turn? Hopefully in 2012 our voices are finally heard.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 25, 2011, 06:19:31 am
http://www.muzu.tv/mybeatclub/randy-newman-sail-away-music-video/201456

In America you'll get food to eat
Won't have to run through the jungle
And scuff up your feet
You'll just sing about Jesus and drink wine all day
It's great to be an American

Ain't no lions or tigers-ain't no mamba snake
Just the sweet watermelon and the buckwheat cake
Ev'rybody is as happy as a man can be
Climb aboard, little wog-sail away with me

Sail away-sail away
We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay
Sail away-sail away
We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay

In America every man is free
To take care of his home and his family
You'll be as happy as a monkey in a monkey tree
You're all gonna be an American

Sail away-sail away
We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay
Sail away-sail away
We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay   

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 25, 2011, 02:59:18 pm
Pat Buchanan is a straight-up madman, but there's no way he wrote that.

Also:

Quote
Is white America really responsible for the fact that the crime and incarceration rates for African-Americans are seven times those of whiteAmerica?  Is it really white America's  fault that illegitimacy in the African-American community has hit 70 percent and the black dropout rate from high schools in some cities has reached 50 percent?

Um, the answer to this is, in many ways, yes.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 25, 2011, 05:29:22 pm
Pat Buchanan is a straight-up madman, but there's no way he wrote that.
I had the same thought, so I checked snopes. I was wrong. It's the most popular article on his site. You can also find links to his published apologies for Hitler.

http://buchanan.org/blog/pjb-a-brief-for-whitey-969
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 25, 2011, 05:54:58 pm
Teach me to give that guy more of the benefit of the doubt than he deserves.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 28, 2011, 04:10:05 am
major shit-storm going on among my friends because these dumb-ass "anarchists" vandalized a bunch of local businesses and stole some security cameras. I think the time is coming when I start saying mean shit. People who I kind-of know and thought were "nice people" are getting real radical and douchey about this. people calling each other out, people saying "my band refuses to play shows with ____ because they support [the landlord]."

the guy whose shit they stole made the comment that they are pretty stupid for fuck*ng with him, because as a hip landlord he knows where all the anarchist squats are. Also, you know, when you steal a security camera, you are filmed by that camera.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 28, 2011, 01:40:37 pm
You should steal and/or destroy some of their stuff and see if they go to the cops.

Anarchists and Randians.  Two sides of the same coin.  Waah!  Waah!  The social contract won't allow me to do exactly what I want to all the time!  I'm gonna take my ball and go home!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on April 28, 2011, 02:28:22 pm
You should steal and/or destroy some of their stuff and see if they go to the cops.

Anarchists and Randians.  Two sides of the same coin.  Waah!  Waah!  The social contract won't allow me to do exactly what I want to all the time!  I'm gonna take my ball and go home!

I actually had to google "Randian" because for several minutes I was stumped trying to figure what you have against James Randi. But yes, Ayn Rand. Now I'm on the trolley. As you were, good sir.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 28, 2011, 03:43:55 pm
Oh, hello Onstad!

More like, "Waah! Waah! You philistines won't kiss my ass hard enough, so I'm strangling my golden goose."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 28, 2011, 05:18:22 pm
yeah, there was on really vile anti-cop slogan that is still making my blood boil.

online comments section on the article about this/the article itself have a lot of "hipster" comments. Not sure what is going on there, I do not have a hard time differentiating between a guy in 70$ levis and a kid who sleeps in an unheated abandoned building.
Also this one coffee shop employee said "I don't know who it was, all hipsters look alike to me." Having gone to that coffee shop... pot:kettle.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 29, 2011, 04:02:27 am
hm. I forget where we were talking about this, but in response to a long email thread talking about various things which turned to talking about Sun Ra, my friend responded "I heart Sun Ra!"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 29, 2011, 04:18:28 am
Quote from: August
Anarchists and Randians.  Two sides of the same coin.  Waah!  Waah!  The social contract won't allow me to do exactly what I want to all the time!  I'm gonna take my ball and go home!

THERE AIN'T ENOUGH CANS
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on April 29, 2011, 09:25:31 am
August gets a can, BECAUSE YOU CAN'T STOP ME DOING WHAT I WANT FASCISTS!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on April 30, 2011, 10:50:12 pm
yeah, there was on really vile anti-cop slogan that is still making my blood boil.

Fuck da police?

Ominous:  Stop signs in my neighbourhood have "SNITCHING" stenciled under the "STOP."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 30, 2011, 11:20:33 pm
Fuck da police?

Ominous:  Stop signs in my neighbourhood have "SNITCHING" stenciled under the "STOP."


I've seen that referenced (and once in Portland, but probably stencilled with ironically hipsterish intent).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 01, 2011, 12:49:42 am
the line here was "No tears for dead cops."

my thought is "no tears for whining anarchists after they get evicted from their squats."

there is also some weird anti-"snitching" sticker-graffiti in my neighborhood that bugs me. It is not a catchy slogan, it says something like "this neighborhood resolves, as neighbors and fellow human beings, to address our problems in person, rather than involving law enforcement."


This whole issue came up again last night in person, and people were talking about "gentrification." I had a realization, which is, I think these people have never lived outside of St Louis, and think it is normal to have abandoned buildings all over the damn place.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on May 01, 2011, 01:45:35 am
there is also some weird anti-"snitching" sticker-graffiti in my neighborhood that bugs me. It is not a catchy slogan, it says something like "this neighborhood resolves, as neighbors and fellow human beings, to address our problems in person, rather than involving law enforcement."

I read that as 'I, as a self righteous asshole with a laser printer, resolve to speak for my entire community, because anyone who disagrees with me is surely not one of us and therefore their opinion doesn't count.'
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 01, 2011, 01:49:52 am
the line here was "No tears for dead cops."

We have some pretty aggressive cops in Portland, and many of them have been involved in somewhat questionable shootings. Still, that's pretty fucked.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 01, 2011, 01:58:09 am
Quote
Interesting. In my current neighbourhood that's exactly how we work things out with each other, in polite conversation. The question that sticker gives me, is it that kind of neighbourhood? Or is it the kind where middle-aged asian men are being beat to death in a gang initiation? Or somewhere in between and people are trying to stop a slide in the wrong direction?

Yeah, I don't know. I know that my neighborhood near washU had this kind of attitude about things like having a loud party on a saturday night, or whatever. I definitely support that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on May 01, 2011, 06:35:57 am
Ominous:  Stop signs in my neighbourhood have "SNITCHING" stenciled under the "STOP."

I've got one right around the corner from my house that says "STOP Teaching!"  And on the next block it says "Please STOP Teaching."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on May 01, 2011, 01:14:53 pm
To the extent that you're a fellow signatory to the social contract, I'm happy to work things out with you, adult to adult.  This does not mean I will turn a blind eye to anything you want to do, especially if it harms me, mine or nearby innocents.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 02, 2011, 01:36:32 pm
There's one in my neighborhood that says "Don't STOP Believing."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 02, 2011, 01:59:13 pm
There's one in my neighborhood that says "Don't STOP Believing."

I would make the one nearest my house say "STOP, in the name of love" but I'm no vandal.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on May 02, 2011, 03:24:28 pm
Do it!!!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on May 02, 2011, 04:40:18 pm
Think it over...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on May 02, 2011, 04:45:10 pm
STOP
fighting you guys
you're ruining
thanksgiving
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on May 03, 2011, 12:57:15 am
There was also another one that reads "STOP HAMMERTIME" which I enjoyed immensely, unfortunately it was replaced quickly.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 03, 2011, 01:23:15 am
Just think how quickly "Stop collaborate and listen" would get replaced!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on May 03, 2011, 01:24:56 am
It just seems like a cry for help (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5682252562/).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on May 03, 2011, 08:59:13 am
Think it over...

Heh. Fuck, now I have it stuck in my head. At least it's a good song.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on May 06, 2011, 04:52:38 pm
I stumbled upon this message board (http://www.city-data.com/forum/elections/459089-anti-obama-billboard-southwest-missouri-7.html) I tried not to read anything, but those are some hateful images.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on May 06, 2011, 06:18:30 pm
But the photoshoped pictures!  Holy shit.  Terrible.

How I found this was because I was noticing reporters were having trouble with the Obama/Osama names sounding alike, so I googled "Obama Osama same" and images from this messageboard posting came up.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on May 06, 2011, 07:26:36 pm
did you folks not see any of this during the campaigns in '08? because it was everywhere
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on May 06, 2011, 08:05:36 pm
Not in Canada, no. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on May 06, 2011, 09:22:30 pm
I didn't see it.  Still haven't.  The image in the original post is removed.

Re:  Osama/Obama  Daily Show did a fun bit (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-may-4-2011/the-poll-riser-show) on that last night.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on May 06, 2011, 11:34:45 pm
Sigh - that site content is not available in Canada, but I did PVR that episode and will watch it later.

Here's a bunch of the errors:  http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/119871/10_funniest_obama_osama_name (http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/119871/10_funniest_obama_osama_name)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 18, 2011, 01:22:56 am
"What do you call people like that? Towelheads, right?"

"what? No. They're just... they're Muslim women with headscarves."

"Oh, OK. Huh. So you don't call them Towelheads? I think I've heard that"

"no, that is a slur. That is a mean thing to call them.... don't call them that."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on May 18, 2011, 01:27:29 am
"What do you call people like that? Towelheads, right?"

"what? No. They're just... they're Muslim women with headscarves."

"Oh, OK. Huh. So you don't call them Towelheads? I think I've heard that"

"no, that is a slur. That is a mean thing to call them.... don't call them that."

It's better than sand nigger though, right?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 18, 2011, 01:29:51 am
I heard a guy at the mower shop say "how many Polacks does it take . . . " as sort of a self-deprecatory comment on how he was having a problem with fixing his throttle cable. I was taken aback.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on May 18, 2011, 03:00:29 am
I was chatting with my Mum's boyfriend yesterday about Melbourne and Sydney when he suddenly went off on a tangent about how many 'wogs' there are in Melbourne, and about how he was driving down the street and all the wogs were just sitting on the stoops looking at him. I am not built to confront that kind of situation.
I'm wondering if it might be a New Zealander thing? A friend of mine from Ireland loves to talk about how the Irish are insanely racist just because there is so little racial diversity over there, I wonder if NZ is the same? Or maybe this guy is just kind of a douche.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 18, 2011, 03:34:00 am
I was chatting with my Mum's boyfriend yesterday about Melbourne and Sydney when he suddenly went off on a tangent about how many 'wogs' there are in Melbourne, and about how he was driving down the street and all the wogs were just sitting on the stoops looking at him. I am not built to confront that kind of situation.
I'm wondering if it might be a New Zealander thing? A friend of mine from Ireland loves to talk about how the Irish are insanely racist just because there is so little racial diversity over there, I wonder if NZ is the same? Or maybe this guy is just kind of a douche.

"if your asshole ancestors had stayed in europe where they belonged, you wouldnt have to worry about it."

thats what i would have said......
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 18, 2011, 03:42:45 am
my favorite joke ever, of all time, about this is a line in a Kids in the Hall sketch:


"you have to understand, I grew up in a very small town... there was no "diversity," everyone was White, Canadian, and Protestant. Well, I suppose there was the one Dutch family down the street. My mother called them n******."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 18, 2011, 02:16:39 pm
Had a guy at work go off on the goalie for the Canucks, calling him a faggot because he beat the Americans during the olympics. I told him not to say shit like that around me, but really, what? I mean, that's really an insane and inappropriate response to the situation of your national team losing, right?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on May 18, 2011, 02:55:20 pm
Yeah, clearly those american fags need to play better.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on May 18, 2011, 03:19:11 pm
Supposedly a guy set up a Twitter account for his dad and told him that's where he types to search Google. I think it's complete bullshit because how does that even make sense? Did he set up some sort of script to actually pass what he types onto Google? Otherwise wouldn't the dad realize after like 3 of them that nothing was coming up?

https://twitter.com/#!/oldmansearch
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 18, 2011, 05:12:24 pm
I heard a guy at the mower shop say "how many Polacks does it take . . . " as sort of a self-deprecatory comment on how he was having a problem with fixing his throttle cable. I was taken aback.

I've heard my dad say that, too. Even among Polacks, Polish jokes are mostly seen as harmless. I can't tell you how many "Polish Coffee Mugs" my grandmother had. (They have the handle on the inside.)

When I was a kid, my dad had a bright orange shirt that read something like:

I'M PROUD TO BE

A POLOK
A POLICK
A POLLOCK

POLISH

I didn't get it when I was little, but now it kind of makes me chuckle. Not because it's a funny joke, but because it's odd to picture my dad wearing such a goofy shirt. I'd bet money his mother bought it for him.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 18, 2011, 09:54:56 pm
Jackson Polock, amiright?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 18, 2011, 10:15:08 pm
Well, yeah, I'm not about to tell Polish people they can't call themselves polacks. Some of my best friends are polacks. It's just been a long time since I've heard it - I've become accustomed to the more cutting edge racist/sexist/etc-ist remarks.

OT - from a friend's FB wall:

Quote from: my idiot friend
I have a personal reason for asking if everyone could put this as their status for one hour. I'm pretty sure I know the ones who will. Think of someone you know or love who has had cancer. My wish is that in 2011 a cure will be found. Will you post it for one hour to honor those who have fought or are fighting cancer? I hope to see it in your status.

I know plenty of people who have had or currently have cancer, and quite frankly you can go to hell. My wish is that a cure will be found, too - and won't it be interesting if one cure is found for all the different kinds of cancer - but I don't see how posting on FB will help deliver one. Don't try to guilt me into this.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on May 19, 2011, 12:47:02 am
Well, yeah, I'm not about to tell Polish people they can't call themselves polacks. Some of my best friends are polacks. It's just been a long time since I've heard it - I've become accustomed to the more cutting edge racist/sexist/etc-ist remarks.

OT - from a friend's FB wall:

I know plenty of people who have had or currently have cancer, and quite frankly you can go to hell. My wish is that a cure will be found, too - and won't it be interesting if one cure is found for all the different kinds of cancer - but I don't see how posting on FB will help deliver one. Don't try to guilt me into this.

Quote from: My Facebook Friend
Copy this and put it in your status if you know someone or have heard of someone who knows someone or have heard of someone who may know someone, or if you dont know anyone or even if you have just heard of someone who doesn’t know anyone then do still copy this…most people wont, buts its important to spread the message..oh yeah and the hearts ♥ ♥ for fucks sake dont forget the hearts ♥ ♥

Of course I get plenty of the other kind too.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 02, 2011, 12:48:37 am
I'm including this one because it's just so bizarre.

Quote
Dear President Obama:
 
I am writing today with a somewhat unusual request.  First and foremost, I will be asking that you return America to its August 20th, 1959 borders so that Hawaii is no longer a state and you are no longer a citizen.
 
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 02, 2011, 06:01:34 pm
I had a lengthy conversation today with my mother about how I should get a land line so that I don't have to use my cancer-causing cell phone all the time.

This conversation took place while we were both on our cell phones.

I was using a headset.

She wasn't.

Also, she refuses to believe science, but instead refutes my citation of the actual WHO report in question with anecdotes from the network news.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on June 02, 2011, 11:12:16 pm
Today my boss (who is black) forced me to say "nigger babies" in regard to a conversation about those horrible licorice candies.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 03, 2011, 12:44:27 am
Not kosher!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on June 03, 2011, 12:45:17 am
Today my boss (who is black) forced me to say "nigger babies" in regard to a conversation about those horrible licorice candies.

For some reason I had to sit and look at that and really take it all in.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 03, 2011, 02:46:26 am
there are frequent conversations among my coworkers about how they do not care if white people say the N word, and slavery is over so get over it. I am not sure how someone who lives in St Louis can think there are no more race problems in America.

Shit I see at work and what the fuck is this:

there is this guy who comes in sometimes. He has the thing going on where he is black, but has patches of white/lighter skin all over his body. What is the deal with that?

...but that is not the part I can't handle. What I can't handle is that he wears the same brown (almost exact same color as his skin tone) t-shirt every day, and his face/head and t-shirt are splotched with a gross orange-y pigment. It makes it look like someone dumped a bunch of bleach on his head, bleaching both his shirt and skin. What the fuck?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on June 03, 2011, 02:48:46 am
 I am not sure how someone who lives in America can think there are no more race problems in America.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on June 03, 2011, 04:37:31 am
I am not sure how someone who lives in America can think there are no more race problems in America.

Where is the like button on this message board?

Yeah, my boss most definitely doesn't think race problems are not an issue - very much the opposite.  She was just having a laugh at my expense "now will you say it?  Say it now...."  further discussion about horrible racism, followed by her grabbing me and saying "now say it!"  I finally did.  She explained that where she's from (Caribbean islands) they had a sort of nut that everyone called "n-words."

It's that I basically never use harsh language at work.  Everyone gets all excited when I say "fuck" which is pretty hilarious.  If only they could have seen me at the HIV clinic where every second word I uttered was fuck.  I mentioned to a group of coworkers who were apologizing to me for swearing that I used to swear like a sailor, but they were really surprised by that.   It's the most respectful environment I've ever worked in (genuine respect, not PC bullshit) so I suppose that why I used such respectful language most of the time.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on June 03, 2011, 08:16:24 am
there is this guy who comes in sometimes. He has the thing going on where he is black, but has patches of white/lighter skin all over his body. What is the deal with that?

A dude's skin condition is unecessarily complicating Dan's views on racial politics.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 03, 2011, 01:14:37 pm
It's called vitiligo, and it's the same condition Michael Jackson said he had. (A common treatment is to depigment all the skin to achieve an even skin tone, which is what Jackson says he did.)

I hate to link to this article at a site called "mjfanclub.net," but it's obviously a reprint of something from a reputable source, which is uncited (and I can't find in its original form online). It explains the disorder more clearly than any of the more scholarly pieces I found.

http://www.mjfanclub.net/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=736:vitiligo-turns-black-tv-anchor-white&catid=129:vitiligo&Itemid=132 (http://www.mjfanclub.net/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=736:vitiligo-turns-black-tv-anchor-white&catid=129:vitiligo&Itemid=132)

I have no idea what the orange stuff is, though, or why it would be all over his head and shirt every single day. That is weird.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on June 03, 2011, 01:24:37 pm
She explained that where she's from (Caribbean islands) they had a sort of nut that everyone called "n-words."

My grandmother still thinks that everybody calls brazil nuts "n-word toes"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 03, 2011, 01:45:34 pm
My mom was telling me just recently a story about Brazil nuts being called that. I was saying how I thought it was awesome that back in the '50s, my grandfather (who was a minister) would often host traveling Black ministers in their home. At the time, even in Northwestern Ohio, they couldn't stay in most white-owned hotels (even if they could afford it) and most other white pastors wouldn't allow Black people to sleep in their homes, eat dinner with their families, etc. My grandfather was an exception, and apparently he took a lot of flak for it, especially since (and this almost makes me ill to say) he had four daughters.

But when I told Mom how I thought Grampa was unusually progressive considering his place and time, she said, "Yeah, that's true, but it's not like he never used the n-word or anything. I mean, he would never call a person that, but I remember once, a Black preacher came to stay with us, and we had these bowls of nuts out, and some of them were Brazil nuts. Well, my dad used to call them 'n-toes,' but not the letter 'N,' you know -- that word you can't say. So that's what we called them too, I didn't know that word could refer to a person, I thought it just meant that kind of nut. So I told my sister, "hey, give me one of those 'n-toes,' and my Mom went white and shooed us out of the room and said, 'Don't say that, don't say that!' It wasn't 'til I was in high school that I realized why."

Still pretty mild on the racism scale, especially for the 1950s, but it sure is interesting how times have changed. (For the better, but we ain't there yet.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on June 03, 2011, 04:00:52 pm
It's called vitiligo, and it's the same condition Michael Jackson said he had. (A common treatment is to depigment all the skin to achieve an even skin tone, which is what Jackson says he did.)
A couple of years ago there was a guy with vitiligo trying out for the Cincinnati Bengals (as shown on the Hard Knocks HBO show).  His was a lot like the news anchor's in that article, and it was oddly unsettling.  It made reading his facial expressions difficult, since your eye kept getting drawn to the patchiness.  I can certainly see why the afflicted folks feel stigmatized by their condition.

I have no idea what the orange stuff is, though, or why it would be all over his head and shirt every single day. That is weird.
Just because someone has a legit skin condition doesn't mean he isn't batshit crazy on top of it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: lprkn on June 03, 2011, 04:07:30 pm
I actually have a couple of small patches of vitiligo that are usually covered by my clothing, so it doesn't really bother me. But you can bet I watch it religiously to see if it spreads. Apparently there treatments that can slow it down, but there's no "cure."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on June 03, 2011, 04:09:52 pm
I actually have a couple of small patches of vitiligo that are usually covered by my clothing, so it doesn't really bother me. But you can bet I watch it religiously to see if it spreads. Apparently there treatments that can slow it down, but there's no "cure."

Tattoos.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 03, 2011, 04:11:50 pm
My mom has the opposite -- a few dark patches on her face caused by a surge of hormones from when she was pregnant with me. It's not terribly uncommon. I have a small spot on one cheek that appeared while I was pregnant with Hero -- about a quarter-inch of slightly darkened skin. Mine is hardly noticeable (Pedro just noticed it a few months ago and I had to show him old photos to prove it had been there for years), but Mom is really self-conscious about hers, and won't ever be seen without makeup.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on June 03, 2011, 09:21:06 pm
If you've ever seem a woman with a pregnancy mask, you can bet she's hoping that delivery will resolve it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 03, 2011, 09:39:26 pm
I was more concerned with delivery resolving the diabeetus and my blazing case of PUPPP (an itchy rash that develops in the third trimester for which there is no relief).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on June 04, 2011, 12:31:20 am
For the love of God, why doesn't our species just lay eggs in a pond and leave them there?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 04, 2011, 01:00:31 am
If we did that, how would we guilt them into taking care of us when we're old?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on June 04, 2011, 02:10:12 am
For the love of God, why doesn't our species just lay eggs in a pond and leave them there?

It happens all the time, it's just that the give-birth-in-a-pond-and-then-walk-away gene doesn't get propagated much for some reason.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 04, 2011, 08:01:06 am
did my coworker just tell me that his boyfriend was killed in front of him on the street for being gay? I think he did. He said this in such a passing way that I feel like I misheard.

Also: that one of our gruff coworkers was a crack dealer in the big south side projects in the 80s.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 04, 2011, 09:51:00 am
Also: that one of our gruff coworkers was a crack dealer in the big south side projects in the 80s.

Did he work in the pit or the towers?  Was he on the money?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on June 07, 2011, 04:55:41 am
Interesting she doesn't have a .gov email. Maybe that's part of keeping it profoundly secret.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on June 07, 2011, 04:13:11 pm
Why don't these ever come from African countries where England was the colonial power?  Because these things always read like someone ran them through Google Translate.  Plus a random capitalisation algorithm.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 08, 2011, 07:21:38 am
My uncle sent me this one (http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24488917.cfm) today in email form.  I wonder if he believes it's true?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on June 09, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
I just got the following message on Urban Spoon in response to a review I wrote:

Quote
your a bitch ya know, matinis is the best food ever, you fucken hore
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on June 09, 2011, 10:04:04 pm
I just got the following message on Urban Spoon in response to a review I wrote:


That's not particularly constructive.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 09, 2011, 11:02:29 pm
The longer I live here and become able to compare my own experiences to Urban Spoon, the more I think that the reviewers on that sight are on bad drugs.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on June 09, 2011, 11:25:27 pm
I'm not on any bad drugs.  That is probably the problem.

As an additional note,  beyond all the obvious errors, even the restaurant name is spelled wrong. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on June 20, 2011, 02:11:22 pm
First email I got from one of the big wigs Friday at 10am:

Quote
Please see the attached important information forwarded at the request of Authority CEO

I open up the attachment, it is a close up photo of the face of a corpse of a little girl. 

Second email I got from one of the big wigs Friday at 10:16 am indicates the phone number to call if you know who the little girl is has changed.

Third email I got from one of the big wigs at 11:15am, marked urgent:

Quote
Please be advised that the nature of the photograph contained in the email forwarded on behalf of the Authority may be disturbing to some people.

Yeah... thanks for the warning, an hour later.

Fourth email, sent Monday at 7:30pm:

Quote
Good evening, Following the 330 media release a tip was received that assisted in the female being identified.  She is fourteen.

Her name is being forwarded. Winnipeg Police will advise (name of Child Welfare Agency).

Fuck.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on June 20, 2011, 03:27:15 pm
We get stuff which, while not as extreme as that, is pretty rough - industrial accident stuff. Missing extremities, electrocutions, etc. On the emails, there is often some kind of warning, but then people will print them out and hand them around at our morning meeting, and of course given our particular population, it's sort of considered weak to not look at the pictures. There typically is no warning during the meetings.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 20, 2011, 04:17:42 pm
of course given our particular population, it's sort of considered weak to not look at the pictures. There typically is no warning during the meetings.

Actually, if you don't look at the photo it means that you don't give a damn about safety.  As if looking at that shit is going to make you suddenly realize that you need to be more careful.  "You mean THIS is what will happen if I fall off the structure?  I'll be extra sure to attach my harness from now on."

Bullshit!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on June 20, 2011, 05:20:38 pm
Exactly.

"Normally I do all my electrical work with one hand in my pocket, so I don't get zapped - but this picture gives me pause. I will reevaluate my commitment to personal safety now!"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on June 20, 2011, 06:16:46 pm
I dunno.  I've always thought that this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqd4aPs5WTA) was a pretty effective safety video.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 26, 2011, 06:32:53 pm
So not clicking.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on June 26, 2011, 08:48:57 pm
HOLY SHIT! MY BRAIN A'SPLODING!

THESE FORK LIFTS!!!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on June 26, 2011, 09:39:30 pm
We already discussed this fork lift video in 2007 (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4103.msg108211.html#msg108211).  I liked visiting that old thread actually.  PSA's are a facinating mix of shock value and sometimes desperate attempts to engage the viewer.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 26, 2011, 11:16:06 pm
I dunno.  I've always thought that this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqd4aPs5WTA) was a pretty effective safety video.

mst3k or rifftrax tore this video a funny new asshole, once.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 27, 2011, 12:02:08 am
Speaking of, I got tickets to the Cinematic Titanic live tour and...

I am DEEPLY fuck*ng excited.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 27, 2011, 01:11:23 am
Speaking of, I got tickets to the Cinematic Titanic live tour and...

I am DEEPLY fuck*ng excited.

[[high 5]]
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 27, 2011, 02:34:19 am
Got into a facebook debate with a priest about gay marriage today. Here's where I lost it:

Quote
There are also some serious religious liberty issues at stake, too. This article details some of them: http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=27817 I hadn't previously heard about the New Jersey Methodist church that got its tax exempt status revoked because it refused to rent a facility for a gay wedding, but it doesn't surprise me at all.

This isn't "live and let live."

Gah. My response:

Quote
On further research, it appears that the group that lost its tax breaks in New Jersey was not a church, but the "Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association," which is affiliated with the Methodist Church but is not its own parish. It was certified by the Green Acres Program, which seeks to make privately held land available for public recreation, not under the religious exemption rules. Additionally, 99% of the land owned by the OGCMA was re-certified; they only lost their tax exempt status for the pavilion in question. I wasn't able to find any news on whether it was re-instated since 2007, when this event occurred.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/18/nyregion/18grove.html

If the pavilion were owned by a church proper, which was certified tax-exempt under the house of worship exemption, this truly would have been an outrage. As it happened, you may still be outraged, but the issue is slightly less black-and-white than it appeared in the article to which you linked.

But honestly, why do I bother?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on June 27, 2011, 02:46:42 am
I think if people are spreading lies as facts, it is always worth the bother. You may not ever change that guy's mind, but if you've made him uncomfortable about passing on that particular link again, you're doing a service.

Bullshit won't go away if you ignore it, you know? Not that kind of bullshit, anyway.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 27, 2011, 02:48:03 am
I just could not let the shoddy, unsourced, biased journalism slide. It irked me.

Anyway, we went back and forth for an hour and he removed the whole post -- status line, links, comments, and all. Pedro says that means I won the argument? I guess that's...good?

If this is what winning on the internet is usually like, I really think you guys have spoiled me.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2011, 03:43:35 am
I had a wonderful conversation last night with a friend, who has a gay daughter (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5875267713/in/photostream), about how it was never an issue in their household and that even her redneck father never showed anything other than total acceptance.  It was refreshing.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on June 27, 2011, 03:10:32 pm
friend, who has a gay daughter (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5875267713/in/photostream),


The daughter looks really high.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2011, 06:40:08 pm
The daughter looks really high.

It's possible, although she didn't seem high IRL.  Anyway, that's just another thing that should be no big deal in this country.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 27, 2011, 08:48:43 pm
My old pal's dad used to be heavily involved with that Ocean Grove organization. Not sure if he still is. He runs a polling organization that apparently asks unbelievably leading questions, and yet is still cited as legit. Also: founded ESPN.

Nice family, despite gross beliefs and behaviors.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 28, 2011, 04:19:12 am
this black man on my bus was saying that he thinks the TSA should use racial profiling so that "the rest of us" can travel in comfort.

this, combined with anything Israel has ever done, makes me think that humans are incapable of learning anything, ever.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on June 28, 2011, 06:03:50 am
this black man on my bus was saying that he thinks the TSA should use racial profiling so that "the rest of us" can travel in comfort.

You ask him if he could shift back so you could take the front seat? You know, for comfort?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 28, 2011, 06:22:13 am
yeah, I was imagining making a comment like that, but obviously that could only end badly.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 03, 2011, 06:51:51 am
had a long conversation with a grumpy-friendly (gruff?) man at work. It was really nice, but he kept winding me up with these scary sentences and then finishing with things like
"well, I didn't vote for him, but I don't blame the economy or the wars on Obama, he inherited it and I think he's doing the best he can with a split legislature."

It is weird that I can meet a guy who doesn't seem that old, who got his first job the year my dad was born and got back from Vietnam in 1968. I guess that's only 20 years before I was born.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on July 03, 2011, 08:00:37 am
Hey, look what I found in the spam box!

This is being used to target the current administration, which is just bullshit because they all plunge their hands elbow deep in OPM.

hate



Seriously. How many days of work did the last guy miss? Jesus I hate that stupid shit.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on July 03, 2011, 09:33:36 am
Frankly, I'm surprised that Michelle Obama's security detail is only 70.  That number seems small.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on July 03, 2011, 01:56:24 pm
I wish, how I wish, that they would just say fuck you to the haters and have their security handled by these guys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_of_Islam).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on July 11, 2011, 11:13:31 pm
Quote
Is this your insurance company?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/peterlewis.asp

PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE is owned by Peter Lewis: Who is he? Read this...VERY IMPORTANT INFO TO PASS TO EVERYONE CONCERNED ABOUT THEIR COUNTRY.

You’ve seen and smiled at the Progressive Insurance TV commercials.
Well, you’re about to learn the rest of the story:

PROGRESSIVE AUTO INSURANCE

You know their TV commercials, the ones featuring the
ditsy actress all dressed in white. What you might not know is that the Chairman of Progressive is Peter Lewis, one of the major funders of leftist causes in America . Between 2001 and 2003, Lewis funneled $15 million to the ACLU, the group most responsible for destroying what's left of Americas Judeo-Christian
heritage.  Lewis also gave $12.5 million to MoveOn.org
and American Coming Together, two key propaganda arms of the socialist left.His funding for these groups was conditional on matching contributions from George Soros, the America-hating socialist who is the chief
financier of the Obama political machine.

Lewis made a fortune as a result of capitalism, but now finances a progressive movement that threatens to destroy the American free enterprise system that is
targeting television shows on Fox News.

Peter Lewis is making a fortune off of conservative Americans (who buy his auto insurance) that he applies
to dismantle the very system that made him wealthy. He's banking on no one finding out who he is, so, STOP buying Progressive Insurance and pass this information on to all your friends.

Verify at Snopes http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/peterlewis.asp
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/a/aclu-lewis.htm

And to think, I only chose Progressive because they didn't have an irritating duck or an even more irritating gecko as a spokesperson.  Now I know it's because I secretly hate America.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on July 12, 2011, 01:40:44 am
And we all know only conservatives buy auto insurance because filthy liberals figure the gubmint will pay for any wrecks they get in.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 12, 2011, 05:34:04 am
I am pretty sure that dude just gets stoned in a boat somewhere in international waters most of the time.  At least that was the news when I was in high school.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on July 16, 2011, 09:34:24 pm
They are getting desperate.

Quote
A SLEEPER AMONG US :  This is a very interesting article!
 
Obama: Where are his girl friends?????

Where are his girl friends????? Strange that none have popped up!!!!  Strange to the point of being down right WEIRD!

OK... this is past the 'birthers' questions.... this is just plain old common sense, no political agendas for either side.

Just common knowledge for citizens of a country, especially American citizens, who even know that Andrew Jackson's wife smoked a corn cob pipe and was accused of adultery, or that Lincoln never went to school or Kennedy wore a back brace or Truman played the piano.

We are Americans! We are known for our humanitarian interests and caring for our 'fellow man.' We care, but none of us know one single humanizing fact about the history of our own president.

Honestly, and this is a personal thing...but it's niggled at me for ages that no one who ever dated him ever showed up. The simple fact of his charisma, which caused the women to be drawn to him so obviously during his campaign, looks like some lady would not have missed the opportunity....

We all know about JFK's magnetism, McCain was no monk, Palin's courtship and even her athletic prowess were probed. Biden's aneurisms are no secret. Look at Cheney and Clinton--we all know about their heart problems. How could I have left out Wild Bill before or during the White House?

Nope... not one lady has stepped up and said, "He was soooo shy," or "What a great dancer!" Now look at the rest of this.... no classmates, not even the recorder for the Columbia class notes ever heard of him.

I just don't know about this fellow.

Who was the best man at his wedding? Start there. Then check groomsmen. Then get the footage of the graduation ceremony.

Has anyone talked to the professors? It is odd that no one is bragging that they knew him or taught him or lived with him.

When did he meet Michele and how? Are there photos? Every president gives to the public all their photos, etc. for their library. What has he released?

And who in hell voted for him to be the most popular man in 2010?????

Does this make you wonder?

Ever wonder why no one ever came forward from Obama's past, saying they knew him, attended school with him, was his friend, etc. ? Not one person has ever come forward from his past.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 16, 2011, 09:55:39 pm
now he has to publish the guest list of his fuck*ng wedding?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on July 17, 2011, 12:35:30 am
I don't remember ever hearing of any of GW Bush's former girlfriends speaking out about him. Or any of his professors bragging about having taught him, though that's less of a surprise.

This is a real reach. Either this person is too young to remember any other administrations with clarity or he's a complete idiot.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Drygioni on July 17, 2011, 02:40:24 am
To be fair, politicians without stories about them smoking a joint/fiddling some expenses/dodging the draft/ploughing their schoolteacher in their teens are almost certainly lizard people or *****s
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on July 17, 2011, 06:54:48 pm
Obama and W.

No former girlfriends and both were cokeheads. This can mean only one thing.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 17, 2011, 10:14:33 pm
Obama and W.

No former girlfriends and both were cokeheads. This can mean only one thing.

that obama isnt really black.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 18, 2011, 01:48:09 pm
Quote
but it's niggled at me for ages

What an INteresting choice of words!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on July 21, 2011, 09:15:50 pm
I just got sent the Ultimate Dog Tease video via email.  Not a link to the original video on Youtube (http://youtu.be/nGeKSiCQkPw), but a windows media file that I had to download to my computer in order to watch.  I don't know if this is significant, but I would like to know how you interpret this.  What does it say about the person that fundamentally doesn't understand how the internet works.  My uncle has a Facebook account, but he is rarely on it.  If you were to ask him he would say he doesn't have time to mess with that, but yet he has time to send all of these stupid ass emails. 

We were complaining in that other thread about how retarded Facebook is becoming.  I guess the retarded people that like to send powerpoint presentations of beautiful locations or the most luxurious palace in the world or some not funny, but somewhat racist joke about the President have finally started to migrate to Facebook. 

But my uncle... No, not my uncle. He still uses the internet like it's 1998. And God bless him for it.  If he were on Facebook he would have seen that ultimate dog tease video months ago, but he was too busy keeping the faith for those few remaining souls that are keeping it real web 1.0 stylez. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on July 21, 2011, 10:08:56 pm
Yeah, I recently got a power point photo email of "amazing photos" that ended with the false claims about this photo being of the tsunami in Indonesia, taken by someone who was moments from death (http://www.snopes.com/photos/tsunami/sumatra.asp).  Having been to Indonesia, I knew that nowhere in Indonesia, especially in the areas hit by the tsunami, looked like a white person's suburb.  What bothers me about this one is how someone went to the effort to block out the photos date stamp.  What compels someone to go to such effort to put forth a blatant lie?  That... that irks me.  It irks me so.

Having met people who survived that tsunami, who wept openly when they shared with me about their experiences and had almost everyone from their village die, I'd like to say "fuck you" to whoever started that bullshit email chain.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on July 22, 2011, 09:05:45 pm
This is relatively minor compared to some of this shit, but it has to be said:

For the love. Of Fuck. People. Google+ is Not. The. Place. To Dump. All your photos. Of your cats. Or dogs. Or Fish.

I have, literally, five posts in a row from three different people with way-too-close-let-the-animal-sniff-the-lens pet photos. Plus a video of someone else's f(http://)ish. For fuck's sake, people, I haven't posted that many pictures of my kids, and I have made every effort to only share them with people who care. So can we lay off the badly framed furball (or...fin...ball?) pics, please?

This is not addressed at you, Wombles. I always enjoy your pet pics, because they are well photographed and your pugs are cute, and also you tend to post one or two every few weeks. I do, however, object to being faced by an entire album of blurry shots of a golden retriever's snout and tongue every time I open my G+ or Facebook stream.

Thank you. Rant complete.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on July 22, 2011, 09:19:01 pm
Despite having just posted in another thread that anything with an animal in it gets a pass, I agree wholeheartedly.

This is maybe something google+ needs to fix, though - usually when people post a zillion photos of their cat on Facebook, I only get one "X added a zillion photos to their album cats too close to the camera."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on July 22, 2011, 11:58:34 pm
This is true. But this one guy -- you'll recognize him as "the Father" if you ever read comments on my posts, dude reads and comments on just about everything -- he is posting pics of his fish individually. Fish! Individually! Multiple pics of the same his aquarium, which he posts as links instead of putting them in an album like a civilized person. And he captions them with their genus and species, just for that extra layer of pretension, I guess.

This is, of course, interspersed with plugs for his self-published book on the Roman/Orthodox schism, and, inexplicably, a half-dozen clips from the Muppet Show in the last few days.

I am really irritated with the Father lately, he is the most annoying person in my FB feed right now, and I have a bunch of "teeeeennnnsssssss LOL OMFG" on my friends list, so that's saying something.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on July 23, 2011, 02:17:07 am
You guys need to not let people get to you so easily.  It's hella easy to gloss over stuff, especially boring stuff. 

Stuff like over-posting pictures and invitations and commenting on a lot of stuff doesn't bother me, almost regardless of content so long as it's original.  It indicates to me that the person cares enough, at least on a minimal level, to share his stuff with me or pay attention to what I say.  It's a mind-bogglingly huge world full of people who do not give a SHIT about me.  There aren't many who care even a little, so I tend to value the few that do.

What does piss me off are game requests and forwarding lame-ass feel good, guiltifying, Jesus wept because you didn't repost this as your status for fifteen minutes K-rap.  Look, if you got something you want to say to me, SAY IT.  Spare me the cutesy bullshit.  And unless you know for a fact that I'm playing the game too, I do not want to hear about it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on July 23, 2011, 09:11:25 pm
I can gloss over text no problem, it's having a bunch of photos that make it hard to find the actual stuff I want to read that bugs me.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on July 26, 2011, 04:21:48 am
Yeah, I was really expecting something better. Don't let your politics get in the way of the funny.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on July 26, 2011, 04:29:54 am
I can gloss over text no problem, it's having a bunch of photos that make it hard to find the actual stuff I want to read that bugs me.

Luckily Google+ is new enough that I haven't seen a whole lot of this. Then again, I'm not very good about keeping up on social networks anyway.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on August 03, 2011, 07:58:05 pm
I . . . have begun to receive "Shit my ________ says" emails from my ex-mother-in-law. So far, it's just been "vodka and ice causes x, rum and ice causes y, whiskey and ice causes z, ice is bad for you"-type stuff, but I'm worried.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 03, 2011, 08:28:31 pm
I . . . have begun to receive "Shit my ________ says" emails from my ex-mother-in-law. So far, it's just been "vodka and ice causes x, rum and ice causes y, whiskey and ice causes z, ice is bad for you"-type stuff, but I'm worried.

Somebody shared that same joke on Facebook less than a week ago.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on August 03, 2011, 08:39:00 pm
Somebody shared that same joke on Facebook less than a week ago.

If somebody did, then 25 million people did.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 03, 2011, 08:45:43 pm
If somebody did, then 25 million people did.

Yes and it's made it to granny's email list quick.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on August 05, 2011, 03:20:28 pm
The authority of fear: 

If the information comes to me from a form of technology I do not understand, and therefore fear, then the information has the authority of the fear it caused me and therefore I may believe I must respect this authority and perpetuate this fear. 

The thing is, when it comes to folks who have fearful and/or confused feelings about techology, they are already experiencing anxiety by using said techology, and the content of such messages validates that fear, so in feeling validated, they pass on this odd form of reinforcement to the next group of people, and sure enough, several of their peers are likewise validated and reinforced.  It seems irrational from the outside, but within the structure itself automatic response is illicted - analytical thought is turned off.  It's pretty interesting from a psychology standpoint.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 05, 2011, 09:52:49 pm
Science!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on August 06, 2011, 06:27:19 am
Facebook status of the commissioner who married my husband and I (ie an adult, probably in her early 60's):

Quote
Needing someone to talk to? How many would actually be there 4 u ? I guarantee not even 1 of my Facebook friends will copy this status. If you would be there for me set this as your status and see how many of us would be there 4 each other! (I did for 1 of my friends) Lets try it out and see. I posted this to show a friend they were wrong. Some one is always listening

Fuck.  Seriously considering an unfriending here.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 06, 2011, 06:45:39 am
I got that from a couple of my friends today.  They are good people in most respects.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 07, 2011, 01:06:05 pm
Those really don't make sense on facebook, where you can easily indicate that your are paying attention by responding to what people post.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on August 08, 2011, 09:15:48 pm
I occasionally respond to those by making up a satirical version of it and posting it as my status.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on August 08, 2011, 09:54:31 pm
Really good status updates that satirize these Facebook memes almost make them all worthwhile.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 09, 2011, 12:44:59 am
I have started posting the comment "#vaguebooking" when someone posts an annoyingly vague status update.  Today's offender was "Seriously?"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 09, 2011, 03:52:52 am
I have started posting the comment "#vaguebooking" when someone posts an annoyingly vague status update.  Today's offender was "Seriously?"

Oh that is good.  Very good sir.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on August 09, 2011, 03:35:00 pm
Satire of the day:

Quote
WARNING : IF SOMEONE COMES TO YOUR FRONT DOOR, ASKS YOU TO REMOVE YOUR CLOTHING , THROW YOUR ARMS UP IN THE AIR AND START DANCING, I BEG YOU , DO NOT DO THIS. ITS A SCAM. I WISH SOMEONE HAD WARNED ME ABOUT THIS YESTERDAY, I FEEL STUPID NOW !!!! PLEASE COPY & PASTE TO SAVE SOMEONE ELSE THE TROUBLE. THANK YOU AND HAVE A GOOD DAY !!

The all caps is a nice touch.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on August 09, 2011, 04:27:21 pm
Got this from my brother-in-law the other day.

Quote
Which side of the fence?
If you ever wondered which side of the fence you sit on, this is a great test!   
If a Republican doesn't like guns, he doesn’t buy one.
If a Democrat doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.     

If a Republican is a vegetarian, he doesn’t eat meat.
If a Democrat is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.     

If a Republican is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.
If a Democrat is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.     

If a Republican is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
A Democrat wonders who is going to take care of him.     

If a Republican doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels.
Democrats demand that those they don't like be shut down.     

If a Republican is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
A Democrat non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.

If a Republican decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it..
A Democrat demands that the rest of us pay for his.     

If a Republican reads this, he'll forward it so his friends can have a good laugh.
A Democrat will delete it because he's "offended".     

Well, I forwarded it.

I especially like the theoreticals. "IF a Republican is a homosexual...IF a Republican doesn't like guns..." I mean, maybe an out, gay Republican *might* just quietly lead his life, but since openly gay Republicans are scarcer than the Easter Bunny I guess we'll never know, will we?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on August 09, 2011, 04:43:20 pm
This is just as full of stereotypes and prejudice as the previous version, but...I couldn't help myself.

Quote
Which side of the fence?
If you ever wondered which side of the fence you sit on, this is a great test!   

If a Democrat likes guns, he buys one legally and keeps its registration up to date.
If a Replublican likes guns, he doesn’t buy one, he buys twenty, and then complains that he had to wait 24 hours and fill out some paperwork to get them.

If a Republican is a vegetarian, he doesn’t eat meat.
If a Democrat is a vegetarian, he volunteers his time to improve the environment and make the food supply safer for people and more humane for animals.

If a Republican is homosexual, he pretends he isn't.
If a Democrat is homosexual, he is confident enough to expect others not to discriminate against him.     

If a Democrat is down-and-out, he applies for assistance from the government, thankful that he paid his taxes during more prosperous times.
If a Republican is down-and-out, he becomes a Democrat.

If a Republican doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels. He turns to Fox News, where he can watch other talk show hosts berate and insult the show he just switched away from.
Democrats demand freedom of the press and an independent media that provides news and information from both sides of the story instead of just one.     

If a Republican is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church any more than necessary to keep up appearances.
A Democrat non-believer wants the freedom to stay home on Sundays without being harassed for his non-belief.

If a Republican decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may be lucky enough to have a college degree so he can qualify for a job that provides it.
A Democrat offers to pay higher takes so that those who can't afford it and don't have jobs that provide it can still be covered.

If a Republican reads this, he'll probably delete it because he's offended.
A Democrat will delete it because he knows better than to send stupid shit like this to his family and friends.     
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on August 09, 2011, 08:08:12 pm
The second asshole is me. Not that I believe that shit, mind you -- some of my best friends are Republicans -- I just wanted to experiment with what it would look like from the other side of the same distorted lens.

Asshole-ish? Yeah. But it made me feel better, and I know y'all won't judge me for it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on August 10, 2011, 04:32:36 pm
My SIL posted this on Facebook. It's a gem:

Quote
Lets all play a drinking game. Whenever we read or hear the word "economy" we drink. We'll be dead by morning.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on August 10, 2011, 05:00:08 pm
Don't forget alcohol is a depressant. Much like the economy.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 10, 2011, 05:49:50 pm
Don't forget alcohol is a depressant. Much like the economy.

a lot of people add redbull to their alcoholic beverages so they can be hyper and slanty at the same time.  what would be an economic equivalent to that?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 10, 2011, 07:56:35 pm
should i?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on August 10, 2011, 08:26:28 pm
a lot of people add redbull to their alcoholic beverages so they can be hyper and slanty at the same time.  what would be an economic equivalent to that?

Stagflation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagflation).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on August 11, 2011, 02:04:40 am
If a Republican is homosexual, he pretends he isn't.
If a Democrat is homosexual, he is confident enough to expect others not to discriminate against him.     

If a Democrat is down-and-out, he applies for assistance from the government, thankful that he paid his taxes during more prosperous times.
If a Republican is down-and-out, he becomes a Democrat.

You nailed these two.

I remember after my very economically conservative friend got married and had kids he had to accept some federal assistance to pay for school. Not just loans, but grants. Free money! He'd never had a high paying job so he had paid very little in taxes up to that point. We're good enough friends that I could ask him how he could justify it, and he just kinda shrugged. But yeah, he got a little softer on social assistance after that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on August 11, 2011, 05:32:44 pm
We got one chowderhead at work who loves to hoot and laugh about "the 99ers" (the folks who are going to suck at the gov't unemployment teat for 99 weeks). Every meeting we have, he jabbers about it for the five minutes before the meeting starts. Well, we always get these young engineers fresh out of college, too - an as you can imagine, they have taken a very different path to get here than the folks (like me) who worked their way up through the manual labor ranks. So this older guy is doing his little 99er giggle, and this young guy. totally guilelessly, starts talking about how he thought unemployment is great and how it really helped him out when he was going to college and needed to study and couldn't hold a job. It was so awesome to see this other guy confronted with a co-worker sort of putting it in his face, but just as nice as he could be about it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on August 12, 2011, 01:06:14 am
I think he got laid off, but I'm not sure. He was a pretty entitled-feeling little shit, so it's not like his nose was to the grindstone or anything. Having said all that, he's a productive member of society now, so I guess it worked the way it's supposed to, more or less.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on August 15, 2011, 07:04:54 pm
This (http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2011/08/14/a-citation-from-the-fat-police/) reminds me of some of the conversations around my office.  We're a very food-centric office, someone's always bringing in something they or their partner has made to share.  What a kind, considerate thing to do, right?  The food is typically placed on a file cabinet right next to my desk, so I get all the shame spiralling on full display as people eat.  Watching people talk about how "bad" a food is while they eat a whole bunch of it has really taught me a lot about how unhealthy people's attitudes toward food and eating are in our culture.  As people self-shame I repeat my new mantra "food isn't poison" (http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/food-isnt-poison/) (aloud) or list off some of the "positive" nutritional contents of whatever food the person/people are shaming on, such as calcium and protein in cheesecake.   I hate to say it, but the typical culprits for such behavior are mostly ladies.  
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 15, 2011, 10:13:44 pm
I have that same problem with smokers.  While that mantra wouldn't work, it is the same thing.  It seems like half the people smoke cigarettes just to bitch about wanting to stop smoking.  If you are trying to quit I am all for that and will encourage you (as someone who understands facts, such as smoking is awful for you.)  On the other hand, as someone who legitimately loves smoking, fuck you if you just complain about wanting to quit and never, ever do anything to work towards that.  I smoke because I like smoking, and I generally think people should do something because they like it.  The only time in my life I have ever quit smoking is when I was living with three dudes (myself included) in a tiny apartment.  I slept on the floor right next to a futon that one of the other dudes slept on.  This guy was constantly talking about how he needed to stop, so I eventually cracked and just said fuck you, this is my last cigarette for a month.  I lasted three weeks, but at least I showed him that you can do shit instead of just bitching.  I also only went back because of a particular stimulant that can go unnamed, so that is pretty understandable, and certainly was understandable/ didn't undo the point for him.

I know there are at least a few people on here who specialize in this type of thing, so:  the hardest thing about stopping smoking for me was looking at myself as a non-smoker.  Is this a common thing that has to be broken in addicts?  Not even the act of smoking, just presenting myself to the world in an alternate way.  I am comfortable in the smoker role.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on August 15, 2011, 11:41:33 pm
Quitting smoking was one of the most fucked experiences of my life. I'm glad I did it, but it was awful.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 15, 2011, 11:51:11 pm
Yeah, I get it's hard and give people trying support, but you know those people who only smoke to complain about smoking and aren't actually going to quit- ugh
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on August 16, 2011, 12:13:10 am
Complaining is delicious - it is made of baby tears.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 16, 2011, 12:29:11 am
plus, you can be self-righteously indignant about not being able to smoke inside anywhere public.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on August 16, 2011, 01:10:48 am
I sort of half-assedly tried to quit for a number of years, and I managed to get down to the point where I was having a couple of cigs (after not smoking all day) with a beer after supper. Then I got pregnant and that was all the motivation I needed, apparently. It also helped that I wasn't drinking; to this day, when I got to a bar, I want to smoke. Which sucks because all bars are nonsmoking here now, unless they have patios. (Many do, but that doesn't do much good when it's over 90 or under 40.)

I'd rather smoke than drink any day; when I go out with the girls (twice a year?), I get myself a pack of cigs and order diet cokes all night and do all the driving. I really enjoy a good cigarette, even now.

But I don't *need* it like I used to. I was a pack-and-a-half-a-day smoker in college; now I smoke, like I said, maybe twice a year, and I savor every puff.

I still consider myself, generally, a non-smoker, though. It is a shift in your mentality to stop thinking of yourself as a smoker, it does become part of your identity, especially if you belong to a social group in which the majority smokes.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on August 16, 2011, 02:29:06 am
I used to really enjoy smoking, but never formed a habit. I smoked for an entire month when I was in Germany and gave it up when I got back home. For a few years after that, if I was out drinking and someone offered a cigarette, I would gladly accept and enjoy it immensely. Then I just didn't smoke at all for a long time. Last time I tried to smoke, sometime last year, I almost threw up.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on August 16, 2011, 03:07:40 am
I know there are at least a few people on here who specialize in this type of thing, so:  the hardest thing about stopping smoking for me was looking at myself as a non-smoker.  Is this a common thing that has to be broken in addicts?  Not even the act of smoking, just presenting myself to the world in an alternate way.  I am comfortable in the smoker role.

Yes, definitely.  The use of a substance can easily become associated with someone's identity.  My friend has recently quit smoking after half a lifetime of doing it and she's worried about identity issues "it was the only thing that made me cool."  I assured her that plenty of things made her cool, but that if she liked, she could do other things to make her feel more cool such as getting more tattoos.  She thought it was a pretty funny idea and we talked about how irrational but funny it would be that she could get a tattoo gun and just tattoo herself whenever she felt like a loser.  It was interesting to me that she said that, because I never considered smoking as something that makes my friend or others cool - I consider it the opposite.  Still though, there are groups of people who are peers because they are smokers, crack users, pot heads...  There's a nice feeling of acceptance there among the peer group.  I certainly was a part of a peer group as a heavy pot user at one point.  I had a lot of "friends" who I actually had little in common with apart from our mutual enjoyment of pot use.  It's sort of like being at a concert - you feel a strong sense of oneness, like-mindedness and coolness with your fellow audience members at the time of the show, when really you wouldn't necessarily enjoy most of the same people's company in another setting, and they wont necessarily like you outside the shared experience either.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 18, 2011, 11:32:46 pm
(http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq4d8vYDRm1qd8gt3o1_500.jpg)

[[shakes head disapprovingly]]
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on August 18, 2011, 11:34:22 pm
Not ok. Not even clever.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 20, 2011, 07:29:12 pm
I've seen a lot of "You know you're from ______ if..." groups popping up on Facebook.  I guess this is just a continuation of the stupidification of Facebook.  I would happily ignore it except I was added to "You know you're from Aldine (that's my alma mater) if..." 

I just happened across this gem.

"You know you're from Aldine: If you really liked Elton John and Queen's music for years before you learned they were gay."

which inevitably led to this...
"I still love them! I still love all the old music from then. The Eagles, and ZZ-Top. Bad Company, Edgar Winters, Johnny Winters, Deep Purple... alot of good music.  We are THE generation that was blessed with the best music."

And finally we got to this...
"Thnx, Joe. Journey is my all-time forever and ever favorite."

"Oh, yeah! NO one can replace Steve Perry!"

I've never been to any of my reunions.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on August 20, 2011, 07:38:01 pm
I quite enjoyed your post, roughly "you know you're from Aldine if you couldn't wait to get the fuck out".
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 20, 2011, 07:51:07 pm
I quite enjoyed your post, roughly "you know you're from Aldine if you couldn't wait to get the fuck out".

No doubt.  Oh and while we're on the subject.  Lady who I dated 20 something years ago who cheated on me and stole 800 dollars.  No, I don't want to call you and catch up on old times.  I only accepted your friend request so I could see what you look like now.  Yay, you're old and haggard.   
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on August 21, 2011, 12:50:26 am
No doubt.  Oh and while we're on the subject.  Lady who I dated 20 something years ago who cheated on me and stole 800 dollars.  No, I don't want to call you and catch up on old times.  I only accepted your friend request so I could see what you look like now.  Yay, you're old and haggard.   

Ha ha, oh Paul, I'm glad that someone I consider to be kind did such a thing on Facebook.  Sort of makes me feel better for being secretly pleased when I found FB photos of a guy who broke my heart long ago with his wife.  She has these massive hoss teeth where you see a lot of gum when she smiles, and it wasn't just one photo, but all of them including the pro-wedding shots, which means that's the way her face looks all the time.  I try not to be too pleased about this.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on August 21, 2011, 01:35:18 pm
Lady who I dated 20 something years ago who cheated on me and stole 800 dollars.

Oh man, I don't know what's worse. I mean, one would hurt worse, obviously, but I would get over that. But I would be so fuck*ng pissed if someone stole money from me.

I leant about that much to a girl I dated years ago to buy a laptop, and she took forever to pay me back and only gave me part of it. I wasn't mad because those are the risks of lending to friends. She sent me a couple hundo through paypal couple years ago, and I couldn't bring myself to take it. And I definitely could have used it. Pride thing I guess. Took a lot of satisfaction from it. But for some reason, if she stole it, I could never let it go.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 30, 2011, 11:51:54 pm
Quote
This was written by a black gentleman inTexas and is so funny. What a great sense of humor And creativity!!!

When U Black, U Black
When I was born, I was BLACK ,
When I grew up, I was BLACK ,When I go in the sun, I stay BLACK,When I get cold, I am BLACK ,
When I am scared, I am BLACK ,
When I am sick, I am BLACK ,
And when I die, I'll still be BLACK .

NOW, You 'white' folks......

When you're born, you're PINK ,
When you grow-up, you're WHITE ,
When you go in the sun, you get RED ,
When you're cold, you turn BLUE ,
When you're scared, you're YELLOW ,
When you get sick, you're GREEN ,
When you bruise, you turn PURPLE ,
And when you die, you look GRAY .
So who y'all be callin'
C O L O R E D   Folks?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on September 01, 2011, 08:24:49 am
Isn't that a Chris Rock bit? Or maybe an old Eddy Murphy bit?

Either way there's something vaguely unnerving about his introductory line which capitalizes and, and apparently requires three exclamation points.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on September 01, 2011, 03:32:34 pm
I recently saw the escalator/stairs bit (I think in an online comic) and then days later saw something crediting Mitch Hedberg with it. I wish I could remember where I saw it ganked from him.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 06, 2011, 07:48:46 pm
That's funny terrible, I don't care who you are.

Quote
In South Los Angeles, a Quad-plex was destroyed by a fire. A Mexican Family of six, all welfare recipients and gang members lived on the first floor, and they all died. An Islamic Group of seven welfare cheats, all illegally in the country from Kenya, lived on the second floor, and they too all perished in the fire. Six LA Hispanic Gang Bangers from LA, and Three Ex-cons, lived on the 3rd floor and they too died.
 A lone White Couple lived on the top floor.  They both survived the fire.
               
 Jesse Jackson, John Burris and Al Sharpton were furious.  They flew into LA and met with the Fire Chief, on camera.  They loudly emanded to know why all the Blacks, Muslims and Hispanics died in the fire and why only the White Couple lived ???
 
The Fire Chief said, "They were both at work."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on September 06, 2011, 08:05:47 pm
Posted on Facebook by some dolt I went to high school with:

Quote
SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT ... If you cross the North Korean border illegally, you get 12 yrs. hard labor. If you cross the Afghanistan border illegally, you get shot. Two Americans just got eight years for crossing the Iranian border. If you cross the U. S. border illegally you get a job, a drivers license, food stamps, a place to live, health care, housing & child benefits, education, & a tax free business for 7 yrs ...No wonder we are a country in debt.

Ignoring all the factual misstatements, are you really saying that we should strive to follow the great examples set by North Korea, Afghanistan and Iran?  So we can be more like them?  Really?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 06, 2011, 08:16:14 pm
Roughly 90% of the time, any time anyone starts with "SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT," they're about to write something that at best ignores all the subtlety and nuance of the original position in favor of confirming their own biases, and at worst is completely idiotic.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 09, 2011, 01:17:52 am
Just for balance I thought I'd share this as I actually chuckled a little bit at the end.

Quote
I would like to share with you an experience I recently had regarding drinking and driving. As you would know, most of us have had brushes with the law on our way home before.  Well I for one, have done something about it. The other night I was out for dinner and a few drinks with some friends. Having had a few too many beers and knowing full well I was struggling, I did something Ive never done before... I took a bus home.  I arrived home safely and without incident, which was a real surprise as I have never driven a bus before.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 09, 2011, 01:40:19 am
Man, now I want to drive a bus...

Me too.  I really want to drive a big rig.  That looks like fun.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 09, 2011, 08:50:37 am
They still think the President was born in Kenya (http://touamb.com/index.php)

Quote
Subject: Fwd: OBAMA ADMITS HE WAS BORN IN KENYA

Wonder if this is true?


He made this statement before he learned that he had to be a
natural born citizen in this country to be a candidate for the presidency.
His backers try to make this an issue of RACE.....IT'S NOT!
HE ADMITS....RIGHT ON CAMERA....THAT HE'S NOT
A CITIZEN OF THE UNITED STATES!
By virtue of that, he is ineligible to sit in the office of the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!!

Circulate this before it is pulled from the internet.

 If you just watch the first 30 seconds your mouth will drop open.

 Obama admits he is not a citizen

THE AMAZING PART OF THIS TRAVESTY IS AMERICANS CONTINUE ALLOWING THEMSELVES TO BE RULED BY AN ILLEGAL ALIEN..
Watch it before it’s pulled!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwhKuunp8D8&feature=player_embedded <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwhKuunp8D8&feature=player_embedded>
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on September 09, 2011, 04:38:50 pm
They still think the President was born in Kenya (http://touamb.com/index.php)


I was really hoping that was a Rick Roll.

Ash, after a lesson on the Vietnam war, my dad's students greeted him the following morning by chanting, "Hey, Hey, Mr. K., How many kids did you kill today?" (He has a reputation as a hard-ass.) He thought it was pretty hilarious.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 09, 2011, 04:45:04 pm
Was used at Grover Cleveland in regards to his little bastard issues. This shit's been going on a long time.

But... Grover Cleveland really did have an illegitimate child.  And most of the rest of that stuff you mentioned has at least some basis in truth as well. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on September 09, 2011, 06:13:44 pm
In reverse of all the dickishness out there, working around a lot of people who respect every creature can also have it's pitfalls.  I understand that it is culturally part of our traditional teaches to respect all creatures and life, however now that fall is coming flies have started coming into my office, and the more traditional of my coworkers are opposed to killing them.  This leads to horrible annoyance of flies buzzing around my head and face on occasion.  I'm currently in the office with a big hoss fly whomping into the windows, and I am so fighting the urge to roll up a magazine and deal with the situation. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on September 09, 2011, 06:15:32 pm
Are those people all vegetarians? Because if not, I say you crush the little fucker.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on September 09, 2011, 09:24:53 pm
Ha!  Look like a fly, while protecting yourself from flies.

As for traditional practices in regard to eating animals, traditionalists believe animals are only to be killed if absolutely necessary for the intended purposes of nourishment, clothing and shelter.  When an animal is to be killed, prayers of thanks are said, the animal is treated in a way that is respectful and great effort is gone to to ensure no part of the animal is wasted.  For example the traditional method of tanning a moose hide uses the animal's brains to treat the hide.  There's also a lot of effort to provide life to the spirit of the animal after it's been killed - for example when using deer hide to make a drum, once the drum is fully dried there is a ritual to "wake up" the spirit of the animal, and the drum is then considered "alive," with it's own particular character.  When I assisted one traditional man with making such a drum, we ensured that all the tiny little scrap bits of hide were carefully collected so that he could take the pieces, pray over them and return them to the earth, along with an offering of sacred medicines.

I've actually been meaning to ask one of our elders to educate me on the traditional practices for disposing of leather moccasins, because I've got a pair that's no longer wearable.

Anyway, yeah, it's not like they're just smug assholes who oppose killing a fly while chomping on a Whopper or anything.  If I raised a fuss, they'd share some teaching about how "creator is sending a message" and probably have some age old story about flies that's full of wisdom.

None of this makes a fly buzzing around my head any less annoying though.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on September 09, 2011, 10:30:27 pm
Well, I know almost nothing about totem poles - that's a west coast tradition.  From what little I do know, some of them are made just for artistic expression or story telling purposes, and aren't especially spiritual, so I'm pretty sure you can feel free to make one without worry of being excessively profane or anything. 

... unless you feel compelled to use the Cleveland Indian's logo on the pole for some reason.  That shit is totally racist. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMfryetj5A4) 

... but then  you can "x"  out the eyes, which then makes it  hip hop (http://icisnizz.com/audio.html), which turns the whole thing on it's head. (scroll down for image used by an aboriginal hip hop crew called Dead Indians)

... but if you really want to go the aboriginal hip hop route, I'd suggest having BLTfor lunch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDMXm5VxNmM) and skipping the pole all together.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on September 10, 2011, 12:15:55 am
As for traditional practices in regard to eating animals, traditionalists believe animals are only to be killed if absolutely necessary for the intended purposes of nourishment, clothing and shelter. 

Well, you can't get food, clothing and shelter unless you can concentrate on doing your work to earn a paycheck, right?

But, you know where I'm coming from, I've fed so many live bugs to other animals that if I get to heaven and the invertebrates are in charge, I am totally screwed.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on September 12, 2011, 11:19:59 pm
Quote from: Facebook Friend
“If there is a problem somewhere this is what happens. Three people will try to do something concrete to settle the issue. Ten people will give a lecture analysing what the three are doing. One hundred people will commend or condemn the ten for their lecture. One thousand people will argue about the problem. And one person – only one – will involve themselves so deeply in the true solution that they are too busy to listen to any of it. Which person are you?”

Well clearly you're the asshole that posts self-righteously about it on facebook. Good Job!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 12, 2011, 11:21:37 pm
Ok, that's going straight to Facebook.  Have a can.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 12, 2011, 11:22:53 pm
Okay, nevermind, I got cold feet and didn't do it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 13, 2011, 12:46:46 pm
I posted "Oh my God Rick Perry is going to be our next President" on Facebook.  This got a variety of responses as you might imagine, but it also started a debate of sorts.  One of my friends, he's actually the ex boyfriend of one of my friends. I should probably unfriend him but he tried to save my life one time and I kinda feel grateful to him in a weird way.  I mean, I didn't need saving, but he thought I did and came to my aid (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5151847262/).  So that still counts as doing a good deed, right?  Well he's debating, a few of my friends have challenged him, but I'm staying out of it for the most part.  And even though it's pretty wacko stuff it's been civil thus far so I don't mind.

In one post he said, among other things "deport all illegal aliens" and "I would support Marco Rubio (for President)."  I replied, "In your perfect world you would elect Marco Rubio President and deport his parents."  I thought that was a pretty clever reply.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on September 13, 2011, 02:56:31 pm
In one post he said, among other things "deport all illegal aliens" and "I would support Marco Rubio (for President)."  I replied, "In your perfect world you would elect Marco Rubio President and deport his parents."  I thought that was a pretty clever reply.

