The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: theinevitable on February 04, 2010, 08:11:57 pm
-
It seems like sometimes I turn every thread into a thread about music. Or at least, try to. Here is a thread where we can talk about what we are digging lately, so that people who do not want to read yet another post about bands can avoid. I figure: we have a youtube thread, we have a movie thread kind of, here is the music thread.
lately I cannot stop having this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuoTjYYqe4c) song stuck in my head, even though I find it kind of obnoxious and uninteresting. That guitar tone! those chords! blaghhhh. They are coming to my school soon and all my friends are exciting.
My roommate says they sound "just like Sonic Youth," which... is completely wrong and weird. Occasionally he makes musical comparisons that make no sense. Another one my friends refer to a lot is when he said that No Age (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8bLzYZMq1s) "just sound like a Replacements (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl9KQ1Mub6Q) rip-off."
My theory is that he had never heard the replacements, but knew that I liked them, and so he assumed they sounded a certain way?
Anyway. These are all bands that I like. HOW ABOUT YOU, FRIENDS?
PS: with links!
-
Most recent album I've bought is the Eels "End Times".
Some reviews have said that it is too emotionally-straight-forward and bordering on maudlin but...
I think those people are being needlessly cynical.
It's a mostly great album.
-
(http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5168d%2B1Q2AL._SS500_.jpg)
Its the first time I paid someone to read a book to me. Its been okay.
-
I went on a roadtrip to Woodstock in the summer and my friend played Dan Deacon for me because he has a song that uses dog barks and we used to get high and blast Jingle Dogs with windows down on busy streets. I didn't really like it and forgot about it.
But I just discovered a new Dan Deacon vid last week that was sick and I sent it to him. He was like, I already played this for you. So I guess I was late on recognizing the brilliance.
Song doesn't start until the six minute mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxm5cUy3V_Y
I have more to contribute to this thread but I got to take care of business, I'll stop back in tonight.
-
Today these a lot, I'm in a RAHH BRITPOP mood obviously
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilKcXIFi-Rc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilKcXIFi-Rc)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVWLrloeToA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVWLrloeToA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4fMdG5D18o (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4fMdG5D18o) This actually opens up sounding like an actual Kim Wilde song but gets fuck*ng awesome. My love is slightly inexplicable admittedly
I've also been listening to a lot of John Cale but can't find Andalucia which I have been listening to loads so have this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEOZLQ3d1FI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEOZLQ3d1FI) Achingly beautiful, my favourite version of what has at times been the most murdered song ever
All the Britpop stuff is incredibly out of sync with my normal listening but that is the beauty of such things I suppose
-
The other day I listened to all of Neutral Milk Hotel's three albums. I very much enjoyed the first two. The third, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, well... It came highly recommended by some people who I like, but after listening to it... Wow. Musically, it was very good. But the lyrics... creepy and morbid and strange. Nothing made sense, and the stuff that did make sense, I didn't want it to because it was so weird. Like, if I didn't speak English, I would have thought it was beautiful.
-
lately I cannot stop having this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuoTjYYqe4c) song stuck in my head, even though I find it kind of obnoxious and uninteresting. That guitar tone! those chords! blaghhhh. They are coming to my school soon and all my friends are exciting.
I'm not sure I love that song so much as I love that video. It's so natural and organic.
My roommate says they sound "just like Sonic Youth," which... is completely wrong and weird. Occasionally he makes musical comparisons that make no sense. Another one my friends refer to a lot is when he said that No Age (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8bLzYZMq1s) "just sound like a Replacements (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl9KQ1Mub6Q) rip-off."
My theory is that he had never heard the replacements, but knew that I liked them, and so he assumed they sounded a certain way?
Huh? No Age sounds more like Sonic Youth than that other band. I assume you've considered the fact that your room mate doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Also, why do you care?
Me, I've been listening to a lot of new music that's come my way lately. Ripped an entire collection from a friend. Some of the Gems are , Spoon's Ga Ga Ga Ga, Band of hosss second album, Johnny Cash's Personal File. I also picked up Them Crooked Vultures which is pretty dang good. I'm also listening to GKA's box set of a mix disc as well as The Mayors, both of which are damn fine. I'm listening to GKA's mix as I type this. 3 is a magic number...
-
Huh? No Age sounds more like Sonic Youth than that other band. I assume you've considered the fact that your room mate doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Also, why do you care?
Yeah, he doesn't know what he is talking about. It just makes me wonder how many other things he jabbers about are utter crock.
I have been thinking a lot lately about how we both talk a lot, but when I talk a lot it is because I am bad at knowing what things other people will think are interesting. I tell too many stories, etc. He talks a lot because he thinks the things he has to say are important, and correct, and everyone else is an idiot. GRATING.
*****_god... a while ago I got a personal email from Dan Deacon. it was really weird. I wrote an email to his label asking about getting some new albums, and he wrote me back personally. I kind of felt cool about it, but it was also like... a personal email from a musician who I am not particularly into? OK.
-
FUTURE OF THE LEFT
Seriously, this band is so good. I only started listening to them in December and I love everything I have heard.
Here are some songs:
Arming Eritrea (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkTvISL53HQ)
Chin Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mROi39FvtEc)
The Hope That House Built (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAwliet2vqo)
-
FUTURE OF THE LEFT
Seriously, this band is so good. I only started listening to them in December and I love everything I have heard.
Here are some songs:
Arming Eritrea (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkTvISL53HQ)
Chin Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mROi39FvtEc)
The Hope That House Built (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAwliet2vqo)
That shit rocks, dude.
-
I'm not sure I love that song so much as I love that video. It's so natural and organic.
XXX version (http://www.mbvmusic.com/2009/10/27/video-girls-lust-for-life-hardcore-xxx-edit/17579)
I went to a concert in San Francisco last October and I swear I saw the girl in the bathtub.
I liked that song/video so much, and this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcqwfFKagH4) even more, that I was really excited for their album. It's not that good. But I'm seeing them a week from tomorrow.
-
FUTURE OF THE LEFT
Seriously, this band is so good. I only started listening to them in December and I love everything I have heard.
Here are some songs:
Arming Eritrea (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkTvISL53HQ)
Chin Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mROi39FvtEc)
The Hope That House Built (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAwliet2vqo)
Oh good god yes. fuck*ng brilliant. The Welsh (http://i48.tinypic.com/11rej6b_th.gif) (http://i49.tinypic.com/wluqsx_th.gif)
I have been in the pub in third video.
-
I went to a concert in San Francisco last October and I swear I saw the girl in the bathtub.
Not Tubgirl, one hopes
(http://i49.tinypic.com/wluqsx_th.gif)
That's quite an emoticon. I was trying to parse it, unwilling to accept it as what it clearly is. I thought, "surely that is a man clapping". But I think not.
-
That's quite an emoticon. I was trying to parse it, unwilling to accept it as what it clearly is. I thought, "surely that is a man clapping". But I think not.
It conveys extreme appreciation in a way all men can understand. Clapping fits this so why not
-
Not Tubgirl, one hopes
Oh Jesus. Why, oh why did I google that? You'd think I just discovered the internet tonight. Like, that's vomit inducing.
-
Oh Jesus. Why, oh why did I google that? You'd think I just discovered the internet tonight. Like, that's vomit inducing.
Bwahahahaha
-
Ah man, that reaction takes me back to the halcyon days of the internet. Glad to see Tubgirl is still claiming victims.
Now google Goatse and Lemonparty!
-
I know goatse and am now too wise to google lemonparty
-
Hey Miles click this (http://www.meatspin.com)
Seriously though don't click it I don't want to get banned
-
Ah man, that reaction takes me back to the halcyon days of the internet. Glad to see Tubgirl is still claiming victims.
Now google Goatse and Lemonparty!
I read that in the pig's voice.
-
Oh man, really? That was new to you?
There's a whole new world of information of which you are probably not aware.
Mr. T, for example, has interesting tastes in cuisine.
You may be amused to know to whom all the bases are belong, as well.
-
Whatever you do, don't google "two girls one cup".
But the reaction videos can be pretty funny.
-
There's a set of pictures out there showing some guy handing Ron Jeremy a phone with goatse on the screen at some convention (I'd find them but I'm not googling "ron jeremy + goatse" on a uni computer). It's great, because the pictures capture him going through all the classic Stages of Goatse: Initial curiosity before he actually sees it, shock/disgust as he realises what he's seeing, a grin at how ridiculous it is, and finally, showing it to someone else and laughing at their reaction.
-
http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:1648540
Ron Jeremy as Bill Adama
#BattlestarGalacticaPornVersionBrainstormingSession
BEGIN!
-
I like how inev started a thread specifically about music to stop himself from derailing threads by talking about music, only for it to be derailed onto the topic of Battlestar Galactica porn.
-
All roads lead to Rome, my friend.
-
Well, it got us MOSTLY to Rome.
Rome itself would be porn about Loonette from "The Big Red Comfy Couch".
You know. Just to be technical.
-
man, I cannot stand that Future of the Left band. My friends were all about them for a bit, and I just do not like it at all.
I just found out that the Girls concert is at the same time as the superbowl. Normally this is an easy choice, but my old roommates who I never see anymore are having a superbowl party...
-
The other day I listened to all of Neutral Milk Hotel's three albums. I very much enjoyed the first two. The third, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, well... It came highly recommended by some people who I like, but after listening to it... Wow. Musically, it was very good. But the lyrics... creepy and morbid and strange. Nothing made sense, and the stuff that did make sense, I didn't want it to because it was so weird. Like, if I didn't speak English, I would have thought it was beautiful.
I speak English, and I think that it's beautiful. I love listening to it, and I love not forgetting that you are ordering Canadian bacon right now.
-
I picked up Iron & Wine's "Around the Well" last week and have been listening to it non-stop. Sam Beam's B-sides are better than most people's A-sides.
When my eMusic credits refresh tomorrow, I'm downloading the new Spoon album, and... something else.
-
Today I just DLed "Magnificent City" which is pretty badass colab between RJD2 (electronic producer) and some other guy from a few years ago. On the electronic front Calvin Harris has been pretty good and so accessible that anyone I've played him for wants to DL.
On the jazz front I'm going back to listen to all the mid-era Miles Davis which will culminate with a very serious listen of "In A Silent Way." That album is maximum difficulty. Also a Return To Forever DVD came out pretty recently, it's mad good.
Rock is basically a dead genre, but I'm listening to Mute Math's sophmore, Armistice. Mars Volta - Octahedron was better than expected. And I take it everyone keeps Phoenix is heavy rotation, right?
-
Also it's been enough years removed to re-listen to Joe Satriani's entire catalog. Specifically, I'm looking forward to hearing the self-titled album.
-
funny story: Girls have this one song that sounds totally like sonic youth.
oops.
I think I have to reevaluate them after how much I liked that live show.
I just spend so much of my guitar-playing time trying not to just play catchy motown chord progressions, it is hard to get into a band that just embraces "we are going to play motown-ish chord progressions, screw it."
-
Today I just DLed "Magnificent City" which is pretty badass colab between RJD2 (electronic producer) and some other guy from a few years ago.
Oh man, there is a big difference between the instrumental RJD2 Mag City album and the one with the rapper. The rapper sucks. The instrumentals are pretty cool and useful for DJing situations.
-
funny story: Girls have this one song that sounds totally like sonic youth.
I swear I saw Girls open for Los Campesinos and I swear they sounded like a shitty jam band. But this doesn't seem to make sense.
-
It would appear that you would be at least partially correct
http://www.avclub.com/dc/articles/los-campesinos-at-930-club,31356/
-
It would appear that you would be at least partially correct
http://www.avclub.com/dc/articles/los-campesinos-at-930-club,31356/
Yup, that was it. I remember the first bad was just bad. Girls first song was good and things went downhill rapidly from there. My friend and I both kept checking our watches.
-
need your needs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlX7K8DZLOk)-georgie james
vanity fair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPAw4cM_Uhc)-mr bungle
alive with the glory of love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7rYZjv3wNg)-say anything
-
The Ship Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKlaV-9Vzsk). Nick Cave.
-
The Ship Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKlaV-9Vzsk). Nick Cave.
Utter beauty. The Good Son is such a great album
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pte3Jg-2Ax4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pte3Jg-2Ax4) Big Star were brilliant for so many reasons and this is definitely one of them
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pte3Jg-2Ax4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pte3Jg-2Ax4) Big Star were brilliant for so many reasons and this is definitely one of them
This song was on a mixdisc I sent you years ago. Is that how you came to know about it?
-
This song was on a mixdisc I sent you years ago. Is that how you came to know about it?
You know, I think this may well be the case. Actually yeah, I went to see Big Star live in London a few years back on the strength of that song and have loved them completely and utterly since. Paul you are one good man
-
Wait a minute, Big Star is back together?
-
I'm guessing Chris Bell won't be out on tour with them.
-
I remember hearing about a thing from about 10-15 years ago where Alex Chilton teamed up with another established group to do a show billed as Big Star. Reading about that "reunion" in Rolling Stones was when I first heard about Big Star. I'm guessing something like that is whats going on now.
-
Utter beauty. The Good Son is such a great album
Can'd for awesome taste. The Good Son is one of my favorites of all time. It's one of those records I put on when I'm sick of listening to everything else. There are only a handful of those.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pte3Jg-2Ax4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pte3Jg-2Ax4) Big Star were brilliant for so many reasons and this is definitely one of them
I've been listening to Big Star recently. I've really been enjoying this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q10DAu6-_8w
-
I found this cool blog (http://icoulddietomorrow.blogspot.com) that posts download links for lots of stuff, mostly things not available on CD (singles, EPs, etc). it is kind of all over the place, genre wise, but one of the guys posts awesome 80s/90s indie pop. I really like all the stuff I have gotten from here so far.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkGvk1rQBI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkGvk1rQBI) Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning. Brilliant song, one of the best choruses of any pop song ever
As for Big Star: pretty sure they come to London fairly regularly for one off reunion gigs. There were loads of Americans/Canadians there who'd come over just for the concert.
-
Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning. Brilliant song, one of the best choruses of any pop song ever
Wow, that one is so old even *I* recognize it!
One of my faves.
-
Fun fact: the singer of that song is now our Minister for the Environment.
King of the Mountain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGNjxqc61vw) is my favourite Oils song.
-
I was never a huge fan but I always liked Forgotten years. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVQDoeecmZs)
-
huh. I'd like to meet her tailor.
-
A-wooo
-
wait... what happened to the post I was replying to? This forum is very confusing to me.
-
Those damn warewolves.
-
http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/anavabi/mp3/ (http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/anavabi/mp3/) here's some music. probably computer generated, I didn't check. Burn it on a CD, keep it in your car. Pop it in next time you pick up a hitch-hiker, crank it up.
-
Down Colorful Hill, by Red House Painters. Particularly this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BMZ7wfLyno). It's on right now. But the whole album is fucktacular. It's one of the handful of records I can always listen to, even when I'm sick of just about everything. Like The Good Son as I previously mentioned.
-
When this series of sights and sounds entered my brain, I closed my internets and took a minute to collect myself. Then I downloaded all of their songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8BWBn26bX0
The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist
Its old so Im probably behind the curve on this one.
-
Yes, you are a bit behind the curve. The rest of the world has been waiting for them to put out a second album for the better part of a decade.
-
When this series of sights and sounds entered my brain, I closed my internets and took a minute to collect myself. Then I downloaded all of their songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8BWBn26bX0
The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist
Its old so Im probably behind the curve on this one.
I came to know this song via a mixdisc that MisterQueue did back in the day.
BTW, I finished the artwork for my mix last night. Now I just have to do the burns and packaging.
-
I listened to The Avalanches one time, and never got into it. I will try again.
-
ODSESEY AND ORACLE uis posibly the best album of the 60s. THERE I sadi thit.
It is sauperb.
Carae of cell 44 isa so god it meaksme weep wiath joy!
ALSO thae housemartins arae fuckin godly. aboslutely fuck*ng GODLY. So good
TAKE JESUSE TAKE MARX ATAKE HOPE.
LONDON 0 HULL 4
GNIGHT AEVYERONE.
-
ODSESEY AND ORACLE uis posibly the best album of the 60s. THERE I sadi thit.
It is sauperb.
Carae of cell 44 isa so god it meaksme weep wiath joy!
Here's a sober affirmation of that opinion: HELL YES.
-
I can't help but look at that dude, though, and think that he is Carrottop's soft-butch lesbian sister.
EDIT: wrong thread?
-
I saw the Zombies play a few years ago. They were pretty cool.
-
Lately I am in this really crappy rut where I just don't like anything that I hear.
I haven't felt like this since high school... I feel like part of it is projecting my problems with people onto the music they like.
I really love Odyssey and Oracle, and when I played it for my girlfriend she smirked, because she does not like music that is tender and beautiful and warm.
-
I got the most recent Neil Young and I liked that. But again, that's something new by someone I already like.
Still the line "I got hope/but you can't eat hope" is fuckin' CLUTCH.
I'm looking forward to hearing the Flaming Lips cover of "Dark Side of the Moon" despite the mixed reviews.
-
she does not like music that is tender and beautiful and warm.
You should play her some Wolves In The Throne Room (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ibBdXJ3Jg).
Incidentally, they are playing in Hobart tomorrow night and I am giddy with excitement.
-
I don't think the Housemartins are particularly big in America? But they're absolutely fantastic.
They're fantastic. Catchiest hook on one of their albums: "Don't wag your fingers at them and turn to walk away/Don't shoot someone tomorrow that you can shoot today"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ehden6aPl0&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ehden6aPl0&feature=related) Happy Hour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLOyF50wlBU&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLOyF50wlBU&feature=related) Me And The Farmer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOjG91LX8Wg&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOjG91LX8Wg&feature=related) Caravan Of Love - Acapella cover of Isley Jasper Isley, Paul Heaton really did have an incredible voice
Hope you enjoy.
Inev, sort your bird out.
-
Incidentally, they are playing in Hobart tomorrow night and I am giddy with excitement.
Tasmania? Why did I think you were a mainlander?
-
Because you've never actually SEEN him chew through a tree to get to Bugs Bunny.
This has only been implied.
-
Dan, I am mostly a vocalist dude when I listen to music. However, when I hear something like Avalanches or specifically Girl Talk, I feel a total connection with the music and love it. After seeing GT live I even made a song that has made its round at the clubs here. Any suggestions? (uh PM me if you want my song)
-
I just got Wolfgang Amadaus Phoenix and I can't stop listening to it. I've got "1901" ringing in my head when I try to go to sleep at night.
-
If you need to eject a song stuck in your head, I find that "The Night Chicago Died" can purge damn near any other song in a snap.
That is, if you can deal with getting "The Night Chicago Died" stuck in your head for a week.
-
Tasmania? Why did I think you were a mainlander?
Because I've only got the one head.
-
If you need to eject a song stuck in your head, I find that "The Night Chicago Died" can purge damn near any other song in a snap.
That is, if you can deal with getting "The Night Chicago Died" stuck in your head for a week.
DAMN YOU!!!
/shakes fist.
-
I'm pretty sure that I need to hear EhnWaiYou's club song.
-
NaNaNa NaNaNa NaNaNaNaNaNaNa
Curse you and your infectious early '70s pop ballads, LFM!
-
You should play her some Wolves In The Throne Room (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ibBdXJ3Jg).
Incidentally, they are playing in Hobart tomorrow night and I am giddy with excitement.
I just started listening to them a little while ago. I like it.
Also, I have found The Faceless to be quite devoid of either humanity or warmth. FWIW
-
I am late to the party. I first heard this song in that car commercial at the Super Bowl.
However, The Heavy totally rocked out Letterman (http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show/video/?play=true&pid=PMZn0ZshOfdkqPhyLc_5uASnrFZKAgkd) and got an encore request.
-
Because I've only got the one head.
Cann'd for bothering to make the joke that all of three people on this board will appreciate.
-
Probably married his sister though.
-
However, The Heavy totally rocked out Letterman (http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show/video/?play=true&pid=PMZn0ZshOfdkqPhyLc_5uASnrFZKAgkd) and got an encore request.
I think they have a hit on their hands. Also, Rickenbacker 4001 FTW!
-
I am late to the party. I first heard this song in that car commercial at the Super Bowl.
However, The Heavy totally rocked out Letterman (http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show/video/?play=true&pid=PMZn0ZshOfdkqPhyLc_5uASnrFZKAgkd) and got an encore request.
This shit rocks.
-
Jacques Brel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1oX3bdIMqk)
-
By the way, the thing I listen most to is...tinnitus. It doesn't have much of a beat, though.
Mine sounds like cicadas (http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fauna/Michigan_Cicadas/Periodical/mp3sounds/sdecimchor.mp3).
-
I could probably find a less stereotypical band to love than Pavement, but I love them so much.
Lately I am really into Beat Happening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3mJgk1aA5A), and Black Tambourine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_pQYGs0ysU).
Last night was our big free rock concert:
openers were Spelling Bee, from STL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0KSSv3l0z8)
and two bands from Brooklyn, on this label called Famous Class:
Boogie Boarder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNUSt4Tjrq0)
and Darlings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-DAhI6oZyY) (this song is... kind of boring. I like their other stuff a lot more. Also, live they are noisier... see 1:30 or so into the video. They do this thing a lot, that I love, where they get really noisy and build... and then go right back into pretty, well-structured pop.)
Live, Darlings are more like this: awesome noisy guitar rock awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50cyXiGJn5Y)
-
Also, can we talk more about Dr. Dog? They are so good. So good. I have now heard two of their albums, and I love both of them. I like when a band can occasionally have moments where you say "oh, the beatles!" or "oh, the flaming lips!" but is more than just a rip-off. I would compare them to certain flaming lips songs, but like... more consistent songwriting.
-
I like when a band can occasionally have moments where you say "oh, the beatles!" or "oh, the flaming lips!" but is more than just a rip-off.
My mother told me she was watching a Radiohead movie last week. She said they had moments where they reminded her of the Beatles. I complimented her on being insightful.
-
My mother told me she was watching a Radiohead movie last week. She said they had moments where they reminded her of the Beatles. I complimented her on being insightful.
your mom is more hip than you, dogg. wtf?
-
your mom is more hip than you, dogg. wtf?
Yeah, it's true.
-
Double albums? Triple albums?
Why do people do this. EDIT. TAKE OUT THE SONGS THAT ARE BAD. COME ON, THIS ISN'T HARD.
-
You're underestimating the willingness of fans to buy whatever pearls drop from the fingers of their god(dess).
-
EDIT. TAKE OUT THE SONGS THAT ARE BAD. COME ON, THIS ISN'T HARD.
With mp3 playlists these days, you can do that yourself. Construct your favourite album from the three albums worth of stuff on offer! It's like a musical buffet.
-
Double albums? Triple albums?
Why do people do this. EDIT. TAKE OUT THE SONGS THAT ARE BAD. COME ON, THIS ISN'T HARD.
I know, what were The Beatles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_%28album%29), The Clash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Calling), Bob Dylan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blonde_on_Blonde), Fleetwood Mac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tusk_%28album%29), The Jimi Hendrix Experience (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Ladyland), The Rolling Stones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile_on_Main_St.), and Stevie Wonder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_in_the_Key_of_Life) thinking?
-
The only one of those albums that I don't think is too long is the white album. I have not heard that bob Dylan album or rolling stones album, though.
-
The only one of those albums that I don't think is too long is the white album. I have not heard that bob Dylan album or rolling stones album, though.
You haven't heard Exile on Main St.? Drop everything.
-
The only one of those albums that I don't think is too long is the white album. I have not heard that bob Dylan album or rolling stones album, though.
You haven't heard Blonde on Blonde? Drop everything.
-
You haven't heard Songs in the Key of Life? Drop everything.
-
You haven't heard Songs in the Key of Life? Drop everything.
I think he has heard that one. He thinks it's too long. It's only the Dylan and the Stones he hasn't heard.
-
if he thinks it's too long, he's never really listened to it is my point there
-
Ah! You've got a point there.
-
London Calling is too long?!?!
I despair for the easily bored ears of the younger generation
-
With mp3 playlists these days, you can do that yourself. Construct your favourite album from the three albums worth of stuff on offer! It's like a musical buffet.
I know, what were The Beatles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_%28album%29) ... thinking?
I know this amounts to sacrilege here, but I've done that with the White Album.
Blonde on Blonde is Bob Dylan's best album, and you could also make a case for Exile on Main St. for the Stones. And, well, Tusk, London Calling and Songs in the Key of Life.
Double albums? Triple albums?
Why do people do this. EDIT. TAKE OUT THE SONGS THAT ARE BAD. COME ON, THIS ISN'T HARD.
I bet it's probably hard. Are you referring to Joanna Newsom's most recent album? Is it worth checking out?
-
Blonde on Blonde is in Dylan's 6 album period where whichever one I last listened to is my favorite, but Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands isn't too great it's the whole last side. Like, it is good, but only (very) rarely am I in the mood for that track.
London Calling is great, but Sandinista could have been their best if it wasn't that 3-lp nightmare. Cut that shit down to 2 and it is one of the 100 or so timeless albums.
-
Highway 61 is better than Blonde on Blonde.
-
Tommy is another double album that's nowhere near too long. The greatest "Rock Opera" ever. I used to listen to this with headphones when I was a young boy (it came out when I was 6). The album came with a booklet of surreal pictures. I would sit in the den alone listening and looking at the pictures; It blew my fuck*ng mind.
George Harrison's first solo album was the triple disc All Things must pass which is easily his best album. Of course in his case he had just gone through 10 years of having 1 song per album given he was the third best song writer in the Beatles. He followed that up less than a year later with the triple album Concert for Bangladesh which is one of my favorite albums ever; a brilliant album. Sadly, Harrison really shot his wad with All Things Must Pass; nothing he did subsequently ever came even close to it's brilliance.
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is Smashing Pumpkins best album in my opinion. it's two hours long and it also has a companion album, The Aeroplane Flies High which is another hour or so of leftovers from the Mellon Collie sessions; they were used as "b" sides on the Mellon Collie sessions. It's completely awesome as well. One of the songs on Aeroplane is Pastichio Medley which is a 23 minute pastiche of unfinished song ideas, many of which I would have loved to hear fleshed out into actual songs. Like Harrison though this was the end of Billy Corgan's brilliance.
So maybe we should not be complaining that Newsom has put out such a long album, but rather be wary of her next one. Ha ha.
-
I bet it's probably hard. Are you referring to Joanna Newsom's most recent album? Is it worth checking out?
I found her music to be unpleasant and kind of pretentious even before it was 2 hours long.
I am obviously in the minority here. Sorry. There are many songs on all of the double albums I can think of that I regularly skip, except maybe the White Album.
I guess I can handle double albums when they're meant to be just big collections of songs... but when it's like, hey, here is this 2 hour long narrative... I just can't handle it. It's like watching a 4 hour long movie.
Also part of it for me is that a double album almost always seems to involve a lot of "this is IMPORTANT, this is my ART, this is my MASTERWORK. This isn't just POP MUSIC."
maybe I just have too short of an attention span. if I wanted to listen to something this long I would listen to classical music or something. and I don't want to listen to that at all.
-
Highway 61 is better than Blonde on Blonde.
shit man, if we putting it out Bringing it All Back Home or Another Side of... are the best. Highway 61 is my least favorite (of the best album releasing streak of all time), even though it has thin man, tom thumb and desolation road. Rolling Stone is great and all, but it is really kinda underpar for Dylan- the live 66 official bootleg version is how it should sound- and songs 2-4 are just meh. The music is corny as all fuck on most of the tracks (works well on title track) and almost, almost ruins desolation row.
-
Rolling Stone is great and all, but it is really kinda underpar for Dylan- the live 66 official bootleg version is how it should sound
I disagree that it's not up to par for Dylan, but the bootleg version is better. I love that recording.
-
shit man, if we putting it out Bringing it All Back Home or Another Side of... are the best. Highway 61 is my least favorite (of the best album releasing streak of all time), even though it has thin man, tom thumb and desolation road. Rolling Stone is great and all, but it is really kinda underpar for Dylan- the live 66 official bootleg version is how it should sound- and songs 2-4 are just meh. The music is corny as all fuck on most of the tracks (works well on title track) and almost, almost ruins desolation row.
Now that's just crazy talk.
-
classical music... I don't want to listen to that at all.
am i inferring correctly here because what a shame if i am
-
I went to a random bar to try to convince them to turn on the bronze medal olympic hockey game. Bad news is my bet lost, but the good news is I saw this (http://www.myspace.com/communicationcorporation) Mr. Bungle/dance/EbuGogo/SOAD band I was digging, The Communication Corporation. Dude playin' a sick, gaudy, rickenbacker bass, keytarist lead singer, metal influenced drummer, and kinda a butterface hipster girl singing backup and dancing.
-
I'm listening to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqINd-7XJW8) a lot. Amazing buildup and climax.
Also this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=487594W0dq4). From 1:33 onwards, it's the heaviest thing I have listened since Led Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying". Schnittke rules with iron fists.
-
As much as I am bothered by my girlfriend sharing albums with me that her ex told her to check out, this is really rad. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJI69_wcZvE)
(not bothered by the sharing with me, bothered by the "yeah, my... um.... friend... sent me this, we really have the same taste in music, he always knows what I'll like.")
A lot of the album is synth-y goth-y stuff that I don't like, but I like this song a whole lot.
One of the other songs has this incredibly creepy/upsetting KKK imagery going on in the video, which I really do not like at all.
-
I am in a Starbucks, soaking up wi-fi before going to a meeting up the street, and they just played the Avett Brothers' "Head Full Of Doubt/Road Full Of Promise." That's pleasing.
And contrary to what Bobby will tell you, I did not eat any of my co-workers today.
-
I really like Deerhunter and Bradford Cox generally, but have lately been really digging these songs:
VHS Dream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfS33rfA3JU
Famous Last Words: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpranePjbKE or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lBQtx4SLU
The second video is kind of cool.
Did I already share my favorite?
Little Kids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ZtxWzaDQg
-
I am kind of obsessed with the Joy Division album Warsaw, and especially No Love Lost.
Especially the loud part, duh.
I am trying to find a youtube link that is the right version... it is so good.
-
I was spending a gift voucher from my Dad from christmas on random cds last week and made some joke to the guy at the counter about a cd that was lying there that someone had obviously left behind, something like 'You'd at least hope they'd leave something awesome.' to which he replied that actually it was one of his favourite cds. So I bought it with the change from the voucher and it's actually pretty decent, very nice early morning music.
It was Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left.
I'll find some youtubes when I get home.
-
Also check out Bryter Layter and Pink Moon re: Nick Drake.
-
Oh man, that dudes guitar is so awesome.
Yeah, play those crazy chords Nick Drake. Those chords are so good.
-
ok, you could definitely accuse me of liking anything that sounds like this, but HOLY CRAP (http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=PxByjsWPY8E&feature=related) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWAGQGFxQrQ).
-
I saw a movie last night which contained this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D6HsaQ4EJM
So good.
And nice, Besnard Lakes. That's the first song I've heard from the new album, sounds good.
-
The Peter Gabriel covers album is pretty rad. Not all the way through but mostly.
-
Why is this song permanently stuck in my head. (http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=_sjOr6eYh1M&feature=related)
-
8 CD's full of the best of Bob and Ray.
-
Live Black Sabbath from 1970. Excellent.
-
Live Black Sabbath from 1970. Excellent.
If you'd have slipped that in with your mixtape I would not have minded at all.
-
Pandora's classical music (focusing on Handel's work). I feel like Pat now.
-
Q.) What's Mary Magdaline's favourite piece of classical music?
A.) Handel's Messiah.
-
first thought: the new Dr Dog album is kind of disappointing.
Am I becoming the guy who reviews new albums by great bands, and always says "their old one was better?"
...maybe. Maybe because I find it hard to appreciate when bands "mature" if this means, now we are going to play lots of slow songs instead of fast, fun songs.
-
Am I becoming the guy who reviews new albums by great bands, and always says "their old one was better?"
This is almost always the case, but not always.
...maybe. Maybe because I find it hard to appreciate when bands "mature" if this means, now we are going to play lots of slow songs instead of fast, fun songs.
Beats me why bands think they need to mature. Sure as hell ain't my scene.
-
I just downloaded an album by Oingo Boingo, but what I am actually listening to is "Walk of Life" by Dire Straits.
-
Freezepop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gATWXduG4tY).
Nice.
-
I can't stop listening to Hootenanny by the Replacements.
Take Me Down to the Hospital and bad worker are so good.
-
yes, they are my favorite band, and that album is great. GREAT. GREAT.
-
I love love LOVE the guitar line in THIS SONG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0wPNow3ymc&feature=related).
People say that bands like this and vampire weekend are ripping off african guitar playing... who are these african groups? no one can answer this. people love Fela Kuti, but I would say that he is more like the african James Brown. all about funky horns and long jams. I want JANGLING GUITARS, damnit!
-
I love love LOVE the guitar line in THIS SONG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0wPNow3ymc&feature=related).
People say that bands like this and vampire weekend are ripping off african guitar playing... who are these african groups? no one can answer this. people love Fela Kuti, but I would say that he is more like the african James Brown. all about funky horns and long jams. I want JANGLING GUITARS, damnit!
They are ripping off African guitarist they have never heard of. It's just a tired old complaint that goes all the way back to Paul Simon and the Graceland album. That guitar sounds a lot like Ray Phiri so I guess they are ripping off him, but I doubt he minds since he's an international star now thanks to Paul Simon.
But seriously, what the fuck was going on in that video?
-
I mean, I am pretty sure this is a whole category of guitar playing.
I think they have probably heard of the guitarists they are ripping off, because their entire concept as a band is that they play music in this particular African style.
It's not like people are making up that they/Vampire Weekend/Graceland are trying to sound like particular African artists. They are.
I read a thing with Johnny Marr where he referred to the intro to This Charming Man as sounding like "High-Life." I will have to look into this.
-
It's a bullshit complaint anyway. Fuck those people.
-
Once in awhile when my friend is playing his ipod, he'll play this Toumani Diabate album that really kills it. There's this one song that goes like this: " ," that afterward will be in your head for an hour and ninety four minutes.
-
so, in my search for African music played by Africans, I found this blog (http://ttp://luciomagano.wordpress.com/). I think I am in love. I just downloaded a huge number of songs, I will now load them all on my ipod and listen to them all.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs
The best music video ever? I seriously can't stop watching this.
(Here is the bonus for those of you who read the whole thing before clicking. This is a terrible, terrible, Insane Clown Posse video. But what they say about science, and pelicans, is so bizarre that I can't stop watching it.)
-
But seriously now, Sally Seltmann's new album, Heart That's Pounding, is just amazing. Here is the first video from it, which doesn't fully convey the awesomeness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctwRi-8A9jE
(Serious note: if you don't like Belle & Sebastian, Camera Obscura, Acid House Kings and their ilk, you won't like her stuff. It is twee rock.)
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs
The best music video ever? I seriously can't stop watching this.
Seriously, fuck*ng magnets. How do they work?
-
I fed a giraffe to a pelican, it tried to eat my cellphone.
-
I'm listening to unicorns pissing fuck*ng rainbows. (http://www.interiorcrocodilealligator.com/) Cause that's just how I roll.
-
I spent the weekend listening to the mixdiscs I received from Lprkn and Paul. Both rocked, Paul's was a little more my speed.
Easily the greatest track of the two was Fatal Apple's "Rode Hard and Put Up Wet". Apparently some folks like it that way.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs
fuck*n' magnets: how do they work?
I'm listening to unicorns pissing fuck*ng rainbows. (http://www.interiorcrocodilealligator.com/) Cause that's just how I roll.
I have been summoned, and I must say that you are small time.
Are you a bad enough dude to survive all four minutes of combined Unicorns and Magnets (http://www.mediafire.com/?jmqmcgy2izn)?
-
This is a terrible, terrible, Insane Clown Posse video. But what they say about science, and pelicans, is so bizarre that I can't stop watching it.)
Somehow I was under the impression that there were more of them. Perha
ps because a posse of two doesn't seem ver formidable.
-
I am listening to MIXDISC!
Also...
Easily the greatest track of the two was Fatal Apple's "Rode Hard and Put Up Wet". Apparently some folks like it that way.
And we were being so earnest too.
-
Nci kadRake.
-
oh judy i just ordered my decoder ring but it isn't here yet i can't wait!
-
Nick Drake, or perhaps Naked Rick?
-
Anyone in the midwest (or further, I guess, if you're willing to drive...) interested in a free 3-day pass to the Pitchfork Music Festival? We're getting 12 to give away at the radio station, and I talked to the people who gave them away last year and they basically said "only one guy called in, so he got it." Last year they only gave us 6. If you're interested, I can tell you guys which shows are giving tickets away, and you just listen and call in at the right moment.
the problem is that part of our agreement with them is that we can't give them away until after a certain date, and that date is after the point when everyone goes home for the summer. So we have very few listeners, and very few DJs.
-
Yes! Can I get two, I mean if I call in and shit? Or just have my friend I would go with call in too.
-
yeah, it seems like that is fine...
It was really weird that I was saying I wanted to go to this and couldn't afford it, and our general manager (who is also my summer roommate, and drummer in my summer band) said "oh, just win tickets."
"but, winning contests is hard?"
"Dude, seriously, if you try a few times you will win. Last summer we had trouble giving away 6 passes, and this year we have 12. Plus three staff passes."
-
the point at 30 seconds into this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X83QM-FknII), when the weird dissonant guitar chord resolves, is the greatest.
-
the point at 30 seconds into this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X83QM-FknII), when the weird dissonant guitar chord resolves, is the greatest.
hell yes it is, that's fantastic
edit: hahaha i just finished listening to that song, tuned you in online, and there you were playing it
-
Oh man, you missed my overly-planned intro to the show. I'm DJ Callypygian Phrygian, so flat the 2nd, put four to the floor, and GET YOUR REAR IN GEAR.
I am always very proud of weird theme shows like this, because I get to be like "here are the only hip hop songs I know." So instead of worrying about trying to find weird things I haven't played before, I can play like, my number one favorite dance tracks ever.
thanks a lot to listening to my silly radio show. i enjoy doing it a lot.
now that I finally have an mp3 version of this incredible album my friend gave me on vinyl, here is a song I love. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVviEUfJNa8)
-
I'm listening to this, me droogies: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=724725449&v=wall&story_fbid=117092368317577&ref=mf
and this: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=724725449&v=wall&story_fbid=111280285576535&ref=mf
(is this working?)
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B6lOPAvx1I
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B6lOPAvx1I
fuck. and. yes.
-
lately all I want to hear is Creedence.
it definitely jives with the thing where I love the South on an abstract level that has little to do with actual experience.
although I am really pumped for being home for a week of seeing family, my little brother's graduation from high school, real BBQ, sweet tea, chik-fil-a, etc.
-
creedence is from san fran
-
I know.
Which is why they reflect my love of a South that is half imaginary.
-
I am on a Built to Spill kick.
I don't think any more explaining of my state of mind needs to go down.
-
whoa, I was just listening to some Built to Spill today. It had been a while. "Carry the Zero" is the one song I can play on guitar that makes it sound like I know what I'm doing.
which of their albums are your favorites? I can never decide. I really love this track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0p3s1GCndE) from their new album... apparently about the point after the death of a close friend when he realized he could finally feel bored again. For all I know that is completely wrong, I only half-listen to lyrics most of the time. I love the guitar riff at 1:10.
-
Built to Spill is my favorite band, and I'm always down for a discussion. So yeah, what have you been listening to LFM?
Carry the Zero is the only Built to Spill song I can play, period. It's also my favorite song. Although my favorite album alternates between Perfect From Now On and Ultimate Alternative Wavers.
-
I actually only have three of their albums... they're growing on me.
Currently, I'm listening to "Perfect From Now On" a lot.
The idea of the title phrase and how it is contextualized inside the album, it is resonating like hell with me right now.
-
Just yesterday I was showing some friends a video of Built to Spill hawking a sugary cheese-based breakfast cereal.
I got their 2nd newest album and I don't think I liked a single song so I skipped their newest entirely. Distopian Dream Girl is probably my favorite track over all.
-
Stray Cats
-
Stray Cats
[[high5]]
-
now I'm scared no one will get the free pitchfork tickets.
anyway: this friday:
1. Listen to our show this Friday (May 7th) from 9am-11am CST on KWUR at 90.3 FM or KWUR.com!!
2. Listen for the song "North American Scum(m)" by LCD Soundsystem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieT_lf9wK28!)
3. Call us at 314-935-KWUR (5987)!
4. Be the seventh caller! (this is the hard part)
5. Win.
6. Give us your info!
7. Wait two months.
8. Go to Pitchfork Music Festival with two friends!
IT IS THAT SIMPLE.
It makes me worried that they are giving them away in groups of 3. I just want one! come on!
-
I'm not listening to it on purpose, but it's stuck in my head: Johnny Cash doing "My own personal Jesus." But before that it was Barenaked Ladies "If I had a million dollars," so I'm not complaining.
-
I'm listening to some bad-ass guzheng music up in here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gKnbtGy_UA&feature=player_embedded
http://www.emusic.com/album/Bei-Bei-Shawn-Lee-Into-The-Wind-MP3-Download/11796143.html
-
a small victory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-4CcgA1Upo)-faith no more
this is stuck in my head. so much so, that when i talk to myself, i sing the words to the melody of the song. this has got to stop.
-
the way this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIXcBEEJdKE) phrases his verses kind of bugs me, but the damn chorus where they just say "contact high" over and over is so intensely stuck in my head.
so far I have not won tickets to pitchfork. my girlfriend's best friend won 3, though, so maybe I can get in on that.
-
I am presently listening to Combat Rock by The Clash, and I have also been listening to this brilliant cover (http://www.avclub.com/articles/mia,38870/) of Paper Planes by The Clientele, who I already thought were excellent, and whom I now love even more. Bonus points to you if you know the connection.
-
me! me! me!
-
Straight to Hell is my favorite Clash song
-
The Flaming Lips cover of "Dark Side of the Moon". Finally!
-
Bonus points to you if you know the connection.
What is it?
-
It's it.
-
What is it?
The original version of Paper Planes, by M.I.A., samples "Straight To Hell" from Combat Rock.
-
a small victory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-4CcgA1Upo)-faith no more
Good call. And yes, the end of that performance is highly entertaining.
-
The original version of Paper Planes, by M.I.A., samples "Straight To Hell" from Combat Rock.
Oh, I knew that. Was looking for the connection between the clash and the clientele.
Today I listened to Sandinista. It was way worse than I remember, but the first few tracks on the second disc were still awesome.
-
A band named Sandy Nista with the logo of Sandy Duncan dressed as a jungle paramilitant would be rad.
-
Can't get this piece (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDRoL7ziDP4) out of my head. So beautiful.
-
"Gauntlet Hair" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdajrGhBBIA) sounds like a band name in a joke about indie record snobs making up fake bands.
"I just downloaded this demo by Gauntlet Hair." I cannot believe I just said that out loud.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=komOxVNewIk&feature=related makes me melanchohappy
-
melanchohappy
I love this idea. Is there another word for it?
-
Actually I was gonna ask the word buffs from this here place the same question. Probably some of those barbaric languages like German have something on that.
-
man, I wish I had just kept thinking that "The Only Ones" was a brilliant idea for a band name, instead of looking it up, and realizing that I had read it in a book about the Replacements.
I guess I could do "Your Only Ones" or something.
-
Actually I was gonna ask the word buffs from this here place the same question. Probably some of those barbaric languages like German have something on that.
Yeah, German's got to have one. Those Germans have a word for everything! Come on smart people, help us out. To you, is it kind of like feeling melancholy and liking it? Like you don't want to not feel melancholy, so you'll listen to music or read things that will keep you in that mood? Maybe that's just being a teenager. Or is it really a mixture of melancholy and happiness?
-
Yeah, German's got to have one. Those Germans have a word for everything! Come on smart people, help us out. To you, is it kind of like feeling melancholy and liking it? Like you don't want to not feel melancholy, so you'll listen to music or read things that will keep you in that mood? Maybe that's just being a teenager. Or is it really a mixture of melancholy and happiness?
I think we call that "emo."
-
Yes. That is correct.
-
Well, I was talking about the real mixture of melancholy with the serene acknowledgement and appreciation of that melancholy, which leads to a state - not of whiney faux-grief naively expressed outwardly by eyeliner and silly mops, but, quite on the contrary, of acceptance and contentment with one's place in Nature. That's just what it is: quiet, self-contented contemplation tinged with a taste of somberness - a bit akin to what the japanese call mono no aware.
-
Roy Orbison is the shit
-
Would you say bittersweet? I suppose that's more an experience with both melancholy and happy aspects rather than an appreciation of the melancholy.
-
Doc, yeah, that's exactly the meaning, only it would have to be possible to use it alone, without a qualifier (in this case you would have to say I"m in a bittersweet mood", or something like that.
-
THIS IS ALL I WANT TO HEAR, EVER. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sj5_WITMpA)
My roommate says they "seem like assholes" but could not give any reason other than "they like pot a lot."
-
THIS IS ALL I WANT TO HEAR, EVER. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sj5_WITMpA)
My roommate says they "seem like assholes" but could not give any reason other than "they like pot a lot."
the singer sounds like courtney love when she was still a junkie.
-
THIS IS ALL I WANT TO HEAR, EVER. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sj5_WITMpA)
My roommate says they "seem like assholes" but could not give any reason other than "they like pot a lot."
That's makes one an asshole, does it?
Punch your roommate in the throat for me, n'kay?
-
Now mashups remind me of LFM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT5eJwgAtvY)
-
THIS IS ALL I WANT TO HEAR, EVER. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sj5_WITMpA)
You put that, or another song by that band, like a few pages back. Oh god, so good. I have probably listened to it at least once a week. You have any of their recorded shit you could share? It is like the best of wavves, but better and not just fake computer distortion, instead reverb!
My roommate says they "seem like assholes" but could not give any reason other than "they like pot a lot."
What a dick. Don't most bands?
This gives me a good LFM rant: I never fuck*ng understood those dick bags who all like stoner music but hate pot. Feel indifferent about it? I guess that works, though the whole point of the music is it sounds much better stoned (though so does all music.) Actually, I never understood how anyone could really dig on music without digging on drugs. They are the best complementary items I have ever found. One time I listened to Only by Beans while on 2CE, it was the closest I have ever come to actually floating in space (well, we are floating in space, but you know.)
-
the black keys' new album brothers (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126607501&sc=fb&cc=fp) in full on npr
-
I haven't smoked pot in a looooong time but, even incredibly high, I couldn't stand most Phish and could... take or leave the Grateful Dead at best.
I think I'm just predisposed to "progressive trippy" stoner music instead of "crunchy hippy" stoner music.
-
Yeah, I wasn't talking about that stoner music. More good stuff, pretty much Super Furry Animals to Kyuss? You know, good, solid stoner pop and rock, I guess?
I'll give you one thing: if people really dig on Phish (Grateful Dead isn't awful, but I don't really dig them) and don't get high that would be the worst case scenario for my hypothetical.
-
I getcha.
Maybe it's my smalltown showing but you know, for my little group it was like... Pink Floyd, Zappa, Led Zepplin, King Crimson, Jimi Hendrix kinda stoner music.
I guess the comtemporary example of it would be Flaming Lips?
But yeah, a guy who loves Phish and doesn't burn at all... wow. That's the type of dude who invents Comic Sans.
-
I am from a small town too, but it was about 30 minutes from where the Flaming Lips were headquartered- it's why oklahoma has such a great, surprising stoner pop scene- and during the internet, so a bit different.
And yes, the Flaming Lips are pretty much the embodiment of what I am describing, but the good stuff they did was when they played guitar, and don't ever forget it. I once saw them at the OKC Zoo. I was high as balls on ecstacy. They did not play christmas at the zoo or this here giraffe (two of my favorite songs of theirs) and talked the whole fuck*ng time. Yeah Wayne, we get it, you love us and want us to see you run around in a ball. How bout you just melt our face with some fuck*ng rock though please?
So I was looking for early lips stuff on you tube and boy did I find it. If you are ready to have a new favorite band go here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=HLWw6Fe7NTQ&feature=related and just keep watching the stuff by that poster.
or just go here http://www.youtube.com/user/Goalieman707
-
hm. Best Coast doesn't have an album yet, it's supposed to come out sometime this year.
I think it's just singles:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jxryhug1fyb
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmjtmb90dwt
http://www.mediafire.com/?dtgxyw4omok
I can't find the "When I'm with You" single on there, though.
also, my girlfriend super loves this band, and i am getting pretty into this song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDOcmKfdGsU)
-
hm. Best Coast doesn't have an album yet, it's supposed to come out sometime this year.
I think it's just singles:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jxryhug1fyb
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmjtmb90dwt
http://www.mediafire.com/?dtgxyw4omok
I can't find the "When I'm with You" single on there, though.
also, my girlfriend super loves this band, and i am getting pretty into this song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDOcmKfdGsU)
Considering they've released 11 songs via singles and EPs is an album even really necessary at this point?
-
I was going to say "some people don't have record players," but I guess I have gotten all of the songs over the internet so there's nothing to stop other people from doing it.
-
I was going to say "some people don't have record players," but I guess I have gotten all of the songs over the internet so there's nothing to stop other people from doing it.
You can even do it legally: http://www.emusic.com/artist/Best-Coast-MP3-Download/12486247.html
-
I really like the new LCD Soundsystem. I didn't like the first album really, and felt that the last one was uneven (with a couple fuck*ng amazing standouts), but I'm completely taken with this one. And I was hesitant to like it, because I was recently seeing this girl who thought I was an aging hipster. As evidence she primarily pointed to my wardrobe (I wear black t-shirts and jeans when not at work, like Louis CK more than anyone, really) and my taste in music. Admittedly I have some tendencies, but I don't think I come close to qualifying as a hipster. But anyway, I'm self-conscious about it now, and despite that, I love this record.
-
a small victory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-4CcgA1Upo)-faith no more
This is one of my favorite albums ever.
-
I'm listening to some bad-ass guzheng music up in here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gKnbtGy_UA&feature=player_embedded
http://www.emusic.com/album/Bei-Bei-Shawn-Lee-Into-The-Wind-MP3-Download/11796143.html
Yeah, I'm down with ancient instruments being used in pop music. Maybe someone will put a guzheng in a good song one day soon.
-
Actually, I never understood how anyone could really dig on music without digging on drugs.
That's possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
-
Whatever, go listen to David Gilmour or Queen and keep proving my point. No drugs, no good music taste.
-
Whatever, go listen to David Gilmour or Queen and keep proving my point. No drugs, no good music taste.
So everybody who does drugs has the same taste? Or nobody who does drugs would like David Gilmour or Queen?
And yeah, they invented drugs in 2003. Nobody who lived through the 70s or 80s ever even heard of the cool shit that you do.
STFU.
-
What? No.
Most people who have good music taste do drugs, not the other way around. That is because drugs go well with good music. That was all I was saying. Also, there is a type of music that doesn't really make since without drugs or a history of drug use, probably David Gilmour is one of them, but he is a wanker so I was using him to be an asshole cause Paul is a piece of shit with awful music taste who has been a dick to me for like 5 years.
Seriously though, be honest with yourself, like 90 percent of the people you know who are really into various popular music forms also dig on drugs, or did in the past.
You can't even really name a good band that doesn't have at least one member who used drugs heavily, and if you can it kinda proves the point.
Oh, and I listen to as much shit from the 70s and 80s as any other decade. Just because there are two boring ass bands from then doesn't mean the whole decades are shit. That would be as big of a leap as taking "Or nobody who does drugs would like David Gilmour or Queen?" from what I said.
Fuck Hugh.
-
You said that you can't understand how somebody could appreciate good music without doing drugs.
As a drug user and a musician, I say you're full of shit. So would Frank Zappa. So would fuck*ng Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.
If you can't appreciate music without drugs that says something about YOU, not about music.
Seriously though, be honest with yourself, like 90 percent of the people you know who are really into various popular music forms also dig on drugs, or did in the past.
You can't even really name a good band that doesn't have at least one member who used drugs heavily, and if you can it kinda proves the point.
Yeah, and I can't name an NFL team that doesn't have a member who abused cocaine or steroids. Does that mean I have to do coke or be a juicer to enjoy football?
P.S. -- Your favorite band sucks.
-
Paul is a piece of shit with awful music taste
...
Fuck Hugh.
wrong on both counts. if he's been a dick to you, maybe you've deserved it. look at me, i'm being a dick to you now. because you deserve it. so what? how bout fuck you instead, buddy.
edit: GODDAMNIT new page
-
Yeah, I'm down with ancient instruments being used in pop music. Maybe someone will put a guzheng in a good song one day soon.
Ouch!
-
You're just lucky El Guapo ain't here.
-
[[brings lawn chair and doritos. sits, hoping for more fireworks]]
-
Keith, I wasn't being a dick to you, wasn't trying to anyway. I was just pointing out that what you said was completely and ridiculously wrong.
Sorry you feel that way about me Keith, I had no idea. I remember when you joined the board, you rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, myself included. And we've butted heads a few times, but I always liked you. I liked you then and I like you now.
I've stood up for you before too, in more ways than you know.
So no hard feelings, I hope. Or not, it doesn't really matter.
~Paul
-
You've always seemed fairly approving of my music taste Keith, I guess it doesn't really affect any arguments but I am not a drugs user.
I would agree perhaps that a lot of (but not all) interesting, good music owes itself to some level of drugs use, enjoyment of said music does not necessarily stem from the same source. And I like nearly all music that could be objectively said to contain invention or something interesting.
As said I'm not a user. I DO know people who appreciate different kinds of music when high, but it's pretty much 50/50 in terms of which way they go. One guy I know who normally doesn't care for music will sit up all night with me listening to everything brilliant, another who is normally a good sort music wise will only listen to dubstep. Which in my opinion at least is a step down from what he normally likes.
And then there's my mate who's never touched an ounce yet has a rich and voracious interest in good music. I also have a mate who is the biggest pothead and coke fiend I know but his taste in music is, frankly, awful.
So I can't bring myself to agree with your initial statement. That's fine like, everyone disagrees, I've said why I do above, I understand why you might think differently as a fellow liker of good music and a drug user.
What I can't understand why people can be so confrontational in what seems to me a pretty chilled environment. Paul for initially calling it the 'stupidest thing I ever heard' in lieu of a reasoned rebuttal, Keith for an extremely uncalled for personal attack. We're all grown men (apart from me) lads, come on.
-
What I can't understand why people can be so confrontational in what seems to me a pretty chilled environment. Paul for initially calling it the 'stupidest thing I ever heard' in lieu of a reasoned rebuttal, Keith for an extremely uncalled for personal attack. We're all grown men (apart from me) lads, come on.
I suppose I could have given a reasoned rebuttal that would have been much the same as yours Judy, thank you for that. I guess I think that what was said was so inherently and obviously stupid, George Bush invading the wrong country stupid, that a reasoned rebuttal seemed unnecessary.
But, you know whatever. Keith is entitled to his opinion and I'm entitled to mine. I am going to try to be less of a dick on the internet though. I used to be so nice.
-
You've always seemed fairly approving of my music taste Keith, I guess it doesn't really affect any arguments but I am not a drugs user.
I would agree perhaps that a lot of (but not all) interesting, good music owes itself to some level of drugs use, enjoyment of said music does not necessarily stem from the same source. And I like nearly all music that could be objectively said to contain invention or something interesting.
As said I'm not a user. I DO know people who appreciate different kinds of music when high, but it's pretty much 50/50 in terms of which way they go. One guy I know who normally doesn't care for music will sit up all night with me listening to everything brilliant, another who is normally a good sort music wise will only listen to dubstep. Which in my opinion at least is a step down from what he normally likes.
And then there's my mate who's never touched an ounce yet has a rich and voracious interest in good music. I also have a mate who is the biggest pothead and coke fiend I know but his taste in music is, frankly, awful.
So I can't bring myself to agree with your initial statement. That's fine like, everyone disagrees, I've said why I do above, I understand why you might think differently as a fellow liker of good music and a drug user.
What I can't understand why people can be so confrontational in what seems to me a pretty chilled environment. Paul for initially calling it the 'stupidest thing I ever heard' in lieu of a reasoned rebuttal, Keith for an extremely uncalled for personal attack. We're all grown men (apart from me) lads, come on.
You know, you're very very different when you're drunk.
-
I should probably check in on this thread more often. Please play nice.
Ash, I'm watching you...
-
this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obCrFJv3oRU&feature=related)
I freely admit this one would probably be more awesome on drugs. However, since the military takes a dim view of recreational drug use in general, I'm not at liberty to give it a go.
drone/doom/slow, repetitive shit - I like it, without drugs. Draw your conclusions as ye may.
-
You know, you're very very different when you're drunk.
Less of a patronising tosser?
-
Less of a patronising tosser?
More likely to offer to kick you in the pancreas.
-
SHUT UP! Shut up, both of you! God, I've never wanted to smoke a joint and listen to Haendel less in my life!! (I'm lying).
-
I should probably check in on this thread more often. Please play nice.
Uh, yeah. WTF, people?
Keith, I said this to someone else lately but it seems appropriate here: I like you, despite some significant differences, and I don't want to have to decide you are an asshole. It would make my world a less interesting place. So as a personal favor to me, could you just shut up? No more opinions about music and drugs. Please.
-
ALSO: That wombats song (Dance to Joy Division?) from GKA's mix disk is earworming the hell out of me, but in a good way. I'm gonna listen to it again and schedule a customer delivery with my planning tool.
Whoa hey what's this about a wombats song?
-
No more opinions about music and drugs. Please.
what else would he talk about? j/k
Whoa hey what's this about a wombats song?
my mix cd had a song called "lets dance to joy division" by a powerpop* band called the Wombats
*is it true that powerpop made by british bands is what is meant by the term britpop?
-
There's a band called the Wombats? People, I expect you to keep me informed of these things.
Why do I not have your disk? Were you afraid you would have to get mine?
-
There's a band called the Wombats? People, I expect you to keep me informed of these things.
Why do I not have your disk? Were you afraid you would have to get mone?
i was inadvertently inconsiderate of your feelings. i can whip one up for ya, but i think i threw away the envelope that has your address on it. maybe youll get it to me.
-
I sent you a disk? I remember none of this.
You could just email me a file of a song by the Wombats - this is something you kids today can do? - and I'd be willing to call it even.
-
Huh, I never imagined wombats with that accent.
-
I haven't listened to GKA's mix in a few weeks. I think it's time to give 'er another listen.
-
The new Gaslight Anthem.
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?hwdxx3mgm9w
Replace the "!" with an "i".
-
what else would he talk about? j/k
my mix cd had a song called "lets dance to joy division" by a powerpop* band called the Wombats
*is it true that powerpop made by british bands is what is meant by the term britpop?
Wombats are not Britpop
Britpop is kind of a cross between indie, Madchester and stadium rock tinged with '60s influence, be it Kinks, Zombies or Beatles. Think Blur 'Country House', Oasis (I hate Oasis), Pulp, Suede
Basically, clever sing along songs which are equally at home in a gig or home listening environment. May be danceable but not funky.
I am not a Wombats fan but in the interests of neutrality instead of calling them 'terrible' they are definitely of an alternative rock/pop flavour, which has crossover with Britpop but which is not Britpop. Powerpop isn't a term used much over here but is more used to describe stuff like Avril Lavinge. Wikipedia seems to corral more with your definition actually
-
Wombats are not Britpop
Britpop is kind of a cross between indie, Madchester and stadium rock tinged with '60s influence, be it Kinks, Zombies or Beatles. Think Blur 'Country House', Oasis (I hate Oasis), Pulp, Suede
Basically, clever sing along songs which are equally at home in a gig or home listening environment. May be danceable but not funky.
I am not a Wombats fan but in the interests of neutrality instead of calling them 'terrible' they are definitely of an alternative rock/pop flavour, which has crossover with Britpop but which is not Britpop. Powerpop isn't a term used much over here but is more used to describe stuff like Avril Lavinge. Wikipedia seems to corral more with your definition actually
fuck that shit!!! avril lavigne is a talentless fingertrap. the only difference between her and hillary duff is she used to be married to that dude from cum41.
(it totally sounds like im a bitter music-cock. im not sure where that mini rant came from...)
-
fuck that shit!!! avril lavigne is a talentless fingertrap. the only difference between her and hillary duff is she used to be married to that dude from cum41.
(it totally sounds like im a bitter music-cock. im not sure where that mini rant came from...)
I lolled and do not disagree with the above statement.
It would seem over here, or at least in my case, we are in the minority when we define powerpop though.
-
the perfect drug (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp5X83HjQh8)-NIN
-
Om - Pilgrimage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kwrFPuPf6w)
-
I've been in a very Morrissey Mood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C3LfTrVcjY&feature=related) tonight. Well, it is 9am so I guess "night" doesn't really describe it any longer. But in any case Moz is my main dude right now. That and that San Berdoo Sunburn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B6lOPAvx1I) song someone linked a few pages back. That shit is amazing.
-
These two versions of Gesualdo's "Moro Lasso", nonstop, lately:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_F1OuMeVSw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_q3EJNUKis&feature=related
Can't decide which sounds the scariest (wait until the end...)
-
We listened to this nonsense for a week straight while I was down in NC.
"Gogol Bordello is a Gypsy punk band from the Lower East Side of New York City, formed in 1999 and known for theatrical stage shows and persistent touring.
Much of the band's sound is inspired by Gypsy music. The band incorporates minor-key accordion and violin (and on some albums, saxophone) mixed with punk and dub."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM1Ahn0Osjo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elyQ4ShVw-Y
Live shows must be a blast.
-
I'm actually gonna go see them next month at Red Rocks. They're opening for Primus - who is the real reason I'm going to be there - but I'm still a fan of Gogol. Good stuff.
-
Gogol are superb. First time I ever saw them was on Jools Holland, best thing on the show by a mile that night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQSaYgAp2lw&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQSaYgAp2lw&feature=related)
-
I fell in love with a girl this weekend
This is the album I fell in love with her to.
It is 69 Love Songs by the Magnetic Fields.
It's superb. An album to fall in love to, an album to cry about love to, an album to pontificate about love to, an album to regret love to. 69 love songs all in different genres poking fun at, eulogising on, waxing lyrical on love
I am very fussy with music released post-1990 so take it from me, this is worth listening to. Highly critically acclaimed stuff too.
I Don't Believe In The Sun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L85cillM6ME) Kind of a Nick Cave vibe circa The Boatman's Call
Long Forgotten Fairytale (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UnWdiPUzWY) Kind of like (will fill this in when I remember who I remember). Much more lively than the song above if you didn't fancy it. Also contains a dancing girl.
A Chicken With Its Head Cut Off (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE8Uut3YRdw) Country vibes. Nice lyrics
The Death of Ferdinand De Saussure (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vykJ7-UgNQ) Just brilliant. One of those songs which keeps the same groove throughout (top bass line) but it's damn good. Kind of a bit REM-y if they were crossed with Belle and Sebastian. That's a terrible description. Just listen. Lovely chorus
Washington D.C (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ4mv8_uXzY) Cheerleader intro turns into a beautiful song about the place your lover calls home
I Don't Want To Get Over You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp5eBxU248Y) Breakup song for the foolish among us
-
I'm sorry, but I can't listen to the Magnetic Fields without thinking of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VdzV3oqRs8). I even took a related photograph (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4469254480/).
-
YES.
69 love songs is a bit uneven, but when it is good, it IS GOOD. including all of the ones linked above, I really love Epitaph for My Heart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwnLlQ6t2uE), Zebra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60p7Lx7R3VE), and Underwear.
-
If you haven't check out Holiday and The Charm of the Highway Strip. I don't think they've ever topped those.
-
I'm sorry, but I can't listen to the Magnetic Fields without thinking of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VdzV3oqRs8). I even took a related photograph (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4469254480/).
Bwahahaha. That's pretty good
I think my life's taking a turn for the worse obviously
Pass the (http://www.britishfooddirect.com/images/27-89-walkers-wotsits12.jpg) (British Cheetos)
-
Underwear.
Underwear is sort of like the best song Serge Gainsbourg never wrote, but mostly in English.
-
it is my girlfriend's favorite album/band, but I often can't stand them at all. I am a jerk.
Chicken with it's head cut off, though, wow. So good.
-
Lay off the crack mate.
-
Sorry pal. Was a bit confused for a second.
Will memorise this and post a video soon
-
Was originally not a huge fan, but suddenly, weeks later, the chorus is stuck in my head. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emy5mA8Ixtc)
-
I can't stop listening to this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekJ_n1zKsWA) due to a cover on Burnt Weeny Sandwich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnt_Weeny_Sandwich) (I like the Mothers versions better, but I can't find a good link for it). This happens to me a lot, where I put a song on repeat and annoy everyone around me.
I've been going through my Zappa record collection and listening to it all. I can't believe I never really listened to the Grand Wazoo before - it is so fuck*ng good.
-
Burnt Weeny Sandwich is one of my all time favorite albums.
-
I like this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bF-DR-aQWc).
Edit: new link.
-
styrofoam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHUbmT448mw)-fugazi
also, this is for wombat:
lets dance to joy division (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r301RIbI-Ps)-the wombats
-
Van Morrison, Poetic Champions Compose.
I mean, St. Dismas on a stick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLIYiL-UOnA).
-
the smiths the smiths the smiths.
Johnny Marr (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNOqNbIcz_Y&feature=player_embedded) does a good job of explaining why I love my guitar. He thinks about guitars the way I do... which is weird because he can actually play guitar. "the telecaster doesn't feel like you're holding anything, it's so functional... the jaguar feels like you're holding a machine."
but mostly the part where he says it feels wrong to play blues rock on a jag. i definitely do sometimes, but it is not what it is for.
he talks in this interview I read about how it's too easy to play blues on the guitar... just the way the notes are laid out, it is how your hand wants to move. This is definitely true, for me at least. I really like, though, how the way a guitar works means it's always going to be easier to play certain kinds of things. Some instruments (like the piano) you can basically play any combination of notes you want. I like that on the guitar, it's always going to be GUITAR music, even if you manage to find some awesome chord/tone/whatever no one has come up with. Even if you're sonic youth and you tune your guitars to bizarro tunings, you're always going to be limited by those tunings to certain types of sounds. I don't know why I like that, but I do.
-
Limitations inspire true creativity.
Also, yes, the smiths a thousand times. At least I can keep seeing morrissey sing even if I never had a chance to see them together.
-
Also, yes, the smiths a thousand times. At least I can keep seeing morrissey sing even if I never had a chance to see them together.
I'm still holding out hope for a reunion. I've seen Morrissey a few times (is it just me or is he getting sexier with age?) and always enjoy it but I would leave my wife and kids to see The Smiths reunited. Good thing I don't have a wife and kids. One of probably 5 favorite bands ever, and one of the two best bands of the 80s (other for me being Talking Heads). I've been listening to Strangeways a lot recently.
-
I'm still holding out hope for a reunion. I've seen Morrissey a few times (is it just me or is he getting sexier with age?) and always enjoy it but I would leave my wife and kids to see The Smiths reunited. Good thing I don't have a wife and kids. One of probably 5 favorite bands ever, and one of the two best bands of the 80s (other for me being Talking Heads). I've been listening to Strangeways a lot recently.
Completely agree with everything, except that the three best by the talking heads came out in the 70s. Fear of Music, that is their masterpiece, in my opinion.
Also, strangeways, at least with whom I roll, is hell of underrated.
-
The Smiths. I would eat my own testicles to see them re-unite.
-
Completely agree with everything, except that the three best by the talking heads came out in the 70s. Fear of Music, that is their masterpiece, in my opinion.
Also, strangeways, at least with whom I roll, is hell of underrated.
Talking Heads could easily qualify as one of the best bands of both the 70s and 80s. Most of their best stuff was released in the 70s, but the 80s saw Remain in Light (if not their best then a strong contender anyway) and their best song, This Must Be the Place.
I don't know if Strangeways is my favorite but it's up there, and I don't know why it doesn't get more love.
The Smiths. I would eat my own testicles to see them re-unite.
You win.
-
Yeah, but Judy would also eat his own nuts on a dare after a suitably boozy evening.
-
I can't get enough of the Everly Brothers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMLCnpjS4Z4) lately.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWnQPrrWpk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFAC2pgvvgc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3cToJxub3c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzEFSI0sOU
Is there anything better than really stoned country? Oh man that musical saw in the last one.
-
Also, say what you want about Texas ("fuck texas"), but they gave us The 13 Floor Elevators and The Flatlanders. Two of the most revolutionary flame out bands ever.
Sorry Paul, I am from Oklahoma. We have to.
Fuck it, here is some more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSA0Tckwbk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdWXE6La4Os
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlOBMC1RLw0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkOYZLCIppQ
Oh man that electric jug.
So, holy shit, most of those songs are from an album produced by Kenny Rodger's brother. Also, when I think of that, I think of this, again, so good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MmSl0xu0ec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eOuPeAfOeE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MECZvS4UNu0
Ex air force members making revolutionary music in Germany in 1965. I am pretty sure most bands had never heard of them in the mid sixties, but god damn do they seem to have a large influence over the best stuff that came right after them. My dad actually saw them when he was like 13, he was also one game away from the little league world series. The joys of being a kid on an air force base in Germany at that time, I guess.
Oh yeah, in a continuation of bizarre instrument hour, that is a banjo converted to a guitar playing rhythm guitar.
-
Wow, thanks for all those links man; I need more country in my life. I basically just listen to this one Marty Robbins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKrXSrqCLY4) album over and over again (and I had NO idea that the Meat Puppets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ13yGkwb2I) [!] did a cover of this until I searched Youtube just now).
So earlier I was listening to this Buffalo Springfield (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_BRz3NmEiM) song and the first 20 seconds reminded me of another song, but I could only think of tiny snippets of it. After 15 min. of furious googling, and humming, and searching through my library I finally realized I was thinking of Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZSIz0GW1oM). I felt kind of embarrassed that I could hum the first couple bars but I completely blanked on the song, but then it led into a marathon Neil Young session so it's all good.
-
I can't get enough of the Everly Brothers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMLCnpjS4Z4) lately.
Oh yeah. Great stuff. But why did they print their record labels backwards?
-
I basically just listen to this one Marty Robbins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKrXSrqCLY4) album over and over again (
Gotta love Marty Robbins. And thanks for the cool links, Keith.
-
holy crap, Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve.
The band name is stupid.
anyway, they're these two DJs who do a lot of remixes that apparently people who like remixes like.
But this album is something else. As far as I can tell, they have taken small fragments of other people's songs, and turned them into new songs.
Loop a tiny drum break, add in live bass, use the vocals from another song...
it is really awesome.
It's all kind of psychedelic rock? I guess?
Soul influence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SW-WKbdm18)
starts out electronic, gets more psychedelic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxf-LeEc0uo)
I cannot find a link to my favorite song off of the album. I found the song it samples from (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzG9cDpakhg), and it seems that basically they took a song that is just a little bit off, and turned it into an awesome song. Added loud bass guitar and drums, did something weird to the drawn-out note at the end of certain phrases to turn it into a cool vocal harmony...
-
i cant get this* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bgoFnlRw1I) out of my head.
*take your momma-scissor sisters
-
i cant get this* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bgoFnlRw1I) out of my head.
*take your momma-scissor sisters
This song appeared on a CarlosDelvaca mixdisc a couple of years ago. I was hooked. They've got at least two albums and they both rock pretty good.
Ana Matronic loves my moustache (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/423879982/)
-
I hate how much I love the "california hipster bum" aesthetic. (http://www.fatpossum.com/promo_pages/wavves) Pot and cheap beer and fuzzy guitars.
-
I liked wavves til I sw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xt77uWUemY&feature=related
that is actually pretty decent, but just live clips in general, then this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs3-QS1RRTg
just turn the distortion up all the way in garageband basically is wavves. I really like Best Coast and The Muslims/Soft Pack though. I also still love the song So Bored. I really still like most of it, just don't really "respect" it I guess.
-
it is really interesting/funny to me when people criticize Wavves in certain ways. It is like "he is not a real band" or "his music isn't ACTUALLY good."
a lot of this lo-fi stuff coming out now, well... I love it a lot. And it kind of brings me back to when I first heard punk music, or when some archetypal person first heard punk music (Mike Watt?) and thought "oh shit, I could do this. I could totally make this music. Fuck. I'm starting a band, right now."
which reminds me of this girl I have been hanging out with this summer (my friend's roommate). She aggravates me because she wants to get into these weird arguments which are based on things being... real?
""Chillwave" isn't a real genre, it was just a joke some blogger made up, it isn't real."
Like. There are some bands that sound a certain way, and a guy made up a word for it as a joke on how people make up stupid names for genres, and then people started actually calling those bands by that name. Hah.
I mean, genres are just shorthand ways of explaining what something sounds like. I do not really care about some sort of complex theoretical underpinning or historical basis if it is a word which tells me that certain bands sound alike. They all sound kind of boring but I guess I see why some people like them.
I guess what you are saying has nothing to do with that. I just don't get either of these things. This post makes me feel like linear.
-
"oh shit, I could do this. I could totally make this music. Fuck. I'm starting a band, right now."
Yeah. This line right here unnerves me.
The idea of music as a pose that really anyone can access, at any time, without really having to have talent or skill as long as you know what to fake when. Just find a pose you like, turn up the distortion and if your friends think you're cool enough, viola et voici, le band. Learn to play your instruments, learn how to sing, learn how to play as a band and write songs and...
Then, by all means, break all the fuck*ng rules you want later to do all kinds of crazy things. But starting off knowing how to do your shit gives you the artistic depth to know why breaking this rule or that rule is interesting or compelling makes playing with the medium REAL, not just some goddamned art-school Williamsburg hipster who thinks that having a band will really fit his lifestyle and his image. Music is great for projecting a cultural image, sure, but if music is ONLY a cultural image, it does nothing for me.
I've seen three shows in the last two weeks. Adrian Belew, Weird Al Yankovic and Zappa plays Zappa. This probably says it all about my internal conception of rock music.
-
And yes yes, my one exception is my love of Guns N Roses.
But if you don't understand how GNR is the exception that proves the rule, I don't know what to tell you.
-
I've seen three shows in the last two weeks. Adrian Belew, Weird Al Yankovic and Zappa plays Zappa. This probably says it all about my internal conception of rock music.
I'm jealous. I should probably go see Belew, since he just lives up the road a little in Cincy. How was ZPZ?
-
or, you know, maybe music is a fundamental part of being human that all humans have always done, forever, until in certain cultures it became a thing that only special people do, and it became wrapped up in this whole mystique of being "art" and something that requires special talent and training.
I'm not saying "anyone can be the beatles." they are obviously geniuses. that has nothing to do with what I am saying here.
I'm saying, it is not that hard to learn 3 chords and have fun with your friends. that is a fun thing, and almost anyone can do it, and that is GOOD.
and again you bring up this concept of something being "real." What makes it real? When you listen to it can you hear "oh, this guy really know the names of all these chords. That Asus2? He knows that he is removing the minor third and adding a second, and not just taking one finger off the chord." Who gives a fuck.
I also think the ramones are brilliant, and they are definitely of the "we are a couple of idiots who bought instruments and started a band" variety.
also, I hate all of the music you like, so I guess we're never going to agree on this.
wait, and what does GNR have to do with anything? they aren't good enough at their instruments for you? isn't slash considered one of the best guitarists by people who like that kind of guitar playing?
man, fuck this noise.
-
Chill out Inev., you're gonna have an aneurysm.
-
or, you know, maybe music is a fundamental part of being human that all humans have always done, forever, until in certain cultures it became a thing that only special people do, and it became wrapped up in this whole mystique of being "art" and something that requires special talent and training.
Can't it be both? I mean, I think that's one of the great things about how the internet is changing the distribution model for music. Music is becoming less of a spectator sport. Until the phonograph, music was pretty much a participatory activity. You either sat around the parlor and played the piano and sang, or went in person to a performance.
You know, it's OK to enjoy playing music without expecting it to be your profession. It's fun to play music and to listen to your friends play.
On the other hand, I have great respect for talented, accomplished composers and players. I never will understand the disdain for technical achievement or sophistication in music. I mean, It's OK to like playing the guitar unless you want to play it really well? WTF? People who have great ability and who put huge amounts of time and effort into their music are to be admired, not sneered at.
Music is here to be enjoyed, not analyzed. Quit overthinking and start listening. You are not who you listen to. There's great music everywhere if you open yourself to it.
-
What August Said.
-
Zappa Plays Zappa was... pretty fuck*ng incredible.
Being a person who is only familiar with parts of Frank's catalogue, a good half of it was unknown to me and... you could tell at points where Dweezil was "keeping up" with his father's material not through having his dad's talent but through sheer years of practicing those individual songs...
But, Christ, the other guitarist and the drummer were outstanding, the male and female vocalists brought on to cover some of the distinct voices were spot-on and the rest of the band was at-least-competent.
Having gotten second row seats comp-ed through an old LA connection helped, of course.
As for Belew, he's doing this Northeastern mini-tour where it is just him and a guitar and a shitload of effects and delay pedals and... it was insane how much sound he could fill between his talent and judicious use of technology. Absolutely insane.
-
honestly, I just don't enjoy listening to a lot of people who are considered technically skilled.
unless it's jazz.
I have no problem with the idea of getting really good at an instrument. it's just that most of the time people who are "really good" play music that I really, really dislike.
I guess, upon further thinking, what it boils down to for me is:
-being really really good at your instrument does not mean you make good music. maybe you're a great improviser, maybe you can do great covers, maybe you can play 500 notes a minute, but you just write shitty music. that is OK. i just don't want to listen to you.
-it is really easy to make music. it is pretty hard to make good music or great music.
I mean, I am not arguing "anyone who can play 3 chords is a genius who can make great songs." I'm saying, there are people out there who make great songs, in my opinion, and are not technically proficient at their instruments. at all.
it's not about saying X category of person (technically accomplished/not, has played for 30 years/hasn't) can or can't make great music. It's about the idea that, contra LFM, it is OK and fine to make music when you aren't some sort of extra-special super-trained artist. that's all.
on a personal level, for whatever reason a lot of the time the music I like is not technically proficient. Especially when it comes to rock music.
I just get mad about this attitude where Wavves or whoever gets dismissed because he's just some loser bum who records music in his bedroom. Do you like listening to it? why do you care whether he knows the name of that one weird chord in that song? do you know the name of that chord? good for you.
also I am perpetually enraged by LFM's thing where he doesn't like X, therefore X is made due to some sort of horrible malicious force.
but really, I don't understand why anyone has anything invested in the idea that it should be really hard to start a band. I can buy a canvas and throw some paint on it, but that doesn't make me Jackson Pollock. What Jackson Pollock does isn't hard to do, technically, and from a certain perspective "my five year old could do that." But that doesn't diminish the fact that, you know, he does it really damn well and it's awesome. The fact that the barrier to entry to saying "I am a painter" is pretty low doesn't mean that good painters aren't good.
-
BIG ELECTRIC CAT.
BIG ELECTRIC CAT.
BIG ELECTRIC CAT.
BIG ELECTRIC CAT.
-
honestly, I just don't enjoy listening to a lot of people who are considered technically skilled.
Really? I find that very difficult to believe/understand. Does that hold true across time and genres or just for modern popular music? Please give some examples of people who are technically skilled whom you do not enjoy. We should also probably clarify what you mean by technically skilled. Do you mean plays really fast or something more than that?
-
I think I see what you're getting at. Being technically skilled is not the same thing as being flashy in a way that makes people say, "wow, that guy is technically skilled." Not always a distinction I make.
I guess I prefer musicians who take a less-is-more approach to their instrument/composition. That is a better way to say it.
So what I really don't like is... flashy guitar playing.
-
Dude, not liking Yngwie Malmsteen or however the fuck he spells it is not the same thing as not appreciating virtuosity.
-
Speaking of Adrian Belew (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVIKF03KkVM). Christ, I love this song. I almost never prefer a live recording of a beloved song to the studio version, but there's just something about this... arrangement? The mix is much better on the extended version of The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads, but cool video.
-
Speaking of Adrian Belew (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVIKF03KkVM). Christ, I love this song.
That's a cool jam.
I almost never prefer a live recording of a beloved song to the studio version
I love to hear a band reinterpret their songs for the stage.
-
The Dukes of Stratosphear.
You all know and love XTC right? Well, in the '80s they went a bit nostalgic and started a psychedelia pastiche/homage group.
I Am The Walrus + Bowie maybe? The outro is EXTREMELY a Colin Moulding bass line though (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-fL68DbcQ0)
-
In the late 60s everyone had to do a concept album to try and keep up with the Beatles. Most couldn't hang. A lot of British Invasion bands dropped by the wayside in the wake of Sgt. Peppers.
-
Dude, not liking Yngwie Malmsteen or however the fuck he spells it is not the same thing as not appreciating virtuosity.
I mean, sure. But I don't really listen to any guitarists who I would call virtuosos.
I guess Django? He also breaks my "I hate jazz guitar" tendency.
Funny story: this Wavves album is not really that lo-fi at all. it kind of sounds like... green day or something?
-
Funny story: this Wavves album is not really that lo-fi at all. it kind of sounds like... green day or something?
I liked him before he sold out.
-
in other news, my friend's band's music is in an ad for Kate Spade.
or, I guess, she is someone I interacted with in my radio station job, and I met her in real life a few times. My roommate knows her well enough that he's probably sleeping on her couch when he's in NYC?
I don't know how to link to a video that's on facebook, so, I guess if you are facebook friends with me you can see it.
the famous story about this girl is that I talked to her on the phone every week for the radio station, and then we were facebook friends, and then I saw her on the lower east side and went up and said hi. This was apparently kind of weird. "Hi. I'm... dan? from KWUR? We talk on the phone?"
I think as I was walking away I said "she is so fuck*ng cute" loud enough that she could hear. Oops.
-
ok, I seriously can't stop listening to this song.
OH! and Miles, apparently Jay Reatard's backing band is playing with Nathan Whatever on this album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5biCmyJQtM
-
ok, I seriously can't stop listening to this song.
OH! and Miles, apparently Jay Reatard's backing band is playing with Nathan Whatever on this album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5biCmyJQtM
Ah, good to know. I like that song.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwlogyj7nFE
I love how they alternate between the pleasant shots of LA, close-ups of band members which are good, and HORRIBLE 90S CRAP WITH ALL THE FILTERS AND.. AHHH.
When I moved away from LA as a little kid, my aunt made me a mixtape of songs about California, and I just realized that this song was brand new when she put it on there. Whoaaa.
Plus: he has my guitar. (although apparently on the record he's playing a strat.) Lately I am totally over the buzzy treble thing, and I'm realizing how awesome and rich my guitar can sound with all the pickups turned on. Some reverb, some tremolo maybe, ALL RIGHT. Thick chords.
-
Man, that new wavves shit sounds so boss. I always liked what he was trying to do, just he was taking a cheat to get there. Now he is not.
-
wait, so where can I download that Best Coast stuff? Didn't do it the first time then tried to read through this thread and couldn't find it. then I started being a dick to paul and stopped reading, so, please, if you could, another link?
-
So I finally listened to this Wavves guy?
Only the one song, I guess, "Post Acid" the first single off the new one? Slate just did a huge article on in.
http://www.slate.com/id/2258792/ (http://www.slate.com/id/2258792/)
And... I mean... I didn't like actively hate it but I don't know that I'd leave a radio station on if it was playing.
Somewhere under the junk was a decent hook but it just came off like the closing credits music to a late-1990s self-conscious slacking-off comedy that couldn't afford a Weezer song.
-
I will never understand the process by which singles are chosen.
I mean, that song is fine, but it isn't the song on that album that has been stuck in my head for a week.
-
Somewhere under the junk was a decent hook but it just came off like the closing credits music to a late-1990s self-conscious slacking-off comedy that couldn't afford a Weezer song.
Hey, that's pretty good. You should submit your resume to Pitchfork. Seriously.
-
I always liked what he was trying to do, just he was taking a cheat to get there.
What?
Jimi Hendrix can't actually play guitar backwards, either.
I'll look for a place to download Best Coast, but actually all I do is "best coast site:mediafire.com" on google. The new album is coming out in a month or so, I think. Right now it's all just singles and an EP.
-
Jimi Hendrix can't actually play guitar backwards, either.
Huh?
-
Huh?
sargasm
also:
time to waste (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4xY5IRLZ1A)-alk3
-
Huh?
I just really don't get Keith's thing where "Wavves are good, but he is just turning up the distortion on GarageBand to get that sound."
My response is, Jimi Hendrix can't actually play the guitar backwards. They just put the tape on backwards on that song (I forget the one with all the backwards guitar... manic depression?). Is that "cheating"?
-
Oh my god, I'm in love with music again. I stole my mother's ipod and everything sound so freaking good.
-
stolen music always does sound the best.
...to a heartless thief.
-
Oh my god, I'm in love with music again. I stole my mother's ipod and everything sound so freaking good.
Just out of curiosity, what's on Mama McRae's Ipod?
-
Just out of curiosity, what's on Mama McRae's Ipod?
Yes, please share.
I'm listening to...
Neil Young! Man, totally nonstop since Saturday.
I bought Big Boi's new album, which I had already heard a couple weeks ago and love, and couldn't keep it in my car's CD player for more than 2 songs because I needed to hear some more Neil.