So it was. A can for you, sir!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on September 13, 2011, 08:12:39 pm
At a team meeting this morning, a coworker spouted something so racist that I burst into shocked laughter (as did several coworkers) then I called her on what she had said.  Is said "I'm pretty sure that if he's a member of the legislature he considers Canada his home country."  She left the meeting crying saying "if you aren't going to listen to me, then I'm leaving."  This coworker has melt downs on the regular, and knowing her patterns I know she will eventually have a follow-up confrontational blow up with me.  Considering she sits about 6ft from me, I know it's coming soon as she's already gone though crying at her desk, avoiding me, repeatedly sighing and now she's smudging with sage.  Have I mentioned that burning traditional medicines in a confined, unventilated office space is awesome?  It's also a really great way for someone who's feeling ostracized to cry for attention.  How many times has someone asked "what's burning" or "is something on fire" in the past 15 minutes?  I'm up to four so far.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on September 13, 2011, 08:36:19 pm
Have I mentioned that burning traditional medicines in a confined, unventilated office space is awesome?  It's also a really great way for someone who's feeling ostracized to cry for attention.  How many times has someone asked "what's burning" or "is something on fire" in the past 15 minutes?  I'm up to four so far.

This is completely hilarious. It makes me want you to write a TV show. The Real Drama Queens of Manitoba, or some such.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 13, 2011, 11:02:09 pm
This is completely hilarious. It makes me want you to write a TV show. The Real Drama Queens of Manitoba, or some such.

it would be on A&E right after Celebrity Rehab: Las Vegas Strip.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on September 14, 2011, 05:56:30 pm
Presented without comment:

Quote
Please copy & paste this to your status if you are constantly being asked to copy & paste something to your status by friends who copy & paste things to their status. Many people won't copy & paste this but my true sarcastic friends will copy & paste it because they know this was copied & pasted from a dear friend in need of more stuff to copy & paste.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 15, 2011, 03:48:25 am
transcribed as initially heard:

1: I know this will sound gross, but it smells like anal sex in here.
me: what.
1. you know, anal sex. It smells like anal sex, I think it was that woman who just left.
me. um.
1. ?? I don't know, maybe you don't know that smell. My dog's anal sacs get jammed up and I have to "express" them for him, it smells really bad.
me: oh, wow.
1. yeah, it's gross, but otherwise they can get infected and stuff. his anal sacs.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on September 15, 2011, 04:47:28 pm
I'm not sure whether the story gets any less awkward with the revelation that your coworker fingers his dog.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 15, 2011, 05:13:30 pm
You sure he doesn't use a match? (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02212003)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on September 15, 2011, 10:51:13 pm
Ha!  Look like a fly, while protecting yourself from flies.

As for traditional practices in regard to eating animals, traditionalists believe animals are only to be killed if absolutely necessary for the intended purposes of nourishment, clothing and shelter.  When an animal is to be killed, prayers of thanks are said, the animal is treated in a way that is respectful and great effort is gone to to ensure no part of the animal is wasted.  For example the traditional method of tanning a moose hide uses the animal's brains to treat the hide.  There's also a lot of effort to provide life to the spirit of the animal after it's been killed - for example when using deer hide to make a drum, once the drum is fully dried there is a ritual to "wake up" the spirit of the animal, and the drum is then considered "alive," with it's own particular character.  When I assisted one traditional man with making such a drum, we ensured that all the tiny little scrap bits of hide were carefully collected so that he could take the pieces, pray over them and return them to the earth, along with an offering of sacred medicines.

I've actually been meaning to ask one of our elders to educate me on the traditional practices for disposing of leather moccasins, because I've got a pair that's no longer wearable.

Anyway, yeah, it's not like they're just smug assholes who oppose killing a fly while chomping on a Whopper or anything.  If I raised a fuss, they'd share some teaching about how "creator is sending a message" and probably have some age old story about flies that's full of wisdom.

None of this makes a fly buzzing around my head any less annoying though.

You coulda eaten it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 15, 2011, 11:15:51 pm
You coulda eaten it.

i wonder if an insectivorous plant is an option?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on September 16, 2011, 12:57:17 am
The lady I made cry came back to work having come to terms with herself and was acting less ookey.  Today she asked one of my white coworkers:  If an aboriginal lady went bathing suit shopping drunk, or a Caucasian lady went bathing suit shopping drunk, who do you think would get thrown out first?  The white coworker was clearly made uncomfortable by this and said she wouldn't discuss it, so I piped in "I want to know why these two ladies went bathing suit shopping drunk!"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 16, 2011, 01:13:25 am
If an aboriginal lady went bathing suit shopping drunk, or a Caucasian lady went bathing suit shopping drunk, who do you think would get thrown out first?

This could be the next hit reality tv show.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 16, 2011, 01:14:04 am
The lady I made cry came back to work having come to terms with herself and was acting less ookey.  Today she asked one of my white coworkers:  If an aboriginal lady went bathing suit shopping drunk, or a Caucasian lady went bathing suit shopping drunk, who do you think would get thrown out first?  The white coworker was clearly made uncomfortable by this and said she wouldn't discuss it, so I piped in "I want to know why these two ladies went bathing suit shopping drunk!"

troublemaker!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on September 16, 2011, 01:37:10 am
The lady I made cry came back to work having come to terms with herself and was acting less ookey.  Today she asked one of my white coworkers:  If an aboriginal lady went bathing suit shopping drunk, or a Caucasian lady went bathing suit shopping drunk, who do you think would get thrown out first? 

So this is her acting less ookey?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 16, 2011, 03:47:49 am
bathing suit shopping while drunk?

That sounds like the set-up for a funny joke.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on September 16, 2011, 01:02:38 pm
So this is her acting less ookey?

Well, less ookey toward me anyway.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 22, 2011, 07:15:38 pm
Welp, let's see if my uncle can take a hint (http://youtu.be/KCSA7kKNu2Y).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 26, 2011, 07:51:34 pm
Welp, let's see if my uncle can take a hint (http://youtu.be/KCSA7kKNu2Y).

I think I hurt his feelings.  But he has stopped sending me junk.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on September 26, 2011, 10:11:10 pm
I think I hurt his feelings.  But he has stopped sending me junk.

Sometimes it has to be done. Guy at work used to talk my fuck*ng ear off, every time I saw him. One time we were in the chow line, and he was babbling at me from five spots back, when I turned toward him and said "Eric, do you ever think anything you don't say?" He didn't talk to me for about six months after that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 27, 2011, 03:14:35 pm
Well I've gotten rid of my uncle, apparently, but on rare occasions I still get mail from one other person.

Quote

Read
Alone.....

Especially the Poem

I believe whatever is in store for

us will be for us.


   










The poem is very true, unfortunately.

Make sure you read the poem!



CASE 1: Kelly Sedey had one wish,

for her boyfriend of three years,

David Marsden, to propose to her.

Then one day when she was out

to lunch David proposed!

She accepted, but then had to leave


because she had a meeting in 20 min.

When she got to her office,
! !
she noticed on her computer she had some e-mail's.

She checked it, the usual stuff

from her friends, but then she saw one

that she had never gotten before.

It was this poem. She simply deleted it

without even reading all of it.

BIG MISTAKE! Later that evening,

She received a phone call from the police

It was about DAVID! He had been in an accident


with an 18 wheeler. He didn't survive!



CASE 2: Take Katie Robinson She received this poem

and being the believer that she was

she sent it to a few of her friends but

didn't have enough e-mail addresses to send out

the full 5 that you must.

Three days later, Katie went to a masquerade ball.

Later that night when she left to get to her car,

she was killed in that spot by a hit-and-run drunk driver.



CASE 3: Richard S. Willis sent this poem out

within 45 minutes of reading it.

Not even 4 hours later walking along the street

to his new job interview with a really big company, !


when he ran into Cynthia Bell,

his secret love for 5 years. Cynthia came up to him

and told him of her passionate crush on him

that she had had for 2 years.

Three days later, he proposed to her and they got married.

Cynthia and Richard are still married

with three children, happy as ever!



This is the poem:

Around the corner I have a friend,


In this great city that has no end,


Yet the days go by and weeks rush on,

And before I know it, a year is gone.


And I never see my old friends face,


For life is a swift and terrible race,


He knows

I like him just as well,

As in the days when I rang his bell.

And he rang mine but we were younger then,

And now we are busy, tired men.

Tired of playing a foolish game,

Tired of trying to make a name.

'Tomorrow' I say! 'I will call on Jim

Just to show that I'm thinking of him.'

But tomorrow comes and tomorrow goes,

And distance between us grows and grows.

Around the corner, yet miles away,

'Here's a telegram sir,' 'Jim died today.'

And that's what we get and deserve in the end.

Around the corner, a vanished friend.

Remember to always say what you mean.

If you Love someone, tell them.

Don't be afraid to express yourself.

Reach out and tell someone what they mean to you.

Because when you decide that it is the right time

it might be too late.

Seize the day. Never have regrets

And most importantly, stay close to your friends

and family, for they have helped

make you the person that you are today.

You must send this on in 3 hours after reading the letter

to 10 other people.

If you do this, you will receive unbelievably good luck.

*NOTE*

the more people that you send this to, the better

luck you will have.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on September 27, 2011, 06:25:31 pm
Fuck it, I'm already dead inside.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 27, 2011, 07:01:44 pm
Just out of curiosity, how old would you say the person who sent that to me was?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on September 27, 2011, 07:48:53 pm
Just out of curiosity, how old would you say the person who sent that to me was?

Late 40s.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 27, 2011, 09:01:42 pm
Yeah, that's about right.  She's pushing 60 and female.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on September 28, 2011, 05:19:19 am
Dammit. I hate when I get second choice in the pool.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 02, 2011, 12:42:04 am
The latest trend on Facebook is pics of a famous person from history with a quote that they probably never said.

The one I've seen the most is "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a giraffe by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” attributed to Albert Einstein.  I haven't found any source that can verify or debunk this quote, but it's fake, right?  Einstein was a mathematical genius, but he's morphed into a wise old sage.  Basically he's becoming Yoda.

Another one I've seen a bunch is "Every gun that is fired, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. The world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children." attributed to Dwight Eisenhower.  This one is properly attributed, but it's being used completely out of context.  At least the Democrats aren't just making shit up out of thin air.

I even saw one attributed to Eleanor Rosevelt.  "Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you will be criticized anyway."  I don't know if she actually said this or not, but it sounds kinda trite to me.  

Oh new Facebook, you are so retarded.

Edit:  I just realized what I have to do.  I have to start creating these images.  What kind of treachery can we put into the mouths of our heroes?  I wonder if John Lennon has anything to say about our current financial crisis?  Maybe Elvis Presley has an opinion about having a black president?  Hmm...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 02, 2011, 01:25:51 am
Oh god, don't. I don't think I want to know how easy it is for this shit to be totally made up and go all over the place. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 02, 2011, 01:29:58 am
On the other hand, whether this is a real quote or not, it really needs to be a motivational poster:
Quote
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not just surrounded by assholes." - William Gibson
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 02, 2011, 02:00:14 am
(http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/9915/lotrstarwarsharrypotter.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 02, 2011, 02:09:25 am
Oh my god, that made me giggle. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 02, 2011, 02:51:58 am
OMG, that is so... I don't even know if there is a word for it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 02, 2011, 03:51:31 am
But if you judge a giraffe by its ability to climb a tree

Wait, do you mean giraffe or giraffe?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 02, 2011, 04:59:20 am
JL, I just gave you another can for that poster.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 03, 2011, 01:51:34 am
I wish I could claim responsibility for it. Alas, I'm only the messenger.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 03, 2011, 03:06:19 am
Yes I understand.  If you were the author there wouldn't be enough cans.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 03, 2011, 10:08:09 pm
Edit:  I just realized what I have to do.  I have to start creating these images.  What kind of treachery can we put into the mouths of our heroes?  I wonder if John Lennon has anything to say about our current financial crisis?

Welp, it looks like someone beat me to it.  This just came across my Facebook wall.
(http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/312198_201444039926384_100001823692140_479794_131080967_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 06, 2011, 04:18:38 am
Quote
Feeling good after 5 mile run. Only through God's grace. Three years ago I couldn't run 60 seconds w/o side splitting cramps & fatigue.
I am unhappy that I voted for someone who uses her twitter to constantly post stuff like this. I mean, say whatever you want in your free time, but I kind of hoped her twitter account would inform me about things going on in my ward. Oh well. Resisting the urge to say something like "sure it doesn't have anything to do with running every day in the intervening years?"

This lady today was going on and on about how much she doesn't like St Louis, because she is a small town girl who doesn't understand it, it's so confusing, so overwhelming, why is everything so confusing here, and I just wanted to slap her stupid little face. Go vote for Sarah Palin, you cow. Kept saying she is a Small Town Girl in that "I'm a real American" tone.

Not one of my more charitable impulses. I carried all of her groceries out and told her to enjoy her visit.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on October 06, 2011, 06:59:32 am
This lady today was going on and on about how much she doesn't like St Louis, because she is a small town girl who doesn't understand it, it's so confusing, so overwhelming, why is everything so confusing here, and I just wanted to slap her stupid little face. Go vote for Sarah Palin, you cow. Kept saying she is a Small Town Girl in that "I'm a real American" tone.

I was at a remote placement recently with another (much older) student who kept going on about how she 'understands' rural people and how things were so much more genuine out there. In particular there was some atrocious line about how if we were in the city we'd be drinking out of 'versacci glasses' rather than plastic ones (we were at a bbq at the time), it was all I could do not to go on a rant at her about how poor all my city-dwelling student friends are as compared with the half-million a year earning folks we were bbqing with (not to mention that she was from a private, full fee paying expensive ass uni, rather than my government loan having self).

The overall tone was this weird reverse-elitism about how rural life is more genuine because city folks are all concerned with image or more judgemental, but most of the stuff she was describing that she didn't like about the city came down to not wanting to interact with people who are even slightly different from her. She actually really helped me realise how much I love living in cities and being surrounded by lots of different people all the time.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 06, 2011, 04:15:51 pm
but most of the stuff she was describing that she didn't like about the city came down to not wanting to interact with people who are even slightly different from her.

Yup.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 08, 2011, 04:39:22 pm
but most of the stuff she was describing that she didn't like about the city came down to not wanting to interact with people who are even slightly different from her.

I like cities. I'm a city person. But I do understand this about living the rural life. I gradually get sicker and sicker of dealing with people, and eventually I think I'll end up avoiding them by moving far away.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 08, 2011, 07:27:04 pm
there are rad things about small town life.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 08, 2011, 08:44:23 pm
I haven't heard from my uncle since I sent him a link to that song.

I hope he's not upset with me.

I wonder if I should send him this (http://www.theonion.com/articles/editorial-cartoon-august-3-2009,12408/)?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on October 09, 2011, 12:48:32 am
Lady Liberty is weeping in a trash can.

I wish there was a small town of like minded people I could live with.  I guess until TOUAMB is a place, I'll stay put.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 09, 2011, 01:49:19 am
There might be rad things about small town life but they sure aren't my thing.

I absorbed enough gossip and judgement and secrets and lies and secrets and lies in a small town for a goddamned lifetime.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 09, 2011, 04:50:53 pm
My impression is that it's easier, in a way, to avoid people if you live in a big city. In that big city interactions are at least less personal. I mean, unless I am your cashier and I ask all sorts of questions about your groceries.

Unless your rural life is one of self sufficient hermitude, instead of just living in a small town and being trapped with the same people forever.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 09, 2011, 06:54:34 pm
Yeah, living in a small town is a terrible way to avoid people. You have much more anonymity in a larger city.

Rural living is not the same thing as living in a small town.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 09, 2011, 07:44:37 pm
I'm not big on anonymity, apparently.  I drive around in a one of a kind car and wear a handlebar moustache. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 10, 2011, 03:04:28 am
Yeah... I would like anonymity but at my size and with my features, I cannot get there.

I gotta roll with what I got.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 10, 2011, 11:49:37 am
the easiest way to be anonymous is for no one to give a fuck about you.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on October 10, 2011, 02:15:18 pm
(http://i.imgur.com/IHOZJ.png)

The friend of mine who posted that is a teacher who got married this weekend and is fixin' to burst with her first child. Why can't I unsubscribe from friends of friends' comments on wall posts.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2011, 02:38:01 pm
Today my cousin, who had an asthma attack and spent 3 days in the hospital for it last week (???), and another 2 days at home recovering, and made sure everyone knew (via Facebook) how ill she was, posted: "So glad I have 2 days off...time to hit the bar!!!"

At 7:30 AM.

What the what?!?!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2011, 04:50:04 pm
JL, She might have been joking.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on October 10, 2011, 05:20:38 pm
Almost certainly.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2011, 05:30:52 pm
I thought that at first...but someone else posted "Salad?" and she said, "Drink bar, we had a rough night. Gotta love the [Local Bar]!"

Knowing this particular cousin, I do not think she was joking.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 21, 2011, 04:46:13 am
Dickwad has been posting "I work hard, you have to earn everything you get in life" crap all over facebook.

I know where you went to high school, dickwad. You have had plenty of advantages in life. Also, your little notebook page thing says "I am a college senior." You took six years to graduate?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 21, 2011, 04:54:15 am
Nearly everyone seems to think that everything they have is solely from the sweat of their brow and the font of their genius these days.

This gross misunderstanding of how a society works seems to be the sewer from which so many of America's problems flow.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 21, 2011, 06:19:39 am
This shit stopped for a long time, but it has started again. I have to do something about this.

Quote from: The ex's mother

A  birth certificate shows you were born.
A  death certificate shows you have died.
A  photo album shows you have lived.   
(pic)
Every  month is Breast Cancer Awareness  Month…….
(pic)
Give this  heart to everyone you don't  want to
lose in '2011 including me if you  care.
(pic)
Try to collect  12, it's not easy!
(pic)
'Be  kinder than necessary because everyone you meet  is fighting some kind of  battle.'
(pic)
A  sharp tongue can cut your own throat. 
(pic)
If  you want your dreams to come true, you mustn't  oversleep.
(pic)
Of  all the things you wear, your expression is the  most important.
(pic)
The  best vitamin for making friends......  B1.
(pic)
The  happiness of your life depends on the quality of  your thoughts.
(pic)
The  heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge.. 
(pic)
One  thing you can give and still keep...is your  word.
(pic)
You  lie the loudest when you lie to  yourself.
(pic)
If  you lack the courage to start, you have already  finished.
(pic)
One  thing you can't recycle is wasted  time.
(pic)
Ideas  won't work unless ' You'  do.
(pic)
Your  mind is like a parachute...it functions only  when open.
(pic)
The  10 commandments are not a multiple  choice.
(pic)
The  pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime! 
(pic)
It  is never too late to become what you might have  been.
(pic)
Life  is too short to wake up with regrets.. So love 
the people who treat  you right.. Forget about the
ones who don't.  Believe everything  happens for a reason.
If  you get a second chance, grab it with both  hands. If
it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life 
would be easy, they just promised it would  be
worth it.
(pic)
Friends  are like balloons;
once you let them go, you  might not get them
back. Sometimes we get so  busy with our own
lives and problems that we  may not even notice
that we've let them fly  away. Sometimes we are  so
caught up in who's right and who's wrong  that we
forget what's right  and wrong.. Sometimes we just
don't realize  what real friendship means  until it
is too late. I don't want to let  that happen so
I'm going  to tie you to my heart so I never lose you. 
(pic)
Send  this to all your friends including me and see 
how many you get back.  Even send it to your
balloons that you think  have flown away forever.
You may be  surprised to see it return.
(pic)
Send  this heart to everybody that
has touched  your life in a positive  way.
(pic) 
Thank  you for being in my  life!!!

The  pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime!

What
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 21, 2011, 06:32:17 am
For some reason I keep thinking about how he helped me beat Ocarina of Time. Back then he seemed like a nice guy.

Ugh, there were just so many unpleasant statements in his little thing. Deciding to go to UNC is not, like, a sacrifice. It is good that it is relatively cheap to go there. It is also an amazing school.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on October 21, 2011, 06:49:03 am
nabu that was long so i didn't read much of it but was it about documenting boobs somehow because count me in because tittays
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 21, 2011, 07:23:11 am
Man Nabu, that was some top grade bullshit.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 21, 2011, 09:02:31 am
nabu that was long so i didn't read much of it but was it about documenting boobs somehow because count me in because tittays

I will say that one picture that appeared in there was a braless halter top, so it wasn't all bad. The rest were the kind of things you might have seen on a MySpace page five years ago.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on October 22, 2011, 10:19:07 pm
Oh man, see this is basically the root cause of the death of the greeting card industry.  Not that that is a bad thing.  It used to be that ladies of a certain sensibility would go to the Hallmark store, pick out some card that was sure to make the receiver feel mildly guilty for their lack of attention, and then they'd have to sign it, add a few of their own words and mail them off to some poor person they were associated with who would then feel sort of indebted and uncomfortable about the situation.  Now it's all in the click of a c*ck, and sadly, unlike the greeting card, these emails never come with a cheque in a silly amount that made one feel all-the-more awkward about how much financial value their aunt/granny/etc. placed on them.

In vaguely related news, this is the first year my hubby's all-round-intolerant-of-differences grandma didn't send me a birthday card and cheque made out to "Mrs.(insert hubby's FIRST and last name here)."  I guess she figured out that I don't really need her superior, mildly racist attention, seeing as the last time I saw her was at a funeral two years ago.  In case you're wondering, yes I did cash the cheques, but only because when I didn't cash the first one, she called a couple months later to remind me that I hadn't, while passive aggressively suggesting that I hadn't gotten around to it because I was obviously too busy to call her, and therefore had no time to cash a cheque so maybe she should just send cash.      
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 23, 2011, 02:11:14 am
the click of a penis

if it clicks, you're doing it wrong
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on October 23, 2011, 02:51:47 am
Haven't you ever heard of clicker training?  It's all about positive reinforcement.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 23, 2011, 06:02:40 pm
Hmmm...there might be something to that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZA1-FRf_b8).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 24, 2011, 01:20:14 am
Today my cousin, who had an asthma attack and spent 3 days in the hospital for it last week (???), and another 2 days at home recovering, and made sure everyone knew (via Facebook) how ill she was, posted: "So glad I have 2 days off...time to hit the bar!!!"

At 7:30 AM.

What the what?!?!

Where does she live? Nevada?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 24, 2011, 03:09:23 pm
My comment:  "The Judge said I couldn't"

(http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/320155_2334388813629_1667096376_2277515_2056112308_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 24, 2011, 03:36:25 pm
What makes Paul happy is trolling.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 24, 2011, 03:41:07 pm
What makes Paul happy is trolling.

Actually, no, it doesn't.  Wow, thanks JL, that really makes it clear to me that I need to quit Facebook.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 25, 2011, 07:00:00 pm
The judge said I couldn't isn't really trolling, it's just cracking wise. I thout that this was a perfectly acceptable activity on the internet.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 25, 2011, 07:12:43 pm
Actually, no, it doesn't.  Wow, thanks JL, that really makes it clear to me that I need to quit Facebook.

Oh, dude, I was totally just joshin.' In response to this:

I think I may be becoming a troll
(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6176/6240711865_e2e7d0dd41_o.jpg)

I suppose I'll have gone too far if I post this (http://youtu.be/i8h1rWT_PHA).


Sorry, dude. Please do not quit Facebook. I do not think anyone here is a troll.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on October 25, 2011, 08:19:06 pm
(http://i.imgur.com/cmtmq.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 25, 2011, 10:46:09 pm
Well I may or may not be a troll.  I'll leave that up to the individual to decide.  But I really should cool it on Facebook because the constant flood of meaningless dumb shit is turning me into a Facebook asshole.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on October 26, 2011, 12:43:51 am
Well I may or may not be a troll.  I'll leave that up to the individual to decide.  But I really should cool it on Facebook because the constant flood of meaningless dumb shit is turning me into a Facebook asshole.

You are either a FB asshole or you are part of the problem.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 26, 2011, 12:55:31 am
You are either a FB asshole or you are part of the problem.

Aaaaaammmeeeeeeeeeennnnnn
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 28, 2011, 05:39:42 pm
my facebook feed is full of STL residents talking about how now they're Cardinal fans, that game was so intense. Or even "now I'm a baseball fan."

To be honest, I did enjoy yesterday's game. We were all intoxicated in at least 1 way, and we realized we were all suddenly interested in the game. We have no cable, no radio... so we had to listen to it on the radio on a computer. Enjoyable!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 28, 2011, 06:40:34 pm
I'm a fan of neither team, but that game was fantastic.  One of the great ones.  I might be slightly in favor of STL, but mostly I just don't want Dallas to win.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 28, 2011, 07:19:03 pm
How did this end up here and not in the baseball topic?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 28, 2011, 07:58:00 pm
Just that I thought it was silly how many different people posted something like "after that game, I'm a Cards fan for life. Go birds!"

Now I talked to my dad and he told me this game was One for the Ages. So maybe I'm just a grumpy gus with no historical perspective on baseball.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on October 30, 2011, 04:53:36 am
After posting about the hubby's grandma's birthday card giving ways, I ended up with a belated birthday card from her with some odd rambling and a passive aggressive bit about how "they didn't even tell me about" my hubby's accident.  I don't know who "they" is or why a Belated Birthday card is the place to go on about my hubby's horrible car accident, but yeah, good times.   
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 01, 2011, 11:24:04 pm
my facebook feed is full of STL residents talking about how now they're Cardinal fans, that game was so intense. Or even "now I'm a baseball fan."

To be honest, I did enjoy yesterday's game. We were all intoxicated in at least 1 way, and we realized we were all suddenly interested in the game. We have no cable, no radio... so we had to listen to it on the radio on a computer. Enjoyable!
World Series games are on broadcast television (Fox). You can tuck that one away and thank me next year.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 01, 2011, 11:39:07 pm
I am pretty sure they switch off with TBS now, so he can thank you in two years.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 02, 2011, 12:12:54 am
Nah, Fox has it through 2013. The World Series doesn't switch, but the NLCS and ALCS do. At least that's what wikipedia tells me.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 02, 2011, 12:51:03 am
Oh, my bad.  Could have sworn I couldn't watch the world series last year but I was probably just pissed I had to watch the NLCS instead of the ALCS.  I am an AL man, you see.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 02, 2011, 03:30:40 am
ah, we do not even have a TV antenna. Just a TV hooked up to a dvd player and x-box.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 02, 2011, 07:11:20 am
Quote
So somebody playing on my phone with that prankdail shit lmao bitch get out yo man phone calling private and shit lame ass hoes get a life BITCH

My friend finally figured out what I was missing here:

Quote
So somebody playing on my phone with that prankdail shit, lmao! bitch, get out yo man phone! calling private and shit! lame ass hoes! get a life, BITCH!

I had read it many, many times and could not figure out what was going on in the second half of that post.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on November 02, 2011, 07:53:50 am
I'm still not entirely sure I do.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2011, 06:44:11 pm
Speaking of baseball, my co-worker said game 6 was the best game he's ever seen - and this from a guy who actually has seen his son pitch in the major leagues.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 03, 2011, 05:49:23 pm
OH MY GOD, HOW CAN YOU BE SO RACIST AND BE A SOCIAL WORK STUDENT. WHAT THE FUCK.

i can't even process the things this girl is saying.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on November 03, 2011, 06:24:01 pm
OH MY GOD, HOW CAN YOU BE SO RACIST AND BE A SOCIAL WORK STUDENT. WHAT THE FUCK.

i can't even process the things this girl is saying.

Sometimes people go into social work (or humanitarian work) to "help those less fortunate." Because, in their minds, being born nonwhite is a misfortune.

I want to punch those people sometimes, but there it is. Their heart is in the right place, but their brains are long gone.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 03, 2011, 06:29:54 pm
"Ugh, why does he want to go to this weird restaurant on our first date? Oh, wait, they have Hummus, and he's Lebanese. I guess that's why." (about a restaurant that is really good and is a very good choice for a first date).
Then she, without anyone saying anything, felt the need to "defend" her decision to go on a  date with a Lebanese guy, by saying she really likes learning about other cultures, and plus he has a really good job and makes a lot of money.

Then I tried to suggest restaurants, and she got mad at me for suggesting restaurants. After she loudly talked to herself about which restaurant to go to for the last 20 minutes.

But mostly, the interns all reacted like I am some sort of horrible condescending racist when I said "hm, a lot of people come into my store who are worried about making ends meet, and yet they're buying lots of expensive pre-made food. I wonder if any organizations offer free classes on how to cook frugal meals?"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 03, 2011, 06:36:46 pm
Quote
I don't think that's right, pre-made food is definitely cheaper than homemade food.

I said "it depends what you cook" and got a blank stare.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 03, 2011, 10:48:19 pm
I said "it depends what you cook" and got a blank stare.

I don't think it even depends on what you cook. I think for any given particular dish of any particular quality you can make it cheaper at home. I'm not sure people realize what cheap quality of ingredients goes into most frozen food, for example.  And yeah, it will cost more if you make a rib sandwich at home than if you buy a McRib, but that's because you'd be using real meat and the McRib is made of shreds of leftover carcass soaked in chemicals and formed into a solid object.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 03, 2011, 10:50:13 pm
the McRib is made of shreds of leftover carcass soaked in chemicals and formed into a solid object.

You make it sounds so appetizing.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on November 04, 2011, 01:21:53 am
There are never coupons for fresh produce or store-brand noodles, but that's how you eat cheap, for sures.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: lprkn on November 04, 2011, 01:04:40 pm
...and now I want a McRib. Thanks touamb, thanks for that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 04, 2011, 03:00:21 pm
...and now I want a McRib. Thanks touamb, thanks for that.

Yeah me too.  Goddammit!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 04, 2011, 04:48:22 pm
...and now I want a McRib. Thanks touamb, thanks for that.

You know, you can make your own, as long as you have
shreds of leftover carcass soaked in chemicals
around the house.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 04, 2011, 05:13:17 pm
I been looking at this road-killed raccoon for a day or so now thinking I should go cut me off his tail...now I'm having bigger plans.
Thems good eatin'.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on November 04, 2011, 05:16:24 pm
Thems good eatin'.

Did you take that perk? Mmmmmmm, blood sausage.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 09, 2011, 01:21:37 am
Quote
‎***ATTENTION MEN OF HARLEM*** MY NAME IS NOT "SEXY," "MAMI," "BABY," OR EVEN "DAMN, GIRL." IF ANY ONE OF YOU EVER ATTEMPTS TO TOUCH ME AGAIN, I'LL DO A LOT MORE THAN SMACK YOU ACROSS THE FACE LIKE I JUST HAD TO DO. SO BACK THE FUCK OFF AND LET ME GET MY GROCERIES IN PEACE. AND NO, I DON'T NEED HELP CARRYING THEM.

I sympathize with not wanting to get sexually harassed every time you walk down the street, friend. But I have learned that projecting your frustration onto an entire group of people only leads to a really unhealthy mental state.

maybe I would be less bothered by this post if made by one of my less unreasonable friends.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 29, 2011, 06:10:39 am
Oh man, imagine a life where this is your mom's facebook profile picture (http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/320664_290929067586905_100000094426950_1247910_314126268_n.jpg)
THONG WEDGIE. FACEBOOK PROFILE PICTURE.

(not my mom: my coworker's mom. She also works at our store, but my first thought was of her 17 year old son.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 29, 2011, 04:15:32 pm
"God, LA is horrible. I just moved into this neighborhood called... Compton? Something like that? Anyway, the whole city is bogus"
-What my friend just said about STL, translated into a more universally understood comparison.

Seriously, if you are moving into a city with horrible crime, do some research about different areas before picking an apartment.

...but really, I am worried this girl will get killed/mugged/robbed/kidnapped.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 29, 2011, 10:55:38 pm
Oh man, imagine a life where this is your mom's facebook profile picture (http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/320664_290929067586905_100000094426950_1247910_314126268_n.jpg)
THONG WEDGIE. FACEBOOK PROFILE PICTURE.

(not my mom: my coworker's mom. She also works at our store, but my first thought was of her 17 year old son.)

Well, but is she hot? Even if she isn't, I guess that is indicating that she likes to get rocked sometimes, and that's ok. Double points for almost assuredly making her kid really uncomfortable.

(That picture would be better if her tongue wasn't sticking out or whatever is going on with that area.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 29, 2011, 11:05:10 pm
Mother of a 17 year old is still a young woman.  She just wants to let the world know that she likes to get her bone on.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 29, 2011, 11:16:18 pm
she is not hot.

But seriously: thong wedgie. Are there people out there who do not slap you when you do this? I have accidentally/"accidentally" done things like this before and never got an enthusiastic response.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 30, 2011, 08:28:39 am
You don't have to be hot to want to get your bone on. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 30, 2011, 08:00:10 pm
she is not hot.

But seriously: thong wedgie. Are there people out there who do not slap you when you do this? I have accidentally/"accidentally" done things like this before and never got an enthusiastic response.

I sure don't understand what you are getting at.

She did wrong by having that as her profile picture? Nope. By having a thong wedgie in the picture? Nope. By wanting to fuck and not being attractive to you?

I'm just lost here. You not getting an enthusiastic response doesn't really line up for me with she shouldn't do this. However, there may be something glaringly obvious that I am missing.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on November 30, 2011, 08:23:01 pm
(That picture would be better if her tongue wasn't sticking out or whatever is going on with that area.)
I think that's her full lower lip.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 30, 2011, 08:43:42 pm
No no no.

Are there women who do not slap you when you give them a thong wedgie.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on November 30, 2011, 09:06:38 pm
No no no.

Are there women who do not slap you when you give them a thong wedgie.

I knew I was misunderstanding.

Ash has it right. There are women who will slap you if you do it, and there are women who will slap you if you do it wrong, and then there are women who will not slap you either way. Also, it can be mostly about the drawing of the cloth away from the hip as opposed to the drawing of the cloth into the cleft (sometimes).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 01, 2011, 01:24:34 am
for some reason, my immediate thought is that if I were going to write a parody of men giving each other sex advice on the internet, it would definitely involve the idea that you should very slowly, gently, give your loved one a thong wedgie. AND SHE'LL LOVE IT.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on December 01, 2011, 02:19:59 am
And noogies!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 01, 2011, 05:23:40 am
"ladies think its cute when you give them a 'dutch oven'!"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 02, 2011, 07:20:28 am
A sure sign you are not on the same level with your friends...

Friend posted "There are moments in life when you wish you could bring someone down from Heaven and spend the day with them just one more time, give them one more hug,
kiss them goodbye or hear their voice again, one more chance to say I LOVE YOU."

I posted a link to this (http://pbfcomics.com/126) comic.

A different person posted a link to a Brian McKnight song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz-NhGanOAE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/url).

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 02, 2011, 05:49:52 pm
It's pretty obvious thatThe Onion (http://www.theonion.com/articles/kids-your-mother-is-ready-to-start-fuck*ng-again,11517/) is reading TOUAMB.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on December 02, 2011, 06:26:55 pm
A sure sign you are not on the same level with your friends...

Friend posted "There are moments in life when you wish you could bring someone down from Heaven and spend the day with them just one more time, give them one more hug,
kiss them goodbye or hear their voice again, one more chance to say I LOVE YOU."

I posted a link to this (http://pbfcomics.com/126) comic.

A different person posted a link to a Brian McKnight song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz-NhGanOAE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/url).


You are rad.
It's pretty obvious thatThe Onion (http://www.theonion.com/articles/kids-your-mother-is-ready-to-start-fuck*ng-again,11517/) is reading TOUAMB.
The filter fucks us again.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on December 02, 2011, 07:10:14 pm
It's pretty obvious thatThe Onion (http://www.theonion.com/articles/kids-your-mother-is-ready-to-start-fuck*ng-again,11517/) is reading TOUAMB.
Unfiltr'd! (http://onion.com/9rxYUX)
Kinda pornish, for the prudishly employed

Edit: fix'd
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 02, 2011, 11:48:15 pm
haaaaaa!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2011, 01:34:54 am
Boo...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 03, 2011, 04:49:08 pm
You know the one about the guy with the wooden eye, right?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2011, 05:51:57 pm
You know the one about the guy with the wooden eye, right?

Harelip!  Harelip!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2011, 05:55:10 pm
Harelip!  Harelip!

Did anyone not know this one? That's kind of creepy.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 06, 2011, 07:53:44 am
This dude I know from college is posting about how the UCDavis cops were right to pepper spray those protestors. People are commenting and it kind of makes me fantasize about nuking the planet from orbit.

But note: I think about using violence to solve my frustration, but I don't. BECAUSE I AM AN ADULT.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on December 06, 2011, 09:48:50 am
People are commenting and it kind of makes me fantasize about nuking the planet from orbit.

Only way to be sure.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 10, 2011, 03:45:34 am
Quote
i have not read any of it, but im going to agree with (friend) based on how i feel like the article might be if i read it.

We were having a long debate about an article, and then this friend-of-a-friend dude felt the need to chime in with this.

where (friend) had said that he had half-skimmed the first couple of paragraphs before getting annoyed and closing the window, but this dude's problem is _____


On the other hand, the rest of the discussion consisted of people screaming at me because they think I am shitting on them for having jobs (!?) so maybe I should just give up at the internet.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 13, 2011, 07:46:18 pm
maybe I should just give up at the internet.

You'll always have TOUAMB to come home to.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on December 16, 2011, 04:11:45 am
I won't subject you to the whole e-mail as it was one of those using multiple pages, four font sizes, multiple colours and bolding to say all of 20 words sorts of deals, but my mum just forwarded me a video with this comment:
Quote from: Me old Mum
You can see I am now not working and have too much time on my hands.   With what they can do with digital enhancing now you wonder how much is really real???

I'll let you judge for yourself how much of this is 'really real' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh0CMcLiRkw&feature=share)

I was doubly disappointed because I really like good sleight of hand and this was not that at all.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 16, 2011, 05:24:08 am
That was Uh-mazing!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 16, 2011, 06:33:25 pm
fear of being posted about on this thread is keeping me from saying mean things about the recently deceased.

I can just post this and say, not a fan:

Quote
‎"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selgiraffe. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you."
--Chris Hitchens
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 16, 2011, 06:56:54 pm
Dude was repellent in a lotta ways and a genius in a lotta others.

Give him this: you probably aren't going to find a person alive who agreed with him on every point.

For example, shunning the con of the imaginary transcendent and the ways others try to make you a slave with it, I cannot agree with it more.

And the idea of distrusting compassion, I cannot agree with it less.

He had his own system and he went with it. Happy Trails, strange man.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 16, 2011, 09:54:45 pm
I am a huge, huge fan of the fact that he volunteered to be waterboarded, and came out saying it is absolutely torture. You can't say he wasn't honest to his own ideals, it seems.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on December 17, 2011, 12:21:16 am
I remember him mostly because of the waterboarding thing.  His experience convinced me as well that the practice is torture, along with (perhaps bizzarely) Kari Byron's experience (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFFslAjUyj4) on Mythbusters.
Esophageal cancer, too.  What a horrible death.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on December 17, 2011, 12:45:51 am
He had his own system and he went with it. Happy Trails, strange man.

He was a great writer and always challenged with his work. I really admired the guy and am pretty bummed about it. Rest in peace you bastard.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on December 18, 2011, 01:57:48 am
Somebody on the Straight Dope message board did the water boarding thing once, too. He had been a pretty big fan of it going in, but the opinion did not hold.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 18, 2011, 12:44:07 pm
Somebody on the Straight Dope message board did the water boarding thing once, too. He had been a pretty big fan of it going in, but the opinion did not hold.

lets get pro-death penalty folks to try that same sort of experiment.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 19, 2011, 04:58:23 am
You get caned, er canned for that remark kool aid
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on December 19, 2011, 07:06:03 am
While we're at it, let's put people who are pro-imprisonment in prison.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 19, 2011, 03:46:17 pm
Have they turned blogging into a pyramid scam (http://www.empowernetwork.com/)?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on December 20, 2011, 02:41:01 am
Prison is not a deterrent or a solution. All it does is keep the animals and misfits and crazies from running around pulling their bullshit on the innocent and not so innocent. I say we need to make a choice: after the first short run imprisonment the next problem gets you dead. Or if that's too rich for you, we just lets it slide. Whatever way you want to go is fine by me. But the prison system of punishment is bullshit that don't work.

How about corporal punishment?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 20, 2011, 06:49:13 am
Director: "If I was on LSD, I'd have more sense than you. Get it together child, you're embarrassing the men of this place."
This is called motivation.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on December 20, 2011, 01:40:22 pm
"If I was on LSD, I'd have more sense than you."

I predict that I am going to spend the rest of my life struggling not to bust out and shout this at the like 3/4 of humanity that deserves it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 23, 2011, 08:11:34 pm
my sister has discovered Hipster jokes and won't/can't stop. It might be a long 5 days.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 23, 2011, 10:41:27 pm
shit that i say:

"bitches" is my favorite collective noun.  sometimes i refer to women as such.  i should probably be ashamed.....
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on December 28, 2011, 10:50:50 pm
Oh the drama!

This guy is a former student of mine who I've known since his teens, but he's now in his late 20's and sadly still posting like a teenager.  He has been quite prolific at causing unplanned pregnancies with more than one lady, and also with having really tumultuous relationships that he posts and pouts about a lot on FB.  I get a tad annoyed about his posting about his troubles in such a public way, but at the same time, it's got a sort of car-crash attraction to it that has prevented me from unfollowing him.  Needless to say, the dude has minimal income and prospects and lacks the basic maturity to parent. 

On December 24th:
Quote
BAH HUMBUG!!!!!
Ah fuck em', making us pay for them to go to the city assholes. I'm so tired of going back and forth person to person being dictated to about MY kids. UGH so frustrating, just ruined my Xmas, that's two years in a row. aint nobody gets it eh, I lose a son last year totally killed my xmas and now this year? I don't have my kids or the woman that's pregnant with MY baby? Man fuck it all to HELL!

Today:
Quote
OKAY more dumb asses, really n one bug me for real....you wanna test me fine DNA is what it is and once I prove its my baby, kiss the baby good bye because I will take full custody and you know I'm capable of it. You really need to re-asses priorities, dumb ass!!

The whole thing makes me glad that I'm only on the periphery of this guy's life.  I am sometimes tempted to post a "have some dignity" reply, but I know better than to get involved.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on December 29, 2011, 03:45:17 am
Oh man that ain't good.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on December 29, 2011, 04:16:55 am
It really ain't you know. 

There's something really frustrating about about watching someone blindly flail about their life, especially when a bunch of innocent and unprepared-for kids are brought into the mix.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on December 29, 2011, 07:29:35 pm
Now the guy is going on about how he's writing a book about all this and how people will beg him to take it off the shelf...  I... uh... *head explodes*
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 03, 2012, 07:10:07 pm
A lot of my facebook friends who extremely dramatic, take things really personally, and are into that whole asshole "brutally honest" thing are talking about how this year, they're going to stop being so nice to people they hate, or stop letting people walk all over them. Really?

I try to be pretty aware of my failings and weaknesses, and it is always really weird to interact with people who are this unaware of their own.

Yesterday some friends visited from out of town, and the night turned into hours and hours of gossip. I think this year I have learned a lot about how everyone is at least a little bit full of shit, and sometimes you put up with that because it is nice to have people to drink beer and eat pizza with. This is a concept I was aware of, but its reality is really coming to the fore lately.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: dejavroom on January 03, 2012, 07:23:02 pm
Oh man that ain't good.

And yet I laughed.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on January 03, 2012, 07:57:09 pm
And yet I laughed.

Hey, everyone needs to "re-asses" their priorities now and then.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on January 03, 2012, 09:12:41 pm
I think this year I have learned a lot about how everyone is at least a little bit full of shit, and sometimes you put up with that because it is nice to have people to drink beer and eat pizza with.

Have a can.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 03, 2012, 09:28:52 pm
It bugs me how this is one of those things that... people can tell you over and over, but it takes real life experience to penetrate your thick skull.

Or at least, it did for me.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on January 03, 2012, 11:35:50 pm
Yup, this is the city I live in. (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/blogs/welch/Babies-and-bigots-136550368.html)  Sigh.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on January 04, 2012, 02:35:39 pm
Man, oh man, Smells. That is pretty ridiculous. Especially the part about calling an Inuit woman an "illegal alien." OMFG.

On a related note, I just finished watching Reel Injun (http://www.reelinjunthemovie.com/site/) on Netflix. I have never lived in an area with a high concentration of Native Americans, nor have I ever watched Western films, so I was kind of surprised at how much racism has been directed (and is still being directed) at aboriginal people in my lifetime. I  kind of thought we were "over" the whole "hating on Native Americans" thing. I guess not.

Anyway, it's a stunning documentary, I thought Pedro would hate it because he usually doesn't like anything that encourages white guilt, but he wandered into the room while I was watching it alone and ended up sitting through the whole thing with me. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on January 04, 2012, 04:49:57 pm
I know a bunch of the folks in Reel Injun and really enjoyed the film. 

Check out artist Kent Monkman (aka Miss Chief Eagle Testicle) riffing on both the Indian and Drag Queen stereotypes in this montage. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-J8rP7bCL8) Isn't he fabulous?  He once installed a Louis Vitton inspired teepee in our local gallery.  I watched his films as I sat on a velvet chaise lounge in the teepee people!  A chaise lounge!  There was also a crystal chandelier style tee pee.  A bunch of non-aboriginal folks seemed to be timidly following me around the gallery and taking my lead on how to interact with the exhibit, which was pretty fun.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on January 04, 2012, 07:28:27 pm
I waded back to the original article, in search of the comments that inspired the follow up piece, but was distracted by the following gem:

Quote from: Winnipeg Free News
The very first sentence, nay, word, is so horrifically bungled, that it looks like someone hired a third grade child to report on this story. Snip: "Winnipegs New Years baby..."
discussion omitted
Quote from: Winnipeg Free News
Now. Let's add the apostrophes, shall we? "Winnipeg's New Year's baby..." Ah.

I think we need to issue an honorary TOUAMB membership to Tia A. McCullough.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on January 05, 2012, 03:04:31 pm
I have to share the first paragraph of a report I just read:

Quote
To whom it may concern: This writer, truly believes that, he was, fortunate enough, to be given, such an opportunity as this one, to have been able to have, attended this, scheduled session, of our, Heritage and, Cultural Camp outing, at the, (Name of place), (name of lake) Region Area. This writer would like to, take this, opportunity and, say, thank you, too, all of the, people, who, were involved  in with thee, organizing and, scheduling of this, Heritage and ,Cultural Camping Adventure.

It continues like that for two pages.  Holy, over use, of, commas, Bat,man!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on January 05, 2012, 03:09:12 pm
I have to share the first paragraph of a report I just read:

It continues like that for two pages.  Holy, over use, of, commas, Bat,man!

Maybe the writer was really short of breath?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on January 05, 2012, 04:21:54 pm
I know a bunch of the folks in Reel Injun and really enjoyed the film. 

Wow, yeah, I guess that makes sense in retrospect. Is your background Cree or another tribe? I'm not as familiar with the Northern nations.

If you happen to know the director (or know someone who knows him) and run into him and happen to think of it, let him know that a couple of white people in the Southeast US really liked the film.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on January 05, 2012, 07:01:48 pm
Wow, yeah, I guess that makes sense in retrospect. Is your background Cree or another tribe? I'm not as familiar with the Northern nations.

If you happen to know the director (or know someone who knows him) and run into him and happen to think of it, let him know that a couple of white people in the Southeast US really liked the film.

I don't know the director, but I do know Adam Beach (the actor in Windtalkers and a bunch of other films) a bit as he taught at the children's theatre and had make-outs with a friend of mine back in the day.  I haven't seen the film in a while.  I remeber that a couple of my friends were featured in it, which was why I watch it when it was originally aired here.

As for me, I'm Metis. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt0obin0RZ4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on January 05, 2012, 08:13:59 pm
As for me, I'm Metis. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt0obin0RZ4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL)

LOL
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2012, 12:44:30 am
It bugs me how this is one of those things that... people can tell you over and over, but it takes real life experience to penetrate your thick skull.

Or at least, it did for me.

Like pretty much everything, in my experience.

Man, oh man, Smells. That is pretty ridiculous. Especially the part about calling an Inuit woman an "illegal alien." OMFG.

Sitting at bar with maybe eight people I work with. Somebody said something about "it stinks right here", another guy said something about "maybe there are some natives around", and just as I began saying "what the fuck is wrong with you" the guy next to me threw his tribal ID on the table and began to talk about what it's like to be a member of his tribe. I love when that shit happens. LOVE IT.

Edit: "Through"? What the fuck is wrong with me?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 06, 2012, 03:39:18 am
I don't know Nabu, that sounded pretty epic.  Did everybody get real quiet.  All eyes on this dude as he related his tale?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2012, 05:31:18 pm
No, and he was pretty cool about it, but I gave the dick a huge ration of shit about it. All "wow, that's pretty inconvenient timing, eh?" and the like.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2012, 09:45:50 pm
People shouldn't be poking a dude, but assault is sort of rude.

I was going to correct you about dropping the "A", but who am I kidding. There ain't much of an "A" anymore.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 06, 2012, 10:05:01 pm
Quote
CAME HOME FROM SPENDING THE LAST WEEK WITH MY BROTHER WHO HAD OPEN HEART SURGERY . HE IS DOING GOOD FOR THE MOST PART ,STILL IN ALOT OF PAIN BUT AT LEAST THEY TOOK OUT ALL THE TUBES THEY MAY SEND HIM TO THE REHABILATATION HOSPITAL THIS WEEKEND ,SO GLAD HE IS DOING BETTER HE LOOKED REALLY BAD FOR AWHILE AND GUESS WHAT !!! I GOT A PRESENT ON THE WAY HOME A FLIPPING SPEEDING TICKET IN COLUMBIA MO ...........THANKS TO THE JERK PILOT. DO NOT CALL ME AND ASK ME FOR DONATATIONS ANYMORE I JUST GAVE

I kind of lost her towards the end there.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on January 07, 2012, 01:39:29 am
Yesterday a dude in a store poked me in the back (oooops!) and asked me "You in the fuck*ng [gaaah]?"

I assume he wanted to know if I was in line for the register, but I guess what he really found out was don't poke and cuss at me or I might whip around and slap you in the fuck*ng eyes.

I think I was feeling a little too uppity when he set me off, usually I just verbally crawl up someone's ass when they commit that kind of faux pas.

I don't feel bad about it a lick, but did I go to far in reacting, TOUMB?

You slapped him in the eyes?

I'm on your side here though. Just like a dumb hick from Coeur d'Alene shouldn't push LeGarrette fuck*ng Blount on the shoulder and not expect to get dropped.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 07, 2012, 04:27:55 pm
Here's a good one.  One of my friends posted this on Facebook this morning...

Quote
I don't have a Texans Shirt. But I have a Bengals one. Do you think it's safe to wear it today in public?

She grew up in Cincinnati.

About 6 comments in she gets this...

Quote
Doesnt matter as long as the sport as a whole continues to support animal abusers such Mike Vick and dozens of other criminals that get special treatment because of their roles as gladiators for you.
Keep being distracted. Pay no attention to that man behind the current. Its all OK. There is nothing wrong.
Shhhhh, the game will be starting soon. Pay no attention to your neighbors suddenly being rounded up and disappearing because its Play Off Time. Whooo Hoooo.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on January 07, 2012, 06:09:16 pm
About 6 comments in she gets this...
Quote
Doesnt matter as long as the sport as a whole continues to support animal abusers such Mike Vick and dozens of other criminals that get special treatment because of their roles as gladiators for you.
Keep being distracted. Pay no attention to that man behind the current. Its all OK. There is nothing wrong.
Shhhhh, the game will be starting soon. Pay no attention to your neighbors suddenly being rounded up and disappearing because its Play Off Time. Whooo Hoooo.

Maybe they're Dead Kennedy's fans?

Yeah, that's it. Just relax.
Have another drink, few more pretzels, little more MSG.
Turn on those Dallas Cowboys on your TV.
Lock your doors. Close your mind.
It's time for the two-minute warning.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 07, 2012, 08:20:58 pm
That's possible, who knows.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Jaded Tersk on January 07, 2012, 10:42:01 pm
There's a certain kind of pseudo-intellectual for whom any competitive sport will bring their own inferiority complex into sharp focus.  Although they are tedious pricks with banal opinions they only half understand but are quick to spout, there is a certain kind of justice in that they also dislike themselves.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 07, 2012, 10:46:17 pm
I mean, it is pretty true that a lot of professional athletes and other celebrities get away with crimes.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 07, 2012, 11:22:18 pm
I mean, it is pretty true that a lot of professional athletes and other celebrities get away with crimes.

Sure, and the less I know about it the better.  But the dude comes off sounding like Pat (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05112007).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2012, 12:31:24 am
Yeah, I mean.

Pat is right about two of those things. The point is that he shouldn't be a dick to his friends about it. Being aware of these dimensions of things we enjoy is good. The trick is trying not to look down on your horrible ignoramus friends who like rock music made by jerks and cheap hamburgers.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on January 10, 2012, 05:04:50 pm
You slapped him in the eyes?

I'm on your side here though. Just like a dumb hick from Coeur d'Alene shouldn't push LeGarrette fuck*ng Blount on the shoulder and not expect to get dropped.

You posted this just for little ol' me, didn't you?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on January 11, 2012, 01:00:34 am
Yeah, it was an inter-thread shot for the Chip Kelly comment. All in good fun of course.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on January 12, 2012, 05:38:10 pm
 Bad in (http://www.flickr.com/photos/passiveaggressive/4773512458/) every language (http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2012/01/11/portuguese-comic-sans/).

Edited to make clear there are two links.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Jaded Tersk on January 13, 2012, 12:31:05 am
Bad in (http://www.flickr.com/photos/passiveaggressive/4773512458/) every language (http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2012/01/11/portuguese-comic-sans/).

Last year I volunteered to tutor basic literacy and numeracy for the local county council and needed to take an eight week training course.  The nice people at the council had thrown together a ring binder that we were working from, all of it in comic sans.  There is some evidence that a sans serif font may be useful to some people with dyslexia, but it became apparent that the way that information was eventually understood by council employees was 'Hey guys, we totally are not even allowed to use any other typeface than comic sans anymore!'.  I'm not an evangelical on this issue, but training materials written in comic sans did look like dog shit.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on January 16, 2012, 01:56:02 am
Is this a good place for this?
(http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RIqTNDQ3zmw/TmJeord9wPI/AAAAAAAAafA/pJqPRuYCons/s1600/No%2Bdickheads.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 07, 2012, 06:58:27 am
"Ugh, I hate this St Louis shit... like, listen to these guys talking. Would someone who wasn't from here understand anything they're saying? This is why STL is so insular."

Yeah, you're right. The conversation these local preservationists are having does rely on knowledge of local neighborhoods. Isn't that horrible!?

I run with a pretty cool crowd these days. That's what is cool, right?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 07, 2012, 04:43:04 pm
The cool thing is the same as it ever was - hate everyone and everything.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 07, 2012, 05:09:45 pm
no wonder so many cool bands used to be grocery cashiers.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: lprkn on February 11, 2012, 03:36:30 am
A liberal muslim homosexual ACLU lawyer professor and abortion doctor was teaching a class on Karl Marx, known atheist.

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Marx and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than Jesus Christ!”

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL champion who had served 1500 tours of duty and understood the necessity of war and fully supported all military decision made by the United States stood up and held up a rock.

”How old is this rock, pinhead?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “4.6 billion years, you stupid Christian.”

”Wrong. It’s been 5,000 years since God created it. If it was 4.6 billion years old and evolution, as you say, is real… then it should be an animal now.”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of Origin of the Species. He stormed out of the room crying those liberal crocodile tears. The same tears liberals cry for the “poor” (who today live in such luxury that most own refrigerators) when they jealously try to claw justly earned wealth from the deserving job creators. There is no doubt that at this point our professor, DeShawn Washington, wished he had pulled himself up by his bootstraps and become more than a sophist liberal professor. He wished so much that he had a gun to shoot himself from embarrassment, but he himself had petitioned against them!

The students applauded and all registered Republican that day and accepted Jesus as their lord and savior. An eagle named “Small Government” flew into the room and perched atop the American Flag and shed a tear on the chalk. The pledge of allegiance was read several times, and God himself showed up and enacted a flat tax rate across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of the gay plague AIDS and was tossed into the lake of fire for all eternity.

Semper Fi.
p.s. close the borders
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 11, 2012, 05:59:06 am
That had to be written by a Democrat to mock mock Republican beliefs.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 11, 2012, 06:49:35 am
I lost you at DeShawn.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on February 11, 2012, 08:32:50 am
i almost thought i was in the dream thread (paul has it right and if not i'm frightened)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 11, 2012, 09:50:28 am
"sophist" didn't ring true.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 11, 2012, 03:29:51 pm
"sophist" didn't ring true.

Yes, that.  The other tell is "The same tears liberals cry for the “poor” (who today live in such luxury that most own refrigerators)" which is an established meme based on something stupid that Rush Limbaugh (I think) said .
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 11, 2012, 06:43:53 pm
Poor people own refrigerators now? Well la-de-da!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 13, 2012, 02:25:17 am
BEST. THING. EVER. (http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/picture/kaylaiskool/46d912c41f0f.jpg)

Good Lord!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 13, 2012, 03:20:59 pm
I've seen quite a few 'shops of that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 13, 2012, 05:03:24 pm
I received this email from the dude I had previously quoted:

Quote
Good morning and good day!!!!!!:
I'm writing to you, to ask if, it is at, all possible that, I might use you as, a Individual reference, for my Employment Resume that, I'M now updating. Could you please inform me[ A.S.A.P.]  iF it is ok to,add your Contact info to my list of persons who can vouch for me in, this field of work that we all engage in . Thank you for all your support , past and, present.

Sure you can use me as a reference, but you better hope they don't ask me any questions about your ability to understand proper comma usage.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on February 17, 2012, 06:47:57 pm
Why do I ever post anything on Facebook that I know The Priest will disagree with? I did not want to get into an argument with him today. I just wanted to post an article that I thought would be interesting to some friends of mine who are public schoolteachers. I really should set up friend groups for that, but holy shit. He is becoming more and more paranoid and libertarian with every passing year.

But the worst part was when one of my husband's friends said he was thinking of pulling his kid out of his current school because he thinks that the kid's teacher assistant doesn't like Kid very much. It was very hard not to say, "Of course she doesn't, the teacher probably doesn't either, because your kid is a brat with no respect for authority. And you are responsible for raising him that way. Pulling him out of school mid-year to rescue him from an adult who calls him on his shitty attitude is not going to help him in the long run."

My other friend's son is in the bratty kid's class, and he has told me that none of the other kids like Bratty Kid because not only does he disrespect the teacher, he is generally mean and lies to get other kids in trouble. Their response to a teacher's negative disciplinary report last semester was to talk to the principal and say that they wanted her reprimanded for being "too demanding" and having "high expectations" for their first-grader. Other reports on this teacher say that she is awesome, very supportive of the kids' individual learning styles, and yes, has high standards but gives the kids every opportunity to do their best.

I hate to be judgmental about other people's parenting, but the decisions they've made about their kids and the resulting insufferablility of their offspring has effectively ended our friendship. I can't put Danger Boy in the same room as Bratty Kid because they Do Not Play Well, and since they have never had a babysitter for him in seven (!!) years, we can't ever see them in a kid-free environment. So, we don't see them. But every time I see an update on BK's school travails on FB it makes me cringe.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 17, 2012, 07:56:37 pm
(http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4mcyVVA5Ghk/Tpr6EWHPtXI/AAAAAAAAAPM/masn4kPHPjA/s640/Teaching+Then+and+Now.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 17, 2012, 07:57:30 pm
This just irked the ever lovin' shit out of me.

Quote
A man sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that 1,100 people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by, and a middle aged man noticed there was musician playing. He slowed his pace, and stopped for a few seconds, and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping, and continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried, but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally, the mother pushed hard, and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money, but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the most talented musicians in the world. He had just played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, on a violin worth $3.5 million dollars.

Two days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste, and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be:

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on February 17, 2012, 08:16:07 pm
Why, exactly? I mean, yes, it's written glurgily, but I read the WashPo article when it came out and was struck by how nobody stopped to listen at all.

I don't live in an area where street musicians are commonplace, but there used to be a dude near the University when I worked/attended there who would play around lunchtime a few days a week on the sidewalk near the main strip of hole-in-the-wall eateries. I always dropped a bill or two in his violin case and If I saw him on my way in to lunch, I would make time on my way out to stop and listen for a while. He was talented and the pieces he selected always put a spring in my step. He had crazy, curly, long gray hair and smelled like he slept in a dumpster, but the dude could play like a bat out of hell.

I never got why people would walk by and pretend not to see him, not even drop a quarter in and keep walking. Here's a guy, down on his luck, trying to make a living outside the system by giving something back to the community. Something of value. Something only he could provide -- pouring out his soul on the violin in 100 degree heat on a street corner. I don't know, you gotta respect that, right?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on February 17, 2012, 08:54:15 pm
Ugggh, I am such an idiot. Somebody come to my Facebook wall and just tell me to stop talking, already.

(http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on February 17, 2012, 09:02:36 pm
The Joshua Bell story's interesting to me. It pops up a couple of times a year and I'm always surprised by how many Washingtonians have never heard it before.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 17, 2012, 09:31:15 pm
Ugggh, I am such an idiot. Somebody come to my Facebook wall and just tell me to stop talking, already.

(http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png)

Ha.  Well, this time you asked for it.  Some of the folks you interact with are a pretty narrow in focus.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on February 17, 2012, 09:32:54 pm
I know...I should have just posted it on G+, but some of the people I thought would enjoy reading it aren't over there.

I think I'm done now. Thanks, Dan.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on February 17, 2012, 09:35:35 pm
The Joshua Bell story's interesting to me. It pops up a couple of times a year and I'm always surprised by how many Washingtonians have never heard it before.

It's because no one reads the newspaper anymore. Don't remind me.

That story won a Pulitzer, by the way. I'm impressed at the gall of anyone who feels they're a good enough writer to edit to down to an email to forward.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 17, 2012, 09:48:16 pm
It's because no one reads the newspaper anymore. Don't remind me.

That story won a Pulitzer, by the way. I'm impressed at the gall of anyone who feels they're a good enough writer to edit to down to an email to forward.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html)

"Impressed" isn't the word I would use.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 17, 2012, 10:23:35 pm
It's because no one reads the newspaper anymore. Don't remind me.

That story won a Pulitzer, by the way. I'm impressed at the gall of anyone who feels they're a good enough writer to edit to down to an email to forward.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html)

Maybe that's the problem I am having with this, the editing.  I call bullshit on that blub because it presupposes that people don't care about art because they didn't stop to listen to a violin player when they are in a hurry to catch a train.  Some of the people who hurried past him may have even been the same people who paid $100 dollars to see him perform the night before. 

Now I'm calling bullshit because I have to read the whole article to get more perspective.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 18, 2012, 04:32:50 am
Yeah, I think that story is interesting but the email version of it is fuck*ng annoying, and the conclusions drawn also suck. You know what? I have shit to do. Stand on a street corner with your Strad and rock the hell out, and I may walk right by you. Does that mean I need to stop and smell the flowers? No it does not. It only means that day I had shit to do. And quite frankly, if you have an open violin case in front of you, I'm going to hurry right on by most of the time.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on February 18, 2012, 01:38:03 pm
Shit, $32/hour for busking is pretty good money! 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 18, 2012, 02:09:12 pm
There's definitely some kind of fallacies in the conclusions being drawn there.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on February 18, 2012, 02:30:59 pm
I admire Gene Weingarten's work and he definitely deserved to get a Pulitzer for something, but honestly I find the whole premise of this experiment dubious and even kind of sophomoric. Classical music is an incredibly specialized art. You need to know something about that kind of music to recognize the music is of high quality and that he is better at playing it. It's a very specific cultural thing. Weingarten wants that not to be true - he makes a big deal of the one guy who wasn't a fan of classical music who stopped to listen. But the people who knew what was going on were people educated in classical music.  Why make those other people look bad for not stopping when it's not their fault that they probably went to school after funding for music classes was eliminated? What would happen if we found the greatest acknowledged master of, say, Chinese opera, and repeated the experiment?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 18, 2012, 03:14:31 pm
The Back Ground:

As I've noted elsewhere I work with a lady who is a bat-shit mess, and the cherry-on-top is that she is super racist.  My mind boggles at this because she is a minority herself and has experienced race-based oppression first hand.  Anyway, she is straight up racist especially of anyone who is an immigrant (or if she perceives them as an immigrant based on race or religion, even if they're not).  When it comes to this gal, if I call her on her bullshit (as I have in the past) there is a shit storm of tears, passive aggressive attempts to guilt me and dealing with hours (and I mean hours) of her arguing with me that will prevent me from doing my work.

The Most Recent Issue:

Recently in the next province over there was a high profile murder trial where  as father, son and second wife (http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1123259--guilty-jury-finds-shafia-family-members-guilty-of-first-degree-murder) were found guilty of killing their two daughters and the first wife in what has been labelled a Muslim honour killing.

Recently in my own city, a  horrible fire took the life of an entire family (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/winnipeg-mosque-host-memorial-winnipeg-family-died-fire-015516244.html) except for the father, who was at work at the time. His wife, visiting mother and three daughters  (one being a four month old) died.  Terribly sad tragedy.  And, oh, yeah, not that it has any relation to the story, but the family was Muslim.  All you need to do is glance at the comments section of the article to see the racist garbage that falls from some morons mouths about this.  Needless to say, my office mate is such a moron.

Bat-shit lady keeps asking me if I think this local man killed his family.  From her past (up to week long) performances when I have called her on her shit, I have instead respond to this inquiry with stone-silence.   The thing is, I think it is important to call people on their bullshit when it comes to racism, yet at the same time, doing so is a terrible inconvenience to me and everyone else who shares our office, and it doesn't actually seem to affect any change.  We have different supervisors, and I've brought this to both of them, mine agrees she's totally inappropriate and needs to be dealt with (by her supervisor) and her supervisor says the same, but hasn't taken action because he is not around enough to deal with the aftermath.  So, yeah... I have the green light to come down hard on her, but no one who will deal with her when the shit hits the fan.  Sucks.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 18, 2012, 04:26:44 pm
But what is the value in all that wasted energy if nothing changes?  My job is keeping kids from being abused, neglected or sexually exploited, and I really feel like it's important work that requires all my effort.

Telling her to shut the fuck up does not work, and there are seven of us crammed into an office meant for three people.  Telling her so makes her shout, weep, talk at everyone or anyone.  If you wont hear out her rant-y, weepy melt down (which is never on topic or rational), she will talk to the whole room, regardless of if people are hard at work or not.  There is no where else to go, and all work grinds to a halt as she makes it impossible to work due to shear volume and emotional timber.  Either someone caves and tries to comfort her (loud histrionics about "at least someone cares", or she goes on the phone and calls anyone and everyone who will listen going all weepy-weep (and I'm not talking quiet on the phone weepy weep here).  And I'm talking through-out the day, for weeks.

Typing this, I've had a revelation.  She is an office troll.  I really do think I need to test the Do Not Feed The Troll method in real life for a while.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2012, 05:14:41 pm
Asherdan is right, throw her out the window.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on February 18, 2012, 05:18:25 pm
Yes, try not feeding the troll. Do you think you can get everyone in the office to agree to ignore her?

Here's a thing to remember from animal training: If you've been reinforcing a behavior with a reward (such as attention) and you stop rewarding it, generally what happens is that the behavior increases in frequency before it stops. So it may get worse before it gets better. Wait it out.