-
Just out of curiosity, what's on Mama McRae's Ipod?
Well my mother's mp3 collection is basically mine. I gave her a hard drive a couple of years ago with about 20k songs on it. She doesn't have any mp3s of her own. But theres a pretty good overlap in our tastes.
I don't know what was on the ipod though because it wouldn't sync to my itunes. So I erased it and put my own selections on there. I just listened to Keith's Mozart Mix from a few years ago.
Right now Im listening to Doc's mix. There has been some Neil Young and Cake, Beatles, Ice Cube and a bunch of other shit.
-
Neil Young, dude! Neil Young! Anyone catching him on his solo tour this summer?
-
I just really don't get Keith's thing where "Wavves are good, but he is just turning up the distortion on GarageBand to get that sound."
My response is, Jimi Hendrix can't actually play the guitar backwards. They just put the tape on backwards on that song (I forget the one with all the backwards guitar... manic depression?). Is that "cheating"?
I don't know man. Maybe just like it kinda sounds like shit, whereas he could have bought a decent distortion pedal and a shitty tape recorder and made the same sound better and barely slightly more complicated. Cheaper too, though probably had the computer already.
Like I don't actually like the way Wavves sounds, and it is pretty grating after a whole album, but I like his take on what a song should be?? And like I kinda see what he is going for with the sound and would like to hear what he wants it to be, but that ain't the way to go about getting it??? Either way the new one is the shit, so whatever.
Also, found all the best coast shit. I do it the same way as you, but the first time you linked them I couldn't find anything. This time it was all over. New album out July 27, I am pretty stoked. Also, downloaded the new Soft Pack album today, haven't listened though. Anyone in to the Muslims/Soft Pack? Muslims self titled pretty bad ass.
-
ah, I get what you were saying now. I thought it was the idea of using GarageBand that bothered you, not the actual sound of it. Which is why I didn't get it.
I really like the Muslims/Soft Pack. I saw them in NYC 2 years ago and thought they were the coolest ever. The drummer played his drums standing up, but still had a kick pedal, which I thought was cool. At one point he was playing a solo on the floor tom/stood-up-kick-drum/whatever it was with both sticks and the pedal, it was cool.
-
I have this Muslims LP (http://www.insound.com/The_Muslims_The_Muslims_LP/productmain/p/INS44038/) and like it quite a bit, but bought it mainly because the cover is shot with a .22. I've only heard the first track off of the Soft Pack album, and it pretty much kicks ass. Pretty sure I was introduced to them through the board.
-
Holy Shit new Soft Pack has so much surf guitar. Awesome!
-
i need you back(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6ceDmTsV8k)-ben kweller
-
I didn't want to like this Tobacco album, Maniac Meat, but I did!
-
I slept on the new LCD Soundsystem for awhile, and it turns out to have like three awesome songs.
Also, Caribou - Swim. Like an improved version of Royksopp.
-
Has anyone been watching any of the videos featured in the AV Club cover song series? I'm not crazy about Coheed and Cambria's cover (http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-smiths,38875/) of a favorite song by The Smiths, but it did make me want to listen to the album, which is on now.
-
exit strategy-valient thorr (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvyJdFhX-1w)
-
Has anyone been watching any of the videos featured in the AV Club cover song series?
I was not aware of this. I like the Wye Oak cover of The Kinks. Go local band! A friend of mine works in the restaurant where she waits tables.
I've been in the mood for metal lately, and I just discovered Acid Bath (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKj-F00i938). They win for creepiest cover art ever (painting by John Wayne Gacy).
-
there goes the neighborhood-body count (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rloidlFbi4w)
fuckin yeah!
-
I have been to Wye Oak girl's restaurant.
is your friend a really cute girl? There is this really cute girl who works there. My friends got mad at how cute I thought she was.
-
Ben Folds covering Elliott Smith is basically constructed for me to enjoy.
-
I have been to Wye Oak girl's restaurant.
is your friend a really cute girl? There is this really cute girl who works there. My friends got mad at how cute I thought she was.
No, he's a really gruff bearded dude who works in the kitchen and hates it there.
They also have really bizarre cocktails that kind of seem like a joke the bartenders are playing on the patrons. Like bourbon with bacon grease and a large piece of bacon in it.
-
Speaking of covers: Jenny Owen Youngs will cover any song I want. Choosing which one is really, really difficult.
-
PSA for all you MD/DC/VA/PA folks: Whartscape (http://www.whamcity.com/) is happening next weekend in Baltimore and the lineup is incredibly good.
Lightning Bolt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFAOdcNBZD8&feature=related)
Wye Oak (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF7sAjVcFJM&feature=related)
Beach House (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ipyWYO3LM)
Future Islands (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oECMdFpMp-c)
Double Dagger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poycE5WN2K0)
The New Flesh (http://www.myspace.com/thenewflesh)
Ian MacKaye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_MacKaye) (doing a Q&A, not playing unfortunately)
...and like 100 other bands playing over 4 days. Gonna be awesome!
-
like ten million of my friends will be at that. I am jealous. i will be at Pitchfork this weekend, and then a bunch of them are road-tripping out to the coast to visit friends/go to Whartscape.
-
That is just too many ironic band names for me.
I have no idea what the bands would sound like but I am certain that many ironic band names being involved, I would not enjoy myself.
If you are named "Lightning Bolt" or "Double Daggers" you had better be a fuck*ng metal band from, like, Sweden who doesn't understand English enough to know where you went wrong.
If you are named "Beach House" you had better be a Jimmy Buffet cover band and... even then, I will not listen to your stuff because it is not for me.
But if you are lo-fi bo-ho tru-fund douchebags who only tour between Echo Park and Williamsburgh and back with maybe a stop at a festival in Chicago sponsored by The Onion, I dunno.
I dunno if I can handle that. I don't know if I can handle that level of second-hand PBR fumes.
Also, I am exaggerating for comic effect, Dan, so settle down. I am having some fun.
-
Ian MacKaye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_MacKaye) (doing a Q&A, not playing unfortunately)
Ask him some good questions for me. Like, will Fugazi ever play together again? OK, bad question. But the song '23 Beats Off,' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DInMgpg05SU) which I understand is about/inspired by Magic Johnson contracting HIV. Is the title of the song suggesting that Michael Jordan avoided the virus by beating off instead of banging tons of ladies?
-
blahblahblah
(http://www.joewrite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/haters-gonna-hate.gif)
-
Wait, that's in response to LFM, right? Because I totally fuck*ng love Fugazi.
-
but those band names are not ironic. Lightning Bolt are a really intense loud high-energy band that is like... metal-ish. At the very least their riffage shows a love for high-speed metal. Beach house are dreamy and beach sounding. There is nothing ironic about those names.
-
Wait, that's in response to LFM, right? Because I totally fuck*ng love Fugazi.
Oh crap yeah, it was. I didn't see that you had posted. It is impossible to hate Fugazi.
-
OK, good. Because seriously, I'm curious.
But my favorite Fugazi song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm30_yddY5M).
Also, the subheading of that clip: "Fugazi. Grunge. The real deal." The fuck?
-
It is impossible to hate Fugazi.
I like a lot of music that is similar to you (i would guess) and I fuck*ng hate Fugazi (underlined). I have never gotten past like 30 seconds of one of their songs. That is a lie, they have this one song that my roommate plays that is good, but that is it. Every time I try to download that shit I listen, get annoyed, delete. Same thing with Husker Du, the Minutemen talk about how Zen Arcade pushed them to make Double Nickels on the Dime, so like, shit, thats got to be awesome right? No, not to me. The difference between me and LFM is that I won't get mad at you for liking them. I only do that with my roommate for liking Dub Step and only cause he is supposed to be better than that. Dub Step shows are fun though if you like uppers and synthetic hallucinogens (I do).
-
If that link was telling of what a Fugazi is, I don't care for it.
I'll not mess with y'alls dander on this one but it wasn't my thing.
-
... if you like ... synthetic hallucinogens (I do).
Well at least we can agree on something! (other than dub step is lame) <3
-
So do you all like Husker Du? Should I try to get in to them again? Is Zen Arcade where to start? I mean, from what I understand they broke up because one was addicted to speed and the other heroin, they were in the same general scene as the replacements (only because of geography?), and they were liked by/inspired/had a friendly rivalry with the Minutemen. They have to be good right?
-
The only album I've have of theirs is Zen Arcade and I really like it. I guess if you've checked it out and it wasn't your thing then there's not much point in forcing it?
-
Sometimes you got to let shit mellow. With most of my long time favorite bands I was intrigued and turned off on first listen.
-
god damnit, I typed a big ol post about Husker Du and then my computer ran out of batteries.
Basically, I dont' like Zen Arcade, and the more people try to tell me how great it is, the less I want to listen to it. They always talk about how it's a double album with an overarching story, blah blah blah, as if that will make me say "awesome" instead of... feel even more overwhelmed by listening to it.
It's kind of like when my girlfriend, upon hearing that I hate the Hold Steady, said "wait, but, do you know their songs are all based on true stories?" yes, that's part of what I can't stand. every song is I KNEW THIS GIRL, AND SHE WAS HOT, BUT THEN SHE WAS IN THE "SCENE," AND SHE DID TOO MANY DRUGS, AND SHE DIED, BY THE BANKS OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER.
But anyway, I like "Celebrated Summer" off of New Day Rising (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtCL1xq6hNU). This song is freaking awesome, and fun to play on guitar. I talk very frequently on my show about this song, because it does a "deconstruction" of husker du (on a simple level)-- it has an awesome chord progression, but is way too fuzzy and trebly, and then there's a part with acoustic guitar arpeggiating the really great chord progression so you can hear it. You are kind of missing out because you can't hear the bass that well on this youtube video, during the little call-and-response thing at the start.
and Land Speed Record. oh man land speed record. the only album I've heard that frustrates me with its lo-fi-ness. So badly recorded. The second song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_gxTYnO188) (starting at about 2:00) freaks me out. *RIFF RIFF RIFF* TWO THREE FOUR. Always reminds me how much I love hardcore. The first song is good too.
I also read that the "key" to Husker Du is their cover of the Gilligan's Island theme. Except as far as I can tell the "key" is just "oh, the bass guitar plays the melody."
-
I also read that the "key" to Husker Du is their cover of the Gilligan's Island theme. Except as far as I can tell the "key" is just "oh, the bass guitar plays the melody."
Oh, so they're like the Chilli Peppers?
-
Haha
-
Dub step is fuck*ng shite.
Anyone here a Jens Lekman fan?
-
Fine you ingrates.
Listen and wet yourself at the beauty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYs6-Sb4NLI)
-
Never really given him a listen before now but hey, that's pretty nice.
-
Glad you like it mate.
This is pretty, well, pretty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ncZvHMZ2qw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ncZvHMZ2qw)
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Dfv9hMnaw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Dfv9hMnaw)
Something more uptempo
-
Those reminded me of Johnathon Richman.
-
Gorillaz Plastic Beach.
I was initially disappointed by the "pop-iness" of the tracks, but realized that its part of the theme. The songs explore artifice and shallowness, and pop music is the vehicle. Haven't decided whether it works for me though.
-
Just threw Del Shannon's Greatest Hits on the iPod. I've been listening to stuff from 2010 exclusively for like two weeks. So now I'm about to flip the switch and spend some time in the 50's/40's for awhile.
-
Cass McCombs -- I Went to the Hospital (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRdlvvPDI54)
-
Just threw Del Shannon's Greatest Hits on the iPod. I've been listening to stuff from 2010 exclusively for like two weeks. So now I'm about to flip the switch and spend some time in the 50's/40's for awhile.
Del Shannon is from the 60s mainly. Well his one huge hit is anyway.
-
Del Shannon is from the 60s mainly. Well his one huge hit is anyway.
Yeah. Runaway '61. Best song is Sister Isabelle.
Hell yes, The Searchers - Love Potion #9
-
I saw Best Coast girl (Bethany Cosentino) smoking out of an apple.
Pitchfork was pretty awesome.
-
What a waste of an apple.
-
chicago-sufjan stevens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDRrqcZbdPU)
-
I saw Best Coast girl (Bethany Cosentino) smoking out of an apple.
Pitchfork was pretty awesome.
There was a period of time in high school when the foodstore next to the school could not keep apples in stock fast enough to keep up with the bonanza of smoking out of apples. I don't remember how it started or why it stopped, but the age of smoking out of apples is one of my more bizarre memories. Good to hear its still going on somewhere.
-
pitchfork was awesome. Just really well run, everyone was really courteous and helpful, they handed out free water in excess, bands were great, crowd was great. Bought a cheap poster and too many beers/water bottles. No cool t-shirts, that was the only down side.
Saw:
best coast (pretty good, but made me realize a lot of the songs are more background-music for me)
pavement (AMAZING, AND I WAS SO CLOSE TO THE STAGE)
majer lazer (not really my thing)
beach house (not really my thing, but a pretty good performance)
modest penis (kind of bad, my friends who like them said they didn't play enough of their older stuff. plus isaac brock was drunk, and not in a fun way)
liars (OK)
Real Estate (didn't realize how much I liked them! pretty awesome.)
Tallest Man on Earth (don't understand why singer-songwriters make me so mad. Part of it is definitely feeling sexually threatened by them. But seriously, even his music bothered me to an unreasonable degree)
LCD Soundsystem (pretty fun)
Panda Bear-- man, this was really disappointing. didn't really go anywhere, didn't play any songs I recognized.
jon spencer blues explosion-- sounded pretty good from where I was eating my overpriced burger.
raekwon-- I can't tell if I just don't "get" live hip-hop, or the members of Wu-Tang are just too old. Second member I've seen, second mediocre show.
Lightning Bolt-- really awesome. as they played all of the girlfriends kissed their boyfriends and ran away. except my girlfriend, because she is awesome.
all in all, a great time. really well organized, and I always felt like I could get as close as I wanted (except for pavement, my girlfriend couldn't see for most of the show.)
generally just great. only marred by me being a stupid idiot who gets upset about stupid things.
I am pretty sunburned, but mostly I tanned due to constant re-application of sunscreen.
-
Of all those bands, I... like Modest penis pretty well.
Care less for their early stuff so I'da been happy.
-
Saw:
...
pavement (AMAZING, AND I WAS SO CLOSE TO THE STAGE)
...
modest penis (kind of bad, my friends who like them said they didn't play enough of their older stuff. plus isaac brock was drunk, and not in a fun way)
...
jon spencer blues explosion-- sounded pretty good from where I was eating my overpriced burger.
raekwon-- I can't tell if I just don't "get" live hip-hop, or the members of Wu-Tang are just too old. Second member I've seen, second mediocre show.
I'm jealous of the line-up but I hate festivals, so I'm never able to convince myself to go.
Seeing Pavement in September. So excited. Same place I saw them 13 years ago.
Your Modest penis comment reminds me of back in the day, back when they used to open for Built to Spill a lot and so I'd see them a lot. When Isaac was drunk they were terrible. So fuck*ng terrible. But when he was sober, they were fuck*ng amazing. Also, I liked their songs more back then. They just recently played a free show here in Salt Lake, but the place was set up so terribly and there were so many people I couldn't even see the stage. But it didn't sound too great.
I didn't even realize Jon Spencer were still playing. Saw them a long time ago, too. Really fun.
I'm realizing that I am so old.
I haven't seen Raekwon but I've seen Ghostface and GZA, and both shows were so boring. I saw Wu-Tang pretty recently, and that was really fun. Who knows. In fact, aside from that Wu-Tang show, I think the only other hip-hop act that I've ever really enjoyed live is the Roots, which maybe makes sense because they produce records like a rock band does, or used to anyway. And I'm used to those kind of shows.
-
yeah, the other Wu-Tang member I saw was GZA. Boring, turned up to the show over an hour late, stopped some songs half way through.
-
Yeah, same with when I saw him. He was supposed to perform Liquid Swords in its entirety, and I guess we got every song but like only half of most of them. It was like he didn't give a fuck at all.
And I forgot to comment on this:
Panda Bear-- man, this was really disappointing. didn't really go anywhere, didn't play any songs I recognized.
I'm disappointed to hear this, but not too surprised. I saw Animal Collective last year, and although I had a great time (I was really fucked up), on reflection, of what I could remember anyway, the show was pretty lame. In fact I remember thinking that they were just kind of jamming, in their own kind of way. Like some kind of weird indie electronic Phish. And I've really liked their studio stuff. So it's no too surprising that Panda Bear would be like this.
-
That is even disappointing to even read that Panda Bear was not good. I guess that is just the nature of that music.
I would see Animal Collective in Long Island City (Queens) in like two weeks, but that is the week I'm camping up on the Woodstock trip. Man what a hippy-esque sentence.
Anyway, I listened to Louis Prima all day.
-
What a waste of an apple.
Blazing out of an apple is pretty good. You can still eat it afterwords. Not that much resin builds up in just a single smoke. Gives it a mesquite taste, I always thought resin sometimes smelled like Wendy's BBQ sauce anyway.
Better than an aluminum can. Got to blaze on a lunch break, just smoke an apple, then eat it. Ultimate workday refreshment.
-
I went to see an acquaintances' band tonight, and instead I had my mind blown slash raped.
Two of my best friends are brothers in a band together. The band used to have a lot of promise, but honestly they have completely stalled. We saw the acquaintances' band play we and went to another bar, Tuesday night, bit after midnight. The older brother who was the most recent addition to band was annoyed that he found out that the band wanted to re-record something without much consultation with him. The dude said to his younger brother, the founder of the band, in complete anger and totally out of character, "FUCK this band," and walked through the bathroom door we were all standing right next to. He is a sometimes a hothead and he slammed the bathroom door with probably 30% of his strength. An 18 by 18 inch picture frame of the t-shirts the bar sells fell off the shelf above the bathroom door, it free fell, spinning, about six feet towards the earth's gravitational pull, and the corner of the metal picture frame spiked the younger brother, the band founder, right in the top of the head, rebounded off some dude's chest and the glass shattered into a hundred pieces right at my feet.
I looked at the younger brother, the man who is basically my kindred spirit (we share a birthday 366 days apart), and I wondered what hurt him more, his brother's (possibly my oldest friend) comment, or the moderate concussion he just received. Within five seconds every pore in his face was pouring sweat and I wasn't sure exactly which reason was the cause. I stood there with a half drank bottle of Bud in hand, sober, with absolutely no clue how to react, jaw dropped in the stark display of reality the universe had bestowed upon me.
"Fuck your band," was not so hurtful enough that the brother had endure a falling picture frame corner to the top of the head. For minutes, you could see in his eyes that he had no idea what had happened, on any level. I witnessed the frankest display of shock and uncertainty that I could have imagined.
I had a conversation with a horribly unlucky friend in Atlantic City city two months ago. I said, "you have to look at it this way... it would be less surprising - more probable - that the same bet pays off a million times in a row than the fact that we simply exist, right now, right here. It's so improbable that we can simply converse like this, that there is no stroke of luck that cannot possibly be made apparent in your life. Magic may very well exist, there is no streak of probability than can surprise me any longer."
Take this as the ramblings of a drunkard if you will, but keep in mind, that I have a degree in medical science as a doctor. I'm a fuck*ng doctor, and I've observed in great detail exactly what makes life what it is.
Tonight I am convinced. Simply existing is the peak of improbability. No coincidence the universe throws at me can possibly surprise me anymore. As Louis C.K. said a few weeks ago, "I've seen too much."
Thanks for reading my night's recap. After about fifteen minutes of tension outside the bar, I broke the heft of the night's occurrences with a laugh, and to tie in an actual Achewood reference, the three of us ate 4:30 am dinner at Uncle George's Greek Taverna. I had lemon sole, side of cold garlic mashed potato, but we had all overfilled on Italian bread with a generous side of tzatziki for dipping.
-
It's tough being in a band with your brother.
-
It's tough being in a band with your brother.
(http://blog.showclix.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/the-kinks.jpg)
Tell it to these guys.
-
Or these guys.
(http://www.gloriousnoise.com/images/oasis.jpg)
-
Or even these guys...
(http://theenvelope.latimes.com/media/photo/2005-11/20288727.jpg)
-
Yeah, the list of successful groups with brothers working together is long. That don't mean it was easy.
-
Yeah, the list of successful groups with brothers working together is long. That don't mean it was easy.
I was agreeing with you Paul. The Davies brothers used to beat the crap out of each other all the time. And the Gibb brothers were even worse. They used to make each other wear cheesy looking white suits.
-
The Davies brothers used to beat the crap out of each other all the time.
Your first picture didn't show up and I'm not that familiar with the Bee Gee's history. But yeah, the Davies bros are the gold standard for dysfunctional, yet very successful brothers in a band.
-
I'm not that familiar with the Bee Gee's history.
They were the ones who wore the cheesy white suits.
-
They were the ones who wore the cheesy white suits.
Did they really have rocky relationship? I imagine there was a lot of coke involved.
-
their singing style came from a childhood game where they would punch each other in the nuts.
also: that troll who introduced pavement is apparently infamous for giving them a similar introduction in the 90s. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWC2p6J-lAM)
-
also: that troll who introduced pavement is apparently infamous for giving them a similar introduction in the 90s. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWC2p6J-lAM)
What does that have to do with tacos?
-
It's a metaphor.
-
How could you have possibly thought that guy was being serious?
-
1. i wasn't close enough to see body language
2. the thing I saw had a longer introduction where he just seemed like a dick (i used to be a DJ, maybe you've heard of me, we were the coolest station around back then, blah blah) and didn't immediately start in on the really over-the-top stuff.
I mean, after a bit I could tell he was trying to get a rise out of the crowd. I just didn't get what the point was.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZprVPg06-YM
The lyrics seem pretty standard/boring, and yet I can't help but love the chorus.
-
anyone into hip-hop? I want to like it, but I can never get past Wu-Tang Clan and Fear of a Black Planet. When I am in a hip-hop mood I listen to those two things, and then I am satisfied.
-
anyone into hip-hop? I want to like it, but I can never get past Wu-Tang Clan and Fear of a Black Planet. When I am in a hip-hop mood I listen to those two things, and then I am satisfied.
i like the idea of hip hop more than i like most things that fall into the category. its not as easy to find the cultural expressions because the thugs and major-label people get most of the attention. i dig:
fatlip
aesop rock
krs one
i hear good things about:
mf doom
atmosphere(his music isnt for me, though)
dead prez
whole wheat bread
-
Nerdcore will rise up, bitches.
I think you would like Jesse Dangerously (http://www.dangerously.ca/). Just a feeling I have.
-
I want to like hip hop, mainly because I never want to be one of those old people that are assholes about what the kids are listening to. They are almost as annoying as most kids that think music was invented the day they were born, or more correctly about 10-12 years after they were born.
But mostly I don't like too much hip hop. I kinda got into the Roots for awhile. There was a Wyclef album that I really enjoyed. Some Beastie Boys stuff I like. Snoop is pretty cool, I even saw him perform once (opened for RHCP), but in all honesty the only song of his I could name is Gin and Juice. And of course I like a lot of the classic tracks such as Baby Got Back, Funky Cold Medina, etc...
I like how hip hop has become "real music" using instruments and shit and not just scratching on a turntable or whatever. See, that last sentence totally reads like some old asshole talking about what the kids are listening to... Anyway, I've seen some hip hop acts on television in more recent times and thought the bands were fuck*ng hotter than hell. The only drawback I could find was the MC him or herself. You got this shit hot band jamming they ass off with this idiot spitting out a bunch of bs about guns and cars and women. Hip hop has really evolved into an aggressive form of R&B with the MC a vestigial element held over from earlier times.
So yeah, I'm not a big fan of hip hop, but I'm not against it either. And I'm certainly not one of those old assholes that is likely to say something such as "I love all kinds of music except rap. I HATE rap."
I can never get past Wu-Tang Clan and Fear of a Black Planet. When I am in a hip-hop mood I listen to those two things, and then I am satisfied.
I have Wu Tang Forever, I should give it a listen to see if it still bores me. I also recently got AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted. Some of that sounded kinda interesting. But I've only listened to a couple of tracks.
-
Hip hop was alive for years, but now it is officially dead. It's too late to start getting into it, guys, it's all over. Eminem just released the last relevant hip hop album and that caps it all off.
-
hiphop is dead. books are irrelevant and wasteful. [[sings]] ...and i feel fiiiine!
-
I'm not much into hip hop but I do love a melbourne group called Hilltop Hoods (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSFT2OKcdk0).
Scroobius pip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESvYRR1Fyug) also makes it onto every mix-tape I make.
For ages I associated hip hop with gangster rap and I care about lyrics too much so singing about bitches and shorties and drive bys just pissed me off. I like the non-gangster hip hop though and of course the nerdcore (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOB6LeLraFM)is the bizzledy.
-
I don't know if we are making a hip hop/ rap distinction here(don't really know what the difference is), but I really dig Illmatic by Nas, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is better than Black Planet, and ATLiens by Outkast could be one of the top ten albums ever made, you know, depending on the day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRTH9D0epTs
Oh and the new Big Boi album has a track with George Clinton. It is pretty bad ass. About dope: smoke, don't choke seems to be the moral.
-
people keep telling me that about nation of millions, but I just don't get it. i need to listen to it again, obviously.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7MjgcNXZLs
This song alone makes it one of the greatest hip hop albums ever. My favorite part is "stay strong sister."
-
Paul, I suggest you check out Mos Def. Not just because white people like Mos Def (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/17/69-mos-def/), but because I like him, and I like the other hip hop acts you said you enjoyed.
Also, A Tribe Called Quest.
-
As to what I'm listening to: the new National album, High Violet. Oh yes, very much so.
http://vimeo.com/11653518
-
mos def and common are both rad hip hop dudes that talk about 'the streets' a lot, but dont glorify ignorance/negativity.
(rap is part of hip hop)
-
My friend Emma sings on this (http://"http://thespecialityorchestra.bandcamp.com/album/the-speciality-e-p).
I told her the price was exorbitant, but I bought it anyway.
-
I can't recommend Jurassic 5 highly enough. Literate MCs with real skills? Oh yes, please. Unfortunately their label is aggressive about takedowns and they've only uploaded 4 videos of their own to Youtube, but still. They're good at what they do.
If You Only Knew (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVKoFXN7JHk)
Quality Control (title track from an excellent album) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgpDN-bARwc)
Concrete Schoolyard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeN9c2GYJkk)
High Fidelity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KfXj_fcUkI)
I Am Somebody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_XNt0JbpN8)
-
Gangsta rap was mercilessly executed when 50 Cent released his second album. Gangsta rap - true gangsta rap - was the height of hip-hop and best of it was fueled by feuds. But after Tupac and Biggie were no longer producing music, gangsta rap basically became a quest to answer the question, 'who is the most gangsta?'
Well after his first album, Get Rich or Die Trying, 50 Cent had answered that question. The album created the most powerful image in rap's history. And then every album he released after that was an effortless pop hackjob piece of crap. The talent had disappeared. 50 had won "the rap game" more decisively than any MC in history and then, with his popularity, he cut the head off the chicken. Gangsta rap was dead.
So since 2005, this proverbial chicken has been running around waiting to die. The only really significant albums since then have been a few of Kanye's, and maybe arguably a pair from Lil' Wayne. That's because in the post-gangsta era, these two were the only artists to introduce touches of psychedelia into the music and they benefited greatly. So that brings us to the lastest Eminem album which will probably be the last hip-hop ever recorded with any effort going into it.
Now there is officially nothing new that can possibly be done within the rap/hip-hop genre without removing it from that genre. DEAD GENRE. There are no gangstas anymore. Where have all the gangstas gone?
-
Here is a DJ Format jam that not only features dudes from Jurassic 5, but has an awesome video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhZt4i92aSA
Supposedly the MCs were supposed to come to the video shoot but didn't, so in a last-minute effort to save the day, the director went out and got the costumes for the backup dancers and had them go to town.
-
lately I am so tired of playing chords.
I am all about Real (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfi2HJGziAA) Estate. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AePShfa66LU&feature=related)
-
I like rap and like talking about it. The new Big Boi is very good. Better than Speakerboxxx, which I also like. I don't think I've ever heard melancholy done better in rap than Unhappy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf_f3E2xSUk) from that album. Second the ATLiens recommendation, throw in Aquemini too.
And of course Illmatic, which really should serve as a template for all rap records. Excellent production, no obnoxious skits, absolutely no filler and flawless delivery on every track.
Enough can never be said about Public Enemy. I'm not an expert on the history of rap, but they may have been the first really sonically interesting group. It was all pretty basic before them.
Other favorites, somewhat in order, and off the top of my head:
Liquid Swords -- GZA
Madvillainy -- Madvillain (Madlib and MF Doom)
The Unseen -- Quasimoto (Madlib)
The Blueprint -- Jay-Z
Enter the Wu-Tang
2001 -- Dr. Dre
Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP -- Eminem
Champion Sound -- Jaylib (Madlib and J Dilla)
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, the original and "sequel" (though quite different) -- Raekwon
Supreme Clientele -- Ghostface
The Chronic, Doggystyle and other various Dr. Dre stuff from the early 90s
The Pretty Toney Album and giraffescale -- Ghostface
Purple Haze -- Cam'ron
Ridin' Dirty -- UGK
Dr. No's Oxperiment -- Oh No (Madlib's brother)
Also, it's worth checking out as much J Dilla as you can. Maybe start with Donuts? That would probably be somewhere on that list.
Edit: My favorite J Dilla (http://vimeo.com/4262780) track.
Not really rap or hip-hop, though the influence is there and heavy, but I love the new Flying Lotus, Cosmogramma.
-
holy shit this free thing (http://www.scion.com/garagefest/)
ty segall, thee oh sees, best coast, king khan, times new viking, nodzzz, happy birthday... YES.
I LOVE ROCK MUSIC.
I will trade so many days of work with people in order to make sure I can go to this.
-
ty segall, thee oh sees, best coast, king khan, times new viking, nodzzz, happy birthday... YES.
oh my god i'm old
-
That looks fun. I have friends in Lawrence KS.
-
traditional native american vibes + evil circus disco = win (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHHLoWle5Oo)
-
Anything featuring Duane Denison is definitely worth a listen. Not to mention Mike Patton.
-
right now I'm listening to: really intense ringing in my ears due to playing my guitar with the amp at almost full volume.
um, oops. too much treble.
this ringing in my ears is really loud.
-
Aw yeah, new Budos Band album.
-
HOLY fuck*ng CHRIST MADVILLIAN.
OH MY GOD MADVILLIAN.
...
MADVILLIAN.
I really don't get it. I do not listen to a lot of Hip Hop. But for some reason Hip Hop is the one genre where I have reactions of OH MY GOD, THIS IS BETTER THAN ANYTHING THAT HAS EVER BEEN. I HAVE NEVER HEARD ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY LIKE THIS.
I guess probably because rock music doesn't have a lot of directions it hasn't gone. And Hip Hop makes me listen to lyrics.
It's also the only genre that really makes me THINK about things actually going on in the world. Can't explain how much Public Enemy and NWA blew my mind when I was 17.
yeah, I guess hip hop is also a situation where all I want is virtuosity heaped on virtuosity.
(also, 36 Chambers is a Lo-Fi album, discuss.)
-
HOLY fuck*ng CHRIST MADVILLIAN.
OH MY GOD MADVILLIAN.
...
MADVILLIAN.
I think my heart's explodin'!
-
pavement (AMAZING, AND I WAS SO CLOSE TO THE STAGE)
So I saw Pavement Sunday before last, and it was fuck*ng awesome. Same place I saw them first time around (Paramount in Seattle, possibly my favorite venue ever, at least as far as theaters go). I was looking for a bootleg of the show on dimeadozen, and found one of the Pitchfork show, complete with DJ Troll's introduction. Sound is OK. I can't tell if it started out shitty and got better, or if it started out shitty and I got used to it. But if you have an account and you're into that kind of thing, it's worth checking out.
Also: Grinderman 2 fuck*ng rocks. If anyone liked the first one this one is definitely worth a shot.
-
I met Stephen Malkmus once, after a Kids of Rock Pac NW show. He seemed nice.
-
I can't stop listening to the best post Ronald Jones Flaming Lips song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMHtimeHX8k
So good.
-
New Neil Young (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uDwvJK0YdI).
I don't know. I mean, I kinda like it. Little bit Into the Black, little bit Vocal Studies. I haven't been crazy about his lyrics for a while, but could be good. Right?
-
rot in hell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_RA42a0b9s)-the nekromantix
bam bam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n4WwW4hZ60)-toots and the maytals
-
I spent a lot of time wondering whether I'd be able to get the weekend off to go to garage fest, AND THEN FORGOT TO PUCK UP MY FREE PASS BEFORE THE DEADLINE.
Kill me.
-
Scott Walker has recently been recommended to me. I'm just a touch nervous about him.
-
I just know that I love that song that was in Life Aquatic.
My GF's roommate, who I disagree with on almost everything about music, says he is great.
Or, no. We disagree in a way where we like a lot of the same stuff, but when she talks about why she likes or dislikes certain things, it makes me want to scream.
Recently: we saw Wavves, and she said Wavves was great. I said they were not that great, but, sure. Then we talked about the opening band. We agreed that they sucked.
But then she complained for several minutes about the guy's guitar tone. How his amp was made for clean, trebley tones and he had too much bass in the mix. How he wasn't using the right kind of effects. etc.
Whereas my problem was "they are really boring to listen to."
-
I was listening to Little Feat tonight. They were excellent!
-
New Deerhunter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mBSOtdOjoc
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uowHgu2ZYSg
-
YEAHHH new deerhunter.
-
Hey have you listened to it? Thoughts? I fuck*ng love it.
-
i've been re listening to Tyranny for You the past couple days/weeks. god damn is that better than i thought.
it's weird to me how 5, 10 years can make things sound so very different.
and i think it's in the hidden/extended track but whichever, but it's neat to hear like, shit that possibly inspired babyland and etc that you'd never heard before.
seriously, seriously underated and underappreciated album.
there are days i'd like to round up the "kids" with their "#####" and their "hair cuts" and their "attitudes" and make them listen to Soul Manager on repeat until they break 26 and get a real job.
-
New Urge Overkill! (http://www.spin.com/articles/exclusive-urge-overkills-first-song-15-years?utm_source=spintwitter&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=spintwitter/r:f)
-
squeeze me macaroni/cantina band(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHVBQ6Ab9ns)-mr bungle
-
Matador 21 is streaming (http://pitchfork.com/festivals/matador-21/myspace/). Sonic Youth and Pavement still to play tonight.
-
After watching that, I think I just figured it out, Sonic Youth are the indy rock Grateful Dead.
-
I didn't watch cause I am seeing Sonic Youth Monday!
I could have seen Pavement in September, but they were playing at this awful venue like 30 minutes away. The 1st Bank Center. If you are thinking of counting, count me out on that one.
-
Sonic Youth is finished. They are setting up Pavement's equipment right now.
-
Seeing Sonic Youth on Tuesday! Saw Pavement in September, and you should have.
After watching that, I think I just figured it out, Sonic Youth are the indy rock Grateful Dead.
I saw them in July but I wasn't close at all, and didn't realize how old Kim Gordon looks.
-
Maaaan, after seeing them on Colbert I don't know. That was pretty bad and it was one of my favorite songs.
-
Maaaan, after seeing them on Colbert I don't know. That was pretty bad and it was one of my favorite songs.
Pavement or Sonic Youth?
-
Pavement, I'm guessing. They were on recently and played Gold Soundz. I really liked the show I went to, but granted it was at what is possibly my favorite venue.
-
Yeah, Pavement.
Also, I need an excuse to go to Red Rocks, would have seen them in a second there.
-
Where my cousin lives in the Denver burbs, you can basically walk to Red Rocks.
Didn't see a show there but drove past it when some jam band "The Discobiscuits" were playing and... so many would-be nouveau hippies.
I felt so old, even though a significant minority of the faux hippies were at least a bit older than I am.
-
Pavement played McMenamins Edgefield (http://www.mcmenamins.com/54-edgefield-home) recently. I didn't go - I was out of town. I did see Al Green and Crowded House there, though, and they were both fantastic shows.
-
I'm trying to find some chiptunes I like for study music. Mainly I've been enjoying the chilled out stuff like failotron (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmTu43D0sPw&feature=related) which I originally heard on PATV.
-
Sonic Youth is finished. They are setting up Pavement's equipment right now.
the first time i read that, i was like "damn, that's cold."
-
Yeah, that's how I read it at first too.
"They are so terrible, I have now internally demoted them to another band's roadies."
I am... glad someone else made this mistake so I can admit to it.
-
It took lfm spelling it out for me to read it any other way.
-
That does make a pretty awesome metaphor, and to some fans during the 90s may not have been too far off the mark.
-
So, Garage Fest:
Nodzzz were awesome. I think my girlfriend has a crush on the lead singer, and it makes me mad. But I will like them a lot.
Thee Oh Sees were awesome, but kind of grossed me out. The lead singer kept deep-throating the mic, and then spitting something out. None of my friends can agree whether he was "just spitting," spitting out that nasty shit you get in your mouth when you chew tobacco, or puking a little bit.
It was also weird how much he creeped me out. As soon as I saw him on stage, with his muscle-head head and huge arms and tiny eyes, I was like "oh no, he is going to be an asshole." Kept thinking about this video where I saw him beat someone over the head with his guitar.
Then after the show he was wearing a knit sweater and shaking fans' hands. "Thanks so much, I'm glad you enjoyed it, I had a lot of fun tonight."
I was mad that lately my glasses have gotten really loose, and every time I tried to dance around they fell off.
Times New Viking blew. Last time I saw them I liked it a lot. This time something was way off.
The Clean were super super bad. My girlfriend loves them, and loved it, and kept talking about how they are "legendary."
The thought I kept having was "this isn't watching a band perform, this is watching a drunk dude practice his guitar." It is clear that he has gotten a lot more proficient at the guitar in the last (twenty?) years, and is bored of playing the actual fuck*ng guitar parts, and was just screwing around. The guitar was way too loud, he kept messing with his amp, and he never played the same riff more than once. Really really frustrating to listen to. The drummer and bassist did not look as frustrated as I would have been by this.
Then I got mad that it was so bad, and stomped around instead of going to see any of the "headlining" bands. Couldn't get in to see King Khan, so then I watched The Oblivians for a little while. Kind of boring.
My girlfriend has gotten really into the New Zealand music scene from the 80s and 90s, and it makes me feel like LFM. "These bands have stupid names. They all sound the same."
-
Times New Viking
Really?
...really?
Really. Really!
-
you not only like the band Guns and Roses, you like a band called Guns and Roses. You don't get to make fun of band names.
-
It was the stage name of their singer plus the stage name of one of their guitarist who quit early on.
Not the best name, sure, kinda jock-dumb... but it doesn't smack of trying so gosh darn hard to be clever that your brains fall outcher damn ears.
"Times New Viking".
It's like a Snorg tee-shirt design that even Snorg thought was too fuck*ng stupid.
Oh God. Trying... so hard. So very hard to come off as off-handedly stupid.
How much did of their trust funds did they pay some "hip" P.R. firm in Williamsburg, where they totally wear jeans to work and have a pingpong table in the lobby, for that gem?
"Times New Viking". Holy shit.
-
ok, this is a pretty dumb argument.
What do you guys think makes a good band name? I have spent a lot of time thinking of band names, and what makes a good band name, but all I remember is deciding that Pavement is one of the best band names ever.
Also, I want to be in a band called Weed Kills so bad. Mostly I just want a shirt that says that.
-
I think Weed Kills has been done.
I was going to name my band "Anal Sweat and Goat Vomit", but that was in elementary school.
My wife and I call ourselves Necrosexy.
-
Just... just say it out-loud, Dan. Say "Times New Viking".
Consider the way it is a forced-clever re-appropriation of a common slightly-nerdy thing that is "square" and then using a "Zombies Versus Ninjas" logic on the end to use the double meaning of the idea "Roman" in a secondary context. Roll it around in your mouth, oh, how it tastes like ashes in there, okay?
It is like that line in the Simpsons where the two kids are like "Peter Frampton, that's soooo cool" "Are you being sarcastic?" "I don't even know anymore..." It is so ambivalently meta, is it a bad attempt at sounding cool, is it an attempt at being so bad it is cool? It is about hiding from the responsibility of having to take a side on the issue of trying... and it tries. so. fuck*ng. HARD. at it.
I have never read a sentence fragment in over thirty years of reading every single thing my gaze falls upon that is trying so hard to seem like it isn't trying.
It wants to impress people SO MUCH that it has to try to impress people who are only impressed by not trying to impress them AT THE SAME TIME.
It is a name that loves the Eighties so much that it has to pretend it hates the Eighties in case the Eighties doesn't like guys who come on too strong.
If anyone needs to understand why irony has to die, just say "Times New Viking" to them and they will instantly sign your petition.
-
how can you enjoy anything?
-
I can enjoy a lot of things! The new Ben Folds is pretty good. The new Venture Brothers was fuck*ng outstanding. So is "The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret".
But something I can't deal with is when people play that "battle of who can care less". Trying to split the difference between apathy and effort so that you can feign whichever to whoever wants what.
Holy shit. Being sincere can be awesome and being satrical can totally be awesome too. But trying to conveniently hide behind "we're not really trying" when you fuck up...
I think it is what pisses me off about noise bands too. "If you like it, it is because we are awesome, if you don't like it, fuck you, you don't understand that we're not trying and that's the point!"
Fuck that. It... it is everything that is wrong with human culture, that goddamn attitude.
-
Fuck off.
I saw Sonic Youth today, it was pretty awful. Maybe I was just spoiled by MBV and Dinosaur Jr., but have you ever heard noise rock that isn't very loud? It is pretty boring. You need that volume to suck you in, make it all encompassing. They did like 5 minutes of pure feedback at the end and my ears didn't even hurt a little after the show. Just, like, it sounded cool I guess, but was impossible to get into cause it was way to quiet.
-
I think that your problem is that you are confusing "not trying to do what LFM likes" with "not trying." You have mentioned before this idea that Sonic Youth "aren't trying." How can you possibly think this? They have been a band for something like 30 years, have put out tons of albums, toured every continent except Antactica. They are also, as far as I am concerned, really fuck*ng good at their instruments.
-
The best band name is clearly "Spaces Old Phoenician". There.
EDIT: Hang on maybe Times New Polanski is cleverer
-
Once again Miss Waterfield wins the game that no one knew they were playing.
I decided in a pathology tute this morning that I wanted to be in a band called 'Lady Sperm' but I've been a bit sleep deprived lately.
-
For the longest time I've wanted to make a thread called "Post fictional band names you think up here," one, for jokes, and two, to catalog the band names I think up and want to remember. It was right after, for some reason, the name popped into my head, "Why Yes, I am The Viceroy." Since then I've amassed this whole list of good to bad band names, the worst of which being "Miley Cyrus Nip Slips Dot Com."
-
For the longest time I've wanted to make a thread called "Post fictional band names you think up here," one, for jokes, and two, to catalog the band names I think up and want to remember. It was right after, for some reason, the name popped into my head, "Why Yes, I am The Viceroy." Since then I've amassed this whole list of good to bad band names, the worst of which being "Miley Cyrus Nip Slips Dot Com."
Yeah, but then you'll just get sued like RivrFenix or whatever they used to be called before they had to change their name to FenixTX
-
I like the name Time New Viking.
-
My "next band name" for about 15 years now has been New Century Schoolbook. Maybe one of these days I'll actually get a band together again and use that.
-
I have never read a sentence fragment in over thirty years of reading every single thing my gaze falls upon that is trying so hard to seem like it isn't trying.
Never? How did you keep track? How did you know you were going to need to?
-
your mom and dad
BILF(breakfast id like (to)fuck)
minute maiden
-
tragic sans
the inner limits
newsy lewis and the hues
-
my friends are theoretically in a band called Barbeque Masters. I was kind of playing with them for a while, but I think we need at least one person who knows how to write a song.
Also the drummer can't keep time, and not in a "fun" way.
-
There's a way that having a terrible drummer is fun?
-
There's a way that having a terrible drummer is fun?
yes. generally involves his/her [the drummer's] access to copious amounts of cocaine and/or a large trust fund with zero oversight and/or a promiscous girlfriend who works at the Sharper Image.
inre Times New Vikings, i'll settle this debate easily. the name is fuck*ng retarded, but if they rock out then its moot. AC/DC's name is more retarded then a crack-addled retarded spider monkey, but they rock the fuck out so the debate over their name has no merit.
additionally, most, if not all, band names are completely fuck*ng retarded, but, yes, in a myriad number of ways. see: guns and roses, rapeman, def leppard, yngwee malstroem, etc, etc, etc. belle and sebastian? seriously?
inre sonic youth, a band full of complete virtuousos can be completely boring-assed boring. much of the enjoyment of partaking of rock (etc) music is the visceral connection the listener/partaker makes at an emotional level with the band. failures are usually more emotional than perfection. more emotional generally equates to more connectedness, which then makes one more likely to nod their head and say "groovy".
this is akin to the difference between the ice cold super model bitch with auto-cad generated features that you can slice deli meat on, versus the girl next door whose nose is crooked and her knee is scraped and tears are beginning to well behind her dark brown doe-eyes.
if i had a chance to listen to a freeze-dried, perfect sonic youth and a sonic youth full hate, angst, and gin where they kick at their pedals in frustration because they haven't quite figures out how to join that one chord to that one riff yet,
well,
i've got a band aid and a bottle of bactine and no room in my heart for stainless steel appliances.
inre interpol, i am listening to interpol _right this very moment_. they have a very, very dumb band name. they _alm.....ost_ rock out.
they are like a really hot high school girlfriend who lets you touch her breasts but only _outside clothes_.
god dammit, this could really be kick ass.
i mean, it's great and all,
but it could _so much better_.
-
Did I start this argument? I think I did.
BTW, I used to play in a band called Instigator.
-
Nearly every band name is stupid, yes. The greatest rock band of all time, their name is a pun on "beat/beetle".
But, jeez, "Belle and Sebastian" at least is just straightforwardly named after a children's cartoon. Perhaps sarcastically, perhaps sincerely but at least straight forwardly.
"Times New Viking" is just such a goddamned affectation. It is so painfully and consciously constructed.
Sure, if the band is good that's all that should matter but someone who'd think that such a "trying hard not to try" band name is a good idea to have is probably making music that is far more conscious to the social pose they exist within than making good music and those bands almost always suck. There are rare exceptions but they prove the rule.
Punk is supposed to be rebellion, somehow, but The Sex Pistols were put together by a dude who owned a fashion boutique. This is important. This is important to remember.
-
Yeah, these kids today and the crazy things they name their music groups.
-
Crazy would be fine!
The Dipthong-Weebops would be simply dumb but not actively offensive.
Meta-posturing is what offends me.
-
I think what LFM is trying to say is he wants New Times Viking to taste the curb.
-
Meta-posturing is what offends me.
there are way more important thing to be pissed off about.
-
I am not a fan of bands names that sound like a person's name but aren't. Because they are hard to alphabetize.
-
Oh sure, there are definitely more terrible things going on in the world than the world's worst band name.
However.
We've been over all that shit and, at this point, we've talked about those things so much that it just hurts to talk about them.
That's why we have things to riff on like terrible terrible band names and baseball rosters.
For we have no mouth and we must scream 'bout something.
I assumed this was a given.
-
My thrashmetal band was named Tranessence. Metal is hilarious when it's done right.
I was gonna name my electro-big band (where I dress as a doctor), "Magnum Foramen Opus." But it turns out that dim mfers have not heard of either of those terms.
-
I think the best band name I've heard fairly recently was "Trojan Hearse".
I do like "Minute Maiden", though.
-
I do like "Minute Maiden", though.
its from an "in living color" sketch. jim carrey plays an old astronaut pitching a powdered orange-flavored beverage comparable to tang. it went something like: "blablabla, i drank this every day when i went to the moon. [[sip]] minute maiden: it tastes just like a woman."
-
When I was in High School I created an imaginary punk rock band I named The Walking Assholes. The guitar player was Larry Gondwanaland, on bass was (you ain't) Jack Slick, and the drummer was Egore. In my mind they were a Ruttlesesque piss take on punk rock.
-
LFM, how do you feel about the name "Camper Van Beethoven"?
-
I'm all about hating band names, but I still don't, after like 50 posts trying to explain it, get what is so wrong about Times New Viking as a band name. I saw them a couple years ago, and they were really boring so it's not like I am particularly interested in defending them or anything, but it's never occurred to me that the band name is worse than most other band names out there. Maybe there are some cultural references I'm missing? Hey, look at this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_New_Viking#Miscellaneous):
Their name, "Times New Viking," is a play on the popular typeface Times New Roman
But maybe that just strengthens your resolve.
One of my favorite real life band names is The Gun Club. I can't really spell out why, but I just love it. I also like the title of their best album, Fire of Love. Also, The Mekons and Shellac. They just sound good. Shellac in particular is fun to say. And I know I said I'm all about hating band names, but I really can't think of any aside from bands that I genuinely hate, so probably I don't care about band names, unless the name is really good.
Most offensive band name: Anal Cunt? I'd say that's up there.
-
miles: that's exactly why I hate the name so much. it is SUCH a torturedly self-conscious joke that tries to pretend it is an off-hand joke.
Nabu: Camper Van Beethoven certainly sounds dumb but I ain't gonna say it is "Times New Viking" level stupid.
miles: Anal Cunt is actually a mildly funny name for a band. It cheerfully accepts that it is just being an asshole and goes with it.
-
It never occurred to me that "Times New Viking" was a reference to Times New Roman for a long time. When I did realize, I was like, "oh, huh." I do not really care. It is kind of a silly name.
I just don't see all these levels of caring/not-caring/whatever. I only see a kind of stupid band name from a band who are sometimes pretty damn good, and sometimes really boring.
The Sex Pistols were organized by a fashion shop dude, and the Ramones came first and were a couple of dudes from Queens who decided to start a band even though they were bad at their instruments. The fact of the Sex Pistols is not some kind of weird secret to understanding all bands that have come since them.
-
in re: lo-fi recording.
I have realized that sometimes things are "lo-fi," and sometimes things are actually badly recorded.
This came to me when I started hearing things that are, you know, actually badly recorded. Something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_gxTYnO188&p=143900126AE554AE&playnext=1&index=15) is actually recorded badly-- sometimes you can't hear things very well. It's really tinny, and mushy, and I wish I could hear the damn guitars and the bass.
But sometimes, people intentionally make things sound a certain way, because they like that sound. Part of this is often an emulation of old-fashioned recordings-- no overdubs, recording things relatively live/in the same room, etc.
There are also things where they purposely make it sound really weird. Times New Viking, for example, makes everything sound pretty mushed together and fuzzy. I didn't realize they had two vocalists until I saw them live, I thought it was just a really fucked up recording of one person with a weird voice. Ditto for Thee Oh Sees, actually.
The band Women have, in interviews, talked about how they kept telling the guy who engineered their record to make it sound shittier. They purposely put it through filters, recorded it onto shitty tapes and then dubbed it a million times, etc, because they wanted it to sound hazy and fuzzy and weird. This is, as far as I care, no different from things like Flanging (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanging). Theoretically, fuck*ng with the tapes something is recorded on is "bad." You aren't supposed to do that. But someone (according to wikipedia there are multiple possible origins for this) was trying to figure something out, and fucked up a tape, and realized that it was a cool effect.
Wait, actually, this is also basically what distortion is. It started out as "we are turning up our amps really loud and our tubes are overheating," but then someone realized that this sounded awesome, and now people do it on purpose.
Similarly, if you listen to, say, Guided by Voices, there are a lot of "mistakes" left in the recordings. As far as I can tell, this happened on purpose, but possibly as a result of years of recording on shitty equipment, and realizing "hey, it sounds kind of cool when there are weird fucked-up things in the recording."
I don't know. I like mistakes. It is less of a weird fetish for me than it was a few years ago. But when I first heard "Bee Thousand" it completely blew my mind.
Similarly, I want to get better at guitar, but the people I consider good at the guitar are not necessarily the people you would consider good at guitar. That does not mean I am trying to be bad at guitar.
-
I think Anal Cunt is sort of a weak name. It does seem, however, that the name thing is becoming more difficult. You can't name your heavy fuck*ng band Black Sabbath anymore. Too late! Can't name your band the Misfits, which is a pretty awesome name, especially given the inspiration. Bad Brains is pretty simple and classic. Stooges. Nine Inch Nails. I sort of ignore the names now, or at least don't put much stock in them.
Smashing Pumpkins is a band name that kind of bugs me, though. That may just be because I think the band is annoying.
-
The last good band name left is "Security Device Enclosed".
And for all I know, someone is using it and just isn't famous yet.
-
Similarly, if you listen to, say, Guided by Voices, there are a lot of "mistakes" left in the recordings. As far as I can tell, this happened on purpose, but possibly as a result of years of recording on shitty equipment, and realizing "hey, it sounds kind of cool when there are weird fucked-up things in the recording."
Lots of albums from the 60s have mistakes all over them because in many cases they were recorded on the fly with shoestring budgets under extreme pressure to produce in a limited time frame. Those records are classics now despite the mistakes and poor recording because they are fresh and immediate and made by brilliant geniuses in some cases.
But music isn't recorded like that anymore. Today, even an entry level band can gain access to top flight equipment and basically all the time in the world they need to get things done properly. I'd hate to think there was a band too apathetic to fix the mistakes in their recordings. Or even worse, a band that is inserting "mistakes" into their recordings as part of their aesthetic. I hope that's not going on.
But I'm not going to judge, if that's your thing, by all means, have at it hoss.
-
But music isn't recorded like that anymore. Today, even an entry level band can gain access to top flight equipment and basically all the time in the world they need to get things done properly. I'd hate to think there was a band too apathetic to fix the mistakes in their recordings. Or even worse, a band that is inserting "mistakes" into their recordings as part of their aesthetic. I hope that's not going on.
The closest things I can think of to this that I like are:
On Sleater-Kinney's final album there's a song that they managed to nail on the first take. After the song ends you can hear them laughing at their luck. That's kind of cool.
On the BT song Never Gonna Come Back Down most, if not all, of the lyrics are improvised by Mike Doughty. After the song is over you hear BT laugh and clap and Mike says "this is what I do for a living"
-
I think that the rock tradition of leaving the end of a live track in if something interesting happens at the end of the good take is a little different than "sounding bad because it is teh roxxorz to sound bad".
-
I think that the rock tradition of leaving the end of a live track in if something interesting happens at the end of the good take is a little different than "sounding bad because it is teh roxxorz to sound bad".
Yeah, adding in studio dialog between songs was pioneered by The Beatles, one of the most polished bands ever.
-
um, guided by voices recorded their (earlier) albums on shitty home tape machines in the 80s. that is why they had a lot of mistakes, weird sounds, background buzz, etc. But I think it is awesome that they sound that way.
also: (Her Majesty) was originally placed between "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polythene Pam"; McCartney decided that the sequence did not work and the song was edited out of the medley by Abbey Road Studios tape operator John Kurlander. He was instructed by McCartney to destroy the tape, but EMI policy stated that no Beatles recording was ever to be deleted. The fourteen seconds of silence between "The End" and "Her Majesty" are the result of Kurlander’s lead out tape added to separate the song from the rest of the recording.
The loud chord that occurs at the beginning of the song is the ending, as recorded, of "Mean Mr. Mustard".[2] "Her Majesty" ends abruptly because its own final note was left at the beginning of "Polythene Pam". Paul applauded Kurlander's "surprise effect" and the track became the unintended closer to the LP. The crudely-edited beginning and end of "Her Majesty" shows that it was not meant to be included in the final mix of the album; as McCartney says in The Beatles Anthology, "Typical Beatles - an accident." Consequently, both of the original sides of vinyl close with a song that ends abruptly (the other being I Want You (She's So Heavy)).
"sounding bad because it is teh roxxorz to sound bad".
BUT IT IS YOUR SUBJECTIVE OPINION THAT IT SOUNDS BAD. THEY ARE TRYING TO SOUND THAT WAY ON PURPOSE, BECAUSE THEY THINK IT SOUNDS GOOD.
I think that the guitars in heavy metal sound idiotic, but that doesn't mean they are scooping their mids in order to sound bad. are you retarded? like, seriously, what is wrong with you? Can you seriously not understand how someone can like something that you do not like, and not be making a weird pose, but actually like it?
-
I never realized that Abbey Road was a lo-fi album.
-
this is also humorously mirrored in LFM and my argument about college radio. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4721.0.html)
-
Hey Keith I saw Sonic Youth tonight and they kicked fuck*ng ass. Sorry you caught them on an off night.
You have mentioned before this idea that Sonic Youth "aren't trying." How can you possibly think this? They have been a band for something like 30 years, have put out tons of albums, toured every continent except Antactica. They are also, as far as I am concerned, really fuck*ng good at their instruments.
I don't know if LFM really made this claim, but if so I imagine it probably was based on a pretty limited sampling of their material. Kim and Thurston can be pretty irritating and some of their stuff really does sound like they are just fuck*ng around. Thurston, particularly in the early 90s, could be kind of snotty and I can see how that comes off as insincere and effortless or whatever. But yeah, they are definitely sincere and take it all seriously. I think they also really try to push the envelope when it comes what rock musicians typically do, especially on their self-released albums. You may not like it but they aren't hiding from criticism behind a wall of laziness. They may not give a fuck what anyone thinks, but any artist going out on a limb like that probably isn't going to care, at least to a point. And I mean Lee Ranaldo. That guy's fuck*ng awesome, a fantastic guitarist and songwriter.
LFM, have you listened to Murray Street? I mean I don't really care whether you like Sonic Youth, but it seems that most of my friends who like the band but also have pretty different tastes like this album. Thurston's obnoxiousness is pretty much entirely gone and if you just can't stand Kim, skip the final two tracks. I also think that each member's skill is pretty well on display. I'd say it's worth checking out, but I make no promises.
Another band name I like: Slint.
-
I really want to like Sonic Youth, but they just don't do it for me. Maybe it's as you say Miles, I just haven't heard the right stuff. They do have a very deep catalog. What I have heard, to me sounds like artlessly played noise devoid of melody and sense of rhythmic timing. I don't deny that they are a beloved band with a significant following, but what they do doesn't appeal to me. I don't think for a minute though that they're not trying. You don't put together a 30 year career in music by not giving a fuck.
-
As a guy who has been recording songs on shitty equipment for like 5 years- sometimes shit happens and it is good and you leave it. Sometimes shit happens and it is bad but the rest is good and it is too hard to take out, so you leave it. Sometimes it is bad and you can take it out and you do.
Also, as a guy who just listened to Times New Viking, I don't think they really deserve us arguing about them.
-
I really like this song, and sometimes I like their other stuff, but there are definitely better bands out there. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov9DxBC8Uks)
-
Ohh I got one, "My Fair Malady."
-
vengenace is mine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LvY3CtFes8)-iced earth
-
If I'm reading the thread correctly, I believe that the argument is that lfm hates bands where the guy is wearing a t-shirt that says "I'M THE GUY WHO SUCKS AT GUITAR" on the front and "PLUS I GOT PRETENSION" on the back, and inev is saying that that guy is just wearing the shirt ironically.
-
In your metaphor, VW, which is actually pretty close to a point, I'm actually arguing that the dude in the shirt is trying to have it both ways.
He's trying to wear the shirt ironically AND unironically to cover all his bases, which is what bothers me a lot more than if he was just doing it ironically. He wants to be able to say "isn't it awesome that I'm not really trying, isn't it indie and lofi and pure and unaffected?" to the hipsters and "fuck you, of course I'm not trying, THAT'S THE POINT that I'm affecting!" to squares.
THAT'S the attitude I hate. From ON THE ROAD to BLITZKRIEG BOP to... the kinds of bands Dan likes to champion... more than anything, that's the attitude I hate. The pose that is supposed to defend from all attacks by hiding under the equivalent of, okay fuck this is nerd, rotating your shield frequencies to keep the Borg off. You know? Shifting ablative irony armour that allows you to hide from all responsibility in your creative choices by always keeping your level of sincerity vague.
Like the asshole who starts talking about the Muppets in the way where he is skirting whether he actually likes the Muppets or whether he is ironically posing a guilty-pleasure attachement to a childhood memory, in case you are the kind of person who thinks that any sincere attachment to a "kiddie" property is uncool.
(http://www.acollective.com/tshirtblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/muppets.jpg)
-
I didn't even get this attitude from dealing with these types in music, actually. I got this from dealing with film and television hipsters in college and in Los Angeles, the same attitude transposed to motherfuckers convinced they had the next BLAIR WITCH under their hats if only everyone would treat them like a genius.
Ugh. This is getting exhausting.
I'm just saying that the extremely not-off-hand off-handedness of the band name "Times New Viking" turns me off. It suggests an attitude of attachment evasion, of a desire to frame their work as mindblowingly pure to people who like it and purposely shitty noodling to people who don't so that they can always say that what they're doing is awesome in a given context.
The music could be fine for all I know and the band name was suggested by the bassist's embittered theory-obsessed brother or something but...
I stand by the idea that the band name is SO fuck*ng PRECIOUS that one can only assume that precious attitude is pervasive in their music and, hence, they probably suck.
-
christ almighty somebody needs a blowjob
-
sMets, have you considered going into music criticism?
-
I've considered all kinds of things that I wouldn't have the first idea how to actually get into.
It is...
It is sort of my THING.
-
Yes, Ash. There is projection involved to an extent.
I've been trying to write with an implicit sense of admission of that point. We all especially hate the bad things that remind us of our bad things.
But I come out and admit "I am terrified of being bad at things" instead of hiding behind an ever-shifting series of social poses of either indifference or claims that only insiders "get" it.
There is a point of identification in the motivation but my main disgust is with the conceit that the rough draft is the best draft so as to defend one from all possible critique from all sides.
I am messed up as hell but, holy shit, I do not run around proclaiming genius behind variable-irony-level shielding.
-
variable-irony-level shielding would make a good band name.
-
(http://www.bps-ok.org/kane/trek_teachers/Pic015.jpg)
Variable-irony-level shields to factor 9, Mr. Scott.
(http://www.badmovies.org/tvshows/startrek/scotty.jpg)
Captain! The engines! They canna take the strrrain!
-
wait...... why dont you like those bands or their names again? i didnt quite grasp the concept youre trying to communicate....
-
You can't put stage dressing on your salad, man. Think about that.
-
It is more like:
"CAPTAIN! The engines! If they end up working, that's totally because I'm so awesome I didn't even have to try! If they don't, I wasn't even trying because you don't get me at all and fuck you that's why! I'll totally aim my escape pod toward my old college roommate's apartment and crash on the couch until my next trust fund check comes through!"
-
"CAPTAIN! The engines! If they end up working, that's totally because I'm so awesome I didn't even have to try! If they don't, I wasn't even trying because you don't get me at all and fuck you that's why! I'll totally aim my escape pod toward my old college roommate's apartment and crash on the couch until my next trust fund check comes through!"
Oh, that was good. Now can you explain it to us as a Star Wars analogy?
-
It is more like:
"CAPTAIN! The engines! If they end up working, that's totally because I'm so awesome I didn't even have to try! If they don't, I wasn't even trying because you don't get me at all and fuck you that's why! I'll totally aim my escape pod toward my old college roommate's apartment and crash on the couch until my next trust fund check comes through!"
(http://www.thetikitub.com/picsonwww/Pancake_head.jpg)
Also:
(http://eyecandy.nanakaze.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/pancake-bear-fork-B.jpg)
AAAAHHHHHH!!!
-
Jesus, this "I hate artists who act as if they don't give a fuck but will take the credit if it comes out well" objection is broad enough to encompass all of the best rock & roll back to the Stones and Dylan. Really?
{Edited to clarify what I think is the objection}
-
The Stones were just dudes who stumbled on a formula that worked and stuck with it.
It was kind of a shame in some ways but it is hardly worth a jug of Haterade.
Dylan, though, yes. Dylan is hella what I am talking about.
The dance of "I want all the advantages of mainstream success but also want to pretend that I am actually still underground" fashion-as-music-as-fashion thing that... has, of course, always existed in popular music but accelerated in the Sixties when pop music started directly appropriating fringe movements instead of white-washing the hell out of a fringe trends and then handing them over to house writers for processing and giving those songs to good clean boys and so on.
The idea of fringe/underground/independent movements not as their own entities, even to the artists within them, but as a minor league system feeding directly to the mainstream and a means-to-an-end platform to launch you up to being a pop star that... again... had existed for a while but finally metastasized (meta-stasized?) with the grunge movement with Cobain as its metaphorical and perhaps literal Jesus.
-
Shellac. They just sound good. Shellac in particular is fun to say.
amen brudda.
variable-irony-level shielding would make a good band name.
hell yes.
-
You see Mike, you should be sending this shit to Pitchfork. It's totally being wasted on us.
-
No, no...that's a whole other set of problems you've stepped on, Paul!
Yeah, you're right. Mark me off 15 yards for taunting.
-
Have they come up yet with a drug for over-thinking?
-
Have they come up yet with a drug for over-thinking?
robutussin.
so, i'm listening to Arcade Fire's ready to go right now.
in my head.
because i can't get the fuck*ng thing out.
heard it a couple of times on the radio,
now i'm downloading it.
i want to hate the band, so, we'll so how it goes.
-
Wait... I'm ranting against the kind of preciously-meta hipster bullshit that Pitchfork tends to champion.
But I don't know Pitchfork super-well.
Do they use the kind of logic I'm using to eat their own when the artists they champion get a radio hit on their third album and then completely disown them?
Because, then, I agree that my powers could be used for that kind of evil but I'd rather just rip on the damn first album, not pretend that it is great because it is the new thing.
-
Ya know what, there actually shouldn't be any new music. Enough is enough, people, get a real job.
-
mike i know a nice little shack in the woods that comes with its own typewriter, just let me know when you're ready to write your manifesto and i can hook you up with my realtor buddy
-
My current situation is so close to a shack in the woods, man, I have to turn your kindness down.
-
Do they use the kind of logic I'm using to eat their own when the artists they champion get a radio hit on their third album and then completely disown them?
Well sometimes, probably, but more importantly they like long winded circuitous record reviews by reviewers with strong opinions. You are definitely the man for the job. They used to have a section where you could audition for employment by reviewing something that they haven't reviewed previously. It may have been just a ruse to get a lot of classic albums reviewed for free, but it's worth a shot anyway. I don't see the link to submit reviews on there anymore. They must have removed it once they became a big deal in the music industry.
-
I predict LFM will hate Pitchfork.
-
I predict LFM will hate Pitchfork.
Of course he will. He's much better suited for Kerrang! (http://www.kerrang.com/).
-
The thing about Pitchfork that makes me laugh lately is how they've been giving a bunch of classic reissues -- Exile on Main Street, all the top Beatles albums -- a perfect 10.0. Whereas you know that if these reviews were contemporaneous they'd have been sneering 6's and 5's ... like what I imagine LFM might write about Blonde on Blonde. (I'd like to read that.)
-
LFM, don't you like Tim and Eric a whole lot?
Because when you describe what you think is going on here, it sounds like you are describing my feelings about Tim and Eric.
What would you say to someone who said "this sucks, they are really bad at acting, they are really bad at editing, this show is really bad."
Isn't the answer to that, "no, you don't get it, they're doing this on purpose?"
And maybe you're going to say "no, it's supposed to be funny, they're being bad on purpose."
But, I mean, doesn't that mean that they just have a different aesthetic than mainstream television? They are purposely doing what they are not supposed to do, to get a certain effect?
Also, show me the band that doesn't fit the explanation "if you like us, it's because we're awesome, and if you don't, it's because you don't get it." People typically make music that they like to make and listen to.
I feel like your explanation, if it were true, would lead to these lo-fi lo-instrument-ability bands all getting nothing but positive reviews for every album, when reviewed by people who like this kind of music. And yet, I can listen to one Times New Viking song and like it, and another and not like it. What gives?
In response to something paul said a while ago, about the classic albums of the 60s being recorded on mediocre equipment and on-the-fly, do you think those albums would be better albums if they were recorded with better equipment and over a longer time frame?
-
LFM, don't you like Tim and Eric a whole lot?
Because when you describe what you think is going on here, it sounds like you are describing my feelings about Tim and Eric.
What would you say to someone who said "this sucks, they are really bad at acting, they are really bad at editing, this show is really bad."
YES! Oh god do Tim and Eric suck. Nothing even remotely entertaining let alone funny ever happened on Tom Goes to the Mayor. It was just awkward and horrible and lasted forever despite only being 11 minutes long.
-
oh, I actually like Tim and Eric, I just think a lot about how loving Tim and Eric makes me fit every negative connotation of the word "hipster."
-
True hipsters don't enjoy comedy, only politics and foreign drama and shit. And dirty old books.
-
That is a damn good point inev. I don't like all those stupid tv nerd shows. If I want to watch tv I want to have a semi-easy to understand story and some jokes. The story can be bizarre, but I want a story not just some assholes fuck*ng around. With music I am open to anything that sounds good to me, cause I am a music nerd. Music and TV nerds make up a great portion of the "hipster" crowd LFM is talking about I am guessing.
So LFM, I know you have made some TV show threads, do people just go in them and bash the shit out of what you like for stupid reasons? Do people with their heads up their ass come in their and spurt a bunch of bullshit and when you ask them to stop they continue? Yeah, fuck off. Go listen to Slash.
-
So LFM, I know you have made some TV show threads, do people just go in them and bash the shit out of what you like for stupid reasons? Do people with their heads up their ass come in their and spurt a bunch of bullshit and when you ask them to stop they continue?
If anyone wants to, they're more than welcome to, unless The Mods That Be are opposed.
It'd probably be interesting and if it wasn't, I probably just wouldn't respond after a point.
-
I probably just wouldn't respond after a point.
No, you would respond multiple times explaining why you are right and why hipsters blow.
-
The thing about Pitchfork that makes me laugh lately is how they've been giving a bunch of classic reissues -- Exile on Main Street, all the top Beatles albums -- a perfect 10.0. Whereas you know that if these reviews were contemporaneous they'd have been sneering 6's and 5's ... like what I imagine LFM might write about Blonde on Blonde. (I'd like to read that.)
It sounds like you chiding Pitchfork for getting it right.
-
Ya know what, there actually shouldn't be any new music. Enough is enough, people, get a real job.
haha, brilliant.
listened to the new Arcade Fire. it's pretty good.
-
listened to the new Arcade Fire. it's pretty good.
I'm going to be rocking out at the arcade (http://www.arcadecenter.com/default.asp). I hope it doesn't catch on fire.
-
It sounds like you chiding Pitchfork for getting it right.
I'm chiding them for acting un-Pitchfork when faced with monumentally agreed-upon albums by the pantheon artists of rock.
They're bullies, they is. They'll only take a stand on new bands about which there is no consensus and often no reputation whatsoever.
(Don't get me wrong, it's a useful website and the reviews always have at least a shade of a good point.)
-
listened to the new Arcade Fire. it's pretty good.
It's interesting--I like the new album end-to-end better than I liked "Neon Bible," but I don't think there are any individual tracks that are so much kick-ass like "Keep the Car Running" and a couple other songs off that record.
-
Speaking of Pitchfork, the author of Cat and Girl has in-depth comparisons (http://www.verysmallarray.com/?cat=8&paged=4) of the artists who appear on their lists, vs those who show up on the Billboard lists. I am not sure why she did that, other than that cereal acquisition may have been involved.
-
Someone on both of those lists are from Houston. I don't know who that might be.
-
I really like Wham!, and I don't think any other band from here on out should use punctuation in their name.
Also, Brule is the only character on Tim and Eric that doesn't suck. And there's something . . . I mean, the whole "self-aware" thing, it just makes me think of Family Guy, all telling the joke and then absolutely running it into the fuck*ng ground. I hate that shit. Take six minutes of jokes and then stretch 'em out four times as long by just going back to them over and over? Weak.
-
Someone on both of those lists are from Houston. I don't know who that might be.
It was 2008, so maybe UGK is on both the billboard and the pitchfork list? I think UGK was more 2007 so I could be wrong.
-
See, the thing is that the only thing I DON'T hate about "Family Guy" is their undercurrent of comedy of the awkward/stretched-out joke. They don't usually use the device well but sometimes it is a device that can hit on accident.
Family Guy sucks because of the 95% of the jokes that are either badly lifted from other sources or are just "Hey, do you remember that? REMEMBERING IS FUNNY!"
What I like about Tim and Eric most of all is just how truly angry it is.
It is such an angry show. Our culture is littered with people aiming at the lowest common denominator and trying to sell them useless crap and not even doing it WELL and... everything about the Tim and Eric schtick is about just ratcheting past parodying those things and straight on into the grotesque.
A sitcom might send up these things as silly, a Saturday Night Live might send these things up as stupid... Tim and Eric send these things up as hellish horrors that are deserved by people lazy enough to not see through them.
And I just LOVE it. Your mileage may vary, of course.
-
There's something about Tim and Eric that sort of feels like Mr. Show, but just a bubble off.
-
I thought I liked Tim and Eric when I had just seen a bunch of random clips online, and then I realized I LOVE it when I saw full episodes.
And yes, I do love the thing where a not-funny thing is stretched out for so long that it becomes funny.
For some reason my only "meeting a celebrity at work" fantasy is seeing David Liebe Hart/Tim/Eric and saying "Salame" when they pay for their stuff.
-
See, the thing is that the only thing I DON'T hate about "Family Guy" is their undercurrent of comedy of the awkward/stretched-out joke. They don't usually use the device well but sometimes it is a device that can hit on accident.
You nailed it. Not only that Family Guy sucks, but the only thing it does right is the stretched-out joke. And it's not that difficult to do that every once in a while.
-
I must have only seen the Family Guy episodes where dude fell asleep with his hand on the "draw the fuck*ng joke out" button.
-
It was 2008, so maybe UGK is on both the billboard and the pitchfork list? I think UGK was more 2007 so I could be wrong.
Oh yeah, Bun B. I've heard of him. Is he good? I saw his bus one time (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2441082953/).
-
UGK (he was 1/2) had an album called Underground Kings in 2007ish that is pretty good for Hardcore Rap. I don't really dig too much of that and I really liked this album. Bun B will often appear as a guest on pretty decent tracks/remixes. Never listened to any of his solo stuff.
-
See, the thing is that the only thing I DON'T hate about "Family Guy" is their undercurrent of comedy of the awkward/stretched-out joke. They don't usually use the device well but sometimes it is a device that can hit on accident.
Family Guy sucks because of the 95% of the jokes that are either badly lifted from other sources or are just "Hey, do you remember that? REMEMBERING IS FUNNY!"
What I like about Tim and Eric most of all is just how truly angry it is.
It is such an angry show. Our culture is littered with people aiming at the lowest common denominator and trying to sell them useless crap and not even doing it WELL and... everything about the Tim and Eric schtick is about just ratcheting past parodying those things and straight on into the grotesque.
A sitcom might send up these things as silly, a Saturday Night Live might send these things up as stupid... Tim and Eric send these things up as hellish horrors that are deserved by people lazy enough to not see through them.
And I just LOVE it. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Okay, let me try this nicer.
You could maybe see how someone would say "hey, they aren't even trying? Where are the jokes, why am I watching this?" But you have the right cultural milestones and a similar enough perspective to say, yeah, I dig this. I don't (i have never seen the show, I could like it I don't know) but I can't just say oh they are fuck*ng stupid look at their stupid name, trying to act cool, make the Bob Newheart Show again. Well I could, but that would be a dick move (you are making dick moves). So why do you want bands to make the same album over and over?
And one more thing: You ever try to name a band? Pretty much every fuck*ng name is taken. Even Kelvin and the Fahrenheits is a band for fucks sake. Anything you can come up with remotely clever or catchy that hasn't been taken you pretty much have to use. We wanted the be The Electric Blanket. There are already two bands with that name. We wanted to be the Grand Tetons, already taken, etc. etc.
-
People also run into the problem where you can't really change your name once you are known at all.
I'm trying to think of a band that has successfully done this. The Soft Pack (formerly The Muslims)? I guess it is different in the modern age, when every blog will just post "OMG Muslims sign to Warner Records, change their name to something stupid. here is their new mp3."
-
When a band signs to a label is the most common time to change the name. And of course a label isn't going to release an album by a band called the Muslims.
-
It's interesting--I like the new album end-to-end better than I liked "Neon Bible," but I don't think there are any individual tracks that are so much kick-ass like "Keep the Car Running" and a couple other songs off that record.
i have not heard any of their prior albums.
-
People also run into the problem where you can't really change your name once you are known at all.
I'm trying to think of a band that has successfully done this. The Soft Pack (formerly The Muslims)? I guess it is different in the modern age, when every blog will just post "OMG Muslims sign to Warner Records, change their name to something stupid. here is their new mp3."
I am still pissed at Cactus Patch for changing their name to Army of Me. Seriously, what the fuck is that?
-
Wow, that's going from good to stupid right there.
Seriously. I would get it if they were like "we just found out Cactus Patch was already taken, sorry everybody." But no. They just decided that rather than have a good name they'd rather be named after a line in a Bjork song. This was like 8 years ago. I should not still care this much.
-
jefferson starship!
-
jefferson starship!
Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship were two separate bands. Albeit with some of the same members.
-
....As I learned from delving into it after posting that.
All I know is I had a lot of confusion as a kid in the '80's trying to square "We Built This City" with the stuff my parents would listen to in the back room on Saturdays.
-
All I know is I had a lot of confusion as a kid in the '80's trying to square "We Built This City" with the stuff my parents would listen to in the back room on Saturdays.
Oh no, that was Starship.
-
I fuck*ng love Today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uokp0aEiT-A) by Jefferson Airplane.
-
oh man, I have Surrealistic Pillow on vinyl, and it is one of my prize records. I don't even know if it's worth anything, or however people evaluate records, but I have such a distinct memory of how excited I was to find it.
Also, my girlfriend and roommate made fun of me on-air during my radio show for owning/playing that record, and I completely freaked out and kicked them out of the studio. oops. and then I accidentally played the wrong song, and they continued making fun of me.
-
I fuck*ng love Today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uokp0aEiT-A) by Jefferson Airplane.
Yeah, me too. It's a beautiful song.
-
My wife loves Surrealistic Pillow, but I can't abide it at all. I'm not sure why.
-
Yeah, I have that on vinyl- kinda an accident. Never really dug it myself.
-
I'll tell you what, though - as far as AC/DC goes, Live Wire (which I am currently listening to) is a pretty good song.
-
To be honest, I don't think I've ever listened to Surrealistic Pillow. I just love that one song.
-
To be honest, I don't think I've ever listened to Surrealistic Pillow. I just love that one song.
Me either. My source of information is their two Greatest hits albums Worst of Jefferson Airplane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Worst_of_Jefferson_Airplane) album and 2400 Fulton Street (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2400_Fulton_Street_%28album%29) which both contain that song. I do however, have Volunteers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volunteers_%28Jefferson_Airplane_album%29).
All this has got me to thinking I need to listen to some Jefferson Airplane. I think I may have at least one of those albums on cassette. Can anyone help me find it (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3980142152/)?
-
Fastway! Nice!
-
I heard this (http://www.garagehangover.com/mp3s/LawsonIfYouWantMe.mp3) on Pandora today. I'd never heard it before and it's pretty dope. Lawson and 4 More (http://www.garagehangover.com/?q=LawsonAndFourMore). There are three mp3s to download on that page. Also this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Cq1C-Om4A).
-
Good find. Anything involving Jim Dickinson is gonna be good.
-
lately, having to listen to an endless most-repeating playlist of pop music at work, I think a lot about how what other people seem to listen for in music is not what I listen for.
and I don't mean this in some sort of weird, snobby, "other people don't know what is good" way. I actually kind of think that my sense of melody/form/tonality/something has been so warped from what it used to be that I can no longer judge what will sound "too weird" or "corny" or whatever to most/other people. In one direction, I remember a point when I thought The Byrds or Simon and Garfunkel or any country music sounded unbelievably corny, and syrupy-sweet. Now I love that. On the other hand, I find Conduit for Sale (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anyvPX0NjFk) really really catchy-- it gets stuck in my head all the time-- even though I can remember how much it turned me off when I first heard it. I recall trying SO hard to understand what other people got out of it, and thinking it was unbelievably annoying.
The reason I bring this up is that I'm constantly amazed by the music they play at work. Specifically, on certain days, they play mix CDs that coworkers/managers/etc have made, and it blows my mind what some of these people think is good music to play in a grocery store. I can never judge which CDs will be popular with my co-workers and which will be hated. One girl made a CD of all horrible modern dance music (Lady Ga-Ga and various ripoffs) which everyone loved. That CD actually alternated modern dance music with POUNDING beats with shit like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z87ltstOZp4). My manager said "I LOVE this CD. You GO girl!" Another employee made a CD of 80s hits that everyone despised, including people who are older/younger than me. People complain about the old-school funk CD one guy made. A guy who is actually a DJ and crafted a really, really good mix that had me bopping around with a smile on my face for the entire 1:30 or however long it was, which people hated and complain about whenever he tries to put it on.
I don't know, I am having trouble coming up with good examples. I just hear certain pop songs that I think are really WEIRD, and see everyone loving them, and hear others that I think are catchy and good and everyone complains about them. Similar things occur when live musicians perform in the store-- the performer who I think the most co-workers complained about was the only one I've liked. What is so grating about a duo of women with pretty voices, guitar, and piano, covering Beatles and Neil Young songs!? At least one person said "THIS IS BARELY EVEN MUSIC."
This also occurs with my little sister-- I try to send stuff her way that I think she'll appreciate, and I can never guess what will be "too weird" and what will be "awesome."
I am going to make a mix for work, and I can't decide how prepared I should be for derision and rude comments. I'll avoid stuff like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWZxThGh5wQ) no matter how much it makes me think of Gaga in some weird way. I am trying to resist my urge to put in JUST ONE really abrasive, punky song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tVDcwwZFXc) (man, I want to put that song on there so bad. This song got me through my first couple weeks working here.)
So yeah, I am trying to find stuff that I like that won't weird people out, and at this point I don't know if I know what that even is.
It will definitely include My Secret Weapon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwXxHj77QGQ).
(also: today I heard Hot Tuna on the radio. I had never heard them before. This song they played was awesome, and the guy never said what the name of the track was. Damn it.)
-
(also: today I heard Hot Tuna on the radio. I had never heard them before. This song they played was awesome, and the guy never said what the name of the track was. Damn it.)
Another Jefferson Airplane offshoot.
-
We've been over I don't really like Jefferson airplane, but I remember quah being alright when my mom played it in her car before I could drive. Maybe I was just happy it wasn't the I am Sam soundtrack though.
-
I just kept thinking "man, I sure do love these Creedence best-of tracks that I have, I should check out their albums" and then not doing it.
Why am I so silly.
-
Willy and the Poor Boys and Cosmos factory are so good. "Who we burning/Who we burning/EFFFFAAGGGEEEEE"
-
listening to all these songs that have that distinctive Creedence sound, I am reminded of another part of the thing I went on about above: there are lots of bands that people say sound alike that I don't think sound alike at all.
For instance, people talk about how lots of bands sound like the Pixies. I don't think I can name a single band that I think actually sound like them. They have such a distinctive sound, which has a lot of elements. One of my first interactions with my kind-of-a-dick old roommate was when he said "wait, but have you heard the Pixies?" when I said I liked Nirvana a lot. Fuck that noise.
It is weird, though, to think about what a big influence the Pixies were on Nirvana, considering they were contemporaries (although obviously Kurt heard them before Nirvana were big at all). I guess I can think of things like that going on now, though. (all of the bands that just sound like that one Animal Collective album?)
I think I am forgetting some really obvious example that is really recent.
-
Doug Martsch claimed Pavement as an influence on Built to Spill, though that's also not a recent example.
-
Creedence is indeed very very good, but I've heard them so much in my lifetime that I am totally burned out on it. I'm not sure I'll ever be ever to really enjoy them again. I keep thinking that if I can just put them aside for a few years I can hear them again with new ears, but it's pretty impossible since they are everywhere. I hear them in movies, on the radio, even in the grocery store or at the gas station when I am filling my tank. There is no escaping Creedence Clearwater Revival!
However, I can reminisce about listening to Cosmo's Factory on my parents reel to reel player when I was a little kid. I still remember how much I loved it back then.
-
Was this the Times New Viking thread? While that band name seems harmless, I think Times New Italian is superior.
-
I heard a new track from Bobby McFerrin on the radio today and I was mesmerized. Gonna check that out asap, but lately I've been listening to Iron Maiden. And Black Moth Super Rainbow.
-
Paul Di'Anno? Or Bruce Dickinson?
-
Paul Di'Anno? Or Bruce Dickinson?
Both.
-
Women (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWNKffHRU3g) broke up (http://exclaim.ca/News/women_implode_onstage_in_bc_allegedly_break_up) and I am sad. I really like them. They are the band who I cited as saying "make it sound shittier. Make it sound like it was recorded on a boom box."
-
I have never heard/heard of Women, but, not to get all l...f...m... on you, but you know what is infinitely cooler than "making something sound like it was recorded on a boombox"? Recording something on a fuck*ng boombox.