A problem with this approach is the phone calls though - if she can get attention for her rants from elsewhere, it's not enough for you all to ignore her. But surely there is some rule against spending hours on personal calls at work?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 18, 2012, 05:30:55 pm
You have talked about her before, and it is quite clear you stand up for those who don't have a voice (or aren't present to defend themselves). I tend to have to do a fair bit of that where I work. I think you are the person who linked Yo! Is This Racist? but even if not, dude's point still applies: it is cool and often fun to come down on racist shit like a foul-mouthed ton of bricks, but you have no obligation to call out every instance of it at all times, or else that is all you would do with your life. I'm with you and W on this one. Fuck that stupid racist bitch. You have earned a respite from fighting that particular fight, and the people you help deserve your energy much more than she does (especially as she devours it at an exponential rate).

I am really sorry you have to work in that situation. You are much too good a person to deserve it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2012, 06:10:42 pm
Shit, $32/hour for busking is pretty good money! 

I almost made that same point.  Actually it's more because he was only there for 45 min.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on February 18, 2012, 06:50:49 pm
christmas time, 2010, the missus and i were in mexico and met some expats at a bar they ran called the soggy peso (great crunchy tacos).

as i'm trading jokes with one of them, he busts out some racist bullshit about the obamas on a plane. it isn't funny in the least.

so i got to use the perfect joke at the perfect time: "what do you call a black man who flies a plane?" he can't think of an answer, and tries to come up with something else racist as a guess. with all the subtle vitriol i can muster, i look him dead in the eye and unsmilingly deliver the correct punchline: "a pilot, you fuck*ng racist." i turned and walked away.

it's one of those moments i wish someone had caught on camera.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 19, 2012, 12:19:23 am
My workplace is in the process of unionizing and is in a sort of tepid period of "do nothing" while all the contract stuff is negotiated.  Prior to that we have really been a sort of policy free place, with mostly a model of consensus building, which is mostly good except for situations such as this one.

To add to the layers of crap, this lady was one of the first ten employees of a company that is now close to 500 employees.  That she hasn't risen to any position of power says something (apparently she has always been bat-shit, but it's recently got much worse) however she has tight friendships with the parent organization that until now had decided our board and policy and such.  She had immense power and the ability to get away with being a total idiot.  The tides are turning.  She was one of the only people opposed to unionization for obvious reasons.

It will be much safer to officially address this crap once the union policy is laid out nice an clear.    As for now, no we have no policy for people using work phones and office time to deal with their person shit, and we have no policy for lodging complaints.

As of Friday, her boss is away until March and her bosses' boss is away on bereavement for the next little while.  There is no one around to address these problems, except my poor boss who has no power over the situation.  She has given this lady directions and been out right ignored by her a number of times. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 19, 2012, 04:48:50 am
Union thing can be tricky, but I'm not Canadian.

Choop: I'm going to use that little gem on a regular basis, I'll tell you.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on February 19, 2012, 03:53:42 pm
Growing from ten employees to 500 and thinking you can still operate by consensus with no formal rules seems like kind of a bad idea. I mean, that needed to change, like, 450 employees ago.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 21, 2012, 05:13:14 pm
Well Ash, I hope you're happy.  I didn't share the details of what happened Friday afternoon shortly after my initial post about Bat-shit prior to this, but thanks to your encouragement, I went to my supervisor and share the details below, along with the fact I would be writing up the below incident report to document it.  My supervisor applauded me for both calling bat-shit on her shit and on my initiative to document.  "We need to start building up the documentation on this," she said.

The names have been changed, and for background it helps to know that SNOW Night is an annual event where several agencies and organizations host a special night each winter where sex trade workers are invited to take a night off the streets and given donations, support, aesthetic treatments, counselling and all sorts of great supports in regard to substance abuse treatments and opportunities to exit the sex trade if they wish to.

Quote
An incident occurred on the morning of Friday, February 17th 2012 at approximately 11:30am that I wish to report to you.

The incident involved the following staff:  Sally Bat-shit, Jane, Mary and (at a later point) John, as well as myself.

At approximately 11:30am on Friday, I was preparing to leave the office to attend a meeting.  I exited the office to go to the bathroom.  When I returned to get my coat and bag and sign out to leave I noticed Mary and Jane were standing at Sally’s desk, talking boisterously so I approached them to say good-bye as I was leaving for the day.  

As I approached the desk all three ladies were talking all at once.  Mary said (to me) “You’ve got to see this!”  Jane said (to me) “look what she (meaning Sally) gave me!” and Sally said (to Mary and Jane) “Don’t say anything; you’re going to get me in trouble.”  I saw that Jane was holding a donation of women’s underwear that I had given to Sally to bring to the SNOW Night program. Jane indicated that Sally had given her the underwear as a gift because it is Black History Month.  Jane said “I told you not to say anything, now I got caught.”  I said to Sally “why did you give these underwear to Jane?  I gave them to you as a donation for the sex trade workers.”  Jane indicated that she wasn’t aware of this and that if they were intended as a donation for the sex trade workers that she didn’t want to take them and handed them back to Sally.  Sally again said she “got caught,” and “I told you not to say anything,” but then said she had just been joking in giving them to Jane.  Both Mary and Jane looked confused by this.  Jane then took the underwear back and said she would give them to the SNOW Program instead.

I then went to another area of the office to get my coat on.  At the same time the three women continued to talk, although I was not part of the conversation.  At that point, John came into the office and joined their conversation.  Jane again said to him that “she caught me” in reference to myself.  The group then moved to the middle of the office and I rejoined the conversation as I was buttoning my coat to leave.  The conversation was about Black History Month and how Jane didn’t know if she should be insulted or not because Sally gave her cotton underwear.  Jane made reference to how black slaves were forced to pick cotton.  Sally then made a statement that I didn’t hear fully.  It was something racially based about Jane being black “because you’re dark skinned” is all I heard, and whatever Sally said, Jane and John reacted with shock.  Then Mary made a joke which shifted the mood toward the positive.  I wished everyone a good long weekend and said I was glad the underwear were going to women who need them and that I was also glad that we are at a point in history where Jane is free to buy her own underwear whenever she wants to.  Everyone laughed about this, and I left for my meeting.

My concern is that I caught Sally reallocating the donation I had made, which is essentially theft.  If I hadn’t walked in to the above conversation it is my belief that the donation would not have been given to its intended recipients.  I had been very clear to Sally when she solicited donations for SNOW Night earlier in the month that I intended to purchase underwear as a donation to be given to the sex-trade-involved women participating in the event, and had even had a conversation with her about how I felt it was important to a women’s self esteem to have clean, new underwear, and that I was specifically purchasing the underwear as a means of valuing the women participating in the event.  I had stated very clearly that this was important to me based on my values and experiences working in support of sex trade workers in the past.  I had again restated that the donation was intended for this event when I gave her the underwear on February 15th.  Apart from stealing from those who are most in need being ethically unacceptable to me, I also value respect and honesty, and am concerned that both these values were violated by Sally in this incident.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 21, 2012, 09:39:21 pm
I'll be happy if this either results in her no longer being bat-shit or no longer being around.  I'll continue reporting my concerns.  Apparently at least one of my other coworkers is being encouraged to document her concerns with her as well.  I imagine the situation will lead to multiple confrontations or one big blow up.  I sure would prefer it if such a situation were properly facilitated by management.  Keeping my fingers crossed on that one, but not particularly hopeful that it will be the case..
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 22, 2012, 03:21:46 am
When I read the initial "I hope you're happy" I was afraid that I should parse it in the standard (to me) sarcastic framing. I was sort of terrified where the following long story was going to go.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 22, 2012, 03:47:38 pm
No, I think Ash was being the voice of reason there.  I did mean it semi-sarcastically in the "I hope you're happy, I ended up doing the right thing even though I really didn't want to."  In the end, doing the right thing and doing was is most confortable are two different things.  It would eat me up if I just ignored her actions, she may be an office troll, but unlike a message board, the fact that she is unethical, racist, dishonest and disrespectful in her job will have an impact on the lives of women she works with who are in desperate need of guidance, support and a healthy role model.  
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 22, 2012, 04:16:37 pm
As you might guess, most people I work with don't very much care for "the Other" - women, homosexuals, democrats, poor people, non-whites, foreigners.

Some times I very seriously consider outing myself as a homosexual to them just to get in their face about it and make them confront it head-on. (I have heard one person up here state, quite firmly and seriously, that he doesn't know any homosexuals. Not that he knows of - literally that no one he knew could possibly be gay.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 22, 2012, 05:12:30 pm
BECOME THE RULING BODY

I use this in my day to day life now.  It especially empowers me when anyone ask me if I've asked permission to shoot my flame throwers.  I usually say "they didn't tell me I couldn't," but I say to myself, "Be the Ruling body."

My friend Isaac really embraces this idea.  Check out this scene (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4859954427/).  His "I'm the Government" line gets me everytime I think about it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 22, 2012, 05:14:57 pm
It's the eternal battle, eh?  Nabu, you could spend your whole day calling a whole gang people on their ignorance.  Me, I've just got one lady.  

As for heterosexism in your particular workforce Nabu, being out numbered, even by brain dead tools, is a dangerous thing.  I'd actually worry about your safety if you outed yourself to these numbskulls.  

Just now, Bat-shit saw a worker going by the window who "is so skinny now she looks like a boy!  She used to be so fat!" and then ran out into the hall as that worker came in to congratulate her saying "you look so good. What's your secret?"  Another layer of her judgmental nature is to value her coworkers based on their weight.  Have I mentioned she runs support groups where the supposed intent is to build selfesteem in young mothers?  I... uh... *head explodes*
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 22, 2012, 05:19:46 pm
And there's the other side - you have to fight this ignorance and bigotry in someone is supposed to be helping. I fight it in people whose purpose appears to be pretty much centered around being clods.

Thank you for your concern, Mel. It is possible that I underestimate their inhumanity. I hadn't really considered that I might put myself in danger.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 23, 2012, 04:32:20 am
Well, I am in that I'm sort of constantly calling people on their shit (two days ago there was a nice discussion of the N-word that ended with beet-red faces and balled fists).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 23, 2012, 04:53:59 pm
Apologies to your particular style and all, but I find I am much better suited to talking things out. Dude did get pretty furious about how unfair it was that "they" got to use the word and he couldn't (long story, not typing it out on phone) but I met all his objections point by point and changed his mindset. Actually got two of my co-workers in the same discussion. These people aren't deep thinkers, so usually when I get into it I can get to them. If I can't, I end up telling them not to use the word around me.

The queer thing is tougher because it's a moral issue with some (most?) of these people. Harder to get them on board. That's why I've been flirting (heh) with just throwing it in their face. And it's not like they're going gang up on me behind the foundry. I do work in an office. I'll think on it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 23, 2012, 05:13:06 pm
Recently I heard the N-word and was surprised that I still have such a visceral response to that word. Certain of my (black) coworkers say that word, and I don't feel like someone is punching me in the stomach when they say it. So I kind of thought I had gotten acclimated. Then I heard a white dude say it and was proven wrong.

I am a big fan of this (http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2010/07/louis-ck-gets-schooled-on-faggot.html) explanation of why "the other F word" isn't OK. Or why you should think twice about it, at least.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on February 23, 2012, 05:27:51 pm
Nabu is a lover not a fighter. However I worry he underestimates how dangerous an office can be.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 23, 2012, 05:33:30 pm
At this point changing minds is the most significant way I can affect for the better an environment in which I spend more than half my life. It's worth it to me, and it's perhaps the most positive impact I can make on the world. I have no children.

As for lover not a fighter, who knows. Maybe I could find a really cute guy up here who's into it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 23, 2012, 06:03:24 pm
Nabu is a lover not a fighter. However I worry he underestimates how dangerous an office can be.

Yeah, an office is like swimming with sharks, or worse, dolphins.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 23, 2012, 07:39:24 pm
I had another coworker come by to tell me he has my back, and also my boss' boss came by to say I was doing right. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 24, 2012, 12:14:07 am
re: the other 'f' word/shit tony says:

i am guilty of referring to things as "faggy" from time to time.  theres a part of me that knows how cruel the word is.  i dont refer to people that way, but i still cant completely justify using a marginalizing word.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on February 24, 2012, 12:58:11 am
I've never been big on the Fag word, I think because I came up in an all guys school and the people who dude use it were people I didn't like so although these days I'm more conscious of it being offensive I basically just would't want to sound like a damn Neanderthal.

Context is interesting because in contrast the N word is much less scary to me because it's not a slur you really get here, I may have heard it once or twice in anger in my life and even then it just sounds weird. I wouldn't feel weird about saying something like 'sup my niggas' when I'm joking around with my mates. I guess that might be insensitive but it's because that word for me is something you say if you're a gangster, not a racist hillbilly. And now I'm being prejudiced against racist hillbillies.

In contrast 'Abo' as in aboriginal kind of sounds more benign on the surface but is a piece of slang I would simply never use because I think it carries way to much hate-baggage.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 24, 2012, 03:50:51 am
Good on everybody for at least being aware and working toward fixing it. The people I work with are careful about 'N' because you can't get away with that in a professional setting anymore (although I'm pretty sure it ends up in the ol' inbox) but it's shocking to me how casually they sling around some of the other shit. I'm ok with some use of fag/queer/homo as long as it's not used as a slur, because I basically identify to a certain extent as a member of that demographic.



Yeah, an office is like swimming with sharks, or worse, dolphins.

Paul with the sweet cross-thread callback! Let's say cans all around, shall we? Except for you last two can-having members of the ruling body. Eh, fuck it. If I don't give the ruling body cans they'll just take them.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 24, 2012, 04:35:34 am
Yeah, I would never use a slur as a slur, and I would never use any of that stuff unless I identified with the group in question. I'll talk about crackers, for instance. I guess I try to err on the side of caution. When I talk about queers as a group, I'm cool with using that word to refer to the group. I can't imagine saying "you're my faggot" though.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on February 24, 2012, 05:03:40 am
Relevant story: shortly after my brother came out my dad (who had really freaked out about but to his credit was trying to have an honest conversation with his son) was trying to talk to him about it and in searching for an appropriate word settled on queer, because it was one my brother had used himself. However it caused little bro to I totally lose his shit, demand we stop the car etc. My brother being an overly dramatic adolescent aside it was an interesting demonstration of word 'ownership'.

Kind of related to that, I get uncomfortable when my brother refers to himself and his gay friends as queens, sluts and yes, fags. I'm sure there's some healthy middle class fear of Other in there but i also find it kind of degrading the way he says it, the subtext often being that he and his gay friends are only interested in sex and sex adjacent activities. Am I allowed to be offended by someone using a slur to denigrate themselves?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 24, 2012, 05:21:31 am
You can sure be uncomfortable about it - knock yourself out.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on February 24, 2012, 12:59:04 pm
Wait, what? Is "queer" a slur anymore? I think of that as practically the literary term. I don't use it, but more because it seems pretentious. Don't we have "queer studies" at universities now?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 24, 2012, 01:12:10 pm
Queer probably not so much (I think I'm hearkening back to "smear the queer" being played on the battlefields of my youth). Definitely when someone trots out "gay" and tries to pawn it off as happy, or "faggot" and tries bundle of sticks, I immediately put that person in the shithead category (or figure they haven't reached adolescence yet).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on February 24, 2012, 02:14:57 pm
Queer probably not so much (I think I'm hearkening back to "smear the queer" being played on the battlefields of my youth). Definitely when someone trots out "gay" and tries to pawn it off as happy, or "faggot" and tries bundle of sticks, I immediately put that person in the shithead category (or figure they haven't reached adolescence yet).

Until I was like 13 I thought the word queer only had two definitions. 1. Odd. Used only in Bugs Bunny cartoons, etc. 2. Guy holding a football. Typically a tiny novelty football.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 24, 2012, 04:20:38 pm
In the community I take part in, it seems the preferred thing these days nomoclature-wise is to use the LGBTQ or sometimes the more extensive LGBTTQ* acronym = Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Two-Spirited with the *= a cavet for "and otherwise identified, alligned or allied with" or something along those lines. 

The problem with using queer as a blanket term, as I see it, is that 1) many people within the community do not identifyl as queer themselves and 2) it can be taken sometimes too narrowly or too broadly or may simply not fit the identity people within the community prefer.  In a heternomative community, although sometimes used as a blanket term, if one is identified as "queer," it tends to be taken as stating one is sexually atttracted to members of the same sex, while within the LGBTQ community there are plenty of folks who are part of the community for gender-based reasons unrelated to their sexual orientation, or attracted to all genders or the opposite gender or into kink that is unrelated to gender.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 24, 2012, 04:26:19 pm
Quote
Me: God, can I ask You a question?

God: Sure

Me: Promise You won't get mad
... ... ... ... ...
God: I promise

Me: Why did You let so much stuff happen to me today?

God: What do u mean?

Me: Well, I woke up late

God: Yes

Me: My car took forever to start

God: Okay

Me: at lunch they made my sandwich wrong & I had to wait

God: Huummm

Me: On the way home, my phone went DEAD, just as I picked up a call

God: All right

Me: And on top of it all off, when I got home ~I just want to soak my feet in my new foot massager & relax. BUT it wouldn't work!!! Nothing went right today! Why did You do that?

God: Let me see, the death angel was at your bed this morning & I had to send one
of My Angels to battle him for your life. I let you sleep through that

Me (humbled): OH

GOD: I didn't let your car start because there was a drunk driver on your route that would have hit you if you were on the road.

Me: (ashamed)

God: The first person who made your sandwich today was sick & I didn't want you to catch what they have, I knew you couldn't afford to miss work.

Me (embarrassed):Okay

God: Your phone went dead bcuz the person that was calling was going to give false witness about what you said on that call, I didn't even let you talk to them so you would be covered.

Me (softly): I see God

God: Oh and that foot massager, it had a shortage that was going to throw out all of the power in your house tonight. I didn't think you wanted to be in the dark.

Me: I'm Sorry God

God: Don't be sorry, just learn to Trust Me.... in All things , the Good & the bad.

Me: I will trust You.

God: And don't doubt that My plan for your day is Always Better than your plan.

Me: I won't God. And let me just tell you God, Thank You for Everything today.

God: You're welcome child. It was just another day being your God and I Love looking after My Children...

REPOST if you Believe in HIM ♥
Worth posting.

Hey God, what about me?  I was hit by a truck yesterday and now I'm paralyzed from the neck down. 

Oh yeah, sorry about that.  I was really busy all day constantly bailing out this one guy.

I should leave that as a comment, what do you think?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 24, 2012, 04:30:42 pm
You've heard Patton Oswalt on the Christmas Shoes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq10bz3PxyY), right?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 24, 2012, 04:40:26 pm
Hey God, what about me?  I was hit by a truck yesterday and now I'm paralyzed from the neck down. 

Oh yeah, sorry about that.  I was really busy all day constantly bailing out this one guy.

I should leave that as a comment, what do you think?

No, this is when I would look into the unfriend, ignore, block, etc. features.

Me: Hey God, why did you let my baby die from crib death?
God:  That kid was going to grow up to straight up kill you and go on a school massacre. 
Me:  Oh.
God:  Yeah. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 24, 2012, 05:03:37 pm
Oh fuck wouldn't that be a nice little ball to get rolling.

Me: Why did you make my parents die in that car accident.
God: You said you wished they were dead. I took you at your word.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 24, 2012, 05:40:24 pm
This is good stuff.

No, this is when I would look into the unfriend, ignore, block, etc. features.

Noooo, she's a sweet lady.  She just has ignorant ideas about God.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on February 24, 2012, 07:17:21 pm
Queer probably not so much (I think I'm hearkening back to "smear the queer" being played on the battlefields of my youth). Definitely when someone trots out "gay" and tries to pawn it off as happy, or "faggot" and tries bundle of sticks, I immediately put that person in the shithead category (or figure they haven't reached adolescence yet).
When I was in 7th grade there was a Sikh kid named Shamir (Sha - meer).  Since I haven't read about him going on a killing spree, I'm assuming he became extremely resilient.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on February 24, 2012, 09:26:38 pm
...within the LGBTQ community there are plenty of folks who are part of the community for gender-based reasons unrelated to their sexual orientation, or attracted to all genders or the opposite gender or into kink that is unrelated to gender.

This.

Most people think of me as straight, since I am in a monogamous hetero marriage, but most of those who know that I am also attracted to women call me bi. There are a few prescriptivists who tell me I can't be bi because I am monogamously married to a man, and if I'm not in a position to have sex with women I'm disqualified from using the term. Fuck those people.

I think of myself more as a queer person than bisexual, though, because there's more to my sexuality than just being attracted to both genders. I'm about 60/40 in favor of men, but there are also other dynamics at work that fall outside strict gender lines. For example, I tend to be attracted to androgynous people, and those who defy their biological gender roles (http://buckangel.com/blog/photos/) (NSFW).

In the past, I've rebelled against expectations for my own gender, but I'm too old and too busy trying to raise my own expectation-defying children to worry about whether people think I'm butch, femme, or somewhere in between. Plus, I've found a niche among nerdy people who are pretty accepting of others' quirks, so I don't feel the need to dress in boy's clothing or dye my hair purple as a way of warning people not to try to put me in a particular category. But I'd consider "queer" to be one of those labels that can go either way -- yes, people sometimes do say it with hatred, but the same can be said of the word "homosexual." If somebody despises a minority group, it doesn't matter what word they use to describe the "other;" the slur comes from the tone and intent, not from the word itself.

Other thoughts: I don't use the n-word. Ever. But, in spite of having two kids who are special-ed students, I sometimes refer to myself as "retarded." It's terrible, I never say it about other people or things, and I cringe every time I hear myself say it, but it was the slur of choice at my elementary school (much more common than "fag) and it's somewhat ingrained.

I mainly use it when I'm struggling with numbers, though, which is maybe apt. I mean, the word means "less advanced than expected for one's age." Well, I can't do math as well as you'd expect a thirty-something year old woman to be able to do. Doesn't that make me a little retarded?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on February 24, 2012, 09:49:45 pm
For some reason in the past two weeks I've found myself going back to an old high school slang term for when things don't go right: "aw, butt sex." My ex hated when I said this because she thought people would be offended.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on February 24, 2012, 11:50:11 pm
In the community I take part in, it seems the preferred thing these days nomoclature-wise is to use the LGBTQ or sometimes the more extensive LGBTTQ* acronym = Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Two-Spirited with the *= a cavet for "and otherwise identified, alligned or allied with" or something along those lines. 

No matter how noble the motivation, this is never going to catch on. You need a word people can use in conversation.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 24, 2012, 11:58:17 pm
I... I'm just a boring old hetero dude who likes to have sex with women.  But whatever y'all, or anybody else, wants to do sexually is cool with me.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on February 25, 2012, 12:23:04 am
Regarding Paul's thing i'd be more annoyed that god used 'bcuz'. Also note how the only appropriate response to god is feeling shame. Some people just need to love themselves a squidge more.

I've always liked queer over lgbt because the latter is kind of an ugly mouthful to me. Also if we want to extend it to be all inclusive then listing all the different subgroups is going to get long. It also kind of confuses issues of gender and sexuality which is enough of a problem already, but i guess solidarity is important. But I'm a relatively straight white curmudgeon that apparently hates everything today so it's not exactly my call.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 25, 2012, 01:33:34 am
No matter how noble the motivation, this is never going to catch on. You need a word people can use in conversation.

It's been in use as the standard term for 15 years in Canada, and as far as I've seen nearly every University of any standing has changed their stream of study formerly known as "Queer Studies" or something similar to "LGBT Studies (http://www.yale.edu/lgbts/)" years ago.  It's more than caught on.  I think maybe your a little behind on this one wombles.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on February 25, 2012, 02:16:38 am
Maybe she was referring to the LGBTTQ* extension.  Is the asterisk pronounced like ! in the San language?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on February 25, 2012, 02:25:24 am
It's been in use as the standard term for 15 years in Canada, and as far as I've seen nearly every University of any standing has changed their stream of study formerly known as "Queer Studies" or something similar to "LGBT Studies (http://www.yale.edu/lgbts/)" years ago.

But do people use it in everyday speech? People outside the community for whom this is a central issue?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 25, 2012, 03:41:39 am
Yes... They do.  Like on the mainstream tv news and in conversation amoung average tolerant people. I think this might be one of those thing were Canada is different.  Keep in mind same-sex marriage has been legal around my parts since 2003, and Canada as a whole is more far along when it comes to LGBTQ acceptance.  I'm thinking this is sort of along the lines of how it's normal in the US to call aboriginal people Indians while in Canada the term is out-dated (and in the case of Indian) offensive.  Seriously - "queer" went out of popular use in the 90's here.  It's not a particularly offensive term, but it's really dated and not commonly used that much in common parlance.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 25, 2012, 03:49:41 am
I would say that in my circles (well, at home) queer is much more common in common parlance, whereas the extended version is more common in writing.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on February 25, 2012, 06:13:49 am
I don't think I've heard anyone call a Native American an "Indian" in...20 years?  On the other hand, I live in an area with a very significant proportion of the population originating from South Asia, so maybe we're just avoiding confusion.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 25, 2012, 09:59:30 am
I don't really think African American or Native American are good terms, but I guess they are the best option.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 25, 2012, 10:23:06 am
I like living in a world where we can debate this and there can be a billion-dollar sports franchise called the Redskins.

Wait, I'm not sure I used the right word in that sentence.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on February 25, 2012, 12:51:23 pm
I don't think I've heard anyone call a Native American an "Indian" in...20 years? 

I don't think so either.... and yet I live in Redskins territory, so there's quite a bit of cognitive dissonance there.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on February 25, 2012, 12:53:50 pm
Yes... They do.  Like on the mainstream tv news and in conversation amoung average tolerant people. I think this might be one of those thing were Canada is different.  Keep in mind same-sex marriage has been legal around my parts since 2003, and Canada as a whole is more far along when it comes to LGBTQ acceptance. 

I know that, but I think that no matter how tolerant Americans get, they're going to do it using a term with fewer syllables. We are a lazy people.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 25, 2012, 06:07:57 pm
isn't LGBTQwhatver just lumping way too many things in together? I think the department at WashU was called "Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies." Although I have a lot of thoughts about ghettoizing those studies into their own department. Why should the Women's History prof be in Women's Studies, instead of History? It's kind of like how my school had an American Culture Studies department. All of the classes could/should have been listed under other departments, and I don't understand why they needed their own department for one thing. It seems bizarre to separate disciplines by Topic rather than Technique. I get why a Women's Studies department might have been needed historically, but why is it needed now?


There is a place here with a sandwich called the LGBT. Lettuce, Goat Cheese, Bacon, Tomato.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on February 25, 2012, 06:24:49 pm
There is a place here with a sandwich called the LGBT. Lettuce, Goat Cheese, Bacon, Tomato.

The G in an LGBT should really be guacamole.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 25, 2012, 07:26:07 pm
There is a place here with a sandwich called the LGBT. Lettuce, Goat Cheese, Bacon, Tomato.

I would eat that.  Yes, I would.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on February 25, 2012, 07:48:26 pm
isn't LGBTQwhatver just lumping way too many things in together? I think the department at WashU was called "Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies." Although I have a lot of thoughts about ghettoizing those studies into their own department. Why should the Women's History prof be in Women's Studies, instead of History? It's kind of like how my school had an American Culture Studies department. All of the classes could/should have been listed under other departments, and I don't understand why they needed their own department for one thing. It seems bizarre to separate disciplines by Topic rather than Technique. I get why a Women's Studies department might have been needed historically, but why is it needed now?

This. I went to a women's college. We did not have a "Women's Studies" department or anything like it. When asked once why we offered African-American History but not Women's History, the History department head replied, "At [College], all history is Women's history. And it was true -- they just integrated it into the rest of the curriculum.

I use Black instead of African-American unless I'm in a very formal situation, like writing a term paper. That is how almost every Black person I have ever met has referred to their race, so that's what I use. Besides which, African-American is not necessarily correct. My sister-in-law is a Black American, but her heritage is mainly Jamaican.

My kids describe people in terms of straight-up skin color. Chaos Girl was talking about her school friends and told me that one particular boy is "brown." Which is fine with me. The longer they can go without realizing that the rest of the world likes to categorize people by race and ethnicity, the better.

On a related note, my son has a distinct preference for brown women. It started when he got completely googly-eyed for Denyce Graves (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZFmNJjv1LM) when she appeared on Sesame Street. Ever since then, busty Black women send him into a swoon. Looking forward to those sweet little biracial grandbabies, we are.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 25, 2012, 10:37:09 pm
A few years ago I got called out for using negro.  I thought I was just being proper.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on February 25, 2012, 11:49:22 pm
In private I use "colored people" because of the nostalgia value. Is that terrible?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on February 26, 2012, 05:09:33 am
In private I use "colored people" because of the nostalgia value. Is that terrible?

It's way less bad than a lot of things, but yes.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 28, 2012, 05:29:19 pm
Was talking about current events in Iran, and my roommate felt the need to lecture me about how they hate Jewish people and deny the holocaust and hate Israel. As if I did not know that shit. Then he went on a speech about how it's so hard being surrounded by non-Jews who don't know this stuff. Tried not to say "no, I know about that. I just don't care."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 28, 2012, 10:08:39 pm
yeah, I thought it best to end that convo before we got to "I think Israel seem like dicks."

Israel v. Iran seems like a situation that will end badly almost entirely because they are both countries with messed up complexes. For completely valid reasons, but come on guys! Don't have a war just because you are worried about your dick size!

Having a lot of discussions lately that reach the point of "I understand that _____ is a big deal to you, but I need you to understand that it is not a big deal to me."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 28, 2012, 10:47:40 pm
The thing that makes me Really Really Mad is when people can't have perspective. This means I am destined for a life of anger.

Especially when there is a direct connection between the situation a person is lacking perspective about, and a personal issue they have. Like:
"hey, it makes you mad when people are a dick to you at work, so why do you act like a dick to other people when you are a customer?"
"Your sister is a high-school dropout with a drug problem, so why do you think it is OK to tell me my sister is a stupid bitch?"

Also related, when someone is a dick to me (even as a joke) the only response I can think of is always the Nuclear Option.

"Oh, yeah, I'm pretty bad at this board game. How about you get a job instead of relying on handouts from your parents? Maybe you should focus less energy on Scrabble and more on that, huh buddy?"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on February 28, 2012, 11:04:22 pm
Also related, when someone is a dick to me (even as a joke) the only response I can think of is always the Nuclear Option.

"Oh, yeah, I'm pretty bad at this board game. How about you get a job instead of relying on handouts from your parents? Maybe you should focus less energy on Scrabble and more on that, huh buddy?"

QFT. There is a little bit of Ash in each of us.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on February 29, 2012, 02:57:43 am
You are a brave and hopeful little man. Carry on, Don Quixote.

Cans for both of you brave and hopeful men.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 29, 2012, 04:46:33 pm
I am feeling pragmatic about the Middle East lately, insofar as I know that the leaders of Iran and Syria are murderous bastards but direct intervention means World War Three and...

That's, like, everyone dead.

So how about no.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 01, 2012, 12:51:44 pm
No, no - we're America. We can fix this. Just let us get out the ol' toolbox.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 01, 2012, 01:55:17 pm
No, no - we're America. We can fix this. Just let us get out the ol' toolbox.

we keep breaking and losing tools.  instead of looking for and fixing them, we just buy new ones.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 02, 2012, 04:49:22 pm
I saw this status update today on Facebook.  "How can anyone NOT be a "Birther"?"  It was accompanied by this (http://www.wnd.com/2012/03/sheriff-joes-posse-probable-cause-obama-certificate-a-fraud/) trip to crazytown.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 02, 2012, 05:56:11 pm
Haven't I mentioned elsewhere that I'm afraid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slKNd22GGaQ)?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 02, 2012, 08:11:00 pm
Kinda looks like Bowie's being chased by Snape (I know that's Trent Reznor - he just looks rather Snape-y).

Made me think of the Stuck Mojo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymLJz3N8ayI) song.

Also of an essay (reference forgotten, sadly) by a European writer shortly after 9/11 where he described America as a teenager who wants to be loved by everyone.  Failing that, America will settle for being feared by everyone - which the writer evoked as sad but not inevitable.  Wish I could find it now.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 05, 2012, 05:51:09 pm
Well after two more incidents last week, and a meeting with the higher ups,  I got sent home for the afternoon while Bat-shit's boss and her Boss's Boss meet with her to discuss their concerns.  They thanked me profusely for having the courage to come forward and stated clearly that "this is about her, not you." Other highlights of the conversation included "this may be the thing that pushes her over the edge" (her boss) and "Maybe it's time she take some time off"(her bosses boss).  They described her as a bully and said she is creating a hostile work environment.  It's nice to see action being taken now.   I'm a little nervous about what's going to be happening this afternoon, and I had offered to be there, but they have my written reports, and I'm also glad both supervisors are doing their jobs, being her bosses.  Considering her level of volatility, I'm pretty sure I'll be missing quite the show, however her bosses boss will be calling me to update me on how thing went and what will happen next.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 05, 2012, 06:10:33 pm
Do you know how many people have come to me behind the scenes to applaud me?  Everyone who knows.  Why the fuck do I have to be the shit disturber then?  I asked a good friend of mine (and fellow shit disturber on other fronts) this and she passed on this gem someone else had passed on to her:  "No one likes the sound of the alarm clock, but everyone loves the work it does." That's some profound shit right there.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 05, 2012, 06:39:14 pm
And you got an afternoon off? Awesome.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 05, 2012, 07:04:17 pm
Do you know how many people have come to me behind the scenes to applaud me?  Everyone who knows.  Why the fuck do I have to be the shit disturber then?  I asked a good friend of mine (and fellow shit disturber on other fronts) this and she passed on this gem someone else had passed on to her:  "No one likes the sound of the alarm clock, but everyone loves the work it does." That's some profound shit right there.

Thumbs up, chicka.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 05, 2012, 07:42:49 pm
Yes That is excellent.

I talk to people about ownership a lot because I'm kinda big on owning your problems as a first step towards addressing them effectively.

OTOH, I will give someone a big glass of spite to drink for passing along a hot potato.

That is the thing with this lady.  As I said to the bosses "I'm worried about her ability to accept accountability.  I don't think she has the capacity to be accountable" That's when the bosse's boss says "It's always about someone else with this one.  I have seen this time and time again.  She goes around telling everyone else to be truthful and respectful, but none of that applies to her.  Fuck her!"   Yup, her bosses' boss said "fuck her!"  She actually said it many times. 

As for the afternoon off, does it really count as an afternoon off if all I'm doing is sitting there worry about what's happening at work?  I think I better go try out Just Dance, which my hubby bought for me yesterday but hasn't been taken out of the package.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 05, 2012, 08:18:43 pm
Several years ago one of my coworkers came to me and revealed that a third coworker had been sexually harassing her.  She is a lady who prefers ladies, and doesn't care (or need) to dress up for work, so its usually jeans, a flannel, and hair in a bun.  This pig kept after her dress differently, made pass after pass (following polite rejection) and even came up to rub her shoulders once while she was seated at a lab bench.  Despite all that, it was really hard for her to call him out.  I was happy to help and got the ball rolling with HR.  They came in and interviewed about 40 people from the building.  Naturally it came out that it wasn't only my friend who had been singled out for his attentions.  He was canned within a week, and the atmosphere around the building became a lot happier.  Sometimes when you shoulder that squeaky wheel work, you do more good than you realize.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 05, 2012, 11:09:20 pm
As for the afternoon off, does it really count as an afternoon off if all I'm doing is sitting there worry about what's happening at work?  I think I better go try out Just Dance, which my hubby bought for me yesterday but hasn't been taken out of the package.

I don't know what that is, but if it is fun, do it. You have earned it. You made her boss's boss say "Fuck her." Heck, I want to take the afternoon off to celebrate.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 05, 2012, 11:35:07 pm
Good work Smells.  You will be the office hero now and have mucho respect among your peers.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 06, 2012, 04:51:32 am
I don't know what that is, but if it is fun, do it. You have earned it. You made her boss's boss say "Fuck her." Heck, I want to take the afternoon off to celebrate.

just dance is one-a-them there vidya games
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 06, 2012, 04:56:13 pm
Things learned from Just Dance:  1) I am a lot more out of shape than I thought I was and 2) getting silly and dancing around and getting all sweaty is good therapy.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 06, 2012, 05:26:54 pm
Is that before or after you slap them?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 06, 2012, 06:19:31 pm
I am a lot more out of shape than I thought I was

I can assure you that you're not more out of shape than I am. Running has taught me that, in the event of an actual zombie apocalypse or other emergency, I would totally be the first one eaten.

In related news, had to go buy more sports bras today. The only one I had was too dirty to re-wear for yesterday's "run," and I became intimately and uncomfortably acquainted with the reasons why a lady definitely needs one.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 06, 2012, 06:20:59 pm
In related news, had to go buy more sports bras today. The only one I had was too dirty to re-wear for yesterday's "run," and I became intimately and uncomfortably acquainted with the reasons why a lady definitely needs one.

Did you titty slap yourself in the face?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 06, 2012, 06:53:32 pm
Put some steak on those black eyes!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 06, 2012, 07:34:44 pm
Did you titty slap yourself in the face?

I'm not quite that well-endowed, and I did have a bra on, it was just a regular-activity bra instead of a duct-tape-those-puppies-down stylezz. It was just more discomfort that I've felt in that region since the kids were weaned. Not pleasant.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 07, 2012, 06:08:41 am
Things have gone to hell in a hand basket re: Bat-shit.  Instead of dealing with it when they sent me home as they said they would on Monday, they instead spent the time talking with HR who say I needed to use the specific words "bullying" or "harassed" in my conversations with her, and needed to give her a verbal warning to stop before going to a supervisor.  Have I mentioned that my supervisor sat one cubicle away for most of this, over hearing and sometimes participating in the situations?  So now I'm thinking about calling bullshit on what HR is telling me, as it is counter to what three supervisors related directed me to do over the past 2 plus months.  Fuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkk!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 07, 2012, 06:48:30 am
Aw man, what a load.  That is weapons grade bullshit right there.  Way to throw you under the bus.  Are all of your superiors spineless worms?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on March 07, 2012, 08:24:21 am
so make sure to give her a verbal warning tomorrow: "yeah, that HR stuff you had to go through was because of me. if you keep bullying and harassing me or anybody else in the office, i'll report you again." it'll be tense for a while, and she'll get the fuck over it or she won't and you'll have recourse through HR.



also give HR a verbal warning for allowing hate speech in the company for this long. wtf have they been doing, this is what they are for.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 07, 2012, 12:25:03 pm
so make sure to give her a verbal warning tomorrow: "yeah, that HR stuff you had to go through was because of me.

No, you are missing the sad point.  She has gone though no "HR stuff." No one has spoken to her about anything at all.  No one but me.  I'm pretty sure this is how it went down:  her boss and her bosses boss were hot to fire her ass, they called HR and HR points out some policy no one has ever mentioned to me in the 8 incidents I have brought to the supervisors (three documented) over the past 2.5 mnths. 

I have lost all clairity of vision on this one, and spent all afternoon and night yesterday crying over this, typing up a rant to HR that I thankfully have decided to sleep on before sending... Fuuuuuuuuck.  It will get better.  I have a plan that is culturally based.  I am going to say no to HR's request and ask for a sharing circle instead.  At least that's what I think I'm going to do.  For now my bed time was 9 hours ago and I need to crash and come to this again with a rested mind.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 07, 2012, 02:00:46 pm
This just supports my theory that HR people are universally dolts.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 07, 2012, 02:40:09 pm
I guess what Choop is saying is that you need to go to bat shit and say to her that on date x, x, x etc., the incidents that have already occured,  "you were harrassing and bullying." There's your verbal warning.  Record it with your iphone too, I guess.

Basically, your bosses are spineless assholes and they are using HR to make you do your their job of confronting her.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 07, 2012, 04:24:50 pm
Smells, my standard advice for people in workplace situations like this is "Document, Document, Document."  Keep a diary of your interactions with the irritant and with management.  You've done some of this on here, but it would be a good idea to keep it in a single place.  Also, let your supervisor and HR know, IN WRITING, that you feel harassed and that this person is creating an unsafe workplace environment for you.

As I said earlier, HR people are generally dolts. Management is interested in minimizing the amount of disturbance the situation is causing.  If they can do that more easily by putting the kibosh on you instead of her, don't be surprised if they do.  So you need to let management and HR know very clearly that you will make as much if not more work and trouble for them if they ignore you or try to bufffalo you.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 07, 2012, 04:41:29 pm
I still have difficulty thinking that Canadian work place harassment laws and regulations are shittier than down here.

Me too.  I think this is more a case of bosses passing the buck than it is about shitty regs.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 07, 2012, 07:00:45 pm
If y'all could see the vaguely worded, poorly written policy on harassment I agreed to (along with all the other poorly written policy I agreed to) way back as a new employee, you would understand the trap I'm in.  The wording is so non specific it can be easily manipulated to suit HR and managements needs.  I could easily jump this hoop and have them decide there's a another dozen hoops I need to jump.

What I've come to is this:  I do not give a fuck about the punitive and disciplinary actions HR and management may or may not want to take, and I am not interested in the hoop jumping required to satisfy their desire for me to act in a semantically appropriate fashion so that they can or can not proceed with whatever it is they plan to do.  I have no power over that, and it's their problem to solve, not mine.  What I need is to work in a non-hostile work environment, and what I truly need to do is to heal and forgive.  To be clear: forgiveness is not about saying her behavior is okay.  Forgiveness is about me undertaking the healing I need in order for this situation to no longer have power over me, so that I can move forward with living honestly and respectfully while letting go of the pain I've experienced. 

What I'm counter proposing to HR and Management is a sharing circle, which is a cultural practice we all frequently provide to the families and youth we support at our agency, where all affected people (management, this lady, the other staff involved) sit together,  we pass an eagle feather around the circle twice and each person gets to say their piece (you only speak when holding the feather).  I've become emotionally stuck, and I need to let this out to let it go.  What I need is to state to her how her behavior has hurt me, in a room with others as both witnesses and support, and to hold her accountable to change her behavior.  Likewise, management and other staff need to be accountable and a sharing circle requires the partici##### to both state and bare witness to their role in moving forward.  In return, I will be held accountable and gain understanding of any role I have in preventing this from escalating based on what everyone else shares.

In essence this blows the bureaucracy out of the water, and takes it to the human level.  It demands huge courage from me, but it also demands that everyone stop hiding and come out into the open, which has so far been central to the problem.  It demands this lady be accountable and if she isn't there will be group of witnesses to her behavior who are unable to deny it.  This is me taking ownership of the problem. 

Yup, so wish me luck.   
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 07, 2012, 07:36:04 pm
Good luck.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 07, 2012, 08:06:08 pm
Fortunately you are courageous as a motherfucker, so good luck to you!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 07, 2012, 08:10:54 pm
I like bringing your culture's traditional practices into the mix. It feels right in this context. Good job, and good luck.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 07, 2012, 08:39:19 pm
Good luck - we're all counting on you (http://youtu.be/SmHeP9Sve48).



I'm so very, very sorry.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 07, 2012, 09:05:45 pm
LUCK!  Ms. Bat Shit doesn't know who she is dealing with.

Just FYI, can management refuse your request for a sharing circle?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 07, 2012, 11:14:00 pm
Please keep us in the loop - this model of conflict resolution should be used in a wider context.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 08, 2012, 05:18:53 pm
Would it be wrong to suggest that the great TOUAMBIE indoor-beatdown move from StL up to Winnipeg?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 08, 2012, 05:39:47 pm
Would it be wrong to suggest that the great TOUAMBIE indoor-beatdown move from StL up to Winnipeg?

we'll just have to take it on the road.  anyone else have someone that needs their ass kicked by a gang of smartass nerds?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 08, 2012, 05:56:19 pm
Would it be wrong to suggest that the great TOUAMBIE indoor-beatdown move from StL up to Winnipeg?

Yeah, it's only fair to make it a World Tour.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 08, 2012, 07:38:08 pm
We're going to Canada?

PUTTING ON THE FOIL, COACH!

Canned for reminding me of this:

Dave's a killer!
Dave's a mess.
But Dave's out. Who's gonna take his place?
Is the answer Jesus?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 09, 2012, 02:59:13 am
Well everyone agreed to the circle.  I invited bat-shit myself, she agreed to come but went into how she is older and implicitly wiser than me.

The circle is tomorrow at 1:30.

The director of the department (my bosses boss) thanked me profusely today and tells me she agrees with me that what they proposed was a bad idea and she is going to work with HR on re-writing the harassment policy and credit me for my work.

Also my boss was away while most of the shit hit the fan because her husband had a massive heart attack.  She had one hell of an update when she returned today and was pissed off about HR's request.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 09, 2012, 02:22:14 pm
I will be running at 1:30 pm today while my daughter is in dance class. It will actually be 12:30 PM for you, Smells, but I will think about what you will be about to face and put in an extra "sprint and pray" for you.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 09, 2012, 04:38:06 pm
I'm still up for the Great Indoor Fight World Tour if this doesn't solve the problem.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 09, 2012, 07:06:54 pm
I am doing aggravating data entry at the internship that involves a lot of linking families together in our database. Which is hard because parents often don't have the same last name, don't have the same last names as their kids.

Shit Inev almost Says: "god, why don't these moms give their kids their last name? Why would your kid have your boyfriend's last name instead of yours?"
Shit that someone said immediately before I said that: "yeah, I gave my kids [her boyfriend's] last name, it just made sense. Why would a kid have their mom's last name? That isn't how it works."
Another girl pointed out that the boyfriend might not be around forever, since he isn't willing to marry her, and that turned into a whole horrible argument that I'm glad I did not participate in.

Yikes. Having kids. Yikes.

I am reflecting on how much of a fan I am of the system a lot of the Spanish-speaking families use. The multiple last names things just makes a lot of sense.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 09, 2012, 10:15:16 pm
Well that went.... well?  

Thanks to all of you for your support.  I actually came here and looked at the board right before going into the circle and you each gave me strength.  Cans!

I said all my truth, including calling her on being racist and volatile.  

She called me a liar, which was a good depiction of how unaware she is, especially considering every other person in the room has previously witnessed her saying racist shit and not said anything.  She also implied I was evil and said from now on she would "tolerate me, but that's it."  The second time round she said "now I'm afraid of you" and that I had put all my hurt on her.

All I could think was "maybe you should be afraid of me because from now on I'm going to be direct in how I hold you accountable and you seem to shoot your mouth off uncontrollably."  And typing this up, I'm hoping maybe she can learn something from carrying the hurt she put on me for a while.  There was support from the supervisors, but none of them called her on her shit.  They didn't agree with her, but they also didn't outright disagree with her either.  It will be interesting to see where the chips fall.  I feel like the power has shifted.  I hold the power now, and without power she is just sad and ignorant.  Hopefully she will understand that I spoke the truth and learn from it.  If not, it doesn't matter now.  I've become the ruling body, as Ash said.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 09, 2012, 11:05:23 pm
My boss hugged me and said "I'm so proud of you" which was pretty rad.  Everybody hugged me except Bat-shit, who left as soon as we wrapped.  It's a huggy office.  I've gotten used to it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 10, 2012, 12:22:41 am
I like hugging my coworkers, but I try to get a good read on them for a long time before busting out that move.  Its definitely not appreciated by all.    I caught myself watching the clock and wondering how you were getting on. Congrats on being a person of integrity.  It is not always an easy road to walk, but you are up to the task.  Plus, think of the model you have put forward for all the people involved - including HR.  This was a thing of dignity.   
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 10, 2012, 12:57:49 am
Hopefully she will understand that I spoke the truth and learn from it.  

I'm guessing she's always the hero of her inner narrative.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 10, 2012, 01:06:46 am
Hey, I've been gone for a day and you've already wrapped this thing up. 

Sounds like Bat Shit was beligerant and uncooperative in the circle and your bosses let it slide.  I am worried that your bosses don't really have your back, but am impressed at your strength.

This poor lady doesn't stand a chance against you.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 10, 2012, 02:44:57 am
I caught myself watching the clock and wondering how you were getting on.

This, also. Congratulations, Smells. It sounds like a qualified success -- hopefully things will improve from here on out. I am worried that she'll find some other, subtler way to be evil to you. But maybe I'm just jaded. Either way, you handled the situation fantastically, and I hope you will be repaid by fate/God/karma/whatever in kind.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 10, 2012, 03:22:03 pm
Thanks guys, I have a lot to process about how things went down.  I agree that management doesn't have my back.

I'm guessing she's always the hero victim of her inner narrative.

My fix here. 

If you're always the victim, then you never really have power, and that's not freedom.  That's what six months of therapy and one of the most brutal weeks of my working life has taught me thus far.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 13, 2012, 04:36:08 am
You. Are. Rad.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 21, 2012, 09:36:12 pm
I do not know how to handle this conversation my friend is trying to have with me on facebook. Prompted by the Trayvon Martin debacle, he is talking about how white people look at black people as criminals-- he is particularly mentioning crossing the street to avoid him, etc.

and like, I do not cross the street when I see a black person. But nearly every time I walk down a major road in STL I am asked for money by a black person. Every person I know who has been mugged (and sometimes beaten up or threatened with a gun) was mugged by a black person. Almost everyone I know has been mugged. My girlfriend's good friend only escaped being violently raped (...by a black person who grabbed her as she entered her apartment building) because her roommate got home and scared the guy off. There is a lot of media attention being paid to the "knockout game" in St Louis, where gangs of teenagers surround an innocent pedestrian and beat them up. In our neighborhood there are complaints about gang activity, shots are frequently heard at night... gangs of black teenagers. My female friends also talk about the catcall culture in St Louis (I'm sure there is a real word for this) where every time they walk for any distance they have random dudes propositioning them, yelling sexual things at them, etc.

So, as much as you want to talk about socioeconomic factors, the media blowing things out of proportion, etc... I don't blame people for being scared. It is only because I think a lot and was raised to question these things that I don't cross the street when it's late at night and I see a group of black teenagers approaching me. And maybe I'd be safer if I did. That makes me feel really horrible.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2012, 02:59:49 am
You are going about that the wrong way. I'm not going to get into it (though you all know I would be able to ramble on so long it'd shut this board down). Suffice it to say your best play is to not get involved in the conversation. Fight the power, inev.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2012, 05:04:17 am
Late at night with teenagers approaching, if they are from the same strata, you are probably as well served crossing the street or not no matter what color they are.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 22, 2012, 12:42:23 pm
I do my best not to be racist, but I make no effort not to be ageist-sexist - I will cross the street to get away from a group of male teenagers of any apparent race or social class. Sorry, boys.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 22, 2012, 01:22:15 pm
I don't cross the street to get away from people no matter who they are. But then, I give dollars to panhandlers when I have cash, so. Take that for what it's worth.

It really is a class issue. Based on my understanding of STL, there is a large population of poor black people concentrated mainly in one area -- it's like the Harlem of the midwest. In my area, we don't have a lot of gang activity* (to my knowledge) and you are more likely to be shot up by a drunk white redneck than a black inner city youth. Not to say there isn't a criminal element among the black community here -- it's just that they haven't quite cornered the market as much as it seems in some of your larger or more de facto segregated cities.

In Toledo, almost every crime you see in the paper is committed by a nonwhite person -- either black or hispanic. But that's because there's more income disparity between the races there. In Raleigh, we have sizable populations of both middle- and upper-class black families and poor, uneducated whites, so there is less of a correlation between race and crime than you might see in other parts of the country.

*When I was in high school, the worst gang I knew of was the Chinese Lynch Mob, which was a group of first- and second-generation Chinese-American teenagers who ran a black-market business selling drugs and stolen car radios.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2012, 02:54:32 pm
Truth.

Yeah. Thanks. I didn't want to go down the path.

I find that most people who think it would be so easy to get out of the ghetto and for poor folks to pull themselves up by their bootstraps don't have a lot of experience with it.

What'd I just see quoted? "You got where you are through hard work? Whose?"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 22, 2012, 03:18:47 pm
What I didn't say was that I do understand why some people feel that they are less safe when surrounded by black teen boys than white adult women in certain cities. That doesn't make it OK to cross the street to avoid any black male you see, but it doesn't necessarily make the street-crosser a terrible person.

Is it a little bit racist? Probably. Is it OK to be a little bit racist? No. But being a little bit racist doesn't mean you're evil. It just means you're a little bit ignorant. And the best thing for that is...

...say it with me now...

...education.

Which is probably what your friend is aiming for, Inev. He can't educate the people who are crossing the street to avoid him, but he can educate you about how it feels to be avoided. And you saying, "Yeah, dude. I get it, to the extent that a southern-born white man can get it, and I wish it weren't that way" is probably the response that is going to make him feel the most better. But, being a white lady, I can only speculate as to his motives.

I will say this: my grandmother and step-grandfather were killed by a black ex-con meth addict. That doesn't make me hate black people. It makes me hate the prison system that failed to rehabilitate him, and meth dealers.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2012, 03:39:59 pm
What I didn't say was that I do understand why some people feel that they are less safe when surrounded by black teen boys than white adult women in certain cities.

There's a reason why black teen boys are generally more dangerous than white adult women, and it doesn't have anything to do with gender or race. So yeah, I think I am with you.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 22, 2012, 04:21:18 pm
There's a reason why black teen boys are generally more dangerous than white adult women, and it doesn't have anything to do with gender or race. So yeah, I think I am with you.

But, there are some places and times in which I would take the black teen boys over the white adult women. For instance, the shoe department at Macy's on Black Friday.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 22, 2012, 05:44:34 pm
You guys reacted to this line of discussion a lot better than my roommates. And yeah, I think not even entering the discussion might be best. It is hard because on some level that means I can never hang out with this guy, who turns everything into a discussion about race. I know, in my heart of hearts, that I am not a racist and that there is no reason he should get mad at me about anything I think. But I also know that I have a gold medal in putting my foot in my mouth, and frequently say things in really poorly chosen ways.

I think I can sum up my feelings as: I interact with lots of black people on both a personal and professional level who are nice, normal citizens who I enjoy talking to. I have also spent several years of my life learning about the way our surroundings can shape us and influence our behavior. When I see people doing bad things, I try to ascribe the cause of those things to their surroundings rather than to some group I imagine that they belong to.
For a lot of people in this city, who live in a segregated area and did not interact with black people growing up, their exposure to black people is:
1. seeing them committing crimes on TV
2. hearing stories about friends/family who have had criminal acts committed on them
so while it is wrong, that is how they end up holding racist beliefs about you. Sorry that it is that way, dude, you are a nice person.

In closing, this article (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/17/nyregion/how-green-was-my-surname-via-ireland-a-chapter-in-the-story-of-black-america.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm) came up when I was researching some of the interesting last names I saw at the internship. Cool article.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2012, 05:46:33 pm
It's cool, 'nev - some of my best friends are black, too.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 22, 2012, 05:57:33 pm
I have a problem with the broad labeling of people who avoid contact with groups that have a higher local factor of committing harmful acts as racist and ignorant.

Maybe they're just trying to live their life without the hassle of a beat down and playing the percentages by keeping their head down and avoiding risk.

The other side of the coin here isn't necessarily all evil fucks like those kinds of broad strokes paint them.

Right, I agree with you. But some people take the "avoid contact with local groups" and apply that to the rest of the universe, with the criteria for avoidance being the color of someone's skin, not the context of place, time, and socioeconomic status. These are the same people who get nervous when they see a middle eastern-looking guy on an airplane, even if that guy is wearing a suit, has no accent, and is going to Wichita. That is needless anxiety that stems from having a touch of racism. It is understandable to a degree. It is not okay. But it's not evil.

But, you know, everyone's a little bit racist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM), anyway.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 27, 2012, 05:08:34 am
My folks were over tonight for dinner.  We watched The Big Bang Theory after dinner.

My parents, my mother especially, I think, really love that show.  That's why I started watching it because my mother kept raving about how funny it is.  And I agree, it's a very funny show.  I especially like Sheldon's character.  The actor is from Houston and his character is from Texas.  Even though he's playing this super intelligent geek living in California, his natural Texas-ness keeps peeking through.

So as my folks are leaving my roommate Gerald says "It all started with the big bang" quoting the show's theme song.  My mother says "yeah right... That kept us from watching that show for a long time."  When Gerald walks back inside I say "did you get that?"  "What's that?" he says.  "My mother, she was saying she doesn't believe in the big bang."  "I don't know if I do either." Gerald says.

I don't really have anywhere else to take this so I am leaving it with you guys.  I know that my parents, my mother especially, are science deniers.  It's because of their Christian faith.  They don't believe in evolution either, of course.  I don't challenge them because it would be pointless and would only end in tears.  I just accept that this is who they are and live with it. 

And Gerald, well he's just a moron, so I don't challenge him either. 

Anyway, thanks guys for listening.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 27, 2012, 05:13:53 am
Sometimes that is best. It took me too damn long to realize that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: lprkn on March 27, 2012, 10:02:23 am
I like the idea of The Big Bang Theory (the show) better than I actually like the show. It could have been done so much better. It's just that I watch it and it reminds me of Two and a Half Men, which I despise. So I watch The IT Crowd instead, it fills the "cheeky comedy show about people with autistic spectrum"-shaped hole in my heart.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 27, 2012, 12:33:30 pm
I don't really have anywhere else to take this so I am leaving it with you guys.  I know that my parents, my mother especially, are science deniers.  It's because of their Christian faith.  They don't believe in evolution either, of course.  I don't challenge them because it would be pointless and would only end in tears.  I just accept that this is who they are and live with it. 

My philosophy on this, without going into too much detail, is: who gives a shit how we got here? We are all here now, and it's our job to get along.

Obviously, there are people for whom it actually matters -- archaeologists and paleontologists and clerics and whatnot. But for the rest of us, well, you just believe in anything you want and the [good Lord/ghost of Darwin] will provide.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 27, 2012, 12:37:45 pm
shit tony says #43:

for me, science and faith go together.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 27, 2012, 12:38:38 pm
Whoa, wait. It never occurred to me that people had an opinion about the Big Bang Theory due to their religion. Seriously?

I don't see the contradiction. Even if you think God created the universe - I mean, if you were going to create a universe wouldn't you take the chance to do it with a big bang?

This is totally different from the contrast between saying people started with Adam and Eve and people evolved from hairy animals. Aren't these people just being contrary because it's science? What's next, germ theory?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on March 27, 2012, 01:08:14 pm
My philosophy on this, without going into too much detail, is: who gives a shit how we got here? We are all here now, and it's our job to get along.

Obviously, there are people for whom it actually matters -- archaeologists and paleontologists and clerics and whatnot. But for the rest of us, well, you just believe in anything you want and the [good Lord/ghost of Darwin] will provide.

I know med students (and some doctors by now) who do not believe evolution is a real thing. I think they will by and large by fine docs (or at least no worse than anyone else) but I do wonder how they fix that with stuff like the emergence of antibiotic resistance and genetic disorders. I assume the answer comes down to something that ends with 'but we're special'. Take that how you will.

Also giving a shit about how our universe and everything in it works (and by extension how we got here) is in my mind one of the most important and noble things you can do with your life, but I know in general that's just me.


I instinctively disliked the Big Bang Theory but so many of my friends like it that I've watched a few episodes. I can appreciate the humour (when it isn't just 'here's a geeky word or reference, isn't that funny?') but I can't get past the damn laugh track after every sentence.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on March 27, 2012, 02:12:34 pm
it kills me that the big bang theory regularly trounces my favorite show on teevee, Community. somebody on metafilter said "TBBT is about normal people watching normal people pretend to be nerds, Community is about nerds watching a group of nerds pretend to be normal people" - you know what? just read that comment (http://www.metafilter.com/user/97321) and understand why i'm forlorn.

re: denialism - engagement is the only way to get it to die out within a few generations, but knowing when to engage is just as important as doing it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Jaded Tersk on March 27, 2012, 04:11:54 pm
Everybody believes in evolution.

They believe they don't, but really they do.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 27, 2012, 04:46:29 pm
The Big Bang Theory is pretty funny.  We've started watching it, despite the fact that it just prolongs tired stereotypes about smart people.  Sheldon's a classic wacky TV character, and I've liked Johnny Galecki since his days on Roseanne.

But Community?  Community is the funniest thing on TV and on my list of Best. TV. Shows. EVAR.  Multiple times I've found myself stunned at the multiple levels of comedy going on there.  I'm very glad it's back for at least one more season.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on March 27, 2012, 06:02:56 pm
I watch Big Bang on the plane sometimes. It's funny enough, and Stan Lee was on an episode I saw.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 27, 2012, 08:40:04 pm
Others before me have described BIG BANG THEORY as "a geek minstrel show" and...

While, of course, geeks have had it nowhere near as bad as African-Americans have, the general thrust of the idea seems to fit.

God I can't stand that show. Can't get past the surface "oh my God, this is how rich assholes who drive Beemers and were given their jobs by parents or fratbrothers think nerds act".

There is throwing up a little in the mouth literally occurs when I try to watch that show.

It's probably just me. I'm probably the asshole.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 27, 2012, 09:00:28 pm
I liked it before whatsisname started sleeping with Penny. But I haven't seen much of it past the first season.

But I'll be honest, I just think Sheldon is cute. Not "look at the sweet widdle Aspie" cute, either; I would fuck the awkward out of that boy.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 27, 2012, 09:00:48 pm
I went to a Catholic school that mostly taught Creationism with a light sprinkle of Big Bang/evolution, but I had an atheist/agnostic dad who served as a counter balance.  

Paul speaks some good wisdom here.  Sometimes you just have to realize someone else's world view is what it is.  This is what I'm realizing about bat-shit.  There is no talking sense into her sensless head.  She's on notice with me when it comes to mouthing her racist garbage, this clearly doesn't mean she has changed her mind about it, just that she has changed her mind about me.   She's not spoken a word to me since the circle, so you can imagine that working 15 ft from someone who's being that hostile is not fun.  I flip flop between angrily wishing she had at least a tiny shred of self awareness to being thankful that she's leaving me alone.

In regard to the TV show, I agree wtih LFM - whenever it comes on I say "oh, look we're geeks, isn't that funny" then I change the channel.  I have no stomach for that show.  But then I have no stomach for most sitcoms.  
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 27, 2012, 10:27:35 pm
To leaven my earlier post about my parents and their beliefs, I offer you this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/6876058424/).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 27, 2012, 11:15:28 pm
Awe, that's so sweet.  They look like good people.   This is the thing: people can have very different views from me, but so long as there's kindness in their hearts I can find massive capacity to love them.  It's more when people are selgiraffe and/or assholes that I'm gonna take exception and become driven that they need their ignorance yelled out of them.  I'm not teaching anyone anything when I get in that mode.  If I can just remind myself that the response should be "you're being an asshole, shut up" rather than "you're wrong, any let me explain why."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 28, 2012, 03:03:44 am
Paul's parents are rad people. I have talked at length with Mr. McRae on the phone, I can only assume his lovely wife is equally charming.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 28, 2012, 12:38:55 pm
Those photos are just awesome.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 28, 2012, 05:55:04 pm
This is the thing: people can have very different views from me, but so long as there's kindness in their hearts I can find massive capacity to love them. 

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

It doesn't matter what dogma you claim to follow -- what matters is what you DO.  I've known plenty of supposedly "enlightened" assholes.  I've known just as many people who follow an religion that seems absurd and cruel to me, but have hearts filled with love and kindness.  I have a lot more use for the second group.  It ain't what you say, it's what you do.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 28, 2012, 05:58:10 pm
To leaven my earlier post about my parents and their beliefs, I offer you this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/6876058424/).

They love each other.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 28, 2012, 07:47:23 pm
They love each other.

I saw them again the next day and they were in the middle of a huge fight and would hardly speak to one another.  Ha ha ha.  They've been married for 54 years.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on March 29, 2012, 01:17:12 am
I like the idea of The Big Bang Theory (the show) better than I actually like the show. It could have been done so much better. It's just that I watch it and it reminds me of Two and a Half Men, which I despise. So I watch The IT Crowd instead, it fills the "cheeky comedy show about people with autistic spectrum"-shaped hole in my heart.

I'm late to the party but this is basically what my exact post would've been.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on March 29, 2012, 07:59:02 am
I like the idea of The Big Bang Theory (the show) better than I actually like the show. It could have been done so much better. It's just that I watch it and it reminds me of Two and a Half Men, which I despise. So I watch The IT Crowd instead, it fills the "cheeky comedy show about people with autistic spectrum"-shaped hole in my heart.

I immediately thought of Community when I read this post, and I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's my favorite comedy right now (Louie is so good and can be funnier than anything, but it's in a different category to me) and is on the same level as Arrested Development, The Office (the UK series) and the first five seasons of The Simpsons. I have so much love in my heart for that show.

Two and a Half Man sucks a hard one harder than a toilet in an airplane bathroom. Maybe that's why I never got into the whole Charlie Sheen thing last year. Has he done anything good since Major League?

I instinctively disliked the Big Bang Theory but so many of my friends like it that I've watched a few episodes. I can appreciate the humour (when it isn't just 'here's a geeky word or reference, isn't that funny?') but I can't get past the damn laugh track after every sentence.

I can't understand how the laugh track (or I guess a live audience being prompted to laugh) has survived the last decade. I enjoy How I Met Your Mother (probably because I can't get enough of Alyson Hannigan... no, that's without a doubt the main reason) which I think uses a laugh track exclusively, but I can't stomach any other sitcom that uses one anymore. Maybe it's just bad writing because I still enjoy Seinfeld and some older comedies, but it's so grating now.

Yeah, so in a thoughtful and intelligent discussion of science, belief and tolerance, all I want to talk about is TV. Seriously. I could go on for hours about Remedial Chaos Theory.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 29, 2012, 08:06:46 am
Starting with the D&D episode of Community was a mistake. I felt like they were doing what people say Big Bang Theory does-- just perpetuating stupid ideas about what nerds are and what D&D is. I mean, really, they couldn't find some dorky writer to tell them "no, there is no such D&D class as 'archer,'" or something? Or else, their dorky writers did tell them this, and they ignored it?

I'm sure that one day I will look back at how foolish I was for not liking this show, but right now I just Do Not Get It.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on March 29, 2012, 08:40:15 am
I'm not one to tell someone how they should feel about something or whether they should like it, and I haven't seen enough of Big Bang Theory to comment on that comparison. The show is full of stereotypes but in a manner similar to The Simpsons?