Also, one time I saw Men, pretty awful band, but they played during the weekend firefighters collect money at like stop lights and stuff (everywhere has these right?). Well they came into the show to collect money. Have you ever seen 4 firefighters watch a transgendered band? I thought it was more interesting than the band.
-
I have never heard/heard of Women, but, not to get all l...f...m... on you, but you know what is infinitely cooler than "making something sound like it was recorded on a boombox"? Recording something on a fuck*ng boombox.
And not to get all anti-Sex Pistols or something, but we pretty much always record on a boombox and it kinda sucks. I gotta figure out something better.
-
And not to get all anti-Sex Pistols or something, but we pretty much always record on a boombox and it kinda sucks. I gotta figure out something better.
Dude, only faggots and old farts want music to actually sound good.
-
Dude, only faggots and old farts want music to actually sound good.
Guilty as charged. I guess you can decide for yourself which epithet to hang on me.
-
well, the way they ended up making it sound like it was recorded on a boombox was putting it on tape and dubbing it a bunch of times.
Big talk from a dude who bought a reverb pedal instead of recording/playing in a giant cavern at all times.
Dude, only faggots and old farts want music to actually sound good.
This is 100% true.
-
Only hipsters and rubes want music to sound like shit.
Did I do that right? Also, I went looking for a synonym of rube and it gave me chawbacon. I've never seen that word and I instantly love it.
-
Guilty as charged. I guess you can decide for yourself which epithet to hang on me.
Well, I'm an old fart...
-
i am neither hip, nor old.
-
Saw Deerhunter Friday and Saturday and it was fuck*ng amazing. Especially Friday night. The new songs sound great.
-
I'm seeing Built to Spill next time I'm home (again - maybe I'll get another stick) and Killing Joke in December.
-
If only Built to Spill were playing Seattle a week after their scheduled date, I'd get to see them for the third time in three different cities this year (when I lived in Seattle and they were more popular and toured all the time, I'd often seen them several times in a year, but I feel I'm lucky enough to get to see them once a year now). I'll be in Seattle for Thanksgiving, and instead I'll be seeing Grinderman, which is pretty fuck*ng cool. I've seen Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds before and it fuck*ng ruled, and I like both Grinderman albums.
-
Built to Spill played here last week and I was offered free tickets, but I was too wiped out and stayed home. :(
-
didn't one of you guys tell me to listen to Ultimate Alternative Wavers?
That album is good. I had been told that it sucked, and I am a sucker for... believing people?
-
I don't know if I did, but it is possibly my favorite album ever, so I'm glad you like it.
-
didn't one of you guys tell me to listen to Ultimate Alternative Wavers?
That album is good. I had been told that it sucked, and I am a sucker for... believing people?
Yeah, someone did. I just read that thread, but who am I, CJ?
-
Well, I'm an old fart...
Whatever, Chawbacon.
-
it was definitely you, Miles, as I remember that person saying it was their favorite album. I kind of thought it was you, I just wanted confirmation.
Anyway, canned, canned, a thousand times canned.
-
Hey man, just happy to spread the love.
-
get a room
-
Has anyone listened to Elliot Smith "New Moon"? I have all the other stuff (as a good Portlandroid) but I don't have this. And really, do I need more terribly depressing music?
-
It's a little inconsistent but the good is really really good, 'Bu.
And all the best music is terribly depressing, that's the whole point of music!
-
Sure. Was it here I talked about the concept of an Eels-Elliot Smith collaboration?
-
Women (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWNKffHRU3g) broke up (http://exclaim.ca/News/women_implode_onstage_in_bc_allegedly_break_up) and I am sad. I really like them. They are the band who I cited as saying "make it sound shittier. Make it sound like it was recorded on a boom box."
Maybe they didn't break up (http://pitchfork.com/news/40559-women-implode-onstage-cancel-tour/)? Also, that seems like some Nathan Williams bullshit.
-
Spacehog Resident Alien. It's really one of my favorite albums ever.
-
Oh man that song.
So good.
-
Spacehog Resident Alien. It's really one of my favorite albums ever.
It's sad that most people consider them a one-hit wonder. Of course I have no idea if they have any other albums.
-
It's sad that most people consider them a one-hit wonder. Of course I have no idea if they have any other albums.
That tends to happen when you only have one hit.
-
That tends to happen when you only have one hit.
OK, what I meant was, most people think of them as "they only had one song on the radio, so it's not worth my time to investigate them further and I'll never hear the rest of their album."
-
OK, what I meant was, most people think of them as "they only had one song on the radio, so it's not worth my time to investigate them further and I'll never hear the rest of their album."
Indeed, it drives me nuts to hear a band that I know was really solid described as a one-hit wonder. Ever hear Big Country's entire first record? Or any of their other albums? They freakin' rocked. Yet they will always appear on VH1's One-Hit Wonder shows.
-
It's sad that most people consider them a one-hit wonder. Of course I have no idea if they have any other albums.
But . . . but . . .
-
That tends to happen when you only have one hit.
i want to live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQizC-IfgXk) or in the meantime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9AWGc0d8ik)?
-
Indeed, it drives me nuts to hear a band that I know was really solid described as a one-hit wonder. Ever hear Big Country's entire first record? Or any of their other albums? They freakin' rocked. Yet they will always appear on VH1's One-Hit Wonder shows.
I just recently discovered that The Cardigans have other songs that aren't awful.
In the Meantime was the only Spacehog song I ever heard on the radio. Of course I also thought until recently that Train was a one-hit wonder because my radio station played Drops of Jupiter for about 2 weeks 9 years ago then never mentioned them again. Apparently on other stations they had many, many other songs.
-
i want to live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQizC-IfgXk)
I'd never heard that song before, was it a hit?
I checked their wiki just yesterday. They actually have three albums, but only the one sold well I think. I liked that song from their third album so maybe i should check them out as well. Especially since I love their first album so well.
The wiki also says they reunited in 2008 and started working on an album in 2009, but it hasn't been released. There is also mention of another band with 3 of of the four Spacehog members called Arckid, but they haven't released any music either.
-
i want to live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQizC-IfgXk) or in the meantime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9AWGc0d8ik)?
I Wanna Live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BCTgMbLn_Q).
-
Well, one-hit wonder is sort of a specific definition. People probably shouldn't be slagged with the designation - after all, Jimi Hendrix was a one-hit wonder, and Black Sabbath only had one single (Paranoid) crack the top twenty.
-
OK, I proclaim today The Mayor's day all day long and into the night for being so right.
Them dude's were solid.
look out here come's an 's
-
It's a big country (http://www.snpp.com/episodes/2F14.html).
-
I am listening to Ren and Stimpy production music.
-
This is apropos of nothing, but I miss two things about music. They sound like they're opposites but they're not.
1. I miss people who are actually good at what they're doing and try to sound good. Alternately, I miss people who are having fun doing what they're doing and try to sound like they're having fun. You don't have to use ALL the menu options in ProTools just because they're there, producers. It's okay to practice stuff and get better at playing it, musicians.
2. I miss hearing mistakes in musical recordings. A recording made of 140 perfect 4-bar cuts just doesn't have the soul of a performance. If I Fell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO-ClfuboNU) is a good performance even if Paul misses a note (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlwz4ruYqwA). That's kind of a crappy example, but basically if nothing unexpected happens when you're playing the music isn't really free in my opinion.
I have no idea why I posted this today! But I did.
-
I saw Spindrift today. They played their new/not yet recorded album (from what I understand the album at this point, pretty much in order.) It seems like that is going to be a really good album. The main guy is like my favorite guitarist ever, but he uses a lot of shitty effects live.
Also, standing two feet away from a really loud stage with only highs and lows equals pain. Sweet sweet pain.
-
I been seein all these local acts so there is no point to mention the names, but on Friday I was dancing like a prick until I twisted my ankle hell of bad.
Thursday gonna see Dance Fight. Instrumental power trio and the lead man plays keys and keytar simultaneous.
-
I don't normally go on about bubblegum pop, but hearing some goof on NPR gush over Taylor Swift's new album made me drop my jaw. The reviewer played clips of the music seeking to prove his point, but all I heard was mildly clever teen-angst sung in a reedy voice, punctuated with crystal clear autotune corrections. Was the autotuning a deliberate stylistic thing? It didn't have the over-the-top feel of Cher's playing around in Believe, but it sure as hell didn't sound natural to me.
-
I don't normally go on about bubblegum pop, but hearing some goof on NPR gush over Taylor Swift's new album made me drop my jaw. The reviewer played clips of the music seeking to prove his point, but all I heard was mildly clever teen-angst sung in a reedy voice, punctuated with crystal clear autotune corrections. Was the autotuning a deliberate stylistic thing? It didn't have the over-the-top feel of Cher's playing around in Believe, but it sure as hell didn't sound natural to me.
supposedly writes her own songs, but they all sound like teen-pop BS. it appears as though she is being marketed as a less threatening avril lavigne.
-
If it's on the radio nowadays, it's going to be autotuned.
-
I'm reading The Rest is Noise (http://www.amazon.com/Rest-Noise-Listening-Twentieth-Century/dp/0374249393) and trying to listen to the people he writes about. I am really bad at listening to any music over 4 minutes long, though, so it is a challenge.
-
Any big Swans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swans_(band)) fans up in this piece? They're playing Portland in February. I like the (citation needed) bit in Wiki: "One of the trademarks of Swans' early period was playing at painfully loud volumes during concerts, to the point where some audience members would vomit".
-
i used to listen to swands/gira/etc music, but then i stopped wanting to feel like it was a good idea to murder myself.
seriously, i have to keep my swans/etc, cd's away from my other cd's, as the other cd's near them inevitably end up on the floor, broken.
-
Can't argue that.
You are on the Crazy Train. Ozzy is here. He is urinating on a scale model of the Alamo.
-
I am listening to The Jam.
-
I am listening to The Jam.
I think I am too.
-
Is the jam pumped-up or do you prefer it in its natural flaccid state?
-
I just don't have that much jam. (http://www.allmusic.com/album/some-girls-r16801)
-
You are on the Crazy Train. Ozzy is here. He is urinating on a scale model of the Alamo.[/size]
Ozzy's been gene sequenced (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=ozzy-osbourne-genome). He has some interesting variants in genes related to nerve communication and alcohol metabolism, as well as a trace of Neanderthal lineage (no joke!).
-
You got your science in my cheap throwaway joke.
-
I can't stop listening to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y75rYcZO_ZE
Oh man that beat boxing
-
Can. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVQuelXdnkI)
also, this song is so similar to Take Meta Mars by the Flaming Lips, from like 10 years later.
-
I will never be cool again. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpxWo28sT6U)
holy shit this guitar solo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcawnRIyeok)
-
Can. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVQuelXdnkI)
also, this song is so similar to Take Meta Mars by the Flaming Lips, from like 10 years later.
Yeah, it's like the exact same song. Both are top notch.
-
this is my jam right now (i think i posted it before, but i dont care.).
algun dia(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFfge59pMUw)-julieta venegas
-
I will never be cool again. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpxWo28sT6U)
holy shit this guitar solo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcawnRIyeok)
Those are both great songs and I really liked them (the Chain especially) before I heard them 1 million times apiece on the radio.
-
Does John McVie really have a penguin tattooed on his forearm? I like to think he does.
I guess this kills the myth that Dan only likes music that does not sound like music.
I just got the digital remaster of Vagabonds of the Western World (http://www.allmusic.com/album/vagabonds-of-the-western-world-r19999/review). I think this is the first Thin Lizzy (http://www.allmusic.com/artist/thin-lizzy-p5633/biography) album with a Jim Fitzpatrick (http://www.jimfitzpatrick.ie/) cover. (Don't hate on him because he created that iconic Che image.)
-
My parents love Fleetwood Mac, and I have always hated them. It has always been a Thing that I hate them.
now that I have giraffeed around on youtube (and heard certain songs of theirs 10000000000 times at work), I have realized they are a band with good songs and bad songs. It's just that some of the bad songs are the ones that people like. (I can't imagine a world in which I grow to love Landslide. Even as a kid the imagery really bothered me. What? there is a landslide? what is going on?)
-
I'm going to try out this "Spoon" that everyone has been talking about (I think I've only heard one song by them). I bought Johnny Thunders "So Alone" (Philo on bass) and I got a $1 credit, and "Transference" is available for $1.99, so I figured what the heck.
-
Spoon is good stuff.
-
So is Johnny Thunders.
-
the log song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP0kWqJJZa4)
feathers(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF4wlAeis3s)-coheed and cambria
-
Reading The Rest is Noise, I am listening to John Adams, Charles Ives, John Cage, Steve Reich, Stockhausen, Schoenberg...
Not always my favorite stuff to listen to, but it makes me notice new things.
The book is awesome.
-
feathers(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF4wlAeis3s)-coheed and cambria
Night Ranger Lives.
Oh wait, there's more. On that second song, I can't quite place who they aping, Rainbow, Dio?
Hey, I remember the 80s.
-
were all aping someone.
-
Night Ranger Lives.
Oh wait, there's more. On that second song, I can't quite place who they aping, Rainbow, Dio?
Hey, I remember the 80s.
I wish Iommi and Blackmore had started a supergroup, but I hear Ritchie is pretty much an insufferable asshole. They worked with a lot of the same people, though - seems like they would maybe hit it off.
-
Night Ranger Lives.
Heh. Can.
-
I'm currently listening to my cube-mate's Eminem. It's worlds better than listening to the guy down the hall whistling. Jesus don't fuck*ng whistle. Nobody wants to hear it.
-
I'm currently listening to my cube-mate's Eminem. It's worlds better than listening to the guy down the hall whistling. Jesus don't fuck*ng whistle. Nobody wants to hear it.
Whistling is awesome...
But yeah, nobody wants to hear that shit.
-
Well, yeah. I can whistle like a motherfucker, but I never do unless I'm alone. Because NOBODY WANTS TO HEAR IT.
-
I too am an accomplished whistler.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dDONMV6aKM
-
Cool Song, Keith.
-
They are from Texas too.
And Paul, I don't know if you are into this type of stuff, but they are basically ripping off Spacemen 3, who mixed the 13th Floor Elevators (Texas!) and the Stooges and the Blues and thousands of other places (but hell of the 13th Floor Elevators) with drone (and heroin), and the 13th Floor Elevators. The Black Angels add back in the original 13th Floor Elevators electric jug very occasionally (I can't get enough of that jug.)
Here is a really good Spacemen 3 cover of a song by The Spades, The 13th Floor Elevators singers first band, mixed with a song by the 13th Floor Elevators that was a better version of this song with worse lyrics. Got it?
Spacemen 3- We Sell Soul- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gcl0YtlFfA (if I ever get a tattoo it will be the picture in this video with an exclamation mark instead of a 3 on my left inner forearm. This is also a rip off of the 13th Floor Elevators logo)
Here is the Spades We Sell Soul- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Sot64X0uQ and the 13th Floor Elevators Don't Fall Down- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mqdtqkrp9w&feature=related (there is kinda the 13th Floor Elevators version of the logo, not always at the slant.)
Here are my favorite 13th Floor Elevator songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot6vHf3cEDk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdpc50r5Ot4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfkwI7Md4Ik
Here is a really good song by Spacemen 3, I think they got the lyrics from the introduction on some Stooges live album. They have a lot more really good songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxgrxD674IY&feature=related
Here is the Spades version of a song we have all heard a billion times:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFT8foNZFJM&feature=watch_response
Here is another good Black Angels song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ZTAA8Nxdo&feature=related
I have been listening to psychedelic drone thread, thanks for asking.
So I stayed up all night listening to Spacemen 3 and reading about them on the internet. Some of my facts are wrong go here: http://www.spacemen3.co.uk/pages/faq/spacemenfaq.htm for everything if want to learn more. Good night.
-
I am liking this.
How can I have 20 bands on my iPod with the word Black in them, but not this?
-
It's interesting to me how different the original of We Sell Soul is from the cover version, just (I think) due to the . . . scatting, almost? I don't know if it is Roky doing that sort of Van Morrison voice-over thing, but it transforms the song. The cover version just has this menace? I don't know. I love it, though, because it bugs me when people do a cover and it's basically the same song. This is really making it their own, maybe by subtraction?
-
My first impression was that they reminded me of Black Mountain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZpSQNs0k40) and I didn't even make the connection that they both had Black in their name.
-
dark, pretty stuff
Disemballerina - Saturn's Return (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JkqL6_kyxk)
Neun Welten - Frosthauch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF3zOma87uY)
-
Cave (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVticQ3lx5Y). Their Pure Moods EP (http://www.dragcity.com/products/pure-moods) is one of the best things I've heard all year.
Another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blr9QiU5HVc
I love that venue!
-
I saw them at Pitchfork. They are good. I like Cave. I have not heard their album, will def. check it out.
-
Man the Wrens are so good. I can't believe I never listened to their last album in the seven years it's been out until, like, this weekend.
This one kinda reminds me of the New Pornographers for some reason:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H1MFbz03gE
Also good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FditI_wlg6o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3rTVfGr56s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7bXWsrs_B4
-
I heard Mahler's Resurrection symphony performed live from the second row on Friday.
God.
Damn.
It made me realize that some things just can't be recorded.
-
You know what's weird? Poking around on last.fm and discovering you are a "top listener" for a band that you didn't think you were THAT into. In this case, I think it's that the band just doesn't have that many followers, so playing the album twice is enough to put me at the top.
The band in question: http://blog.kexp.org/blog/2010/03/05/song-of-the-day-silohs-%E2%80%93-western-haunts/
-
Lately I've been listening to a bunch of unreleased Thin Lizzy songs.
-
You ever heard Anthrax's cover of Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song", 'Bu?
So. Good.
-
You ever heard Anthrax's cover of Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song", 'Bu?
So. Good.
Unless I miss my guess (and that happens all the time, so maybe) you turned me on to that last year or something. Pretty sweet cover - I just wish that it hadn't been quite so faithful. I do like it better than Metallica's "Whiskey in the Jar". That cover was actually released on a cover album that pretty much totally sucks. This just in: The band Six Feet Under is terrible.
-
Fun wiki page of the day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_growl). I'm surprised so much can be written about Cookie Monster vocals.
-
The band Six Feet Under is terrible.
"me want cookies!"
-
Lately I've been listening to a bunch of unreleased Thin Lizzy songs.
I'm not intoThin Lizzy as much as my musical tastes tell me I should be. Maybe I should give them a new listen.
-
Well, I'm a shameless proselytizer for them, so I'm probably not the most unbiased source. I think they're easily the most underrated hard rock band of their era.
-
I rediscovered an old Rory Gallagher cassette. I had kinda forgotten how bad ass that dude was.
A Million Miles Away (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxiEMpcI83E)
-
introducing... the damned things (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zywgVO0g0Ps)
weve got a situation here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMANR-wrg7o)
im not sure what to think...........
-
introducing... the damned things (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zywgVO0g0Ps)
weve got a situation here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMANR-wrg7o)
im not sure what to think...........
Nothing against Scott, but he should know better than to start a band name with "The Damned (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdP1Cvyfzj8) . . . "
-
yesterday I listened to Safe as Milk while driving around STL. I thought it was pretty good.
my stoned girlfriend thought it was "better than any music. The best music."
-
yesterday I listened to Safe as Milk while driving around STL. I thought it was pretty good.
my stoned girlfriend thought it was "better than any music. The best music."
You have a smart girlfriend.
-
You have a smart girlfriend.
And stoned.
-
Attention, Indie Music Lovers: check out thesixtyone.com (http://www.thesixtyone.com/#/). It is relatively awesome, at least in theory.
I found out about this site through a job that I got through another job that Wombat recommended me for, so you can thank/blame her.
-
i'm enjoying half of interpol's album, interpol. one listen it's one half, and another listen it's the other half, so, good album i guess.
i'm also enjoying interpol dude's "solo" album Julian Plenti is skyscraper, especially the song "Only if You Run".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt40__1OlqU
-
I listened to Interpol and Antics a lot, back when. I haven't gone back in a while.
-
Hey Paul! Free shit (http://beatsofrage.bandcamp.com/album/beats-of-rage), courtesy of a friend of mine. I haven't listened to it yet, but I did grab it.
-
Hey Paul! Free shit (http://beatsofrage.bandcamp.com/album/beats-of-rage), courtesy of a friend of mine. I haven't listened to it yet, but I did grab it.
I like the name.
-
I'm always watching this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFM140rju4k).
Re-post? Probably.
-
This dude I tend to have a love hate relationship with, but damn if this song isn't catchy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7xh9KYilzg)
-
that guy has a better version of my haircut, and also my guitar.
also my name. Weird that that is the third thing I noticed.
an Aussie I know had a dance band called Dan _____'s Party Dream.
he started his set by saying "last night I had a party dream... and you were all in it."
he was also really handsome and played up his accent in order to bed women.
-
that guy has a better version of my haircut, and also my guitar.
also my name. Weird that that is the third thing I noticed.
an Aussie I know had a dance band called Dan _____'s Party Dream.
he started his set by saying "last night I had a party dream... and you were all in it."
he was also really handsome and played up his accent in order to bed women.
Plays music, really handsome, Australian accent . . . I would have thought he was more concerned with trying to get things accomplished other than bedding women.
-
Also, I am listening to Muddy motherfuck*ng Waters, because he is awesome.
-
Also, also, Gerry Rafferty is dead (http://new.music.yahoo.com/gerry-rafferty/news/quot-baker-street-quot-singer-gerry-rafferty-dies-age-63--62008529;_ylt=Ai92Pfy.ZjyPJuTfflbR6QSxxCUv), but the headlines are as follows:
Psychiatric tests ordered for rapper Gucci Mane
Rapper Waka Flocka waives hearing, remains jailed
Eh, low-hanging fruit. Sue me.
-
Also, also, Gerry Rafferty is dead (http://new.music.yahoo.com/gerry-rafferty/news/quot-baker-street-quot-singer-gerry-rafferty-dies-age-63--62008529;_ylt=Ai92Pfy.ZjyPJuTfflbR6QSxxCUv)
Is sad. They don't write AM pop music like that anymore.
-
This dude I tend to have a love hate relationship with, but damn if this song isn't catchy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7xh9KYilzg)
Taking Bindi Irwin's name in vain? Doesn't that get you beaten up in Australia?
-
And keep in mind that Gerry Rafferty wrote "Stuck in the Middle with You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=komvFIGYBYM)"
-
Officemate playing the fuck out of some Coldplay, Jack Johnson, etc. A little goes a long way with that.
-
As supremely douchey as Coldplay is as celebrities and as an image, I can enjoy their music in small doses.
Only in small doses and only when I am able to forget what sanctimonious poseurs they seem to be but still.
-
Taking Bindi Irwin's name in vain? Doesn't that get you beaten up in Australia?
Nah. To be honest it was kind of creepy how quickly they started pimping her after her dad died.
-
somebody's gotta keep the irwin family in pet food
-
"That's not an exploited child-star's ruined life, THIS is an exploited child-star's ruined life!"
-
don't think twice, it's alright.
-
Two things:
1. Cover art and such for my 2007 mix CD is finally completed and on the FTP server, for those who are into such things (i.e. Paul). Started work on 2008 last night, so I'll finally be caught up on these things.
2. I got a 1 TB external hard drive, so I have started copying all my CDs (I don't know, 350 of them?) to MP3. My "random 15" posts will get a LOT more interesting once that's all done. Now I just need to get my MP3-compatible car stereo reinstalled so I can be fully digital an' shit. I decided I'm tired of burning all my eMusic downloads to disc, it's ridiculous.
I had a little Tricky festival last night. That dude is bad-ass.
-
I picked up Neon Bible when it made everyone's best-of-the-year lists a while back, and it was one of those albums where I was skeptical at first, but it eventually grew on me. Especially "Keep the Car Running," (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZockGkEyY) which freakin' rocks.
The new album The Suburbs was likewise lauded on many year-end lists. I like it better on the whole than Neon Bible, but there aren't as many really GREAT songs on it. But Win Butler is a very forthright, honest lyricist, and the music is good. Try:
"City With No Children" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmXVH0gQuLw)
"Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH_7_XRfTMs)
-
A friend of my wife's swore by AF, but I never really had them work for me. I should try again.
-
I have never been able to get into them at all. My friend's sister is married to one of the guys in the band. Even when I had a big crush on her, I could not even pretend to like them.
I am definitely willing to believe that they are good and just not my taste, though.
-
I can really get into Arcade Fire on a song by song basis but I find that a whole album through is too much.
-
Two things:
1. Cover art and such for my 2007 mix CD is finally completed and on the FTP server, for those who are into such things (i.e. Paul). Started work on 2008 last night, so I'll finally be caught up on these things.
2. I got a 1 TB external hard drive, so I have started copying all my CDs (I don't know, 350 of them?) to MP3. My "random 15" posts will get a LOT more interesting once that's all done. Now I just need to get my MP3-compatible car stereo reinstalled so I can be fully digital an' shit. I decided I'm tired of burning all my eMusic downloads to disc, it's ridiculous.
I had a little Tricky festival last night. That dude is bad-ass.
Depending on your OS you might consider using Audiograbber for this. It has an option where you can have one instance open per CD drive, and just swap discs from the trays while it rips the .wav files. Then it will actually convert them to mp3 overnight. Ripping is pretty rapid, it's the converting that eats up time. Especially with 350 discs.
I've decided to listen to my whole library this year. I'm averaging 100 songs a weekday so I figure I should be done around April. It would be longer but I'm pretty brutal about saying "I'll never listen to this song" and deleting it from iTunes. I mean, I have the CD if I ever change my mind.
-
Question: Arcade Fire?
Yeah, that Arcade Fire song on Carlos' mix really caught my attention too.
"Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH_7_XRfTMs)
This song appears on that Fluxblog 8 disc best of '10 mix. It definitely deserves to be there.
I think I really like Arcade Fire.
-
I've decided to listen to my whole library this year. I'm averaging 100 songs a weekday so I figure I should be done around April. It would be longer but I'm pretty brutal about saying "I'll never listen to this song" and deleting it from iTunes. I mean, I have the CD if I ever change my mind.
I did this a few years ago, listened to every CD I owned. I don't listen to music as much during the day--the commute is my primary music time. So it took a lot longer. But it was a fun exercise. And yeah, I did take a fair number of CDs and say "You know what? You're going on the sale pile."
-
I constantly say I am going to do such a thing, and it will never happen.
For some reason I feel massive amounts of guilt about all the music I have downloaded and never listened to. It is left over from being music director, mostly, but I felt this way before that too.
-
Arcade Fire's best song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az_2oiccZNo
Well, at least from the recent album, by which I was mostly underwhelmed. But I like the last two well enough.
This is probably my favorite Arcade Fire song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO7ZWfvCjBE
I have a memory of that song performed live with the Columbia River Gorge as the background, sun setting over the river, after eating shrooms for the first time just a bit before. Pretty fuck*ng spectacular.
-
I did this a few years ago, listened to every CD I owned. I don't listen to music as much during the day--the commute is my primary music time. So it took a lot longer. But it was a fun exercise. And yeah, I did take a fair number of CDs and say "You know what? You're going on the sale pile."
I last did it in 2006. If it weren't for songs that I'd purged after a single listen my first time through each album I'd probably have 600 more songs.
And I have 1033 songs in my "new" folder that I've never listened to.
-
I can really get into Arcade Fire on a song by song basis but I find that a whole album through is too much.
thats how i feel about every band whose music i enjoy. you guys have lengthy, well-thought-out discussuions about 'x-album' vs. 'whatever other album' from any given musical person or group, and im all, "hm". [[scratches head.shrugs]]
-
And I have 1033 songs in my "new" folder that I've never listened to.
2546 here, but maybe 5% of them I've heard, just not on this iPod.
-
Arcade Fire's best song: [Rococo]
Damn, really? That's probably my LEAST favorite song on the album.
Well, matters of taste and all that.
On the matter of the Arcade Fire, I can't pimp this enough: www.thewildernessdowntown.com
Seriously, if you haven't seen this yet, do it now.
Also, my 2008 CD art is up. Finally, I can check off something from my to-do list that's been there for three years.
-
Man, their first EP is the best. That version of keep the car running is awesome. Their first album is pretty good too. After that they are like little indie Bruce Springsteens. I like Bruce Springsteen, but I do not like them.
-
Also, my 2008 CD art is up. Finally, I can check off something from my to-do list that's been there for three years.
Thats kind of how my to-do lists work as well.
-
After that they are like little indie Bruce Springsteens. I like Bruce Springsteen, but I do not like them.
Arcade Fire and Bruce Springsteen? Yeah, we got that. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsukSiGcUng)
-
A ton of Will Oldham (Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Palace etc., all of it).
And SFA and the Flaming Lips. Thanks again Keith!
-
And SFA and the Flaming Lips. Thanks again Keith!
Fuck Yeah!
-
I listened to that Black Angels album I gave y'all like 3 times today. Man that album is good, I really hate the song True Believers though.
-
When I listened to that one my eyes were seeing Black Angels, but my brain was registering Black Keys. After two songs I finally realized it was not the Black Keys. I kept thinking This doesn't sound like the Black Keys. Ha ha. I am slow sometimes.
-
I love this album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gYoj-WGH5U
-
For whatever reason, although I've heard of Richard and Linda Thompson since I was a kid, I've never listened to any of it. That was really enjoyable.
-
Same for me. I think I only bothered to listen to them after I read High Fidelity several years back, in which a character describes Richard Thompson as England's finest electric guitarist. The entire album is fantastic.
-
Thanks Paul!
I'll be listening to Wilco and Thin Lizzy and UFO and Nazareth and...
Yeah, I got some days of listening here. Thanks!
Paul paying it forward.
-
Thanks Paul!
I'll be listening to Wilco and Thin Lizzy and UFO and Nazareth and...
Yeah, I got some days of listening here. Thanks!
Thank Nabu for the Thin Lizzy. I just forwarded what he sent me.
-
I love this album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gYoj-WGH5U
I have a version of this song by Bonnie Prince Billy. It's a pretty cool song.
-
candy girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAFg2TQk9v0)-new edition
-
I am listening to Miles Davis: The Columbia Years.
-
I never knew that New Edition was a poor man's Jackson Five.
-
I never knew that New Edition was a poor man's Jackson Five.
did you know that new kids on the block was basically 'new edition for white girls'?
-
did you know that new kids on the block was basically 'new edition for white girls'?
I was paying as much attention to New Kids on the Block as I was to New Edition.
-
New Edition is actually valid.
-
I think I have a new favorite voice. (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=loretta+lynn+honky+tonk+girl&aq=f)
Maybe I just have a thing for girls with southern accents. But holy hell can this lady sing, and this was the first song she ever wrote.
But seriously, listening to country artists from Hank Williams and Jimmie Rodgers to Loretta Lynn and Wanda Jackson... there is just something about the way they sing that constantly astonishes me. Even just on a level of I would never say "man" like "ma-haing" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU8ARXYc9Z0) the way she does.
Also, I love the way you can hear that jazzy 20's influence in Jimmy Rodgers's music. Like, oh man, this is where pop music comes from. (http://Like, oh man, this is where pop music comes from.)
There is something about the way they sing that makes me notice their awesome lyrics.
"T for texas, T for tennessee... T for Thelma, the girl who made a fool out of me."
"But the man I love, when he picks up trash
He puts it in a garbage can
And that's what a you look like to me
And what I see's a pity
You'd better close your face
And stay out of my way
If you don't wanna go to fist city"
"If your house catches fire
And there ain't no water around.
If your house catches fire
And there ain't no water around,
Throw my suitcase out the window
Let the house burn on down."
-
rolling in the deep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYEDA3JcQqw)-adele
i think im in love...
-
Loretta Lynn is indeed awesome. Good taste, D.
-
inev i cannot BELIEVE you haven't heard this album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Lear_Rose) jesus man you were in charge of a radio station like right after it came out or some shit
-
I'm listening to The Cure: Join the Dots (rarities album). "A Man Inside My Mouth" - you don't say!
-
that album came out when I was a sophomore in high school.
also, despite being a college radio music director, there was a really large amount of stuff that I didn't listen to because I am a hoss's ass who is lazy about listening to music.
-
It's a Wipers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wipers) marathon today, because I'm just in that kind of mood. (Old-school Pac NW punk.)
-
I love the Wipers. My favorite review at the radio station where I used to work was of a wipers album.
Will type out when I am not on my phone.
It is really weird how sometimes I am really into something and I never do very much Internet research on it. And then one day, "oh, there are probably blogs about African guitar music."
-
I did mention that I am pretty good friends with their original drummer, right? He is awesome. Coolest rock star I ever met (though he'd hate me calling him that).
-
sticks and stones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEwjo5J8AAQ)-valient thorr
-
So, since I have not posted any mixes, I will send you guys a link to my friend's awesome mix. Here it is (http://www.mediafire.com/?6ctzyzyfwotbsoa). He likes the coolest/weirdest/worst music of anyone I know. He is a unique guy. This mix super-rules, and I think I would think that even if he were a stranger on the internet.
I hope you guys like dance music, both super-hip modern and corny retro in variety.
-
I really love this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv55Kq462LM).
-
These guys (http://rcrdlbl.com/) will send you an email with links to free songs. I was just going to send this to you, Paul, but then I figured some other folks might want it. If this music is not cool enough or too many people like it or the bands' names are stupid, go fuck yourself - I like free shit.
-
Thanks Nabu.
I listened to the new Radiohead. I'm not feeling it yet. Lots of beeps and whirs, but not a lot of melody or guitars. Also very mellow.
But King of Limbs comes directly before King of the Delta Blues Singers in my playlist so I am having a good time listening to Robert Johnson. Haven't heard that in way too long.
Edit: Next up, King of the Surf Guitars. Come on Dick Dale!
-
I got an email from them saying it came out. I looked and saw they were charging for this one. Call me a dick, but I don't listen to In Rainbows much and it was free, so no thanks.
-
Edit: Next up, King of the Surf Guitars. Come on Dick Dale!
Ah hells yeah.
-
Let's see, how far can I take this...
King of the Texas Blues -Lightning Hopkins. Great music, but not in the mood for country blues now after Dick Dale.
King of the World - hossshoe. I don't know who this is. Must be from that batch of local bands that a friend told me I should listen to.
Kingpin Soundtrack - Maybe later.
Kings of the Wild Frontier - Adam Ant. No.
Kink Kronikles- Yes!
-
I got an email from them saying it came out. I looked and saw they were charging for this one. Call me a dick, but I don't listen to In Rainbows much and it was free, so no thanks.
FWIW I fuck*ng love it. In Rainbows took at least a year to grow on me and I still rarely listen to it. This one may be my favorite since Kid A.
I listened to the new Radiohead. I'm not feeling it yet. Lots of beeps and whirs, but not a lot of melody or guitars. Also very mellow.
Guitar rock was, is, and will forever remain my first love in music, but to me Radiohead was at their best when they first moved away from conventional guitar rock. I don't agree with the "lots of beeps and whirs" comment, although it is pretty mellow, and yeah, not a lot of guitar in the foreground. To each his own.
-
Ok, I may give it a try.
My King albums:
King Bee - Muddy Waters
King for a Day/Fool for a Lifetime - Faith No More
Kingdom of Rust - Doves
Kings of Punk - Poison Idea
(I'm pretty sure I have more at home that aren't on the iPod.)
-
Ummm...
King - T.I.
King Night - Salem
King of Limbs - Radiohead
King of the Mountain - Kate Bush single (b/w cover of Sexual Healing, interesting but why listen to it when I have Marvin's which is the best song ever)
Kings of Crunk - Lil Jon and the East Side Boyz
Then it jumps to Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me. Sorry guys.
-
My complete King list
King - Belly
Kings X - Kings X
King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents In Concert - John Entwistle
King of Hearts - Roy Orbison
King of Limbs - Radiohead
King of the Texas Blues -Lightning Hopkins
King of the World - hossshoe
Kingpin Soundtrack
Kings of the Wild Frontier - Adam Ant
King Bee - Muddy Waters
Dang, I have it on vinyl. I can't believe I've never got it digitally. Such a great album. It's essential!
-
S/T-- King Khan and the BBQ Show
King of Afrobeat-- Fela Kuti
King of the Beach-- Wavves
King of the Surf Guitar-- Dick Dale
King of the Delta Blues Singers-- Robert Johnson
then on to the kinks.
I have never been huge on Radiohead. I mostly like their guitar stuff, because apparently I am a guitar man through and through.
-
My Robt Johnson is entitled "The Complete Recordings" but they're all the same, really.
-
because apparently I am a guitar man through and through.
Just not when it comes to Jazz.
Hooray for the electric guitar. Best instrument ever. Listening to Sonic Youth right now. I guess it's kind of strange that I like Radiohead's non guitar stuff best.
-
OK, do you like Bad Moon Rising?
I am listening to it now, finally.
my GF's friend said that before Evol, Sonic Youth were "really bad" and for some reason that really aggravated me. It really bothers me when people do not make the "I don't like it"/"it is bad" distinction.
Also, my thought was that when I am listening to challenging music, I typically rely to some degree on the idea that if other people whose opinions I respect like something, it is worth listening to several times to give it a chance. And Thurston Moore is way higher on my list than some dickbag college radio kid.
-
I like it. Among the albums I have it's the one with which I'm least familiar. It's also the earliest album I own. I need to explore those first three some more.
This (http://www.fakejazz.com/articles/coolerthanyou/sonicyouth.shtml) is kind of fun. I knew some of the guys that wrote for the site, fakejazz.com, and that links to a feature they did when Murray Street was released.
I like how divided they are on NYC Ghosts & Flowers. That shitbag Brent DiCrescenzo hated it (http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/7342-nyc-ghosts-flowers/). I haven't listened to it yet.
-
You guys like Golden Smog (http://www.allmusic.com/artist/golden-smog-p39087/biography)? My wife bought me Another Fine Day (http://www.allmusic.com/album/another-fine-day-r838394/review) a few years ago, knowing that I like Wilco. It's no Another Perfect Day (http://www.allmusic.com/album/another-perfect-day-bonus-tracks-r551505/review), but then again, what is?
-
Never listened to Golden Smog, but was annoyed by them once because they were in town and at first glance I thought I was reading that Smog was in town.
But I do really like Another Perfect Day, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkb2nMr. WonderfulvBs The fuck?
This work? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVzD7Lw2ees)
-
In an interesting twist of fate, newly-appointed Smashing Pumpkins bassist Nicole Fiorentino has admitted to being one of the two girls on the cover of Siamese Dream. A former member of Spinnerette and Veruca Salt, the 31 year-old musician says she was initially reluctant to tell Billy Corgan the news, fearing that he wouldn't let her join the group.
-
Iron & Wine, "Woman King"
Kings of Leon
Kings of Convenience
King Missile
DJ Mark the 45 King
Acid House Kings
Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
-
I had just done albums starting with King. Others:
Artists
Albert King
BB King
California King
Chesterfield Kings
Freddie King
Joe "King" Carrasco
Kaki King
King Palmer (Ren & Stimpy music)
Kings Go Forth
Kingston Trio
Marcel King
Paddy Kingsland (more R&S)
Paul King
Perrey & Kingsley
Peter King
Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
Stalking Roxy
Talking Heads
Albums
A Farewell to Kings - Rush
The Grand Pecking Order - Oysterhead
Kicking Television - Wilco
Nothing's Shocking - Jane's Addiction
Of Cabbages and Kings - 10 Minutes Down (a friend's old band)
Shaking the Tree - Peter Gabriel
Stop Making Sense - Talking Head (twofer)
Talking Book - Stevie Wonder
Tragic Kingdom - No Doubt
Vagabonds Kings Warriors Angels - Thin Lizzy
Walking with a Ghost - White Stripes
Songs
Stop Breaking Down - Robert Johnson
Taking Too Long - Wipers
Too Busy Thinking 'Bout My Baby - Marvin Gaye
Rocking in the Free World - Neil Young
Walking in the Great Shining Path of Monster Trucks - Clutch
Wild Sex (in the Working Class) - Oingo Boingo
Crawling King Snake - John Lee Hooker
King for a Day - Buncha songs by a buncha folks
King of Bedside Manor, Birds, Comedy, Pain, Rome, the Road, and the World - Buncha more folks
etc etc etc
-
King Albums
Gipsy Kings
King
King's X
King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents In Concert
King of Hearts
The King Of Limbs
King of the Delta Blues Singers
King of the Surf Guitar
King of the Texas Blues
King of the World
Kingpin
Kings of the Wild Frontier
Tragic Kingdom
Twang Bar King
Woman King
Artists
B.B. King
Carole King
Cast King
Chris Thomas King
Evelyn "Champagne" King
Freddy King
Gipsy Kings
King's X
King Crimson
King Curtis
King Diamond/P*****
King Friday
King Harvest
King Pleasure
Kings Go Forth
Kings of Convenience
Kings of Leon
The Kingston Trio
Nat King Cole
Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings
-
breaking, shaking, etc. shouldn't count. Boo to that.
-
What happened to my Evelyn "Champagne" King? Goddammit.
Carlos, just skip over those.
-
THIS SONG IS STUCK IN MY HEAD SO DAMN BAD I CAN'T STAND IT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgNnL1rB9NI)
note: does not contain the word "king"
-
note: does not contain the word "king"
Why not?
-
Has anyone other than me heard of Hellsongs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellsongs)? The only one I've heard is Jump (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG-nYZ6Tyqo), which isn't my absolute favorite cover, but I'm intrigued. I always like covers that aren't completely slavish.
Edit: Paranoid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiBdX-FU0og). Jump is dogshit compared to this. This is the point of covering songs.
-
Bad. Ass.
-
I have not listened to it in a bit, but there is this album called Frank Black Francis, which is a 2 cd set. The first cd is Pixies demos, the second is Frank Black redoing Pixies songs with some producers that aren't supposed to be any good, but I remember it being fuck*ng awesome.
Also, I am listenting to shit loads of Sonic Youth because of you people. Youth Against Fascism a lot, and, well, every other song of theirs on my ipod. (A Thousand Leaves, Dirty, Daydream Nation and SYR 1- Anagrama- I need to get Washing Machine and Sister on here asap.) I don't really like most early Sonic Youth I have heard, but really, when it comes to Sonic Youth I only know Sister, Daydream Nation, Washing Machine and Dirty. Everything else is just a surprise. I really liked the first half of A Thousand Leaves, but then stopped listening to it. Usually I either really like it or am indifferent, but then regardless I just play one of the four above the next time I want some Sonic Youth. Is there any album I need to listen to? Evol?
Also, I don't know where I heard it, but I really like Sonic (Middle Aged) Youth. I think they should change their name to that. I asked my bandmates if that could be our name, no go.
Also, I am almost positive I either heard about them here or posted about them here, but Nouvelle Vague. I haven't listened to them in a while, so don't remember their best songs, but this is a good intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7OS30c2Fys
two more good ones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4op1esLn4mc&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hapufz1NFkY&feature=related
-
I've got Washing Machine. Do you need that?
-
No, that was just unclear. I have that, just not on my ipod currently. It is on my computer, but I never really listen to music on my computer. I need to transfer it on there.
To be clear on another thing: I have heard and loved Sister, Daydream Nation, Washing Machine and Dirty, is there another Sonic Youth I really need to hear?
-
I don't know. Aside from a couple of songs that have turned up on soundtracks or mixdisc through the years, Washing Machine is the only SY I have. I'm not that crazy about them.
-
Goo is pretty cool and is also their "big commercial sellout" album.
I like this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOSsjuS0gTo&feature=related) a lot.
-
Definitely EVOL. I really like Murray Street and A Thousand Leaves. The last couple are good, too.
-
Weren't there some folks here that like Interpol (http://www.interpolnyc.com/tourep/)? Free shit.
-
Definitely EVOL. I really like Murray Street and A Thousand Leaves. The last couple are good, too.
Yeah, I listened to Murray Street and kinda liked it and then heard Sister and never listened to Murray Street again. I was 15 or 16, so maybe that was a mistake.
-
Finally figured out where, on my computer, I put the recent shit-ton of music I got here. Thank you, Keith and Paul - that is some tasty shit! While I as moving things around last night I listened to "Slip Inside this House" by 13th Floor Elevators like 6 or 8 times in a row, because I hadn't got everything permanently moved. That was an interesting experience. That's a great song.
-
I am listening to a lot of Swell Maps, and other bands listed in this book I'm reading about Pavement. I like this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVgGbTuF_nI). The book has a list of tons of albums that Pavement loves, from The Eagles to scuzzy industrial bands. It is going to take me a million years to listen to all of these albums.
-
I'm listening to (and learning about) the Monks. That whole experience must have been a fuck*ng trip. I wonder if they ever met Lemmy while they were in Germany.
-
I own 149 songs by Guided By Voices.
R.E.M. stands at 112, but I believe there are several CDs I haven't put on the computer yet.
-
I've got a bunch of R.E.M. songs too, but I don't listen to them very often. Most of the time I don't like them very much, but other times I do. iTunes says I have 99 R.E.M. songs, but I'm sure a few of those are doubles.
I wonder who I have the most of in my collection? iTunes doesn't really have a good way to sort that.The Beatles maybe (458 songs), I have all of their albums.
I'm kinda obsessed with my iTunes playlist. My top played song (since 2009/01/26) is Black Cadillacs by Modest penis coming in at 47 plays.
My top played Beatles song is Flying with 23 plays.
My top played R.E.M. song is Radio Free Europe with 5 plays. Dang, only 34 of my R.E.M. songs have any plays at all. It's been a long time since I've been on an R.E.M. binge.
Maybe I should listen to more R.E.M. this weekend.
-
My most played is a mashup by DJ Schmolli - "Busy Fuckin' in the Bushes" - but only because it came first on my workout mix and lots of times I forget to put my iPod back on shuffle. (Actually most played is a relaxation thing that sometimes I play at work.)
First real song: JB, "Funky President" 52 times. It was sort of an Obama theme song, cursing the darkness at work. I played that fucker over and over when he got elected. People up here flat-out writhed when it would come on.
Most tracks might be Thin Lizzy (surprise) with 263. Second might be Ween with 257 (that actually surprises me). I used to have a shitload of Beastie Boys, but I had to get rid of a lot of it - duplicates, live tracks, remixes, shit like that. It's all somewhere. I have 327 by Go Home Productions, but again mashups, so sort of dicey counting them.
-
Yeah, I listened to Murray Street and kinda liked it and then heard Sister and never listened to Murray Street again. I was 15 or 16, so maybe that was a mistake.
It's worth another listen. I have a hard time picking a favorite between a handful of their albums but Murray Street is one of them. It is miles away from what they were doing with Sister, though. And yeah, you definitely need to listen to Evol.
-
My most is 479 by They Might Be Giants. And I stopped closely following them in like 2003 so I have none of the kids' albums and haven't acquired any demos etc in 8 years. Otherwise I'm sure I'd have many, many more.
-
Most Tracks: The Carter Family, with 626. I'm sure a lot of these are duplicates.
most played is weird, because I've only had this computer since last May. But it goes:
Wavves, Joy Division, Ty Segall, Mission of Burma, Omar Khorshid, CCR, Madvillian.
Because of a college crush, Last.fm says my most played track of all time is Can I Get Get Get (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z3H0zWCsnI) by Junior Senior.
-
I am listening to Sweet right now.
-
I am listening to Sweet right now.
As you should.
-
I am listening to Sweet right now.
Careful with that stuff. You get too much, you get too high.
-
Don't have that one. D'oh!
-
I sorted my itunes by the search term "sweet" and listened to sweet songs all night. Now I'm listening to "Detroit" songs. What can I say, I woke up with Detroit Rock City playing in my head.
-
I was wrong when I said . . . the most tracks I had was Thin Lizzy.
Pearl Jam - 417 - shitload of live albums.
-
Pearl Jam - 417 - shitload of live albums.
97 Pearl Jam for me. That number goes up a little if you include that album they did with Neil Young. I bought a couple of those live albums. They put out a disc for every show on their 2000 tour. Something like 120 shows.
-
I wonder who I have the most of in my collection? iTunes doesn't really have a good way to sort that.The Beatles maybe (458 songs), I have all of their albums.
I'm still wondering.
Radiohead - 519
Grateful Dead - 480
Led Zeppelin - 275
Wilco - 272
Rolling Stones - 205
Thin Lizzy - 187 (Thanks Nabu)
AC/DC - 127
Probably Radiohead!
-
I got PJ's live album for the show I went to that tour, and then I got the highly rated European ones (Poland and London, I think) and then a lot of people gave them to me. I don't hardly listen to them anymore. I do really like Mike McCready, though.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some of the tracks that are listed as PJ were actually someone else.
-
I got the highly rated European ones (Poland and London, I think)
I've got the Manchester and Birmingham shows. That would be Manchester Tennessee and Birmingham Alabama. J/K I actually have Birmingham England and Memphis Tennessee.
-
I got PJ's live album for the show I went to that tour, and then I got the highly rated European ones (Poland and London, I think) and then a lot of people gave them to me. I don't hardly listen to them anymore. I do really like Mike McCready, though.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some of the tracks that are listed as PJ were actually someone else.
You probably have a shit ton of Creed labeled as PJ, haha.
Out of the 5 main albums I loved in junior high, Ten aged the least well I think. The other four are Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge by Mudhoney, Nevermind by Nirvana, Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden and Dirt by Alice in Chains. Well, Ten and Dirt didn't age too well, although Would? might be the best song from those albums. I still count the other three, especially EGBDF, among my favorite. Also, except for Dirt, all of those albums were released within like two months of each other. Crazy.
-
You probably have a shit ton of Creed labeled as PJ, haha.
That's so far from funny it can't even see it from there.
Out of the 5 main albums I loved in junior high, Ten aged the least well I think. The other four are Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge by Mudhoney, Nevermind by Nirvana, Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden and Dirt by Alice in Chains. Well, Ten and Dirt didn't age too well, although Would? might be the best song from those albums. I still count the other three, especially EGBDF, among my favorite. Also, except for Dirt, all of those albums were released within like two months of each other. Crazy.
Interesting. I can't stand Mudhoney, but I don't really have a problem with the rest - although it'd be hard for Ten to age well, as it's so fuck*ng overplayed it might as well be Appetite For Destruction. My personal take is that PJ turned into a bit better band than I thought they would, and the opposite for Nirvana.
-
The hell you say - Dirt is an album for the ages.
-
Jerry Jeff Walker-- Viva Terlingua. 99 cent record bin. YEAH.
Whenever I play country music (loudly) in my house, I think about how I am the only white person in my building. It is like the inverse of when I hear loud rap music playing.
-
I got that from my dad, pretty awesome.
I wannna be home with the armadilo
You should check out Terry Allen - Lubbock (On Everything)
-
My personal take is that PJ turned into a bit better band than I thought they would, and the opposite for Nirvana.
I was trying to remember when it was that I saw Pearl Jam and I ran across this...
It's hard for us to watch early performances, even though that's when people think we were on fire and young. Playing music for as long as I had been playing music and then getting a shot at making a record and at having an audience and stuff, it's just like an untamed force...a different kind of energy. And I find it kind of hard to watch those early performances because it's so just fuck*ng, semi-testosterone-fueled or whatever. But it didn't come from jock mentality. It came from just being let out of the gates. And Jeff and Stone, their hoss was just about to be put down when it was put in the race. And I was coming from the same place. So when they finally let us out of the gates, we didn't have a smooth, galvanized, streamlined gate [sic]. We were just rocking all over the place.
What a fuck*ng pussy!
-
Jerry Jeff Walker-- Viva Terlingua. 99 cent record bin. YEAH.
Whenever I play country music (loudly) in my house, I think about how I am the only white person in my building. It is like the inverse of when I hear loud rap music playing.
I used to listen to Charlie Pride (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Pride) with my Dad all the time. I don't know what that means.
-
I was trying to remember when it was that I saw Pearl Jam and I ran across this...
What a fuck*ng pussy!
Ed tends to be a little too introspective for my tastes. You don't have to examine every single moment of your life to make it worth living.
-
is it pathetic to bitch about jocks when youre not in HS or college anymore? or was he just referring to an attitude that some people have?
-
yeah, I could not really understand what he was saying. Something like "it's painful to watch how enthusiastic we are, because we come across as some sort of jock d-bags instead of the sensitive souls we are. We were just so excited because (gibberish metaphor that mostly meant "we were excited to be successful at music")"
right?
-
I for one still like "Ten." Not that I listen to it all the time or anything, but when I do hear tracks from it (particularly the non-radio cuts, since they haven't been played to death) I still like 'em. I saw Pearl Jam last summer, and I really wanted to hear "Porch." Didn't get that, but they did play "Garden," which was almost as good.
-
You don't have to examine every single moment of your life to make it worth living.
QFT. When I was in high school, I thought Socrates' statement that "the unexamined life is not worth living" was the most profound thing I'd ever heard, and resolved to be as fully conscious of each moment as possible. This was exhausting. By my junior year of college I would appendix anyone quoting that line with, "Let me tell you, the over-examined life is no picnic either."
-
its a question of balance, like with everything else, i suppose......
-
http://mashupbreakdown.com/
-
QFT. When I was in high school, I thought Socrates' statement that "the unexamined life is not worth living" was the most profound thing I'd ever heard, and resolved to be as fully conscious of each moment as possible. This was exhausting. By my junior year of college I would appendix anyone quoting that line with, "Let me tell you, the over-examined life is no picnic either."
Yeah, he said "unexamined", not "less than perfectly examined".
-
I just think he's a pussy because he is embarrassed that he used to rock out.
-
I think I have a new song leader. I went out to find on torrent an old Utopia album that I used to have on vinyl and cassette. I found it alright. I came across a torrent of every Todd Rundgren album ever including about 7-8 live albums from every phase of his career and several rarities collections I've never heard of. Altogether it was 54 albums. I don't know how many songs that adds up to exactly because it's 4 different bands. I already had about 10 of those albums, but now I guess I've pretty much got TR covered.
Edit: I just wanted to hear this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d7-KZvSE5E), ya know.
-
I just think he's a pussy because he is embarrassed that he used to rock out.
I think we are all clear on your feelings of "fuck this guy" with regard to Eddie Vedder.
-
I'm intrigued and surprised by how similar Queen and Sweet are. I never knew that.
-
I think we are all clear on your feelings of "fuck this guy" with regard to Eddie Vedder.
Just wanted to make sure there was no confusion there.
-
The Flaming Lips' "Embryonic". Kinda obsessively too. Why no one told me about this? I thought we were friends =(
I just think he's a pussy because he is embarrassed that he used to rock out.
He is, isn't he. Fuck him if he can't take a joke, right.
-
He is, isn't he. Fuck him if he can't take a joke, right.
He should be embarrassed that he doesn't rock out anymore.
-
I call this image BeastiAl:
(http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b9804fff83.jpg) (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)
(Obviously very old; new to me.)
-
oy
-
vanity fair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbLY7BNV7mM)-mr bungle
also, ape dos mil(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLdizHhO12k)-glassjaw
-
The Fireman, Electric Arguments. It came out in 2008 and I just now picked it up. It's no secret that I am a huge Paul McCartney fan and I love this one.
I have been vaguely aware of The Fireman for a long time, but never paid much attention to it because I figured it was mostly just experimental music. Otherwise, why use a pseudonym? Anyway, it's everything you would expect from a Paul McCartney album, great singing, great playing, fantastic melodies. It's great pop music.
-
The Fireman, Electric Arguments. It came out in 2008 and I just now picked it up. It's no secret that I am a huge Paul McCartney fan and I love this one.
I have been vaguely aware of The Fireman for a long time, but never paid much attention to it because I figured it was mostly just experimental music. Otherwise, why use a pseudonym? Anyway, it's everything you would expect from a Paul McCartney album, great singing, great playing, fantastic melodies. It's great pop music.
Electric Arguments is excellent, yes. But despite that, don't get the first Fireman album, Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest. It is eighty minutes of the same beat in slightly different remixes. You might listen to the first track and think it sounds decent, but then you will realise that every other track on the album is almost exactly the same. I haven't heard the second Fireman album, Rushes, but from what I've read it sounds closer to the first one than it does to Electric Arguments.
-
Fear of Music, that is their masterpiece, in my opinion.
Been listening to this a lot recently, and I think you might be right. Why this post popped into my head almost a year later, no idea.
-
probably as a way to avoid having to keep up with new music, I am wiping my iPhone and loading it up with:
Led Zeppelin
Cream
Jimi Hendrix
CCR albums I don't listen to every day
the Kinks
in an effort to re-visit things I have not heard in years. Also, there are a few Zeppelin and Kinks albums I have never heard. Actually, every Kinks album except for Village Green Preservation Society.
I think I will also put on the complete works of other great bands (Sonic Youth, for instance) whose other albums I have not heard.
-
I've decided to listen to my whole library this year. I'm averaging 100 songs a weekday so I figure I should be done around April. It would be longer but I'm pretty brutal about saying "I'll never listen to this song" and deleting it from iTunes. I mean, I have the CD if I ever change my mind.
Done! Well, mostly. I finished with the "core" ~7000 songs that fit on my iPod. I have another 2,000 or so that fall into the "I like this enough to not delete it but not enough to listen to it more than every few years" category. And also novelty songs and whatnot I have just because. Sometimes it's fun at a party to start a song just watch people go "This had better be Under Pressure. This really better be Under Pressure... You fucker."
-
man, it is weird that no stoner has ever made a documentary/rant/whatever about this thing I just discovered. I guess I have only explored like half of it, but it seems like it will keep holding true:
if you play every Led Zeppelin album in the order of the year they were released, that is:
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin IV
Houses of the Holy
Physical Graffiti
it is like one huge, awesome album that just keeps going and going for like 5 hours.
-
man, it is weird that no stoner has ever made a documentary/rant/whatever about this thing I just discovered. I guess I have only explored like half of it, but it seems like it will keep holding true:
if you play every Led Zeppelin album in the order of the year they were released, that is:
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin IV
Houses of the Holy
Physical Graffiti
it is like one huge, awesome album that just keeps going and going for like 5 hours.
I've never tried this. Hold on...
I'll get back with you tomorrow sometime.
-
Song of the Minerals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Xn32zZIYU)
What we need more of is Albini
-
RIP Nate Dogg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4vKWFCWw04&feature=player_detailpage#t=82s)
-
The West Coast rollz along.
-
Hey Paul - Steely Dan are playing in Portland on July 3rd. Have you ever seen them live? This is academic, because I'll be at work, but I thought I'd ask because I wish I could go.
-
I saw them twice back in the late 90s early 00s. I've still got the t-shirt somewhere in my closet. They are a listening band. That is to say, don't expect too much movement on stage or much of a show. They let the music do the talking.
The second time I saw them they played The Boston Rag (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifjVRdzapx4) which was nice because it's one of my favorites. And I wasn't expecting it since it's pretty obscure.
I love the lyrical poetry on it even though I have no idea what they are talking about other than it probably has something to do with drugs.
-
I heard that recently they have been playing deeper album cuts, and also that they've been taking requests after a fashion. I think they played "The Fez" at one of their shows fairly recently, and it was like the first time they'd ever played it live?
-
Paul, i thought you might enjoy this if you haven't seen it yet:
(http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/99c56c7632.png)
-
Nice!
-
Altar of Plagues - Feather and Bone (http://stereogum.com/669061/altar-of-plagues-feather-and-bone-stereogum-premiere/franchises/haunting-the-chapel/)
-
Inev, if you ain't already get Arthur by the Kinks on the go, has some of their best tracks. Stuff like Shangri-La and Victoria, truly superlative ditties.
-
I just downloaded that! As well as a bunch of other Kinks album listed on the "favorite albums" page of this book I am reading about Pavement.
Yeah!
-
Seriously man, that one is the shit.
-
Paul, i thought you might enjoy this if you haven't seen it yet:
[king of limbs flier]
The King of Limbs is my favorite Radiohead album.
-
The King of Limbs is my favorite Radiohead album.
I can never tell if you are fuck*ng with me.
-
Shangri-La and Victoria
I was always a fan of the Kinks even though I didn't have any of their records. They have a lot of great hits. Then I started buying their records and the songs on the records are even better than the hits. Love both of those songs. Never heard either one of them until about 10 years ago.
-
I can never tell if you are fuck*ng with me.
The album is beautiful, genius. Every Radiohead album is all about, "ugh, society is bringing u down," and all the usual stupid shit. It's all great music
but King of Limbs goes a totally different direction. It's about nature. It's about a tree and the album is a group of songs that personify the "thoughts" of a tree as it goes through a season. The awakening and the fight to survive. The emergence of self and sexuality. It describes a love story between the tree and its leaves which culminates in letting them go. So real, so surreal. Such a simple concept and so beautiful that I must call it genius.
The observations can shed insight onto one's own life, and one's relationship with nature and the universe.
Meanwhile the band releases their most musically mature album. It's hypnotic, the lushest textures the band has woven yet can get you lost so deep your ego may evaporate. The melodies are teasing, they coax you out of a trance only to trail away in walls of sound that send you back into space. Best ever use of reverb turns vocal lines into beautiful chords. Granted, it's not a new concept to the band, which seems to be an argument of the album's detractors (not innovative enough). But that is nonsense. The album has deeper texture than I've ever heard.
The album is challenging in multiple ways yet still very accessible. Yet it has many detractors. I feel most of them are just disappointed not to hear telecaster strings snapping around with the treble completely maxed out, crash cymbals ringing throughout a two hour album. No: The King of Limbs is a whisper. A ghost.
A quiet request to join the universe on a new plane of existence.
-
King of Limbs review
That's worth a can. I don't know why I don't listen to music in that fashion anymore. I guess I just got too busy.
-
I mean, shit, I don't care for no Raidohead but I'm half convinced.
-
I mean, shit, I don't care for no Raidohead but I'm half convinced.
I'm so convinced by that review that I might take RG's advice on guitars.
-
So much new music has come my way lately that King of Limbs kinda got lost in the shuffle. My first impression was meh... I definitely need to give it a second chance. I do love Radiohead.
And look, here's a picture of Thom Yorke playing an SG.
(http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/85518227.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5486DBD429B78E955F7D25BF18D62873F5AC8B948CD0D9EAD7A)
-
That has to be pre-KOL though.
I really like the new album, too.
-
I was always a fan of the Kinks even though I didn't have any of their records. They have a lot of great hits. Then I started buying their records and the songs on the records are even better than the hits. Love both of those songs. Never heard either one of them until about 10 years ago.
Exactly Paul, they have a strength in depth that belies the classic rock radio stations and guitar rock compilations endless love for You Really Got Me. Superb songwriters who provide real depth and clarity to every lyric and melody.
I've been listening to a lot of Half Man Half Biscuit recently. Extremely 'English', but not in the way the Kinks were. No sir.
-
I'll just toss this in here:
"It wasn't called heavy metal when I invented it." Dave Davies
-
Hey, I just gave you your three hundreth can.
-
I thought it was The Beatles who, as well as validating the existence of thousands of years of British history by being such a successful project, invented heavy metal.
-
Beatles are good times and Dave's a bit of a bastard, but I can't really argue with the quote.
-
I wonder if there would be a market if I could get this maniacally shrieking monkey in my head on tape?
yes.
if by market you mean one guy on the internet.
-
I'm not listening to anything right now, but last night I listened to my wife play a couple of songs with her new band, then some friends of ours play a full set with their old band, then my brother-in-law get up and play metal/punk karaoke with his bassist (playing a Les Paul for this set) and lots of different people singing, and then a full Misfits cover set with another person playing the Les Paul and the bassist going back to my bass. It was pretty awesome.
-
Songs from the Wood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_from_the_Wood)
-
Songs from the Wood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_from_the_Wood)
After reading this, I went back to find out when exactly Tony Iommi played for them ('68) and learned that Phil Collins also played for them at one gig in '82.
-
After reading this, I went back to find out when exactly Tony Iommi played for them ('68)
He didn't do any recording with them, but was in the band when they did the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6046328113991991942#).
-
He didn't do any recording with them, but was in the band when they did the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6046328113991991942#).
And is actually not on record with them, as the music was dubbed later.
-
So what are you saying, was that not a live recording?
-
So what are you saying, was that not a live recording?
Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi played guitar for Jethro Tull briefly in 1968 following the departure of Mick Abrahams. The only recording of him with Jethro Tull is on The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus although his guitar is not heard as all of the music (except Ian Anderson's vocals and flute) was dubbed in afterwards. It was a one-off performance and he returned to Black Sabbath (then called Earth) in January 1969.
Iommi, Butler, Ward and Osbourne renamed their band Earth in September 1968. They carried on under this moniker until December 1968 when Iommi briefly departed to play in Jethro Tull. However after only one performance (an appearance on "The Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus" in which the band mimed "A Song for Jeffrey", while Ian Anderson sang live), Iommi was back with Earth once more.
Allmusic just says he was in Jethro Tull during that time and that he played on "Rock & Roll Circus" so in conclusion I got nothing.
-
That is very interesting. I guess I never questioned it because it seems very live. Also, The Rolling Stones performance on the same show is so rambling and shambolic that it must be live.
-
"Shambolic" - Paul, you magnificent bastard!
-
Ha ha, I saw that word used last week in a review on Pitchfork for the reissue of Queen's early catalog. So I looked it up. I kinda like it.
-
shambolic is definitely a soul-boner word.
-
The Flaming Lips feat. Neon Indian (http://www.freshwap.net/music/644870-the-flaming-lips-with-neon-indian-the-flaming.html).
-
Hey you guys can be the first to hear the vid I just made.
I've been fuckin around with a loop pedal and I [will] try to make a video every day to stay limber.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRBmuoRN-Eo
-
My brother-in-law came over today to kind of step me through some shit on the computer so I can start recording. I'm inordinately excited about the prospect. I have to decide whether I want to record tomorrow or go hang out at the guitar shop.
-
Also I like what you are playing there.
-
Hey you guys can be the first to hear the vid I just made.
I've been fuckin around with a loop pedal and I [will] try to make a video every day to stay limber.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRBmuoRN-Eo
That was very nice! Ima start making some vids too.
-
That was very nice! Ima start making some vids too.
Is this the place with the like button?
-
I just (at long last) got some Big Star. I know I should have gotten it long ago. I'm pretty excited to check them out.
-
What'd you get?
-
What'd you get?
i didn't get nothin'. i had to pay fifty bucks and pick up the garbage in the snow.
-
What'd you get?
Went to the library - here's everything:
Al Green: Lay It Down (produced by ?uestlove and it is delicious)
Big Star: #1 Record & Radio City (about time, I guess)
Kaiser Chiefs: Off With Their Heads (I got some of their other stuff and it was pretty good)
Dead Weather: Sea of Cowards (I'm sort of a completionist when it comes to Jack White - my wife and I courted over the White Stripes, and they were the first show we saw together)
Eels: End Times (I thought I had way more Eels than I do)
AC/DC: '74 Jailbreak (haven't had this in years, been thinking about their version of Baby Please Don't Go lately)
Hawkwind: Welcome to the Future (live 2CD set, I can't find it listed anywhere but it's probably similar to the other 46 million live sets by them)
-
Went to the library - here's everything:
Big Star: #1 Record & Radio City (about time, I guess)
AC/DC: '74 Jailbreak (haven't had this in years, been thinking about their version of Baby Please Don't Go lately)
Hawkwind: Welcome to the Future (live 2CD set, I can't find it listed anywhere but it's probably similar to the other 46 million live sets by them)
Hey I just downloaded some Hawkwind. Never listened to them before, pretty cool.
If you like Big Star well enough, and if your library has it, it's worth checking out Keep an Eye on the Sky, Big Star's recent box set. Or if not, be sure to also check out Third/Sister Lovers, and then Chris Bell's I Am the Cosmos.
Jailbreak is one of my maybe three or four or five favorite AC/DC songs. Why it didn't make the US version of Dirty Deeds is beyond me. Not that the Australian version is sequenced perfectly. OK, so here is the correct sequence:
Side 1
1) "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"
2) "Ain't No Fun (Waiting Round to Be a Millionaire)"
3) "There's Gonna Be Some Rockin'"
4) "Big Balls"
5) "Problem Child"
Side 2
1) "Jailbreak"
2) "R.I.P. (Rock in Peace)"
3) "Ride On"
4) "Squealer"
The big changes from the Australian are moving Big Balls to the first side and switching Jailbreak and Squealer. Jailbreak works well as a side opener and closer, but Squealer is such a perfect closer. It's the only thing that the US version nailed.
-
i didn't get nothin'. i had to pay fifty bucks and pick up the garbage in the snow.
Correction. You got a can.
-
AC/DC: '74 Jailbreak (haven't had this in years, been thinking about their version of Baby Please Don't Go lately)
Have you seen this (http://youtu.be/1VlRUIHwygc).
-
Have you seen this (http://youtu.be/1VlRUIHwygc).
As soon as I saw your link, I thought "Bon in a dress".
Have you seen these bubblegum rockers (http://youtu.be/BQ-45XG7n4k) or these prog-rock hippies (http://youtu.be/hZY2nl2CwLc) or heard this old-school rocker (http://youtu.be/g1Z-Cwuavc0)?
-
Have you seen these bubblegum rockers (http://youtu.be/BQ-45XG7n4k) or these prog-rock hippies (http://youtu.be/hZY2nl2CwLc) or heard this old-school rocker (http://youtu.be/g1Z-Cwuavc0)?
Good Lord. No, that was amazing. I had no idea.
"Bon in a dress".
Almost as amazing is Angus appears to be wearing an Angus costume. It's like what he always wears, but not quite.
-
Good Lord. No, that was amazing. I had no idea.
Me either. Bon Scott could really sing.
-
Me either. Bon Scott could really sing.
And play the recorder, as well.
Bon Scott does not know who the bass player of Kiss is (http://youtu.be/lQ9qcjls0kA).
-
The album that was so un-Neil Young that Geffen sued Neil Young for making it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAv69KITjdk)
-
i hate everyone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQd7_HqR900)-say anything
-
I finally found the song that gets stuck in my head for weeks at a time online. It is a really crappy video version without all the OOMPH behind it. But, holy crap. (http://www.myvideo.de/watch/7876502/Omar_Khorshid_Guitar_El_Chark)
Also the weird synth-drum solo at around 1:10 of this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruAklSJQ08M).
At a certain point around 1:27, the drum just keeps going and going, just on that one weird drum... man. What is going on there.
-
What I listened to for the last thirty minutes or so of City of God was the music to the game Taberinos. Interesting how well it seemed to fit. Computers are tricky!
-
good god taberinos has so many ads. so many ads!
-
good god taberinos has so many ads. so many ads!
Does it? You best start using an adblocker, my friend.
Back when the game was hot I challenging all the top scores in Taberinos. Now I am past my prime.
-
i haven't found a way to block mochi ads in chrome.
-
My overlords just released a phone that taps you into an unlimited music service. So I've had it sitting on my desk the last two days "Testing".
By testing, meaning I go in and download the entire catalog of a particular artist, and play it all the way through.
Today has been XTC.
-
Love, love, love XTC.
The Godin is awesome, by the way.
-
Two tracks in to the new TV On The Radio. Brilliant so far.
Also brilliant: new Paul Simon.
Excellent: new Bob Dylan (In Concert Brandeis University 1963). The best version of Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues I've ever heard.
P.S. Mad love for XTC.
-
new Paul Simon.
What!?! How did that get past me? Thanks for the heads up Vic.
-
I believe tomorrow with be TV on the Radio day! Downloading all their stuff too!
In re: Godin - Awesome! I was really pleased with the play feel myself.
-
Fuck You! by the Cee Lo gentleman has been stuck in my head for about a week. It makes for an interesting week when Im secretly singing "so fuck you, fuck fuck you" in my head during work conversations.
-
Fuck You! by the Cee Lo gentleman has been stuck in my head for about a week. It makes for an interesting week when Im secretly singing "so fuck you, fuck fuck you" in my head during work conversations.
Did you see the ASL version I posted in the YouTube thread? That was fun.
-
The New TV on the Radio is great!
I accidently got into these guys. The second time I saw them live, I was like "They guys are pretty great!"
-
New Cass McCombs is wonderful. I think so far it's only been released in the UK, but I have a[n internet] connection.
Sorry if I already shared this, but it's great: http://soundcloud.com/dominorecordco/cass-mccombs-county-line
-
I just watched the Rocky Erickson documentary, and now I can't stop listening to You're Gonna Miss Me. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlOBMC1RLw0) Hoo boy. I also just passed the point in listening to that album where I have realized started really loving a lot of the songs I didn't like too much at first.
-
I went to school with the niece of Terry Chambers (XTC drummer). True story.
God I love XTC. The only good thing to ever emerge from Swindon
-
It has a Magic Roundabout.
(http://realdupont.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/swindon_magic_roundabout_eng.png)
-
Oh, man, we got some fairly simple round about's in my city last year, and you should see the way people lost their shit over it. Sad.
-
there is a kind-of-roundabout near my house, and I have seen more people go around it clockwise than counter-clockwise.
-
when i lived in tampa, they put a roundabout in clearwater. before i moved out of tampa, they replaced the roundabout with a traffic light.
i lived in tampa for three years.
-
We've got a few roundabouts here in Houston. I used to think roundabouts were silly, but now I think they are pretty cool.
-
they really do handle traffic better, once the locals get used to them. tourists can never handle roundabouts unless they have a few locally.
-
Are round abouts really that rare in the US?
I heard something anecdotally a while ago that city planning types like them because you get less accidents at round abouts than traffic lights, because it's harder to just plough through I suppose.
-
Are round abouts really that rare in the US?
Depends on the area I think, but mostly yes. I don't understand what the big deal is though. I think people hear horror stories about driving in Paris. They put in a couple near where I grew up recently, and my dad was annoyed at first but then was impressed by how much the traffic situation improved. They have a few out here but mostly in areas that never had traffic problems to begin with.
I heard something anecdotally a while ago that city planning types like them because you get less accidents at round abouts than traffic lights, because it's harder to just plough through I suppose.
That's what I've heard. Intersections with traffic lights and stop signs are dangerous and inefficient, and roundabouts are relatively cheap and effective solutions. But yeah, just what I've heard anecdotally. I don't have any numbers.
-
This is in the center of the roundabout right near my house:
(http://media.oregonlive.com/margie-boule/photo/schmeer-joan-of-arcjpg-b53d173a3125e17a.jpg)
-
Seriously, Joan of Arc?
Still, cool statue.
You're damn right it's cool - it's gold!
Portland has a thing about teenage girls.
-
Portland has a thing about teenage girls.
I thought it was teenage boys (http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-10085-adams_admission.html).
-
This (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4205846883/) is in the middle of the roundabout in the Museum district.
There is an intersection very near my house where five streets converge. I avoid it like the plague because it always takes forever waiting for your turn to go. I so wish they would put in a roundabout there.
-
I've been listening to this Fluxblog Best of 2010 mixdisc the past couple of days off and on because I stumbled across The National and decided I like them. Turns out I have 5 The National songs on my playlist all from various mixdisc I've collected over the years. I guess it's time I noticed them. Anyway, that mixdisc is the bomb. 8 disc, 157 songs and there's not a single track that I don't at the very least find somewhat interesting. It's really fuck*ng good.
I also remembered how much I love There Goes Rhymin' Simon. Particularly these (http://youtu.be/0sk5SLh48tg) two (http://youtu.be/FmS2RkT9UBc) songs.
I love Paul Simon's music, but his words are profound. In my opinion he's America's greatest songwriter. Of the 20th century certainly, if not of all time.
Anywhoo... I was wanting to ask... There were two articles posted that I can't seem to find. One was a list of the worst songs of 2010 that was hilarious. I thought of it when their number one worst of the year, a song by Train, won best rock track at the Grammys. It also included a song by Ringo Starr, dueting with a young woman old enough to be his granddaughter and he keeps creepily crooning Who's your Daddy over and over. The other article a year by year history of the Grunge era as written by someone who lived through it as a teen.
Can anyone help me find these articles, please.
PS- Happy Easter!
-
I am pretty sure that grunge thing is on the av club.
-
cause I'm nice (this may not be what you are talking about, actually):
part 1: http://www.avclub.com/articles/part-1-1990-once-upon-a-time-i-could-love-you,45892/
part 2: http://www.avclub.com/articles/part-2-1991-whats-so-civil-about-war-anyway,46507/
part 3 : http://www.avclub.com/articles/part-3-1992-pearl-jam-the-perils-of-fame-and-the-t,47099/
part 4: http://www.avclub.com/articles/part-4-1993-smashing-pumpkins-liz-phair-and-urge-o,47739/
part 5: http://www.avclub.com/articles/part-5-1994-kurt-cobain-is-dead-long-live-soundgar,48366/
parts 6-10 are linked in a side bar on everyone of those
-
Thanks man. It had only gotten up to part 7 when I read it before.
-
I thought it was teenage boys (http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-10085-adams_admission.html).
That's nothing compared to Boise's thing for teenage boys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise_homosexuality_scandal).
-
I think I could write 100 pages worth about all the differences between the Group Bombino (http://www.sublimefrequencies.com/item.asp?Item_id=51) releases put out by Sublime Frequencies, and the new album "Agadez," by Bombino. (http://www.sublimefrequencies.com/item.asp?Item_id=51) (they are the same guy).
The self-loathing part of me wants to say "we are all really, really racist, but in different ways" is the thesis I would write.
Man, fuckin' Starbucks "world" music.
-
I saw Beans and Tobacco tonight, it was pretty rad!
-
This thing (http://music.amandapalmer.net/album/nighty-night).
Amanda Palmer, Ben Folds, Neil Gaiman and a couple of other people I don't know tried to write and record 8 songs in 8 hours, in the end they got 6 done in 12.
It's much better than I expected it to be. Nothing classic on there but all fun pop.
-
If loving Tesla is wrong, I don't want to be right.
-
This thing (http://music.amandapalmer.net/album/nighty-night).
Amanda Palmer, Ben Folds, Neil Gaiman and a couple of other people I don't know tried to write and record 8 songs in 8 hours, in the end they got 6 done in 12.
It's much better than I expected it to be. Nothing classic on there but all fun pop.
The 4th person is the dude from OK Go. Remember when they're style was more stilted and kind of amelodic?
-
If loving Tesla is wrong, I don't want to be right.
Yes to this. They're one past Boston on the Moh's scale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moh%27s_scale).
-
Been listening to Ty Segall -Melted in with my heavy Black Lips rotation. It is pretty alright.
Hey inev, is there other stuff from him I should get?
-
Damn, the new Adele album (http://www.adele.tv/home/) is good from first to last song. It's been a long time since I've found a record I can listen to all the way through without skipping any songs.
-
I like assorted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fctXAkmxiZw) tracks from his other albums (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Zh2v83ca4). Melted blows them away, though.
...those tracks are both from his self-titled. Maybe I have not listened to Lemons as much as I thought, because none of these songs sound familiar.
I have this album (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwPg9bOkFsY) on vinyl and haven't listened to it much.
-
I am rolling with the Britpop today - from DM to Cure to Radiohead to Arctic Monkeys (I'll be seeing them in August or so) to Eels to New Order to Smiths. I know they probably don't all fall neatly into a Britpop category/genre, exactly, but they sorta all make me feel the same way, which is what I need today (fuckin' work).
So, Radiohead fans, of which I know there are several here: I guess they are like the Dead or Wilco or Ween or (fill-in-the-blank) in that everyone has seventy-bajillion bootlegs by them? I have this 'Mists of Avalon' thingie and it's pretty cool.
Also, The Cure: Join the Dots is pretty cool as well.
-
Also, The Cure: Join the Dots is pretty cool as well.
Speaking thereof, they're apparently going to play their first three albums in full at a festival gig in Australia.
http://pitchfork.com/news/42420-the-cure-to-play-first-three-albums-in-full/
-
That'd be pretty sweet, but I think maybe it's Bob and a bunch of other guys? I can't remember. When I saw the Buzzcocks, they basically played everything off Another Music in a Different Kitchen, A Different Kind of Tension, and Love Bites (among other stuff). That was amazing.
-
Thee Oh Sees have 11 albums. Holy crap. I have really only listened to 4 of them.
It doesn't help that their early ones are out of print on vinyl, and I can't find them anywhere to download.
-
Blasted the Wipers again today - hey Keith, did I ever ask you if you had listened to them? Every time I hear Born with a Curse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDZ1Ezj2dOQ) I think of you - I think it's that main riff that does it.
-
I only love Juke (http://www.birthdaypartyberlin.com/audio/DJSluggoGodzilla.mp3). I just downloaded a ton, and right now I want everything to have a 150bpm beat behind it.
-
The Whitney Music Box (http://wheelof.com/whitney/index.php?var=v0). Try the variations.
Ooooooo. Cosmic. (http://wheelof.com/stars/)
-
I've been listening to the MGMT's first album pretty much non-stop.
Hell of enjoying it.
-
I love this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faae9ixbCEk
-
I discovered that McCartney contains the words Art and Car so it's become my soundtrack for Artcar weekend.
-
I said the McRae thing on FB, so I won't say it here. Oops.
Recent pulls from the library:
The Sounds "Something to Die For" - Danish pop.
Dr. Dog "Shame, Shame" - new old school rock. I really like Dr. Dog. They should have been recording in the late 60s/early 70s.
Them Crooked Vultures - I never got this when it came out. They played here and I didn't even go. Anyway, Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones, and Josh Homme.
The Shins "Wincing the Night Away" - I used to have this, and I think it got deleted. I may actually already be burned out on it.
Springsteen "Darkness on the Edge of Town" - Yeah, I don't have much Springsteen. I like him, I just never got any. It's sort of like a little treasure box I've never opened.
-
Dr. Dog are awesome! I like them a lot. I think Fate and Easy Beat are my favorites.
They are also fun to see live. My thought was that I want there to be a lot more indie rock that sounds like this.
-
Anyone here into The Mountain Goats? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii6kJaGiRaI) This is a tune I liked to listen to during my brief stint working at the level four virology lab. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-2kbculaI) It made me thing of some of the high level scientists I worked with - they were totally incapable of certain aspects of human nature, yet greatly wanting to be human.
-
This isn't really what I am listening to, but I found out one of my favorite Minutemen songs is a Steely Dan cover. Dr. Wu is the song.
-
This isn't really what I am listening to, but I found out one of my favorite Minutemen songs is a Steely Dan cover. Dr. Wu is the song.
Are you crazy? Are you high?
-
The Minutemen version is so good. So good. It makes me think that Steely Dan has really good lyrics.
And probably yes to both.
-
Are you crazy? Are you high?
Nah, he's just an ordinary guy.
-
THEY FINALLY GOT TO YOU
-
This isn't really what I am listening to, but I found out one of my favorite Minutemen songs is a Steely Dan cover. Dr. Wu is the song.
Heh heh. Ha ha ha!
My ex fuck*ng hated Steely Dan with a passion. Explains why I love them so much, maybe.
-
I really like Reelin' in the Years. I went through a brief Steely Dan phase after realizing how much I loved that song, and then read about the mu major chord (http://www.hakwright.co.uk/steelydan/mu-major.html) and from then on that was all I could hear. Pretty dumb, I know.
-
I really like Reelin' in the Years. I went through a brief Steely Dan phase after realizing how much I loved that song, and then read about the mu major chord (http://www.hakwright.co.uk/steelydan/mu-major.html) and from then on that was all I could hear. Pretty dumb, I know.
Fascinating. Have a can (add2).
-
This isn't really what I am listening to, but I found out one of my favorite Minutemen songs is a Steely Dan cover. Dr. Wu is the song.
I had no idea about this. It doesn't sound like Steely Dan, but I guess I wouldn't expect it to. That is a great song. I saw Mike Watt the last couple times he was in town and that guy is pretty fuck*ng rad. Great shows.
-
The day I posted that I watched you tube videos of him talking about econoline vans. It is fuck*ng sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBTC1VL4xuE
This interview with Thurston Moore is long and boring, but it is a pretty awesome story about his first times meeting him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfgbl0c65U0
-
vertigo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i31WrqyvEos)-jump little children
i think theyre a southern indie band? i heard about them from a FIF in GA.
-
yep! The lady mentioned in the Matter of Taste thread loves them, and claims to have made out with several of the members. In a really gross "went backstage at the concert" way.
...how did I ever think that was a smart person for me to date.
Lately I am on another hip-hop kick, and I am enjoying the heck out of it. Downloaded all 4 of the "Revenue Retrievin'" E-40 albums, and they are all kind of blending together. I think he overdid it.
I love his weird rapping style. The way he does weird things with his voice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GZbaXdK8Js) really tickles me. Keak da Sneak also has a really really weird voice.
Jesus Christ had dreads, so shake em
I aint got none, but I'm planning on growing some
Imagine all the Hebrews going dumb
Dancing on top of chariots and turning tight ones
I love the way hyphy didn't take itself seriously at all (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLvlGVNInw4). Although, I guess 90% of hyphy songs were talking about how great hyphy was, and how it is the best and most original hip-hop. Also, the marionette in that video kills me every time.
-
I love the way hyphy didn't take itself seriously at all (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLvlGVNInw4). Although, I guess 90% of hyphy songs were talking about how great hyphy was, and how it is the best and most original hip-hop. Also, the marionette in that video kills me every time.
ghost ride!
go crazy!
who's that drivin'?
patrick swayze!
-
yep! The lady mentioned in the Matter of Taste thread loves them, and claims to have made out with several of the members. In a really gross "went backstage at the concert" way.
Did those guys enjoy the taste of your spunk? Or did she not let them know about that?
-
Fimbulwinter - Black Metal Storm (http://youtu.be/wdqKYIzIRzg)
Killer riffs, basement sound. I don't know how some people can claim to like punk/hardcore type stuff and not like this.
edit: I mean, I realize that they are very different forms, but punk heavily influenced (early) black metal.
-
IS TROPICAL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwrbyVaC6EU)-THE GREEKS
the song is kind of 'meh', but the video is hell of poignant.
-
Fimbulwinter - Black Metal Storm
Killer riffs, basement sound. I don't know how some people can claim to like punk/hardcore type stuff and not like this.
I like this. I have always wondered what the deal was with metal always sounding like the 80s never ended. Not a huge fan of the screaming, either. But this is good. The riffs definitely have an early hardcore feel.
I always wonder if any meaningful proportion of metal fans like Lightning Bolt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7fVK1mA2zg&feature=related). Or other similar bands
-
I like the Lightning Bolt stuff. It reminds me of a lot of some the heavy, fuzzy, repetitive stuff that I listen to sometimes. It's definitely crazier, though.
I guess (one of) the problems with metal is that it's hugely sectarian, with all of these fanatical niche groups/styles. Some styles basically come down to trying to sound like one song on one album from one band. And that gets old sometimes, although there are bands that actually do it pretty well (Witchcraft (http://youtu.be/NDkABtiBw0k) does a pretty good early Black Sabbath). A lot of guys want to recreate their favorite song/band/genre/whatever, which is fine, but the more innovative stuff never really reaches the top(also, some of it is hard to listen to (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUcFAA1dKPY) (full disclosure: I love that song)). So you get a lot of imitation, rather than innovation. At least on the surface.
But the good stuff's there, you just have to dig a little. Which I guess you could say about almost everything.
edit: One of the best explanations I have heard for metal is that "it does not have a sense of irony." Which is not completely true, but does make a lot of sense.
-
Gamma Ray covers Pet Shop Boys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsfHFy30CuM). For next time you need to saddle up your pteranodon and fly across the Sahara.
-
Here Come the Warm Jets, holy crap. Holy crap. Robert Fripp playing some weirdo noisy-ass shit. YEAH.
-
Here Come the Warm Jets, holy crap. Holy crap. Robert Fripp playing some weirdo noisy-ass shit. YEAH.
I've tried to get into that, but it just don't work for me. I really want it to too because I fuck*ng love that title.
-
I am currently listening to T Rex.
-
I am currently listening to T Rex.
You know, I was just about to listen to Here Come the Warm Jets. I think I just dodged a bullet. Ha ha, bring on the Metal Guru!
-
You know, I was just about to listen to Here Come the Warm Jets. I think I just dodged a bullet. Ha ha, bring on the Metal Guru!
No weirdo noisy-ass shit - just pure glam-rock awesome.
-
somebody posted a white denim video on here the other day and now theyre my shit. also, ive been getting my musicomedy on with lonely island.
-
Here Come the Warm Jets, holy crap. Holy crap. Robert Fripp playing some weirdo noisy-ass shit. YEAH.
Oh HELLS yes.
-
Nick Lowe today.
-
Lonely Avenue by Ben Folds and Nick Hornby. Particularly Picture Window (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQKughc49-s&feature=related).
Oh man, I looked up some lyrics for that and realised that instead of being about a woman whose husband is in hospital (as I originally thought) I think it's actually about someone whose son is in hospital. That makes it so much worse.
-
Lonely Avenue by Ben Folds and Nick Hornby. Particularly Picture Window (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQKughc49-s&feature=related).
Oh man, I looked up some lyrics for that and realised that instead of being about a woman whose husband is in hospital (as I originally thought) I think it's actually about someone whose son is in hospital. That makes it so much worse.
Oh... I think if you made someone listen to this song back to back with Brick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5EHAqhR1c&playnext=1&list=PL7D92A1C348119516) on repeat enough times you could actually trigger chronic depression in the average person.
-
Yeah, you need to switch it up with the one he did with Poplamoose (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G5JaicYuVU)to kind of balance it out.
-
Yeah, you need to switch it up with the one he did with Poplamoose (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G5JaicYuVU)to kind of balance it out.
Or his Darkness cover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6behxER33-c&playnext=1&list=PL8303BD3214853948).
I have no idea if that will work. YouTube told me to fuck myself when I tried to play it, but maybe you guys live in the UAE or wherever it plays correctly.
-
Or his Darkness cover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6behxER33-c&playnext=1&list=PL8303BD3214853948).
I have no idea if that will work. YouTube told me to fuck myself when I tried to play it, but maybe you guys live in the UAE or wherever it plays correctly.
Nope, was it this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brErUo3exDE)?
When I went to see him last month he covered Ke$ha (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN1nD_mftaI). Apparently it's a thing he's doing this year.
-
Trying again: this one (http://www.bing.com/music/songs/search?q=ben+folds+get+your+hands+off+of+my+woman&selected=E5A18400-0100-11DB-89CA-0019B92A3933&FORM=DTPMUA) (takes some clicking).
-
Here Come the Warm Jets, holy crap. Holy crap. Robert Fripp playing some weirdo noisy-ass shit. YEAH.
While Here Come The Warm Jets is indeed awesome, Fripp's best Eno work is actually on Saint Elmo's Fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B807CcVxW9U) from Another Green World. FACT.
(This should more properly go into our nonexistent "What are you drunkenly listening to?" thread.)
-
Have I mentioned Wye Oak? A search says no.
So, yeah. Wye Oak. (http://blog.kexp.org/blog/2011/03/28/song-of-the-day-wye-oak-civilian/)
-
I'm in love with Madeleine Peyroux at the moment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLAVgj0JhCo).
-
I was going to come on here and talk about how great Another Green World is for the last few days, but then I forgot.
I have this problem with bands that I really like but that aren't my favorite bands- I only really listen to one album. I don't know why exactly that is, but with Eno it is all about Another Green World. I have listened to Here Come the Warm Jets and Taking Tiger Mountain, and both are good, but when I want Eno my mind will only accept Another Green World (or Roxy Music or the Talking Heads, but that is a different story). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFz50q_QmfE
While Here Come The Warm Jets is indeed awesome, Fripp's best Eno work is actually on Saint Elmo's Fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B807CcVxW9U) from Another Green World. FACT.
(This should more properly go into our nonexistent "What are you drunkenly listening to?" thread.)
-
Good lord I have listened to this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTZ7iX4vTQ) like six times today. It's a jaunty little song about shooting your classmates!
-
I'm in love with Madeleine Peyroux at the moment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLAVgj0JhCo).
Very nice. Her voice reminds me of Joni Mitchell.
-
Good lord I have listened to this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTZ7iX4vTQ) like six times today. It's a jaunty little song about shooting your classmates!
Pretty catchy. Something about the singer reminds me of Ryan Leaf, just a little.
Yes, I am irreparably scarred and view the world through a Ryan Leaf-colored lens. Please don't make fun of me.
-
And also, to be young again and model-gorgeous and musically talented and live in Southern California. I kinda want to keep an eye on these guys to see if they herald the coming apocalypse or something.
-
little secrets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScC_pi3PJ9k)-passion pit
their shit is kinda hot and stanky. one of the few electronic-y groups that are rad.
-
That was great.
I'm listening to Iggy this evening.
-
Oh man, I have been listening to penetration by the stooges so much. That little keyboard line kills me.
-
Big Star.
-
Cut Copy rocked Summerfest. Are there any fans here?
-
Live Fast, Die Young Mozart
-
I didn't realize that was a Mozart song.
-
That was the name of a mixdisc that Keith curated a couple of years ago. Brilliant.
-
The mix or the name? I stand by the name, I looked up the mix and don't stand by it quite so much. I mean, I was actually surprised at how many of those songs I still love/listen to all the time, but where is the continuity/you know, good order for a mix?
Also, I have been listening to the best mix of all time for the past 2 days. It is the Trip curated by Jarvis Cocker. http://www.amazon.com/Trip-currated-Jarvis-Cocker-Mackey/dp/B000B8TO9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307635165&sr=8-1
The first 8 songs on the second disc are fuck*ng classic. Here are a few:
Jet Boy, Jet Girl- Elton Motello- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KAXvTvO0TI
Wop Doowop- Electronicat- http://www.mediafire.com/?zzyimton1g1 (it is crucial you download this song if you like music)
In Zaire- Johnny Wakelin- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbYwBy7BbXE
Anonymous Face- Quix*O*Tic- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=970CL4BIMU4
Egyptian Reggae- Jonathan Richman- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg7WG6tCbrw (this might actually be on my old mix, it is a great song)
Flashing Lights- Screaming Lord Sutch and His Heavy Friends- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkLwMm--hL4 (I think on this song his heavy friends include John Bonham and Jimmy Page)
Alright, well that is it. Download that electronicat song, I'm tellin ya.
Oh, actually, another classic I discovered through this record- The Birthday Party- Release the Bats- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8pECW3UHs (yes, that is a young Nick Cave.)
-
Both.
-
Because of another thread, I am rocking Queen all day today. The greatest lyric in history: "You call me sweet like I'm some kind of cheese".
-
Dudes making a balaphone rock out. Grey Matter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Fc9lvRMy0)
Hey, I just cross posted this. Ha!
-
dead girls dont cry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO8bwMTmyeg)-nekromantix
-
Cass McCombs, I Cannot Lie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eDFU9XlHuI
-
I am apparently spending the morning on YouTube finding great Oingo Boingo songs I've never heard. Instead of getting any work done. Ash, this is all your fault.
-
I'm happy for my part in it.
-
I hope you're also pleased that I bought another of their albums from Amazon and then spent half an hour unsuccessfully trying to download it to an mp3 player. The computer kept saying it had downloaded it to one and it hadn't, and then it wouldn't even recognize the other device. GRRR.
I guess this goes along with watching the videos of their concerts and bemoaning the fact that I didn't know who they were when I could have gone to their concerts. This is a doomed love, clearly.
-
That I'm not happy about. That thing about missing your chance with the concerts, though - I know about that. I left Boise in '96, which was just after Built to Spill recorded their first two albums. I could have seen them wherever for like nothing.
-
After two days of technical difficulties I finally have one new album of theirs on my mp3 player. I want another one, but I really need to get some work done this week.
In the meantime, Wombat's thwarted passion for Danny Elfman and Oingo Boingo is currently focused on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdz79z9hoNg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdz79z9hoNg)
Is it just me, or if you heard this without knowing who it was, you'd swear it was Barenaked Ladies?
-
Ash, I hate you. No, I mean, please send that! Yeah, you are right - the live is different but just as good, which is better than identically reproducing the recordings on stage.
I think he's right not to perform again, ears or not. It couldn't be the same. It's important to know when to quit. I am curious about whether his singing voice could have held up, but I kind of don't want to know, oh god, he was so beautiful and now he is so old, it makes me want to cry. Not so old as in "wow, he made it to so old" but so old at the "this is almost the last step on the slippery slope" stage which I am too close to. I am loving these videos and yet somehow they make me feel my mortality hanging over me.
-
I'd like mp3 if I can get it to copy onto my damn player.
-
Fuck that! I say do it until you die. I mean, that is if it's what you love doing. God bless the Rolling Stones.
-
I get the BNL thing, Wombles.
I say play shows until you don't feel like it. I'd much rather not see a show than pay and see someone who doesn't feel like being there (Frank Black, I am all kinds of looking at you).
In Elfman's case, the hearing damage . . . yeah, that sucks. I've worn plugs to shows for at least the last ten years. If you don't - and I don't throw this around much - you are stupid. You can't get that back.
-
I get the BNL thing, Wombles.
Thank you! I suspect Ash is one of those BNL-haters and feels the comparison is sacrilege.
-
Thank you! I suspect Ash is one of those BNL-haters and feels the comparison is sacrilege.
He may not be, but I am. Well I wouldn't say I hate them, but I certainly don't understand their appeal at all.
-
The other day one of my friends was crowing on Facebook that they had just scored Bowling For Soup tickets. I called them a poor man's BNL. She was offended by the comparison.
-
There is no point trying to explain the appeal of a band. It is a gut reaction. But, what I feel about them is, sometimes you want to listen to a group that is good at just normal songs. Not too headbanging, not too sweet, nothing exotic. Just songs, with a normal structure, somewhat interesting lyrics, and catchy tunes. There is nothing wrong with that.
Also sometimes they are funny, and I like the way they sing. But there you immediately get into matters of personal preference. There are people who are famous for being great singers who make me want to gouge out my own eardrums. There is no accounting for taste.
-
I find BNL extremely clever, and the counterpoint between the two lead singers (yes, I guess one of them quit the band) works really well for me. They're talented musicians, as well. I kind of feel the same way about them as I do about Ben Folds. Still, different strokes. I mean, I hate CCR and lots of people like them.
-
AFAIC, BNL is barely a step above hootie and the blowgiraffe or matchbox 20.
-
Okay so I am listening to Barenaked Ladies because I always want to give them a benefit of the doubt. Maybe I was just in the wrong headspace of heard the wrong song. I have a selection of BNL songs from various soundtrack albums and mixdisc, but I also, to my surprise, have a BNL album. Huh, how did that get in there? It's BNL Are Me. Is that one of their good ones?
-
AFAIC, BNL is barely a step above hootie and the blowgiraffe or matchbox 20.
I confused them with the Wallflowers more than once.
-
AFAIC, BNL is barely a step above hootie and the blowgiraffe or matchbox 20.
I confused them with the Wallflowers more than once.
i read a magazine article referring all those bands as "dad rock". i dont understand what he meant...
-
I THINK "dad rock" means... like... contemporary rock that is attempting to sound like mediocre classic rock to the point where if your Baby Boomer dad heard it, he'd be okay with it.
-
urban dictionary says:
"The term 'dad rock' refers to older music listened to by men who try, without success, to introduce this music to their children and other younger people.
Music can only be counted as 'dad rock' if it is music that has failed to remain popular with younger generations, e.g. Dire Straits, The Yardbirds etc., whereas bands of the same era such as Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones would not count as their music transcends the generation gap and is still popular with younger people
While 'dad rock' can be quite personal to each dad, examples of artists include: Dire Straits, The Yardbirds, Cream, King Crimson, Yes"
-
I normally think of Dad Rock as like the easy-listening version of classic rock. Like Kansas and Chicago and Boston and other place-name bands.
-
Boston is easy listening?
-
no, it's the easy-listening version of classic rock.
-
Hmmm. Boston was like Arena Rock + Hi Tech Guitar Engineering. Scholz got a lot of mileage out of the tone he invented. His tunes weren't especially innovative, but I think he was a good and inventive arranger.
-
I'm not saying that they are bad. Just that they are really easy to listen to... inoffensive. They are like that dang Journey song that every kid my age loves and plays at every party and sings along to.
-
I like BNL and Dire Straits.
Now if you'll excuse me I have to go find someone to tell about this hilarious email I read on my internet.
-
I'm not saying that they are bad. Just that they are really easy to listen to... inoffensive.
On the one hand I get this, on the other hand I want to say "Why is it better for something to be hard to listen to and offensive?"
(Not about Boston, I can never really remember who they are. But in general.)
-
some people like abrasive tunes [[shrug]]
-
Somewhere in here was a reference to Fat Bottom Girls being Southern Rock. Doing All Right (http://youtu.be/ymRz9BAZOcY) sounds a bit like the Allman Brothers in parts.
All classic rock has moved into the easy listening category at this point. As Dan says, it's all inoffensive. It's driven Muzak out of business for the music of choice on the elevator and at the supermarket. So it goes.
-
It's driven Muzak out of business for the music of choice on the elevator and at the supermarket. So it goes.
Progress
-
On the one hand I get this, on the other hand I want to say "Why is it better for something to be hard to listen to and offensive?"
(Not about Boston, I can never really remember who they are. But in general.)
I don't understand how many different ways I need to say this before you guys understand what I am saying. I don't care that it is inoffensive. I like plenty of pleasing, easy-to-listen-to music. I am just saying that it is easy to listen to.
Another issue comes in when easy to listen to becomes "bland pap" but I guess you guys are all getting towards retirement home age anyways. (I love you, kidding, kidding)
-
Seems like music could be "easy" to listen to in two different ways. First because it's bland, inoffensive or unchallenging. Second because it's very familiar.
Most classic rock would fall into the second category these days, although there's certainly plenty that falls into both.
-
Seems like music could be "easy" to listen to in two different ways. First because it's bland, inoffensive or unchallenging. Second because it's very familiar.
Most classic rock would fall into the second category these days, although there's certainly plenty that falls into both.
I think that speaks to a point I was trying to make earlier.
-
At a certain point I thought I liked Eminem a lot. That ended pretty fast, but this little part (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOUdG4M5eKM#t=2m36s) of this song freaks me out.
shoobadiiiooobap, and christopher reeves! What a weird rhythm. I wish he would do more of this weirdo stuff instead of like... fucked up homophobic/misogynistic stuff, "I'm deep and clever, listen to me" stuff, etc.
-
new black lips is fuck*ng sick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3_P8brLKFQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ndyV9lsBfQ&feature=related - best song ever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2R12zQSbfk&feature=related
seeing them this week whoo
-
Dang, that is good. I'm still kicking myself that I missed them when they played in my neighborhood about a month ago.
-
I was just listening to my old friend Gloria May singing in Ojibwe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVvBSIYry7s&feature=share). It's a beautiful song, and I sang this with her every night for a month on stage (in a group) almost a decade ago. Gloria calls herself a "cyclops beauty" because only one of her eyes works. It's a pretty weird world when a lady you know lives most of her life really traditionally, in a teepee and the whole deal, is on YouTube singing her heart out. Then again, I know she had a satellite disk hooked up to her teepee, so I guess she's always been a bit post-modern in her take on traditional living. She writes these weird, rambling posts on Facebook that I really enjoy too.
-
I was just listening to my old friend Gloria May singing in Ojibwe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVvBSIYry7s&feature=share).
That melody, it's so familiar. It reminds me of a certain pop song, but I can't put my finger on it. Hold on, it'll come to me.
Is it Seagull (http://youtu.be/uWwGV0sdOr0)? Hmm... No
-
new black lips is fuck*ng sick
seeing them this week whoo
Saw them last night, fuck*ng great. New album is so good. So good. Opening band sucked though.
-
At least their name is coolishly offensive?
Also, I'm seeing them tonight- I wonder how many bands you and I have seen a day apart- probably a lot. Did they play the drop I hold? I am gonna be yelling for that song so hard.
-
Yeah, it's too bad the name couldn't belong to a better band.
I'm always optimistic if I see Denver in a tour schedule, but you guys definitely get more shows. Cass McCombs is playing there later this summer, but nothing scheduled here yet.
I've only listened to that album like twice (hadn't heard it before you uploaded it) and I'm terrible with song names, and I was more than a little fucked up last night, so I really couldn't tell you. Just listened to it and they may have, but not sure.
-
I saw a shit-ton of local bands this time home: Decliners (again), Minty Rosa, The Food, Muddy River Nightmare Band, and Don't (again). All of them were excellent, and I think I'm going to try to have The Food play at my birthday party. On the other hand, there was a band that was just like all those Irish punk bands that don't sound like the Pogues, and another one that was like . . . . I don't know, one of those bands that is supposed to me so intense that they are scary? They both sucked.
-
For some reason all of the "Irish" stuff just drives me up the wall.
I may talk a harsh game on here, but the whole "we're a band who does a really repetitive "Irish" rhythm and integrates shitty electric guitar in with traditional instruments, and sings about getting wasted and everything has that really forced emotional feeling" thing just drives me nuts more than anything else except maybe lady gaga blaring in my ear at work.
-
Yeah, the irish fakey protest bullshit that's all singing about getting drunk? Yeah, the Pogues, and then we don't need the rest of you idiots. You aren't in the IRA, you went to Boston College and you're an asshole.
-
Which bands exactly are we talking about? I'm not sure I've heard any of them (thankfully). But I must say, if those bands suck, is it because they are playing Irish music or because they would suck no matter what they were playing?
-
I was very confused the first time I heard the actual music of the Pogues after years of hearing people talk about them. I didn't quite understand how they're different from the Irish groups that I heard in my long ago folkie days, as far as actual music as opposed to, like, the company they kept or the attitude they liked to project. But I figured that mentioning this would spoil the Pogues for other people, so I kept quiet.
-
Which bands exactly are we talking about?
Flogging Molly? Carbon Leaf?
-
The first band that comes to mind for me is Dropkick Murphys. It occurs to me that I've sort of over-indulged in the "your favorite band sucks" here, so I apologize for that. That band really annoys me for some reason, though - and there are others, but I'll leave it there. (They do seem like they are actually good people, though.)
-
all of these bands.
there is a similar thread with bands like Uncle Tupelo (http://Uncle Tupelo). Let's take this folk/country music we like, and then put pop-punk guitar over it! We'll sing songs only about really stereotypical topics of that genre!
-
Which bands exactly are we talking about? I'm not sure I've heard any of them (thankfully). But I must say, if those bands suck, is it because they are playing Irish music or because they would suck no matter what they were playing?
dropkick murphys
flogging molly
-
there is a similar thread with bands like Uncle Tupelo (http://Uncle Tupelo). Let's take this folk/country music we like, and then put pop-punk guitar over it! We'll sing songs only about really stereotypical topics of that genre!
I'm assuming Uncle Tupelo are the Pogues of that genre.
I was very confused the first time I heard the actual music of the Pogues after years of hearing people talk about them. I didn't quite understand how they're different from the Irish groups that I heard in my long ago folkie days, as far as actual music as opposed to, like, the company they kept or the attitude they liked to project. But I figured that mentioning this would spoil the Pogues for other people, so I kept quiet.
That was my reaction as well.
-
I'm assuming Uncle Tupelo are the Pogues of that genre.
-
I agree re: Dropkick Murphys and how The Pogues are better than everyone else who ever tried to do a thing. But Flogging Molly aren't that bad, are they?
Murphys used to be okay in small doses, but they are definitely harder to take in the era of Patriots/Red Sox/Bruins.
Pretty sure they're good people (http://www.dropkickmurphys.com/discography/releases/farrarsingle.html), though.
-
the best things about the dropkick murphys, AFAIC:
-their name is badass
-they did a cover of "who is who" by the adolescents(here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1twTK1KtNcw)) that is at least not terrible, if it isnt full-on good.
-
The best thing about dropkick murphys is that they do good things - volunteering for the cause, taking care of the downtrodden, etc. The worst thing is that when they aren't helping out, they're making music.
-
Buddy Holly covers album, streamed (http://soundcloud.com/concordmusicgroup/sets/buddy-holly-rave-on/s-F4N7i). No, no - don't shy away. There's some good shit there.
Sadly, I went to look up "It's So Easy" on the wiki to see who all had covered it, and the default result is the GnR song, not the Buddy Holly song. For that you have to go to the disambiguation page. Do not like.
-
I listened to Lou Reed's Peggy Sue the other day and thought it was terrible. I stopped there. I'll give the rest of it a shot.
Buddy Holly was one of my first musical obsessions as a young boy, so basically you don't fuck with Buddy Holly.
-
I listened to Lou Reed's Peggy Sue the other day and thought it was terrible. I stopped there.
This is what it looks like when I do that. Sorry, Lou.
-
I'm listening to this (http://youtu.be/wRdfpdww76Y).
-
I haven't started it yet, but soon I will be listening to this podcast on Split Enz (http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/documentaries/enzology/), and I am pretty well excited about it I can tell you.
-
I saw the Split Enz back around 1980 or so.
-
I saw the Split Enz back around 1980 or so.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
-
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Is it better or worse for you that I wasn't really that into them and don't remember much about the show.
-
Is it better or worse for you that I wasn't really that into them and don't remember much about the show.
It's about as good as my other friend who saw the Clash around London Calling/Sandanista! because someone he was in school with wanted to go, and he just stood in the back against the wall thinking "these fuckers aren't Kraftwerk at all".
In other words, I can't measure it, but I can't even be happy for you.
-
In other words, I can't measure it, but I can't even be happy for you.
Go with pity then.
-
Go with pity then.
I hope you've come to your sense since.
-
I hope you've come to your sense since.
Well no, not really. I only know that one song that was a big hit back in the day.
-
Well no, not really. I only know that one song that was a big hit back in the day.
Presumably I Got You (http://youtu.be/xv6oOxn1axw) (video features a 12-year-old Neil Finn).
-
But hey, thanks for giving me my next blog post (Here's "I See Red" (http://youtu.be/vKj4upY1VYI), another fantastic video).
-
Thank you.
-
timorous me(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYhY8eXy-0)-ted leo and the pharmacists
the breakdowns where they play the irish wake bits are my favorite parts
-
Big Star.
Yes.
new black lips is fuck*ng sick
Been listening to this all morning. Now that it's noon It's time to move on...
I listened to Lou Reed's Peggy Sue the other day and thought it was terrible. I stopped there. I'll give the rest of it a shot.
Buddy Holly was one of my first musical obsessions as a young boy, so basically you don't fuck with Buddy Holly.
to Buddy Holly. But the real thing. Skipped through some tracks of the tribute at a record store the other day and it just made me sad and angry. I think there are couple that kind of worked but I just can't stand it. I also hate covers of Built to Spill songs.
So I first saw Built to Spill 16 years ago this summer, and I had just turned 16 the month before, so that's pretty significant, right? Also, the exact date is on a Friday, so I'm thinking I need to do something. Like maybe smoke a bunch of weed and listen to Ultimate Alternative Wavers. Alone, to make it really like High School.
-
I also hate covers of Built to Spill songs.
I... discovered Built to Spill through Ben Folds' cover of "Twin Falls".
/Eeyore voice "I guess I'm laaaaaaaaaame"
-
Heavy rotation: Army Navy, Wye Oak, The Joy Formidable, Foster the People, fun.
-
I... discovered Built to Spill through Ben Folds' cover of "Twin Falls".
/Eeyore voice "I guess I'm laaaaaaaaaame"
Covers are fine, I'd just rather hear Doug do it.
-
Marshal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e71N7EhaGA)l Tucker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3kPMJR428c&feature=related) Band. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KESK7_GFI4k&feature=related)
Hell yeah, love that Marshall Tucker jam. Southern rock at it's finest. I been down around Houston Texas where the sun shines most of the time (http://youtu.be/Li-7vCagtxw).
-
I been down around Houston Texas where the sun shines most of the time (http://youtu.be/Li-7vCagtxw)
Oh wait this one (http://youtu.be/X0L5LD7GZxc) is even better.
-
I have a version of this song by Bonnie Prince Billy. It's a pretty cool song.
This was in reference to The Calvary Cross. Do you happen to have a live recording, or is it the one from his album with Tortoise, The Brave and the Bold? I love really like Tortoise, and I really love Will Oldham, but this album didn't really do it for me. It's one of the better songs from the album I think, but I was thinking that a Bonnie Prince Billy sans Tortoise cover might kick fuck*ng ass.
-
Yeah, it's the BPB/Tortoise version.
-
There's something about this chorus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCyGvGEtOwc&feature=player_detailpage#t=157s) that fuck*ng kills me.
Dumb video though. Plus that mean girl is way too old to be in high school.
-
Johnny Kidd and the Pirates
-
I also hate covers of Built to Spill songs.
Did you ever hear that CD of new wave versions of BtS songs done by . . . I dunno, maybe the bassist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Electronic_Anthology_Project) (went back and checked wiki - turns out I remembered rightly)? I've only listened to it a couple times.
(If you're interested, I can hook you up.)
-
Yes, I have that. Not much of anything Doug Martsch related manages to get by me. I think it's pretty fun.
-
A'ight. I caught that at the Built to Spill/Halo Benders show.
-
bound for the floor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oM8QXdp8wU)-local h
this worm from my teenage years has been in my ear for a few days now.
-
I saw Local H back in oh 92, 93 maybe. They opened for STP and they were terrible. Wikipedia says they are known for their great shows. They must have been going through a rough patch when I saw them.
I do remember that they didn't have a bass player and it appears that's their modus operandi despite the fact there is clearly a bass on that song.
-
I saw Local H back in oh 92, 93 maybe. They opened for STP and they were terrible. Wikipedia says they are known for their great shows. They must have been going through a rough patch when I saw them.
I do remember that they didn't have a bass player and it appears that's their modus operandi despite the fact there is clearly a bass on that song.
i read somewhere that the singer/guitarist also played bass in the studio. i dont know how they would accomplish that effect live with just a two-piece and no bass, unless he down tunes his shit hardcore like jack white.
-
i dont know how they would accomplish that effect live with just a two-piece
I think they just said fuck it.
-
i read somewhere that the singer/guitarist also played bass in the studio. i dont know how they would accomplish that effect live with just a two-piece and no bass, unless he down tunes his shit hardcore like jack white.
I thought he had extra bass pick-ups on his guitar. I've never seen that live, so I don't know if that's actually effective.
-
sweet disposition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C8e7nNLZNs)-temper trap
i cant decide if i like it or not.
-
temper trap
Is that name a play on The Tender Trap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tender_Trap_%28film%29)? If so, I don't know, it's just... Uhh... sMets, what am I trying to say here?
I'll tell you what, that band sure has finely tuned their U2 chops for that particular song.
-
Or Time Trap (http://youtu.be/l2nRdIrM2Oo)?
Did I ever mention how cool it is to have a really good friend who has close ties to this band but doesn't like them? Because it's not cool at all.
-
Time Trap (http://youtu.be/l2nRdIrM2Oo)
I really dig that song, it cooks. It came to me via a mix disc that Bozack sent many years ago. But everything else I've heard from them has left me cold. This is probably Youtube's fault. Can you make a recommendation on some good gateway BtS songs?
-
I love Broken Chairs. That might be my favorite.
-
I love Broken Chairs. That might be my favorite.
Fuck yeah, that rocks. Thanks!
-
sweet disposition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C8e7nNLZNs)-temper trap
i cant decide if i like it or not.
You do. You do like it. This is a good song.
I wish the rest of the album was as good, though.
-
Got the new Tom Waits on amazon. It kicks ass.
-
I'll be wanting the physical artifact of the new Tom Waits release.
Because I am desperately old.
-
Because I am desperately old.
youre only as old as you act.
-
He is desperately old.
-
I'll be wanting the physical artifact of the new Tom Waits release.
Because I am desperately old.
This is just one song and is $0.99. I doubt it will get a physical release.
When his new album is released, I will buy the vinyl and the CD. Because I'm old and desperately obsessive.
-
I've been listening to London Town by Wings. I know it's not cool to love Cheezy Paul McCartney, but it's just who I am. Girlfriend (http://youtu.be/zmHTIhYdTH8) is hard wired into my brain. It's brain tape from small times as Roast Beef might say. I don't know if it's the melody or the lyrics or the harmony or what. Girlfriend, I'm gonna tell your boyfriend, yeah, tell him exactly what you're doing.
I never really got into punk rock when I was a kid. I listened to the Ramones when they first came out and thought they were interesting, but pretty limited. And I was totally thrilled by the stories I was reading about the Sex Pistols in Rolling Stone and Creem magazine, but when it came to their actual music, to me it was unsustainable garbage. And I understand that Punk was supposed to be a wake up call for rock and roll that had become overblown and self indulgent. And to a certain limited extent I agree with that.
But if I had to choose between Punk Rock and With a Little Luck (http://youtu.be/ne5bKbW4rxg), well you know where I stand on that.
-
I've been listening to London Town by Wings.
Morse Moose And The Grey Goose is awesome.
-
Morse Moose And The Grey Goose is awesome.
Thank you, I feel validated.
-
I am listening to Perrey and Kingsley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perrey_and_Kingsley). Things like this (http://youtu.be/-y73Qe0aSgg) and this (http://youtu.be/ZoeA2eVpuVo).
-
Color me disappointed that it wasn't this Girlfriend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEeutWolKMw)song you were confessing as a guilty pleasure. Although this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrzvOEcizRo) wouldn't have surprised me.
Girlfriend (http://youtu.be/zmHTIhYdTH8) is hard wired into my brain. It's brain tape from small times as Roast Beef might say. I don't know if it's the melody or the lyrics or the harmony or what.
-
Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend" is the Girlfriend I would've assumed too.
It's just such a bitchin' video.
-
I'm sure y'all are joking about those other lesser girlfriend songs, but I have to say, Paul McCartney is no guilty pleasure. In my opinion he's the greatest songwriter of the 20th century. I'll take McCartney's Girlfriend over those others any ol' day.
-
I'm sure y'all are joking about those other lesser girlfriend songs, but I have to say, Paul McCartney is no guilty pleasure. In my opinion he's the greatest songwriter of the 20th century. I'll take McCartney's Girlfriend over those others any ol' day.
There's a probably anecdotal story about an interviewer asking Sir Paul what it was like to be Rock's greatest songwriter (or some other inane question like that) and he supposedly said "ask Neil Finn". I'm down with Paul, though. He's a'ight.
-
Yeah but Matthew Sweet's video had Japanese animation back when it was still kind of a freaky alien thing instead of just something you get into because you're in denial that you're a furry.
Which is fuckin' awesome.
There's no doubt that Macca's actual SONG is better.
-
What is with you people? I was totally ready to go to the mat for McCartney. Ha ha...
-
I don't really like him beyond the Beatles era other than Band on the Run, that song is cool. But like, what, are we going to argue about his compositional style?
-
You take that back.
-
I don't really like him beyond the Beatles era other than Band on the Run, that song is cool. But like, what, are we going to argue about his compositional style?
Did everyone see the White House deal where Dave Grohl played that song (http://youtu.be/X_uyuuJVlw4)? So sweet.
-
Did everyone see the White House deal where Dave Grohl played that song (http://youtu.be/X_uyuuJVlw4)? So sweet.
fuck yes! i saw that and it was VERY sweet.
i practically had a crush on dave grohl when i was in my late teens and early 20s.
-
I have it on the DVR. I like McCartney but jesus they picked some fucked songs to cover. We Can Work It Out (http://youtu.be/uznnHd5thXE) and Blackbird (http://youtu.be/4LV2s2oX24M) were good, though. I think the Stevie White House thing was better.
-
My favorite part of that was Jack White's Mother Natures Son/That Would be Something.
-
Today I am streaming Richard Cheese's new release (http://vibedeck.com//richardcheese).
Also, I liked the Jack White deal, but . . . well, it doesn't surprise me that he would choose that song to play at all, but I wish he had played something he could have cut loose on. I guess I should be content - I've seen him live like six times or something, and he's ripped it up plenty. Maybe I'm just greedy. I did really like Grohl shredding at the White House and talking about when he was growing up in DC and being in shitty little clubs. That was fun.
-
All I want to listen to is this song over and over and over. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ykpwr8K3M4)
Every once in a while I throw in this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgewcFh-cg) for good measure.
The moment when the beat comes in after all of that sax solo just makes me want to die. You need some real bass capabilities to get the full effect, my computer speakers don't cut it.
I really need someone who knows from music theory to teach me about how rhythm works. I can't tell a quarter note from an eighth note, I can't tell when something is in 3/4, and don't even ask me about polyrhythms. I can imitate the rhythm of a song and strum it on my guitar, but that is as far as it goes. When I try to write it down, I end up thinking everything is the same. Especially if it is syncopated at all.
No one is responding to my craigslist postings where I basically say "I want to start Creedence Krautrock Revival." Damn. Just be in a band where we jam weirdly on Creedence songs. You can't tell me you don't want to just endlessly play this rhythm riff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ6mDNCgW48).
Where the "krautrock" element is my dumb-ass bad at guitar version. I just want to play one riff over and over again and then play a stupid noisy solo over it.
So I guess what I'm saying is, I have transitioned from "songs should be 2:00 long" to "songs should be 15:00 long, but just repeat one or two 10 second riffs for the whole duration."
-
Today I am streaming Richard Cheese's new release (http://vibedeck.com//richardcheese).
richard cheese is hella funny and rad.
-
richard cheese is hella funny and rad.
We saw him in Vegas new year's eve a few years ago. It was awesome. Then we saw him in Portland, and it was pretty good. He can be pretty rude live, in a fun way.
-
We saw him in Vegas new year's eve a few years ago. It was awesome. Then we saw him in Portland, and it was pretty good. He can be pretty rude live, in a fun way.
thats why i dig him. he is legitimately talented AND he helps me indulge the part of my sense of humor thats still in middle school.
-
I can't tell when something is in 3/4
If you feel like waltzing when you hear it then it is in 3/4. That is the extent of my musical knowledge.
-
So I guess what I'm saying is, I have transitioned from "songs should be 2:00 long" to "songs should be 15:00 long, but just repeat one or two 10 second riffs for the whole duration."
When you transition to songs should be whatever length makes the most sense for that particular song we'll have something to talk about.
Thanks for the Creedence and the Fela Kuti. That was a hell of a jam.
I can't tell when something is in 3/4
In a time signature the top number is the number of beats per measure and the second number tells the length of the beat. a 4 represents a quarter note. So your standard 4/4 time is four beats per measure and a quarter note is one beat. This is the most common time signature, and probably 99.9 percent of rock and roll. I can't even think off the top of my head of a rock song in 3/4 time. I'll get back to you.
-
In a time signature the top number is the number of beats per measure and the second number tells the length of the beat. a 4 represents a quarter note. So your standard 4/4 time is four beats per measure and a quarter note is one beat. This is the most common time signature, and probably 99.9 percent of rock and roll. I can't even think off the top of my head of a rock song in 3/4 time. I'll get back to you.
I thought Baby's In Black (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby%27s_in_Black) was in 3/4, but it turns out it only comes close, if Wikipedia is to be believed. That only matters if you count it as a rock song in the first place.
Then I googled "3/4 rock songs" and came across this list (http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?action=showall&boardid=41&threadid=29343#msg51), some of which are actually 3/4 rock songs! Also, one of the entries is by Nice Pete.
-
Manic Depression is a terrific example.
-
yes, these are good examples. I guess I didn't explain my question well. I understand what it means when someone says "this song is in 3/4." I could maybe figure out how to write something in 3/4 or 5/4 or whatever. What I can't do is hear a song and realize that it is in a particular time signature. Unless it does the ooom-pah-pah 3/4 thing. It probably boils down to ear-training. Right now I can convince myself that anything is a quarter note.
I think this is like Modes, where I want it to be a lot more complicated than it is. "wait, so a mode is all the same notes as a major scale, in the same order? So how is it any different!? You can play the same chords and melodies with both!" The issue is emphasis. You could write a 3/4 song out in 4/4 and the phrases would just end weird places in the measure, right?
-
I don't think so, but I'm sure you know a lot more about the mechanics of music than I do. It might be just a thing that a person "gets", though - because it is really obvious to me that Manic Depression is in 3/4 time. It sounds like a waltz. You could waltz to it (and that should happen in a movie or at least in a YouTube video).
-
You could write a 3/4 song out in 4/4 and the phrases would just end weird places in the measure, right?
I don't think it's that simple, but I can't express why exactly because I know very little about music theory. But maybe listening to the demo version of Like A Rolling Stone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqpBejLqO74), which is in 3/4 time, will help.
-
See, I knew Manic Depression was 3/4, and when I took guitar lessons years (almost decades now, yikes) ago we went over how to identify it. Manic Depression was the example my instructor used. But looking at that list you linked to earlier, I'm either terrible at picking 3/4 songs out or don't care enough to bother. Probably a bit of both. I love that demo of Like a Rolling Stone, but never picked up on the time signature until just now.
It's hard to describe just writing it out, unless of course one can explain and understand music theory, but my instructor just played Manic Depression and had me count 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 etc., and in my brain it clicked. It sounded right. If I tried the standard signature and counted 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4... it didn't click, sounded way off. And the point was you should be able to pick any song and do the same thing to figure it out. Or maybe I am completely wrong.
-
my instructor just played Manic Depression and had me count 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 etc., and in my brain it clicked.
That's how it worked for me, but I didn't know most of the songs on the list.
-
I have listened to Rain Dogs scores of times, and never made the connection between 3/4 and Diamonds & Gold (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwhxjP63ysk). He even does that count I mentioned earlier in the beginning. Maybe this helps?
That's how it worked for me, but I didn't know most of the songs on the list.
Every time I hear Manic Depression, I'll do the count thing in my head. Every single time. Still a great song though.
-
Not only is it in 3/4 time, but it's a series of 7 measure couplets rather than the standard 4 or 8.
-
the most creative users of time signature changes in my collection are The Mars Volta (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOx38GLyYRY), The Dillinger Escape Plan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsznscrk0o4), and Mr. Bungle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8XYWZMHqpU)
-
This Broken Social Scene song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uev2J_cBHjQ) (which is my #1 all-time track on last.fm) is called "7/4" for a reason.
-
Then there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YPaPSyU-Vc
Also partially 7/4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLZBhlTXHuo
-
The intro to A Farewell to Kings alternates between 7/4 and 4/4 before settling into 4/4 for the body of the song.
And in Manic Depression those 3/4 measures are strung together in couplets of 7. It could be written as 7/4.
The main body of I Want You (She's So Heavy) is a really weird time signature and the second half is 5/4.
-
Then there's Primus' "Eleven," (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asAa1_N_rso) which I have a hard time seriously calling 11/4 time. More like 3/4 with two extra beats stuck in every three bars.
-
I think I remember that some Tool songs have weird time signatures, but I haven't listened to them in a long time.
-
Toads of the Short Forest. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFSlTudo4J8)
Jump to two minutes in if you don't want to listen to the whole thing.
-
yeah, when I try to count along to songs to figure out what time signature they are in, my ADD brain starts paying attention to a weird drum fill or something and i get confused.
I participated in some psych experiments in college, and what I took away from them was that I have an unbelievably small working memory.
I love this song in 5/4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yEgcb167k4) a whole lot. The wimpy vocals are a thing I have less tolerance for these days, but those drums! All of the false climaxes before the real climax!
-
Toads of the Short Forest. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFSlTudo4J8)
I bought this album when I was about 14 based entirely on the name and cover art. This was probably not long after seeing Zappa kick ass on SNL. I am the Slime from the video... And I had almost certainly heard don't eat the yellow snow by this point. Loved it.
So I put the record on with great anticipation and... what the fuck is this bullshit?
-
I love this song in 5/4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yEgcb167k4) a whole lot. The wimpy vocals are a thing I have less tolerance for these days, but those drums! All of the false climaxes before the real climax!
I love this song so much. But I think it's 4/4? I believe Breadcrumb Trail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29MBGwzEhMc) is 7/4, and Nosferatu Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoU9ymXf5ls) is 5/4. I'm having trouble with Good Morning, Captain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoH5MPIgM7c). I want to say 4/4 but I feel like I'm missing something.
It's entirely possible I'm wrong on all counts.
Edit: I did that unintentionally.
-
Still earns you a can.
-
I bought this album when I was about 14 based entirely on the name and cover art. This was probably not long after seeing Zappa kick ass on SNL. I am the Slime from the video... And I had almost certainly heard don't eat the yellow snow by this point. Loved it.
So I put the record on with great anticipation and... what the fuck is this bullshit?
Yeah, that's still a pretty inaccessable album to me.
-
ok, so, the start of this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ9r6Zb3GgU) is in 3/4? Or is it 4/4 with a weird rest at the end? The more I listen, the more I think it's the second.
The chorus part is definitely in 4/4 with a weird pause.
(the rest of this album was super boring, if I remember correctly.)
I swear I read somewhere that that Slint song was 5/4, but now the entry on wikipedia is gone. Hmm. Well, anyway, cool song.
-
OK guys, help me figure out who I am thinking of. I heard this great interview on NPR with a guy who was buddies with The Eagles and Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt back in the day in LA. He talked about living in the apartment above Jackson Browne and wanting to murder him for playing the same songs over and over. He had written several songs I recognized from my dad's record collection, and he just released a new CD of him playing his own versions of all of these songs he wrote that other bands made famous. He had one big hit in the early 70s, it was something about empty love or jealous love.
Anyway, it was pretty and I wanted to pass it on to my dad.
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcJDI7a_1lk) is, on the one hand, so good. On the other hand, it has so many stylistic things that I hate. Hmm.
Lately I am realizing that my musical tastes are a lot more similar to my dad's than I realize. I definitely get my love for countryish vocal harmonies from him.
Please punch me if I start talking about how great James Taylor is.
-
OK guys, help me figure out who I am thinking of.
JD Souther?
Lately I am realizing that my musical tastes are a lot more similar to my dad's than I realize. I definitely get my love for countryish vocal harmonies from him.
Please punch me if I start talking about how great James Taylor is.
Me too. Both on having similar tastes and the country vocal harmonies things.
But I can't stand James Taylor or the Eagles for some reason.
-
Yes! Awesome.
Man, the more I look into this, the Eagles songs that I find strangely appealing are all Jackson Browne songs. Cool.
-
Yeah, JD Souther. Here's the interview: http://www.npr.org/2011/08/30/140060852/j-d-souther-a-natural-history-of-songwriting
Pretty rad, thanks for the tip.
-
Man, the more I look into this, the Eagles songs that I find strangely appealing are all Jackson Browne songs. Cool.
Exactly.
There are two songs by the Eagles not written by someone else that I love: Desperado and Tequila Sunrise.
I can't find the video, but this version of Desperado from In America fuck*ng kills me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwAnqkX0wtE
Also this of course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7CKDnKWhJU
-
Best thing about the Eagles for me is Joe Walsh.
-
JD Sou... Oh, you've already been told.
The only thing I don't like about the Eagles is how overplayed they are. It's over 30 years since they've put out an album and they are still out there flogging that dead hoss.
But I really like their music. On this, me and the Dude disagree.
-
yeah, I am open to the possibility that my hatred for this kind of music is based on my dad playing these albums loudly in our house every weekend as far back as I can remember. And telling me, this is GREAT music, this is what good music sounds like. Sure, you like that Ramones, but listen to THIS.
-
yeah, I am open to the possibility that my hatred for this kind of music is based on my dad playing these albums loudly in our house every weekend as far back as I can remember. And telling me, this is GREAT music, this is what good music sounds like. Sure, you like that Ramones, but listen to THIS.
Well, in his defense, he might be a little bit defensive. The Eagles and Ramones were contemporaries and the Ramones were part of that movement that was all about being a wake up call to a bloated rock and roll scene. I guess The Eagles were probably one of the biggest targets of that rhetoric.
-
That was not really an accurate portrayal of my dad. I just used the Ramones as an example, I don't know if he ever said that exact thing. But he teases me about listening to things he has never heard of.
-
My dad and Inev's dad probably like a lot of the same stuff. Except the Eagles, I guess.
Ghost - Here Comes the Sun (http://youtu.be/r8oFlXnnwKI)
-
Wardruna - Hagall (http://youtu.be/bn1ct1xomoY)
Droney, pagany. I like it.
-
Right this second, Sly and the Fuckin' Family Stone.
-
me and mia(live studio acoustic) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWutgbqLel8)-ted leo
"do you beleive in something beautiful? get up and be it."
-
The upcoming Girls album is streaming here: http://hypem.com/artist/GIRLS
I like it quite a bit. I love the last track. There's this awesome organ bit near the end.
-
syke! life is awesome! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Dypaw46fA)-bomb the music industry
[linky fix]
-
Please punch me if I start talking about how great James Taylor is.
Belatedly: I will do this for you.
-
Oingo Boingo Dark at the End of the Tunnel. How did I not already have this album? And why couldn't Danny Elfman stay 35 years old forever? I guess it's because he sold his soul to the devil for the ability to write magically catchy tunes instead of for eternal youth.
-
Right this second, Sly and the Fuckin' Family Stone.
Sly is now living in a van (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/the_rise_and_fall_of_sly_stone_qijyKoYzmAqer1PA0YogSJ).
-
So much Dead Kennedy's. It's been a while since I tried to listen to them. I didn't get it before but man, those surf/spaghetti elements. Man.
-
Ryan Adams has a new album (http://www.npr.org/2011/09/25/140640429/first-listen-ryan-adams-ashes-and-fire) (streaming at NPR).
-
I guess everything I post on here is kind of the same, but lately I am digging Mikal Cronin's new album (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwPg9bOkFsY). I really like the opening track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR9I9GLuCLM&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL9B5AF6180B83AA69) and a few others.
Ty Segall took Thee Oh Sees and added a lot more hooks and less weird jamming. Mikal Cronin is like Ty with... kind of generic indie-ish singing and melodies. I like it, but later on in the album it gets boring.
Lately all of my friends are starting bands. Trying to find people to play with me. Posted a Craiglist Ad (CREEDENCE KRAUTROCK REVIVAL) that got a lot of good responses, but having the confidence to actually meet up with these people and play is rough. Also, finding someplace where we can play.
I meant for the gimmicky title to get people's attention and kind of say "hey we like a variety of music and want to just kind of screw around and see what happens." Instead, I am getting responses from people who want to start a band where we play Creedence covers in the style of Can.
One of my roommates was a business student, and he really wants to start a business. He is talking a lot about how we need to start a record label, and is treating this like a real project that we should work on. I think it is difficult to start a record label unless there are bands that we know/good bands in the city in general. There are plenty of bands I enjoy seeing, but honestly, not any that I would press on a record and put my seal of approval on.
Maybe we need to be like Gandhi says, and be the band we want to see in the world.
-
I didn't get it before but man, those surf/spaghetti elements.
I have no idea what this means, and I am not going to go listen to them, because the reality can only be a disappointment.
-
Maybe we need to be like Gandhi says, and be the band we want to see in the world.
You are pretty awesome for this. Can.
-
live mr bungle cover cover of "superstition" by stevie wonder that magically turns into a cover of "rapture" by blondie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHopHCLMejM&NR=1)
-
Eno - The Lion Sleeps Tonight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Bzm36N-Fk).
So good.
-
live mr bungle cover cover of "superstition" by stevie wonder that magically turns into a cover of "rapture" by blondie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHopHCLMejM&NR=1)
There are a fuckload of crazy covers in there by Mr. Bungle. If I was cooler, I'd be Mike Patton and cover shit left and right. That guy is a stone freak, but I think he is doing music the right way.
-
Got the new Neon Indian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Q_JwOqko4) album on repeat a bit lately.
I wanted to link 'Arcade Blues' up there, but they don't have it on youtube.
-
Been hearing good things about them Doc. I like that.
-
If you like that track I'd comfortably recommend it. I went through a phase of listening to a lot of chip-tunes earlier this year but found them for the most part too rough and 8bit-ish, this rubs the same itch but in a more mellow way.
-
I saw Neon Indian at this thing that I frequently want to mention, if only because it was the height of any hipster cred I can claim--- free secret show in Brooklyn that I got on the guest list for. Neon Indian, Designer Drugs, Almighty Defenders (the only performers I actually cared about seeing), some other band I can't even remember. Open bar, that was the important thing. And me and my friend convinced these drunk girls we were in a band.
I think Neon Indian is the kind of thing that is not good live, because it's just a guy on a stage tweaking knobs.
A girl I know is in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek55T19hxmQ)! The coolest record promoter is clearly the one who openly tells you she hates being a record promoter, and quits to go to Anthropology grad school. Too bad she is in a video for his new, boring album.
-
I think Neon Indian is the kind of thing that is not good live, because it's just a guy on a stage tweaking knobs.
I felt the same way about the hip hop acts at this festival I was at a couple of weekends ago. None of the hip hop dudes had bands, just a dj so It was just a couple of dudes prowling the stage barking into a mic. I want to see people playing instruments.
-
beef balogna (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO5KoBHto80)-fear
-
So I just heard Radiohead for the first time, on Colbert. This is something I have somehow managed to avoid, and apparently just as well. From the evidence of this one song, they are the worst kind of These Kids Today Pretending It's The Sixties band, which is the type that is trying to sound like the late Beatles. Been there, done that, didn't like it that much the first time around.
-
OMG they were doing a whole HOUR of this show with Radiohead. I tried to listen to their second song for the sake of cultural education but it was unbearable.
-
This is a thing that is really interesting to me. Sometimes people describe bands in ways that make no sense to me. It is definitely something about what I pay attention to. I would describe radiohead as mostly annoying "noise" guitar with dumb whining over it. But you hear the Beatles. Maybe this new stuff is so different.
-
The second song definitely started out with annoying guitar and then vocals so annoying that they made me leap for the remote control, so perhaps that one was more Traditional Radiohead.
-
holy crap, I totally hear it.
I am always blown away by this. I don't know if I ever would have thought Radiohead sounded at all like the Beatles if someone hadn't said this to me.
The one example of this that I will never understand is people who say Nirvana "just sounds like the pixies." Friends of mine who are not otherwise idiots say this constantly. What are the defining elements of the Pixies' sound?
To me:
1. weird rhythms
2. weird surf lead
3. acoustic rhythm guitar
4. singing in Spanish
5. lady backing vocals
6. the loud/quiet/loud thing
Of those 6, only one of them has anything to do with Nirvana. And it is a thing that tons of other bands do.
-
I'm with you on the whining, but never thought of Radiohead as a noise guitar band.
Not sure if I get the Beatles thing either though.
-
6. the loud/quiet/loud thing
Of those 6, only one of them has anything to do with Nirvana. And it is a thing that tons of other bands do.
it's the one of the six that they made revelatory, if i can get away with saying that. and i'm funk as druck so i hope i can. loud/quiet/loud existed before nirvana but it wasn't a thing, kurt made it a thing, and a million bands followed
-
I think the Nirvana/Pixies thing partly comes from Smells Like Teen Spirit kinda sounding like U-Mass, which I've heard a lot before from lots of people but would have to be coincidental. I think Kurt also admitted that songs like Debaser were a huge influence on Nevermind and, though I might be making this up, that he wanted Albini to produce (sorry, engineer) In Utero because of his work on Surfer Rosa. You're right that the two bands are mostly different but where they are similar, it's pretty striking. And again, I think Kurt encouraged the comparison.
-
it's the one of the six that they made revelatory, if i can get away with saying that. and i'm funk as druck so i hope i can. loud/quiet/loud existed before nirvana but it wasn't a thing, kurt made it a thing, and a million bands followed
I think Inev is saying that loud/quiet/loud is the only thing that Nirvana had in common with the Pixies. There's probably little doubt that Nirvana is the band that made it a thing, but why would that mean that they sound just like the Pixies.
-
ah, I don't see any similarity most of the time.
Except: Smells Like Teen Spirit is pretty similar to Debaser. Definitely.
The song by another band that reminds me the most of Pixies is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-qcy0-7ngw).
-
The song by another band that reminds me the most of Pixies is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-qcy0-7ngw).
That's an interesting take on things.
-
Yeah, I kinda hear it. When I first clicked the link and heard the song in my head, I thought you were fuck*ng crazy. But listening to it a lot of the guitar is similar. And of course the Spanish singing and they also mention Andalusia.
-
I've always thought that Radiohead had a strong affinity towards the Beatles. They have a couple of songs that I think are directly influenced by the Beatles. Karma Police is similar both sonically and thematically to Sexy Sadie.
-
Ok, I've watched the whole program. Wow, that was awesome. So good.
-
When I was falling asleep I had "Across the Universe" stuck in my head, and I hadn't listened to any music since I turned off that program.
-
Thanks Wombat for bringing that program to my attention.
-
New Tom Waits. Word.
-
rockin canucks!
dirty town (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX5WUT6xE00)-mother mother
-
dirty town (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX5WUT6xE00)-mother mother
Quite good.
-
A friend of mine, a young guy, maybe 20 years old posted a pic on Facebook earlier this evening of his latest vinyl purchase of A Night at the Opera. This has kinda sent me into a Queen listening binge that has yet to end.
Oh my god how could I have forgotten how awesome is The Prophet's Song (http://youtu.be/4xmsXqgHHEI)!
-
Fuckin' A Queen.
-
Fuckin' A Queen.
The importance of punctuation. Did you mean "Fuckin' A, Queen!" Or does this post belong in the "Today I'm Gonna" thread?
-
It was probably "Fuckin' A! Queen!"
-
Zombie Walk playlist: Oingo Boingo "Grey Matter" and "Dead Man's Party," and... I'm stuck there.
-
The importance of punctuation. Did you mean "Fuckin' A, Queen!" Or does this post belong in the "Today I'm Gonna" thread?
Or dirtiest dudes, but as usual Paul has it. I was a little punchy last night. Night shift is killing me.
-
Zombie Walk playlist: Oingo Boingo "Grey Matter" and "Dead Man's Party," and... I'm stuck there.
Thriller.
-
She's Not There (http://youtu.be/f5IRI4oHKNU)?
I'm very sorry.
-
This (http://thespecialityorchestra.bandcamp.com/album/the-speciality-e-p) is an ep that I have been listening to incessantly since it came out last year. It's from a friend of mine from England, a fantastic photographer who I know via Flickr.
I'm absolutely in love with these four songs. I'd like to get your opinion because I might be losing perspective. I mean, is it really good for amateur musicians/university students or is it, as I am starting to believe, Nick Drake good.
It's very good.
-
Kind of haunting, so far.
Edit: That was solid. Thanks for that, Paul - I am forwarding it.
-
I could listen to and watch this (http://youtu.be/CT_fFwV-xIk) all day.
-
Thriller.
Someone was trying to get people together beforehand to practice dancing to this, but couldn't pull it off. Zombies have no self discipline.
-
This (http://thespecialityorchestra.bandcamp.com/album/the-speciality-e-p) is an ep that I have been listening to incessantly since it came out last year. It's from a friend of mine from England, a fantastic photographer who I know via Flickr.
I'm absolutely in love with these four songs. I'd like to get your opinion because I might be losing perspective. I mean, is it really good for amateur musicians/university students or is it, as I am starting to believe, Nick Drake good.
It's very good.
Pretty good. The vocalist really reminds me of Joni Mitchell a lot, especially back on the Clouds album on Mitchell's song Both Sides Now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcrEqIpi6sg).
The thing listening to simple guitar-based folk music makes me think of is this set of lyrics from Fuel, by Ani Difranco:
People used to make records
As in a record of an event
The event of people playing music in a room
Now everything is cross-marketing
Its about sunglasses and shoes
Or guns and drugs
You choose
Somewhat cynical, I know, but it hits the nail on the head for me in this case. When you can actually hear a musician's fingers sliding on the strings from chord to chord, there's an intimacy there, a feeling of being almost present in the room. That sort of immediacy and authenticity is what draws me to folk music for sure.
-
I'm listening to this quirky little cover (http://youtu.be/xyJMufGx7fo) by Cake. I was poking around in Black Sabbath playlists and found it, while discovering about 600 versions of all of Sabbath's early songs. They sure worked the kinks out of those songs live.
-
I'm listening to this quirky little cover (http://youtu.be/xyJMufGx7fo) by Cake.
They played that one live. It being Cake, it was a sing along.
-
When they played Portland it was at Edgefield and like $70. Couldn't do it.
-
I'm listening to this quirky little cover (http://youtu.be/xyJMufGx7fo) by Cake. I was poking around in Black Sabbath playlists and found it, while discovering about 600 versions of all of Sabbath's early songs. They sure worked the kinks out of those songs live.
I have this on Cake's B-Sides and Rarities album. I could tell from context that it was a cover but had no idea who did the original. So that's for solving that mystery for me.
-
I have this on Cake's B-Sides and Rarities album. I could tell from context that it was a cover but had no idea who did the original. So that's for solving that mystery for me.
Huh, at 43 years old I can still be totally floored.
-
Someone was trying to get people together beforehand to practice dancing to this, but couldn't pull it off. Zombies have no self discipline.
I stumbled upon the huge zombie walk in Denver yesterday and there was about 100 people doing the thriller dance. They had definitely practiced many times. Best costume I saw was someone walking a three-legged dog with the leash tied to a bloody dog leg clenched in his teeth.
At karaoke later that night someone dressed as Simon Pegg from Sean of the Dead (complete with cricket bat) sang Fame but replaced "Fame" with "Brains." It worked surprisingly well. Other songs chosen: Living Dead Girl by Rob Zombie, and Zombie by the Cranberries.
-
Hey, T. How ya doin'?
-
I'm just rockin' in the free world, what more can you expect
-
Also I've been listening to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-zZkbcF4fA
A friend of mine said she likes it because the girl seems to be fetishizing (sp?) inanimate objects. Listening to it in that context I have to agree and it reminded me of this documentary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fF34Uqulmfs#t=186s).
-
Also I've been listening to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-zZkbcF4fA
A friend of mine said she likes it because the girl seems to be fetishizing (sp?) inanimate objects. Listening to it in that context I have to agree and
Wow!
it reminded me of this documentary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fF34Uqulmfs#t=186s).
What
Edit: Whenever I think I pretty much have some stuff figured out, I learn something that makes me feel like I am starting over again.
-
Am I a terrible person that I cannot help but psychoanalyse out the causes of this kind of thing?
I can't help it. I want to figure things out.
-
Best costume I saw was someone walking a three-legged dog with the leash tied to a bloody dog leg clenched in his teeth.
Oh man, if I had thought of that, we probably would have adopted that three-legged pug I was fostering. Just as well, since that's a pretty terrible idea to have more dogs than you ought to.
-
Also I've been listening to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-zZkbcF4fA
A friend of mine said she likes it because the girl seems to be fetishizing (sp?) inanimate objects. Listening to it in that context I have to agree and it reminded me of this documentary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fF34Uqulmfs#t=186s).
I'm gonna need some time to process this.
-
I knocked out that whole thing at work last night, and then told my wife about it this morning. That is some interesting stuff right there. I wish it had been longer and gone into more detail. There are some clips on YouTube from Tyra Banks' show, but I couldn't watch them.
-
Zombie Walk playlist: Oingo Boingo "Grey Matter" and "Dead Man's Party," and... I'm stuck there.
Living Dead Girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvsMPOfblfg), of course.
And possibly Don't Fear the Reaper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLSf43SXEp4)?
Also, Re: Your Brains (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQYjZc7gKXc) by Jonathan Coulton is a very appropriate tune with which you may not be familiar.
-
These guys (http://youtu.be/W1Tb3DT-mjA) might be appropriate.
They have the benefit of looking the part.
-
These guys (http://youtu.be/W1Tb3DT-mjA) might be appropriate.
They have the benefit of looking the part.
classic can
-
Awww, I just discovered (via Facebook) that I missed the Raleigh Zombie Walk last weekend. Shucks.
-
I'm listening to In Rainbows for the first time in a year or more. I don't remember it rocking so hard.
-
I made a huge playlist of David Bowie, Brian Eno, Captain Beefheart, The Clean, Desperate Bicycles, The Fall, Swell Maps, Les Rallizes Denudes, Roxy Music, Supreme Dicks, Wooden Shjips. I don't know what I think these bands have in common, but they fall into some category in my brain.
-
the new black keys single: lonely boy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_426RiwST8)
-
the new black keys single: lonely boy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_426RiwST8)
I'm glad that song isn't a remake of this (http://youtu.be/iCOS2vOxuXE).
-
i cant decide (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGitBIedvbY)-scissor sisters
-
i cant decide (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGitBIedvbY)-scissor sisters
Great song.
-
I'm listening to In Rainbows for the first time in a year or more. I don't remember it rocking so hard.
I remember doing that with that album. In fact I didn't like it at first but after a year or so I tried it again and loved it.
New Tom Waits is very good. If you've liked his material over the last two decades I imagine there will be a lot to like about the new album.
-
So I am looking through this thread to find something I posted at some point, and I found a place where DJ Kool Keith (Hernandez) said that "When I'm With You" sounds like Wavves with reverb instead of distortion.
This is the truth, because that song was written by Wavves. in case he hadn't heard that by now.
-
dont worry baby (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y-0nWVdBH4)-beach boys
beach boys' harmonies were the everloving shit.
-
Tonight I see Pixies for the first time. Surfer Blood is opening. I got one of SB's songs as a free daily download like a year or two ago. It didn't grab me but we'll see how they are live.
-
Jeez, Surfer Blood have really rocketed up fast.
I like them, they are fun. I tried to review the album for the radio station but I got bored of it and gave it to someone else who really liked them. I am pretty sure they do a cover of Hey Sandy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJrCkB9zzEo), so that is pretty cool. But I guess you guys are not the right age to have watched that show?
-
I really enjoyed the Pixies show I saw.
-
dont worry baby (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y-0nWVdBH4)-beach boys
beach boys' harmonies were the everloving shit.
You are receiving a harmony can.
-
This reminds me that I need to finish that parody of "Beach Baby" about a breach baby someday.
-
The existence of Japanese noise rock makes so much sense. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2vqPHUw7s)
Like: what is a prominent/international influentially movement in Japanese music?
Noise rock.
To sum this song up:
1. weird old electric organ sounds
2. "tribal" drumming and chanting
3. SURPRISE! SLUDGE METAL!
-
GHP (http://www.youtube.com/user/markv1967#p/u). Alas, "War Doggs and Iron Pigs" isn't on there - I don't think it's available anymore.
-
Smile. The Beach Boys.
GOOD LORD!
-
Did I hear a Good Lord?
-
Did I hear a Good Lord?
(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/5083300168_beb813af01.jpg)
-
I listened to some old-school Heart today.
-
I listened to some old-school Heart today.
Ann Wilson is a great singer.
-
Maybe Cameron Crowe told her about you. Didn't you go to Ridgemont high?
-
The new Circuit des Yeux album. I particularly like this (http://vimeo.com/24781539) song.
-
Lately I think a lot about the way I thought about music towards the end of high school. There was definitely a point where I thought, like, "OK, that's it."
I felt like I had hit a wall. I could never find things I wanted to listen to... I wanted more 80s indie music and 60s garage rock and classic punk and I didn't even know where to look. I basically decided there must be a lot more, but it was all mediocre. Obviously I had heard the greatest hits.
Nowadays there are so many weird tiny blogs that post full downloads of albums or tracks. Now the feeling is more that my lifetime cannot possibly be long enough just to hear all the awesome 60s garage rock out there, nevermind the old folk music, classic country, 80s and 90s indie bands, obscure punk bands with 1 single...
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZxBOH4HZLM), for example. I found this weird blog that posts psychedelia and psych-influenced indie rock, and it's like... dozens and dozens of albums I have never heard of. All of them easily available to download. I also got some japanese noise stuff, tons of tropicalia... yikes. So much music.
I have 32 days worth of unplayed music on my iTunes.
-
I know they are the well known ones but os mutantes and Tom ze are incredible. So is caetano veloso's first(?)(it has him with like a pink background) also, the first album that is just called tropicalia and has everyone on it.
On iPhone sorry.
-
yeah, I had Os Mutantes and Caetano Veloso. Now I got some Ze and that compilation.
Caetano Veloso has a million albums and once I listened to all of them. I think I particularly liked Joia and A Little More Blue. (other than Tropicalia, the obvious one)
-
I wish OWS people would bring back songs like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfuvNVpxaCQ)
Or just, you know, Woody Guthrie.
-
I found this weird blog that posts psychedelia and psych-influenced indie rock
This sounds great. Do you mind sharing the link?
-
I downloaded almost everything from this blog (http://fm-shades.blogspot.com/). They have not updated since the day I did that, so maybe I downloaded so much that they got shut down for being illegal.
-
I already have so much fuck*ng music I will never listen to, and I don't listen to as much music as I used to. I can't listen to music at work like I used to (because now I have to concentrate and shit) so I will never catch up.
Lately I have been listening to myself play Electric Funeral. This is the first song I can really play basically the whole thing. I really like the guy who is teaching me guitar, because he shows up and asks me what I've been doing, and I sheepishly start playing this song, and he shows me how I'm not quite playing it right, then he shows me the rest of it, and then he shows me the bass line (and has me play that as he cranks the guitar up to like 4 on the Marshall which is excessive and fun) and then he show my wife how to play the drums for it later. And he can do this for pretty much every song I listened to in high school.
-
Lately I have been listening to myself play Electric Funeral.
Now I am too. Well, not you playing it, but you know, Sabbath. I'd like to hear you play it. Post a vid.
-
I need a touch more practice yet.
-
I used to play that song in this one band when we were kids.
-
ghost with a boner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxkYIMhH8-I)-Diarrhea Planet
-
ghost with a boner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxkYIMhH8-I)-Diarrhea Planet
This is one of those cases where I don't care which is the band name and which is the song title.
-
I have seen Diarhhea planet. Why are they called that? They are kind of fun but mostly silly. Something like 5 guitars on stage.
There is a particular Thing in music that I am really into right now, and I cannot figure out how to explain it, or what it is exactly that is happening.
It definitely has to do with a transition from a verse with a really straight beat to a chorus with really wash-y chords. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA5bcZeGqwE)
Also present here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O5w5h2T87c). I know there is some fantastic 60s garage rock song that I am forgetting that has this going on. As well as, of course, every shoegaze band doing those washy chords for the entirety of every song.
I know this is not an opinion most people share, but Rubber Soul is probably my favorite Beatles album. Probably because I am a sucker for genre exercises (although the White Album has a lot of those too).
-
I know this is not an opinion most people share, but Rubber Soul is probably my favorite Beatles album. Probably because I am a sucker for genre exercises (although the White Album has a lot of those too).
I used to be more of a White Album/Sgt. Pepper's type of guy, but in recent years Rubber Soul and Revolver have become my two favorite Beatles ablums.
-
I know what you are describing. Here's (http://youtu.be/PbgKEjNBHqM) another good example.
-
YEAH!
It is totally an "opening up" of the musical space. Going from a tight beat and simple repetitive melody to a much looser beat (lots of cymbals and stuff) and a soaring melody. I always feel slightly like I am falling.
-
jeezes christ. this thread has like 30 pages I haven't read. fuck*ng achewood.
-
jeezes christ. this thread has like 30 pages I haven't read. fuck*ng achewood.
I'm currently listening the the "Welcome Back, robot_god" theme.
-
I thought I should mention in case anyone was concerned about wombat's Bruce Springsteen addiction: I am cured. Now all I listen to is Oingo Boingo.
-
after several years of having a reference to one of their albums as my twitter handle, I am finally listening to the DB's DBs Stands For Decibels. I am a fan.
They are from North Carolina! This song is such a silly 60s thing but I like it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-ymzCeHy4s&feature=related)
-
You know how I was saying what torture it is to know that I was alive to have seen them in concert but didn't know about them? Like, I even have to resist the impulse to torture myself further - I know that I took at least one trip to So.California in the 90s and I am trying not to look up the exact dates and see if they were playing concerts then... But I realized that this has a bright side. A new Bruce Springsteen album is coming out soon and you know what - when a group is dead, you don't have to go through that thing where you are waiting with trepidation to see if their next album is the one where they finally aren't good anymore.
-
Bon Iver is this year's Arcade Fire. Discuss.
-
I don't know for Bon Iver but when I think Arcade Fire I think "inconsistent but occasionally great and huge fuck*ng assholes".
Is this what Bon Iver are?
-
I am referring more to Arcade Fire's surprise Grammy win last year, and lots of people having no damn idea who they are (http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com/).
This year, Bon Iver is up for Record and song of the year, and best new artisit (never mind that this is his/their second album). If he wins either of the first two, even more people will be all "Bon who? Bon Jovi? What?"
It is a hella pretty song though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWcyIpul8OE
-
You know how I was saying what torture it is to know that I was alive to have seen them in concert but didn't know about them? Like, I even have to resist the impulse to torture myself further - I know that I took at least one trip to So.California in the 90s and I am trying not to look up the exact dates and see if they were playing concerts then... But I realized that this has a bright side. A new Bruce Springsteen album is coming out soon and you know what - when a group is dead, you don't have to go through that thing where you are waiting with trepidation to see if their next album is the one where they finally aren't good anymore.
Did I mention I went to Boise State University fall '93 to spring '96? That would be just after Built to Spill (a band I did not know existed until long after I graduated) formed . . . in Boise Idaho . . . and during the time that they released Ultimate Alternative Wavers and There's Nothing Wrong With Love. I probably missed a hundred shows by them, when they were playing for $5 a head, and I probably would have had Doug Martsch over to watch football games or some shit.
/not bitter
-
Hell, you play guitar right? Maybe you could be touring with them now...
-
Hell, you play guitar right? Maybe you could be touring with them now...
They already have twice as many guitarists as all the other instruments combined.
Edit: I either didn't parse that right or I am just stupid. Anyway, thanks again. Stop picking on me.
-
You know what is the best thing about Oingo Boingo? Nearly every one of their songs is wickedly earwormy, but in a perfectly pleasant way. So they can be used to cure other earworms. I am sure this will be particularly useful in the Christmas music season.
-
Plus they're just fun to say.
Oingo Boingo!
-
holy SHIT.
so my friend Zak moved to Laramie, WY to be with his girlfriend who is in grad school there. He is a really talented finger-picking guitar player and singer, and has been recording this album. In high school/college he was in a band with his cousin that was really good. Definitely has a thing where he self-sabotages to avoid criticism (ie, "oh, whatever, I don't care, they're just demos"). He is one of those people who... you might imagine, being my friend, that he is some kind of hipster. But he is not. He is 100% all-american Weirdo. I am sad that he moved away and I wish I had gotten to know him better. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of classic blues, folk, and country music. A major soft spot for really flashy country from the 70s and 80s. Also a surprising love for 70s and 80s punk music. His radio show was the best ever. You always learned something new.
He also recorded stuff when he was THIRTEEN that has recently been played on WFMU, the coolest radio station on earth. He is one talented guy.
Anyway, here is his album. (http://zakm.bandcamp.com/) My first impression is that this is a lot sweeter than any of his other stuff.
-
I have not heard a single band referenced in this article, but it's still the funniest concert review ever.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/dont-fall-for-the-siren-rap-song-of-mac-miller-theres-better-music-out-there/2011/12/02/gIQAu9BXMO_story.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/dont-fall-for-the-siren-rap-song-of-mac-miller-theres-better-music-out-there/2011/12/02/gIQAu9BXMO_story.html)
Fixed link, maybe?
-
j'know what? I know this makes me lose all cred I have ever had, but I don't understand why I am supposed to hate Counting Crows so much.
-
so my friend Zak moved to Laramie, WY
Fugazi recently launched an online show archive (http://www.dischord.com/fugazi_live_series). Sadly, one of the two shows I went to wasn't recorded, and the other one isn't yet available.
Anyway, turns out that they played Laramie twice (http://www.dischord.com/fugazi_live_series?filter%5Byear%5D=&filter%5Bcity%5D=&filter%5Bsong%5D=&filter%5Bstate%5D=WY&filter%5Bcountry%5D=&filter%5Bvenue%5D=&keyword=Search+Shows#fls_search_results), and the second time was at a place called Cowboy Bar. Fugazi not only played in all 50 states but also made attempts to play in cities that most bands won't even drive through so it shouldn't be surprising, except for the fact that they played at a place called Cowboy Bar in Laramie.
-
Fugazi recently launched an online show archive (http://www.dischord.com/fugazi_live_series). Sadly, one of the two shows I went to wasn't recorded, and the other one isn't yet available.
Yeah, I'm really anxious to get the show I saw in Lancaster, but it's not available yet.
I also saw them at the amphitheater by the Washington Monument once. Didn't check to see if that's up yet.
Update: apparently that show wasn't even recorded. Booooooooooo!
-
Update: apparently that show wasn't even recorded. Booooooooooo!
Tell me about it.
-
They played in Anchorage (unrecorded) while I was living in Boise. I had no idea that this even happened. They played in Boise twice, both recorded but not available (once three months before I got there, the other time while I was living there).
-
but I don't understand why I am supposed to hate Counting Crows so much.
I mean, I don't like 'em but they're hardly the worst thing out there.
I'd say they're lame and bland but not in any kind of offensive way, they're just kinda... there, inconsequentially crappy in a sea of far worse things.
Kinda like Padme in the Star Wars prequels. She's not exciting or well-defined or interesting or anything but when you put her up against whiny-ass Baby Darth Vader or Jar-Jar Binks, you're like "ah, her character is not helping matters but she isn't the one actively aggressively insulting my intelligence, she's kind of just normal bad."
The Counting Crows are kinda like that, they're just normal bad.
-
adam duritz has a great voice, the problem with the band is the mediocre sound and writing. haters gonna hate
-
I liked the earlier Counting Crows stuff. I always had the thought, really, on a street cred type level, if I wanted to dedicate myself to such a sort of sound, that the more hip thing to do would be to get into Van Morrison. The thing is, I don't really like Van Morrison on enough of a level to put any energy into it. "Long December" came out when I was in a dark depression after breaking up with my first love, and I had that song on repeat at the time. Their first two albums were good comfort for depression actually. After those two, I lost track of them, and then there was that awful song from the Shrek soundtrack that got some airplay and another song I can't recall that also got lots of attention. I just remember thinking the lead singer must have gotten a scrip for some good antidepressants because the songs were peppy and shitty in equal parts, and that killed it for me.
-
hm.
I trace my love for lo-fi shitty recordings to a "hidden" track on one of their albums. I heard the tossed off lo-fi semi-live version and then the real recorded version and decided that one was good and one was bad and that was IT as far as my taste in rock music goes.
I do not see the connection to Van Morrison. Could you expand on that?
-
They had a song called Round Here that I liked a whole lot. Otherwise I kinda found them mopey and depressing.
-
round here was probably their mopiest and depressingest song
-
round here was probably their mopiest and depressingest song
For sure. But that one worked.
I do not see the connection to Van Morrison. Could you expand on that?
Possibly because Morrison and Duritz have somewhat similar sounding voices and also Duritz sings sha la la la la on Mr Jones just like Morrison does on Brown Eyed girl.
-
j'know what? I know this makes me lose all cred I have ever had, but I don't understand why I am supposed to hate Counting Crows so much.
But isn't the great thing about that article that any one of us could replace all the band names in its with other band names to make it make sense? The sentiments are so universal. In fact, if we did it, no doubt someone else would respond "I don't understand why I am supposed to hate X so much."
-
Bruce Springsteen?
I know I'm supposed to hate Van Morrison because he's an insufferable dick, but I still really like him.
-
Bruce Springsteen?
I know I'm supposed to hate Van Morrison because he's an insufferable dick, but I still really like him.
Van Morrison is really one of the best examples out there of the man and the music being completely mismatched temperamentally.
And to tie it all together, if you Google "Van Morrison insufferable dick" the top hit is something called "Counting Crows: Musical Poetry or Insufferable Garbage?"
-
More troubling to me, I'm supposed to hate Elvis Costello because he's a racist (http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20073464,00.html).
-
Are we really still supposed to be hating him for a drunken bar brawl in 1979?
-
My dad doesn't like Neil Young as much ever since he yelled at my dad/the rest of the audience to stop rhythmically clapping during a song.
Does it make me a jerk that I can't imagine any Neil Young song sounding good with rhythmic clapping? I might be on Neil's side on this one.
"when I wrote this song, nobody was clapping."
-
Neil Young is definitely one of those rock and roll types who, while I love his music, I am pretty sure he would be an asshole to know in person.
Which is fine with me, actually. I buy his CDs not time with him drinkin' a beer, you know?
And he's honest about it, too, he's not trying to pretend he's a really nice guy because he believes that'll sell more product.
-
"I don't understand why I am supposed to hate X so much."
What do you have against John Doe?
-
Neil Young is definitely one of those rock and roll types who, while I love his music, I am pretty sure he would be an asshole to know in person.
I'm the exact opposite. I'm pretty sure Stephen Stills is a jackass, though.
-
Does it make me a jerk that I can't imagine any Neil Young song sounding good with rhythmic clapping? I might be on Neil's side on this one.
As a onetime percussionist, I learned that untrained persons can't keep time, especially crowds. They inevitably speed up, which can be irritating to the musicians.
To wit:
How every percussionist feels when a mass of people try to clap a rhythm together (http://imgur.com/YzxAp)
(http://i.imgur.com/YzxAp.png)
-
My dad doesn't like Neil Young as much ever since he yelled at my dad/the rest of the audience to stop rhythmically clapping during a song.
At first I thought you were referring to his Massey Hall recording, which is amazing by the way, but it turns out that I had misremembered. He was actually scolding a photographer for clicking his shutter out of time.
Hmm... I can't quite remember, but I feel I have a recording of him stopping the song and telling the audience to not clap along.
Neil Young is definitely one of those rock and roll types who, while I love his music, I am pretty sure he would be an asshole to know in person.
I have a totally different opinion. I feel he must be a really great person to know because he's so loyal both professionally and personally. Hell, he's had the same guitar tech for almost 40 years. He's even loyal to his instruments.
No, I don't believe Neil Young is an asshole.
-
Neil Young probably is not an asshole. David Crosby would probably be a really fun asshole.
I dislike clapping at shows and think that bands that encourage that are kind of lame. I have posted this here before, but one time I saw Jonathan Richman with like 10 people max. Even there, a dude who has been playing since the early 70s at least- playing for ten people in Oklahoma, asked a woman not to take photographs and explained that it is much nicer to live in the moment instead of trying to document things for later. It made me love him all the more.
I think we should hate Elvis Costello from 1979-present, but that is only cause of his work during that time. Give Me My Aim is True or This Years Model or Give Me Another Band.
-
I dislike forced sing alongs and clap alongs. If the band has to ask you to clap along or sing along then they aren't doing their job as performers. Now when an audience spontaneously starts to clap or sing along it's a totally different story. That can be magical.
This (http://youtu.be/lDckgX3oU_w) is the greatest example of that sort of thing I know of.
-
Oh, Young might well be a nice guy to people he actually knows, this is entirely possible.
I guess I really just meant that he's probably not much of one for patience with general people.
-
Oh, Young might well be a nice guy to people he actually knows, this is entirely possible.
I guess I really just meant that he's probably not much of one for patience with general people.
I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. Are you saying he's a nice guy and teats his family, friends, and professional associates well, but doesn't suffer fools gladly? That's hardly my definition of an asshole, but whatever. If it makes you feel better to believe that Neil Young is a dick then rock on with your bad self.
-
I always thought that this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmpNkfVJ1U) was pretty nice for a little singalong thing, but I know lots (and lots and lots) of people think that Pearl Jam sucks and that Ed Ved is more of a dick than even Neil Young (possible, perhaps probable, but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in that case).
-
I always thought that this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmpNkfVJ1U) was pretty nice for a little singalong thing, but I know lots (and lots and lots) of people think that Pearl Jam sucks and that Ed Ved is more of a dick than even Neil Young (possible, perhaps probable, but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in that case).
That was very nice. Great reworking of that song too.
-
See, unlike everywhere else, I sort of LIKE the idea of my rock heroes being kinda assholey.
Under what other logic could I both Robert Fripp and Axl Rose a whole lot? They are basically polar opposites inside the idea of being a rock and roll person except that they seem like heroically awesomely kind of assholes about some things.
Okay, rock and roll and baseball. These are the two things where I want my heroes to kinda be dicks.
My team of all teams was the 1986 Mets, for God's sake, and the only guys who weren't high on speedballs were Gary Carter and Mookie Wilson and... Mook and the Kid were merely extraordinarily drunk.
-
Okay fine, you like your musicians to be dicks. So what. You haven't offered any kind of evidence that Neil Young is a dick. All we've been given, is that one time he told the audience to behave, which isn't really a dick move in my opinion. Maybe he's an asshole, I don't know. I do know that he is loyal and others are loyal to him. That doesn't necessarily prove he's not an asshole, but it does suggest otherwise.
What are we even talking about here? Neither one of us know or will ever know what he is like in his personal life. Are there youtube clips out there of Neil Young acting in a dickish manner? Did Steven Stills write a biography telling what a prick he was to work with? What?
I just really don't know what you are basing your opinion on.
-
Neil Young may want people to shut up (especially if they are out of rhythm) at his shows, but seriously. Farm Aid, the Bridge School Concerts, etc, etc . . . I get what you are saying, but he is about the kindest most generous asshole there is out there. Cut Mr. Young a break.
Like musicians who are dicks if you want, though - you won't ever run out of 'em.
-
I'm just tying to picture in my mind Larry Cragg (http://vintageinstrumentrental.com/) saying to himself "fuck my life if I have to spend one more day with that fuck*ng douchebag Neil Young.
-
Edit: oops, didn't notice that there was another page. In response to:
I always thought that this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmpNkfVJ1U) was pretty nice for a little singalong thing, but I know lots (and lots and lots) of people think that Pearl Jam sucks and that Ed Ved is more of a dick than even Neil Young (possible, perhaps probable, but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in that case).
Eddie Vedder might be a dick, but I thought everyone at least liked Ten.
Also, I can't imagine Neil Young being different than anyone else as far as strangers go. I mean, it's almost like in order to avoid being a dick, someone who has achieved some kind of celebrity status has to slobber all over any person's dong. I treat most people I see with indifference.
Then again, I'm kind of a dick.
-
The Fluxblog 2011 Survey (http://www.fluxblog.org/2011/12/fluxblog-2011-survey-mix) is in!
-
The Fluxblog 2011 Survey (http://www.fluxblog.org/2011/12/fluxblog-2011-survey-mix) is in!
You're so fuck*ng awesome, Paul. Thanks for tha linx!
-
Just starting to look at the artists and so psyched.
-
The Fluxblog 2011 Survey (http://www.fluxblog.org/2011/12/fluxblog-2011-survey-mix) is in!