Anyway, wasn't the game just made up to be the best possible game to save Fat Neil? And characters in the show are always fuck*ng things up in misguided attempts to help people. It was also just funny to watch a group of people who would never play D&D play D&D. Also and especially this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlQmdkyNQ90).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 29, 2012, 02:14:52 pm
What I'm understanding is, the real problem isn't that my parents don't believe in science, but rather that they watch a crappy sitcom that nobody here likes, and that they should be watching [insert your favorite crappy sitcom here].
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on March 29, 2012, 02:48:42 pm
hey paul it's just a sidebar. should we split this community chatter over toward a&e?

yep, community is that rare breed of sitcom that you can't just jump into. the characters have been building histories and the relationships are complicated and the personalities are so strong that you kind of have to start earlier on. the chicken fingers episode would be maybe the first great episode, and even to get the most from that one you need to know who the players are. i'd say start with the s1e1, skip to chicken fingers and watch everything from there in order. there is a continuity here that is as important as any other facet of the show. it's like the wire but funny.

louie is another favorite of mine, and i'd argue that it tosses continuity out the window. nothing really changes on louie, which is fine, and makes it probably harder for him to come up with, what, eight hours? of original content - and that doesn't count how funny it can be. louie is my favorite drama about comedy.

what makes community great is that it's a sitcom about sitcoms. it makes fun of sitcoms that are out there and sitcoms that used to be, while deconstructing and reassembling and honoring and homaging the form. some of the best episodes are the genre parodies; most of the episodes that don't parody a genre instead take apart a trope or series of tropes, to mine whatever humor can come from that, and most of them work really well too.

eh but i'm rambling. i haven't talked with anybody who's watched it and disliked it. people have typically either not seen it or enjoyed it. inev, if that one error (lost on me) yanked you out of that (fantastic!) episode, and the rest didn't pull you back in, well i'm curious as to why.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 29, 2012, 03:06:07 pm
What I'm understanding is, the real problem isn't that my parents don't believe in science, but rather that they watch a crappy sitcom that nobody here likes, and that they should be watching [insert your favorite crappy sitcom here].

Sounds about right.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 29, 2012, 04:58:43 pm
Yesterday I was telling my Mom that I had bought the first few Percy Jackson books for my Niece, starting with The Lightning Thief, and I gave her a brief rundown of the plot -- Percy finds out he's a demigod, son of Posiedon, and he has to go on a quest to find out who stole the lightning of Zeus before a war breaks out between Posiedon, Zeus, and Hades. The following conversation ensued:

Quote
Mom: Yeah, that doesn't sound like something I would read. You know, I'm into the, uh, one god stuff.

Me: Well, of course. But to me, it's like reading fairy tales. It's worth knowing mythology because it tells you a lot about the culture these stories came from.

Mom: What culture is that?

Me: Uh...ancient Greece?

Mom: Oh. I thought you meant a real culture.

The mind reels.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on March 29, 2012, 06:37:38 pm
Yesterday I was telling my Mom that I had bought the first few Percy Jackson books for my Niece, starting with The Lightning Thief, and I gave her a brief rundown of the plot -- Percy finds out he's a demigod, son of Posiedon, and he has to go on a quest to find out who stole the lightning of Zeus before a war breaks out between Posiedon, Zeus, and Hades. The following conversation ensued:

The mind reels.

The birthplace of democracy? Fuck that noise.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 29, 2012, 06:48:28 pm
I honestly believe that, to her, ancient history is SO far in the past that as far as she's concerned it never really existed. She went on to tell me that she didn't learn mythology in school at all. Nowadays, of course, they teach it in fourth, sixth, and tenth grade or what have you, and usually again in college, but back in the 50s, apparently it wasn't considered an integral part of a child's education. We have a much stronger emphasis on cultural literacy today, I guess.

Then again, these days, nobody learns to diagram a sentence. Different values for different times, I guess.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 29, 2012, 07:33:04 pm
I went to a Catholic high school where we could go to daily Mass before classes if we wanted to (I didn't) and we studied Greek mythology (also Hindu, Norse, and Native American).  That was the '80's at least though. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 29, 2012, 08:01:33 pm
In the place and time my mom went to school (small-town midwest, mid 20th century), they were more interested in producing good farm and factory workers than promoting cultural literacy. Parochial schools have always been more concerned with the liberal arts than public ones, at least in the U.S.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on March 30, 2012, 02:06:58 am
What I'm understanding is, the real problem isn't that my parents don't believe in science, but rather that they watch a crappy sitcom that nobody here likes, and that they should be watching [insert your favorite crappy sitcom here].

While I'm obviously happy to talk about what I watch (or listen to or read) I really don't care what people like. I was just digressing. Sorry. Your parents seem like fantastic people.

I honestly believe that, to her, ancient history is SO far in the past that as far as she's concerned it never really existed.

Maybe I don't agree with this but I kind of get it. And maybe I'm reading too much into it but I don't think it's a bad thing to question why liberal arts matter.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 16, 2012, 08:19:29 pm
I think this can go here:

Admin: "I'm getting you all new lockers - they'll go right in your office!"
Me, thinking about how I don't need more shit in my office: "No thanks, I have a locker down that long-ass hallway."
A: "Well, I'll get you one anyway, you're on the list."
M: "Whatever."

~a month elapses~

A: "Check out your new locker! Isn't it awesome?"
M: "It's 1/3 the size of my old one. This won't hold my shit."
A: "Yeah. Well, I need your old one for the consultants."
M: "I hope your brain gets devoured by space parasites."

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2012, 06:40:38 am
this guy on my facebook feed posts pictures CONSTANTLY of how "overcrowded" buses in St Louis are. Typically showing people standing in the aisles and holding the little hanging strap things. Isn't buses being this crowded... normal? Am I just a dick who doesn't know what it is like to ride public transit? Our system is really underfunded, and the reason this bus is crowded is that it's a popular line and at night the buses are not as frequent. If they wanted to increase the frequency of the buses, they would probably have to cut service in other areas.

At the same time, they are raising bus fares AGAIN without expanding service/frequency. Yikes. The economic realities of trying to run a bus system in a city this size/composition seem like a nightmare.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 18, 2012, 02:36:23 pm
The bus should be that crowded. That means it is operating to capacity.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 18, 2012, 09:20:16 pm
Email from Live Nation: Coldplay tickets! Also, if you like Coldplay you might also like Nickelback.

Really? Hm. Because they both suck?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2012, 10:07:20 pm
Had the same conversation ("do you bike at night? make sure you have reflectors, lights, etc") with my dad twice. He did not remember the first time.

Interestingly: the first time he told me I should never bike at night, and I told him I was going to, but I was going to do it in a safe way. The second time it went like this:

Dad: Wait, do you bike at night?
inEv: um...
Dad: what's the deal? Are you not answering because you think I'm going to say not to bike at night? You're a grown man! You can make your own decisions.
inEv: No, I was pausing because 3 days ago you told me I should never bike at night.
Dad: oh, I don't remember that. Hm.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 19, 2012, 01:49:38 am
Email from Live Nation: Coldplay tickets! Also, if you like Coldplay you might also like Nickelback.

Really? Hm. Because they both suck?

I guess if you like Coldplay you might also like Nickleback.  I like neither.

Remember when I was Fooled by Coldplay (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,540.0.html)?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on April 19, 2012, 04:19:28 pm
Just glanced back at that thread, and I'll admit I wish I had the "Whoomp! Clocks it is!" mashup.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 26, 2012, 04:08:07 am
Today, talking to this dorky high-school aged kid who came in to buy a soda, I had a flashback. 9th grade, class field trip:

Quote
Dan, if you like, flipped out and shot up the school, you wouldn't kill me right?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 28, 2012, 04:52:11 pm
I saw this at the Space Center (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/7121573279/).


fixed tags - choop
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 09, 2012, 03:28:56 am
Funny:

my friends from high school are all posting BS about how backwards and horrible NC is, and how they're glad they left that dumbass state, etc. One guy implied we should have another civil war and burn a bunch of shit down in the south to make them more tolerant of gay people. Also the obligatory "I'm moving away, I hate NC now, gonna move to a state that respects all couples etc"

whereas my SIXTEEN YEAR OLD SISTER posts:
Quote
You don't hate north carolina, you don't hate the south, you're just pissed and disappointed. Shit happens, go forward and change it for our children. Try again. And we will try again.
And we will succeed.

Sorry guys, you just got owned by a sixteen year old who understands how the real world works.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 09, 2012, 06:50:15 am
I saw this at the Space Center (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/7121573279/).


fixed tags - choop

i am a peasant, but i have full use of limbs.  1 out of 3 aint bad for the government.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on May 09, 2012, 12:45:29 pm
Sorry guys, you just got owned by a sixteen year old who understands how the real world works.

Pass this tiny can of Dr. Pepper on to her for me, wouldja?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 09, 2012, 01:27:57 pm
Also the obligatory "I'm moving away, I hate NC now, gonna move to a state that respects all couples etc"


Good luck finding one of those - NC was only the 31st state to do this.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 09, 2012, 05:36:37 pm
That number surprised the guy who probably shouldn't have been surprised by it considering that even his state of fruits and nuts passed a Prop 8 thing with a little help from the Mormons.

Y'know how the slavery issue is now set in the history books as a historical wrong for which a correction was inevitable? I am convinced that in the future the same take will apply to the issues currently surrounding the differently gender-ed.

Agree.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 09, 2012, 05:58:29 pm
I am seeing almost as much hate against North Carolina now as I was against right-wingers before the election. It's pretty bad on my Facebook feed right now. But I have to say, I am pretty ashamed of my adopted state right now. I honestly believed we were going to win this one -- everybody I know under the age of 40 opposed the amendment, and voter turnout among young people was overwhelming in my county.

If you look at the county-by-county breakdown, the only counties that went majority-against were the ones that are home to a major university: UNC-CH, Duke, NC State, UNC-Wilmington, Appalachian State, and UNC-Ashville, plus the city of Charlotte. Everywhere else, ignorance prevailed.

I got physically ill last night when I saw the results. Literally sick to my stomach. I still cannot believe it passed.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 09, 2012, 07:53:38 pm
I still wonder Who the hell are these people?  There's so much activity in my FB griping about this amendment. I have seen ONE person speaking in favor of it, a high school classmate who is now a minister in Tennessee saying "Good for you , NC!" And he doesn't have a whole lot of company in his comment thread.

So I realize I sound like Pauline Kael saying "Nobody I know voted for Nixon." These folks are out there, somewhere, and apparently there's a lot of them, but I'll be damned if I have any meaningful contact with them. It's mind-boggling.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 09, 2012, 07:58:42 pm
My mom would have voted for the amendment, if she'd bothered to vote at all. We had a mild argument about it last week after she saw something anti-amendment in my FB feed.

Which is what prompted me to actually go in and make those FB lists that I've been putting off for three years or so. Because I'm tired of not being able to share anything political on Facebook because the vast majority of my family is ultra-conservative.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 09, 2012, 07:59:25 pm
Yup. I have a big list called "work".
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 09, 2012, 08:09:10 pm
Obama says fuck it, same-sex marriage should be legal (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/us/politics/obama-says-same-sex-marriage-should-be-legal.html?_r=1&hp). Not sure why he waited a while after Biden said he was cool with it, but better late etc. That oughta fire up the Fox News crowd nicely.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 09, 2012, 08:16:44 pm
Oh shit yeah.  Now we just got to legalize.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 09, 2012, 08:45:07 pm
Don't President's just hang on to the President title (by which I mean, you don't use "former")? I can never remember that shit.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 09, 2012, 09:05:21 pm
What about Mr. President?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mirfVncczUc
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 09, 2012, 09:17:03 pm
If the right person's saying it (http://youtu.be/k4SLSlSmW74).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 09, 2012, 10:36:19 pm
The officially proper way to address the U.S. President is "Mr." (Or Mrs., should that blessed day ever arrive.) To call one "President X--" is actually incorrect, but it became necessary at times when there were multiple people with the same last name in federal government (Adams, Kennedy) and so some journalists still use it and/or switch between forms of address to introduce variety.

I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle about it. "Mr." is perfectly respectful in this context.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 09, 2012, 11:01:58 pm
That's how you think of it, but the style guide the journalist is following might be stricter. For instance, s/he may have been instructed to use "the President" or "Mr. Obama," but never "President Obama."

IDK, you read the whole article, so you can decide which it is, but the writer of the article may not have had much leeway, or the editor might have changed a few words here and there without the author's knowledge on input. That kind of thing does happen. So I wouldn't put too much stock into it, is what I'm saying.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 09, 2012, 11:57:11 pm
Yes, OK. That I can see.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on May 10, 2012, 12:31:38 am
I'm pretty sure that only ambassadors get to keep their titles for life. Everybody else loses the title when their term/appointment is up. Thus if you ran into Bill Clinton tomorrow it would be technically improper to call him "Mr. President." But this is one of those things where doing it right is going to make you look wrong in most people's eyes (see also: nonplussed).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 10, 2012, 01:07:30 am
Is it ok if I continue to refer to him as Mr. Funky President (http://youtu.be/8_ODghRTeyQ)?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on May 10, 2012, 04:14:54 am
If the right person's saying it (http://youtu.be/k4SLSlSmW74).

You better believe Kennedy hit that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on May 10, 2012, 04:21:47 am
So I realize I sound like Pauline Kael saying "Nobody I know voted for Nixon." These folks are out there, somewhere, and apparently there's a lot of them, but I'll be damned if I have any meaningful contact with them. It's mind-boggling.

Living in Utah, I'm pretty much surrounded by them at work and family gatherings.

It's interesting to see how my parents (who live in the Seattle area but are very much socially conservative) have changed their views on the subject. Or at least don't see it as black and white anymore. My dad's cousin is gay, and they have him and his partner over for dinner every once in a while. His cousin is now suffering from Alzheimer's, and I think seeing his partner care for him makes it hard for them to see this as a bad thing. My dad has admitted that he would have a hard time supporting something like the NC bill. I consider this a small victory on my part. This is my influence.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on May 10, 2012, 01:56:32 pm
I'm trying to wrap my head around this one asshole I know. He's a terrible person and I do my best to never talk to him. But he's one of these super-libertarian types. He offered to pay for people's tickets if they would go see The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged or whichever Rand book they made into a movie. But now he's posting all this Romans shit about how being gay is wrong. But libertarians are pretty much by definition against laws like the NC one. It makes my head hurt.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 10, 2012, 02:07:52 pm
Too often the truth is "I'm a libertarian! I believe people should be free to make their own choices whenever possible! Except when those choices result in things I don't like. Then, those choices should be taken away. But choices for me--that's good, there."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 10, 2012, 03:30:18 pm
I'm trying to wrap my head around this one asshole I know.

Could be worse.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on May 10, 2012, 05:49:41 pm
Is it possible to fist with one's head?  I don't think I want to know the answer to this.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 10, 2012, 05:52:38 pm
Shit my idiot supervisors say:

1) Supervisor: "In the first quarter of last year, we had 60% of our incidents. We have to get that number down."

2) Underling: "There is a statistically significant lowering of life expectancy from working night shifts."
    Supervisor: "I used to work night shift all the time and it never caused me any problems."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on May 10, 2012, 06:03:08 pm
I'm trying to wrap my head around this one asshole I know. He's a terrible person and I do my best to never talk to him. But he's one of these super-libertarian types. He offered to pay for people's tickets if they would go see The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged or whichever Rand book they made into a movie. But now he's posting all this Romans shit about how being gay is wrong. But libertarians are pretty much by definition against laws like the NC one. It makes my head hurt.

Maybe he's one of those state's rights kind of guys? Ron Paul thinks homosexuality is sinful but that the federal government should stay out of it.

I don't understand how some Christians can support Ayn Rand. I know you don't have to agree with everything a person says, but at the core of her moral code is a complete rejection of altruism, which at least by my readings of the Gospels seems central to Christianity.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 14, 2012, 02:07:23 pm
Quote from: Fox News crawl
Obama diverting attention from economy, dividing nation over gay marriage issue.

Yeah, sticking up for basic human decency - what a smokescreen!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 14, 2012, 03:09:46 pm
Yeah, sticking up for basic human decency - what a smokescreen!

fox news darlings would never try to divide the nation in regards to gay marraige.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 14, 2012, 08:15:15 pm
A fellow aut-mom posted this to FB today and I think it might be the worst poem I've ever read.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/2012/05/09/i-am-child-autism (http://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/2012/05/09/i-am-child-autism)

ProTip: Just because your autistic child is a genius doesn't mean you are too, bitch.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on May 14, 2012, 08:42:34 pm
Wow, that "poem" is just cringe worthy and also smarmy.  I hate when people try to use art in any form as a tool for something else.  It's like ramming a square peg into a round hole.  Nothing ruins a poem (and fails to illicit empathy) more than expository writing. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on May 14, 2012, 09:37:08 pm
I got to "But like a thief / Who steals and runs" and couldn't press on.

Damn folks - rhyming in a poem is neat and all - but when you twist the language beyond comprehension to accommodate a rhyme, you're doing it wrong.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on May 15, 2012, 03:27:19 am
I got to "Pop it."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 15, 2012, 04:33:30 am
at the GF's house for her grad party, her family started discussing ethnicity. But in a weird way where they had no fuck*ng idea what they were talking about. I was simultaneously a little mad, and pretty embarrassed for them.

"My ancestors were English"
"I mean, English isn't a real thing. It's like, the same as us. We speak English. They just have an accent."

also a discussion of whether it is correct to call any Hispanic person Mexican. AHHHHH.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 15, 2012, 12:39:09 pm
also a discussion of whether it is correct to call any Hispanic person Mexican. AHHHHH.

Pedro's family has been subject to this. My MIL is six feet tall, fair-skinned, and a natural blonde. On hearing her Argentine accent, though, many, many people will say, "Wow, I didn't know your mom was Mexican."

There is "colorblind," and then there is oblivious.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 15, 2012, 02:36:38 pm
It's odd how many people do not know that the language called Spanish is not limited to Mexico. You'd think they'd at least realize it is spoken in Spain (to say nothing of that little continent south of us).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 15, 2012, 03:04:19 pm
Pedro and I had to discuss whether or not to claim "hispanic" as well as "caucasian" as our children's heritage on school forms, etc. when Danger Boy entered the early intervention programs. Pedro and some of his siblings did; at least one of his siblings didn't. They definitely qualify, though. We decided not to claim it for our kids because they have no ongoing meaningful contact with Spanish culture. Though Danger Boy is suddenly fascinated by the Spanish language and wants his Abuelita to read to him in Spanish all the time lately.

This led to a discussion of the difference between Hispanic and Latino, and we weren't quite certain of the definitions so we looked them up and determined that Pedro's family is definitely Hispanic (which is defined by country of origin) but not Latino (which is an ethnic group). What an odd distinction to have to make.

Which, of course, makes me think of Louis C.K.'s revelation that he is Mexican (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RcdjpVJTGE). When I heard that interview for the first time, I was like, yessss, an Hispanic famous person who is as white-looking as my husband, maybe fewer people will be ignorant about that shit now.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 15, 2012, 03:11:56 pm
Quote from: Louis CK
I came to America as a little Mexican boy.

I've never seen that - that is awesome.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 15, 2012, 04:18:18 pm
i always refer to myself as half-beaner/half-cracker, but culturally, im mostly a cracker.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 15, 2012, 04:45:42 pm
I'm pretty sure I am straight-up cracker.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: smick on May 15, 2012, 05:10:55 pm
I'm a Heinz 57 myself.

My mom has done some pretty extensive Family Tree crawling.   On my mom's side, somewhere is Meriwether Lewis.   On my Dad's side there's slave traders, and most recently my great grandfather Fritz, who fought in both WWI and WWII... for Germany.

So...heritage, I guess isn't everything.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 15, 2012, 05:16:41 pm
Dad's side -- 100% Polish, been here since the 1920s and 30s. Mom's dad's side -- straight-up English colonials, descended directly from a Revolutionary War general and some other assorted Connecticut bluebloods. Mom's mom's side -- blended German, Irish & Scottish immigrants from the late 1800s.

The result: a tallish, dirty-blondish, blue-eyed mutt with fair but olive-toned skin who miraculously manages to tan easily and without burning. (I think somebody must've had an Italian mailman somewhere along the line.) Pretty much the epitome of white America. My kids are more German than anything else -- I've got a whole German branch on my maternal grandmother's side, and Pedro has it from both parents. But culturally, we're Geek.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 15, 2012, 05:33:29 pm
My dad was adopted into a family which was very active in the LDS church. "Old last name" + LDS retrieves 1.5m hits. I know they do plenty with the family tree stuff and we used to have a 100+ page xeroxed genealogy booklet on the family, but I don't know where it went. So that's one grandparent. Another emigrated from Russia, and the last two nobody knows anymore.

Although I'm fairly closely related to Twain somewhere (a fact which is in that "two truths and a lie" thread or whatever it was).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on May 15, 2012, 06:02:32 pm
Austrian on one side, French & Welsh on the other. Naturally, I'm short and blonde.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on May 15, 2012, 06:22:59 pm
The ladyfriend's mom spends virtually all her time on ancestry.com doing family tree research. I wonder if it's yet been broken to her that not only  does nobody in my family know anything more than one-generation back but I'm not blood-related to any of them anyway.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on May 15, 2012, 07:00:32 pm
When I moved back to the US in 1981, I was so dark skinned that I got called a Mexican kid quite a bit - until I opened my mouth and my Australian accent spilled out.  Then most folks were just baffled.  Brown person speaking heavily accented English.  The tan faded faster than the accent, but both are ancient history now. 

Despite sharing a name with a famous Scottish patriot, my family on both sides is Irish from two waves of the Diaspora; my Dad's side in the 1840s and my Mom's in the 1890's.  There's some Norwegian and a Luxembourger in there too.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 15, 2012, 11:13:35 pm
my moms parents are both from Oswego, NY, so im part whatever is common up there(maternal gram says german/french/etc) and my sperm doner is from el salvador.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 15, 2012, 11:55:58 pm
The moms is from Chile. Her dad's dad was British. The dad's people are from Ireland and Scotland and fancy old Puritan stock. I always forget about the "almost on the Mayflower!" part of my family because my grandfather got shunned (or something like that) so we don't have as much interaction with that part of the family.

I check Hispanic if it lets me check multiple options, otherwise Caucasian.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 16, 2012, 12:36:17 am
my moms parents are both from Oswego, NY, so im part whatever is common up there(maternal gram says german/french/etc) and my sperm doner is from el salvador.

I been to Oswego. (Ha ha, no I haven't - I recognized the name, but it just occurred to me that it's because of Lake Oswego.) Anyway, my dad is orginally from Binghampton, NY.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 16, 2012, 01:27:08 am
I know of Oswego as a place where:

a.) a lot of people go to a SUNY college to drink for four years
b.) the Syracuse-area Ren Faire is based
c.) my dad used to freshwater salmon giraffe when he was healthier
d.) the local minor league wrestling troupe is based out of.

These things sound like a lot of things to know about a place but they are not.

They are the most superficial knowledge of a place possible.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on May 16, 2012, 01:36:44 am
English, Scots-Irish, French/Dutch.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 16, 2012, 04:42:48 am
Polish all the ways, although I just found out that my mom's mom's mom's maiden name is a somewhat weird-sounding name (in Polish) that I assume was originally Lithuanian.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 16, 2012, 05:23:09 am
oh yeah! My uncle traced my mom's maiden name back, and found out we were Moorish Jews in southern Spain. It is definitely a weird name that I have not heard anywhere, Spanish or otherwise.

As a kid I thought a lot about how all of the cool "ethnic" sounding names in my family got overridden by my dad's dad's boring last name. My great-grandmother was named Lizzy Blaney for godsake. Blaney, Munro, and of course on my mom's side cool Spanish names... and I end up with a boring-ass English name.

Although I really do like doing my WASPy White Guy impression. Wear a tie and shake someone's hand firmly while stating my name authoritatively, "Dan B____."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 16, 2012, 12:21:53 pm
My SIL had to get married so that her "names would match," as she put it. She has a beautiful Spanish firstname-middlename contraction (one of those things they do in South America where they smush the two names together and drop a few syllables in the middle), and then a very boring, English last name. But her husband's father is Puerto Rican, so when she took his last name (she hyphenated), suddenly she's got this very long, South American-sounding name. This is not her actual name, but it's along the lines of "Maria Soledad Jones-Lopez."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 16, 2012, 11:29:58 pm
I'm half Slovenian, a quarter Tuscan Italian and a quarter Belorus.

I'mma whole crapload of southern and eastern European, basically.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on May 17, 2012, 12:58:06 am
lactose intolerant or no, 'smets?

(PC: lactase persistent)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 18, 2012, 08:47:42 pm
Stay classy.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 18, 2012, 10:56:19 pm
Well, hell, if it was printed somewhere you're off the hook!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on May 19, 2012, 10:02:55 pm
I wonder what the earring is meant to signify, my first thought it gay but I think that's more a modern thing, maybe gypsy?

Meanwhile if I were making a caricature for the sake of discrediting a race/religion/social group I wouldn't give them such sick threads.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 19, 2012, 10:13:10 pm
I rolled it out there for discussion Nabu, as I am continually blown away at the depth that those people at that time went to in order to build maybe the most fucked up version of shared reality I'm aware of.

I think your response is bullshit, so bite me lovely, bro. Go polish up your own class.



Well, sorry to twist up your undies as well.

I guess, for me personally, I see enough full-on racist bullshit right now, in my own day-to-day shared reality, that I don't need examples from the past to be shocked at (see Joel Ward's recent experience (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/racist-tweets-about-joel-ward-after-bruins-loss-to-capitals-is-another-ugly-mark-for-nhl/2012/04/26/gIQAjfZQjT_blog.html), for example). And indeed, I kind of like coming here and not getting additional examples of racism because of the fact that I am constantly undergoing a barrage of it. But I am happy for you that you have a low enough exposure to current racism that you find historical examples interesting instead of just another really depressing thing.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Nabubrush on May 20, 2012, 01:00:30 am
I guess my discussion wasn't the kind you wanted. Thanks for letting me play, winner.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on May 20, 2012, 04:27:33 am
I may be the only one that hopes this, but if all this sniping back and forth culminates into make-outs, please take video and post it here, okay?  I'm guessing it will be even hotter than the whole hair-blow drying thing.

That is what I am doing now, writing erotic friend fiction.




Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on May 20, 2012, 05:30:30 am
the last thing anybody wants to see is nabu and ash makeouts, kthx
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 20, 2012, 04:18:57 pm
I may be the only one that hopes this

You're not.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 20, 2012, 05:25:35 pm
You're not.

my curiosity is non-sexual
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on May 21, 2012, 06:43:11 pm
my curiosity is non-sexual

I'm like Ray and watch gay porn. I see it as a challange.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on May 21, 2012, 08:00:47 pm
I'm guessing, by their silence, that I've made they boys uncomfortable, which was not my intent.  Sorry guys.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 21, 2012, 08:05:03 pm
Still, quite an effective strategy.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 24, 2012, 12:11:33 am
this unpleasant college-drop-out dude on my facebook feed posted a big thing about how he lives below the federal poverty line, and yet can afford to feed/clothe/house himself as well as entertain himself with fancy food and electronics. He does not explicitly state what we are supposed to get from this information, but it still aggravates me.

Also, I do not think he is below the poverty line, because I know where he works. Maybe he (illegally) agreed to work for less than minimum wage/to work unpaid hours to make some kind of point about the free market?

Now he is responding defensively to a post I made about federally subsidized low-income housing.

It is interesting to me how sometimes just stating a fact (I live comfortably on a small amount of money, low income housing is not built in rich neighborhoods) can come across as an "argument." The other day my friend got mad at me for saying that you have to use a reusable vinyl bag hundreds times to make up for the material cost of making a sturdier bag vs. using recyclable plastic bags.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 24, 2012, 12:44:41 am
this unpleasant college-drop-out dude on my facebook feed posted a big thing about how he lives below the federal poverty line, and yet can afford to feed/clothe/house himself as well as entertain himself with fancy food and electronics. He does not explicitly state what we are supposed to get from this information, but it still aggravates me.

Also, I do not think he is below the poverty line, because I know where he works. Maybe he (illegally) agreed to work for less than minimum wage/to work unpaid hours to make some kind of point about the free market?


Is he looking at the poverty line for a family of four or something?

Pedro's last pay raise pushed him into the top 10% of income earners in the U.S. However, that's the number for an individual earner -- if you consider the fact that he is the sole provider for a family of four, we don't even make it into the top quintile. Not that we're poor, but me being a stay-at-home mom is basically the difference between us being middle-class and us being filthy fuck*ng rich.

Household structure is everything.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 24, 2012, 12:54:08 am
yes, I am almost certain he is looking at the number for a family of four. But I could not figure out how to ask him that without the possibility of harsh comebacks raining down on my tender frame.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 24, 2012, 01:30:41 am
Slightly off-topic, but has anyone seen "30 Days," that Morgan Spurlock show about people living in ways that are unfamiliar to them? The first episode features Spurlock and his then-girlfriend (now wife) spending 30 days living on minimum wage. It's pretty interesting.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: smick on May 25, 2012, 09:07:59 pm
I enjoyed the heck out of that episode.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on May 30, 2012, 07:47:51 pm
I just had a fun exchange (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7235/7303729944_6c1632de58_o.jpg) on Facebook.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on May 30, 2012, 08:32:45 pm
Oh... wow.  When you repeatedly say you would have posted something regardless of who it was about, it starts to make me think the opposite, you know?  Is this woman saying she posts every article she reads about every "offensive" thing every person of note does?

The thing is, how is it offensive to play golf in one country beacuse it was the anniversary of a plane crash in another country?  I'm thinking something awful happend on every calendar day of the year somewhere in the world.  

Likewise, how is it offensive to state that a horrible thing happened and related it to it's location?  There were Canadian internment camps where our Japanese citizens were held during WWII and it's awful that such a thing occured.  I take no offense to these camps being called Canadian internment camps - it's where they were located - and I'm confused as to why it would be wrong to be clear about the where these camps were...  Stating a location doesn't equal the finger of guilt pointed at an entire nation.  It just doesn't. 

How many poles, Ash?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on May 30, 2012, 08:59:37 pm
That part that really got to me was how she compared the President's gaffe to calling an Arab a terrorist. Then denied that she was equivocating.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on May 31, 2012, 01:00:54 am
The thing is, how is it offensive to play golf in one country beacuse it was the anniversary of a plane crash in another country?  I'm thinking something awful happend on every calendar day of the year somewhere in the world.

I think about this all the time. But, and I know nothing about the situation, when you're the leader of the free world you have to act like you care when someone like that dies. He's the head of state, it's in his job description. I don't find it offensive but it's certainly unwise. And if there was a pattern of this kind of behavior, I may question his ability to do this job. Again, I know nothing about the situation and I absolutely don't think Obama has an issue here.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on May 31, 2012, 02:20:44 pm
I'm not touching that with a 10 foot...

...pole.

I don't know any ten foot poles, but I have a cousin who is, like, 6'10".
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on May 31, 2012, 06:04:48 pm
I don't know any ten foot poles, but I have a cousin who is, like, 6'10".

/rimshot
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 31, 2012, 07:06:21 pm
Oh... wow.  When you repeatedly say you would have posted something regardless of who it was about, it starts to make me think the opposite, you know?  Is this woman saying she posts every article she reads about every "offensive" thing every person of note does?

The thing is, how is it offensive to play golf in one country beacuse it was the anniversary of a plane crash in another country?  I'm thinking something awful happend on every calendar day of the year somewhere in the world.  

Likewise, how is it offensive to state that a horrible thing happened and related it to it's location?  There were Canadian internment camps where our Japanese citizens were held during WWII and it's awful that such a thing occured.  I take no offense to these camps being called Canadian internment camps - it's where they were located - and I'm confused as to why it would be wrong to be clear about the where these camps were...  Stating a location doesn't equal the finger of guilt pointed at an entire nation.  It just doesn't.  

How many poles, Ash?

It's rightly considered offensive by many Poles, and the Canadian internment camp example is in no way comparable. It's correct to refer to those camps as Canadian internment camps because they were built and run by the Canadian government. The "Polish" death camps, on the other hand, were built and run by the Nazi Germans. The idea is, referring to the Nazi concentration camps as "Polish" death camps, even though it's geographically accurate, assigns some of the guilt of their existence to the Polish people, at least on a subconscious level. There's a whole Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Polish_death_camp%22_controversy) about it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on June 01, 2012, 12:18:02 am
When I read it, having no history of the discussion, my first thought was that they were camps that were in Poland and therefore probably primarily contained Poles. So if anything it made me sympathetic.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 01, 2012, 01:19:27 am
It's rightly considered offensive by many Poles, and the Canadian internment camp example is in no way comparable. It's correct to refer to those camps as Canadian internment camps because they were built and run by the Canadian government. The "Polish" death camps, on the other hand, were built and run by the Nazi Germans. The idea is, referring to the Nazi concentration camps as "Polish" death camps, even though it's geographically accurate, assigns some of the guilt of their existence to the Polish people, at least on a subconscious level. There's a whole Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Polish_death_camp%22_controversy) about it.

I get that it is offensive, but does intention mean anything? I know that the President gets briefed on this kind of thing, but is it possible that this simply got past him. I certainly didn't know, did you, or did you Google it after the fact? Do you believe that the President actually meant to assign guilt to the Polish people for the concentration camps? Does anybody? Or is this, as I originally stated, an overreaction, a tempest in a teapot, a ginned up excuse for Obama haters to be outraged over?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on June 01, 2012, 01:57:42 am
Quote
...would be perfectly happy making screen-door jokes...

My curiosity is piqued by these "screen door" jokes. Samples?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 01, 2012, 03:09:23 am
VM from grandma:
'Please don't call the hospital. My phone, computer, and tv are off, they're all bundled so one of the satellites must be off. I'm using a neighbors phone, I don't know what their number is. We went to the cable office and they couldn't help us. Call us back.'
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on June 04, 2012, 04:41:26 am
The thing is, how is it offensive to play golf in one country beacuse it was the anniversary of a plane crash in another country?  I'm thinking something awful happend on every calendar day of the year somewhere in the world.

After VW's reading insightful posts I read through all of this again, and just want to clarify that my previous reply to your post was written under the impression that Obama golfed on the day of the funeral of the President of Poland and not on the anniversary of the plane crash. If it was just the anniversary, I totally agree with you.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on June 04, 2012, 04:59:10 am
My curiosity is piqued by these "screen door" jokes. Samples?




« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:51:59 AM by Asherdan »

Dammit man, way to make me momentarily think I somehow got so drunk that I no longer recognised I was replying to something I'd posted myself.

Anyway, "screen door" joke is merely my perhaps-too-elliptical way of referring to one of the standard jokes about Polish people, concerning the allegedly shoddy craftsmanship of Polish submarines.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on June 04, 2012, 06:14:19 am
że nie jest śmieszne
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 10, 2012, 04:48:41 pm
Not quite sure where to begin with this one.

(http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/548051_309899852410695_606801637_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: linnea on June 10, 2012, 05:56:00 pm
It's rightly considered offensive by many Poles, and the Canadian internment camp example is in no way comparable. It's correct to refer to those camps as Canadian internment camps because they were built and run by the Canadian government. The "Polish" death camps, on the other hand, were built and run by the Nazi Germans. The idea is, referring to the Nazi concentration camps as "Polish" death camps, even though it's geographically accurate, assigns some of the guilt of their existence to the Polish people, at least on a subconscious level. There's a whole Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Polish_death_camp%22_controversy) about it.

Yes, but you know how Wikipedia articles are written, right? Many Polish people knew what was happening. They were kapos in the camps, helped build the camps, and helped run the camps. Not every Pole is guilty of collaboration, but the ones who cooperated with the Nazi regime certainly are.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on June 10, 2012, 06:24:43 pm
Not quite sure where to begin with this one.

(http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/548051_309899852410695_606801637_n.jpg)

Well if it's in National Geographic, it must be true. But I wonder if whoever created that image is just mocking the whole "if it's from the earth it must be good" attitude.

I read recently that the risk of developing lung cancer from smoking weed is vastly underestimated. Cypress Hill lied to me.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on June 10, 2012, 06:49:09 pm
Yes, but you know how Wikipedia articles are written, right? Many Polish people knew what was happening. They were kapos in the camps, helped build the camps, and helped run the camps. Not every Pole is guilty of collaboration, but the ones who cooperated with the Nazi regime certainly are.

Yes, quite a lot of Poles did collaborate with the Nazis, and they are obviously guilty of collaboration as a result. On the other hand, there are also more Righteous Among The Nations from Poland than from any other country, despite the fact that the punishment for aiding Jews was more severe in Poland than in any other occupied country. And surely it's fair to note that there wouldn't have been any death camps in Poland if the Nazis hadn't invaded the country and built them.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 10, 2012, 09:25:34 pm
Well if it's in National Geographic, it must be true. But I wonder if whoever created that image is just mocking the whole "if it's from the earth it must be good" attitude.

I kinda doubt it. It strikes me as the kinda thing that I am more accustomed to seeing from the right wing, a fabricated image that is so ridiculously false that only an idiot would believe it.

Okay, I did a little research and apparently the image is real (http://www.doobieduck.com/hummingbird%20images.htm), but it's not from National Geographic.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 13, 2012, 02:50:35 am
These two posts (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7240/7367434026_6966542303_c.jpg) were back to back in my Facebook feed just a little bit ago. It gave me a chuckle. I have a diverse group of friends, I guess.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on June 22, 2012, 08:46:43 pm
Hey everyone, remember Batshit?  Well her son straight up murdered someone when he got in an argument at a party last weekend.  Batshit has already concocted a bullshit story about how it was "self-defense."  Which explains why he's on the lamb right now, right?  I suppose the irrational-fly-off-the-handle-apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on June 22, 2012, 09:07:04 pm
Nah, I like gallows humour just fine, as per my apple joke.  Worst of all 1) she did something really shitty work-wise that has been totally forgotten because she's a total mess because of this and 2) she has pretty much been absent without pay all week and getting hella sympathy, but I fail to understand why.  Her kid murdered someone, shouldn't you get the opposite of sympathy, especially when you're a shitty person as well?  

Also, until this very moment, I thought it really was "on the lamb" and was wondering about phrase origin as I wrote it.  I figured it was related to "lambasted" and maybe it is, but the "b" is for the basted, not for the lam?  Also, mmmmm.... lamb.  I should thaw out some lamb chops to grill for dinner tomorrow.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on June 22, 2012, 11:46:09 pm
"On the lamb" conjured images related to New Zealanders and Welshmen wearing Wellington's for me.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 23, 2012, 10:40:06 pm
(http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/554709_430617113635424_1371228025_n.jpg)

Will Rogers is commenting on Trickle Down Economics? Really? I call bullshit on that quote.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 23, 2012, 11:14:45 pm
WikiQuote says it is legit.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 24, 2012, 01:30:51 am
Yeah, the guy that posted it on Facebook also schooled me. Sorry, I was wrong. My knowledge of Trickle Down Theory is more recent. Apparently it was an already disproven theory (not just by Will Rogers) when it became the backbone of "Reganomics" in the '80s.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 24, 2012, 02:02:13 am
I was surprised too. No need for apologies here, Paul. I am skeptical of that junk too.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on June 24, 2012, 07:34:10 am
I assume all of them are completely fabricated. A friend of mine posted one on the value of being true to yourself and not caring what other people think, attributed to Oscar Wilde. Five seconds of googling later, Olivia Wilde. Bit of a difference.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on June 25, 2012, 04:04:07 am
Oh good I've been invited to 'do you really care about us?' the Facebook event where I can 'attend' a non existent event to show how much I care about gay rights. Apparently caring enough to press 'accept' is super lots!

BUT WE'RE RAISING AWARENESS!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 26, 2012, 03:08:26 am
I'm see I'm not the only one who's fed up with this shit (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7130/7445159464_317d9403bd_o.jpg).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 26, 2012, 05:36:08 am
I'm glad that the guy who calls him out also uses the word "sheeple" in a weird way. MEGA DOUCHE.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 27, 2012, 01:18:27 am
Yeah, my mom gets a lot of shit like that posted by her ritchie-rich friends who have LITERALLY NEVER HAD A JOB.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on June 27, 2012, 05:04:38 am
I guess I missed that day in class, dammit.

So when Jesus fed the masses, he was preventing them from taking care of themselves, and instead setting them up to expect help from a benevolent deity?

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 27, 2012, 05:17:48 am
Today, as I often do, I was sitting in the break room eating leftovers out of a tupperware container. We started talking about food, and it came out that all three of the people sitting in there with me think leftovers are disgusting. They just throw them out. I had noticed how often coworkers commented on the fact that I was eating leftovers, but never picked up that they had negative feelings about leftovers. I thought they were just impressed by my cooking ability! Or something.

Also, yesterday I waited on a customer with a Swastika on one arm, and the Israeli flag on the other. What?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on June 27, 2012, 05:43:48 am
Today, as I often do, I was sitting in the break room eating leftovers out of a tupperware container. We started talking about food, and it came out that all three of the people sitting in there with me think leftovers are disgusting. They just throw them out. I had noticed how often coworkers commented on the fact that I was eating leftovers, but never picked up that they had negative feelings about leftovers. I thought they were just impressed by my cooking ability! Or something.

Also, yesterday I waited on a customer with a Swastika on one arm, and the Israeli flag on the other. What?

That's insane. Not the Israeli Nazi guy, well, he's probably insane too, but leftovers are awesome. It's insane to throw out good food just because you made too much.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2012, 05:54:25 am
Your coworkers are tools. Leftovers can be awesome. They probably eat a lot of fast food in which case they are right, leftovers are disgusting.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on June 27, 2012, 12:55:09 pm
I'm just going to pretend that Inev is trolling us and making up everything in that post, because I can't take it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 27, 2012, 01:10:20 pm
Also, yesterday I waited on a customer with a Swastika on one arm, and the Israeli flag on the other. What?

They're taking the symbol back, like rappers who say the N-word or women who Take Back the Night and shout the C-Word.

Or, perhaps, it was a backwards swastika and he was an Kabbalic Buddhist. You know, like Madonna, before she started doing Orange Catholic Zensunni Shai-Hulud Worship or whatever she is doing for attention.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 27, 2012, 01:20:14 pm
in regards to financial status, i have been in various stages of barely comfortable my whole life.  "leftovers" is just a picky-people-word for food thats there for the next meal or tomorrow, even.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on June 27, 2012, 01:42:06 pm
With the exceptions of chili and meatloaf my mom hates leftovers. So growing up she'd make a different meal ever night for dinner then on garbage night complain about all the food she had to throw away because none of us ate leftovers. If we pointed out there was a never an opportunity she'd say we should be eating them for lunches on weekends and as snacks.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 27, 2012, 01:44:14 pm
People who throw away leftovers are what's wrong with America. What the HELL people.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on June 27, 2012, 03:08:39 pm
Man, a lot of stuff is better once it's aged a day. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 27, 2012, 04:27:10 pm
I like some things for leftovers (lasagna, meatloaf, fried chicken (like revenge, best served cold), etc.) but I don't like serving the same thing for dinner two nights in a row, and my spouse absolutely refuses to brown-bag his lunch for work. (He has issues.) I will sometimes eat leftovers for lunch, but I am kind of picky about what I'll eat the next day.

So, like a responsible person who doesn't waste food, I try to avoid having leftovers of most things. It is not hard to figure out how much your family eats and cook only that amount. I will make extra rice/pasta/veggies sometimes because those are easy to recycle into a different dish. (Leftover steamed rice + veggies + one beaten egg = veggie fried rice for lunch). And sometimes I plan for leftovers -- I'll roast a whole chicken, we'll eat half of it, and I'll shred the rest and serve it the following night as filling for chicken tacos, or stir it into a casserole, or make soup (with stock from the bones and fatty bits).

I don't just throw food away, though. I find a way to recycle it, or make damn sure I'm not cooking more than we can eat. That's just ludicrous.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on June 27, 2012, 08:35:16 pm
I don't like to have the same thing for dinner two days in a row either, but you can skip a day, you know?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 27, 2012, 09:09:37 pm
Yep! Or bring it for lunch. I am almost always happy to eat delicious mexican slop (carnitas mixed with salsa, beans, cheese, and rice) or soup or pasta instead of expensive sandwiches from work.

What is bizarre is that, generally, I know how much my coworkers make. They do not make enough to be cavalier about throwing out food. Weird. Whatever, I'm sure there is something that I spend tons of money on that they think is silly.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 28, 2012, 12:44:36 am
I don't like to have the same thing for dinner two days in a row either, but you can skip a day, you know?

But that's a slippery slope. You could end up eating the same two meals for four days, or worse, the same three meals all week.

But like I said, I usually know pretty much how much we'll eat in a single sitting -- a pound of beef, chicken, or pork is just about right for me, Pedro, and Chaos Girl; Danger Boy doesn't eat meat. Side dishes are easy; half a cup of cooked pasta or rice and a cup of veggies per adult and half that for each kid.

The ratios work just fine in a stir-fry or pasta dish, too; if it has a creamy sauce I just cut out some of the meat. It's good for preventing leftovers and also for weight-loss related portion control -- you sort of have to stop eating when the food is gone. I plate our meals in the kitchen because I love a nice presentation, even for everyday dinners, and there's rarely enough for seconds.

Obviously when I cook for company I make more -- I cook enough food for a surprise last-minute guest to have a full plate -- but for regular weeknight cooking I've found that I can predict pretty much exactly how much food we will consume in a single sitting on a given night.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on June 29, 2012, 02:02:06 pm
I almost never eat the same meal twice in one week, but I can deal with using the same components in different meals.  As for left overs, hubby can't eat them because he's typically on the road for work with no access to a fridge or the ablity to heat things up.

What is the best left over?  Lasagna is up there.  I'd say pizza is the best of the best though.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on June 29, 2012, 02:03:43 pm
cold lamb chops and fried eggs: maybe the only thing better than bacon.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 29, 2012, 02:04:42 pm
Fried chicken, duh. Eaten cold, sans utensils. And sweet tea if you can get it.

Close second: meatloaf sandwich. (Wait, does that count as a sandwich?)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on June 29, 2012, 02:07:05 pm
(http://i.imgur.com/xNUme.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on June 29, 2012, 03:09:27 pm
cold lamb chops and fried eggs: maybe the only thing better than bacon.

Mmmmm, lamb. 

Ever eat any mutton?  The part of Western Kentucky where I'm originally from is famous for barbequed mutton.  It's like lamb only moreso.  Mmmm.

Dammit, now I want some mutton.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on June 29, 2012, 03:20:28 pm
Ever eat any mutton? 
Mostly in stew.  Mutton was big in Oz when I was living there in the '70's.  Might still be.  I can't believe how expensive lamb is here.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 29, 2012, 05:24:19 pm
Meatloaf might not be the BEST leftover but it IS the standard.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 29, 2012, 05:26:58 pm
Meatloaf might not be the BEST leftover but it IS the standard.

Perhaps, but is it a sandwich?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on June 29, 2012, 05:48:41 pm
Perhaps, but is it a sandwich?

I don't know, but it's a great example of a leftover that's better the second day.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on June 29, 2012, 06:09:09 pm
goddamnit of course a meatloaf sandwich is a sandwich, you people are just trying to get on my nerve
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 29, 2012, 07:02:58 pm
whats with TV kids always hating meatloaf?  its a giant fuck*ng baked hamburger.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 29, 2012, 07:13:51 pm
I think in another era everyone's meatloaf was dry and bad. My mom's meatloaf is awesome and I love it.
My dad talks about how until he was dating my mom, he thought only professionally trained chefs could make good food. His mom's kitchen had two spices: salt and pepper.


Today this "creative classhole" (can't take credit for that one) led a walk down a big street in St Louis, Delmar Blvd. He pointed to two buildings on opposite corners, and talked about how one was a successfully designed urban building and the other was not. Everyone on the tour nodded and agreed and snorted at how horrible the fast food joint was.
Fun fact: that fast food joint is extremely popular. The "successfully designed urban building" has been empty since I moved here in 2006.

When I was at WashU the student paper did a review of this place (Church's Chicken, a fried chicken chain) which was on the level of this BS (http://articles.cnn.com/2007-09-26/entertainment/oreilly.race_1_primarily-black-patronship-bill-o-reilly-glorifying-violence?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ). They essentially said "I was scared to go into this place because I am white, but actually it is a normal fast food restaurant that served me food."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on June 29, 2012, 07:21:22 pm
That Church's is still there?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 29, 2012, 07:54:40 pm
We had a Church's Chicken in Toledo when I was a kid. I still remember the '80's radio jingle.

"Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-Church's Chicken! T-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-tastes better!"

It was better than KFC, in my kid-pinion, but they only lasted a few years before they shuttered. I never figured out why. Maybe there's latent racism about that particular brand everywhere?

We don't have them where I live now.

Re: Meatloaf. My mom's meatloaf recipe involved pouring an entire can of cream of mushroom soup over the top of the meatloaf before baking it. It looks and sounds disgusting, but holy hell, it is the creamiest, moistest, most delicious meatloaf I have ever had the pleasure of savoring. I don't make it often, myself, because it's a total calorie bomb, but when I do, I serve it up with a side of mac & cheese and no apologies. And I make damn sure I have burger buns for the leftovers, 'cause that shit will straight up destroy a regular slice of white bread.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on June 29, 2012, 08:29:52 pm
That reminds me - I haven't made my mini-meatloafs in forever.  They are so good, and not at all dry.  Making a bunch of mini's reduces the likelihood of drying out because you only need to cook through smaller loafs without the worry of over cooking the outside to get the inside cooked. 

Also, when I went to my SIL's grad this week, I looked around and realized I was the only non-Caucasian in a room of around 300 people.  That was a tad creepy - not scary, just more of an awareness that in such a group, in such a small town, that plenty of the folks there would have some racist sentiments if given half the chance to voice them. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 29, 2012, 09:38:48 pm
Just had a meeting with a guy about volunteering at his organization, and I think that something I said was Shit My InEv says. At a certain point he seemed very defensive and put-off, and I felt like he was on the verge of telling me "no, you cannot work for us for free." As it stands he is going to call me sometime soon with some research to do.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 30, 2012, 02:12:23 am
There are Church's all over Houston. Fortunately Houston also has some really good fried chicken places.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 30, 2012, 02:26:44 am
When I was working the horrible T Mobile call centre job, one of my coworkers was asked in orientation by another if he goes to church.

He said yes to her and then, under his breath, turned to me and said "Church's friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiied chicken."

It was one of the funniest things I ever heard. Adri has used it to get around admitting she is godless to one of her students from a religious family.

It is pretty much great. It is a great thing to say.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on June 30, 2012, 06:28:36 pm
church's is pretty shitty. popeye's is the best of the chicken chains in my mind; their spicy fried chicken is damned good, and the biscuits are nice and buttery.

disclaimer: i have never eaten at a kenny roger's roasters. something tells me that life is indeed complete without that experience.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 30, 2012, 06:47:07 pm
I ate at Church's once because someone told me their southern style chicken sandwich was identical to a Chik Fil A. This is not true. Also, they were extremely rude to me.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on June 30, 2012, 09:20:40 pm
I am surprised by all the hate on Church's. I remember it fondly. But then, I was a little kid, and the Church's in the white-bread suburb I grew up in was maybe not a representative sample.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 30, 2012, 09:34:39 pm
Church's is pretty run of the mill. I don't hate it, but even the best chicken chain is pretty low grade, Popeye's included, although they are the best of the bunch.

Fried Chicken is easy to make ok, but surprisingly difficult to make great, apparently. In Houston the best place is Frenchy's (http://www.frenchyschicken.com/index.php), which is technically a chain now, but from what I can tell the new owners haven't changed anything.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 30, 2012, 09:44:04 pm
Bojangles chicken. KFC cole slaw. End of discussion.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on July 01, 2012, 05:33:43 am
fried chicken is near impossible to get perfect, and easy as the dickens to get horribly wrong.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on July 01, 2012, 04:02:04 pm
Forget the difficulty in making it - its cleaning up afterwards that always gives me pause when I consider the attempt.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: lprkn on July 03, 2012, 12:07:14 pm
January 20th, 2008: President Bush approaches the helicopter waiting to carry him away from the White House for the last time, turns to the crowd and says, "Ladies and Gentlemen... The Aristocrats!"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on July 03, 2012, 05:34:28 pm
Cute.  I'll send that one to my rock-ribbed friends.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 12, 2012, 03:45:59 pm
A young lady who I thought I was interested in told us that:
1. St Louis has no good breakfast food, because it is all classic fare instead of weird high-brow stuff.
2. My favorite Mexican place is "not authentic" and bad because they serve tacos with a few ingredients and Tortas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torta#Mexico) instead of dishes with names like "2 ENCHILADAS 2 TACOS SLATHERED IN REFRIED BEANS CHOOSE PORK BEEF OR CHICKEN."

I think I am coming to the conclusion that Chicago is the worst, and living there ruins people.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 12, 2012, 04:05:28 pm
1. St Louis has no good breakfast food, because it is all classic fare instead of weird high-brow stuff.
2. My favorite Mexican place is "not authentic" and bad because they serve tacos with a few ingredients and Tortas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torta#Mexico) instead of dishes with names like "2 ENCHILADAS 2 TACOS SLATHERED IN REFRIED BEANS CHOOSE PORK BEEF OR CHICKEN."

If you want something creative and fancy for breakfast, that's fine. But breakfast is the best meal in America PRECISELY because you can get a good breakfast anywhere. If she says "St. Louis has no interesting breakfast fare," that's her opinion, but to dismiss it as not "good" is bullshit. Pancakes and waffles are fuck*ng awesome, and I don't need truffle butter or artisinal bacon to enjoy them.
And #2 is just heart-breakingly stupid. This isn't the girl with the cupcake tattoos, is it? That would be a downer.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on July 12, 2012, 04:09:02 pm
"I thought one of those G's stood for 'Game.' Guess not?"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 12, 2012, 04:31:15 pm
Yup. Cupcake tattoos.

I guess what bothers me the most is that I am totally aware that my food preferences are illogical. Food is not a logical thing, and I do not pretend to have some overarching food ideology. There are plenty of foods that I like that are greasy and low-brow and I don't care.

But La Vallesana is a great restaurant, and I eat there at least once a week. If that food is not "authentic" then maybe Mexican food is bad, and they are saving me from how bad it is. If anything I think their quality may have declined a tiny bit recently, or maybe it is just that their prices have doubled since i started eating there a few years ago. But, you know, doubled to a normal price for food in a restaurant building that they just completed, instead of being a paper plate with tacos on it served out a literal shack with some picnic tables around it.

Also, note the tension between being mad that all the St Louis breakfast food is low-brow, and only liking Mexican places with giraffebowl-sized margaritas and food doused in grease.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 13, 2012, 03:20:23 am
It is really interesting working someplace where I am the minority. Having to explain to people things like, "yes, I am legitimately scared when I hear gunfire, because I had literally never heard gunfire until I moved here" and "no, that lady is not being a bitch. I can confirm that the way that you talk is difficult for some people to understand. I did not understand you when I started working here."

Also, today a coworker (who is 30 with kids) asked if I thought she could attend WashU when she is done with this year of community college. That felt a little like a punch in the stomach.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 14, 2012, 02:05:46 am
I am going to preemptively post:

Fuck Chicago. Lamest city in America.

Because I have been saying that all day, and I'm sure someone out there thinks it is jerky and stupid.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on July 14, 2012, 02:45:12 am
i had fun when i visited chicago. nice hotel near michigan ave, plenty enough money for food and shopping. awesome second city show. wasn't hanging out with locals.

those are probably the differences right there.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on July 14, 2012, 03:14:00 am


Fuck Chicago. Lamest city in America.


Wow.  You're really becoming a true St Louisan, huh?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 14, 2012, 04:30:57 am
Quote from: AugustWest
Wow.  You're really becoming a true St Louisan, huh?

Oh, that's a cannin'.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 14, 2012, 07:37:40 pm
Yup. I guess if you think about it Chicago has metaphorically stolen away St Louis's girlfriend.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 15, 2012, 02:18:41 am
Hey man.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on July 15, 2012, 02:53:16 am
A woman commenting on Facebook about her recent purchase of a Ford Mustang.

"it's an American car, and that makes me proud. I was sniffing at a candy-apple-red Saturn Sky until Obama shut down that wonderful company."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 15, 2012, 02:57:53 am
So she's been working on this car decision since 2009 or something?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on July 15, 2012, 03:19:57 am
So she's been working on this car decision since 2009 or something?

I don't know, possibly. But really, how warped is your perception that you blame Obama for the demise of Saturn?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 15, 2012, 03:57:43 am
I thought it was Mittons Romney who went around destroying and exporting american industry and that socialist Obama took all our tax money to bail them out.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on July 15, 2012, 12:10:52 pm
I would have bought a Pacer if that darn Obama hadn't killed AMC.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on July 15, 2012, 04:29:22 pm
I was all set to put up Solyndra panels until that B.Hussein Obama...oh wait...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 15, 2012, 07:54:36 pm
I don't know, possibly. But really, how warped is your perception that you blame Obama for the demise of Saturn?
Well, considering that the government was probably the largest GM shareholder at the time, it's not thhhaaaatttt much of a stretch compared to some things people say. However, the fact that no other company was interested in buying more than than the name (and even that fell through when Penske backed out) suggests that it was not a sustainable brand. They had to stop making the plastic cars because plastic cars went out of style. They more or less lost their identity at that point.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 15, 2012, 09:54:41 pm
My first car was a plastic Saturn.  I used to talk shit about how it was dent Proof and all, and we would go about hitting people's trash cans and taking it off roading and shit (sorry, that is hella lame but it was OKC suburbs and I was 16, what are you gonna do?  Get drunk and stoned and do stupid, destructive shit was our answer).  Anyways, eventually people would kick it cause I talked so much shit about it.  One time my friend kicked it, and, instead of denting, the door just cracked in half.  I wonder why plastic cars went out of style?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 16, 2012, 10:19:08 pm
Today my coworker was going off about how Global Warning makes no sense. Probably should have just smiled and nodded. I have this stupid idea that if you explain things to people they will understand them. I was pretty proud of my metaphor to the length of the checkout line but she was just NOT HAVING IT. (every month there are certain days when the checkout line gets really really long. This is usually for some reason like a baseball game downtown or a huge convention down the street at the convention center. throughout the year there are always these days. But if we started having more and more long-line days every year, that might indicate a trend. The fact that there have always been days with long lines doesn't mean it is insignificant when there start being more and more days with long lines. It is about frequency of high-intensity days, not level of intensity.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on July 16, 2012, 10:58:32 pm
Pearls before swine, inev.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on July 16, 2012, 11:29:38 pm
I have this stupid idea that if you explain things to people they will understand them.

Give this up now. It's nothing but heartbreak.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on July 17, 2012, 03:14:56 pm
Insane coworker yesterday: the iPhone is provably the best phone because it sells more than any individual model of any other phone and all the other companies do is copy it. I stayed out if it. People tried to point out things iPhone did second but he'd just say really loud "but they still sell more, they still sell more." This is the same guy who when discussing what he'll do when he wins the lottery complains that the really high-end clothes don't have any logos on them so he'll still have to keep buying the stuff that's a step or two down so people can see the logos.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 17, 2012, 03:39:38 pm
So I assume he buys every album that hits #1 on the Billboard charts, since obviously those are the best ones since they sell the most.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on July 17, 2012, 04:09:03 pm
If I get that rich I'll have a personal tailor.  No labels, but best of all, no tags.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 17, 2012, 05:26:22 pm
If I get that rich, I'mma buy a minor league baseball team and wear a new fancy top hat to every game.

Tossing the top hat into the crowd at the end of each contest.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on July 17, 2012, 06:33:56 pm
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/252760_10150923105706286_1611277790_n.jpg)

The guy that posted this works as a consultant and has several mortgages out on multiple rental properties that he and his wife own & manage for additional income.

But he has a vegetable garden! Fight the power!

Edit: image tag
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on July 18, 2012, 09:41:41 pm
You know what I hate?  Extremely poor poster lay out!

(http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/SideShowMelanie/terribleposter.jpg)

"Dan Silljer and... who?", oh you want me to look up and to the left now, okay.  "In support of creative August 2nd..."" no wait... Terrible.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 18, 2012, 11:01:38 pm
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/252760_10150923105706286_1611277790_n.jpg)

The guy that posted this works as a consultant and has several mortgages out on multiple rental properties that he and his wife own & manage for additional income.

But he has a vegetable garden! Fight the power!

Edit: image tag

That made me laugh as hard as all the ' DONT BUY GAS ON TUESDAY! ' kind of posts. The delusion that walmart will feel your personal boycott is sad. Is the dude really telling me to revert to a barter and trade economy? Because FU banks? yikes.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 18, 2012, 11:10:06 pm
I do not know if WalMart has to feel my boycott for it to me a moral choice that I have made not to shop in their store. I do not have any delusions that anyone gives a shit. But I will not give them my paychecks, which would be a lot lower if I were not unionized.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 18, 2012, 11:13:36 pm
I do not know if WalMart has to feel my boycott for it to me a moral choice that I have made not to shop in their store. I do not have any delusions that anyone gives a shit.

This, plus I will steal from them.  They are the only store/person I will steal from.  To make myself feel even better about it I won't even steal things I need anymore, only useless shit I'll throw away.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on July 20, 2012, 01:00:51 pm
(http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc497/jldunston/Fullscreencapture720201284729AMbmp.jpg)

LOL.

Edit: OMG. Pedro just told me that the second of those posts is in extremely poor taste because there was a shooting at a screening of the film (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57476379/mass-shooting-at-batman-screening-in-aurora-colo.-at-least-12-dead-dozens-more-wounded/) in Colorado, killing 12 and injuring 50. I had no idea.

I thought the guy who posted the second status was an idiot. Now I know he's a jerk.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 20, 2012, 04:28:16 pm
I am going to have a Problem if I keep reading/commenting on my neighborhood facebook page.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 22, 2012, 02:36:38 am
http://blogs.babble.com/strollerderby/2012/07/12/judging-a-book-by-its-cover-a-6-year-old-guesses-what-classic-novels-are-all-about/

A 6 year old takes some guesses about classic books based on their cover art. That kid is going to be seriously confused when she learns A Clockwork Orange is not in fact about colorful fancy *****s.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 22, 2012, 03:02:51 am
"The story is about a very very hairy eagle who hangs out with fancy ladies."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 24, 2012, 03:02:04 pm
oh my god, boss, this is why you do not become friends with your employees. They will start posting on your facebook wall complaining about the other managers.

yet for some reason your response is to post replies agreeing that the manager is frustrating. WHAT.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 24, 2012, 10:10:44 pm
He's just being hip. Yucking it up on the facebooks with the kids, identifying with their managerial frustrations. Don't let him know about the tweeter, though.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on July 24, 2012, 11:04:36 pm
This just in,  18 year old kids, even rich famous ones, still have a lot to learn. (http://aptn.ca/pages/news/2012/07/24/justin-nuff-indian-bieber-expects-free-gas-in-canada/)  The backlash up here has been pretty strong.  Honestly though, he's just a kid with plenty of time to grow out of being a typical teenager.

Edit: Linky Fixy -- jl
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 25, 2012, 12:16:29 am
Grandma: Old dimes have silver in them. Don't throw out your old dimes. I hear you're joining a marching band.
Grandpa: Let me show you how to work a slide rule. Its worth money. Don't break the slide rule.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on July 25, 2012, 02:50:20 pm
You're joining a marching band?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 25, 2012, 03:37:25 pm
You're joining a marching band?
Hell no. And I already know how to use a slide rule. I have no idea where this stuff comes from. I've given up on correcting or arguing with them and I just enjoy the entertainment.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on July 25, 2012, 05:22:54 pm
I have no idea where this stuff comes from. I've given up on correcting or arguing with them and I just enjoy the entertainment.

I've been like that with my Dad since I was about 11.

Are you sure about the marching band thing, though.  I have a great vision of you marching down the middle of the road in your hand tailored Italian suit playing a tuba amidst other similarly attired young urban professionals.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 27, 2012, 03:06:24 am
Oh, huh, who could have guessed that everyone would get fired for posting that dumbass shit on facebook? Gosh. I guess we'll just have to chalk this one up to "lessons learned."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on July 27, 2012, 03:11:34 am
I don't know how to use a slide rule and I'm old enough that I went to school when they still used them.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 02, 2012, 06:43:24 pm
My sister supports Chick-fil-A. yay. (http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/Chick-fil-A-fans-asked-to-support-chain-by-dining-today-opponents-plan-Friday-action-164609056.html). She's the most well spoken person in that piece. She's a well spoken bigot.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 02, 2012, 07:34:50 pm
I want to post this (http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/561196_10151072123669555_1434577693_n.jpg) on her wall.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on August 02, 2012, 07:58:34 pm
I don't understand how anyone could take the side of a fast food chain in any moral arguement and fail to understand that it makes them look foolish.  It's a fried chicken restaurant.  It's a fried chicken restaurant.  It's a fried chicken restaurant.

It's all a little weird and embarassing to watch from up here.  Even if I were the most homophobic person on earth, I can honestly say that the legalization of same sex marriage has had no impact on my life in any way what so ever.

Also, hasn't anyone learned from the example of Los Pollos Hermanos?

I know how I'll show those narrow minded people!  I'll buy some Oreos.  That'll show them!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2012, 09:35:27 pm
I have known that CFA is run by right-wing nuts since I worked there in 1998. If I was going to stop eating there over their politics, I'd have done it a long time ago.

I think they have the right to give their money to anybody they want. I don't have to agree with them. I totally respect the folks who won't spend their money there any more, more power to you. But as for me, I don't give enough of a shit to try to explain to my kids that we can't go to their favorite restaurant any more because some guy who has almost nothing to do with our local franchise doesn't like it when two boys get married.

So boycott all you want, but don't treat me like shit for refusing to join your pointless protest. I agree with you, they are religious lunatics who are pursuing a homophobic agenda. They have been doing it for years and it is extremely unlikely that they'll give it up any time soon. Now go away and stop politicizing my lunch.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on August 02, 2012, 10:02:57 pm
As I said elsewhere on the internet, what I am worried about is that if I boycott them, and then they change their politics, I will actually have to start eating their food. And I really don't want to eat their food.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: lprkn on August 02, 2012, 10:37:23 pm
I have known that CFA is run by right-wing nuts since I worked there in 1998. If I was going to stop eating there over their politics, I'd have done it a long time ago.

Same here, I was raised by right wing nuts and I've known about CFA's position for a long time. I thought it was silly when people tried to boycott Oreos for about 5 minutes when Nabisco said they supported gay rights, and I think it's silly for people to boycott a fast food chicken restaurant.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 02, 2012, 10:57:54 pm
This is more than that to me. This is my sister standing up and declaring on Television that she is proud to be a homophobic bigot.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on August 02, 2012, 10:58:34 pm
i consider my decision to stop eating chick-fil-a a lifestyle choice. i made it years ago, when i first heard of their policies, and haven't been back to one since. i won't go back until their corporate policies change, and probably their leadership as well, since either without the other is most likely lip service.

i have zero issue with their CEO's right to free speech. he should have zero issue with mine. however, i'm also an opponent of corporate personhood, so i disbelieve that a company has a right to free speech, or any rights for that matter. even then, my wallet-vote against chick-fil-a holds meaning to me and to my gay friends and family members.

but i'm also the kind of kook that tries not to see films starring scientologists (though that's getting harder and harder these days) because that's one scary muffuggin' cult that needs more money like a kindergarten needs an electric chair.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 02, 2012, 11:07:23 pm
You realize that if you look hard enough you're going to find something you disagree with in any company, or person, right?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on August 02, 2012, 11:11:02 pm
yep

edit: i should expand.

civil rights are a hugely important issue to me, and that's why i'm currently choosing to focus on promoting gay rights and womens' rights in and eliminating homophobia and sexism from american culture. i wish i could do more than i'm currently able.

murder and abduction and cultism are also very important issues to me, and always will be; since they are but three tools used by the cult of xenu, i'm going to continue that wallet-vote against until i have no further need.

when women and gays achieve actual equality, maybe then i'll go have a pickley chicken sandwich. or biscuits and gravy at a cracker barrel. or shop thriftily at salvation army, or be overcharged for a tee shirt or pencil eraser at urban outfitters. until then, i'll buy a pair of jeans at jcpenney and a stack of boxer briefs at target and (oddly) watch a disney film on cable.

finally: the only reason i don't drink starbuck's coffee is because the flavor is terrible. everything else i've read or heard about the company seems pretty much in line with what in my opinion is how a company should comport itself. even if i do happen to support unionism.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on August 02, 2012, 11:24:01 pm
yeah hey there's another one that's pretty good, trader joe's. i just wish there was enough room in any single one of them to navigate with a cart and not get claustrophobic in the aisles. that and i wish their non-prepared foods selection was better.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2012, 11:46:51 pm
FEELING YOU!