Oh Lordy! This is exactly what I needed! I bought like 6 albums tops that came out this year and listened to 5. Only one of those was by people whose stuff I wasn't already familiar with from ye olden days. That was the Anna Calvi album, and it is magnificent.
-
The 2010 one is still available. You should definitely grab that one while you are at it. I've been listening to it all year long.
-
I think I have done some sort of full-circle thing, hipsterism wise, because even the bands that I like on that list, I have not heard their new albums. There are 3 or 4 songs on there that I have heard. One of which is Azealia Banks' 212 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Jv9fNPjgk), which i would find super annoying if it weren't for the fact that I love watching a black woman's mouth move while she talks.
-
The Fluxblog 2011 Survey (http://www.fluxblog.org/2011/12/fluxblog-2011-survey-mix) is in!
That is so much stuff that it seems more intimidating than fun.
-
I think I have done some sort of full-circle thing, hipsterism wise, because even the bands that I like on that list, I have not heard their new albums. There are 3 or 4 songs on there that I have heard. One of which is Azealia Banks' 212 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Jv9fNPjgk), which i would find super annoying if it weren't for the fact that I love watching a black woman's mouth move while she talks.
She's super attractive.
-
I fell into a pit that is comprised entirely of the Gary Numan albums "Replicas" and "Pleasure Principle"
-
Black Keys - El Camino
Just over and over again.
-
See, unlike everywhere else, I sort of LIKE the idea of my rock heroes being kinda assholey.
Under what other logic could I both Robert Fripp and Axl Rose a whole lot? They are basically polar opposites inside the idea of being a rock and roll person except that they seem like heroically awesomely kind of assholes about some things.
Yeah this keep popping up and I don't get it. Onstad especially kept implying that Robert Fripp is probably an asshole but I don't see it at all. He may be an obvious perfectionist, but how uptight can you be if you're letting Belew do a solo of elephant noises, and your breakthrough album has like 10 minutes of an ambient noise jam. You have to be pretty loose personality-wise in some aspects, I would think.
I would bet strongly that Fripp is actually a nice dude. "[He makes the hardest chord possible in pictures.]" Shut up Onstad, he's pretty humble. And he doesn't even play many chords you dummy.
-
Music-wise he has always let the band members he's chosen strongly influence KC's music. With KC it has never seemed to me like he was a band-leader authoritarian.
His solo album was REAL garbage though, don't ever bother listening to it and just pretend it doesn't exist. Really, don't.
-
Black Keys - El Camino
Just over and over again.
Indeed, this rocks pretty hard.
-
Black Keys - El Camino
Just over and over again.
Hey, what do you know, this shows up on the fluxblog 2011 survey.
-
I've been listening to Mew a lot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnP81ckrWq4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXs2V8pgMz8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQWBhyShSWs
Also Yonderboy (yeah they look kinda Backpfeifengesicht-y but they actually rock)
http://www.myspace.com/yonderboymusic
-
Ah yes, Mew. I learned about them via a mixdisc I got from a TOUAMB swap. It came from Starlight. I wish she would come back, if only to curate another mixdisc. Ha ha.
I remember her mix had 3 Mew cuts.
Specifically...
156:
http://youtu.be/jFjKALF454g
Her Voice is Beyond Her Years:
http://youtu.be/Giwdyk8sqA8
Comforting Sounds:
http://youtu.be/DnAt0xpO2HU
-
What Paul said.
-
I know there are some Captain Beefheart fans here:
Captain Beefheart's Bat Chain Puller finally gets an official release (http://www.avclub.com/articles/captain-beefhearts-bat-chain-puller-finally-gets-a,66915/).
Pre-order here: http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/Dept.aspx?cp=971_54317
-
I think I may be listening to a Springsteen Xmas album, but I'm not sure.
-
It's that time of the year where the magazines make their 'Top 50 Albums of the Year' lists, so in honour of the Number 1 placing of 'Let England Shake' by PJ Harvey in both the NME and Uncut, I broke out that album again. It's a deserving first place.
'The English Riviera' by Metronomy took second place in one mag and third in the other, so I gave that a couple listens on Spotify, and I thought that was pretty good, but maybe doesn't have all my main ingredients to be one of my absolute faves.
My personal favourite album of the year is the Anna Calvi debut, and that only placed in one of those mags, at number 11 in the NME, and that ain't nearly enough recognition for that album.
-
dick jokes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N24fVEJyQKM)
-
I know there are some Captain Beefheart fans here:
Captain Beefheart's Bat Chain Puller finally gets an official release (http://www.avclub.com/articles/captain-beefhearts-bat-chain-puller-finally-gets-a,66915/).
Pre-order here: http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/Dept.aspx?cp=971_54317
Woooo!
-
Looking at year end lists this year, I really just have no interest in listening to anything.
oh, except This album (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3grqqpCCkbk&feature=related) again and again.
Maybe I'll download that Fluxblog thing, but really, no Oh Sees or Mikal Cronin? Come on dudes.
Really, maybe my album of the year is my friend's album. (http://zakm.bandcamp.com/track/weak-willed-sick-stiff) The chorus on this one gives me chills. Although from polling my friends Anthem (http://zakm.bandcamp.com/track/anthem) seems like the breakaway hit. Mostly because it is basically sounds like a journal entry from this guy's life.
Seriously guys, even my grumpy girlfriend loves this album. Check out my friend's album.
-
I happened across an interview with Axl Rose. He seems to be healthy and in good spirits. I really did not care for the new Guns and Roses album, but the live GnR is an 8 piece rock juggernaut (http://youtu.be/ibGTbK5_ky0).
-
Your 2011 bigfool.com year-end mix CD:
Title: "never gonna break"
1. The Helio Sequence “Keep Your Eyes Ahead”
2. The Black Keys “Sister”
3. Junip “Rope and Summit”
4. Iron & Wine “Tree By the River”
5. Band of hosss, “The General Specific”
6. Beirut, “Santa Fe”
7. Foster the People, “Call It Want You Want”
8. Gorillaz, “Doncamatic (Joker remix)”
9. Little Dragon, “Ritual Union”
10. Bon Iver, “Minnesota, WI”
11. The National, “Exile Vilify”
12. Wye Oak, “Civilian”
13. Freelance Whales, “Generator ^ Second Floor”
14. Kings of Leon, “Back Down South”
15. Army Navy, “The Long Goodbye”
16. Yuck, “Operation”
17. fun, “Benson Hedges”
18. The Joy Formidable, “Whirring”
Will post FTP instructions once I verify that the cover art looks OK (i.e. tomorrow).
-
hey guys i recorded my christmas song
its like my gift to you guys or something merry christmasdays. its a little longish but it might entertain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8XB5QT5aO0
-
OK, the aforementioned mix is ready for download. Previous years' still available as well
ftp.bigfool.com
user name: bigfoo_guest
password: R0X0rz!
This year's cover art may be the best yet, if I do say so myself. It helps to have a borrowed European teenage daughter who is a really good photographer.
-
Thnaks, Carlos, many thnaks. D'ing now (who's empowered at the office right now I am).
-
Probably my favorite Christmas-mentioning song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdUgOwSJE7w)
-
hey guys i recorded my christmas song
its like my gift to you guys or something merry christmasdays. its a little longish but it might entertain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8XB5QT5aO0
Very very nice!
-
never give up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BawCTG7g6QA)-mike v and the rats
1. fuck yeah Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2!
2. (sometimes)fuck yeah cheese-y broXcore!
-
hey guys i recorded my christmas song
its like my gift to you guys or something merry christmasdays. its a little longish but it might entertain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8XB5QT5aO0
Kick Ass!
-
I am listening to 1000 Times Yes's 2011 mixes (http://1000timesyes.tumblr.com/post/14880554878/whineys-best-of-2011-mixtapes-vol-1-2-3).
I am a huge fan of the categories of the 3 discs, mostly. Anyone who puts Britney Spears next to Thee Oh Sees has a broad enough appreciation of music that I will pay attention to them.
-
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals (http://youtu.be/oHlhOgQ36m8).
-
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals (http://youtu.be/oHlhOgQ36m8).
It's a very fertile time for pop music these days.
-
I am listening to 1000 Times Yes's 2011 mixes (http://1000timesyes.tumblr.com/post/14880554878/whineys-best-of-2011-mixtapes-vol-1-2-3).
Oh boy, another mixdisc.
-
OK, the aforementioned mix is ready for download. Previous years' still available as well
ftp.bigfool.com
user name: bigfoo_guest
password: R0X0rz!
And I didn't overlook this either.
Is it perverse that I am downloading these best of 2011 mixapes while listening to an album from 1973?
-
Depends on the album. It isn't Piano Man, is it?
-
Depends on the album. It isn't Piano Man, is it?
Ha ha, no.
-
I am listening to 1000 Times Yes's 2011 mixes (http://1000timesyes.tumblr.com/post/14880554878/whineys-best-of-2011-mixtapes-vol-1-2-3).
I am a huge fan of the categories of the 3 discs, mostly. Anyone who puts Britney Spears next to Thee Oh Sees has a broad enough appreciation of music that I will pay attention to them.
There's some crossover from this to the Fluxblog mix.
-
Ha ha, no.
Innervisions?
-
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
-
Nice. My serious guess was Queen.
-
Nice. My serious guess was Queen.
Queen's first album came out in '73.
-
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is a perfectly cromulent album. Were you listening to it on vinyl? I wish I still had my vinyl of that.
I'm listening to some live Wilco (Handshake Drugs, Dallas) currently. Thanks, Paul!
-
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is a perfectly cromulent album. Were you listening to it on vinyl? I wish I still had my vinyl of that.
I'm listening to some live Wilco (Handshake Drugs, Dallas) currently. Thanks, Paul!
No, no vinyl. I've got it on vinyl, but the vinyl is in the storage room with my knicknacks. I'm slowly retrieving that stuff so I'll have it here eventually. But I gave my turntable away some years ago so I'm gonna have to invest in a new one when I ultimately get my super swank music room built. One of these days.
I forgot I sent you that Wilco. It's totally bad ass. I just picked up Wilco's session over at Daytrotter (http://www.daytrotter.com/#!/concert/wilco/20055209-8535). It's pretty darn great too.
-
I have all the Wilco on a playlist with Whiskeytown and Cracker and Cowboy Junkies and stuff like that. It drives my co-workers nuts.
-
the more you ignore me the closer i get (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nAMFWDuDEI)-morrissey
at first i was like, "oh, shut the fuck up, morrissey." but then i was all, "hey, except for the bitching about being cockblocked, this song sounds pretty good."
-
Morrissey is a total dick but I adore him. If you can get past his... Morrissey-ness, he's a great songwriter.
-
Sarah Harmer is so talented. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iVuK0lvJLk) This is a live performance of a tune from her latest album "Oh Little Fire."
-
the more you ignore me the closer i get (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nAMFWDuDEI)-morrissey
at first i was like, "oh, shut the fuck up, morrissey." but the i was all, "hey, except for the bitching about being cockblocked, this song sounds pretty good."
I guess it's time for me to try to like Morrissey again. There are certain musical artist that are highly revered, but he just doesn't do anything for me. From time to time I spend a little bit of time trying to get into them. It's been awhile since I tried with Morrissey. Welp, wish me luck.
-
Okay, I got 4 songs into it when somebody posted something on Facebook that made me think of Neil Young. I gave it my best shot. We'll try it again next year maybe.
-
My opinion is that Morrissey sucks, but Johnny Marr is awesome. I will listen to the Smiths for Johnny Marr.
-
Well yeah, I was listening to The Smiths, which strikes me as good at times, but I can live without it.
-
I am to Morrissey like Waylon Smithers is to Malibu Stacy. There's no accounting for taste though, so why try to like something? Everybody has got some canonical, highly revered musical acts that just don't turn them on. Loving every word of Morrissey, every facial tic, every mic cord whip, every inlaid in-joke, every subtle homage to some forgotten cultural obscurity and every withering tongue-in-cheek pronouncement comes easily to me.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc1ObUMFWMo
-
i dont care for morrissey's tunes, generally(i guess im not beaner (http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2005/06/21/morrissey's-latino-fanbase/) enough?). same goes for the smiths.
-
I like Moz and the Smiths just fine. Of course, I like all that mopey English shit.
-
My opinion is that Morrissey sucks, but Johnny Marr is awesome. I will listen to the Smiths for Johnny Marr.
I have no interest in starting a Morrissey vs. Marr debate, but I don't understand how you could listen to the Smiths if you hate Morrissey. Unless you like scrub his voice or something.
It's like eating a hot fudge sundae for the ice cream even though you hate hot fudge. Morrissey is in nearly every bite.
-
I actually hate (by hate I mean the dude is overrated) Johnny Marr. I am pretty neutral on Morrissey, but man, Johnny Marr ain't that good. I think this sums up why The Smiths are good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc1ObUMFWMo
Bass and drums mother fuckers.
Also, you'se guys know the Hitch Hike story? Marvin Gaye had a song called Hitch Hike. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwvHfwDfapI Then the Stones covered it and added this sweet ass riff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmkU3yg4lK0 Then the Velvet Underground stole that sweet ass riff for There She Goes Again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOrwJ7HHyyE Then the Smiths stole it for the intro of There is a Light That Never Goes Out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INgXzChwipY
That is my favorite riff story in rock history.
-
I'd made the connection between Hitch Hike and There She Goes Again but I wasn't familiar with the Stones cover and would never have made the Smiths connection. That's rad.
That song by the Smiths perfectly encapsulates I think why I love them so much and why other people don't.
I mean, "and in the darkened underpass I thought oh God my chance has come at last, but then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask." That's as perfect as rock lyricism gets in my mind, but I can see why people hate it.
But you're right, their rhythm section doesn't get nearly enough credit. There are excuses enough for everybody to love the Smiths.
-
it is funny that that is the song you post, because I freaking love the guitar on that track.
Started re-reading this book I read about the delta blues in high school... looks like I'm going on another unstoppable acoustic blues kick. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRQgQhcEPHI&feature=related)
-
wild sex(in the working class) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNsOuY9Y4pc)-oingo boingo
asserdan included this track on his last mix CD and you cant ask for more from a sex jam. also, the bass player is a fuck*ng monster.
-
I mean, "and in the darkened underpass I thought oh God my chance has come at last, but then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask." That's as perfect as rock lyricism gets in my mind, but I can see why people hate it.
As much as you can separate a dude's lyrics and his image, Morrissey's lyrics are perfect/brilliant rock lyrics. The dude himself kinda seems like a dick though, and not a cool Dylanish dick. Luckily, I don't listen to The Smiths (or anyone- though the Black Lips seem hella cool and that adds to my enjoyment I must admit) cause I think Morrissey is a guy I would want to hang out with.
it is funny that that is the song you post, because I freaking love the guitar on that track.
Yeah, I was listening to that track after I posted it and really liked it. I don't really have an opinion about Marr's guitar, except that it just sounds bad on a pure sound basis. Like just how the guitar sounds is bad to me, not the playing or anything. That makes sense right? It is the only band that I have that reaction with that isn't just purely based on metal distortion or whatever. And everyone talks about how good Marr is, and I'm all, meh...dude sucks.
Plus he was around when Modest penis got absolutely awful, though they were clearly going that way already, so you can't really blame him. I got through about the first 30 seconds of the first five songs of that album and haven't thought about new modest penis since.
-
Marr is best song played on ugliest guitar
Weird opinion, hombre, but one can for the eternal truth about rhythm sections, and a bonus can for the rock riff story.
Edit: Yeah, that bonus can is in the mail.
-
But you're right, their rhythm section doesn't get nearly enough credit. There are excuses enough for everybody to love the Smiths.
It's funny you should mention the rhythm section because I when I was listening to them before I was thinking to myself how much I disliked the drumming. I only listened to 4 songs so maybe I was being hasty. So I'm listening to them again this morning. 5 songs in... Yep, I really don't like the drumming much at all.
I like the guitar playing though. And How Soon is Now is a cool song, but there's nothing else like it in their repertoire that I've heard.
-
Hitch Hike is a fuck*ng terrific song. I didn't know about any of that other stuff. I love the classic YT comments on the Stones track, though - "Jagger was a better singer than Marvin Gaye" . . . hm.
-
yeah, the super chorused-out guitar tone has not aged well.
-
So, this is where I'm putting this:
Today's iTunes fuckery. I go to import a CD which is a tribute to a local band a few friends of mine are in. It's not in iTunes, so I decide to submit the track names. Everything is cool, but it needs an artist name. I go to put in "Various Artists" and it crashes as soon as I type the letter "V". Try again, same deal, exact same spot.. Random.
-
Also, you'se guys know the Hitch Hike story? Marvin Gaye had a song called Hitch Hike. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwvHfwDfapI Then the Stones covered it and added this sweet ass riff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmkU3yg4lK0 Then the Velvet Underground stole that sweet ass riff for There She Goes Again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOrwJ7HHyyE Then the Smiths stole it for the intro of There is a Light That Never Goes Out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INgXzChwipY
That is my favorite riff story in rock history.
I wonder how much of that was deliberate? It's not really that distinctive. It could be coincidence.
-
I just can't get over that the riff for Lady Godiva (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hLAp6K7wXQ) by the VU is also the solo for the Creedence song "Born on the Bayou." Born on the Bayou came second, but do we think John Fogerty was listening to White Light/White Heat? Seems unlikely. Maybe this riff is from an old blues song I haven't heard yet.
-
Did I mention how I was listening to Lady Madonna the other day and my office-mate was all "I've heard this song before, don't tell me . . ." and I said "do you want a hint? They're the most popular artists in the history of recorded music".
I'm listening to the Angels (http://youtu.be/SprbGBbP1lU).
-
"Jagger was a better singer than Marvin Gaye" . . . hm.
fuck*ng blasphemy. I've stoned people to death for less than this.
-
I just can't get over that the riff for Lady Godiva (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hLAp6K7wXQ) by the VU is also the solo for the Creedence song "Born on the Bayou." Born on the Bayou came second, but do we think John Fogerty was listening to White Light/White Heat? Seems unlikely. Maybe this riff is from an old blues song I haven't heard yet.
The blues riff theory seems right, but I like the idea of Fogerty listening to VU better. Didn't someone say that although they didn't sell many albums, everyone who bought one started a band? Lou Reed, thank you for "Lookin' Out My Back Door."
-
wolves in disguise (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ6E_flJjkE)
-
The blues riff theory seems right, but I like the idea of Fogerty listening to VU better. Didn't someone say that although they didn't sell many albums, everyone who bought one started a band? Lou Reed, thank you fuck you for "Lookin' Out My Back Door."
That's how I'd do it, but considering I hate both of those bands it's an interesting idea, and might explain it.
-
I'm used to most people I interact with not liking or knowing anything about some of my favorite bands/musicians, but I'm always a bit disturbed and maybe even a little heartbroken when I find out someone hates Creedence. I mean, I knew you hate Lou Reed, and I get that, but Creedence?
-
I'm used to most people I interact with not liking or knowing anything about some of my favorite bands/musicians, but I'm always a bit disturbed and maybe even a little heartbroken when I find out someone hates Creedence. I mean, I knew you hate Lou Reed, and I get that, but Creedence?
My only problem with Creedence is that I've heard them so much over the course of my life that I am numb to them. But damn, I really don't know how it's possible to hate Creedence.
You gotta Keep on Chooglin' (http://youtu.be/mUzl7_OpVLA).
-
Too much fuckin' chooglin'. Jesus that shit is exhausting. Doo doo doo indeed.
I'm listening to Shirley Horn, Ella Fitzgerald, Blossom Dearie, Billie Holliday, etc.
-
Blossom Dearie,
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7DzWZTvIjg) is about the extent of my exposure to Blossom Dearie, but I've always had an interest. Suggestions?
-
I completely forgot about that. I found her on the soundtrack to Kissing Jessica Stein, and went from there. It's all pretty good, but My Gentleman Friend might be a good starting point. I'll link I Wish You Love (http://youtu.be/Ncel1tUa9eA), because I can't find anything from the album I mentioned.
-
ever lovin' fingers-jimmy bowen and the rhythm orchids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWS6mDF341w)
-
I turned the "70's Hits" channel on Directv on, which is Sirius or XM or whatever the fuck it is now. The song playing was "Moonlight Feels Right" by Starbuck. My immediate impression was "My God, in the cheesiest of decades, this song stands out for cheesiness." Then we reached the marimba solo. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYOwuIiezKE)
Damn! That's a hell of a solo for any instrument, much less one you play with hammers. I wonder where that guy and his jumpsuit are now. Thank you, Marimba Guy, for showing me there's great beauty to be found even in the midst of hella cheesiness.
-
fuck off and die (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5tDQ38uLPo)-darkthrone
-
I sure do like this band Tennis, based on what I've heard so far.
Oirigns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qapnomk2sys)
Seafarer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPYoSgTwqI4)
-
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7DzWZTvIjg) is about the extent of my exposure to Blossom Dearie, but I've always had an interest. Suggestions?
That was beautiful and so nostalgic. Do you oldtimers remember when they showed barrel jumping on Wide World of Sports? I used to love watching barrel jumping.
-
shekere(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGont_A1-Bw)-diego paulo
-
That was beautiful and so nostalgic. Do you oldtimers remember when they showed barrel jumping on Wide World of Sports? I used to love watching barrel jumping.
Oh hell yeah. Why do we have ESPNs through The Ocho but somehow they don't manage to capture the same variety of sports that Wide World of Sports did in two hours a week?
-
That's a good goddamn question.
-
Oh hell yeah. Why do we have ESPNs through The Ocho but somehow they don't manage to capture the same variety of sports that Wide World of Sports did in two hours a week?
Two hours a week? Sports Machine, bitches.
-
I am listening to J5 (http://youtu.be/2mpThzEZqGQ).
-
I am listening to J5 (http://youtu.be/2mpThzEZqGQ).
rad as fuck hiphop
-
Well I don't care 'bout the clothes you wear
It's the size of your heart, not the length of your hair
Don't make no difference to me, the color that you be
Black, white or brown, it's all the same to me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGaBVb8Hpg4)
IT'S A SUICIDAL FRIDAY
That band always makes me nostalgic. I grew up in Southern California and until I moved overseas I always sort of lazily thought that we didn't have any local culture. Sometimes you have to go away to see the forest for the trees. Similarly, Social Distortion, The Vandals, Oingo Boingo, etc. make me feel nostalgic, but Suicidal Tendencies had the whole palette right there - The Vision painter's caps, the skateboading, the vatos, the street gang thing. Now, looking back, I think that Southern California had a pretty rich culture during the days I was growing up in.
Pretty typical expatriate sentiments, I guess.
-
But nonetheless true. I've whip-dogged a few folk for not respecting that point.
Some of these you make up right on the spot, right?
-
Etta James, of course.
-
I'm listening to James Brown Mother Popcorn (again) because it's got to be funky, but I went looking for it and found James Brown and Sammy Davis Jr. (http://youtu.be/e6V82PTJgDw), which is pretty good too.
-
Did I never mention Grace Potter and the Nocturnals (http://youtu.be/oHlhOgQ36m8)? Seriously, I would do anything that woman asked.
There are a few parts in that song where she sounds sort of like Merry Clayton during that terrifying portion of Gimme Shelter (http://youtu.be/WJDnJ0vXUgw?t=2m44s) that I've discussed in the past.
I really like being able to link to specific parts of youtube videos.
-
Did I never mention Grace Potter and the Nocturnals (http://youtu.be/oHlhOgQ36m8)? Seriously, I would do anything that woman asked.
Yeah, that's hot.
-
Florence + The Machine (http://youtu.be/iW9ZIzzvbGg)
-
I love Florence + The Machine. What a voice.
I spend a huge portion of my Saturday creating a new playlist of about 130 songs for my morning runs, and included a bunch of really fantastic, sometimes cheesey additions. Listening to "Eye of the Tiger," "Whomp (There it is)" and "I Like Big Butts" while running puts a nice big silly grin on my face.
-
Working out to Eye of the Tiger is cheesy if you are lady who bares no resemblance what so ever to a young Sylvester Stalone. And if all you are doing is running on a stationary elliptical machine. Come on, I am doing the opposite of what a fighter would do to train. That's what makes it super silly. The actions, not the song itself.
-
Today I am meeting with the Reverend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uACs5f43wRU)
easily my favorite song by the rev.
-
I like 400 Bucks (http://youtu.be/TOCvL_yWM7M).
I once saw The Rev in Vegas. He was supposed to play with Nashville Pussy and Hank 3. So NP played, and then the Rev, and then he tells us that Hank didn't show and he was really sorry, but that they did have a special guest. Then Lemmy came out and did like ten songs with the Rev backing him up. That was solid. It was even better because some idiot kept yelling "Ace of Spades" (not me) and Lemmy finally said "I ain't playing fookin' Ace of Spades". He did play a couple of Sex Pistols songs, though.
-
It's weird how I will go a couple of months thinking "Dang, I need some good new music and I can't find jack shit." Then suddenly I will have more good new stuff than I know what to do with.
Such as Sharon Van Etten. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asucnxxX83w&feature=relmfu)
-
lets have a war (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN7lJF_R6Pk)-from autumn to ashes(cover of an old fear song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUxkFCBPgx4))
-
lets have a war (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN7lJF_R6Pk)-from autumn to ashes(cover of an old fear song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUxkFCBPgx4))
Oh fuck is that ever a good song. Again, I am trashed.
-
Oh fuck is that ever a good song. Again, I am trashed.
abloobloobloo! you only love my songs when youre drunk! this friendship is over!
heh, no yeah, it gets you way pumped.
-
mean ol' wind died down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iWSa60-gyM)-north mississippi allstars
-
I went to see N. Miss. All Stars play and they jammed so fuck*ng hard. It blew me away. So I went to buy their record and I was so disappointed. It was all pretty mellow, kinda like this track.
Not that this is a bad track, but I haven't heard any of their stuff that comes even close to the intensity of their live show.
If they haven't already, they need to put out a live album.
-
The only New Year's thing I am working towards is learning this song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KRQgQhcEPHI#t=111s) It is really really hard for me to play. Damn, fingerstyle is rough. But listening to it over and over only makes me want to learn it more.
-
The only New Year's thing I am working towards is learning this song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KRQgQhcEPHI#t=111s) It is really really hard for me to play. Damn, fingerstyle is rough. But listening to it over and over only makes me want to learn it more.
What has helped me recently is focusing more on the rhythm of my fingers and worrying less about them striking the correct strings. Once I get in the groove the precision seems to flow from that naturally.
-
That is what my friend says. He has been playing since he was like 15, and is at the point where he can just do whatever without thinking about it. He says he just sat there doing an alternating bassline for hours and hours until he didn't have to pay attention to that part.
My impulse is definitely just to try to play it correctly at like 6 bpm. Which isn't working so far.
-
We're learning this (http://youtu.be/qNxfPAF1frM). Unfortunately, in that one Tom Petty appears to have some sort of allergies or nasal infection.
This (http://youtu.be/X8o_GEfCptE) is a much better version. Plus it shows the bass player.
-
We're learning this (http://youtu.be/qNxfPAF1frM). Unfortunately, in that one Tom Petty appears to have some sort of allergies or nasal infection.
This (http://youtu.be/X8o_GEfCptE) is a much better version. Plus it shows the bass player.
At first I thought you were talking about how the crowd was singing for him, but then I thought you were making a joke about how he kept rubbing his nose, insinuating he was on cocaine. Then I realized he has a naturally nasally voice and always sounds like he has allergies. What I'm trying to say is I have no idea what you are getting at.
Anywho... I had to watch this (http://youtu.be/RiztRc910Ps) to see if he still does that head shaking freakout 15 years later. Apparently he's going in another direction these days.
That song doesn't lend itself well to an extended jam. there's not enough meat on the bones. It get's real boring after about 3 minutes.
-
quesadilla (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwtqpy81H5g)-walk the moon
what is this i dont even
this song is really good and exactly what i wanted to hear.
-
Oh Paul, he is clearly coked straight to the gills.
Also, I never noticed how much he looks like John Elway.
-
Slanted and Enchanted! Ahh yeah.
-
Hell yeah.
Also, science (http://www.mni.mcgill.ca/media/news/item/?item_id=170538) explains why I have had Midnight City (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3k_QDnzHE) on repeat for the last hour.
-
The Osmond Brothers full on Rockin' Out (http://youtu.be/iXcj8dFOd1E)!
-
The Osmond Brothers full on Rockin' Out (http://youtu.be/iXcj8dFOd1E)!
that is the hot stanky shit.
-
The Osmond Brothers full on Rockin' Out (http://youtu.be/iXcj8dFOd1E)!
Man I loved that song when I was 8.
-
This (http://youtu.be/7vzUh_55x2M) pretty much rules. I think I'm gonna go see them tonight after the St. Jack's Party.
-
Apparently they played Pinball Wizard while I was parking the car. Didn't hear Lithium. We were about a half hour late. They ended the show with Something in the Air (http://youtu.be/gvXVP1ucAFU).
-
This (http://youtu.be/7vzUh_55x2M) pretty much rules. I think I'm gonna go see them tonight after the St. Jack's Party.
I loved everything about that except the main guy. I'm an asshole, and I own that, but that guy bugged the shit out of me.
-
I loved everything about that except the main guy. I'm an asshole, and I own that, but that guy bugged the shit out of me.
I kinda agree with you. I love the idea of Polyphonic Spree a lot more than I actually love Polyphonic Spree. They could be so much better if that dude was only a better songwriter. They totally punish on the covers though.
-
I Am Woman (http://youtu.be/mmifO2sKT7g). What?
I randomly found it linked here (http://www.kindertrauma.com/). Oh, now what?
Also, More Today Than Yesterday (http://youtu.be/YuqHlv1YPe0).
-
This weekend I wanted to see The Artist but I got talked into the seeing Attack the Block instead.
That worked out pretty well.
-
I Am Woman (http://youtu.be/mmifO2sKT7g). What?
I randomly found it linked here (http://www.kindertrauma.com/). Oh, now what?
Also, More Today Than Yesterday (http://youtu.be/YuqHlv1YPe0).
That's some jam ther.
-
I, of course, am listening to DK today.
Research note:
In the late 1960s, Klaus Flouride played in the band Magic Terry & The Universe, which included 1980s rock singer Billy Squier.
Did I know that? It seems like I couldn't have, but also like I did. Upon more research, they toured on a bill with Ten Years After. Look at these crazy shows (http://www.theamericanrevolution.fm/boston-tea-party-schedule-1967---1970.html)!
-
In January 1970, the MC5 opened for The Staple Singers!
Btw, I had no idea at all that Klaus Flouride went back as far as that.
-
This weekend I wanted to see The Artist but I got talked into the seeing Attack the Block instead.
That worked out pretty well.
Damnit, this was entirely in the wrong thread.
-
Well, since you actually went to a movie you could listen to, like, it kinda fits actually.
-
Damnit, this was entirely in the wrong thread.
Attack the Block was featured prominently in the link I posted so I just thought "Hey, Doc clicks my links". I'll go back to thinking everyone skips them.
-
darling nikki (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XmxijQfMow)-prince
what a big little freaky sumbitch
-
darling nikki (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XmxijQfMow)-prince
what a big little freaky sumbitch
I love me some Prince.
And then these crazy motherfuckers try it (http://youtu.be/mG7uJUqxFYY). It looks like there's a real camera recording this show. I'd like to see that.
-
I love me some Prince.
And then these crazy motherfuckers try it (http://youtu.be/mG7uJUqxFYY). It looks like there's a real camera recording this show. I'd like to see that.
FF just released a limited pressing vinyl album* of covers called "medium rare" and that song is on it. (the structure of that sentence is kinda dogshit, but you catch what im throwing)
*is that redundant?
-
I've only heard the Foo Fighters version of Darling Nikki. It got a lot of radio play in like 2000.
-
Look at these crazy shows (http://www.theamericanrevolution.fm/boston-tea-party-schedule-1967---1970.html)!
Holy shit! Dirty John's Hot Dog!
-
Holy shit! Dirty John's Hot Dog!
I don't quite know how to put this, but when I was reading that list I was thinking "I wish I was reading this with Paul".
-
Lots of Nas and Raekwon. Trying to get someone to recommend me some blogs to read to learn about modern hip hop. I think I am supposed to listen to Mix Tapes? What is the good mix tape right now?
-
Reelin' in the Years (http://youtu.be/wsrI_mIT6PQ) off the Old Grey Whistle Test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Grey_Whistle_Test). Skunk appears to forget what band he's in toward the end there.
-
Reelin' in the Years (http://youtu.be/wsrI_mIT6PQ) off the Old Grey Whistle Test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Grey_Whistle_Test). Skunk appears to forget what band he's in toward the end there.
Wow, that was kick ass. I haven't seen that before. The video title says 1978, but David Palmer was in the band so it had to be 1972-3.
And Nabu, I would love to peruse an old concert list with you. Ha! Let's do that sometime.
-
Wow, that was kick ass. I haven't seen that before. The video title says 1978, but David Palmer was in the band so it had to be 1972-3.
And Nabu, I would love to peruse an old concert list with you. Ha! Let's do that sometime.
We need to do something sometime, that's for sure. I don't think the DC/VA/Atlantic Seaboard trip is going to happen until at least this fall (Hawaii first).
-
We need to do something sometime, that's for sure. I don't think the DC/VA/Atlantic Seaboard trip is going to happen until at least this fall (Hawaii first).
BOO TO THAT
-
Hey, I'm not made of glavin, y'know.
-
I've posted Mother Popcorn several times, but today I'm just listening to plain Popcorn (http://youtu.be/CquvDLrjgYU) (although it wasn't that version, until I went searching).
-
Jesus the internet. I was listening to "Hot Child in the City", by Vancouverite Nick Gilder.
Who was in the band Sweeney Todd before his solo career.
Whose second album featured a 15-year-old Bryan Adams.
Also, Gilder co-wrote Scandal's "The Warrior".
-
Jesus the internet. I was listening to "Hot Child in the City", by Vancouverite Nick Gilder.
Who was in the band Sweeney Todd before his solo career.
Whose second album featured a 15-year-old Bryan Adams.
Also, Gilder co-wrote Scandal's "The Warrior".
only two more connections and you get kevin bacon.
-
Seriously, I have to stop with the internet. Bryan Adams playing Young Lust at the Berlin Wall (http://youtu.be/26Q3Hldwmb8)? That really happened? Why? And then Sinéad* and Roger Waters, backed up by The Band, playing Mother (http://youtu.be/gZ2tluarzZs)? I don't know if I missed this because I was on acid then, or I'm on acid now.
Good on Snowy White, though.
*I'm always surprised to forget and then remember how beautiful she is.
-
Ok folks, one more tune and then we can all go home. Here's another Canadian product: The Little Guitar Army (http://youtu.be/MF720JBhc40).
-
Ok folks, one more tune and then we can all go home. Here's another Canadian product: The Little Guitar Army (http://youtu.be/MF720JBhc40).
ROCK! also, the big hairy dude looks like he's playing a child-sized guitar.
also, unrelated:
the fox(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk3O38cXQOI)-nickelcreek
-
Love them. Throwin' down Subterranean Homesick Blues all up in. For some ridiculous reason I did not see them (ok, the one dude or whatever) play the show in PDX with the guy from Toad the Wet Sprocket and John Paul Jones. I think because I am dumb.
Also, it's not relevant but those are some beautiful people right there. I kind of like my musicians to be craggly, like Iggy Pop.
Also also, it turns out it was indeed all three of them on that tour.
-
Fiona Apple and Elvis Costello, "I Want You" (http://youtu.be/cAJ2HK2Epqs).
If you listen to that and it isn't a thing, you are probably a robot.
-
Lots of Nas and Raekwon. Trying to get someone to recommend me some blogs to read to learn about modern hip hop. I think I am supposed to listen to Mix Tapes? What is the good mix tape right now?
I don't read any rap blogs (or any music blogs, really) but I remember one time I found some leaked track or something and in the comments on that page someone asked if it was found on Nah Right (http://nahright.com/news/). The person who uploaded the track was all, "what's Nah Right?" But I guess it's a blog to read to learn about modern hip hop?
-
miles, are you really George Lucas?
(tcodp for first to get this.)
-
THX 1138, as in the number of cans miles has.
-
THX 1138, as in the number of cans miles has.
I forgot about you.
-
Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say
But nothin comes out when they move their lips
Just a buncha gibberish
And muthafuckas act like they forgot about Jaded Tersk
-
Fair enough.
-
To Bryan Adams. I'll give you a hint: you should not be proud of your career.
-
*I'm always surprised to forget and then remember how beautiful she is.
It's the bald head that throws me off.
-
The Little Guitar Army (http://youtu.be/MF720JBhc40).
A whole phalanx of guitars could be interesting if done right. But a whole phalanx of guitars playing exactly the same notes is not that.
They should try something like this (http://youtu.be/m4FvKM29TqU) so all of those guitars have something to do.
-
the fox(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk3O38cXQOI)-nickelcreek
I enjoy Nicklecreek, but they always leave me a little cold. They're just so precise. I don't know.
-
One dude covers Bohemian Rhapsody (http://youtu.be/2Iiy_YfpVn0). Apparently he's the guitar player for BOC.
Oh look, there's another one (http://youtu.be/4TriVCB_WXQ). He's actually a better singer, but the other version is better.
-
It's the bald head that throws me off.
Supposedly that's why she did it. She knew she could make it on looks alone, but didn't want to.
-
Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say
But nothin comes out when they move their lips
Just a buncha gibberish
And muthafuckas act like they forgot about Jaded Tersk
Beautifully played, sir.
I fuck*ng love that album, too.
-
It's the bald head that throws me off.
She can pull it off, though.
I enjoy Nicklecreek, but they always leave me a little cold. They're just so precise. I don't know.
I get that. It gots to be a little dirty.
-
Yeah, the bald head . . . to me, that has zero impact. When she was younger, I think the bald head might have even contributed to the ethereal quality of her beauty. She's still beautiful today. Here she is trying to hack her way through a song she doesn't quite remember (http://youtu.be/yfGGIoSp10Y). It's awesome.
-
A whole phalanx of guitars could be interesting if done right. But a whole phalanx of guitars playing exactly the same notes is not that.
They should try something like this (http://youtu.be/m4FvKM29TqU) so all of those guitars have something to do.
Did you . . . um . . . did you say something about too many fuck*ng guitars (http://youtu.be/lQwHPI75jaY)?
-
Did you . . . um . . . did you say something about too many fuck*ng guitars (http://youtu.be/lQwHPI75jaY)?
No, I did not.
-
Well, that's too bad, because that's definitely what you just got.
-
This is catchy (http://youtu.be/9yEWZUNENkg), if not particularly empathetic.
-
conquest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dekiuwZhRIU)-patti page
(i dig the white stripes cover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L7FuA8Rry8&ob=av2e), too.)
-
conquest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dekiuwZhRIU)-patti page
I had no idea that was a cover.
-
I had no idea that was a cover.
i am proud to have stumped one of the music encyclopedias of the group.
-
Champagne and Reefer (http://youtu.be/_96cCukoklc), Muddy Waters and the Stones.
From that video, I bet Tom Jones doesn't have this happen (http://youtu.be/_96cCukoklc?t=1m40s).
-
Meet me at the bottom, bring me my running shoes. I come out the window, don't have no time to lose (http://youtu.be/P8UCOBajM9o).
Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.
Unless he asks you to everyone is cool with it.
-
piano cover of "everlong" (http://youtu.be/iwWLpXuqAjk)
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-jZvpnGLqc
Tonight though, this, with an awesome girl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOtgoGAWtKc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJlQ_l9IV7Y
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-jZvpnGLqc
Never heard that before. Which one of those guys are you?
Tonight though, this, with an awesome girl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOtgoGAWtKc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJlQ_l9IV7Y
That shit is delicious.
31 Spindrift videos? Don't mind if I do - might keep this evening from going to shit.
-
Seriously, that Spindrift is the shit. I think I'm going to try to ape a bit of La Noche Mas Oscura when I'm home. How hard could it be.
I guess right now I'm listening to Phil Lynott and the Greedy Bastards (Steve Jones, Gary Moore, Paul Cook, Brian Downey, Chris Spedding, and Jimmy Bain) cover Stevie Wonder (http://youtu.be/zjHH5iVO3rI). I wish it was a better recording. I also wish I had more of their stuff.
Also, Thin Lizzy cover Stevie (http://youtu.be/aQrRqG1FEYA).
-
i believe i can fly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX_EQHvxTG4)-me first and the gimme gimmes
-
PAT BENATAR TUESDAY MY MIGGROIDS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qUFZwJb9GA)
The world can not have enough Pat Benatar.
she has the voice of an angel that kicks your ass.
-
Mandate my ass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLtRHN7fsgY&feature=related
Ray-gun.
-
Lots of Wilco.
My Wilco jag started when I happened upon this (http://youtu.be/2XH5Hr1XlM0) awesome recording of Muzzle of Bees. Next I found this (http://youtu.be/uz6UrYvacQk) great video of Art of Almost from their new album. Watch out, it starts out like an electronic tweakfest, but turns into a guitar freakout on the back end. Woah! That progressed to this (http://youtu.be/wp1AIh2DkI0) rendition of Handshake Drugs from the same program. I love how this song starts like a middle of the road rocker and they are just blazing by the time they are finished. After that I looked up this (http://youtu.be/VoK0F-b86bY) video of their performance on Austin City Limits back in 2004. I actually have the audio tracks from this performance, but I've never seen the video.
Since then I've cued them up on my itunes and have been listening to them pretty much non stop for the past two days.
-
Man, Sunken Treasure and Misunderstood still have me listening to Wilco (not to mention Summerteeth and all those classics on their first.)
-
Also, so much southern culture on the skids this afternoon. this album is so good: http://www.allmusic.com/album/zombified-r383952/review
also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2psPpYcDL8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl57c45-elg
not on same album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUP5rwVNJko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieSNRTzwWo&feature=related
-
Jazz-women.
-
I've had Raspberries (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybB6BWvb6bk) in my head all afternoon.
-
Robert Cray is right next door (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEm_Yr8v2qM) to me with his still hot smoking gun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gQEDwjhaDE) and I bet his problems ain't about nothing but a woman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNz_t-wE5VQ&feature=channel).
There's a dude I've always thought should be much, MUCH more popular than he is. There's no accounting for the tastes of the American public, I guess.
-
There's a dude I've always thought should be much, MUCH more popular than he is. There's no accounting for the tastes of the American public, I guess.
He's about as popular as an artist can get playing retro music.
-
I've had Raspberries (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybB6BWvb6bk) in my head all afternoon.
Thanks for the Raspberries fix.
-
bound for the floor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Oe5YKhzCE&ob=av2e)-local h
some teenage nostalgia for all us youngbucks up ins.
-
I accidentally listened to String Cheese Incident (http://youtu.be/i8h1rWT_PHA).
-
I'd so much rather listen to Robert Cray than Eric Clapton.
-
How (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxwacMEgepo) did this become a day for these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekL7o8BQkZM) Milwaukee dudes?
I don't know but I can add it up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHapDS2fcFE) just fine.
the drummer plays standing up? that is the shit on toast, mang!
-
the drummer plays standing up? that is the shit on toast, mang!
I don't like the stand up drummer. It ain't natural.
-
I don't like the stand up drummer. It ain't natural.
I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time.
-
more unnatural stand-up drumming:
freaks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB5mL8VkEsk)-os catalepticos
-
Southern Culture on the Skids! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CECHkApKTVM)
-
Southern Culture on the Skids! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CECHkApKTVM)
i never really went out of my way to hear these guys and im sorry now. im definitely going to do more research.
-
I can't stop listening to this joint (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh4Tgefxm3M). What is this? It feels like an intermediate stop between Buck Owens/Merle Haggard and... the Eagles or something?
Who else plays this awesome Country-Rock eeasy breazy stuff? Flying Burrito Bros are not quite it.
-
You are familiar with Uncle Tupelo, then, right?
-
I bought one of their albums and really don't like it. I like their acoustic stuff, but when the "alternative" guitars kick in I turn it off. I will check out their later stuff maybe.
-
I can't stop listening to this joint (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh4Tgefxm3M). What is this? It feels like an intermediate stop between Buck Owens/Merle Haggard and... the Eagles or something?
Who else plays this awesome Country-Rock eeasy breazy stuff? Flying Burrito Bros are not quite it.
Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g_VBUHqD-4) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9uyMjzmT3k&feature=related) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqUUqnjxwqk&feature=related)?
Can't think of anybody.
-
Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g_VBUHqD-4) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9uyMjzmT3k&feature=related) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqUUqnjxwqk&feature=related)?
Can't think of anybody.
Heh heh. Give that man a can!
-
Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g_VBUHqD-4) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9uyMjzmT3k&feature=related) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqUUqnjxwqk&feature=related)?
Oh Shiiiiiiit!
-
I can't stop listening to this joint (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh4Tgefxm3M). What is this? It feels like an intermediate stop between Buck Owens/Merle Haggard and... the Eagles or something?
Who else plays this awesome Country-Rock eeasy breazy stuff? Flying Burrito Bros are not quite it.
Oh shit! I thought I was the only one who loved that song! It was like my secret Neil Young classic. I even have a scene for a movie that doesn't have a plot or any characters but that features that song vividly constructed in my mind.
So it's not really what you're going for but now that you have me thinking about Neil Young, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqAE1B0Ld5E) is another one I love that I don't hear most fans talk about. And also a lot of the stuff from On the Beach, but I think I remember LFM saying he is a big fan of that album. I'll get on a kick where I'll listen to Ambulance Blues on repeat for two hours straight without even noticing it. Also, Motion Pictures: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdT07UdqsX0
-
now that you have me thinking about Neil Young, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqAE1B0Ld5E) is another one I love that I don't hear most fans talk about.
I love that song so much. If we're on the subject of under appreciated Neil Young songs try this (http://youtu.be/ynlW5_rnRVE).
-
I even have a scene for a movie that doesn't have a plot or any characters but that features that song vividly constructed in my mind.
so, like a video?
-
Bought a mess of CDs (yes, CDs!) the other day, all new in packaging, all $5. That is now my price point for CDs. Wow.
I've always run down the Black Crowes because their best song is an Otis Redding cover. Of course, it now occurs to me that most bands, if they did an Otis Redding cover that didn't suck, that would be their best song. I'm slow sometimes.
-
I dig the Black Crowes. Their best album is their second one, Southern Harmony and Musical Companion. Sure, they rip off Exile era Stones wholesale, but they are really good at it.
-
Yeah, I'm ok with the Black Crowes. I think I have most of their stuff (Amorica's my favorite, of course strictly for the cover). I just thought that concept was fun.
Indeed, since I hate CCR, I feel the same way about them and Marvin Gaye. Sorry, everybody!
-
milk & honey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vtKz6YwSD4)-beatsteaks
some fun german powerpop
-
Is today a Dick Dale (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e55mPUvMBKQ) day?
Oh we should all get use some Dick today. Or DD's if you prefer.
Don't limit yourself - you can always have both.
I'd have added a link, but no one would have clicked, so why bother.
-
I feel the same way about them and Marvin Gaye. Sorry, everybody!
You better be fuckin' sorry! You do NOT say bad things about Marvin Gaye in my presence.
If there was a church that based its worship service around What's Going On (the whole album), I would totally go to that church.
-
I like CCR. Especially Green River.
-
Today is dripping in Black Sunshine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqPClltS5k8).
how could dude leave that homeless surfer hippie nightmare?
-
You better be fuckin' sorry! You do NOT say bad things about Marvin Gaye in my presence.
If there was a church that based its worship service around What's Going On (the whole album), I would totally go to that church.
I thought Nabu was saying that the fact that CCR's best song is a Marvin Gaye cover just adds to his hate of CCR.
At least, that better be what you meant, because if you meant that you hate Marvin Gaye, fuck you!
-
I like CCR too. Fuck you fuck*ng guys. You fuck*ng fucks are fucked up.
Fuckers.
-
CCR is a good band. they have good songs. they dont give me a boner but i dont hate them.
-
How the fuck do you not like Marvin Gaye?
-
How the fuck do you not like Marvin Gaye?
I don't know. Maybe we should ask his dad.
-
and a rough chuckles can goes to auggie
-
man, CCR are so good. I don't think their best song is Grapevine.
-
Man, CCR can suck it just like Springsteen and CougarCamp.
Whenever people insult fake-populist bullshit rock, an angel gets its wings.
-
much better we all listen to fake-intellectual jackoff rock or fake-good hair rock.
-
And Tom Waits.
-
much better we all listen to fake-intellectual jackoff rock or fake-good hair rock.
THIS!!!
It's show business. To a certain extent it's ALL fake. Everybody's putting on an act.
So what?
What level of authenticity is acceptable to you, and how do you measure authenticity anyway?
-
I was about to insert this video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nyoWmkhRyp8)
-
Stop it! Stop it! There is a whole other internet out there for you to have stupid arguments like this! This is what I come here to get away from!
I swear to god that next time an argument like this about music happens I am going to take 1000 cans away from everyone who gets involved.
-
I don't have 1000 cans to take so pffft!
-
Thanks Aug (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02282008)
-
You people don't know that I love Marvin Gaye? How in the fuck - I thought we were friends!
-
Seriously, you even have that rad Marvin Gaye DVD! What the fuck is wrong with y'all?
Sorry I ever doubted you.
-
Bastards of Young (http://youtu.be/fl9KQ1Mub6Q), YT advertisement cognitive dissonance edition.
-
I watched Urgh! A Music War all the way through for the first time towards the end of last year. It'll give you the 1982-iest boner you ever had.
-
Hey, keep it clean out here.
I just finished listening to Android Warehouse, the abortive demos by Fagen and Becker. Holy shit are those rough.
-
Lot's of D.R.I. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVqDjpk_2hg), Circle Jerks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iExJ2Jtlnlo), The Adicts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqW1F1jmBcw), you get the idea.
fuck yeah thrash and oldcore!
-
It's your Bad Luck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQOJY4NXYzM) if you do not dig the Social D.
Hell Yeah. So Cal Comfort tune right there.
-
I feel like an old fucker but I used to love DRI and now I can't fuck*ng stand that dude's voice. He's like the Billy Corgan of punk.
-
This song (http://youtu.be/Nkj7vzrdC0A) makes me feel very emotional.
-
I think maybe it's come to the point where I need to tell you all that my favourite song of all time is "Golden Hours" by Eno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxFDPdCuasY
-
Oh man Eno, specifically Another Green World!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFz50q_QmfE&feature=related
-
Oh man Eno, specifically Another Green World!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFz50q_QmfE&feature=related
Fuck yes, although that is my fourth-favourite song from that album? Here are my number two and three:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-3djUYgebU
http://youtu.be/lCCJc_V8_MQ
-
It's your Bad Luck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQOJY4NXYzM) if you do not dig the Social D.
I ate pizza with Social Distortion in 1991.
-
I ate pizza with Social Distortion in 1991.
Personally, I like anchovies on mine.
-
I've always leaned "Here Come The Warm Jets" myself but most of his stuff is great.
-
Big Women (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJG83DkSgEs&feature=related).
i know that feel
-
I've been listening to a bunch of fuckheads talk about work all day today, so fuck that. Plus I was crazy hungover.
-
What a wonderful punch line. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lguvLMuQeI)
Man, I love me some minutemen, never heard that, awesome.
Also, your punch line line got me thinking about this, stay til the end (oh, and the punch line is political and mean (and awesome). Sorry.)
Bishop Allen- Abe Lincoln: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVHekOLBUfQ
-
I sing this song while I ride my bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIri9YLHpOg
-
caffeine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcIHT1mmTTM)-the dillinger escape plan
a little screamy, thrashy, polyrhythmic hardcore.
-
crimson and clover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdhonK8NMm8)-joan jett
just because delicious
-
crimson and clover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdhonK8NMm8)-joan jett
I've always preferred the original (http://youtu.be/GpGEeneO-t0) to Joan Jett's tone deaf version.
-
I've always preferred the original (http://youtu.be/GpGEeneO-t0) to Joan Jett's tone deaf version.
Damn, it's been a while. I fuck*ng love this song.
-
Dang, I love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GweIiICisag) me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F945LQG6fuA&feature=related) some (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCnd9lEjhOA&feature=related) Procol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRDwb7TLBJM&feature=related) Harum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcWH6OtGexM).
one more (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5qLkUvwG9M&feature=fvst)
-
Dang, I love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GweIiICisag) me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F945LQG6fuA&feature=related) some (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCnd9lEjhOA&feature=related) Procol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRDwb7TLBJM&feature=related) Harum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcWH6OtGexM).
one more (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5qLkUvwG9M&feature=fvst)
I also love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw-btrdpOG0) me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kWdf5pw0Gs) some (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbeh-O--BwI) Procol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWs0jnaGjg8) Harum! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBN0mgignNk)
-
Black Moth Super Rainbow, mostly:
Gold Splatter - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX-5YVVeULA&NR=1&feature=endscreen
Old Yes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=dPO2lz7vICY
Happy Melted City - www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=dPO2lz7vICY
-
See Also: Tobacco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHBoOb2WafM
-
See Also: Tobacco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHBoOb2WafM
Fuckin' A. God bless related videos.
-
Dang, I love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GweIiICisag) me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F945LQG6fuA&feature=related) some (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCnd9lEjhOA&feature=related) Procol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRDwb7TLBJM&feature=related) Harum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcWH6OtGexM).
one more (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5qLkUvwG9M&feature=fvst)
I also love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw-btrdpOG0) me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kWdf5pw0Gs) some (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbeh-O--BwI) Procol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWs0jnaGjg8) Harum! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBN0mgignNk)
That was a lot of fun. Thanks!
-
That's a fuck*ng abrupt avatar change.
-
That's a fuck*ng abrupt avatar change.
The little fella is not really easy on the eyes, is he? That's "Favelito" (uhm, "Slummy", "Shanty"?), a character created by incensed Argentinians to mock Brazilians. I find it very comical (the original pic has him waving two pistols w/ one foot on top of a soccer ball).
-
What do you gals and guys think of this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_tOvPAKEHo
BTW: Have failed to figure out clever insertion of link into text on this board, and feel pretty foolish as a result.
-
Second row of buttons, third button from left (the planet with the little sheet of paper in the lower tight, hovertext reads "insert hyperlink").
[url = linkie blah blah blah] this is what you want your link to say [/url].
Remove extraneous spaces and you're done.
-
I thank you for your efforts. However, even with such expert help, I still fall short. Which is weird, because I've never had this problem anywhere else.
It couldn't be down to my browser (Chrome) could it? Or is my shame making me look elsewhere for blame?
-
It couldn't be down to my browser (Chrome) could it? Or is my shame making me look elsewhere for blame?
I don't know, I ain't know shit about computers.
-
It is goddamn St. Patrick's Day. What do you think I'm listening to (http://youtu.be/qwplKyneJzU)?
-
This? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kZ4bPQfg-Q)
-
This? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kZ4bPQfg-Q)
Not a bad call, but no. I'm afraid that in my own little world, Mr. Teeth lands just below Philo.
-
Alas, although Phil recognized his demons (http://youtu.be/qwplKyneJzU?t=31m41s), that awareness didn't save him.
-
Hey Nabu, what's the best Thin Lizzy album?
-
Way too much of a fan to be unbiased, but I would probably go with the cliche recommendation of Jailbreak to someone who doesn't already listen to them. It's got their three real solid songs on it, and not all the keyboards that they got into at the end, plus it avoids the sort of hippy stuff their earlier albums get into. The thing is that most of their albums have some real vanity-type stuff on them. Renegade has some pretty tough songs to listen to. Having said that, anything from Fighting to Black Rose is solid.
A fellow could PM me for more information.
-
Unbiased opinions are worthless in rock n roll. I'll try Jailbreak out and hit you up for more recommendations.
Right now I'm on vacation and sick, but I'm only visiting my parents so whatever, except that I had to miss a Parliament Funkadelic show last night. So I'm listening to Funkadelic right now. I don't know if music gets better than:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9MgoRIXEqc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0DLMLlDu-s (best part right here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=b0DLMLlDu-s#t=117s) for a minute or so)
and especially: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rrOdcnFbAY
I have been reading about the band online and came up on this sentence in Wikipedia:
The impact of Tate's writing lies in the seminal productive tensions he navigates between post-structural theory and black cultural nationalism; academia and street culture.
I have some drugs in my system and never sleep well anyway so I'm pretty groggy, but man, it took me like a full 45 seconds to get any traction on that sentence at all.
-
I think I am going to miss the show in PDX. I already missed them in Alaska once (at the ski resort - although I did see Dread Zeppelin there).
-
I was listening to Thin Lizzy because they were mentioned on here and it occurred to me that they were Irish and I felt in the spirit of St. Patrick's day. Now I am listening to Rory Gallagher (http://youtu.be/WGMnSFAVVDE).
-
Found the craziest YT of Thin Lizzy from The Old Gray Whistle Test today. Gary Moore sang half of the song, and it had Cozy Powell on drums (I was pretty sure no one but Brian Downey had ever played drums for them).
Holy fuck just this moment on my quick scavenger hunt to find out when Brian was out of the band (it's going to take me a bit - no evidence so far) I came across this little bit of news (http://www.nme.com/news/thin-lizzy/61238), indicating that 700 (seven-Christing-hundred!) unreleased songs by Thin Lizzy have just recently been discovered, and there's at least a boxed set coming out at some point.
A) would not have found out about this - at least not this evening - without you folks, so thanks all for the inspiration.
B) this is like . . . Hmm . . . Wombles and Ash finding out that there's piles of unreleased Oingo Boingo that's been discovered and is coming out? I don't know. For me the real only comparison would be Marvin or early-70s era Stevie (there might be some of that, actually).
C) some of it is almost certainly crap, and I know and don't care. I have some horrendous BL Thin Lizzy and I can listen to it all day long. They're probably the only band I feel that way about (I don't like bad Hendrix or Jack White, for instance).
D) some of the stuff that I already have could have made it onto albums, and it would be nice to see if there are cuts that are more polished.
E) not certain how it works, but if they release 50 tracks in a set, the other 650 will be out there somewhere, I'll wager.
I am more shocked by this news than by the news that the Chargers took Whitehurst back and cut Volek!
-
I'm guessing it will trickle out over the next couple of years.
-
one armed scissor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ge6ttcFrvA)-at the drive-in
-
one armed scissor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ge6ttcFrvA)-at the drive-in
Fuck Yeah. Love that jam.
-
Clutch.
-
So strange to listen to Ozzy live. He spends the whole show berating the audience "louder! I can't fuck*ng hear you! Put some balls into it!" and wraps up at the end telling everyone how much he loves them. The life of a frontman must be odd.
-
And now I am listening to Sun o))).
-
So strange to listen to Ozzy live. He spends the whole show berating the audience "louder! I can't fuck*ng hear you! Put some balls into it!" and wraps up at the end telling everyone how much he loves them.
I've seen Ozzy several times and never noticed it being that way, but I got the Black Sabbath Reunion Live Album a couple of years ago and he's fuck*ng obnoxious on that thing. Between every song and sometimes right in the middle of the song he's berating the crowd to make more noise. Here's (http://youtu.be/AhljnovMMqA) a good example of this. I'm wondering if that's a recent development? The last time I saw him was in about 91-2. The Reunion album was put out in 98. Dunno.
Anyway, my respect for him started to fall when he made that horrible reality show with his horrible wife and horrible kids. The bottom fell out when I learned that Geezer wrote Sabbath's lyrics.
Regardless, Sabbath (http://youtu.be/ReuBms-qZQk) still (http://youtu.be/tYu-YBi8FDQ) rules (http://youtu.be/f3mkaPFFHHw).
-
maybe he legit cant hear them?
-
All the live shit I've seen/heard after he went solo seems to be that way. Can't argue the GKA theory, though.
-
this might be my first post in this thread, but i'm not gonna cortjstr that.
i just got home from seeing thomas dolby in a tiny venue with about 300 other people. great show, and his newer songs are way better than i expected. i'm not even a fan, really, but i had a great time with those free tickets. thanks, mysterious benefactor!
-
Dolby played a free show here last Tuesday and I wanted to go, mainly because some friends were gonna be there, but I never really liked Thomas Dolby much so I was lame and stayed home.
-
the best song of the show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfDnd5LdHBo) was the first song of the encore. the last song before the encore was 'blinded me with silence' and it was damned good too, of course.
-
'blinded me with silence'
Is that a John Cage number?
-
heh.
-
That's worth a canning if anything is.
-
For those of you not on the Facebooks, here's a thing I put together about the music of my college radio days. There's a Spotify playlist linked, too.
http://www.bigfool.com/foolblog/archive/2012_03.htm#001301
I am sitting here rocking out to the Ned's Atomic Dustbin song with a big dopey grin on my face. Both because of the song and the memories associated with it.
-
I am really, really mad, because when I tried to download all my old radio shows it came up saying "shows from this date have been Archived."
Where "archived" meant... DELETED FOREVER.
-
Nazareth, Hollis Brown (http://youtu.be/pnYfIos4CqY). Iggy and the Stooges (http://youtu.be/TqZBs8UZzTs) do a version (which is just them dicking around in the studio, I'm reading). But maybe you heard this one (http://youtu.be/ljq0CI8pTOw).
-
Hüsker Dü (http://youtu.be/TWbOD-V7w7U), to switch it up.
-
Harry motherlicking Pussy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=linA2iFVvcY
-
Harry motherlicking Pussy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=linA2iFVvcY
Single YT comment: "this should play at every messy bank heist and/or wedding"
Anything that inspires that sort of thing is ok in my book.
-
James Gang (http://youtu.be/7WOaZ_ltCGE).
And yes, that is apparently a Tommy Bolin tribute band. I can't explain it either. Dude sounds a lot like him, though.
-
Yeah, I'd like to talk to you about booking my band.
Ok.
Uhm, yeah, we're called Teazer, we're a Tommy Bolin tribute band.
Tommy Bolin? Never heard of him.
Uh yeah, he played in James Gang.
Never heard of them either.
No? They had lots of hits back in the '70s. Joe Walsh was in the band.
Oh? (Suddenly interested) So you're gonna be playing Joe Walsh songs?
Uh no, Tommy Bolin wasn't in the band when Joe Walsh was with them.
Huh.
He also played in Deep Purple.
Oh really, so you guys play Smoke on the Water?
Uh no, Tommy Bolin wasn't in the band when they recorded Smoke on the Water.
So did Tommy Bolin have any hits of his own?
Yeah, he had a song called Post Toastie.
I don't remember that one.
Oh yeah, it's a cool song about od'ing on heroin.
uh... ok. Well leave your info and we'll get back with you.
-
Yeah, and that Post Toastee song? It's the last song he played . . . before he OD'ed on heroin.
So, timely!
No, yeah, I can show myself out, sure.
-
Speaking of that, what's the opposite of a senseless drug overdose? Is there such a thing as a sensible one? I don't know if that would be an OD that a horribly reprehensible person had or an OD on Mylanta or something.
-
Ok, I know I've been monopolizing this thread a bit, but Hawkwind, Sonic Attack (http://youtu.be/PHe64trLKKE). People took shit seriously back then.
-
Does anybody up in this piece read Christgau?
-
Does anybody up in this piece read Christgau?
I think I used to many years ago. Didn't he write for Rolling Stone? It's been a long time.
-
I think I used to many years ago. Didn't he write for Rolling Stone? It's been a long time.
He wrote for pretty much everybody. Jesus that guy's a dick.
-
Does anybody up in this piece read Christgau?
Not particularly, but I thought of him the other day. He interviewed me for this article, but I didn't make the final copy.
http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/rock/cmj-91.php
-
Everyone should email sunnyaliandthekid@gmail.com and ask for their new album, then listen to the track redrum. It is fuck*ng sick.
Only one track is on youtube and they give you their shit for free, so I won't put it on, but here is a track from their new album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjdsQ53r7Dc and here are their (the?) best two songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFGE7jV__zM
Actually, this might be their best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3zqlvtQutM
Also, all of their stuff is available for whatever you can give them/free on their bandcamp. You only have to email for the most recent one. Here is that: http://sunnyaliandthekid.bandcamp.com/
-
Did I mention I inflicted Ween on my office-mate for like four days?
"What the fuck is this shit?"
"Same band that played that country song you liked so much."
-
"its gonna be a long night" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUO4bMRuT9Y) would be my favorite ween song.
-
This Ween song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk6B2kDljas) is one of the best weird-ass songs ever.
Did you know: if Google is to be believed, four people have Flickr photos titled "Mister Won't You Please Help My Pony." One of them is me. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigfool/2781689562/)
-
You know that this is my favorite Ween song (http://youtu.be/Ko36A0yyMEQ). Because it's clear Dean and Gene have listened to this song an awful lot (http://youtu.be/Unnh0T2Ftro).
Side note, my beautiful wife plays that Ween song every morning as she gets ready for work. Because she's just that fuck*ng cool.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tvJvh_87i4
I can't get enough of this ween song.
-
I finally got around to checking out the most recent Kate Bush album, and it's good. But mostly it's just made me listen to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM) all the fuck*ng time.
And also because I think the Pogues were mentioned recently, I've been listening to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTLc22RWDVY&feature=related) over and over in my car.
-
Kate Bush is a god-like genius, but I only listened to the new album once. My reaction was that I might listen to it one more time, but I doubted I'd listen to it over and over again. I still bought it, because she fits into that grouping of people I unconditionally support.
Maybe when I give it that second listen eventually, I'll want a third listen.
-
I file Kate Bush under more music from the 80s that doesn't do anything for me.
-
Well, that's Morrissey, Depeche Mode and Kate Bush. Clearly, that British New Wave sound that came about post-punk is not your thing. To be fair, all of them have released music consistently into the 90's, 00's and beyond, so maybe 80's music is doing them an injustice of sorts, but I know what you mean.
-
After the conversation above, I was sure that was gonna be 'Instant Club Hit (You'll Dance to Anything)'.
-
Clearly, that British New Wave sound that came about post-punk is not your thing.
It's not just them. All of my favorite bands from the 70s took (http://youtu.be/BSXJMBvvWHQ) 3 (http://youtu.be/OtJmVDoY904) shits (http://youtu.be/Fh8Ic6MbtoU) and (http://youtu.be/-i7TNaIAGew) died (http://youtu.be/TZtiJN6yiik) in the 80s. The 80s were also the era of glam metal, the rise of Christian Pop, 12" Extended Play remixes (http://youtu.be/J4s83_n8BOk) and those horrible horrible synth drums (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XuINSMbua_I/TZp6GOHCkeI/AAAAAAACSYs/mBLrMMFT75Y/s1600/%2524%2528KGrHqJ%252C%2521l%2521E2EgPVKO5BNmj8q7Lcg%257E%257E_12.JPG).
-
I love a 12" mix from time to time, I will admit to that. I know it makes me sound like a twat, but playing a 12" at 45 rpm fairly made some of those dance tunes (Blue Monday, Relax, etc.) jump out LOUD.
I'm with you on Stryper.
Ebony and Ivory mercifully was blocked over here on copyright grounds (?) but from this I take it that the other videos were 80's incarnations of people being sad shadows of themselves.
-
Ebony and Ivory mercifully was blocked over here on copyright grounds (?) but from this I take it that the other videos were 80's incarnations of people being sad shadows of themselves.
Yes and speaking to your earlier point about Kate Bush, most of the groups I linked to (including Macca) made full recoveries later in their careers after sucking all through the 80s.
Oh, and the 12" extended remix was an extended remix of The Firm doing Radioactive, which, in my innocence, paid money for. Hey, it was Jimmy Page and Paul Rogers, how could it possibly suck?
-
I never knew that These Dreams was by Heart. If I had to guess I don't think they would have been in my top 5 guesses.
-
Kate Bush is a god-like genius, but I only listened to the new album once. My reaction was that I might listen to it one more time, but I doubted I'd listen to it over and over again. I still bought it, because she fits into that grouping of people I unconditionally support.
Maybe when I give it that second listen eventually, I'll want a third listen.
Interesting. I think I've already given it two listens, and will most definitely give it a third. I'm not a huge Kate Bush fan though. Well, I think she's fantastic but I only own and am familiar with Hounds of Love, some single that I bought because Sexual Healing is the b-side and this new one.
-
It's true to say that Bowie sucked right through the 80's (except Scary Monsters, which was 1980).
My current fav Kate Bush tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EhmUghu7tI
A cracking version of Hounds of Love by The Futureheads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcMAM9B7yAA
-
Man, there was a lot of different kinds of '80's weren't (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ywqMK34tv0) there (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEa5APvgFDQ)?
You know, I'm not real crazy about Punk either. It rocks, which I like, but it all sounds the same to me, and the singers are terrible. The 80s were when music went to obsessive extremes. On the one hand you had guitarist perfecting their instrument to the point that their playing sounds like a clinic (http://youtu.be/vs70RPZw8-4). Then you have groups like you linked to that have purposely rejected that and have gone to the extreme the other way.
-
At the moment I am listening to Broken Social Scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0BkgakEKVk
-
you think i aint worth a dollar but i feel like a millionaire(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSNL1F_CDpw)-queens of the stone age
a rad driving tune
also, i just really dig the hell out of their hard/heavy/gloomy powerpop sounds, in general.
-
What about some of this? I'm not even sure I like it, but, dudes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiwBeqPik14
-
you think i aint worth a dollar but i feel like a millionaire(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSNL1F_CDpw)-queens of the stone age
a rad driving tune
also, i just really dig the hell out of their hard/heavy/gloomy powerpop sounds, in general.
I really like QOTSA, but Josh Homme is a total douche. Watch this video where he berates this kid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fAKETPwRCuI#t=208s) who throws a sock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fAKETPwRCuI#t=88s) on stage.
Douche:
(http://thenjunderground.com/storage/josh_homme.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1304006244924)
-
I think most of my favorite music is from the 80s. Go figure.
-
What about some of this? I'm not even sure I like it, but, dudes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiwBeqPik14
That dude at 1:30 was very funny. You might go see them if they showed up in town, but I'm sure I wouldn't listen to their music at home.
-
Totally Paul. Like the man said (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZUQ59UjCR0):
Now you're talking!
-
At the moment I am listening to Broken Social Scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0BkgakEKVk
Good music.
-
you think i aint worth a dollar but i feel like a millionaire(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSNL1F_CDpw)-queens of the stone age
a rad driving tune
also, i just really dig the hell out of their hard/heavy/gloomy powerpop sounds, in general.
I'm a fan. I love anything with Dave Grohl on drums.
-
I really like QOTSA, but Josh Homme is a total douche. Watch this video where he berates this kid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fAKETPwRCuI#t=208s) who throws a sock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fAKETPwRCuI#t=88s) on stage.
Josh Homme may be a douche, but not in this case. Dude's trying to entertain and some jerk throws something at him. Fuck that guy for thinking he has the right to do that.
-
Josh Homme may be a douche, but not in this case. Dude's trying to entertain and some jerk throws something at him. Fuck that guy for thinking he has the right to do that.
Did you listen to the rant? I'm not defending the kid, but jesus.
Also, that wasn't very rock n roll of him either. I remember when bands used to throw stuff back at the audience.
-
Did you listen to the rant? I'm not defending the kid, but jesus.
Yeah, he might have overreacted, but he was trying to make a point.
Also, that wasn't very rock n roll of him either. I remember when bands used to throw stuff back at the audience.
I remember when people went to concerts to listen to music being played.
-
Something wonderful happened. I lost interest in Bjork for a long time. Tonight I felt in the mood to listen to Volta. I suddenly remembered that I love her music. Yay!
-
Mission of Burma were pretty great. The new songs are boring, the old songs still rock. My ears are ringing and my throat is sore from singing along so I guess it was a good show.
-
I've been trying to think of music from the 80s that I really really like. So far what I've been able to come up with is Metallica and the Replacements. Although, I don't think I heard the Replacements at all until the 90s and I barely heard Metallica either until the 90s. There's Dio era Sabbath which is fuck*ng awesome, but Sabbath also gave us Eternal Idol and Headless Cross in the 80s so, you know, it's a mixed bag. I like Motley Crue and Tom Petty, they're pretty rad, but really, if that's the best the 80s had to offer... In retrospect I like most of what Neil Young did in the 80s, but at the time I thought he was losing it.
Edit: Weird Al! Okay, the 80s have been redeemed.
Edit 2: I just sorted my iTunes by year and looked at what I have from the 80s. Okay, my argument falls apart completely. There is a shit ton of awesome music in there from the 80s. But to be fair to myself, there's a lot of it that I was either not cool enough to listen to at the time or had never heard of.
Seriously though, the 80s gave us Stevie Nicks and Phil Collins. Fuck that decade.
-
phoneboning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hYtUYiuzkw)
-
Can't seem to get this song out of my head. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE6wxDqdOV0)
-
Cool song.
-
Hey Deja, Tobacco basically is Black Moth Super Rainbow. I don't know if you know that.
Also, I have been getting my country rock on hard with Sir Doug.
Lawd, I'm Just a Country Boy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaJtwfAT6dw
She's About a Mover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgcmEUvdBl4
Bad lip singing of Mendocino: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_KeqmdiQoY
Unfortunately And It Didn't Even Bring Me Down ain't on the youtubes.
-
Oh crackers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKunj97s08Q)!
getitoutofmyheadturnitoffmakeitGOAWAY!
Have I shared this nugget here before? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QS0q3mGPGg) This is my Charlie Sheen earworm. "Win here, win there, win, win everywhere!"
-
Those are the same guys that do Autotune the news. They've branched out, apparently.
I love love love the Back it Up (http://youtu.be/zjYSERaXEGI) song.
-
I've been jamming to this (http://youtu.be/BsbqFOmrkL8) Small Faces song.
-
some hippie-assed live song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu7eu4akSvk) by RHCP
IMO, the backing vocals leave a bit to be desired.
-
Tonight's the Night is todays jam.
-
This should probably go in the "shows I just saw" but what the fuck ever. I went to see Kathleen Edwards this time home. Highly fuck*ng recommended.
-
in honor of ian mackaye's 50th:
instrument (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUwsuKoBlXE)-fugazi
-
I just listened to a recording of my wife, her brother, and our friend playing some . . . I don't even know what you call it, but it's loud as fuck. It's awesome.
-
in honor of ian mackaye's 50th:
instrument (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUwsuKoBlXE)-fugazi
I owe you another can. You picked a song Ian actually sings from my favorite Fugazi album. And I totally didn't know it was his birthday let alone his 50th HOLY FUCK! Dude will rock eternally. Still holding out hope for a reunion.
My favorite Ian song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OswnWC5BGY0
From my second favorite Fugazi album.
-
The Wikipedia entry for Fugazi says:
Fugazi has been on indefinite hiatus since 2003.
Sounds familiar...
-
I ended up on Wikipedia after Googling "How to figure out how to like Fugazi." Not really but... ever since I moved to the DC area I hear about them all the time. The general consensus seems to be that if you don't like them, you don't know what is good. But every time I go try a little bit of a song, they are kind of, um, noisy and shouty and punk for me and I turn it off. Is there any hope for me?
-
I totally understand why people don't like Fugazi. They are often noisy and shouty and even a little bit punk. If that ain't your thing then you're not going to like them.
But you may want to check out their last album The Argument, which has to be their least noisy and shouty. An example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajrCZJgwoh4
-
I enjoyed the Fugazi trip. Thanks Miles and GKA!
-
Dude will rock eternally.
self-righteousness is an amazing preservative. ;)
-
self-righteousness is an amazing preservative. ;)
ZING!
-
If'n anyone cares, here's a free Pixies EP download from Coachella '04 (http://www.pixiesmusic.com/2012/04/free-coachella-04-download/) (alas, signup required).
-
The Band. Just learned that Levon Helm is in the final stages of cancer.
-
That sucks. He did a good job on that Wall deal in Berlin.
-
I totally understand why people don't like Fugazi. They are often noisy and shouty and even a little bit punk. If that ain't your thing then you're not going to like them.
But you may want to check out their last album The Argument, which has to be their least noisy and shouty. An example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajrCZJgwoh4
I will try that. I feel like there are some things I have liked in my life that are a little bit punk, but maybe I am kidding myself.
-
If'n anyone cares, here's a free Pixies EP download from Coachella '04 (http://www.pixiesmusic.com/2012/04/free-coachella-04-download/) (alas, signup required).
I was there! Best weekend ever.
-
The Band. Just learned that Levon Helm is in the final stages of cancer.
No. No. No.
-
Ok, now everybody is bummed out . . . so let's keep it going. I don't listen to either of these bands, but what's the difference between Insane Clown Posse and Kottonmouth Kings? Is it just that ICP really sucks? Props to Kottonmouth Kings for not diluting their message, as far as my tiny bit of research seems to show.
-
i cant decide (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFKUnfwBPTU)-scissor sisters
fyi- its one of those annoying song lyric videos, so just minimize the window and listen.
-
We saw the Scissor Sisters on the tour for that first album. Great show. Of course, I didn't get to meet Ana Matronic (unlike some extremely fortunate people I could mention).
-
We saw the Scissor Sisters on the tour for that first album. Great show. Of course, I didn't get to meet Ana Matronic (unlike some extremely fortunate people I could mention).
Whoo Hoo!
(http://farm1.staticflickr.com/176/423879982_03b60c2886.jpg)
-
Remember how I didn't mention it was you? Thanks for rubbing it in.
And she's from Portland! (Next time you see her tell her I have an awful crush on her.)
-
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. And I will.
-
And again, I love the dude in the background thinking to himself "I wish I had game like that cat".
-
The Band. Just learned that Levon Helm is in the final stages of cancer.
Godamn it (http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/levon-helms-musical-journey/2012/04/18/gIQAkE1oQT_gallery.html)
-
This will probably be on repeat all night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VShpcqd3zE
-
Another article about Levon. (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-04-19/levon-helm-southern-voice-of-the-band-s-classics-dies-at-71)
In his 1993 memoir, “This Wheel’s on Fire,” written with Stephen Davis, Helm disclosed that “The Last Waltz” crystallized what had long bothered him about The Band: the image of guitarist Robertson as leader and star, rather than as part of a collaborative team.
“For two hours we watched as the camera focused almost exclusively on Robbie Robertson, long and loving close-ups of his heavily made-up face and expensive haircut,” Helm wrote, describing his first screening of the documentary. “The film was edited so it looked like Robbie was conducting the band with expansive waves of his guitar neck.”
Responding to Helm’s criticism, Robertson told the Los Angeles Times: “I never wanted to be the boss, and in fact I never thought I was the boss. I was just trying to organize things so we could do things like make records and go out and play a show somewhere.”
I really like The Last Waltz, but when I saw it in the theaters several years ago after a remaster or something, this was exactly what bugged me about it. Not to mention Robbie's rock star faces and poses. Even in Levon's shining moment, it opens with this bullshit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-VShpcqd3zE#t=10s). Don't get me wrong though, I love the guy.
-
Miles, I'm not sure where you are coming from with this. What you are calling Helm's "Shining moment" is also Robertson's shining moment. Don't forget that he wrote the song. I think it's actually a credit to Robertson that he shared so much of the limelight with his bandmates when he was clearly the leader of the group.
-
Yeah, that's fair. Mostly I was struck by the comment because I had just watched that video, and remembered how I was annoyed by some of Robbie's antics. As I said, I love the guy. The Band is one of my favorite bands, and I know he's the main songwriter.
-
I have a mild dislike for Robbie and I feel like it is pretty indefensible.
-
no trust(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=268h1k2PgCM)-black keys
-
anybody don't like the black keys is fuckin wrong
-
anybody don't like the black keys is fuckin wrong
Have to agree with this, wholeheartedly.
-
anybody don't like the black keys is fuckin wrong
Have to agree with this, wholeheartedly.
For the bass lovers of the world, I must take a stand.
-
Dude, no. There are plenty of good bands with bass players. My brother-in-law was in a band with two bass players. Shit, I play bass.
Black Keys are aces.
-
Halfway through Side 1 of the new Jack White album. Already can confirm as really good.
-
Halfway through Side 1 of the new Jack White album. Already can confirm as really good.
It's because he wised up and added bass.
Dude, no. There are plenty of good bands with bass players. My brother-in-law was in a band with two bass players. Shit, I play bass.
Black Keys are aces.
Yeah, you're right. They too have a bass player now. Eventually they all see the light.
-
Everything just fell into place for you to win that argument, dude. Have a victory can.
Man, there is some piano on this record that is balls-out! This shit is good.
-
Halfway through Side 1 of the new Jack White album. Already can confirm as really good.
We're going to see him in Eugene. Pretty psyched.
-
All I can say man, is when is the last time I listened to a new record three times in a row, once right after the other? Well, you wouldn't know, but it's been a while. That's some 'end of the year list' shit right there.
Apparently some dates on his tour he's gonna have his boss foxy lady backing band, and other times his super-bad dudes backing band, just depending on his whims.
-
He is definitely a whims kind of dude. I have seen him 6 or 7 times now, and it is impossible to anticipate what is going to happen each time. I'm kind of hoping for some covers this time since he just has the one solo album.
-
A girl I hated in college works at his record label now. Weird.
Tonight I am going to listen to The Mountain Goats live and try to keep an open mind.
-
I came to Lana Del Rey through the crooked path of seeing her bomb on SNL. I was all "this is terrible, who is this horrible singer?' which brought me to YouTube and then... well I just couldn't stop listening to Video Games (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO1OV5B_JDw), Born to Die (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bag1gUxuU0g&feature=related) and Blue Jeans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRWox-i6aAk&feature=relmfu). I went from strong dislike to obsessively hitting replay. It leaves me wondering if stage presence matters at all at this point in our history.
-
my new favorite sex jam: sexy eiffel towers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tUbg1p9SMQ)-bow wow wow
NSFW-lady orgasms(whether real or fake, my c*ck was convinced.)
-
NSFW-lady orgasms(whether real or fake, my c*ck was convinced.)
I had a big crush on her when I was a kid.
-
I am a tad late to this particular party, but wow is the Decemberists' "The King Is Dead" a great record.
-
I love this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlZydtG3xqI&feature=player_embedded
-
Speaking of bands with just a guitar and drums: lately (WARNING: DO NOT LISTEN ON LOUD VOLUME. THE CLAPPING IS MISLEADING.) this is my jam when my roommates are out and it's amp-cranking hours. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER5fh-B-xT0)Why is this so fun to play? His newer stuff is much better recorded and has a full band but... is just not as fun. But this spring he's coming out with like three albums (one with White Fence, one solo of softer stuff, one louder with a full band) so who knows where he is going next.
There are Talks going on about moving in with a few music-playing friends in a house with a basement, and if that happens it will be all jams all the time. I told the guy with the most similar tastes that we are going to start a garage-country band. Time to learn how to play country guitar.
-
Lots of Steely Dan for the past two days. Especially the entire Aja album as well as this jam (http://youtu.be/mYjFza5Rq9s).
-
I discovered something while looking for that Steely Dan link, there are a lot of really good Steely Dan tribute bands.
-
Did I ask you if you've listened to Android Warehouse?
-
Did I ask you if you've listened to Android Warehouse?
I don't believe so, but if you had the answer would be yes. Pre Dan Becker/Fagen. I even have that shit on cassette.
-
Lots of Steely Dan for the past two days. Especially the entire Aja album as well as this jam (http://youtu.be/mYjFza5Rq9s).
Can't Buy a Thrill is such a damn good ablum.
-
Pretzel Logic is also a great album. The Android Warehouse deal is very strange.
-
saw Real Estate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzkx7ScbZ4I) last night. Their songs all sound the same (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHx8ZhYsigQ&feature=relmfu), but in a way I really like. Delicately put together, with incredible guitar tone.
-
Hey Keith, did you see the article on the dude from Spiritualized/Spacemen 3 in the April 16 New Yorker?
-
I did not, will check it. My best friend bought me a kick ass Spacemen 3 shirt for my birthday last week. I fuck*ng love that shirt, but I haven't really worn band shirts since High School, it felt like trying too hard. I now really, really want to get a Happy Mondays shirt and a Madchester shirt and never, ever wear anything else associated with bands, but I can't find a cool Happy Mondays one.
I was on ebay looking and found this kick ass hacienda/madchester inspired shirt I am probably going to get. Check it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MADCHESTER-COOL-AS-F-K-TSHIRT-STONE-ROSES-HAPPY-MONDAYS-INSPIRAL-CARPETS-/110858437890?pt=UK_Men_s_T_Shirts&var=&hash=item19cfad8502
-
stay with me(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtqF0qBqzZo)-the faces
-
Hey Keith, did you see the article on the dude from Spiritualized/Spacemen 3 in the April 16 New Yorker?
Uh, I can only find it where you got to pay? Is there a link or anything? Was it good? Peter Kembler (Sonic Boom) is my preferred of the two.
-
stay with me(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtqF0qBqzZo)-the faces
Ah yes, the Faces, so good. I'll see your Stay with Me and raise you a I Know I'm Losing You (http://youtu.be/m4PXMCCTMwM).
-
the dude behind metalocalypse/dethklok has a space-y, extreme rock/melodic metal band side project and he/they released a CD last month. prophecy of the lazer witch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3CEmaeoOjCY)-galaktikon
its something i can definitely get behind.
-
Uh, I can only find it where you got to pay? Is there a link or anything? Was it good? Peter Kembler (Sonic Boom) is my preferred of the two.
OMG, please can I kill everyone who created The New Yorker's website.
All I could get out of it was a file of the story in .xps format, which I don't even know what is, although my laptop opened it without any trouble. I can email it to you if you give me an address.
-
I was just listening to Viva La Vinyl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPhaXdgwpBc&feature=related) by Twilight Hotel and thought some of you folks might like them. These folks were once Winnipeggers but now make their home in Austin TX, I hear they do a great live show, though sadly I got turned on to them just after they left the city.
-
If you want, Keith, I can send you the hard copy.
-
Oh, awesome, I will send you my email Wombat and thanks for the offer Nabu.
Also, the minutemen live in some dudes yard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkth4o3DpKA&feature=related
-
valerie(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWwrqA2CT_0)-the zutons
i cant decide if the singers voice is interesting/cool or annoying. maybe both? anyway, i like mark ronson's disco-y/motown interpretation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HLY1NTe04M)(despite amy winehouse) more.
-
Was that some kind of Tupac Holla!gram thing?
-
Paul, you continue to impress.
-
valerie(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWwrqA2CT_0)-the zutons
i cant decide if the singers voice is interesting/cool or annoying. maybe both? anyway, i like mark ronson's disco-y/motown interpretation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HLY1NTe04M)(despite amy winehouse) more.
I like Amy Winehouse, but Mark Ronson grates. We are opposed on this issue.
-
Man Will Oldham is like my favorite person I've never met. What weird and cool guy: http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/07/now-playing-the-world-premiere-of-bonnie-prince-billys-new-music-video/
I guess I met him briefly a long time ago. I saw him play at Tower Records in Seattle in '97 or '98, and I had purchased the Black/Rich Music EP. I ran into him as I was leaving and he graciously signed it for me. Really nice about it. It was the least awkward moment ever meeting someone I idolized.
Most awkward was Doug Martsch. Because to me he's basically a god. And it's weird to have you photo taken with a god.
Also, Will Oldham supports safe sex (http://www.dragcity.com/products/wolroy-goes-to-town-condom). I bought this. I think it would be super creepy and kind of awesome to get it signed after use.
-
holy shit. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQWCt4405Ps&feature=youtu.be)
-
I sort of met Doug Martsch. He seemed very nice.
-
I mentioned on FB that I just heard Ace Frehley's "New York Groove" playing in the airport here. Shit like that makes me feel slightly conflicted. I guess the same thing happened twenty years ago when people started hearing the Stones in inappropriate places (or hell, Split Enz).
-
I mentioned on FB that I just heard Ace Frehley's "New York Groove" playing in the airport here.
I named the photo set of my New York trip "New York Groove (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/sets/72157607031792714/)."
-
Bandwiches (http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/bandwiches) (via McSweeneys).
-
Did you consider trying this (http://youtu.be/QgpzLUCY0rU)?
Also, in other music news, Tom Gabel of Against Me! is transitioning to life as a female (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1684756/against-me-tom-gabel-transgender.jhtml).
-
Earworm destroyed by sheer volume.
Willie is pretty awesome (http://youtu.be/pAHcX_jSbsc).
-
I can't get enough Menomena.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI8aQVbvTsc
-
I can't get enough Menomena.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI8aQVbvTsc
I always want to see them but they never play when I'm around. Can someone explain why I can never see local bands?
-
At first I read that as Mahnmahna (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ).
Doot do do do do
-
I was watching The Office last night with some friends, so of course this came to mind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KO2qVqq3J0).
-
a creepy OHW/blast from the past:
got you where i want you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONBYpWeqDi0)-the flys
-
Jimi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rEBz--bWVY)
-
Jimi playing Norman OK (http://youtu.be/kvTxfUmiBxY), from the sidebar of miles' link. Interesting photos in there. There is some copy in there about how the guy came to record the show and incidents around that same time (Jimi makes some comments about Kent State).
-
Little low-key cover by P!nk (http://youtu.be/3cL8lGioyOM).
(I would like to see a video of 1980s Billy Idol and Annie Lennox singing with P!nk.)
-
I am trying to check out The Black Belles only to discover that track 2 skips and it's too late to return it.
-
I am unashamedly behind that cover and I love Freddie Mercury. I don't think anyone else would have done that song as much justice as she does. And I am enthusiastic about her costume.
amen.
also, it seems like she's letting the backup singers shine a lot.
-
I am unashamedly behind that cover and I love Freddie Mercury. I don't think anyone else would have done that song as much justice as she does. And I am enthusiastic about her costume.
-
Silly Putty (http://youtu.be/yEnHp2xKWdk). I wish I had a link to the version I have on my iPod, but that one's pretty sweet.
While you're at it, this is pretty funky, too (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d5tsk0YHK8&feature=related).
-
My roommates are in a cool band with the guys I am trying to move in with. They always record their practices on a cassette tape so they can see what they screwed up. So I have heard a lot of fucked up versions of their songs.
Now they recorded a "demo EP" at the college radio station since class is no longer in session. They sound really awesome. Whoa.
-
infinity guitars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfGtB6K8q8k)-sleigh bells
-
New Garbage today and Garbage live tomorrow. It's a sold-out show with no opener. I can't wrap my head around that second part.
-
sometimes i like to watch drum covers of rad songs:
frankenstein drum cover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyqnvTbKrS8)
-
So, I had another silly love song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_kkp9S9a3w) stuck in my head since the weekend and I decided to burn it out.
You could do much worse. I really love that song, always have.
-
Did you consider trying this (http://youtu.be/QgpzLUCY0rU)?
Don't know how good that is at draining ear worms, but it sure was satisfying.
-
Willie is pretty awesome (http://youtu.be/pAHcX_jSbsc).
I quite agree. Did I mention that I was going to see him for the first time (I know, shameful) next week? I will be watching him from the roof of my car. It'll be kinda like a drive in movie.
-
Jimi playing Norman OK (http://youtu.be/kvTxfUmiBxY)
God Damn, that shit rocks!
-
Little low-key cover by P!nk (http://youtu.be/3cL8lGioyOM).
Man, I'll tell you, I was skeptical, but that fuck*ng rocked.
-
I just spent an hour listening to someone's playlist of the rolling stones, black keys, bruce springsteen, all sealed up with AC/DC's Hells bells. It was someone's idea of mood music during a conference call.
-
Man, I'll tell you, I was skeptical, but that fuck*ng rocked.
Pretty damn good. I like how she had a background singer to cover the upper range instead of trying to warp it to fit her much more restricted voice. Freddie was really amazing, which comes out when you hear someone trying to cover one of his songs.
-
P!nk is not too bad, really. The best of that bunch is Robyn. By a country mile. Serious tunes, cool haircuts, pointy shoes, ridiculous dancing. I buy all her stuff and let my inner gay man go crazy.
-
Little low-key cover by P!nk (http://youtu.be/3cL8lGioyOM).
For a change my computer didn't crash when I tried to play a video, and I am glad. That is kind of cool. I never imagined it sung by, you know, ladies.
But, um, should Wombat know who Pink is?
-
I've mentioned that I'm a fan of The Cliks before, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJD4QLsohT8) so of course the band's lead singer Lucas Silveira went and did a cover of one of my favorite songs of all time. He did it back in 2009 before taking hormones (he's transgendered), and then after some time the band and him specifically disappeared and I was wondering what happened. He had previously said he didn't plan to take hormones because he knew they'd have a drastic effect on his voice. It seems that he later decided to go that route, and had to re-learn to sing with his new, deeper register.
Crying, 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnushdY4R_E)
vs
Crying, 2012 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kovDREyTIfQ&list=UU6UdH4YqfUcdGUwCWc3rzoQ&index=1&feature=plcp)
Both versions are great, but what a difference? The Cliks' website now says they're no longer a band, but Lucas' solo project. I'm going to have to check out the rest of the new album to figure out my thoughts. I most like the band because Lucas' voice reminded me of a rougher version of Chrissie Hynde, so with this change, when it comes to musicality, I'm not sure if I'm into him any more. I admire the massive courage it must take to follow his truth even at risk to changing his voice so drastically.
-
But, um, should Wombat know who Pink is?
Probably not.
That was really cool though.
-
Probably not.
Ha, yes.
-
I've mentioned that I'm a fan of The Cliks before, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJD4QLsohT8)
Crying, 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnushdY4R_E)
vs
Crying, 2012 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kovDREyTIfQ&list=UU6UdH4YqfUcdGUwCWc3rzoQ&index=1&feature=plcp)
The second version is definitely the better of the two IMHO.
-
the ghost inside(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNl0Jw9_Z5A)-broken bells
(the official video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVxTsXRjNTw) has the beautiful Christina Hendricks AND a sweet spaceship(or more?). flying around in space(even though the intro is annoyingly long).
-
(the official video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVxTsXRjNTw) has the beautiful Christina Hendricks AND a sweet spaceship).
Ah yes, I remember those tits from Firefly.
-
Finally getting over my dislike of Chicago Blues. Something just feels RIGHT about blasting this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLGgVRMk0Rg) while cruising the city in horrific heat and humidity.
Also, in love with this video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3haYAbqKjA) The solos in the middle are amazing. As are his facial expressions.
-
I've mentioned that I'm a fan of The Cliks before, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJD4QLsohT8) so of course the band's lead singer Lucas Silveira went and did a cover of one of my favorite songs of all time. He did it back in 2009 before taking hormones (he's transgendered), and then after some time the band and him specifically disappeared and I was wondering what happened. He had previously said he didn't plan to take hormones because he knew they'd have a drastic effect on his voice. It seems that he later decided to go that route, and had to re-learn to sing with his new, deeper register.
Crying, 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnushdY4R_E)
vs
Crying, 2012 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kovDREyTIfQ&list=UU6UdH4YqfUcdGUwCWc3rzoQ&index=1&feature=plcp)
Both versions are great, but what a difference? The Cliks' website now says they're no longer a band, but Lucas' solo project. I'm going to have to check out the rest of the new album to figure out my thoughts. I most like the band because Lucas' voice reminded me of a rougher version of Chrissie Hynde, so with this change, when it comes to musicality, I'm not sure if I'm into him any more. I admire the massive courage it must take to follow his truth even at risk to changing his voice so drastically.
I quite liked their album Snakehouse but I didn't care for Dirty King at all
-
I've listened to Siouxsie and the Banshees a fair amount in the past but not at all recently. Maybe because they are one of a handful of bands that remind me of a particular ex-girlfriend and a particularly shitty few months. But anyway, that was almost 10 years ago now and I somehow stumbled across Spellbound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9otg_Cm50RE) over the weekend. I don't know how this song didn't grab me by the balls before, but it has them firmly grasped now. Everything, from the vocals to the percussion, is perfect. And holy shit, when that acoustic rhythm guitar kicked in around :26 I almost lost it. Aside from some Smiths songs I can't even think of what to compare it to. It's an earworm that's been burrowing its way through my brain for a couple days and I don't mind at all.
-
I quite liked their album Snakehouse but I didn't care for Dirty King at all
Yeah, me too. I only gave Dirty King a single listen - it really wasn't memorable. I've read somewhere that The Cliks changed line-ups several times, with Lucas being the only constant. It makes me wonder if he is one of those talented, unbearable fucks.
-
Lynn Halsey-Taylor is my current earworm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwrjKFQga28).
That'll teach learn me to watch that damn movie...
FTFY
Right turn, Clyde.
-
This: http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/On+The+Nature+Of+Daylight/4e0XU?src=5
This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdg-DT8rTUQ
And this: http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Collected+Songs+Where+Every+Verse+Is+Filled+With+Grief/2Sys25?src=5
-
My roommates are in a band, and recorded a demo EP (http://brainstems.bandcamp.com/album/deadbeat-doggerel-and-basement-scum). I am confused, because it sounded REALLY GOOD a week ago, and now that they worked on it more and released it it sounds a lot muddier. They need to get rid of one guitar player. Also, they didn't record the song that I think is actually good.
-
Definitely a too many cooks situation. I'm sure everyone thought their guitar wasn't loud enough.
-
Today, I can not get enough of this ATHF/Mastadon thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53s13hXBX8w).
fuck*ng YES!
-
Is this the thread where we post Bohemian Rhapsody covers (http://youtu.be/6iUwz16A6oI)?
-
I really like this cover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQxvo_9DEqY) by The Slits.
Along similar lines I really like White Magic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drf8UuofXy0&feature=related) but I'm having trouble finding a song that is a good first song
and now for something completely different: Electric Wizard - Funeropolis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO7VP34n2Ps)
-
triumphant, rocking reading rainbow theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2u3ceIOhEs)
-
I've rediscovered The Who. I've been burned out on them for a long time. I listened to them tonight with fresh ears and was reminded how ultimately bad ass they are.
-
Designer Drugs - Zombies! (http://youtu.be/Th_z2nMW8vE)
-
time runs out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oELIUoYpcE)-john frusciante
-
Y'all gotta help me out here. Am I just overcome with nostalgia or is this new Beach Boys song (http://youtu.be/OGke6pnT1d0) as good as I think it is?
-
You gave it your best shot. I would not have expected you to like it.
-
P'radikus Conflict (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42GskzLR6RE)-black black beast
a 6+ minute instrumental jam
the dudes are all from my hometown. the drummer was in my HS class and we were kinda bro's. one of the guitar players is married to a rad lady who was in my class/was kind of my HS bro. the other guitar dude was really good friends with my younger brother.
-
Dirty Projectors:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_qFaFl7JVc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYfEOad2yh8
-
The new Neil Young:
Americana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_71FA0V-P0)
Clementiiiine. Cleeementiiiiiiiiiine. O My Darlin'. Clementine.
-
P'radikus Conflict (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42GskzLR6RE)-black black beast
I love the films of old flying machines that didn't work. I love how it wasn't bad enough that the machine didn't fly, but in most cases it also spectacularly self destructed.
-
It's Henry Rollins talking in my brain time. (http://www.mediafire.com/?mkoymitnthd)
I don't think I'm into music that makes people want to spit on the band.
-
Dirty Projectors:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_qFaFl7JVc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYfEOad2yh8
Beautiful singing.
-
The new Neil Young:
Americana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_71FA0V-P0)
Clementiiiine. Cleeementiiiiiiiiiine. O My Darlin'. Clementine.
Wow, the whole album! Kick ass!
-
Uyama Hiroto ft. Golden Boy - Vision Eyes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQeCwpEBq8)
-
Onra - They Got Breaks Too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUlGtkrBgLE&feature=youtu.be
Mia Doi Todd - Summer Lover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRTjgSjxOhg
Groundislava - Animal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbvBQG7t6D8&feature=relmfu
Animal Collective - Water Curses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7GZLRxVzvg
-
Uyama Hiroto ft. Golden Boy - Vision Eyes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQeCwpEBq8)
This sounded like some old school yacht rock until some dude starting rapping.
-
Yacht rock. This concept is intriguing.
-
Yacht rock. This concept is intriguing.
Seals & Crofts?
-
Paul just reminded of channel 101 and this (http://www.channel101.com/show/171).
-
That song mentions many places in NC and was like the theme song when I worked at summer camp. Now the recorded version sounds shitty to me, because I played it and sang along with kids and dear friends so many times that summer. That is still the first chord progression I play when I pick up my guitar. What a great song. Did you know the chorus was a Bob Dylan fragment that he never finished?
I try not to think about the last time we all sang it together, and then my coworkers all started telling horrific racist jokes. WTF guys. Way to ruin my opinion of you forever.
-
Some people call Steely Dan yacht rock but I think that it only is in the most surface of ways.
If you scratch the surface, Steely Dan's lyrics are often about how horrible yacht rock people can often be.
I like to imagine Steely Dan songs beating the shit outta Jimmy Buffet songs in a back alley after having to pretend they were friends in a bar earlier than night.
-
I like to imagine Steely Dan songs beating the shit outta Jimmy Buffet songs in a back alley after having to pretend they were friends in a bar earlier than night.
pretty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcb-K8k-OAE&feature=channel&list=UL) much (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEw3_6xWkDs&feature=channel&list=UL).
-
If you scratch the surface, Steely Dan's lyrics are often about how horrible yacht rock people can often be.
Is there anything more rich-white-guy than being an artist who plays slightly esoteric jazz-rock about how much you don't like rich people?
Sounds like the JD Salinger of jazz-rock.
-
Is there anything more rich-white-guy than being an artist who plays slightly esoteric jazz-rock about how much you don't like rich people?
I've no idea what you are talking about. Steely Dan sings about hating rich people?
-
LFM seems to think they do.
If you scratch the surface, Steely Dan's lyrics are often about how horrible yacht rock people can often be.
I like to imagine Steely Dan songs beating the shit outta Jimmy Buffet songs in a back alley after having to pretend they were friends in a bar earlier than night.
-
Steely Dan sings a lotta songs about reprehensible upperclass types, certainly.
-
Old Crow Medicine Show - Wagon Wheel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vJUadjdmo)
Lot of fiddle and down-strums lately and I'm liking it fine.
I love this video so hard.
Did you know the chorus was a Bob Dylan fragment that he never finished?
It's relatively easy to find a download of The Genuine Bootleg Series which contains this (titled Rock Me Mama). It's worth checking out if one is a Bob Dylan fan. Even better is A Tree with Roots, which is basically The Genuine Basement Tapes (which I think it used to be called). If you've listened to the I'm Not There soundtrack, you've heard the song by the same name that was previously only available on this bootleg. It's such a fuck*ng amazing song it's a wonder it never got an official release or a better recording, though I love the recording.
-
I ordered a Bonnie Prince Billy record from this label called Black Tent Press and now I guess I'm on their email list. I get tons of emails from bands and record labels because I ordered something at some point and I tend to ignore them. Anyway, I got an email this week from Black Tent Press about a new album from this band called Fist City. It had a link to a free download of the album along with a plea that you buy the record, so I checked it out. I like it quite a bit. This is my favorite song: http://fistcity.bandcamp.com/track/boring-kids (not the same recording as the one I have though, it's a bit noisier).
-
bang on the drum all day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqGgiaMknzM)-live at daryl's house
i guess a bunch of people get together with daryl hall and jam? anyhow, this version seems like the perfect song for an outdoor gathering in the backyard with your favorite dudes and ladies.
-
bang on the drum all day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqGgiaMknzM)-live at daryl's house
i guess a bunch of people get together with daryl hall and jam? anyhow, this version seems like the perfect song for an outdoor gathering in the backyard with your favorite dudes and ladies.
That was good, but I liked this one (http://youtu.be/N48-K9z-HA4) better. Thanks for finding this. I'm a big Todd Rundgren fan.
-
upon further investigation i found that those dudes are daryl hall's band, except for the guest.
-
And now, the angriest song in history. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIp-pmB_wmU)
-
Good lord man, that brings the angry all right.
Clear your mind with a less angry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sFxb60NyxU) song:
-
I'm listening to plunky songs about Mother,
This is the one I thought you'd be linking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gq8LeKfuiM
-
Good lord man, that brings the angry all right.
I'm listening to plunky songs about Mother, trying to decide which version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbf7Lls1X30) I like bestus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr0A9k1mBXQ).
Heh. Been listening to lots of Flatt and Scruggs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHCHcq1qBeU) lately.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXg8BhSlBGo
The best coke rap record of all time?
-
dude plays 100 rad rock riffs in one take (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiC__IjCa2s)
this video gave me a boner
-
It feels like some kind of experimental piece where they recorded all of the songs played in a Guitar Center over the course of a day and then strung them together. That guy is much better at guitar than me. Some of those choice bewilder me, but obviously I am a guitar dick.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXg8BhSlBGo
The best coke rap record of all time?
I like More Gangsta Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml2nlKuMJeg) if only for Cam'ron's parting shot:
"I ain't dissin' you dog, I'm dismissin' you/ Get the R. Kelly tape you'll see how we piss on you/ That's Kool-Aid, Moutain Dew, and Cris on you"
But now I'm listening to Return to the 36 Chambers, and it may not exactly be a coke rap album, but ODB was definitely coked out of his fuck*ng mind.
-
Seriously, check this dope beat/steel drum in like a pop rap song with a video like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ0iUNI0ncc
damn that is dope
-
Seriously, check this dope beat/steel drum in like a pop rap song with a video like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ0iUNI0ncc
damn that is dope
Is that the McDonalds Theme?
-
I'm loving the hell out of the (not so) new Jonathan Coulton album.
The song that caught my attention first was Nemeses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX2eEICejB0) but it's really one of those albums that works best as a whole, it has a way of carrying a theme from one song to another but inverting it or playing with it that gives the whole thing a cohesion that I didn't find in his other stuff, as much as I loved him. Also, produced by They Might Be Giants, that's got to count for a bit.
-
speaking of debased french: pussycat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW7DabV_Z9k)-banane metalik
-
Who-ya-fuck-wee!
Today is a day of debased french (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M0AMM637s4) and pocket accordion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6LsCwZr9Pg).
You tell them good, Jo-El.
I was ruined on Cajun music by Pe-Te's Cajun Bandstand, a radio show on our local Pacifica station. Comes on every Saturday morning and it's so bad. If you forget to turn off your alarm clock (as I frequently do) you are treated to an hour of this guy while you wait for the blues music to start. He has the worst taste in Cajun music ever. He must bankroll the show is all I can figure. I can't find any live playlist for you as an example so you'll just have to take my word for it.
-
My roommates' band, the one I posted on here before, had a friend with recording/mixing experience work on their tapes. Holy shit, they sound like a real band now. Their new songs are also getting better and better. It is a weird thing to realize you are humming your friend's guitar solo at work.
The last week of the month I am moving into a new place. We will occupy both floors of a two-flat house. More importantly: we have the makings of several awesome bands. And a basement. I am so excited. Everyone will know how mediocre I am at guitar now.
-
the wind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef201LbbAPE)-zach brown band
video by mike judge!
-
Oh hey, I know those guys. (http://www.spinner.com/2012/07/06/the-brainstems-gimme-yr-love-free-download/)
I wish they had done the newer song that I really love.
-
I liked that a lot. Tell them to do more stuff.
-
http://allah-las.bandcamp.com/
-
http://allah-las.bandcamp.com/
When I saw the title I thought it might be a cover of Information Society. Despite my subsequent disappointment, I liked the song, and the name of the band is brilliant.
-
I just linked to their band camp, I actually meant to link here: http://allah-las.bandcamp.com/album/catamaran-b-w-long-journey
That song is their best. And yes, sweet name.
-
Hatred for Justin Bieber runs deep. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I7v4tx7zKw)
-
sexual violence is so funny.
-
Justin Bieber is cool. He's not really my thing, but his music doesn't offend me. That video was pretty terrible though. I'd much rather listen to Justin Bieber, or even this (http://youtu.be/57Sb14dyaUc).
-
the only people that should take justin beiber so serious are his fans.
-
the only people that should take justin beiber so serious are his fans.
The same guy subsequently released an apology video. Lulz abound.
-
cracklins[/ur]-the gourds
stoner bluegrass? roots rock? the hot stanky shit on toast.
also, his other band/side project/whatever: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRRYaSO44o0]east texas rust (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7fpDYmnqVc)-shinyribs
-
RAM On LA (http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2009/03/02/ram-on-la-a-los-angeles-music-sampler/)
-
why can't i stop watching this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv8URilkuqg
-
Anybody here familiar with Gil Mellé? I was watching Columbo (the greatest detective ever at catching a killer who is hiding in plain sight) and was really digging on the Jazzy score. I got the name from the credits.
-
I'm re-listening to a Brazilian band from the 90s called "Los Hermanos" (great job with your band name, assholes, as if people enough already didn't think Buenos Aires is Brazil's capital...). Some of you may know "Little Joy", a band that one of the Los Hermanos guys formed with the drummer from the Strokes. Anyway, they have some delightfully morose stuff for rainy days like
Os Pássaros (The Birds): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blBRFaia07s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blBRFaia07s) - some cool watery guitars in this one.
Sentimental: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEFmuQfDS2A (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEFmuQfDS2A)
And some cuter, perhaps too cute (but you're safe from excessive mawkishness by the language barrier), poppier stuff like
Último Romance (Last Romance): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmaexjvNu4s&feature=fvst (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmaexjvNu4s&feature=fvst)
O Vento (The Wind): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXRSBsG9myY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXRSBsG9myY)
I dig the resigned melancholy, I do.
-
Can someone please define Dubstep? This junk is everywhere but it seems like everyone has a different idea of what is and isnt dubstep.
-
Abbey Road? Brother had to even source a cassette player for this experience. Nothing like psychedelic background rhythms for closing out the book for the day.
-
Someone showed me this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ABWNYZaFE) a while back and I really like it for some reason. Not really a huge Sinatra fan otherwise.
-
Holy crap. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQWCt4405Ps)
And more holy crap. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI5xmX4T52c)
And as always, the ultimate song of this type (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj3x-0N3y8s) as far as I am concerned. Something about it makes me a little misty eyed every time. Which... you might imagine is a fairly typical reaction for an InEv. It is not. Not for songs.
HOLY FUCK. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NIOoX3nw0I) I think Arthur Russell is the coolest ever. This last one is the coolest song and I have been listening to it on repeat for a while now. Although obviously very different from the first 3.
-
I thought it was some kind of Onion-esque rumor, but it looks like Snoop Dogg really did change his name to Snoop Lion and is doing reggae (http://soundcloud.com/snooplion/la-la-la-snoop-lion) now.
-
what in the actual fuck
-
the internet told me that he went to jamaica and had a spiritual epiphany after talking to a rastafarian priest(?). who knows if thats the actual deal, or its just a publicity thing.
-
expectation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Hm8SXcFi8)-tame impala
psychedelic, man. these dudes are pretty good.
-
expectation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Hm8SXcFi8)-tame impala
psychedelic, man. these dudes are pretty good.
Enjoyed.
-
A friend made me listen to tame impala the other day, I told him it sounded like Tortoise mixed with The Beatles. What I meant was it sounded like Tortoise mixed with the Beatles with a generous portion of boringness added. Will check that track when I get on a computer, I know they have a new album coming our, maybe I'll like it more.
-
A friend of mine posted a vid by Greek Singer Demis Roussos (http://youtu.be/7nZKMm-nOsc). I really enjoyed it quite a lot, the guy has a great voice. Curios I Googled him and apparently, back in the late 60s and early 70s he played in a band with Vangelis, who I've always placed on the same shelf as Yanni, perhaps unfairly.
But Wikipedia says Aphrodite's Child were a rock band so I gave them a listen. This one (http://youtu.be/3KCbqhJt16k) is pretty bad ass.
-
But Wikipedia says Aphrodite's Child were a rock band so I gave them a listen. This one (http://youtu.be/3KCbqhJt16k) is pretty bad ass.
Hey, I know that song. Cool.
-
Hatred is purity
Fear is disease (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOCcbKAhlY0)
everybody's got believe in something.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na9bY9gmhw4)
-
Listened to a bunch of Randy Travis this morning. Daaamn, that shit is hokey.
-
Listened to a bunch of Randy Travis this morning. Daaamn, that shit is hokey.
Did you happen to do that because he got picked up for a DUI naked the other day?
Hokey or not, that's some George Jones level drinkin' right there.
-
Yeah, naked and drunk next to a wrecked car is pretty country. Too bad he didn't make good music.
-
Yeah, I mean that was some George Jones level drinking, but the music... I gotta admit, it's so hokey it's fun. Give this one (http://youtu.be/-zkUQMDvTY0) a listen. But I can only take so much of it.
-
It sounds like the old country music that I don't like. Like the Hank Snow country. That is a lot better than, you know, Hank Jr. country or some such.
here is a good song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhHaNeY1m-E
Mexican (amphetamine?) Polka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpZMLEvkS48
-
Mexican (amphetamine?) Polka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpZMLEvkS48
Amphetamines you say? I'll show you some amphetamines. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOGiW-y-Vhs)
-
"The results of a multiple regression analysis of 49 metropolitan areas show that the greater the airtime devoted to country music, the greater the white suicide rate." (http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2007/12/05/country-music-and-suicide/)
-
a musical history of lyrics that arent lyrics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_OzM2mE_uo)
-
Damn. Rhymes as good as a tasty cake. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJjIva3fUag)
Tell him Biggie took it, what the fuck he gonna do?
I hope apologetic or I'm a have to set it
and if I set it the cocksucker won't forget it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzvL4O3uomg)
-
Damn. Rhymes as good as a tasty cake. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJjIva3fUag)
I love this song so fuck*ng much. Have you read his FBI file? http://gun.io/blog/i-got-ol-dirty-bastards-fbi-file/
-
damn, I just read that. I usually like to imagine that my favorite rap artists are just pretending to be tough guys, and are actually scaredy little mommas boys who hid inside and rapped all day instead of selling drugs.
Watching that video (Brooklyn Zoo,) I find ODB to be... really scary.
-
I always say I hate "epic" music, but what I mean is "epic" guitar. you know, that one sounding guitar? That sounds really bad and epic and 70's? Yeah, that sucks, but here is an awesome epic song (also, a band I simply cannot get enough of right now, Songs Ohia): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyGmGRNO37Y
This is the other band I can't stop listening to now, they are pretty close to the opposite of Songs Ohia: I Hate You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eOuPeAfOeE Monk Time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YMe4OrE_SA
-
Amphetamines you say? I'll show you some amphetamines. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOGiW-y-Vhs)
I've been reading TOUAMB on my phone mainly, so not clicking on links or replying, this was pretty alright. My only issue is, like, where is the twang bro?
-
Oh, also I am playing bass in this new thing. The way I have learned how to play bass is this: play bass off and on for like 3 years, don't really give a fuck about it, play in a folk rock band where you write the lyrics and the other dude writes your bass parts, sings and plays guitar. Then, get excited by doing that, but also end up hating that guy and that thing you were doing. Then, play guitar for like 2 years without really caring about it, mainly just playing chords for your folk lyrics. Then, care about guitar deeply for like a year and a half, get to be passable in an indie rock or noise band. Then, start playing bass again! And oh my god is it fuck*ng easy and fun. I am pretty modest in real life, especially about my musical ability (I am good enough to be the dude who does the simple stuff that like every band does and I can structure songs in unique ways when I am in a band that actually structures songs and I think I write unique, weird but not too weird lyrics.) but oh my god I am good at bass! Like really good! Surprising myself and enjoying myself good!
So yeah, I have been back on the bands that got me wanting to play bass in the first place.
Stone Roses- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BfnXX7EvhM
Gang of Four- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mezAqa56jqQ&feature=related
Smiths- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc1ObUMFWMo
-
Yeah, living in a house with a lot of dudes who play guitar, I have been volunteering to play bass lately. I am pretty into it. I just need one of them to actually fuck*ng learn how to play drums.
-
Oh man, it is so much more fun with drums.
-
We have drums, but no one really knows how to play them. One of my roommates plays in a band and knows basic punk/garage type beats, but he is never around when we want to play. Also, we need to put some pillows in them or something, because listening to someone trying to learn drums at full volume is PAINFUL. And of course, the only guy in the house who doesn't play an instrument lives right above the basement and is tortured by our horrible Talking Heads covers.
-
Well yeah, I mean it is so much more fun with drums and a good drummer. Drums themselves just sit there.
-
A nice set of drum pads is a fine practice vehicle. Plus it is so awesome to actually hit real drums once you've got the rhythms and you're used to the whappa whappa whappa of pads.
-
Oh man, it is so much more fun with drums.
Yes, this.
-
I am pretty obsessed with The Civil Wars right now. So good.
Tip of My Tounge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-g82_E6rdg)
Poison & Wine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6EwdDiopQ&feature=list_other&playnext=1&list=ALHTd1VmZQRNq4vw6QZVjSpnmSf4qnqjiM)
My Father's Father (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGwnFz_5xRE&feature=related)
& a lovely cover of Billie Jean (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=441mR2zsQbg)
This duo is the living embodyment of on-stage chemistry. IRL they are both married... to other people.
-
ho hey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJN-rzytlYI)-the lumineers
-
Rangers at Midnight (http://youtu.be/ZWUS7CxH4YY) and *****s for Ronnie (http://youtu.be/OP5zbe2-xYg)
-
snudge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieOrTrF2ObY)-night panther
a nu-disco duo from philly. this song is rad for shaking your ass to.
-
Those Germans do so love their Flying V's.
-
Brother Rudy loves 'em too (http://youtu.be/pmE_l_dN9UM).
-
Getting my ears ready for the Axiom 25th Reunion Show. Hey Ash, have you ever heard Houston Legends Dead (http://youtu.be/JU82jI1k0mU) hoss (http://youtu.be/9fjYtaE275Y)?
-
Hey, I remember Dead hoss from back in the Fender Days! Only semi my scene at the time so I'm only passingly acquainted.
I would encourage you to take the time to become better acquainted with them. They play thrash metal, but to my ears are cut from a slightly different cloth. I like 'em.
They have two albums available (http://www.amazon.com/Dead-hoss/e/B000APRL4I/ref=ntt_mus_dp_pel) on Amazon for cheap.
Also, slightly unrelated, the lead singer played the Frank Black role in Bluefinger (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,5780.0.html).
PS- I have no idea what Fender Days means.
-
because of a makeout mixtape i have been becoming interested in triphop.
all mine(live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-dtcwDYZM)-portishead
-
The other night my new roommate and I played a fun game. We shared a bottle of booze and alternated playing tracks on our stereo and talking about why we liked them. The exact rule was "songs that blew your mind when you heard them."
The main thing I rediscovered were these guys. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvC3TYWSCXM) Holy shit, the weird recording errors on this album are better than things most people do on purpose. I can never get into their other, well-recorded albums, because what I get out of this band is that they make weirdo rock textures that no one else does.
Other than that: Still on Ol' Dirty Bastard.
-
"songs that blew your mind when you heard them."
I immediately thought of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7MjgcNXZLs
-
Those are some cool guitars. Also, the bass player plays lefty. I can't believe I've never noticed that before.
-
march of the fire ants (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uShqlufsq5w)-mastodon
my brain is chawing on this big-assed mastodon steak and its pretty fuck*ng rad.
-
march of the fire ants (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uShqlufsq5w)-mastodon
Like!
-
Listening to this ish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HpD_v4lYs8) over and over again and realizing that the beat is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XRil07h5uE). Fuck.
I can't imagine ever not wanting to listen to this album. I first heard it 6 or 7 years ago and every time I come back I am even more impressed.
Also, tonight I saw my roommate's band for the millionth time. Recently I told them that my favorite one is the one that sounds like (badabadabada bah) and the guitarist sheepishly grinned and said, "that one is about that time we hung out and went on a bike ride along the river." I INSPIRED MY OWN FAVORITE SONG OF THEIRS.
-
More sads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWXTisH11-Y (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWXTisH11-Y)
-
I INSPIRED MY OWN FAVORITE SONG OF THEIRS.
Is it on Bandcamp or anything like that?
-
I think it is too new for any of that stuff. They are working on an EP but I don't know if it will even be on that.
-
I have been trying for years to get into dub. It just doesn't do it for me. But this bassline (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMYC8Twm5Oc) is ruling my brain/body interface pretty hard.
Also this ish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdO8Es67nQw) is pretty intense and beautiful. Heard it sampled by J Dilla and had to find the original.
There was a point when I could find any album I wanted on the internet, for free, in seconds. Now I can't ever find anything. Darn.
-
You know who likes dubstep? My parents. My dad is especially fond of Bass Cannon (http://youtu.be/h3cE9iXIx9c).
-
Not dubstep. dub reggae.
-
The Aquabats do Oingo Boingo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=etQPv051EJw)!
If you like Aquabats, you'll like Phenomenauts (http://youtu.be/IVNlCN0W1rI). Also, they have an artcar (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sesen/1299836414/lightbox/).
-
This is pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF63YC9sH5E
-
This is pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF63YC9sH5E
thats a rad song.
also, apparently that person is a fan of soul music and pinup ladies.
-
I once had a friend called Oliver twisted, he lived on the edge, or so he insisted.
-
I make Hamburgers, I get all the girls.
-
thats a rad song.
also, apparently that person is a fan of soul music and pinup ladies.
Apparently, but who isn't?
-
Clams Casino - Gorilla - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqzvHoSdH18 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqzvHoSdH18)
Great Lake Swimmers - She Comes to Me In Dreams - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5V79kvrQH4&feature=results_video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5V79kvrQH4&feature=results_video)
-
Magazine - A Song From Under The Floorboards (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBfh8682eLE)
-
This song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LbSS6Jc3o8o) rocks like 1979.
-
This song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LbSS6Jc3o8o) rocks like 1979.
Yeah, they definitely got the Get the Knack (http://youtu.be/kVdnqEyToqg) vibe.
Also from 1979 (http://youtu.be/sxkjvKBPQjo)
-
I am so confused about how this band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U2CKl0Biv4&feature=related) turned into that band.
They have some of the best album titles. Icky Baby? Boredom and Terror? Fake Surfers? So good.
-
For those still nursing love boo-boos or who just want to class up their chill time:
Frank Sinatra & Tom Jobim - How Insensitive - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMsTbI1chdI (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMsTbI1chdI)
Frank Sinatra & Tom Jobim - Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmXQUEDE0ls (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmXQUEDE0ls)
Frank Sinatra & Tom Jobim - If You Never Come To Me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=SZl-k9EMCPY&feature=endscreen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=SZl-k9EMCPY&feature=endscreen)
-
Deja, that was some good stuff.
-
Is anyone familiar with Starfucker? They are coming to town soon. I listened to something on youtube and wasn't impressed so I probably won't go. I just think that they should change their name to Starfuck*ng, or maybe even Starfuck*n'. That way they'd even have an awesome poster.
-
Is anyone familiar with Starfucker? They are coming to town soon. I listened to something on youtube and wasn't impressed so I probably won't go. I just think that they should change their name to Starfuck*ng, or maybe even Starfuck*n'. That way they'd even have an awesome poster.
I like some songs off of Jupiter (I think that's the album's name). I got their Record Store Day release but haven't listened to it yet.
-
The Delgados - Make Your Move - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUk4DU_5mKM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUk4DU_5mKM)
-
There's a song that has the lyrics "birds don't think they're flying, they think that they are walking... girls don't think life is exciting..."
Can anyone identify this song?
-
Return of the Aquabats! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygdV5sOCfl4&feature=watch_response)
I'm really digging the Aquabats. As a huge fan of Weird Al it's right up my alley.
-
There's a song that has the lyrics "birds don't think they're flying, they think that they are walking... girls don't think life is exciting..."
There is a band called The Pacific Ocean that has an album called "Birds Don't Think They're Flying." Maybe from that? Unfortunately it's not on Spotify and the tracks don't seem to be available on the internets.
-
Carlos, I know the song from a mixtape that I think I got from you. That Pacific ocean song isn't it.
Birds don't think they're flying, they think that they are walking underneath the ______
Girls don't think life's exciting they ___
That's all I can remember of the lyrics.
-
Carlos, I know the song from a mixtape that I think I got from you.
Can't be. I'd remember the song, if it was one I liked enough to put on a mix disc.
-
Yeah, I figured if you don't remember it, it didn't come from you. But it fits with your style.
-
"Roman Ruins" by Line & Circle (http://lineandcirclemusic.tumblr.com/post/26927109682/stream-roman-ruins-the-a-side-from-our-brand) is a good-ass song. Wish they'd put out a full-length album.
-
i cant make you love me/nick of time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3VjaCy5gck)-justin vernon(bon iver)
this has been worming its way into my brain and its working its way into my soul.
-
Mac DeMarco - My Kind of Woman - http://soundcloud.com/selftitledmag/mac-demarco-my-kind-of-woman
-
Horns! Bass! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H0VZM3iXOk)
OHH MY BASAL NERVOUS SYSTEM!
Good stuff. I'm really starting to like this band.
-
I liked that one.
-
Holy shit, Father John Misty's Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtOToiIDNRA), both the song and the video.
-
a nice cheerful 80s tune about city life:
new yorks alright if you like saxaphones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q_odSgDQeE)-fear
-
Holy shit, Father John Misty's Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtOToiIDNRA), both the song and the video.
That's pretty cool.
-
Holy shit so awesome (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbSr3wq1DYo).
(Probably even more awesome if you are Canadian.)
-
I just "discovered" Modest penis. It is la bamba. So good, it's even making me consider picking up the guitar and writing some stuff.
Oh you cheeky bastards.
-
Ha ha ha... Modest c*ck!
-
I've never been able to get into Pavement, but for some strange odd reason I totally love Stephen Malkmus. Of course, my opinion is based on a very (http://youtu.be/0DvVYwXqFEE) tiny (http://grooveshark.com/s/Vanessa+From+Queens/2HZdIy?src=5) sample (http://youtu.be/h-UNmW0dXhQ) of the material.
I think I need to expand my Stephen Malkmus collection.
-
I love Pavement.
-
white punks on hope (http://ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCDUhR8vK70)-crass
groovy almost jazzy oldcore
i dont agree with their politics(anarchy is bullshit), but the lyrics are in the info. fascinating and powerfully blunt.
-
My favorite dude's new album is getting lots of attention (http://pitchfork.com/features/cover-story/reader/ty-segall/) which is interesting because I think of his scene as one the Pitchfork crowd is not into. I realize that that is wishful thinking. But there is definitely a sub-stratum of awesome garage rock bands who Pitchfork maybe reviews sometimes but doesn't play up too much, who all play on each others' albums, who never come to St Louis, who I love the most. The eastern outpost is Nashville, and the western is obviously San Francisco.
Whenever bands I like play on late-night TV, the sound is awful. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XtYQHGBgzig)
This asshole is 25 and has put out so many great albums. I have not listened to the new one enough yet to say whether this is one of them.
-
Local rag reviewed (http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2012-11-29/music/the-brainstems/) my roommates' album and got the personnel all wrong. It will be available for free online by the end of the week. Awesome.
I think they are pretty unhappy about the "sounds like shit" comment. They did the best they could with a limited budget. But I don't wanna get in this argument with you guys again.
I have not heard it yet. Anxiously awaiting an mp3 of my favorite song.
-
Aforementioned favorite song. (http://soundcloud.com/riverfront-times/the-brainstems-river-des-peres#new-timed-comment-at-142495)
I love that damn riff at the beginning. Ahhhh. When they play it live it is a tiny bit faster and off-kilter and distorted. Mmmmm.
-
Not too bad. I like it.
-
Aforementioned favorite song. (http://soundcloud.com/riverfront-times/the-brainstems-river-des-peres#new-timed-comment-at-142495)
I love that damn riff at the beginning. Ahhhh. When they play it live it is a tiny bit faster and off-kilter and distorted. Mmmmm.
Heh heh. Sewer Des Peres.
-
My roommates had their big album release party. It was awesome. At the end I was drenched in sweat and beer. All of my friends rocked out and danced and it was great. They put on a really great show. The other band that played was... bad?... and it made my roommates look really good.
Their album is good. (http://brainstems.bandcamp.com/)
-
Their album is good. (http://brainstems.bandcamp.com/)
Giving them another listen now.
-
Fluxblog is a music blog. For the past two years they have put out an end of year round up of the years best tracks. These are huge 8 disc collections, completely downloadable.
These discs have been my music guide for the past two years. I've discovered a lot of great music and artists. I've based most of my new music purchasing on what I've heard there.
I went there to see if they had put up a 2012 round up yet. Instead of that I just learned that they have actually been doing the end of year thing since 2002 (http://www.fluxblog.org/2012/09/fluxblog-2009-survey-mix/).
For some reason the 2009 files have been removed, but all of the rest of it is still there.
-
Lately I am having this impulse where I half-remember the content of a song, and then try to write what I imagine it is. So far I have done this with "100 Years from Now" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvR9EHWdOAc) and "Goddamn Job." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL-lYj9e8l8)
I am happier with the second one, I was playing it and my roommate asked what it was. Definitely good songwriting practice. The 100 Years from Now was just a real bummer that no one wants to hear. But still valuable practice.
-
Holy shit. Angry women and banjo and such (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzBHVEhIrQw) might suck me back into giving modern country a shot.
Don't do it Ash, it's a fools errand. Although, you can put that singer in the Wouldya file. Those Hips!
-
I'm listening to Tonights the Night (http://youtu.be/xp6-E1XRf-E) concert that someone posted to Facebook.
-
Holy shit. Angry women and banjo and such (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzBHVEhIrQw) might suck me back into giving modern country a shot.
They sound like Evanescence with a twang.
-
I am having a Problem where I do not think it is silly to like The Cure.
-
We talking three imaginary boys/boys don't cry? Cause nothing is silly about that/those albums. If its other cure you're on yer own.
-
Those albums, yeah. They are so good. But there is also a place in my heart for Just like Heaven (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS_ux2H473I).
-
Psssst, former Met! I agree with you.
Now I gotta bathe in murine or something, but there it is.
We also agree on intense physical exercise as meditation! And are both probably in the top five percent when it comes to animal shit seen/dealt with.
Really, we just believe different shit, but have similar ways of carrying out what we believe. Like, I cannot be around those people who talk about what they are gonna do and never do it. Drives me fuck*ng crazy and no place in this world for that bs. You are the same I am sure.
-
Like, I cannot be around those people who talk about what they are gonna do and never do it. Drives me fuck*ng crazy and no place in this world for that bs.
This. Also, people who ask me for advice on something and then don't take it.
-
ALSO: PEEK-A-BOO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=O4-sHXbWY6o&NR=1)
I was expecting this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9e7sEkLV8Q). Still, pretty awesome.
-
I was expecting this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9e7sEkLV8Q).
By now, you should know what to expect from Ash.
-
black hole sun(cover) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBZ5bJPDRDs)-steve lawrence and eydie gorme
-
black hole sun(cover) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBZ5bJPDRDs)-steve lawrence and eydie gorme
That was fantastic.
-
Sorry to Love Dubstep (http://youtu.be/_kzXVSGTDa8)
-
Sorry to Love Dubstep (http://youtu.be/_kzXVSGTDa8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kod1q39ddE
-
Zamrock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muQFi8JOOkw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJLmXVrbSY0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uySPdYaf_k0
also, pre best coast best coast?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dugZU0QCYg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX7G-Na-d-s
-
So much The Microphones and Mount Eerie it's not even funny. Completely obsessing about them right now.
Mount Eerie - I Walked Home Beholding - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q4-Ci9gpJ0
The Mansion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hjAc3JpwXg (love the lyrics)
House Shape - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdCNPEeGkgo
Through the Trees pt 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ZWgFv0JDE
-
I was starting to think it was a problem that all I listen to is Bruce Springsteen and Oingo Boingo with an occasional bit of Gaslight Anthem.
I have now stumbled across something new. Unfortunately, I can only buy their music as expensive import CD. Fortunately, there's YouTube:
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcWGdkoo0Fs)
Edit: I meant this link, but I'll leave that one too, it's shorter and with less talking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixvqEnf_7_A (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixvqEnf_7_A)
-
That's a really great band.
-
wombat, that makes me as happy as 3rd wave made me when i was a teenager.
-
I'm so glad you guys like it. I hardly ever or maybe never have anything to share in this thread.
-
I was starting to think it was a problem that all I listen to is Bruce Springsteen and Oingo Boingo with an occasional bit of Gaslight Anthem.
I have now stumbled across something new. Unfortunately, I can only buy their music as expensive import CD. Fortunately, there's YouTube:
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcWGdkoo0Fs)
Edit: I meant this link, but I'll leave that one too, it's shorter and with less talking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixvqEnf_7_A (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixvqEnf_7_A)
Damn that's good!
-
Awesome. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doUNMfLEI70)
-
I was starting to think it was a problem that all I listen to is Bruce Springsteen and Oingo Boingo with an occasional bit of Gaslight Anthem.
I have now stumbled across something new. Unfortunately, I can only buy their music as expensive import CD. Fortunately, there's YouTube:
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcWGdkoo0Fs)
Edit: I meant this link, but I'll leave that one too, it's shorter and with less talking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixvqEnf_7_A (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixvqEnf_7_A)
I like this one (http://youtu.be/LjoHb9PMoT4).
-
lprkn, if you ever have the chance to see them in concert, do it for me.
-
Fluxblog has put up their 2012 Survey (http://www.fluxblog.org/2013/01/fluxblog-2012-survey-mix/).
-
My old desktop computer died. The last thing I'd been doing with it was playing Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra videos. The awesomeness was too much for it.
-
You know, I have no idea what ska is. Are they really playing ska? Or is this Japanese ska to regular ska like Japanese curry is to Indian curry or Japanese pizza with corn and squid on it... you get the question.
-
fuck I love me some ska.
-
I'm always suspicious of Ska bands. It's a niche sound that has developed into a scene similar to the blues, or rockabilly, or punk, which is populated by hundreds of bands that are virtually indistinguishable from one another. It's a trap to play a style of music that has such a well defined sound. It's also pretty lazy.
This band, probably because they are Japanese, and also because of their high degree of musicianship don't fall into that trap.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL6CVwGTyVs
I can't get enough.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL6CVwGTyVs
I can't get enough.
I know those words but that song name makes no sense.
EDIT: Nevermind I get it now.
Incidentally just listened to this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDeW-6yc3tA), I would pay all kinds of money for an album just of the instrumental bit they did at the end.
2 x EDITCOMBO: Turns out that's exactly what the second song Ash linked is. Sold.
-
I am listening to a lot of Kendrick Lamar. Something about his style really bugs me, but I also really like this album. Hm. He does these little things with his voice that drive me up the wall in a bad way.
But then there's fun shit like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypl-fNzadc4) and shit that makes me think or something like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ejyHzz3XE)
-
cheesy extreme metal about 20th century war. SABATON!:
coat of arms (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtax3Fl-UZo)
primo victoria (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT4WTD-iX38)
ghost division (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsdawgd0azk)
history boners!
-
The rules of football (http://www.avclub.com/articles/listen-to-jenn-from-wye-oaks-10minute-joke-song-ab,91379/)
-
The Wombats. Over the years I would occasionally check out something of theirs on YouTube and I always hated it and was sad about it. But a friend just gave me a CD of theirs and it's not bad.
-
raise your hand if you recognize this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJHGxtmKO84) song. the video is kinda cool.
-
raise your hand if you recognize this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJHGxtmKO84) song. the video is kinda cool.
Raises hand. It came my way via a really excellent mixdisc by our own Doc! Consummate Love he titled it. If you don't have it maybe he'll send it your way.
-
Raises hand. It came my way via a really excellent mixdisc by our own Doc! Consummate Love he titled it. If you don't have it maybe he'll send it your way.
i do indeed have it. thats why i asked.
-
Fairport Convention - Tam Lin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy3ihk205ew). The rockingest ballad about fairies you will surely ever hear.
-
Fairport Convention - Tam Lin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy3ihk205ew). The rockingest ballad about fairies faeries you will surely ever hear.
I think if you're talking about a rock ballad then it has to be spelled this way. Also, I'm surprised Led Zeppelin doesn't have any songs in competition. I can't think of any.
-
Mumford and Sons. Have we ever talked about this?
-
Mumford and Sons. Have we ever talked about this?
I remember sMets said something insightful about them. Perhaps it was on Facebook.
-
re: mumford/etc.: i never thought i would think folk music is exceptionally good.
-
Oh man, what? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H90k9934yUw)
This thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wdI5EsdDIo) inspired me to download some various Hawaiian lap steel music, which led to other lap steel, which led to... that thing up there.
-
Oh man, what? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H90k9934yUw)
So excellent.
-
There is something about people emulating American music but with a distinct foreign tinge that I will always be into. But also, just, lap steel guitar is so fantastic. A band I really like (Natural Child) recently added a lap steel player, and it really turned them into something incredible. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ioRwjLPBk8) My friends all hated it and I was just ROCKIN OUT. The new songs that were written with the lap steel in mind are the best... can't wait for their new album.
-
There is something about people emulating American music but with a distinct foreign tinge that I will always be into. But also, just, lap steel guitar is so fantastic. A band I really like (Natural Child) recently added a lap steel player, and it really turned them into something incredible. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ioRwjLPBk8) My friends all hated it and I was just ROCKIN OUT. The new songs that were written with the lap steel in mind are the best... can't wait for their new album.
I want to get a lap steel. I've messed around with a dobro a good bit, and it's got to be pretty similar. I've never spent much time on slide in general, so it would be fun for that reason too.
-
There is something about people emulating American music but with a distinct foreign tinge that I will always be into.
That pretty much describes every Japanese pop song I've ever heard.
-
Bollywood Steel Guitar downloaded.
re: mumford/etc.: i never thought i would think folk music is exceptionally good.
I've never listened, but I'm pretty sure you still don't.
-
But also, just, lap steel guitar is so fantastic.
It's used to nice effect here (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11iz5_neil-young-no-wonder_music#.URNMPWeDl8E).
-
re: mumford/etc.: i never thought i would think folk music is exceptionally good.
I've never listened, but I'm pretty sure you still don't.
Keith has got it right. I was just saying this to someone else - I never listened to these guys because from all the descriptions they sounded like a bunch of Brits imitating a bluegrass band, but it turns out, they are totally not. They are a rock band that knows how to play acoustic instruments and sings a lot of harmony.
As someone who has a lot of experience in folk music - I mean actual traditional music, not stuff written by live people - it always feels to me like people go all "folk! folk!" about music that really only adopts a little tiny bit of folk elements. Apparently it only takes a tiny bit of banjo on a couple of songs to make a group seem very American-traditional-folky to the average listener. When in actuality, many people who love this group would scream and poke their own eardrums out if trapped at a bluegrass concert (myself included).
I'm not saying this to insult those people. I'm just saying, their descriptions of music make no sense to me, so they tend to steer me in the wrong direction, which in this case was away from this group, when it turns out I am really enjoying some of their music quite a lot.
-
I can't speak to their authenticity, I just find them boring, but I've only heard one or two songs.
-
I don't think authenticity is even an issue. They are not trying to be anything other than what they are.
-
Hey, the Mumford boys won the big prize last night at the Grammys. I didn't realize they were British.
-
Everyday should be minutemen (double nickels) day!
-
a rad chill psychedelic jam:
curly giraffe-adolescent love (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m3xu8CedKk)
-
The really fuzzed out/overloaded guitar at around 1:30 into this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2FQ3ih0MoE) is driving me crazy. Also a huge fan of the stuttering drum beat.
-
Shots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCKqInVxc3s), Neil Young & Cra-zy hoss
So Bad-ass
-
That is a neat song.
-
You know what's frustrating? When there's a band you like everything about EXCEPT the singer's voice. Hard to get past that.
I love this song until he starts singing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGZStnCQ79E
-
You know what's frustrating? When there's a band you like everything about EXCEPT the singer's voice. Hard to get past that.
I love this song until he starts singing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGZStnCQ79E
That's pretty much the Achilles heel of every band that never made it.
-
That's pretty much the Achilles heel of every band that never made it.
Having said that I like that song and his voice doesn't bother me at all*.
*Yes, I made my comment before listening to the song.
-
You know what's frustrating? When there's a band you like everything about EXCEPT the singer's voice. Hard to get past that.
I love this song until he starts singing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGZStnCQ79E
I'm with you. Like the music, do not like the voice.
-
HUMP DAY...NOW ENHANCED! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d43gKl9xIME)
I don't guess I ever noticed that dude has a woman's lips.
-
I had the iTunes on shuffle yesterday and an unknown Neil Young song came on. I checked it out and I don't know how it's possible that I've owned Zuma for years and never listened to it.
-
Get Your Fanny Perpendicular (http://youtu.be/JfzDQMIU7Gs)
-
I am listening to the Bird and the Bee covering Hall and Oates (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3zmqWd5E1o&list=UU1b_XrMBNoxPd5HfHV1F2Vg). This is happening because of choices I have made in my life.
-
I played one song off that album on my radio show a lot. Man, that was a while ago! I kind of miss it.
-
Alternating between this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df4AfTSNOSY) and this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3CBdLfGqw)
Lately I am feeling like kind of a dork for being as obsessed as I am with black culture(s). Today I listened to hip hop, ate a delicious spicy sandwich at a cool new Cajun restaurant, sat at a coffee shop listening to delta blues and reading The Warmth of Other Suns.
That book, by the way, is one of the best things I have ever read. I have always been incredibly touched by the stories of people leaving their homes in search of a better life. This book is ruling my brain.
Last night I saw these guys (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMyFhZ5b8Gg) and enjoyed it a lot. The songs with the guy playing drums and the woman on guitar were much better. He gets a lot of good beats out of a 4-piece drum kit.
-
A friend made me listen to some songs by the guy who is the subject of this Oscar nominated documentary called Searching for Sugar Man. Have we talked about this? He made a couple of records in the 1960s that flopped and then spent the rest of his life doing construction work, not knowing he was a huge hit in South Africa, where they assumed he was dead, but finally a guy tracked him down. It is a great story but the production on the recordings is so 1960s that it's painful.
-
wow, I thought "there's no such thing as sounding painfully 60s!" and then I listened to the track on the trailer... wow. Yikes. Painful.
Inspired by Paul, I have been listening to Neil Young tonight. Man, nothing makes you feel like shit like Neil Young. How does he do it? There is no other musician who makes me feel so unbelievably sad. On the other hand, playing Tell Me Why (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynlW5_rnRVE) on the guitar makes me feel great. Even though I have very little idea what he's singing about.
-
wow, I thought "there's no such thing as sounding painfully 60s!" and then I listened to the track on the trailer... wow. Yikes. Painful.
Inspired by Paul, I have been listening to Neil Young tonight. Man, nothing makes you feel like shit like Neil Young. How does he do it? There is no other musician who makes me feel so unbelievably sad. On the other hand, playing Tell Me Why (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynlW5_rnRVE) on the guitar makes me feel great. Even though I have very little idea what he's singing about.
I've been reading Neil's autobiography lately. Dude's a trip.
-
Inspired by Paul, I have been listening to Neil Young tonight.
This morning I woke up with Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown (http://youtu.be/q4XXdESX4-o) stuck in my head.
-
My band covered that at our one and only reunion show in 1995.
-
That...is not what I thought social distortion sounded like? It was alright, I am only posting this cause those lines about running away, but finding yourself there and you can run all your life and never go anywhere- those are like half of the lyrics I write.
-
Lately when it gets warm out (it's been a while) I get this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFfKbxIHD0) stuck in my head. This week I'm going to Nashville for a few days for a garage rock festival... but ever since I heard it's going to be in the 60s I'm imagining linen shirts and this song. All sitting outside the show, cigar, drink with a lime, flirting with girls with my chest hair showing.
We don't have anywhere to stay, so it might be a car camping trip of sweaty rock show guys. Fun.
-
Lately when it gets warm out (it's been a while) I get this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFfKbxIHD0) stuck in my head.
Love that song.
-
This week I'm going to Nashville
Neat, I'm going to Nashville in a couple weeks.
I can't remember if I've already asked, but is anyone familiar with Nashville? What do I need to do while I'm there? Specifically interested in country/bluegrass venues and such but I welcome all suggestions.
-
I have never been to Nashville, but the Bon Appetit article on it makes me want to go there and get hot chicken.
http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2012/02/the-story-on-nashville-hot-chicken
http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/travel/nashville
-
I have never been to Nashville, but the Bon Appetit article on it makes me want to go there and get hot chicken.
http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2012/02/the-story-on-nashville-hot-chicken
http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/travel/nashville
That chicken reminds me of the chicken I had in Asheville last summer (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/8532207428/in/photostream).
-
A bunch of TMBG on YouTube, because I'm taking Lucy to see them tonight.
-
Some catchy, Canadian positivity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGhyL8zg3_I) for you this fine Sunday afternoon. Are you in touch with your inner ninja?
-
pressure drop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRSwjhYmAY4)-toots and the maytals
-
Some catchy, Canadian positivity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGhyL8zg3_I) for you this fine Sunday afternoon. Are you in touch with your inner ninja?
The uploader has not made that video available in your country.
-
My listening rotation lately has been the new-ish Neil Young, the new Eels, the new Hayden and the Built to Spill Caustic Resin EP.
Take from that as you will.
-
The uploader has not made that video available in your country.
What?! That happens to me from time to time with American content too. I don't know how to search for the tune in a way that is US friendly. It's "Inner Ninja" by Classified.
-
I'm listening to my cousin's band's new album! It is truly fantastic. I thought I would share it here for you indie music people. Here's the 2-line review I posted on The FaceSpace:
Listening to it for the first time threw me back to the days of R.E.M., the B-52s, and Alanis Morissette. It's firmly in the Alternative tradition of the mid-1990s, but with a fresher sound that's a little bit jazz and a little bit classic rock. If that sounds like your thing, check it out!
iTunes Linky:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/people-being-human/id614955391 (https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/people-being-human/id614955391)
BandCamp Linky:
http://peoplebeinghuman.bandcamp.com/
My cousin is the female lead vocalist. Of the 3 songs on the Band Camp site, she's featured most prominently on Tay Gun.
-
I'm not hearing R.E.M., B-52s or Alanis Morissette. More of a poor man's Silversun Pickups really. And the trumpet in the band lends itself to obvious comparisons to Cake.
-
Yeah, well. You can tell by how often I post in this thread how much music I listen to -- I don't claim to know much, but I do know what I like.
-
I'm really digging the new Justin Timberlake. He jams on This song (http://youtu.be/-WCnpZruNoo) and on this one (http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/justin-timberlake-pusher-love-girl/n33687/) he's totally channeling Steely Dan.
-
speaking of JT (http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/the-ragtime-gals-sexyback/n33725/)
-
speaking of JT (http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/the-ragtime-gals-sexyback/n33725/)
he and jimmy fallon always get down to some silly-assed and fun shenanigans. those history of rap things they do are the complete and utter shit.
-
So much fuck*ng dub and good reggae the last like week and a half. It is almost a problem.
-
This is where I'm at (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E929gqIcwwI) by this point on Thursday.
I once did a tribute photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2387067916/lightbox/) to that album cover.
RE
SPECT
WALK (http://youtu.be/DpMbR8jWZ6A)
-
Kick ass. I saw Pantera, Sepultura, and Prong many many years ago in Albuquerque. Not a show I'd normally go to, but a buddy won the tickets so what the hell. Prong and Pantera were actually pretty good live. Sepultura made no fuck*ng sense at all. "A BLAAH BLAAHH BLAHH BLUUUUAAHHH!" in a deeper Cookie Monster sort of voice. He did say "ALBUQUERQUE MOTHERFUCKERRRRRRRRRS!" to start the show, but that was the only thing I understood the whole set.
-
In the Mood (http://youtu.be/pZtomQS8JkE)
-
Lots of bluegrass. I've seen one amazing bluegrass show in Nashville and one pretty damn good one, on my first two nights here. It's pretty much all I've been listening to in the car driving around town.
Tonight, Nick Cave.
Tomorrow...?
-
Listening to OutRun (http://www.myspace.com/kavinsky/music/songs?filter=recent) by Kavinsky. Favorite tracks so far are First Blood and Odd Look; seems like good night-drivin' music.
-
CROM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xteoc9zrC2w)
-
You should be dancing. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuCmSIX1bh8)
-
Lately I am listening to The Men a ton. I saw them live the summer before last, and since then they have put out two really different albums. When I saw them they were basically doing a fuzzed out shoegaze punk thing. Since then they've put out songs I love like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFBCuDrXxwA) pretty little ditty, this great anthem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj_ke-B7Fv0), and of course, still some straight up rock-out songs. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSFAtieNonE) My roommates who were really into their first album don't like the new stuff as much as I do. But I like it a lot.
My favorite band in the world (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5PUfa-yYwQ) put out a new record. I've only listened half a time, and I'm pretty into it so far. It sounds like they all went out and bought new equipment or something... all of the sounds are very different than anything else they've recorded.
My friend who is into them the most has said it might be his favorite out of all of theirs. Goddamn do I love this band. They'll never come to St Louis and I am pretty pissed about it.
-
A fuzzed out shoegaze punk thing.
After missing Jason Molina's entire career I feel compelled to click on every link in this thread lest I miss something good.
-
Captain CAVEMAAAAAN (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtGiKViYdGo)
-
Initially read that as Jason Momoa. I was trying to imagine what his ouvre consists of, other than Game of Thrones and Conan the Barbarian (rebooted).
edit
Wikipedia tells me Momoa's kid is named "Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha Momoa" That's going to be hell to bubble in on standardized tests.
-
I recently came to the realization that Lars Urlich is a terrible drummer. As a consequence I now find Metallica hard to listen to.
-
I realized that about Lars right around the time I realized Ringo had been, in fact, a great drummer. Meg White confused me at first, but I liked what Jack had her doing. Dave Grohl is my favorite drummer, and whether he's the best matters naught to me. Offhand, I can't name any lousy drummers other than Lars, just bands I don't listen to.
-
FTFY
Well yeah, that's a given, but I don't care about that or even want to know anymore than I have to. But his shitty drumming can't be overlooked.
-
I realized that about Lars right around the time I realized Ringo had been, in fact, a great drummer. Meg White confused me at first, but I liked what Jack had her doing. Dave Grohl is my favorite drummer, and whether he's the best matters naught to me. Offhand, I can't name any lousy drummers other than Lars, just bands I don't listen to.
I never thought Lars was a good drummer, but I never realized how terrible he is. Barely competent. I've always known Ringo was great. I've been in more than a few internet arguments with ding-a-lings that think he sucks because he never played anything flashy.
Dave Grohl is the best drummer of his generation. He's the John Bonham of Grunge or whatever.
Meg White, for a drummer she has really nice tits.
-
Meg White, for a drummer she has really nice tits.
I still can't hear her name without thinking of this (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12042006).
-
Purchased Pig Lib (http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5058-pig-lib/). I'm a Stephen Malkmus fan now.
-
Right around now is the time of year when I pull out the Country Blues Guitar books and start trying to make my right hand do two things at the same time. It's rough. This mental/physical discomfort is the feeling of learning something. My goal is to learn a simple version of this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nKkw4nkifa8)
-
I finally listened to Brassft Punk last night. It's 4 New Orleans jazz-style covers of Daft Punk songs. It's better than it sounds but still a novelty record.
-
Pennywise Jones sounds like a Dr Who companion.
-
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7gMkiOPSeA) is what i imagine would happen if Ray produced an AKKOLADE music video.
-
If you're going to Canada you gotta go check out Tragically Hip (http://youtu.be/zd-x9H6lfMs). They got put on a stamp (http://exclaim.ca/News/rush_tragically_hip_guess_who_beau_dommage_honoured_with_new_canadian_stamps) yesterday.
I posted this photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/8660228651/in/photostream) in tribute.
-
Hooray for Canada! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=4gfjoAyqfLs&feature=endscreen)
-
The scientifically-determined greatest Canadian song of all time (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjfTDPhMdTk).
-
Hooray for Canada! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=4gfjoAyqfLs&feature=endscreen)
We've discussed this before. Neil Young is an American now.
-
We've discussed this before. Neil Young is an American now.
Whatever. Hooray for Neil!
-
Anybody got 9 hours (http://dangerousminds.net/comments/bauhauss_bela_lugosis_dead_time_stretched_to_a_brain_melting_nine_hours_1) to kill?
-
Tres Hombres Baby!
(http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/7e/7efe341d_TresHombres.jpg)
Have Mercy (http://youtu.be/MDEHZNirvF0)
-
I guess today was the day. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VExw77xJsBQ)
RIP Possum.
-
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/381454_10151558343562593_1352942486_n.jpg)
That is a serious vert. How the who? My guess is a jump off the speakers?
-
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/381454_10151558343562593_1352942486_n.jpg)
That is a serious vert. How the who? My guess is a jump off the speakers?
Cocaine.
-
Currently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q0JFcKgmKQ
-
As someone who once bounced one of these (http://cars-database.com/data_images/models/pontiac-firebird/pontiac-firebird-03.jpg) off a wing wall and around a support pier while on the way to school, I was pleasantly surprised to hear this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxxajLWwzqY
-
election rock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KGmHsKsa-U)
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8dTSLQPiU
I think August/Paul would appreciate this.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8dTSLQPiU
I think August/Paul would appreciate this.
August/Paul? Sounds like some weird hybrid creature with titillating facial hair.
Anyway, this half of the horrifying genetic atrocity liked the song.
-
Tix in the mail http://www.songkick.com/concerts/16510629-awol-charlotte-at-symphony-park
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8dTSLQPiU
I think August/Paul would appreciate this.
I like it. Sounds like the Black Keys.
-
Today I saw Birdcloud (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_XGwF2DIqM). I am confused, because while this video is pretty good, it is not at all what my impression of them was from their live performance. Live, they were... physically ugly, and had much twangier southern accents, and were drunk, and singing songs that were incredibly vulgar.
At the end of a song about how hard it is to be a good Christian woman and save it for marriage, one of them got down on her knees and unzipped the other's #####. There was a harmonica in there somehow attached to her underwear, and she played a solo on it. Incredible.
-
I saw The Knife tonight, and it was really fuck*ng awesome.
-
Dangerous motherfucker raises hell
And if I ever get caught I make bail
See, I don't give a fuck, that's the problem
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MrQtOoQRpc)
Heck yeah, Monday, I takin' your ass.
God I love that one.
-
At least it's good jogging music. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq85G-EdFEI)
-
I know I say this junk way too much, but I can't believe that I live in a time when I can be trying to figure out a song on the guitar, look it up, and find a video of a dude born over 100 years ago playing it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwjGytOVVQA)
-
I know I say this junk way too much, but I can't believe that I live in a time when I can be trying to figure out a song on the guitar, look it up, and find a video of a dude born over 100 years ago playing it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwjGytOVVQA)
No shit. We're getting spoiled by the magical shit we have available to us.
I'm trying to resolve to not get irritated when the obscure content I've located on the internet doesn't load onto my phone fast enough to suit me.
-
I'm trying to resolve to not get irritated when the obscure content I've located on the internet doesn't load onto my phone fast enough to suit me.
Louis CK and David Foster Wallace are kind of my spiritual leaders in this area. Specifically, not being a dick in modern times.
-
I guess I have been in an old school state of mind lately.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XixYWPrNHsk
-
When are you cosmic cowboys going to get it in your head? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS8Hi-HAIgs)
Possibly my favorite Weird Al song. His take on hippie culture in the 70s.
-
Yeah, when this was released in '81 it was part of the '80's movement to take the '70's out back and put it in the ground.
Ran across this site (http://internetkhole.blogspot.com/) earlier and been thinking about the 70s and 80s all day.
-
Heh. I found Paul (http://internetkhole.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2011-10-20T17:00:00-07:00&max-results=16&start=2&by-date=false). About a third of the way down the page.
I kind of figured it might happen.
-
That one and the one right after it. Those are both me.
I'm pretty sure I'm higher than hell in both of those photos. Good times!
-
That one and the one right after it. Those are both me.
Well it is, isn't it. How about that.
Beer tastes even better when you're submerged in river/lake water, doesn't it?
-
Beer tastes even better when you're submerged in river/lake water, doesn't it?
It's actually the ocean, but yeah!
-
Coincidentally ran across this thread on Metafilter (http://ask.metafilter.com/241515/Just-saw-Total-Eclipse-of-the-Heart-for-the-first-time-More-please) yesterday and was also thinking about the 80s all day.
And some of these (http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/63188/rembert-explains-the-80s-men-without-hats-safety-dance) are amusing as well.
-
I just watched a movie called Fat Kid Rules the World. It's not a great movie, although I did enjoy it. But I really loved the soundtrack. I would watch this movie again just to hear the incidental music. I paid special attention to the credits to find out that the music was done by Mike McCready of Pearl Jam. If you happen to watch this film pay special attention to the music. Especially the scene where the hero reaches his nadir.
-
I just realized how good of a name birdcloud is.
-
It is very hard for me to not repeatedly listen to the best rock and roll song ever recorded: Dirt by The Stooges:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxYXV2RrwIs
I say best rock song somewhat flippantly (it is certainly tied with like 100-1000 others for that top spot though), but seriously, a perfect groove that doesn't really change, the perfect amount of guitar and guitar effects, and lyrics that anyone with any type of experiences and ability to think about their life can associate with, sung by someone who sounds infinitely cooler/harder/more experienced than you- does it get better in rock than that? Oh- and the lyrics are depressing but also uplifting.
here are some other, different sounding, perfect songs:
Olivia Tremor Control- Jumping Fences: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUjd6DHAutU
Bob Dylan- It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biqqz0aoOtY
Queens of the Stone Age- The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l0nzPpvbFs
Cloud Nothings- Hey Cool Kid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1A3LKdgljM
JEFF the Brotherhood- Bone Jam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9wmFRSVAKw
Quix*O*Tic- Anonymous Face: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=970CL4BIMU4
and like a few hundred more (I didn't even include Cinnamon Girl! Or the Pixies, or the Damned ororororororor). Also, personal story time: One time I was listening to the last song with my roommate. We had just gotten high on herb and were going to go to a party- he was all, hey, lets go after this song. His ipod or whatever was accidentally on repeat one, and the album cut of that song doesn't have the space at the end- we probably listened to that song for 20 minutes before we realized and left.
-
But, well, two more maybe you haven't heard
Electronicat- Wop Do Wop- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKeXA_QhL6M
Elton Motello- Jet Boy, Jet Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B2D2gwms0
-
I got pretty excited for Baths' new release (here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1zbKlC9YDU in its entirety) , but it quickly fell on the meh side. No Past Lives is damn interesting, tho': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dvAJWWVrkE
Also discovered Spiritualized and am digging it. Hey, it's only been 16 years...
-
Spacemen 3 might be my favorite band! Spacemen 3 is definitely the only band shirt I have.
-
Also discovered Spiritualized and am digging it. Hey, it's only been 16 years...
Which album(s)?
-
Man, they are all good- well, up to and including Ladies... The one right after has a few choice cuts as well. I also have a setlist from a Spiritualized show. That is literally the only band merch type stuff I own, the shirt and setlist, neither of which are band merch really.
-
Which album(s)?
Well... Ladies and Gentlemen We're Floating In Space. Any other I should look into?
-
Well... Ladies and Gentlemen We're Floating In Space. Any other I should look into?
To me that is their undisputed masterpiece. But it's the only album I've spent a lot of time with. I liked Lazer Guided Melodies and Let It Come Down just fine, as far as I can recall. And then the two most recent albums are OK. But I've only listened to each maybe twice.
Keith clearly knows a lot more about J and his discography, especially the Spacemen 3 stuff. Which is very much worth a listen.
But Ladies and Gentlemen..., that is a remarkable album. I saw him perform it in its entirety with a band and like full gospel choir a few years ago. Pretty fuck*ng awesome. I saw him recently and it was good, but not nearly as good as the Ladies and Gentlemen... show.
-
You guys know anything about various musics of Brazil? There is a great local radio show (http://kdhx.org/play/radio-shows/radio-rio) that has gotten me interested. All I know is Caetano Veloso. All I want is polyrhythms. Now I realize they put their playlists online, but I always like hearing suggestions.
-
You guys know anything about various musics of Brazil?
Hello there.
Ahm, ok, no, actually I don't know as much about Brazilian music as most of my friends, but I suppose I can give you some names.
Tom Zé: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U74Qo9PyKQ8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U74Qo9PyKQ8)
Secos e Molhados: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrxMlfCP_pw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrxMlfCP_pw)
Nação Zumbi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbmUN1x7A7o (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbmUN1x7A7o)
Chico Science: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu3mcjjx9O0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu3mcjjx9O0)
If you want to fall in love, there's always Céu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1NHsMb2OwM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1NHsMb2OwM)
This is a medley put up by an American DJ (I think he is American, can't really look into it right now). If you dig around this link you prolly can find the individual Brazilian artists that appear in the medley. Anyway I'm putting this here because the samples are all killers (go after the other medleys, they're also awesome): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-MiBMSHDn8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-MiBMSHDn8)
Baden Powell and Vinicius de Moraes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBAS4realQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBAS4realQ)
I'm a think of more stuff to put up here later.
-
Well... Ladies and Gentlemen We're Floating In Space. Any other I should look into?
Hey I've got that one. I listened to it and it kinda bored me to death.
-
Thank you for turning me on to the Aquabats. Here's a can.
-
I would totally love to do that. All the young ladies want to touch my moustache (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/8909330208/).
-
I'm totally into The Band again suddenly. Yes, they are awesome! ...I shall be released...
-
I'm totally into The Band again suddenly. Yes, they are awesome! ...I shall be released...
If you haven't, you should check out Levon Helm's last two albums. Great stuff!
-
I've heard good things about that and I shall check it out eventually.
-
Hey Inev did you see this?
http://pitchfork.com/news/50789-the-replacements-announce-first-shows-in-22-years/
-
I did. Good news.
-
yeah, I saw that. I wish it were not in Chicago.
-
Dogggggg. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rq5G03uK6Q&list=FLQ1lMSuFBlDO8JNmHuEUB2A)
you better STOP (stop) like 60 seconds in gets me every time. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeXSPdWZPc0) J Dilla is the best. I want to find infinite albums where people create textures like this out of old soul and funk and jazz songs.
DJ Signify (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kETThHhWg4g) is close.
-
Man, I was so into donuts a few months ago, so good. Never listened to anything else by him, should I?
-
I am not sure. I got some of it, but I don't think I have delved deep enough into Donuts yet to move onto another one. I need to start listening later in the album, instead of starting at the first song every time.
-
Also Jorge Ben Jor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYPbXMCI9zM&list=PLDA8C56A9F44C4FF9
Is this too well-known?
-
Oh guys I'm downright gruffling this bad boy at the mo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHMrJNZaatE
-
idgaf what anybody thinks, pharrell is making some damned good pop music.
with daft punk: get lucky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NV6Rdv1a3I)
with robin thicke (?!): blurred lines (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDUC1LUXSU)
-
Also this: Sunbather: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfbLWHT7vUU (and I don't even like metal)
-
i was at a bar tonight for a friend's wife's surprise birthday party. the missus has to work in the morning, so i walked her back to the car at a little past ten. twelve or so minutes later, i walked back into the bar and noticed that the live "band" had given up the ghost and let a dj take the wheel. i requested that "blurred lines" song i recommended a few posts up, and it came on within a couple minutes. i heard it and started dancing.
immEdiately, the hottest waitress in the joint started dancing with me. she had to check on a table, though, at which point a gorgeous girl from a nearby table got up and started dancing with me, at one point grinding so deep i had to step away. and then the waitress was back, only not grinding because she worked there. that goddamned asshole idiot deejay fuck*ng only played the first motherfuck*ng third of the damn song! GODDAMNIT I WAS DANCING WITH HOT GIRLS FUCKER, KEEP THE SONG GOING!!!!
so yeah that's a good song
-
Hott!!!
-
Man, I was so into donuts a few months ago, so good. Never listened to anything else by him, should I?
I like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ncSt5xC8Uk
I have a bunch of his stuff but really only listen to Donuts and that song. I'm kind of obsessed with Donuts. The album and the food.
-
The ultimate Bro Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl0nrP35jF8) for Ultimate Bro Friday Friday Friday.
That rocked. Never gave Pennywise much attention before.
-
That Blurred Lines song is, as they say, rapey.
-
Listening to my playlist on random and came across this little gem (http://youtu.be/oDuz_PRnAMk). Wilson Pickett doing a cover of Born to be Wild with Duane Allman on guitar.
-
My random playlist is really working for me today. It just threw out this beauty (http://youtu.be/paKSwEzjlLA). As I recall, I first heard of Odetta via mixdisc I acquired here. From our little Furry Batman. What was his name again. Anyway, I would have never known about her otherwise.
-
That Blurred Lines song is, as they say, rapey.
how about this version? sorry, it's jimmy fallon (http://youtu.be/YOZjaqHioro) reviving a gimmick, but he's got robin thicke there -- and tariq's lyrics are SO MUCH BETTER than t.i's from the official recording.
(by the by, i've heard the opposite argument about the song being rapey, that the singer's character merely respects the agency of the woman to whom he's singing, accepting her advances, implied to have happened just before the song began)
-
re: blurred lines:
the song is hella catchy and fun and cool. the neptunes did a rad job. i think the lyrics seem misogynistic, yet, choops idea sounds plausible.
the thing is, robin thicke is like, a C-grade R+B singer. he only gets maybe one video/radio hit per album. if thats the one, then its a good hit.
-
how about this version? sorry, it's jimmy fallon (http://youtu.be/YOZjaqHioro) reviving a gimmick, but he's got robin thicke there -- and tariq's lyrics are SO MUCH BETTER than t.i's from the official recording.
(by the by, i've heard the opposite argument about the song being rapey, that the singer's character merely respects the agency of the woman to whom he's singing, accepting her advances, implied to have happened just before the song began)
I've listened to this song a few times, get its appeal, don't hate it, don't love it and have never read about it. I get the sense that he is doing exactly what you say in your second paragraph. There is some line about being the hottest girl in the place that makes me feel that way.
-
antelope ceremony (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jweTgFV48J8)-tomahawk
i have a half chub for mike patton.
-
If I could be lead singer for a Fantomas cover band, I totally would jump at that in a second.
-
Does music convey emotion or just cause emotional responses in people or is that the same thing?
Edit:and this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2l-V6KygkFU ...I'm assuming that is right, can only watch the single version on my phone.
-
For some reason I've been listening to a lot of neo-80's stuff like
Infinite Quazar - Palmtree www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eXPlyzrT_Y
http://fortune500.bandcamp.com/album/grand-prix
Guess I'm just craving some easy synths as soundtrack for a dull workday.
-
Man, the B-52's are bizarre!
Unrelated, but related to my Burning Man post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMgwAE1oxdU
I have this on cd- there are three cds and it is fantastic- I think this is the first cd- best Woody collection- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUiVRIuCOCY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qqedFPZVbg
-
Does music convey emotion or just cause emotional responses in people or is that the same thing?
Edit:and this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2l-V6KygkFU ...I'm assuming that is right, can only watch the single version on my phone.
I would say it communicates emotion. The composer knows what the sounds mean to him/her and makes the sounds with the goal of expressing those feelings to the audience.
-
Do you all have those songs you listen to and everytime you do you just think, man, why do I ever listen to anything else?
Some of my examples are natural one- folk implosion, barbarism begins at home- the smiths, any hank williams song not by luke the drifter, suicide- spacemen 3 and gates of eden and it's alright ma (I'm only bleeding)- bobby d.
Oh also, the tracks between maggies farm and tambourine man on bob dylans bringing it all back home are the best 4 songs ever next to each other on an album maybe?
-
Tangled up in Blue, Me & Bobby McGee, Run to the Hills, Victim of Changes, Come Out and Play, What It's Like, This is the New Shit....so many. All of those at one time or another have brought tears to my eyes or sent chills down my spine. Hell, so has Detroit - Rock City and Toy Soldiers.
-
blugrass-y/pop-roots-rock/country/whatever cover of that new miley cyrus song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7JgVqbh8nE)
not bad
-
i haven't heard the miley cyrus song, but i like that cover.
-
With Marshall Tucker it can't be wrong.
-
Rediscovering The Bends (http://youtu.be/BDGRc_krpYg).
-
blugrass-y/pop-roots-rock/country/whatever cover of that new miley cyrus song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7JgVqbh8nE)
not bad
I like it.
-
1 - The excellent eletrocheesy soundtrack for the anime Cyber City Oedo 808. It's like making saxofone sex to a neon woman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3uUBhoeGqk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3uUBhoeGqk)
2 - This album by Flying Lotus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rmFTc51Zk0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rmFTc51Zk0)
3 - This piece by Schubert (excelent to listen to before going out of the house to, say, punch hell of suckers in the mouth and tell chicks straight up that you like them) : www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELEq1MA8m8Q (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELEq1MA8m8Q)
-
blugrass-y/pop-roots-rock/country/whatever cover of that new miley cyrus song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7JgVqbh8nE)
not bad
I don't exactly know why, but I really can't stand ironic bluegrass covers of pop songs.
-
I think I know why but I don't want to be a bring down. I am right there with you man.
Oh, and the rap ones have the benefit of being racist as fuck!
-
2 - This album by Flying Lotus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rmFTc51Zk0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rmFTc51Zk0)
I liked that a lot.
-
I don't exactly know why, but I really can't stand ironic bluegrass covers of pop songs.
Yup, I am right there with you. So many things going on there.
-
2 - This album by Flying Lotus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rmFTc51Zk0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rmFTc51Zk0)
I love Flying Lotus so much. He has a station in GTA V and it's pretty cool.
-
I don't exactly know why, but I really can't stand ironic bluegrass covers of pop songs.
What if they covered it because they actually liked the song? Would you like it then?
-
What if they covered it because they actually liked the song? Would you like it then?
Good point. I'm not crazy about it but I don't see the irony. Musicians of one genre have been covering songs from apparently disparate genres forever.
-
What if they covered it because they actually liked the song? Would you like it then?
Do you think they really like that song so much they want to make it a part of their repertoire?
Good point. I'm not crazy about it but I don't see the irony.
Perhaps you're right. More likely it's a cynical bid to trick Miley Cyrus fans into listening to their music.
-
Here is a song for Inev. http://blog.kexp.org/2013/09/18/song-of-the-day-dessa-call-off-your-ghost/
-
no way, more like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQVZaeEmkOA)
I am approaching One Year of Brooklyn Zoo and I have never loved it more.