Hey, there! Get a room!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 03, 2012, 12:56:10 pm
(http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m869s7Zuzw1qar7pxo1_500.png)

"die in a pit of snakes, everyone, everywhere, ever."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on August 03, 2012, 01:44:00 pm
ADawg posted an anti-Obama image that is also quoting Romney. It's taking all my focus not to point this out.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 03, 2012, 01:51:27 pm
I actually agree with the ACLU that it's not cool for municipalities to ban CFA for the CEO's stance. Individuals can do whatever the hell they want, but for the government to crack down on opinions is bad stuff.

But the thing that makes me most apeshit about this whole thing is people like Sarah Palin saying the liberal boycott of CFA is an assault on free speech. What the FUCK?! How many crazed right-wing Christian groups have huge lists of companies they want their members to boycott because they did something that offended them? Do you consider those an assault on free speech too? No, of course not, because those are people you like (or who you want to like you). It all depends on whose ox is being gored, don't it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on August 03, 2012, 02:13:16 pm
Is the whole 'municipality bans CFA' bit a ruse, though? At least a willful misinterpretation of various mayors' open letters? Frex, the Boston one: he strongly suggests that if CFA set up a store there, it wouldn't do very well due to the strong public opinion there. A mayor saying "You won't be welcomed here" is no sort of ban, and I haven't heard any news that these mayors have approached their legislatures to appeal for actual impediments to chickfila setting up shops.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on August 03, 2012, 02:46:11 pm
But as for me, I don't give enough of a shit to try to explain to my kids that we can't go to their favorite restaurant any more because some guy who has almost nothing to do with our local franchise doesn't like it when two boys get married.


I don't know that I've ever eaten Chick Fil A, but I'm not going to start now.  I don't want to have to explain to my gay child why I'm spending money supporting a company that thinks she ought to be treated as a second class citizen.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on August 03, 2012, 03:56:28 pm
But the thing that makes me most apeshit about this whole thing is people like Sarah Palin saying the liberal boycott of CFA is an assault on free speech.

I am tired of people who don't understand the concept of free speech. You are free to say what you want. People are also free to react however they want to what you say.  We don't have a guaranteed right to be loved for our opinions.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 03, 2012, 04:05:18 pm
Truth. There's been an utterly stupid debate on DC sports blogs about people who should "O!" (for the Orioles) during the National Anthem at Nationals games. The anti-side says a) you're in Washington, not Baltimore, and b) it's kind of disrespectful to the anthem, so cut that shit out. One guy on the pro-O side just posts over and over again, "First amendment First Amendment First Amendment." Well, what fuck*ng ever. No one is suggesting that the government establish a law to prevent you from yelling O during the anthem. It comes off as "I can continue to do this thing that annoys you, and you can't stop me! Nyeah!"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on August 03, 2012, 05:28:21 pm
Sure, I guess the First Amendment protects your right to be an asshole. You're still an asshole.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 03, 2012, 08:21:25 pm
Sure, I guess the First Amendment protects your right to be an asshole. You're still an asshole.

I support Dan Cathy's right to be an asshole. I am saddened to know there are still millions of people in this country that are proud to stand up and be counted as an asshole.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 03, 2012, 08:57:49 pm
I am with JL on this one. Got in a big argument with all 5 roommates and their girlfriends about this two days ago.

If I had thought for another minute I would have pointed out that by smoking cigarettes, they are giving ~5$ a day to a company that literally kills millions of Americans.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 03, 2012, 08:59:19 pm
That cigarette thing is not relevant in any way here, sorry.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 03, 2012, 09:06:55 pm
That cigarette thing is not relevant in any way here, sorry.

I agree. Now if they were taking their cigarette profits and spending it to deny rights to non smokers it would be close.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 03, 2012, 09:15:54 pm
The tobacco industry spends its profits on lobbying to ensure they can continue killing people (parents, siblings, friends, lovers, etc) with their toxic products. I guess you are right that that is not the same as hurting people's feelings.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on August 03, 2012, 09:38:04 pm
there's always been a strong conservative force that fights against progress, since the fuck*ng dawn of man. it's goddamned tribalism and the tribes keep getting smaller. i just want to grab people by the ears and shout down their mouths WE'RE ALL THE SAME fuck*ng TRIBE
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on August 04, 2012, 12:48:16 am
there's always been a strong conservative force that fights against progress, since the fuck*ng dawn of man. it's goddamned tribalism and the tribes keep getting smaller. i just want to grab people by the ears and shout down their mouths WE'RE ALL THE SAME fuck*ng TRIBE

Amen!

THERE IS NO THEM!!!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 04, 2012, 01:02:35 am
The tobacco industry spends its profits on lobbying to ensure they can continue killing people (parents, siblings, friends, lovers, etc) with their toxic products. I guess you are right that that is not the same as hurting people's feelings.

One is a company selling something dangerous.  The other is people rallying behind a fuck*ng chicken restaurant because their president hates gay people just like them!  There is no connection in my mind.  If you can show me that connection I'd be happy to change my mind.  If I ate meat I may or may not still eat from there, but I sure as fuck would not have yesterday.  I actually probably wouldn't eat there either, not because of money so much as just not wanting to look pro-homophobia in any way (cuz that's fuck*ng stupid).

Anyway, both of those things should be aloud in the USA, so it doesn't really matter?  It only matters if you ate at chick fil a yesterday to support an anti gay agenda, cause then you are a dick.  I actually called my mom yesterday to remind her that, no matter what I do or how I embarrass her I won't be at any paterno or cfa rally's, so I can only be a fuck up for my lifetime.  The future will not see pictures of me being a fuck up.  I cannot imagine a similar perspective w cigarettes?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 04, 2012, 01:03:57 am
Amen!

THERE IS NO THEM!!!

Wait, wait, are you saying the universe is alive and everything on this planet is just the universe experiencing itself?  Far out
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on August 04, 2012, 03:43:26 am
I thought the company itself actually gave financial contributions to these groups that, among other things, lobby against gay marriage? If that's the case I think the chain of causality makes a boycott pretty justified. Not that I'm going to judge anyone who eats their chicken, I cause way more human suffering with most of my daily spending choices.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 04, 2012, 04:21:46 am
I tried the conservative christian hate chicken tonight and it was pretty good. Later I had some gay friendly KFC (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/kfc-loves-gays-john-goodman-colonel-sanders-new-funny-die-video-aimed-chick-fil-a-article-1.1127382).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 04, 2012, 04:31:29 am
I saw that clip before and I think Mr.Goodman says it best: "Personally, I don't give a shit. You're all just a bunch of money mouths talking and eating." That is the kind of ambivalence most companies should have towards such things as gay marriage.

IMHO this conversation could/should have ended with Keith's last comment.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 07, 2012, 12:10:47 am
IMHO this conversation could/should have ended with Keith's last comment.

Well it didn't, sorry (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/7729038904/in/photostream).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 27, 2012, 11:17:01 pm
Last week I hid a whole bunch of people from my Facebook feed and it felt really good, like getting a haircut.

Just a minute ago one of my friends posted some outrageous bullshit and I started to debunk it. I caught myself in mid Google. I went back to Facebook and hid them from my newsfeed instead. It felt good.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on August 28, 2012, 03:49:35 am
i dropped like 30 people from my friends list a couple weeks ago. because they're basically strangers who i've met once or twice, not because they've offended me. though there's one guy who uses SO MANY APPS i feel like unfriending him would be easier than blocking every app
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 28, 2012, 04:47:12 pm
None of my friends enjoy me calling the mayor a "racist shitbag."

I find it really weird to be in an argument where my aggressive, angry roommate is saying that it is more important for a politician to be "civil," and I am saying that they should call each other out on being racist shitbags.

This city doesn't need more polite politicians. It needs people who know what the fuck is going on. I would totally vote for an asshole who advances the interests of citizens.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on August 28, 2012, 06:54:18 pm
Inev, you know this blog, right? In case you need moral support.

http://yoisthisracist.com/ (http://yoisthisracist.com/)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on August 28, 2012, 07:57:36 pm
OK, who posted the Rad Chilies question, yo?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 28, 2012, 09:18:09 pm
"Yo, if you consider seeing a racist 8 year-old’s “tits” to be some kind of pleasant memory, you need to drive yourself to jail right now."

That made me chuckle.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 31, 2012, 02:54:50 am
lots of break-ins in my neighborhood recently. The email list is blowing up with people talking about suspicious behavior they have witnessed. But also: people talking about how they left their car unlocked and had things stolen out of it. SERIOUSLY!?

If having valuable documents stolen out of your unlocked car makes you feel so unsafe that you want to leave the neighborhood, maybe you need to just keep driving until you are 100 miles from the nearest person. Even in my parents' fancy country club neighborhood I would not leave valuables sitting in plain view in my car, much less unlocked.

It would not be productive to respond to this chain of thought.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on August 31, 2012, 04:46:59 am
it would be fun and non-productive to reply with this image:

(http://memedepot.com/uploads/0/328_batman_dickbutt.jpg) (http://memedepot.com/uploads/0/328_batman_dickbutt.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on August 31, 2012, 05:08:37 am
I leave valuables in an unlocked car all the time. I also do not lock the doors of my house when I leave. I am not really afraid of being robbed. (Although I probably should be). But I would not be surprised if somebody opened my front door and decided to walk out with some of my stuff. I wouldn't even be that pissed off. I would be like, "Oh, damn. Well, my bad."

In my previous 'hood, where we *did* lock our doors and keep our cars locked, we had our windows smashed and radios stolen multiple times. It cost much more to repair the broken windows than to replace the stereos (especially since one time they caught the guy and we got our radio back). I figure, theft is preferable to property damage, and if somebody wants to steal stuff that bad, they're gonna find a way.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 31, 2012, 06:10:51 am
yeah, that is what is weird. getting emails like "I left my passport and wallet sitting on my dashboard and someone opened my unlocked car door and took it." What??
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 22, 2012, 07:25:26 pm
(http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/298322_10151095048262762_780007640_n.jpg)

My comment: "Do I need to explain how this poster completely misunderstands the original message?"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 23, 2012, 02:19:29 am
I am allowed to hate both, right?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 23, 2012, 04:44:44 am
I am allowed to hate both, right?

Well sure, I suppose, but I don't know why you would hate the original. It seems to me like a good message to tell the nation at that time; hey, the shit's about to hit the fan, but we need you to not panic and we need you to keep working.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on September 27, 2012, 02:19:06 pm
"Keep Calm and Carry On" always makes me think of "Close your eyes and think of England."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 27, 2012, 05:13:58 pm
sorry, forgot about this. Paul, I guess what I mean is: I would not hate that saying/image if the people wearing it on their t-shirts were currently living through WWII air raids.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 27, 2012, 06:27:03 pm
I know a woman who lived through the London Blitz. I should ask her (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/441520533/lightbox/) what she thinks about the slogan.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 28, 2012, 02:52:54 am
Oh man, some kids are wearing stupid ass like keep calm and chive on shirts here now.  I think I have also seen keep calm and trill on or something like that.  I hate those shirts.  I was alright with the keep calm and carry on until I saw it on a poster at target, then I was out.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on September 28, 2012, 09:01:13 pm
ain't skitch great. too bad your white-on-black text over that white-on-black drawing is practically illegible. next time flip the font&shadow colors, or try a bright primary or secondary color with no shadow
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 29, 2012, 12:26:16 am
I think I would take 4 years of this easy-ass job over high school any day of the week. But not for pile-of-book reasons. Although, you know, not having homework is great too.

So I guess: tell that kid if they drop out they won't ever have a cool job like mine.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 29, 2012, 05:37:21 am
Today the roommate I don't get along with went on a long thing trying to explain to me that darker ##### are always more formal, so darker jeans will always be in style because they are more formal. The more I said "I don't care, I just like dark blue jeans" the more he tried to explain his weird theory.

This is the same guy who got mad at me for not owning a suit.

(he thinks he dresses really well. He doesn't.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 24, 2012, 07:27:43 am
"that really nice gay couple asked where you were yesterday"
"who?"
"that really flamboyantly gay couple, those two guys? They come in every day at 6 in workout clothes?"
"They're a gay couple?"

I can't figure out why he thinks they are a gay couple.

The same guys recently asked why I moved to STL. I said, to go to WashU. They frowned and said, "you are underemployed." Not very flamboyant at all.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on October 25, 2012, 08:30:04 pm
No, Mom, no. I do not think that it's "sleazy tactics" to have voter registration drives, even if the Democrats running them do target "young kids, students, and poor people." I do not think that helping people without transportation find a way to get to their polling places on election day constitutes "cheating." Everybody has as much right to vote as you do, a right which you did not even exercise in the last election in spite of the fact that you're a retired grandmother with literally nothing more important to do during the 12 hours the polls are open.

Now please, please stop asking me why I don't like talking politics with you.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 26, 2012, 05:59:07 am
This woman on my neighborhood mailing list is demanding that there be a "democratic vote" about whether to make a nextdoor (https://nextdoor.com/) page. There already is one, that hundreds of people use, but she is attached to having an email mailing list and thinks it is going to be replaced by the website.

Quote
If every so often someone suggests that the group change their method and unilaterally implements a change and people wander gradually to a site without a group decision about which or what to do via a plebesite--there will be periodic duplification, redundancy and disorganization.  In this neighborhood decisions have generally been made at SNIA meetings.  Face to face.  With deliberation and a democratic decision making process.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on October 26, 2012, 02:55:03 pm
This woman on my neighborhood mailing list is demanding that there be a "democratic vote" about whether to make a nextdoor (https://nextdoor.com/) page. There already is one, that hundreds of people use, but she is attached to having an email mailing list and thinks it is going to be replaced by the website.


Do you live in this neighborhood? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKIWjnEPNY)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 26, 2012, 03:00:59 pm
Do you live in this neighborhood? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKIWjnEPNY)

When I was served the I came to America to escape socialism ad I was expecting something very different from that video.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 30, 2012, 07:17:09 pm
I think I am issuing a personal moratorium on the word "offensive." You're offended? Cool. Please specify. Is the thing you dislike racist, sexist, misogynist, classist? Ablist, ageist? Or does it just bother you, and you think that your feelings are really important?

Complaining roommate announced to the room (for the 100th time) that St Louis usage of the word "Hoosier" to denote "redneck" offends him, as a person from Indiana. Finally, someone laughed in his face about this. "Dude, you must really like getting offended."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Ben-San on October 30, 2012, 07:25:47 pm
I think I am issuing a personal moratorium on the word "offensive." You're offended? Cool. Please specify. Is the thing you dislike racist, sexist, misogynist, classist? Ablist, ageist? Or does it just bother you, and you think that your feelings are really important?

Complaining roommate announced to the room (for the 100th time) that St Louis usage of the word "Hoosier" to denote "redneck" offends him, as a person from Indiana. Finally, someone laughed in his face about this. "Dude, you must really like getting offended."

It kind of depends on the audience, though. I mean, you'll get dudes who will get shirty about the word "cissexist" because it sounds pretentious to them but respond okay to "isn't that kind of offensive to trans people?" You also get people who will decide that using the word "racist" means you're accusing them of being literal Nazis but will tone shit down if you tell them what they're saying is offensive.

Of course in the other direction sometimes you just need to tell someone to quit being such a shitlord, so it goes all kinds of ways. It's all about the right word for the job.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on October 30, 2012, 07:46:13 pm
St Louis usage of the word "Hoosier" to denote "redneck" offends him, as a person from Indiana.

Ha!  Definitely a St Louis thing.  First time the Mrs. called somebody a "hoosier" I was like, "But, what's so bad about being from Indiana?"

Don't even get me started about having to tell a joke when you trick or treat.  Crazy-assed St. Louis natives.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 30, 2012, 08:07:35 pm
Quote
"isn't that kind of offensive to trans people?"
OK, I guess what I meant is, I do not like when people use "offensive" without further explanation.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Ben-San on October 30, 2012, 09:39:18 pm
OK, I guess what I meant is, I do not like when people use "offensive" without further explanation.

Yeah, it's definitely a thing of "the right word for the job". It's also a word that's really easy for people to co-opt because you can use it to mean "the thing you are saying is hurtful to or trades on premises that are hurtful to a non-privileged population" or you can use it to mean "the thing you are saying annoys me" and assholes in particular will sort of figure them to be interchangeable. Kind of like the difference between using "depressed" to mean "has brain problems" and "not in a great mood". Demanding clarification is indeed a pretty good start on sorting out which meaning the person is actually using.

Sorry if I came off a little short there or anything.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on October 30, 2012, 10:02:32 pm
Wait, people say "hoosier"? It's not just a plot-point in Cat's Cradle?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on October 30, 2012, 10:03:02 pm
Sorry if I came off a little short there or anything.
What, you been taking the new height-reduction therapy?
I find that offensive.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on October 31, 2012, 01:11:09 am
Wait, people say "hoosier"? It's not just a plot-point in Cat's Cradle?

People in St Louis use it to mean "low person".  People in Indiana and neighboring areas use it to mean "person from Indiana".   Since a big hunk of Southern Indiana is in the Louisville TV market, we've been hearing it a lot lately in political ads.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 31, 2012, 01:27:47 am
I thought it meant people who went to Indiana University or whatever.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on October 31, 2012, 02:47:20 am
Perhaps to a Missouran an Indianan is a low sort.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 31, 2012, 03:42:07 am
Quote
The term "hoosier" began to take on its negative connotation in St. Louis during the mid-1950s when the Chrysler Corporation built a large automobile assembly plant in the St. Louis suburb of Fenton and closed a plant it had been operating in Indiana. At the time, the city of Fenton was at the then-rural southwest rim of St. Louis county. During this time, many former employees of the closed Indiana plant moved to Fenton for employment; so many, in fact, that entire subdivisions of new homes sprang up south of the plant, near what was then US Route 66. It became something of a local joke to refer to the new arrivals from Indiana as "hoosiers", and before long, anyone from the rural edges of St. Louis County was considered such.

I do not know if I entirely consider it synonymous with "white trash" or "hick."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on October 31, 2012, 01:22:45 pm
I think I am issuing a personal moratorium on the word "offensive." You're offended? Cool. Please specify. Is the thing you dislike racist, sexist, misogynist, classist? Ablist, ageist? Or does it just bother you, and you think that your feelings are really important?

I wish more people took umbrage, because I would totally issue a personal moratorium on taking umbrage.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 01, 2012, 12:20:05 am
to a certain extent i try to not take anything personally.  even if its meant that way,
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 03, 2012, 07:31:08 pm
Today, a member of my immediate family said "black people are less intelligent than white people."

It took a few minutes of talking to get them to explain that they meant that because they often have fewer opportunities, black people often have less education and exposure to experiences which would provide practical knowledge.

Could not manage to explain to this family member why "black people are less intelligent than white people" is not an OK way to express that thought. I mean, unless you want people to think "oh god, my [family member] is a huge racist."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 08, 2012, 06:02:19 am
if babies werent so damn tasty...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 08, 2012, 04:56:56 pm
If olive oil is made from olives, what is baby oil made from? And how about Oriental flavor ramen noodles?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 13, 2012, 07:31:09 pm
This one was just too stupid to not pass along.

It was a picture of a cattle guard that a right wing group posted and one of my right wing friends shared. The description read as follows...

Quote
"... You will love this one, I haven't stop laughing yet.

For those of you who have never traveled to the west, or southwest,
cattle guards are horizontal steel rails placed at fence openings,
in dug-out places in the roads adjacent to highways (sometimes across highways), to prevent cattle from crossing over that area. For some reason the cattle will not step on the "guards," probably because the
y fear getting their feet caught between the rails.

A few months ago, President Obama received and was reading a report that there were over 100,000 cattle guards in Colorado . The Colorado ranchers had protested his proposed changes in grazing policies, so he ordered the Secretary of the Interior to fire half of the "cattle" guards immediately!
Before the Secretary of the Interior could respond and presumably try to straighten President Obama out on the matter, Vice-President Joe Biden, intervened with a request that...before any "cattle" guards were fired, they be given six months of retraining.

'Times are hard,' said Joe Biden, 'it's only fair to the cattle guards and their families be given six months of retraining! '

And these two guys are running our country,

Passed on to you without further comment...

I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING - - - -

OH LORD HELP US!!!!"

That's an obvious joke, right? Of course it is. It's funny at all either. The President and Vice President are dumb. Hilarious.

What is funny, or scary is the comments on the picture by people that think this is real.

My friend who posted this wrote "Sounds like something Obama would say." So he's at least hedging his bets. He's not saying he believes it, but still he thinks the President is this dumb.

Most of the comments on the photo point out that this is not true, but there are quite a few ding a lings who do.  I didn't read all 8000 comments only about 30 to gather these examples.

"He is such a dumbass between the Vp and the prez it's dumb and dumer."

"Lmao! And who knows how long they sat around debating on this! Haahaa! Dummies!"

"We're done! Stick a fork in us!!!!"

"Go forward? That's even funnier !!!! Forward off the fiscal cliff!!!"

etc, etc...

Here is my favorite comment though.

"The irony is that you had to explain what a cattle guard was in order to set up a joke about someone who doesn't know what a cattle guard is. Who's really the dumbass here?"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on December 13, 2012, 07:43:19 pm
That really is the perfect comment, Paul. Thanks for sharing this so we can all laugh at the stupidity of people who think our President is stupid.

(I mean, seriously. I do not have the greatest opinion of G.W.B. but I do not think it is possible for someone with a low I.Q. to be elected to our nation's highest office. There's a difference between being too stupid to understand things and too lazy to try.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 15, 2012, 06:12:08 pm
It's enough to make you throw up.
(http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/548676_3958244117497_1361510385_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on December 15, 2012, 06:25:08 pm
Quote from: My Idiot FB Friend
I'm sorry but I do not agree with it being a gun issue. It has to do with the simple fact that a mentally sick individual was living in society and killed these people. I also think that it is time to pull these people off the street and get them back into facilities away from society. Is this humane? I don't give a crap. How many people have died over the last few years by the hand of the mentally unstable? How is that humane? Get them the hell off the streets and away from our children, friends, family and the general population. And people have to stop whining and complaining and blaming others. They should get OFF their ever expanding asses and DO something. Change only happens when people make the change. Talk to your kids, spend actual time with them, if they are struggling, GET THEM HELP, whether it be with school or in life. STOP making it someone elses issue and deal with it. This is not just an USA thing, this is a Canadian thing too.

That's right, the solution is to lock up all mentally ill people.  Sigh.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 15, 2012, 07:31:29 pm
Neither
(http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/224902_402135596535344_47796444_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on December 15, 2012, 07:51:44 pm
People watch too many movies. They seem to think all you need to do is arm the good guys because in fiction the good guys are always better shots. In real life when both sides have guns there is no guarantee the good guys win.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: lprkn on December 16, 2012, 01:15:45 am
God, nothing like a horrible tragedy to really get the derp going on fb. Normal, good and compassionate friends of mine flipped the "reactionary asshole" switch.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 16, 2012, 01:52:23 am
It's enough to make you throw up.
(http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/548676_3958244117497_1361510385_n.jpg)
Ugh. Response: It was less about the absence of god and more about the presence of a fuck*ng psychopath with a gun.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 16, 2012, 02:14:16 am
Our loving creator says "they won't let kids pray to me in there, so I am totally going to let these kids die to prove a point."

I guess, actually, that that sounds like something OT god would do.

(nesting: I am making a post in Shit my _____ says that could itself be posted in the thread)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on December 16, 2012, 02:58:21 am
People are scared.  Fear is the mind destroyer. It makes you think, say and do stupid things.  They want assurance and easy solutions and as always there are plenty of ignorant and/or unethical people around to offer them.

It's sad.  Lots of people think the universe works in an unnecessarily cruel way.  I don't understand it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on December 16, 2012, 03:34:13 am
People are scared.  Fear is the mind destroyer. It makes you think, say and do stupid things.  They want assurance and easy solutions and as always there are plenty of ignorant and/or unethical people around to offer them.

It's sad.  Lots of people think the universe works in an unnecessarily cruel way.  I don't understand it.

You know, I really agree.  Linea posted this quote on her FB, which I'm posting here because it has been the only useful response I've seen about the whole thing:


“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.” - Mr. Rogers

 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 16, 2012, 04:08:11 am
Thank you August and Smells (and everyone else). I love it when I vent some stupid bullshit that I see on Facebook and you wonderful people find a way to bring me around to seeing a little humanity.

Also, hats off to Little Porkin' for the "get the derp going" description of things. That was pretty dead on.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 17, 2012, 05:35:47 pm
If that was an actual reporter and not a fake account, dick deserves better than being eaten by her.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 20, 2012, 07:41:18 am
(http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/380696_2088908624721_2117172424_n.jpg)

I responded to point out it should say "fewer people," not "less people." Does that make me the dick here? Probably.

Also, that does not sound like a smart girl, that sounds like a girl with anxiety issues.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on December 20, 2012, 07:47:25 am
also "that's the ones" equals grrr
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on December 20, 2012, 01:49:36 pm
smart girls are better writers and graphic designers than that
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on December 20, 2012, 02:29:11 pm
Also, that does not sound like a smart girl, that sounds like a girl with anxiety issues.

Good point. The implication that well-adjusted, confident girls who get 8 hours of sleep aren't smart is kind of offensive. You'd never hear something like that about smart boys.

smart girls are better writers and graphic designers than that

I laughed out loud.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on December 20, 2012, 02:43:53 pm
I can't decide if this was written by a girl trying to convince herself that she's smart, or by a guy who doesn't know what women are like.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on December 20, 2012, 02:50:06 pm
I kid you not, there are two ladies in my office right now, in their 50's talking about diabetes and their healthy diet plans while eating chocolate covered cookies and drinking pop.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on December 20, 2012, 03:02:25 pm
I always forget to post stuff I see on facebook to this thread, but today I ran across an oldie but a goodie:

Quote
I will say this about the Chik-fil-A issue. I do not support re-defining marriage. This is not because I harbor any hatred for anyone, but because I do not believe it is in the best interests of society. However, the next time the mayors of several prominent U.S. cities are overtly hostile to a business and to its owner's First Amendment rights because that owner openly supports gay marriage, I will be the first in line to patronize that business. Why? Because countless Americans have both lived and died protecting mine and other Americans' freedom to hold and express our respective personal opinions. To me, that freedom is more important than the actual substance of those opinions.

It has been my consistent experience that the loudest advocates of tolerance are often the least likely to exercise it. In my opinion, those who do not see the hypocrisy of those who, under the guise of tolerance, seek to quiet opposing view points are either ignorant or confused.

That the danger of this assault on personal liberty is not immediately apparent to all Americans is both troubling and disappointing.

Of all the dumb shit in the post my favorite is that he opens with "I will say this...". It's like he imagined his facebook friends staring at their monitors, waiting with bated breath for his pronouncement on this important issue. Also, he misspelled Chick-fil-A.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 25, 2012, 12:31:53 am
When you find something weird in a cabinet on christmas eve, don't loudly ask your family what it is. You will realize that one of your siblings wants to post you on this thread.

"HEY GUYS, COME DOWN HERE AND LOOK AT THIS-- WHY ARE THERE CUPCAKES IN THIS CABINET? WHAT ARE THESE DOING DOWN HERE, IN THIS CABINET WE NEVER USE?"

you asshole, inev.

(knowing my family, I assumed they were forgotten from some party or something.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 25, 2012, 02:20:38 am
Dang Inev, you ruined the surprise.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 25, 2012, 04:57:58 am
I said, "dad, you didn't see anything" and he seemed confused about what was happening. So maybe I didn't.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 25, 2012, 06:19:26 am
What were you doing snooping around the cabinet no ever uses?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 25, 2012, 07:31:06 am
What were you doing snooping around the cabinet no ever uses?

Good point.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 25, 2012, 12:52:12 pm
Looking for the remote for the old TV. So we could play xbox in the basement.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 28, 2012, 02:19:04 am
my grandparents got drunk and talked about how Pinochet is misunderstood, and had to do the things he did to fix Chile after Allende screwed it up. Yikes.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on December 28, 2012, 05:00:55 pm
The Russians longed for the days of Stalin, I hear.  Dictators are apparently best seen in the light of hindsight.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 28, 2012, 08:30:34 pm
Especially if, maybe, you are an intellectual from a rich family who wouldn't tend to sympathize with the little brown people Allende was trying to help.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on December 28, 2012, 11:52:29 pm
The Haves are rarely well disposed towards those that would make them Have less.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2013, 06:36:19 pm
Argument about cassette tapes split to here: http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,6389.0.html (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,6389.0.html)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 09, 2013, 10:28:00 pm
Science: A Bunch of Assholes Trying to Prove Shit.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=527342003953482&set=a.456449604376056.98921.367116489976035&type=1&ref=nf)

This gave me quite a giggle.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on January 10, 2013, 03:08:42 pm
I don't know how many of you follow me on Twitter, but a couple weeks back one of my coworkers got into an argument with 4 others if Kansas was a state. Seriously. He kept insisting it wasn't and not in an "it sucks so I'm pretending it doesn't exist" way. He kept insisting everybody else was wrong and they were thinking of Kansas City.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on January 10, 2013, 03:16:05 pm
How does an argument like that last more than ten seconds now that the internet exists?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on January 10, 2013, 03:29:21 pm
How does an argument like that last more than ten seconds now that the internet exists?

He was the one telling other people to look it up. Both sides were so adamant they refused to bother googling it. He finally conceded when even the woman who he considers to be the dumbest person in the room joined in opposing him.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on January 10, 2013, 04:02:36 pm
Both sides were so adamant they refused to bother googling it.

Quoted for amazing distillation of modern life, or something.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 10, 2013, 06:24:08 pm
How does an argument like that last more than ten seconds now that the internet exists?

That's not exactly something you can find on Snopes. I guess if you're that stupid Google is of no use.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on January 10, 2013, 06:45:45 pm
Surely one of those people could Google "Map of the United States" and point at it?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 10, 2013, 07:36:32 pm
Surely one of those people could Google "Map of the United States" and point at it?

I wouldn't bother. If they're that stupid why waste any time on it?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 13, 2013, 08:03:44 am
I think I wish Django Unchained had not been made just so my friends would not be discussing the n-word and saying it a ton in my kitchen when I am trying to sleep. Come on guys.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on January 13, 2013, 07:45:15 pm
That's not exactly something you can find on Snopes. I guess if you're that stupid Google is of no use.

Not until an email chain gets going.

He kept insisting it wasn't and not in an "it sucks so I'm pretending it doesn't exist" way.

-- There are only 49 stars on that flag.
-- I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Kansas.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: nephilim8 on January 14, 2013, 09:11:47 pm
"My OLD MAN is from Kansas, you son of a bitch!"

But, to be fair, so am I.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 14, 2013, 09:54:37 pm
There's some cool shit in Kansas. It's not all corn fields and crazy Christians. Although, to be fair, it's mostly that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 20, 2013, 02:24:03 am
A lady sent me a nasty message about how I'm just another man who "wants to date little girls."

The weird punchline is that where it asks what age range you are willing to date, I said I was willing to date women up 10 years older than me. Which would include this woman in the range. WTF.

If I am getting this many weird messages, I can't even imagine what girls get. Yikes.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2013, 06:34:11 am
There's a video going around Facebook of Third World people saying 1st world problems. Whoever created the video and all the people posting it seem oblivious to the fact that calling something a 1st world problem is self acknowledging that it's not a real problem.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on February 07, 2013, 01:47:21 pm
There's a video going around Facebook of Third World people saying 1st world problems. Whoever created the video and all the people posting it seem oblivious to the fact that calling something a 1st world problem is self acknowledging that it's not a real problem.

(https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAyCUfE9qZdhf0uyFDtv0zNgeO-VOT8J3DtbO_XEJYbVxQV1s4Xw)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 07, 2013, 02:17:54 pm
I saw an article somewhere that I loved by a third-world guy who basically said "calling things "first world problems" is an overly generous view of mankind... do you really think people in Nigeria don't get really mad when their cell phone runs out of batteries?"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 13, 2013, 08:37:11 pm
The number of my friends who complain about being "broke" but are adopting pets and going on vacations is too damn high.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 16, 2013, 11:56:46 pm
I'm looking at two stamps on my counter: one says liberty and one say freedom. Both are printed by our bankrupt postal service, which is the responsibility of a government that thinks drone warfarin against our own citizens and drone and electronic surveillance are justifiable. I laugh. Hilter used similar propaganda.

    5 people like this.

Let me be the first to congratulate my friend on 10.0 mental gymnastics floor routine.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 21, 2013, 05:32:49 am
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600130_10151333062664385_679083374_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on February 21, 2013, 06:26:37 am
Groovy
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 22, 2013, 12:56:29 am
I just don't know where to begin.

(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/251683_535150469841101_586806986_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 24, 2013, 09:12:09 am
Today I was talking about the phrase "the ____ you love to hate" and my mixed feelings about it. I definitely went on and on, and eventually my roommate said "so basically... it's the expression you love to hate?"

Well played.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 08, 2013, 02:52:44 pm
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/529744_10200755978802213_1026805998_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 08, 2013, 04:38:50 pm
Wait, what?

Is this left over from the Bush administration? Because I don't think I have heard anyone say that unemployment is under 10% since at least 2002.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on March 08, 2013, 05:08:57 pm
NYT news alert this morning said 7.7% "lowest in four years"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 09, 2013, 11:47:05 pm
Oh brother...
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/297321_580362848649765_549543216_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 11, 2013, 01:52:01 pm
The only discrepancy I know of with the "official" unemployment stat is that it doesn't count people who've given up on looking for work. Not sure what that would make the number.

I saw one the other day that basically said "We didn't have income taxes before 1913 and everything was fine." I don't even know where to BEGIN with that one.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 12, 2013, 03:05:54 pm
I told my father that I can't refinance my FHA loan because the mortgage insurance rates went up. He basically said the government should stop meddling with FHA loans. I'm not sure that those letters mean what he thinks they mean.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 12, 2013, 03:52:38 pm
"Keep your government hands off my Medicare!" Apparently heard more than once at Tea Party rallies.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 12, 2013, 08:28:52 pm
"When will I be moving back to the checking (IE, cashier) department? Probably when I die and go to hell."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 13, 2013, 01:41:19 am
I can't handle knowing a person who posted on the wall of the festival we went to complaining that there weren't enough "babes, queers, or brown people" in the bands that played.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 13, 2013, 02:16:53 am
You mean the bands in nashville were heavy on straight white dudes? What is this country coming to.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 13, 2013, 02:22:55 am
What is funniest to me is the implicit assumption that, like, people of color and gays and women would somehow benefit by being encouraged to play a fun little indie rock festival. The black community would be better off if there were more kids wearing plaid shirts and doing Gram Parsons imitations.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 14, 2013, 06:46:41 pm
Open ketchup, not in the fridge?  Unheard of around these parts, but then, we go through maybe half a bottle a year unless I use it as a sauce base. 

Also note, its classier Heinz brother is turning away from the camera in shame.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 14, 2013, 07:56:34 pm
Katsoup is fine at room temperature unless, as sMells stated, you don't use much of it. In a couple of years Smells, you'll be using a lot more catsup. For some reason kids just love the stuff. They even put it on hot dogs. (I'm kidding, I'm kidding, please don't start that debate again).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 15, 2013, 04:52:02 am
I love me some cat soup, but if you have it too often the neighbors will notice.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 15, 2013, 06:42:15 pm
All my soup is cat soup. Having three cats means all my food has a light sprinking of cat in it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 15, 2013, 07:11:08 pm
One of my favourite podcasters  (http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/editorial-staff/mark-a-crislip-md-assistant-editor/)frequently states that "the world is covered in a fine layer of poo.  This is why I only eat deep fried food".
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 16, 2013, 12:11:13 am
[19 YO KID] "Write a letter to Netflix and rip them for more show selections."

[ME] "When I grew up I had a choice of 9 broadcast stations. THAT'S ALL FOLKS."

FOGEY FTW

9?  You were lucky.  We had 4.  Then 5.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 16, 2013, 01:03:07 am
When I was in elementary school, we had 3 - and one of those was in black&white.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 16, 2013, 01:05:32 am
Man I am in my mid 20s and I grew up with 7?  8?

I am damn happy about that and still only have 7 or 8.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on March 16, 2013, 02:16:32 am
I swear if was one of you guys on here that first posted this but my memory is for crap right now. Anyway, remember how warm and nostalgic you get for the old school simplicity of Commodore 64 and wish you still had easy access to some of the games? That's how your kids will feel about the iPhone you hand them when they get bored at a party. They'll reminisce about their favorite apps.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 16, 2013, 02:53:12 am
When I was a kid we had 3 stations, by the time I graduated from high school we were up to 6.  When I was little all of the stations went off the air at night. Some of them still did at the time I graduated.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 16, 2013, 04:08:01 pm
Remember, I was in the SoCal basin and so had the advantage of location. I mean c'mon, I got to watch the Three Stooges on Gene Autry's TV station.

Gene Autry spent the night in my Grandparent's house in Greenville, Kentucky.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 16, 2013, 04:13:03 pm
Man I am in my mid 20s and I grew up with 7?  8?

I am damn happy about that and still only have 7 or 8.
Same age, but I can't remember a time without cable. My earliest memory of television is watching the disney channel every morning before pre-school.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 16, 2013, 04:33:01 pm
9?  You were lucky.  We had 4.  Then 5.

I'm about the same age as Ash and AW, I think, but we must have been really early adopters of cable. If you didn't have it, you got one station halfway decently, and one or two others poorly. Whenever I was at my high school girlfriend's house, we ALWAYS watched NBC because that was the only station she got.
But at our house, we originally had 12 channels (2 through 13), though a lot of them were kinda duplicates--I think there were three NBC affiliates, two ABC, two or three CBS. Then in roughly 7th grade, we got a little box that allowed you to select more channels--we got ESPN, TBS, CNN, and USA. Then a year or two later, they added MTV (it was channel 19, I remember it well) and man that was HUGE.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on March 16, 2013, 08:49:54 pm
We've had cable as long as I can remember. I recall checking out MTV a couple times for Monty Python but once they stopped showing that I never turned it on again.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 16, 2013, 10:16:36 pm
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/580535_503290096394928_584161308_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 16, 2013, 11:54:16 pm
Who then, in the creator's mind, is the real president?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 17, 2013, 03:20:59 am
My wife's grandfather was Frank James.  Actually, he was Clyde Ellis, but saying he was Frank James got him more drinks at bars.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 17, 2013, 05:07:43 am
Who then, in the creator's mind, is the real president?

I'm guessing they are saying he's illegitimate because he was born in Kenya or whatever. So the real president would be, Oh I don't know, John McCain I guess?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 17, 2013, 05:27:24 am
I'm guessing they are saying he's illegitimate because he was born in Kenya or whatever. So the real president would be, Oh I don't know, John McCain I guess?

Sarah Palin, because, duh.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 17, 2013, 07:50:55 am
Be gentle like a lion.
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/485902_10200321478911052_42536351_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 17, 2013, 09:30:46 am
Wait.  What?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on March 17, 2013, 02:35:58 pm
I know what they mean but I always read that sort of thing as 'The fact that life shits on me is somehow proof I'm a good person.'
That said, I like it when Steve Martin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa4YFNbPje8) says it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 17, 2013, 02:40:39 pm
Wait.  What?

It's supposed to recall Aslan, the lion stand-in for Jesus in the Chronicles of Narnia.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 17, 2013, 03:48:22 pm
I got that.  But "the weak are cruel" is a pretty insane sentiment. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 17, 2013, 03:51:05 pm
Of course the weak can be as cruel as anyone else, it's only the weak are cruel that is insane.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on March 17, 2013, 04:21:37 pm
If you play the chorus of this song by White Lion backwards (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHZ79InLGRY) you get that quote.

I think all it's saying is that cruelty is an expression of weakness, no? I don't know if it's true but it's not exactly insane.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 17, 2013, 10:21:48 pm
I think all it's saying is that cruelty is an expression of weakness, no? I don't know if it's true but it's not exactly insane.

I think the whole thing is insane and feeble minded as well.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on March 18, 2013, 01:55:40 pm
I think the whole thing is insane and feeble minded as well.

How cruel of you, Paul. How cruel.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on March 18, 2013, 02:34:10 pm
Facebook conversation, girl I've known for years who has spent most of that time bitching about every boyfriend she ever had and everything else in her life too. Clearly I need to learn a thing or two about life.

Quote
Her: hey hey stranger

Me: Hey

Her: so... ummmm... I'm going to blargh... casue I need to blargh...

Me: Ok?

Her: [Boyfriend] and I broke up yesterday... He has been following me around the house, not saying anything and just moping
i asked what he wanted of me to make this work
he didnt say anything
finally i cracked, and said he either needed to fight for me, or walk away cause I can't handle the nothingness
he walked away and went to bed

Me: Well
That's sort of an answer.
What brought this all on?

Her: it's been horrid for ages
but that just really fuck*ng hurt... i just thought after 4 years maybe there would be something worth trying to hold on to... maybe he cared a little bit more than that...

Me: I mean
yeah
you're right
but equally if it really has been that bad, why perpetuate a toxic situation?

Her:dw
love isn't that black and white
and to think it is is naive
anywho, i'll see you round or something
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 18, 2013, 04:23:38 pm
That chick is a nightmare, but clearly you don't know what love is about. :P
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on March 18, 2013, 04:34:45 pm
I am known for being a soul-less automaton. If only some semi-functional, emotionally unstable manic pixie dream girl would come into my life and teach me how to love again.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 18, 2013, 04:47:51 pm
I am known for being a soul-less automaton. If only some semi-functional, emotionally unstable manic pixie dream girl would come into my life and teach me how to love again.

*sigh*
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on March 18, 2013, 05:00:08 pm
I always felt Orlando Bloom's character in Elizabethtown was more compelling before he met Kirsten Dunst. Soulless automatons are way underrated.

Edit: My opinion has been validated by Ash. What more need be said?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 18, 2013, 05:29:55 pm
It's supposed to recall Aslan, the lion stand-in for Jesus in the Chronicles of Narnia.

I've been reading this with the youngest daughter, after having read it with the oldest a couple years ago. And it bears repeating: If Jesus occasionally took the physical form of a great talking lion and helped smite my enemies, then of COURSE I'd be a Christian.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 18, 2013, 05:33:24 pm
I really dislike those books. He raised metaphor to a level nobody needed. He would have done better writing a book in semaphore.



Or writing about pinafores. Something.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 18, 2013, 08:31:16 pm
They have some great moments, but yeah, in parts his metaphors are not at all subtle. The last book, in particular, I think kind of sucks. He also has major issues with gender roles. And Aslan is far too often arbitrary and capricious, and overfond of "testing" people.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 18, 2013, 09:10:43 pm
Doesn't that happen a ton in the Bible, too?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 19, 2013, 01:44:30 am
I always felt Orlando Bloom's character in Elizabethtown was more compelling before he met Kirsten Dunst. Soulless automatons are way underrated.

 

Fascinating Fact:  I lived in that Elizabethtown for two years!  It's an actual place.

Also, let's not get over-emotional about this stolidity thing, fellas.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on March 19, 2013, 02:35:49 am
Daughter! Emotions. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 22, 2013, 10:22:27 pm
Yesterday at lunch I found myself trying to explain to two of my roommates that yes, the civil war was "about" slavery.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 23, 2013, 01:48:49 am
Yesterday at lunch I found myself trying to explain to two of my roommates that yes, the civil war was "about" slavery.

Emphasis on 'trying' because I'm sure you didn't convince them.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 23, 2013, 01:53:24 am
I followed up with one of them today and he agreed. So that is good.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2013, 05:45:30 pm
I had to share this one because it gave me a chuckle.

A friend shared this picture with accompanying text.

(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/581342_458344854235238_1950859426_n.jpg)

Quote
NOTICE TO ALL GUN OWNERS!!!!
----------------------------
Tagging a Gun Owner's Vehicle

If you own a gun and therefore go to gun ranges or gun shops, you might want to read the attached and keep this in mind…..and share the word with your friends/family.

TAGGING GUN OWNERS VEHICLES PSA WARNING
Gun lovers public service announcement: While I was in a Texas gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location that’s less well guarded or under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for a National shoot this summer, the Sheriff of Bexar County came out to brief the 400 partici##### of our competition. Too bad three teams had already been victimized the first day. This is the first I’ve heard of this in Texas.

Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list. Daily check your car, truck or motor home for unusual painted dots, marks, check marks or other strange looking symbols that are not
normal to your type vehicle. It could prevent you from being a victim of robbery, or even save your life if you catch the thief in the act.

This next comment from a Gun Site instructor:

I don’t know how widespread this is becoming, but the info regarding the NSCA Nationals in San Antonio is correct, as all of us who compete in sporting clays know. Competitors there were
having their vehicles marked with a small adhesive dot on the rear license plate or rear bumper, then followed for miles and having their vehicles quickly and efficiently broken in to when parked for lunch etc.

Some crews were working the parking lot at the Nationals itself. 27 high end shotguns were taken there recently. They know when 1400 shooters with high $$ competition guns are in town.

BTW I shot with a young man who was trying out a new gun at the Nationals. He and his father lost all their guns and equipment while making a quick stop for lunch at a BBQ place in Corpus
Christi the month before.

It's bad enough the gub'ment is trying to take away our guns, but now there are gangs taking them away as well. Wait a minute, I thought having a shitload of guns was supposed to protect you from these kinds of shenanigans. Oh the irony!

I'm not going to even try to Snopes this because it's so obviously false.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 24, 2013, 07:17:00 pm
I don't know what the intended message is there, but I do know Obama is behind this somehow. Alex Jones has already revealed the Obama administration's mailbox marking plan. The color of the stickers the federal government mail man uses on your box is a sign to the DHS/FEMA of who is marked to be a prison planet guard and who is to become a prison planet prisoner.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 25, 2013, 05:10:00 pm
The color of the stickers the federal government mail man uses on your box is a sign to the DHS/FEMA of who is marked to be a prison planet guard and who is to become a prison planet prisoner.

How will the mark the planet?

OHMYGOSHJUPITER!!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 27, 2013, 11:55:51 pm
Oh no, it's a war on Easter now.
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/156449_10200627305070211_269279612_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 28, 2013, 12:13:02 am
If there is a war on Easter I am very confused about what that picture has to do with it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 28, 2013, 12:26:16 am
Oh Paul, your social circle is so Texas.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 28, 2013, 12:27:28 am
Well, every story has a beginning and end, right? Α and Ω ?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 28, 2013, 04:14:57 am
Oh Paul, your social circle is so Texas.

I suppose it would. That was posted by a cousin. She was raised in Houston, but now lives in Tennessee.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 29, 2013, 04:20:46 am
Welp, I guess this pretty much sums Facebook up nicely.
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/163508_195325157258300_813444819_n.png)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 30, 2013, 03:11:36 am
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/579815_463785607024065_1054359597_n.jpg)

Quote
Gender of Bell Peppers !!
*******************
Did you know you can check the gender of bell peppers? Turn them over...the ones with four bumps are female and those with three bumps are male.

The female peppers are full of seeds, but sweeter and better for eating raw and the males are better for cooking.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 30, 2013, 03:19:40 am
Two of my friends posted the bell pepper thing.

In both cases I commented "There must be a whole bunch of folks who sit around thinking up this bullshit just to see how many people they can fool."

One of them just returned the comment with "well there are male and female trees"

How can I respond to this? Any help?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on March 30, 2013, 07:46:40 am
quote them this from here (http://www.helium.com/items/1996863-the-difference-between-three-bottomed-bell-peppers-and-four-bottomed-bell-peppers)?

Quote
If there is any such thing as male and female bell peppers, the designation is culinary, not biological, and if it is a culinary designation, it does not appear to be a widespread one. Fruits (bell peppers are biologically fruits, being the seed bearing part of the plant) have no gender. They are not the plant’s sexual parts, but the vehicles for its offspring, formed only after the plant has been pollinated and fertilized. On most flowering plants, including bell peppers, the flowers that become the fruit have both male and female parts, making them androgynous. All bell peppers, then, are hermaphrodites.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on March 30, 2013, 09:14:54 am
Hott
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 31, 2013, 04:48:25 am
caliente!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on March 31, 2013, 06:54:17 am
Quote
Gender of Bell Peppers !!
*******************
Did you know you can check the gender of bell peppers? Turn them over...the ones with four bumps are female and those with three bumps are male.

The female peppers are full of seeds, but sweeter and better for eating raw and the males are better for cooking.

I do believe that "bump" is the technical term. I therefore find this post entirely plausible.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 31, 2013, 01:18:55 pm
When buying groceries, I looked at the bottom of my pepper before buying it, so thanks for that I guess.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 31, 2013, 02:53:28 pm
Ugh. Does a pepper have a girl's or boy's ass? BOO TO THAT WHY FIND OUT
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on March 31, 2013, 05:27:24 pm
I swear Alton did a bit about eggplants being male or female based on the shape of the dot on the bottom
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 31, 2013, 07:05:32 pm
She must really suck at art.
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/150131_505112552889124_434727604_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 31, 2013, 10:09:09 pm
Also, all the colours in the image are inside the lines, so what does that tell you about the aesthetics of the poster?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 01, 2013, 02:01:19 am
Also, all the colours in the image are inside the lines, so what does that tell you about the aesthetics of the poster?

Darn intellectually dishonest poster.  Gosh!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 01, 2013, 04:16:18 am
Oh my God, it's as if Rome were an exact mirror image of someone's perception of today's America.
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/734433_353863521387104_704888219_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 01, 2013, 03:02:46 pm
Oh my God, it's as if Rome were an exact mirror image of someone's perception of today's America.
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/734433_353863521387104_704888219_n.jpg)

ROME FELL!

Yeah, Rome Fell.  500 years after Cicero made this speech.  And the eastern half of the empire lasted another thousand years.  And the cultural paradigm created by the Roman Empire persists, to a remarkable degree, to this day.  What's your point?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on April 01, 2013, 03:07:54 pm
Oh my God, it's as if Rome were an exact mirror image of someone's perception of today's America.
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/734433_353863521387104_704888219_n.jpg)

I thought it was the gays that did Rome in.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 01, 2013, 04:06:36 pm
Posted along with a picture of a US$2 bill...

Quote
THE $2.00 BILL I TRIED TO SPEND:

IF YOU'RE AS OLD AS I AM, THIS IS A RIOT!

Everyone should start carrying $2 bills! I'm STILL laughing!!

I think we need to quit saving our $2 bills and bring them out in public. The younger generation doesn't even know they exist!

STORY: On my way home from work, I stopped at Taco Bell for a quick bite to eat. I have a $50 bill and a $2 bill. I figure with the $2 bill, I can get something to eat and not have to worry about irritating anyone for trying to break a $50 bill.

Me: 'Hi, I'd like one seven-layer burrito please, to go.'


Server: 'That'll be $1.04. Eat in?'

Me: 'No, it's to go.' At this point, I open my billfold and hand him the $2 bill. He looks at it kind of funny.

Server: 'Uh, hang on a sec, I'll be right back.'


He goes to talk to his manager, who is still within my earshot. The following conversation occurs between the two of them:

Server: 'Hey, you ever see a $2 bill?'
Manager: 'No. A what?'
Server: 'A $2 bill. This guy just gave it to me...'
Manager: 'Ask for something else. There's no such thing as a $2 bill.'
Server: 'Yeah, thought so.'

He comes back to me and says, 'We don't take these. Do you have anything else?'

Me: 'Just this fifty. You don't take $2 bills? Why?
Server: 'I don't know.'
Me: 'See here where it says legal tender?'
Server: 'Yeah.'
Me: 'So, why won't you take it?'
Server: 'Well, hang on a sec.'

He goes back to his manager, who has been watching me like I'm a shoplifter, and says to him, 'He says I have to take it.'

Manager: 'Doesn't he have anything else?'
Server: 'Yeah, a fifty. I'll get it and you can open the safe and get change.
Manager: 'I'm not opening the safe with him in here.'
Server: 'What should I do?'
Manager: 'Tell him to come back later when he has real money.'
Server: 'I can't tell him that! You tell him.'
Manager: 'Just tell him.'
Server: 'No way! This is weird. I'm going in back.

The manager approaches me and says,
'I'm sorry, but we don't take big bills this time of night.'

Me: 'It's only seven o'clock! Well then, here's a two dollar bill.'
Manager: 'We don't take those, either.'
Me: 'Why not?'
Manager: 'I think you know why.'
Me: 'No really, tell me why.'

Manager: 'Please leave before I call mall security.'
Me: 'Excuse me?'
Manager: 'Please leave before I call mall security.'
Me: 'What on earth for?'
Manager: 'Please, sir..'

Me: 'Uh, go ahead, call them.'
Manager: 'Would you please just leave?'
Me: 'No.'
Manager: 'Fine -- have it your way then.'
Me: 'Hey, that's Burger King, isn't it?'

At this point, he backs away from me and calls mall security on the phone around the corner. I have two people staring at me from the dining area and I begin laughing out loud, just for effect.

A few minutes later this 45-year-oldish guy comes in.

Guard: 'Yeah, Mike, what's up?'
Manager (whispering): 'This guy is trying to give me some (pause) funny money.'
Guard: 'No kidding! What?'
Manager: 'Get this. A two dollar bill.'
Guard (incredulous): 'Why would a guy fake a two dollar bill?'
Manager: 'I don't know. He's kinda weird. He says the only other thing he has is a fifty.'
Guard: 'Oh, so the fifty's fake!'
Manager: 'No, the two dollar bill is.'
Guard: 'Why would he fake a two dollar bill?'
Manager : 'I don't know! Can you talk to him, and get him out of here?'
Guard: 'Yeah.'

Security Guard walks over to me and......
Guard: 'Mike here tells me you have some fake bills you're trying to use.'
Me: 'Uh, no.'
Guard: 'Lemme see 'em.'
Me: 'Why?'
Guard: 'Do you want me to get the cops in here?'

At this point I'm ready to say, 'Sure, please!' but I want to eat, so I say, 'I'm just trying to buy a burrito and pay for it with this two dollar bill.

I put the bill up near his face, and he flinches like I'm taking a swing at him. He takes the bill, turns it over a few times in his hands, and he says, 'Hey, Mike, what's wrong with this bill?'
Manager: 'It's fake.'
Guard: 'It doesn't look fake to me.'
Manager: 'But it's a two dollar bill.'
Guard: 'Yeah? '
Manager: 'Well, there's no such thing, is there?'

The security guard and I both look at him like he's an idiot and it dawns on the guy that he has no clue and is an idiot.

So, it turns out that my burrito was free, and he threw in a small drink and some of those cinnamon thingies, too.

Made me want to get a whole stack of two dollar bills just to see what happens when I try to buy stuff.

Just think... those two are of the age to be voting!!!

NOW do you understand why and how Obama got a 2nd term?

It's a reasonably funny story, I guess, but can somebody tell me what a couple of young kids not recognizing a bill that comprises less than 1% of the bills in circulation has to do with the recent election?

Side note: the artwork on the back side of the Deuce is a reproduction of a painting by a direct ancestor of mine. The original is in the rotunda of the national archives, I go see it whenever I'm in D.C.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 01, 2013, 05:18:15 pm
Also $2 bills are dope and everyone knows what they are.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 01, 2013, 06:31:45 pm
It's a reasonably funny story, I guess, but can somebody tell me what a couple of young kids not recognizing a bill that comprises less than 1% of the bills in circulation has to do with the recent election?

Well obviously Obama got elected because the kids of today are skeptical of anything they are unfamiliar with. That's why the don't trust that Obama is actually an American or a Christian. No wait, that's old guy's with the $2 bills and a "these kids these days" attitude that are like that.

Uh... I don't know.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 01, 2013, 06:36:47 pm
Also, I think that story was about the 4th thing to get posted to the internet in 1992, so...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 01, 2013, 07:15:03 pm
Oh my God, it's as if someone's false perception of Roman history were an exact mirror image of someone's false perception of today's America.
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/734433_353863521387104_704888219_n.jpg)

Fixed that for myself.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on April 01, 2013, 10:07:24 pm
Also, since when is a breaking a fifty ever an issue?  What register of a major franchise doesn't have two 20's and a handful of smaller bills on hand?

Fun side note, as a teen a friend of mine had an uncle give her a $100 and tell her:  If you go get me milk at the corner store and they take this $100, the change is yours.  She did and he was shocked.  He'd been trying to spend that counterfeit $100 for weeks and no one would take it!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 02, 2013, 02:06:05 am
Also, since when is a breaking a fifty ever an issue?

You don't see it as much anymore, but it used to be a thing, especially in high crime areas, that stores would not take a bill larger than a $20.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on April 02, 2013, 02:19:12 am
Most fast-food places have signs posted that they won't take anything higher than a $20
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on April 02, 2013, 02:22:19 am
That story reminds me of this: http://www.theonion.com/articles/william-safire-orders-two-whoppers-junior,3351/
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 02, 2013, 02:50:20 pm
Two of my friends posted the bell pepper thing.

I know for reals that zucchini flowers are either male or female. The female ones are the ones that actually grow the zukes. The male flowers are just for pollination. So if peppers and eggplant grow at all similarly, then the male/female vegetable thing is bullshit.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 02, 2013, 07:57:03 pm
That doesn't belong in this thread Ash because it's fuck*ng brilliant.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 02, 2013, 08:48:26 pm
Presented without comment.

(http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/107/gunsdontkill.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 02, 2013, 09:45:36 pm
What, do you open your gun case one morning and just find a litter of pistols?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 03, 2013, 01:00:14 am
Thanks Little League guys. I really needed that April Fool allegory you went for there.

Say...

I don't think they're really talking about kids baseball.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 03, 2013, 08:19:21 pm
Quote from: My Spouse

I don't think you're calculating your monthly cycles right. Instead of counting from the day you start bleeding, you should count from the day we start fighting.

Here's a man who will take his life in his hands for a good (or mediocre) joke. If y'all see me on America's Most Wanted, guys, you know why.

(I'm posting this in the public section so he has a chance to defend himself, if such a thing is possible.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on April 03, 2013, 09:31:14 pm
Shit the owner of the neighbourhood burger joint I frequented says (in the paper today):

Quote
George Ifantis, who runs George's Burgers & Subs in town, said he has nothing against the Pots N Hands owners, but understands that some customers might be uncomfortable with the men's sexuality.

"A lot of people don't like it," said Ifantis. "You don't know what they're doing in the kitchen."

He just lost a customer.  Not just because he is clearly an idiot, but more because if he thinks gay men have sex in their restaurant's kitchens, does that mean he and his wife are having hetero sex in their restaurant's kitchen?  Sorry, but I've now thought of your food coming in contact with jizz and pu$$y secretions.

For the record, the other restaurant he is referencing is one located in a small town, and the owners have decided to close the business due to all the slurs and threats they've been confronted with.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2013, 05:42:39 am
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/27130_454096211339417_1121944990_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on April 06, 2013, 10:51:47 am
Wait, so is he pissed off or pleased with Paul right now?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2013, 05:33:24 pm
Wait, so is he pissed off or pleased with Paul right now?

Ha ha... Hmm... good question.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on April 07, 2013, 04:28:59 am
Love the copyright.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 08, 2013, 03:31:15 am
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/488394_485411464842180_844292052_n.jpg)

I first heard about this a couple of months ago and it sounds like a totally gross thing to do. It also tingles my bullshit meter pretty strongly.

First question, is that a spoonful of plaque? Second, is this as fake as it appears to me?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on April 08, 2013, 03:44:30 am
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/488394_485411464842180_844292052_n.jpg)

I first heard about this a couple of months ago and it sounds like a totally gross thing to do. It also tingles my bullshit meter pretty strongly.

First question, is that a spoonful of plaque? Second, is this as fake as it appears to me?

If you can think of a better way to get more EFAs, I'd like to hear it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 08, 2013, 03:58:37 am
Not really sure what the spoon is supposed to be showing, but the practice looks like grade A hoss feathers.  Probably nothing wrong with it, although I'm sure there are some shysters out there hawking their double extracted certified aryuvedic yak oil for optimal results.  The hidden cost of stuff like this is the erosion of critical thinking in the public (there is a cause:effect problem here that I'm grappling with) - when someone tries it because it might work, and through chance, selection bias, and the quirks of human memory it seems to work - then they slip into the conspiracy theory fantasy that "alternative medicine" types are promoting.

Brushing ones teeth to improve dental hygiene works for a couple reasons.  Mechanical removal of plaque, the soap effect of some of the ingredients of tooth paste, removal of trace carbohydrates (sugars and starches) that oral bacteria can feed on, and strengthening of the connective tissue in the gums around your teeth (again, largely a mechanical effect).  Swishing oil in your mouth doesn't do any of those things.  There is a logical fallacy in the argument as well, a variation on the appeal to authority sometimes called the appeal to antiquity.  Just because something has been around a long time is not evidence of it working; it is evidence of pre-scientific magical thinking and a lack of immediate lethality.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 08, 2013, 06:57:57 pm
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/602103_4922607541846_1821792727_n.jpg)

Quote
WAL-MART VS. THE MORONS (NOT A JOKE)

I know lots of folks don't like Wal-Mart, but this is fascinating.

This is spot-on.

PLEASE, READ THIS TO THE END. IT IS VERY INTERESTING!!!

Wal-Mart vs. The Morons

1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart Every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March
17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target +Sears + Costco

K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people, is the world's largest private
employer, and most speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger and Safeway combined, and
keep in mind they did this in only fifteen years.

8. During this same period, 31 big supermarket chains sought
bankruptcy.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are
Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had five years ago.

11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur
at Wal-Mart stores. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within fifteen miles of a Wal-Mart.
You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground
work for suggesting that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart
to fix the economy.

This should be read and understood by all Americans… Democrats,
Republicans, EVERYONE!!

To President Obama and all 535 voting members of the Legislature,
it is now official that the majority of you are corrupt morons:

a. The U.S. Postal Service was established in 1775. You have had 234
years to get it right and it is broke.

b. Social Security was established in 1935. You have had 74 years to
get it right and it is broke.

c. Fannie Mae was established in 1938. You have had 71 years to get
it right and it is broke.

d. War on Poverty started in 1964. You have had 45 years to get it
right; $1 trillion of our money is confiscated each year and transferred to
"the poor" and they only want more.

e. Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965. You have had 44
years to get it right and they are broke.

f. Freddie Mac was established in 1970. You have had 39 years to get
it right and it is broke.

g. The Department of Energy was created in 1977 to lessen our
dependence on foreign oil. It has ballooned to 16,000 employees with a budget of
$24 billion a year and we import more oil than ever before. You had 32 years to get
it right and it is an abysmal failure.

You have FAILED in every "government service" you have shoved down our
throats while overspending our tax dollars.

AND YOU WANT AMERICANS TO BELIEVE YOU CAN BE TRUSTED
WITH A GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM??

Folks, keep this circulating. It is very well stated. Maybe it will end
up in the e-mails of some of our "duly elected' (they never read anything)
and their staff will clue them in on how Americans feel.

AND

I know what's wrong. We have lost our minds to "Political Correctness"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone please tell me what is wrong with all the people that
run this country!!!!!!

We're "broke" and can't help our own Seniors, Veterans, Orphans, Homeless
etc. and the last months we have provided aid to Haiti, Chile, and Turkey and now
Pakistan ( the previous home of bin Laden). literally, BILLIONS of DOLLARS!!!

Our retired seniors living on a 'fixed income' receive no aid nor do
they get any breaks.

AMERICA: a country where we have homeless without shelter, children
going to bed hungry, elderly going without needed medicines, and mentally ill
without treatment, etc.

Imagine if the GOVERNMENT gave U. S. the same support they give to
other countries. Sad isn't it?

*99% of the people receiving this message won't have the guts to forward this.

*I'm one of the 1% -- I Just Did
BEING UNITED SAVES AMERICA!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 08, 2013, 07:39:33 pm
Goddam those last two sentences are pretty enough to kiss on the mouth.

I'm spending way too much time inside my head these days.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 08, 2013, 08:48:37 pm
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/488394_485411464842180_844292052_n.jpg)

I first heard about this a couple of months ago and it sounds like a totally gross thing to do. It also tingles my bullshit meter pretty strongly.

First question, is that a spoonful of plaque? Second, is this as fake as it appears to me?

That is coconut oil, which is a solid at room temperature but melts at about 80F.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 08, 2013, 09:54:00 pm
If you can think of a better way to get more EFAs, I'd like to hear it.
Swishing it around in your mouth and spitting it out doesn't sound like a terribly effective way to get essential fatty acids.  Popping a giraffe oil cap (or, heaven forbid) eating giraffe would do it nicely.  Or maybe I'm missing a sarcastic tone from Victoria.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 08, 2013, 09:56:07 pm
Or maybe I'm missing a sarcastic tone from Victoria.

She was being totally sarcastic.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 08, 2013, 11:01:07 pm
I have a bit of a tin ear to that sometimes.  Even in person.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 09, 2013, 02:48:05 am
Today at his job, someone asked my roommate whether their coffee is gluten-free. At least I have been spared that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 09, 2013, 03:13:09 am
Today at his job, someone asked my roommate whether their coffee is gluten-free. At least I have been spared that.
"Jim: Well I can assure you our paper certainly isn't more flammable"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 09, 2013, 07:37:04 am
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/422729_353705274713176_625549017_n.jpg)

Quote
REFUSE NEW COINS
True Americans will refuse these
This simple action will make a strong statement.

Please help do this.. Refuse to accept these when they are

handed to you.

I received one from the Post Office as change and I asked for a

dollar bill instead.

The lady just smiled and said 'way to go' , so she had read

this e -mail.

Please help out..our world is in enough trouble

without this too!!!!!


U.S. Government to Release
New Dollar Coins


You guessed it
'IN GOD WE TRUST' IS GONE from the front and back!!!

If ever there was a reason to boycott something,
THIS IS IT!!!!

DO NOT ACCEPT THE NEW DOLLAR COINS
AS CHANGE

Together we can force them out of circulation..
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 09, 2013, 01:24:36 pm
Train station ticket machines spit these things out like slot machines for change. I wonder if they would just leave a pile of money in the hopper.

Also:

(http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/PresDollar-Stack.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 09, 2013, 01:37:01 pm
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/422729_353705274713176_625549017_n.jpg)


All True Americans, eh? I know a lot of Southern good ol' boys who consider themselves True Americans and would certainly be part of the target audience of this message...but I'm not sure they're approve of the way "In God we Trust" came to appear on most of our money if they took 20 seconds to check Wikipedia...