I KEEP PLANETS IN ORBIT. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JszWAP8wVvU&list=FLQ1lMSuFBlDO8JNmHuEUB2A&index=54)
There is a part in Savage Detectives where a character talks about how young men want to make art for desperate people in desperate times, while old men make art for contemplation-- it's a better business strategy because everyone is always getting older. Fuck that.
-
Chillin' with The Square (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnoMrUt4tlw).
-
Le-let's do this:
Ed Motta - Balendoah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtGStWf1CjI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtGStWf1CjI)
Antonio Adolfo e A Brazuca - Transamazonica: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9fIjWAUAbo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9fIjWAUAbo)
Beto Guedes - Pedras Rolando: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3caPnozzP8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3caPnozzP8)
-
Le-let's do this:
Ed Motta - Balendoah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtGStWf1CjI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtGStWf1CjI)
Antonio Adolfo e A Brazuca - Transamazonica: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9fIjWAUAbo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9fIjWAUAbo)
Beto Guedes - Pedras Rolando: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3caPnozzP8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3caPnozzP8)
You're gettin' all 1972 up in here.
-
Most true. Someone invited me to a Brazilian Music group in Facebook and it's truly an embarrassment of riches. Will share more soon.
-
My really talented roommate recently did a one-man performance of his songs, and I was so impressed. Obviously I can hear him playing in the basement, but seeing it all put together up on stage was awesome.
Now he released recordings of some of them and I do not love the way they were recorded. I think he has said he wants to record them "for real" but someone wanted to release his basement tapes and he said sure.
Also, I don't want to have this argument again but they were released as tapes.
I really like all of his (the ones that say Strong Force (http://eattapes.bandcamp.com/album/jungle-green-strong-force-split-2)) but my favorites are In a Hole and Azrael. He did a cool thing with a guitar pedal on In a Hole that is completely awesome, I can't stop being impressed by it. Especially live, seeing someone making these weird glitchy noises was very cool in the middle of a set of fingerpicking.
-
Yesterday I put my guitar in a weird tuning (I guess it is just Open D) and learned to play this song, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0C22Ms5N1Q) which is incredibly satisfying. Real Estate might be some kind of Indie Rock Kryptonite for me. They are so wimpy, but the guitars kill me. Especially when the bass drum accents each super-reverbed note (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5cM_43GXNU). So good.
-
A Hee a Hee Ha Hee (http://youtu.be/jofNR_WkoCE)
-
Every thursday my roommates DJ at this goofy bar, and it is getting more and more popular. I am a huge fan of this song they always play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHiqPG0526U). The video captures something about my experience with dance music. Primarily consumed by dorky guys with headphones. I really love dancing, but something about it is really desperate and lonely to me. The best dance songs have a strange edge of sadness to them.
Something about masses of people dancing and getting drunk always makes me sad. So many people seem so lonely. They just want to make a connection. But instead they (I) dance intensely in the corner alone with their eyes closed. I couldn't dance when I was dating The Ex, and I think she thought I was lying when I said I was a very good dancer. I couldn't get into the mindspace to do it. Being drunk, lonely, near friends but feeling alienated, wanting desperately for someone to notice me but not wanting to approach anyone. Every time I go to this bar I drink a tiny bit too much and try not to stare at the cute girls. I have a fun time but leave feeling kind of drained. Also bewildered by the weird performances you see. The faces girls make when they are trying to dance sexily are really strange. Either completely blank, or kind of confused/concerned, but with a little smile. "I'm grinding my ass against his dick, is this right? Is this what I do? I think I'm doing it right. This is fun, right?" The dudes who come are all really into homoerotic dancing as a display of male bonding.
-
Interesting timing, Inev. Someone on Facebook posted about the "80's New Wave Dance Party" that is tonight at the club we went to all the time in college. If I was still in that neck of the woods, I would totally go. After I turned 21, Wednesday nights were frequently spent at the "Alternative Dance Party" at this club, which was alternately the source of much fun and much angst, trying to meet girls and doing a really bad job of it. Now it would be frickin' awesome to go back there and just dance to that music.
-
Yeah, my roommates used to mostly play funk and disco stuff, but as it got more and more crowded they have gravitated towards modern things. It's hard to imagine what hearing Daft Punk in 20 years will feel like.
This thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU1CDSP7FRk) always makes an appearance too. What a perfect song.
-
Damn, trying to imagine hearing this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQN6hgS-hL0) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VKzWLUQizz8#t=32) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nluWMKOnSTY#t=35) in 20 years. Holy shit. It would be especially weird because I have to go to an effort to remember the names of these songs, but during college there was a period of time where I got very drunk and danced to them at least twice a week. It's not like I cruise around in my car listening to this stuff.
-
American Sharks (http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/09/jesu_has_a_new.html). Ash, you might like these guys.
-
Amazon MP3 download of The Head and the Heart's new album: $9.49.
Amazon CD order of that same album, which includes a free MP3 download: $7.99.
OK then. Of course, if I bought the CD, I'd either have to pay shipping, or find another $27 worth of crap to order to get free shipping (not $17, because Amazon just jacked the amount you need to spend to get free shipping). In any event, I'll wait until next month's eMusic credits to order that.
With this month's eMusic credits, I ordered the new Avett Brothers record, and the acoustic solo record by Broken Social Scene's Brendan Canning. I just got tickets for the Avetts at the end of February--have never seen them live, so I'm very much looking forward to that.
Other recent pickups:
Okkervil River "The Silver Gymnasium"--really like this.
Neko Case "The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You." An interesting album that I suspect will grow on me over time. She makes some unusual lyric choices, I think.
Iron & Wine, "Ghost on Ghost." More than any artist I can think of, you can hear Sam Beam's music changing and branching out with each subsequent release. And to a fair degree, I appreciate that; he's not just putting out the same album over and over like some bands I could name. But on this one, with some crazy jazz horn section shit going on, I find myself thinking, "Remember that sparse, pretty acoustic stuff you used to do? Maybe you could do that again."
Volcano Choir, "Repave." The Justin Vernon songs sound just like Bon Iver, imagine that.
-
Just got back from seeing my favorite guys in Chicago, and now I am listening to some pretty intense ringing in my right ear. Somehow managed to leave both pairs of earplugs at home. Damn.
That band is so fuck*ng good. Jesus.
-
I agree, but everytime I've seen them no one I see them with does.
Ash- so good. Their version of Police and Theives is fuck*ng awesome. It is maybe my favorite drug song in that it works with every single type of high?
My current, uh, 5th (?) favorite pysch revival act (that's pretty high up!!): http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EM-e9yTrwFY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEM-e9yTrwFY
-
An' if I get aggression/I give it two times back (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArL94OjZSAU)
Listening to that I am coming to realize why I never liked the Clash too much. It might be because the drumming is so weak.
-
Iron & Wine, "Ghost on Ghost." More than any artist I can think of, you can hear Sam Beam's music changing and branching out with each subsequent release. And to a fair degree, I appreciate that; he's not just putting out the same album over and over like some bands I could name. But on this one, with some crazy jazz horn section shit going on, I find myself thinking, "Remember that sparse, pretty acoustic stuff you used to do? Maybe you could do that again."
I was all prepared to link you to this year's Bonaroo Super Jam, but then realized that it wasn't Sam Beam, but Jim James that hosted it. I guess I tend to get Iron and Wine and My Morning Jacket confused with one another for some reason. Anyway, the Bonaroo Super Jam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_hntLGPecc&feature=share&list=SPRtmuDXerkCWT5Jk3UtcYiZrhgj2eyVou) is really great this year.
Amazon MP3 download of The Head and the Heart's new album: $9.49.
Amazon CD order of that same album, which includes a free MP3 download: $7.99.
OK then. Of course, if I bought the CD, I'd either have to pay shipping, or find another $27 worth of crap to order to get free shipping (not $17, because Amazon just jacked the amount you need to spend to get free shipping). In any event, I'll wait until next month's eMusic credits to order that.
I had a similar situation occur when I bought 'New' the latest from Paul McCartney. The MP3 album was $9.99, but it was only 12 songs. It didn't include the extra 2 songs that you get on the "Deluxe Edition." for $14.88, which also comes with the download. To get the two extra tracks you had to buy them individually for $1.29 each which brings the Download only price to $12.57. Hey, that's only $2.31 extra to get the CD too. So I went ahead and did it. But then I forgot that I would now have to pay tax and shipping which brought the total to $19.90 which isn't nearly as good of a deal. Oh well, I'm happy to have the disc. It's a really cool package.
-
Right now I was listening to this out of nostalgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQLLIUvwFs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQLLIUvwFs). CONTEXT: "Tempo Perdido" is easily one of the 10 most iconic Brazilian rock songs. Everyone growing up in the 80s onwards in Brazil has that melody and those lyrics grafted into their basal limbic system. I'm even kinda curious to hear your opinions on it (we're very aware of how Smiths-y these guys sound, but, hey, it was the 80's).
-
I am really into this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCLsfJ7OrV0) my roommate introduced me to through his DJing. At first I hated it, but something about it is awesome. Interesting hearing an older version of a lot of the dance music tropes I love. The guitar and keyboard solos are awful, but power through, it gets good again after them.
-
The piano chords that start at about :23 remind me of Chicago's Saturday in the Park.
This song is hell of catchy. It's weird to find songs from the 70s and 80s I've never heard that are actually pretty good. Sometimes it feels like I've heard everything good from a certain era and then the internet comes through once again.
-
Right now I was listening to this out of nostalgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQLLIUvwFs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQLLIUvwFs). CONTEXT: "Tempo Perdido" is easily one of the 10 most iconic Brazilian rock songs. Everyone growing up in the 80s onwards in Brazil has that melody and those lyrics grafted into their basal limbic system. I'm even kinda curious to hear your opinions on it (we're very aware of how Smiths-y these guys sound, but, hey, it was the 80's).
I like this too. Yeah, I think you could play it for a casual Morrissey fan and convince them he cut some international tracks.
-
That not-Johnny-Marr guitar is making me sad. Is most basic arpeggios.
-
The piano chords that start at about :23 remind me of Chicago's Saturday in the Park.
Yeah, I can hear that.
-
I'm feeling in a romantic mood (http://youtu.be/XIdtouvPLsA?t=1m7s).
-
I just discovered The Gaslight Anthem. (I know -- I am way out of the loop.) It's the first new ("new") band I've listened to in a number of years where I'm like, "Yeah, I'ma go ahead and buy this whole album." Yay me?
-
Yay indeed. Those guys are awesome.
-
I just discovered The Gaslight Anthem. (I know -- I am way out of the loop.) It's the first new ("new") band I've listened to in a number of years where I'm like, "Yeah, I'ma go ahead and buy this whole album." Yay me?
When I went to check them out I got apprehensive because the ad that preceded it was for 30 Seconds to Mars who sucks, right? Actually I don't really know because I've never actually heard them. I've been meaning to for quite a while actually because I wanted to provide context for this (http://screen.yahoo.com/first-dates-with-toby-harris/dates-episode-8-music-090000062.html) episode of First Dates where he quits the date before it begins because the date listens to 30 Seconds to Mars.
Update: Gaslight Anthem is okay. 30 Seconds to Mars is pretty lame.
-
When I went to check them out I got apprehensive because the ad that preceded it was for 30 Seconds to Mars who sucks, right? Actually I don't really know because I've never actually heard them.
WHY FIND OUT
-
Just going electronic for the moment. The kids are alright, yeah. People with a good sound system/headsets and... enhancements, gather round and munch:
GuMMy†Be▲R! - What Makes You Cry? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UNxjLxCq_0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UNxjLxCq_0)
Oneohtrix Point Never - Power of Persuasion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqN3wKteg0Q&feature=share&list=ALGLx1orRGw4Vxo-cMv-y7BuIwNDTOQVY4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqN3wKteg0Q&feature=share&list=ALGLx1orRGw4Vxo-cMv-y7BuIwNDTOQVY4)
Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiwi7d0f91Y&feature=share&list=ALGLx1orRGw4Vxo-cMv-y7BuIwNDTOQVY4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiwi7d0f91Y&feature=share&list=ALGLx1orRGw4Vxo-cMv-y7BuIwNDTOQVY4)
-
Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica:
Hey, I know that one. It shows up on the 2011 Fluxblog Survey Mix (http://www.fluxblog.org/2011/12/fluxblog-2011-survey-mix/).
-
The other night the radio was on and tuned to the local jazz station. I normally don't listen to it because they play some really annoying shit, but before I changed it I heard this Tony Bennett duet. I didn't recognize the female vocalist and was surprised to learn it was Lady Gaga. Maybe because I'm not familiar with her work I've thought of her as a Madonna style entertainer. So basically not a great vocalist. But she sounded really good. I looked for some live performances just to confirm it, and yeah, I'm not an expert or anything, but I think she's a great vocalist.
Just me?
-
Just me?
I like her. She writes her own songs too.
-
Here's a video from when she was still Stefani Germanotta and just sang and played the piano.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM51qOpwcIM
-
This song (http://youtu.be/-DkslcOhytU) came up while listening to Fluxblog 2009 Survey finally for the first time and instantly recognized it. It took me a couple of minutes to realize it was the theme song to Portlandia. Pretty cool chilled out vibe.
-
I love that song. Oh man. Great tune.
-
Today, on repeat:
Johnny Bristol - I Wouldn't Change A Thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbgr9cP-keg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbgr9cP-keg)
-
Should I start my day like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVWp8HEMXIc)?
I mean the title is aimed right at me so I guess hell yeas and such.
Psychedelic Jungle is so totally the best!
-
Today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu-ihs4BkAs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu-ihs4BkAs)
-
Today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu-ihs4BkAs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu-ihs4BkAs)
Enjoyed that.
Should I start my day like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVWp8HEMXIc)?
And this.
-
dance of the headless bourgeoisie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUITb_PvpHA)-nomeansno
this song makes me feel all kindsa jazzy and upbeat, even though its dark as fuck.
-
The best band with the worst name (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aP8MDARRPk) played a good show last night. They just don't give a fuck, they want to have fun and play the most epic guitar possible. I've compared them (and I"m sure I am not original here) to Andrew WK with guitars. The two songs they have videos for are not my favorites, because that is how songs work.
Cool part: I guess my roommates played a show with them a while ago, so they went up and said hi. The guys in the band were incredibly friendly, happy to see them, and remembered all of their names. More importantly, my other roommate walked up and told them that he would LOVE to design a shirt or album cover for them, and they reacted really enthusiastically and offered him a lot of money right off the bat. They said they make most of their money from t-shirts, and try to have new ones every time they go on tour to a place that they've been before. Awesome.
The openers (http://The openers) were also great. I was disappointed they were out of t-shirts in my size.
-
This is the kind of shit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zru_mgJmBjA) that makes me wish I knew scales and time signatures and things. God fuck*ng damnit. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_1eHJOpe8Y) Those guitars, the bass, mannn. I tried to see these guys in New York in 2008 and couldn't figure out where they were playing. God damnit.
Meanwhile me and my roommates have trouble doing anything but jamming on E. MAJOR.
(because one guy who insists on playing literally does not know what a key is, and one guy named Inev freezes up and can't remember anything as soon as other people start playing)
In 2 months we are having a band party at our house. The concept is that we make a sign-up list, and your band gets 15 minutes. The goal is to have as many bands as possible. We'll set up a PA, drums, a keyboard, 2 guitars and a bass, and the bands will just come up and play and then leave. You can play covers, originals, whatever. Right now there is dissent about how many bands one person is allowed to be in... my impulse is to start like 6 temporary bands. Country band, punk band, noisey guitar pop band, etc.
Also: I have never understood when people compare certain types of guitar playing to "masturbation" and now i get it. Playing corny blues licks is really fun, and feels great, but I don't want anyone to hear me do it. It's embarrassing, and the idea that I would do it in public is mortifying. Lately I am stuck on this thing that sounds kind of like this song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnX-FOLvrTY) I guess I would not be embarrassed to play blues lead while someone sang. But hearing myself playing little riffs on a blues progression makes me realize immediately why headphones exist. Nobody needs to hear that.
When I play shit that sounds like something REM or the Archers of Loaf threw out 20-30 years ago, though, everyone in the neighborhood needs to hear that.
-
It's a Thanksgiving (http://youtu.be/IRKhqdb8EoE) thing.
-
not for anyone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n5hA5LFx14)-hot water music
-
ALSO: SHIT & GODDAM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HpU21pYW78)
You should check out Live at Slim's (http://youtu.be/-RqthrZG7go). Same songs, much rawer. It actually predates the studio album. I too was turned on to EODM by this board via our old long lost friend Slink, who, if you recall was nuts about anything Mark Lanegan related.
-
Oh man, I did not know what EODM meant, so good...that first album!!!
Also, I have maybe listened to San Berdoo Sunburn more than any song. It's up there for sure. And Whorehoppin'!
-
The Fiery Furnaces, Lost at Sea (http://youtu.be/6uhfUQulpX8).
When you download 10 years of Fluxblog annual survey's (http://www.fluxblog.org/2012/09/fluxblog-2009-survey-mix/) in less than a weeks time like I did it's naturally going to take awhile to sift through and process. If the record industry is paying attention it will notice that I have actually bought a few records from some of the artists I like the most on these surveys. Artists I would have never heard of if not for these surveys. The latest being The Fiery Furnaces.
This is actually the 4th song of theirs to come my way via mixdisc. I guess it takes awhile for some things to sink in. Either that or Lost at Sea is the first song to really catch my attention.
The first thing I noticed about it is the similarity in melody to Saturday in the Park (http://youtu.be/EEm7IY6wrSw). Wikipedia says they've broken up so I guess I discover everything too late. :(
-
All this time... they were rocking out in Catalunya... all this time... and we didn't know... http://www.rdio.com/artist/Refree/album/Nova_Creu_Alta/
-
Fuck you, Spanish bands. Just... fuck you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkJH743gGBc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkJH743gGBc)
-
Overall fantastic sounds, but some of the more subtle vocal techniques here are just mindblowing: http://sahelsounds.bandcamp.com/album/music-from-saharan-cellphones
-
Listening nonstop to this mix. (http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2011/08/30/bomboclat-island-soak-2-a-rocksteady-mixtape/) The transition from old-school ska to early reggae, it's basically tough soul music with a Jamaican tinge. Awesome stuff for driving in the snow.
I mean, REALLY. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9KLtIQZBbs) When I listen to this stuff I forget why I ever like other kinds of music. Also, music with this rhythm taught me how to dance. Something about the emphasis being on the off beat made my teenage brain finally understand that dancing is about finding the beat and moving around within it. Not just stomping down on every downbeat.
-
The Pizza Underground (https://thepizzaunderground.bandcamp.com/)
-
^Poor Culkin's on the junk again. Or was he ever not
-
Snowy day requires motivation music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRLl2yVrJzE
-
currently shaking my ass to:
got to give it up pt. 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeLjT4nrUTQ)-marvin gaye
-
url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeLjT4nrUTQ]got to give it up pt. 1[/url]-marvin gaye
Oh yeah!
-
Anybody doin' the jazz? I ain't no luddite, I like (some) metally stuff as much as the next dude, but GOD DAMN, WYNTON MARSALIS COULD PLAY A TRUMPET WITH HIS GOD DAMN SCHLONG AND I'D LISTEN TO EVERY NOTE!
Here's a fifty-minute concert of old school New Orleans jams for ya. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnpQZ_gGY68)
-
HARD LESSONS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtiMCOULlbk) Don't come cheap!
I love loud fast aggressive music, but when it abandons all pretense of melody it loses me.
-
I love loud fast aggressive music, but when it abandons all pretense of melody it loses me.
I am really fascinated by how over time, my sense of music has changed so much. Recently I listened to REM and a lot of it was WAY too corny for me. At the same time, old country songs that used to be too sweet for me seem just right now. And noisy stuff that I used to hate just seems so damn catchy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOStqtwmD6s)
-
im not angry enough for most of that aggro shit anymore. i used to floorpunch and throw elbows to hatebreed and XthrowdownX and lamb of god with all the dudebro's. now i own a bunch of killswitch songs and thats good enough.
-
noisy stuff that I used to hate just seems so damn catchy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOStqtwmD6s)
Welcome to pavement-town, dude! I too used to hate on the whole distorted 90s grunge thing, but only in the last few years have I realized how nice and melodically rich these kinds of jams are!
For some great throwback/revivalist songs in the same vein, I'd check out Yuck! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy9gqZBVMaA) The whole album is so dang catchy, and the way these guys have with melody just really evokes some feelings in me that I don't quite have a grasp on.
-
Man, I want to like yuck (and do like them) but ALL of their fuck*ng songs are about you and I and that bugs me. Use some god damn proper nouns, or at least fuck*ng pronouns.
Also, if I know inev he liked pavement already, just not that song?
Edit: you and I might be pronouns?
-
Yeah, I phrased that horribly. The REM experience was recent, the other examples were over the past few years. I have liked that song and that band for a while. It was just another example of how my ear for music has changed over time.
-
Ah, my bad. But the Yuck recommendation still stands, even though I'm afraid to relisten to that album right now, lest Mr. Hernandez's observation becomes the only thing I can hear!
Maybe I'll have to give REM a second (third?) chance though. What would be a good place for a former hater to start, inev?
-
Edit: you and I might be pronouns?
Yes.
-
Maybe I'll have to give REM a second (third?) chance though. What would be a good place for a former hater to start, inev?
With REM it's more about where you stop.
-
I stick with the hipster classics mainly, yer murmers and reckonings, ya know. Though Monster and Green have some great tracks and New Adventures in Hi Fi is actually fuck*ng classic (usually I don't listen to people over like 35 that have more than 2-3 albums. N A in Hi Fi and Paul Westerberg Stereo only two counter-examples I can currently think of.)
Also, speaking of when you quit bands...I have been getting back into the Flaming Lips hard. Y'all know that up until (and NOT including) Yoshimi they are the best band (non-Modest penis pre Good News division, and the Talking Heads and and and and), yeah?
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4_0vyJfwuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n62w20H5foM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ec1AEwm1q4
I mean, that is a fuck*ng band time shift I can get behind? That sentence is not what I wanted it to be, but hopefully it makes sense. I don't know how to fix it currently. All three songs awesome (and representative of the era's awesomeness for them) and a dope progression as a band.
-
I date girls a lot younger than me and usually they are hipsters (I am a really young looking aging hipsterish guy), it is a shame what bands like Modest penis and the Flaming Lips do to themselves. This one girl with great music taste was all, oh, this is awesome, who is this...it was Modest penis. She didn't realize that at one point they were good, cause all she knows is kid bop and that shitty ship album.
-
You mean there was a time when the Wayne Coyne Experience™ wasn't all stereotypical hallucinogen bullshit? In all seriousness, though, people been yelling at me to listen to Soft Bulletin for years and I just haven't. I might have just been pushed over the edge.
-
And speaking of missing the boat of hipsterish shit:
WHY HAS NOBODY TOLD ME THAT CAN IS AMAZING. Sorry for the caps, but this song is just a good good good song——so is all of Ege Bamyasi, for that matter. It just grooves in the best possible way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyJzv4AFZXc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyJzv4AFZXc)
I foresee a Krautrock excursion in my near future.
-
I have been getting back into can recently! fuck*ng incredible. Tago Mago is the one I listened to the most...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar1k6JMQs0c
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fAv0-TAE1UE
I've said this here before, but I saw Flaming Lips at the OKC Zoo after whatever whatever mystic. I was on E. I heard about how great I was for longer between songs than the songs lasted. I did not hear This Here Giraffe or Christmas At The Zoo. Pretty pretty awful. Not really a bad (poser) trip, but maybe the most miserable I've been on some type of psych because of outside sources?
-
In all seriousness, though, people been yelling at me to listen to Soft Bulletin for years.
You should listen to those people.
Also, speaking of when you quit bands...I have been getting back into the Flaming Lips hard. Y'all know that up until (and NOT including) Yoshimi they are the best band (non-Modest c*ck pre Good News division), yeah?
I'm the guy that loves the albums that you consider terrible. I mean, I can hardly listen to most Modest penis, but Good News blows me away and Yoshimi... Do You Realize is the best song they've ever made.
-
yeah, Can are the best. So, so, so good. I like Tago Mago the most, but Ege Bamyasi has some great tracks.
-
I have been getting back into can recently! fuck*ng incredible. Tago Mago is the one I listened to the most...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar1k6JMQs0c
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fAv0-TAE1UE
This is 60s psychedelic rock. Pretty good. Have you heard Black Mountain (http://youtu.be/pGG7DJdqJN4)?
-
Also, you like newer hipsterish shit? Like, the growlers?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lFEtBNxsWmI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlFEtBNxsWmI
Or IDK, this one band Sunny Ali and the Kid made 2 awesome eps...best coast was incredible before the got signed (I know, I know), the black lips and black angels (pre last album) are both really good. Thee Oh Sees are pretty good and Ty Segall is good but sometimes bad. On phone or would link more.
-
I'm the guy that loves the albums that you consider terrible. I mean, I can hardly listen to most Modest c*ck, but Good News blows me away and Yoshimi... Do You Realize is the best song they've ever made.
I remember that now...Pink Floyd too. Sorry? No offense?
-
This is 60s psychedelic rock. Pretty good. Have you heard Black Mountain (http://youtu.be/pGG7DJdqJN4)?
Hell, let's take it back to the source. Have you kids ever listened to Quicksilver Messenger Service (http://youtu.be/vUHlxBZMiqw)? How about Spirit (http://youtu.be/k7MQ5rxUZsc)? Jefferson Airplane (http://youtu.be/zs37zM2B66E)?
-
Also, you like newer hipsterish shit? Like, the growlers?
Never heard of 'em.
I remember that now...Pink Floyd too. Sorry? No offense?
No offense taken. The only response I'm likely to have to you not liking Pink Floyd is possibly pity because they are fuck*ng awesome and you are missing out on it.
-
I have listened to the first and third, and moby grape or whatever that bands name is. More of a 13 flr/early Floyd early pysch guy. It always seemed like I should like surrealistic pillow and crown of creation but I never actually did. Maybe I'll try again.
I liked that black mountain song, but one of my favorite bands (spindrift) opened for them and they were bad enough to lose all hope w me.
-
Never heard of 'em.
Did you like it/click the link?
-
The United States of America?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWS2IXsLf0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdtWS2IXsLf0
-
I liked that black mountain song, but one of my favorite bands (spindrift) opened for them and they were bad enough to lose all hope w me.
I discovered Black Mountain when the opened for the Mountain Goats of all people. I had an opposite reaction. They blew me away. Here's a pic (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/11430953286/).
-
Specific use music where you just put your fist in the air, your head against the wall and scream is situationally useful for me.
Today: 5FDP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf5STiPnbBU) - The Way of the Fist.
That has way more melody than that other thing you posted.
-
I stick with the hipster classics mainly, yer murmers and reckonings, ya know. Though Monster and Green have some great tracks and New Adventures in Hi Fi is actually fuck*ng classic
R.E.M. is my favorite band ever and I largely agree with this. I would say listen to Fables of the Reconstruction and Life's Rich Pageant, and then depending on which one you like better, either go back in their catalog (for the former) or forward (for the latter).
Stipe's Law says that the overall quality of any given R.E.M. record is indirectly proportional to the comprehensibility of the lyrics.
"Leave" from New Adventures in Hi-Fi--OMG so good a song.
-
I was perusing Pitchfork's top 50 albums of 2013 and came across Parquet Courts, a band I didn't know. They were no. 40. The description sounded interesting so I Googled 'em up. I found this video (http://youtu.be/a5CvZTIoir8). My first thought was that Inev. would really like them. Then I thought that Keith might like them as well. Then I realized that I like them too.
-
I really like that!
-
wow, I literally just downloaded that album. Like. In the past 10 minutes.
-
Still perusing the Pitchfork list I got to 17 and Haim. I used to be more in touch with the music scene I guess, because back in the day I would have t least heard of a band before they got to the playing on SNL level of success. I liked the description, but I'll admit I was also swayed by the 3 good looking sisters playing pop music together aspect. Anyways, I wound up really digging this song (http://youtu.be/aOaQBiP1_qA) they played on Saturday Night Live.
-
I don't know if this belongs here or in the sports thread.
So anyway, Bootsy Collins wrote a Christmas song about Payton Manning (http://deadspin.com/bootsy-collins-made-a-christmas-song-about-peyton-manni-1484487062).
-
that haim chick has INSANE AMOUNTS of bass face
-
oh my god I can't handle how she sings. ughhhh delete delete delete.
-
oh my god I can't handle how she sings. ughhhh delete delete delete.
Well you've got Johnny Marr (http://pitchfork.com/news/53389-johnny-marr-not-fan-of-spotify-haim/) on your side.
-
figures that the video for that song is them dumping their dorky hipster boyfriends. Now I feel like I fell right into their trap.
-
figures that the video for that song is them dumping their dorky hipster boyfriends. Now I feel like I fell right into their trap.
Ha ha...
According to my iTunes playlist I've listened to this Arcade Fire song (http://youtu.be/Ab2DDmwYVQw) 38 times, but that doesn't include the 3 times I've played the video today. The singer is super cute.
-
And noisy stuff that I used to hate just seems so damn catchy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOStqtwmD6s)
I think I've mentioned this before, and I don't know why this is exactly, but to me Pavement is meh, but I really dig Steven Malkmus solo stuff. He has his own Ice Cream flavor (http://pitchfork.com/news/53395-stephen-malkmus-the-jicks-get-cinnamon-and-lesbians-ice-cream-flavor-from-momofuku-milk-bar/) now, by the way.
-
Glad that you have the opportunity to go over someone's top 50. On Slate's year-end music discussion someone lamented that we're all listening to the same thing. I don't think that's true, or at least no more true than it used to be. Yeah, fine, everyone knows Daft Punk and Miley Cyrus, but when I look at Pitchfork's year-end list, or eMusic's, there is so much that I've never even heard of, and I think I'm more up to speed on music than the average person. It's that long-tail thing. I just don't have the time to explore it all.
-
Holy shit, today took a swerve into Diddley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lch0o4wwGyw).
Good stuff.
-
Holy shit, today took a swerve into Diddley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lch0o4wwGyw).
Oh hells yes
-
Dispatch from the past —— Soft Bulletin is frickin' GOLD
-
HARD LESSONS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtiMCOULlbk) Don't come cheap!
One thing I did like about that vid, it made listen to Spiral Architect (http://youtu.be/ESFH1gNsARw).
-
Cœur de Pirate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWgE_cPvqQU) is from Quebec, and she's pretty great.
-
2013 year-end mix. It is titled "flomp"
1. Pickwick “The Round”
2. Cayucas “High School Lover”
3. Veronica Falls “Teenage”
4. Wild Cub “Colour”
5. Avicii “Wake Me Up”
6. Honor By August “Already Yours”
7. Fang Island “Asunder”
8. Turnpike Glow “1986”
9. Okkervil River “Down Down the Deep River”
10. Little Green Cars “Angel Owl”
11. The National “Humiliation”
12. Phosphorescent “Song for Zula”
13. Tallest Man on Earth “There’s No Leaving Now”
14. Volcano Choir “Tiderays”
15. Neko Case “Ragtime”
16. Dum Dum Girls “Lord Knows”
17. Elvis Costello & the Roots, “Wake Me Up”
18. Daft Punk “Doing It Right”
19. Memory Tapes “Sheila”
20. The Head & the Heart “Gone”
The Spotify version swaps out another Wild Cub song, because for some reason the one I prefer isn't available. Also, this doesn't fit on one CD, but whatevs, we're all over CDs by this point, right? If you want actual MP3s let me know and I'll make them available.
spoti.fi/JfbZ8Q
-
If you want actual MP3s let me know and I'll make them available.
Yes, please.
-
When I was a kid I was a serious devotee of the Midnight Special, but I never saw this (http://youtu.be/whnFjLyKc7U). Holy Shit AC/DC is bad ass!
-
When I was a kid I was a serious devotee of the Midnight Special, but I never saw this (http://youtu.be/whnFjLyKc7U). Holy Shit AC/DC is bad ass!
Thanks for sharing, that's awesome. That's a great song.
Powerage might be my favorite AC/DC album. The Australian Dirty Deeds (I have an issue with the side 2 sequencing so I usually listen to my own version, and the US release is garbage because it doesn't include Jailbreak) might be tied for first but they both kick ass.
Bon Scott era AC/DC is so fuck*ng bad ass.
-
This is so cool. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sdtOpE_3aQ) Electronic music is so cool. Dance music is so good.
-
Just imagine how soulfully John Coltrane would have wielded a penis. Jimi Hendrix could have made an Excel spreadsheet dance.
-
^ okay the filter has me baffled this time. Although I'm a man of ladies, I'm sure Coltrane wielded his peen with gusto and decorum
-
What filter?
-
sista big bones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT21MqxOQtY)-anthony hamilton
-
Hot Dog (Watch Me Eat) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrHIqEr6b08)
Fuck yeah, Limmo. The Detroit Cobras are still the kind.
Definitely!
-
PYT(michael jackson cover) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV3QbjiS5qs)-wood brothers
this is one of those AV club covers series. they range from golden to 'meh' to other than noteworthy. IMO, this one is halfway between golden and 'meh', but its hella fun.
-
im 'bout to get political up ins:
reagan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU)-killer mike
(i dont necesarily agree with the ideas presented, but it got me to thinkin'.)
-
Man, I'm addicted to Migala. They were a spanish rock band from the 90's whom I always neglected to listen to back in the day. Now I'm listening to their 4 albums nonstop.
I don't know if this will work, but: http://www.rdio.com/people/EltonMesquita/playlists/7878920/migala/ (http://www.rdio.com/people/EltonMesquita/playlists/7878920/migala/)
-
Doesn't appear to be working. At least not for me.
-
fingering (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9lQD8WdYgg)-tony rosales
yes, i have a nametwin who is a jazz pianist with a pony tail
-
I don't know if it came from leftfield, but this song (http://youtu.be/6ODfe5017h4), which I haven't heard in years, and don't really like that much to boot, was bouncing around inside my head this morning.
-
fingering[/url]-tony rosales
You think this song is about playing lots of notes on the keyboard, but it's really about something else.
-
you know how those jazz musicians are.
-
fingering (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9lQD8WdYgg)-tony rosales
yes, i have a nametwin who is a jazz pianist with a pony tail
I have a name twin who's a jazz guitarist. Perhaps we could get together an entire TOUAMB name double jazz combo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ9om8ZMbWg
-
all my name twins play sports :(
-
My sorta-name-twin is also a jazz pianist, when he's not predicting the downfall of dinosaur colonies. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eFdyd5fovk)
-
My name is actually Elton John.
It really is.
-
Doesn't appear to be working. At least not for me.
Hove some Migala:
Tucson, Game Over: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvWw9BTplvU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvWw9BTplvU)
The Guilt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUwoVScV1QM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUwoVScV1QM)
El Imperio del Mal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHaSiFezoQ8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHaSiFezoQ8)
-
Guys, you know how singing is difficult and shit? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4It44mYw2I (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4It44mYw2I)
-
.......... Elton John?
-
Uncultured people in poor places sometimes give their kids flashy-blingy names. Every country has their versions of your "Shantayquillas" or whatever. But I'm not complaining, it could have been a lot worse (it could have been "Michael Jackson").
-
No one comes up to me and asks, "Are you the John Wallace?"
(http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Cards/Basketball/9261/9261-139Fr.jpg)
(The answer is, "Of course, but the guy you're thinking of is 5 years younger than me"
-
"Of course, but the guy you're thinking of is 5 years younger than me"
It says right there that he's 44.
-
My name is actually Elton John.
It really is.
Are you named after the famous singer or did you obtain this name organically?
-
I have no idea how it went. I'm guessing they saw the name somewhere and thought "bling".
-
Jeeezz. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSTSD2EhMUI&feature=kp) I like Animal Collective very much. I remember when I did not like them... and then at some point I read that they think of themselves as creating music after the spirit of electronic music, but with acoustic instruments. So as I came to really appreciate electronic dance music, I appreciated the form of their songs. Building to an ecstatic explosion.
It is interesting to me that "experimental" music would converge with dance music, which to me is very utilitarian. What an amazing thing music is.
-
Music and dance are inextricable, I think. We only do one because of the other. When we're talking about "music you can't dance to", its because we have taken the concept to an abstract level that can't be physically performed - but I think the listeners are performing a mental dance as they appreciate it.
-
Uncultured people in poor places sometimes give their kids flashy-blingy names. Every country has their versions of your "Shantayquillas" or whatever. But I'm not complaining, it could have been a lot worse (it could have been "Michael Jackson").
Or Michael Bolton.
-
I normally hate this sort of thing, but this (http://youtu.be/kJ3BAF_15yQ) cover of Sweet Child O Mine really swings.
-
When Brazil was young, full of promise, full of beans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UnVmG-DDhY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UnVmG-DDhY) and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mf3SQ3dVz8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mf3SQ3dVz8)
-
Just one more Villa-Lobos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xGrjWt1hco (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xGrjWt1hco)
-
What do you guys think of Royals by Lourde? I'm not that crazy about it, but apparently it's super popular. Am I alone in thinking it's not that good?
-
you're not alone, but i'm not with you. did you see the springsteen cover? i think it has some good writing, her voice is great, and its production was smart. i don't think it's a perfect song, but i enjoy it.
-
So what do you guys think of Neil Youg's Pono (check the video at the bottom of the page; those videos got me kinda in the mood)? www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/03/12/289435279/hear-neil-young-explain-his-pono-music-player-at-sxsw?utm_campaign=music&utm_source=nprmusic&utm_medium=facebook (http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/03/12/289435279/hear-neil-young-explain-his-pono-music-player-at-sxsw?utm_campaign=music&utm_source=nprmusic&utm_medium=facebook)
-
What do you guys think of Royals by Lourde? I'm not that crazy about it, but apparently it's super popular. Am I alone in thinking it's not that good?
I think it's OK. What I found interesting, though, were the articles saying "That song sure is racist."
http://feministing.com/2013/10/03/wow-that-lorde-song-royals-is-racist/
I found this annoying (and so did a lot of other people) because it seems to be saying hip-hop is above reproach, because if you criticize it in any way you're racist. While I have no doubt that there are racist people who dislike hip-hop entirely because it's largely made by black people, I think the focus on material wealth is a perfectly legit thing to react negatively to.
-
Just so you know what's on a loop in my head today (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VPtFzh6Ye4)...
That rocked!
-
I don't think I'd ever call Kurt Cobain a hero, but I wanted to hear a lot more of his music than I got to.
-
I don't think I'd ever call Kurt Cobain a hero, but I wanted to hear a lot more of his music than I got to.
I feel fortunate to have seen them live, even though to be honest it wasn't that great of a show. Have I told my weird story of meeting Kris Novoselic?
-
no, you haven't told that story, I don't think. Kurt Cobain was my hero when I was in high school. Now a lot of Nirvana doesn't do it for me as much anymore.
Saw my roommates' bands' first show with their new songs last night. They've taken a lot of the kind of... bad... songs and smashed them apart and re-combined them to make awesome stuff. The more standard garage rock "I drive a tough car" "I love you baby" songs got mashed together into a weird extended jam with kind of Devo-style deadpan vocals. The new stuff is tight too. Excited to hear their new recordings, which they just finished with. They are definitely still a band that is being pulled in opposite directions by different members, but getting more and more tight and fun. The cool punk guys who book shows insist on referring to them as something like "garage rock goes to college."
-
Kurt Cobain was my hero when I was in high school. Now a lot of Nirvana doesn't do it for me as much anymore.
I was almost 30 when Nevermind came out, but still I was totally into Nirvana for quite a number of years, but yeah, now a lot of Nirvana doesn't do it for me as much anymore either.
You might enjoy this (http://youtu.be/DGPbHUZQ-VE).
-
Has anybody mentioned The Strypes (http://youtu.be/JRs5G5j0SEs)? Dang, these guys are channeling the Yardbirds! I'm really digging it. It's simple, direct and rocks!
-
Must be different than these guys:
(http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/stryper-club-nokia.jpg)
-
holy shit, what are those guys, 17???
-
holy shit, what are those guys, 17???
Wikipedia says 16-18, so yes!
-
Yesterday I went to my friends' DJ night and there was no one there. I sat in the corner reading Invisible Man and heard THIS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx7Cidd_Rew) which made my life feel great.
There was an important moment in my music-appreciation life sometime in the past 3 years where I realized Fleetwood Mac, previously the band I hated the most, are awesome.
I'll never stop being mad, though, about the afrobeat cover of this song I hear in my head. Can you hear this song being played on a jangly guitar with lots of polyrhythms? Holy hell. I swear to god I heard it somewhere, but it doesn't exist.
-
Fleetwood Mac are a really good pop band from the 70s. I used to really enjoy them, but like most radio friendly music I've become burned out on them. Maybe I've put them on the shelf long enough that I can listen to them again.
For what it's worth, Fleetwood Mac has reunited with Christine McVie (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/fleetwood-mac-announce-reunion-tour-dates-with-christine-mcvie-20140327).
-
Power Glove - Maximum Potential (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdcskfqXH5I)
In the 80's Dolph Lundgren released an exercise video called Maximum Potential that featured an original synth soundtrack. Said soundtrack was never officially released outside of what appears in the VHS tape, leading some 80's music fetishists to go kind of insane trying to find the tracks or recreate them.
-
Wow, that's some high octane 80s right there. I had to check to see whether I was wearing a pastel leisure suit and stubbly beard.
-
Wow, that's some high octane 80s right there. I had to check to see whether I was wearing a pastel leisure suit and stubbly beard.
Don't forget the topsiders and Ray Bans. Accessorizing and all that. Also, left earring.
-
Today I'm listening to a really kick ass mixdisc prepared by our own Asherdan. It's really got the right amount of aggression for the day I am having.
Have another can, sir.
-
say hey(i love you) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehu3wy4WkHs)-michael franti & spearhead
-
For the most part I really liked "Neon Bible" and "The Suburbs," but the new album just does nothing for me.
My heavy rotation at the moment: Typhoon's "White Lighter," Local Natives' "Hummingbird," and the Band of hosss acoustic album.
I got the new The Hold Steady album, have only listened to it once so far. Going to see them Monday night, I think, assuming my friend actually gets the tickets.
-
What, are Arcade Fire over already? I was just getting into them.
-
leather jacket (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiglIHTfX84)-joyce manor
this is punk rock and its energetic, but its not upbeat.
-
Mayor, I've liked what I've heard of Band of hosss, what would be a good starter album?
Their first two albums are both really good. By the way, I saw them (https://flic.kr/p/7xKZU3) perform in Salt Lake City about 2-3 months before their first album came out.
-
See how they deal with a fan stage diving.
-
Paul McCartney Got it Wrong (http://youtu.be/yK-tT8KBMtE)
-
Mayor, I've liked what I've heard of Band of hosss, what would be a good starter album?
I like them all, but if I was to recommend one for you to try first it would probably be "Cease to Begin."
-
Right now I'm just consuming vacuous vaporwave. I don't know, there's a lot of chaff but once in a while you stumble upon something that's just the right mix of killer beats soaked in eerie dementia. Such as http://fortune500.bandcamp.com/album/hypermedia-p-p (http://fortune500.bandcamp.com/album/hypermedia-p-p) and http://blankbanshee.bandcamp.com/album/blank-banshee-0 (http://blankbanshee.bandcamp.com/album/blank-banshee-0) and please, please, please, watch this: http://jonrafman.com/betamale/ (http://jonrafman.com/betamale/)
-
^ Yikes, I didn't think I'd be watching that Oneohtrix video again, but fate would have it that i get to stare at the world's grodiest keyboard right before lunch.
Here are a few prettier ones to cleanse the palette:
Luxury Elite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2cKx5KhsZs)
And a classic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RFunvF0mDw).
-
Tim Follin - Time Trax Genesis Soundtrack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_IJYc9t3vQ)
Music from a cancelled video game based on an obscure Australian Sci-fi TV show. Someone managed to find a prototype of it in 2013, almost 20 years after the game was shitcanned.
-
Alex Chilton plays Sugar Sugar (http://youtu.be/vDLgrQv2rgs)
-
I've been listening to so much replacements...I never travel far without a little big star!
-
I had never heard of Jesse Winchester before hearing that he died on Friday. And now I wonder why the hell not. This is just about the most beautiful thing I've ever heard, plus it made Neko Case cry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uKGWpqnS8E#t=20
Speaking of Neko, this tweet is for Ash: https://twitter.com/NekoCase/status/455164502569254913
-
A friend from England I've never met in person. We met via Flickr. As well as being a very talented photographer she's also a talented singer/songwriter/guitar player. She recently teamed up with another singer and they've released their first music (https://soundcloud.com/country-folk). Wombat, I think you might like this.
-
let me teach you how to eat (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H96XcNWKZVg)-reverend horton heat
the video gives me a psychobilly freakout in my #####.
-
Not entirely unrelated, spent this week rocking out to Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra.
Because life motherfuckers.
-
Today Doc wins!
-
The world remains a strange and wonderful place:
(http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120626033106-botswana-heavy-metal-rengades-horizontal-gallery.jpg)
Metalheads of Botswana (http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/29/world/africa/botswana-heavy-metal-heads/)
-
It is indeed a strange and wonderful world.
-
New track by my guys (https://brainstems.bandcamp.com/track/nervous-conditions), they took a few songs I didn't love as much and combined them into something new and awesome. I'm going to miss hearing them play in my basement when I leave.
-
I thought those guys broke up or something.
-
Black Sabbath (http://youtu.be/n-mc7D6hs5U)
-
That. Whoa. Crazy kewl.
That's Beth Gibbons from Portishead singing.
-
Today I have a soundtrack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7PdEoOsXqk) that fits my day.
That hit the spot. Nice dinner music.
-
I got your Sabbath cover right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsmCj1YNWH4&feature=kp
This was awesome as hell live, many many years ago.
-
New albums by tobacco and the oh sees both fuck*ng awesome.
It took me a while but I've been realizing thee oh sees are the best band of the last tenish years or whatever.
-
+1, agree. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDDyP-SvZXE)
I saw them play this song in Chicago a few months ago and was overwhelmed by the urge to quit my job immediately. Forget saving money for school, forget being responsible... the point of life is to live and you only get once.
...but, you know, I'm a wimp.
Something about this new album sounds like a different band. Maybe it is recorded differently? Different amps or something? They have always been a band with a very particular sound.
-
That song is the most different song of their last 4 albums. Carrion crawler/the dream probably the first album I heard by them? Or the album that song is from- Floating Coffin. Inev is probably better at that then me, at least with that band.
Tobacco- Fucked Up Friends (album)- get it!!! Also, new one called Ultima II Massage, get it too.
-
carrion crawler/the dream is great. Maybe their most coherent album. Even my mean ex liked that album.
the album with the song you didn't like is one of my less favorite albums. But it also had this riff (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R44Qh2P7wo0).
-
That song is the most different song of their last 4 albums.
Oh, but I fuck*ng love that song. It does to me what it does to inev.
-
Yeahhhhhh roommates. (https://brainstems.bandcamp.com/album/cold-sweatin)
yes Paul, they did break up, but then the guy who moved away came back. Because San Francisco isn't all it's cracked up to be.
This one's got it all. Cool songs that switch around to different stuff (Holy Ghost/Hunger Hole, and Nervous Conditions), straightforward fun rock music (Onion Rings, Moocher), weird cool spaced-out rockers (Cylindrical, Fruit Tree). Tonight they are playing downtown and then going on a mini-tour (St Louis, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus) to their hometowns.
Rock music!
Ever since it was on Mad Men this is majorly stuck in my head (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFabNBveHOk). So uncool, so over the top, so good.
-
Ever since it was on Mad Men this is majorly stuck in my head (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFabNBveHOk). So uncool, so over the top, so good.
Uncool? The Vanilla Fudge? But what about the Mudshark (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFs5Y1hlN-I)?
-
I like that song from your friends band and Vanilla Fudge are very cool.
-
Yellow Magic Orchestra - Rydeen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M2zQjRF1vE)
Fun fact: I first became aware of this song via an arcade game about trains.
-
Canned for nerdiness.
-
Yellow Magic Orchestra - Rydeen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M2zQjRF1vE)
Sounds like the theme song to an 80s television show.
-
That Vanilla Fudge song is the 60s version of whiny (hipster?) people doing acoustic covers of rap songs. It's like some people can't understand emotion in musical form without it being expressed in a very particular/limited way. Really, you couldn't understand the emotional content of "Hey Ya" until it was being played by a soulful white dude? You can't understand sad lyrics unless they are sung overdramatically?
I am all for people doing their own versions of songs, but there is a particular way this sometimes manifests that bums me out.
-
I defended the song on Facebook as pioneering the idea of playing a song in a radically different style (see also Bobby Darin: Mack the Knife). Now I can see that it should be moved into the "What Have They Wrought" thread. I guess what separates them from today's typical reworking of a pop song is that they were. being sincere whereas most of what I hear today in that regard is far from it.
-
The acoustic rap cover thing is a little annoying because some of them just seem to stink ever so slightly of irony, condescension and a little self-loathing.
Anyway, here's a white dude what done a mashup of Simon and Garfunkel with Slick Rick.
Jim's Big Ego - Feelin' Groovy (https://myspace.com/jimsbigego/music/song/feelin-groovy-78007401-85926352?play=1)
-
Francis Monkman - The Long Good Friday (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2boaFaezG00)
R.I.P. in peace Bob Hoskins.
-
Non-stop Parquet Courts. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6uFcz7KCRw)
Almost every song on this album is awesome.
The singer looks like a guy my ex dated, and it bothers me way more than it should.
(because it should bother me zero).
So fuck*ng good. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWAdh4YIpd8)
Definitely heavy Pavement vibes.
Also listening to this song on heavy repeat. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naNV3SivX0U)
-
Non-stop Parquet Courts. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6uFcz7KCRw)
I thought "Don't they do 'Best of Friends?'" But in fact I was thinking of Palma Violets (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjit0AuZNiE).
-
Non-stop Parquet Courts. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6uFcz7KCRw)
Almost every song on this album is awesome.
The singer looks like a guy my ex dated, and it bothers me way more than it should.
(because it should bother me zero).
So fuck*ng good. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWAdh4YIpd8)
Definitely heavy Pavement vibes.
Also listening to this song on heavy repeat. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naNV3SivX0U)
Paul showed that to is. It is so fuck*ng good!!! My favorite part of the album is the song lengths. They are all the perfect length to be complete but leave you wanting more.
Probably like top 5 "new" albums.
-
Damn, totally forgot that Paul posted that video! I liked it a little at first, but hearing it coming from my roommate's bedroom (who normally only listens to heavy metal and noise) made the songs work their way deep into my brain. Then, driving to Nashville last week, the album came on and blew me away.
-
2013 year-end mix. It is titled "flomp"
Realized I never put this up on the FTP site for Paul and anyone else who wanted it. I have remedied this.
To download:
ftp.bigfool.com
user ID: bigfoo_touamb
password: nicepete
Note that this is the CD-compatible version of the mix--it has four fewer tracks than the Spotify playlist.
No cover art this year, as it was a lot of work, hardly anyone gave a shit, and if I was going to the Spotify version of these things, fuck it.
Previous years' mixes still out there. I particularly recommend the 2009 vintage.
-
Damn, totally forgot that Paul posted that video!
Ha ha, me too. I was like, that bike shop looks familiar, Inev must have posted this before. Dang, I must be getting old.
-
Realized I never put this up on the FTP site for Paul and anyone else who wanted it. I have remedied this.
'bout got dang time!
-
Neil Young in a Record Booth on The Tonight Show (http://www.spin.com/articles/neil-young-jack-white-instant-vinyl-crazy-fallon-video/?utm_source=spinfacebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spinfacebook)
One of the coolest things I've seen in awhile.
-
To download:
ftp.bigfool.com
user ID: bigfoo_touamb
password: nicepete
I'm getting an incorrect login error.
-
I'm getting an incorrect login error.
My host changed the password complexity rules. Sorry about that.
ftp.bigfool.com
user ID: bigfoo_touamb
password: 3days,3acres,3000men
-
Anyone a fan of Bright Eyes? If so, what would you recommend as a starter album?
-
[also...FY - - - fugazi!]
Ooh didn't realize that was up there. I was AT that show. 1991.
-
Listening now!
-
Are You Receiving? (http://youtu.be/jyiCfWIfljk)
Killing Joke, where have they been all my life? I've heard of them, think I must have lumped them in with death metal or something. Heard this song as part of a video a friend made and posted on FB today. Damn and hell yeah, this shit rocks just right for me. And hey, bonus, this band has Youth, who has collaborated with Paul McCartney a whole bunch.
-
That was pretty bad ass.
-
Driving around south St. Louis and listening to this new Parquet Courts song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQS7szVjgY8&feature=kp) is making me way too sad. My roommate just got his first tattoo and I keep thinking that I should get The Apotheosis of Saint Louis (http://www.stl250.org/userfiles/com.stl250/image/statue%20of%20st%20louis%20fp%201946___Source.jpg). Don't worry, I am too much of a fraidy-cat for a tattoo. Definitely fits my idea of what a tattoo should be, though.
The album is otherwise pretty awesome (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAkW1wXGlU0). Making a list of places to visit in NJ and NYC and Philly during my month off when I first move in, and watching this video where they walk around some area of NYC, is getting me hyped up. But mostly I am psyching myself to be kind of sad and lonely and make the best of things. Lots of hard work and electronic music in my headphones and walking around in the snow bundled up and hot coffee.
-
That was pretty good song.
-
Hey Ladies!
-
WOMBLES!
If he ever does this again (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQH2fs4tWY) you need to catch it.
This is all the performance you can hope for from dude because Boingo is done dead.
Oh, I missed this. Thanks. It makes me a bit cross though. If he will do this, why not Boingo? It can't be because the other guys don't want to.
-
Oh, I missed this. Thanks. It makes me a bit cross though. If he will do this, why not Boingo? It can't be because the other guys don't want to.
Does he have stage fright or does he just not want to do an Oiongo Boingo reunion? Maybe he has integrity and doesn't want to be The fuck*ng Eagles.
-
Another thing to consider. Writing and recording orchestral music for film is a very time consuming process. Perhaps he just doesn't feel he has the time to devote to something of dubious creative and financial merit. Let's face it Oingo Boingo are not the Police. It would not be a stadium tour. They would play mid sized theaters at best.
-
The reason he has given that there will never be a Boingo reunion is because he has hearing damage. There's at least one close-up in the video where you can see he's wearing something that looks like hearing aids. I always felt like that was a reason you can't argue with but I don't see why it wouldn't be a reason not to do this concert as well.
-
It's cause he hates those pushy Oingo Boingo fans.
-
Oh yeah, all that hysterical yelling and screaming from the audience at that concert is clearly making him just miserable.
-
I realized this post was in the wrong thread and I wouldn't want Inev to miss the chance to hate on it.
Did you ever get an earworm and it actually makes you happy? this is what this is doing to me. The polar bears are nice too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwWm3om-gSw (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwWm3om-gSw)
and this one too, with a nice koi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMdjJ3w9iM
-
Jimi at Woodstock (http://vimeo.com/78747650).
It's basically 2 hours of Jimi Hendrix jamming his ass off. Relentless.
-
Man, I had a weird night last night. I was listening to the music on the headphones, like you do. I put on a compilation disc "Jukebox Hits of the 70s" and several of the songs hit me really hard and I had emotions. It started with He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (http://youtu.be/Jl5vi9ir49g#aid=P81Rlk3WeeA), a song I've heard a million times, of course, and like, but don't recall ever having much impact on me. So that was a bit of a surprise. The next one to effect me was Miracles (http://youtu.be/xKBttQmhDBw), which I've always loved. I even bought the 45 when I was 13 years old. It's been a long time since I've listened to it, but still it was a bit of a surprise to be overcome with emotions when it began to play. Finally I Can See Clearly Now (http://youtu.be/r1MjRp0ys5I) overwhelmed me. I actually began to cry. What the Hell!?! I mean, that's a beautiful song, but why?
-
Who knows? Emotions are a strange thing. I got all choked up last night describing my son's swimming lesson to my wife. Then she got a little misty. Music is pretty good at evoking them, maybe touching on connections to events we don't consciously remember. Its definitely cumulative. One of the dramatic vignettes about an Olympic athlete struck me emotionally a few years ago, then a sappy commercial set me off again once my guard was lowered.
-
Jesus Shooting Heroin (http://youtu.be/-T9SbUfCB7A). Woah, that's a killer track.
-
Ah yeah, early Lips!
-
I can't really explain why --- maybe it's the tape-warble on the piano, or those chords, man --- but this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baVveuLnoA4) song hits me right in the tender groin of the heart.
I haven't been doing the weepy music thing for a long time, so maybe that's part of it.
-
Ah yeah, early Lips!
Ah yeah, you turned me on to this music. Maybe 3 years ago you gave me pretty much every early Flaming Lips album. I've listened to some of it, but a lot of it I'm just now getting around to giving a proper listen. Thanks man!
-
Revisiting my Orange County icons (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFjLmqAZ_0o).
A new avatar. After all these years?
-
I haven't been doing the weepy music thing for a long time, so maybe that's part of it.
Soothing!
-
I love that book!
I think my ex never gave me back my copy!
What a book.
-
Wait, you don't like The Replacements? I guess that is fair. I am pretty into all that music, but never read the book, thanks man! Double Nickels is in my top ten of albums that never ever get old, with Clouds Taste Metallic and Surfer Rosa being another two (I don't know the others, it isn't an actual list? Beck- One Foot In The Grave? Good Bad Not Evil by the Black Lips? These are just guesses, the other three are solid.)
-
Oh god guys please don't share illegal downloads of books right in front of me.
-
So for the answer has been because no one will pay me to make my work for sale. However, I am very shortly going to put the second mystery up for sale on Kindle so you can quit your whining.
-
I want to like Husker Du a lot more, but everything is so treble-y. Landspeed Record is amazing. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOekn8ACCPc) Esp. that second track.
-
Husker Du is another band I want to like, but don't. The Replacements on the other hand I love.
-
I have tried and tried (probably just twice) to like Husker Du. I cannot either.
-
I saw some badass punk bands in Brooklyn yesterday and am not sure which was which. But one of them had a kind of Melvins-y off-kilter sludge thing that was KILLING me. When I figure out which band they were I will post here.
-
Elton is cool. He's not like The Eagles or The Pixies. He never stopped recording new music. Although his show will of course be heavily weighted towards music he recorded 30-40 years ago he might throw a few surprises in there.
-
This kind of too-complicated thing usually really annoys me but this lady can SING. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtwnAf3ozI4)That is a voice with power. Also digging the drumming. But watching the video and looking at those fuck*ng backup singers with their haircuts is bugging me a lot. Just minimize it and listen to the sick beats.
-
The Tune-Yards have shown up on the Fluxblog a couple of times. I really like (http://youtu.be/Svgh_MZOmaw) what I've heard (http://youtu.be/UNkP-mbBMLo) so far.
I'm glad she's traded in her loop machine for live singers.
-
I love listening to someone who can really perform, without all the studio production and autotuning and witchery, regardless of whether I like the genre. I'm going to go dig up some more of their stuff based on the strength of that clip.
-
I got the new Spoon album. It is a Spoon album. Which is to say it is very good. But on first listen I don't hear anything especially ground-breaking.
-
Holy shit, this chapter reminds me how I forgot I knew (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVwJMOtfJbU) how great this band was.
There is a band I sure wish I had seen live during their heyday.
-
I'm loving that fuck*ng book. On the Mudhoney chapter and read the Beat Happening chapter first (Beat Happening and I just had a thing), so like almost done? I think? Thanks again man!
-
It was bound to happen sooner or later. I knew eventually I'd find a type of metal that didn't have the elements that inexplicably turn me off. Holy hell this is awesome. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIw7oeZKpZc)
Yeah, that's right, this is the part of my life where I become less and less cool by the moment. Right now I'm just gonna dork out about real estate finance and heavy metal and d&d and wear my comfortable sneakers.
-
Don't sweat it. Cool is really not all it's cracked up to be. Science has proved it.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10949892/Cool-kids-less-likely-to-succeed-as-adults-suggests-study.html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10949892/Cool-kids-less-likely-to-succeed-as-adults-suggests-study.html)
-
I don't care if she's 21 and therefore "legal." Ariana Grande looks like a little girl playing wildly inappropriate sexy dress-up, and it skeeves me the hell out.
-
I had never heard of Ariana Grande before just now. Yeah, she looks very young.
-
I think she is in a weird age range for me where in pictures she looks cute, but when I meet people that age they seem like babies to me.
-
Hey Cort! Facebook says you like Spoon (the band)!
I have tickets for them at the Lincoln Theater on Wednesday if you want to go.
I saw Band of hosss last night. They were rad, again, if a bit subdued.
-
Ok Computer! Sometimes I forget how great this album is. If you haven't listened to it in awhile, do yourself a favor and give it a spin.
-
Every day so far on the way to school. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTIh3T9RHIc)
I am struggling because the singing is SO CORNY. But that guitar riff rules.
-
Every day so far on the way to school. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTIh3T9RHIc)
Kick Ass Dude. I didn't know Kyuss was a proto Queens of the Stone Age. Dang!
-
Nice! Something for the headphones at work.
-
Would you like to get a live version of TMBG's first album, for free? Damn right you would.
http://www.theymightbegiants.com/firstalbumlive/
-
Nabu is rocking it
Indeed!
-
So into this intro/the bassline and fuzzy keyboard. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu2Dsnvk6M0)
It's fall-ish weather and so I am dressing like Weezer and listening to Weezer and feeling like Weezer.
-
Did you know they have a new album coming out? You can hear a song on this podcast:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/08/26/343399364/new-mix-weezer-lucinda-williams-sufjan-stevens-more
The NPR guys make a good point: Weezer probably suffers more from "I used to love this band, but they got popular and now I hate them" than any other band.
-
Well, they also sound different now. Wasn't The Blue Album a big success at the time? I like fewer and fewer songs per album after Pinkerton. Then one came out in 2005 or 2006 the same week my high school girlfriend cheated on me with my best friend, and I could never listen to that album again. So I kind of gave up on their newer stuff. I'll check out the new song when I am not on a school computer/have headphones.
-
Pure win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1N81j3ITqo
-
Hey, this came out right around when I was born. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPfIIn5V_LQ) I have never been that into Eric B and Rakim but this song did it for me.
-
Getting really into doing work at the computer lab at school with my headphones in. I'm way more able to focus when I'm in a "work" environment. Yesterday I did some mortgage spreadsheets (!?) and statistics practice problems while I listened to weird video-game sounding electronic music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0RvHsa6sIA), some creep sing about drugs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3YtvuZ2-I0), and some endless beats. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49PvnYCKZkM) The day before was a gospel station on Pandora (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d1jvP8FG1E), that was pretty sweet.
And yes, listening to Cool Drugs Music while I did mortgage spreadsheets made me feel like I am officially an uncool grownup.
-
Groundislava is some excellent stuff. I've used that album as 'gettin shit done' music for a while now.
-
Ahhhhh I am going into NYC tomorrow for a school outing, and Groundislava are playing a show. Do I try to go? Would I have to leave early to make it back to NJ before the trains stop running? Would someone random from my program go with me? Ahhh.
-
Oh man this is the most fun video ever. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM) I am way behind.
-
Slate just had an interesting article on that song/video. She is clearly going for the "adorkable" angle.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/08/29/taylor_swift_shake_it_off_is_no_1_here_s_how_she_did_it_video.html
-
Oh man this is the most fun video ever. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM) I am way behind.
Love it!
-
That is a good song. I'm happy to see a general trend in radio away from the weird faux-eurotrance of the last couple years.
-
tHE MOST AMAZING THING i'VE HEARD/SEEN IN A LONG TIME (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEKjXPor6B4#t=97)
hOLY sHIT!!!
-
Neil Young is rock and/or roll.
-
One of the better remixes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oybVgSIoI0
-
ODrama Ben Laden?
-
Listening to so much music in the computer lab working/walking to school. Really into these weirdos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48QJM1-2_oo). If you had asked me to describe Stereolab I definitely would have said something about noisy electronics, maybe I had heard a weird album or something.
Tons of Wire (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBWJB2-_aoA) too. Pink Flag is so perfect. Lots of nice little songs. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEJSe8vutnM)
I love how, listening to "out there" stuff like Wire or Joy Division or the Pixies, they still use the blues scale. It's baked in at this point.
The one guitar/music theory thing that I can't get over is the thing that Kurt Cobain constantly does where he changes the key (??) by a half-step. Like, About a Girl (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QST6Hn8SUk4) is E and G for the main part, and then C# G# F#, and then E (E again, but up an octave) A C. That's a key change, right? It seems like E F# G G# A C C# is too many notes too close together. But it sounds so good! I cannot imagine ever just stumbling upon the fact that you can do that and make it sound good. I think Weezer also does this, but they were probably imitating Kurt. I read somewhere that Rivers actually wrote out every chord from every Nirvana song to learn the patterns he was using.
(good job inventing emo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phDuvBk_9ok), Rivers)
-
Damn but the new TV On the Radio album is great.
http://vimeo.com/112047660
-
Really stuck on The Roches (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BztkHU8oyVw) and their insane harmonies. They're killing me.
One season I was born
fell down like an acorn
I am the only tree
and everybody leaves
I've got to get away from you
Bud growing up at me
resentful face I see
a harsh light seems to damn you
is it because I am you?
-
Really stuck on The Roches (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BztkHU8oyVw) and their insane harmonies. They're killing me.
Speaking of insane harmonies, this song (http://youtu.be/0sk5SLh48tg) makes me shiver. That part at the end where the sonorous low voice comes in does me in everytime.
-
Oh lord, I'm getting lifted. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niJrC03g_9Q)
also in Ronnie's Groove. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwXxHj77QGQ)
-
I've had both of these on my computer since at least college, but had never listened. Nick Drake is a BOSS. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idcaRTg4-fM)
And Stereolab (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qisn5damOI) is getting me through exam study times. Sooooo good. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxywNDPKPJQ)
Stereolab are really blowing me away. Combining so many things I like to create just perfect songs. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6dNTmfZp0U)
-
Nick Drake is a BOSS. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idcaRTg4-fM)
True statement.
-
The reason for the season. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8)
-
And if that totally bums you out, here's some upbeat Japanese weirdness (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9V3x61D994) to make up for it.
-
And if that totally bums you out, here's some upbeat Japanese weirdness (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9V3x61D994) to make up for it.
I'm surprised there's not a Japanese subculture that fetishizes Christmas in a bizarre and extreme manner.
-
This one's (http://youtu.be/FxvP25q0DgI) for you Inev.
-
I have all of those as well as Good News for People Who Love Bad News, which like you was gifted all at once (except for Lonesome Crowded West, I bought that one). If my iTunes plays data is a true indicator it's my favorite album of all time (at least since 2009). The rest of those albums I can't seem to get into. There's some small shift in tone I think. Don't know. You may love those albums and hate Good News. It's a big ol' world. I'm gonna have some nachos.
-
I have never really listened to Modest c*ck, but a lot of friends love them.
Paul, that song is great, but I think picking a song fronted by that guy is kind of a punky "fuck you" to being on Letterman. His songs are always a little more annoying, IMHO. Why not this song? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLCl9erldNM#t=18) or the obvious best song on the album. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLCl9erldNM#t=350) The bass line is catchy, too bad you can't hear it in this video.
So good, down to the off-white and light blue fender guitars.
Inherent Vice, which I enjoyed a lot, starts out with this song I love. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a1NhRbNJ_Y) I love those damn drums!
Visiting St Louis, it seems that all of my friends have gotten way better at music, but their band has fallen apart. What a shame.
-
My last post was not clearly stated. Good News is the album that I have listened to as many as 60+ times.
-
Paul, that song is great, but I think picking a song fronted by that guy is kind of a punky "fuck you" to being on Letterman. His songs are always a little more annoying, IMHO. Why not this song? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLCl9erldNM#t=18) or the obvious best song on the album. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLCl9erldNM#t=350) The bass line is catchy, too bad you can't hear it in this video.
So good, down to the off-white and light blue fender guitars.
I'm no expert on Parquet Courts. I mainly posted that because it came up on Letterman and I didn't know if you had seen it. that KEXP performance is pretty damn good. Thanks for posting. I actually get updates from KEXP, but that came out before I signed up.
It's my birthday and I'm feeling like this song (http://youtu.be/_bZjKC0EaY0) is about right for me today. When it came out I felt like I was on one side of the equation and now I'm on the other side of that same equation.
-
Parquet courts are such my favorite band that it isn't even funny. That song is pretty good, but, yeah, Andrew savage is clearly what makes that band great. Having an Austin brown song is exactly the punky fuck you thing to do...don't know if that's good or bad. Content naseau is one of my favorite albums ever. Their first album has some great great tracks too, square states and largish/dominant stand outs. Teenage cool kids (savages band before) Denton after sunset is a great album too.
I love modest c*ck. I'd start with moon and Antarctica then go to long drive. Then everything will make sense!
Relatedly...Isaac Brock and Andrew savage are 2 of my favorite 3 lyricist of all time (w r zimmerman)
-
I've been real into hip hop recently. I can only post on here with my phone unfortunately, but og maco- u guessed it and Vince staples hell can wait ep but great.
-
Based on a small sample size thus far, I really like Stars when the woman is singing. Not so much when the dude is singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkLm31eroGI
-
Stars put on an excellent live show (small sample size as well -- I saw them once years ago) & I support your analysis. Even the dude's stage-presence is off-putting. It's like he was trained in musical theatre or something, because he's almost too demonstrative with his gesturing and fist-waving while singing. He also sported the only ascot I've ever seen on a non-cartoon person, so there's that.
-
I'm listening to a Japanese band called Bump of Chicken. I don't say this to recommend them so much as, how can I not take the chance to mention a band called Bump of Chicken.
-
This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu1Ko02P7vk) is just so nice. Ol' young Tobias Jesso Jr. is proving himself quite an excellent 'good ol' fashioned' songwriter type.
In a more standard-to-me vein, Doldrums (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-1UMt8VtEs) is proving himself to be an adept guy. I saw his live show at a music festival last year, and its kinda-shittiness didn't seem to betray that he had this kind of noise-assault in his arsenal. This is nice song though.
-
I am not familiar with The Go! Team's previous work (and yes that pretentious exclamation point is part of the name). But I sure as hell love this song.
http://www.stereogum.com/1730210/the-go-team-the-scene-between-video/video/
-
Norwegian Wood, damn. That is a satisfying song to play. Trying to get Michelle and struggling a bit, but getting there.
-
Loving the direction Inev's guitar playing has taken.
-
iTunes says 7 of my top 20 songs played in the last 5 years are Parquet Courts. I am not sure whether I am actually listening that much, or if I left it on repeat one time. Or both. This is also skewed because for like 2 years I listened to the same hip-hop mix CD 5 days a week on the way to and from work, but itunes does not catch that, obviously.
New album has a VU-type song with some Bowie-style horns that I like. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GH7RfjLb1c)
Judgmental nerd punk's not dead. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajjQ8qp3D0c)
Content, that's what you'd call it
An infant screaming in every room in your gut
...
For this year it became harder to be tender
Harder and harder to remember
Meeting a friend, writing a letter
Being lost, antique ritual
All lost to the ceremony of progress
Like essential organs removed
They're only weighing you down, you don't need 'em
Ignore this part, it's an advertisement
These people are famous, I'd trust 'em
I met this guy once when he was in another band, and I really liked his songs but something about him made me feel kind of nauseous. Possibly that he looks like the guy my ex dated before me who was a scumbag. At some point I am going to run into that guy (ex's ex, not Andrew Savage) if I keep seeing college friends in New York. Ugh.
-
Yeah, I like last.fm's charting capability, but the primary venue for music for me is my car, and that's not captured.
-
Both those songs are so good!
-
Drenge (http://youtu.be/74LZik-XMvA) anyone?
-
Homer and Jethro (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx2iGgH9EWQ) anyone?
-
Homer and Jethro (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx2iGgH9EWQ) anyone?
Not sure I've ever actually heard Homer and Jethro before. That was quite funny.
-
Not sure I've ever actually heard Homer and Jethro before. That was quite funny.
Yeah, not really what I had expected either. More sophisticated humor and more musical virtuosity than I expected.
-
Yeah, not really what I had expected either. More sophisticated humor and more musical virtuosity than I expected.
Yeah, I guess I was expecting it to be less sophisticated as well.
-
Sometimes you just love a bad girl. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lxp7WVXiXU)
-
Sometimes you just love a bad girl. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lxp7WVXiXU)
So Good!
-
Smashing Pumpkins vs. Loverboy - Mullet with Butterfly Wings (http://youtu.be/SRdSoZO-5mM).
Bonus: Oasis vs. Guy Who Has Nothing but Contempt for Oasis - Wonderwll (http://youtu.be/VCPs0yvoYZI)
-
Smashing Pumpkins vs. Loverboy - Mullet with Butterfly Wings (http://youtu.be/SRdSoZO-5mM).
Bonus: Oasis vs. Guy Who Has Nothing but Contempt for Oasis - Wonderwll (http://youtu.be/VCPs0yvoYZI)
I normally hate mashups, but that was pretty dang awesome!
-
Anybody wanna see my Neil Young impression? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob_hwekqxC0&t=11)
-
Nice! Damn, I gotta find some people up here to play with sometimes. Looking good, sounding good mr West.
-
What is that place?
-
It's Buddy's garage.
-
That's an impressive garage. Also, I always thought "garage band" was, like, a metaphor or something. Who knew.
-
Anybody wanna see my Neil Young impression? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob_hwekqxC0&t=11)
Dude, you guys are ready to take it to the street. You look good, you sound great. That garage is awesome.
-
Thanks Paul!
-
Listening to my friend on Letterman. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSCGN6AuOm8) She is the cute keyboard player.
I am not blown away by the song but MY FRIEND ON LETTERMAN.
-
Your link don't work.
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSCGN6AuOm8 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSCGN6AuOm8)
-
I've been mad obsessed with Deer Tick and The Babies for a bit now.
Deer Tick had some demo type things he released on a CD-R called Greatest Hits before he got signed, then re recorded most of them with a band and ruined them. So, it is hard to get the right versions on you tube, but just get Deer Tick- Greatest Hits if you know where to get stuff.
The Babies are so dope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ_5yQiPKwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFjCMkLkQW8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QqK1OK2ILo
Oh, and Parquet Courts are just the best band, but I think I already said that. Thanks for the tip on them Paul. Teenage Cool Kids are real good too (that is the main dudes first band.)
Found the right Deer Tick! Just type Deer Tick Greatest Hits into you tube, here is the first track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBUeSD-OeAg
-
Because listening to only one song at a time is for chumps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1H_iy8Kqcw
-
An unlikely duet. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb-B3lsgEfA)
-
The Hotline:Miami soundtrack is blowing my mind. Slick 80s sounds. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xri-YuxS9s&list=PLsZzPoNVGUugWcOeVyIzKEWYQV6olueox&index=5) Scary 80s sounds. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvsItN23fSU&list=PLsZzPoNVGUugWcOeVyIzKEWYQV6olueox&index=7) Jesus.
Also the game is impossible. I can't get past the first level because I have shitty reflexes.
-
The Babies are so dope.
Not to be confused with The Babys (https://youtu.be/8AcY-OJRbxk).
-
An unlikely duet. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb-B3lsgEfA)
Woah, bad ass!
-
Very cool video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQlvSpPuWdo) (watch it).
Remember when there were so many posts on TOUAMB that it made sense to ignore some? Like making this thread so WOMBAT could ignore music posts? Things done changed...
I still don't read the fantasy sports threads. Maybe I am missing important Content.
-
Tonight I got drunk and listened to The Strokes. I went to see them in 8th or 9th grade and the ad for that concert was the first time I heard of the conceot of "hipster."
recently I played Parquet Courts for my brother and I said I thought it sounded like the strokes but more raw, "didn't you like them? I remember you liking them"...
"yeah in like 10th grade."
harsh bro. harsh.
-
People always say they sound like the strokes, and like, I see it obviously, but I totally totally don't see it too.
In that vice documentary they did someone asks what they sound like and one of the film crew says they're from New York and sound kinda like the strokes. The guy who asked what they sound like responded someone has to. That's my favorite response ever.
-
I feel like they do some of the same guitar moves as the strokes, but in a way that is less polished/restrained. More punky energy.
I also read that the drummer learned to drum by imitating Strokes records.
-
So they're like a strokier Strokes.
-
The Austin 100 (http://www.npr.org/2015/03/03/390053158/the-austin-100-a-sxsw-2015-mix). NPR's curated list of upcoming bands playing at SXSW this year.
-
I don't think we made this thread so I could ignore it. Maybe we made a movie thread so I could ignore it? I definitely can't keep up with this thread though. It's a really big deal for me to decide I like a band. It takes a lot of research. Clicking on all the links in this thread would be, I don't know, too much of a commitment or something. If I don't feel like I have time to stop and listen and seriously consider, I don't want to do it.
-
I don't much care for "I don't like this thing that everyone else likes" posts. For the most part, who gives a shit, let people like what they like.
But I gotta say: I cannot get into Courtney Barnett. She has some positive elements (the guitars, mostly), but her speak-singing style is just not a thing I can listen to over and over again. And she's apparently on every freaking podcast I listen to, and I have to fast-forward through it.
-
The Hotline:Miami soundtrack is blowing my mind. Slick 80s sounds. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xri-YuxS9s&list=PLsZzPoNVGUugWcOeVyIzKEWYQV6olueox&index=5) Scary 80s sounds. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvsItN23fSU&list=PLsZzPoNVGUugWcOeVyIzKEWYQV6olueox&index=7) Jesus.
Also the game is impossible. I can't get past the first level because I have shitty reflexes.
Truth, the music choices for the Hotline Miami games are impeccable.
Here's some of my favorite tracks in Hotline Miami 2:
Scattle - Remorse (https://youtu.be/FxBivuR9UVA)
Perturbator - Technoir (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR4vJk2QBOc)
-
I've got Don Henley's The Heart of the Matter stuck in my head this morning. What have I done to deserve this?
-
Maybe [this](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGNdvKvbxYQ) will get it out of your head.
-
Thank you, that was very helpful.
-
I come up with weird earworms all the damn time. If I posted about them all you'd be sick of me pronto.
-
I has good music of late. Heavy rotation: TV on the Radio, the Decemberists, Blind Pilot, Phox, Luluc, The War on Drugs, Cold War Kids, The Twilight Sad.
This Luluc song is particularly pretty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-qG3rYn9kM
Also, too: on NPR's All Songs Considered they went on about this dude Stromae, who is from Belgium and is huge in Europe but unknown in this country. He performed at SXSW and they were blown away. I haven't gotten too deep into his stuff yet, but he SHOULD be popular in the US except that we're so stupidly resistant to pop songs that aren't in English.
http://www.npr.org/event/music/394035572/stromae-live-in-concert-sxsw-2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiKj0Z_Xnjc
-
I has good music of late. Heavy rotation: TV on the Radio, the Decemberists, Blind Pilot, Phox, Luluc, The War on Drugs, Cold War Kids, The Twilight Sad.
This Luluc song is particularly pretty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-qG3rYn9kM
Also, too: on NPR's All Songs Considered they went on about this dude Stromae, who is from Belgium and is huge in Europe but unknown in this country. He performed at SXSW and they were blown away. I haven't gotten too deep into his stuff yet, but he SHOULD be popular in the US except that we're so stupidly resistant to pop songs that aren't in English.
http://www.npr.org/event/music/394035572/stromae-live-in-concert-sxsw-2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiKj0Z_Xnjc
Yeah, fuck that guy if he can't sing in English.
-
Yeah, fuck that guy if he can't sing in English.
Haha, word!
-
To be serious for a moment - usually I think Americans are dopes for not being interested in the culture of anywhere else in the world, but to be fair, the lyrics are important to why one finds most pop music interesting (or not). It's not like a Bach cantata or something where there's enough purely musical variation and depth that the words don't matter.
And I'm speaking as someone who listens to a ton of Japanese pop music and understands very little of it. I do it, but I can see why other people don't.
-
Holy Crap, I had not heard The Jam all this time. Even the drums are Rickenbackers.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRxHF7AnjjQ)
...I feel like I've made this joke before and maybe even about this very band. Anything is possible.
Saturday I bought a Parquet Courts record I had never seen/heard of and it's a reissue of a demo. It is pretty bad. The cover is awesome, though.
(http://images.junostatic.com/full/CS496206-01A-BIG.jpg)
I'm OK with spending the $12 on it, considering I listen to this band at least twice a week and had never given them money until now. I got all 4 records that the store had.
-
That's their first not demos, and you think it sucks at first, but it is actually great! Square States, college Chess Circuit and largish/dominant all great, then you learn to love the rest.
"Your blue jean pocket has a faded skull can scar on it
A halo on your ass, the only place that it could fit"
I'm kinda obsessed with Andrew Savage lyrics though. I think he's the best lyricist since early modest c*ck. It's been like 10 years since I've tried to listen to the jam or wire, and I kinda hated both, but things have changed. I should check em out again.
-
The Jam are cool, but Wire (mostly Pink Flag) are the fuckin best.
-
I'm very happy that I heard a band and thought "This is something Inev might like" and it's become your favorite band. Yay!
-
Yes! They're so good.
-
Related to the Family Tech Support thread: this weekend we had family at the house. Luluc was playing on the stereo. "Is this National?" my MIL said. (Not "The National.") No, they're called Luluc, they're from Australia. "Oh. [My niece/her granddaughter] was playing National in the car and I liked it."
That's all well and good, I'm glad you enjoyed it. And I can see how you'd get them mixed up given how much Zoe Randell sounds like Matt Berninger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl4WOY15_nA
-
Yeah, every once in a while you have a conversation with someone who does not care as much/in the same way about music and it's a good jolt of perspective. My mother did not know what a bass guitar was. Also always funny hearing what people think sounds like ____.
Although I was really happy when I drove a middle-aged coworker home and he smiled and remarked that the band I was listening to sounded like New Order. Or when my mom knew every word to Led Zeppelin II.
-
Your folks can surprise you sometimes.
-
Getting my mind blown by BBC sessions of 60s/70s bands I love. Led Zeppelin live on the radio (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAoAsUrgqS8) is something to hear. King Crimson is killing it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4eRpwRJgzk)
I am realizing there are a lot of albums by bands I liked in high school that I haven't heard. I thought later Black Sabbath was dorky, later Zeppelin was wanky, later Pixies was boring, etc. The payoff is that now 10 years later THIS SHIT IS SO GOOD. Or at least some of it is. Sometimes it really is wanky.
-
What you say is true about latter day offerings, but only in relation to their earlier work. If you didn't have Led Zeppelin II to compare it to, In Through the Out Door would totally shine on it's own. It pales in comparison, but it's still pretty damn good. And that's true for a lot of artists.
-
King Crimson is killing it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4eRpwRJgzk)
Fuck Yeah!
I never knew about the live music on the BBC until they started releasing all of these amazing albums starting in the late 80s. The first one that I experienced was the Beatles. It's so good. What I learned from the little booklet that accompanied the album is that back in the day there were restrictions on playing records on the radio. They were allowed only a couple of hours a day of "needle time." Since there was only one radio station in England at the time that doesn't leave a lot of time for pop music. So in order to get on the radio basically everybody who was anybody would play live for the BBC. It was an amazing time. It lasted until the 80s. There's no equivalent to it in the US.
-
I never knew about the live music on the BBC until ... the late 80s.
Well I apparently didn't know about it until the 2010's, so you're way ahead of me. I always saw those Live On The BBC tracks and thought, why would I want to hear recordings of them playing on some radio show. I should have known.
I have been binging on music so hard today while reading boring research papers that I have gotten myself punch-drunk. Earlier my roommate walked in and I was playing an air-drum solo with my eyes closed.
I am working on a mix-cd for my 8 year old cousin who is obsessed with guitars. Trying to think of songs without any bad words that would excite a kid that age. Iron Man? Chuck Berry? Dick Dale? Eruption? I am far enough down the listening-to-guitars rabbithole that I don't know what this kid might like. He is doing chores and practicing his piano to prove to his parents he is really committed, at some point the agreement is he will have earned a starter guitar. He is a pretty withdrawn kid but when he comes to our house all he wants to do is talk to me about playing guitar. Adorable.
(When his older brother was born I started counting down until he was old enough for getting mix cds, but I never dreamed of having a cousin who was obsessed with guitar music and had perfect pitch. I actually probably have more in common with the older one, who is a hypersensitive know-it-all who never shuts up, but... he doesn't want guitar CDs.)
-
Well consider yourself lucky. I've never had a young family member that gave a shit about the music I listened to.
About the BBC, what I meant is, that's when those CD's first started coming out. I think the first one I saw was David Bowie, and my initial reaction was about the same as yours. I actually thought that they were probably live albums, but they are so much more than that. It was the Beatles one that compelled me to purchase. It's a treasure. I've since collected quite a number of them. The Who, Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix.
There's actually a Beatles Vol. 2 out now which I have yet to hear. Need to get that, Beatles lover that I am.
-
i know the universe is surfeited with live hendrix, but that recent Miami Pop Festival CD? NAPALM, DUDE
-
LIMMO??