Quote
"Aspirations for the motto arose surrounding the turmoil and heightened religious sentiment that existed during the Civil War. The Reverend M. R. Watkinson, as part of a campaign initiated by eleven northern Protestant Christian denominations in a letter dated November 13, 1861, petitioned the Treasury Department to add a statement recognising "Almighty God in some form in our coins."[7] At least part of the motivation was to declare that God was on the Union side of the Civil War.[8] According to Brian Burrell, the actual wording of the motto was inspired by a Union Civil War unit's company motto.["
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 09, 2013, 04:14:59 pm
I will gladly accept all the dollar coins they want to send my way.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on April 09, 2013, 10:04:57 pm
So Americans are getting worked into a lather about same sex marriage and dollar coins, eh?  What is this the 1980's? 2005?

Wait until you catch up to us and get worked into a lather about the assisted suicide debate and the demise of the penny.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on April 09, 2013, 10:31:08 pm
1) open a p.o. box under the name Ulysses Stanton Mint
2) alter that text from paul to say that everybody, in protest, should send their dollars to U.S. Mint - and provide that box #
3) get that shit forwarded everywhere
4) profit
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on April 09, 2013, 10:34:47 pm
I had a weird moment the other day when I realized the baby I'm carrying will never know a world with pennies.  Pennies were always a part of childhood to me.  Adults didn't care about them, you could find them lying on the sidewalk, and yet, with one you could get a bit of candy from a machine, or save enough of them up and you could go to the store and get a nice jolt of sugar.  The penny candy store!  Long gone.  Sigh.

Yesterday I had a parking meter (which I put a dollar coin into) spit out a nickle in change as I had parked in a spot that would be free in 55 minutes.  I thought I was terribly quaint that it gave me back my nickle.  I haven't noticed, can you get a gumball for a nickle these days?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 09, 2013, 11:47:57 pm
How old are you? Did you once wear an onion on your belt?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 10, 2013, 12:23:30 am
Hey! It was the style at the time!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 10, 2013, 01:02:04 am
I do find it hilarious that some morons think it matters whether the money says 'In God We Trust,' but I thought of something even more hilarious; is this even true? I haven't googled the snopes on this.

Edit: Nope, it's bullshit (http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/dollarcoin.asp).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 10, 2013, 03:11:33 am
Posted along with a picture of a US$2 bill...

It's a reasonably funny story, I guess, but can somebody tell me what a couple of young kids not recognizing a bill that comprises less than 1% of the bills in circulation has to do with the recent election?

Side note: the artwork on the back side of the Deuce is a reproduction of a painting by a direct ancestor of mine. The original is in the rotunda of the national archives, I go see it whenever I'm in D.C.
Story is bull because 7 layer burritos cost more than $1.04 at the cheapest Taco Bell franchises. ~1.79.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 10, 2013, 03:14:08 am
Posted along with a picture of a US$2 bill...

It's a reasonably funny story, I guess, but can somebody tell me what a couple of young kids not recognizing a bill that comprises less than 1% of the bills in circulation has to do with the recent election?

Side note: the artwork on the back side of the Deuce is a reproduction of a painting by a direct ancestor of mine. The original is in the rotunda of the national archives, I go see it whenever I'm in D.C.
Also, they are bad at voting because they don't know something that is common sense to me! I'm sure there are no subjects for which the reverse is true.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 10, 2013, 04:34:32 am
I meant to say this a while ago, but I actually had coworkers who didn't believe a $2 was real. I also had some customers ask me if $1 coins were real money.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on April 10, 2013, 11:36:04 am
I had a weird moment the other day when I realized the baby I'm carrying will never know a world with pennies.  Pennies were always a part of childhood to me.  Adults didn't care about them, you could find them lying on the sidewalk, and yet, with one you could get a bit of candy from a machine, or save enough of them up and you could go to the store and get a nice jolt of sugar.  The penny candy store!  Long gone.  Sigh.

Yesterday I had a parking meter (which I put a dollar coin into) spit out a nickle in change as I had parked in a spot that would be free in 55 minutes.  I thought I was terribly quaint that it gave me back my nickle.  I haven't noticed, can you get a gumball for a nickle these days?

I have never known a world with pennies, I have a couple of old 2 dollar notes that I got as a birthday present when I was young but it's been coins all the way down since then. On the other hand abortion still isn't strictly legal in my state and my brother couldn't get married to a dude if he wanted. So I guess the future is never quite what you'd like.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 10, 2013, 01:14:58 pm
We were at the Jefferson Memorial this weekend. They give out $2 bills as change at the gift shop. ZING!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 10, 2013, 03:16:47 pm
Story is bull because 7 layer burritos cost more than $1.04 at the cheapest Taco Bell franchises. ~1.79.

I think somebody pointed out that this story has been circulating for many years. I guess they need to update the price.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 10, 2013, 05:12:59 pm
Also, George Washington dollars were "new" in 2007.  Although to be honest I don't run across the dollar coins all that much anyway.  I think we should scrap the paper dollar altogether.  The buying power fits with change at this point.  I really liked the Sacajawea ones.  They're probably all stuffed in kids' piggy banks across the country.  Maybe when those kids get college age there will be a sudden flood of them into the market.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 10, 2013, 05:34:11 pm
We talked about that on this board at one point. Apparently production of the dollar coins are mandated by Congress and they are filling up warehouses because nobody wants them.

At least that's what the news story I heard on NPR said. I want to use them, but I never receive them in change. Perhaps I should ask for them.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 10, 2013, 07:04:23 pm
Maybe they'd be so worked up they'd stop whining about ObamaCare microchip implants and Secret Muslim Footbaths in Congress.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 10, 2013, 08:31:13 pm
Can you imagine how badly people would flip out if paper was replaced with one and two dollar coins? ...

Goddammit, it'd take some balls to do it but it'd be cool as hell.

That's pretty much what they did in Canada, right? Just told everyone "deal with it" and announced that paper bills would be worthless by such-and-such date? And now everyone loves their loonies and toonies. Sometimes (OK, many times) the American public is too stubborn for its own damn good.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on April 10, 2013, 09:40:15 pm
That's pretty much what they did in Canada, right? Just told everyone "deal with it" and announced that paper bills would be worthless by such-and-such date? And now everyone loves their loonies and toonies. Sometimes (OK, many times) the American public is too stubborn for its own damn good.

Yup, that's pretty much how it went down.  I'm not sure if the affect was broader than I'm aware of, but for me it meant that I stopped carrying cash most of the time and primarily use debit, and that seems to be the case for most people I interact with up here.  I'm assuming by the way you folks talk that that's not the case for you?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 10, 2013, 09:48:03 pm
I'm assuming by the way you folks talk that that's not the case for you?

No, that's the way it is here. It doesn't say In God We Trust on my debit card.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 11, 2013, 12:35:28 am
No, that's the way it is here. It doesn't say In God We Trust on my debit card.

That was canworthy, good sir.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 11, 2013, 01:59:12 pm
I'm assuming by the way you folks talk that that's not the case for you?

They've tried introducing dollar coins several times over the past 25 years or so. People come up with bullshit reasons why they don't like them. Too close in size to quarters. Too big, I don't want to carry a bunch of heavy coins in my pocket. My cash register doesn't have an extra slot for dollar coins. And all the sound reasons for having them--primarily that they last much longer than paper bills and will ultimately save the government money--get ignored, despite all our bitching about how the government needs to spend less. So for once I wish our leadership would just say "quit your bitching and adjust," and in five years no one will care.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2013, 02:14:09 pm
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/482199_458827910853071_483015264_n.jpg)

Quote
Did the US Government already know something?
Five dollar bill shows the twin towers, Ten dollar bill shows after the planes collided, Twenty dollar bill shows the building collapsing, Fifty dollar bill shows the dust and the smoke, One Hundred dollar bill shows a new beginning...The monies are all shaped like Airplanes... What a Coincidence huh!!!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on April 11, 2013, 02:16:46 pm
it should have a u.s. flag with a great big $1 on the obverse, and a grown male deer head on the obverse; it would just be called a buck; it should supplant the paper dollar and the penny at the same time. it would be our loonie, and people are idiots for resisting it.

i'd also like to see a different motto, because "in god we trust" falsely assumes quite a bit about our population and founders, but we can't even introduce a popular dollar coin, so how the fuck are we going to get church out of state there? (see also pledge of allegiance) has anybody coined the term faithist yet? if not, dibs.

/me googles
urbandictionary already has it defined according to my intent, so i missed out there, but other references are to a religion i've never heard of from the late 1800s. oh well.

jesus paul, that's ridiculous
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 11, 2013, 02:54:47 pm
it should have a u.s. flag with a great big $1 on the obverse, and a grown male deer head on the reverse; it would just be called a buck; it should supplant the paper dollar and the penny at the same time. it would be our loonie, and people are idiots for resisting it.

Agreed on all points. (also fixed the double obverse.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on April 11, 2013, 03:57:18 pm
derp. thanks.

also, why the fuck does this country not have numbers on its coins. seriously, not a single coin with a number? i get that english is kind of the new lingua franca (a perennial favorite phrase, latin for french language) but there are enough americans that can't read without worrying about international visitors bungling coin values. stupid, stupid practices. just ugh.

with any luck i'm ranted out for the day or longer.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2013, 08:00:20 pm
I was so happy when I banished everyone that sent me crap emails like that.  :) Unfortunately they all migrated to Facebook.  :(
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 11, 2013, 08:38:03 pm
There is nowhere to hide from how BS this one is.

Not that you need this, but still: http://www.snopes.com/racial/humor/fearmost.asp
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 11, 2013, 08:40:09 pm
actually, they have done some studies and found that we would not save money by switching to coins rather than dollar bills. The reasons are:
1. Our dollar bills are incredibly resilient and long-lasting compared to other paper money across the world. Because we rule.
2. The "top of the dresser" effect-- people don't like carrying around lots of coins, so they have to keep more coins in circulation to make up for how many are sitting in jars, inside couches, etc.

Sauce (http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/04/19/150976150/should-we-kill-the-dollar-bill)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 11, 2013, 09:01:50 pm
People get used to carrying coins if they're money that is actually worth something. I don't think you can extrapolate from the fact that people leave pennies on the dresser. If those coins were worth a dollar, it would be a different story. What you have to study is whether people in other countries leave the equivalent of dollar coins on the dresser and I doubt that they do. I have lived in Canada and travelled in Japan, where there are coins that are worth like five dollars. You buy a nice little coin purse and you just carry the damn coins. It's really not a big deal.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 11, 2013, 09:15:46 pm
No, they have found that this holds true in the UK and Canada. They had to print 1.6 dollar/pound coins for every paper dollar previously in circulation. (http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/11/29/166103071/no-killing-the-dollar-bill-would-not-save-the-government-money)

I still think switching to coins might be a good idea. Just not for the "saving money" reason.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2013, 09:48:17 pm
That bump would only happen at the outset. And as we have already discussed, the govenment has warehouses of new coins awaiting circulation so it's already paid for.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on April 11, 2013, 10:05:16 pm
Both my dad and The Lady's don't consider coins money. My dad will give the cashier $2 for a $1.01 bill without even checking his pocket for a penny. All the change he accumulates during the day goes in a box by the front door when he gets home. He thought I was nuts for using change anywhere other than a parking meter. I honestly think he feels that giving a cashier change is something only women do.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 12, 2013, 05:37:08 am
are earthquakes queer cause they happen in california?  or like, is that just old meaning of queer?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 12, 2013, 12:27:01 pm
I honestly think he feels that giving a cashier change is something only women do.

My empirical data supports this conclusion.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2013, 02:27:19 pm
Quote
Write '____' in the comment box and see the magic!!!!

It fairly boggles the mind that people still fall for this in 2013.  I noticed that a cousin of mine did this 3 times this morning on the same photo before she got the message that nothing was going to happen. This is a brilliant woman with a masters degree. Her daughter is a doctor.

In related news, the Bill Gates meme has migrated to Facebook and is making the rounds.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 12, 2013, 08:52:39 pm
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/77155_466257290123174_210677688_n.jpg)

I just threw up in my mouth a little.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2013, 10:22:32 pm
Funds Al Qaeda?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 13, 2013, 12:49:07 am
I'm pretty sure the military has been training somewhere on this continent since before there was a US.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 13, 2013, 05:12:12 pm
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/534451_360875514019059_1820407606_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 15, 2013, 01:19:29 pm
When George W Bush did the same type of shit, those same people didn't seem too concerned. IOKIYAR!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 17, 2013, 02:08:37 am
A lot of people have been posting this (http://mashable.com/2013/04/15/dove-ad-beauty-sketches/) bit of nonsense. So far I haven't gotten into it with anybody, but I want to just start pointing out everything that's wrong with it. Lord give me strength.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 17, 2013, 10:00:00 pm
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/163592_10201076873830964_1856845526_n.jpg)
I'm all for greater economic and financial literacy in our schools; but if you didn't learn what taxes are, what voting is, or anything about a bank, then my guess is you just blew it off because "taxes? who cares?"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 17, 2013, 10:38:42 pm
Also weird that they picked basic geometry to throw out.

Today a dude accused me of lying because I told him we only serve one kind of gooey butter cake. I promised him that this was the kind we have every day, and offered a free sample. Nope, clearly I was lying to trick him into buying the wrong kind.

I just try to imagine that this guy has had a pretty shitty life if he can't even trust someone enough to try a free sample. I guess I can't be mad at someone who has had it that hard.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2013, 12:17:33 am
I've definitely had days where the wrong kind of gooey butter cake would have been the last straw.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2013, 12:59:43 am
Yesterday the nervous new girl at the Italian bakery gave me the wrong kind of cannoli, and it was way better than the kind I usually get.

Apologies in advance if cannoli with lemon zest in the ricotta make wombat sad.

In a reverse of what usually belongs in this topic, the owner of the Italian bakery is one of my customers, and likes my lattes so much that she tried to hire me. Unfortunately she cannot afford the pay a fancy guy like me is used to.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2013, 01:07:04 am
Yesterday the nervous new girl at the Italian bakery gave me the wrong kind of cannoli, and it was way better than the kind I usually get.

Now that is an important life lesson.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 21, 2013, 04:39:06 pm
Me: "Can I get a breakfast bagel please?"
Cashier: "No. We stopped serving those at 11."
Me: ::shrugs and walks away::
Cashier: "Sike! I'm just messing with you! You can have a breakfast bagel any time."
Me: ::kept walking::
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 22, 2013, 05:29:10 am
Today the guy who refused to believe me about the cake bought it again and tried to avoid eye contact.

Today I told someone I was meeting for the first time what my job is, and she laughed in my face.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 22, 2013, 01:31:24 pm
Today I told someone I was meeting for the first time what my job is, and she laughed in my face.

I hope you told her to go fuck herself?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 22, 2013, 01:39:26 pm
Inev, have you checked out this show: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/10_Items_or_Less/70058005?locale=en-US
Anyone who has worked in a grocery store and those who have not may like it. Personally, I thought it was fuck*ng hilarious.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 22, 2013, 01:53:42 pm
Inev, that's how you tell when a person is a piece of shit and not worth your time. Seriously, who does that? There's no shame in honest work.

I get the opposite reaction from people when I'm actually at work. If I mention that I finished grad school, the inevitable (ha!) question is, "Why do you work here?"

To which I reply, "My master's is in history."

And they say, "Oh, that makes sense."

I haven't had an occasion to tell someone I've never met before where I work, because 90% of the people I meet and befriend are customers. Which tells you something about both my job and my social life.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 22, 2013, 02:24:36 pm
Today I told someone I was meeting for the first time what my job is, and she laughed in my face.

If she was laughing at you and not with you she's not worth your time worrying about.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on April 22, 2013, 03:08:18 pm
Today the guy who refused to believe me about the cake bought it again and tried to avoid eye contact.

You should have told him you have the kind he wanted, and gone and gotten the exact same cake from the back.

Also, I am looking forward to a very special cake soon. (http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/baby-shower-cakes-made-of-nightmares)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 22, 2013, 03:13:22 pm
You should have told him you have the kind he wanted, and gone and gotten the exact same cake from the back.

Smells is an evil genius.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 22, 2013, 03:19:02 pm
Smells is an evil genius.

Smells understands how people think.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 22, 2013, 03:54:40 pm
I am looking forward to a very special cake soon. (http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/baby-shower-cakes-made-of-nightmares)

Yummy!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 22, 2013, 04:05:24 pm
Holy balls, those cakes were awful.

Except the Darth Vader/It's a Girl. That one was kind of awesome.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 22, 2013, 05:09:36 pm
The URL for the cake place had "peggy" in the title, and I immediately thought the wrong thing.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 22, 2013, 07:58:11 pm
As of today I am on a 24 year and 11 month streak of not telling anyone to go fuck themselves. I would like to break this streak before I get to 25 years.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on April 22, 2013, 08:04:59 pm
The Cabage Patch kid one - I lost it.  

The whole "going to the back" thing is something I learned quickly in retail.  It is far better, even if you know with 100% certainty that the customer is wrong, to go check the back.  It takes less out of you than having a fight with a stubborn/stupid person, and if you do bring out a thing, even if it's an alternate to a thing on a shelf right in front of them, it makes people feel better, or at least they go away.  They got "special" service and I got a five minute mini-break while staring at some boxes instead of five minutes of aggravation.  I've pulled that trick so many times, at so many jobs, especially during the Christmas rush.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 22, 2013, 08:18:23 pm
The Cabage Patch kid one - I lost it.  

The whole "going to the back" thing is something I learned quickly in retail.  It is far better, even if you know with 100% certainty that the customer is wrong, to go check the back.  It takes less out of you than having a fight with a stubborn/stupid person, and if you do bring out a thing, even if it's an alternate to a thing on a shelf right in front of them, it makes people feel better, or at least they go away.  They got "special" service and I got a five minute mini-break while staring at some boxes instead of five minutes of aggravation.  I've pulled that trick so many times, at so many jobs, especially during the Christmas rush.

Yeah, when we change locations next month we're not going to have a "back room." I'm not sure how I'll handle difficult customers without a stockroom to hide in.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 22, 2013, 10:16:08 pm
That is a problem. Is there somewhere you can put, like, a curtain across a space big enough for you to stand in, and no one else will know there isn't a door behind it?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 22, 2013, 10:47:04 pm
Not really. There's a door leading to a hallway with a restroom, and there will be shelving with merchandise on it, but it will be additional retail space. Customers will be allowed back there.

Though I guess anyone who's not a regular won't know that. And the regulars, generally, are not pains in the ass.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 22, 2013, 10:56:21 pm
I go to the back "to check" all the time. There isn't anything back there, because our store was designed by idiots. We are always out of stuff because there is no storage space.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on April 23, 2013, 12:34:25 am
Yeah, when we change locations next month we're not going to have a "back room." I'm not sure how I'll handle difficult customers without a stockroom to hide in.

That's when you need to step out back to check the loading dock, even if there is no loading dock.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 23, 2013, 05:40:55 am
this lady on my neighborhood list serv is complaining about kids coming in her yard to retrive their baseballs, and I want so badly to post youtube clips of The Sandlot.

She is convinced that they are PURPOSELY hitting the balls into her yard, and won't explain why. Other than mentioning that their parents are "drug dealers, thiefs and liars."

Her concern is that one of her dogs will attack/bite a kid, and will get put down or whatever. Which is a legitimate concern, I guess. Still, hard not to see her as a crazy old lady literally telling kids to stay off her lawn. Especially in light of the bizarre belief that they do it on purpose.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 23, 2013, 12:56:11 pm
That's a legitimate concern, but it would be better to solve it by not leaving her dogs in the yard by themselves. Most dogs are not as happy that way as people think and it ends up causing behavior problems.

But it's funny she thinks they all have such good aim hitting a baseball.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on April 23, 2013, 01:45:31 pm
Me: "Can I get a breakfast bagel please?"
Cashier: "No. We stopped serving those at 11."
Me: ::shrugs and walks away::
Cashier: "Sike! I'm just messing with you! You can have a breakfast bagel any time."
Me: ::kept walking::

At first I thought, dude, lighten up. But I thought about it some more and I would do the same thing.

Yeah, when we change locations next month we're not going to have a "back room." I'm not sure how I'll handle difficult customers without a stockroom to hide in.

(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5073059336_1671e54705.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 23, 2013, 01:54:04 pm
(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5073059336_1671e54705.jpg)

If she fires that, she's going to brain herself.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 23, 2013, 02:01:53 pm
(http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p480x480/422164_10152429866965942_2095529656_n.jpg)

This guy has deluded himself into believing his obama=hitler and God Save the Guns posts on facebook are his gift to saving the future of the planet?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 23, 2013, 02:10:17 pm
Quote from: dumbass FB friend
Yet according to FBI crime statistics, more people are killed by "bats & clubs" than by guns every year. Shall we start banning bats next?

Actual FBI crime statistics show that this isn't even goddamn close. In 2010 homicides by gun outnumbered homicides by "blunt object" by a factor of 10 to 1.  http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/baseballbats.asp

Which, if you had thought about it for ONE fuck*ng SECOND you might have realized without looking at a viable source. How many shootings do you read about in the paper or see on the TV news every night? OK, how many bludgeonings? But someone threw out a stat that supports your argument and you went "Works for me!" without giving it a second thought.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 23, 2013, 02:21:42 pm
How many shootings do you read about in the paper or see on the TV news every night? OK, how many bludgeonings?

And note that if there was a baseball bat murder you'd probably be more likely to hear about it because it's unusual and thus newsworthy, but I can't think of one recently.

My friend in California regularly sends me news items about criminals wielding samurai swords. But that doesn't mean there are a lot of them. It's a "man bites dog" kind of thing.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on April 23, 2013, 02:30:51 pm
Actual FBI crime statistics show that this isn't even goddamn close. In 2010 homicides by gun outnumbered homicides by "blunt object" by a factor of 10 to 1.  http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/baseballbats.asp

Which, if you had thought about it for ONE fuck*ng SECOND you might have realized without looking at a viable source. How many shootings do you read about in the paper or see on the TV news every night? OK, how many bludgeonings? But someone threw out a stat that supports your argument and you went "Works for me!" without giving it a second thought.


I think this may come from a viable source that shows homicides by blunt objects outnumber homicides by assault rifles. Someone at work sent a link to some kind of .gov page with a bunch of rambling about how stupid some people are for supporting a ban on assault rifles or any additional gun control as a reaction to recent shootings. The same page also showed that the handgun is the single largest cause of homicide in the US. I didn't point out that he was making a terrible case against gun control because we were at work and I had other shit to do.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 23, 2013, 08:32:53 pm
This guy has deluded himself into believing his obama=hitler and God Save the Guns posts on facebook are his gift to saving the future of the planet?
Based on the feedback I get from various posts I have put up, FB viewer demand is: Pictures of Food > Pictures of Younger Relatives > Random daily stuff > Pictures of Family Pets >.........................>political shit.



Despite that - the stat was indeed deaths by "assault rifle".  If you want to go by deadliness of gunshot though, close range shotgun trumps just about everything.  You don't need to be skilled, you can be so frightened and stressed that your aim isn't steady, and their effect is ruinous.  Traumatic amputations, multiple wound tracts, huge transfer of shock, etc. Ammunition is cheap, plentiful, and relatively easy to manufacture through reloading. They will be the last gun banned however, because they really do have a multitude of hunting and peaceful sporting uses.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 23, 2013, 09:18:58 pm
Despite that - the stat was indeed deaths by "assault rifle". 

That may be so, but my original poster definitely compared bats/clubs to "guns." If you're gonna argue this shit, be precise in your terms, dammit.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 23, 2013, 09:42:29 pm
Now the lady has revealed that the kids who are "purposely" throwing balls into her yard are FOUR OR FIVE YEARS OLD.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 23, 2013, 11:08:08 pm
Those little cretins.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 24, 2013, 01:08:07 am
Not to take the side of your neighbor, who is obviously a lunatic, but what are four or five year old kids doing playing baseball outside without parental supervision?

My neighbor has a four-year-old and a two-year-old and they are outside by themselves all the time. The older one comes over and I have had to tell him one a weekly basis not to come in my gate and play on my kids' swing set and trampoline without an adult's permission. I've got no problem with him coming over and playing, but I don't want him to get hurt on my property when I'm not even home and his own mom has no idea where he is.

Also, if he's outside and sees me pull into the driveway, he'll deliberately run into my yard and into the path of my car because he wants to see if my kids are in the car with me. He wants to play, and if I tell him no (which is usually, because for pete's sake, we just got home from somewhere) he wants to know why, and where we were, or whatever. The same if he sees me leaving -- where are we going? When will we be back? I brush him off, usually, and I feel bad doing it, but I've got 99 problems and your inquisitive ass ain't one.

I live in fear that he's going to turn up behind my van while I'm backing up one day and it's going to be tragic. But his mom is hopeless. I've known her since high school. The kids live with their single mom and her parents, and between the three adults in that house nobody really seems to care where the kids are or what they're doing. All I can do is be extra vigilant about backing into or out of my driveway and keep telling the kids to ask their mom or grandma before they come into my yard.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on April 24, 2013, 02:01:16 am
Or you can report them for neglect.  Because, yeah.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 24, 2013, 02:38:57 am
I don't know if that'll fly in this county. The kids are well-fed and healthy, and they're not being left home alone during the day while mom works. They just run around outside unattended a lot. But even that would be hard to prove -- it'd be my (anonymous) word against my neighbors'.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 24, 2013, 02:58:51 am
oh, no, they are playing outside with their parents, in their own fenced-in yard. That is part of why she claims it is somehow intentional. Still won't explain why she thinks that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on April 24, 2013, 03:09:38 am
If she fires that, she's going to brain herself.

Apparently you haven't seen Resident Evil.

But fine, perhaps more realistic (and IMO sexier):

(http://www.airsoftnews.eu/e107_plugins/autogallery/Gallery/Motivational/Boomstick.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 24, 2013, 12:22:15 pm
oh, no, they are playing outside with their parents, in their own fenced-in yard. That is part of why she claims it is somehow intentional. Still won't explain why she thinks that.

OK, now that is bizarre.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 24, 2013, 04:25:05 pm
Yet people talking about the Irish, Polish and Italians did not prevent them from moving up in society. So what's your point?
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/488020_10151348670420493_211510321_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 24, 2013, 04:31:07 pm
You mean wander into the street and get run over by a car?
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/923140_10151482402768673_1829209661_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 24, 2013, 05:23:57 pm
Yet people talking about the Irish, Polish and Italians did not prevent them from moving up in society. So what's your point?
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/488020_10151348670420493_211510321_n.jpg)

The point is that people saying "ugh those mexicans, they won't integrate, they won't learn english, they are ruining america" are idiotic racists who don't know anything about history.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 24, 2013, 05:42:10 pm
Inev is absolutely correct.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 24, 2013, 06:02:46 pm
(http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/922931_456452061115565_1326231517_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 25, 2013, 05:16:08 pm
Question: how did people know when Reagun got Alzheimer's?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 25, 2013, 05:29:46 pm
Among the people polled, the fact that Reagan is dead would still not make Obama the preferred candidate.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 25, 2013, 06:56:44 pm
From Facebook just now.
Quote
Snopes is bullshit. Don't believe them either
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 25, 2013, 08:27:02 pm
FTFY



I always wondered which it was supposed to be.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 25, 2013, 08:51:28 pm
crazy-ass flag thing mourning the death of America

Funny, substitute "oligarchs" for "progressive dissidents," and "Congress" for "White House," and I don't think it's that far off.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 26, 2013, 01:03:41 am
As soon as the 'Star Wars' SDI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Defense_Initiative) got bounced out he became Ronnie Raygun.

Oh, I always knew he did that and know of this song by Gil Scott Heron that calls him raygun over and over again, but never put that together.  Then just recently my dad was telling me about some punk band from the 80s called the naked rayguns- I was able to put that together and told him what it means, thought that was just the way they changed it to make it more band name-y though.  Now I know!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 26, 2013, 07:47:20 pm
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/482719_541201365924574_359023970_n.jpg)

Quote
SON: "Daddy, may I ask you a question?"
DAD: "Yeah sure, what is it?"
SON: "Daddy, how much do you make an hour?"
DAD: "That's none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing?"
SON: "I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?"
DAD: "If you must know, I make $100 an hour."
SON: "Oh! (With his head down).
SON: "Daddy, may I please borrow $50?"
The father was furious.
DAD: "If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you are being so selgiraffe. I work hard everyday for such this childish behavior."

The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door.
The man sat down and started to get even angrier about the little boy's questions. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money?
After about an hour or so, the man had calmed down, and started to think:
Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $ 50 and he really didn't ask for money very often. The man went to the door of the little boy's room and opened the door.

DAD: "Are you asleep, son?"

SON: "No daddy, I'm awake".
DAD: "I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier. It's been a long day and I took out my aggravation on you. Here's the $50 you asked for."

The little boy sat straight up, smiling.
SON: "Oh, thank you daddy!"
Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills. The man saw that the boy already had money, started to get angry again. The little boy slowly counted out his money, and then looked up at his father.

DAD: "Why do you want more money if you already have some?"

SON: "Because I didn't have enough, but now I do.

"Daddy, I have $100 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you."
The father was crushed. He put his arms around his little son, and he begged for his forgiveness. It's just a short reminder to all of you working so hard in life. We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts. Do remember to share that $100 worth of your time with someone you love? If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of days. But the family and friends we leave behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives. And come to think of it, we pour ourselves more into work than to our family.

Some things are more important.

Please LIKE and SHARE :)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 26, 2013, 08:10:04 pm
Damn, Paul, I just shit out my spleen over that. I'm losing body parts fast here.

I wonder why Dad had to make $100 an hour. It would have been a lot more realistic and explicable if it was, like, $12.50.

Ha ha ha... Oh no, I'm starting to think like Ash. My comment on that post "I think my pancreas just went into shock."

Funny thing is, no more than 15 min. earlier she posted this
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/383308_10201094341660561_1919989374_n.jpg)
I thought "finally someone gets it." So I am holding out hope that she posted the other thing ironically.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 26, 2013, 08:50:49 pm
Hey pops, you're pulling down, what? $200k a year? Think you can float me $50?
EAT SHIT AND DIE, KID! GO TO YOUR ROOM!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 26, 2013, 09:56:21 pm
Yeah, if you look very closely at that story it doesn't add up in a number of ways.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 28, 2013, 03:55:18 pm
He was the one telling other people to look it up. Both sides were so adamant they refused to bother googling it. He finally conceded when even the woman who he considers to be the dumbest person in the room joined in opposing him.

After this I'm sure he's the only one that still thought she was the dumbest person in the room.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 06, 2013, 09:58:57 pm
(http://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/945345_558302354235841_1537030885_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 09, 2013, 07:19:54 pm
Caller: "Hi I'm cindy calling from US Pharmacy in New Jersey
Acap: "Awesome!"
Caller: "We're offering a sale on US pharmaceuticals and we would like to give you the opportunity to order your prescriptions at low prices. Are you interested?"
Acap: "Very"
Caller: "What prescriptions are you interested in today?"
Acap: "I'll take a hundred xanax bars, a few dozen ludes, and a brick of viagra."
Caller: "We can help you get great deals on xanax and viagra"

What?

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03122007
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 24, 2013, 11:01:52 pm
Steve

Someone with a degree oriented towards law/business/ policy please explains to me the most expeditious path to becoming a politician at a state or national level. I hate our current state of government. It is outmoded, bureaucratic, self righteous, unholy, anti-constitution, anti-freedom, anti-life, anti-American in every way and the ship needs to be righted by men of character and gravity.
Like · · Share · about an hour ago via Mobile ·

    Steve likes this.
    Steve  And it needs to happen immediately!
    about an hour ago via mobile · Like · 1
    Steve Please explain*
    Steve likes this.
    about an hour ago via mobile · Like · 1


 :D
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 28, 2013, 04:39:56 am
a good friend of mine from HS is a trans-man and posts every day about some outrage of transphobia the media/some organization has committed. Most of the time I have a very hard time figuring out what is outrageous about the instance.

I feel like maybe I am not a good "ally" every time, and then remember that this person has always been self-centered and hypersensitive to the point of complete delusion. This has nothing to do with his politics or gender identity.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on May 28, 2013, 04:33:16 pm
Morons, a-holes and jerks probably occur at the same frequency in persecuted minorities as in the general population.  It is harder to criticise them however, without being branded a bigot. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 28, 2013, 04:49:39 pm
I think they actually occur in higher percentages. Or at least, being persecuted turns people into a particular kind of asshole. I think a lot about this when poor people are being dicks to me at work.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 01, 2013, 09:39:23 pm
Quote
we are part of 118 hackathons today in 14 countries. We are helping the world become a better place. #stl #hackforchange

I am gonna puke every day if I get this job. Puke all the way to the bank.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on June 01, 2013, 09:48:33 pm
I had to google hackathon.  From the name I had hoped it was something more misanthropic.  Sorry Inev.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 03, 2013, 03:13:19 am
I called my grandparents to say "happy anniversary" today. My grandmother answered and before I could even get those two words out of my mouth, she started explaining how Barack Hussein Obama was in cahoots with Al Qaeda in a conspiracy to institute sharia law in America.

 I am not Snopes.com, but I have suspicions about the accuracy of her story.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 03, 2013, 04:04:46 am
I went to a party yesterday, a bunch of my mother's cousins were there. I should have written down all of the shit I heard.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on June 03, 2013, 11:08:11 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03122007

Next comic: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03132007

A picks-up-the-penis-between-pushes type is the electronic equivalent of a mouth-breather.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on June 19, 2013, 09:47:04 am
Ok, but what do we do for all the just kind of shitty people in between.?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on June 20, 2013, 08:12:04 am
That's kind of ambiguous as to whether it's good or bad... so that works.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 23, 2013, 05:46:30 pm
(https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/7867_540896445973275_251877275_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 23, 2013, 09:47:49 pm
Some people have no sense of humor. A Friend posted a photo of her dad on Facebook for Father's Day. He was sitting behind the wheel of a race car. Very bad ass. My comment "I didn't know your dad was Steve McQueen." Her reply was "Better looking." One of her friends chimed in "Oh yes, he's much cuter." I shot back "I'll bet he got more pussy too."

She deleted my comment.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 23, 2013, 10:59:45 pm
I would delete that too.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 23, 2013, 11:47:05 pm
I thought it was funny.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 24, 2013, 03:51:39 am
I don't think you did anything wrong. Sometimes people just don't like jokes like that. I worry about things like that ever since I made an off-color joke on a picture of my friend's family member, and then his grandma saw it and apparently asked him about it. Yeesh.

Today was a good one at work. Every customer did at least one thing I couldn't understand. Like, not mean things, just completely bizarre and incomprehensible. MORE THAN ONE PERSON asked for an "ice cream smoothie" and then were confused when I said "one milkshake, coming up!" Multiple people tried to swipe their card on the card reader when my back was turned, before I had even seen that they were there, and one of them got MAD at me when I said "oh, I didn't see you there, can I help you with something ma'am?" She shook her head angrily and walked away muttering.

Also my coworker caught a guy stealing, he yelled at her and called her a bitch, so she told him to get his crackhead ass out of her store, and then he just stood there screaming at her and threatening her until a cop came and made him leave. This guy comes in and buys ice cream cones from me with his food stamp card, and is covered in really scary tattoos. Including knuckle tattoos that say SLOW PAIN. I don't even know what that means on your knuckles.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 24, 2013, 06:04:50 am
Ice cream smoothie, heh heh...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 24, 2013, 06:26:56 am
She demanded that I remake her "smoothie" with ice cubes blended in. WHAT.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 01, 2013, 02:36:51 am
My coworker overheard a conversation about the posters in my doctor's office (about certain drugs and their side effects), and missed a few important parts. Today he approached me, very concerned, and asked if I still want to kill myself.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on July 01, 2013, 12:29:35 pm
"ice cream smoothie"

 Civilization is going to hell in a handbasket.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on July 01, 2013, 09:56:40 pm
Civilization is going to hell in a handbasket.

Says the woman who feeds brioche to her dog.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on July 01, 2013, 11:06:13 pm
Which is very civilized.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 02, 2013, 01:33:44 am
At petco dropping off some cats today- saw dog peanut butter for $10, which is just peanut butter without salt or sugar and with flax seed.  Selling for $10!!  Please don't buy that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on July 02, 2013, 01:42:30 am
At petco dropping off some cats today- saw dog peanut butter for $10, which is just peanut butter without salt or sugar and with flax seed.  Selling for $10!!  Please don't buy that.

I can't figure out who buys that kind of stuff, except I think it's the result of years of advice not to feed dogs "people food." So some people are afraid to use anything that isn't labelled specifically for dogs. Which is a totally bizarre situation when at the same time high-end dog food companies are touting their human-quality ingredients.

You can also buy canned pumpkin especially for dogs which is basically just canned pumpkin at twice or three times the human-canned-pumpkin price.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on July 02, 2013, 01:58:37 am
That reminds me of this book I read once. But that was about alien pets, so, you know, completely different.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 02, 2013, 02:49:06 am
Yeah and what's the deal with giving dogs "dogbones" anyway? There's all kinds of human bones all over the place. Some even wrapped in meat.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on July 02, 2013, 12:37:10 pm
That reminds me of this book I read once. But that was about alien pets, so, you know, completely different.

Extrapolating from current trends, isn't that what SF is all about?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on July 03, 2013, 08:34:32 am
That reminds me of this book I read once. But that was about alien pets, so, you know, completely different.

Beat me to it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 04, 2013, 12:07:27 am
Because I don't want you guys to miss out on any of my humiliating adventures:

"So, I guess someone is seeing my apartment tonight."
"oh, sure. That can happen."
"no, I mean, I have to clean it."
"I don't care about that! Give me a break!"
"no. No. Not you. Someone is coming to look at my apartment, with my landlord. To rent it. I probably can't make our date."
"oh."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on July 04, 2013, 01:04:27 am
the funny thing is i can picture you on either side of that conversation
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 05, 2013, 03:02:39 am
Long chain of complainers on my neighborhood forum talking about fireworks.

Quote
Unfortunate that on a day where people all over our city are feeling joy and pride, so many in our neighborhood are grumpy about a little noise. Wasn't this country founded by lawbreakers, runaways, and scalawags? Hopefully one day everyone in Shaw will be wise enough to stay in and complain on the internet instead of having fun with their neighbors. ah well. I just got home from work, time to go out and enjoy the holiday.

I couldn't help myself. Probably going to get told off by a bunch of grumpy old assholes. Sure, fireworks are unsafe and noisy. In the city with the highest crime rate in the US, I'm happy to see people of all shapes, sizes, colors, whatever having fun and watching pretty lights in the sky. Everywhere I looked on my drive home I saw families, couples, singles, everyone out watching the fireworks. Driving home took forever because there were cars parked on every bridge blocking a lane of traffic. I got to stop long enough in traffic to look out and see the fireworks exploding behind the arch. Beautiful.

confirmed that I did it right, because everyone is yelling at me and cussing and calling me an asshole. Feels like victory.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on July 05, 2013, 05:46:21 am
Way to be man!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 05, 2013, 06:06:39 am
I wish I had been a little less snotty, or something, but man these people are freaking out about these fireworks, and saying how the people shooting them off are bad neighbors, inconsiderate, selgiraffe, bad parents putting their kids in danger, etc.

I'm sure comparing fireworks to jaywalking or going through a stop sign on your bike would not help the situation.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on July 05, 2013, 11:44:59 am
I bet they complain about the noise and music and high-fat treats when the ice cream truck comes around too.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on July 05, 2013, 03:28:06 pm
Nothing like going to a free, public fireworks display to remind you that our forefathers fought and died to protect our inalienable right to behave like a jerk.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on July 05, 2013, 06:53:28 pm
confirmed that I did it right, because everyone is yelling at me and cussing and calling me an asshole. Feels like victory.
Damn straight.  Have a can.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on July 05, 2013, 09:37:52 pm
Have a whole six pack.

I saw some fireworks and made this image (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/9214592240/) from it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 06, 2013, 02:55:19 am
they are still talking about it, 24 hours later. Normally this much discussion only happens when someone suggests you don't have to call the cops every time you see a black guy outside.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 06, 2013, 03:53:11 am
they are still talking about it, 24 hours later. Normally this much discussion only happens when someone suggests you don't have to call the cops every time you see a black guy outside.
I asked a black guy if he needed directions last week and he went full on militant on my ass. He rolled down all the windows to show his wife and kids in the car and then got out and asked 'why the fck' I was asking that question. He said he saw a sign a for an open house (at 8pm) and wanted to check it out. I explained he was going the wrong way down a one way road and that he could turn around in my driveway. Asking him to turn around and go away didn't go over so I just said "Ok man, I have to get back to what I was doing. Good luck with the house!" This seriously rattled me for a few reasons and the girl got mad that I let it get to me - that some guy was out there cursing me as a racist because I offered directions.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on July 06, 2013, 05:42:07 pm
You should ask the "Is this racist" guy if you were being racist.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 06, 2013, 05:53:16 pm
you were not being racist, obviously, but I think a lot of black people have had a lot of bad experiences with people trying to let them know they are not wanted in a certain area. Unfortunately you got yelled at by a guy who judged wrong. At work I always wondered why black customers were so suspicious of me until I realized that many of my coworkers are quazi-openly rude and unhelpful to black customers.

People sometimes suck.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 01, 2013, 05:23:35 pm
This "friend" I really don't like, but can't escape because my friends are all apologists for her, is slowly insinuating herself into cultural power structures in this city. She sucks, refuses to listen to anyone else's ideas, doesn't care about anyone but herself and her friends, and is a relentless self-promoter. UGH.

She keeps talking recently about how we need better "publicity," and saying that a lot of our problems are problems of perception-- "I live in St Louis and I have never been mugged and I have a good job, why can't the media tell more representative stories?" Because her story is more "representative" of St Louis than statistics???

This week there have been TWO humiliating stories in the NYT about St Louis, one about school transfers and racism (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/01/us/in-missouri-race-complicates-a-transfer-to-better-schools.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0) and one that touches on My Alma Mater Not Caring about Poor Students (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/education/elite-colleges-differ-on-how-they-aid-poor.html?hpw&_r=2). Maybe our publicity person could somehow fix the perception that these problems exist?

Jesus. I have disliked this lady for so many years, but I feel like if I make that better known I will become The Bad Guy.

I also got in a pretty intense argument at work with a customer who wanted to talk to me about the recent fast food walkouts (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/01/business/strike-for-day-seeks-to-raise-fast-food-pay.html?pagewanted=all). Week of confrontation.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 01, 2013, 06:02:22 pm
I got so mad that I was shaking. This man wasn't saying "the economic model of fast food chains won't support a raise," which I could understand if not agree with. But he said "if these people have no avenue to better themselves, they should take whatever we'll give them. They don't have the right to ask for more."

If I had been a little less angry maybe I would have pointed out that he is in a union (he works on the light rail line) and gets paid twice the minimum wage because SOMEONE stood up and demanded it. Then again, if I had been less angry I probably would have ignored the initial comment that started the discussion.

If I was a little more angry I would have made a disparaging comment about how I'm sure taking tickets on the train is so, so much harder than working at McDonald's.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 01, 2013, 06:46:45 pm
My dad talks sometimes about the time he did that at a job he had when I was a newborn. He said he thinks about it a lot, because threatening to quit because they aren't giving you enough good work when you have an unemployed wife and a newborn kid is pretty dumb. And yet if he hadn't done that, he wouldn't have started down the path he ended up on. Risk. Interesting.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 01, 2013, 07:52:36 pm
I got so mad that I was shaking. This man wasn't saying "the economic model of fast food chains won't support a raise," which I could understand if not agree with. But he said "if these people have no avenue to better themselves, they should take whatever we'll give them. They don't have the right to ask for more."

If I had been a little less angry maybe I would have pointed out that he is in a union (he works on the light rail line) and gets paid twice the minimum wage because SOMEONE stood up and demanded it. Then again, if I had been less angry I probably would have ignored the initial comment that started the discussion.

If I was a little more angry I would have made a disparaging comment about how I'm sure taking tickets on the train is so, so much harder than working at McDonald's.

I have a lot to say about this, but don't have the time to type it all out. I don't agree with your customer, but I don't agree with you either.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 01, 2013, 09:55:50 pm
I got so mad that I was shaking. This man wasn't saying "the economic model of fast food chains won't support a raise," which I could understand if not agree with. But he said "if these people have no avenue to better themselves, they should take whatever we'll give them. They don't have the right to ask for more."

If I had been a little less angry maybe I would have pointed out that he is in a union (he works on the light rail line) and gets paid twice the minimum wage because SOMEONE stood up and demanded it. Then again, if I had been less angry I probably would have ignored the initial comment that started the discussion.

If I was a little more angry I would have made a disparaging comment about how I'm sure taking tickets on the train is so, so much harder than working at McDonald's.

I do agree that "the economic model of fast food chains won't support a raise" is a valid statement. If you raise the wages it will raise the prices which will effect a huge segment of the customer base including many of the people who would benefit from the raises. But what would really happen is actually spelled out in the article you linked to. "Industry officials say a $15 wage might drive many restaurants out of business and cause restaurant owners to hire fewer workers and replace some with automation — perhaps by using more computerized gadgets where customers punch in the orders themselves." This is going to happen eventually anyway. The only thing holding it back is the cost of capital improvements and the fear of customer backlash. We're just now getting used to the idea that we have to check and back our own damn groceries. But if labor pushes the issue it will happen much more quickly and poof, there goes a million jobs gone forever.

As for the guy taking tickets for the train getting a living wage. Well it's more difficult to pinpoint how this effects the bottom line. Public transportation is subsidized by the city government and is probably losing money. If McDonald's were running the trains they would eliminate his job and replace him with an automated teller, but the union and lack of money for capital improvements is probably preventing the city from taking such an action.

Bottom line is "if these people have no avenue to better themselves, they should take whatever we'll give them. They don't have the right to ask for more" is a terrible attitude, especially when you are fortunate enough to have escaped that fate despite the fact that your job requires such little skill. And I would love to see all people paid a living wage, but when you are in serious danger of losing your job to a ***** you probably shouldn't complain too loudly.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 13, 2013, 07:20:40 am
My friends are really into saying things about how if I am just doing this job to save money for grad school I can "probably" find something better. OH OKAY, POINT ME AT THAT JOB LISTING. OH WAIT, YOU HAVEN'T SPENT MANY HOURS EVERY WEEK LOOKING AT AND APPLYING TO JOB LISTINGS? WHOA, THAT'S FUNNY, BECAUSE I fuck*ng HAVE.


And I'm not talking about some bozo. I'm talking about my roommates. Who see me sitting at my desk on my day off looking at job listings.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 26, 2013, 11:39:33 am
hey, funny timing. I was talking on here yesterday about my fiction writing class. One day a girl in class asked what my favorite band was, or what a band was I played on my radio show, or something. I said Pavement. Then she wrote a story where the hipster character talked about loving Pavement, and during class she explained that Dan said no one had heard of Pavement. WHICH WASN'T WHAT SHE ASKED ME. My cool writing teacher looked at me like I was such a jackass, and the snotty guy who always tried to call me out on being a hipster said "EVERYONE HAS HEARD OF PAVEMENT."
Now, 4 years later, she just posted on my facebook wall about the time I told her no one has heard of pavement. What. Stop.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 26, 2013, 06:12:54 pm
Even I've heard of Pavement, Dan. Geez!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on August 26, 2013, 10:02:36 pm
Wow, even *I* have heard of Pavement.

What a tool that girl is.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 27, 2013, 01:56:39 am
well, you guys were considerably older than that girl when Pavement were in their heyday. Still, just so uncomfortable. People in that class were already weird and aggressive about my preferences before she did that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 08, 2013, 03:53:44 pm
This twitter guy who is a St Louis democratic partisan (this should tell you something right away-- literally only one person who is not a democrat has won an election in this city in 50 years) won't stop talking about how obviously going to Syria is wrong, but it pisses him off that Republicans are fighting Obama about it. "This is what I hate about politics."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 09, 2013, 02:29:39 am
Quote
Topic: PHONE TAKEN DONT KNOW THE LADY

I was sitting on my porch this evening around 7:45 at which time I heard a women screaming then she came up this way asked did I have a phone I called 911 then a group of boys came telling her don't call police but I did it happened around shaw store they have cameras also the police a women and man very rude I was trying to tell them about the 1 boy who was one of the phone thief s from last month I will turn it overto the captain at meeting tomorrow thanks
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 09, 2013, 08:58:04 pm
this nonsense (http://usahitman.com/microwave-test/) keeps popping up on Facebook.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 09, 2013, 10:11:59 pm
wtf, water doesn't have DNA, proteins, fats, etc. It's water.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on October 09, 2013, 10:47:28 pm
...wraps it in fat cells?
Well it sure sounds scientifikal.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 09, 2013, 11:46:01 pm
"Microwaves agitate the molecules to move faster and faster." Uh, yeah, because isn't that what happens when something gets hot?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2013, 01:46:27 am
People will literally believe anything.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 10, 2013, 03:39:31 pm
http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2013, 03:51:18 pm
That is brilliant.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 15, 2013, 03:56:27 pm
There is this guy at work who always wants to "prove" to me that he is smarter/knows more than me, even though he didn't go to college. I would be open to the possibility if he said anything that wasn't completely bonkers.

Yesterday I posted an article about pre-columbian American civilizations and he responded "I already knew this." Something about that made me laugh so hard I almost fell off the bed. You already knew what? Everything in the article?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 15, 2013, 07:18:19 pm
I just one upped him. :)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 15, 2013, 07:57:03 pm
Yeah, the Atlantic sometimes has excellent stuff. Especially Ta-Nehisi Coates. He is The Boss.

I want to say, this guy is definitely smart. But the ways he tries to prove he is smart reveal more about the chip on his shoulder than his intelligence.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 15, 2013, 08:07:30 pm
There is this guy at work who always wants to "prove" to me that he is smarter/knows more than me, even though he didn't go to college. I would be open to the possibility if he said anything that wasn't completely bonkers.

Yesterday I posted an article about pre-columbian American civilizations and he responded "I already knew this." Something about that made me laugh so hard I almost fell off the bed. You already knew what? Everything in the article?

I worked with that guy at grocery store, too. I made the mistake of telling them I was going to nerd camp for a few weeks and he spent the night drawing out the most efficient way to get around the store. Then he posted out his maps on the back of the cardboard display blocking off our work area.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 25, 2013, 04:11:55 pm
People fainting at Obama speeches, is that the best you've got crazy republicans? I just thought this (http://gopthedailydose.com/2013/10/22/obamas-staged-fainting-act-exposed/) was hilarious.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 30, 2013, 12:35:18 am
This group of girls I am friends with posted this article (http://mag.newsweek.com/2013/10/25/witches-brooklyn-williamsburg.html) and are all talking about it and living it.

A related trend, not mentioned in the article, is guys I know saying "I don't want to live in this fuck*ng planet anymore" and "I give up on human civilization" and "shoot me into the sun, I volunteer, get me away from this fuck*ng witch thing."

The idea that this isn't just my roommate's ex and her weird friends, that queer overeducated women all over the country are into this weird bullshit, is just too much for me to handle. I can't take it.

I want to say something about how post-colonial theory and postmodernism have poisoned their brains until they are incapable of discerning actually valid thoughts or opinions from brainless ancient cultural detritus, but, that is maybe not exactly what I mean.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 30, 2013, 12:54:30 am
Is anyone really taking it seriously? That front page article seems to lay this out as something bored young people are doing to add theatrics to their lives. Like a LARP for hipster girls.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 30, 2013, 01:23:57 am
it is like that, probably. But like, I don't hang out with LARP dudes who talk about their characters and wear LARP gear all the time, why would I want to be around "Witch LARP" girls who talk about candles and seances all the time.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 30, 2013, 01:41:20 am
Quote from: Article
You have all these people who are disillusioned with big institutions – religions, corporations, big money – who want to connect to a larger meaning

They are looking for somebody different to lie to them.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on October 30, 2013, 03:59:13 am
it is like that, probably. But like, I don't hang out with LARP dudes who talk about their characters and wear LARP gear all the time, why would I want to be around "Witch LARP" girls who talk about candles and seances all the time.

Same reason we want to be around all the girls?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on October 30, 2013, 06:28:01 am
Doc is all, bone! Bone! Bone! Bone!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 30, 2013, 10:24:08 pm
I want to say something about how post-colonial theory and postmodernism have poisoned their brains until they are incapable of discerning actually valid thoughts or opinions from brainless ancient cultural detritus, but, that is maybe not exactly what I mean.

When I took this photo last week I didn't know it was a thing.

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3759/10499443883_4eddcbc142_c.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 04, 2013, 10:15:03 pm
This article about marraige (http://sethadamsmith.com/2013/11/02/marriage-isnt-for-you/) has been making the rounds lately.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 07, 2013, 03:54:51 am
"Dan and Derek! You guys are my second favorite pair of double D's!"
"ok"
...
"my wife has double d's."
...
"ok, see you guys later."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 07, 2013, 04:49:52 am
They guy has a wife with super big titties. He's justifiably proud.  ;D
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 07, 2013, 02:56:48 pm
I wonder how long he was practicing that and how he had visualized that working out.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 08, 2013, 06:21:06 pm
high fives all around. So glad your wife has rockin' breasts dude.

Someone on my neighborhood mailing list sent us this, advertising his product. I can't believe that something that looks like this was made in 2013.

(https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=26336995b3&view=att&th=14238809075a6e03&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9Sgv-yzsVIl0aHeqlxAi0y&sadet=1383934709470&sads=HHeIMlIL9-SADfSDQNy3Ys13Ais)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on November 09, 2013, 10:36:30 pm
My BF was upset that her FB is full of people sharing posts telling mothers to get off their smart phones.  My FB contains none of that, so I'm glad my friends aren't holier-than-thou assholes.  Also I've always found it interesting that my BF and I have basically no friends in common and that her friends are apparently those kind of people.  I've been to parties she hosts and there are a few good people and a bunch of those kind of people.  What is up with that?  She is far more up for social niceties and suffering fools I guess.
 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2013, 12:39:05 am
My BF was upset that her FB is full of people sharing posts telling mothers to get off their smart phones

...typed by moms on their smartphones?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2013, 08:30:05 pm
My BF

Is this the woman I thought you dropped from your life because she's selgiraffe and was being as ass while you were pregnant?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 11, 2013, 02:22:59 pm
An interesting one I saw the other day was "I am quite sure I wouldn't be alive if I'd talked to my parents the way some kids talk to their parents these days. Share if you agree!"

That seems to be not-so-subtly advocating corporal punishment for unruly children. But if I smacked my kid in public, no matter what the offense, the same people on Facebook would be saying what a bad parent I am and that my kids should be taken away from me (especially if there was a video to go with it).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 11, 2013, 06:43:47 pm
why? (http://youtu.be/4u2ZsoYWwJA)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 11, 2013, 10:21:31 pm
Quote
"I am quite sure I wouldn't be alive if I'd talked to my parents the way some kids talk to their parents these days. Share if you agree!"

At one point my sister screamed at my parents extensively about how much she hated them on a fairly regular basis. My mom was really upset and couldn't believe a teenager would do that. She called her mom, who said "LOL, you don't remember doing that?"

This is completely unreasonable and hypocritical, but when people talk about wanting parents to beat their children, I fantasize about going at that person with a baseball bat. Or a can of tomatoes, if I'm at work (which is where this usually happens).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 11, 2013, 10:49:36 pm
This falls under the prevailing belief that every subsequent generation is dumber, lazier, ruder, and generally worse human beings than the previous generation. We know this is true because as we look backward in time we see how people get smarter, more efficient, more peaceful, and treat other better with each preceding generation, right?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 12, 2013, 12:39:07 am
This comic strip seems somewhat relevant here.
Stop Trashing Millenials. (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/09/opinion/bors-millenial-comic-strip/)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on November 12, 2013, 01:32:38 am
Is this the woman I thought you dropped from your life because she's selgiraffe and was being as ass while you were pregnant?

Yeah, that's her.  Things have gotten better, but she's got her issues.  We laugh more and she's supportive now that the baby's here, but we're both very compartmentalized as friends and always have been - she's not a part of any other part of my life and vice versa, our husbands are basically strangers to each other, and the company we keep is quite different.  We had an odd disagreement where she responded condescendingly when I said I wasn't going to be showing our baby TV, something along the lines of "we'll see about that."  Afterword she said she wanted to give me her Baby Einstien DVD's -- as if she hasn't heard me -- and I had to say no twice.  Even still, she said she'd keep them for me, which I sort of laughed off, making clear that she should give them to someone else.  It's not only her - I've encountered more than one women who makes the mistake of assuming that when I make a parenting choice conflicting to their own that it is somehow a slight to them or a negative judgement on them.  It's one of the things I've decided to basically ignore in other moms because what it boils down to is poor self esteem on the other person's part, and that's their shit to deal with.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on November 12, 2013, 02:12:17 am
The older I get, the more I think that any generalization about any group of people is invalid.  I think it's a basic human right to be judged as an individual and based on our actions rather than any inborn characteristics.

Or, you know, whatever.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 12, 2013, 04:13:42 am
I ran into my favorite alderman at a party and we talked about what we are up to. He told me applying to grad school is a stupid waste of time. Then said, "wait, for what? urban planning? actually, yeah, that one is a good idea. all the jobs I apply to say I need a master's in urban planning. What do they teach you? just like, how many cars fit on a road and stuff?"

I really like that. I just want to know how many cars can fit on a road.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on November 12, 2013, 07:14:10 am
It is a question for the ages.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 12, 2013, 05:02:02 pm
There needs to be more education on that precise question down and out here because some motherfuckers have been getting that shit seriously wrong for a long while now.

We have the same issue here in Houston, but I've driven in LA and seriously, it's a fuck*ng nightmare. But the problem isn't that they can't figure it out, it's just that by the time they get the roads built another million assholes have moved into the city.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 12, 2013, 07:00:02 pm
My experience with driving in LA is different than anywhere else. When traffic is moving, its going 80+mph and every car is inches away from catastrophic collision on all 4 sides. Oh and those one-car red light/green lights at the on ramps, making no bones about the fact you are about to launch onto the racetrack.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 12, 2013, 08:46:02 pm
I dunno, Inev, maybe that job is more dangerous than you expect.
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/20774/ron-kirby-dc-regions-top-transportation-planner-murdered/ (http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/20774/ron-kirby-dc-regions-top-transportation-planner-murdered/)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 13, 2013, 04:29:32 am
(https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1458634_10201305774100992_925357680_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: lprkn on November 14, 2013, 06:27:24 am
Sometimes I wonder if some of the tinfoil hat brigade are actually ringers from the other side of the spectrum trying to kneecap the side they're ostensibly on.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 14, 2013, 07:10:05 am
It's true though, One World Trade Center does look much more like a Muslim Islamic minaret that it does one of those Christian Islamic minarets.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on November 14, 2013, 11:18:08 am
I mean I assume the minaret was cheaper. Probably because it was privately funded by a small group of religiously minded citizens. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 14, 2013, 02:42:59 pm
"News" link posted by one of my more loopy FB friends: "Obama Gives Muslim Nation $195,000,000 For Muslim Holiday"

Yes. Never mind that it would be political suicide, and that the President can't unilaterally give 200 million dollars to some private organization. But sure, this happened because Obama hates America.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on November 14, 2013, 10:38:49 pm
It's true though, One World Trade Center does look much more like a Muslim Islamic minaret that it does one of those Christian Islamic minarets.
It also looks like a space age dong.  Maybe it was funded by the porn industry.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 21, 2013, 08:42:58 pm
(https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1450820_10202403210978534_185944221_n.jpg)

I came so very close to replying "Maybe it's because a woman isn't likely to become instantly more receptive to the idea of sleeping with you if you buy her a book." but wisely chose not to.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on November 21, 2013, 08:43:41 pm
Depends on the book.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 21, 2013, 09:09:04 pm
Here is one that's going around: http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/20-things-the-rich-do-every-day

I call bullshit on some of these, and sure would like more information on how this survey was conducted. Only 6% of "wealthy" people watch reality TV? Or only 6% admit to it? How do you determine who "believes in life-long educational self-improvement?" Did 95% percent of poor people surveyed actually say they don't "believe" in that?

The comments, of course, take it all at face value, and assume that people are rich or poor because they do or do not do these things, not that people do or do not do these things because they are rich or poor. What's cause and what's effect, that's the big question.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 21, 2013, 10:50:07 pm
How are we defining rich and poor? I know some plutacratically wealthy people and they are some of the dumbest most eccentric people I've ever met. They seem to spend a lot of time doing odd things we would all do if we stopped giving a fuck. I also know "poor" people who are perfectly aware of their own limitations and decided around the age of 17 that they were just going to be plumbers, welders, and mechanics. This list here is describing people who know how to manage their time more effectively than most people and consequentially have higher incomes.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 22, 2013, 06:22:37 am
There are few different strains of this going around. X no. of things happy people, depressed people, etc. I haven't read any of them until now. I've gotten better and not clicking on dumb shit like this. At least I'm ahead of the game right now. Ha ha. What will they come up with next to trick me into clicking on some bullshit?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 22, 2013, 08:22:39 pm
This goes in the Shit my _____ says, but it's also a candidate for the Upworthy thread because the headline was "These Strangers Became Friends in just Minutes. You Won't Believe What Made Them Do It." It's a video of people sitting in a ball pit (http://www.faithit.com/ball-pit-turns-strangers-into-friends/). It's actually been around for awhile, I saw it for the first time at least a year ago, but it's currently making the rounds among my Facebook friends.

So, I can't find any snopes like verification of my suspicions, but this is totally fake, right? There are a few things that have alerted my bullshit detector, but I'd like to hear from you before I enumerate them.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on November 23, 2013, 12:50:40 am
My memories of ball pits always include a hint of urine scent.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 23, 2013, 01:29:25 am
I've had a half assed ball pit in my apartment- people like it a lot.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 23, 2013, 03:05:29 am
Yeah, lagging behind growth is a problem too. But I am damn near a moron and I spend this time every year forecasting my groups facility, hardware and headcount needs one to three years out for budget planning and consistently come within 10%.

I'd figure someone with actual education, training and more functioning grey matter could handle charting demographics and population growth and matching them to travel patterns and then apply that to project planning and completion timelines.

fuck*ng A, Inev, get that goddam degree and come out here, I think I've ID'd a need for you to fill.
At some point don't you just run out of places to put wide swaths of pavement? I would think that anywhere as decentralized and heavily populated as Southern California would have this issue.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 23, 2013, 05:16:54 pm
Ball pit related memory: We were at chuckee cheese and the birthday boy started bleeding from his ears.
ACap: Lance, you are bleeding out of your head. Where your brain is.
Lance: So what am I supposed to do about it?
ACap: Stop playing in the ball pit. Kenny's mom is giving out quarters by the arcade. Go play games.

I've had a half assed ball pit in my apartment- people like it a lot.
(http://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/307_505080073865_2474_n.jpg)

That pit there in the picture was outside my room. The day after we blew it up the dean of students was walking his dog and passed the dorm and found too many explosives. He told us to clean up the mess in the pit so we came up with idea of laying a giant tarp in the pit, covering that drain there. Then we turned on all the sinks in the upstairs room and funneled all the water into the pit. We then had a pool instead of a pit. The campus cops got hip to this and told us we weren't allowed to re-engineer campus property. The wording there is intentionally vague. When they came by to stop our pit pool they also found out we had built lofts in our rooms (making them a sort of duplex). They also found out we had vacated one of the rooms and turned it into a bar. These were the halcyon days of the think tank for deadly sins.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 23, 2013, 05:38:55 pm
it is fitting that the guy who is me and a-cap's mutual acquaintance moved to NYC to pretend to be Mad Men full time. But without the women or clothes or class, he just writes about cigars and smokes them in his office.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 23, 2013, 07:09:05 pm
He wanted to be part of our group so bad. He was always forcing himself on us and would end up doing humiliating things. We tolerated him, but then he tried to convince my girlfriend that he was some kind of pornographer/model agent and invited her over for a photo shoot. She declined and told me to get him to stop making disgusting advances.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on November 23, 2013, 08:01:25 pm
the dean of students...l found too many explosives.

This implies that there was an acceptable amount of explosives that would have been tolerated, but you unfortunately exceeded that amount.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 23, 2013, 11:47:30 pm
We have had very similar experiences with that man.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 02, 2013, 05:23:28 am
Girl whose parents are not-well-off but her aunt and uncle pay for her to go to college at one of the most expensive schools in the nation posting on FB about the struggle of going to a fancy college as a "poor person."

her aunt and uncle also mail her gift cards for clothes whenever they see photos online of her in thrift store stuff. she exchanges the gift cards for cash.

she has a brand-new kitchenaid mixer because the used one her roommate's mom offered them didn't match the other kitchen appliances. so she insisted that they buy a new one.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on December 03, 2013, 06:01:40 am
her aunt and uncle also mail her gift cards for clothes whenever they see photos online of her in thrift store stuff. she exchanges the gift cards for cash.
This is like the upper middle class variation of food stamp fraud.  Presumably the exchange is for less than the face value of the gift card. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 03, 2013, 03:46:38 pm
Girl whose parents are not-well-off but her aunt and uncle pay for her to go to college at one of the most expensive schools in the nation posting on FB about the struggle of going to a fancy college as a "poor person."
Please refer her to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobst_Boy
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 05, 2013, 04:54:31 pm
"Best advice I've used lately from my Daddy, _______... "Let your fingers do the walkin'" I called all over this morning, and found RC the dirt bike he wants... YAY!"

This is not really all that dumb, but I does make me shake my head that an advertising slogan from the 1960s for the Yellow Pages now passes for sage advice from an elder. I'm guessing that the daughter has never heard that slogan and thought that her father was both helpful and witty.

What could some other examples of this be?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 05, 2013, 05:00:48 pm
We're writing our own short stories. Don't think of this as a novel where the protagonist has a single arc. Think of this as a collection. Stephen King brings back cameos, but they aren't plot movers. - ACAP
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 12, 2013, 02:07:51 pm
The War on Christmas has begun!!!
(https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/q71/1425746_599030983501127_949160796_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on December 12, 2013, 06:24:46 pm
We're only 73% Christian. Pluralism counts.  Besides, the only people who can't say "Merry Christmas" by law are government employees in the functions of their job.  Like public school teachers.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 12, 2013, 08:39:41 pm
We're only 73% Christian. Pluralism counts.  Besides, the only people who can't say "Merry Christmas" by law are government employees in the functions of their job.  Like public school teachers.

You seriously don't think these figures mean anything to someone dumb enough to post that picture on Facebook do you? No, I think David Cross (http://youtu.be/HXM3z-Omhzg) said it best.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on December 12, 2013, 09:26:06 pm
No.  People find it more comfortable to live in the legendary world they create for themselves than in the real one we all share.  Unfortunately, their votes count in real elections however.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 13, 2013, 05:07:19 am
i think the 'war on christmas' is pretty much more of a dronestrike on scapegoats. but then again, this opinion ain't too radical, really.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: dejavroom on December 13, 2013, 11:00:26 am
"'Only' 73%". This qualifier kills me.

But moving on, I never contributed to this thread so this is something my biological grandfather (already passed away and whom I only saw this one time in my life) said at the breakfast table: "Had a bad dream last night, dreamt with chckens. They say it's a bad dream to have, but at least it wasn't niggers."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on December 13, 2013, 06:15:10 pm
Those who are dumb enough to post that pic on Facebook sincerely believe that everyone in America is Christian.  Except for the Jews who control the mass media, and therefore make saying "Merry Christmas" illegal.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 13, 2013, 06:22:55 pm
Those who are dumb enough to post that pic on Facebook sincerely believe that everyone in America is Christian.  Except for the Jews who control the mass media, and therefore make saying "Merry Christmas" illegal.

And of course the Muslims who hate us for our freedoms.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 13, 2013, 06:45:32 pm
Buddhists! Buddhists don't cause much trouble!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on December 13, 2013, 08:57:54 pm
Jah love, bred'ren
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 13, 2013, 11:09:44 pm
Too much isms and schisms, ohhhh my children
Too much isms and schisms



And yeah...Rastas will fuck you up man.


Edit:  and they do hate you!   (And probably me!)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 14, 2013, 12:30:28 am
I am looking over this research paper I am using as a writing sample for grad school, and found this awful sentiment
Quote
I posted on an unrelated internet forum (www.touamb.com) of which I am a long-term member,
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on December 14, 2013, 08:30:32 pm
Fuck. Reality

That fuck*ng guy.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 16, 2013, 05:24:05 pm
Too much isms and schisms, ohhhh my children
Too much isms and schisms



And yeah...Rastas will fuck you up man.


Edit:  and they do hate you!   (And probably me!)

Yeah ash, I'm pretty sure modern Rastafarianism grew out of a reaction to slavery and a belief that africans should take over the world - and not necessarily peacefully.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 16, 2013, 10:59:18 pm
One step forward, don't step backwards, step outta Babylon.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 17, 2013, 12:55:09 am
"I can watch the notebook over and over and over again and it never gets old."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 17, 2013, 01:58:39 am
(https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1458598_10152094785121178_596015732_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 17, 2013, 03:33:05 am
Yeah, thank god all those peaceful, pot-smokin' 17-year-olds co-opted it

...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 17, 2013, 04:20:31 am
OH NO, I WANTED A HOLIDAY TREE TO CELEBRATE MY NON-CHRISTIAN HOLIDAY, FOR SOME REASON
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 17, 2013, 07:10:32 am
(https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1458598_10152094785121178_596015732_n.jpg)

That sign is clearly photoshopped which lessens it's impact I think. It would mean more, and maybe even be slightly amusing if it were an actual business owner trolling the public, but it's actually just some asshole trolling Facebook.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on December 17, 2013, 01:45:07 pm
Poorly photoshopped at that. I mean, at least make an effort.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 18, 2013, 08:04:37 pm
Written under a photo of a $20 bill.

"***A MUST READ **** A well-known speaker started off his seminar holding up a $20.00 bill. In the room of 200, he asked, "Who would like this $20 bill?" Hands started going up. He said, "I am going to give this $20 to one of you but first, let me do this." He proceeded to crumple up the $20 dollar bill. He then asked, "Who still wants it...?" Still the hands were up in the air. "Well," he replied, "What if I do this?" And he dropped it on the ground and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe. He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty. "Now, who still wants it?" Still the hands went into the air. "My friends, we have all learned a very valuable lesson. No matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $20. Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that come our way. We may feel as though we are worthless. But no matter what has happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value. Dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are still priceless to those who DO LOVE you. The worth of our lives comes not in what we do or who we know, but by WHO WE ARE. You are special-Don't EVER forget it." If you do not pass this on, you may never know the lives it touches, the hurting hearts it speaks to, or the hope that it may bring. Count your blessings, not your problems."

My response.

"The thing is though, we are not like a $20 bill. If you crumple us and throw us to the ground it can cause irreparable damage. We are more like a slice of toast that gets dropped. If we land butter side up you're gonna pick us up, brush off the dust and eat us anyway. If we land butter side down you're probably gonna just let the dog eat us. No, that's not quite right either. Okay, we're more like a red rubber ball that can bounce tremendously high. Sometimes though we wind up bouncing behind the sofa and get forgotten about. Hmm... Let me try this one more time. Wait, where are you going...?"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 18, 2013, 09:26:27 pm
Also a $20 bill never says or does things to you to the point where you avoid $20 bills for the rest of your life and just take 2 10s or 4 5s.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 18, 2013, 11:14:46 pm
You can cause damage to a person, but that does not make them worth less as a human. I think that is a good analogy even if it is incredibly corny and coming from "a well-known speaker."

this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BfOQnv7-hI) touches on this.
Quote
Then how do people get better? (Hmmmm...) well, from my understanding people get better when they start to understand that they are valuable. and they not valuable because they got a whole lot of money, or cause somebody, think they sexy, but they valuable cause they been created by God.

I don't think it is because of God, but I do think that all humans have an inherent value which you cannot destroy.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 20, 2013, 01:25:32 am
Duck Dynasty fans do not understand how the first amendment works.

edit:

Apparently Neither do Sarah Palin and Bobby Jindal (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/duck-dynasty-patriarch-phil-robertson-receives-support-from-sarah-palin-louisiana-governor/).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 20, 2013, 04:13:03 am
I'm back to my Happy Happy Happy place. I realized this whole thing is a great opportunity to unfollow some Facebook friends.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 21, 2013, 06:37:53 pm
I'm back to my Happy Happy Happy place. I realized this whole thing is a great opportunity to unfollow some Facebook friends.

Hey, this new litmus Phil Robertson litmus test is working out pretty good. Came upon this little gem just before hitting the unfriend button.
(https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/1471751_638762319519951_626897946_n.png)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 21, 2013, 06:47:05 pm
The best part about the ducky dynasty fiasco was how they explained it was all a scripted show with contrived characters.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 22, 2013, 12:21:09 am
This woman was buying a homeless guy coffee:

"So, um, I guess you live downtown?"
"yeah, I live in a loft on Washington Avenue"
"oh, geez, that must be... expensive?"
"my rent is $1500 a month."

Yikes.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 22, 2013, 05:57:35 am
Today a customer saw me in Saks 5th Avenue. I said hi, and she asked "what are you doing here?"
"oh, I came to the mall to get a present for my mom. Haha, not in Saks."
"I know! You totally don't make enough money to shop here, right??"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 22, 2013, 08:16:58 pm
I woke up to a note from my roommates saying "sorry Dan, we broke a bunch of glasses last night and were too drunk to clean it up. Wear shoes in the kitchen if you get this before we wake up."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 22, 2013, 08:54:44 pm
When my parents visited recently we saw a car pulled up onto a hill overlooking an exit ramp where there had been an accident, and my mom said "oh, there's a looky-loo!" I had never heard this before, but now every time I go past that hill I remember that phrase.

I also always have the thought that that little wooded hill, surrounded by highway, would be an exciting place to bone.

GUYS I'M TRYING, COME ON! I CAN'T RUN THE WHOLE BOARD ALONE.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 22, 2013, 10:08:23 pm
So they were too drunk to operate a broom and dustpan, but they were sober enough to write a note with instructions?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on December 22, 2013, 10:14:57 pm

GUYS I'M TRYING, COME ON! I CAN'T RUN THE WHOLE BOARD ALONE.

Dude, have some dignity.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 23, 2013, 02:23:19 pm
"I know! You totally don't make enough money to shop here, right??"

Did you punch her in the face?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2013, 05:28:43 am
Apparently it Didn't snow on the Pyramids for the first time in 112 years (http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-more-b.s.-viral-stories-that-all-your-friends-believed/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage). I kept seeing this pics showing up and that headline, but I didn't find it interesting enough or didn't want to read depressing comments from people who don't believe in Global warning or something, but I never even questioned it in my mind. So thanks Cracked for setting me straight on that one that got by me.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on December 24, 2013, 02:03:24 pm
You know what's really sad about that? There were so many cool real photos people could have been passing around instead. Like the people who never get to build snowmen taking full advantage of the situation:
(http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2924297.ece/ALTERNATES/s2197/Snow-in-the-Middle-East-2924297.jpg)


(yes, apparently I have nothing better to do today than follow all the links in that article.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 24, 2013, 05:08:50 pm
ACAP: Oh dear god I need to spend the next two days with my family. Why can't it be a tradition to spend holidays with friends your own age?
Housemate: That holiday is called the weekend.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 24, 2013, 05:40:16 pm
And also "New Years."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 24, 2013, 07:04:39 pm
And also Christmas? 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 24, 2013, 07:26:39 pm
 The family is having dinner at noon because my aunt needs a couple hours to put clothes on for work at 4. Mom and I have a bail plan to see The Wolf of Wall Street. The movie is based on the same man as Boiler Room. I know Mr.Belfort and I know his scheme. Boiler Room is the movie that changed my life.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 26, 2013, 02:26:59 am
I have an ultra-religious cousin who doesn't believe in birth control, but that doesn't stop him from sleeping with his wife. They had 14 kids pictured in the Christmas card. My grandpa's comment on the matter was "He hangs his ##### on the bed post"
What? Is there a double meaning I'm missing?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on December 26, 2013, 03:51:03 am
dude's gotten laid AT LEAST fourteen times

(it's a pu$$y not a clown car)  (sorry)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 27, 2013, 02:50:27 am
I had to live with those freaks while my mom attended a conference in DC about medical devises. My only memory was not getting to wash my undies when I wanted to and not getting milk for my cereal (milk is way too expensive when you have over a dozen kids).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 27, 2013, 04:44:14 pm
(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7448/11586861874_b288f5d36a_o.jpg)

I don't guess that's too readable. If not Click Here (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7448/11586861874_b288f5d36a_o.jpg).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 27, 2013, 10:32:56 pm
Nice one. Apparently it's incumbent on you to prove a negative.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 28, 2013, 01:00:30 am
I could attempt to explain it to you, but I'm certain you wouldn't understand.

(https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/q71/1524950_10152111426714767_511122569_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 28, 2013, 08:19:06 pm
I can explain it for you in one word: Drugs.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 29, 2013, 12:33:20 am
I can explain it for you in one word: Drugs.

Well yes, that explains why they think it's true, certainly.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 29, 2013, 02:28:28 am
There's a story circulating about a Athiest coming to the rescue of a family after being turned away by Christians (http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/12/28/atheists-save-christmas-for-a-poor-family-after-their-church-refused-to-help-them/).

This story pisses me off because it is misrepresenting the facts so badly. But so many of my left leaning atheist friends are posting it on Facebook with comments which all amount to so much as 'see I told you so.'

Clearly there was a misunderstanding at the Church, but given the fact that they have since bent over backwards to try and make things right is at least some indication of their intent. And as for the atheist saving the day. if this is not a case of opportunism masked as altruism with the sole purpose of making this church look bad then I don't know what is. It should be noted that he Church was set up to help many families and the Atheist only helped one.

Perhaps the headline should read "Atheist use case of incident involving an overly sensitive woman and uptight Church volunteers to make Christianity look bad."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 29, 2013, 12:02:28 pm
But if you are happy with the amount of drugs you have you will run out of drugs.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 06, 2014, 07:48:06 pm
(https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1528588_10153657210510431_351621566_n.png)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 06, 2014, 09:34:06 pm
He's also the all-time leader in being hit by pitches.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 06, 2014, 11:24:31 pm
He's also the all-time leader in being hit by pitches.

That stat is on there. What's not is his RBI's. Sure, he got more hits that Babe Ruth (not an apples to apples comparison by any measure), but he had half the RBI's. So I guess he was really good at getting hits when nobody was on base.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 06, 2014, 11:25:32 pm
Someone needs to tell the Astros to Hove some dignity.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on January 06, 2014, 11:38:19 pm
So I guess he was really good at getting hits when nobody was on base.
That is kind of interesting, isn't it?  When a pitcher has to throw from the stretch because he's trying to keep baserunners honest, you would think that helps the batter.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 07, 2014, 01:53:23 pm
Well, he hit leadoff a lot, didn't he? That means it was his job to get on base so other people could drive him in. If he's coming up after the 8-9 hitters he probably didn't get as many chances with guys on base.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2014, 02:15:11 pm
Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm ok with that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 07, 2014, 02:17:00 pm
WHOO! SPORTS! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImKYfoQayhc)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 07, 2014, 06:26:52 pm
That stat is on there. What's not is his RBI's. Sure, he got more hits that Babe Ruth (not an apples to apples comparison by any measure), but he had half the RBI's. So I guess he was really good at getting hits when nobody was on base.
Wait, you guys are crapping on Craig Biggio? Why come?

--So I guess he was really good at getting hits when nobody was on base.
He was better with runners on .273/.353/.435 with bases empty. .296/.381/.430 with runners on. As Carlos mentioned, he hit leadoff a lot (6979 of his almost 10876 ABs were from the number 1 spot in the order). And, while he had respectable power, his game was mostly about getting on base.

--(plus a big fat playoff wad shooting loser, .234 AVG/54 OPS+)
185 plate appearances. Small sample size blues.

--(plus Enron/Minutemaid field conflated his stats for his declining last eight years and kept him in the game long enough to accrue the fancy counting stats. His OPS+ for those last eight years is a sub-average 95. Up to his age 33 year he was an exceptional 124 OPS+ player. In his last eight years he maxed at 3.2 WAR and averaged 1.1 WAR. He was a piss-poor player for eight full seasons, kept in the game by a weird and favourable home stadium and stupid assed Killer B sentimentality. )

OPS is a kind of lousy stat because it places SLG on equal terms with OBP, when OBP is far more important. His RC+ was average or above average for 5 of his last 8 years, and that accounts for park factor. According to fWAR, his overall play was at or above league average for three of those last 8 years. He wasn't below replacement level (which is what would get him out of the league) until his last year. At the conclusion of which he was...out of the league. He was an above average base runner with 32 base running runs above average over his career.

His career wRC+ is 115--same as Ryne Sandberg. He had a perfectly respectable (for a HOFer) 4 year peak of 6.7 fWAR per year (1995-1998) and a monster season under his belt in 1997. He's over the 60 WAR threshold in both fWAR and rWAR. I don't see what's not to like unless you think he was a juicer or have a bias against "grindy" white guys.



Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 07, 2014, 08:40:13 pm
(also if you don't like OPS+ that's what wOBA is for)
Yes, and wRC+ is wOBA adjusted for park and league, since you were complaining that his stats were inflated by shady energy deals and orange juice. Edit: He played premium defensive positions at a mostly competent level and ran the bases well, as mentioned, so just looking at whether his wOBA or OPS were league average doesn't tell the story. A second baseman who hits 15 percent above league average for along career is a HOFer. Among second basemen with a minimum of 5500 plate appearances (roughly 10 years), he is 21st between Lou Whitaker, a guy who should be in the hall of fame, and Bobby Doerr,
a hall of famer whose wRC+ is slightly worse despite not having nearly as long of a career.

Bobby Grich should be in the hall of fame as well.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 07, 2014, 09:25:43 pm
Heck, his home/road splits say the first one.
I don't think that's the way home/road splits work. Most players play better at home. Road splits =! true talent level. Take Matt Holliday. Everyone thought he'd be mediocre once he was away from Coors because of his home/road splits, but he's hit almost as well at Busch, one of the least friendly offensive environments.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 07, 2014, 10:35:28 pm
That flagpole pisses me off so bad.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 07, 2014, 11:34:37 pm
Any time I have a longer conversation with a customer I liked, they either end up being endlessly awesome, or completely awful. Never "huh, I guess that was about what I expected."

The people who go out of their way to compliment me/my drinks/my behavior more than once are always assholes. Always. They like me because I bend over backwards to make them happy. They are friendly to me because I give them what they want. The second something doesn't go their way they turn on me like a fuck*ng wild dog.

This one lady, though, her name is literally Joy. Every time I talk to her it brightens my day. She has adorable kids and always sticks around the extra thirty seconds to make chit-chat. And she is hilarious. I never know how to tell people like this how much I appreciate them without going overboard. I don't need every customer (or even most) to have this kind of interaction with me, but every once in a while it happens and makes my whole day better.

I am an over-emoter.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on January 07, 2014, 11:58:32 pm
Just smile at her and say, "It was nice to see you today, Joy".
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 08, 2014, 12:25:51 am
Right, but I'm looking at the disparity between his home and road splits versus the standard deviation. What I'm saying is he was better at home than average and worse on the road. My explanation for that is comfort and that shit-damn-hole of a bandbox he got for a home field.

They can sit on that damn flag pole in center while they're at it.
And I'm saying he's just one of many players who hits better at home regardless of the park. He never played for another team to prove this, but looky here:
10876 career ABs
Minute Maid (2340 ABs): .285/.353/.466
Astrodome (3141 ABs): .291/.383/.430



Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2014, 02:43:25 am
I don't know why exactly I'm not more in Biggio's corner. He's got great numbers, maybe not HOF numbers, but whatever and he spent his entire career on one team which is something I really admire. I'm into continuity like that. I guess part of it is because so many people around here just assume it's a done deal that he's a dead lock cinch and I have to shake my head. He also played a most of his career during the years when I would have nothing to do with Major League Baseball because they canceled the World Series. That event rendered it impossible for me to give a fuuuuck about anyone that plays professional sports.

While we're on the subject of not giving a fuck, as far as I'm concerned the home run records still belong to Hank Aaron and Roger Maris. Fuck Barry Bonds, Fuck Mark McGuire, Fuck Sammy Sosa. How can those stats matter anymore when the players were juiced, and the ball was juiced too? I've heard it said that juicing the ball was designed to up the numbers and is credited with "saving the game" after the strike, but it's just driven me further away. Factor into that all of these ridiculous retro stadiums every team (with a few exceptions) plays in and I can't see how it'll be possible for me to ever give a fuck about MLB again.

From now on I'm a Skeeters (http://www.sugarlandskeeters.com/Home/) fan.

PS- There will never be another Nolan Ryan.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2014, 01:23:36 pm
Someone who gives a fuck about the thread title should split off all this baseball stuff.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on January 08, 2014, 02:18:19 pm
yo wombles it's your forum what with bozack gone for so long and nobody likes steppin on toes
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2014, 03:07:23 pm
I'm done ranting on the subject so I think it'll be okay. But c'mon, that was some quality venting.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 08, 2014, 07:10:51 pm
Biggio missed by two votes. I blame Paul.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on January 08, 2014, 11:23:38 pm
(https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzVdzG0kmUEhENqcjhCElzszglgFn_629lI-HloFZvEsTP9kpaog)
You were King Kong, right?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 15, 2014, 02:35:50 am
Shit my PAM does!

(https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHRjp3fbIeqgpPq40GqB8FAsK1-BYsAD4ng36pC679wb00KwZ5)

So glad my TV dream girl is back in a new season.

ill fight you for her.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on January 15, 2014, 03:31:09 am
get in line, newb
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on January 15, 2014, 04:35:01 pm
i skipped chozen, figured i'd give it a couple weeks and watch a few in a row before i decide whether to add it to my lineup.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on January 15, 2014, 05:17:51 pm
I watched Archer last night and saw the ads for Chozen so I've already missed the first airing. This is the first comment I've heard on it's quality but I might give it a shot.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on January 15, 2014, 06:12:01 pm
oh shit i forgot to schedule it for the dvr, so now i'll have to watch it ondemand with commercials after i tape next week's.

fx has the shittiest ondemand policy of any network. "did you miss last week's episode? oh well, watch this week's tonight and you can catch up tomorrow"

for everything they do right, they do something wrong. for every louie, there's an anger management. for every archer, there's a legit. i think they're just lucky that the good half of what they do is SO DAMN GOOD.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on January 15, 2014, 06:33:56 pm
oh shit i forgot to schedule it for the dvr, so now i'll have to watch it ondemand with commercials after i tape next week's.

fx has the shittiest ondemand policy of any network. "did you miss last week's episode? oh well, watch this week's tonight and you can catch up tomorrow"

for everything they do right, they do something wrong. for every louie, there's an anger management. for every archer, there's a legit. i think they're just lucky that the good half of what they do is SO DAMN GOOD.

I heard that since NBC poached most of Fox Soccer Channel's content they're turning FSC into FXX. I think that channel will show "classic" FX content and maybe encores of the current stuff. I read that like a year ago though so the info or my memory could be out of date.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on January 15, 2014, 06:46:23 pm
yeah that's not quite right. fox soccer has already become FXX, which is demo-marketed at 18-34, as opposed to FX, aimed at 18-49. the "edgier" or "younger" shows go there, like always sunny and the league. the bigger and broader shows (archer, louie) stay on FX, and then FXM is just movies. as if there aren't enough channels airing bad movies edited for content, time, and aspect ratio like every hour of the goddamned day.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on January 16, 2014, 12:31:34 am
also: the missus is mad they're slimming pam down this season. an interview with adam reed makes me not worry so much about it. i think by the end of this season the status is gonna get back to quo on that front
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on January 16, 2014, 01:41:34 am
it's in the montage after they reveal the metaphorical elephant. rewatch with focus, you'll notice
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on January 16, 2014, 01:26:28 pm
I'm guessing amphetamines.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 16, 2014, 11:56:45 pm
Sorry to steer this conversation back on topic, but I have a new complaint.

Dear person who repeatedly writes "we need more likes" on their Facebook page. The only people who will see it have already liked your page. Also, stop begging, people will like it if they like it. Add some interesting content to your page, that usually helps. Try a picture of a cat perhaps. Finally, I no longer like your page, goodbye.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 17, 2014, 02:32:10 pm
God, that's the worst. There's one semi-popular Nats blogger who also tweets, and EVERY ONE of his tweets have "RT, credit me, follow," etc. and it's just pathetic.

But then, he's got almost 1000 followers, and I've got like 90, so there's that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on January 17, 2014, 04:07:27 pm
Some study of social media that I read said that statistically the best way to get retweets is to say "Please RT."  I also find this annoying but apparently you and I are in the minority.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 17, 2014, 04:14:35 pm
Asking for a retweet is different than begging for likes. If someone retweets something it's going to reach new people. Begging like that is annoying yes, but no doubt effective.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on January 17, 2014, 04:29:34 pm
Yeah, if begging for likes is useful I don't get how it works. Except that there is this feature where you can invite friends to like a page. But does anyone do that, except for their own pages? I dunno.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 17, 2014, 05:18:57 pm
Yeah, if begging for likes is useful I don't get how it works. Except that there is this feature where you can invite friends to like a page. But does anyone do that, except for their own pages? I dunno.

If you beg your friends to like or share something generally they will do it because why not. It takes almost no time and cost nothing.

Begging for likes will get your friends to like your page. If you beg for likes on the actual page the only friends who will see it are friends who have already liked it. That's my beef in this particular case. Asking someone to retweet a post or to share a post if it's Facebook will expose the post to new people, who if they like your content will in turn also like your page.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 17, 2014, 05:37:52 pm
I guess inviting your friends to like a page is like saying, "Check out this band/author/cause that I think is good." Personally, I'd much rather link to a specific MP3/video, or provide a personal story as to why I think this thing is cool or important or whatever, rather than just having FB *****ically spam my friends.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 25, 2014, 06:43:59 pm
New sticker at work says
Quote
"Please" 5'S your register?

"5-S" is a company organization thing. Supply Something Something Something Something. The apostrophe makes me feel pain.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 26, 2014, 09:00:43 pm
Just read a great article about Facebook (http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20140124/COLUMNIST/301240036/Mark-Hinson-column-Some-folks-forget-their-social-skills-when-comes-social-media?nclick_check=1). The author even identified my type. I am "The Self-Hating Facebooker: You know, the dude who is always on Facebook carping about the vacuousness of “Fakebook.”" Well, except, I don't carp on Facebook, I do it here. :)

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 26, 2014, 11:24:46 pm
I'm not saying my roommates are boring, but they have long conversations about the weather.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 26, 2014, 11:33:19 pm
Oy Vey!
(https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1555423_10151948679661700_1036637330_n.jpg)

I guess this (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-11) is the stats they are using.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on January 27, 2014, 12:03:08 am
I guess this (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-11) is the stats they are using.

Only three deaths due to prostitution or commercialized vice. Let's open some brothels up in this piece.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 27, 2014, 05:04:44 am
Something we've talked extensively about on this board, those Meth user before and after pictures (http://madworldnews.com/15-shocking-before-after-pics-showing-effects-of-drug-abuse/). In my innocence I never doubted the validity of the photos, but I just saw them posted on Facebook, and my new everything on FB is bullshit rule of thumb has caused me to call them into question. What say you my Brain Trust?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Choop on January 27, 2014, 06:12:35 am
oh damnit ubuntu, why did you delete my post?

ok well uh lets try this again

who has two thumbs and is anti-meth and pro-brothel? this guy.

marijuana, prostitution, and abortion: legalization is awesome, resulting in an improvement in quality of life for entire societies.
meth, pimpin, religious demands on child-bearing: condemnation is the future, the present state proving a detriment to any who encounter it.

the pictures of meth users are something i believe. it's harder to kick than crack, but i know two people who have managed it. they both decry it as the scourge of our time, and actively aid those currently addicted. they both have known more people to fall to meth than i have known professionally in my life. neither will even discuss the process of eliminating it from their lives. frankly, i don't want to know any details.

there are drugs which aren't bad for a person, and there are others that don't get along with being a person. i think meth, like crack, is the latter. of course i'm biased toward certain drugs, which i've done, but i have a hard time believing that meth widens a person's conciousness or introduces a consumerist to natural occurences.

any intoxicant CAN be ill for any SPECIFIC person depending on their circumstances. any child of alcoholics is of course wise to dodge that trap, et cetera. i think of meth writ alcohol times a thousand, in terms of strength of addiction and negative effects on any who use it. those two i mentioned had to excise themselves of entire social groups to escape the encapsulating culture.

look this whole post has no overreaching thesis, really, other than U.S. out of our lungs and uteri, except for meth and other drugs like it, which isn't exactly catchy. you know what i'm getting at.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 27, 2014, 06:28:01 am
Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way defending meth. It's some terrible terrible stuff, and I believe those pics are probably real, but it seems like literally everything on FB is pure BS so it's caused me some doubt.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 27, 2014, 02:32:33 pm
Oy Vey!
(https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1555423_10151948679661700_1036637330_n.jpg)

I guess this (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-11) is the stats they are using.

Productive uses of the one on the left: minimal
Productive uses of the one on the right: rather a lot
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 27, 2014, 03:21:22 pm
When all you've got is a hammer...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 02, 2014, 07:37:03 pm
One of my friends just shared this video (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=281537688665675) on FB. This only bothers me because dozens of people commented on it and not one of them said, oh, this is total bullshit. I guess that's left for me to do. <sigh>


Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 12, 2014, 10:04:02 pm
I take baby Z to Walmart today, it is her nap time so it's handy to run some errands while she snoozes in her stroller, which is something she does quite contentedly if undisturbed.  We had come straight there from her baby group, so she'd had lots of engagement and interaction and was ready for a rest.  Z is droopy eyed going in and out and well on her way to dream land, but not quite asleep as I head inside.  I am walking along and I see one of the blue vest associates is one of those "coo-coo for babies" high energy people -- old enough to be a grandmother -- the type that should know better than to disturb a baby, but either is too stupid or doesn't care.  She is locking on to the stroller with her eyes, saying "look at that baby!" to her coworkers, so I give the lady a firm shake of my head, which she seems to ignore, then I quickly steer the stroller away.  I seem to have evaded her, and go about my business.  Z is in that half daze of not-quite but not-quite-not asleep, and she is so due for a nap after a rough night of teething pain.  So I am in the Fruit of the Loom isle, looking for my size and suddenly the "coo-coo for babies" associate is right in the isle, crouched down with her head in the stroller, face to face with Z.  She had to have been following me, because she basically sprung on us.

Associate: Look at the baaaaybee!
Me: She's sleeping, please leave her...
Associate: No she's not!  Her eyes are open!  HEEELLLOOO baby!
Me: Well, she was falling asleep, but you're waking her up.  Please leave her alone.
Associate (to Z):You''re not asleep!  HELO! You're eyes are WIIIIDE open!
Me: She needs to nap.  GO. AWAY.
Assocaite:  You don't want to sleep, do you Baaaybeee?
Me:  Oh, my god, stop!  Seriously.  Leave her alone.
Associate (laughing):  Good bye sweetie!
Me: Thanks a lot.  (Sigh)

I was so pissed off with this lady that I actually considered asking to speak to a manager, but what would my complaint be apart from "this lady is a clueless idiot."  Z is a pretty laid back baby, so she just sort woke up and sat there looking shell shocked as I shopped, but she missed her nap entirely, and my hope to run a few more errands was squandered as she got more fussy from lack of rest and I needed to take her home for an in-the-bed nap instead.  FUUUUUUU!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on February 12, 2014, 10:51:21 pm
Babies are irresistibly cute; but I keep my distance unless specifically invited.  Mama bears got nothing on sleep deprived women trying to get some life done.  Maybe older women who have had kids of their own think they've paid their dues and are immune to the personal space thing?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on February 12, 2014, 11:57:57 pm
I've come to find there's a subsection of women in our parent's generation who have taken on a role of under-minding and/or counteracting the current generation of mothers.  The feminist in me understands that women have been taught to compete and play against each other for generations, and that that is bullshit, and solidarity is the better path.  Then there is the mother in me, who basically doesn't have any time for other people's bullshit.  I mean, come on, I feel a sense of accomplishment when I both shower and brush my teeth on the same day right now, do not fuck with me Walmart lady.   
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 09, 2014, 08:43:40 pm
If I unfollowed everyone of my friends who posted a "what _____ are you?" I wouldn't have anyone left to unfollow.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 12, 2014, 06:57:29 pm
If I unfollowed everyone of my friends who posted a "what _____ are you?" I wouldn't have anyone left to unfollow.

Except us, Paul. And what more do you really need?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 13, 2014, 12:18:49 am
Except us, Paul. And what more do you really need?

You make a very valid point.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 13, 2014, 10:15:40 pm
Hey, guess what, that viral video of strangers kissing (http://www.uproxx.com/up/2014/03/wants-watch-bunch-strangers-make/) is actually an ad for clothes (http://www.uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2014/03/viral-video-strangers-kissing-actually-just-ad-for-clothes/). I didn't pick up on that, probably because I was too busy pointing out how dumb it is in the first place. Everyone else was commenting "so beautiful" or "it's touching" or etc. My comment "Strangers kissing for the first time is basically every porno ever made."

If you fuckers would post more I wouldn't have to waste so much time on Facebook. I'd much rather waste it here.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 14, 2014, 02:00:09 pm
Yeah, it's much easier to get "strangers" to agree to smooch when they're all models and actors an' shit, and at least pre-qualified to be somewhat attractive.

Here is a completely terrible game my friends in New York taught me (it worked well on the streets of Manhattan). When you are walking down a busy street, take notice of the next ten people of the opposite sex (or same, or both, depending on your preferences) who pass you in the opposite direction (and appear to be of the age of consent). You theoretically have to sleep with one of those ten. But you have to decide on each in turn--i.e. you can pick #1 until #2 comes along, at that point #1 is gone. You can't go back. And once you've decided, you have to stick with it, so if I pick woman #3 and then #7 turns out to be Scarlett Johansson, too bad for me. And if you don't take 1 through 9, you MUST take #10, no matter who they are.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 14, 2014, 04:27:49 pm
What if the first person was Scarlett Johanson and the second person was Elizabeth Taylor circa 1956? What a drag it would be to have to settle for Scarlett Johanson. Ha ha ha... Of course I would probably pass on Ellie May and get stuck with Miss Hathaway.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 14, 2014, 04:52:57 pm
Do you buy her flowers first?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 14, 2014, 06:59:09 pm
Yeah, it's much easier to get "strangers" to agree to smooch when they're all models and actors an' shit, and at least pre-qualified to be somewhat attractive.

Here is a completely terrible game my friends in New York taught me (it worked well on the streets of Manhattan). When you are walking down a busy street, take notice of the next ten people of the opposite sex (or same, or both, depending on your preferences) who pass you in the opposite direction (and appear to be of the age of consent). You theoretically have to sleep with one of those ten. But you have to decide on each in turn--i.e. you can pick #1 until #2 comes along, at that point #1 is gone. You can't go back. And once you've decided, you have to stick with it, so if I pick woman #3 and then #7 turns out to be Scarlett Johansson, too bad for me. And if you don't take 1 through 9, you MUST take #10, no matter who they are.

I like this game better:

Pick a person at random and watch them go about their business, and try to figure out what that person's lover adores the most about him/her. Works best when you choose people who are quirky or unconventionally attractive.

Also, I liked the strangers kissing video. I don't care that it's a clothing ad, even. It makes me want to kiss a bunch of strangers just to see what it's like. Seems like a fun way to spend an afternoon.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 14, 2014, 10:08:35 pm
I don't care that it's a clothing ad, even.

I don't care that it's a clothing ad either. I do care that it's fake and loads of people believed it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 14, 2014, 10:13:55 pm
Is it fake?

I mean, the partici##### may or may not have been actors, but the awkwardness and chemistry that film portrayed seemed absolutely real to me.  Do you think it is not a little awkward to have first time make outs with a complete stranger even if you are an actor?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 14, 2014, 10:28:05 pm
Obviously there's no way to know for certain, but yeah, of course it's fake. It wasn't random people recruited for a social experiment, it was actors hired to play a role. How much did they rehearse the scene? How many takes were there before they captured the perfect awkward moment? How much discussion was there between the players beforehand? How much direction were they given? Even if it were technically strangers kissing it wasn't real.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2014, 07:34:19 pm
I just came up with an idea and I want to road test it here. To people who misuse to/too. For instance someone just commented "to funny." My reply was "to funny and beyond." Like Buzz Lightyear might say if he wanted to go to funny instead of infinity. I'm wondering if that would work in any situation? This could be a real game changer for me on FB. Ha ha ha...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 16, 2014, 10:03:13 pm
What's the deal with Palm Oil? I keep seeing pictures of dead apes and something about don't buy palm oil. I haven't bothered to read the articles because I am assuming it's probably some distorted bullshit, but I am actually curious as to what is going on.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 16, 2014, 10:24:24 pm
It is not distorted, it is some fucked up shit. But unfortunately palm oil is in nearly everything.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 16, 2014, 11:50:25 pm
Yeah, palm oil is actually terrible environmentally, and very hard to avoid if you buy any manufactured food at all. Even practically everything at Whole Foods. It's very frustrating.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 16, 2014, 11:55:54 pm
Well that's a bummer.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 17, 2014, 12:52:31 am
What's the alternative?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 17, 2014, 04:18:25 am
An acquaintance from high school changed his profile pic to a well-photoshopped image of Gandalf staring at the screen of an Mac laptop. I commented, "Dude, how long has it been since we saw you last?" He commented back, "LOL I started growing my beard out right after we hung out, it's only been about 120 years or so." Which opened him right up for the zinger:

"No, you look the same, but when did you become a Mac person?"

His response?

"Oh lol i thought you were saying I looked old, i'm not a Mac person lol"

SMH.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on March 17, 2014, 01:56:40 pm
it's the tragedy of comedy —— the straight man always wins, while even the clever fool steps on a rake
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 17, 2014, 07:11:06 pm
Basically the problem with palm oil is the plantations are built on land cleared of rainforests or other, native, plants that are necessary for the local ecosystem to maintain its diversity and "health".  The alternative is probably to avoid buying processed food.  The food engineers (a real occupation) look at the components of any given recipe and find low cost alternatives to them. Butter -> palm oil. Yeast -> baking soda. Cocoa butter -> palm oil. Pecans -> walnuts. Meat -> soy protein filler. Cheese cultures and rennet -> bioreactor fermented enzymes and hydrocolloids. Cream -> dextrins, emulsifiers, xanthan or guar gums, carrageenan...and palm oil.  Industrially produced, refined components used in processed, canned, or packaged goods are most efficiently obtained through monoculture fields and plantations, which displace native plant life.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 17, 2014, 11:31:02 pm
it's the tragedy of comedy —— the straight man always wins, while even the clever fool steps on a rake

(http://media.giphy.com/media/RSOUOj8H9A3Xq/giphy.gif)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 18, 2014, 06:23:22 am
Actual Strangers Kissing for the First Time (http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/14/vice-creates-their-own-ordinary-people-version-of-that-first-kiss-viral-video-with-all-its-slurping-sounds-4579028/)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 18, 2014, 02:09:54 pm
Actual Strangers Kissing for the First Time (http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/14/vice-creates-their-own-ordinary-people-version-of-that-first-kiss-viral-video-with-all-its-slurping-sounds-4579028/)

I like this one too.

I still say that despite the fact that the original was slickly made and featured pretty people, much of the awkwardness and chemistry was genuine.

Also, what's up with the guy in the "Dope" hat.  It's hard to believe he's self-aware enough to realize he's a dope, but it's nice that he's thoughtful enough to advertise the fact.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on March 18, 2014, 03:27:57 pm
I'm with EggMan. I like them both.

Although, who let Robert Plant in on this? He seemed like a creeper.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 18, 2014, 04:03:11 pm
I'm sure I would love the first one if they weren't trying to pretend it were real.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 26, 2014, 04:57:17 pm
"I've decided to stop wearing underwear."

My cousin posted this on Facebook. When I left a sarcastic reply I had no idea I was falling into a trap. Apparently it's one of those meme's where you post something stupid without explanation and if someone comments on it they are tagged and have to do the same thing.

I only fell for it because she is known to overshare anyway. So I had to change my status to "Guess it was 2 good 2 b true I'm pregnant."

Yay, I just found a new reason to unfollow people.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 26, 2014, 05:57:59 pm
I was wondering if you had been hacked.

I have been unfollowing a few people who I was putting up with because they were vaguely work-related but had gotten too annoying. This was my reward for not unfollowing all the writers who are more successful than me and posting photos of their trips to warm places.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 26, 2014, 06:14:16 pm
This was my reward for not unfollowing all the writers who are more successful than me and posting photos of their trips to warm places.

Well I'm glad you are doing it for the right reasons.

PS- I deleted that stupid post.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on March 28, 2014, 07:25:29 pm
Actual stupid headline Underweight People Have a High Chance of Dying Too  (http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/marilyn-linton/underweight-danger_b_5043386.html).  Ummmm...  I'm pretty sure all people have a high chance of dying.  I'm pretty sure most, if not all people, will die.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 28, 2014, 07:27:18 pm
It's just a question of how far out you want to extend the horizon.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 28, 2014, 08:35:43 pm
It ain't about how long, it's about what you cram in there anyways.

THAT'S WHAT YER MOM SAID

ZING
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 28, 2014, 09:39:53 pm
Asparagus is a grower not a shower.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: side_show on April 12, 2014, 12:19:37 am
Okay, so a FB friend posted  this article (http://m.xojane.com/issues/stop-calling-people-ladies) and this one annoys me. I 100% support people anywhere on the gender spectrum. I also refuse to accept calling people "ladies" is offensive.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 14, 2014, 01:41:10 pm
It wouldn't be too hard to find women who would be offended at being called "guys."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 14, 2014, 02:17:20 pm
Okay, so a FB friend posted  this article (http://m.xojane.com/issues/stop-calling-people-ladies) and this one annoys me. I 100% support people anywhere on the gender spectrum. I also refuse to accept calling people "ladies" is offensive.

Meh, I've heard that definitely used in an offensiveish way.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 14, 2014, 02:19:09 pm
You can use almost any word in an offensive way with the right tone of voice, though. I mean, maybe people need to pick their battles?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2014, 03:08:22 pm
I remember when lady was the most respectable term to use.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: CortJstr on April 14, 2014, 04:52:10 pm
Okay, so a FB friend posted  this article (http://m.xojane.com/issues/stop-calling-people-ladies) and this one annoys me. I 100% support people anywhere on the gender spectrum. I also refuse to accept calling people "ladies" is offensive.

IIRC when I last had an AP stylebook (ca. 2000) it said to avoid "lady" and "ladies" as they're often read as condescending or sarcastic.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 14, 2014, 05:07:29 pm
Glavin.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 14, 2014, 05:33:38 pm
The only unambiguously offensive use (other than as Wombat described) is when you call a group of men ladies to criticize some sort of performance.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jay-ell on April 23, 2014, 04:11:11 am
Posted to Facebook by the wife of an old flame:

Quote
Speed Challenge: Nicholas Sparks lover here at the library.... What should I read????.....Go!

Hesitated for juuuust long enough to keep myself from posting, "Asimov." But I bet someone here has a much funnier quip.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 23, 2014, 01:21:29 pm
One of my hyper-conservative in-laws posted a link to FB this morning about two city councilmen in New Hampshire who refused to participate in the Pledge of Allegiance, newly added to their meetings, because they said it was politically motivated and an empty gesture. His comment: "They should be shot dead."

So Rancher Bundy, standing on his beliefs (which just happen to involve him avoiding paying the federal government a million dollars) is an American hero, worth starting an armed confrontation with federal agents over.
These guys, acting well within their rights, regarding a bunch of words that ultimately effect no one whether they say them or not, they're traitors and should be killed.

Because freedom?

I don't understand this fuck*ng country sometimes.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 23, 2014, 03:27:27 pm
Noted about another one of my far-right in-laws on FB: checked his page and he gets ZERO likes on the vast majority of the apeshit things he posts. He has 500+ FB friends and apparently none of them publicly agree with him. That should be telling him something (if nothing else, that a lot of them have probably unfollowed him).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 23, 2014, 06:16:34 pm
I've never heard of Nicolas Sparks, but based on the context of the comments in this thread I'm assuming he sucks at writing.

That should be telling him something (if nothing else, that a lot of them have probably unfollowed him).

I unfollowed 3 more people today. FB is getting better all the time.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 23, 2014, 08:07:49 pm
After a sever brain bleed my grandpa was kind out of it. The doctors were giving him the routine questions like "Where are you?" "What year is it?" And he was cool with all that. They asked him where he met his wife, and even then he was able to tell their whole story. Then right after, he went right into explaining how he couldn't talk anymore because he had to get back on deck to help rescue people from the malaysian airlines crash. He was aiding the navigator. Troubling, yes, but at least he wasn't thinking about the brain surgery he just had.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on April 23, 2014, 09:20:53 pm
He has 500+ FB friends and apparently none of them publicly agree with him. That should be telling him something (if nothing else, that a lot of them have probably unfollowed him).
Or that they are technologically illiterate and don't understand the like button function.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 23, 2014, 10:11:59 pm
AC, you're alive. I was sure you had been kidnapped by a drug cartel down in Juarez.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 06, 2014, 08:21:17 pm
It's been awhile since one of these stupid things has pissed me off enough to post about it here, but this one is a real doozy!

(https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/1932250_705874216139377_1739815614_n.jpg)

I don't even know where to begin...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on June 07, 2014, 11:57:06 pm
I'd argue that guns have alternate non-killing-people uses too —— e.g., I use mine to open boxes!

In seriousness, though, a town very close to mine just had a total lockdown because a deranged libertarian gun loon decided to show the world who's boss by killing three police officers. Even just a day after this happened, the small town bear-arms folks are out in full force, arguing that if more people had unfettered access to guns, somebody could/would have shot the guy who was shooting people. It's turtles all the way down, and the turtles have very small brains.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 08, 2014, 01:13:21 am
Didn't the three people he killed have guns?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 08, 2014, 01:22:42 am
My first reaction that photo was you've got to be kidding me, the entirety of air travel has forever been changed because of 911. You most certainly can't take a box cutter on an airplane now. YOU CAN'T EVEN TAKE A TUBE OF TOOTHPASTE ON AN AIRPLANE ANYMORE!!! Oi.

Then of course is the fact that nobody is trying to take anybody's guns away. Legislation was proposed to close a gaping hole in the background check rules and the wing nuts flipped their lids over it. The measure failed so the gaping hole is still there. Good job Congress.

Nobody is trying to take anybody's guns away yet this Strawman is alive and well.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 09, 2014, 01:59:03 pm
The disparity between what we do to thwart a very specific brand of terrorism vs. what we do about domestic guns is staggering. One guy tried to detonate a shoe bomb, and now years later we still all take off our shoes at the airport.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 12, 2014, 01:33:49 pm
This link was posted to FB by one of my crazier in-laws: http://madworldnews.com/video-want-proof-high-treason-need-see-sea-arms/
So they're apparently willing to believe an Al Qaeda-produced video at face value. OK then.

But what's really priceless is this exchange in the comments:



Dale Raby Jr. ·  Top Commenter · Works at Movie director
Empty crates. Just proves anyone will believe anything!

Faye Vance ·  Top Commenter · Omega, Georgia
Keep your head in the sand Dale.

Dale Raby Jr. ·  Top Commenter · Works at Movie director
Why wasn't one of the people filming this didn't open a crate and hold up one of the missiles? OH if your looking for ocean front property I have some for sale Just outside of Phoenix.....

Faye Vance ·  Top Commenter · Omega, Georgia
Dale Raby Jr. Hmmmm I don't remember ocean front property in AZ when I lived there. Maybe you need to do more research on what's really going on in the world.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 12, 2014, 07:54:29 pm
Occurred to me that the better phrasing for Dale up there would have been "if your looking for ocean front property I have some for sale Just outside of Phoenix.....It's on a SECRET ocean that Obama doesn't want you to know about. He's planning on giving it all away to Muslims."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 14, 2014, 08:43:37 pm
Lately I keep finding myself in conversations where I am silent and everyone else is just completely talking out of their asses. The top one being that my roommate incorrectly explained a news item, and then two other friends overheard and entered the conversation very argumentatively, also not having actually read the article. I can't deal with this.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 05, 2014, 01:02:46 am
My "friend" who I try to avoid as much as possible came in to visit me at work just now. I was in the middle of helping a customer (a little old lady, just for emphasis) and my "friend" decided to start having a conversation with me. About the girl I have a crush on. And whether it is true that I want to "hate-fuck" her. Firstly, what a completely vile phrase. Secondly, wtf?? Do they not normally let you go out in public?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on July 05, 2014, 01:46:35 am
Time for you to move to a new city and get a new bunch of friends.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 05, 2014, 04:58:56 am
yeah, unfortunately this girl will manage to follow me wherever I go. She doesn't live here anymore but still shows up.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on July 05, 2014, 06:39:36 am
I kinda like the term hate-fuck because it pretty accurately describes how I feel about some women whom I strongly dislike, but still find extremely physically attractive.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on July 05, 2014, 12:02:20 pm
yeah, unfortunately this girl will manage to follow me wherever I go. She doesn't live here anymore but still shows up.

I was thinking more of the other character in the story.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 20, 2014, 02:13:24 am
lady saying reddit is "almost anonymous" if you don't tell anyone your screen name.

I think I made a face that said "well, not if you use the same name you use on instagram and twitter... nice post about your ex by the way, I agree that he seemed like a dick"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 25, 2014, 02:18:01 pm
Bumper sticker seen on truck this morning:

The Obama sticker on your car
MIGHT AS WELL SAY
"Yes I'm Stupid!"


Well, that convinced me. I renounce my liberal tendencies forever and ever and promise to only vote Republican.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 25, 2014, 04:23:27 pm
We can read just fine! We're all too busy with that book learnin', don't know how to do anything of actual value.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on July 25, 2014, 06:00:26 pm
When I was a young'un, growing up in the mean suburbs of Sydney, AUS, we didn't have a fancy clothes dryer, such as you see in folks' homes these days.  Clothes were hung on a line, or later in a fancy contraption that looked like an umbrella but had lines strung between the ribs instead of fabric.  Before that stage however, my mom would pull the sopping clothes out of the washer and run them through a device she called "The Mangler", which was an electrified set of rollers that squeezed the excess water out.  She never let my brother or I be in the washroom when she operated it, and wore her hair up in a bun on account of Precautions.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 25, 2014, 06:37:11 pm
When I was a young'un, growing up in the mean suburbs of Sydney, AUS, we didn't have a fancy clothes dryer, such as you see in folks' homes these days.  Clothes were hung on a line, or later in a fancy contraption that looked like an umbrella but had lines strung between the ribs instead of fabric.  Before that stage however, my mom would pull the sopping clothes out of the washer and run them through a device she called "The Mangler", which was an electrified set of rollers that squeezed the excess water out.  She never let my brother or I be in the washroom when she operated it, and wore her hair up in a bun on account of Precautions.

This device is more typically known as a wringer, and is thus the source of the expression "put through the wringer."
If someone writes that they've been "put through the ringer," they MIGHT AS WELL SAY "Yes I'm Stupid!"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on July 25, 2014, 07:04:25 pm
This device is more typically known as a wringer, and is thus the source of the expression "put through the wringer."

Or the perhaps less common expression "my tits in a wringer."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on July 25, 2014, 08:59:09 pm
My mom's rack was in no danger at that time.  Sporty physique.  Her hair was waist length though.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on July 25, 2014, 10:46:43 pm
In my experience it's usually guys who use that expression for some reason.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on July 25, 2014, 11:35:38 pm
"Putting your nuts in the wringer" is probably just too painful to say.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 22, 2014, 08:01:01 pm
I am not a big Henry Rollins fan.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 22, 2014, 10:10:34 pm
I mostly agree with what Rollins said. I would never say what he said, but I understand where he's coming from. He was insensitive, and in part over the top, but he wasn't wrong.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 23, 2014, 04:09:20 am
Thinking back, I did really like a thing he wrote about weightlifting. He made me get the appeal, which I didn't before, and I tend to think any piece of writing that makes you understand another person's experience is a good piece of writing. This piece is kinda the opposite.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 25, 2014, 05:15:41 am
Rollins has Apologized (http://pitchfork.com/news/56440-henry-rollins-apologizes-for-robin-williams-criticism/)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on August 25, 2014, 09:19:51 pm
That was interesting, both his original, and post-woodshed essays.  I certainly think its possible for people to evolve in their opinions over time, and I think its unfair of us to label someone as a flip-flopper or inconsistent when they do so.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 27, 2014, 07:45:13 pm
They're just trolling us now, right?
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10513523_811297375597060_5143234589565627338_n.jpg?oh=efa73bf924cbeeebf04ddb1340c3e75a&oe=5472EC10&__gda__=1415495321_7788ba584b29fcb49e59b2bebd9fdd95)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on August 27, 2014, 08:51:46 pm
Oh for Pete's sake. Because if the anti-government types were in charge, we'd have fewer guns and less racism. Yeah, sure.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 27, 2014, 09:22:59 pm
Yeah, all the cops in that picture voted for Obama.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on August 27, 2014, 10:52:03 pm
I was flipping though the cable channels looking for something to amuse my 5 year old, and, briefly, there was Henry Rollins pontificating.  I didn't stop to find out what about, but I thought it was especially random given his appearance here.  Makes me wonder how many times I've gone past him in the last several years and not even noticed, but caught it this time because we'd actually been talking about him.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 26, 2014, 02:31:06 am
my roommate is telling me about how she is fully expecting to sleep with her guy friend who is in town, who has a girlfriend, and just hopes that he'll get caught eventually.

(https://i.imgur.com/JhD3f56.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 19, 2014, 06:04:49 pm
I did not really know how to respond to my roommate being upset (and putting on a little kid pouty face) that I am going to see my little sister on her (the roommate's) birthday weekend. What I wanted to say was "oh, I didn't really think about you, because we are not very close." Instead I just smiled nervously and changed the subject.

My parents are throwing a wrench in things by being really nice and offering to buy me a ticket to come meet them and my sister in Boston. It is not really a good weekend, I have stuff due the next week, but obviously I would rather go see Boston and family than stay home and do homework (and probably get coerced into doing "birthday" stuff with my roommate, who I am not crazy about).

Living with people I am not friends with is bringing out all my grumpy qualities. I am not going to change my plans to celebrate the birthday of the girl who complains EVERY TIME I cook that it smells bad.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 19, 2014, 09:13:33 pm
Are you rooming with a five year old or what?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on October 19, 2014, 09:45:13 pm
god i am glad to now have a place to live where i can just chill without people all existing at me.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 20, 2014, 07:29:21 pm
Can for Wombat for nailing it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 21, 2014, 01:28:09 am
Yes, she is extremely childish about everything. Including having the attitude where she is convinced she is the only mature one who knows what is going on.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Jaded Tersk on October 22, 2014, 06:59:49 pm
This device is more typically known as a wringer

It's regional.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangle_(machine) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangle_(machine))
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 22, 2014, 07:20:21 pm
Must be. Given the choice, based on the terms alone, I'd rather stick my hand in a wringer than a mangler. Sheeeit.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 23, 2014, 06:29:05 am
A callback from July. Can for Jared.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 18, 2014, 05:29:33 am
Quote
This is college. We should be able to explore ideas and discuss without inhibition.

Actually, it's graduate school. And what happened is you said something that sounded kind of racist, and someone asked you to explain what you meant, and then we changed the subject because you seemed flustered.

Also, the roommate continues just being SO DUMB AND SELF-CENTERED. The other day she was going on and on about how mad she is about her friend's "stupid" parenting decision. Long story short, she thinks her friend is doing something silly that is a waste of time, and her friend got mad/defensive when she told her so. You are 26 years old and you haven't figured out that people don't like it when you tell them they're being stupid?

You seem like a person who would have experience with how that feels! Just saying! Ahhhh!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 18, 2014, 07:23:44 pm
Grandma: I saw there was a sale on iphones. I feel bad about missing the sale on iphones.
Me: You don't need an iphone. You need one of those phones with big buttons and no confusing features.
G: But aren't iphones better than regular phones?
M: Yeah kind of, but I can't be your tech support for a new phone. Trust me on this one, you don't need an iphone.
G:What about an ipad?
M:No. I bought you a kindle and you can't work that thing out. You do not need an ipad. You have a laptop.
G: But the ad says the phone is free...
M: DONT BUY AN IPHONE. I PAY YOUR CELL PHONE BILL AND I DON'T PAY FOR DATA.
G: But its free.
M: No. I, uh, have a conference call and I need to go. bye.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 18, 2014, 07:34:32 pm
You need to get your g'ma an iphone.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 18, 2014, 11:00:39 pm
You need to get your g'ma an iphone.
You need to shut the hell up.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 19, 2014, 02:31:48 pm
Similar, from last night:
MIL: I went to Best Buy and told them I wanted to be able to stream movies, like everyone else does. They sold me some sort of Apple TV box for $200, and said it was easy to hook up, but I couldn't figure it out. Then Geek Squad wanted $150 to come install it for me. Another guy I talked to said I should get a video game console and stream through that.
Me: You should return all that crap, because that TV you got last year is internet-enabled and you can probably stream Netflix to it directly. I'll come over and set it up. Why didn't you ask me in the first place?
MIL: Well, I didn't want to bother you.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on November 19, 2014, 04:12:07 pm
Similar, from last night:
MIL: I went to Best Buy and told them I wanted to be able to stream movies, like everyone else does. They sold me some sort of Apple TV box for $200, and said it was easy to hook up, but I couldn't figure it out. Then Geek Squad wanted $150 to come install it for me. Another guy I talked to said I should get a video game console and stream through that.
Me: You should return all that crap, because that TV you got last year is internet-enabled and you can probably stream Netflix to it directly. I'll come over and set it up. Why didn't you ask me in the first place?
MIL: Well, I didn't want to bother you.

Sheesh, get a Chromecast for $35 at least...
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 19, 2014, 08:50:05 pm
What technology is going to be fuck*ng me up in my dotage, I wonders.

I'd like to think I can stay current, but... Yknow.
That's the spirit. Just comfortably accept the fact that your grandchildren grew up in a world of technology from conception and will run circles around you in every tech related subject. You're around 50, right (I simplify my life by assuming all grown men are around 50)? You've got another 60 years ahead of you and you will not understand half the shit kids are talking about.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 25, 2014, 03:27:54 am
watching horror unfold in a town I consider my home, meanwhile my roommates are screaming at each other about whether it is rude to leave the teapot on the stove. Stop the world, I want to get off.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2014, 02:09:04 pm
As someone on Twitter said, "White privilege is the ability to be outraged by the Ferguson decision, rather than terrified by it."

And where the hell else are you supposed to leave the teapot? Please get a new roommate before I come up there and punch someone. It's not a long train ride and I'm really in mood to punch someone.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2014, 03:03:59 pm
Why should I be outraged by the Ferguson decision? 

A duly constituted grand jury reviewed all the evidence available and reached a decision that there was not sufficient evidence to prosecute the police officer.  They are the only ones who have reviewed all the testimony and all the physical evidence.  Do facts and evidence just not matter anymore?

I'm not suggesting that there isn't racism in this country.  I'm not suggesting that the Ferguson Police Department is fair and unbiased.  I'm not suggesting that black people are not subject to institutional racism.  I'm only saying that the evidence in this particular case did not support an indictment.  Why is that so inconceivable? 

Should we just sacrifice this cop so we can have a meaningless show trial?  Then what happens when he gets acquitted?  Or should we just ignore the evidence at his trial too?

I accept that racial injustice exists, and that people of color are often treated unjustly.  But shouldn't you have to prove that injustice occurred in this particular case before you punish someone for it?  Why should this particular cop be the fall-guy for centuries of institutional racism, especially if the evidence shows that he acted legally?     
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2014, 03:28:54 pm
Look, I am not the lawyer here. But I do know that an indictment is a low bar to meet.
Quote
Former New York state Chief Judge Sol Wachtler famously remarked that a prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to “indict a ham sandwich.” The data suggests he was barely exaggerating: According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics,U.S. attorneys prosecuted 162,000 federal cases in 2010, the most recent year for which we have data. Grand juries declined to return an indictment in 11 of them.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/ferguson-michael-brown-indictment-darren-wilson/ (http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/ferguson-michael-brown-indictment-darren-wilson/)

Add that to the institutional racism you mention which is clearly a problem in that jurisdiction to put it mildly, and I don't think it's too much for citizens to ask that when an unarmed person is shot, that there is at least a trial. What I've read about the evidence makes it pretty clear that it wasn't obvious. When there's a bunch of conflicting statements and evidence, that's what we have trials for, isn't it?

You're asking people to trust the system. I think there's a point at which you can understand why certain people don't trust that system and I think this is that point.

And yeah, there would be riots if he were found innocent but at least if you let the system play out in full, maybe there would be somewhat fewer people at the riots and apparently that's about all we can hope for in the world nowadays.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2014, 03:32:20 pm
While I couldn't stand to read this whole thing, the other problem is that apparently it is basically always legal for a cop to shoot someone if he thinks he has to.
http://www.thenation.com/article/190937/why-its-impossible-indict-cop# (http://www.thenation.com/article/190937/why-its-impossible-indict-cop#)
So yeah, maybe he did act legally, but are you asking people to just be OK with that?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2014, 04:02:54 pm
OK, I'm not a lawyer, but the National Bar Association doesn't get it either.
Quote
The National Bar Association is questioning how the Grand Jury, considering the evidence before them, could reach the conclusion that Darren Wilson should not be indicted and tried for the shooting death of Michael Brown.
http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b493e6c4d31beda32fdaf8e2d&id=73514e334b (http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b493e6c4d31beda32fdaf8e2d&id=73514e334b)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2014, 04:25:29 pm
While I couldn't stand to read this whole thing, the other problem is that apparently it is basically always legal for a cop to shoot someone if he thinks he has to.
http://www.thenation.com/article/190937/why-its-impossible-indict-cop# (http://www.thenation.com/article/190937/why-its-impossible-indict-cop#)
So yeah, maybe he did act legally, but are you asking people to just be OK with that?

This isn't the way to change that.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2014, 04:37:09 pm
OK, I'm not a lawyer, but the National Bar Association doesn't get it either.http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b493e6c4d31beda32fdaf8e2d&id=73514e334b (http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b493e6c4d31beda32fdaf8e2d&id=73514e334b)

But the jury made the decision.  12 individual citizens.  Not elected officials, police officers or politicians. 

If indictment was the only acceptable result, why bother having a preliminary hearing at all?  Why not just take him directly to trial?  What's the point in pretending to make a honest determination about probable cause if there is only one acceptable result, regardless of the evidence?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2014, 05:30:24 pm
But I do understand wanting to burn shit up.

I do too. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2014, 05:30:38 pm
So I ain't smart enough to say how to make this more better. But I do understand wanting to burn shit up.

Yeah.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2014, 05:35:45 pm
But the jury made the decision.  12 individual citizens.  Not elected officials, police officers or politicians. 

If indictment was the only acceptable result, why bother having a preliminary hearing at all?  Why not just take him directly to trial?  What's the point in pretending to make a honest determination about probable cause if there is only one acceptable result, regardless of the evidence?

Yeah, well that's exactly the problem: the suspicion that the whole thing was just about pretending to make an honest determination.

The thing is, there may have been twelve individual citizens involved in the system, but that's not much of an argument if you don't trust the system and if you don't trust your fellow citizens to see clearly when race is involved.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 25, 2014, 06:33:57 pm
But it's a black thing, I don't understand. Not really.

We can't truly understand, but we have to at least try.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2014, 08:34:12 pm
Thank you, I tried to post that earlier and couldn't get it to work. Have to laugh so you don't cry and that made me laugh more than once.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 25, 2014, 09:00:05 pm
I don't have anything useful to say about Ferguson, but Wombat definitely needs to beat the fuck out of Inev's roommate.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2014, 09:47:40 pm
Normally I believe in nonviolence but some people just really need a slap upside the head.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 26, 2014, 12:05:30 am
yeah, I did not know how to deal with that, or want to deal with that, so I stared at them and then went into my bedroom.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 26, 2014, 02:10:55 am
literally about stuff my parents say: my dad digitized all the old home videos, and I finally saw a famous video of me as a newborn. (the video is famous in my family because my grandpa keeps interrupting to talk about the delicious fajitas my grandma made. It's still a joke-- "I ate ALL FIVE! Five fajitas I ate!" I guess it's funnier with his accent). Very weird, my parents are so young and tired and my dad had a Boston accent back then. Also they kept calling me "Danny." I can't place who my dad sounded like, but it was making me think of some TV character.

It's weird watching a video of myself as a tiny baby, burping and screaming and flailing around. I had seen toddler videos, those are bad enough.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 26, 2014, 02:42:32 pm
I'm sure you forgot to post the link to the video.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on December 01, 2014, 06:25:18 pm
I can't place who my dad sounded like, but it was making me think of some TV character.
Someone from Cheers?

What is a unit of fajita?  I think of them as a plate with meat and veggies, like a collective noun or something.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 02, 2014, 12:42:54 am
they usually sell them by the pound.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 02, 2014, 04:45:24 am
My family mis-use almost all Mexican food terms. I think they made fajita-style grilled meat and veggies and put it in tacos.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on December 03, 2014, 05:52:39 pm
I guess it shouldn't be a surprise to English speaking Americans that just because one culture speaks the same language as another, that they may have a mangled understanding of their sister culture's cuisine.
Spotted Dick.
Bangers
Pudding
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on December 03, 2014, 08:11:38 pm
My family mis-use almost all Mexican food terms. I think they made fajita-style grilled meat and veggies and put it in tacos.

But how is grilled meat and veggies in a tortilla not a taco?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 03, 2014, 11:53:03 pm
they also call tacos quesadillas. I pointed this out and they all stopped, and claimed I was imagining things.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fajita) states that fajitas are usually served on a tortilla. So I guess they are Fajita Tacos.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2014, 11:59:21 pm
Y'all are bringing up fond memories of our legendary taco/burrito debate.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 04, 2014, 01:33:42 am
If someone mentions beans I will cut one.

Fixed!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on December 04, 2014, 03:33:07 am
If someone mentions beans I will cut them.

B..but they're good for your heart!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 04, 2014, 05:50:29 am
So many people I know repeating this meme about "the system isn't broken, it was built to oppress black people." Maybe we do not agree on what makes something "broken." That sounds like a pretty bad system to me? Like, that is not carrying out the function we want it to? = Broken? We want to fix it? What is the point you're trying to make here? It feels like weirdly focusing on a word choice that like, let's be honest, you know what people mean when they say that, right?

I think it's similar to my reaction to people talking about "rights." People say "_____ is a human right" as if, oh, ok, this guy said that this is a human right, backed up by nothing, so we can't argue about it anymore.

Actually, maybe the second one is me doing the thing that the people I am aggravated by are doing in the first.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 05, 2014, 04:08:58 am
Most weirdly tone-deaf thing I have seen in a while-- my aunt's sister-in-law posted on her wall "Hey [aunt], so nice seeing you and my brother the other night! It had been a while since I'd laughed that hard, or seen [my uncle] laugh that hard! See you guys again soon."

...with a link to a youtube video that was just jokes about police brutality? Timing? Yikes.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2014, 12:34:36 am
So many people I know repeating this meme about "the system isn't broken, it was built to oppress black people." Maybe we do not agree on what makes something "broken." That sounds like a pretty bad system to me? Like, that is not carrying out the function we want it to? = Broken? We want to fix it? What is the point you're trying to make here? It feels like weirdly focusing on a word choice that like, let's be honest, you know what people mean when they say that, right?

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're missing the point. They could be speaking sarcastically. It sounds like what they are really saying is, we can't fix the system because the system is inherently flawed and what's needed is a totally different system. Anarchy, perhaps.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on December 06, 2014, 12:51:49 am
That's the way it reads to me, too.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 06, 2014, 07:35:54 am
Yeah, I think that is their point. That the concept of police is basically to keep people in line. Which seems historically true. And that specifically in America, our entire country is based, historically, on exploiting black/brown people. Which is probably true.

But at the same time, other countries manage to have cops that don't kill people. I think that could be a cool goal for us.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 07, 2014, 05:48:00 pm
But at the same time, other countries manage to have cops that don't kill people.

They don't have as many brown people.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on December 07, 2014, 08:01:31 pm
They don't have as many brown people.

This is not the explanation. They have plenty of racial tension in England, for instance. But their cops don't carry guns.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 07, 2014, 08:06:56 pm
My partners in this real estate project won't stop referring to equity and loans interchangably. "We're borrowing $_____ from our equity partner." No. An equity partner is a partner. It is not borrowing. You borrow from a bank. Someone investing in your company is not the same as "borrowing" from them.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 08, 2014, 03:37:13 pm
My partners in this real estate project won't stop referring to equity and loans interchangably. "We're borrowing $_____ from our equity partner." No. An equity partner is a partner. It is not borrowing. You borrow from a bank. Someone investing in your company is not the same as "borrowing" from them.
Ahem. This infuriates me. Equity is shares in a joint venture. You can "borrow" from an "equity partner" but that just means he gets more shares and larger share in the venture. A more appropriate explanation would be a personal guarantee. I frequently ride lines of credit from a partner of mine. He does the same to me depending on who has more free hard cash on hand.  He runs a scrap yard so he typically has plenty of cash. I borrow 90k from him for a renovation project in Newark and I return his cash a month later with a small cut of the project. In return I find 50 odd k "missing" from my part of the account that he uses to buy a car or tractor or whatever and it mysteriously reappears later. But you are correct. Equity and loans are not interchangeable. One buys shares in the venture, the other is extension of credit with an interest rate. What I'm describing is a sort of agreement between a couple dudes, which is much more preferable to banks because of taxes, paperwork, and nonsense. On the downside, if this guy rips me off I have no recourse other than showing up to his scrap yard with a couple muscle men.

PS: What are you trying to buy? A rehab project or a rental?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 08, 2014, 06:01:33 pm
sorry, left out a word there: real estate CLASS project. I am not buying anything. But the project is a rehab.

I went through and fixed all the places where they wrote "lender" instead of "partner" in the powerpoint, and I made the pro-forma so it doesn't say it anywhere in there. Still worried they'll somehow say it while giving the presentation.

OMFG these people keep editing old versions of things that don't represent my changes. The "final" version of the powerpoint has the word "lender" all over it. And all wrong numbers and charts. Presentation is in half an hour. Whyyy.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2014, 04:59:43 am
OMFG these people keep editing old versions of things that don't represent my changes. The "final" version of the powerpoint has the word "lender" all over it. And all wrong numbers and charts. Presentation is in half an hour. Whyyy.