-
Holy Cow Presence (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6S9oqJRclo)!
But really I am just listening to nonstop King Crimson. Larks' Tongues in Aspic? Starless and Bible Black? Red? It hurts thinking back to when I first got In the Court of the Crimson King and deleted everything but the first track.
After 1 day I had to give up on Yes, Genesis, and Rush though. Maybe one day I'll be ready. I can almost get into Yes, it's really just the vocals that are holding me back.
-
Holy Cow Presence (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6S9oqJRclo)!
Ha ha! Memories. My freshman year roommate and I had a tradition of blasting this song at top volume every Friday afternoon.
But really I am just listening to nonstop King Crimson. Larks' Tongues in Aspic? Starless and Bible Black? Red? It hurts thinking back to when I first got In the Court of the Crimson King and deleted everything but the first track.
Discipline?
-
I read that the 80s albums are awesome, but I have not gotten to them yet.
-
i know the universe is surfeited with live hendrix, but that recent Miami Pop Festival CD? NAPALM, DUDE
Is so good.
-
When the going gets weird the weird go PRO (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQjwUyne3kQ).
That certainly lives up to the name.
-
Fuck you, this song is perfect (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofkzvM7Skxg).
Yes. Yes it is.
I am digging the jams that you are laying down, sir.
-
LIMMO??
I'm as surprised as you.
-
I had never heard of The Sound but they are doing it for me right now. I would say it's like a more Joy Division-y Smiths? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S_Ia24fjg4) Or a cornier Joy Division. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO8w6bAjeMM)
Mixing them with some New Order and Echo & The Bunnymen. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg5xvDoQOhA)
Still trying to figure out Swell Maps. They are one of those bands that come up again and again in interviews with bands I like, but I have never heard a song I loved. And what a great name! Ditto with The Fall (not being into them despite praises, not the name.)
Somehow I had missed out on The Misfits (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LOaEzmaPfU) all these years.
-
I guess the album came out earlier this year, but I didn't know about it until I saw the video yesterday. Mystikal! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognnZ3r2qyQ)
-
Parquet Courts are playing a free show the day after my birthday. But
1. it's at the "House of Vans," as in Vans shoes, so... what is that
2. requires online RSVP, but an RSVP does not guarantee you will actually get in. "first come first served." Do I take the train all the way there and then wait in line for hours? Alone? Hmm.
-
I guess the album came out earlier this year, but I didn't know about it until I saw the video yesterday. Mystikal! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognnZ3r2qyQ)
Nice!
-
The Ladykillers was far from the Coen bro's best, but the soundtrack is killer. Gospel makes me so glad to be alive. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqZc4cl5kh4) The thing they start doing at 2:40 or so kills me.
-
The Ladykillers was far from the Coen bro's best, but the soundtrack is killer. Gospel makes me so glad to be alive. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqZc4cl5kh4) The thing they start doing at 2:40 or so kills me.
Yeah, Ladykillers was a lesser Coen Brothers effort, but the soundtrack is righteously great. I think I bought it the day after I saw the film. I've probably mentioned here how much I love the music in that film. When you said, "That thing they start doing at 2:40" I knew exactly what you were referring to. My favorite bit of music in the film was this (https://youtu.be/ilNtxpO1tlU). For some, it's hard to understand how I can love gospel music so much when I've rejected religion. I say to them, "when Johnny Cash sings it, I believe it."
-
yeah, the Soul Stirrers are amazing.
-
Some new, bluesy heavy rock (https://open.spotify.com/track/0UKtuu93ktAjIpbwE4gMjB).
-
This came up on XM the other day and has completely earwormed me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J3ZjxIQgFE
-
Super into this dont-call-it-grunge stuff from Milk Music. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMpbshtmHa0)
Carlos, that song is catchy as hell, but when I see New Wave videos like that I understand why punks hated New Wave so much. Although definitely most of the bands I love from that era have videos that are not really better.
-
This came up on XM the other day and has completely earwormed me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J3ZjxIQgFE
Whoa! I've been listening to the Paul Westerberg version for all these years, no idea it was a cover.
It starts at 3:34 or so (damn hidden songs) and there is no way it will not be the definitive version of that song to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4JGtuA-7tc
-
Loving all the music, guys. You all have impeccable taste.
Goddammit pereople~! FEEL GOOD! (https://youtu.be/cO6RM779CU4?t=992)
The Mayor hipped me to this tune in '05. Check out his Catie N Goo mix. it's good.
-
It's the Jaguars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrQCRddLSvM) that roped me in.
Take over panthers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBVd9gE5dpA
Also, I was against this song because of its title, then I heard it and I was all, hmm, this is alright, then the chorus happened and I was like yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes. Yes. This song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9duSZL_-mM
-
I listened to the NPR All Songs Considered "Songs That Make Us Cry" podcast on the way to work, and it rendered me a goddamn mess.
Simultaneously tear-jerking and awesome: one reader submitted AC/DC's "Highway to Hell." His father had asked that the song be played at his funeral, because he found funerals to be too depressing and wanted to liven things up. The writer described being at a big music festival, AC/DC playing that song to kick off their encore, and he cried like a baby thinking about how much his dad would have enjoyed it.
-
I drove into work today and listend to Strangers to Ourselves (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvjLnQZSSq4&list=PLNKnNwQ3xNGPgRakdGyqEQMOa1wjpJydM&feature=iv&src_vid=nvjLnQZSSq4&annotation_id=annotation_3693547621).
I'm gonna put a pin in that for now.
-
Started trying to make my dad a mix cd for father's day, belatedly realizing I kind of don't know what kind of music he likes. I mean, I heard it nonstop for the first 18 years of my life, but listening to a new song I cannot judge whether he would like it or not. Which is resulting in a CD of acoustic guitar strumming. I know he is not crazy about loud guitars. But this is turning into a pretty wimpy CD. Ugh.
-
I Can See Clearly Now (https://youtu.be/zKvmlj2k_fM)
I love this song so much. The Jimmy Cliff original version is also great, but this one takes it to another level.
It starts off with a plaintive Jamaican reggae beat while the singer is telling us how his life is improving. The words are positive, but the voice is reserved. He repeats the line "It's gonna be a bright sunshiney day" as if to try to convince himself. The second verse he drops the metaphor and lets on that he's recovering from depression. Then we hit the bridge with big ominous chords thundering a warning from the brass section that the danger is still lurking, but the singer defiantly cries out "look straight ahead, nothing but blue skies." Ahh... the singer vocalizes through a series of minor chords that finally resolve with an uplifting major that hits the ear like a sigh of relief. Now comes the final verse which is a repeat of the first verse except this time he sings it with confidence. Now he is sure of himself. It's gonna be a bright sunshiney day.
I also love that the singer is from Houston Texas even though this song was recorded in London with mainly British musicians.
-
I Can See Clearly Now (https://youtu.be/zKvmlj2k_fM)
I love this song so much.
This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P-v1BVQn8) is the polar opposite of that (great) song.
-
I assumed that the Jimmy Cliff version was the original because he's the Jamaican. Turns out, according to Wikipedia, Johnny Nash basically discovered Bob Marley and produced his first recordings. Wow!
-
That song is, like, deeper than I ever noticed before. Or more ambivalent? It's a bright sunshiney day - which lets him see all the obstacles in his way. Not that the obstacles are gone, you know?
-
I used to get really wrapped up when I was a kid with what the literal interpretation of lyrics was. That is one that still bugs me long after all the other ones.
-
That song is, like, deeper than I ever noticed before. Or more ambivalent? It's a bright sunshiney day - which lets him see all the obstacles in his way. Not that the obstacles are gone, you know?
Well sure, the obstacles will always be there, but if you can see them they can be more easily avoided.
-
In 2011, a silly lady who I had a strong emotional attachment to for some reason told me the latest Oh Sees record sucked. For some reason, I believed her and never really checked it out.
Poignant to discover today maybe the only love song I've heard them play (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Evmge4Zpw) was hidden on that album. Apparently a song originally by Creation, who I know are good from Nuggets. I really like this song. Somehow the Creation version doesn't work for me. Maybe because the idea of the supremely creepy and aggressive John Dwyer singing it kind of sloppily makes it so much more vulnerable. I was going to say "this was before Thee Oh Sees became a super-tight death groove machine" but apparently I am getting my chronology backwards and this one came between two super-heavy albums. Right before a couple that I didn't like as much. The latest ones are good, though.
The chorus does the thing I love the most, which I have tried to describe on here before. Everything "opens up" and my heart explodes.
-
Relevant to some of your interests.
Listening to 'extreme' music makes you calmer, not angrier, according to study (http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jun/22/listening-heavy-metal-punk-extreme-music-makes-you-calmer-not-angrier-study)
-
Listening to 'extreme' music makes you calmer, not angrier, according to study (http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jun/22/listening-heavy-metal-punk-extreme-music-makes-you-calmer-not-angrier-study)
Yeah, that sounds about right.
-
I'm with Paul, driving home listening to angry music always got me calm after a crappy day of serving coffee to assholes. I always had the thought that it was too bad I couldn't hold onto that angry energy a little longer until I could get to my guitar. I am rarely pissed off enough to play anything aggressive. My hands only want to play sweet/corny chord changes.
-
To my lovely parents (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDehUgSvM0w).
Oh dear.
-
You know that thing where your favorite band comes out with a new song and you hate it and realize they are going in a direction you will be unable to follow? One of the advantages of age is that you've learned this is a thing that happens. It's still sad but not as shocking and heartbreaking as the first few times.
-
Japanese noise lady band playing a Devo cover (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWlr3CZ1720). Something we can all agree on. (I had never heard Melt Banana and this is not at all what I imagined them sounding like.)
This reminds me of a Japanese Noise Band anecdote that I can't source. I remember reading it online somewhere. Anyway, some 90s alternative noisy band was on tour with a hip Japanese noise band, and at the end of a show they were jamming on a sloppy "fuck you oldies we're generation X" cover of Rock Around the Clock. They asked the guitarist from the Japanese band to come out and play with them and he was kind of standing there quizzically looking around at them until it came to the solo, when he played it perfectly note-for-note like the original. I think the story ended with something like "I never realized how awesome that solo was until that moment."
-
That solo really is pretty great.
Kind of an earworm though - so I know what's going to be on heavy rotation inside my skull today...
-
The Men are always so close to being amazing and don't quite get there. I have all of their albums (at least through a certain point) and get really excited about the first song and then get bored. I saw them in a basement in St Louis the summer I broke up with that girl, that was an awesome night.
They were the first band shirt I had bought in a few years, and then I immediately outgrew it it shrunk or something. Sucks.
-
Oh man, I was way behind on the sum of almost everything I want guitars to do. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2GHlcwlT1Y)
I just dug through almost 100 pages of this thread looking for the previous song I had posted that did the same verse/chorus texture thing that this song does. Doyyyyy, it was another Kinks song.
-
Oh man, I was way behind on the sum of almost everything I want guitars to do. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2GHlcwlT1Y)
I just dug through almost 100 pages of this thread looking for the previous song I had posted that did the same verse/chorus texture thing that this song does. Doyyyyy, it was another Kinks song.
A great song. Dave Davies is such an underappreciated guitar player.
-
Man, I love that album, but don't like most of their early stuff. Which is the opposite of most bands. Except this song, this song is incredible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj9671V_UxA
-
Stomach full of drugs and shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIHr0m-xEpI
Jewish for the court case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FcDXL5Aw0o
-
Oh man, I was way behind on the sum of almost everything I want guitars to do. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2GHlcwlT1Y)
I just dug through almost 100 pages of this thread looking for the previous song I had posted that did the same verse/chorus texture thing that this song does. Doyyyyy, it was another Kinks song.
Possibly my favorite Kinks song, so that's saying a lot.
I really love a particular live version of this song. I can't find it on YouTube, but Here (https://youtu.be/OErcvuaFkjE) is the closest I could find. There's a lot of different versions of the Kinks playing this song live and they are all very different from one another which tells me they were pretty uneven live.
-
Possibly my favorite Kinks song, so that's saying a lot.
I really love a particular live version of this song. I can't find it on YouTube, but Here (https://youtu.be/OErcvuaFkjE) is the closest I could find. There's a lot of different versions of the Kinks playing this song live and they are all very different from one another which tells me they were pretty uneven live.
Judging from the tempo, cocaine may have been involved in that version.
-
Saw the last show with original members of my old roommates' band. One guy is going off to grad school and is being replaced. It was excellent. They have all grown long hair and are looking very (70s? grungy?). I am upset, because I took a picture from the street of the patio at this par with almost every single person I know in St Louis, and then the picture disappeared from my phone. I know it was going to come out blurry and dark, but I wanted to capture that moment.
Also, I didn't tell any of them I was coming. They were very surprised/blown away, which felt great. I told them that now I demand to be labeled their biggest fan.
-
Butthole Surfers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JhRH82G1_g) all godddam day.
I love that album.
-
You know that thing where your favorite band comes out with a new song and you hate it and realize they are going in a direction you will be unable to follow? One of the advantages of age is that you've learned this is a thing that happens. It's still sad but not as shocking and heartbreaking as the first few times.
Did this happen recently with a particular favorite band or is this just a general observation? (Sorry I don't know your favorite band)
-
It did happen recently with a particular favorite band. And at least I could take comfort in the fact that my reaction is more "it's better to have loved and lost..." than it used to be.
-
I finally found the guitar solo that's been in my head for years. It's "Say That You Love Me" by Fleetwood Mac.
Now that I found it, I am feeling like maybe I "found" it once before. And maybe even posted it on here.
-
Great job, guys. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4cGqu2_GQQ)
-
Great job, guys. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4cGqu2_GQQ)
That really killed two birds with one stone. It made a song I never really cared about (Chop Suey) interesting while also giving new life to a song I had become extremely bored with (Crocodile Rock).
-
I listened to a KEXP podcast earlier this week in which the host didn't actually name any of the bands or songs. One song in particular made me say "That sure sounds like Swervedriver."
Turns out, it was Swervedriver. Go figure.
Also, if you're not on the Jason Isbell bandwagon yet, this live show may put you there.
http://www.npr.org/event/music/426505568/jason-isbell-live-in-concert-newport-folk-2015
-
Also, if you're not on the Jason Isbell bandwagon yet, this live show may put you there.
http://www.npr.org/event/music/426505568/jason-isbell-live-in-concert-newport-folk-2015
One minute in, I'm liking what I hear.
-
If I had a favourite KISS cover (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQyRIJ2DXd8) this would probably be it.
I'm gonna assume that's Garth Brooks doing Hard Luck Woman (https://youtu.be/ZTRrotIedp8).
-
Need to see these guys (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbGO4VLYMs0) again. So for hells yeah.
Loved it. Tight!
-
How did I...
what...
how did I forget to check if Parquet Courts were playing shows in NYC this summer. They played several. Now they are going on tour again... and their next show is the week of finals. Again.
-
Fuckers….they are coming west of Texas for the first time, to Denver (which isn't actually west of Texas, but w/e. Also, it is possible they played the West Coast and never came to Denver, but I sort of paid attention to their tour dates cause I have really wanted to see them for a while and don't remember that happening- though why would I?) and I am moving to LA Monday. Well, that's okay! What band plays in Denver and doesn't also go to the West Coast?
Motherfuck*ng Parquet Courts, that's who. Seriously, I have never really heard of this happening. The beauty of Denver is it is the biggest place between Texas/Chicago and the West Coast. That's the only reason to go to Denver if you are a band! Cause you are going to or coming from California.
-
Got mad about a whole summer without live music and went to see my college radio contact's band. I had only met this woman in real life once, but we used to talk every single week about what records were getting played on my station. She remembered me like 6 years later, so that was nice.
Got home at 3 AM. It was worth it? Even though I did not get to see the headliner, who are awesome. (https://youtu.be/L9KCYdJ3yeQ?t=100) Maybe boring stage presence. I got worried I was going to miss the last train home so I left as soon as my bud's band played.
-
I did not get to see the headliner, who are awesome. (https://youtu.be/L9KCYdJ3yeQ?t=100)
Excellent band.
-
I need more Bob Mould (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsDOuq_ktns) in my life.
That video showed up in Drew Magary's column this week. He wrote of it: "Bob Mould’s father died, so he wrote this. Not a ballad. Not some dinky acoustic garbage. He wrote the loudest shit he possibly could. God bless Bob Mould."
-
Listening to Fleetwood Mac (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fVPUoUJ8nQ) and studying for Finance class and wearing faded blue jeans with white sneakers. I know you're supposed to kind of become your parents but this is happening all at once.
Humor: this girl from college commented when I posted this song on FB, then my dad replied to my post, and then she replied to his post? How strange.
-
Oh yeah? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3RUYMGD9-o)
This annoying voice is an earworm in the very worst way.
-
Oh man, I am so obsessed with La Luz. Keith especially, check them out.
Black Hole, Weirdo Shrine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdcmC2UsamA)
You Disappear (maybe better video if you're on the fence after the first) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rJdRvDkVBg)
This lady is NAILING what is great about Dick Dale's surf guitar. So many people play "surf" guitar (including me) that is all major scales and/or the "blues" scale. Her guitar solos especially emphasize weird notes and I love it. But in general, women singing backup vocals and playing nice guitar riffs and really tight drums... I'm dead.
Also apparently the album has 2 inspirations, the comic Black Hole by Charles Burns, and an experience where they got in a car accident and almost all died. I really want to see them for real (I heard, contrary to my earlier statement, that they are actually really intense and fun live).
-
Oh hey, I was getting some Habibi stuff this week and downloaded a split 7" with La Luz, thought La Luz' song was much better. Now, because of a what freeleach, I have everything La Luz has ever done!
-
Whoa, I know a lady who was in Habibi! Her new band (Scully) is really similar I think but I do not remember Habibi super clearly. La Luz are definitely better. Like, so good.
-
I heard them on one of the in studio channel shows I subscribe to on YouTube. I really liked them, great voices. I remember thinking at the time that you would like it.
-
This video gets the coveted HOLY FUCK. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXD0vv-ds8)
I feel like I never understood dancing until I saw it in hip hop videos. I mean, I get that it feels good, but I never understood why you would want to watch someone else dance. When they're doing it right, you feel it.
The end part of this video (where the weird drumbeat comes in) makes me feel every emotion.
(Also of course Hotline Bling (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxpDa-c-4Mc), which does not make me feel any emotion, and the lyrics are dumb, but the video/dancing are great. I will not comment on whether every woman in the video has an amazing butt, I am not a caveman.)
-
No video, but this song is ruling my brain (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEpL7kQcp54). That Devo-esque drum beat, blurted vocals, catchy bass, DAMN.
The rest of their stuff is equally great. I'm sure I will discover more good tracks if I ever get past this song and actually hear the rest of the album.
-
This video gets the coveted HOLY FUCK. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXD0vv-ds8)
I feel like I never understood dancing until I saw it in hip hop videos. I mean, I get that it feels good, but I never understood why you would want to watch someone else dance. When they're doing it right, you feel it.
The end part of this video (where the weird drumbeat comes in) makes me feel every emotion.
Oh yeah, this song appeared on last years Fluxblog. That's a great jam.
-
My baby boys just got posted on stereogum. (http://www.stereogum.com/1841868/brainstems-simple-joy-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/)
Intriguing, this is not at ALL the song I would have picked. I usually skip it when I listen to the album. But listening to it again, I am realizing that maybe I just don't like the opening of the song. The meat is good.
-
Shit, this song from Bojack is kicking my butt. (https://youtu.be/UtEJuhHWRwc?t=2077) I normally really do not like singer-songwriter type stuff but, wow.
Being kind of anxious and moderately lonely is so conducive to reacting strongly to songs.
Walked home from the library at midnight past all the cute couples and groups of friends in the undergrad part of town blasting this in my headphones. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-1WBgeoh9Q)
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
-
Damn, I missed my chance to listen to an NJ band sing about taking the commuter train while I was commuting.
Well, if I'm lucky I'll get a job and I can listen all summer. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG5fUlecZms)
-
Todd Rundgren, holy cow!
Ashamed to say I gave my ex these albums for some holiday (maybe Christmas?) because I knew she liked him, but never bothered listening to them.
-
Todd Rundgren, holy cow!
Glad you finally Saw the Light (https://youtu.be/fXq81-cGJr4)
-
Gotta love the Todd.
-
Inev had to know that post would bring out the olds.
Oh, so that's how it's gonna be?
-
Protomartyr are doing it so hard.
Want Remover? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO7lmiUQdm8)
Tarpeian Rock? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWmaOvhfX88)
Ellen? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoPEmM4Nxrc)
Devil in his fuck*ng youth? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6LbF5tp4JM)
These guys get it.
But it all changed when he came of age
It was nothing like the simulated game
The women didn't love him
The races all ignored him
His proclamations failed
So he screamed
"Now you bend!"
I feel like until recently I was not hearing any of the bands I like singing about modern shit. I actually thought it was impossible to mention a laptop or cellphone or texting in a rock song without it sounding stupid. But these guys pull it off. And parquet courts.
My friend who I have an enormous crush on met them after a show recently and said they were extremely friendly and cool dudes. Damn.
I am also listening to tons of Roomrunner (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DmLBPL2afw) lately. When I saw them a few years ago I noticed the singer does my absolute favorite rock move-- putting the microphone slightly too high and kind of leaning up to it when he sings, and then falling back when it's time to play a lead guitar part. Damn. He also has my guitar.
-
I've been getting into them! If you see a picture of them they look like 3 black sabbath burn outs with their high school chemistry teacher. I really like this.
Also, god damn Jason Molina/songs Ohio/magnolia blah blah is so damn good
-
The music I tried to get laid to in St Louis (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQFhSHZ3CsQ) is a perfect accompaniment for late night study/code sessions. Blasting it.
This singer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpyt3qUI6nc) has a particular thing going on in her voice that I identify as "LA," which might be spurious.
-
Hell and fuck yes my boys (http://www.imposemagazine.com/bytes/new-music/stream-the-brainstems-no-place-else)
I think my favorites are Elevators and Escalators, 4244, Redline, People's Joy, and Stallioning. But all are good.
(I am mildly bummed that all the promo shots show the new drummer, and not my old roommate who is on the album but quit to go to grad school before it came out)
For some reason the songs other people like are... not the songs I like. Go figure.
-
OMG, takes me back! The cute punk girl freshman year of high school was listening to that compilation on her walkman and told me about it in front of my locker. I thought it sounded stupid, because isn't punk just like angry yelling? I went home and listened to some more classic rock.
-
*I revived my old Moto Defy by slapping a bootloader over a custom ROM on a recovery reboot and now I have a Android 2.2 phone with 32G of music and books and wireless capability for Netflix.
Hey, I think I could do something like that...
-
Wicked Game!
Belatedly realized that on Spotify, when I hear some random song that I like I should add it to a playlist. So now I have a 2-hour playlist of songs I discovered this year and loved. Spotify is magically good at finding 80s punk songs, modern garage rock songs, and weird classic rock gems that I haven't heard. If anyone is interested I can share it. Also, are any of you guys on spotify?
-
Depending on what yours is doing, it may be simple or...not.
Can't give you what I had because I ran DBAN on the old IDE-PATA drive it was on, so that's gone-gone anyways.
I started reading here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Motorola_Defy) when I wanted to root the phone and make it do some non-standard things. Same place was my primary help on bringing the thing back to life.
Come to think of it, I think the Defy might have gotten smashed. There's a Moto G around someplace whose battry won't charge anymore, that's what I was thinking of.
-
I'm on Spotify - I mostly use it to play music while I'm at work. I use Beats/Apple Music on my mobile devices because I have a family subscription to that service.
-
Yeah, those guys are my shit.
There is some of there stuff on this recent "Ork Records: New York New York" compilation that rules. Mid to late 70s "what will be called punk but does not sound like later punk" scene. It is also on spotify.
-
Goddamn, this lady put out an incredibly good breakup album (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edl7918vuDU) around the time I broke up with that girl. Didn't hear until now. She is good as hell.
I have always avoided anything that seemed "singer-songwriter"-y but that Spotify Discover feature is finding me the good ones.
-
Listening to Pixies on my really good headphones. How can they be so good.
Why am I doing homework at midnight on a friday 3 days after my last exam.
I never got why people thought Joey Santiago's guitar playing was "weird." He just makes cool noises in the background a lot of the time, what's weird about that. In the however many years since then I have realized that... yeah, almost nobody.
I still stand by my belief that none of the bands people say "sound like the pixies" sound like them.
-
I feel the same way! The fall too. None of those bands sound like the fall. They are sloppy post punk, but that does not equal sounds like the fall (or the pixies).
-
In STL for the New Year, and ate dinner last night with a certain someone and her sisters and their husbands. It felt like a fantasy of the best possible future. Leaving felt like waking up from a nice dream.
So to end 2015 I am going to post this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Evmge4Zpw), and then see if I do one of those things you guys love to hear about. I do not imagine it is going the way I want, but, like the song says, there is no other way.
(yeesh inev, come on, hove some dignity)
-
I ghosted from a party around 11:15. Now I am at home listening to the soundtrack to Searching for the Wrong Eyed Jesus (https://youtu.be/deWk5szhjxQ) because I'm feeling morose.
-
Yeah, that went about how I expected. Hello, 2016.
-
Was listening to this song's best part (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoxOmRN3knQ) as I drove past a building that is getting rehabbed in St Louis. Around the corner from my old place, something about seeing this building that had been abandoned at least since I was in college turned into a new home just nailed me. Had to pull over for a moment and take some deep breaths.
This city has so much damn grit. Sometimes things get better.
(is it getting turned into fancy condos, I bet it is)
-
Remember Inev, Cowards Starve. You weren't a coward!
-
Just heard this band (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foals_%28band%29) perform on Late Show with Stephen Colbert (https://youtu.be/2fHD3k1wCBw). Really enjoyed it so I went looking for more (https://youtu.be/e2UGAbamvYM). Reminds me a bit of early Radiohead (https://youtu.be/gNzdI_XLfBs) which can't be a coincidence given that they are from the same hometown. I'd like to think that every band from Oxford must sound like Radiohead to a certain extent.
-
Listened to Radiohead and Foals for an hour and it's getting too artsy/faggy for me so I had to kick it old school (https://youtu.be/LZMmV6xXYFw) to cleanse my pallate.
-
Bought a ton of records over break, finally giving in... sitting on the floor in my room listening on headphones. I left my big speakers in St Louis (they were a goodwill find that I inherited from a guy who moved out) so my stereo has been sitting here unused for the last year and a half.
Protomartyr are so, so good. They and Parquet Courts make me feel like it is a new golden age of records inev likes. I think 2013-2015 might be tied with the mid 70s and late 60s for most records in my collection, which is crazy. To be fair, most of the modern bands I like are closely following influences from the last few decades (mostly 80s/90s).
But right now I'm listening to some goddamn classical music like a classy dude.
-
It's weird (or not?) how similar our musical tastes are. Seriously, Protomartyr and Parquet Courts are some of the only bands I like everything from.
A halo on your ass, the only place that it could fit.
-
Bowie, obviously. Welcome to the only game in town.
-
Bowie, obviously. Welcome to the only game in town.
Obviously.
-
Bowie, obviously. Welcome to the only game in town.
HEROES on repeat. A weird, weird wonderful era for a weird, weird wonderful being.
-
Hop Along, "Waitress." Holy cats, her voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIPAEclVg-Y
I have never been a huge Bowie fan, but obviously his influence is everywhere. On a recent NPR podcast, they had a couple of the guys who recorded with him on "Blackstar" and they said he was completely down to earth, supportive, and collaborative. Dude could have competed with Cornelius in the Badass Games, that's for sure.
-
Today:
Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside: An Album by Earl Sweatshirt (2015)
Tom Waits - Small Change (1976) <--- I listen to a Waits album in entirety every single day
Tayi Bebba - Clap! Clap! (2014)
Mantronix - Mantronix: The Album (1985)
Kurt Vile - b'lieve i'm goin down... <---- holychristsogood
Watching most recent SNL (seems I will never give up on this show), and Fred Armisen introduces a tribute to Bowie. They play a clip of his 1979 SNL performance of "The Man Who Sold The World." SO turns to me and asks, "Why did he cover a Nirvana song?"
-
After way too much time trying to screw some tiny-ass screws and stringing up some copper stereo wire, I finally have a working stereo in my lil' NJ bedroom. Breaking it in with some Creedence, Thee Oh Sees, and Replacements. Unfortunately the bookshelf space situation was already dire, and now is insane. Every shelf has a double-layer of books on it.
11 inch tall speakers are not great for bass. But the sound overall is pretty good. Both speakers pointed directly at my bed, for making out let's be honest I am sitting on/in my bed at almost all times when I am home.
-
Whoa...yes!
-
Holy cow. Maybe the best used record haul of my career. Although, to be fair, this was partially because I have never before bought a used record that cost more than $20. I got the 2nd Feelies album, Sweetheart of the Rodeo, In the Court of the Crimson King, and Elizabeth Cotten.
Good news: people online are selling that Elizabeth Cotten record for $50, so if I get buyer's remorse I can flip it.
Also went through and sorted my records today. I was pleased to see I have not accidentally bought any doubles. It's also great looking at all the covers... the images are just so much cooler when they're 12 inches tall than when they're on my laptop screen.
The Agent Intellect by Protomartyr came with a big square black and white poster of the album cover, so now this guy (http://static.stereogum.com/uploads/2015/10/Protomartyr_LP2.jpg) is watching me sleep.
-
Holy cow. Maybe the best used record haul of my career. Although, to be fair, this was partially because I have never before bought a used record that cost more than $20. I got the 2nd Feelies album, Sweetheart of the Rodeo, In the Court of the Crimson King, and Elizabeth Cotten.
Nice! 21st Century Schizoid Man for the win!
-
Thanks to Miles, ZZ Top, of course!
-
After getting stood up on a date I was driving home in a major nihilistic self-loathing spiral and then was inspired to listen to this jam. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqQLwINA6pE)
I think it is pretty counter to my entire lifestyle/life philosophy whatever, but it is really really important for me to occasionally have moments where I am blasting punk music and feeling the surge of "this is me, I do not need your permission or approval to do whatever the fuck I want."
Fuck You Monday?
-
Thanks to Miles, ZZ Top, of course!
Nice! After I saw that video I went and added a couple of their albums to the queue. Haven't had a chance to listen yet. What albums are your favorite?
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkG3TI9W31U
Over and over and over and over and
-
I think I finally get Elliott Smith!
Also bands known for their lyrics sometimes make the best instrumentals!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NT6ds9DE8gY
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GGq51esz84A
-
Nice! After I saw that video I went and added a couple of their albums to the queue. Haven't had a chance to listen yet. What albums are your favorite?
Their first two albums are really good, Just Got Paid (https://youtu.be/db94lyKYOcg) is a great song from their second album, but they really got their shit together with their third album, Tres Hombres, the one with the awesome photo of that Mexican smorgasbord. It's a killer, obviously and LaGrange alone is worth the price of admission, but that's not all it has to offer by a long shot. Among many standout tracks for me are Waitin' on the Bus/Jesus Left Chicago (https://youtu.be/pZEu3M95Zv0) and Have You Heard (https://youtu.be/L8RgfTlV09w). I think their Magnum Opus is Fandango, their fourth album. Side one is live, recorded in a club in New Orleans. It's raw and it's wild. Thunderbird (https://youtu.be/ytZrzwfJn1g) might be the greatest thing they ever recorded. Side Two is even better. Every song is great Check out Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings (https://youtu.be/C8WNoG4pf6I). One of my first concert experiences at the age of 14 was seeing ZZ Top on Thanksgiving day in 1976. It still stands out in my mind as one of the best concerts I've ever seen. They called it their World Wide Texas Tour and they had longhorn steers, vultures, and rattlesnakes on stage with them. I still have the program I bought at the show. About a month after I saw them they released Tejas, which is the last album of the first era of the band. They took 3 years off, grew their beards and came back with a slicker tighter sound. The songs were goofier. Overall I prefer their gritty early stuff, but there's a lot to love in the new era. Degüello is the best album of their second life. You just gotta move around a little bit when I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide (https://youtu.be/JIrhcOIYfA8) and Cheap Sunglasses (https://youtu.be/97bMX7KV8d4) come on. But the one that really gets me going is Manic Mechanic (https://youtu.be/X7c2B2eVkZI). After that they got even more popular and became household names so I probably don't need to point out Sharp Dressed Man, or Legs or whatever. Incredibly they made their live television debut in 1986 on the Johnny Carson Show (https://youtu.be/eibFiNSZEC8) which I lived when it originally aired. Hope this was helpful.
-
Very helpful. Tres Hombres and Degüello are the albums I previously downloaded. Tres Hombres kicks ass, and I haven't listened to Degüello yet. I'll check Fandango out too.
I'd never heard Jesus Just Left Chicago before, but apparently AC/DC cribbed the main riff for Ride On, so I kinda had heard it.
-
I'd never heard Jesus Just Left Chicago before, but apparently AC/DC cribbed the main riff for Ride On, so I kinda had heard it.
Heh, I'd never made that connection before, but totally you are right. I don't think Ride on has the Punch of JJLC, but...
-
The Suffers (https://youtu.be/7sZYd9eHMK0)
I Love This Band!
-
Some years ago I ripped all my CDs to MP3, which works really well with the Sonos being the home stereo. The other week we unearthed my wife's CDs, mostly stuff from her college years and shortly thereafter. Hey, you want these copied to MP3 too? Sure, that'd be great.
I love my wife very much and wouldn't trade her for anything. But incorporating Kid Rock's "Devil Without a Cause" into my music library is PAINFUL.
-
Glad to know that relationships can thrive without compatible musical tastes.
I do not know where they are hiding, but I have never successfully gone on a date with someone who likes good music. Not since my ex, who liked almost the exact same music as me.
-
Glad to know that relationships can thrive without compatible musical tastes.
Oh, definitely. Fortunately she doesn't dislike most of the music I play, so I can put on whatever I want for the most part.
On a brighter note--my daughters seemed to have inherited my wife's penchant for music (i.e. they like some things fine but aren't as into it overall as I am). But the other day I caught my oldest singing The Head & The Heart's "Let's Be Still," and when I asked how she knew that song she said "Because you play it?" (Questioning in as, how else would I know that, duh?) So there's hope there. She also likes The Decemberists.
-
She likes The Head and The Heart and The Decemberists so like...where is the hope?!! (Sorry, just fuck*ng around. We travel without seat belts on, we live this close to death)
-
I'm giving Keith a can for the smart ass comment.
-
Today I went to the pot store at ten am and it was a goddamn 420 fest in a business parking lot in Los Feliz. I don't even puff, just got some illegal friends. It is a favor exchange you could call it. Anyways it reminded me of something and now I'm rocking some throwback shit:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kNf54L5uFZI
Damn good album.
-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kNf54L5uFZI
Damn good album.
Great record. I listened to this album nonstop for about 2 months when it came out.
-
Say whatever you want about Texas, the bands from there are always the best. I think it's cause if you are a weird band from Texas you actually have to be weird. There is no benefit to pretending to be a freak (cough la cough New York cough San Francisco)
-
I can confirm that at least one of those cities seems to have a lot of people who dress weird but are very boring and not weird at all.
This is actually also relevant to "going on dates with people who don't like good music."
My friends in STL somehow let me take for granted that if you were smart and kind of "hip" you would be interested in music. Like... even a little bit interested.
Are you just nonstop hitting on girls in denim jackets at Burger Records shows, Keith?
-
I can confirm that about another one of those cities too!
Actually out here those people are into good music, they just look like they are trying slightly too hard. There is one club you drive by and it looks like a fuck*ng 1980s punk club from the movies. Literally everyone wearing spiky leather jackets, jeans, cons, etc... The hipster areas actively annoy me. I'm sure people look at me and think the same thing, so fuck it I guess.
-
Say whatever you want about Texas, the bands from there are always the best. I think it's cause if you are a weird band from Texas you actually have to be weird. There is no benefit to pretending to be a freak (cough la cough New York cough San Francisco)
That might be true of Texas in general. Could explain why we love artcars so much here.
-
Yes, I legit miss that about Oklahoma. If there are like 100 cool people in your whole town it adds a level of bonding or something?
Also, I have this problem where I kind of hate people like me, so no inev, I am not. Though I should be. Instead I spend my time with a very respectable British girl or hanging out with speed freak ese's. Never the two shall meet!
I almost got stabbed last weekend. Ahhhh, living!
Related? This might come out of the Oklahoman in me who is all, you hipsters aren't freaks, these folks working 12 hours days and partying still...they are freaks. And also funner to be around/less judgy.
-
I've always been the hipster with crack house friends though. Then the other hipsters come to me for their grime drugs and I go to them for the psychs. People who chill at crack houses may not know a ton about ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead or the 13th Floor Elevators or even about when Bobby D was the greatest person who ever lived (I know, I know, lame as hell) but they are fun to be around and give a lot less fucks.
-
OK, what you want out of "weird" people is beyond my desires. I'm sure if you met me you would think I was very square. I just want to meet nerdy people who are down to go see a loud band sometimes. I would not go to a crack house with you.
-
Nah man, it ain't like that. Today I just drove on the Pacific Coast Highway in my girls (who has never smoked crack or done coke, meth, heroin...any of that shit! Not even adderal!) new car. So like, yeah, as long as you don't pretend to be better than me while spending your time at coffee houses or judge me for doing drugs we would get along famously. Also I can introduce you to some cats.
Sometimes I think about that Eagles of Death Metal line, where he is all, I ain't been around cause I work for my money. That's what I have wanted to yell at every hipster in two states for a minute. I will say, LA (and probably New York?) hipsters are so much nicer than Denver hipsters. Like, Denver is large enough to have a hipster community, but small enough where it is real inclusive and weird. Here it is big enough that it is whatever and everyone can have their own opinions and shit.
Sorry...I was in the best band in Denver. For real. We got written about in multiple national reviews of the Denver scene as best punk/hipstery band. (This doesn't make us that good, hipster bands in Denver mainly suck ass.) The most popular hipster band was friends with us and dug us. Everyone else was playing some bullshit game we were not a part of. Because we had fuck*ng jobs. It made me jaded!! (Also we were actively antagonistic towards other hipsters....maybe our fault? But very whimsically antagonistic!)
-
She likes The Head and The Heart and The Decemberists so like...where is the hope?!! (Sorry, just fuck*ng around. We travel without seat belts on, we live this close to death)
Or, she could like Taylor Swift and Justin Beiber. Choose your battles.
-
Oh yeah, you were in a band. Was there a demo I downloaded or something? What were you called? I vaguely remember liking it.
-
Some new songs I like:
Operators, "Cold Light"
http://www.stereogum.com/1855403/operators-cold-light/mp3s/
Rob Crow's Gloomy Place "Business Interruptus"
http://www.stereogum.com/1844511/rob-crows-gloomy-place-business-interruptus/mp3s/
And this is normally not at all my thing, but: the hell this new Babymetal song isn't bad-ass.
http://www.npr.org/2016/03/18/470657368/songs-we-love-babymetal-karate
-
And this is normally not at all my thing, but: the hell this new Babymetal song isn't bad-ass.
http://www.npr.org/2016/03/18/470657368/songs-we-love-babymetal-karate
Just the right kind of silly for today.
-
Probably listened to this record (https://youtu.be/SNlWSwCF-5s) 50 times when it first came out. I've been returning to it numerous times lately.
-
The Austin 100 (http://www.npr.org/2016/03/01/468352361/the-austin-100-a-sxsw-2016-mix) they are calling it. It's a 100 song mix of up and comers playing at SXSW this week. I haven't cracked it open yet, but the 2015 mix (http://www.npr.org/2015/03/03/390053158/the-austin-100-a-sxsw-2015-mix) was pretty great.
-
August West, Paging August West
Found a $6 copy of Discipline by King Crimson and threw it on while I'm cleaning my room. Holy cow! This is some MUSIC.
-
Fun Fact: Adrian Belew is from Covington, Kentucky -- right across the river from Cincinnati.
Woot.
-
Someone posted this video (https://youtu.be/GTQrlDzqUCA) on Facebook recently. I was a big fan of that show, but I don't remember this. Might have been an episode I missed back in the day.
-
Fun Fact: Adrian Belew is from Covington, Kentucky -- right across the river from Cincinnati.
Woot.
I've been to Covington a couple times for work. Both times I stayed right by the river and had a good view of that suspension bridge designed by John A. Roebling. Which according to Wikipedia is conveniently named the John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge. It's a really cool bridge.
Also, I drove by this crime scene: http://www.wcpo.com/news/body-discovered-in-covington
-
I've been to Covington a couple times for work. Both times I stayed right by the river and had a good view of that suspension bridge designed by John A. Roebling. Which according to Wikipedia is conveniently named the John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge. It's a really cool bridge.
I have walked across it, more than once.
-
I have walked across it, more than once.
A few years before I went there for work, I was visiting family in Columbus and we drove down to catch a Red's game. We parked in Covington and walked across the bridge to the ballpark.
I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge once, too.
That Roebling fella designed a couple pretty decent bridges, you ask me.
-
Saw this headline: Andrew W.K. Organizes His Own Political Party
I thought, huh, wonder if he calls it the Party Party.
Yup. (http://pitchfork.com/news/64525-andrew-wk-organizes-his-own-political-party/)
-
Saw this headline: Andrew W.K. Organizes His Own Political Party
I thought, huh, wonder if he calls it the Party Party.
Yup. (http://pitchfork.com/news/64525-andrew-wk-organizes-his-own-political-party/)
What else?
-
The Party Harder Party? The I Get Wet Party? That pretty much exhausts my Andrew W.K. knowledge.
But yeah, the Party Party was the only real option.
-
I am vastly amused at how quickly this movement has been filed and categorized (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_frivolous_political_parties) as well.
It's not on there. Maybe it was too frivolous to make the list.
-
It's been a long time since I posted a Japanese music video and since someone beat me to Babymetal, how about this one. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9iozQDEO_U)
-
It's been a long time since I posted a Japanese music video and since someone beat me to Babymetal, how about this one. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9iozQDEO_U)
Fun song!
-
Walked to a record store after work and got the new Parquet Courts. It's maybe their catchiest/most straightforward album yet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv0bBjMc6FY). Very good. I also got a little band photo and a button.
-
Oh man, it is the only thing they've done I don't like! But that doesn't mean it isn't their catchiest or most straight forward. Berlin got blurry is cool?
-
I'm pretty sure I listened to this album (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgBQwqi1OYU) 6 times this weekend.
-
The first two Weezer albums are so good. Being in a band like this seems very fun. Maybe wherever I move I can start a fuzzy power pop band.
I would want to cover Across the Sea (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxCYPXMzOtI) because it's so damn catchy, but I do not know if I have the cojones to sing about "licking and sniffing" a fan letter from an 18 year old.
-
I keep returning to Queen II lately. Particularly March of the Black Queen (https://youtu.be/ckRX0k9owAY).
-
How do I have 3 obscure versions of Ain't no Sunshine in my iTunes library, but not the original? Is that even possible. I don't think Wynonna Judd or Paul McCartney is gonna scratch that particular itch. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, definitely not.
Harvest and After the Gold Rush are both in high demand in my brain.
I'm still kinda in denial about Prince, but I reckon I'll be listening to him a bunch later.
-
Purple Rain. Sick and tired of this. (not the album)
-
Dammit feels, dammit. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVp32iQefkc)
Would love to hear a good recording of that. Which I guess is what's on that live album you showed a photo of.
-
There was a professional film crew there. Has that video emerged?
-
Woah, some asshole stole Boogie Boy's mask and ran away. I like how the guy filming said "Gee Whiz!"
-
A friend of mine does the music photography for the local indy paper. He posted some photos of Foals who played here last night. So I googled them and really liked it (https://youtu.be/iuQQIawCqBA). Seems like I was exposed to them awhile back and maybe forgot about it. Did anyone here bring them up?
-
There's a certain style of banjo playing. It's not playing chords, or that fast bluegrass picking. I don't know if Neil Young invented this style (https://youtu.be/SYUgGs9IStY), but he's the oldest example of it that I know about. Everytime I hear the banjo played like this it just sends me (https://youtu.be/GzJXDpmTHKY).
-
Wikipedia says that that's James Taylor playing a banjo tuned like a guitar on Old Man. So maybe it's just that fingerstyle guitar players don't try to play so fast.
(also you know maybe James Taylor has a dang smooth style love him or hate him)
-
(also you know maybe James Taylor has a dang smooth style love him or hate him)
I like James Taylor, he's alright. I like him more right about now learning that he played on one of my all time favorite songs.
-
My mom sent me a copy of the latest James Taylor album (she likes to copy CDs and send them to me, which isn't altogether legal) and wrote a note saying I should listen to "Angels of Fenway" or whatever it's called.
Before I did, I googled it, and found this piece on Deadspin (http://deadspin.com/james-taylor-premieres-new-awful-song-about-the-red-so-1701955781), which includes one of the greatest lines of criticism ever: “Angels of Fenway” sounds like a parody song, or maybe what James Taylor would perform at an improv night when handed a random card reading, “Sing a song about the Red Sox.”
-
Copying a CD to another CD and sending it in the mail is a charming form of piracy.
James Taylor is my dad's favorite. I want to say I can't stand him, but that's a bit strong. I definitely do not have much interest in his music though. My dad used to sing "sweet dreams and flying machines" to me when I was a baby so I can't hate him.
-
Copying a CD to another CD and sending it in the mail is a charming form of piracy.
She maintains that giving a copy to a friend is somehow fair use. I haven't asked her for a legal citation on that.
Once I understood how little recording artists typically get paid, I am much less down with "free music."
-
James Taylor is my dad's favorite. I want to say I can't stand him, but that's a bit strong. I definitely do not have much interest in his music though. My dad used to sing "sweet dreams and flying machines" to me when I was a baby so I can't hate him.
James Taylor's first album, on Apple Records, is actually surprisingly decent (well maybe not that surprisingly, given that Paul McCartney and George Harrison appear on "Carolina in my Mind (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsDpo1XwzWk)"). "Something in the Way She Moves (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2fhGzjOPLM)" is also really good.
-
The only real criticism of James Taylor that comes to mind is he's overly serious. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I like his hits from back in the day when he made hits.
-
Damn, this album (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkdKLScgGDo) is so good. Plus, the cover is a tribute to a great Nick Drake album.
I am a huge sucker for guitars that are overdriven and sustained in this way... it's almost like they're singing? Also present at this moment of this incredible Feelies song. (https://youtu.be/nWJNGs8bXAs?t=109)
I finally bought a guitar pedal that makes my guitar sound like this last year. It's great. Although maybe the sound is also about humbuckers. My jag has single coils.
-
She maintains that giving a copy to a friend is somehow fair use. I haven't asked her for a legal citation on that.
Mmm, I think she has gotten that confused with "lending your own copy to a friend."
-
This one has been in my head to the "can't sleep at night because I'm mentally singing it" level for a week. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IQkU5SZ3Zo) Damn.
-
This one has been in my head to the "can't sleep at night because I'm mentally singing it" level for a week. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IQkU5SZ3Zo) Damn.
I heard a couple songs off this album and really liked them so I bought it. A little while later I went to listen to it and was bored out of my mind. And then I listened to it again a while later and I loved it. Maybe I'm just extra moody these days.
But I just listened to this song and I still like it a lot.
-
Her two eps are the best fuck*ng things.
-
I don't know if I'm too close, but my first really good friend out here played lead guitar on this record: https://hepa-titus.bandcamp.com/album/follow-me
I'm pretty fuck*ng into it, and real into his guitar, especially his solo on the first song.
-
also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEsItsZphwQ
so into this
-
Cross-posting from the Facebooks. Audio from the Nirvana show I went to in Philly in 1991 is available.
http://thekey.xpn.org/2013/10/01/today-in-philly-music-history-nirvana-headlined-j-c-dobbs-in-1991/
-
My sister-in-law is a super, super good singer - got her Master's in choral music, gets paid to sing Ave Maria at weddings, sings in a rock band for beers and pocket money. Everytime I hear her sing it's a little surreal, like "That's Catherine - I know her."
I don't know if I'm too close, but my first really good friend out here played lead guitar on this record: https://hepa-titus.bandcamp.com/album/follow-me
I'm pretty fuck*ng into it, and real into his guitar, especially his solo on the first song.
-
Cross-posting from the Facebooks. Audio from the Nirvana show I went to in Philly in 1991 is available.
http://thekey.xpn.org/2013/10/01/today-in-philly-music-history-nirvana-headlined-j-c-dobbs-in-1991/
What is your recollection of this show?
-
What is your recollection of this show?
Quite a few things. For one, there was a kid in the mosh pit with actual football shoulder pads on under a sweatshirt. I elbowed him in the ribs.
The band was great, super-intense, despite playing such a short set. I personally didn't chant "sell-outs!" But I was a little bewildered that they didn't do an encore.
Then after the show I met the guy from the record label (this was when I was music director at our college radio station), who had promised me a chance to get someone from the band and get a station ID. So he takes me backstage, and plunks me down next to Novoselic, who has his shirt off and is just staring off into space. There are some other random dudes hanging around. It was awkward. I say "Hey, great show man."
Nothing.
"Kinda short though."
One of the other guys leans forward. "Yeah, it was."
OK then. So I pull out my micro cassette recorder (sign of the times, eh?) and my business card. "So, here's our station info, if you could..."
He takes the recorder, turns it on, and says in a goofy high-pitched voice, "Ohhh, you're listening to WFNM, 89.1 in Lancaster! This is Kris from Nirvana saying hee hee hee!"
Turns it off, hands it back to me, resumes staring off into space.
"OK, thanks man." And I left.
Tragically, that never actually got turned into a station ID. I gave the tape to our engineer guy, who said he could transfer it to another format, and I never heard it again.
-
I think the fate of station ID's recorded by cool bands is to disappear when you give them to the tech guy. Except in my case it was the Vivian Girls, who nobody cares about even 2 years later.
-
Oh how it must feel so jaded at such a young age.
-
It's just funny to me to remember how big of a deal I thought that was, and how upset I was when we lost the station ID. I never even listened to their second album, except for the single.
And I'm old enough to be jaded, rock stars are supposed to be dead at my age!
-
I think the fate of station ID's recorded by cool bands is to disappear when you give them to the tech guy. Except in my case it was the Vivian Girls, who nobody cares about even 2 years later.
We had some good ones. They Might Be Giants did one, as did King Missile, and 3rd Bass.
On one occasion we were messing around in the recording studio, and the guy who did the rap show was there. So we called a guy I knew at a hip-hop label and asked "You got any one around who can do a station ID for us?" He put on some rapper we'd never heard of, who then proceeded to have a lot of trouble getting the station info and the names of our hip-hop DJs right. At one point he said "Oh my motherfuck*ng Jesus," which would have made for an excellent station ID if not for the pesky FCC.
-
New book about the Replacements came out, apparently it's great. Went to a thing in NYC where the author talked with Jon Wurster (of Superchunk, the Bob Mould band, Mountain Goats, and others) about the process of writing the book, his interviews with the band members, etc. It was so cool. He pointed out the band's A&R guy at Sire records in the 80s, as well as a guy who wrote an early article about them in the audience. Great night. Also picked up a copy of the book, gonna read it on the train.
-
It seems popular sport to dis Radiohead, but I still love them and their latest album is frikkin' awesome.
-
Tomorrow I'm going to see Sleep with one of my St Louis buddies.
Or, maybe I'm going to see them. it's this idiotic system where you have to register for a free ticket, but they distribute more free tickets than there are spots. Then you go wait in line and the first how ever many people are allowed in, everyone else is SOL. Why?? It was the same for a Parquet Courts show at the venue last year and I decided not to even try to go because I was worried I'd take the train there for nothing. This time at least I can hang out with my friend if we don't get in. But what a waste of time.
-
Anybody keeping up with this TicketMaster thing? It's so weird. Background: http://gawker.com/check-your-ticketmaster-account-you-probably-have-free-1782209001
Yesterday they posted a bunch of shows that were voucher-eligible. That included a fair number of shows at The Venue Formerly Known as Nissan Pavilion (now unfortunately named Jiffy Lube Live), a big outdoor venue in the westernmost suburbs of DC and thus not far from me. Most of them sucked, but there were a few I wouldn't mind seeing for free, including the Weezer show this Friday. But I needed to check on the schedule of some things, so I didn't grab them right away.
The morning, those shows are off the list. All of them. (Tickets still available for purchase, though.) There's other stuff, including a bunch of shows at the Fillmore, a theater-type venue in Silver Spring, but literally nothing I'm interested in. So did all the free tickets for the JLL shows get snapped up? Or did they just put them out there for a day and say "settlement fulfilled?" I suppose I should expect nothing less from a company being forced to give their shit away via lawsuit.
My vouchers are good through 2020, so I have several more years of terrible country bands and 90's retreads to potentially go see.
-
The Fillmore is fascinating in that I had no idea how many bands there are in the world that I'd never heard of. I mean, I know I don't keep up to date on listening to lots of new bands, but I don't live in a cave, I read a lot so at least see the names of lots of bands in passing even if I never hear their music. If I look at the list of shows at say the 9:30 Club, the names of maybe 25% will at least be familiar. But in the years since the Fillmore opened, I swear only one or two times have I seen their concert ads and recognized a name.
-
I haven't heard of almost any of these bands either. Weird.
-
True. But they wouldn't get booked at the Fillmore if there wasn't a reasonable expectation that someone would come out and see them. Same goes for all the acts at the pavilions that hipsters like us (e.g. Jezebel (http://jezebel.com/ticketmaster-s-free-show-offerings-for-class-action-sui-1782356943)) say "Man, they're shitty and old," but SOMEONE'S going to these shows.
-
Yeah. There are venues that seem like the Fillmore in Charlotte, too. Medium sized, only book bands that I have never heard of. I want to figure out what demographic goes to see shows like that.
Maybe it's like the "punk" guy in my program. I initially thought we might like some of the same stuff, but his knowledge of music stops at Green Day. If it was before 1990 it may as well be classical music. He likes modern music that sounds like 90s pop-punk, pretty much exclusively. I guess there are musical scenes out there that are invisible to me.
-
Oh yeah, I don't doubt that there are people who want to see them. I'm sure I've liked musical groups in my life that had with smaller fan bases than any of them. It's just striking that they manage to book so many acts and they are ALL bands I have never heard of.
Yeah. There are venues that seem like the Fillmore in Charlotte, too. Medium sized, only book bands that I have never heard of. I want to figure out what demographic goes to see shows like that.
Once in a while I pass by when people are lined up to get in to a show. It's funny that it's always different but you can always tell that they are A Demographic.
-
Speaking of A Demographic, it's striking to me how fine grained those things can get in big cities. One of my friends in NYC would invite me to her parties before she moved away, and every couple had a man who worked in tech and a woman who worked in media. All of the dudes dressed exactly like me and all of the women looked like the cute nerd I'd want to say hi to on the subway (but not say hi to, because I'm not a psychopath).
-
True. And yet we all manage to think of ourselves as unique snowflakes.
-
I'm sure when you go to parties it's all women who speak Japanese and train pugs and write, and their technical staffs.
-
If that were true, I might actually go to parties.
-
I know I freak out every time they put something out, but I am legit losing my mind about how much I love this new release by my boys in St Louis. I'm seeing them tomorrow and Friday in NYC and I'm freaking out. They're so fuck*ng tight now.
Hanging on the Telephone cover? Wasted cover? See No Evil? Super high-energy versions of some of their best songs? Put this thing out for real, guys. (https://brainstems.bandcamp.com/track/tour-tape-summer-2016)
-
I am so hooked on their version of Hanging on the Telephone. My guy nails the "pleading soulful nerd" delivery... they've come so far. (https://brainstems.bandcamp.com/track/tour-tape-summer-2016) At ~15:50. (y u no make an actual track listing...)
-
Radio (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iExvbblA50) Kepi (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssqkDQoYHuk) has been setting me up all right lately.
Damn fine tune!
-
One for the Parquet Courts fans. Performing a new song on Late Night with Stephen Colbert (https://youtu.be/fXbbiuhVzYA). They've extended their band, four guitars, wow. The song features a guest appearance by Houston's own Bun B.
-
I know I freak out every time they put something out, but I am legit losing my mind about how much I love this new release by my boys in St Louis. I'm seeing them tomorrow and Friday in NYC and I'm freaking out. They're so fuck*ng tight now.
I really like the first song. I'll listen to the rest later.
-
I am so hooked on their version of Hanging on the Telephone. My guy nails the "pleading soulful nerd" delivery... they've come so far. (https://brainstems.bandcamp.com/track/tour-tape-summer-2016) At ~15:50. (y u no make an actual track listing...)
They really did a great job with this. Of course, it's such an awesome song it's hard to fuck it up.
-
Finally grabbed the new Band of hosss record. Proceeding to listen to "In a Drawer" like 8 times in a row.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAv8IC6SDy8
-
Finally grabbed the new Band of hosss record. Proceeding to listen to "In a Drawer" like 8 times in a row.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAv8IC6SDy8
I read a review of this album somewhere, Pitchfork maybe, and they called it a return to form.
-
I thought I had posted this before but I looked through the last year of posts and couldn't find it. Goddamn it Saturday Night (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_2EMbmIU70) lyrics and guitar solo just nailing me. I think I own every album by these guys except this one, which is the one I like the most. Go figure.
-
I'm listening to Okinawan music. I was going to post something, but I can't figure out how to do that thing where you link to a YouTube video starting somewhere in the middle. Or am I remembering wrong and it is not possible?
-
right click on the video, select "copy video URL at current time." At least that's how it works for me.
-
Hey look at that! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsOA-5CDpRk&feature=youtu.be&t=192) Thanks.
-
So if anyone cares, that is not a traditional song, but actually written by some regular Japanese group but I guess was embraced by Okinawan performers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZeUBDF4FPs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZeUBDF4FPs)
But it sent me down the YouTube rabbit hole for the last two days listening to Okinawan music.
-
I wonder if it was chosen for similar reasons as this gamelan ensemble covers Gang of Four. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K19jPwpP5XY&list=FLQ1lMSuFBlDO8JNmHuEUB2A&index=106)
In this case I am pretty sure it's that Gang of Four only uses intervals they can play on their gongs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZUZCahyoFg), which is pretty rare in western music. Maybe?
-
Well it is also a song about Okinawa which is why it was written to sound like one.
I don't know the original of that song but but it's been a really long time since I listened to gamelan music. This could be the start of another rabbit hole.
-
Every once in a while I have an interaction with one of my peers where they want to rub my face in the fact that the music I like is WEIRD. I never understand why this happens. We were taking turns putting on youtube videos and they hated the video I put on and got MAD about it. I tried to put on something fun that people would like. But no.
What is the deal with this? "Name a band you like that's currently popular." I literally don't know what "bands" are popular... are there bands, groups of people that play instruments, that are currently selling a lot of albums? I like a few songs by Taylor Swift and Drake that I have heard at parties, but they are not the kind of thing I seek out.
This is the same way I feel when people are enraged about award show "snubs." I can't imagine going through life being surprised when others do not like the same things you like. Although I guess I kind of get it, because some part of me is still disappointed when I play something I love and everyone gets mad about how much they hate it.
It's weird because I have gotten way better at not adopting a snobby tone. But just saying "I don't really like ___" is enough to make people pissed.
-
The instrumentation is weak, but this guy's delivery (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8O0k6CpoJ8) is so perfectly Neil Young-ish.
-
The instrumentation is weak, but this guy's delivery (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8O0k6CpoJ8) is so perfectly Neil Young-ish.
That whole channel is great. Wow.
-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3nrPx725bJM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YA7bG3EKlmk
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qyLhk_ggeI4
Dream Syndicate is alright but I can't get enough of his mid career solo shit. My god.
He is also in the baseball project, which (at least their first album) has been a favorite for like a decade now.
-
I'm listening to the winner of the Most Onstadian Band Name/Album Title award. Beauregard Ajax/Deaf Priscilla (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDNjA5-8XPg).
-
Damn, this guitar tone is concentrated sex. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB6WZu8IAZg)
-
Damn, this guitar tone is concentrated sex. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB6WZu8IAZg)
In my estimation, THIS (https://youtu.be/HdHkaKGgTcg) should rank high on the list of greatest performances in rock and roll history.
-
In my estimation, THIS (https://youtu.be/HdHkaKGgTcg) should rank high on the list of greatest performances in rock and roll history.
Needs more tambourines.
-
That is always a good feeling.
My acoustic guitar, which I just realized I've had for 13 years, is sounding awful lately. Actually I guess it has had this problem for a few years now. The low E rattles around and sounds out of tune even when it's in tune. One day I'll have money and figure out what is going on there. I am pretty sure it has to be something wrong with the neck, which sounds... expensive.
-
My 12-string sounds increasingly like a mandolin or a banjo, which I find disturbing. Ask me how much I feel like buying a new guitar, though.
Ash I'll ask my gear-whore bandmate what he'd look for in a practice amp.
-
Probably you just need to turn the truss rod a little bit. Got an allen wrench?
-
Somewhere I do. I'll look into this.
-
this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU9fTmTsssA) is killing me. so good.
-
Haha, I was watching ween shit til like 5 am...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zzYykIA1xVg
-
Haha, I was watching ween shit til like 5 am...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zzYykIA1xVg
there's a bit of that song that reminds me of another song (https://youtu.be/sJVmbDm2DCM).
-
That new Replacements book was pretty great, but he weirdly never addressed the understanding I always had of their career-- they made a couple of amazing albums and then got more and more boring. I thought this was the standard storyline, it certainly was among my college friends. Hootenanny, Let it Be, and Tim were full of great songs that combined the energy of punk with some of the pop craft and complexity of classic rock. They also had a smattering of annoying noisy numbers and clunkers. Then they got further and further from that blend, with more and more boring songs that didn't have the same special spark. There was more support from their label, more of a push to get them on radio and MTV, etc... but it was too late, their best albums were behind them. In the book there's this idea that Paul Westerberg was getting better and better at writing songs, and the band was somehow holding him back. If that's true, why weren't his solo albums big smash hits? Because there are lots of singer-songwriter dudes strumming guitars, but only one Replacements.
Separately, I think sometimes about how there are a few bands in this category-- if you tell me a band "sounds like the Replacements" it makes me want to listen to them less, not more. I also feel this way about Neil Young, off the top of my head. I need to think about that part more.
-
Went to see a show with a great opener and a boring headliner-- the headliner was Allison Crutchfield's new band. I got there and wondered if her sister, Katie from Waxahatchee, would be there. I looked around and thought, haha, I wonder which one of these messy dark-haired women in a denim jacket with bangs is her. Every girl there had such a similar look. And then I looked to my left and she was THERE, unmistakably, because somehow even though she was dressed/groomed pretty much the same as everyone else there, when I saw her I just knew THAT IS A fuck*ng ROCK STAR.
There was this other band that fuck*ng blew me away, but their album online didn't impress me at all. Kind of confused. The lead singer/guitarist had this shimmery guitar thing going on and sang kind of like Michael Stipe, but the rest of the band was way punkier and had a lot of energy and rhythm. Every video of them on youtube has totally blown-out audio and doesn't capture it at all. Maybe I was standing in the speaker sweet spot and I'm the only person who thought it sounded that good.
-
On more than one occasion, I have seen a band live and really dug them, then bought their album and been disappointed. Sometimes it's just hard to capture that live feel.
-
Also, I am kind of into this new Bon Iver record. It's pretentious as hell but weirdly beautiful.
-
I usually have the opposite problem. See favorite band, they suck, I hate them for a month, then I go back to liking them.
-
What are you playing it through?
I plunked down $12 for this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016MV9CQI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and it showed up yesterday. Nifty little gizmo. I had been using my Zoom 505 as a headphone amp (and still will, it's fun to play with all the options) but this little guy is cool. I got it to take on our vacation which is coming up along with my utility guitar (https://www.amazon.com/Squier-Fender-Affinity-Telecaster-Electric/dp/B0002GOE6S/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1476383049&sr=1-1&keywords=affinity+telecaster).
-
Listened to her interview on Maron and then went and found this to listen to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iavwbKHAnYE).
She's blowing up, apparently. I liked it okay.
-
found this to listen to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iavwbKHAnYE).
Even better (https://youtu.be/5w49MDt1afY).
-
My brain all day today:
IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THIIIIS
IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THIIIIIS
IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS, KILLER WHAALES, KILLER WHAA-HAA-HAA-HAA-HAALES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccztRby3FAk
-
Oh god damn I love that album. But I like the one that came before even more. Keep meaning to check out his band camp stuff but haven't yet.
Drugs are better, drugs are better with friends
Friends are better, friends are better with drugs
Yesterday I read steppenwolf, today so much United States of America: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sb8Q4EHozjU
And, I love this album right now: https://oppositesex.bandcamp.com
-
My brain all day today:
IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THIIIIS
IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THIIIIIS
IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS, KILLER WHAALES, KILLER WHAA-HAA-HAA-HAA-HAALES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccztRby3FAk
Very nice!
-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXDAmuNJc-g
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mzroaG2oDVs
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JC7M9ztfS4U
-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXDAmuNJc-g
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mzroaG2oDVs
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JC7M9ztfS4U
That's a toe tapper.
-
Probably my favorite currently active band. Damn.
-
I think they just took over from parquet courts for me.
Or cloud nothings! But not super stoked on the tracks I've heard from their new one
Shit...or car seat headrest maybe.
I'm saying, yeah, the are a sick band. I also think you maybe posted some of their stuff in this thread? I know I heard parquet courts cause of Paul. I also think I might have posted some car seat headrest stuff before Carlos. Maybe we should keep posting the same three bands over and over. It can eventually become one of those bizarre corners of the internet. Though I guess maybe this forum itself already is.
-
Damn, I need to hear Car Seat Headrest. I saw them play one song before Protomartyr came on at a show I went to and they seemed great.
And my old roommates opened for Cloud Nothings! All I need is to see parquet courts.
-
Probably my favorite currently active band. Damn.
I think they just took over from parquet courts for me.
I found this performance (https://youtu.be/pv2ZZcJQjNg) compelling.
-
Oh yeah...I love that their look/stage presence seems to be three different types of high school burnouts and their English teacher.
-
Oh yeah...I love that their look/stage presence seems to be three different types of high school burnouts and their English teacher.
The guitar player has such a baby face. How old is he, 14?
-
Oh yeah...I love that their look/stage presence seems to be three different types of high school burnouts and their English teacher.
Haha, totally. They should make that their next album title.
-
Great news! Car Seat Headrest on KEXP (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZK3KrK_NlQ)
-
Great news! Car Seat Headrest on KEXP (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZK3KrK_NlQ)
That was pretty dang awesome. Although, I almost didn't make it through the long lead in. The singer's voice sounds a bit like Stephen Malkmus. I wonder if that's by design?
-
Saw a pretty good show last night. The first band covered "Don't Cry No Tears" and "Teenage Kicks," which was great. Then there was an annoying woman-wailing-over-electronic-beats thing, then a stupid New Order ripoff, and then a really good band that was kind of doing a Devo/Gang of Four ish thing with lots of interlocking bass and guitar parts at herky jerky rhythms. And finally, my friend's band, who are really technically talented but have no energy.
I am looking for a video of the band I liked, but they have an ungoogleable name.
Better: to get to this show I decided to experiment with the bus. I discovered there is an ultra express bus that stops a block from my house and goes to Williamsburg with only a few stops in between. This is now the Inev Goes to Shows Express.
-
Hooked on the Shameless Theme Song (https://youtu.be/b3KuMFXm2xk).
-
Hooked on the Shameless Theme Song (https://youtu.be/b3KuMFXm2xk).
Heh. Just started watching this show. It's like if Lyle Gabriel had six kids.
-
It's like if Lyle Gabriel had six kids.
Ha ha, seriously, that is a perfect comparison.
-
Currently listening to Neil Cicierega's Mouth Moods (http://neilcic.com/mouthmoods/), a mashup album specifically designed to make people angry.
AC/DC vs. Vanessa Carlton - ACVC (https://youtu.be/VqiHiMuEkes?list=PLbXR89ZyVbazhnYLZIUy2h2D1d7cwjRjW)
-
I'm fuck*ng pissed just looking at that title.
-
I was listening to that in my room and like four seconds in my roommate yelled that's mouth moods from his room. Sometimes I remember I have good people around me!
-
I'm not mad. In fact, I'm laughing. I find the whole thing funny.
-
Yeah, that's pretty heinous.
-
Friday boner (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3O1itGMGIs)
That's the best age.
-
oh my god (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzc3_b_KnHc)
there are 3 or 4 songs I discovered last week that blew my mind and i listened to them over and over. but then this one showed up and it was all over.
-
Whoa: my old roommates are opening for Guided by Voices
-
I was looking through recent posts in this thread looking for a video (turns out I didn't post it here) and I saw that I never told the resolution of my guitar troubles. In Philadelphia my roommate said "dude, your guitar was really out of tune." He handed it to me and it sounded great and had stopped rattling. I am very, very confused by this. But now it sounds great.
I swear I know how to tune a guitar... I've been playing guitar since 2003 or something. I have a tuner and also know how to tune the strings relative to each other by ear. How could it have been out of tune for multiple years?!
Alternative storyline which I now realize has to be the truth: he got stoned and played it without asking and used an allen wrench to fix it, but didn't want to cop to doing that the next day.
-
Sounds like he adjusted the truss road so that it would intonate correctly, but was afraid you'd be pissed off because he was fuck*ng with your guitar.
-
Whoa: my old roommates are opening for Guided by Voices
Niiiiiiiiice. My one regret from my musical career (assigned from never getting a record contract, though that may have been a mixed blessing) was that we never did a really good opening slot for anyone of note. The biggest one was probably when we opened for Life Sex & Death, who were actually on Warner Brothers at the time, but have you heard of them? Probably not.
During that era the band Murphy's Law came to our home club, and a local reggae/ska band opened for them. Those guys were fine at what they did, but completely the wrong fit for Murphy's Law, and the crowd just kind of tolerated them during their set. A loud thrash-punk band that sang about beer and other goofy shit? Dammit, we would have been PERFECT for that slot.
-
Here are two wildly different songs that I like:
[url = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAgHNa-J2so]Naked Giants[/url]
How to Dress Well (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLTVRu1P9VI)
-
Sounds like he adjusted the truss road so that it would intonate correctly, but was afraid you'd be pissed off because he was fuck*ng with your guitar.
Definitely. Damn, I only lived with those goofballs for a month, and their apartment was disgusting, but they were truly sweet guys.
-
Whoa: my old roommates are opening for Guided by Voices
Congrats to your friends.
-
Earlier in the week a co-worker said he was trying to get into new music. I referred him to my end-of-year playlists on Spotify (which I have posted in this topic in the past).
Yesterday he reported back on listening to them.
Him: "There was one thing I liked... Nick..."
Me: Nicole Willis and the Soul Investigators? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrH4fbIOA9o)
Him: "No, it was Nickel something. Nickelback?"
Me: "No."
Him: "Pretty sure that was it..."
Me: "NO."
Upon further review, it was Nickel Creek (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTodf_TAHbI). Yeah that's different.
He also actively disliked the Bon Iver song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Fx1yq3A8M) on last year's mix. Can't say I blame him; that's not a good starting point for Bon Iver, and that specific sound isn't for everybody. But what I like about it is that it could have been another pretty acoustic guitar and etherial keyboard song--you can hear that in the tune--but he chose to take it in a completely different direction.
-
Which reminds me, I never posted my 2016 mix here. Y'all probably saw it on Facebook a few months ago, but anyway:
https://open.spotify.com/user/carlosdelvaca/playlist/3x0v0zzyqrL43JNNbguVpa
-
I'm listening to Kepi Ghoulie's most recent album (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqzYecLcKnI&list=PLRkxhE3tyAg0FJDbp_F03Dx-75iebpoCO&index=1).
Big thumbs up!
-
I had gotten to a point where I couldn't enjoy the Smiths anymore. Then I spent an entire month at work listening to guitar pop bands with wimpy singers. I did not make the connection at first... but now I'm in such an intense Smiths phase. They're so good!
-
I had gotten to a point where I couldn't enjoy the Smiths anymore. Then I spent an entire month at work listening to guitar pop bands with wimpy singers. I did not make the connection at first... but now I'm in such an intense Smiths phase. They're so good!
I know, The Smiths are infuriating to me. I think I might really like them except I can't listen to them for more than 15 minutes without wanting to punch Morrisey in the face. Shut the fuck up you whiny little shit!
-
Somehow I had never heard this Chris Bell (of Big Star) solo album (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR594Kkxmzg). My new friend from my neighborhood suggested it to me
and she is very happy with her boyfriend. and it's really nice to meet someone who likes cool stuff who lives right on my block.
I don't understand how people can make something so beautiful with just a guitar. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB77ZHgwDpQ)
Also really into this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yVmqzDT85E) and I'm not sure why. I mean, other than She Loves You being a perfect song.
-
Is anyone else here really into Jenn Wasner (of Wye Oak fame)'s solo project Flock of Dimes?
Both the videos she's released from her album are really wonderful to listen to and to look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrw1E6xvYHE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOdgzTaco44
-
Is anyone else here really into Jenn Wasner (of Wye Oak fame)'s solo project Flock of Dimes?
Both the videos she's released from her album are really wonderful to listen to and to look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrw1E6xvYHE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOdgzTaco44
Yes.
For such a powerful voice she looks really nonchalant in her film clips.
-
someone on twitter mentioned it was the 50th anniversary of an album by the Incredible String Band. I'd never heard them so I found the album...
jesus christ this song is wrecking me. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EjND3dLVG4) This album is really good.
-
someone on twitter mentioned it was the 50th anniversary of an album by the Incredible String Band. I'd never heard them so I found the album...
jesus christ this song is wrecking me. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EjND3dLVG4) This album is really good.
I've heard of this band for a long time, but never got around to listening to them. Dang, not at all what I expected. Loving this song.
-
I know I bring this up at least once a year, but it blows me away how the more experiences I have in life the more intensely certain pieces of art speak to me.
A few years ago I went to Boston and spent a few hours in the museum of fine arts, where this painting (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/The_Daughters_of_Edward_Darley_Boit%2C_John_Singer_Sargent%2C_1882_%28unfree_frame_crop%29.jpg) totally killed me. In person it is ENORMOUS and I just got slapped in the face by how lifelike it looks... how candid their poses look, like an off-the-cuff photograph. I've always liked Sargent but I think of this one a lot. This week I was in Boston and thought of the painting so I read the wikipedia article... it says a lot of people think it's an allegory about puberty, with the girls retreating into their own world as they get older (vs the guileless toddler flopped on the floor).
On the same theme, aging and childhood, as a kid and teenager I hated "She's Leaving Home." I couldn't tell what I was supposed to feel and it annoyed me.
Now it really affects me every time. So beautiful. There are a few Beatles songs like this and A Day in the Life that are these perfect little glimpses into life and the older I get the more I love them.
There is also this crazy new remix of Sgt Pepper-- not trying to change the songs, just making a new mix with modern technology to preserve more of the sound quality of individual instruments that got lost to the magic of the magnetic tape process. It's so good, even if it's all in my head. (https://open.spotify.com/album/6b7ycwe2rxq6FkaupNuGoS)
If I think about it too hard I'm probably going to have a dumb opinion about how the magnetic tape quality is better. So. Preemptively gonna stop thinking about it and just listen to the music. I'd say most songs sound better, She's Leaving Home sounds kind of weird, Good Morning sounds strangely compressed and bad.
-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3q4klpYJE
Another person out here proving there is something about drugs alcohol and depression that makes art deeper? Or mean more? I am so clean right now but it's true. I just am trying to make a good life not good art.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwyh3zQ6vPg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3KSaXdG0ML4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zaWkvqah9W8
-
I love those guys, just saw them again in April. Can you tell that's Patterson Hood? (https://goo.gl/photos/D66jST8sa5mJmLve7)
-
I've been real into them recently.
-
Midnight - In League With Satan (https://youtu.be/WTf2tLWvn1c)
Long live Gwar (https://youtu.be/gE6lohKcDmQ)
-
God Colony ft. Flohio - Fights (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z40Cs5i-MM0)
it's dooooooooope
-
Black spiritual tradition + black metal = fuck*ng awesome (https://youtu.be/kWm7kipmC8o?t=1m35s) (skip the intro if necessary)
-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3q4klpYJE
Another person out here proving there is something about drugs alcohol and depression that makes art deeper? Or mean more? I am so clean right now but it's true. I just am trying to make a good life not good art.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwyh3zQ6vPg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3KSaXdG0ML4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zaWkvqah9W8
"I drink a half a case of beer before getting home from work
Daddy needs his medicine to keep his hands off mamas throat"
Why Henry Drinks (https://youtu.be/zodqgOT4xmA)
-
God Colony ft. Flohio - Fights (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z40Cs5i-MM0)
it's dooooooooope
I've really gotten into boxing lately. It's a long story, I'll get into it later.
-
Midnight - In League With Satan (https://youtu.be/WTf2tLWvn1c)
Long live Gwar (https://youtu.be/gE6lohKcDmQ)
I remember the good old days when you could actually get some publicity by being controversial. All Sally Jesse Rafael pooping her pampers. Now, we've got Alex Jones advising the White House, who has time for fictional Satan?
-
Long live Gwar (https://youtu.be/gE6lohKcDmQ)
I regret that I was so late coming to the table for GWAR. Love it!!!
-
I stumbled past an aqua bats show in Hollywood last night. Was hoping ash would be there but knew he wouldn’t. I’m going to the farmers market in Hollywood today if you were and are still in town!
-
We might have seen each other! My car was 10 feet to the south.
-
wait what
Berninger [lead singer of The National] prefaced the performance of "I Need My Girl" with a dedication to Former US District Attorney Sally Yates, with whom he had a romantic relationship in university
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Need_My_Girl
-
citation needed
-
yeah that's pretty much bullshit. Would be amusing if true though.
-
Could be good for both of them should she ever run for office.
-
Also, when did Hollywood start smelling like a ginourmous weed factory, I miss the old smell of Bum Piss?
Kevin Smith is to blame (https://youtu.be/em_Rc5OdjvM)
-
YOU'RE ONE OF THEM THEM ONE OF THEM (https://youtu.be/PMcThL9UhiQ?t=827)
I used to be. I'm not anymore.
-
Going through a heavy jazz phase over the last half-year. I just listen to the same Bill Evans, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, and Thelonious Monk albums over and over.
Troubling: the GF hates jazz. She doesn't understand why they play so many ugly notes. I on the other hand have crossed the magic threshold where the jazz stuff I used to dislike sounds great to me now. Long bass solo? Yes please.
-
Which albums are you listening to?
-
Bill Evans-- Portrait in Jazz, Everybody Digs
Miles Davis-- Kind of Blue, the series that are like Cookin, Workin, Steamin, one more.
Coltrane: A Love Supreme
Mingus: Mingus Ah Um, something live on youtube that I forget the title of
Thelonious: I think it was Underground?
-
Bill Evans-- Portrait in Jazz, Everybody Digs
Miles Davis-- Kind of Blue, the series that are like Cookin, Workin, Steamin, one more.
Coltrane: A Love Supreme
Mingus: Mingus Ah Um, something live on youtube that I forget the title of
Thelonious: I think it was Underground?
I have 2 of those albums, Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme. I really dig both of them a lot. I also have Miles Bitches Brew and it does nothing for me. I have a Mingus album, His Final Works, but i haven't been able to get into it either. I figure it's probably not his best. It's either scraps they pieced together from inferior rejects after he died or it's actually his final works as a frail doddering old man. Yikes, he was 56 when he died. That's how old I am now. Anyway, there is this one Mingus tune* (https://youtu.be/__OSyznVDOY) came to me by way of a Mixtape from long lost board member Bozack. It cooks! Also, you should add Brubeck Time's Out to your list. It's essential listening.
I don't think I've "crossed that magic threshold" yet, but I feel I'm getting closer. When I hear a movie with a jazz score I generally enjoy it. So I'm that close, just not to the point, except for those notable exceptions I've mentioned able to listen to Jazz on it's own.
*This is a different recording than the one on Bozak's mix, but still pretty fuck*ng great.
-
If you like Kind of Blue you might like Bill Evans, he is the piano player on Kind of Blue.
-
Paul, have you listened to In a Silent Way? It was released the year before Bitches Brew and I think marked the beginning of his electric fusion period. I like Bitches Brew (though I almost never listen to it) but I love In a Silent Way. It's my favorite Miles Davis album and one of my favorite albums of any genre. I'm curious to know what others think about it.
I like Mingus a lot. My favorite album is probably The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (another favorite album overall) but also love Pithecanthropus Erectus (I believe Aug was the first person to recommend that one to me) and pretty any much anything Mingus recorded. I really like Mingus.
I haven't listened to Monk in a while, I think I'll listen to a couple of his albums this weekend.
-
Paul, have you listened to In a Silent Way? It was released the year before Bitches Brew and I think marked the beginning of his electric fusion period. I like Bitches Brew (though I almost never listen to it) but I love In a Silent Way. It's my favorite Miles Davis album and one of my favorite albums of any genre. I'm curious to know what others think about it.
No, I haven't actually. Well maybe I have. I've heard lots of Jazz that wasn't identified.
-
You should be utterly not surprised to hear that Neko Case put on a good-ass show.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neko-case/2019/lincoln-theatre-washington-dc-339580a9.html
-
I continue to be frustrated by people's inability to commit to going to shows.
Had a text exchange with a friend when the Massive Attack tour was announced. They're gonna do Mezzanine in its entirety! With Lis Frasier and Horace Andy! His response: "Whoa."
Which is not "Cool let's go" so I did not buy tickets. And now the cheap tickets are gone, and there's only $100 box seats left. sheeeeeit
-
yeesh. Yeah, finding friends to go to shows with is way too tough. I used to go to things by myself a lot when I moved to NYC, but now it's more likely I just... don't go to things. The GF is willing to see things when I ask but it's usually pretty obvious she is not really enjoying it, even when I think it's something she might like. It does not help that she gets up at like 5am most days so getting to a show that starts at 10pm over an hour away from her apartment is... rough.
-
ugh, that is really asking a lot. I can't imagine it being worth going to an event that starts at 10 when I had to get up at 5am for anything short of the second coming of Christ or the landing of the first extraterrestrials, and even then, for sure you'd be able to watch it on YouTube the next day so I'd still hesitate.
-
ugh, that is really asking a lot. I can't imagine it being worth going to an event that starts at 10 when I had to get up at 5am for anything short of the second coming of Christ or the landing of the first extraterrestrials, and even then, for sure you'd be able to watch it on YouTube the next day so I'd still hesitate.
Well, yeah, I don't invite her to things on weekdays. Even on the weekends she's tired and ready to go to bed by 10. But she refuses to admit when she doesn't want to go, so my solution is to not suggest it.
-
Well presumably she makes the effort to go because she can see how important it is to you but there's only so much you can expect of that, you know? I think in any long term relationship, you sometimes take turns going to things as a favor to your partner that you would just as soon skip if you were left to your own devices. I think in those cases showing up is enough, it's not fair to also expect fake enthusiasm.
This reminds me that I have seen a relationship break up partly because the guy didn't seem to understand the lifestyle consequences of the fact that my friend's job required her to get up at 4.30 am. and not everyone can easily maintain a totally different sleep schedule on their days off.
-
If I gotta go, I buy my ticket, get a good viewpoint and rock out by myself.
Oh I am all about the balcony these days.
Weeknights can be tough, sure; it has to be a show I'm SUPER excited about to get out on a weeknight. But even on the weekends, people are non-committal and don't want to do shit.
And I guess that's the thing, being non-committal. If someone said "Meh, I'm gonna pass," that sounds totally cool. But instead it's like "Oh, I like them," or whatever, but not "Yeah let's do it!"
-
Yeah, we already have that night owl/early bird thing going on, usually she goes to bed around 10 and I read a book or code until midnight. It's very nice. She just feels like she is letting me down when I go to things without her. Even though she goes to things without me?
[I think maybe what I need is... a guy friend to go to shows with. I think "dan is out to a show with his fun rock and roll gal pals" is not her favorite because she feels like she is being compared. "{gf} is boring so I'm going out with Asherdanielle The Fun Girl" Unfortunately I am not friends with many men!]
-
My GF's family got her tickets to see this new NPR show that replaced Prairie Home Companion. It was billed as an episode about the influence of Scottish and Irish traditional songs on American folk music, which sounded awesome. Instead it was 2 hours of... something else. I guess maybe it was more like modern American music that is influenced by 1960s/1970s Irish/Scottish musicians.
There was one really awesome part: the host brought 4 of his buddies who are regulars at an "Irish Music Night" at a bar on the lower east side. They set up their chairs in a little circle and played some classics with accordion, fiddle, etc. That was really awesome to see in Carnegie Hall.
(Also, Bela Fleck. Not my cup of tea but always nice to see someone who's a master of their instrument at that level.)
-
Metal. Lots of metal. The new Panopticon and Noctule albums are very good.
Also, Built to Spill, The Kinks, Fugazi and The Jesus Lizard.
Some things change, some things never change.
-
I can't remember if there are any other Low fans here but they just dropped a new song: https://youtu.be/d8QiSZRX8dA
Really excited for the new album.