You need to distance yourself from these people. They have much bigger problems than knowing the difference between equity and loan.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 09, 2014, 06:28:18 am
Well, unfortunately the worst offender is probably going to keep being in my classes until I graduate. This guy is DENSE.

Bad news, though, I did some calculation wrong somewhere and our whole presentation was based on bad numbers. It is tempting to say that if I had been paired with different people, they would have double-checked or noticed that our returns seemed too high. But probably need to say "my bad."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2014, 05:40:49 pm
I say it's totally legit to blame them. You were spending time fixing mistakes that they kept changing back to mistakes. How could you possibly rise above that and double check your figures?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2014, 06:17:53 pm
That shitty file management thing you talked about takes me back to when I worked in a refinery. Were you with us then Inev? My boss was the biggest dummy. Had an epic mullet. This was something he did and it was maddening. And he was the boss.  Fuck these people.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2014, 06:19:17 pm
I feel very strongly about this. You are describing this guy!
(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7561/15984301202_23ef324e6b_o.jpg)

RUN from their poison!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on December 09, 2014, 07:04:11 pm
That is some fine-ass mulletage.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 09, 2014, 08:26:57 pm
I think this was right before I joined.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on December 09, 2014, 09:28:54 pm
New to me too, but I do feel like my life has been enriched by that photo.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 15, 2014, 05:58:15 am
So Norcal She Almost Died: my not-actually-related-but-we-call-her-Aunt lives in the Bay Area and has gone full Organic Holistic Fruity. Her latest escapade is that she found this special tea she really liked. Supposed to be cleansing, natural energy, all that stuff, cooked up by some neighborhood Healer. This is all a spoiler, too much foreshadowing... but anyway, she started being in weird pain. Random ailments, woken up in the middle of the night by flashes of pain across her body, headaches, nausea, etc. Doctors could not figure out what was wrong. Just goes to show that Modern Medicine is all quakery, right? They couldn't even figure out what this debilitating condition was... until...

It turns out you should not drink more than one cup a day of tea that includes NIGHTSHADE LEAVES and maybe there is a reason you are supposed to go to a special school before dispensing psychoactive chemicals to the public.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 15, 2014, 08:43:52 am
Shit Dutch People say. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_profanity)

Some really productive swearing going on over there. They are apparently really into using diseases to insult people (go get cancer!) and also have separate vocab for the animal version of body parts, so you can say "he's got a big (animal) head" or "wow she's got some (animal) legs on her." The Dutch version of "cracker" is "cheesehead" which seems fitting.

The one that made me laugh very very hard was Beftekkel (literally: "cunnilingus dachshund").

The main thing this article made me imagine is trying to be cool and cuss in dutch and actually saying a really bad one. I don't think I will be telling anyone to go rot with cancer.

I also like to imagine them calling each other "poopsie." affectionate terms are weird in every language.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 15, 2014, 02:26:39 pm
INEV!!! My man, what is up with the Semper Augustus all up in your avatar? I have been harvesting those tulips for the past five years. Its a weird virus that is really hard to cultivate, but the ROI is on net positive.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 15, 2014, 05:13:07 pm
Learning about Dutch things and learning about economics = thinking the tulip-mania is pretty interesting. Also it's a pretty flower.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on December 15, 2014, 06:28:47 pm
Acap you have to be kidding about being in the tulip business?? Is that even a thing in the 21st century?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 15, 2014, 06:51:01 pm
For those not in the know, the Tulip Mania (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania) was a 17th century thing where Dutch people went nuts for Tulips. Prices rose astronomically for individual bulbs. The Semper Augustus bulb was infamously traded for 12 acres of land. This was also the era when the Dutch were inventing lots of financial instruments, so people were bidding against each other on future earnings of bulbs, short-selling, etc. Then it all collapsed.

Ik hoop dat jouw tulipen krijgen geen virus, spin-kapitalist. (I hope your tulips get no virus, spider-kapitalist) (or, you know, get the virus that makes them pretty, but also thrive)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 16, 2014, 03:16:38 am
Acap you have to be kidding about being in the tulip business?? Is that even a thing in the 21st century?
I wish I were kidding you. I  grow bizarre tulips and orchids as a hobby.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 16, 2014, 04:38:00 am
There is something weird going on. Is this a dream? One guy from my program just went on a long thing about how handsome I look in a facebook picture from three years ago. Then, just now, another guy just walked into the lab, gave me a hug, told me "you're doing it right dude" and then left. Am I going to find out in a few minutes that my house burnt down or something?

Yeah, the other thing that happened tonight is that I drank a bunch of beers in the computer lab, and flirted with a girl who chipped her tooth (which I am super into, for some reason). Definitely a dream.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 16, 2014, 04:27:50 pm
Yeah I feel like that is a new york academic thing. I was surrounded by every kind of sexual orientation at N.Y.U. The library/student union even built a third bathroom for people who were confused. (These bathrooms also had footbaths for Muslim students to prepare themselves for prayer). This meant some risky business scenarios where even I did not know the particular inclinations or genders of my lab partners. I had to enlist a decidedly female cohort to help me navigate who was what and interpret the actions of those who chose to interact with me. Then Halloween in the village would happen and we were quickly out of our depths.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 16, 2014, 07:11:44 pm
I think that this is hug-guy's game. He acts like a dick in general, but then does weird stuff like this. And then when people say "he's a dick!" there are always a few people there who will defend him and say he's a nice dude, but maybe be embarrassed to say why. He is very nice to my roommate, who everyone hates.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 17, 2014, 10:43:58 pm
As a consequence of going to a catholic high school I had to go around doing community service for X amount of hours per semester. I found a nice girl who would drag me around to both senior citizen homes and library tutor gigs. I learned that both populations were remarkably similar in their honesty and temperaments. I don't know if I was consciously taking the piss on the whole thing or what, but the only way I could handle those hours was by trying to talk with them and explain that "I know you're crazy and not functioning as a normal person so I'm going to adjust to your level and we're going to talk about video games while I do your homework for you or we're going to talk about what it was like to fight in WWII and how it compares to dealing with your grandchildren." At the end of the year I submitted a review of the volunteer program to Brother Donald in which I compared the whole thing to the Hughes Spruce Goose project because it was well intended, but ultimately a waste of time.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 18, 2014, 05:18:28 am
I don't really have anything to add to that, but I did feel the story was worth a can.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 23, 2015, 01:02:24 am
College friend told me today she is cleaning out her room at her mom's house and found several letters I wrote her, and they were touching to re-read.

"Whoa, I don't remember writing you any letters!" was the wrong response. Come on dude, hove some dignity.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 11, 2015, 09:14:13 pm
Hilarious!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 12, 2015, 06:22:18 am
"Do you know the names of everyone you've fucked?"

"I'm sure I knew it at the time."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 13, 2015, 06:50:29 pm
[bestow'd]
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 09, 2015, 08:29:31 pm
So glad I changed the settings on Facebook so that I have to "approve" other people's posts on my wall. It feels a little mean, but then:

Quote from: my mom
Hey honey, did you get that article I posted on your facebook? It was about struggling to find love in your 20s. I posted it but now it isn't there!

"Yeah mom, I saw it... I don't know where it went!"

(this policy was instituted after my old coworker, who used to joke he was going to "get me drunk and turn me gay," posted "hey Dan, you gone full fag yet?" on my wall. Yikes duded.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 04, 2015, 03:52:41 pm
This report I'm summarizing for work keeps using the phrase "accidents that involve a fall from a higher level onto a lower level." Come on, there has to be a shorter way to say that. Multi-story falls?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on June 04, 2015, 06:14:30 pm
This report I'm summarizing for work keeps using the phrase "accidents that involve a fall from a higher level onto a lower level." Come on, there has to be a shorter way to say that. Multi-story falls?

Wouldn't any other sort of fall sort of violate the laws of physics?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on June 04, 2015, 07:33:23 pm
Yeah, my first reaction was "can't you say just 'falls'" but I guess you want to exclude, like, someone tripping on a banana peel.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on June 04, 2015, 07:44:31 pm
Yeah, my first reaction was "can't you say just 'falls'" but I guess you want to exclude, like, someone tripping on a banana peel.

fuck*ng lawyers.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 05, 2015, 05:11:56 pm
As part of the "Wile E. Coyote Drinking Game" we called it "Fall from great height."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 05, 2015, 06:50:58 pm
Yes, you have to differentiate between falling down and falling off of something.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 19, 2015, 02:56:22 pm
Just called out a FB friend who wrote "I don't know why it happened!" WRT to the Charleston shooting.

My reply: "It happened because he was a horrible racist, and because he had easy access to a gun."

This should be interesting.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 19, 2015, 05:38:26 pm
Only response so far amounts to "We shouldn't politicize this tragedy."

Which in my book amounts to "Please don't make me discuss the possibility that the policies I support, and/or the prejudices I either possess myself or tolerate in others in my faction, are in any way to blame for this." At least, that's how I interpret it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 20, 2015, 06:48:17 am
Only response so far amounts to "We shouldn't politicize this tragedy."

Which in my book amounts to "Please don't make me discuss the possibility that the policies I support, and/or the prejudices I either possess myself or tolerate in others in my faction, are in any way to blame for this." At least, that's how I interpret it.

That pretty much sums it up. I think there is a real feeling right now that enough is enough and the progressive side of this issue is ready to fight for this cause.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 20, 2015, 06:49:52 am
Taking the goddamn Rebel Flag off the State House lawn is the bare minimum place where we can begin this debate.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 24, 2015, 05:07:34 pm
That pretty much sums it up. I think there is a real feeling right now that enough is enough and the progressive side of this issue is ready to fight for this cause.

I thought that about Sandy Hook.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 24, 2015, 06:02:17 pm
Whatever else I have to say about New Jersey, I really like the shape of the state.  Suddenly occurs to me that my favorite state shape being an hourglass is not too subtle.

Today at work I am doing data entry, IE looking through another city department's database and re-typing the information into a spreadsheet. It is pretty obvious to me that I am not capturing the most useful data, but nobody seemed interested in my thoughts about that. Also, obviously there must be a better way to re-organize this data without some unpaid idiot re-typing it.

(Did find a building permit submitted under a really funny architect's name, though. Funny enough that I had to step away from the computer because I couldn't stop laughing and people were staring. I will not post it here because that is how you start a Chain of Events.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 26, 2015, 11:22:28 pm
TL:DR (in this case the DR is "don't read") of certain segments of my facebook/twitter feeds right now is "sure, a good thing happened that is making millions of people happy, but did you know that there are still bad things, and also here are 10 reasons that the good thing isn't good."

I believe, kind of, that we need people who are never satisfied and push for change. But damn if they aren't a pain in the ass that I want to shut the fuck up once in a while. Like, for one day.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on June 26, 2015, 11:50:04 pm
I think that the people who don't know how to stop and be happy for a moment at a success, in fact are not the people who are going to achieve change. So feel free to want them to shut the fuck up. There's a time and a place for "never satisfied" and this isn't it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on June 27, 2015, 05:24:49 pm
TL:DR (in this case the DR is "don't read") of certain segments of my facebook/twitter feeds right now is "sure, a good thing happened that is making millions of people happy, but did you know that there are still bad things, and also here are 10 reasons that the good thing isn't good."

I believe, kind of, that we need people who are never satisfied and push for change. But damn if they aren't a pain in the ass that I want to shut the fuck up once in a while. Like, for one day.

If you look for a reason to be unhappy, you'll always find one.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 29, 2015, 08:29:18 am
I thought that about Sandy Hook.

Yeah, it's probably just me.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 30, 2015, 01:53:43 pm
TL:DR (in this case the DR is "don't read") of certain segments of my facebook/twitter feeds right now is "sure, a good thing happened that is making millions of people happy, but did you know that there are still bad things, and also here are 10 reasons that the good thing isn't good."

That's a variation on one of the big problems of the Democratic party and liberalism in general. Conservatives are good at unifying the message and supporting things across the board. Liberals have a tendency to say "But what about MY thing that I care about?" The reaction to Patricia Arquette's Oscar speech is a prime example--yeah, maybe she wasn't as inclusive as she could have been, but be glad she used the platform for something positive rather than saying she's not good enough.

There will always be another day to fight another battle. But you're right, enjoy this good thing that happened right now.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on July 24, 2015, 09:05:56 am
I had a weird dream that some social scientists blew the lid off the whole Gun issue. They did a study and had a finding that let us all understand each other and sing kum-bay-aaa about how we all want a great world and just pursue it in different ways. Then the further I read the paper the more they qualified it until the conclusion was "I guess we don't know anything, about this or people in general."

Falling asleep after one of my few friends in NJ came over for icecream at my place, I reflected on my friendships with women. My half-asleep brain decided "when it comes to my relationships with women, I'm one twisted sister" and I woke up because I laughed out loud.

This woman on OkCupid thought it would be a cute opener to tell me she had to google what "misanthropic" meant after reading my profile. This made me feel _____.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 09, 2015, 11:08:21 pm
Okay, I gotta vent!

My parents next door neighbor posted this picture on Facebook.

(https://terrifictop10.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/obama-phone-upside-down.jpg)

My appropriate response...

Quote
What's really sad is someone Photoshopping a photograph to make the President look bad because they don't have anything legitimate to criticize him on. Saddest of all though are the people who propagate this nonsense because they hate the President so much they've lost the power to reason.

Ah, I see they've also photoshopped in a clock showing 3:00. So this is about Benghazi. That's perfect. A fake photo for a fake scandal.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/phone.asp

But I can't post that so I deleted it. This guy, he's a really great guy and he's been a huge help to my parents, especially since my dad had a stroke. I am grateful to him for his ongoing help so I just can't. But it's really bugging me because I want to call him out for being a ding a ling. Anybody have any helpful advice?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on August 10, 2015, 01:20:49 am
Sometimes you just need to step away from the internet. This is one of those times. That's all there is to it.

Also, you know you can hide him from your feed without unfriending him, right?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 10, 2015, 07:12:05 pm
Yeah, sure I know I can unfollow him, that's kinda my stock in trade for people like him. He's posted bs political stuff before, but this is the first one that was unfollow worthy. He shall be unfollowed.

Probably gonna have to unfollow a bunch of people now that election season is approaching.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 30, 2015, 04:15:42 pm
Update on my crazy roommate: her BF (who she has been dating for only a few months, long distance) is buying a house. She has managed to turn this into "we are buying a house" and is confused about why he got mad at her for calling the realtor. Although obviously this is on him, too, because how complicated and confusing can it be if you say "this is not your house, it is my house, don't interfere in my shit."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 04, 2015, 07:49:34 pm
Update on my crazy roommate: her BF (who she has been dating for only a few months, long distance) is buying a house. She has managed to turn this into "we are buying a house" and is confused about why he got mad at her for calling the realtor. Although obviously this is on him, too, because how complicated and confusing can it be if you say "this is not your house, it is my house, don't interfere in my shit."

How heartbreaking it must be to want something and find it unobtainable.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on September 06, 2015, 10:56:20 pm
Update on my crazy roommate: her BF (who she has been dating for only a few months, long distance) is buying a house. She has managed to turn this into "we are buying a house" and is confused about why he got mad at her for calling the realtor. Although obviously this is on him, too, because how complicated and confusing can it be if you say "this is not your house, it is my house, don't interfere in my shit."

This is not your beautiful house!

You are not my beautiful wife!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on September 06, 2015, 11:47:35 pm
But it is our beautiful Victoria!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 09, 2015, 04:51:17 am
I have started typing variations on telling this long story so many times and basically...

Some weird part of me hopes this annoying fucker from my program does not drop out of my life, because he is an incredible illustration of how you can be really smart but a little too cynical and become part of the problem in a major way. Becoming this guy is one of my nightmare outcomes.

Frankly he might be smarter than me, or at least a clearer and more organized thinker. But if I get to the point of "everyone in this field is a wanker with a savior complex, therefore I give up on ever engaging with the real world in any meaningful way" I hope someone is as rude to me as I want to be to this guy.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on September 09, 2015, 12:18:42 pm
A bad example is a valuable thing to have.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 10, 2015, 09:05:35 pm
Paul posted this picture showing that he was wearing the same shirt a year ago today, but I guessed commenting "9/10 never forget" would be in poor taste.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 14, 2015, 11:58:47 pm
Paul posted this picture showing that he was wearing the same shirt a year ago today, but I guessed commenting "9/10 never forget" would be in poor taste.

And my friend was wearing the same #####. Weird! Or we just need to go shopping, maybe.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 20, 2015, 04:11:28 am
Help me Jesus!

A friend of mine posted this on my Facebook Wall.
(https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/12004935_820473271407293_2805113910145253044_n.jpg?oh=dbad7e56abbacbee74deaaa0356680f4&oe=56A24785)

This was, I suppose, her reasoned response to an earlier conversation we'd had about Barack Obama.

It started when she posted this article (http://conservativepost.com/awesome-man-describes-what-2017-will-be-like-when-barack-obama-is-no-longer-president/) on her Facebook wall.

Then the following exchange occurred:
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/775/20936202703_d203e08221_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 20, 2015, 10:07:27 pm
This obnoxious libertarian-ish dude from college is trying to pick a fight with me once again. It has been years and years since he has done this.

I cannot escape the feeling that I will feel better if I just yell at him a little, but I know that road only leads to suffering.

I reflect a lot lately on how some people seem to thrive on, enjoy, or at least tolerate conflict. My tolerance for conflict is... maybe I'll leave off the 'please' or 'thank you' when interacting with a rude person and feel pumped up about it for the rest of the day.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 21, 2015, 08:51:11 am
I reflect a lot lately on how some people seem to thrive on, enjoy, or at least tolerate conflict. My tolerance for conflict is... maybe I'll leave off the 'please' or 'thank you' when interacting with a rude person and feel pumped up about it for the rest of the day.

Goddamn inev, why we sometimes got to be the same person?  But seriously, like, just chill out out there all you bros and ladies.  I feel like ash probably does this right.  I bet he is pretty chill unless some real shit goes down, then he acts swiftly and strongly.  I think that is the way to be.

We differ in one way though...my first tinder date is this week.  Excited and scared!

Oh, also fuck libertarians (sorry ash).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on September 21, 2015, 02:01:47 pm
Oh, also fuck libertarians (sorry ash).

The problem with libertarians is that they're all libertarians*.   They believe the government should butt out of everything, except for their pet issue.  In a sense, most everyone is a libertarian in that most everyone believes that the power of government should only be used when necessary -- but there's plenty of debate over what is necessary. 
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 21, 2015, 09:30:15 pm
Fuck that, go Bernie.

Oh shit, nice!

This is a change, yes?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on September 22, 2015, 02:53:58 am
Yeah, I'm pretty angry about things. I could say a lot of reasons but mostly I'm just tired of seeing people ground under for just being people.

Asherdan 2020!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on September 22, 2015, 03:40:46 am
Asherdan 2020!

Seconded!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 23, 2015, 05:42:07 am
Crazy roommate told me it's "weird" when I refer to women our age as "women," other roommate looked at her and said "what the fuck are you talking about!?"

I like other roommate a lot. She has questionable taste in friends (ie, first roommate) but she is killing it in the attitude department.

General update: our landlord put out rat traps, and I can't find them. This makes me think I am either going to discover a dead rat at a surprising moment, or discover a rat trap when it breaks one of my toes. Or maybe he only put them in the basement? Hmm.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on September 23, 2015, 11:48:52 am
Crazy roommate told me it's "weird" when I refer to women our age as "women," other roommate looked at her and said "what the fuck are you talking about!?"

How are you supposed to refer to them?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 24, 2015, 01:23:25 pm
Girls? Because that's a thing you should call females who are of age?

"I don't date girls, I date women."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 24, 2015, 01:57:35 pm
yes, she says I should say I am going on a date with "a girl."

in other news, I put my foot in my mouth by talking shit about someone while they were surprisingly within earshot TWICE this week. WTF Dan, come on. Did that super annoying kid from my class hear? Possibly.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on September 24, 2015, 03:12:00 pm
How old does she think counts as a woman? I am sincerely curious.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 24, 2015, 03:45:22 pm
Well, she is 28, so. Somewhere in there.

It's weird because initially I thought we were kidding (about wanting to be considered young) but then she just kept going.

Other recent gems: we got in an argument about whether microwaves can hurt you and/or pregnant women's babies.

I brought up something from class about how more women entering different professions decreased the supply of women trying to be teachers and maybe decreased teacher quality. She reacted to this in an extremely condescending tone as if I had said "huh I never knew women's job opportunities were limited in previous generations."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on September 28, 2015, 07:45:47 pm
Well, she is 28, so. Somewhere in there.

It's weird because initially I thought we were kidding (about wanting to be considered young) but then she just kept going.

Other recent gems: we got in an argument about whether microwaves can hurt you and/or pregnant women's babies.
Well, sure, if you crawl inside the oven when its running.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 30, 2015, 07:53:43 am
Despite assigning us hundreds of pages of reading about how ineffective Community Development Corporations are, and how the things that came before were largely worse, the professor was still surprised when someone in class asked "why are we still doing this stuff if it never works and often makes things worse?"

I like this guy a lot, because I trust people who tell me in intelligent terms how screwed up things are. But I would like to feel like there are good things happening, somewhere. Maybe we just haven't gotten to that part of the class yet. Haha.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 02, 2015, 05:01:33 am
Woman who is leading one of my classes (each semester our second year we have to take one project class where we do pro-bono work for a local town) is driving me nuts. She is really micromanagey but then has attitude about how we are not "taking ownership" of our roles.

Today this: she told me to try to get in touch with developers in the town, and gave me a contact to ask about who I should talk to. I ran into her this morning and she asked and I said I hadn't gotten a response yet. So she went ahead and emailed this nice woman saying "Dan told me you hadn't gotten back to him yet." Yeeesh.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 03, 2015, 07:17:45 pm
Is it bad form to have this kind of thing in a shared document for this project?

Quote
C. Affordable housing/apartment development sources.
    1. Aging in Place (AARP study 2011), help senior residents who are retiring to stay in town/downsize.
    2. Articles about “millennials” needing cheap housing, not buying homes.
    3. Articles about how poor people are actual humans who deserve a home in your shitty town, assholes
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on October 03, 2015, 07:59:24 pm
It depends on the people you are sharing with, I guess.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 03, 2015, 09:44:48 pm
Just the woman who's on my "team." I will change it though. It takes very little for me to feel the thrill of rebellion.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on October 13, 2015, 11:25:19 pm
My racist, homophobic cousin has asked me to like the Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/First-Choice-Repair-Service-262644107131532/timeline/?notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite) for his business. I don't think in good conscious I can like that page. Look at that logo, it's a crime against graphic design.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 21, 2015, 05:43:39 am
Friend was talking today about this rude, awful doctor who told her that if both of her parents were drug addicts and she has mental health problems, she should absolutely not use drugs or drink. everyone was sympathizing about how mean/rude/unhelpful that is.

uh...?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 23, 2016, 06:07:33 pm
Classmate posted this: (https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xal1/v/t1.0-9/12439049_1121661371179933_8639603262285726599_n.jpg?oh=41354eaffb535a6d836f60b55a91097d&oe=5732854F)

with the caption "the bridge I cross to get to school every day in New Jersey."

No, that is a weird canal-side berm (is that the right word?) that is parallel to the river. The bridge you cross is the big concrete and metal thing behind you when you took this picture. What??
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 23, 2016, 11:17:56 pm
Friend was talking today about this rude, awful doctor who told her that if both of her parents were drug addicts and she has mental health problems, she should absolutely not use drugs or drink. everyone was sympathizing about how mean/rude/unhelpful that is.

uh...?

Because giving good, possibly life saving advice is the rudest of the rude.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 23, 2016, 11:21:01 pm
"the bridge I cross to get to school every day in New Jersey."

I can see how that could possibly be mistaken for a bridge. I guess it's too much though that a student in a city planning masters program would know the difference.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 24, 2016, 12:50:42 am
well, mostly, it bugs me because that "bridge" doesn't go anywhere. It connects one part of a park to another part. I can't figure out how he could use that thing to get to school.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 24, 2016, 02:50:27 am
So you think he's lying?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 24, 2016, 03:10:57 am
I think he is posting a picture of this thing and saying he walks on it every day to get facebook likes.

But English is not his first language, so maybe I am just being a dick.

I guess it's also possible he takes it just for fun, then loops around to school.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2016, 02:37:01 am
I'm not sure I'm better off knowing there was a 'loose meat asshole' incident.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on January 31, 2016, 02:44:13 am
I'm not sure I'm better off knowing there was a 'loose meat asshole' incident.

Damn it Paul the hyphen Ash employed in that phrase was vital
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2016, 08:09:45 pm
Damn it Paul the hyphen Ash employed in that phrase was vital

Damn it! I noticed the hyphen after I had hit the post button. I know, I should have fixed it, but I thought I could let it slide this once - it was late. I forgot who I was talking to. I've been corrupted by Facebook. I just saw a friend replay "your welcome" on 4 consecutive post.

Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 03, 2016, 06:51:58 pm
Bewildering: the same person posting an anti-bullying thing, and then a meme saying "If you support Hillary Clinton, you are a traitor to your country!", within 24 hours of each other.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on March 03, 2016, 10:26:58 pm
If you accept the Constitutional definition of treason, and if a traitor is a person who has committed treason, then no, supporters of Hillary Clinton are not traitors. Even if you broaden the definition, you're still way off. But if your defintion of a traitor is something you pulled out Glenn Beck's ass, then you might have a point.

Sometimes the only response is to bang your head against the wall.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 14, 2016, 05:53:55 am
A little fun went down on my Facebook page a few days ago. This started as a comment in response to me posting a photo of myself at the polls voting shirtless.

(https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1671/25749576756_5ce0a6524b_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 14, 2016, 06:00:26 am
Here's another little Facebook battle I was involved in. This one is not as fun because I'm the bad guy, apparently. I'm still not sure if I'm a thoughtless dolt or these women are just a bunch of meanies. I'd like for you guys to help me to figure it out. Anyway, this took place over in the Politichos group and it started with a comment I made about this article (https://medium.com/@laurenbesser/had-bernie-been-bernadette-the-heartbreaking-truth-about-american-patriarchy-ea29caf04331#.5p6nl4pp0).
(https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1588/25149306713_98e5232277_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 14, 2016, 12:34:21 pm
From the first one, that's mostly the same crap over and over, but what I find particularly interesting is when Republican Alan posts a picture of a t-shirt that says "Skilled labor isn't cheap, cheap labor isn't skilled." (Which is something I largely agree with.) I wonder which party he thinks has done more to make sure labor stays cheap? (Well, I can guess what he THINKS, but that's probably different from how things really are. Though on the whole both parties have done their share.)

As for the second one, I'm sure your intentions are good, and as "verbal abuse" goes your comments were pretty mild. On the whole, though, telling a minority group (in this case women) what they should think about an article, no matter how justified you think they may be, is not a great idea.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 14, 2016, 08:42:08 pm
I give up at this point. If anyone tries to engage me about who to vote for in the primaries I change the subject. Anyone I know who is going for Hillary is apparently going to find a way to think I'm being a dick if I disagree with them about it.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 14, 2016, 09:07:22 pm
As for the second one, I'm sure your intentions are good, and as "verbal abuse" goes your comments were pretty mild. On the whole, though, telling a minority group (in this case women) what they should think about an article, no matter how justified you think they may be, is not a great idea.

Here's the deal, I don't think I did that. In fact, It seems to me that the exact opposite took place. I stated my opinion and was attacked for it. What I really want to know is, was I right about the article? Did it, or did it not strongly suggest that the circumstances of this election would be different if Bernie were a woman? I'm not particularly astute, perhaps I got it wrong. Everyone in that thread seems to think so, but they weren't interested in explaining why. They preferred to just throw insults at me instead.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 14, 2016, 09:16:43 pm
I don't think Paul did anything wrong at all and I think voting for a woman because she is a woman is stupid.  If her and Bernie were equal I could see using it as a tie breaker, but they are not.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 15, 2016, 12:05:33 pm
What I really want to know is, was I right about the article? Did it, or did it not strongly suggest that the circumstances of this election would be different if Bernie were a woman?

The article did strongly suggest that, yet. But I don't think that's the point of the article. The point of the article is about the conflict between being a lifelong feminist activist and thinking you should be a Hillary supporter, but actually finding Bernie's positions better overall, though they come with a pile of Bernie Bros and their lousy attitudes towards women.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 15, 2016, 02:59:13 pm
I will say that there can be a very thin line between "mansplaining" and "a man saying something to a woman." The former does happen and is no doubt obnoxious as crap to be on the receiving end of. OTOH, sometimes you're just a guy trying to have a conversation and suddenly you're sexist.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 15, 2016, 04:09:16 pm
the recent "adding 'man-' to the front of things to make them gendered" thing is killing me. Only men take up extra space on public transit? Only men obnoxiously explain things? Give me a break.

Worse, the "mansplaining" thing, half the time, seems to mean "this guy disagreed with me, and tried to explain why." How awful! Someone disagreed with you and explained their reasoning? What horrific oppression!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 15, 2016, 04:19:05 pm
Mansplaining is a very useful concept and I hope people aren't diluting it that way. It should definitely be reserved for cases like the other day when the Technical Staff was telling me how to train the dog.

On the other hand, something I have learned working as a writer is that the thing about communication is that the customer is always right. If the person you are talking to is not hearing your message the way you intended them to, you should always think again about how you are delivering the message.  Maybe that person is so thick that there is no way to get through to them, and you have to recognize when to stop beating your head against a wall. But it's also possible that you need to basically revise and resubmit.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: miles on March 15, 2016, 04:59:52 pm
Anyone interested at all in the concept of mansplaining or contemporary feminism should probably read (or re-read) the (very short) piece that arguably inspired the term:

https://www.guernicamag.com/daily/rebecca-solnit-men-explain-things-to-me/

Solnit didn't coin the term, and doesn't exactly endorse it in the new foreward, but the essay explains why the behavior is more than just socially awkward or even insulting and is quite dangerous when carried to its extreme.

But read it if you haven't, she's smarter and a much better writer than me and does a much better job explaining it.

Also, not to minimize wombat's obviously very valuable contributions to the board,  but it's a fuck*ng shame that JL and sMells apparently have too much going on in their real lives right now to be posting because we'd really benefit from their unique views on the subject. A shame for us, but hopefully wonderful for them.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on March 15, 2016, 05:08:26 pm
Do you know what you call a person who treats another person badly because of the way they were born?

An asshole.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on March 15, 2016, 06:30:15 pm
Yes, I am sure that the more specific use describes a thing that happens. But I constantly see people using it in a way like "a man tried to explain a thing."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 15, 2016, 07:23:29 pm
Also, not to minimize wombat's obviously very valuable contributions to the board,  but it's a fuck*ng shame that JL and sMells apparently have too much going on in their real lives right now to be posting because we'd really benefit from their unique views on the subject. A shame for us, but hopefully wonderful for them.

1000x this.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2016, 10:38:46 pm
OTOH, sometimes you're just a guy trying to have a conversation and suddenly you're sexist.

I know, right. You just can't win with these bitches.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 16, 2016, 04:44:57 pm
1000x this.

Yeah, it's lonely sometimes.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 18, 2016, 09:28:05 am
Well It seems that Smells is enjoying being a mother. And I hope that JL is enjoying having more sex than all of us.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 18, 2016, 06:11:05 pm
QFT
It's sad because I do think I could add value to feminist conversations, but apparently I'm not only unwanted, I'm a better strawman and whipping boy.
I will say that there can be a very thin line between "mansplaining" and "a man saying something to a woman." The former does happen and is no doubt obnoxious as crap to be on the receiving end of. OTOH, sometimes you're just a guy trying to have a conversation and suddenly you're sexist.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on March 18, 2016, 06:51:53 pm
Yeah, sucks to have your input devalued just because of your gender, huh? A few centuries of that, and you might find yourself being a little hypersensitive too.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 18, 2016, 07:04:34 pm
Yeah, sucks to have your input devalued just because of your gender, huh? A few centuries of that, and you might find yourself being a little hypersensitive too.

ZING!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on March 18, 2016, 08:28:23 pm
Et tu, Wombat?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on March 28, 2016, 02:23:19 am
Spent the day with my parents yesterday. That's a really long story, but here's one snippet that is interesting. At one point I was privy to my dad expounding on when Jesus was crucified. It's something I've heard a few times before. He postulates that he must have been buried on Thursday because he was in the tomb and was risen on Sunday. This is controversial because conventional wisdom has him buried during Passover (Friday). I offered that maybe it was like Hendrix at Woodstock who was scheduled to play on Sunday, but didn't actually go on until Monday morning. Not sure this was really received that well. My folks, especially my dad are super touchy about anything they perceive as mocking their religion.

The whole thing though in a weird way kinda reminded me of this Louis CK stand up routine where he's arguing with his wife over where to look for their daughter in a game of hide and go seek when she's hiding in plain sight. At least that's how it felt to me, trying to play along while thinking, how about none of the above because it never happened at all.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2016, 05:33:23 am
(https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1530/25945347070_a2cfc52e54_b.jpg)

I went to a Gospel Singing with my parents on Saturday. At the midpoint of the show they stopped the singing and each of the three acts took turns promoting their merchandise. They took up about 15 minutes of the show with this. I'd never seen anything so shameless. It was KISS level huckstering. These two items were among the products on offer by the headliners Legacy 5.

I won't even go into how antagonistic that t-shirt is. I'll just let it stand on it's own. I will say that they know it's antagonistic because they said "If you want to see people turn and walk the other way wear this shirt."

But that Bible though. The leader of Legacy 5, Scott Fowler said he made a deal with the publisher. To get the price down he had to purchase 6,000 copies, so naturally he was really pushing that particular item extra hard.

It's called the American Patriot Bible because for some reason it contains quotes and biographies from the Founding Fathers of the  United States. It's purpose is to foster the idea that America is a Christian country, to try and tear down the wall separating Church and State. There is a strain of Christianity that hates the fact that their discredited ideas are losing ground with the American public, particularly where LGBT rights are concerned.

I love gospel singing and was really enjoying the performance, all three of the groups were fantastic singers. The voices and the harmonies filled me with gladness. Then Scott Fowler, the leader of Legacy 5, the headliners, stopped the show to talk. This was before even the intermission infomercial. He wanted to tell us a story which involved he and his wife's decision to pull their children out of public school and and home school them instead. He gave as his primary reason that they no longer teach the children anything about the Constitution, or the founding fathers, particularly, their Christian faith. Then he pulled out this Bible which he uses to educate his kids. He cited as an example Patrick Henry. He quoted from the book

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ!"

While sitting in the Pews I Googled this phrase. Turns out it's fake (http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2009/07/03/fake-patrick-henry-quote-found/).

After that I found it very difficult to enjoy the music.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on April 04, 2016, 01:06:04 pm
"Christians" like this just baffle me.  Jesus was all about loving everybody, nnn-kay.  These folks are about as loving as a barbed wire hand grenade.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2016, 03:14:21 pm
These folks are about as loving as a barbed wire hand grenade.

And what they want for this country would destroy us. Separation of Church and State is the absolute genius of our founding fathers. If America were to become a Christian Nation as these people fantasize about, do they think that everyone outside of Christianity is going to just take it lying down? It's insanity.

But the reason I posted this here in the Shit my _____ says thread is because they've apparently created a Bible filled with forwarded emails from your right wing racist uncle.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 04, 2016, 04:18:31 pm
"Christians" like this just baffle me.  Jesus was all about loving everybody, nnn-kay.  These folks are about as loving as a barbed wire hand grenade.

It seems like there are a lot of Christians who would think Jesus was a wimp and a hippie, if they really met him.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2016, 06:19:52 pm
I don't think I would like that stuff much were I trapped there. I might chew off up to two of my appendages to escape, now that I think on it.

I certainly get that. The thing is, I really enjoy that type of music and nobody else is doing it. And they won't even be doing it for much longer actually. My parents are pushing 80 and most of the audience was their age or older. There were very few people as young as me. And I was enjoying it very much until he stopped singing and started talking.

I suppose I could get into barbershop quartets. When I was a kid we used to go to barbershop quartet concerts. A business associate of my dad's was in the Houston Tidelanders (http://www.houstontidelanders.org/). He was even a member of SPEBESQSA (Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America). Two problems. First, I love the singing on it's own, but it's infinitely better when it's done with instrumental accompaniment. Second, and this is the bigger problem, is that Barbershop music is driven by contest. This means that music has taken a backseat and every single goddamn Barbershop Quartet performance in America is designed to impress the judges. Hey, look how high we can sing this note. Or how low. Or how long we can hold it. It's madness.

The Gospel music crowd sings for the sake of the song, and they have music accompaniment. Although, at this performance the music was on tape which is a whole other problem for me. To me having pre-recorded music makes it glorified karaoke. Fuck, there's just not a lot of outs. But I love the music so much I was willing to forgive these problems and potential pitfalls.

Thing is, when (https://youtu.be/PV97roslmt0) it's done (https://youtu.be/j7dPLsgioig) right (https://youtu.be/lW0YGC68qP4), it's absolutely (https://youtu.be/PV97roslmt0) magical (https://youtu.be/kijpcUv-b8M).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2016, 09:22:53 pm
Man, I used to be Nugent's biggest fan. fortunately, I suppose in retrospect, his music got stupid silly long before he became the biggest douche on the planet and I had long abandoned him by that time.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 05, 2016, 04:20:30 pm
Sometimes it's sad when you're a fan of someone whose career seems to end prematurely. And sometimes it's just as sad when it goes on for too long.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 04, 2016, 05:34:01 pm
Quote from: boss
Yes, I'll be your job reference if you promise never to write "alright" again.

Quote from: inev
Oh no, I've been alwrong this whole time :-o !

Meanwhile, personally annoyed that coworkers all consistently write "healthy food" so I guess we all have our own pedantic cross to bear.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 09, 2016, 06:45:16 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 09, 2016, 06:52:49 pm
I feel like I have learned weird things about society based on who calls me "sir" depending on which clothes I am wearing. Frankly, nobody should ever call me sir.

(top moment though: very old black man called me "sir," I squirmed, with a glint in his eye he said "you don't like when I call you sir, do you? Have a nice day sir.")
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on May 09, 2016, 07:00:19 pm
I have to admit that at the time I did think it proved that Americans believe that any man, no matter his other undesirable qualities, is more qualified to be president than a woman.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on May 09, 2016, 09:23:52 pm
It's like a cruel joke that our first real opportunity to vote for a woman president the candidate is so odorous that most people can't stand her.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 10, 2016, 02:54:49 am
I think what's annoying about the thing Ash shared is that it sees privilege/oppression/whatever you want to call it as linear. One person must be more or less oppressed than the other, like you can simply do the math and solve the equation. But the whole POINT of that kind of analysis, at least as far as I've always understood it, is that these forms of power and privilege are variable. There can be one situation where the white woman has it worse, another where the black man has it worse. You don't even need to get into weird hypothetical situations to demonstrate this-- black men legally got the right to vote before any women did, while also facing Jim Crow etc.

I also think there's something to the idea that some of the things people don't like about HRC are things she has done due to the pressures of being a female politician. Men can get away with seeming more angry and disheveled, people would judge HRC if she just showed up in baggy-ass suits like Bernie, etc. Maybe that also explains her hawkish foreign policy, having a history of being "tough on crime," other things that she has done to seem powerful and not "girly".
But IMO, there's a difference between understanding why someone has turned out a certain way, and supporting it. Some people are not-great because of the pressures of our fucked up society... but other people survive those pressures in other ways. I know far too many strong, intelligent women to believe that HRC is the best a woman can do, that all of her flaws are the inevitable result of surviving decades as a woman in politics. I know that if I had to pick someone I know personally to be president it would almost certainly be a woman... maybe guys in my generation just suck. That said, HRC is clearly going to be the next president. And I'll vote for her 100 times before I see Trump in the White House.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on May 10, 2016, 05:11:44 am
I also think there's something to the idea that some of the things people don't like about HRC are things she has done due to the pressures of being a female politician. Men can get away with seeming more angry and disheveled, people would judge HRC if she just showed up in baggy-ass suits like Bernie, etc. Maybe that also explains her hawkish foreign policy, having a history of being "tough on crime," other things that she has done to seem powerful and not "girly".

But IMO, there's a difference between understanding why someone has turned out a certain way, and supporting it. Some people are not-great because of the pressures of our fucked up society... but other people survive those pressures in other ways. I know far too many strong, intelligent women to believe that HRC is the best a woman can do, that all of her flaws are the inevitable result of surviving decades as a woman in politics. I know that if I had to pick someone I know personally to be president it would almost certainly be a woman... maybe guys in my generation just suck. That said, HRC is clearly going to be the next president. And I'll vote for her 100 times before I see Trump in the White House.

I don't take any responsibility for whatever crucible that has shaped HRC as a politician. I just know that it has shaped her into a politician that I can't stand for reasons that has nothing to do with her gender. I may in fact vote for a woman, Jill Stein. I voted 3 times to elect an openly gay woman as mayor of Houston. But I'm through voting for the lesser of two evils.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 12, 2016, 08:31:19 pm
I keep typing out a complaint about petty classwork shit that should have been done a week ago. But I'll just say, it seems like some classmates got through all of high school, college, and graduate school without learning how to write a research paper with citations.

This is the class where I didn't finish my assigned shit, though, so I am fixing the citations without complaining (to them) and hoping everyone forgets that I didn't ever do most of that stuff.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on May 12, 2016, 11:27:17 pm
I am concerned that there may be a problem with your strategy. If they don't know their citations are wrong and you don't complain that you are fixing them, will they even notice you did it? Because if not how are you going to get credit for at least doing that instead of the stuff you should have done?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on May 25, 2016, 08:28:43 pm
My Christian sister posted this video (https://youtu.be/CAyViQbhYgI) on her Facebook. To me it doesn't paint Christians in a very favorable light. I can't decide if the comedian is trying to do to Christians what Stephen Colbert does to Republicans.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on May 29, 2016, 08:26:35 pm
A friend asked me to like her new page Intuitive Consulting by LOIS (https://www.facebook.com/Intuitive-Consulting-by-LOIS-502847693257679/). I don't really have anything to say about this really except this is a new term for psychic. There seems to be some disconnect here. She must think the term psychic has a bad name, but the term psychic has always had a bad name. Living in the Trump era it's plainly evident that gullibility is at an all time high so why change the name now?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on May 29, 2016, 08:32:36 pm
My dad shared this meme on Facebook yesterday. Long story short, I called him a jerk, my sister told me off then we both deleted our comments. So I called my dad to apologize. I kinda had hoped that by apologizing for calling him a jerk he would at least admit that yeah, it was a jerky thing to post, but he didn't see it that way. PS, they're throwing their hat in with Trump. *Sigh*

(http://www.thesoapboxcorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Female_Army_Rangers-Caitlyn_Jenner_Meme.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 30, 2016, 01:10:04 am
The other day this woman I knew from my job in St Louis posted this bizarre meme about how people need to learn to talk less. It listed times when it's not worth talking and you should keep it to yourself-- talking about your problems, talking about your relationships, talking about your accomplishments, and a whole lot of other ones.

This woman is a singer-songwriter. I have not heard her music but now I'm wondering what she sings about. Maybe it's all like "Party in the USA."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on May 30, 2016, 04:24:41 am
The other day this woman I knew from my job in St Louis posted this bizarre meme about how people need to learn to talk less. It listed times when it's not worth talking and you should keep it to yourself-- talking about your problems, talking about your relationships, talking about your accomplishments, and a whole lot of other ones.

This woman is a singer-songwriter. I have not heard her music but now I'm wondering what she sings about. Maybe it's all like "Party in the USA."

Well I definitely shouldn't call my dad on his bullshit because clearly it's not having the desired effect of making him reconsider his opinions. Truth is, I keep doing it because I'm embarrassed by many of his deeply held beliefs and I even have to question his intellect, especially if he's supporting Trump now.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 30, 2016, 04:21:04 pm
I guess I should count my blessings that my family are only sending me pro-hillary/anti-bernie memes.

When they were here for graduation I was really struck by the weird balance in my family: all people who love antagonizing each other but can't take the heat when it's their turn.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 21, 2016, 09:35:53 pm
I don't know much about China, or even what era Confucius lived in, but I am pretty sure he didn't say "Find a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life." Thanks, Rutgers Career Services.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on June 21, 2016, 10:28:00 pm
You're probably right (http://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/09/02/job-love/)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 21, 2016, 10:46:44 pm
One hint is that people in pre-modern times did not really "find a job"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on June 21, 2016, 10:55:43 pm
Ugh. Great research skills you are demonstrating to the students, Rutgers Career Services. And that's not even getting started on whether that is actually a useful piece of advice.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 22, 2016, 03:47:56 am
To bring things full circle, my bad roommate works there.

(also the good roommate, but I can't hold this against her.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 22, 2016, 05:36:47 pm
This is probably sibling-universal, but my sister still has a major chip on her shoulder about me being "condescending" to her when I was 18 and she was 10.

Things she does not believe me about this week:
- we should get to the airport at LEAST 2 hours early for our flight to Italy, if not three
- reinstalling the OS from scratch after backing up her files could probably help her glitchy and slow computer
- no, I really would not care about/respect Kim Kardashian if I were a woman, even a 20 year old one
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on June 22, 2016, 06:36:59 pm
Hmm, that is a tough one, because couldn't you define "condescending" basically as talking to someone like they're a ten year old?

I've always gotten to the airport three hours early for Japan. And that was before all the news that's been going around about long security lines this summer.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 22, 2016, 06:55:41 pm
(updated: she is leaving work at a time that should get her to the airport 2-3 hours earlier depending on what travel time we trust)

It does not help that 20 years old is an age where she knows a lot about some things, and then will surprise me by not knowing how to cut an onion. I definitely did not know how to cut an onion when I was 20, but she bakes really complicated stuff, so I assumed she knew basic cooking skills.

But I think in general I struggle with the correct tone when I'm not sure whether someone knows something or not.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2016, 04:36:44 am
A lot of people are making a lot of really good points in this thread. I'm just happy the board is back up. Cans for everybody.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 27, 2016, 03:33:17 pm
Update: she made it on time. Barely. I was basically shitting myself and then she breezed up and said she couldn't believe I was so worried. Later she divulged that basically everything went wrong on her trip and she made it by the skin of her teeth.

Shit my family says: all of it. I just need them to all chill. It's vacation. They do this one thing that I know is coming from a caring place where they constantly ask me negative questions. "Wasn't your dinner too small? Are you still hungry? Are you disappointed, should you have ordered something else?" It's bizarre. I am trying to enjoy myself and relax and they want me to complain.
But overall, trip rules so far.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 16, 2016, 02:39:15 pm
I have always felt immature teen-level frustration about my family members "that isn't art!" comments in art museums. But now that I have what I thought I wanted it feels maybe worse. My mom looks at a weird painting and says "hmm, I don't think I get this one. I guess I just don't know much about art."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 16, 2016, 03:10:35 pm
I have always felt immature teen-level frustration about my family members "that isn't art!" comments in art museums.

Yeah, but fuckin' Rothko! Fuck that guy!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 16, 2016, 03:36:45 pm
She liked Rothko, actually.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 16, 2016, 03:41:44 pm
Well BOO TO THAT. I literally gave a Rothko painting the finger in the Milwaukee Art Museum on Saturday.


(I was drunk.)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on August 16, 2016, 04:00:42 pm
So drunk that you didn't think to have a photo taken?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 16, 2016, 04:55:44 pm
Not with the Rothko, but I did get this:
(https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8232/28406332274_2632fa0597_z.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/KhaSVy)that's me (https://flic.kr/p/KhaSVy) by Carlos del Vaca (https://www.flickr.com/photos/bigfool/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on August 17, 2016, 02:50:00 am
Well BOO TO THAT. I literally gave a Rothko painting the finger in the Milwaukee Art Museum on Saturday.


(I was drunk.)

And now they're rioting in the streets.  I hope you're happy Mister.  See what happens when you modern art hatin' philistines are allowed to roam free?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 17, 2016, 04:34:00 am
I have never cared about art.  I went to a lot of free museums right when I got to LA, including a pop art moca exhibit.  I don't think I had ever heard of rothko.  I fuck*ng loved Rothko.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 24, 2016, 04:01:51 am
Yeah, but fuckin' Rothko! Fuck that guy!

I like Rothko too. Not his paintings so much, but he built this chapel here in Houston. It's pretty amazing.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 25, 2016, 07:57:15 pm
One last brush with the horrible old roommate: she CCed the other two of us in a really aggressive email asking why our security deposits have not been returned yet, citing NJ law. Would it have killed you to start out by just asking firmly but politely?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 31, 2016, 08:48:30 pm
Just got a good response to a job application!

...

So if I want to continue seeking this job on the opposite coast, in competition with 300 people for one of three spots, I can fly over there on my own dime to take an exam to advance to the next round.

Yikes. No thanks.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 01, 2016, 12:29:11 am
Psssh, Evel Kinevil would give it the old college try.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 01, 2016, 01:12:29 am
Evel Knieval can pay for my plane ticket if he wants.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 01, 2016, 01:35:27 am
He could too.  There's good money in daredevlin'.

(We both spelled his name wrong?  It's Evel Knievel?)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 01, 2016, 01:42:46 am
Also I was mainly talking about the hoop being tall and small.  Don't do that, that is fuck*ng stupid.  Unless it is in LA?  LA is great, you want to live there.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 01, 2016, 02:49:53 am
Psssh, Evel Kinevil would give it the old college try.

Goddamn right!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 01, 2016, 03:49:44 am
(We both spelled his name wrong?  It's Evel Knievel?)

When I first came to live in Houston (age 7) there were billboards everywhere announcing a big jump in the Astrodome by Evel Knievel. I was just begining to master reading at that age and that name perplexed me. Finally I asked my dad "Is his name Evel (rhymes with level)." He said he didn't know.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 01, 2016, 05:10:08 pm
It's in Berkeley. I want to live there but no way.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on September 01, 2016, 07:57:22 pm
There really aren't any homeless in Berkeley, they're just East Coasters who couldn't recover from the culture and sticker shock.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 02, 2016, 07:39:26 am
Damn, I think he's saying you couldn't handle the best coast and its best to just stay in philly.

Cold jay dub, cold.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 04, 2016, 10:41:37 am
Given the choice between Philly and Berkley I think I'd probably choose Berkley, but neither of those places sounds appealing to me. Maybe when I was younger.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on September 05, 2016, 05:38:18 pm
Not-my-boss was given access to all of our google docs and has put a bunch of comments on my stuff. Right now I'm working on a 2-page handout for the partici##### in a community meeting. In one line I said something like "when problems arise in the neighborhood, community members should try to agree on goals before making a plan of action." She highlighted it and wrote that I need to explain how to do that.

Am I overthinking this? If I knew how people could decide on shared goals and plans of action, I would not be a part-time research assistant. There are entire fields that study that. And isn't that kind of the point of having a community meeting? For people to discuss the issue and then make decisions together? Does she want me to list "they could vote, or reach consensus, or a leader could decide, or they could draw lots, or they could vote for a leader to decide, or they could engage in combat until a victor emerged."

I know I'm overthinking it. Ugh.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on September 06, 2016, 01:32:57 am
Are you required to respond to her notes? I say ignore her.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 01, 2016, 03:29:45 pm
A lot of NYC roommate ads specify that they want someone "busy" or "not a homebody." What is going on there?

Also a lot of people feel the need to specify that they're never home, which could be related, or else could just be people bragging about how hardworking and special they are.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 01, 2016, 04:52:26 pm
A lot of NYC roommate ads specify that they want someone "busy" or "not a homebody." What is going on there?

Also a lot of people feel the need to specify that they're never home, which could be related, or else could just be people bragging about how hardworking and special they are.
Definitely related. If you're not home, you're not using the apartment as much. You're not using electricity, common areas, not third wheeling, etc.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 01, 2016, 04:57:16 pm
That doesn't make sense to me. If I was home all the time I'd want a roommate who was never there, sure. But if I was out all the time, who cares?

Either way though that is a bizarre thing to ask for. You can rent the apartment as long as you don't actually live there much? WTF.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 01, 2016, 05:38:15 pm
That doesn't make sense to me. If I was home all the time I'd want a roommate who was never there, sure. But if I was out all the time, who cares?

Either way though that is a bizarre thing to ask for. You can rent the apartment as long as you don't actually live there much? WTF.
Totally agree.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 01, 2016, 09:31:01 pm
Tempting.

There is a certain category of roommate complaint that I have no interest in accommodating. The old roommate complaining every time I cooked onions was one. This is a new one. Sorry that I might spend time in the place I'm paying to live in. If you want to give me some of your salary to go out more often, then I might be willing to change my lifestyle.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 03, 2016, 07:08:50 pm
I wonder if the reason nobody's responding to my inquiries is the line in the email where I insist on spending time in my own home.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 03, 2016, 08:56:12 pm
Seriously, I lived with roommates and I remember how peculiar the selection process could be, but nothing was as weird as someone who said they wanted the roommates not to be home a lot. And that includes the roommate we interviewed who was studying piano tuning and wanted to move pianos in and out of the apartment every few weeks. And the one who, when my friend said was it OK that she had a cat, the guy who asked "Does it move a lot?"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 04, 2016, 07:48:44 am
I vote Inev contacts one he's not very interested in and asks them the WTF is up with that question.

This must happen.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 04, 2016, 02:32:38 pm
After visiting a few places I think it's just that everyone here is an uptight overworked yuppie.

Saw one place that's pretty perfect, but so tiny. 4 bedrooms and the only common space is a small kitchen/living room combo. But it's a corner building so that small room has tons of windows and is pretty pleasant. I guess I can see how it would feel claustrophobic living there if someone were like, sitting in the living room at all times. The woman moving out texted me that they "loved" me so I guess I did a good job of seeming like I won't be around too much.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 04, 2016, 05:22:36 pm
At least you'll never have to worry about a piano tuner wanting to move in.

Where is it?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 04, 2016, 05:52:22 pm
In Crown Heights, about 3/4 of a mile from prospect park. The roommate who I talked to the most said she's lived in Brooklyn for 10 years and this is her favorite apartment so far. So I'm pretty hyped.

The third roommate is a mystery. The 2nd roommate is a finance dude who seems to think he's really down to earth for moving to Brooklyn, so maybe I'll have fodder for this thread in the near future.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 04, 2016, 06:25:18 pm
I think it's at least a couple of decades too late for "down to earth for moving to Brooklyn."
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on November 06, 2016, 11:01:53 am
Satire is dead.

(https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5644/30510209360_f444008128_b.jpg)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 06, 2016, 07:41:06 pm
My mom added me to some weird "secret" pro-Hillary facebook group. I looked at it and it was just an endless feed of people saying "just voted! make sure you vote for her! vote early, lines might be long!" so I left the group. Now she texted me asking why I left the group.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: jaydub on November 07, 2016, 11:38:14 pm
"Because I don't like boring crap on my timeline that will be irrelevant in 24 hours" ?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on November 14, 2016, 08:12:53 pm
The boy I had a crush on in grade school just sent me a friend request on Facebook. I should perhaps mention that I am in touch with absolutely no one I know from grade school and am cut off from most of my relatives as well. We have no mutual friends. I mean WTF. He only has 20 friends although his account goes back to 2011, and I don't see any timeline posts (they could be hidden) but I am almost inclined to accept the request because of his four photos, one is a terrible snapshot of two pugs.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 16, 2016, 07:18:52 pm
Classic stupid behavior by me: I messed up a step in the application process for this apartment, and then mildly lied about it to the woman whose lease I'm taking over. I was embarrassed and believed I had fixed the problem so I didn't think it would be an issue. But now the problem is not resolved, and I'm at the juncture where I can either keep trying to fix this while misleading her, or admit that I lied for no reason.

I think I solved the problem by sending a new check next-day priority mail so hopefully it's resolved. But yeesh, why did that dumb lie come out of my mouth. I need to work on the impulse to tell people what they want to hear.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Doc on December 05, 2016, 01:05:24 pm
I need to work on the impulse to tell people what they want to hear.

This is something I too need to work on, because in the real world people want information so they can make decisions not just because they want to hear things that make them feel good.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on December 05, 2016, 06:21:05 pm

Most of the time you can toss a little compassion on top of your Jack Webb and it comes out alrighty.


This is so very true.  You have to be good cop and bad cop at the same time.  My real-life worky job requires me to be a pretty hardass heavy sometimes.  OK most of the time.  Almost always.  But you have to play those cards with tact and empathy if you want to be effective, or sleep at night.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on December 06, 2016, 12:02:24 am
Mostly I'm just so averse to conflict that I'll lie about any tiny thing rather than ask anyone to accommodate me in any way. Even when they're asking me explicitly what I want. I can't figure out where this comes from.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 12, 2017, 12:20:25 am
Witnessing a really exciting facebook interchange right now. This guy's sister is lost and her phone died, so she is somehow posting on his facebook wall asking where he is and how to get there. But she's posting a new post for each message, mere minutes apart, and also being really rude to him. Is this some kind of gag?

"No offense to your idiot friends reading this, but where the FUCK are you!?"

I guess if I had a sister like this I could have ended up like this guy.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on January 12, 2017, 12:34:46 am
Is he not responding?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 12, 2017, 01:26:37 am
It seemed like he was responding. Bizarre.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on January 22, 2017, 05:50:47 am
Real good one: pakistani-american classmate posted a thing about his mixed feelings about Obama, who did some great stuff but also has killer *****s flying over his family's home country and blowing people up.

Crazed other classmate wrote a response about how "left wingers always let the perfect be the enemy of the good," and this is why Trump won. PS, everyone needs to stop blaming Hillary for anything she's ever done, or for losing, because it none of it is "fundamentally her fault."

Yeesh.

On the flip side, at a protest on Friday a guy came up to me and my friend and started picking a fight with us about my friend's socialist sign. But it's not what you might think, the guy was mad that it was socialist and not fully revolutionary communist. He kept making weird historical comparisons and when we said that those comparisons did not mean anything, he said we were idiots, only interested in politics for "fashion," and not interested in learning from history. Ugh fuck off dude.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 22, 2017, 03:42:24 pm
There's a good eight or ten reasons why Hillary lost, and IMO no single one stands out. But yeah, the tendency of liberals of all stripes to interrupt discussions with "What about MY issue?" is kind of annoying. Which isn't to say that those issues aren't important or shouldn't be addressed. But you don't see NRA types busting into an anti-abortion rally shouting "What about the Second Amendment?!?" They know they'll have their moment, and the rest of the base will have their back.
(Did I post this already? I feel like I posted this already.)

I do think Obama's terms were largely good, but Rany Jazayerli's piece about Obama's legacy (or lack thereof) in Syria is haunting.
https://theringer.com/syria-barack-obama-legacy-853644abdd1b#.vkxkq364p
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 09, 2017, 11:16:58 pm
My shitty roommate is on a streak of having loud phone conversations in our living room where he gloats about how funny it was when he was rude to/angry at a service industry person.

He is moving out and is telling his dad on the phone that he's mad that the office lady at his new place isn't treating him like he thinks he should be treated as a Fancy Rich Wall Street Guy.

The other day he got in a verbal altercation with a cop and the cop had his car towed. That made me pretty happy. He had to spend all day going to get it in the rain.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on February 11, 2017, 12:50:31 am
The other day he got in a verbal altercation with a cop and the cop had his car towed. That made me pretty happy. He had to spend all day going to get it in the rain.

White Privilege can only take you so far.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on February 22, 2017, 12:38:05 am
HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU BE A PERSON WHO SETS UP A COMPLICATED SCHEME TO AVOID TAXES, AND THEN GET ENRAGED WHEN YOUR TAX RETURN IS LATE COMING BECAUSE YOU FUCKED UP THE FORM???

i want bad things to happen to this man. the good news is he seems pretty good at bringing them on himself (see above post about his car getting towed)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 18, 2017, 03:43:59 am
I really like my roommate Angela. She told me about a letter her grandma sent her thanking her for a birthday present, where she said "now I know why you are named
ANGELA!"

That is very sweet but now every time she does something nice I want to say something dumb about her name. Hove some dignity Inev.

(Also not hoving dignity: I am still emulating the Hoveing of Dignity joke which happened before I joined the board, even though I have been posting here for over 10 years. Just a baby who wants to belong at heart)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on May 30, 2017, 10:44:09 pm
One of my roommates has mentioned to me like 3 times that "we need to mail the new lease to the landlord." I wasn't sure why he kept mentioning this until today, when I realized it hadn't been mailed bc he was waiting for me to do it. What?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 01, 2017, 03:53:02 am
People who swap WE and YOU piss me off to no end. Just tell a dude you want him to do a thing already.

Preach. I often say "And by 'we,' do you mean me?"
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on June 16, 2017, 03:58:52 am
Just flashed back, for some reason, to one of the great self-trolls in history.

This friend of my ex was teasing her about calling her dad to ask for money, and said something about her having "daddy issues." I said, well, if you think it's some kind of oedipal minefield for a college student to ask for money, maybe you're the one with the daddy issues.

She stormed off, it turns out she had daddy issues. My ex was very upset with me about this.

(not like, abuse issues, her dad was just a jerk and she became attracted to mean father figures)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 19, 2017, 12:05:38 am
At this point I think you can forget the guilt of hurting these people and begin to take pride in the fact of how hard you burned this bitch. That was laser guided, man. Cold as Ice. Good Job!
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 19, 2017, 10:42:34 pm
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4264/35026849590_b0708813df_o.jpg)

Some people will believe anything. In this case those people include Tom Waits and Robbie Robertson (http://www.snopes.com/critters/gnus/cricketsong.asp).
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 21, 2017, 02:43:20 am
Is that...is that disproven though?  I kinda want to try to do it myself now.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on June 21, 2017, 04:01:18 am
Is that...is that disproven though?

I think the consensus is that it's probably cricket sounds, but they've been manipulated to sound like a choir. This article (http://wafflesatnoon.com/gods-cricket-chorus/) has a sound file of what it actually sounds like when you slow down a cricket chirp.

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on June 21, 2017, 02:53:48 pm
Eh, too bad.  I thought it sounded cool.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on October 02, 2017, 12:31:14 am
My friend's GF was giving us shit about our "socialist club" being a glorified social circle, and he started arguing back from a majorly weak position "well ok, sure, it's mostly about throwing parties and going out for drinks, BUT" and I just cut him off right there. This week a local immigrant organization is having a day of education and resource sharing (like helping people fill out forms, helping kids apply for DACA before it expires, informing people about their rights as documented or undocumented immigrants, etc) and my group is bringing 88 volunteers. It's so many people that they are scrambling to come up with more activities to fill the day. Not our fault you only show up to the happy hours, dude.

(there are like 100 criticisms I would accept about the group but "all you do is throw parties" is not one of them, that is just not true)

also, I am learning something about myself. I like being given responsibility, but I do not like being in charge of people. I would really like for the "activism/volunteering" part of my life to be something where I can kind of turn my higher brain off and put in some sweat.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 15, 2017, 12:59:31 am
For some reason i have permanently crossed my wires and always think prima (cousin) is novia (girlfriend). This keeps resulting in Rude Moments by yours truly.

They don’t even say “novia” in Chile! They say “polola” which i think is very cute.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on November 16, 2017, 12:03:04 pm
“Jesus, so, are we the only normal people in this family?”
My grandpa: “well, hm, Daniel, i would say, for example... well your mother’s cousin... yes. To your question, yes.”
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on December 02, 2017, 04:09:54 am
“polola”

Very cute.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 20, 2018, 02:41:31 am
our socialist org has a local convention next month and I am running to be a delegate. Our branch is the biggest in the city (over 1000 members last I checked) so we get like 60 reps. There was a thread of "who to vote for that you might not personally know" and this woman said maybe the 2nd best compliment I've ever gotten. She said "vote for [theinevitable], he does a ton of work and nobody knows because he isn't bossy and doesn't have an ego about it." As a major over-talker this is a characteristic I have really tried to cultivate.

On the other hand, literally everyone except me voted for a new "branch priority" that the urban planner in me cannot get entirely behind. And so lately I am flaking because my heart is not in it. (Also, spending time with the GF or hibernating instead of going to really long meetings). This is the downside of trying to be a follower.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 21, 2018, 06:56:52 pm
if someone is a journalist and you two are in contact about your job for an interview

it is not a date
they do not want you to ask them out
they do not want to flirt
they do not want you to text them at 1am asking "r u up, what r u up to haha"

they are just trying to do their job.

Come on dude.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 22, 2018, 06:49:17 pm
if someone is a journalist and you two are in contact about your job for an interview

it is not a date
they do not want you to ask them out
they do not want to flirt
they do not want you to text them at 1am asking "r u up, what r u up to haha"

they are just trying to do their job.

Come on dude.

Is this self talk helping?
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on April 22, 2018, 07:22:27 pm
(The gf is a journalist, if this helps explain)
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on April 22, 2018, 08:59:08 pm
Holy shit if a source texted me anything at 1 am I'd call the cops. Wtf is the matter with people men.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on April 23, 2018, 03:24:52 am
(The gf is a journalist, if this helps explain)

It does because the "r u up, what r u up to haha" did not sound like you.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: theinevitable on August 06, 2018, 03:43:34 am
I am looking for some very minor jewelry for my GF's birthday. Like a very simple necklace. For some reason everything I kind of like on etsy is labeled "dainty" and that word is killing me. I just want a little silver item for my girlfriend, not like, a frilly lace garment for a victorian lady.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 15, 2018, 06:00:37 pm
If you read the statement "Pi has died and gone to heaven. Today he gets steak night leftovers. I can hear him chomping out in the yard as I type this." accompanied by a photo and a video of Pi eating a steak bone would you mistakenly think that Pi had died? What if 10 minutes later you added "Disclaimer: Pi is not literally dead. It’s a figure of speech. It means he is ecstatic because he’s eating STEAK." to the statement. Would you still mistakenly think that Pi had died? Because that's what's going on on my Facebook wall right now.

Maybe I need to amend the statement again. If I change it to "It's like Pi has died and gone to heaven..." do you think it will help?

Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: wombat on August 15, 2018, 07:41:29 pm
When I read that I had like 50 milliseconds of panic - only exactly as long as it took to get to the second sentence. It's inexplicable that anyone could read the whole post, even before the edit, and be unclear what it meant. It makes me despair as a writer - god knows how few people actually understand my carefully composed articles.

It's probably also an effect of the context though - not only is Facebook a place on the internet that is not peopled by the cream of the crop, also, it feels to me like there's a whole lot of announcements of dead dogs there. But still, once you read the whole thing, WTF.

But yeah, the "it's like" would help. Although Ash has a point, too.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: pmcd9 on August 16, 2018, 06:33:40 pm
But yeah, the "it's like" would help. Although Ash has a point, too.

I chose to clarify my post, but now I think I should have left it alone. My expectation, my hope that people would share with me my joy at seeing Pi's eyes light up when I handed him a huge juicy steak bone is now lost anyway. You may have noticed Alohadawg in there chastising me for my poor choice of words. I think he is sore because I like to give him shit over the Cleveland Browns.
Title: Re: Shit my ________ says
Post by: AugustWest on August 20, 2018, 10:27:41 pm
I swear some folks are internet outrage junkies.